Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 2: This was done at the highest levels cloak and dagger diplomacy. It's amazing they managed to pull it off. I mean, I think there was probably four people knew what was happening yes year, Jamon and Jimmy Dunn and Ed Hurley and that's it.
Speaker 3: I got thoughts in my head. Can't get him John and not the thing what I'm thinking about. I can't get him John not to think well I'm thinking about.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: This is Alan Chipnook back for another Fire Drill podcast. Quite a big day in professional golf. The New World Order is upon us Live Golf, the PG Tour and the European Tour emerging, many details to sort out. Many subplots have Michael Bamberger and Matt Janella the line here to help us make sense of what's really a momentous moment for the entire sport. Gentlemen, what do we think?
Speaker 4: Well, let's begin with you, Alan, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, some people may know that I've been writing a book about this whole thing. I just turned it in a couple of days. I think the last chapters are going to get tweaked a little bit, just a little. I think at first blush. This is a huge win for Live Golf. They now have access to every tour player. They're going to be on the TV tour broadcast channels. I think that this is this is Jaymonhan and the PGA Tour salvaging the best of a tough situation. I mean that the whole game was on this path of you know, mutually assured destruction. To use an old Cold War term. I mean it was it had become unsustainable that the tour was losing sponsors, a lot of the tournaments were going to wither and die. Live was entrenched his own business model that was never going to make money, and they have not been able to track any kind of audience through streaming or television, and so it was it was kind of a question of who is going to blink first, and I think they blinked at the same time and just realized, uh, we've this is like trench warfare, like both sides are just shelling each other, but no one's moving anywhere, and it's just a lot of casualties. And it made sense to to put this all back together. But you know, it's interesting that Jay Monahan is not going to be reporting to his excellency. You see all Roumayan, who's the chairman of the board of this new enterprise. You know, Jay's the CEO. But if there's any doubt about who who won this, this this war, I mean, yes, hers is the chairman of the board. He's the guy. And uh so a lot of details still to be hashed out, but I think at first blush to me, it's a monumental victory for Live and I think for the tour it makes sense. They've they've they've assured their long term future. I mean, they have now unlimited money that they can tap into, they can pay their players, they have this jazzy new product that they could slot in, and the weakest parts of the schedule on maybe some some tournaments that were struggling, the Live will just sort of take those over and and graft themselves on. And there's there's a there's there's an interesting analog to this, which is cricket. You know, I've been studying this. Cricket was much like golf, this very slow, ponderous sport, hide bound by tradition. You know, that's that's golf, right, And twenty years ago they went to this thing called t twenty which is a much jazzier, shorter, more consumable version of the sport, and the popularity exploded not just for the new kind, but it also made people appreciate the old way, and cricket massively grew its audience and reinvented itself. And you know, live live could be that. That's that sort of product which is is different. It's not for everyone. Michael's never going to watch those tournaments and that's okay. But you know, they have attracted a younger audience. I mean, according to Greg Norman. We don't have the receipts on this, but you know two thirds of the live audience is under forty five, which is massive. I mean, the PGA Tours audience is geriatric and they're always chasing those those younger, younger golf fans. So you know, I think if you look at this as you know, Greg Norman's word from the very beginning was additive. I think live golf could be additive to what the PGA Tour is doing and it might be a better sport overall.
