Speaker 1: They around the NFL podcast still believes in Sam Donald.
Speaker 2: Hell you from the Chris Westling podcast studio. It's around the NFL. I am Dan Hansas. I have Greg Rosenthal and Mark Sessler here, heroes, both of them. I do believe in Donald. Everyone knows that I've always believed in him. If he somehow has a like a genosience type situation, it's imagine how horrible I will be this year.
Speaker 1: Think about this, Think about the worst case scenario.
Speaker 2: If the Jets are good and Donald thrives as the start of the forty nine ers, I mean, what a monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Greg and Mark will be suffering from wire to wire.
Speaker 4: It would be like.
Speaker 5: The entire podcast from twenty and thirteen through twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: Like I was and Gino last year.
Speaker 1: You deserve that that victory walk you got left.
Speaker 4: I didn't really done. Actually, I take that back, I could have.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: I was always very careful because you were always very sensitive as a Jets fan not to not to enjoy the Patriots thing too much. You're certainly not to point out the Jets foibles.
Speaker 3: I would say on the Geno front, you were thoroughly Yeah, Chrino is perfect thoroughly the perfect because that was such a do you also surprised?
Speaker 2: Do you want to parade for not rubbing it in my face that the jet gess suck during the Patriots Unreal Dynasty ending?
Speaker 4: Do yeah?
Speaker 5: Have to hold back your natural in my natural fandom. It made my life point three four percent less enjoyable during those shows, and that's not cool.
Speaker 2: But that would have been serious punching down back then because that Patriots Dynasty.
Speaker 5: Sure there were moments though, because you love to enjoy the bad moments of se you love to nail it when that when Brady lost to the Titans, I will always remember that you you treated that as a celebration and it hurt.
Speaker 3: But I I mean you also you announced that Brady's career was over in like twenty fourteen, which was lightly that's incorrect.
Speaker 1: It was I believe like twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: It might have been around when was that that was well, that was my last task, that's right.
Speaker 5: I think it was actually twenty fifteen. If I had to guess that, you I think there were some yeah, it was, there were some things going down. You were gradual decline. They had won the title before, and you said, now now they're hitting the down slope.
Speaker 2: And yet, as all things do, it came to an end and now it's over.
Speaker 5: He's forty six years old today. By the way, I don't think that's on our news Rundown.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, congratulations Tom Brady. He also bought a piece of some some soccer team, and Talk Sport UK wants to talk about it with me.
Speaker 4: I have no insight on the soccer team.
Speaker 2: I would love if we could just get a bit of a you know, quiet moratorium on super rich athletes buying pieces of soccer teams. Don't overseascer. I don't doesn't matter to me. I'm happy for them. I hope they're invested in it in a way that goes just beyond the monetary I just don't need to hear.
Speaker 3: I don't even know why you need to say that you're happy for them. I'm not. No, I feel nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah're right, I feel nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, good for you. You're able to do something. None of us ken financially, and I have no interest in your investment.
Speaker 2: But let's talk about people who are relevant in the NFL. Greg because Tom Brady no longer relevant on his birthday, you know who else's birthday. It is today, Zach Wilson turns twenty four years old. You know who's starting for the New York Jets tonight in the Hall of Fame game in Canton, Ohio. Jets B Browns, Zach Wilson, the past and yes one day perhaps future of the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: That might be the most That might be the most intriguing aspect to that game, because I think we're going to see essentially no other starter.
Speaker 1: I'm so scared about that. By the way, I mentioned the.
Speaker 6: Game.
Speaker 2: No, no, not scared. I'm scared of the offensive line not coming together. But it's Aaron Rodgers and the backup Zach Wilson. Like, for all the excitement, can we just stick them at number three?
Speaker 5: I mean, this is the day if you want an all time great quarterback, August third. I'm just saying, if you're thinking of having a child next year and you want to try to time it August third, It's true, Zach and Tom.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's been in Global Warming News, the hottest summer on record and like a century I believe maybe ever I don't have.
Speaker 1: The full data.
Speaker 2: It's been hot as hell coast to Coast, which is for training camps.
Speaker 1: Ripe for even more battles. You know, tempers flaring.
Speaker 2: You get the sun and the heat with competition and camp, and it leads to a lot of drama every year.
Speaker 1: It's part of it. This is what happened.
Speaker 2: This courtesy of Clarence Hill, who covers the Cowboys his Twitter or x is it his excellent whatever.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 2: Here's Dak Prescott in the red practice jersey. They're near the goal line.
Speaker 1: He's he's forced out of the pocket. Rolling to his right.
Speaker 2: Makes a man miss taking out. Well, that didn't go so well, Trayvon Diggs. I don't think you could hear anything but Trayvon Diggs. Here's the transcript of what Diggs said to Prescott. Shut your bitch ass up. M I just want to say I love it. I love that these two superstars on the same team. That's how it goes in the summer, in these training camps, they are enemies for about six weeks or whatever until they have to be a brotherhood come week one. Trayvon Diggs to Dak Prescott, Deak Prescott, shut your ass up.
Speaker 3: I was at a restaurant yesterday and you know, there's always the.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, where is this going?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't address him, no, But up on the screen was they had this story. Uh you know, it was like f S one or ESPN or something, and it was, uh, you know, is this a big deal in Dallas? Is this something to be concerned about because you have to always.
Speaker 4: Go a directionally?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, but of course they're gonna do that.
Speaker 2: But like Skip day, Listen had exploded television, I think it's just it's part and parcel of August.
Speaker 5: It happens ten times a day, like at every camp practice. I don't know those exact words, but some sort of uh altercation or trash talk.
Speaker 1: I have fun when it's stars doing it, but it is not uncommon, at.
Speaker 5: Least in Cincinnati. I remember reading like the first day or two of camp like ORLANDA. Brown and Trey Hendrickson got into it almost right away because Trey Hendrickson is almost famous, and this is going back to do his New Orleans day and Cincinnati that like he goes insane and practice like trigger Tray.
Speaker 4: I think it's because he's got a trigger.
Speaker 1: You saying that again, Trigger Tray, why are you saying it? Like it's a you're.
Speaker 2: Dropping bars here in the studio to a tray.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Maybe that's because he's not like a hair trigger temper.
Speaker 5: I didn't even really think about it, but he just goes so hard that the first time you see it, it's almost like, what the hell man, Like it's almost too much.
Speaker 4: But people say, that's.
Speaker 1: Just sort of hair.
Speaker 5: That's just sort of how he is all the time, and it's helped him in his career. And and maybe trigger tray Von, how about.
Speaker 1: Oh pretty good hair trigger temper Tray.
Speaker 3: Let's roll off the tonguey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's uh we have a great show coming up.
Speaker 1: Peter Sweeney, how great is this?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Greg you brought him up in Passing a couple of days ago. What a great job he does over at Arrowhead Pride, Uh, covering in the Chiefs And let's check in with Peter Sweeney and the defending world champion Chiefs a little bit later. Also check in with Tony Fox, who's been traveling across this scorching nation visiting camps, and she's gonna check in and tell us what she's been up to, including, by the way, a wild road trip two person road trips.
Speaker 1: She was on you're gonna hear about But first of the news.
Speaker 6: This summer's two big movies. I don't know if you haven't a speaker or a movie. This summer's two big movies, Barbie, that wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Be one of them.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't be one of them. Okay, Oppenheimer's out, I've not seen that. That'd be interesting.
Speaker 2: So Scott Pioli, our own Scott Pioli there with NFL Plus goes way back the hours. Now, once upon a time he was Bill, So he feels confident asking Belichick greggive that question on the practice field and not worrying about being cast out of the Patriot Way forever Bill. They scold him privately after the interview. We don't know, But no Barbie for Bill. But he'll see Oppenheimer probably in the offseason.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: He loves to talk about and like old World War two era and history whatnot.
Speaker 4: If these books on the shelf.
Speaker 5: I think that's very much in Belichick's ali, But I wish he would open his mind to Barbie because I think it might hit more with the players if he was going to show one to the player or the other. I think it might be a good way to sort of trojan her some feminism into Bill Belichier.
