Speaker 1: Hi, Curse Up listeners, I know you miss me on your feed. Don't worry. We're working on an all new season of Curse Of coming out later this year. In the meantime, if you can't stop thinking about the shocking stories you heard about America's Next Top Model, you'll definitely want to check out our new docuseries from E Dirty Rotten Scandals. In the series, you'll hear from the America's Next Top Model participants you heard from on Curse Of, and a few you didn't like former A and TM judge Janis Dickinson. Dirty Rotten Scandals unveils the dark underbelly of the long running TV series through the untold stories of former contestants, and shows what happens when a golden opportunity for aspiring models unravels into a harrowing saga of exploitation, shattered dreams, and resilience. You can find the two part docuseries Dirty Rotten Scandals America's Next Top Model on E Network. Check your local TV provider schedule. Want to be on some you want to be on the show. Welcome to the Curse of America's Next Top Model. I'm Richard Armstrong. Hey, y'all, we're back with part two of this bonus episode. I'm with my editor Monik la Board and we're doing a deep dive on the new ANTM Netflix Dock. We left off talking about one of the most disturbing revelations in the docu series, What Happened to Shandy Sullivan on A and TM Cycle two. In the documentary, Shandy describes an incident on set where producers invited over some guys to the model house. They were drinking and Shandy was really drunk and she and one of the guys ended up having a sexual encounter, but Shandy was too drunk to consent, and without consent, that is sexual assault. A and TM filmed the whole thing, including the assault, and aired it and all of these years later, when Tyra and Kinmock were asked about what happened to Shandy on the docuseries, they refuse to take accountability. In fact, kin Mock justified it, well, what about when Kinmock said they kept filming because it was a documentary.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, bull shit, Like it is not a documentary. Even documentaries are produced, they know what they're gonna get and they edit it to look a certain way like it is okay, we know that it is not a documentary. People were typecast, people were told who to be, and the scenes that we saw, the reactions that we saw at that was all set up and planned. Like calling in a documentary. That really rubbed me the wrong way. Yeah, what do you think?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I was like, we literally know, like we know that this thing. If your idea of a documentary is we show up and document whatever's happen, right, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, no, we know for sure.
Speaker 1: We had producers on record saying to us, yeah, we stirred the pot. Yeah, we created drama. Yeah, we did all these things and stuff for him to sort of be like they intervened. I mean they intervened when the person that they didn't think that the person who won All Stars, Angelie was suitable to be on the show, they intervened and kicked her off the show in a retap. But you know what I mean, they intervened. They intervened a lot, Like they intervened a lot to cause certain situations that would play great for the camera. They intervened a lot. And so for you to take this road of like oh everybody knew when they came on the show that we're just going to film what happens when we're talking about a girl getting literally assaulted, yep, when you are literally filming a blackout, drunk woman being sexually assaulted, Like this is what we're talking about. What you didn't want to intervene, not like a squabble between two contestants, you know. And that for me, again, that's the sort of thing that you say we were wrong, Like that's all this I don't want to hear about, Like, oh, it's a documentary and that's just something you say, you know what, we were wrong and we should have handled that differently, and you know. But I don't know why I get shot every time I hear lack of accountability from Kim Mock and Tyre, I think that's just they don't feel bad. That's what we're supposed to take away from this. They don't feel that bad about this. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting. The only time we saw Kim Mock take accountability was on the Dead Body shoot, which was disturbing to see, but yeah, he gave a pretty good example of accountability. He was like, that was wrong. That was my call and that was the wrong call. And we should not have done that period and that it's like, why is that so hard to say? Can we say that more for some of this other stuff that happened. Maybe it's that that isn't legally implicating it all. It's just unsavory and that's why he was able to say it and take accountability for that one. But I would have liked to see a lot more of that from ken Bock and Tyra.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And there was a lot of stuff that the doc didn't get into that we talked about, right, So watching the Psachi series we had all this context. One of those things for me, and it's what we're talking about now, was the amount of manipulation that happened behind the scenes, whether that was manipulating scenes, creating drama, manipulating who actually won, setting up challenges so certain people did really well and others didn't. That for me was something they didn't get into as much that we certainly talked about. Another thing that was big for us we did two whole episodes the Psyche Vowels didn't really talk about the Psyche valves, which you know, this was a part of the process where everybody went through. You were told it was for your own safety, but actually they were using it also to produce the show. One thing for me that Kimmock said, though, I was like, wait, that's it, You're admitting the thing. He said that a lot of the young women who came on the show had troubled backgrounds or didn't have a great family life, and they didn't get validation at home, and so they came to A and TM seeking that validation. And the troubled childhood or difficult upbringing pattern is something we also uncovered when recording for the podcast.