Speaker 4: So going forward on, do you think will there never be weeks where there live events and PJ Tour events in the same week and will PJ Tour stars like Rory mcloy, will they now be able to play in live events?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. I mean they'll be a unified schedule, so they they they definitely won't be competing against each other. You know, they'll they'll they'll they'll be a they'll be It'll make sense right how they put this whole thing together and that that's a win for both sides, not to not to have tournaments on the same week. Rory is in a tough spot here. Is he going to want to play the live events and take the money and be part of the fun. I mean maybe, but he's staked out such a tough position here. It'll be up to the players. They can play that or not. I mean, if if you want to play, if you're Rory and you just want to play all the old, same tournaments you've always enjoyed, then those will be available to you. But there's gonna be this whole other tour within a tour that you know, all of his buddies are going to play, and so yeah, there's you know, ry Rory's and if if you had to make a list of winners and losers, you know Rory's probably at the top of the loser's list, and that he's staked his whole legacy on this battle and and they just kind of pulled the rug out from under him. So how he handles this will be interesting. You know, the Tiger Woods of the world, the Brandal Chamblise. You know a lot of people have been so outspoken against Live and now they are part of They are part of the PGA Tour, So everyone's going to have to make peace with that. Nat.
Speaker 4: Can I try quick one for you here, because you've been on both sides here so much. You've had this emotional distaste for the Saudi's and what they represent in terms of criminal activity, and yet the PGA Tour. You've been emotional about the PGA Tour as being this pureocratic monster with no heart.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I said along. I just didn't think there was a good guy in the room. There was no one really to root for. I had lost, borderline almost all interest in professional golf from a week to week basis. I said, majors were more major. I felt like world ranking, Uh, you know, world rankings needed to be addressed so that you know, so that people who played golf globally in the world could be accounted for. It made no sense to me. I talked to enough players who went to live Graham McDowell, Dustin Johnson, Pat Perez, Brooks, Koepka, Paul Casey, you know, Lee Westwood, on and on, and certainly understood how and why they would do what they did and how they did it. And I can see players like Rory uh and people like Tiger represented by Steinberg, who you know, corralled that that you know, collection of talent to protect the tour and protect legacy in history. You know, I saw both sides. But you know, for me, I I shifted my focus to things like, you know, I'm working on the club pro crisis, you know, followed up with a crisis on Superintendent's you know, things like municipal renovations and restorations the game of golf. To me, this is not about the game of golf. This is not about the golf that we play day in and day out, the game that we love that that you know plucks this the the you know, plucks our soul and and brings us to places like Bandon Dunes or the old course at Saint Andrew's. This is you know, quote new York Times New collectively owned for profit entity. This is about business. This is about money. This is about something that probably should have happened thirty years ago when Norman was essentially, you know, made Darth Vader of the game of golf versus Fincham in his attempt to grow the game globally. This is about the tour, not sitting down from the word go and listening to what was being offered and the opportunities that they had in front of them. We could have avoided a lot of this, you know, bitchery and bullshitty and I.
Speaker 2: Think of all the think of all the fun we would have missed out on. Matt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, look, there's you know, but I mean, honestly, you know, it took. I think it took somebody like a Jimmy Dunn, who you know you talk about blinking. I mean, Jimmy Dunn. This is a guy who you needed adults in this room, and I'm not sure there were a lot of them when there was all the mud slinging and name calling and bitchiness that was happening for the last you know, better part of whatever eighteen months. And I think of you know, I just think get on with it sorted out. I think it's better, you know, in a sense that there's going to be a ton of money. There was a ton of money being thrown around in the game of golf. There's gonna be more. And there's just no way in my mind that Jay Monahan is not in charge of this. I know what you're saying, Alan, it's a big win for Live and I know there is a role for us here, but there's no way that jaymon An's not in charge of this.
