Speaker 1: To on the Move, Darling Deep Speedways, Peace Hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's gone my ad hands in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield, And on today's show, I don't care what your thoughts are about how the season's gone so far, how you view this potential playoff push down the stretch.
Speaker 1: It is Jets Week, the goddamn Jets.
Speaker 2: That's right, Frankenstein. The gd Jets are in town. And if you can't get up for Jets Week, then I don't want to know about you. We're gonna preview this game top to bottom and tell you how the Dolphins are gonna roll. Gang Green comes Sunday from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is it is the Draft Time Podcast. Yea couple of.
Speaker 1: Things off the top.
Speaker 2: So number one, as you probably heard this morning already, the Dolphins Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee is none other than alec Ingold. I think he has a chance to win the damn thing. We'll be keeping a close eye on that. I also have a pick for the game tonight. We're gonna do the week fourteen picks tomorrow on the show, but tonight is maybe the best Thursday game of the entire year. I will take the Lions over the Packers. I think it's the Lions year. I think if I had to adjust my Super Bowl pick right now, I'd probably go Lions and Bills. Pretty chalky. I think I would take the Lions to win that game. So we'll see they're gonna play. Those two teams are gonna play here in a couple of weeks. But I'm taking the Lions over the Packers. But man, how good is the NFC North with Green Bay, Detroit, and Minnesota all at nine or more wins?
Speaker 1: Crazy crazy year this year.
Speaker 2: But let's go ahead and get back to the AFC East and the battle of the two potential Super Bowl preseason picks that flamed out in kind of from around way and before that, real quick, I just want to point out to a tongue of I Loows Wednesday press conference where he acknowledged that he felt he left his guys out to dry by making the decision he made back in Week two against the Buffalo Bills and kind of took the onus for some of those losses during that one and three stretch. And yeah, Oose, if you were healthy, I think we go four to ozer during that stretch. And I think you're eight and four and you are feeling very good about this football team as it is right now.
Speaker 1: But I digress.
Speaker 2: We'll get back there next year, hopefully when one stays healthy the entire year, and hopefully that's coming off of the heels of a third consecutive trip to the postseason, as the Dolphins looked to him mount a five game winning streak and make that happen.
Speaker 1: And it starts this week against.
Speaker 2: The goddamn Checks And I for one cannot wait. So Week fourteen, hard Rock Stadium for a one o'clock kickoff on CBS. The weather's going to be perfect, guys, seventy eight degrees. They're supposed to be up to ten to fifteen mile an hour win gus but nothing substantial, no rain, partly cloudy, A beautiful day here as we are in the midst right now. A cold front which gets your north faces and your mittens and your snow boots out because it's been in the sixties all week.
Speaker 1: It even gets into the fifties at nighttime.
Speaker 2: So please keep us South Floridians in your tea's and ps as we try to get through this difficult, difficult time. But Sunday it's going to be back to being perfect December South Florida weather. Let's go ahead and meet the Jets. The Jets, the Stiege. I hate these guys, man, I hate this team so very much. No matter how bad it gets. As a Dolphins fan, at least you always have Jets misery. And this is probably the team as we kick off our intro that you need the least amount of intro four. I feel like we all we did was talk Jets all off season, and now here we are for our first game against Aaron Rodgers in nearly two years that he's been with the team, and it comes off the heels of a season where he played just four snaps. Do you think the Jets this year will get more wins than snaps played last year by Rogers? They went seven to ten last year and now they're out to a three and nine start this season, and this is the kind of year that causes them to the Jets killed Carl and the way this year is gone there probably killing a lot more people too, because they are terrible, and you know the story before, you know, Rogers got there before even Zach Wilson. They bottomed out in twenty twenty. They won a couple of games down the stretch that year, in a game that they should have just given to the Rams, and they could have gotten Trevor Lawrence, who maybe Lawrence's career gets off to a different start than it has so far if he's in New York, and they would have had a franchise quarterback and they could have avoided paying a guy to come in there and run the entire operation from the quarterback position in Aaron Rodgers. But they wind up with Zach Wilson, who went down as maybe the biggest bust in NFL draft history, alongside JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. And you know, he's no longer with a team, And it's just proof, I think the way this Jets team has played out the last five years of how hard it is to build a team to get them to come together at the exact same time. Because those Zach Wilson years produced seven and eight win years while the passing offense was literally setting marks all time lows for EPA per drop back from the quarterback position. But now the defense has taken the step back, which if you're a Drive Time listener, you know that two years is about the max you can expect from an elite defense on a back to back consecutive basis. Look at the Ravens this year after last year, Look at the Chiefs this year. It's not been as good. It's been good, but not as good. It's just tough to do that. And the offense has been marginally better, easier to sustain success on that side of the ball. But they were hoping those two things would clash together. Elite defense and you drop in an elite quarterback who surprise is not elite quarterback at age forty one, coming out an Achilles injury, and that just hasn't happened at all. In fact, it's reset them back behind the eight ball further than where they were probably when they made that twenty twenty one draft class happen.
