Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 4: Good morning, and welcome to Counterpoints. Some difficulty traveling around Washington today has Emily and I broadcasting from home today. Emily, how is it in your neck of the city.
Speaker 5: Well, DC doesn't handle snow very well, so it's about as you would expect. But it was a really beautiful, like sticky snow, so that's the benefit.
Speaker 3: Indeed, they're a little bit of potential rank coming.
Speaker 4: Otherwise, looking forward to some possible sledding after this.
Speaker 6: Good luck with that, because it's going to freeze up quickly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, get's gonna get ugly.
Speaker 4: But anyway, we're so we're going to We're gonna start, of course with Trump and Elon Musk holding a press conference with his boy from the Oval Office. We're going to move from there into the looming collapse of the ceasefire with net Yahoo and Trump threatening to end that and let you know, bring all hell back to Gaza in an effort to ethnically cleanse the strip and redevelop it into condos and produce a riviera of the Middle East. We're also speaking of this rather blunt real politic. We'll also talk about Donald Trump saying that he has told the Ukrainians that he wants to be paid back for the US investment in their war effort to the tune of five hundred billion dollars in rare earth minerals, and that they can reach a deal with Russia or not reach a deal with Russia. It's kind of he doesn't really care. Meanwhile, Zelenski himself has kind of floated some some land for land.
Speaker 3: Peace proposal that could be could be a step forward. Tulci Gabbard was supposed.
Speaker 4: To be confirmed last night in the United States Senate, but because of the inclement weather here they decided to postpone that until this morning. But she probably by the time you're watching this, she may have gotten through and will be the Director of National Intelligence. Barring some serious surprise. And then Emily, you were able to bring in a couple of guests today, both of whom I think are going to be interesting. One of them, you're doing a newsletter with am I.
Speaker 3: Am I right about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we have two guests today. The second guest is soa Aba Marii's my colleague got Unheard. We did launch a newsletter called a new newsletter called Area forty seven a couple of weeks ago, so you can go to Unheard and look for Area forty seven subscribe and.
Speaker 3: We could put that in the notes here too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's good, like scoopy little details from inside Trump World.
Speaker 6: So we're working on that.
Speaker 5: But Sorod is joining us today to talk about a really, really interesting story he wrote from the perspective of somebody on the right about the era of Elon Musk and Mago World embracing Elon Musk and the various pitfalls that people don't.
Speaker 6: Seem to want to acknowledge.
Speaker 5: So we are happy to have him here so he can talk to us about that. The first guest that will be on the show is Lindsey Burke, who wrote the Project twenty twenty five chapter on scaling down the Department of Education dramatically, which just as we're coming here to discuss in this morning show is some of the biggest news in DC. Those plans are preceding apace. So it's a very timely conversation we will get to have with Lindsey. A lot of her ideas are going to likely be implemented in the next few I mean with Elon, you could say the next few hours honestly, but certainly the next Yeah.
Speaker 3: And they started last night.
Speaker 4: They were, you know, sounds like they were rifling through contracts at the sixth floor of the Department of Education and canceled I think eighty nine of them worth nearly a billion dollars. That's on top of another rough one hundred million dollars in like DEI contracts they've canceled, And they're signaling that the plan is to you know, fully destroy the Department of Education.
Speaker 3: And so I'm looking forward to hearing.
Speaker 4: From the author of the this this project twenty five five, which you know, the Trump campaign consistently told us had nothing to do with what he intended to do, which although would you consistently warned people, no, this is what they're going to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's yeah, Well, we'll talk about it with Lindsay. But how can you when someone puts, you know, years of time into building out a blueprint for you know, reform or distruction, not to let.
Speaker 3: That work go to waste?
Speaker 6: Right, yeah, right, So.
Speaker 5: We will make sure to talk to Lindsay about all of that and big show. So we might as well dive in right here with our a block, which is all about the Oval Office conversation that Donald Trump and Elon Musk had with reporters late yesterday. We have this clip here. I'm going to share my screens that you can watch. This is Trump. Actually I forgot one of the participants and this was a little Axe and you'll see if you're watching this, you're going to see little ax on Elon Musk's shoulders.
Speaker 6: He is a very cute kid.
Speaker 5: I don't think Grimes was particularly.
Speaker 6: Happy that he was there, though.
Speaker 5: So we'll roll this clip and you can see Donald Trump talking about all kinds of different things and.
Speaker 7: Some of the things that we found, which you're shocking, billions and billions of dollars in waste, fraud and abuse, and I think it's very important and that's one of the reasons I got elected. I say, we're going to do that. Nobody had any idea it was that bad, that's sick, and that corrupt. And it seems hard to believe that judges want to try and stop us from looking for corruption, especially when we found hundreds of millions of dollars worth much more than that in just a short period of time, and we want to weed out the corruption. And it seems hard to believe that a judge could say, we don't want you to do that. Well, so maybe we have to look at the judges because that's very serious. I think it's a very serious violation.
Speaker 5: So that's Donald Trump going in on the federal judge. Obviously, there's a decent amount of debate right now on the right about whether Donald Trump should challenge or just disobey orders from the judiciary. And Trump yesterday said something that you just heard it there, but some people interpreted him saying, right, I don't know if you caught this. At one point he said basically like, we'll follow the judge, but we'll appeal. In this broader discussion that like the context that he just gave could be interpreted a little bit differently.
Speaker 6: Than that too.
Speaker 5: Maybe they want to impeach the judge, which is a thing I believe you can do to the Senate. So sort of an interesting moment there with Trump.
Speaker 4: Yeah, impeaching a judge over a over a issuing a stay would be just an incredible break from two hundred plus years of how we've been doing to me. The level of dishonesty that's that's flowing from Trump in those comments is rather startling. He's not doing an audit, He's not just no, no, No judge would stop an executive, a Treasury department, anybody from going through your spending, categorizing it and trying to figure out whether there's waste, fraud, or abuse. No judge would ever stop that. What happened here is that they were sued because they were accused of giving this guy what's his name LS, one of one of Elon Musk's DOJ officials read and write access to the Treasury Department's most sensitive data. They initially denied that they had done, so the judge issue a stay, like okay, stop, Like, you can't be given this guy all of this information right now. You need to come forward with a with a more reasonable plan that is within statutory guidelines because there are laws around the safe access and holding of federal records. We now know from the federal governments, from Elon Musk and Trump's own filings, that they did actually give this guy right access, the read and write access. So they're now saying that they're doing an examination to figure out whether or not he actually did anything with that. But he also had it on his own personal on his own laptop that he was using. So this this hacker kid had the ability to change the code inside the Treasury Department on his laptop. They're saying they don't think he did anything with that, I guess, but they already said that he didn't have that access, So now they've changed that story. So for a judge to come in and say, look, this is on hold until what's Trump Trump's famous phrase, until we figure out what's going on, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: We figure out what the hell is going on?