Speaker 2: Well, the Tour will have a majority of you know, the note that Monahan sent to the players said the Tour would have a majority of votes on the board and that the board, this new board of this new entity, is going to have to ratify everything. So for sure, Monahan and Ed Hurley's and the Jimmy Dunns who are going to be part of this board, they will help protect the interests of their players and as they figure out where to slot the tournaments, how the fields get organized, the Tour still has a say for sure, and they will be the administrative voice without a doubt, and the saut he has already gotten what they want, you know, They've gotten a seat at the table. This whole exercise was about being invited into the Western world and becoming legitimized and creating something that they can they can have a say in, a voice in they can bring home to Jetta as this big event, you know, kind of the super Bowl of the sport. And so they've already gotten that. So I'm sure they'll They're not going to put up a stink about whether the Kevin Struewans the world get access to these live events occasionally or the nitty gritty Jamon handbill control. There's no doubt. But the big picture, you know, I mean put it this way, like Ricky Fowler turned down seventy five million dollar offer from Live Golf, and there was a many you know, there was tons of big offers on the table to the guys who stayed loyal to the tour. And now not only did say, you know, Books got one hundred and thirty million, Dustin got one fifty, Bryson got one thirty five up front, they own these franchises, the values of which just skyrocketed because now they're going to be on network TV, these live events are going to become a big deal. They still own the franchises like that that live business model is intact.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I was talking to someone who's has a leadership role in one of these franchises and he was over the moon this morning. He's like, you know, I made I made hundred million dollars while I was sleep been last night. Because these this this this live product, it's gonna endure, it's gonna grow, it's gonna expand, and now there there is a chance for for the tour players to uh still get paid because these lift teams are gonna start recruiting. Like now everyone's gonna want Xander Softly and a Patrick can't lay and uh, you know there's gonna be this build out of these of these teams.
Speaker 1: How's John Rom gonna do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Rom's gonna do well. But you know that that that gold rush is over. You know they're they're not going to own a piece of the franchise that I mean, they'll get it, they'll get a little stake in it. But so you know, the guys who were loyal to the tour, who who did who carried the tours water the last year, it's a it's a tough pill for them to swallow today because they've they've lost out twice on the money, the upfront money and the equity of these franchises. But on the other hand, they're gonna, uh, you know, they're gonna be playing for twenty million dollars at least in these elevated events. I'm sure the live persons are going to go up. So it's not like any of the top players are going to be hurting. But you know, this is a whole thing in golf you had to pick aside and the guys who chose live today is a glorious day for them, and for the PGA Tour guys, it's it's a tough one. I think that's the bottom line.
Speaker 4: On how would that play out? If you're a Hideki or John Ram, you're absolute start of the game. The live bottle is based on here's our series, and you got to play in all of them. If you're Dustin Johnson, you're going to play in all of them. Now at these elevated events, you've got agree to play in all of them. How would that play out in twenty four beyond twenty four? If you're Adecie, can you play to some of the live events and not all the live events? How do you see that playing out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are all the details that have yet to be figured out, but I think I mean, to me, the best way to do it would be at the at these combined events, you have six live teams and then you have six tour teams and you get like six or seven or eight Ryder Cups a year where you know, you keep the the roster's somewhat intact on these live squads. And I don't think there's going to be fourteen co sanctioned events. You know, there's still maybe a handful that are just the live product where they when they go over to Singapore or they go over to Australia, and maybe that's how they reward the loyalty of the guys who signed up early. They still have a place on their tour. But if you have these mega events where then you bring in these tour teams and they can align however they want, that's one way to do it. Or you could just fully integrate the rosters and the tour guys will play and however many live events they're compelled to, whether it's six or eight or ten. But that's going to be a fundamental question they're going to have to answer is how do we let the players flow back and forth? You know, as part of the release this morning that was sent to the players, the tour players, I did say that all the guys who renounce the PGA Tour can now reapply for membership. And there was a funny line in there that Mona had said, you know, this will be a complicated process. Yeah, no, kidding Jay, But so you know, I think you'll get to see Phil play at Pebble Beach again, and you'll you'll get to see you know, some of these guys can come back to their favorite events and what the what's the minimum they're going to have to play to retain their membership. There's it's really complex how you put it all together, but you know that's what all these There's gonna be a lot of more secret meetings in the in the months ahead, but they will, they will sort it out. I think that, you know, there's gonna be a mandate from Monahan to try and try and get as many players as they can into these these live events. But it's it's by design a small limited series, so there's gonna be a lot of tension there. You know, the the Journeymen have already been left out of the PGA Tours elevated events, and now they're going to get left out of the live events, and so you know, the class warfare and professional golf is going to accelerate.
