Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah Hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 2: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun, from figuring out childcare to mapping out long term career goals. We want you to get the most out of life.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura.
Speaker 2: This episode is airing in late June of twenty twenty four. We're going to be doing our annual at this point midyear goal check in, So in December of most years, Sarah and I share our goals for the upcoming year, and halfway through the year it's time to check in.
Speaker 1: And we do this for a few reasons. I mean, basically to keep ourselves honest.
Speaker 2: Because on some level, there's not a huge point in setting goals and then completely forgetting about them, and it gives us an idea, a chance to celebrate what's worked or maybe pivot on what hasn't right.
Speaker 3: Sarah, Yes, and we hope that if you're anything like us, I think, especially me, you enjoy hearing how other people approach their goals and either celebrate wins or bemoaned struggles, et cetera. So we find the process really valuable. I mean, I personally do this five times a year, but Laura will not let me have five Best of Both Worlds episodes dedicated to this.
Speaker 1: So I think we've come like a good compromise. Yeah, maybe your check in two a year is good.
Speaker 2: And you can also go listen to Best Laid Plans and hear a few more about Sarah's various goals and how she executes on them.
Speaker 3: Because you know, it's it's been a pretty good year so far. I mean, Sarah, would you say it's been a good year?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll find out, and those sections coming up, we will discuss what has worked and what has not.
Speaker 1: Got to leave some mystery. Le's leave some mystery.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, we'll start with our career goals, I guess, I mean we could go into any order here, but I Sarah, I'll ask you about yours. So you had a couple work goals for both clinical work and creative work, so maybe you can share what happened.
Speaker 1: And what hasn't.
Speaker 3: Okay, So we will start with a clinical work category, and my goal was to keep working on my efficiency of checkout, meaning like the work I do kind of between when I'm done with the patient and when they leave the office to make sure they have everything they need. And I've kind of come like a really long way where I used to like run around printing everything out. Then I moved to this checkout sheet and then I'm like, you know what, I can just train the front desk. I'm going to like work on the people that can just do this without me having to micromanage, and that's actually worked pretty well. I also tend to kind of say to my patient as they're walking from there to the front desk, I'm like, your three things are to get your labs, make sure you get your printed instructions, and make your appointment. Like I'll say, I'll kind of reinforce and then I am done, Like I don't run around collecting things. So I will say that's been really helpful and definitely has saved time, and thus far, it has not to my knowledge, resulted in any like bad communication or missed instructions. I had a goal to provide some kind of seasonal fun for our staff. And I did get cookies from Crumble for Valentine's and I passed them around. That was really fun. So I'm going to do something for summer, maybe some kind of like little sunscreen sample, I don't know something, and definitely some kind of school supply for fall, like I'm going to walk around with like fun pens. And then our Friday lunch tradition is going full swing, and I think it really does help to build communities. So I mean, not everybody comes every time, but I at least kind of do a little bit of socializing most Fridays with colleagues at lunch. So that's my clinical side. And then on the creative slash business side, my goals were to successfully run Planning by season, and I will say, yes, we are three out of five sessions in and I feel like they're going well. They're nicely attended, people participate, and I'm finding out one of the most fun programs to run, Like, so yeah, I really like it. Write my book proposal during the summer, so I went back to my yearly goals and I was kind of beating myself up for not making progress on this, but I didn't actually notice it. When I wrote in the annual list it said during the summer, so I'm not actually behind you signed it a time I did, and I think there was a reason for that, and I'm kind of happy about it. So I have made no progress. But now it's the summer and now I have some time blocked off and I'm getting started and kind of having a less perfectionistic thing about it, like just get something down and then you can play with it and that's fine. And so yeah, that's definitely in progress. I would not be able to give myself any credit for doing it, but I wasn't planning on it yet. I had a goal to pitch two podcasts per month. Totally fell off the wagon on that. I think I probably did it a couple months, but then I forgot. I mean, it sucks to get rejections, but also too is probably not enough because if you're aiming high, you're going to get more rejections then you get acceptances. And so if I'm going to do that in any meaningful way, there probably needs to be a.
Speaker 1: Higher number there. So I have to rethink about that.
Speaker 3: I had a goal to do best laid plans Live twenty twenty four, and that is happening, and Laura is co hosting, and we're sold out and it's going to be awesome, and we're actually about to get into some of the kind of nitty gritty planning details coming up.