Speaker 1: But you know how this team was built. It's you know, it's kind of like doing the bills.
Speaker 2: You don't have to get the refresher here now next year with a new GM and head coach, they will require some catching up in this section, but not this year, as we are pretty certain they'll go in a different direction than Jeff Olbrick, who was one and six since taking over for Robert Salah who was two and three when he left that building Jets offense in the scheme. I think a major contributing factor to the Jets struggles has been the inability to run the football, paired with an offense that takes a lot of time and reps to really perfect. I mean, let's call it what it is. It's the Aaron Rodgers offense. It's a series of high level side adjustments that is communicated through hands, signals and familiarity with each other. Hence why I think the belief that DeVante Adams would come in and make an major impact right away was kind of a farccle approach. But I don't think you've I think you've seen the lack of chemistry even as recently as last week, like there was a missed wide open room service lay up touchdown to Garrett Wilson and Rogers. Aaron mells it by about four steps. They have a lot of options and the aforementioned site adjustments. I just don't think everybody is playing convicted within what they see and how they adjust on the fly. You get a lot of routes that come back to the quarterback. That is a one oh one rule breaking procedure for an offense. For me, I don't want stagnant round to the guys standing still. I want them to be running towards the goal line or towards the sideline when they catch the football. I think a lot of that belief is that Aaron will see it and play on time, and then if he's not there, there's just not a lot of ability to create because well, you have to keep eight healthy, right we saw how last year went down. But also just the design of that offense, like it's not designed really cohesively to maximize spacing and to create conflict to open up routes on the offense. There's there's not a professional play design. Like Todd Downing took over the play calling for net for Nat Hackett, but he's called we're calling him Nat by the way. I mean, yeah, that's what That's what you're always gonna get. That's why Rogers flamed out in Green Bay with you know Matt Lafleur and Mike McCarthy before that. By structure, it's seventy percent eleven personnel, twenty percent twelve personnel, and the rest goes to thirteen and twenty one, So pretty common NFL deployment with the fullback use in there, with plenty of tie end usage. They've been substantially better versus zone than man coverage this year, and I think that goes back the site adjustment comment, where it's just easier to spot throw than it is to throw guys open, which is funny because that's like the primary basis of their offense, but they haven't played that way this year. How to attack them a quick spoiler. The first key is going to be a stop their early down running game, and quite frankly, that's what most teams have done against them in those nine losses. And they'll mix it up with gap and zone runs and different variations of the zone running game, but man, they have really struggled at the point of a tech, particularly off the edge at the tight end position. I think you can accomplish this by playing lots of bass, which could bode well for you if you don't have cater Kohu, but also getting your dogs, you know, Seler and Campbell on the edge, like they've done so many times this year playing that five technique position. We've seen them both have success out there. I think this is a game where they could replicate that look from a defensive structure standpoint. I'd also call on a good mix of man coverage with Ramsey and if Fuller comes back in that regard as well. Obviously, the aforementioned Seiler and Campbell off the edge means more DeShawn Hand and Benito Jones inside. But as far as the Jets go, like you know, they have really struggled to communicate upfront, and so I think we see the typical you know, Anthony Weaver blitz and sim pressure looks. I think you could get some double clutches and then once you collapse the pocket, Rogers is not going to run around and create and you don't have to worry about, you know, flushing him outside of the pocket sideways because he doesn't have the ability to.
Speaker 1: Burn you that way.
Speaker 2: If you win enough in the early downs, you're gonna get your third down ops, and I think plenty of sacks are there to be had if you get those third down ops. Let's go ahead and get right into the Jets offense. The big three Number one. We already told you what was going to be shut down the early down running game. So the Jets running offense that's not dissimilar to ours in terms of how they want to start and unfold things from there. A lot of outside zone. The stresses your conditioning, your ability to set edges and then unfurl the passing game from there. But they've struggled with that for a handful of reasons. First, they might not have Breeze Hall in this game. He didn't practice on Wednesday after leaving Sunday's game against the Seahawks. They've really struggled the most on the edges, particularly with the ancillary pieces like your y tight end, your f and your receivers on crackbacks. You Day one Locked on listeners will remember this. My buddy Joe Blewett, who I used to do work with on the old AFC East Bros.
