Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys Straining live from the Dallas Cowboys World.
Speaker 4: Tours at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 5: Don't take burners, Let's got kids ty paints in the Texdown.
Speaker 4: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 6: It's a wonderful Wednesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frasco.
Speaker 3: Texas in the s WBC studios. Welcome in, everybody.
Speaker 6: We've got Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Tommy Yarish to break down this Week three matchup for the Dallas Cowboys again those Chicago Bears.
Speaker 3: Bears beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman's glad you're with us.
Speaker 6: It is a return to Chicago for one Matt Eberflus. And today we previewed the Dallas defense against that.
Speaker 3: Chicago Bears offense.
Speaker 6: And so we'll talk about Kayleb Williams, Romeya Dunz, a, Colston Loveland and a couple of those other guys that they play in the Chicago Bears def or excuse me, offense going up against Matt Eberflus, their former head coach. Pat you got to matching blues on today, I'll do I like it.
Speaker 3: So who is this guy?
Speaker 2: So I we're going to get you up to speed?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like yesterday my mentions on Twitter were nothing about like football, It was all about.
Speaker 3: Why how did you not know who macho Man is? How did you not?
Speaker 6: Just for reference, after the show was over, Josh made me pull up a clip and I do recognize Randy Savage. Macho Man, Macho Man Savage. Right, Yes, that's how you're supposed to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just didn't know this specific.
Speaker 7: That's not how you're supposed to say it.
Speaker 3: Randy. Oh wait what is it?
Speaker 7: Are you supposed to do the macho man voice?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so I can't do the voice cho.
Speaker 7: You're supposed to do the whole thing.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if you.
Speaker 6: Wanted like a PA like like you said announcer announcer Savage, that.
Speaker 7: You could do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how I'm going to introduce.
Speaker 2: I really want to hear Kyle as a heel commentator.
Speaker 8: Now, really, he would be excellent at it. He would be a good heel commentator. Be Cody Graves, he'd be weight Beard. I could I could see.
Speaker 7: I could see you getting stunned in the middle of the ring. Not for any particular reason.
Speaker 5: After after the show, remind me to show you some clips of Waite Beard and uh and Corey Graves.
Speaker 2: You will see what I mean. You would exist.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 5: So we do have one quick news and note Cowboy Cowboys do have that active excuse me, available roster spot on the practice squad after activating Ryan Flinoyd last weekend. They're looking to fill that today with offensive lineman Wesley French. He joins the Cowboys. He was previously undrafted free agent signed out of Western Michigan to the Indianapolis Coats and at the time, guess who was employed by the Coats offensive coordinator Clayton Adams. So obviously French joins the Cowboys to try to provide some depth with Cooper bb going on IR for what could be up to six to eight weeks, and he'll be behind Brock Kauffman and TJ.
Speaker 2: Bass.
Speaker 5: So just one quick little little note there. Transaction Cowboys going to do.
Speaker 3: Today Tommy, what do you seen when it comes to French.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think you know, I always think back to Brian Schottenhamber told us a training camp is you know, we saw TJ. Bass taking reps at center and it was like, oh, you know, what do you see there? And he just loves having guys who can snap the football, and he wants depth in that position because something happens to your center. You know, that snap is not necessarily the easiest thing to have down sometimes, especially when your starter and your quarterback have things down pat So he likes having depth in terms of guys who can play center. You've got that in Trevor Keegan, who was listed on the unofficial Death Chart as the backup center to brock Hoffman. Now TJ. Bass will be another guy that's kind of in the mix there. And now you've got Wesley French. He's undrafted twenty twenty two out of Western Michigan, spent his first three seasons with the Colts. He's played in seventeen games, I believe throughout his career so far. So just another guy that you can have and and and trust to snap the football. And now it's all about building raport with Dak Prescott and the quarterbacks and getting things worked and out well.
Speaker 5: And to answer your question with the other news. And note this gentleman's name is Gokure.
Speaker 2: That cultured. It is the culture right here, all right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's on the laptop. And oh that's right, I remember that. Now.
Speaker 2: These are just different levels. Yeah, there's just different levels.
Speaker 5: This is like the powers. This is more powerful level. And the one on the laptop.
Speaker 3: Are you familiar with him?
Speaker 8: No, I don't watch I don't watch backward cartoons, dude.
Speaker 7: I'm all right, dude, I said, go read your backwards cartoons.
Speaker 5: Should not to be able to read a manga from right to left.
Speaker 7: I'm not priving to backs cartoons.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: I called it a cartoon just the other day when we were up top and we were talking about anime, and I was like, I'm not big in the cartoons, and they both whipped around so that he tried to tried. I winked at uh at Patrick so he didn't jump off sides. Tommy was like, fifteen yards in the back, can we fire?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was really fun. I was Sam Williams in twenty two.
Speaker 8: Not necessarily I was ready to jump there. Dragon ball Z I can get down with for the most part.
Speaker 6: But like I started start, well, you talk about rare in the go, Like we talked about right at the beginning of the show, Maddy Iberflues makes his return to Chicago, and one thing that stuck out to me in Brian Schottenheimer's early press conference this week, Josh is the fact that he said it's not worth it. He's been in this BOZI going up against other head coaches or other spots where he's been.
Speaker 3: A part of that organization before.
Speaker 6: He said he he's been a part of teams that have gone to Seattle, tried to do too much and then gotten his butt kicked.
Speaker 3: Same thing with New York. Yeah, same thing with some of those other stops.
Speaker 6: And he said he shared that message within the defensive room this week.
Speaker 3: Do you agree?
