Speaker 1: Evolks.
Speaker 2: It is Saturday, August eighth, and Miss North Carolina lost her crown earlier this week after old posts connected to her using the inward surfaced. But she is now talking and says that's not really why she lost her crown. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 1: Romes.
Speaker 2: We to a degree defended this young lady. Now I'm okay with her losing her crown.
Speaker 3: This is insane to me. I'm okay to listen to her defend herself. And look, we'll go over what she said, but what was more shocking to me was what she did not say. It was remarkable she sat down with a local newspaper there in North Carolina to talk about losing her crown, and I have to.
Speaker 4: Say it was not what I was expecting.
Speaker 1: This is Brittany Bolton House.
Speaker 2: We told you about her earlier this week, and she's a young lady who just a month ago one the Miss North Carolina crown. Now later this month, the Miss USA pageant is supposed to take place, and she was supposed to represent North Carolina.
Speaker 1: That ain't happening because the.
Speaker 2: Organization there in North Carolina came out with a pretty lengthy statement a lot of words. Didn't say much, but said a lot of words. They didn't get into specifics about why they were taking the crown away, but they used some pretty big words like racism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and some phobias.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Miss USA pageant put out, Yes, they didn't detail any specific examples, but trust us. Some news organizations did find some old social media posts that correlated with what the pageant was saying. But the Miss USA pageant officially said that they conducted a thorough review of recently surfaced information aka the social media posts, and then went on to say that the pageant does not tolerate racism, homophobia, transphobia, or language that strips any person of their dignity, whoever they are now big Yes, But the North Carolina Beat, the news organization there in North Carolina, found several several posts from twenty seventeen to twenty nineteen repeatedly using the N word.
Speaker 5: There were other posts in front of you, I do okay can I And it's and it's worth reading because we're we're trying to give you a better idea of what we're dealing with and why her response now that she's done an interview was so disappointing.
Speaker 1: And if you don't want to do with the in word stuff, I'll do with it ropes.
Speaker 3: If you can show it to me, let me just hand this over to you because I would rather not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can reference how you want to reference it.
Speaker 2: So there's a bunch. So I just staw from the top using the inn word. This in word has me fifty shades of fucked up. If my inward don't like you, I don't like you. Another your girl don't like me, but your inward does. Another A long post was to say here flashing random inwards and letting them take shots off her all spring break. She's just what this is is. She's not referring to a person or using in a racist way. What this is as a young lady who has made this a part of her vocabulary as a teenager. And I'm sure whoever she might have been around was giving her permission to do so. But she was putting this out publicly as a seventeen eighteen nineteen, which is what she would have been at the time. But she's using it liberally, loosely. It's a part of her vocabulary. She has no problem saying it she is not black? Was it Hondurans in Mexican and this her background? We talked about this, Robes. Yes, sometimes kids Latinos and blacks grow up in the same neighborhoods, right next to each other, and they come up using some of the same words. This isn't necessarily foreign. But she didn't. Again, Robes, I was trying to give her space for that.
Speaker 4: You did give her space.
Speaker 3: I want to make it look if anyone wants to go back and listen to our episode on Thursday, I was blown away at the grace you gave this young lady and the explanation you gave maybe a lot of us white people in the room listening some understanding of where you were coming from about giving her that grace. I was actually shocked that you were as kind and understanding as you were given the fact that she's a daughter of immigrants and has brown skin and may have grown up in a different community.
Speaker 2: Been there done that scene at plenty And if you're not familiar with it, then are you familiar with Fat Joe a rapper who is not black but grew up in the Bronx right next to black folks.
Speaker 1: He is I always mess this up is a Dominican and Cuban and always mix it up.