Speaker 2: I was surprised that they didn't get into that at all, but it wasn't an accident that this show knew about all of these women's deep traumas and then brought them back up at really strikingly convenient times. So, like, it was really strange to see Ken Mock acknowledge that some of these girls had come on the show from difficult backgrounds having issues at home, because we had talked about like, what is the pattern there? Why are we seeing this pattern where so many of these women have a really traumatic background, And the pattern is that they were all selected to be on the show, Like those were the contestants, you picked it wasn't an accident that they all had traumatic backgrounds and that was used against them to break them down while the cameras were on. So it felt really tone deaf that he said that, not acknowledging how that information got translated to the producers and the fact that those particular women were chosen for the show. And then I just think I've really enjoyed our episodes about psyche vwels. That was really illuminating for me about how reality TV shows work period, but especially how psyche vwls can be misused and abused on shows like this. So I think they were missing that for sure. Another thing that we brought up on our show that they didn't get into in the Netflix dock was the contracts that these I mean a lot of times girls were signing, these teenagers were signing and being told to sign in the moment in the room and not getting the chance to look it over, also not really understanding what they were signing. And we got a copy of the contract went through it, talked about it on an episode of the podcast, but that was that was completely missing from the Netflix stock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was actually surprised by that because it's one of the things that I think you hear the models criticize the show for the most was just how exploited of their contracts were and how they got nothing out of being on the show. You know, we heard from models who told us that like they couldn't even they couldn't make any money from it. So like they couldn't even start a YouTube channel, you know, a paid channel that where they're talking about their experience on ATM. They couldn't write a book, they couldn't do anything, and this is all in the contract. Meanwhile, Tyra was getting really rich. And I think that that I actually think that that is one of the biggest missing perspectives on this doc. That it wasn't just like, oh, you were on the show and you were humiliated a bit, right, Like, I don't even know if people fully understand they didn't get compensated at all, Like they had to buy their own food. That actually shocked to be when we found it. When we first started working on this, I'd heard some other models say they had a per dim a day, right, but I still didn't. It didn't connect to me that they had to actually you set per dim to feed themselves, because I'm just thinking, like if you're on a show, they feed you, right, like, at the very least you're gonna get three meals a day, because like, wouldn't they want you to like eat, But like we come to find out, know they want you starving and mad. That's something that like the Netflix stock doesn't get into. And I think that really just further drives home the exploitation they experienced because knowing even in the short term, your basic needs were not even met on this show. Meanwhile, you're humiliating yourself so tire can make millions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's that like agreement that we now kind of audiences now understand with people who go on reality TV shows that like, yeah, you're gonna be humiliated, probably by the production team, regardless of what show it is, but you will get if you want it, a lot of Instagram followers depending on how you do on the show and how you market yourself, like you can become an Internet celebrity afterwards. But this is a time when that was not an option. So not only were they paid like pennies to appear basically on the show, they didn't get to build that brand afterwards at all. So it's just like such an interesting moment in time they were left out to dry. They did have a scene with Danny Evans talking about launching her modeling career afterwards and being explicitly told you're not getting gigs because you were on A ANDTM and people don't want to work with you because of that. It looks bad. Basically, what did you think about what she said on the doc? That was new information that Tyra had approached her years later and told her that she was aware of that stigma.
Speaker 1: And then she didn't do anything for her.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that either. Well, one thing, I think it's interesting about the relationship between Tyra and Danny Evans. We're talking about how Tyra rarely apologizes to anybody, Like she'll apologize for like to the audience, but not to a person. It was like a half assed apology. It was like, oh, I shouldn't have done that. But Danny Evans's the gap, telling Danny Evans to get her gap closed and ultimately closing it a bit. That's one of the things that Tyra has addressed in the past, and so to hear Danny say that, like, yeah, Tyra admitted to just sort of leaving me out to Dry. I think it sort of made me wonder if Tyra like really resented Danny for some reason because she turned her down on getting the Gap club because she didn't take her advice explicitly. Did she just sort of hang her out to dry? If that's just what Tyra did with all the girls and Danny just so happened to like run into her and she was feeling truthful that day. I don't know, but yeah, it did make me think about, like there's something there's a dynamic happening between Tyron and Danny where Tyre did feel the need to address what she did to her, but also didn't feel the need to help her, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a big point that we made in the podcast, which is that.