Speaker 1: Podcast.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Kyle and Gary Smith wherever you guys are these days. But Joe has a real of them losing the point of attack strong side or losing contain on the backside from that tight end position and allowing a backdoor pursuit defender to cut down those plays early in the development of the play. It's been a problem for them all year long, especially for a team that lives in as much twelve, twenty one and thirteen personnel, that has multiple backs or tight ends on the field at a given time as frequently as they run that those formations. And then you have an offensive line that, I think, through injuries this season but also changes in the offseason, they've never really had the chance to settle in and gel as one cohesive unit. Like gosh, offensive line continuity is such an important I think I might say it's as or maybe even more important than the individual collection of talent that you have. They've gotten twelve games from their center Joe Tipman and their left guard John Simpson, who was a decent free agent signing. But they got ten games from their right guard Elijah Vera Tucker, which is more than he's ever given them, and nine games from each of their tackles in Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses. So there's been some shuffling at pretty much every spot, as everybody on the team has missed a game. Besides Tipman and or No. Yeah, they're three to nine twelve games. Yeah, so Tipman and Simpson have not missed a game, but those the tackles in the right guard have all missed games at different times, so they've had to shuffle that lineup. And one of those guys right now is currently down in Tyron Smith, So it's Olufashan, who had left tackle, the rookie from Penn State. So really they're as healthy as anybody, because that's the only opening day start that's down right now is Tyron Smith and maybe Breeze Hall. But I think Breecee's on his way towards a backup role at some point in this league. But I think that Braylan Allen is right there in terms of his talent. And that's not a way of propping Braylan Allen up as much as it is kind of denigrating Breeze Hall's skill set, because I watched him a couple times this year and he looks slow and not a good decision maker, and I just I don't see it there with that player. But the final part of the run game struggle is the consequence of having a forty one year old quarterback off major surgery, there's not going to be a lot of moving around for him, and the ability to bootleg off those outside zone runs makes life so much more difficult because there's not as much of a need to contain backside, so the defense can get an extra hat in the fit and not be all that concerned about the quarterback keeping it naked out the other direction. So when I look at the fins, I think about getting Seeler and Campbell on the edge to beat up their tied end and left tackle combination, but also to put pressure on Rogers' backside, his blind side, and then the speed of Chop Robinson against their right tackle Morgan Moses, who's a good player, but if there's one thing he struggles with it is speed.
Speaker 1: What does Chop have?
Speaker 2: Plenty of speed? So I think that Chop is set for a big game here as well as Zach.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 2: Those are my two big clicks to pick click to picks on We'll get it right clicks to pick picks to click. There it is on defense with Sealer and Chop gone.
Speaker 1: Damn Jets.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I had to throw that in there to break up the monotony of me struggling to say picks to click my second big key against the Jets, and this is more about us.
Speaker 1: It's me, it's not you.
Speaker 2: Classic breakup tactic, tactic is tackling again. It's twofold, but I just think we need a bounce back effort. This is a nutcutting game, as OJ McDuffie would call it in terms, But I want I need to see who can prove that last week was a fluke compared to what's the norm for Well, I guess it hasn't been the norm for this defense. But they have to find a way to get back to toughness and tackling and setting the tone on defense. You can't miss seventeen or twenty or twenty three tackles, whatever it was. I've seen that number multiple different times at different numbers from different publications. But Next Gen had it at seventeen, so I will go with that number. But this is like you know again, it's it's not me, it's you.
Speaker 1: Category.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to the fundamentals. Let's get back to bringing our feet. You heard that was a common thread this week in press conferences from McDaniel, from Seeler, from Chop Robinson, all the defenders that I've talked to in media Availabilies this week said we have to bring our feet, which is, you know, technique and fundamentals, bring your feet through the tackle. And of course it's not going to be as cold or a slippery on the surface, so that probably helps as well.
Speaker 1: But let's let's get it right there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mentioned, you know, Jordan Brooks on the All twenty two podcast, and I think Kyle Kyle Krabs tweeted about, you know how he wasn't just you know, talking to talk, he walked the walk because I thought he really brought the toughness and played sixty minutes in that Packers game and then had the comments that he made in the locker room after the fact. And that's why I was so big on that signing, on top of all the physical traits that he brought to the position. But you know, guys like him that really stood out on the All twenty two pod, leave the charge, be the guy, be the one that is, you know earns that captain c next year, Guys like Zach Seeler and Kalais Campbell. And let's go back to the Patriots game where the tempo, the the like the temperature that you set was a really good early tone, and you carried it throughout the course of the game. I wouldn't just toss this in here independent of the opponent, like I wouldn't just do that. I still contend it's an US thing. Let's prove it to ourselves. But this is in the copy. Because of Braylan Allen, his role has reduced. I was actually surprised to see this going back over the last few weeks because I watched like every Jets game for the first seven or eight games or so and have not been as in tune to them the last couple of weeks. I did watch the whole Seahawks game just to get a taste of what they're doing now. But he was used early on in the passing game. It has kind of taken a back seat to Breeze Hall for whatever reason. He averages just three point six yards per carry, but he is a big dude who can run behind his pads. Sometimes he doesn't run as big as he is, which is like the ultimate knock I can put on running back of that size, and he averages just three point six yards per carry and just two point nine to one yards after initial contact. But there were some tackling postures in that game where if they bring that to Braylen Allen, you're gonna get your butt run over.