Speaker 6: Is this an opportunity for Matt Eberflus, coming off of a down game for his defense to say, let's not do too much.
Speaker 3: We got to get back to the basics.
Speaker 8: How could you not feel a little type of way about going into Chicago, the team that fired you after an embarrassing season, you know, in the middle of the season. Come on, man, of course, you're going to feel a little bit of that. But I think what Schottenheimer is saying is just stay focused. Just stay focused on the job at hand, the task at hand, and make sure your guys are ready to go. It's not necessarily about you. It's about your guys that are on the team. But we've seen it before, man, Like you know, McCarthy had a few matchups against Green Bay that did not go well for us. Obviously they had his number. It wasn't pretty. We've seen this a few instances of I mean specifically that division. But I'm saying, like this is just too critical of a game. This is probably one of the easiest games you'll play over the next few weeks.
Speaker 2: Of course you're were it easy?
Speaker 7: I mean when.
Speaker 8: You're looking at the schedule, that's what that's what you're getting.
Speaker 7: I know, it's a young season.
Speaker 3: I mean winnable. Yeah, let's not say easy. Let's say winnable.
Speaker 7: The more nothing's easy in this league. Yeah, winnable.
Speaker 2: Sunday was supposed to be easy, right, That's what I.
Speaker 7: Mean exactly exactly.
Speaker 8: So I just think there's a lot at stake here and you just have to be focused on the task at hand, That's where I'm at with this. Of course, the Refluce is going to feel a ways about it.
Speaker 9: What do you think, Tom, Yeah, I think naturally as a competitor, you know, when you when you have the three year stretch that Mattyberflues did in Chicago where really there was no continuity, nothing went right. I don't think the Bears did a good job hiring a staff around him in twenty twenty four, his last season. There You've got a rookie quarterbackers the number one overall pick, and you feel like you've done a really good job to surround him with weapons, but your offensive line isn't all that great and you give up the most sacks in the NFL history. You know, I think there is a part of a part of this that you know, Maddieberflus wants his get back in this game. But at the same time, Maddiberflus is a really even keeled guy. This is not a guy who gets too high or too low. And I think him coming back in Dallas is kind of just a big sigh relief because some guys, and I've talked about this on the show before, this isn't a shot at anybody's coaching acumen or what their ability to do is. But some guys just aren't made to be head coaches. And that's okay. You can be a very successful defensive coordinator and stick around a long time in this league. And I think that that's where Maddiberflus has had the most success over the course of his career in Indianapolis. He obviously did a good enough job to earn the head coaching job in Chicago, so I think he'll be even killed coming into this especially. I think what he's more focused on is, Man, we just gave up four hundred and fifty yards and Russell Wilson and the Giants. You know, how do we take that off of the board before we go to a big game like this? So I think that's really where the focus is. Of course, there's going to be a little part of him that, as a competitor, says, hey, you know, I want to I want to show him something here, right, I want to show him that they shouldn't have fired me, they shouldn't have let me go, they should have given me time because in the NFL, frankly, you know, you don't you don't have a lot of time as a head coach.
Speaker 7: If you're sad to himself, He's say, we get fired all the time. Yeah, it's just the way of the business.
Speaker 9: If you don't get things rolling in two three years, you know your seat starts to get hot, and and that's just how it rolls now.
Speaker 3: So you got to figure it out.
Speaker 6: With all of that being said, I think the same thing can be flipped on the other side, but it's in the early stages for Ben Johnson, right.
Speaker 3: Same thing. Some guys are not meant to be head coaches. They're great coordinators.
Speaker 6: The jury is still out for an zero and two Ben Johnson going into his third game, second game at home, he's trying to get his first win overall. And if there's anybody that is familiar with Callie plays against Matt eberflu So over the last couple of seasons, it would be a guy who played him in the division and was the offensive coordinator for the Lions going into that matchup.
Speaker 5: Right when it comes to you know, the emotional component of it. These these guys aren't robots, so they can say the right things, and we love to hear them say the right things.
Speaker 2: But to Josh's point, there there's.
Speaker 5: Going to be that that feeling that kind of starts still well up in you as the buses are approaching the stadium. Right as you walk onto the field and the other team's uniform, you're going to start to feel a little bit of that trauma you felt when you got pulled into the owner's office and you got the pink slip. That being said, it is of no consequence. It should be of no consequence to this game because it exists on both sides of the ball. So what you hope is that when you look at the Bear staff and they have guys like Al Harris, and they can have guys like Kennon Matthews, these guys who came over to Chicago from from Dallas, they hope that they let their emotions get in the way. But you need your coaches to stand pat and be as professional as possible. I'm of the mindset of when it comes to going back to a place that you want so desperately to prove that you were better and more valuable than they thought you were or gave you credit for, just handle your business as best as you need to get the win, and then then you take it in and say, yeah, now I showed you, but park that, park that until it's time to get back on the buses and get the hell out of town because you cannot afford to go into this game. And I love what Josh is intimating here. It would be selfish. And Mike McCarthy after the green Bay game, after the green Bay homecoming, he admitted and took accountability for that selfishness of over coaching because he wanted so desperately to get that win and what happened.
Speaker 2: Yes, they should have won that game. And then when that game you dropped them.
Speaker 5: I don't want to they want to talk, But what I'm saying is, don't over coach this based upon the emotional component. Take what you did wrong, which was a lot on defense if you're mad, evenflues.
Speaker 2: Take everything you did.