Speaker 1: A lot of these.
Speaker 2: Women after coming on the show weren't actually welcomed into the fashion industry. It wasn't actually a credential that they had won antm. It was the opposite. It was like a stain because it was seen as like taki to have, you know, gone on a reality TV show and with someone like Danny, I mean seeing that she had got herself after the show into an agency where she was trying auditioning and then just looking at some of her photos after the show from her career, even looking at her now, you're like, oh, you actually could have made it. You really have the genetics, you had the face, you are a supermodel, and this show hurt you more than it helped you. That I think we see a copy and pasted onto a lot of women, but just Stanny was the most obvious example in the Netflix doc, and I would have liked to see more stories like hers of trying to make it afterwards, like we heard with Yanna. I think Eanna similarly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it also made me think of someone who wasn't on the Netflix doc. She was in our pod. She's also going to be on the e Dirty Broden's Gambles series Angelie. Yes, because I thought about the things that these women had to go do to like make ends meet right, Like Angelie told probably one of the most moving and disturbing and memorable stories I think on our podcast YEP. On Angelie's original season, she did pretty well. She got off the show, couldn't find work, could not find work at all. No one took her seriously. Angelie got like the angry black girl, ghetto girl, edit on her season she could not get work. Angelie ends up being trafficked like sex traffic, and she ends up getting out of it. Not long after, she goes back on A ANDTM All Stars. She wins the whole thing and they take away her win because the contract allowed her to, and Angelie after that still never got that modeling opportunity. It's like she did the things she was supposed to do, she won the show, and that still didn't help her at all. So that for me, it was really interesting that Netflix didn't talk about that. Of course, we decided to tie it to the contracts because that's how they were able to strip her win, but just that, in and of itself, that story to show that like this show did not help women, and even when they were in a position to help the women who really needed help, they went out of their way to not help them if they didn't represent whatever standard bullshit standard they'd come up with.
Speaker 2: You know, seeing Tyra in this dock and how bad she comes off, it does make me wonder she didn't want someone to actually be the next supermodel like Queen, you know what I mean, Like she might have not actually wanted to share that spotlight that title that could be a part of this as well that I didn't let myself think about during the podcast production because it felt like it wasn't substantiated fully. But seeing her in this Netflix dock consistently deflecting and then knowing how much these women wanted and could have made it in the industry, but she didn't go to bat for them at all, it makes me wonder what her motivations were there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean that is true because I feel like Tyra came up in an era where there could only be one There could only be one black supermodel, right, and so she was pitted against Naomi Campbell, And while Tira presented herself was like girl power, I love all women. We know like based on the show that like, she certainly didn't, and so I could That's such a good point, MO, Like she maybe did not want to create her rival. She didn't want to take the create the person who would now be known as the other black supermodel. It's like it comes from this like mindset of scarcity, and it isn't it's not always your fault that you have that mindset of scarcity, but I guess it's just in huge contrast with how Tyra actually presented herself. But yeah, that's the point. I didn't think about a lot either, like did Tyra even want any of these girls to be top models? Because then who was Tyra?
Speaker 2: And with Angelie the documentary, not getting into Angelie was a real missed opportunity in the Netflix talk I mean, even though they didn't have her interview, they still could have talked about that, talked about it, and they didn't.