Speaker 1: But I feel like I'm on track with that.
Speaker 3: And then finally plan content creation schedule in advance and prioritize to reduce deadline stress and overload. Sometimes I'm really good with this, and sometimes I'm really not. I still struggle around like vacations and call weeks. I think I'm more aware of that struggle and sort of prepare myself for it better. And I think some of my show notes and stuff have been done more in advance.
Speaker 1: But then again, these.
Speaker 3: Were done like yesterday. As I said to Laura, I thought we were recording like a week from now. So Laura likes a little bit even more buffer than I do, which is actually good and probably one of the reasons we have not missed a week yet. So I will say that one is in progress. I'd give myself like a C plus. Yeah, seven years and every Tuesday, and there's a process for that, and it's why I'm like, no, no, no, Sarah, we will not be recording on this date in June. We'll be recording a week earlier. So something goes wrong, which you know is partly just hard one experience. We've had many things go wrong. We've had to.
Speaker 2: Toss a number of episodes, or sometimes we book a guest who then can't make it, or you know, topics have kind of been passed by by events, and you know, but.
Speaker 3: The best is when we recorded Dead Air. That was our dead Air, was certainly in our podcasting career. The Dead Air did not make it out into the distribution channels. Don't worry, but we did in fact record about forty minutes of dead Air, so that obviously had to be redone as well.
Speaker 1: All right, so your work goals, let's hear it. Yes, I mean I have.
Speaker 2: A goal to finish the book proposal for my next book, my next time management book, and sell it and start working on it. And I did in fact sell it, and in a kind of cool way, we went out broadly to a lot of different publishers.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of meetings with me.
Speaker 2: We wound up getting multiple bits, which was cool, and I am now doing a two books.
Speaker 1: My next two books with Norton, which is very exciting.
Speaker 2: So Golden Hours is well, that's the second one that'll be out in like twenty twenty seven, and Big Time is the next one, which will be out in early twenty twenty six, so working on both of them. It's really exciting to start a new book project. I love writing books. I don't know how much people want to read books anymore in the modern world, but there's always some people who do, and hopefully I will find more of those people by twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven and create books that I'd like to read and find helpful.
Speaker 1: Hopefully everyone else will too.
Speaker 3: I am very excited for both of those topics, both of those titles, and.
Speaker 1: I'm sure a lot of our listeners are too. So we're excited. We'll stay tuned, we'll be hearing more about that.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven, I wanted to launch vander Hacks, and at the time we recorded our Goals episode, I had not really done that yet, but I was sort of about too. And this for anyone who is listening and as curious, is an every weekday morning newsletter through substack and if you want to subscribe. It's just called vander Hacks and it's my tips on making life better, taking your day from great to awesome.
Speaker 1: There are four.
Speaker 2: Free posts a week, so feel free to just go ahead and sign on up if you want that. And then there is one post that is behind a paywall each week, so if you would like to have that as well, you're welcome to get a paid subscription.
Speaker 1: I would appreciate that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've been doing it first six plus months now and it's been good. It's you know, I'm playing around with it, errementing with what makes a good post. But it's just one more place that I can connect with people and get some of my ideas out there, and so that's been fun.
Speaker 3: I like today's post. It was like how to create a kit to stay organized? I love that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so lots of ideas there. I had a goal to speak internationally and that has not happened yet, and again we put constraints on it in the goal episode. It's not like can I find some book club in the UK that would like me to come speak to them about it? I mean, as part of my speaking business to be hired through my normal channels. With my normal fees to come speak internationally and ideally outside I mean not Canada, Mexico, I've done those places. I'm talking sort of broader internationals. But we'll keep working on it. So somebody listening to this and has a business somewhere else in the world that is looking for time management speakers, feel free to reach out and we will connect. And then I was also managing the best of both worlds transition over to iHeartMedia.
Speaker 1: That was just happening.
Speaker 2: We were trying to figure out the timeline of that when we recorded our Goals episode toward the end of the year.
Speaker 1: It happened on January first.
Speaker 2: We can tell from our numbers that we have a few new listeners, so welcome to everyone who found us through the various iHeartMedia ads and through just.
Speaker 1: Seeing it on their app.
Speaker 2: We're glad to have you, so that will be something we're continuing to enjoy and use our new home to find new audience members and continue building this podcast.
