Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media Welcome Home to the Natives.
Speaker 2: On Tuesday, Tennessee was called into special session to get rid of the sole black district, majority minority district. Unfortunately that's represented by Steve Coin right now, but it is a majority minority district, and Justin Pearson was said to challenge Steve Coin in this district that Justin Pearson, of course, is the state representative there. The voices, the very voices that Elliotts are describing, are those that were protesting. Let us please roll this clip of State Senator London Lamar protesting against the Republican redistricting efforts in Tennessee just on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Colonel Lamar, thank you, missus, speaker, but I'm not thankful to be here. I never thought in my lifetime did I be standing in a body surrounded by my colleagues who are going to erase the vote of my city and black people in Memphis. My constituents are angry right now, and just forty eight hours after this Supreme Court decision, you all decided that you're gonna slice black voters in Memphis. I need you to know this will be one of the most racist actions taken in the history of modern history of this legislature that you are participating in this week. Intentionally breaking state law to take my community's vote is downright disgusting and offensive. My grandmother, who's sinning watching of meet right now, still alive to this day, live with a moment where she could not vote, and I remember the smile on her face when her grand baby got elected in made history. And I know some of you sending in this body Ashley, don't agree with this. I know you don't, but this is an opportunity for you to have some courage, show some courage. Y'all know this is wrong. You know it.
Speaker 1: You know it.
Speaker 3: You don't have to do it. I'm calling on the soul of you to do.
Speaker 1: The right thing.
Speaker 3: Let's not carve out Memphis because you can't fairly win in a ballot box or to favor one member in this body's path to Congress. If you do this, this is racist in its intent and there's no reason for us to cut through it. Let's call it what it is. Call it what it is, show some courage. Thank you, mister speaker, potential yourself with modern history right.
Speaker 4: The crazy part about these men as though, like and this is like, my experiences is kind of unique when it comes to this stuff because I was on our I was one of the five people who drew actually drew the lines in South Carolina in twenty ten, and so I was able to travel around and do the town hall meetings and go in the rooms and actually take the maps out and go precinct by precinct with the guidelines of the Voting Rights Act and making sure we weren't going over bodies of water and splitting you know, streets, and trying to do that to the best of our ability, and getting that in South Carolina it was like thirty three thy seven hundred and one. That was like the number you were looking for. And then I had to testify in district court and then testify and then it went all the way up to the Supreme Court, and they wrote about it and all of these things. So I was able to see it from a really interesting perspective. And all of these maps stick out for one thing, they're patently legally absurd. The map that they're talking about doing in Tennessee. Take someone from downtown Memphis to be represented by the same person who represents a city two hundred miles away, Like it's patently absurd. When you look at the potential maps in South Carolina, they go from the top of the state of South Carolina, the border of Georgia and North Carolina all the way down to Buford, Like they cover hours of ground. Because what people don't understand is that black people ain't going nowhere. It's not like we're moving with the district, like the black centers in Memphis are going to be the black centers in Memphis. And so to do this, I think you're gonna have a hard time still passing the muster, even set forth by this bullshit Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: We got, well, we won't know because it's an imaginary one, right. The muster now is how they use so we're supposed to. We thought we had a guidepost when they said we still have Section two after they destroyed Section five. But then their justification here is so long as you can come up with a reasonable argument that you are removing or splitting, slicing and dicing this not because these people are black, but because you're trying to create a Republican majority, which they have created as constitutional Jerry mandering for the purpose of political advantage. And so since in the South, and I think probably all over the country, but definitely in the South, the correlation between race and political party, they're almost one and the same. Black people are Democrats, white people are Republicans. And so if you're drawing a district for political advantage, you can slice, dice, split black folks up into many subgroups, say we never recognize the power of our whole so that you can accomplish the goal of creating a Republican seat. And the member in Tennessee