Speaker 1: It's one of the biggest scandals that ever happened on ANTM. I'm like, talk about it, mentioning it, I guess. I mean, this is the problem. We also ran into right and we had ten eleven episodes if you count the bonus. There's just so much crazy shit that went down on that show. You really do have to pick what you're going to talk about and what you're going to say about it, and so, you know, hated for him. Netflix only had three episodes, so there's a lot of stuff that they skipped over that I was like a little surprised by. And I think Angelee's story is certainly one of them, because when have you ever heard of like somebody winning the whole thing and then having this huge scandal where their win is taken away. And it's interesting because they never did another All Stars after that either, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah. And the other thing we didn't see from the Netflix stock that they could have gone into but they didn't, which we talked about in our last episode of the podcast, is what these contestants, what these former contestants actually want from Tyra. And it differs, you know, we heard different takes on what they want, but a lot of them just want accountability. Some of them just want a phone call where Tyra says, hey, I know that what happened on that show was not okay, and I'm sorry, and that was my call and I wish it had gone down differently, and I respect you and I wish that it hadn't happened. You know, like a lot of them just wanted that, But some of them want money. You know, they're like, my image is still being replayed over and over again and I'm making no money on this. But we didn't hear any of those perspectives on what they want from Tira. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's really missing too, because I think it changes the conversation from we were victims, we had this thing happened to us, We just need to talk about it, and it makes it seem like there's no way to be actually accountable. And then it's Answerry, you know what I mean, Like there are tangible things that can be and a lot of these models know that and they're saying that.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. Yeah, all right, so let's really go deep on Tyra because we both have been talking about Tyra for a year and what does she know, what does she not know? What does she oh? These women, these contestants from the show, what does she represent? What did she do? What did she not do? And why is she the person that we put all of this all and is that there? You know, these are questions we grappled with, especially you. I mean when we were first working on this series, it was hard for you to cop down too hard on Tyra. At the beginning, you were like, I don't know if she's the villain, So yeah, let's talk about that now.
Speaker 1: It is something I grapple with a lot. And in the beginning I was like, I don't think she's a villain. Then I was like, I think she's an evil genius. Then like even on the last episode, like when we were still weighing this question, out like we had. We had a whole segment, a whole section where we were talking about all the things Tara did do right, right, and all the criticism that Tyra's gotten that isn't the same as like white men in her same position, similarly positioned white men, they don't get the same sort of criticism. Like we even went there with it, and I did leave feeling like we've been really fair to Tyra while like holding her to account. But after watching the Netflix doc and watching how she feels about it now, I almost feel like we could have went harder. We didn't go far enough, Like I am now convinced she is a villain. Like if there were any questions in my mind before seeing her still sort of dodge accountability, underlined the fact that she does not give a fuck, And how could you watch this thing and know what happened to these girls and hear them say like, huh, you know, like this kind of ruined my life and your answer is still but this is what the people wanted, even her thing, but this was like the scariest thing. I'm like, is this a threat Tarra? The thing she said about like are you gonna be prepared when people come for you talking to the audience, like this audience said, likely, we don't have a multimillion dollar TV show. Are you going to be prepared when they come for you? Because they are coming, or they will come for you. That statement was so defensive, and it was trying to deflect again the blame that she holds in this, and it just was so like it was almost the sort of thing that a villain in a movie would say when they're caught, they're coming for you next. And I'm just like Tyra girl like down sing. Like you said, you pointed out one of her her fashion choice, even so it made her look like a villain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the trench coat, right, like that was a wild stylistic choice. I don't know if she made that choice or style has made that choice, but that was the wrong choice. Like, the trench coat is so representative of I have something to hide, So that just visually was a mistake. But then man, she was hollow. She was so hollow in her answers. She came off as really insincere. And she's had you made the point earlier. You know, she's had five years since twenty twenty to come up with a better answer than it was a different time and everyone's getting canceled these days, and she kind of made it seem in this dock even still, Like it's a few internet trolls as opposed to a pattern of her behavior over a twenty year period of time that the broader culture is reckoning with and calling out as not acceptable. Why would she show up to this interview and not have better answers? I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that Tira either really doesn't understand that she did something wrong, right, like she really believes her bullshit, or she knows exactly what she's doing. She knows that like these answers that lack accountability are gonna get people mad and get people talking, and she's continuing to give these answers because it sparks conversation. I mean, we're talking about it now. There are three there's two documentaries in a podcast all about A and M. Tyra Banks, a show that went off years ago and premiered twenty years ago. And so I think part of that could be she knows that that, like, on the way hand, likes you know, I said I thought Tyra was maybe an evil genius, right. I certainly think Tyron knows what catches people's attention, and she knows how to hold their attention.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And she says that she's like I can sense what people want, I can taste it, you know, And she's right.