Speaker 4: Is not saying that you cannot audit federal spending, that you cannot hunt for fraud, and the other the other layer of dishonesty here is this like this kind of all shucks, like I can't believe what we found, Like I'm glad that you know, ninety percent of the stuff that they're shutting down in USA ideas being shut down when it comes to, you know, trying to intervene in foreign countries and basically being a vehicle for kind of the US intelligence and US military, Like, okay, you won't go the go after that if you want to go after that. But like this, this like pretense that they're stunned by what they're finding, like they I find I find that part difficult to believe, Like we all this was all publicly known stuff, right.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's absolutely true.
Speaker 5: Now, Elon obviously got a lot of questions, as people can imagine. Some questions are ones that it's been he actually this is interesting. He actually really has not talked to the press a lot, as he's been like taking on the government, wildly taking on the government, and he finally actually did some Q and A. And I think it is actually pretty important to get some of these questions in front of him. So let's take a look at one of these moments with Elon to share the screen again just so that we can see what he how he responded to some of these very important questions.
Speaker 8: That may say it seems like, well, we need a democracy. Well, if you don't have a feedback loop, apax, we would.
Speaker 4: Have to if you.
Speaker 8: Sorry, tell you, gravitas can be difficult sometimes. So if there's not a good feedback loop from the people to the government, and if you have the rule of the bureaucrat, if the bureaucracy is in charge, and what meaning does democracy actually have?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: I want to say, Actually, something interesting here is that he is trying to become the bureaucracy. Like it's kind of interesting to hear that from him, because he's also like he's a special government employee. And bureaucracy is bureaucracy. It's not it doesn't change just because it's a conservative bureaucracy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he's a bureaucrat, Like that is that, that is what he is. And you know what he is saying is he is he is the proper bureaucrat, That he is the one that because he's there with Trump and people elected, that he should be able to carry out the mission that people elected Trump to carry out. I have an enormous amount of sympathy for that that general idea that like people should be able to you know, vote for candidates, and those candidates should be able to enact policy. Obviously there have to be, you know. So the problem here is that that's not the system we have. I kind of wish we did have that system, but we don't. What he's describing really as a parliamentary system where you would elect the kind of the Maga party and they would have a majority in Parliament, and that they would appoint Trump to be Prime minister and then they would be able to carry out their agenda until there was a new election called. What we have is a system where we elect members of Congress, and we separately elect a president, and the members of Congress enact laws that the president either signs or vetos, and if the president signs those laws, they're in place even after that president leaves office. The laws don't go away when the president leaves office, and the congressional spending bills that have been enacted do not go away. That's why on March fourteenth, we will have a government shut down if Congress does not agree to a new spending package and keep that going. What Musk is sort of suggesting here is that that shouldn't be the way it works. That the people elected Donald Trump and Donald Trump will decide, you know, how how the government operates fully you know who you know, which programs get funded, which programs don't get funded, and that March fourteenth, whatever, you know, whatever Congress does or doesn't do, you know, the government stays open.
Speaker 3: That is a.
Speaker 4: System like that, and I think that there's real virtue in a system like that that would actually, I think be more democratic.
Speaker 3: In this.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, though, is Congress democratic like? Is it part of a democracy or a democratic republic to have these two chambers where you know, every two years in the House, candidates present ideas that they're going to enact when they're in Congress, and then you fight them out and then seven hundred thousand people or so go and vote for that person to be their representative in Washington, and and that chamber passes laws and then the Senate passes its laws.
Speaker 3: Like that, that's the system we have.
Speaker 4: And he doesn't like it because it's you know, it's it's harder to just go in and just straight up do stuff.
Speaker 3: Because if you want to get rid of the Department of Education.
Speaker 4: For instance, you have to pass a law that it repeals the Department of Education, and he doesn't want to do that. As you know, that's what foiled Reagan because Reagan had Democrats and yeah, in controlling Congress at the time.
Speaker 6: Well, this is.
Speaker 5: The central argument among people like Russ vote and he actually Rust wrote a long essay about this in The American Mind in September of twenty twenty two. They during the Tea Party years, you'll probably remember Ryan, one of the big sources.
Speaker 4: Is oh Trump's omb director, so right man, right at the center of this revolution, right.
Speaker 5: And well, so that during the Tea Party years, one of the biggest sources of opposition to Barack Obama was that he was becoming an imperial president, that he was really expanding the powers of the executive. Russ disagrees with that common conservative critique and says, actually, the reason that we have this jumbled checks and balance off like, why is that off kilter? Well, it's because the executive has let a lot of his power over these agencies atrophy over the course of years, so that we've built up layers and layers and layers of bureaucracy. And this is something that Elon Musk like definitely is buying into. It is something that Don from himself is definitely buying into and Chad into. Where did you get that?
Speaker 4: Is my wife's mug amazing, although she didn't even end up voting for in the end, but anyone got.
Speaker 5: You just added her. I've got a great Wisconsin mug actually right now. But anyway, that's the theory is that actually the executive needs to be much more muscular and flex over these executive agencies so that what you don't have is career bureaucrats or people who've come through the revolving door, which is a real problem actually even for the left. You and I have talked about how that happens at the EPA, where you have, as one of many examples, you have people who came from energy companies and exon ending up in these jobs and making decisions that they weren't elected to make that are helpful to their former employees. So all of that there is a real argument, but it is from the conservative perspective sort of interesting because there is the split over whether the executive is too powerful or not powerful enough, and clearly that's the position that Musk and everyone in the Trump administration is on the same page with. Now, it's just really different from where it was ten years ago, so we have more and this time, actually Elon Musk was answering. I thought this was these were some of the most useful questions. He's answering questions here about potential conflicts of interest, which is actually great to have him get on the record answer these questions.
Speaker 6: So here we go with Elon on.
Speaker 9: That if you have received billions of dollars in contracts from the Pentagon and the President's directing you to look into the Department of Defense.