Speaker 3: Why does he reject it out of hand?
Speaker 2: Well, I have a theory in certain corners of the culture wars, Barbie has developed a lot of heat and aggression from the conservatives about how the film presents and or something.
Speaker 5: I don't actively squash the movie's success. It really works.
Speaker 1: I don't know where where Belichick comes down.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, we know.
Speaker 4: He's you know, signs over.
Speaker 2: The years, So it's possible he's dismissed Barbie out of hand based on maybe a television cable channel he watches.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but i'd also I'd also suggest that probably Belichick hasn't spent ample time reading reviews of Barbie. I think it's like if you just thought there's a movie about Barbie the Doll, Like it's something more than that. There's different layers to it. I don't know if Belichick has gone down the road to discover what the movie might be about. So you just think it's Barbie the Doll. I don't want to see that, right.
Speaker 5: He probably hasn't gone back and watched Francis ha like, not familiar with.
Speaker 4: Like, oh wow, Greta Gerwig.
Speaker 5: Actually she did a great job modernizing Little Women, even though it was set back then, but making it kind of relevant for today.
Speaker 4: Let's see what's happening. Maybe is not thinking you've.
Speaker 2: Seen both films? Mark, Yeah, better use of your twenty dollars?
Speaker 3: Which of the two films?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can only see one.
Speaker 2: And I'm not talking about artistically in terms of obviously Christopher Nolans you know.
Speaker 1: Gift right, So was Gerwig like, what is if you I see one? All right?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't you know, that's an interesting off the fence. Bro I think Oppenheimer like, it does everything that you expect, and it did everything that I thought it would do. Barbie, I think I would give a little bit of a nudge to Barbie over Oppenheimer kind of like, uh, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: What Maybe it's time for another Belichick letter to Bill let him know.
Speaker 3: Wait, Like, what if I, honestly I will write him a letter telling him why you should see Barbie? What if I actually do write that, we'll do that. I'll do that.
Speaker 1: Can you read it on the show and we'll send it off.
Speaker 3: But yes, I will absolutely send this.
Speaker 2: Rapaport rap Shoot was on the show last week and he said, if we honestly and in good faith reached out to Belichick or his people or the Patriots, maybe not the Patriots, if we can find a way to get a little bit closer, he might come on the show.
Speaker 3: If we know something not football, we cannot ask a single football question. It had to be another topic that he's drafted to.
Speaker 4: Eric, maybe world War two.
Speaker 1: The ask has to be out about Barbenheimer.
Speaker 2: I know it's a little past its due date in terms of pop culture that conversation, but just in general, maybe talking films.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll get him during a training camp week one.
Speaker 3: I think we're I think we're a couple of months off target on that. It would have been probably better in May or June. But like you're right, well why not try? But I will write.
Speaker 1: Good, good good.
Speaker 2: Ron Rivera, he was on our show yesterday kind of did our press conferences.
Speaker 1: That was fun.
Speaker 2: He is and in that fake press conference he talked about Sam Howell, the second year quarterback, former fifth round pick, and of course Jacoby Brissette, the veteran, the well tried. He's officially a well traveled veteran. Jacoby Brissett, but he's been effective pretty much everywhere he's ever played.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Here is what Ron Rivera had to say about this QB battle, which a lot of people think it's Hal's job to lose.
Speaker 1: But Rivera, he says, hold your horses, bra.
Speaker 7: As I've said a couple don't sleep on Jacoby. He's done a nice job as well. I mean, we got some really good quarterback play going on right now. We've got a real good quarterback room. We're very happy with what we've got right now.
Speaker 4: That was sorry to step on Frags is beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, never can't do that. This is this is not like fighting in training camp. Mark. This is nothing new.
Speaker 2: We've been covering bad camp battles for a long time at the quarterback position, and coaches talking themselves or trying to talk the media into it not being a major concern.
Speaker 1: This one continues.
Speaker 2: I continue to bump up again against it, especially in a very difficult division. I think the commanders are in for trouble. But maybe maybe he's right and everyone's wrong.
Speaker 3: I Mean, the one thing I'd point to is that last year in Cleveland, under the direction of Kevin Stefanski, Jacoby Brissett tenth and epa per drop back effective week to week, an incredible teammate. But actually I thought his best work as a quarterback came last season. So it's like, I don't think this is completely untrue. I just think in general, year to year Washington under Ron River, it's like you're heat seeking the most milk toast quarterback situation all the time, Like why you you've drafted no one. You can say what you want about Jacoby Brissett, but he's still going to be a middle of the pack guy on a team that has no quarterback.
Speaker 5: I just thought those quotes who are like push it, you know, it was just textbook coach trying to say the nice thing while thinking haamnahamanahama. Because the reports and why I think it's notable is the reports out of Washington is it's been pretty uneven and Jacoby Brissett hasn't looked great either. That the offense has been struggling, which is not a huge shock with that defensive line there. They're in the same defense for the fourth street year, and people kind of look past the Eric b Enemy is running an offense for the first time. It's a very different offense than what Scott Turner. So there's an adjustment period, but I think it's notable that it's looked pretty rocky. You got like the scrimmages coming up, but just like a little bit of a QB battle check in. We mentioned we hadn't heard too much about Trask Mayfield, like there haven't been screaming headlines. It seems to me like Richardson, Anthony Richardson is pushing forward in his quest to become the Week one guy.
Speaker 4: But we'll find out more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read that Baker has been struggling with turnovers in camp. The door should be open for Trask or at least to see some type is split there. In the forty nine ers, we touched on that recently. That's the other like.
Speaker 3: Doors open because the house is on fire.
Speaker 4: Where in Tampa you're saying, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Don't try to sell me on that situation.
Speaker 4: Occasionally they said, uh yeah, as we mentioned.
Speaker 1: Windows getting thrown over, getting some.
Speaker 5: Snaps there with Evans and Godwin, so uh, they said, throw it into the competitive cauldron.
Speaker 4: The competition cauldron.
Speaker 1: I love the competition cauldron. We need to build out a drop for that.
Speaker 2: People are like picking up end tables and throwing them through glass to try to escape people running through the sliding door. It's like that full run like you see in like a YouTube video right home.
Speaker 1: That's accidents.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the preseason matters for what for Howell more than most there's not too many preseasons that matters you guys.
Speaker 1: Ever walked through a screen door?
Speaker 3: I walked into ones very absolutely. I will a notable. This event happened to me in six.
Speaker 4: I've walked into a door. What were you saying?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: But it was in the sixth grade, like in someone's house where it was like they're like someone's playing music on a boom box and you're like slow dancing with people and all that kind of thing. And then like I'm going to go out to the porch and I walk right into a screen door. Just a disaster.
Speaker 4: At what a disaster Emica and I had sort of.
Speaker 1: Pretty the sixth grade party. It's terrible.
Speaker 3: It's like, call my mom, come pick me up. I'm out of here, walk into the ocean, take me out.
Speaker 4: Like it broke, it's done. I mean I didn't.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing, Like if I were powerful enough that I broke the screen, that would have met Okay, I didn't. I just bounced off it and kind of went backwards.
Speaker 4: At our way.
Speaker 5: We had a party in the town I grew up in, Wilbraham. My parents no longer lived there. With Western Massachusetts farmtown Dan, you would like that turkey farms apples on a peach, that's wholesome. We had a little party to like celebrate us getting married because we were getting married here in California with people that were from there. And my twelve year old cousin ran through and broke our screen door at our house, and like and my mom legit was like kind of mad at him and didn't seem to really forgive him easily. She was too hard, And I'm like, he's a kid, he's a kid.
Speaker 4: Just calm down.
Speaker 5: But they were like pretty hard that he destroyed the screen door.
Speaker 4: It's wherever and and our party.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as a dad who had a screen door in my previous residence and I had young sons that just walked through, that's that's eighty dollars repair and taking it off the track and then and you have to transport it to the hardware store unless you could do yourself, which I wasn't gonna do, got to bring it back.