Speaker 3: And I'm impressed that technically the transition went well, Like I don't think our feed got lost.
Speaker 1: I don't think it looked different or anything like that.
Speaker 3: So if you didn't notice that that's also great, totally cool.
Speaker 1: Yes, bonus woo.
Speaker 2: All right, well, we're going to take a short ad break and we'll be back talking with more of our goals for the year.
Speaker 1: How they are going. Well, we are back doing our mid year goal check.
Speaker 2: In the next category, we just did career of various sorts of work that both of us do. Our next category is relationships and family goals as well. So, Sarah, you had some goals that you set for the year.
Speaker 1: How are those going?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, going through my list, I had date night one to two times a month. I think it's been more on the one time, but I feel like we've had some nice, memorable date nights as the year has gone on, so I'd give myself credit for that. I wanted to do two getaways with me and Josh this year. We didn't do two last year, and I felt it wasn't enough, so I'm happy to say we're on track. We went to Michigan together. I mean, we ran a marathon while we were there, but it was also a couples getaway and it was really fun. I wanted to have some kid one on one time monthly. So I don't know if I've met monthly, but I've done two rounds of just doing dinner with each kid solo. I just put it on the calendar. I let them pick the place. I keep it really low key, our nanny stays. If my husband's not home. I try to do it on tonight. We don't have a lot of late sports and stuff, and they love it. They've already asked when we're going to do it again. So I think this is probably going to replace full on mommy days for this summer, just because I'm just not sure that's as realistic.
Speaker 1: I mean, I could probably do it.
Speaker 3: We'll see, but certainly the dinners are going to stay because they are a nice way to get some one on one time and with a little bit of structure family meetings. I wanted to work on our family meeting game. I feel like the kids are old enough to just do a better prep at the start of the week, and then even at the start of the season, we do it informally. We have these conversations. They're kind of like usually I'm like filling out the board as we're cleaning up Sunday dinner. But I still want to make them more of a like fun event, so I would say that one is still in progress and kind of going to work on it over the summer. I wanted to cultivate more family reading. This has gone like in ways I didn't expect. So Cameron is now like the reader of the family, which I did not see coming, and I kind of love it. He will read whatever it used to be just graphic novels. Now he was branched onto like anything, especially if there's kind of sci fi element or a sports element, He's into it. Annabel will read with the right book, and I feel like there are times at night when all of us are reading and I love that. But Genevieve cannot read on her own yet, so that has been the imagery that I had is just not quite there. I'm trying to think about how I can get her set up like with an audiobook during some of these times, but work in progress and may fit a little bit more naturally once she can actually read like on her own fluently, not just sounding out words declutter the house.
Speaker 1: F Nope, I'm reading a book about it. I mean that you're reading a book about it. That's great.
Speaker 2: It's like taking the goal before and adding it into this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're going to talk about like self goals, and I think I just didn't have the physical energy to declutter my house the last few month. So it is what it is. I still want to do it. I'm not ready to outsource it. I know everyone keeps saying that and saying it, but it's not happening right now. And then finally I have really really positive news because I have gotten I would say any topic, like a lot of listener feedback on this. People are like actually, people are lovely. They tell me stories as to why this is very important, a lot of times very personal stories.
Speaker 1: But estate planning, we had.
Speaker 3: That as a goal, and our drafts are done, like Lauryers just said it, we need to go to their office to sign everything or do something complicated with notaries, so we'll probably just go to their office because it's not that far away. And we have to do a couple of like ill defined things with our bank accounts that I need to get clarity on. But we're mostly done. And that's super exciting because that had been on my list for a very very long time. So I'm gonna give myself credit for that one. And I think the outlook for being completely done with it by the end of the year is very good.
Speaker 1: So yay, yay, Well that's good.