Speaker 8: Is exactly definitely need to do and are going to do at the President's request.
Speaker 9: Does that present a conflict of interest for you?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 8: No, because you'd have to look at the individual contract and say, first of all, I'm not the one, you know, filing the contract.
Speaker 3: It's people at SpaceX or someone wild good will be putting flee contract.
Speaker 8: And I'd like to say, if you see any contract where the where it was ordered to SpaceX and it wasn't by far the best value for money for the taxpayer, let me know, because every one of them was.
Speaker 5: That may well be true, let's take but it doesn't really eliminate the question of conflicts of interest. Sort of a non sequorder there. Let's listen to his other answer on this topic.
Speaker 9: The White House says that you will identify and excuse yourself from any conflicts of interest that you may have. Does that mean that you are in effect policing yourself. What are the checks and balances that are in place to ensure that there's accountability and transparency.
Speaker 8: Well, we actually are trying to be as transparent as possible. In fact, our actions we post our actions to the DOGE handle on X and to the DOGE website, so all of our actions are maximally transparent. In fact, I don't think there's been I don't know of a case that we're at organization's being more transparent than the DOGE organization.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he says there won't be a conflict of interests because SpaceX is the best and also that he's not the one putting in the requests, it's his employees who are doing so it's I mean, I if this is what people want, I guess this is what people can have.
Speaker 5: Well, but it's also not in compliance with the special government Not to sound like a law, the special Government employee d just like the way that that position is designed. Obviously we know he's submitted this confidential conflict of interest report, but you're actually not supposed to have any like any relationship or any work that overlaps with your private portfolios and the special this is overseen by the Attorney General, Department of Justice. So that's on PAMBONDI uh, and I you know, I doubt that there will be any attempt to like rain musk and at least publicly on that question. But he's totally out of compliance with definitely the spirit.
Speaker 6: Of that law. And that law is.
Speaker 5: Just sort of I mean, it's just not designed for something like this, So the application of it is uh, I don't know, Ryan, it's just so the whole thing there's there's there's never been anybody in the history of the country. I mean this sincerely, like even JP Morgan, nobody has ever had this level of power.
Speaker 4: Right now and certainly like right imagine JP Morgan going into the White House but remaining the head of his bank and going in and canceling contracts with his competitors.
Speaker 5: I mean, he was kind of the treasurer while he was uh, he was sort of the Treasury secretary.
Speaker 3: He was like a fed chair before there was a fed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, But then you also, in Musk's case, it's also tons of defense contracts. Like just the amount of contracts that his various businesses have with the government is unbelievable.
Speaker 6: So it's not even just.
Speaker 5: Like one, it's not even just one issue area. It's like across the board.
Speaker 4: Right, And so while Musk's team is in there just unilaterally canceling contracts, The American Prospect reported yesterday that or maybe it was the Lever I can't one of those outlets.
Speaker 3: Reported that a brand new.
Speaker 4: SpaceX contract was just paid out this this just this last week. So I think from the perspective of people who were having all of their contracts cut, to watch the guy who's doing the cutting continue to get contracts is a huge like wait a minute moment. And then if the answer is, well, look, it's a great it's a great contract, and the taxpayer is going to be very happy that they're funding this was for research and development for SpaceX. It's a private company that has made him one of the richest, helped help to make him one of the richest people on the planet, and we're the taxpayer is funding their research and development costs. And that's a good and Okay, that's a great deal for the country. You could imagine a reverse Elon Musk doing a a doing a wow tweet, be like, Wow, this private company that has made this man the richest person in the world world is having its research and development funded by the taxpayer.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable fraud.
Speaker 4: And we found it and you wouldn't have known about it without Dojay, and we are canceling that contract right now. Like, got sorry, this is actually your contract. He's like, this is the best value for the taxpayer that you're ever going to get. And if you don't think so, you tell me and I'll tell you with it.
Speaker 5: I mean, if Zuckerberg had been doing this under a Biden administry.
Speaker 4: As we're paying for Meta's research and development, yeah, he'd be like, wow, we're paying for Meta's research and development.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, we have one more Elon clip to watch and then we have some reaction. Not reaction, but we have some of speaker Mike Johnson as well. So let's play this final Elon clip and.
Speaker 6: We will see what he had to say when asked about this.
Speaker 8: Yours, mister Musk, including a lot of Democrats. I have detractors, I don't believe it, say that you're orchestrating a hostile takeover.
Speaker 3: Of government and doing it in a non transparent way. What's your response to that criticism.
Speaker 8: Well, first of all, you couldn't ask for a stronger mandate from the public. The public voted, We have a majority of the public vote voting for President Trump. We've won the House, who won the Senate. The people voted for major government reform. There should be no doubt about that. That was on the campaign. The President spoke about that at every rally. The people voted for major government reform. And that's what people are going to get. They're going to get what they voted for. And a lot of times that you know people that don't get what they voted for, but in this presidency, they are going to get what they voted for. And that's what democracy is all about.
Speaker 5: So let's also now listen to Speaker Mike Johnson asked about Jadie Vance's recent comment saying that you know it's okay not to comply with a judges order. And here's how Mike Johnson responded.
Speaker 1: There are more and more courts, federal judges, Republican and Democratic appoint of judges have said that some of the Trump actions early actions, we put a halt to them.
Speaker 3: Jade Vance said that judges.
Speaker 7: Aren't allowed to control the executive legitimate power.
Speaker 11: You're a constitutional law expert.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, at the end of the courts say.
Speaker 7: That the administration is valuing the law, should they comply with the court's demands.
Speaker 10: Well, of course the branches have to respect our constitutional order. But there's a lot of game yet to be played.
Speaker 3: Those will be appealed.
Speaker 10: We've got to go through the whole process, and we'll get to the final analysis in the interim. I will say I agree wholeheartedly with Vice President j. D Vance, my friend, because he's right what they're doing in the executive branch. I've been asked so many times, aren't you uncomfortable with this? No, I'm not because when Congress, for example, appropriates dollars for the executive branch to use, we build in not only in the spirit of the law, but in a letter of all a broad amount of discretion for how that is used. There is a presupposition in America if the commander in chief is going to be a good steward of tax payer dollars, the commander in chief, the President of the United States, is going to command those within his branch of government to do the right thing by the people, to be accountable, to not fund drag shows, you know in the Middle Eastern countries or South America. Do not waste our tax payer dollars. And that's what has been uncovered, and that's why we and the people are applauding what's happening right now in the new administration because they've taken that seriously.