Speaker 1: It's a whole nightmare.
Speaker 3: It's a chore.
Speaker 2: I in the same category before we move on. Junior year of high school. I'm at a high school party, a summer party in a backyard. It's my friend Sarah. She was my junior prom date. So there was some heat at the time around just being in this house for a party. There's a hammock in the backyard. I go to PLoP down in the hammock and I tumble knock the whole hammock over. And then her older brother Chris, a guy I kind of thought was a cool guy, and he was a cool guy. He he came up to me and was like Dan, like, no one's ever been able to knock that hammock over. So, in addition to being very embarrassing, it was like, Dan, you must be like seven hundred pounds like you took out the hammock. So it was like just a low moment embarrassing. These are wounds, like you remember exactly how you felt when you went through that screen door. Yeah, and I could still picture that hammock going on me in a big spot.
Speaker 3: Never really healed from any of it.
Speaker 4: And it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: In other news, Alvin Kamar is on a tough spot.
Speaker 2: Because, as you may or may not know, that he was involved in a skirmish in Las Vegas around the Pro Bowl. It was a felony that he pled down to a misdemeanor evolving the assault of an individual. So the legal sides resolved, but the NFL side of it in terms of discipline, remains up in the air. Here is the latest on that Kamara met with Commissioner Roger Goodell on Wednesday in New York regarding the incident that happened last February, and we shall see raps. She'd said on Inside Training Camp Live this morning that in terms of a projection, there is the understanding this will be a suspension.
Speaker 1: Is it gonna be two games, four games, six games?
Speaker 2: They don't know, Ian said, And this was interesting to me Mark that you know, it kind of depends on how Camara could give Goodell some understanding on how this happened. I don't know how you spin something like this, but it could make a determination of how long one of the Saints' best players is on the field.
Speaker 3: So it's tough for when there's video to try to spin it in any way. I mean, I guess you know, these suspensions, there's no real roadmap for us to know how long they'll be. I don't know what you can say to the commissioner to affect him in one way or the one way or the other he was asking for commission I well, I guess if anything, if you come with if you're contrite, if you really are, if you if you're back on the situation and say like I'm taking accountability for it. I made a mistake, I want to correct it, blah blah blah. But like you know, we've seen some players were suspended in the last couple of years where it's like you get their explanation, they seem to have no accountability. All right, Well here, where are you coming from?
Speaker 1: On that one?
Speaker 5: He tried to end the legal process as quickly as he could with accountability through a lawyer pleading no contests and had to pay the victim one hundred thousand dollars UH and serve thirty hours of community service. So I think he's tried to get this process through. It might not be the worst thing in the world for Alvin Kamara to skip a couple of games considering his age. But my god, there's been some chatter at Saints training camp. But I've got to say, I know you don't want to fall for those little clips or something, but I think you can sometimes see them things.
Speaker 4: In those little clips.
Speaker 5: The year, like last year, we've looked at Saquon, We're like, actually, Saquon kind of looks like again.
Speaker 4: And he looked like Saquon again.
Speaker 5: Alvin Kamara looked like Alvin Kamara juice. He looked like the juice is back, and they're okay. In the meantime, Jamal Williams our friend.
Speaker 1: Is there, Jamal Williams is there?
Speaker 2: Obviously a lot of talk about the rookie they brought in as well as Kendry Miller. Yeah, I think you know you and I are on other sides of the fence, Greg And what is Kamara in twenty twenty three superstar or not? If he you don't have to give him like Derrek Henry touches and they haven't really for him to be highly effective, maybe you just work him into the offense in a different way and he's better than ever.
Speaker 5: Could I have waited around before taking Kamara in our running back draft? That we did, and I think perhaps you could have am I more said, was a disaster for you. That's what you guys think.
Speaker 1: Did you take Jonathan Taylor?
Speaker 5: I took Taylor too, and I don't care. We we haven't gotten to the football yet. We haven't gotten to the football. Am I more confident and more surprised at low back of any take I had all off season? Then that Alvin Kamara is like a top ten running back? Give me a break. Kamara is gonna smoke all of you. And I'm gonna be as obnoxious about him this year as.
Speaker 1: I was about what happens if.
Speaker 5: Really terrible, like he's literally never had under thirteen hundred yards in a season.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he's really fallen off. He's coming back.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe we don't see him til week seven, so at least we can fend off.
Speaker 4: Your I'm putting it over under and a half game.
Speaker 2: Is your other running back you took in that draft? Is he going to play this year? So so far we don't. We don't have confirmation that either of those.
Speaker 4: It took bijonright number two.
Speaker 3: All right, it's a disastrous episode for Greg.
Speaker 4: I am looking forward to Camara.
Speaker 5: Jonathan Taylor having incredible seasons together and me honking about it. It's gonna give some juice to that running back draft.
Speaker 3: You know that it bugged him, it killed him, It ate him up.
Speaker 4: They made a.
Speaker 3: Graphic, put it out on Instagram, and he's getting killed by the public.
Speaker 1: Just destroyed, roasted daily.
Speaker 2: Finally, in the news, Desmond speaking of underwhelming quarterback battles, Desmond Ritter, it's not even a battle because the second round quarterback, after taking over for Marcus Mariota late last season, is locked and loaded as the QB one. In Atlanta, Arthur Blank, the owner of the Falcons, came out and told reporters that he saw Ridd as a franchise.
Speaker 1: QB former third round pick.
Speaker 2: Here is what Rider had to say about I felt good about the big man upstairs saying that not God, Arthur Blank.
Speaker 8: Yeah, obviously for me, you know that that's covering for me, you know, obviously knowing that you know, mister Blank and everyone in the organization believes in me, and you know my skill set, and then you know, at the end of the day, for myself, it's about you know, putting the higher expectation. You know, even what they have for myself and going out and trying to exceed that and be better.
Speaker 1: What's U the mean about.
Speaker 5: Someone who never heard I didn't know much about him Desmond Ridder's voice before.
Speaker 1: Do you I never saw him like with the helmet off talking like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Mahomesy in the voice a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's from that neighborhood a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly, And it's not been a problem for mahomes.
Speaker 5: I mean I always got on Tom Brady's cadence and the whole look got a voice gotta caught me off guard, graatest of all time?
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't know, there is something straight. I don't know why that the word comfort?
Speaker 2: I think like, well, Dave Eely just came into the newsroom. Why okay, I mean it came in behind the glass.
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 4: This is a surprise? Why is he doing this?
Speaker 3: This is a bigger Knives item than the Desmond behind the glass?
Speaker 4: Well, I was got a call.
Speaker 5: I was bringing in Ealy as a surprise for after the news. But we can we can interrupt it with with Eeli. Now I think it's developing.
Speaker 4: If we need to get back to Ritter, we could interrupt.
Speaker 1: I don't think we have to get back to Ridder good luck to you. So we have.
Speaker 3: For the third show.
Speaker 5: Heally came to Mark and I to give some context of something he wanted in today's show, and it felt uncomfortable. We were like, Eally, why don't you just come on if you want to? Oh, I love this idea.
Speaker 3: I didn't propose to Dave. How are you to be in the show?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 9: You know, just it tc going well, it's a good time.
Speaker 4: He runs the newsroom over there, the news.
Speaker 1: Does it beautifully.
Speaker 2: Dave, we worked at Forever famously had a girlfriend that left him.
Speaker 1: Now she's married to somebody else, and the Panthers almost won the Super Bowl a few years back. I think we're caught up.
Speaker 9: Really, I think the listeners forgot my backstory. So I'm glad to.
Speaker 1: Pick it up again.
Speaker 9: Dave.
Speaker 1: We love you. What's up?
Speaker 9: It's just you know something I've noticed this week. You guys are doing a lot of shows, so that means you're here in the office a lot, and Mark and Greg on multiple occasions have made it a point to come through the newsroom. We've had some conversations and it's just kind of dawn on me that you haven't. So I just want to know if Arthen's good. Have you forgotten we've come from?