Speaker 2: But Latino, yes he is. But his biggest hit he uses the in word in the chorus liberally. He does it throughout his music. He has made a particular song in which he makes light of it and just says the in word like twelve times in a row. What I'm saying is that is what I saw when I saw her text messages initially, and why I was willing to give her some grace. The rule still applies if you ain't black, you should not be saying the N word. But as a teenager, I was saying, okay, maybe we should sit down and talk and listen and understand. Now she's talking, Now I'm done.
Speaker 4: It's jaw dropping.
Speaker 3: Actually, we were waiting for her official response because we heard from the local Miss North Carolina USA pageant. We heard from the Miss USA pageant, and they were basically giving her space to say what she wanted. And I you probably most of us were used to people getting called out for saying the N word. Maybe it was years earlier, and apologizing, recognizing what they did wrong, learning from their mistakes, and putting out a very pr statement. This young lady sat down with the Carolina Journal and doubled down.
Speaker 2: She first of all, I didn't even think she that's the thing for.
Speaker 4: She refused to acknowledge it.
Speaker 2: She she didn't even she didn't defend, she did nothing. She wasn't challenged on it. She was in chashed. This was a this was the question that you start with off the top. Is that word still a part of your vocabulary? If it's not, when did it leave? If it is, why, also why was it a part of your vocabulary? Then I'm willing to listen to her answer, which is probably simply yeah, I grew up around and da da da da da da da. This is not a This is not a this is not a problem. You already lost the crown. You're not going to do worse damage or anything. I cannot believe the direction she's gone. I cannot believe it. I don't we don't know this young lady. So I don't want to condemn, but I cannot believe this.
Speaker 3: She made it very clear that she believes her Mormon faith and her outspoken conservative views she is pro Trump, are the reason why she was dethroned. She said that clearly and plainly, and look, I'm not trying to throw the young woman who was the reporter under the bus here, a white blonde woman.
Speaker 4: And she did not push her, she did not press her. She never she.
Speaker 3: Vaguely and tried to give her her excuse about these posts. And I know you were young, and really just tried to give her this out and she said, I'm not here to talk about that. She said, the only the closest thing she came to acknowledging that she used the N word repeatedly for years on it and it possibly this led to her actually being dethroned. She said, this was her quote. Every teenager has made a mistake. Every person here has made a mistake. I'm not really here to talk about that. I'm here to talk about the woman I am today, the hard working woman, the woman that was standing up there is miss North Carolina, USA. That I won fair and square.
Speaker 1: And this is why. And here we go. I hate I hate this story.
Speaker 2: I hate it because it was an opportunity to do something to get folks. We sat in here and I saw a light bulb go off because you had no idea what I was talking about. That was an opportunity there really was gonna do. She is gonna do make herself a maga hero, and they're gonna embrace her. They're like, wow, look at what they did to a beauty queen. And she used the in word.
Speaker 1: We love that.
Speaker 2: That's what's gonna happen. Babe, you are not. I just we don't know the young lady. So I'm trying to give it a beat. And I know when press is coming at you, Median, what are you gonna do next? But Robes, This was thirteen minutes of an interview, and fifteen seconds were spent on the fact that she blurted out the in word repeatedly.
Speaker 1: And who gives a fuck it was?
Speaker 2: Because that's not even the problem, that's no issue. Who cares about that. I'm just again I try to leave space of making mistake and all a making mistake in the interview Robes, but this is once again damaging and it is gonna be a fight. And now I wish the black girl wasn't the runner up because now she's got to do what go out there and be the fucking rights DEI candidate.
Speaker 1: Now look at her.
Speaker 2: She shouldn't be there. Somebody else got that spot. She only got it because they had to take a Maga warrior out.
Speaker 1: I hate this story.
Speaker 2: I hate what she has now done to it, and I hate we missed another opportunity and we're going to do the same crap we do all the time.
Speaker 4: This is it's so true.
Speaker 1: This sucks, man.
Speaker 3: And to your point, not only is she not saying she's sorry, not only is she not apologizing talking about learning from her lessons using her story as an example of what not to do.