Speaker 5: All right, and let's go ahead and take a look over here. So the Trump administration, as Kyle Cheney says, is asking an appeals court for an emergency order to permit it to reinstate limits on federal spending.
Speaker 6: That it says, we're.
Speaker 5: Improperly blocked by a federal judge in Rhode Island, which they called quote intolerable judicial overreach and ran we may actually disagree on this.
Speaker 3: I thought this just as an update this.
Speaker 4: This circuit court has already rejected this appeal, and it was a three judge panel to Biden appointees and an Obama pointees, so they kind of ran headlong into some partisan opponents.
Speaker 3: But the three judges said no, like.
Speaker 4: Give the district district court time to work this out and the state remains in place.
Speaker 3: But go ahead.
Speaker 6: Well no, I was just gonna.
Speaker 5: Say this was what was happening yesterday afternoon, the kind of the broader context for what Musk and Trump we're talking about. And I think there's a pretty good argument that what the judge did was judicial overreach, which kind of kicked off this entire debate between Vance World, and people were curious how Mike Johnson would approach it, given that he is he does have a constitutional law background, and conservatives all came down or I guess I should say the Trump allies all came down on the side of not complying with the order, but then ultimately went through the appeals process, So I guess. I mean, I don't know if I should say balls in their court, but if they want to just be out of compliance with that, the ball is in their court. It just it looks like they probably won't do that, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, JD.
Speaker 4: Vance comparing it to a general on the battlefield seemed to me like a pretty huge stretch, like Congress had Congress passes laws that, uh, you know, prescribe what the federal government is able to do with with some records and and who's able to access them and what precautions have to be taken, and you know, the judge argued that those laws appeared to be broken here and that the executive needed to show cause that it was going to comply with the law. So that felt to me pretty standard and not kind of wildly outside it did, like I understand the point where well, if you're even barring the Treasury secretary from going down and like looking at these data, then that sounds crazy. But the judge did say that if if uh, you know that with with pre clear parents, there could be there could be access granted to you know, any any government officials that were that were in addition needed The reason the preclarance was required here is because the judge I think, felt like they doje A people were being dishonest that they said that this that these kids did not have read and write access that turned out to be false. You it could be an innocent mistake, which is what they're trying to say it is, or it could be a lie that they told. But either way, what they said was false.
Speaker 3: And so there does and and would.
Speaker 4: Then uh, you know, create the breaking of a law, and so for a judge to come in and say you got to you gotta pause because you're breaking the law, to me doesn't seem like they're the ones creating a constitutional crisis.
Speaker 6: Although there is this, I guess.
Speaker 5: The other part of it is that the doge guys are now government employees, which makes it more complicated. And part of it is like, Okay, so Elon is throwing his personal contractors at like I think that's how some people are seeing it, But they've I don't want to say carefully, but they did go through the process of getting them actually employed. So like, for example, I think Ella's was actually an employee of the Treasury. Now he's at the State Department, right, big balls, He's at the State Department now. So they are going through some of the official processes, which kind of complicates the question a little bit. Obviously, if they're out of compliance with the law, they're out of compliance with the law.
Speaker 6: But yeah, and I mean, we talked about this last week.
Speaker 5: Must cause this a revolution, so this is like a very legal revolution.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so, by the way, the other point that must that jd Vance made in this tweet is that a judge would never tell a prosecutor, you know, how to prosecute a case.
Speaker 3: JD.
Speaker 4: Vance went to Yale Law School, and there's this joke about Yale Law School that they don't teach the law there because it's all about becoming like a basically a corporate CEO or something, or a politician or a member of.
Speaker 3: The deep state.
Speaker 4: The idea that I didn't go to law school, but the idea that a judge doesn't tell a prosecutor how to prosecute a case is absurd, Like prosecutor, judges are constantly throwing cases out, constantly telling a prosecutor that they don't have enough evidence to go forward with X, constantly telling them discharge actually doesn't fly, it's gone. So like his examples there when he gets out of the like you can't tell a general how to wage a battle like After that, everything is suggests that he did not actually go to law school, which is strange because we know that he's for a fact, went to a very good one and it was a very smart character.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just put this element up on the screen.
Speaker 5: It was confirmed that Ella's now is at the State Department, so we also are keeping an eye on what I think Rian might be one of the biggest trends that will develop over the next I don't know, like a week or so. Probably probably over the course of the next year, just depends on how all this happens. But CNN read a piece yesterday inside the GOP's careful pushback to Musk's Doge effort, or doggy effort, as you refer to it. And one of the interesting parts of this is, so here's Representative Don Bacon of Nebraska. He's saying, instead of getting rid of everything, let's look at it selectively, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. And he says he's supports shutting down the CFPV for example, that Trump can't ultimately usurp Congress, and obviously Congress established the CFPB, which you know creates quite a dynamic for constitutional conservatives. But you know, there were years spent kind of developing a plan for this muscular executive takeover and running. The thing I find very interesting is in the House of Representatives particularly, we saw some of this from Katie Britton Alabama.
Speaker 6: The broad like.
Speaker 5: Government reform DOGE mission is very popular with red state voters, of course, and so are you going to end up looking like, I don't know, I mean, do you end up looking sort of silly, foolish, selfish if you're don Bacon and maybe for bacon and Nebraska.
Speaker 6: This is USA i D.
Speaker 5: Sending a bunch of American grown farm products to different parts of the world.
Speaker 6: That's a did you know you start to you have to answer that question.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: A major thing that USA i D does is, as Samantha Power you know, said just a couple of days ago, the former director of IT, is it is it tries to open markets for American corporations like it because it's getting so much pressure, like you're finally having people talk a little bit more honestly about what it does. And you know, moving on from USA at all, you know, we're just you know, we're just helping you know, feed and you know, give food, medicine to the to the need. Is like, no, okay, now we actually have to justify what we're doing. Let's be more honest about what we're doing. And one of the things they do, yeah, is they they work on behalf of American corporations and one and agribusiness would be at the very top of that. You know, the last Trump administration saw that a trade war lead to a collapse in soybean prices for the Midwest, which have which have never recovered. And so USAID's one of USAID's jobs is to go in and find places where the US agri business can sell it's it's product. And so I'm sure Bacon part that's part of what Bacon is talking about there. Yeah, And otherwise in the other place, he says, look, all right, you don't like this spending, let's redirect it, but let's do it the constitutional way. Feels feel quaint, like, like let's like pass.