Speaker 1: This is what this is about.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know it's as someone who's pad three instagrams about integrity this week. It's just it's not squaring to me. So I want to know what's up.
Speaker 4: Common man rankings taking a hit.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair, that's absolutely fair. I apologize.
Speaker 2: I should be more attached to the newsroom where I got my start at this company. Now as the host of the program, a lot of pre show work, and I'm always as Eric, you know, we're just going through or cranking through content, a lot of research, a lot of building out the show. I actually have two tapings today. I'm recording two separate podcasts.
Speaker 9: Saying that you're busier than Mark and Greg.
Speaker 1: I'm a little bit a little bit right now today I am busy.
Speaker 5: Well, would you deny that you are always the last in the building out of the three of us. So if you got there earlier, that would give you a little time to to schmooth counterpoint.
Speaker 1: Well, that is that's now.
Speaker 2: Now you're talking about what's the preferred place to do your pre work?
Speaker 1: Ahead of the show. I choose to do it away from the office and away from distractions.
Speaker 9: Oh so we're a distraction.
Speaker 2: Uh, you can be at times. Not you in particular, but a lot of people. If I try to get here early for saying, go to say and go and sit at my desk, I don't I love it, But like I'm trying to, like get ready for the show.
Speaker 3: And there's just a lot of people want to a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Don't stop ice. And I love talking. I love chopping it up with the people that I work with.
Speaker 2: I I would say that I have a more I have a more friendly demeanor than either of these two guys.
Speaker 9: I like, yeah, I told, I told Dave the spin coming from Dan right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I told.
Speaker 1: I love chopping it up with colleagues. I love the office setting colleagues, he loves the people.
Speaker 3: I predicted this would not go well, and I feel like my prediction is that.
Speaker 1: What do you mean not go well?
Speaker 3: I mean there's no way, there's no way that this is going to end with any I don't know what you're aiming for, David early and trying to.
Speaker 9: Get dan apology, Mark, do you want to go back to desbon rider talk.
Speaker 2: No, I don't so I do appreciate, but if you want an apology, yes, I'm going to make more of an effort to stop in and say hi.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was like this, it's a business relationship, you know, this business is about relationships.
Speaker 2: But like cessa like eats his lunch in a car, basically I did that once.
Speaker 1: It's like, why am I the guy?
Speaker 9: We're okay?
Speaker 4: I've also that got.
Speaker 5: The biggest producer room laugh that we've had in a long time.
Speaker 4: That was good. We need.
Speaker 2: I'm not pointing out I'm not trying to go after you, Mark, but I'm just saying, why am I being targeted as being detached when he's.
Speaker 9: Going Because they've talked to us, We've seen them this week.
Speaker 5: This is what he this is what he was looking for. You asked what David Eely was looking for. Mark was like, I am not doing that, David early and I thought, yeah, why don't definitely ide I'll.
Speaker 3: Tell you why because I'm going to give you the act. Let's be fair and balanced. I think that Dan historically is probably more of a stopover, talk to people in the office guy than I am. So I was not its claiming arrow into Dan's like you know, mid section in more so.
Speaker 1: In Culver old our old offices, and you know what, again, that was a different environment.
Speaker 2: I think I missed those days in Culver, the more or intimate setting. It was just a different time. It doesn't mean we can't try to do the same thing here, but sometimes you can't get back to the way things were.
Speaker 9: I know, you know, it's progress is only forward.
Speaker 2: There was a period where there are no reverse gears in this tank when Greg was our boss.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had to have a somewhat stern interaction with Dave Danischek to stop talking to us because like news would be breaking, but we would just be talking to Dave for fifty to sixty minutes in a row. Those days are over.
Speaker 5: I'm much happier now. I'm leading the stop By power rankings. Everything's easier.
Speaker 2: I'll be better because I know you like if you want to rank like best stop Eyes, I'm beating out Greg.
Speaker 1: I'm a better stop By guy.
Speaker 9: I mean, my memory is not that good, so I don't know.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 1: I'm going to work on it all right.
Speaker 9: I appreciate that. Thank you for having me on, I said my piece back to your schedule programming.
Speaker 1: All right, there we go, Dave early, good appearance.
Speaker 2: This guest is, uh, you want coverage of the Kansas City Chiefs, the defending Super Bowl champions. It's not gonna get much better than Peter Sweeney, the editor in chief and lead writer for Arrowhead Pride, and now he joins us on around on around the NFL. Welcome Pete, thank you, thank you for having me a lot of sexual energy with.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: It's a Marshack test for guests. Yes, we already like it, but we've mentioned right before we started. You're at miss Missouri Western State University, which is where and you Reid uh sends his team during training camp. It's it's kind of out of fashion now for teams, uh to. You know, a lot of teams now just train at their team facilities. But Reid still sees as an old school guy. I guess value in at and you're in a what looks like an old cafeteria, and it seems very spartan in general for a team of this level, including the team that has perhaps the greatest quarterback who ever lived, eating in a mess hall.
Speaker 10: I can see you, guys.
Speaker 11: I'll describe it to the west here of Patrick.
Speaker 5: You can move your camera if you want, if you why, Yeah, this is really going to help the YouTube subscribers here see this.
Speaker 4: Wow, very humble.
Speaker 10: That's where the chiefs you know, eat and then a Starbucks is closed right now because there's no college students here.
Speaker 11: So ay, he likes to keep it old school, as I was mentioning, and I think he's been doing it for twenty plus years. I think it dates back to the Eagles, and not a lot of teams are doing it anymore. But he seems to really like the camaraderie. It's that thought process of you leave maybe as individuals, but you come back a team because they have the cafeteria and they're eating all their meals together, and they have dorms together. And so he likes he likes it, and it's working, especially these these past recent years.
Speaker 5: It's it's a little next level though with the dorms. There's very few teams that are still doing that. But it kind of coincides with something I've seen in terms of the coverage of practice. And Yeah, people should check out Arro because you really go in depth. You do a good job of saying everything that's have practice, but also some summaries of trends, who's who's looking good, who's not. And one thing I think is different about the Chiefs than other teams is they're given a max I think of four hours total and of some different portions of practice. And Andy Reid is very much practically the only guy left who just tries to use all those for hours. And you hear about when they actually put the pads on and you're and you're listening to like how these days are? It all feels very out of the nineties, even the two thousands, even teams like the Patriots aren't really like that anymore.
Speaker 4: So I guess just describe what's that? Like, what what's the thing in the play?
Speaker 5: Don't mind it because a lot of these teams are getting in and out of the off the field in like ninety minutes, and the Chiefs are just out there forever in the heat. But obviously it's worked pretty well.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Andy Reid, I think you always hear about the Andy Reid camp, and in talking to some guys who have not been career Chiefs, that's the key. They do confirm that it just adds another layer and the whole thought jure.
Speaker 5: Trenkels was mentioning like that this is absolutely brutal compared to like the Chargers, which.
Speaker 1: Was like a breeze.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the whole thought process is like we're playing into January and February. Let's make sure that we can breathe on the field. Let's make sure we still have some energy. Then if you go through this process, and I mean sometimes the real feel hits like one hundred, one hundred and one oh one by the time the practice was over. He keeps the guys out there. I remember guys throwing up last year. We already had someone throw up this year at the beginning of camp. And it's so that this is the hardest part of the year. And that's how he designs it as a little old school as you were saying, it's a little bit like high school college football. But he wants them to have that energy for you know, for the Chiefs, they usually end up playing, of course, the seventeen games, but they want to play eighteen, nineteen twenty, and so I think all that goes in today. For example, they had a sixteen play long period with Patrick Mahomes and the.
Speaker 10: First team offense. At this stage of his career.
Speaker 11: Patrick Mahomes doesn't need to be on eleven and eleven for sixteen straight plays, but they're like, now you're gonna earn it too, And it doesn't matter that he's two time MVP.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know, you know, reading reports of the overall aura of this camp that's been it's been real testy. I think there were three days in a row where there were fights, but Andy Reid's response to that sort of seemed to be total delight, where I know you sort of screaming like edge edge edge edge. It's like, is this how how is Andy Reid creating like the next frontier of like we've already achieved these Super Bowl wins? How do you make it fresh? Start over?