Speaker 1: So don't do that.
Speaker 2: And just for posterity, Breeze Hall has twenty seven enforced miss tackles at three point one nine yards after contact, so he is not any easier of a tackle if he plays in this game. First break right there, We'll come back and do the final key against the Jets offense. Then we'll do the Dolphins offense against the Jets defense. What's stake, range of predictions, keys of the game. All of that coming your way here on the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought.
Speaker 1: To you by AutoNation.
Speaker 2: So I clipped off the curb your Enthusiasm and the Big Daddy cut ups there for the Jets. There's lots of like pop culture references to the Jets, which I enjoy because it's always talking crap about them. I tried to find the clip from Big Daddy when he goes like this guy, for instance, hey buddy, who won the Jets game? And he goes who cares? And he goes, hey, it's not your fault, buddy, And Maddie your dad, not me. I forgive you, Yeah, I am. I hate my father. I tried to find that clip, but there's not a good one of it. The only ones that exist on YouTube are like people that recorded their TV from their phone, and we're not about that poor audio quality here on the Draft Time podcast. So you got my version of it, not the clip of Big Daddy for that version. The third big key to stopping this Jets Mundane Aaron Rodgers let attack is the Marquee matchup part one and then part two with our offense against their defense. The Marquie matchup will be Tyreek and Waddle versus those Jets cornerbacks. So that's another spoiler for you here in segment two. But point one is about DeVante Adams and Garrett Wilson versus Jalen Ramsey and Kendall Fuller, who should play in the game on Sunday. I saw him practice on Wednesday, albeit in a red medical non contact jersey, but I imagine he will get removed from protocol by the end of the week. I know their offense has been up and down and struggled, and they stink and they can't get lined up, and their offenses archaic and they don't have a good.
Speaker 1: Quarterback and the offense it's just bad. It's really bad.
Speaker 2: But you can pull up individual reps and see like, oh, that's what they were going for. That was the thinking there. There is some remnants of a Hall of Fame quarterback inside that guy. There are some of game breaking receivers in those guys. And what I think their best at is in flight adjustments. No pun intendant for the Jets there go figure, but Rogers he has no problem like trying to throw guys open, and that's been their most successful play is like third and medium back shoulder conversion or it's the go come back back shoulder conversion option where you if you play him without safety help, it's typically to the X receiver to the boundary the short side of the field. They'll go after that matchup and they'll show a vertical release and once the quarterback dictates, you know, his his hip flip and declares where he's going to try to sprint to, they will get that cornerback out of phase and then Rogers will throw that thing back shoulder, and both Adams and Garrett Wilson are very good at adjusting to the back shoulder ball, and Alan Mazard was this year too, but he's down right now. So it'll be imperative for Ramsey to play physically up the stem, for Fuller to find his way into the proper position to make those big plays, because I think that he doesn't really have the body composition to make that physical matchup the way Ramsey does. And it's the same on the interior for Cater when he gets the matchups, or for Storm Duck on the perimeter. If Cater cannot go and we have to go three cornerbacks with Cater's or rather storm Duck is the third is by the way, camp Smith back on ir might have seen his last game as a Miami Dolphin.
Speaker 1: We'll see about that going forward.
Speaker 2: But if you get those looks, you're gonna have to find a way to match up on those guys physically. I actually might like Duck more on the outside than I do Fuller and have Fuller kick in for some slot roles in that position, so it's something to keep an eye on. I think it's important to play with the mindset of disruption at the line of scrimmage and remain physical without getting grabby down the stem. You cannot give these guys free access. They have struggled all year with their timing, but don't let them find it by playing passive and letting them dictate the terms in terms of where they want the football to go. If you do that with what I discussed in the earlier points, I think you free up some ability to create some splash plays on defense, to get some takeaways, and give the offense some short fields and take control of this game. When have we gotten short fields for the offense? We had one against the Raiders and it was a twenty five a twenty three, No, twenty five yard to play touchdown drive. I'm trying to think when else do we get short fields? Like maybe in the Rams game we had a couple. We scored on those. We just don't do it enough. The Seahawks game, got the ball at the four yard line and couldn't score on that one. Got to find a way to get short fields, and we don't do that ever anymore. Back in like twenty twenty, we got short fields all the damn time.