Speaker 3: The law and do it.
Speaker 4: He's like, his argument is that there's still a law. And yes, I feel silly, like in the face of a revolution, right, talking about process, right, because this is what's going on. It's a revolution. And where's these home monitors talking about the law. We happen to have had this constitution in place for it like two hundred and fifty years. So it's it's kind of a big deal. And I've been told my whole life that it's a big deal, and I I apparently it's not.
Speaker 5: Well, but this is the thing with the don Beacons of the world is it's going to become a challenge to stay consistent on wanting this quote revolution, and then when the revolution hits your district, you say, well, we don't have to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Speaker 6: Give us carve outs that make sense.
Speaker 5: And I say carve outs in a pejorative sense, because I think you know in that case, it's easy to support revolution when it doesn't affect your distract.
Speaker 6: Or your constituents.
Speaker 5: But it's really going to test the commitment to the quote unquote revolution when it does like actually come home. So one more point before we take off here for this this block, it.
Speaker 6: Looks like Big Balls.
Speaker 5: He launched, as this reporter says, a privacy focused image sharing site in twenty twenty one that allowed you just to create custom URLs. The URLs that redirected to corsetine site. That's Edward big Ball's corsotine reference the sale of child sexual abuse material, racial slurs.
Speaker 6: And rape.
Speaker 5: Ran I didn't quite know what to make about the story, to be honest, because I don't necessarily oppose creating different tools like this, and we're reading into possible motives here in a way that I'm as crazy as the whole Big balls thing is, I don't want to jump to conclusions, but what did you make of this?
Speaker 4: So what makes this to me so shocking is that it is specifically focused on encrypting images. It's specifically has been used to have abused used by people who've abused that in the way that you would expect, you know, a site like that to be abused, and it goes I do a lot of work that requires, you know, encrypting our communications so that you know sources are able to communicate with journalists and not be discovered by authoritarian regimes who who would you know then torture and kill them. And so encryption and privacy are very valuable things. If you have a document that you were trying to encrypt and keep secret from these authoritarian regimes, you have multiple options. You can put it on an encrypted thumb drive, you can put it on a laptop that is disconnected from from the Internet and that and as long or you can put it in and you can put that in a safe like There are pretty solid things you can do to protect your documents and keep them encrypted and safe from those kinds of prying eyes. But notice the characteristic that you still have when you're doing that you are in possession of those document slash images. At that point, I don't mind that because I'm not doing anything illegal. A journalist is allowed to be in possession of classified or secret documents that is well within the law. You are not allowed to be in possession of other certain images, which we're not even going to talk about here. Therefore, the regime that I just laid out of protecting the documents would not actually be sufficient. If your motivation was to protect you from the legal implications of possessing those kinds of images. What you would need is some encrypted way to hold them somewhere else, on a different server that you would still have access to, but that could then not be connected back to you. And that is precisely what mister Balls has designed here. And if he did it, it's accidentally and just happened to be the perfect vehicle for this type of exploitative imagery to be possessed, but not possessed by perverts who should be in prison. Then somebody should have told him, hey, you know, what looks like what you're designing is going to is specifically to be used for these types of people, and it's a crime and you should be in prison for it, or he designed it this way on purpose, like those are those are the only two options.
Speaker 5: Well, and what's crazy is so he's nineteen now, I believe, and if this was twenty twenty one, you.
Speaker 6: Do the math.
Speaker 5: This kid was in his like smack in the middle of his teenage years, creating which I'm sure defenders will say, he's a brilliant young mind. And you know, that's the type of person you want to bring into the government. But obviously that's it's insane that you even have that level of power on our current Internet when you're that age potentially, so lots of news to talk about in the Middle East, so let's move on to that. So we learned more about how Donald Trump plans to approach a potential peace in the Middle East. Ryan as yesterday went along, this is just a very busy space. But in the Oval Office press conference that we discussed earlier in the show, he was obviously, unsurprisingly asked some questions about this. Let's hear how he responded. This is after, by the way, he met with King Abdullah of Jordan. You can see this is the usual setup in front of the fireplace at the White house. So he got a question on that. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 7: We think we're making some very good progress.
Speaker 1: You've said before that the US would buy Gaza, and today you just said, we're not going to buy Gadza.
Speaker 12: We're not going to have to buy.
Speaker 7: We're going to We're going to have guys that would have to buy. There's nothing to buy. We will have Gaza that no reason to buy. There is nothing to buy. It's Gaza. It's a war torn area. We're going to take it. We're going to hold it, We're going to cherish it. We're going to get it going eventually where a lot of jobs are going to be created for the people in the Middle East. It's going to be for the people in the Middle East. But I think it can be a diamond. It can be an absolute tremendous asset for the Middle East. And you're gonna have peace.
Speaker 12: It's going to bring peace in the Middle East.
Speaker 5: Okay, And so here's another response, just quickly. It's similar, but he was asked a similar question and gave a similar response to what we've heard. Still worth listening to, though, for sure.
Speaker 12: Only thing I can say is this is going to bring stability and peace to the Middle East, and ultimately, when it's developed, which will be in quite a while from now, we want to the things calm down. But when it's developed, it's going to bring tremendous numbers of jobs to Middle East and including the people of your country.
Speaker 6: Ryan a lot to work with there.
Speaker 5: Again, similar to what Donald Trump has been saying for the last week plus. But when he's confronted on some really obvious questions about this, that's what he has to say.
Speaker 6: What did you make of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, every time.
Speaker 4: And Trump also was asked multiple times in here whether or not Palestinians would be able to return to Gaza once this was redeveloped, which is the main objection that.
Speaker 3: Palatinians would have to the plan. I think.