Speaker 9: Is it?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: This aggressiveness in camp because like a lot of these other camps, to Greg's point, like it's ninety minutes and it's hit the road and it's like keep play, Layers say, and off the field, I the Chiefs seem to be going all in on ultra madness.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So there's two points there. First, in the testiness, Travis Kelcey was getting involved in a lot of it, and I don't know if it's a Steve Spagnolo emphasis this year that says we're going to force turnovers and we wanted to be going even past the whistle. But for some reason, even the backups of the backups of the backups, everyone's grabby this year. They're poking the ball out and Travis Kelce's in his eleventh year. We're very old now Travis kel season is eleventh year and he has he's backups poking the ball out. So eventually you know he's gotten upset. And then I also noticed that there's a young player's been with the Chiefs a few years trying to push to make the roster, DiCaprio Bootle, probably like your six or seven quarterback. He is just chirping wall Camp and he's had Richie James and in his face. He's had other receivers that are not too pleased with the smack talk. And so when it's hot, you have the pads on. Finally you know you get some of that and you're right with the Andy Reid porch.
Speaker 10: You'd mentioned the.
Speaker 11: Edge, So Andy Reid, I don't know if you guys know this. Every year has a year's slogan. Again, you talk about the old school stuff, and this slogan is all over the walls. A couple of years back they ended up failing, but for example, that was running back. The Edge thing you mentioned that was last year's slogan and it actually is etched on the inside of the Super Bowl ring.
Speaker 10: If you look at the Super Bowl ring, Helly edges Edged there. And I believe this year's is United. I'm pretty sure I'll have to like double check.
Speaker 6: But that is now.
Speaker 10: They won the championship with Edge. They don't keep it just because they won. They have a new theme for the year.
Speaker 1: It gets better.
Speaker 2: I mean the Rams, for instance, have a T shirt that has a paragraph on the back of it. And how about Edge. That's great, you put it on the ring United.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the defense. Pete and Justin Reid standout safety tweeted. Defense is a real chance to be really special this year. Got to keep earning it every day. First, well, first, I just wanted to say, if I'm a Chiefs fan, I'm loving everything PIEZWEENI saying right now because it sounds like this team is not complacent any way, And I know you can sometimes that's typical summer training camp talk, but I feel good about Ivuma Chiefs and that this team is looking to do something special. They want to be the next Patriots. Now at this point with the two rings, what do you think about the defense? Do you see this as a potential special unit or is it still going to be a team that's known for Mahomes and what he does.
Speaker 11: I think it's special when you talk about what the Chiefs have been in the era of Mahomes since he took over a starter of twenty eighteen, I think there is like you talk about ceilings this time of year, I think the offensive line on the defense has the highest ceiling it's might have had for Patrick Mahomes in this era, and the defense in particular. All these guys were really young last year and a lot of them have a year under their belt, especially the cornerback room where you had Trent McDuffie really emerging. L. Jerry Sneed is not really a household name, but he's been really good for the Chiefs. Bick Bolton and Willie Gabe combined, Now for what will be the their third year, they bring in true tranquill So in the division, you go and get another teams leading tackler up front. You got to get Chris Jones in camp. That situation is a little weird. I'm sure you guys gonna want to talk about that a little bit. But once he does, you know you're surrounding him with George Carloftis, who was really good last year. I think an underrated signing was Charles's Menyu who can go inside outside. I think the Chiefs actually like a more inside.
Speaker 10: Next to Chris Jones.
Speaker 11: But right now they have injuries to Mike Dana and another defensive end, and so they are many who was injured today, So they've been mixing and matching with Josh Kando, who's way lesser known, and Emilee Carring. But I think they feel like once they have a men of you and Dana and Carloftis and Jones and everybody back, and you put Derek Noddy in that mix, they're gonna be good upfront. They feel really good about their second level and their third level is young and upcoming, and though it's not as well known, I just think Justin Reid looks at it and says, now, I've been training Brian Cook. Remember wan Thornhill went to the Cleveland Browns. I've been training Brian Cook to be next to me all of last year. They added Mike Edwards, who had seven interceptions with the Bucks and his four year tenure, and so they just really feel like they have all the pieces. And this was interesting by just Neurie, just to close this point. I think he is a nice pick for I guess this would be a bold prediction for being a first team All Pro because he said he didn't really have a full grasp of the Kansas City defense until the Bengals game last year, which was pretty late in the season, and so now he feels like he's not having to think about where he has to be getting guys into position, and so you feel really good about the ceiling. But at this stage of the game, we haven't even played a preseason game. We'll have to see, but I would agree, I think the potential is there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the only take that's a's almost as bad as Dan's Brady is gonna start declining in twenty fifteen. Take is my skepticism of spat Steve Spagnolo's reputation entering his job with the Chiefs, because like that's their secret sauce. People kind of wonder, like, how does it work when you're paying Mahomes what he makes and Kelsey and what Chris Jones is gonna make, and you have all these big salaries like you have, Steve Spagnolo. Just take these fourth seventh round picks throughout the secondary where everyone else is spending tons of money, and they're awesome, and that that's development and that's coaching. I love what you said about Reed. I've always really liked them. Their secondary could be really good. And I hear you on the linebackers, but I don't know about the ceiling. When I look at the defensive line, I guess that's where I would push back and let me know what you think about the Chris Jones situation too, because even if Chris Jones is there and he's one of the best defensive players in the league, you you tell me Carloftis had a good rookie year, like did he?
Speaker 4: I don't know, did he?
Speaker 5: And then I would also say, like the rest of the people around, I'll let you answer, sorry, And then to me, it looks average, maybe even with Chris Jones.
Speaker 4: I guess that's where I have a little bit of question.
Speaker 11: And I think Mike Dan he's been out for the past couple of days here with a calf issue. I think he's a lesser known name and I would have liked to have seen the Chiefs retain a Frank Clark. I do wonder if once Chris Jones finally gets done and we know about the Chiefs cap situation, which is really low at this point where there is money freed up, they go and bring back Carlos Dunlap, which starts to make you feel like, Okay, maybe they do have enough pieces there.
Speaker 10: There's one glaring weakness for me.
Speaker 11: It's a little bit of the unknown at the edge position, which is one of the most important positions along along the defense. And so I would completely agree, and I don't mind the pushback. I think there's going to be a lot of guys that really have to prove himself on the defensive line and under rate of part two, and this doesn't get talked about enough. I think, just from a national standpoint is the Chiefs made a change a year ago by making Brendan Daly the linebackers coach and bringing in Joe Cullen, the former defensive coordinator for Belief the Jacksonville Jaguars, and he changed the game when it came to the front, because now all the linemen it seems like they're a lot more positionless. You know, you talk about Chris Jones and he's a defensive tackle. He'll line up outside a third of the time. Charles and Manahu is the guy they brought in to really match what he does. And what that allows you to do is.
Speaker 10: Take the weakest offensive lineman on the other side and put a mismatch.
Speaker 11: And so even if you're not dealing with the most above a bridge defensive line in the game, I think a real underrated part of the Chiefs is what Culin does and how he lines these guys up and how he makes sure.
Speaker 10: They're inside outside. All these guys can do it. You see it all the time.
Speaker 5: I feel bad bringing this up, and I know you had a question mark Wade did just want to not because Joe Collin doesn't come up often for the old heads.
Speaker 4: I think he's most.
Speaker 5: Famous for uh driving through a Wendy's naked during his job.
Speaker 4: As I mean, we all need to do that a coach with a lot of time.
Speaker 10: Sometimes when you have a good night, you need a junior bacon cheeseberg.
Speaker 9: It was.
Speaker 4: It was just one of those stories. I think it was two thousand and six or seven. I was at road the world.
Speaker 5: It's just one of those stories where it would have been totally different in the Twitter era.
Speaker 4: He really had no answer for it.
Speaker 1: Oh, don't knock it till you try it.