Speaker 1: That was fun.
Speaker 2: I want some short fields additional parts of their offense. Tyler Conklin is their best tight end. That's a fun matchup for Jordan Brooks, who I think can dominate it. But if it gets to the point of Javon Holland or Tyrrel Dotson, who made some serious business decisions on Thursday night against the Packers, I don't like it as much.
Speaker 1: Against those guys.
Speaker 2: They have struggled to find that third replacement for Alan Bazard. It's kind of been Malik kind of Corley, a guy that I was kind of high on in the draft process, but he hasn't worked out at all this year for them. He's basically a gadget play right now, jet sweeps and screen games. So if you can take out Adams and Wilson, this offense will do absolutely nothing against you. And let's just you know, shout out the return because one, we can't defend anybody in a special team game. But they also had a kickoff return for a touchdown. They also had two takeaways on special teams last week. I mean tells you how bad they are. Right, if we ever got a special team's touchdown and two takeaways, we would win that game by thirty points. But they still lost that game. Xavier Gibson's the pump returner, and I don't know how to pronounce the same. We're gonna try it anyway, Kenny and Wongu. I don't know, dude, ninety nine yarder against the Seahawks on Sunday. Let's go ahead and pivot Pard, pivot to the Jets defense. Wait, Who's defense and gone, damn Jets. Thank you, Frankenstein. Let's go ahead and talk about the scheme first. Even with the coaching change, the principles remain the same. Speaking of principles, any of you guys watched Vice Principals starring Danny McBride and Walter Goggins.
Speaker 1: It's not like Eastbound and Down good.
Speaker 2: But it's pretty good. Anything Danny McBride does is really good for this Jets defense. You guys know the script here. It's Bob Sala's old defense with the Jeff olbrick you know, in charge of it now. But one gap penetration, play with your hair on fire. On the other side of the line of scrimmage, we've got athletic, physical linebackers that can play downhill and get vertical backwards, and they want to dictate the terms on the outside and plays tons of press cover, one man, free man coverage across the bottom, single high safety taking care of the top. They run the most Cover one in football, behind only the Lions, so the second most is why it's meant to say that's basically they're only a man coverage. Look, they do not play two man. In fact, they play it tied for the lowest rate in the National Football League, it's below one percent. So I don't expect them to run the one coverage that has actually given us fits over the last three years. Maybe they do, Maybe they'll just and they'll play something different like a Bill Belichick defense would do, but I don't think they will. Now they do have a good mix of zone where it's an even blend of Cover three and quarters.
Speaker 1: What does that mean, Travis.
Speaker 2: Cover three is three high safeties, quarters is four high safeties, and you can get some different matching in there as well.
Speaker 1: There's always variations with those coverage.
Speaker 2: They also get to cover quite a lot, which actually will pull your backside corner back down into the flat and you'll rotate quarter quarter half where you have a deep defender in the deep half and then two more defenders in the deep quarter. So it's like a variation of Cover three, but it's actually Cover six so Tua and the boys have to be very adept at filtering between take what's there and attack mode because they will play man free and go press on the outside and with their third and short medium packages and they will get the blitz after you in that way too. So that's the challenge, just with the calibration between taking what's there with the defense gives us and taking our shots, because I think the shots are going to be there. They do blitz at twenty five percent clip, but if they do that against this quarterback, you're gonna get dice.
Speaker 1: So I wouldn't I don't expect to be that heavy.
Speaker 2: How to attack it, I think we kind of told you there, but to confirm, run the football, get it on the edge, get it on the perimeter, and for the corners to play both the man and the football on the edge like that's tough to do. So make sure you get that the running out there to test their man cover skills.
Speaker 1: And because if they take off.
Speaker 2: With Tyreek on a vertical route and we run the stretch, you know, a little stretch crack toss back against it. If they don't set a hard edge, you have to win a race with CJ Mo or not.
Speaker 1: CJ.
Speaker 2: Mosley with Quincy Williams and Devon A Chan. Who do you pick in that race?
Speaker 1: Every time?
Speaker 2: It's Devon ah Chan and then you have to win. When they go to their man, coverage looks to go vertical over the top of them. It's honestly, it's a great approach with the personnel they have, it makes sense. That's why they got, you know, three really good cornerbacks in tow there. They just don't see anybody like the Dolphins when they face them in terms of two guys that can beat you with that type of coverage or you know, any type of coverage from those two cornerbacks on any given play. So always a fun matchup the Big Three against the Jets defense. Number one is to run the ball wide. This is a I can copy and paste this from the game in September and twenty or from October twenty twenty two to here in December and twenty twenty four. It's been the same first key literally every game. You'll recall that as the game where Teddy Bridgewater was removed after like scraping his helmet on the Jets end zone for some reason, you know, and also getting tagged with an intentional grounding call that was actually not intentional grounding. I don't understand one way to pay the price against the Jets for what happened in that Bengals game.