Speaker 2: I mean, you had a list of long term projects and that was certainly one of them, and and I know it's been on the list many years, and so the fact that significant progress has happened is you know, testament to sometimes you have to keep trying with goals before they actually happen. Yeah, my relationship and family goals. I specifically wanted to do time with my big kids. So my older kids are seventeen, fourteen, and twelve. Sort of the nature of having younger kids, having a nine year old and four year old is they can monopolize your time and attention just by being needier. And so the older kids can kind of drift off to their rooms and you don't see them except for meals, and I don't know, sometimes they managed to avoid that even if you so it's harder to spend time with older kids. So we've had some extra childcare for Henry, for instance, so we can have time with the older kids to do things. But I've actually thought up taking some really cool trips with the older kids. So I went to Space with my two older boys over spring break, and as part of that got some time with each of them, you know, I think about doing like a cooking class with Sam, for instance, and chatting with Jasper at various points. I then took Ruth to Paris in May, and we had a great time there and spent a lot of time with each other and really enjoyed that. And when this airs, I will have taken another short trip with Jasper, sort of figuring out he had asked for a trip for Christmas, and so that will have happened by the time this aired. Sam asked for a diving trip and he and Michael took that together. So getting parental time with the older kids doesn't always have to be me. I certainly enjoy it when it can be me, but it's also good to have my husband do some of this too.
Speaker 1: But it's also just.
Speaker 2: Like the mindset of if I am in the kitchen and I am about to leave and some of my older kids are there and they are kind of talking with me, I don't have to leave, like I don't have to go do whatever it was I was about to do, probably for another few minutes, so just linger and have the conversation and see what else is going on, and I think it's just trying to do that as much as possible and prioritize it.
Speaker 1: I also wanted.
Speaker 2: To see friends, like spend time with friends, and recognize that I could travel if I needed to to make this happen.
Speaker 1: I had a.
Speaker 2: Fun trip in early April to New York City with a couple of people. We went to the Botanical Garden and went to a museum. The Paris trip was with some friends from college, so I got to see them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just just.
Speaker 2: Good to connect with people. I was seeing Sarah in March in Florida, and she'll be in Philadelphia at some point this so that's great. And just been doing more regular runs and walks with local friends. I had a small dinner party in April that was also a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I hadn't really done that since moving here, so glad I have.
Speaker 2: As for Michael and my twentieth wedding anniversary, nothing has been planned.
Speaker 1: And is it soon?
Speaker 2: It's in September, Okay, September fourth. We got married September fourth, two thousand and four, so this will be twenty years. So maybe we'll try to do something small that first, like not Labor Day weekend, but the next weekend in September.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can do something then, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean I've planned a lot of elaborate family stuff, and I just get like, I don't know. It's the thing that probably doesn't get planned, but maybe somebody else will plan it.
Speaker 1: Surprise.
Speaker 3: Mepul se, Well, be exciting. I hope you do something. Twenty is big, that's exciting. We have joshed his fiftieth birthday, so kind of similar, like, got to do something I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we recently got Michael and I went into New York for the celebrate his brother's fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 1: And Michael went in for two nights. I went in for one.
Speaker 2: We saw a show, we went out to dinner, hung out with his all his siblings and some of their spouses and his mom and so, yeah, it was a fun trip. So that could be the kind of thing one could do for a fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: So you would say your relationships category is going mostly pretty good and you need to figure out the anniversary.
Speaker 1: Well I need to figure Yeah, I don't know. I'm that guy. I don't have a grade for it.
Speaker 2: I mean, because it's all long ongoing stuff, right, Like every day it's an opportunity to at least think about how I would spend time with the big kids. So just continuing to remind myself to have that mindset for the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: All right, well we have our self category and fitness category. I know you're going to talk about your year long projects, so let's hear about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So my goal for the year was to listen to all the works of Bach.
Speaker 2: And this is because I've been doing a year long project every year for the past few years. So one year I read all the works of Shakespeare, you know, another year I read all the works of Jane Austen. So this year I am listening to all the works of Bach. I am a big Bach fan, and this has been quite doable. I am, in fact about halfway through when this is airing. I've created a calendar so for anyone who follows Bach, there's a catalog of BWV numbers representing there are one thousand and eighty works of the original BWV.
Speaker 1: And then people find more, or they realize ones that.
Speaker 3: Were in the original or not, or there's works that are possibly attributed to him or not.
Speaker 1: There's like another one hundred.