Speaker 1: She is right, And I wonder if Tyra knows that people want a villain. People want a villain, and they want her to be the villain. And it continued. It is something that continues to drive conversation around her and her show. And she's the person who hasn't been on televisioning year, she hasn't been a professional modeling years, but we're still talking about her so much. And so yeah. The other option is Tarah knows exactly what she's doing, and she knows by giving these sort of vague, hollow answers, it'll get people talking, it'll get people to pay attention. I mean, she has incentive to. I guess because of some of the news that they revealed. We're going to talk a little bit about the season twenty five hint that terrifying. I was like Tea's and twenty girl know about that a little bit more. But like maybe that's the reason she's doing the interview in the first place. Maybe that's why she's trying to get this conversation started, because now we're all gonna tune in and see has Tyra changed. It's a different time now, is it going to be different? That could be what Tyra was, or it's the opposite. Tyra really doesn't understand how callous she seems, which is possibly scarier.
Speaker 2: I'm really torn about those two and they're both bad options, Like neither of them is better than the other. But to your the thing you brought up about her saying, oh, I hope you're prepared for when they come for you to I guess the producer asking her a question about the show that she made for twenty years. It really that to me, like portrayed a deeper sort of psychology and a deeper problem that reminded me of the mom in Unknown Number, the Netflix stock the mom Kendra Lacari when she sits down for her sort of confrontation interview and she says, oh, well, who hasn't made a mistake, who hasn't had wont too many drinks but decided to drive home anyway? And it's like, well, that's not what we're talking about here. We're actually asking you about some very specific things that you did. So to deflect that and to really think you're making a smart point in that deflection almost like betray as a deeper psychological lack of connecting the dots that make me think that maybe maybe it's the former. Maybe she genuinely does not believe she did wrong.
Speaker 1: We talked about this on our season. She likes to say a lot of times that people didn't know better back then, or all of a sudden in twenty twenty. I think she says, it's in the dog verbati. I'm like, and then all of a sudden, twenty twenty, everybody's looking back at like this was really wrong or something like that. She said, I'm like, well, before it'senty twenty, the models knew it was wrong because they say so, and hm. The fact that she still doesn't address that and we're all pretending, I mean, this is extreme. I'm going to give an extreme example, right. But it's like those people who try to justify racism because it was a different time, and they'll say, oh, you're back in the forties and the fifties. It was just different, and it pretends as though there were no black people who were saying like this, was wrong. Tyra likes to put it in this thing that like nobody knew, well the very least the people you were doing this too, knew it was wrong and they said it, So why don't they count?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I came into the podcast wanting her not to be the sole villain or wanting it to be something else, But seeing her on this docuseries, I don't know if she listened to Curse of I like to think she did, But seeing her on this docuseries and knowing that she's heard these criticisms and this still being her response is just at a certain point, fan or no fan, antim lover or no antim lover at a certain point, you can't. I can't make excuses. It's just it is what it is, you know. All Right, We're back for the final part of this conversation about the Netflix stock. Tiper had a huge platform with this docuseries, and I'm not going to say I'm surprised, but I am disappointed that she didn't really take accountability in this docuseries for what went wrong on ANTM.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the biggest example of the fact that she is not taking accountability for what she what went wrong on ANTM is that this doc came out at the same time as the reboot was announced for cycle twenty five of ANTM.