Speaker 1: I think, Michael, I know you're so used to you know, your your instinct is just to ask questions. But what do you think, Well.
Speaker 4: I think this is a really really big play by the sout He's going to the very very top MBS. I think the PGA Tour tried to get into the real estate business going back to Dean Beamon days, and wasn't very good at it, probably wasn't funded properly, probably didn't have the right creative impulse behind it. But I think that I think going right to the top, MBS is looking for a way to become culturally significant in mainstream American life. Not just have a seat on the board of any American company he wants to have, or at least, you know, be in the room if not he personally, but here or somebody else, but just become part of mainstream corporate life, which is kind of hard to do when you've had the attitudes you've had towards women, towards gays, gay people, transgender people. And it's rough for me on a personal basis because golf has always had a certain separateness to it, anotherness to it, and now it just kind of looks like everything else, you know, chasing the dollar, chasing the dollar, and so it's kind of rough to look at it that way. But you know, anybody who's made a study of the Godfather knows that you know, this is always how play. It is all business in the end and not personal. But I would say this AUDI is getting really into golf developments. Golf is part of a wellness life. People wanting people counting their steps and playing walking courses where you can count your steps and actually have fun at the same time. So I think they're going to I think this is a big, big, huge international golf Minor golf's a niche sport. But it's like, you know, why does FedEx make such a big bet on golf? It's you know, where's the NFL is the NFL and hundreds of millions of people watch the Super Bowl. You never get never will get a number like that for an LA Open, Genesis Open, and Genesis Invitational. But you're getting the people that you want to get. I think the Saudis figured out a way that they can get to the people they want to get to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a key point is that, And I get into all this stuff in the book in great detail. I mean MBS has staked his entire reign on this vision twenty thirty, which is remaking the Saudi economy and society to modernize it, to westernize it. And part of that is bringing in Western investment. You know, people always go to Saudi Arabia and they take the money. They want to bring businesses to Saudi Arabia. Like that's become a change, is that if you want to do business in Saudi Arabia, you have to have a headquarters there. Your people have to live there, because they'd always live in Dubai or they live in somewhere else, and then they fly in and do their business. They leave because it wasn't that much fun to be in Saudi Arabia if you if you're a Western, right, and so part of the impetus to all this is to make it more attractive. That's why they're building these new cities, That's why they want these big sporting events. It's like something to do. So, if you can get a couple PGA tour slash live events over in Saudi Arabia, that's a wonderful distraction for your people. And then you host the business community, you leverage all their relationships. So there's, as Michael suggests, there's some really powerful forces at play here. And it's never been really about live golf and making money or breaking even. It was a way to remake the economy. Like Saudi Arabia has fifteen hundred miles of coast land and these incredible mountain ranges. You can put some of the best golf you know, destinations anywhere if you do it right. And so if they can open up a whole tourist sector through golf instead of you know, people from London fly to Dubai to play golf at the winter because it's sunny. But I mean d you buyas this flat, crowded city, there's there's no good golf terrain there. If they can get everyone to go to to Saudi Arabia instead and stay at the resorts, and that's that's that was always worth it to lose a billion dollars on live if if they if they could turn Saudi Arabia into this golfing destination. So there's there's been this larger play here. It wasn't just about these little golf tournaments with music in the background, and so this just accelerates it. Now there now, now the PIFF has access to all of the PG Tour sponsors, to all of the relationships. I mean, this is a monumental victory for them as they're trying to reshape their economy and they're trying to become ingrained in these these these new sectors. So yeah, you have to have kind of a big picture of perspective on what's really happening here. Part of Jay's problem, you know, his messaging throughout this has been very muddled. You know, it started out with it's it's legacy, not leverage. You know, he was trying to appeal to the better angels of his golfers and say, forget the money, it's it's just all about the PG Tours are place and we'd give to charity and of course you want to be part of us. That didn't really work. All the guys went to live. So then he's his new message was, you know, you've never had to apologize for being a PGA to our member. You know, he kind of went into this business of demonizing the Saudi's that didn't really work. I just kept going to live. I mean, he finally he realized, Okay, the only way is to to he said, we're not it's arms race. We can't win it. But he tried to try to get into the arms race where he just became about money. We're you gonna try and match the dollars and through these elevated events and the PIP and all these things. But