Speaker 5: Wrong and just key in on that and just focus on that. It shouldn't matter if you're playing, if you're in you know, the Bear Stadium, if you're in the Lion Stadium, doesn't matter this week where you are. What you should be focused on is the fact that Russ almost hung five hundred yards on you and that you narrowly escaped because of dak CD George Davante and Brandon Aubery. If not for those guys, it's a different conversation. So what you can't do is go in, be selfish, be emotional, try to over coach guys because you want this win so desperately, and then you fall to a team you should beat, and now you're one and two with Green Bay up next.
Speaker 2: Don't do it.
Speaker 8: You must be dangerous but in control. Looks like Piccolo of Dragon ball Z.
Speaker 9: Wow, that was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Wow, which one? But you could the green or the orange?
Speaker 7: Green?
Speaker 2: You don't even know about the orange? Taum, the orange is the villain?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 7: I thought that's the good question. That's mostly the oranges.
Speaker 2: The villain is all right, go ahead.
Speaker 9: So I'm just just looking back at the numbers, and you know, the last six matchups that Ben Johnson and Matti Brifluis's face have faced off agains, Yeah, play call callers. The Lions have scored thirty four, twenty three, thirteen.
Speaker 10: Hey there you go, Yeah, thirty one, forty one, thirty one again, so thirty or more, thirty or more points and one two three.
Speaker 9: Four of the six matchup.
Speaker 5: Here's where I would counter because facts are facts, right, But multiple things can be true at the same time. While all of that's true and most of that is ugly, the Bears don't have the artillery on offense that the Lions did when Ben Johnson was calling.
Speaker 7: It's true.
Speaker 6: They don't have a minors Saint Brown. They don't have Jared Goff playing at a high level. They don't have Jamier Gibbs or David Montgomery or any of those.
Speaker 2: They have a veteran the.
Speaker 9: Best offensive line in football.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh my god, do they have a veteran quarterback that has pocket awareness and read defenses. Yeah, you can easily panic Caleb Williams and get him off his spot and then it's, you know, Saxville's turnles you know.
Speaker 3: So it's happened quite a bit.
Speaker 5: So, yes, Ben Johnson owns the matchup in a very big way. But the artillery that he had in Detroit is not.
Speaker 9: Very different, very different, not existing.
Speaker 6: And when you look at the Bears in their first two games of the season, first team in NFL history to start a season against two teams that won fourteen or more games the year before. So they've had their tough spot of the season right up at the jump.
Speaker 9: Welcome to the NFL.
Speaker 6: But Lions were fifteen and two, the Vikings were fourteen and three last year, and they were able to go up against those two teams and you kind.
Speaker 3: Of got what you expected out of them.
Speaker 6: Look decent against the Lions, I mean, or excuse me, against the Vikings, kind of hung in there.
Speaker 3: Vikings are a tough Yeah. Vikings are a tough team to read right now.
Speaker 6: They always are, though, Yeah, and they looked like garbage on Sunday Night football man saying out that was one of the worst Sunday Night football games.
Speaker 2: Don't McCarthy We do.
Speaker 5: But he went down last year and then Sam Donald came out and have had an MVP caliber year.
Speaker 2: J J. McCarthy goes down again this year, You just don't know.
Speaker 8: And apparently they were going to bench him and then decided his body benched him.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So Carson Wentz, say Carson Wentz is starting there. Carson Wentz against Jake Browning and on I think it's Thursday.
Speaker 5: Quick clarifying point for Greg Hutchings. Uh, what I was saying was don't over coach. I'm not saying don't send guys and don't get after Kyle.
Speaker 7: Just don't coach at all.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is, don't.
Speaker 5: Guys to press because they so desperately want to get a win for your revenge attribute, Like that's That's not what I'm saying. Call your game, Scheme your game, execute your game, get the win, and then stand at midfield and you can put up as many middle fingers as you.
Speaker 2: Like at that point. But just to stay the course, keep the main thing, the main thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just to clean up that stat to that I had with the Bears playing against the Vikings and the line, can I give you k wise that.
Speaker 3: Of the day, let's do it? Is it time for that in there? But this is wild.
Speaker 6: Only four teams in NFL history have started a season against two opponents that have a higher combined previous season win percentage than the twenty twenty five Bears.
Speaker 3: Does that make sense?
Speaker 6: So out of the teams that they've played, the combined win percentage between the Vikings and the and the Lions from last year higher than all but four teams.
Speaker 3: You want to hear the.
Speaker 2: Four teams come on with it. This is wild.
Speaker 6: With nineteen twenty one the Rochester Jeffersons, you know that's a real team.
Speaker 9: They still talk about those guys.
Speaker 6: They were moving on up that years a real team. Also in nineteen twenty one, the Cincinnati Celts.
Speaker 3: What is a celt with a sea or is it a celt that's it is like Celtic. Okay, okay, cool, just making sure.
Speaker 6: Nineteen twenty seven, the Chicago Cardinals, the Chicago car Cardinals not the Bears.
Speaker 2: Who not the paint wow.
Speaker 6: And then finally also in nineteen twenty one, the Columbus Panhandles.
Speaker 3: Those are the four teams that had to hire.
Speaker 7: Someone for Ben Johnson.
Speaker 2: I can't get pod lords.
Speaker 9: You talk about a you know, a core four like that. I mean we still talk about those teams to this day. You know, Chester Jet for Rochester Jefferson's.
Speaker 3: Man, that's insane.
Speaker 6: There you go, k WI stat of the week here, the smartest one in the room. Now, just I challenge everybody that's watching or listening to this podcast, just try and work Rochester Jefferson's into your fantasy football conversation this week.