Speaker 2: Works that will probably get through in the course of the year as well, But anyway, I'm on track. I've been sharing the calendar with a couple of other people who are doing this project with me, which is awesome, And yeah, every day I just listen to a couple of them. Usually most days it's three or four of the BWV. I decided to start with a cantata and then starting in the middle of the BWV. So the cantatas are the first two hundred and twenty or so, and they're all about twenty minutes. So if you are only working through chronologically, you'd just be listening to all cantatas all the time for the first few months. So we split it up and started with the organ works, which are like five twenty five. So you do BWV one and BWV five twenty five on January first and so on. And yeah, about thirty to forty minutes of listening a day. I do it in the car a lot of the time, or while I'm doing sort of low key work answering emails or doing something that doesn't require a whole lot of thinking. I can have it on in the back and it's awesome.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you now could hear Bach and be like, oh, that sounds like it's from like this era, Like I don't know.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's been some really cool historical matchups. He was very prolific in the year seventeen twenty four. Curiously enough, a lot of the kantatas are from then, and so it's fun to sort of match them up. I didn't match them up. That would have been a great way to do this calendar, but whatever. Sometimes it happens and I'm like, oh, that was the kantata for two weeks after Easter, and we're shortly after Easter, and so you sort of have this connection with Bach three hundred years ago doing this music in Leipzig and elsewhere. I can definitely see themes. I've been to a couple of Bach concerts. I went to one that had works from all over the bwv's so different things like a two harpsichord thing, a cantata. I went to an all kantata performance in downtown Philly with a small chamber group that was doing that, and you definitely start to hear his themes and you know his structure, and then I went to the Backchoir of Bethlehem annually does the B Minor Mass, which is of course the ultimate Bach work that he composed not long before his death. And having heard so many of the cantatas, now I know when I'm hearing those cantatas and I'm hearing a theme that was then in the B Minor Mass, I know he was experimenting with in the cantatas and then he pulled it into the B Minor Mass because it's something he just liked, and so then he would use it again for that great work toward the end of his life.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's been awesome. That's cool.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of becoming like a more nuanced expert or like to like understand things at a level that you know, if I heard Bach, I would just be like, oh that sounds Baroke and you can say so much more.
Speaker 1: About Nako and work. So cool, all right, What else was on your personal list? Oh?
Speaker 2: Gosh, Well, I wanted to do more strength training. It was going to be the year of Bach and my back. I was trying to work on my back, and then long time listeners know I had a rather huge setback in January where had like shooting nerve pain down my legs from some back issue and I couldn't walk for over a week. Wound up on steroids and painkillers and doing physical therapy and such, and I'm aware of it. Still there's nothing really that can be done. I mean, I just I do need to keep strengthening my back and my abs and I live with it. But the good news is it doesn't keep me from living life. Like I stood at the Taylor Swift concert for five hours with my horrible back. I walked all over Disney World with my horrible back.
Speaker 1: You know, you live, you have to live life. And I guess I have a reasonable pain tolerance and maybe it will improve.
Speaker 3: I mean, you don't have to assume this is like where it's going to be forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but partly from my own psychologic like not. I need to set my expectations low.
Speaker 3: Got it right, Like I need to learn how to live with this because it might. It might, And I don't want to feel like my life is over if I have back pain, because it's not like I can deal with it.
Speaker 2: I will live with it. But you know, obviously it'd be great if it would have improve So I'd have to hold those two thoughts in mind that I can live my life with it. I can also do things that maybe over time will improve it, or maybe just on my own, my body will start to heal itself. And you know, it's been fun going through the world of specialist doctors and MRIs and all that great stuff that I never would have experienced.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, you definitely would not have experienced it because that is not your favorite genre.
Speaker 2: No, and I would like to stay as much away from it as possible in the future. But I will do more strength training because I I've been doing more of that. I kept working out with my trainer and now I've decided I put it on my to do list. And then two other times a week I do at least ten minutes of the stuff that he gave me during our time together. And then the last thing with self is that I'm doing my sonnets. I wrote two lines in a sonnet every day in twenty twenty three, so ended the year with fifty two sonnets because each one is fourteen lines, so you can write one a week at that pace. And I found it was actually a really good practice for me, and I liked some of the poems I was creating by the end, and so I decided to keep going with it.
Speaker 1: So I now I have what like seventy eight.
Speaker 2: I guess that's a fifty two plus twenty six seventy eight poems. By the end of the year, I'll have one hundred and four more or less, maybe one hundred and five, depending on how the weeks work.
Speaker 1: And yeah, awesome, And sometimes you publish them on your blog. I do, so if you want to see them, come check them out.