Speaker 4: She actually said in terms of what.
Speaker 3: She helps young women see from what happened to her, this is her quote. She's now a martyr, babe, this is what we see happen oftentimes, she said. I hope they see me as an example to always stand up for what you believe, no matter what, no matter where, you have the right to speak the way that you feel, no matter what platform, no matter what belief system. We live in a country that we have that ability. And that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, fine, just fine. I'm just exhausted it is.
Speaker 3: But it's just to me, I don't understand, and I wonder if I doubt look for her to say as of today, I believe and think I was stripped from my title because of my political stance and my belief system as a conservative Christian woman. She went on to say, all I can say from the information I have today is what I believe and think. Honestly, I don't know. I wasn't really given anything. She also tried to hide under this I had to sign a confidentiality agreement thing she was absolutely trying to say she couldn't discuss that is that is hard to imagine that that's true. But she has now turned something into being a victim now versus acknowledging mistakes she made having it be a learning.
Speaker 1: Experience still in her vocabulary.
Speaker 3: She did not apologize, say she did not apply it again, if.
Speaker 2: You don't feel maybe she does take the fat Joe approach. Fat Joe goes out says it publicly all the time. Okay, if she wants to take that stance, but it's just not to agn knowledge to say, I have v ZA.
Speaker 1: Okay, what else we got with this girl? I'm done with her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't know what she does with this or goes on from here, but we do know that there is that new Miss North Carolina, USA.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we will talk about Mila Hatley.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue here on this Saturday on Amy and TJ. And my apologies to the listening audience here this is we don't know this lady. I don't know Britney Bolton ounce and I don't care what her religious beliefs are. And again, you know, I'm always I don't like when we throw people away when they make mistakes, and they shouldn't be completely condemned and denied or life of prestige or fulfillment or even adolation adoration. Excuse me, but just this is an opportunity that was missed, and it's disappointing once again that it's the point of this is that someone, once again, Robes is hooting and hollering and screaming and liberally using the N word that's not in the black community. We have seen very high profile cases of this love island, in particular over the past couple of years.
Speaker 1: Robes, we have seen this. Why baby are we seeing it?
Speaker 2: And now she has done something in the conversation that once again it goes into the camp of this is okay, It goes into the camp of there are no consequences. It goes into a camp of let me find another way to be a victim. It's not really what I did. It's just I hate I hate what's happened here now ropes, And so this young lady, I'm trying my bad. We don't know her personally, so I'm always trying to be careful there. I don't have a problem with her, I just have a problem with what she did.
Speaker 3: You know. And look, I think it's fair to say anyone listening knows that we are very anti cancel culture.
Speaker 4: The two of us know what it feels like.
Speaker 3: To have things said and written and beliefs created around you that are based on falsehoods. And look, we understand, and we're very, very understanding of what people go through and the fact that people do make mistakes, and people aren't and shouldn't be thrown out because of their worst mistake. Neither one of us believe this, But to hear a young lady who had an opportunity to actually do good actually turn it around and say something that we know is patently false. She was not stripped of her crown because she is a Christian or a Mormon. She was not stripped of her crown because she voted for Trump and supports President Trump that's patently false, and so it's just incredibly sad and frustrating not only to hear her pedal that, but then to have.
Speaker 4: A journal not challenge her on it. That was equally disturbing to me.
Speaker 3: Babe, Again, I hate to say this about this journalist, but it was really frustrating as a journalist to watch her.
Speaker 4: You don't have to be combative or be rude, but you do that.
Speaker 3: Our job is to hold people accountable, and when they say things that aren't true, and when they say things that aren't acknowledging the facts, you, as a journalist, it is absolutely your job to hold them accountable to that.
Speaker 4: That is your job.
Speaker 2: I don't know that lady either, So I'm trying to be nice and fair to her.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what she was uncomfortable about.