Speaker 7: Somehow that's my famous football name.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, maybe switch your name. I don't know, figure out if you will.
Speaker 9: And their schedule is not getting any easier. They've got Washington in a couple of weeks and they go to tow Baltimore. Then they go against Pittsburgh, Philly, Green Bay, Green Bay twice in three weeks with the Browns in the middle. So I guess there's a get right game San Francisco and then the end of the year with Detroit.
Speaker 8: So I got a friend that predicted ten wins for the Bears this year, and you know, I just.
Speaker 2: It's dumb predict they how do they get to ten?
Speaker 9: We got sixteen games left, fellas, sixteen weeks left, I should, says my friend.
Speaker 7: That I still I support him.
Speaker 9: Well, hope that I've got sixteen more weeks until I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: So why'd you admit I could? You could have just could?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Well now I look even better of them, right, so, uh, we'll see. I thought they would be much I thought they would be much better than they than they are right now. I thought they would be I thought I think they should be one and one. But they just completely let that game go away.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 3: They let that first game slip.
Speaker 2: They're about to be one and two, hope, So we'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when we.
Speaker 6: Come back, brother guy sticks you, sir, how do we get to that point if you're the Dallas Cowboys going into this Week three.
Speaker 3: Matchup against the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 6: We continue flipping the defense and the preview against clay Or Caleb Williams and.
Speaker 3: The Chicago Bears.
Speaker 6: It's a Wednesday, it's a defensive preview. We've got more talking cowboys after this.
Speaker 11: Love. Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise, and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 9: We're with you.
Speaker 11: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 3: We're with you.
Speaker 2: Where are you noted?
Speaker 6: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee today.
Speaker 2: How's it going. You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 3: I watched.
Speaker 2: I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent. You have some great talent, and they got some fight hoping. This is the year me too. Oh, I'm Cody.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'm Travis.
Speaker 2: Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go.
Speaker 5: Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 7: What would do like the power to do?
Speaker 5: Bank of America, the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Copyright twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 7: I'm home.
Speaker 9: Hey, mom, Before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 12: Hey can you?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 2: Hon?
Speaker 3: Yes, I've got the finale ready to play. Here's your wine? Wow? Isn't it nice not having to ask?
Speaker 2: We think so.
Speaker 13: That's why if there's a network interruption at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guaranteed credit for fiber downtime lasting twenty minutes and more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident Pac ten More Towers Strictions exclusions apply, att comp slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. This portion of the show is brought to you by Invisi Ligne, the official Smile.
Speaker 3: Of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Back with Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Tommy Yarish, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. In the break, we decided to look up what the Rochester Jefferson's jerseys look talking Jefferson's, I'm talking Jefferson higher.
Speaker 14: These are sweet fire. That's a sweet jersey. It just says Jeff's on with the long sleeve jersey. And then look at this, that's twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: Dak Prescott would be as five.
Speaker 2: Oh, I might have to come.
Speaker 9: I don't think they had those designs back in eighteen ninety eight, on those nineteen twenty one.
Speaker 5: But they also didn't have you know what, there are a lot of.
Speaker 2: Things they didn't have that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just thank you for stopping.
Speaker 2: I know, you know, and I'm thank you for.
Speaker 3: Stopping, all right.
Speaker 6: Secondary Woes is the title of the second segment. The Bears have some weapons, they have some speed.
Speaker 3: Josh, when you.
Speaker 6: Look at the film from the Bears in their first two weeks of the season, we talked about not having the same level of weapons that that Ben Johnson had in Detroit. But he doesn't have a shortage of him in Chicago.
Speaker 8: Either, No, not at all. Romadoons is a dude. Second year wide receiver, and Caleb Williams isn't doing a lot of great things. The one thing that he is doing really great is getting the ball to Romadoons.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I believe he already has two touchdowns already on the year. He arguably had a really great game against the Lions, even though that was a losing effort.
Speaker 7: I got fifty two points. Score on him.
Speaker 8: That's not the offense his fault necessarily, unless you're turning the ball over. But Romadunze is a dude. If Wandelle Robinson was any impression on you, if the Giants receiving corps as a whole scared you, you should be scared Romadoonze. I really think you need to watch out for him. You need to watch out for DJ more and as far as other weapons on the offense, go DeAndre Swift. I know we've talked about him a little bit. We were talking about him before the show. His north to south isn't great. But this guy is really fast.
Speaker 7: It's in his name.
Speaker 8: He's a swift, fast even past catching a receiver. When it comes to his threat that he gives you, that he provides on the offense, he's a fast guy. You need to account for him, especially if he's running on the outside. I think if you run him to the outside off of the right tackle and his name eludes me right now, I wrote it Darnell Right, Darnell Wright, who has a PFF grade of ninety. When it comes to his run blocking, it's pretty darn good, bud. But then again, PFF, I don't know if they're watching the film necessarily because the right side doesn't look great. Necessarily, when it comes to past blocking, he has an eighty. So take that what you will. Deondershift, you have to count for. But roma Dunze for me, is like the glowing light. You need to account for that dude all day, every day.
Speaker 2: And he is.
Speaker 5: He has three receiving touchdowns through the first two games. He's averaging twelve point seven yards of reception when he brings that ball in. Unfortunately for the Bears and fortunately hopefully for the Cowboys Caleb Williams again, he can get knocked off of his spot easily. He can get panicked easily. You have to just make sure you rattle him to keep him from being able to get the ball. To guys like a Doonza and more, those are going to be your top two targets that you need to circle if you're Matt Eberflus. As far as DeAndre Swift, I know that guy quite well for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: Go dogs.