Speaker 1: But I digress.
Speaker 2: And you know, we were in scoring range in that game, down by a point in the fourth quarter in Skyler Thompson's first career start, where he was the worst version of himself right, and we went for over one point fifty on the ground in that game with no threat of a passing game, and it was mostly primitive runs. All things told, in the four matchups against the Jets under Mike McDaniel, we average one hundred and thirty seven yards per game on the ground, and two of those games did not have one of the game's best quarterbacks who holds the defense's attention for the passing game, which is impressive to me. It's a stylistic thing you hear sometimes from analysts, like Team A is a good matchup for Team B, even if Team A is a superior team. It's because of things like this. Their scheme plays that one gap upfield, stress your gaps, try to get down the field and and force them into quick decisions. And our ability to mitigate that by getting those players out of their gaps with peer speed to the edge and getting the ball around the corner. It just bodes well when we can pin them in on those immediate penetration attempts. Doesn't hurt that they have two corners that have no interest in tackling in my opinion, and safeties who don't really come from depth all that well, like they'll they'll play in the box and they'll kind of dictate that from their pre snap alignments. Although Jalen Mills does some of that, but I don't think he's a great player at that position. And it's not just the Dolphins. The Jets' two highest rushing totals allowed this year. You know, they've allowed more than one hundred and fifty yards and two games the Bills had one to forty nine on them. A few weeks back, the Niners had one hundred and eighty yards on Opening Night without Christian McCaffrey, and the Texans had a buck eighty seven on Halloween.
Speaker 1: And the Texans can't run the ball on anybody.
Speaker 2: Any idea who those two play callers are, Oh yeah, they're Kyle Shanahan and Bobby Slowik two of the Shanahan tree offshoots and really the originator part one b behind Mike Shanahan, right, But I mean that's you know, those are two of the top play callers in the league. At least Slowik was in that conversation before this year, So you get the whole point. Now, this is a good test of where I feel like we're sorely lacking and where the run game has kind of gone away for the Dolphins, not kind of, it has totally gone away. Austin was a difference maker at right tackle and we've never really had a true why that was a true plus blocker in the running game. So I think that there's something to be said about getting that production without having that against the Jets. But it's still like near the very top of my offseason shopping list. So we also have only had Devon a Chan for nine carries in those four games. He had nine for thirty two in the December game last year, did not play in the Black Friday game. And he has become a true bellcal for us. He's receiver three.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: He's receiver three, and he's also running back number one with a pretty decent gap between he and the workload of Raheem Moster, and I think that his ability to get the ball on the edge with how this run defense kind of invites that I could see Devon making his fantasy honors very happy this weekend. I think runs off of Toront Armstead's side with those Aaron Brewer pulls out into space, Julian Hill on those rat blocks and our wide outs in the blocking game, I don't expect this game to be any different. My bold prediction here is that devan Achan has one hundred and fifty yards from scrimmage and scores twice and probably one of those in the passing game. Let's go ahead and take our last break right there after, a bold bold bull bull bull bold prediction, and come back and tell you the keys number two and three for the Dolphins offense against the Jets defense, as well as the range of outcomes, the prediction for the game, what's at stake, and the three keys, all of that. Next Drive Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield right to you, back eronation, and that's about how I think this game is gonna go on Sunday. They never should have given me the skills to make sound drops because that's what you're gonna get. Let's go ahead and pick it back up with thing number two. I'm distracted here for the Dolphins offense against the Jets defense, and call it the pyrotechnics in because it might be time for some fireworks. I think this is the first defense that we will see that will present deep shot ops or one on one ops down the field in quite some time. Well, I guess the Patriots did some of that, but we kind of earned that those shots periodically against the Raiders and at Packers as well at times. But from the early commitment to the short game that brought those teams up a little bit. The Jets they know who they are, though, what their identity is, and how they play into that. They want to disrupt and challenge you, and they think their corners are all good enough to play man on any receiver in the league on any down distance in a game. Now, the reason I say we might be getting the fight song queued up even when we're at our own thirty yard line is twofold number one Sauce Gardner left last Sunday's game with the hamstring injury, and Jeff Oldbrooks that's too early to tell in his availability. He did not practice on Wednesday. Maybe they'll run him out there, but at three and nine, I have to imagine there's a little bit less urgency to do so with one of your best players. And that coincides with a second point, and that it is that I will always take Reek and Wattle against anybody who wants to man them up. Put Deon Sanders and Derel Revas out there. I'm still going to try to hit my home runs with those two guys, provided they do not have safety help. So those things and Sauce coming off a hamstring, I mean, I cannot think of a worse injury to play with when you're facing Tyreek Hill and again when he's healthy.