Speaker 1: Have we not gone through enough? Like so, when I was watching the doc and knowing that we reached out to her, didn't get didn't response, I didn't want to do the show. And you know, it was announced that she was going to do the Netflix stock and I thought like, oh, maybe because Netflix is this huge platform. But she's she's going to do the biggest platform. If she's going to address all these things, she's gonna dress for once and for all on Netflix. Right, That's what I thought was her motivation for doing this in the first place. But by the time we got to the end of this dock where she's like, I'm not finished yet, truly terrifying words. Right by the time we get to that and she says season twenty five, I'm like, oh, Okay, this is the reason why she this is why. Yep, this was her justification because I don't think Tyr's going to do anything that's not going to benefit her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, being on this docu series was just a soft launch for the next season, something we certainly don't need for me. If there is going to be another season, I actually think Tyra should be pretty far away from it. I have a small criticism about Netflix reality shows. They're a little too earnest for me, right, Like Love is Blind is a ridiculous idea, and we're all like the way the show is shot, it's like this could actually work, and these people are for real, and this isn't the silliest thing you've ever seen, you know. I mean, even take a show like Cora, very earnest, very like sweet wholesome moments. Yeah, I think that's going to be kind of the tone of the season twenty five, a TM reboot. I think that is going to be Tyra trying to show her accountability. But the problem. One problem, we're still not going to know what's happening behind the scenes and if these contestants are being treated fairly right. Two, Tyro's sigma is already you come into it with that stigma. And then three, I think that's something you brought up when we were talking. It has a structural issue, like the show itself has a structural issues, So I'm wondering how you think they might approach that in a reboot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the structural issue that we talked about in the podcast, which is that the industry does not welcome reality TV stars. The real high fashion industry, like if these girls want to be on the cover of the industry does not welcome people from reality TV. But it's also true that the world is really different right now, Like we have Instagram models, we have different opportunities than we had twenty years ago when this show was first popular. So I think there are ways that the show can try to place them better in their careers and establish them better in their careers. That's the biggest thing that Well, there's a lot of big things they need to do. I completely agree with you that, like the best thing Tyer could do would be to put someone else in that hosting role, like put Winnie Harlowe in that hosting role and step away from the show. That would be the best thing she could do. I don't think she's going to do that because I think she wants to be in the spotlight. There's all kinds of things that I hope that they are doing better in this reboot. But the biggest thing in terms of like what was so sad in producing the podcast was hearing so many of these women who making it as a model, as a supermodel was their dream. So I do hope that the show structurally does more to place them in a successful career, in successful career opportunities after you know whoever wins Cycle twenty five. But it's a bad idea, just it's if we don't want it. I don't think I don't.
Speaker 1: Want it either. Okay, there's a few ways that I could maybe like it. Maybe one. I agree with everything you said, Tyrann needs to be fall fall fall away from this thing. But I think if they involved some of the models, like if they brought them back on to be mentors or to in some capacity, right, Like we know Kenya, who we spoke to, has like I think, a consulting agency where she works with like aspiring models. It'd be great to see her come on. Sea Harttorn said that she worked as a model for years. He's not working as a model anymore. But if they would be up for it, I would love to see them be involved in some way, whether it's judges or mentors or something like that. And obviously would love for them to be actually compensated this time. That could be interesting. One other thing though, and I completely agree with you that I don't think that Tyro's gonna stay out of the spotlight on this one. It's because it strikes me as this is Tyra's payback, right. So Tyra said on this documentary that when she originally did antm SO back in two thousand and two, this was like her payback to all of the agencies or fashion industry gatekeepers who body shamed her, who closed doors in her face, who didn't pay her as much, who basically she felt marginalized. Story right, this was her payback by having a show. They have a magazine, but she has an entire TV show like everybody seeing her. And so I thought about that in the sense of like, yes, your goal, right is to elevate people in modeling who otherwise wouldn't get an opportunity, right, or to show diverse beauty. That might have been a goal. But if your number one goal is payback, all you need to be is successful. You need to continue to be successful because the payback is your success, and you'll go through You'll take great measures to do that. And we've seen like the exploiting of a woman, the manipulation all of this stuff to continue to be successful and be on top, because that's your payback to me. Season twenty five is almost the payback to like all the people who've been calling her out. We know she's not account you know, she doesn't really actually feel accountable, at least that's not how she presents herself, so she's not like deeply sincerely sorry, right, So to me, season twenty five is almost like a payback to show y'all that like, see, I can do this, like I can I can be a good mentor I can do the actual thing I set out to do, as opposed to like, oh, I'm coming back because I still see a purpose for me in this, or I still want to help young women. I think you just want to come back to prop a point, just like creating A and TM with the proper point.
Speaker 2: Who Yeah, I think that's a really smart take, And I hope that that's not what it looks like. I hope that they reckon with the first version of A and TM at the beginning of the reboot. In some way, I feel like they have to, so I'm curious to stay with that looks like.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if it's going to work. This time, right, because not only do we have our podcast and this Netflix docuy series which is not that kind to Tyra, there's the E docu series from Blast and I Sentiment from our production company that's coming out in March that really does not do Tyra any favors that one. I think for people who or even the models themselves who feel like the Netflix doc didn't really focus enough on the models where they are what happened to them, this doc really does it, and it really sort of like brings up all of these things that you can directly tie back to Tyra, right.