Speaker 3: What's your answer?
Speaker 5: I mean, well, he was arrested. He was arrested, and he admitted he was blacked out at the time. So there it was some darkness to the story.
Speaker 4: He lost it.
Speaker 5: I'm glad to see him back. That's a great note. Though, you want to bring up anything from I've been saying, you don't get a chance the old kid, you know, the kids listening might not know.
Speaker 10: I had an open container at Courtland State back in the day.
Speaker 1: It was tough. Got your ass, all right? Mark?
Speaker 3: One more well, I just wanted to ask about a couple, you know, young guys on the team. Justin Ross Deeric Prince. We talked about Prince on our training camp whispers. He's making some rumbling, some noise. What have you seen from these guys. They have a chance to make an impact and stick around.
Speaker 10: I have both on the fifty three.
Speaker 11: I didn't have Justin Ross on my initial fifty three, and I think he's worked his way to that. I think there's Tony plays a big role his injury situation. My projection currently has a Chief keeping seven receivers, which is a little out of the ordinary. I think they do some roster you know work where maybe the first day Kadarius makes it, then you're able to put him on the ir to return a veteran like Blake Bell you might have cut the day before you bring back, and you work it that way, and so you know it's seven receivers, but it's really six.
Speaker 10: But I think justin Ross, he pushes to make the team. He's been getting a.
Speaker 11: Lot of raps with Patrick Mahomes, a lot more than I anticipated coming into camp. And is this player that's hiding in playing side And after the Chiefs have their first preseason game, I don't know if they'll be able to He's one of the best pass catchers I think period in camp, and if you can get the pass protection down, I think that's what's going to make it interesting, which is, you know, maybe the Chiefs can save Jerck McKinnon, which they'd like to do. Maybe they say, okay, let's have generic play at this role. Chiefs have a really good running back situation because early downs it's Isaiah Pacheco. They have Clyde Edwards Ulaire still here backing him up in that role. And I have two really good past catchers. And who better to teach Deeneric Prince who's trying to break into the league as an undrafted free agent out of Tulsa than one of the best pass protectors in the league in Jeric McKinnon, And so good problem to have. I definitely see both of these players making the fifty three minut rosters.
Speaker 5: It sounds like you don't want to draft the Clyde Edwards layer for like the third street year in fantasy, I know, with those supposed to be last, but just quickly rank, like what what the receiver? Who you think leads this team in receptions? I know, it's just like a competition at wide receiver, Like who do you think ends up leading the like rank their receptions at the end of the year.
Speaker 10: Yeah, obvious, but always always important to our minia.
Speaker 11: This is past catcher two, right, because it's going to be beyond Travis Kelcey, and I think it's a sky moore for me. I know that Markquinz, Valdez Scantling, and Canarius Tony your popular picks. Hard for me to think Cadarius Tony plays like more than thirteen games. I wish I was wrong because we've.
Speaker 10: Seen the talent.
Speaker 11: Markquinz, Valdiskanling, I think wanted to come into Kansas City and be more of a receiver all around than he was in Green Bay, and he kind of has just been what he was in Green Bay. Whereas I think sky Moore, especially in that slot where he's really good, is ready to break out. I think he's going to be that chain mover guy for Patrick Mahomes now that Juju has moved on to New England.
Speaker 2: H Yeah, my last question was going to be over under eight hundred yards for Canarius. Sounds like you're banging the under on that one.
Speaker 11: Yeah, not because I don't like the kid. He just you can't assume that he's going to be on the field. He got injured five minutes into practice this camp, and it's unbelievable that he just can't find a way to stand the field.
Speaker 10: So unfortunately, Yeah, I would say under on an.
Speaker 1: All right, great stuff from Pete Sweeney. You can follow him on Twitter.
Speaker 2: At PG Sween and of course over at Arrowhead Pride where he does awesome work.
Speaker 1: Thank you mister Sweeney. All right, thank you, thanks, all right, good conversation.
Speaker 3: I think we've got a new friend of the show in Stellar A chiefs a one guy pillow and and say, I nailed it.
Speaker 1: I nailed my Aten appearance today.
Speaker 4: I like I like them seeing the mess hall that.
Speaker 5: I guess it's a lesson that like if you've got if you're a good enough coach like Andy Reid, you can you can still push him. You can still make today's athlete except that, but you also you kind of have to have maybe not the bona fides, but you have to have the expertise that Red does.
Speaker 3: Like they you say they're shipping players are having individual bedship.
Speaker 5: He said that, yeah, some some of the that makes sense. It does, but are you really gonna sleep on one of those.
Speaker 3: Old against the whole concept of like you know, little bit, you know you're gonna be on a cot like any college.
Speaker 1: But then they can then spin.
Speaker 2: It or their agent can spin it as we can't have my guy waking up with a sore backed.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm sleeping in a freshman I.
Speaker 3: Technically understand what's happening there, but it's like there's a whatever, here's the thing.
Speaker 5: As someone who lived with a roommate who got scabies from picking up a bed from the outside like the dorm, it's like that seems like a good idea.
Speaker 1: Well that was on him, picked it up from outside the door.
Speaker 2: You know, you they're the era of Bear Bryant, you know, Vince Lombardi and even Bill Parcells.
Speaker 1: That's gone.
Speaker 2: You can't ride players the way they used to. It's a much more Even the guys that aren't known as player friendly are way more friendly than the previous errors. But you're right, like for Reid to be able to institute this policy and put these guys on an island for several weeks together, you have to have the bona fides and you have to have the faith and respect of the players, and they do. And it did just remind me before we get we have another illustrious guest coming up here before we sign off. What the Chiefs pulled off last year, like the fact that the Chiefs with a young defense, as Pete pointed out, that was just learning on the fly with Tyreek Hill out of the building and gone, and then on top of it all, Mahomes suffering that ankle injury in the plass and they still ended up with a ring that said edge on the side because they won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I don't think we talked about the Chiefs enough last season or this season, and.
Speaker 2: Everyone's gonna pick this year to win the Super Bowl or whatever. Maybe it's time to just say, just embrace it.
Speaker 1: The Chiefs. They're the safe pick. They're the ones right now that I mean.
Speaker 5: I had them in the Super Bowl last year from from the get go, the Chiefs winning. No, but that was the I also had them there to begin with and said that'd be the one seed and all that that. People were sleeping on it because when as Mahomes is there, it happened that we were taking his greatness for granted.
Speaker 4: You're right, like, I didn't even get a chance.
Speaker 1: I'd love to.
Speaker 4: I love that would be a great team to watch every day at practice.
Speaker 5: If you're tween, you just have up close and personal sure of Pat Mahomes in practice.
Speaker 3: Why did we greg to just do what he just did?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Did you just say you didn't get the chance you wish you out of you had plenty of bites at the Apple.
Speaker 5: Then now he's he's talking about my prediction of no. I mean, you're saying we didn't give the Chiefs enough credit. I'm just saying I give him some credit.
Speaker 1: All right. I got a thumbs up? Does that mean player theme music?
Speaker 2: Because I think we have somebody specials the Queen.
Speaker 9: The Queen of.
Speaker 2: Wow. This song is great, but Colleen and her awkward as ever reacting to her song being played is what really sells it for me.
Speaker 12: Hi, Connie, Hi, guys, it's so great to see you and hear you.
Speaker 3: We miss you.
Speaker 5: I don't think it was awkward at all. I don't know what that says about me. I thought it was elegant and funny.
Speaker 13: I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, prove okay great.
Speaker 2: To be clear, I didn't disapprove with Colleen's behavior on cam there, but let's just move on.
Speaker 12: It wasn't exactly a stamp of approval, but that's fine.
Speaker 1: We will move on. I find the awkwardness endearing. Colleen.
Speaker 2: You are all over you are all over America right now, Connie, you have been Let's see, here is the rundown Colleen. She's been at the Panthers she's been at the Steelers right now, she's in Canton at the Hall of Fame. Then she's going to the Niners, then she's going to the Seahawks. So you are in a bonafide campus store, which shows by the way that the company is into the tiny box like to be sending her all the doubt about that. Yeah, but let's start with a road trip to Charlotte with one of the city's shining suns.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 12: Okay, So Panthers Camp was so much fun.