Speaker 2: But the phrase in word never came up in a thirteen minute interviewer. Nope, not why she never used to say some old posts scene you know when you.
Speaker 4: Were a teenager.
Speaker 3: She was like giving her a soft land and like, you know, I understand you were just a teenager.
Speaker 1: I have to take her to task.
Speaker 2: But it is the point of all of this, Yes, it's the point and she allowed her to take this to become a narrative and being condemned for being ropes. North Carolina voted for Trump. First of all, right, this.
Speaker 4: Is your she's in a safe state, a safe actually.
Speaker 1: Are so I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Did you see some posts or something of hers from having to do with her religion that were so hot button.
Speaker 3: She she has a YouTube channel where she talks about her Mormon faith.
Speaker 4: She talks about supporting President Trump.
Speaker 3: So it was well known that she was a Mormon and that she was a Trump supporter before she was crowned Miss North Carolina, USA. So those aren't the Those aren't the posts that surfaced.
Speaker 4: Those have been there all along.
Speaker 3: She's never been shy about the fact that she supports Trump. So she won the crown and had the support of Miss North Carolina USA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we had to take it from her because she's a Trump supporter and she's a Christian in Christian Trump supporting North Carolina. We had to get her out of there. That part doesn't make sense. It doesn't she's what, she's brown. Let's get her out of there so we can get the black girl in.
Speaker 4: That doesn't make sense, not even a little bit.
Speaker 2: No, you lost it because there's fifty frickin' tweets in which you're saying nigga over and over and over.
Speaker 4: That's true, Okay, that's the truth.
Speaker 2: That is why it's This would have been a fifteen minute interview about nothing but the N word. There's nothing else to talk about. Why, dear lady, it's okay, you're a teenager. The crown has already lost you know. Tell us why is it still a part of your vocabulary?
Speaker 1: Should it be?
Speaker 2: Now we can move on to every Now you're talking about young ladies who are okay, you want to talk to them who are fourteen, fifteen, sixteen to seventeen. Hey, young ladies, don't be putting the stuff out there now. Don't sing the song and videos. Help yourself because it's gonna come back and it's gonna bite you in the butt. Plus, you shouldn't be saying that word anyway. Be what you say you want to be to young ladies, because how many young ladies keep getting opportunities taken away from them for this Love Island. You hit the jackpot if you get picked on that show. We've seen four women in the past two seasons go because of racist stuff. Three of them had to do with the N word.
Speaker 1: Am I right? Yes?
Speaker 3: And by the way, I was now now with the with the perspective of seeing how this young woman handled it. I applaud those Love Island ladies because they apologized, they owned it, they apologize for it, and they said they are learning from it, and that's what we can hope.
Speaker 4: I like you referenced this before the break.
Speaker 3: But Mala Hadley twenty four years old, black woman, gorgeous, accomplished, amazing young woman. What's her What is her experience going to be? Like Mala Hadley, the black now the black Miss USA? She went Miss North Carolina, USA?
Speaker 4: Is her experience? How how is that going to be for her?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I I love it for her if she's not looking online, like go enjoy this opportunity came to you. So many people, so many opportunities in your life, robes.
Speaker 1: In my life. We can all look back to that.
Speaker 2: Yep, I wasn't the first pick, absolutely, or I wasn't that person's first pick, and then when that person got out of job, all of a sudden opportunity opened up for me asolutely. Bruce Willis is a movie superstar because ten dudes turn that roll down on die Hard before he got it.
Speaker 1: Well, is he gonna show up? The word wasn't the first pick. I don't want to.
Speaker 2: No, he became a superstar, roams and I hope she takes this opportunity agat like that, take it like that, and you know, it doesn't matter how it came to you. You did everything you were supposed to do, and you did it right to get here. Enjoy it, and I am rooting for I am pulling for her loudly.
Speaker 3: We are going to be absolutely watching the Miss USA pageant. It is August twenty seventh, and we will be there for it, and we are rooting her on.