was simply saying, let's call this thing what it is. While the Constitution may have been plastered over by this current Republican majority in the United S of Supreme Court, giving you the s roud of dignity that you're building this for political advantage, we know you're building this to destroy black representative voice. But Cary, I thought that part of our conversation was about the fact that there are now black people in great areas in southwest Atlanta and you know, Tallahassee and the North Side and all these other places where they have argued with themselves to say, well, we can still elect a black person because we've done it in this case, and in this case, and in this case, and Ellie, I think did better than I could. I was attempting to make sure I guarded myself while I made the comment. But it's not that you're getting a poorer quality of black elected I'm not suggesting that. I am saying. However, all elected officials are not created equal, and different ones of us can do different things and show up in different ways for our community and be as effective as you can possibly imagine. But when it comes to the will, the realm of your authority that requires the public will, people have to give you your authority. They can limit it or they can expand it based on how they feel. And if you don't hear your voice being spoken the way you speak it, the way you do it, saying a thing that needs to be said the way it needs to be done, you risk losing out on a whole constituency of people who never rally on that issue because they never heard you talking about them. You may have been, but you were referring to boundaries and districts, and this person was talking about the grocery store and food on my table. So what we are being raped of, we're being just completely script of it's our ability to even in Tennessee, where they chose a white man to be their voice, the choice was still theirs as a community that could be made as a community because y'all had the we were and we weren't a single We were us and not one individual. And so now they have decided that we're so well healed we can win white votes and so we no longer need the concentrated fist to bring down its power whenever it needed to bring it down because the leader said so. And we're in compromise place, y'all, And I couldn't be more despaired by it, because I don't know what the road map looks like to overcome it. Yes, go vote, yes, organize.
Speaker 2: But you know, ag to this point, like I'm so glad you said, like you don't know where to go from here. I think that we have to understand what the bottom is and we still really don't know what the bottom is. And just for example, you all know we record our show Wednesday morning. Right before our show started, we got word that Louise Lucas, Senator Lucas out of Virginia, her office has been rated. This was proposed by Donald Trump's foe district attorney in Virginia that didn't have the credentials, that kept going after people like Tiss James, and who else did she go after in Virginia? I missing somebody Tis James and one other person. They had to throw the oh it's James, comey. They had to throw the cases out because she wasn't air tight on her way out. She suggests that it would be good for Donald Trump in midterms, energizing their base for the midterms by going after a powerhouse like Senator Lucas, who is the one of the people who championed Virginia's redistricting process to make the maps fair again, to make the electoral process fair again, by discounting what Donald Trump and his minions are doing in other Southern states. So they go after Louise Lucas today.
Speaker 3: God only knows for what.
Speaker 2: But the spectacle of an FBI raided her office of a cannabis dispensary across the lot of several other entities, dragging people out a swat tea going in. You know, I mean, that is what we're dealing with. So anybody that.
Speaker 4: Has you missed, you miss the most important.
Speaker 2: But let me just say this, anyone who has the courage to do the right thing in the face of this terrorist, this is what they're going to do back. They're trying to send a signal, a damn foghorn that if you do right, if you try to pursue, if you dare to pursue justice, and with this administration, these are the repercussions you will lose your freedom.
Speaker 1: Angelau, you're helping to draw the through line of.
Speaker 4: And it's important because Angela was Angela was correct, but she forgot one major point in her articulation of the facts arounding Louise Lucas. Fox News apparently had to wherewithal to stake it out, so they got the news first. So if there was any doubt or question, I wanted our viewers to and listeners to have the full context of what weaponization really looks like. Because the only news station that was there during the FBI raid, which, by the way, Elie, tell me if I'm wrong, but don't they usually happen right before Don or right around Don, but having it having it around lunchtime is just weird. But anyway, the only people who were there to record this was Fox News. I'm sorry, and everything else I want to say, I want to kudos, everything else, Angela.