Speaker 7: You can't say, oh, he beat you too.
Speaker 2: He did, Go dogs.
Speaker 5: And the thing about DeAndre Swift, and we were having this conversation before the pot went live, is that DeAndre Swift is being asked to do something that is not natural to him in Chicago, and that works in the Cowboys favor. You mentioned that, Josh, very very accurately. He DeAndre Swift is great in space. He's great, you know, bouncing to the outside. He's not great at doing the dirty work in the heavy lifting. That's why one of the reasons he excelled at Georgia was because he had the compliment of Nick Chubb the heavy lifter. Okay, he's pretty darn good. He's pretty darn good. DeAndre Swift, however, in Chicago, is being asked to be that heavy lifter. He is the he's their guy, he's their guy, so that being unnatural for him going up against a defensive tackles room. And I've been waiting a long time to say this, so I get to say it. One of the best defensive tackle rotations in the NFL. Kenny Clark, Oh So, Diggie Zuoa, Solomon Thomas, I just said, you're not talking about the Dallas I am talking about that about the Dallas Cowboys. Yes, so you have one of the it it felt good to say, taste it, taste the air.
Speaker 2: It tasted good.
Speaker 5: And it's a fact. It's It's inarguable to me. Solomon Thomas is in demon mold right now. Olso, Diggi zuo way, we know what he does and Kenny Clark, rumors of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. Okay, So those three guys up against DeAndre Swift in those A and B gaps doing the heavy lifting, something that he doesn't like to do anyway, advantage Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Can I ask you one of my impossible questions. Yes, can you rank the way that those three guys have played so far Solomon, Thomas, Osa, Diggizu and I want you to rank him top three because I have an order of through.
Speaker 2: Through the first two games.
Speaker 5: God, Kenny, Kenny took game one, Sally took Game two. Osa has been it's being both. Yeah, he's been Osa. I'm going to go. I know what he did get to say.
Speaker 2: It's it's Kenny, It's Kenny, Kenny Solomon.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what it should be.
Speaker 9: I would argue that was not I would argue it's Kenny Solomon.
Speaker 3: That's where I was headed. And it's not anything against But.
Speaker 8: That speaks to how well that's Solomon's playing, the snaps that he has that drive. What was it against the Giants last week? Absolutely shut it down after three consecutive plays which Alex Lily absolutely killed on the sideline. It was a perfect sequence of events that he edited perfectly.
Speaker 7: Shouts to you, buddy with the brad sham called.
Speaker 2: Don't play with me.
Speaker 8: It was greemon to please watch some from the Priority have but that drive for me worth that that sequence?
Speaker 7: Come on, man, what are we doing.
Speaker 6: That was my point though, is all three of those guys have played exceptionally well to this point. And when you look at the film and you go back and I think there's an argument.
Speaker 3: To be had about all three orders.
Speaker 6: You can order all three of those guys however you want, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: Which is great.
Speaker 6: But when I'm looking at it, I'm like, man, Kenny Clark makes an incredible impact, But Solomon Thomas is a dog. He's playing some of maybe ever and and maybe it's because he's coming back home.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's because he fits in the system. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 7: I've been coaching. I'm thinking a little bit.
Speaker 5: I think it's those two things. In addition to the fact that he's playing rotationally behind Osa. He gets to stay rested just like OSA gets to stay rested. They're playing off of each other. Which was why we on Talking Cowboys See Talking Cowboys, we seeball no Ball. We said that Solomon Thomas had THEOS had the potential to be one of the best free agent signings this offseason boys. Because of this reason, he and also get the playoff of each other. And that was before they threw Kenny Clark into the mix. So now those three guys just get to play off.
Speaker 6: Of really fun to watch. It's so refreshing. You have no idea every Actually, you guys, you know you do.
Speaker 7: Have an idea.
Speaker 3: You do have an idea.
Speaker 6: How refreshing it is to watch good defensive tackle film after years of not good defensive tackle film. I mean since I joined the team in twenty nineteen, watching it over and over and over again, and then going through draft prospects over and over and over again, trying to find interior defensive lineman to.
Speaker 3: Fix the problem. And now you get to watch it and say, wow, these guys are good. It's really it's a game change.
Speaker 7: And now I'm matching a pass rush on top of that.
Speaker 3: I know, let's get to that.
Speaker 6: How do you have the pass rush against a guy like Caleb Williams?
Speaker 3: How do you get there?
Speaker 7: One?
Speaker 6: Jadavian Clooning actually possibly save this for the third segment. I do want to talk about the secondary though, because as much as we're giving flowers to the front seven and to the interior defensive line, the secondary was rough.
Speaker 3: Where do they need to take a.
Speaker 6: Big step forward going into this matchup against the Bears and their way.
Speaker 3: That's Tommy.
Speaker 9: You know. I think that we talked about.
Speaker 2: Segment to.
Speaker 3: This is segment two.
Speaker 2: All we did this is stiled. We smiled. Okay, never mind, it's one of those days.