Speaker 2: Uh huh. We got an early screener of the E doc that's airing in a few weeks, and you hear more from the models, and it I think brings up different points about Tyra and her involvement in the show that we didn't hear in this dock. It brings up, i think, harder points about the psyche bells, the contracts, lack of payments, the manipulation. I think it really features that side of this even more than the Netflix doc did. So I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of that and if that changes the way this reboot is going to go And if.
Speaker 1: You think about it, it's just been a constant reckoning for A and TM since our show premiere in September, right then the Netflix doc drops in February, and now this E doc on March eleven is dropping. So it's just like Tyra can't escape it. Like at every point where she's like whoo okay, the talk has died down, it's like another thing comes out that's like, ah, tying not so fast. So I just don't know if this like season twenty five reboot is gonna do what she thinks it's about to do, because people have been primed to like criticize anything Tyr's about to do, because like you've literally probably just listened to like twenty four hours of Tyra criticism. But yeah, I'm interested to see what people's reaction is to this E doc because I think there are some things that I mean, it's literally called dirty rotten scandals, Like, there are some things in that that are truly shocking, truly disturbing that happened on the A and TM set, that happened to these young women. And one of the things I'm not gonna spoil it. One of the things I like about the e doc is that you know, we had at the end of the Netflix documentary just sort of like a where are they now? Just sort of quick where are they now?
Speaker 2: It felt flat to me, like it felt tacked on at the end. It felt like an abrupt ending with the actual what we're really talking about here, which is the contestants and how the show negatively impacted their lives.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean the e doc the one coming out March eleven, that one does a really good job of sort of showing us the contestants' lives now. I think that's actually one of my favorite parts, because yeah, the Netflix socket sort of felt flat even I think if we had to taken that approach, sort of hearing that like yeah, I'm a mom, I'm a you know, yeah I have this business and whatever, it doesn't hit the same as like seeing the model with like our their teenage son, where you're like, oh my gosh, how do you have a teenager? Or seeing them work with young aspiring models, like seeing them in their element. Because I think ultimately we can't lose sight of the fact that in this story these models were affected in negative ways. But I think it's good to know that, like they still made a life for themselves and they still found a path. It may not have been modeling, but they found paths to do things that are fulfilling. And I think that the E. Dokey series just really does a great job of like driving that home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited for people to see it. We've also gotten a lot of questions, which is, are you doing another season of curself? Are you going to do another podcast series like A and TM? And the truth is, bridget you and I are scheming on something right now.
Speaker 1: Scheme, scheme, plot plot. We are working on a season two of course, I'm very excited about it. We can't quite tell you what it is, but just know there are some similar themes, yeah, and some new themes that we're going to explore with this particular thing we're taken on. So like, yeah, super excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So stay tuned, stay subscribed to Curse Off, and later this year in the summer, we show up season two.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for talking this out with me. Like, I've been talking to people about this doc and you know, it's been really cool because I'm like, yes, no, everybody is look sess like me. But like there's so many things that people just found out with the doc, right, so like I'm like, yeah, yes, yeah, yes, Sarah did that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that. Yeah, I know she said that because I'm like been thinking about it for the whole past year. So it's great to talk to you who've also been thinking about these things, so we could just like get it on the nitty gritty of like did you see how Tyra held her eyebrow up when ex well I'll season twenty four, Yeah like that. So yeah, this has been great. Thank you so much for joining me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, thanks Bridget.
Speaker 1: And that's all for this very special bonus episode. Thanks for listening to the Curse of America's Next Top Model. The Curse of America's Next Top Model is a production of Glass Podcast, a division of Glass Entertainment Group, in partnership with iHeart Podcast. The show is executive produced by Nancy Glass, hosted and senior produced by me Bridget Armstrong. Our story editor is Monique le Board, also produced by Ben Fetterman and Andrea Gunning. Associate producers are Kristin mel Carey and Curry Richmond. Our iHeart team is Ali Perry and Jessica Crincheck. Audio editing and mixing on this episode by Matt del Vecchio. The Curse of America's Next Top Model theme was composed by Oliver Bains. Music library provided by my Music and For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast. Also check out the et Glass podcast Instagram for Curse of America's Next Top Models behind the scenes content