then I think he realized that's not going to work because they just have more money than we do. So there was an air of defeat I thought from Monahan, and he was trying to play nice. Uh but you know his his new boss is sitting right next to him. You know, there's there's the chairman of this new entity, Yacht's year, his excellency, who's you know. Jay would never take the phone call from, never never take the meeting from, and all of a sudden everything's flipped on him. So it's that was that was my my read. There's some funny backstory to that, is that nobody knew this was coming. I mean, I've been talking to highest level people at Live for weeks, there was no hint this was coming. And right before Yah Sir went on on that uh interview, he called Brooks, he called Dustin and he said, hey, guys, this has happening. Like there was there's no there still hasn't been any internal communication with the Live folks, at least as of half an hour ago when we started taping this podcast, Like I was, I called one of their top executives and they were saying they were watching that that that that interview with Jay and yes seriously next to other and this person said, did I take an edible this morning? Like what is happening? Like this is just impossible and so uh this this was done at the highest levels cloak and dagger diplomacy. It's amazing they managed to pull it off. I mean, I think there was probably four people knew what was happening. Yea year, jaymon An, Jimmy Dunn and Ed Hurley.
Speaker 1: And that's it.
Speaker 2: I was texting with Peter Malnaughty, who's a member of the board of directors of the PGA Tour, and he I said, can we talk. He's like, I'm too stunned to even articulate any thoughts right now. It's just like even people in the inner sanctum of the PGA tour were caught off guard by this. So it's it's a it's a wild development. I mean, Monahan's going to host a a meeting, the player meeting this afternoon. It's Tuesday here and at the Canadian Open. That's going to be wild and rowdy and things will start leaking out after that. But can't emphasize enough that this this was a highly secretive endeavor and it was it was basically done between Monahan and yes Year, And you know Greg Norman didn't know this was happening, even when right before that CNBC spot, yes Year are called called Greg to tell him. So it's it's in the annals of of big time, you know sports thunderbolts like this is near the top, Like this came out of nowhere for even the players involved and the key people on the ground.
Speaker 4: Well, that just you've had such a good feel for club pros, the public game. You grew up playing public courses. You play a public course in San Diego. How do you think this is going to play out? Which is ordinary everyday golfers.
Speaker 1: Oh, I just think I think people don't give is don't give, you know, I just I don't think. I think a lot of the people I hang around with feel the same way that I do, which is it's all just a bunch of petty bitchiness amongst like really wealthy people who are getting wealthier. And I think there was a general sense of disconnect from day to day, shot to shot, you know, tournament to tournament, trophy to trophy, check to check, you know, I just I don't think the game was was looking very good by having you know, a right and a wrong and who was right and who was wrong could be debated over and over, and it was playing out social media, was playing out around you know, fire pits or on first tees or you know, twelve greens. It just was happening, and I think people are just tired of it. It seemed very obvious to me neither model, you know, neither model was sustainable. We know, we've heard from tournament directors about the tour actually kicking in the extra money to make elevated events elevated, So where was that money going to come from? Down the road. We've heard from tournament directors and sponsors that they were you know, the the return on an investment wasn't going to match, you know, the sort of the numbers. It was a numbers game was not coming out the right way. Tiger's gone, you know, the game Phil is essentially gone, you know, to a certain degree or close to it at the age of you know, fifty two, fifty three years going on fifty three years old. So I mean something had to give here, and we were going to come to some court cases in which a lot of ugly, you know, details and information were going to come out that a lot of people probably didn't want to have, a lot of important people were being deposed. And the fact is Jay didn't take the meeting and he represents the players, and that's that from the very get go, was a big, big problem. So I mean, you know, one plus one equals two, and this is a numbers game. And I'm just I think what people are mostly shocked about is that it happened as fast as it did the way it did. Right now in the middle, we're into the season, we got two majors to go in, a Ryder Cup coming, and it just it just happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this is I mean, the Ryder Cup becomes very interesting, like especially on the European side, because they had through these fins, they had forced out this whole generation of potential captains and players. All of a sudden, does you know, Sergeio he's not playing great, but if he gets hot here this summer, do they after all the all the bitterness and hard feelings. You know, John Ron wants him. They went three and zero at the last Ryder Cup as a team. You know that poor Luke Donald's gonna have to sort out that stuff. What's gonna are they going to give Heiner extension? Is captain c back in two years but they took away?