Speaker 9: I'm going to make one quick point on the running game, just because, yes, DeAndre Swift is better on the outside, and if you can work him inside the tackles, I think they'll have success against the run. But uh, we talk about Caleb Williams and the pocket collapsing on him and him kind of getting out of there. He's done a much better job this year in comparison to his rookie year of turning up field and getting yardage with his legs. I think he did that really well at USC and it's what made him super special. So he's going to be a threat to turn upfield and run on you too. Kind Of similar, I'll say similar, but they're not the same player to what Jalen Hurts was with the Eagles in Week one, where he had success running the football when he got outside the pocket. Additionally, Williams on the run, the way that he's able to contort his body and rifle passes downfield is very special. You're not going to see a lot of quarterbacks that can get outside the pocket and throw the ball at the angle that he does in the way that he is able to maneuver his body. Sometimes it hurts him and he ends up making bad plays and bad decisions of it. But he's also going to make some throws that just have you saying wow too, So you kind of have to balance that. And in terms of their weapons, I think they have a lot of them, you know, you look at that. We talked a lot about Romo Dunesey, the former number nine overall pick. He's really good at Washington. I think he's really settling into the NFL now. I think he was kind of up and down last year for them, still fairly consistent, but this year it seems like he is really stepping into the role that Chicago wanted him to. You still got DJ Moore, who they're trying to use in a lot of different ways in motion. He's taking some snaps as a running back for Chicago through the first two weeks, and then they want to be the best twelve personnel team in the league. They're still getting there. There's still a lot of work to be done, but They've got Cole Committ Whoys signed to a long term deal a couple of years ago, and then they use the number ten overall pick on Colston Lovelin, so they have weapons. They have guys that can get out there. Not to mention Luther Burden on the second round pick out of Missouri, who a lot of people had as a pretty high wide receiver on their draft boards, but they, interestingly enough, have not been playing him very much, so well that might just be a hey, this guy still needs to develop. But yeah, Chicago has guys that can go and get the football. I think, you know, if you look at them compared to the Giants, they don't have them E league neighbors, but I think their overall receiving cores is better than what New York has. And so you've got to be sounding what you're doing, and you've got to make sure that you know you're you're protecting the seams, which they didn't do a good job of last week. And you just got to hope that Caleb Williams is inconsistent with his deep.
Speaker 6: Ball and Doonzay has had multiple touchdowns already. Right game tied for the league in the NFL I yeah, kind of good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know what Isaiah would be saying. If he was, he would be like you du boys represent Yeah.
Speaker 5: What the Cowboys secondary needs first and foremost is to make sure that they're clean on their keys and understanding their assignments and the underside the assignments of everyone around them. What I saw far too often against the Giants was miscommunication. I saw guys out of place. I saw guys pre snap and in real time during the snap trying to figure out and communicate as the ball is in the air, whose guy is this right? You see guys running around when the ball is in the air and they're pointing, and after the fact there's a lot of shrugging and there's frustrations.
Speaker 2: That tells me there's still a lot.
Speaker 5: Of refinement to be done as far as this unit understanding what Eberflus's scheme is expecting of them. I saw times where Malie Hooker was a little bit too shallow in his depth and what did that do? That caused Donovan Wilson to float too deeply? And Donovan Wilson does not excel in coverage. He excels plane forward and near the line of scrimmage. He's a box safety. Treyvon Diggs was out of position a couple of times. So first and foremost, get the communication aspect down.
Speaker 2: Make sure you understand your key. I understand my key.
Speaker 5: You understand your key, you understand yours, and things will will handle themselves from that point forward. But also, and it seems as if Eberflus is hell bent because of his tendency to stick with zone is his primary. That's the case. You're going to have to get home with four. You have to get home with four. Caleb Williams, Tommy makes an excellent point. He will get outside of the pocket. He will do some damage with his legs. But going back to his days at UIs see he makes some throws on the run cross body contory is just like you should not be able to do that, and that ball be accurate and that deep downfield, and yet it happens. So you need to make sure that you keep contained, keep him in the pocket, which you can then force him upward, force him vertical. When you force h vertical with his legs, guess who's waiting for him? We just said the three names Kenny Clark, OsO, Diggy Zuwa and Solomon Thomas. Force him to deal with those animals up front, do not let him get outside the edges. So this game, if you really want to help your secondary outside of them refining their communication, making sure they understand their assignments, let your front for help. This is going to be big on Sam Williams. This is going to be big on Jadaveon Clowney. If jadave Yon plays this game, this is going to be big on Azraku. Dante Foller is going to have to have a bounce back game here. But Josh said something real quickly, and I'll throw it to Josh as analou. Josh mentioned because for all of the rightful talk about Jadavion Clowney's ability to rush the passer, that's a given.
Speaker 2: What slept on is his ability to defend the run.
Speaker 5: Okay, I mentioned this and the impact piece I roll on Jadeveon Clowney on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: Make sure you check out that piece. It's available.
Speaker 5: Clowney had six run stuffs for the Packer Panthers last year and that was good enough to tie him for second most in Carolina, and that matched Michaeh Parson's number of run stuffs in that same category, although it was on roughly fewer fifty fewer defensive snaps than Michaeh had last year and or only two fewer than the eight run stuffs that Osa had last year for the Cowboys. So I sell of that to say yesterday, ViOn Clowney is a situational pass rusher. He can get after guys as long as he as long as he keeps going forward. But he's also above average at stopping the run.
Speaker 6: Also, And I know you lobbed it to Josh, and I want Josh to answer on the other side of the break because we are going to talk about this front seven and how they can get home against the Chicago offensive line. More talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 7: I'm home.
Speaker 9: Hey, Mom, before you ask, I've done my homework and the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 7: Nice.
Speaker 3: Hey, can you ayhan? Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 2: Here's your wine.
Speaker 3: Wow? Isn't it nice not having to ask?
Speaker 2: We think so.
Speaker 13: That's why if there's a network interruption at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fib or downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident impact in ten more towers. The strictions in exclusions apply at dot com slash Guarantee for details.
Speaker 6: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you.