Speaker 13: Like, the vibes there were great, and I don't know if that was partially because it was on our big back together weekend, so they had like a ton of festivities there. But being in Charlotte and then in Spartanburg at Panthers Camp with Steve Smith Senior is an experience unlike any other's.
Speaker 12: It was he's such a celebrity there.
Speaker 13: And seeing guys like D'Angelo Hall on that staff again it felt like a little reunion too, and kind of seeing him.
Speaker 12: As a coach.
Speaker 13: That made my heart just so happy because he wanted to do that so bad. And the whole staff in Charlotte with the Panthers, they're so cool, like the players are happy.
Speaker 12: It just felt so positive overall.
Speaker 13: But I drove back from Spartanburg to Charlotte with Steve and all I did was for him. Yeah, And like we've had many because of like Thursday night football and doing our Saturday show and having to go to New York, Like there's been many car rides, but this one, I just was in camp mode and I just peppered him with questions on wide receivers, DB's OC's different systems, how he scouts everything, like what his processes, and it was so enlightening and the way he is so thorough about everything he does.
Speaker 12: He pulled out these.
Speaker 13: Laminated scouting cards that he uses to evaluate every single position and I was like, oh my god, this is incredible.
Speaker 12: Can I take a picture of this?
Speaker 13: And he grabbed him out of my hand and he's like, absolutely not, and then just starts laughing because.
Speaker 12: That's just Steve, but his whole.
Speaker 13: I know, I wanted it for my binder, like this would have really opened things up for me. So I don't unfortunately.
Speaker 4: Getting as much POPA as they were a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Queen of the.
Speaker 13: Binders, I wish, I know, you know, I didn't for the first year ever. This is kind of historic. I did not bring a binder with me a camp. It's all on the computer.
Speaker 12: I finally went full digital.
Speaker 1: You are our last connection to the previous century com I'm a little right, you know that.
Speaker 5: Ever since last year, ever since Rhymne draft binders full of women, you've been kind of carrying the binder flag, and now it's gone.
Speaker 12: Staples and business you are.
Speaker 3: You are like a heavy preparer, which I understand that world, and I appreciate that, you know, I think it's I also I kind of want to know what you and, like Steve Smith, like where you went to eat, and like what you did at night.
Speaker 1: So what did you listen to on the radio?
Speaker 3: You could share a little bit about that.
Speaker 13: But we went to Wendy's and the entire place new Steve wanted pictures with Steve.
Speaker 12: Steve got completely mobbed in Wendy's.
Speaker 3: What about you, though, Are they reckon they're recognizing you as an on air broadcaster. I'm assuming no, and that's fine.
Speaker 13: I just took the pictures for everyone, so everyone was just handing me their phones.
Speaker 1: Wendy's, by the way, is not a sponsor of this podcast, but I believe that's a second time it's come up. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you mentioned about an unnamed NFL assistant who drove through the Wendy's Drive through naked, and was this. I'm assuming that's a different scenario than you guys were involved in. I would assume.
Speaker 13: Yes, we had our NFL plus polos on from training camp still, which I was supposed to just have this like country club living assignment in Spartanburg where I was going to do a couple hits and then into like the larger show and then just kind of chill and like say hi to people, watch practice actually like be at camp and see everything. And then a Wizard of Oz type weather scenario hit Kansas City where Kimmy Checks was hosting the whole three hours or four hours whatever it was with Steve Mariucci. So they got pulled and then they were like, hey, Colleen, you gotta get on and drive this thing for two hours.
Speaker 3: Storry right now?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 11: Cool?
Speaker 12: So it was it was great, good times.
Speaker 4: Can you like you know what?
Speaker 1: Go ahead, kyn You're on fire, and I love it.
Speaker 7: Go.
Speaker 13: I have so much to give, guys, I have so much to say, so We talked to Bryce Young, who I cannot even explain the good energy that he admits and kind of just spreads to everyone around him. It's like he's so genuine, he's so grounded, he's so chill, so cool, and he's at the same time completely confident in and secure and like what he can do and what he's capable of.
Speaker 12: The staff absolutely loves him.
Speaker 13: You can tell his teammates love him and that everyone's kind of blown away by his preparation. We had talked to him right after they did the Rookie Talent Show, and all of the players were blown away by like him getting up there and singing and like actually like really leaning in, which takes a whole lot of confidence to get in front of a team as a rookie, as the quarterback like the number one overall pick, and then own a song like that. But just in general, I absolutely loved him, and he had the same phillies dunks as I did, as I was so just as like a sneaker person that also grabbed my heart.
Speaker 1: All right, any bad energy since you brought up good energy, picked up any bad energy waves anywhere?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 9: Not not there.
Speaker 13: No, it's been really good I made friends with this lady at a perfume counter in Pittsburgh. She was telling me about her late husband, had me crying. By the end of our experience, we were hugging, like I was just trying to get a samples.
Speaker 1: You know, it's really difficult to do.
Speaker 2: Colleen and I got a lot of stuff going on because we have our Hard Knocks Hard Knocks podcast that's premiering this week. And I called up Connie to button up some things yesterday and she's just getting a manicure and she's in the midst of doing that and she's speaking with the woman. This is exactly how I want my talents. And I'm trying to get a word in, but she's focused on the talents. You're just you're a whirlwind wolf.
Speaker 12: I am, I am, and I always have been.
Speaker 13: And I just want you guys to know that I cut down my talents so you won't be hearing the ASMR at least as much.
Speaker 1: Bad news for the crowd.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's been a tough month for them and this this doesn't help. I like here and what else happened with the I know it's it's a rocky road going down, you know, if that's what you're into, that's rocky road.
Speaker 1: You're insinuating there's another event that happened. Knows more, Yeah, he does, I know more.
Speaker 4: He's in that world.
Speaker 3: I don't have time right now for that.
Speaker 2: I want to know that when you take that turn with Sessler, Well, what do you know what's happening behind the scenes?
Speaker 3: All right, don't say it, but that's a whole different segment.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 5: I do love hearing interested like about Bryce Young there he does give off this sort of like be a tific vibe, you know, this crazy energy and it and it kind of makes sense, like if you're five ten and you're the best football player in the country, that's gonna take a lot of confidence to get there. Like that's a sneaky I overcame a lot at every at every level essentially to be like a lot of people thinking like, yeah, you just don't look like the kind of guy who's gonna be the best player on the field. And there's a lot of talk of like pro ready, it's going to take Anthony Richards in a while. It's like Bryce Young was the opposite. There was concerns about his size and everything, but there's no concerns about his readiness. He could be the rare quarterback, very different than the last Panthers number one overall pick. But like Cam Newton, he could just start as like a legit top ten, top fifteen quarterback.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's out of bounds.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and just kind of like talking to everyone there, I think that they really legitimately think that too. You hear so much smoke this time of year, and I mean I know that. When I come back from these camps, I'm like.
Speaker 12: That's it.
Speaker 9: This is the team.
Speaker 12: I'm all in on the Panthers.
Speaker 13: So I'm almost afraid to go in on the Panthers because I don't want to jinx them. I don't want to sessler them at this point like he did with the Titans.
Speaker 12: But I think it's happening. I don't think I have a choice.
Speaker 1: At this point.
Speaker 5: I think the rest of the team has plenty of concerns pretty much almost across the board other than Bryson, So he could even play really well and they might not be amazing your story, though, being in the car with Steve Young does remind me at the con on the Content Summit Steve Smith, and.
Speaker 1: Mean, unless you were also in the car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't know where Steve Young was unaccounted for.
Speaker 1: It's ESPN's fault.
Speaker 5: At the Content Summit, we a pretty big group of us went out to get some Mexican food and I and I drove. I had driven Colleen to the restaurant, but on the way back I had to have a car full of people bringing them back to the hotel because the cars were splitting up. And suddenly Steve Smith was in the back seat of my like extremely dirty with child seats and like like a young girl's manga is there and it's everything.