Speaker 2: We're going to take one more quick ad break and we'll be back to hear about Sarah's amazing personal accomplishments this year. All right, Well, we are back doing our mid year goal check in. So, Sarah, you had some big personal goals that you kind of knocked out of the park, so let's hear about that.
Speaker 3: Yes, the first goal on my personal list was to train to try to qualify for the Boston Marathon, and I did that last month. Yay, it was awesome. I mean I had definitely had this on my like one hundred dreams lifeless for almost two decades at this point. It's been something I've wanted to do not for you know, it's one of those things like I'm not curing anything, I'm not achieving anything that's necessarily adding to the world's canon. But I just wanted to do it for me to like see if I could work towards something and achieve it. And it was just the right level of hard that it just took a lot and was really.
Speaker 1: Really gratifying to make it come true. So I did continue to work with my coach.
Speaker 3: I think I don't know if I could have done this with it because I really needed the guidance to achieve the level of my ledge that I did, and my husband and I actually fun fact, so the way Boston works is you have to qualify, but then you also have to get a certain amount under the qualifying time to actually run the race. Most years, and my time ended up being three hours and thirty five minutes and one second, just like an eight to twelve pace, which is four minutes and fifty nine seconds below the cutoff. And then for him, he ran like three nineteen fifty one, which ended up being five minutes and nine seconds below the cutoff.
Speaker 1: So the fun part about that.
Speaker 3: Is that like unless the cutoff were to fall at like five minutes and five seconds, which it could, but like probably what we would either both make it or not. And so that was actually kind of like a really sweet ending for us to both like kind of have the same awesome result. The funny part is that it took me about twice as much work as it took him. But you know, hey, that means you can compensate for lack of talent by trying hard.
Speaker 2: Because what was in his marathon time? I was like three nineteen or something.
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, but that part, I mean, men are going to be expected to run faster than women on average, but the cutoff for him is faster than me. So like for a forty nine year old man, I think the cutoff was like three twenty five, Yeah, through twenty five, and he ran just under three twenty and mine was three forty and I ran just over three thirty five. Well, it's so funny because the BQ time is then not really the BQ time. It's like the the official BQ time, but then not. Yeah, historically it used to be, and then they started to have to add cutoffs in there. And then the other funny part is that Queen of All planners. I had booked a Disney cruise that was during twenty twenty five Boston Marathon already. Not only did I book this, but I booked it like with friends, so I actually and I knew this going in. So I am not actually planning on submitting our times for twenty twenty five, but I feel really really confident that it will work out for twenty twenty six. Well, can you use your time from this year? You can't, so you're gonna have to do it again. Yes, but I get ten more minutes.
Speaker 2: So oh well, because when you're forty five, Yeah, okay, that makes sense. Well wow, I mean that seems like you should be able to do that.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel really confident at this time. I mean, obviously anything could happen. It can happen, and I really feel like I achieved my aim. My aim was to qualify. My ame was not actually specifically to run. I wanted to meet that BEKU standard and now I can say I did so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also had on my personal that was the biggest thing, and it was the most time consuming thing. So everything else you'll hear. But I wanted to go to a yoga class and that did not happen yet, probably because I was too busy marathon training, So that's fine, that's going to be for later. I wanted to read every day and record the pages read, and I kind of did. I kept it on this little calendar. In May, I slacked off, but I was still writing it all my daily planner. So there's something cool for me about being like, Okay, I got through thirty pages or I read one hundred and fifty pages because I finished the book. And it does help me to know when it's timed. I don't abandon books often, but I will once in a while, and if I'm like, oh my god, I'm making zero progress, it's been like ten days, I've read three pages, like it's time, and I will let something go. So that has been helpful. I didn't have any goal about like number of books to get through. I've done that in the past, but I didn't this year, and I'm kind of glad. I prefer it this way. I almost always read the same number of books anyway, like right around fifty and I think I'm it as we're recording this, like low twenties and it's not the end of June yet, so I'm exactly on track for myself. I wanted to improve my wardrobe, the only wardrobe improve with my running wardrobe. I have a complete race day which looks great now I have really pricey race shoes. But the thing is, you know, we have this allowance system, and I don't have the money to buy like two hundred and fifty dollars shoes multiple players and then also upgrade my actual clothing. So that was the choice I made, and I'm fine. I wanted to try to get regular manny petties and massage when I can, and I've gotten some. I've gotten enough. I feel like, I would say enough for me to use screens thoughtfully, okay, fair good, sometimes not as good to other times.