Speaker 4: And just really.
Speaker 3: Saddened and disappointed that that was the choice that the former Miss North Carolina took, and the choice that that journalist took as well. I have to hold both of them accountable for that interview.
Speaker 4: That was just why disappointing isn't even the right world. It was word. It was anger.
Speaker 3: Look I don't I I was angered by it from a professional standpoint and then from a personal standpoint.
Speaker 4: I was angered.
Speaker 2: Look, we were watching the interview and you're waiting every minute of it for okay, when is she going to get to the thing? When is she going to get to seven? And the thing never really came.
Speaker 3: Barely touched it, brushed beside it, and she said, I'm not here to talk about that today. Really, are what the the other thing? She This was the big defiant quote that she had that just made me want.
Speaker 4: To shut the computer off. I won't be judged by my past. Good for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, then fine.
Speaker 3: But maybe you should acknowledge it, apologize for it, learn from it, and teach others.
Speaker 4: That is what we do. And we all have.
Speaker 3: I have passed that and past moments, and yes, we have all made mistakes, and we all have made poor choices. But the only way you move on from them is by first acknowledging them. And if you need to apologize and do right by them, that's part of the process as well.
Speaker 2: Brittany, Brittany Bolton, I can't say it enough, Robu you is it the thing you? I won't be judged by my past. Here is the thing. This young lady said the in word repeatedly and put it out in public. And I am sitting here as a black man not judging her for her past. That's the thing, Robes. I am sitting here willing to listen to her about her present, who she is, and what her future is going to be. She is the one now making me judge her differently. I was willing to not do all that stuff and listen. But when you aren't even willing to say that using the N word, and you're not in the black community using it repeatedly and publicly, if you're not willing to say there's something wrong with that, we don't have anything else to talk about.
Speaker 1: I was willing.
Speaker 2: I am sitting here as a black man who was close to defending her, but at least pausing enough to not condemn her.
Speaker 1: Actually does this.
Speaker 3: I would encourage anyone who didn't hear our episode on Thursday. Again, way well before she spoke, we hadn't heard anything from her, and you absolutely, I would say, did defend her to a degree. And I do think that that's kind of interesting because that was in real time and now to hear what she has said and the different reaction that elicits from everyone, it's just a lesson, like it's okay to say you're sorry, it's okay to acknowledge that you made a mistake, and actually it's more than okay. It's necessary for healing. And if you refuse to do it, you've missed the point.
Speaker 2: Hey, if she wants to come out and say, I have every right to say this word, and I want to say it's a part of my vocabulary, you know what, I would listen to that too, And then I would listen to why she came to this conclusion, where she grew up, what kind of kids she grew up with, who she had been around. I was willing to listen again. It's the Fat Joe example. My inwards don't dance. We just pull up our pants and do the rock away and lean back and lean back. You love that song. It's coming from a Latino who is repeatedly.
Speaker 1: Using the in word publicly.
Speaker 2: So we have seen some precedent for this type of thing robes and it happens on the street every day. I've been around, Yes, I've been around Latinos, dudes much tougher than any neighborhood I have ever been in throwing the in word around. Yes, And they've gotten permission and authority to do it from the black folks they hang around, not saying it's right, but I'm I'm willing to listen to her, and she's telling me, no, it's.
Speaker 4: Because she's Christian, conservative and a MAGA supporter. Okay, that that must be why she lost your crown. But yeah, I wanted to give this.
Speaker 3: Very uh interesting development and update in this case, and maybe this will be the last we hear from her.
Speaker 1: Myla, is that right?
Speaker 2: Mala Hadley, Mila Hadley, Mela Hadley.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's our girl now, Mala Hadley.
Speaker 3: We are going to be rooting for her all the way. So we hope you enjoyed listening to this episode. We always appreciate you. I'm Ae Roeboch alongside TJ.
Speaker 4: Holmes. We'll talk so