Speaker 1: This is just their play style. You guys have seen it in the past. Here.
Speaker 2: You remember that Black Friday game last year. We had two third and shorts, one to start the game, one to start the second half of the game, and we hit him for big plays in those looks thirty five and thirty two yard completions from Tua to Reek and Wattle. Wattles on Sauce and Reeks was on DJ Reid in that game, and who could forget the sixty yard touchdown to Wattle overread in the shutout down here in December. They also condense those guys inside and play the slot one on one. I think Tua's best throw is the slot fade or the boundary takeoff, which is the short side of the field, kind of make that deep throw shorter for him. The big play Wattle made against the Patriots was a slot fade, the gorgeous touchdown on the slot fade in Detroit two years ago. To me, it's one of their best routes they throw together. They'll kick Michael Carter out to the perimeter and have those guys run with us if it's third and four, third and three, and they'll tilt help to the one side, so you can identify that and then find your ex fade or your slot fade against that one on one coverage. So I think you'll see that a few times and hopefully we hit one or two of them. I told one of our photographers here who's been dying to get some deep ball shots, I said, when it's third and three or third and four, that's when it's gonna happen. So I'm hoping that he can find one of those photos. And I cannot wait for it to happen and to celebrate with him on Monday. To top this off, I think this is a game where we will have to focus, are going to have to focus or will focus, I should say, on our backs and tight ends and trust their cornerbacks to win because that's how you structured your defense, like you have to do that to win. Both safeties are more box players. Jalen Mills is a converted cornerback who loves to play the slot and head hunt as a robber, and Chuck Clark is one of the better tacklers in the game, but he doesn't really do a lot in terms of his deep coverage and I think that his return has really added stability to that back then, but his game is again not going to run vertical with four to two guys. Mills missed the first part of the year and Clark just got back from a mid season injury, so I think that the communication could be worth keeping an eye on if they if they're all, you know, lock and key with that, especially with Sauce possibly being out. And look, I don't hate the pieces at all, but this just feels to me like a week where you had an emotional game coming off your bye week after a brutal start to the year. They were two and one and went three in eight. So they went one and seven over the next eight games. Had the bye week a chance to kind of like refresh and maybe do some new stuff and feel refreshed for lack of a returnment coming out of the bye week. And they got all those breaks and they still could not pull off the win. The season's over. The GM got fired, the coach got fired. Who are you trying to impress this year? Like the quarterback is probably gonna be gone. You get out of the New York weather, you come down here in December to Miami. I could see this being a vacation game for the Jets, their practice week and study, maybe not having full in ten, maybe some guys taking a couple of short cuts here and there. So I know that I already predicted it a big day for a cham So I won't go one hundred yards for both Wreak and Waddle, But let's just say this. Let's say let's call the bold prediction three pass plays of twenty five plus yards between those three guys, and I'll do you one more and say that one of those will go for fifty plus and that could be a run play as well. So that's kind of I expect explosive plays the Dolphins against a Jets defense that wants to play a certain way I think might not have their heads in the right place and is a little bit banged up on that backside. Number three, help on Q and Will McDonald when they're not on seventy two. This rush used to be comprised of a super deep rotation that moved guys in and out, kept them fresh, and just came with wave after wave until they broke you down late in games. See that twenty twenty two game back in New York. Hassan Reddick was their big ticket free agent and they swapped him out for Bryce Huff, and Reddick hasn't played well the entire year. He missed half the year for a holdout and has not produced since he came back. And Bryce Huff was their best pass rusher last year, So what a net loss that was. Quentin Jefferson and John Franklin Myers are both gone, but they still have impact players. It's just not as deep as it was in the past. Luckily, McDonald rushes almost exclusively off the offense's left and I'm good just keeping tea stead there.
Speaker 1: Say hey, you go cut him down and we'll commit.