Speaker 1: To write daily in my experience journal.
Speaker 3: So I had this really cute little planner that I was going to write an experience every day, and I did for about five months, and I would be still doing it except that I also have this five year journal, and I just was finding day after day that I was like writing the same thing in both of them. And the five year journal is awesome, Like it is so cool. I love looking at it right now and has four years filled out, and like it's such a keepsake and I know I'm going to want to keep it, and I wasn't planning on keeping the other ones, so I was like, well, I don't really need both, so I'm abandoning that.
Speaker 1: I'm crossing it off my list.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to use my five year journal as I have been and make sure to try to include an experience every day and I will achieve the same aim.
Speaker 1: And then finally, I just wanted to quote.
Speaker 3: Say yes and save our experiences, and I think I've done pretty well with that so far. I have a lot of experiences. I'm also excited about to come this year. But we've had some really fun ones, from travel to skiing to seeing some concerts and things like that. So yeah, yeah, And then I say both of us have hit a major goal that we had stepped the year with this check in. I was like, well, it's our December episode.
Speaker 1: Gonna be really boring. But I guess more stuff will either happen.
Speaker 2: Or not happen in the course of the year and we can check in on that, you know, if we've stuck with the longer term ones and how that's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I still have enough on here that I mean, people are going to want to know if I decluttered my house.
Speaker 1: That's true, that's true, just kidding. And if you've written your book proposal.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and I'm sure, I don't know, maybe you'll have to come up with some other big goal.
Speaker 2: Well, there are things, I mean, there's certainly things I'm gonna have to happen and the rest of the year. But I probably didn't set quite as many goals as you did because I'm wary of setting ones that I'm not going to hit, and I put a few that were uncertain, and so it's like, you know, put all your effort into the uncertain ones.
Speaker 3: Versus I don't know. I guess it's a different mindset about it. Do you feel like you achieved anything like serendif it is, or anything that wasn't on your list that you're excited about.
Speaker 1: I don't know that there was.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously, like coming back from a back injury was a big thing that had to happen. This is a big spring and took time and a lot of sort of adjustment in life and how I do stuff. But people listening to this, I still cannot empty the dishwasher without like pain, and like I have to do it in a certain way.
Speaker 1: Anyway, long story, we don't need to get into this, so still in progress. You came back in progress.
Speaker 2: So it's more like I didn't have a goal to like try to live my life without daily pain, but that is kind of a goal that will have to be worked on. But you had a big goal with like your kids schooling, right, I mean.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, Like it wasn't a goal just like you said, Like it certainly wasn't when I set out to do all this stuff.
Speaker 1: I wasn't like.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to pull out one contract and help a kid apply to schools and like start all over again.
Speaker 1: But we ended up doing that and it.
Speaker 3: Worked itself out, and I'm super happy, and I feel like it did take a ton of my bandwidth during the spring, and so I want to give myself credit for that because it was just an undertaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, applying to schools is always challenging, and that's something I mean, it's not my project, it's one of my children's projects. But in the second half of this year, Jasper is going to be doing all of his college applications. I mean some Arede earlier, but a lot of them are due January first, which means that that is going to be a twenty twenty four project for him, again, not for me, but I will be assisting him with making sure it happens and helping him do as best as he can on it. And so yeah, that's I mean, I guess that'll be something. But that's not like an outcome goal for me. The goal is that I hope he feels happy with how it's going, that it's a non stressful part of family life. I don't have any particular goal about where he would get in because that's not me.
Speaker 1: It's not my life.
Speaker 3: Your goal could be like support him peacefully the application season. Exactly, Yeah, exactly, that is the personal goal that's actually big.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure, yeah, that's gonna take a lot. So yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So Sarah, the question for this week is related to goals, which you get this a lot, like where do you actually keep your goals and all your beautiful and amazing paper products which is the official goal keeping place.