Speaker 4: And it's not a new car.
Speaker 5: I've had it for like eight or nine years, and that drive back to the hotel with Steve Smith in the back seat actually made me think, like I might have to buy a new car.
Speaker 4: This will never happen again.
Speaker 1: But even just the car is a reflection of the man on some level, and.
Speaker 5: Right, the embarrassment of that five to ten minutes was enough that I've thought about it a lot since I saw I saw.
Speaker 13: I'm just so happy that Steve didn't get in the car on the way to the restaurant, because it was just Greg and I in the car. And when I got in the car, his radio was on and it was actually a book on tape and here biography of a woman who grew up in Dominica in the early twentieth century.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how a party or what it was that?
Speaker 4: Jean Reese's biography. Great author, great great bio there. But yes, wasn't it? Yeah? So good.
Speaker 1: I got in Greg's car once and it was the Bible on tape and I was just like wow, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like deep old Testament. But also you were also in Pittsburgh and I I've ticketed them for double digit wins confidently, Am I a fool?
Speaker 12: Double digit wins?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: I mean es in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what was your what's your takeaway from that visit? Other than the women in the Julie store okay, the finger play.
Speaker 12: I loved her. She was great at the perfume counter. She was just so wonderful.
Speaker 13: No, I could see this division actually being pretty good if the Steelers can live up to the potential that they have. Because Kenny Pickett, now that he's not getting thrown in in week four, He's worked with Matt Canada before, and they've also given him upgrades on the offensive line.
Speaker 12: With their first round pick, they.
Speaker 13: I think that when you look at they've they've made improvements at the wide receiver position too.
Speaker 12: And then that defense with TJ.
Speaker 13: Watt healthy, You think about when he got hurt last year, Alex Highsmith came in and had a career season, like he was given the opportunity that he didn't have before to really shine. And now when you put those two guys together, what this defense could actually be. And I think with an improved offensive line, the offense could be more balanced. And when you think about the hallmarks of Mike Tomlin's teams, his successful teas over the years, it's been a balanced offense and a really good defense, and that's what they have.
Speaker 5: I think this defense could be special. Their front seven is great. They're backups to what in high Smith like her Big is a rookie Wo's been having a big camp for them. I think they're happy with what they're getting out of their tackle Brodrick Jones so far. He's going to start right away. But they remind me of that team that got blown out by the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game. I think that was twenty sixteen, where it's like they're great upfront, but the secondary is ultimately a problem. I think that's a pretty big weakness. But other if you just took the secondary away, to me, that looks like an eleven or twelve win team, But that could be a pretty big weakness. I think there's like a lot of hoping there in the secondary.
Speaker 12: I think that secondary too. With Patrick Peterson.
Speaker 13: I know that he's been around for so long, but Patrick Peterson, we talked to him and he was so, so so excited just to be a Steeler, just to work with Mike tom Because he was saying that Tomlin wants to put him in different positions and maximize what skill set he has now at this point in his career.
Speaker 12: So they were lining him up all over the place.
Speaker 13: They played him at free safety a little bit too, So I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick Peterson take on a couple different roles in that secondary.
Speaker 1: Well, look what they did with Joe Hayden after his Cleveland years.
Speaker 2: They found a way to maximize what was left of his ability Peterson, I would not be surprised.
Speaker 1: Connie anything else.
Speaker 2: Before we say goodbye that you want to share with the audience or the heroes here in studio.
Speaker 13: Well, I am here in Canton waiting for Joe Thomas's enshrinement, and I'm so excited because I've never been I've never been to Canton Hall of Fame. Just to be here as like someone celebrating.
Speaker 4: I've always said, that's why you're there, not as a friend. Yeah.
Speaker 13: So John is flying out tomorrow and we're going to all of the Joe festivities with his family and all of his knucklehead friends that I've been lucky enough to meet over the years, and I'm just like so excited to see him on stage, get get his jacket, and then he's batting clean up order of the speeches, and it's going to be really really cool just to hang out and watch it all.
Speaker 5: How does it feel to be living like Mark's in a way childhood fantasy that you're like literally at the greatest Browns player of our lifetime at least I would say in the last twenty years, at his enshrinement, just hanging out with him for the weekend because you guys are friends.
Speaker 13: It doesn't feel real, Like I never thought that I would be in a position where I would be friends with someone who was being inducted into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 12: It's just it's a little surreal and really really cool.
Speaker 13: And Mark, I'll send you a bunch of like behind the scenes deep cuts please do you can see what's happening.
Speaker 3: And to celebrate, I'm actually wearing Gunzo's T shirt that I had to pull from his closet when I helped watch your Wonderful Dude two Dogs.
Speaker 4: So underneath the classic jean jacket.
Speaker 3: But I'm very happy that you get to celebrate with Joe Thomas season. I mean, we get we got to know him a little bit, and he is It's good to find out that he's an incredibly great guy, not just a great football player, and that I can see why the two of you are friends.
Speaker 4: What felt like a concession speed No, I just like.
Speaker 3: To go have fun and just go. I think Canton is also.
Speaker 5: The important thing here is that they take care of this great state of ours and I will help in the transfer any any way I can.
Speaker 1: Colleen, you've said it all. I'll catch up with you a little later for some hard.
Speaker 4: Thanks for that pell Raiser dropt Oh, yes, appreciate.
Speaker 3: You like he's never he's never listened to our show.
Speaker 4: That is super clear, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I take his word for it, but you know, agree to to thank you. Colleen. What a ray of sunshine that wolf.
Speaker 3: That was genuine What I said to her, I don't know what why you're a gig? What about that that?
Speaker 1: I'm glad that she's it was just kind of like a politician like stomach.
Speaker 3: I told her. I told her on text before she appeared that I needed like an ambulance to pick me up and take me out of here, like this is this is where we're at at this point.
Speaker 1: Well then I think we should leave. Then I think you should on the show.
Speaker 2: We've been doing this for four hours, all right, anything else any other housekeeping?
Speaker 1: Monday? Our next show will be at Cowboys Camp up an ox nerd ox nerd ox nerd ox nerd ox nerd Maybe working on that name, Yeah, if the Rams can work on their T shirt ox nerd ox rebrand. Jordan Rodrige got back to me, by the way, covers the Rams for The Athletic about the shirt.
Speaker 2: I said I had asked her on the show earlier this week if she could do some digging, like what's the history behind the shirt?
Speaker 1: She said that she's working on an answer.
Speaker 2: On the shirts, and she said, as of now, quote model the way is the Sean McVay shir thinks, but this is not her official reporting that the long one.
Speaker 1: What does the long one say? Again, does anybody remember do we have that?
Speaker 3: It's like compete and and and amper sand and the long one.
Speaker 1: Has to do with all the new kids they brought in, so they're trying to you know.
Speaker 4: I think that's one of them.
Speaker 1: It's still a culture with these young kids.
Speaker 5: It was mentally and physically tough players who play smart and love to compete, but just compete. Yeah, that's one of those ideas like someone brought up in a meeting and then it actually happens and it's a total bomb, and no one wants to claim it.
Speaker 4: After it it's like it's like, oh yeah, who thought of that?
Speaker 5: That little show that totally totally didn't work on our network? And what no one wants to claim that.
Speaker 1: And you should know that, Jordan, she has a bit of an issue with Greg, a minor issue, oh wow, because she said she doesn't believe I listened to every show, so I've got an even bigger chip find out the info in order to prove him wrong.
Speaker 3: I feel after she was on our episode that I felt convinced that she was a completist, Like, where's the doubt coming.
Speaker 4: I don't even remember that. Maybe I said that on air. I means a lot, it's a lot of I must have said it to her on the air, that that's a lot right goals, But I appreciate it. Geordan's bill.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Peter Sweeney, Thank you to Connie Fox. We will see you in Dallas. Make sure you check out the Hard Knocks podcast that will drop on Friday. Until then, you know what you gotta though, she the call