Speaker 1: Said, I just that the through line is for me. We started talking about the election outcomes and Republicans solidifying their support behind Trump and Indiana. I am now trying to say there is no distinguishable difference between the people taking these actions and those who are empowering them to be able to do this by voting for their Republicans who are on the ballot, who are simply rubber stamps. Y'all are all the same. If you if if you wanted accountability on a runaway government, you have an easy way to do that. But but, but but this is the this is the beauty of understanding them, I think, is to see that they are in common cause despite the areas of disagreement that surface. The war may be an area of disagreements, and inconvenience, the price of gas might be an inconvenience right now, maybe a big one for some people if you are strained at every corner of your wallet. But where we still come home is that The New York Times is being sued by Trump's Equal Opportunity Office because a white man was denied a job, and a person who was non white got the job they were applying for. It is because her meat is going around advertising on online markers on the internet to white men to come and bring your case to me. Donald Trump's a hired hand to go after those people who have been taking from you, white men, what you so richly deserve. So the common cause the through for me is that I don't care how mad they get with Donald Trump. I don't care how many sound bites they offer of disagreement about his thing he did today, yesterday, or the day before, because they are still making common cause and they are still at peace with him when he is taking us out the picture, swiping us completely out the frame. So I don't have high hopes. I guess for me, if I had to go action, which is what we'll get to next. And I know we got another topic but we're gonna have to talk about after the show. But my ass would be to really come to terms people that we are not gonna be saved by anybody else. There is no gallivanting a group of Republican white folks that are going to surface this November and get us free. I don't believe it. I don't care what the polls show. I think they would may be mad today, but they gonna make common cause with the strand that runs beneath all of them. And so when you talk, we just have to do our part.
Speaker 5: When you talk about the road forward, I mean I go back to history. I go back to you know, Bakari was saying eighteen ninety six plus E v. Ferguson nineteen fifty four, Brown be boarded that what changed? What's the difference between eighteen ninety six and nineteen fifty four? And I have two answers for that. We had different Supreme Court justices and in nineteen fifty four.
Speaker 4: We had one that we had one that was that that literally transformed the court. Though Earl Warren was just a whole different beast.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 5: Katanji Brown Jackson got that dog in her right.
Speaker 3: She got thow dogs in us.
Speaker 4: But Earl Warren was a white man though, so it was a little different.
Speaker 5: Something we can, we can. We have the people that we need to have, they're just not on the court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right.
Speaker 5: And so when I always come back to Supreme Court expansion, when I always come back to the Supreme Court reform, this is why The thing that changed between eighteen ninety six and nineteen fifty four is that we had a completely different Supreme Court by nineteen fifty four, and we have to have a completely different Supreme Court than the Roberts Court in twenty twenty six. We have to like you. There is nothing you can do if you don't change the Supreme Court, because the Supreme Court will always exist as the stop, as the retardation on progress. That is their function. They understand their function. They understand that they are there four whites, including the black one. They understand that they're there for whites. And until you change the math on the Supreme Court, you change nothing. Can so I always can I do my call to action phone? No? No?
Speaker 2: Wait wait wait is that a call? That's the call to action? I have a question?
Speaker 1: You got it? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Okay, Sorry, Well I thought Ellie went off on a tangent, but I like that tangent and call to action. But I have a quick question for Ellie. I'm sorry, ag, but is there can you quickly like in thirty seconds so I'm not in too much trouble, my co host, can you forecast for us what you think is gonna happen in the birthright citizenship case.
Speaker 5: I think Trump is gonna lose that one based on oral arguments. I thought that was gonna be the bridge too far, and I think that they're gonna use that is to see we're not totally racist. We stared up to Trump' stuff, Like, I think that's gonna be how they go. I think they're gonna lose it seven to two. I could even make a case for eight to one, depending on what Clarence Thomas thinks I made. I made the argument that literally Thomas was not as down to get rid of birthright citizenship as I expected him to. I still think he'll I still think it's gonna be seven to two with Alito and Thomas dissenting. But I could even make a case for eight to one. But like Barrett just wasn't going for it. Neil Gorsich, I didn't think was going for it. I think he'll lose that one. Yeah, So you know, I'll come back here when we don't, when they win and e Crow.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you may listen to your favorite shows.