Speaker 4: If there is a guaranteed right of return and there's going to be reconstruction, there are negotiations around how that can be accomplished that could easily reach agreement on all sides. Every time Trump has been asked whether Palestinians would be able to return, he has said no, and he has used this strange formulation that they won't want to come back, which is just confusing at best to anybody and just not. It's not that confusing because it just makes completely clear to everybody involved that this is an explicit plan to get everybody out to ethnically cleanse the entire region. And therefore the obvious Trump is not a moron. The obvious response from Palestinians is going to be Okay, well, then we're not leaving and and and you have blown up the ceasefire deal because the ceasefire Deal says that more than a week ago, negotiations around Phase two are supposed to have already started. And negotiations around phase two mean that Israel will leave the Philadelpha Quarter which is down there by Rapha and Egypt, and will fully withdraw from Gaza. All of the hostages will be exchanged, and reconstruction will begin. That's that's what phase two is supposed to mean. If and that is and that is a redevelopment, that is, you know, for the people who live there. Egypt has come out and put out a statement saying that they support the general idea of reconstructing Gaza and that they're willing to work with the United States to do this. But of course the Palestinians have to be able to stay the idea that that is where we're having some level of argument is just nuts like there, because there is no you know, you're you're getting no Arab buy in, You're getting no Palestinian buy in without that, and the US and Israel, absent a nuclear weapon, don't really have the capacity to clear out all.
Speaker 5: Of these people or the will you know, like you said, like a nuclear weapon or yeah, like tunnel warfare, right, good luck, it's on the ground tunnel warfare.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: This was Dropsite pulled this video of King Abdullah of Jordan a comment that he made along these lines, which was also rather interesting. Let's take a listen to what he said in this presser with President.
Speaker 11: I truly believe that with all the challenges that we have in the Middle East, that I finally see somebody that could take us across the finish line to bring stability, peace and prosperity to all of us in the region. And it is I think our collective responsibility in the Middle East to continue to work with you to support you.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, we also have this video of Netanyahu talking about a lot of what Ryan was was just mentioning the collapse of the ceasefire deal.
Speaker 6: Let's take a listen to what he said.
Speaker 4: Right, So this is Netanyahu speaking in Hebrew to the Israeli public after the Security Council briefing and basically saying that because of what Donald Trump has offered to Israel, they are demand they're they're uppering their demands, and they're willing to go back to war starting on Saturday if if all of the Israeli.
Speaker 3: Demands are are are not met.
Speaker 4: And you know, Jeremy Scalhe over at Dropsite reported some of Nenyah Who's comments inside the security briefing, which I think are really tell you exactly you know how this unfolded. Net Yah who said to his to his council here he said, quote, you wanted a day after plan, you got one. It just it just doesn't match the Oslo narrative. We won't repeat that mistake. So he's talking about Donald Trump has now you know, forever ended Oslo and has given them a day after plan that they did not have before. So he said, quote, I've come back with a vision without Hamas and without the Palestinian authority. We know what complete victory is and we will not give up on it. So what net Yah, who is saying here is very clear Trump has opened the possibility of complete victory, as he calls it, by which he means the complete eradication of the Palestinian population in Gaza. And therefore, whatever ceasefire agreement they reached before hand, it's pointless to pursue when this revolutionary potential is in front of them. So they are they are declaring their their intention to go forward with this starting on Saturday.
Speaker 5: So that brings us to this next post from your colleague at dropsite, Jeremy Scahill.
Speaker 6: Put this up on the screen.
Speaker 5: He says, nine paragraphs into Today's New York Times store, in the situation with the Gazza seaes fire, readers are informed that israelly officials and international mediators quote said that Hamas's claims.
Speaker 6: Were act here.
Speaker 4: This is an incredible moment because what Hamas has said is that Israel, after a couple of days of letting in some food in medicine, choked off AID again. And also that Israel is a more than a week overdue in sending negotiators as required to Dohat to negotiate phase two of the agreement. And when they finally did send negotiators they were who specifically forbid them from discussing phase two and instead of just talking about some some loose ends around phase one.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: That that is Hamas's claim. According to the mediators and Israeli officials, Hamas's claim is accurate. It's kind of a remarkable line from the New York Times and not remarkable for them to bury it. You know, you read you famously should read the New York Times from the bottom up, and that's the that's the way to get you know, the most accurate to the least accurate in information.
Speaker 3: But so that's that's clearly what's going on.
Speaker 4: And Hamas has put put out a statement last night saying we continue to be willing to abide by the ceasefire as long as the occupation is willing to abide by the ceasefire, which they pointed out is guaranteed by the United States.
Speaker 3: So it is Hamas who.
Speaker 4: Is standing up for the rules, the process, fairness, the international rules based order. It's it's quite an ironic situation if you're somebody that thinks that Hamas is a you know, barbaric, lawless terrorist organization, when it is Israel in the United States that cut a deal set and is now very explicitly abrogating the deal in favor of complete eradication of a population.
Speaker 5: I mean, Hamas can still be a barbaric terrorist organization and when its interests are to comply, to look compliant, to come to the negotiations and say we're we have all of our teas crossed and ice dotted.
Speaker 3: We're all we're all barbaric. It's just what we do.
Speaker 4: And Hamas here is trying to abide by the rules that and trying to abide by their agreement.
Speaker 5: So rhen you guys had drop site had a PDF that we were going to go through as slides.
Speaker 4: This document was published at drop site over by my colleagues Jeremy's Cahill and Shreef del Caduce. This is this is a Hamas document that they that they circulated among the among the negotiators and those who were supposed to be guaranteeing that the ceasefire agreement is is actually you know, carried out, and so they you know, they argue here and I'll go through this soul. You can actually just find it at drop sidews dot com.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: They continued flying drones. Israel continued flying drones.
Speaker 4: They continued, you know, military vehicles remained in places where they had agreed to remove military vehicles. They demolished homes where they had agreed that they would stop demolishing homes. They killed civilians after saying that there would be a ceasefire. The release of prisoners was was delayed, delay in sending lists of prisoners, and then you know some of the things we've seen. Number nine here, families of the deported prisoners were prohibited from joining them and from leaving the West Bank human and this is the point they made about humanitarian that the humanitarian aid was not getting in. You can see how precise and detailed their complaints are. Their fourth complaint, the denial of essential supplies. You can see that there, as well as finally, the fact that they have refused this is the key one political violations.
Speaker 3: They've refused to abide.
Speaker 4: By the terms that say it's time now to start negotiating a phase two, and instead they have been publicly saying that they will not in fact move on to phase two. So just you know, as flagrant a series of violations as you could have to an agreement, and one that, as The New York Times reports, the mediators and Israeli officials agree is accurate. So that's all like everything, Like you don't have to trust to mass but if you trust anybody else involved in this, everyone agrees that that document that we just showed you is accurate.