Speaker 4: I mean there's.
Speaker 2: Well this is probably not appropriate thing to say, but they're gonna be like a truth and reconciliation process, you know, like some of these countries after they go through civil wars where they have there's a tribunal that has to sort out all these complex issues because there's a lot of stuff happened that that's it's been bruising and you know Pelly had to take a hard line. He was trying to trying to save his tour in a tough situation. But now after you look at how how much the European tour is withered without any of their stars. It's like, does he need you know, Paul Casey and Ian Poulter at Lee Westward when they when they're playing in England? Obviously? Does he? Does he need Martin Kaimer for the German Open? Of course? Does does he need Sergeio with the Spanish Open?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Like so, uh, they're gonna what happens.
Speaker 1: To Keith Pelly, what happens to the DP World Tour? Like everything just bumps bumps down?
Speaker 4: Is this?
Speaker 1: This is There's going to be so much ripple effect and fallout from this, and it's going to keep going and going.
Speaker 2: I think this actually helps European Tour because it was it was it was slowly dying right late. They they'd already committed to sending their ten best players every year to the PGA Tours. As part of this new alliance, I mean, they'd just become a feeder tour for for the for the PGA Tour. And I think that now they can they can get they can get some of their old stars back. I think they can they can leverage a couple of these live events as part of their own schedule. I think it'll probably help them, because you know it was if you looked at who at their fields this year, there's been nobody of consequence playing in their tournaments, and I think this gives them a way back. pH Nominally, I don't think they're going to be a huge player in this, but they'd already kind of hitched their wagon to the PGA Tour just to survive during this turbulent period, and now the tours is going to continue to look after their interests with more Saudi money with these new tournaments, and I think it's a small win for for Europe, but we'll see how it plays out.
Speaker 4: Now this is not really at all the most important thing, but I am interested. The PGA Tour persons have increased greatly because there was competition. Now there is no competition. The competitors have combined. So what where would the leverage come from to increase purses in the future, Like there's nowhere else to go now there's just this one outfit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's not leverage as partnership. So that's going to be part of the deal, Like the PIFF is buying into this new entity, and that's going to be part of the promise. Like Okay, We've given you what you craved. You're now part of the golf ecosystem. In return, you need to commit to bumping up our purses ten percent every year for the next you know, decade or whatever it is. Like it is just going to be written into this new alliance. And so they don't need competition. They now have. They now have the public Investment Fund, which is gonna be worth a trillion dollars by twenty twenty five, floating the whole thing. So, I mean, there's the last chapter of my book. I was kind of forecasting what was going to happen, and there's a great line from Pat Perez. He said to me, you know that the PGA tours fucked because their whole model is about squeezing more and more money out of these corporations that are getting tired of being squeezed. He said, yeah, our money comes out of the ground.