Speaker 3: Well, unfortunately we're not on video, but I am holding this up. So I have this leather discbound planner that I actually got from cloth and paper. They send it to me, and I was kind of like, what am I going to do with this? I don't use a lot of diskbound in my normal planning, but I was like, this might be really nice to keep, like kind of like things I just want to file and have handy, and their stuff happens to be like incredibly aesthetically pleasing, like their paper is beautiful. And so I've been using this all year and it's awesome, like we can hear the sound effects to be turning the pages. But I have like all my PTO in here, and one of the first things in here is my annual goals from twenty twenty four, and every time I seasonally set out to create my goals for the season, I know exactly where to find that annual goals list. I have taken pictures of that and put it in Apple Notes in case I ever want to refer to it on the go. So it's kind of a funny hybrid tech, you know, handwritten thing, but I like to actually do the writing on paper. And because it's in this book that I kind of refer to all year, it's just nice. And I put my seasonal goals and my monthly goals in there as well. I also track my reading in there, kind of have things like yeah, I mentioned like all my paid time off for the year kind of figured out, and then even things like reminding myself what I like to do during various planning sessions. I have like guidelines in there, so it's like a reference binder. But it's been super helpful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mine is not that fancy, but I do have it's a slightly nicer notebook, and that the cover is hard versus fancy.
Speaker 1: Tell us about that fancy. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I bought this one or not, if somebody gave me this notebook. That's about the level of thought I put into it. But in advance of Sarah was Best Laid Plans Live last year. I knew coming in and because we would have this goal setting episode in November we would record it. I had to get organized on what my goals were for the year, so I sort of brainstormed in there, and then when I went to her retreat, I sort of refined them a bit more and wrote like a real list of them and some of the stuff that she gave me, so it was all there and yeah, I mean, if anyone is, I'll put in a plug here. Obviously, Best Laid Plans Live is sold out for twenty twenty four, but if you would like some more of a goal setting annual experience, keep that in mind for twenty five. And I suspect Sarah may teach a course of goal setting that is available for people who can't make the live in person event. She'll do an online one that you could probably sign up for in November to somewhere somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 3: We did that last year and it was great, and it was I think people found it really helpful. So you use that, But then let's get to the notebook. So then you did you transfer everything to the notebook and then you just know where to refer to it, like as the year's gone on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean when you reminded we were doing this episode, I had to go back and look.
Speaker 2: But most of them I remember because they're so I mean, they're either so big, like I knew that I was professionally aiming for the book contract for much of the spring, or it's daily like the Sonnets and box. So I'm not gonna forget that. I wanted to do sonnets and box, so you know, I had to remind myself of a few things, like the twentieth anniversary, although I sort of have that in the back of my brain that it's gonna happen, but something will happen, Something will happen.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: But yeah, there's no right answer as to where you keep them, except that you have them somewhere where you're gonna remember and be able to find later. For some people, digital works better for that. For other people, some kind of physical item works better. But there's no one right answer.
Speaker 1: There, all right, Sarah, I love of the Week.
Speaker 3: I love these episodes. They're so fun, they're fun to do, they're fun to listen to. I hope other podcasts are doing midyear check ins. I feel like Happier usually does one.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: People, let me know if you've heard a good midyear check in episode. Please send me an email Sarah dot Heart dot Hunger at gmail dot com alert me to where I can find these episodes because I enjoy listening to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean I enjoy them too, and it's good that we do them because it reminds me to check in on my annual goals and that level of accountability is good for all of us. But if you don't have that built into your life, take this as the opportunity to think back. Did you set any New Year's resolutions? Did you make any goals for the year? Did you have to sort of set anything as professional goals at work, like when you were doing a check in with your manager at the beginning of the year. Do you have any that you set personally apart from that, did you and your partner discuss anything that you would like your family to look like. See if you can kind of retrace these if you wrote them in one place, awesome, But if you didn't, I don't know, maybe sort of think back and look at what you were doing at the time or anything that you thought was important to you then. But you can also set new goals now, like even if you didn't set goals at the beginning of the year. There is nothing magical about January first. I mean sometimes it feels a little magical, but there's nothing actually magical about it. You can absolutely set goals that start July first, right in the middle of the year. They could be annual goals, like to see how you do at the end of fiscal year of going through in the summer, or just check in in December again, or you can set quarterly goals right or quintile goals, whatever you want, but starting July first to September thirty, that would be a great length of time to set some goals for and see how you do with that. So we always think it's worthwhile to at least try yes, love it all right, Well, this has been best of both worlds with our mid year goal check in. We will be back next week with more on making work and life fit together.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore Shoebox on Instagram, and you.
Speaker 2: Can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. This has been the best of both worlds podcasts. Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.