Speaker 6: Dear Doctor? My friend supported me during a tough time. But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier.
Speaker 4: To cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good. Better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Jack Black Playmaker is four.
Speaker 6: Of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the maker at get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vi i P. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vi i P the Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. I got our comments of the day. Let's go comment of the day alan Z He said, tell me you guys saw the video of No C giving Jadavian Clowney a handshake. It was literally the key and peel sketch of a bomb. Oh yeah, I saw killing It was a huge dap up. You know, and then hey, there I was going, I didn't need to everybody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was organic in real time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, no, it really was.
Speaker 5: But then after the fact, I kept wondering why people were sending me that Key and p Y and p O Giff, and I was like, why did they keep sending this? So I went back and I watched it, and now I can't unsee it. Yeah, now I can't unsee it.
Speaker 3: Ma Pat posted the video.
Speaker 5: I was cracking up laugh I do because because of you guys, my Twitter followers kept pointing out. I was just like, it's burning my brain now because it's yeah, that's exactly how it went.
Speaker 8: I would be the guy in the situation to like bow unnecessarily, you know what.
Speaker 5: I mean, A Curtsey Curtsey Joshua, Kurtzy.
Speaker 3: Josh You have a photo you want to show with the class.
Speaker 8: Cur Oh yeah, this is the nineteen twenty or sorry, nineteen oh nine Rochester Jefferson's.
Speaker 3: This is looking up in the break. This is about the Rochester Jeffers.
Speaker 8: This little dude right here was like their their right tackle. So imagine him going up against one. You know, did they even.
Speaker 3: Anybody we won?
Speaker 7: Anyone those guys just ran sweeps all day. Shots at them.
Speaker 6: John Marsha full back for the nineteen twenty one they.
Speaker 7: Jefferson's fourteen fullbacks on the roster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know this, of course, that's all they played.
Speaker 2: I mean everyone in the picture is the same guy.
Speaker 7: They had fourteen tight ends.
Speaker 5: Four Oh, everybody was playing three ways, two way, these four ways.
Speaker 2: The kicker was the quarterbay.
Speaker 7: They only had slot receivers for some reason.
Speaker 3: And then once their career was over, they went back to being attorneys. That's what happened.
Speaker 9: You don't think they were incorporating the r P O s into their.
Speaker 3: No RPO monern style.
Speaker 2: Oh how many attorneys were in there?
Speaker 12: What you was?
Speaker 2: This? Was this the Industrial Revolution? I think they went back to this.
Speaker 3: Speak back to talking history.
Speaker 2: I think this was the Industrial Revolution.
Speaker 5: I think they went back to you know, good old fashioned blue collar color.
Speaker 7: We can do it.
Speaker 6: I just looked one up and he said he was an attorney, So that's always just that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know what else they did so they could sue the other team.
Speaker 6: Rochester Jefferson's Welcome back to talking Jefferson's Here on a wonderful.
Speaker 3: Wednesday, All right.
Speaker 7: You know who that team could have used.
Speaker 3: Who's that mar You know what team could use Marius Leaf right now?
Speaker 7: Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit more of him?
Speaker 7: Yes, And I am calling on the Dallas Cowy.
Speaker 2: I saw Jack Samborn and I think probably.
Speaker 7: I'm calling on the Dallas Cowboys. I'm calling on Matt Everflu's too you use use used.
Speaker 8: One Maris leafoul on every possible snap that you have against one Caleber. Honestly throw him on offense like I would love to, like, just just give him.
Speaker 3: Now we're going too far.
Speaker 8: Please, please incorporate Mary's lefoul in this defensive somehow?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 6: Is that the key to getting pressure and keeping Caleb Williams contained, because that's the biggest ladder.
Speaker 7: It is the ladder. It is keeping Caleb Williams. And check I think it is. I say spy all the time.
Speaker 2: I spy.
Speaker 7: I'm saying it here. I'm saying it here.
Speaker 8: And even if just the threat of him being athletic enough to catch up to a Caleb Williams, just the threat of it gives you an opportunity here.
Speaker 3: You don't have Demo. I know, I wish, I wish, But he's probably closest to.
Speaker 7: Out of that than a lot of people. See one.
Speaker 8: Tommy Ark wrote a nice article about tomorrow, an over showing now available in doskcowoys dot com.
Speaker 3: What was it about, Tommy?
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's he was upstairs doing a United Healthcare charity thing where he's you know, a good human, Yeah, a really good guy man. He's making these these care packages for families in Central Texas that were affected by the recent flooding. We were able to talk a little bit about that, and you know how he looks at Also, diggi Zoo is a guy that inspires him to do more and he wants to win a Walter Payton Man of the Year award one day. And I got to a little bit of football too. He says he's feeling good getting there was the word. He using the recovery process. Wants to be back before Thanksgiving. Obviously it's not necessarily his choice. It's the training staff and the coaching staff's choice. But seems to be doing well. Every time we've seen him out there, he looks like he's doing more and more and he's running around so good signs pointing in the right direction for mister overshowing but it'll still be a while.