Speaker 5: I'm really interested to see how Steve Whitcough's, assuming his role is ongoing in all of this. I'm actually pretty curious to see how he deals with some of these questions because I think one of the strange things, and honestly, I would say so far like good things about wit Coough rolling in as a businessman has been he looks at some of the leverage on both sides and just like, what the heck is going on? Like this is completely we've been you know, obviously the United States has just been approaching approaching this in a way that makes very little sense. So Ryan in this case, it may be very interesting to see how how Witcough handles these questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll see if he could pull some rabbit out of a hat here. But you know, I think the you know, you know who smells blood in the water here, you know, Trump has opened up to him a possibility that is too tantalizing not not to at least, you know, take take a shot.
Speaker 5: At let's not take a look at this clip of Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro talking to Steven A. Smith, who was shouting us out a bit yesterday. Crystalin Sager was shouting breaking points out a bit yesterday on x But here's his question and answer with Josh Shapiro on his podcast.
Speaker 13: But the first order of business is his position that essentially the US wants to take over to Gaza.
Speaker 14: Yeah, what was your reaction.
Speaker 13: When you heard that and when you saw him standing next to Benjamin NETANYAHUO, the Prime Minister of Israel whistling.
Speaker 14: So I thought it was an unseerious proposal. I thought it was a proposal that if he actually carried it out the way he said he was, violates international law. I thought it was deeply disrespectful to the Palestinian people. I think it doesn't take into account Jordan and Egypt and how they're going to feel about it. I thought it was wrong. Look, I want these hostillies and I want all these hostages home. I'm someone who believes that there should be a two state solution. I want the Palestinians to have a state that they can call their own. I want them to live peacefully side by side with Israel. I think what Donald Trump did was make that harder. And again I thought it was really un serious and unhelpful. At this time, you still got about one hundred ish hostages that aren't home. Why would you do anything to upset that process?
Speaker 13: Now?
Speaker 5: So, Ryan, what did you make of Shapiro's answer to that question?
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree more. Trump is condemning.
Speaker 4: These hostages to death with this plan, you know, Shapiro is you know, Shapiro has been pretty has actually been probably more critical of Israel than the standard than your standard bog democrat. Like if you take the Median dem and their position on Israel in general and also Israel post October seventh, you will find that that Shapiro has been more willing to criticize Israel than the average Democrat. And so I wasn't surprised at all that that that's a that and and what he's saying there is very very much in line with kind of a liberal zion Is two state solution kind of democrat, which is which is I think what he proudly is.
Speaker 5: Which is interesting because he's also seen as one of the few Democrats who's been to your point, Yeah, like a liberal. Zion is very outspoken in support of Israel.
Speaker 4: So it's like some some of that, I think it's just that he's Jewish, and so people kind of just assume that there's a little more like allegiance there or something, which probably you know, there's there's a little bit of bigotry there in that kind of assumption.
Speaker 6: Well, he was.
Speaker 5: Pretty tough after October seventh, and like I protest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he went he went to a lot of signaling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he went.
Speaker 4: He went to war against protesters on on campuses. Like people have to understand where the Median Democrat is to understand that to be slightly a tick to the left of that doesn't actually mean you're not a very passionate Zionis supporter of Israel. It's just it's all on a kind of meaningless spectrum from the Palestinians perspective, you.
Speaker 5: Know, as somebody who's really seen right now is the future or the potential future, maybe a potential future leader of the Democratic Party. And you can hear him doing his like Obama impression slash Southern drawl for everyone in like what like southwestern PA.
Speaker 6: I don't even know.
Speaker 5: He, I guess is handling the question in a way that makes sense given that he wants a position himself as a leader of the Democratic Party going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty twenty eight, I guess I was told we weren't going to have any more elections. We'll see if we do.
Speaker 5: All right, let's move on to news now in Eastern Europe. Well, there's a lot going on when it comes to Donald Trump's plans.
Speaker 6: For how to end the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 5: It's almost as though he started his administration working on Israel and is now turning his attention to winding down the war in Ukraine. And he had some interesting comments yesterday at the White House about the minerals, the mineral situation in Ukraine.
Speaker 6: Ryan. This was an interesting line from Trump.
Speaker 15: I want to have our money secured because we're spending hundreds of billions of dollars. And you know, they may make a deal, they may not make a deal. They may be Russian someday, or they may not be Russian someday. But we're going to have all this money in there. And I say, I want it back. And I told them that I want the equivalent like five hundred billion dollars worth of rare earth, and they've essentially agreed to do that. So at least we don't feel stupid. Otherwise we're stupid. I said to them, we have to think, we have to get something. We can't continue to pay this money.
Speaker 6: What did you make of that?
Speaker 4: Right, Well, it's it's interesting also in the context of Zelenski saying that the claims that we've sent one hundred and seventy seven billion worth of aid a military aid are false and that he's short one hundred billion. Unclear what exactly to make of that. You know, all of this is kind of pencil whipped together by us saying, well, these missiles are worth this, and we're going to send that, and we're going to count that towards the figure. But you know, more broadly speaking, this is this is the kind of bald Trumpian kind of truth telling around what imperialism and what it is and what it means to be a client state of the unit of the United States.
Speaker 6: Transactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, when he as you know, when he said, you know, my troops are in Syria to take the oil, like he said, if we were going to go in and invade a rack. It's it's we should, we should get the oil. It also kind of misunderstands Themerican Empire that just it assumes that because the American Empire doesn't say out loud that the reason everything it does is for the purpose of corporate profits and resource extraction, that therefore that's not what it's about, which is idiotic and naive in the extreme of course, like that's what we're doing. Why, Like, we didn't bring democracy to Iraq, justc and it just coincidentally happened to be sitting on a whole bunch of of oil. You know, we didn't. We didn't, We're not. It's just it's just so obvious to anybody who is paying like the most amount attention. So it's almost, I guess heartening to have it. It is spoken out loud. Okay, now you understand. This is why we are this is a reason we are supporting Ukraine. It's more about geostrategic I think, military confrontation with with Russia less than it is resource extraction.
Speaker 3: But it is it is also that well, it's kind.
Speaker 5: Of interesting because we're in this like weird reckoning where because Trump is taking this wrecking ball to the pretense. You also then hear people like Sam Powers coming out and responding by saying, well, okay, you know, she's not as direct as Trump, of course, but from Chris Murphy to her, you have people being like, yeah, this is all about empire and or research or extraction, and they say it in these terms that are still not you know, Trumpian transactionality, but they are being more honest about it because Trump is threatening the programs, yeah, and the ie.