Speaker 2: Doubles and chips inside on Quinn Williams because after a slow start, he's starting to look like the old Quinn Williams of dominant past. But this also tracks back to the first key. I think both of their play styles are part of what invites the run in this matchup, but when they get too obvious pass downs, you have to have an answer for these guys. Like Luckily, I think Brewer has really stabilized things and can essentially pick out which side that Q goes to, and then whichever guard he can help on when he rushes that guard, and then on runs with WAM action and split flow, you know all the stuff where you can get wide and you know leave upfield pound trailers unaccounted for. I think you can scheme him out of the game a little bit that way too. So big day for our two best upfront going up against their two best upfront, and Brewer and tistead on Quinn Williams and Will McDonald. I did not mention Brandon Eckles he would be the replacement for Sauce Gardner, and I actually think he's a starter in most places, just not in the Jets, where they have three good cornerbacks Javon kin Law and saw them and Thomas play a lot of snaps, but they're kind of like replacement level. Maybe Salomon Thomas a bit above replacement level. Jamie and Sherwood's a fun player to watch. He has allowed juice to his game. He replaced CJ. Mosley who's been down with Andrey for a while, and then Quincy Williams is one of the better chasing tackle backers in the league. So their speed and ability to extend that hook zone and matchup on John Hu and Ah Chan that's a big deal, especially if that's where their attention goes instead of helping the receivers, which means that Wreak and Waddle gonna have to win you a football game like they did last year. For instance, what's at stake? Lose and you're done. I mean, how depressing was is that thought? But how depressing was Week thirteen? Like my god, man, every damn game the team that needed to win should have won and did not win. The Browns, Falcons and Patriots should have won those freaking football games. And had they done that, I think that we could afford a loss, but not in this one. Either way, this game was never an option to lose. It's a must win. They stink we're at home. Get me to Houston, because I think if you can win that game, the run to ten wins becomes very, very very plausible. And if you do that, you're gonna get in. You can be scared of the Colt schedule.
Speaker 1: All you want. It is favorable. I'll give you that.
Speaker 2: But they needed the buzzer to beat the Patriots, to beat the Jets, they barely beat the Titans. They lost to the Jaguars. It's not a good football team. They're gonna lose again down the last four games of the season. And I bet you, I bet you this. I bet you the season comes down to us having to win a game in New York, provided we take care of business in Week eighteen, and needing a Broncos loss in Kansas City. How much do you want to bet me that's the scenario. And so one thing you want to root for the rest of the way, in addition to you know, Broncos losses and all that stuff, is for the Chiefs to have a reason to play in Week eighteen, because if the season's on the line and the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Get who is it Blaine Gabber? Is he the backup for Casey? I forget.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see that situation. But in this game, lose and it's over. Nobody will care if you win this one, but it gets you to Houston, and if you win that one, then you'll be back in the conversation, which I need personally for that Niners game and need it range of outcomes. I think there's a small chance we lose this game. There always is, right, well, not always, but sometimes I just think it could be a one possession game potentially because of the talent and the playmaking they have buried deep in the annals of their team, like it's I don't think it's going to come out this year, but maybe it does once but they stink right, maybe they put it all together. I don't know, but I think you could get a twenty four to twenty three game possibly if we just crap the bed and turn it over and bust a coverage and tackle like we did on Thursday night and get bogged down in penalties, anything can happen at that point, But make no mistake about it, this is a team that plays like they signed a quarterback and gave him a voice more powerful than their head coach, and the GM like a team that had a quarterback who nobody wants to work with and let him choose. The OC has time and time again proven he is Adam Gase without Peyton Manning level competent, right.
Speaker 1: That's Nate Hackett quick aside on that.
Speaker 2: I often see the floor as returned to a head coaching chair commentary of this offseason, and I'm always like, do we not remember that? Literally nobody wanted to work on this man's staff. Oh the stories I could tell you guys. One day, One day, we'll do that. The funniest thing that Jets did was fire Sala and pulled Ulbrich from the defense because Sala wasn't a good head coach. Don't get that twisted. But at least with the dynamic they had, there was a sense of cohesion on defense. But now they look like a team that has a trying to handle day to day operations that takes them away from install and preparation of meetings and from repping practice and walkthroughs like, I think this game gets ugly, which stretches the other end of the range quite wide. I don't think they'll be able to stop our running game. I think Sauce is kind of on that Javon Hollandarck a little bit and might not play in the game even I think their constant offensive mistakes will compound issues and we will run these dudes out of the building. The range is like thirty eight to ten, but I'm not going to go that crazy, so I will say Dolphins win this one thirty one to thirteen.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Hey's the victory stretch this Jets defense with perimeter runs, get them running wide, get that outside run game going.
Speaker 1: Number two.
Speaker 2: Exploit your one on one opportunities they're going to give you for Tyreek and waddle and number three collapse the Jets pocket from the edge and beat up Old Man River from the outside in.
Speaker 1: Hey, old Man River, zip it or I'll break your head. All right, last one, I promise, let's go ahead and get out of here. You all.
Speaker 2: Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast rating review all that funds to follow me on social at winkfold NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the Fish Tank podcast. The Tim Ruddy episode is b be good.
Speaker 1: Check it out with Seth and Juice.
Speaker 2: Check out the YouTube channel for a brand new episode of Dolphins HQ tonight as well as media availabilities and so much more.
Speaker 1: And last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 2: Until next time, fins up head on camera and Daddy