Speaker 7: So in the meantime he used Mary's leafel.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And you know, I think the interesting thing about Marius Leafhol is you know, you think about Matt Eberflus and he is the one of the biggest descendants from the rotten Marinelli tree. Right, So a lot of Tampa two, you're going to send pressure with four and you're not going to blitz very often. He's not a guy who I think he blitzed a little bit more week two than he did Week one, and then took him until the second half really in week one to start sending those blitzes. But you know, I would have be shocked if we don't see a lot of Marisley if I again this week. Is that the right answer? You can argue most yourselves about that. But I think he's going to rely on his front four guys to get home, and if they want to get home, Chicago's vulnerable in their tackles. You got the left tackle Braxton Jones, who has twelve quarterback pressures already this year. He's given up two sacks. And then Darnell Wright, the veteran, I'll say veteran. He was the number nine overall pick a couple of years ago, but he's got seven quarterback pressures. He's actually the lowest on the team. But I think that right side of the offensive line, really Jonah Jackson and Darnell Wright, is where you can win in getting home in the pass rush. And Dallas's pass rush has struggled to start. This is a great opportunity for them to get there. So that right side, and then if you get around Braxton Jones, I think you'll have some success.
Speaker 8: One thing that has been abundant clear when watching the Chicago Bears that is that the offensive line is poor in communication. They've had bad communication so far this year. It's a young season, I understand, but the false starts are a problem getting into those first and long, second and long situations when your offensive line just isn't clicking. There's no chemistry as far as I'm concerned so far, and you could argue this isn't a get right game for the Chicago Bears offensive line. But if that trend continues, it's going to be a rough season for Calla Williams yet again, a guy that was sacked sixty plus times last year. I really think the Dallas coups have an opportunity to get this offensive line, Like you're saying, seat.
Speaker 6: I thought that was the case last week as well, though against the Giants offensive line that was struggling with a left tackle. We saw that in the first drive. And what happened there with James Hudson.
Speaker 7: Well, you got a different piece. This file possible.
Speaker 9: It's a little bit came out real quick.
Speaker 3: He did not last after that one drive.
Speaker 6: But when when I'm looking at the Chicago offensive line, it's a lot of the same as the communication issues. It's the the staleness upfront is kind of the way I put some punch to him. Yeah, whenever he came to the Giants, and it's the same thing with the Bears. There's just no real significance there.
Speaker 9: I would argue there's a little bit of punch. I think Joe Tune's a really good player still. Drew Dolmens had kind of a rough start, but I think he's a good center too, and that for the most part, right he's up and down. He's a better run block. He's kind of like really good rints that he's a really good run paver.
Speaker 3: But' been that way since he was a ten Tennessee.
Speaker 9: Right, You're absolutely right, and then Jonah Jackson is just you know, I'm not just I'm just not a huge fan of the player. I'm not trying to take any shots or anything like that, but I think he's a guy where you can get pressure on. But at the same time, I think Dallas's pass rush is not near the level of past Russ that the Bears have faced the first two weeks. They might be looking at this game like, finally, you know, I mean, we had Aiden Hutchinson last week and and Zadarius Smith on the other side, and then week one you've got Dallas Turner and Brian Flores a really good job of scheming pressure and one of the biggest blitzers in the NFL. So they might be looking at this game like, oh, all right, we might be able to settle down a little bit here. But this is almost an entirely new unit. You know, those interior three in Jackson, Dolmen, and Thuny. This is their first year playing together. They were not playing together last year because Chicago's offensive line was terrible, so they went out and invested in it. You don't think they're terrible, now, no, no, no, Well, work in progress. I'll say this, the bar is so low compared to last year. I mean, Kayle Williams was sacked sixty seven times. That is unfathomable. So that there, you can't not be better, right, And I think they have gotten off to a better start. I'm not saying they're the best offensive line in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is nearly impossible to be.
Speaker 9: No, I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying it is nearly impossible to be worse than they were last year.
Speaker 8: But not a market enough improvement over last year yet, correct, branded it's early.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 6: They've allowed six sacks two in Week one for last week, so they are susceptible. And hey, if that trend continues, then Dallas is due for six sacs going into it three.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna happen. Right.
Speaker 5: My reservation there is we we had the same energy talking about the Giants exactly what I was saying. Yeah, the Giants offensive line. So until you see it, it's a league. It's a week to week league, right, And you hope, as the Cowboys, you hope that the Bears offensive line doesn't figure out how to start blocking this week, much like the Giants offensive line figured out how to start blocking on Sunday except for the left tackle, except for the left town Oh Hudson, my god. That being said, going here and stop, and hopefully the Cowboys are not going into this situation looking at the opponent as we're playing the Bears. No, no, no, you need to treat this like you're playing the Packers. Treat it like you're playing the Eagles. Treat it like you're playing one of these NFC contenders. That's what you need to treat it like.
Speaker 3: I think they will.
Speaker 6: I think I think the whole conversation that we had at the beginning of the show, when it's like play within yourself, don't go too much.
Speaker 3: You know, these guys, if they.
Speaker 6: Really truly ride for Matti Eberflus, you know they're gonna want to do something in this game.
Speaker 3: You know they're gonna want to make some level of impact.
Speaker 6: And it's only the third time, by the way, that a first round quarterback will face a defensive coordinator that drafted him as a head coach in the National Football League. It's only the third time that's ever happened since the merger. Anyways, Rex Grossman played against his former head coach, and then at that point DC in two thousand and four he won that game. And then in twenty nineteen Baker Mayfield played against Greg Williams, who drafted him in Cleveland. So kind of an interesting one two there, But it's only the third time that it'll happen.
Speaker 9: Two Bears quarterbacks and Grossman and Kayleb Williams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good point.
Speaker 6: All right, that's gonna do it for us here on. Talking Cowboys will be back tomorrow. We are going to preview the Dallas offense against that Chicago Bears defense that might be the deciding fact and how this game goes going into Sunday in Week three three twenty five. Kickoff Ron Fox for Patrick Nosey Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Tommy Arish, Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 3: I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys. We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.