Speaker 4: From Ukraine's perspective, it must be so galling and offensive because like Ukraine has lost hundreds and hundreds of thousands of its people to this war. Ukraine did that, you know, on behalf of you know, they were invaded, but they've been you know, they did it at the at the urging of the United States. There was a there were peace talks underway in March of twenty twenty two that the United States basically directed them to scuttle and continue the war. So the idea that Ukraine would do what we asked them to do, and we owe the and Ukraine owes us all of their rare earths because we sent our surplus weapons to Ukraine for the Ukraine to fire them at Russia so we could test test our weapons out and then replenish our stock has got to be deeply offensive, Like what do I mean we owe you like we're like Ukraine is the one that has suffered deeply as a result of this, the idea that they owe us.
Speaker 5: I mean, they had a lot of agency and willingly extracting their own resources to there's so much. I mean, obviously people know the corruption in Ukraine.
Speaker 4: You know, well, yes they had they had some agency, but when you know, the US came in in the post Soviet totally era and created this created an oligarchy, Like we are the ones that built that oligarchy. So did the you know what, what did an individual Ukrainian have his or her disposal to do anything again?
Speaker 3: You know about those oligarchs.
Speaker 5: So let's even as we've been talking, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was weighing in on this conflict. He's on his first trip abroad, and he said basically that a return to Ukraine's pre war borders is quote unrealistic, as the New York Times has it here, really interesting, not surprising, but quite an interesting comment there from Pete Hegseth on his first trip abroad. He's at a NATO meeting in Brussels. Ryan, it's pretty interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean this is this is it like like once you have the Secretary of Defense telling the Ukrainians that it is an unrealistic object of an illusionary goal and it's not going to happen, that you're going to give up territory, then they have to give up territory because that that means that that is the US negotiating starting point. So obviously zero chance Russia comes back with a proposal that restores all of Ukrainian sovereigny, so that this is a this is a huge step for heg Seth to say this out loud, and it comes as let me see if you have this handy or should I say.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, go ahead and.
Speaker 6: Share that right now.
Speaker 5: And it's also interesting just as I'm pulling it up to think about there there were some actual questions about Pete Hegseth and whether he was really like new Right Maga or old right Maga, because he does come with you know a lot of he said so many different things over the years, like it's just an interesting kind of question and people didn't know if he was like just still kind of a neocon with America First style. But this is a pretty strong indication of where his his foreign policy is headed.
Speaker 4: Yes, and from all the sources that I've spoken to who who are close to heg Seth, they have been they have been very clear and explicit to me that this is a America First guy, like this is he is. That that's who he is, whatever his politics may have been in the past, Like there are a lot been a lot of Republicans who have of you know, have evolved into this America First thing, and some of some of the conversions have been real, some of them haven't.
Speaker 3: In some ways, it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Matter, because whether he meant what he just said or whether he didn't mean it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: He said it.
Speaker 4: And here let me add this this Hill articles. Basically this this these comments.
Speaker 3: From heg Seth comes after Zelensky has.
Speaker 4: You know, open the door toward these negotiations in the sense of, you know, there's some Russian territory in the Curse region that that Ukrainian's control. He is saying that they will swap some of that land for some of the territory that Russia controls, and key in this in his comments is that he said they're not prioritizing which territory would be swapped. You know, there's all of it is a high priority, which means that they're not talking about demanding all of it. That there's that this this is a implicit concession that Ukraine is going to have to turn over some territory now at the same time, Russia is demanding not just the territory that they currently control, but additional territory that they claim they ought to have some legal right to.
Speaker 5: And we can say, also, we'll find out oh sorry, Renna, didn't mean interrupt Oz and say, well, we'll also sort of find out what Scott Besson's apparsonal all this is too because Donald Trump posts country social yesterday that he's like dispatching Bess in to Ukraine to end the war.
Speaker 6: So similar kind of dynamic.
Speaker 5: At play with Pete Hegseth and Scott Besson's or kind of a litmus test.
Speaker 4: I would say, yeah, and the cost to Ukraine of following the US direction in continuing to wage this war.
Speaker 3: Is going to be absolutely enormous.
Speaker 4: It looks like there will there will be a much worse deal on the table than than may have been achievable. Whether or whether it was achieval or not, we don't know. But the Ukrainians were basically blocked from from going for it. And it is a very very blunt signal to other countries around the world of what the price is for following the directions of the United States. It's that there was that famous Kissinger quote where he says, it's it's dangerous to be an adversary of the United States, but to be a friend is deadly, and that was the case for Ukraine. You're now you've just today you've had multiple kind of European leaders bucking bucking the Trump administration and saying that what they need to do in the future is pivot towards China, a much more reliable partner and one that they see on the upswing. So the idea that like we're even losing Europe over at this critical moment looks like it's going to be the US against the world.
Speaker 5: And let's actually watch this clip of Pete Hegseth because we actually have the video.
Speaker 6: So I'll rolle now, like you.
Speaker 1: A sovereign and prosperous Ukraine, but We must start by recognizing that returning to Ukraine's pre twenty fourteen borders is an unrealistic objective. The United States does not believe that NATO membership for Ukraine is a realistic outcome of a negotiated settlement. Instead, any security guarantee must be backed by capable European and non European troops.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: The benefit I think of watching that clip is you see that's scripted. It's not a slip of the tongue. It's not a offhanded comment. That was a really intentional statement from the new Defense secretary. As by the way, what you can see on your screen now is a picture of a dead Ukrainian soldier's search history, which includes if you're listening to this Ukraine Russian negotiations, Zelensky negotiations, it goes on Putent talks Trump, when will the war end?
Speaker 6: Is absolutely gut wrenching to see that.
Speaker 4: It's just a poignant set of search results, because it shows how desperate this soldier was for an end to this, to this awful war it and it didn't come, and it didn't come in time for him and for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of others.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's insane that we have so little talk about the volume of casualties is in death like it is completely insane on both sides of this war. And you can understand why, I think Ryan. Another interesting thing is there's Zelensky is now speaking the way that he's speaking. There's a certain amount of pressure that he has to be responsive to at at this point as well, and in a way, Hagxeth and the Trump administration coming down so strongly in their position on NATO and territory is I'm sure welcome news to a lot of Ukrainians.