Speaker 4: And and so, uh, if the piff Numbers people say, you know what, we're putting all this money in the game, We're not making anybody back. We're doling out too much money in person money and prize prize money. We're just cutting it all in half. What's to stop them from doing that. Where where could the guys go.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, they're not going to do that because Yair runs the PIFF. He's the top guy at the public investment fund. He's also the chairman of a Ramco, which is the world's most profitable company, so he controls the purse strings and he's all in on this like this is his been his baby from the beginning and now he's the chairman of this of this new entity. He's on the board of directors like he's the guy unless there's some major shakeup, you know, uh from his patron, the Crown Prince Mohammad ben Salmon, Like you know, they're committed there. They're going to be committed in writing to these things. So and that was always a talking point from tour loyalists is oh, the PIFF could just lose interest and the whole thing could go away. But that's live. Live Golf has been hiring fifteen people a month, like they've been ramping up this whole time. There's the there was this move to become a little more fiscally responsible and to keep track of the money. But they've never wavered. You know, the PIFF has never wavered in its commitment and so they're not going anywhere and they have the purse strings. And you know, now, now it becomes an easier sell for jam on hand because he was trying to sell a diminished product. Like you know, I come back to Pebble Beats. You know, we'd get three stars every year, Phil, Dustin and Jordan Speith and and Pebble Beats lost two out of those three. Now how happy was at and t you know, not very but now you can you can sell the game. It's like we're getting Cam Smith back, We're getting Dustin, We're getting Brooks, who's the dominant player in the sport. We're getting all these guys back. And I think that'll make you know, the approach to corporate America a little bit easier. And again, the tour was not going to be able to keep getting twenty twenty five million dollars from corporations every year to fund these elevated events. It just wasn't going to happen. Now they can go back to it, say hey, give us ten or fifteen like you used to do. The PIF will fill on the rest. You get the energy of the elevated event and all the activations and so it becomes easier to sell the corporate America, not harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the corporation becomes Saudi Arabia, so the piff becomes the the piff as it was. Actually what you're saying. They bridge the gap, they connect the dots and everyone plays in the same sandbox. Literally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like there was this news break about AT and T pulled out of the Byron Nelson. That was a big deal. And then Raytheon Corporation was going to come in as the sponsor and Monahan nicks the deal because Wraitheon sells missiles to Saudi Arabia, which is approved by the State Department. It was a weird bit of you know, very true signaling by the commissioner. Well, now all these companies that have always wanted to do business in Saudi Arabia, but maybe they were they were squeamish, Like now they want they're going to start sponsoring tour events because that's how they can they can bridge that gap like they want to. They want to get into the Saudi markets. Sponsor, sponsor one of these events, take all your people over there, meet everyone. The amount of business is going to get done in these corporate chalets is monumental and uh so it's ironic because the tour had made Saudi money so toxic. But that's what's gonna that's the whole calculus just changed.
Speaker 1: But but but again, the underlying hypocrisy to all of that, anyway was what kept getting thrown into you know, Brandle and Aiman's face on a regular basis, which is, all of these corporations have been doing big business with Saudi Arabia, including the United States of America for years now. So what what like that? That was just the underlining underlying hypocrisy to all of it. To me, that just okay, what about ism, No, it's just hypocrisy, That's what it is. That's the facts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this this is this has been a clarifying moment. And you know it, as Michael said earlier, in the end, money always wins. The money remains undefeated.
Speaker 1: It's business.
Speaker 2: Uh it's it can be it can be disheartening that that, but that's just the world we live in. And you know, Monahan finally realized that and so that that's that's that's one of the headlines from today is like money remains undefeated again.
Speaker 1: I I again, and Michael like I think this is where you got you and I always sort of you know, parted ways was on the on this sort of topic, which was the PGA Tour, and the professional game just simply isn't as pure and beautiful and what we know to be the game that has given us all of these incredible moments, memories, camaraderie and friendship and travel and culture. And you know, you know it's too they are now talk about bifurcating the game. This is the ultimate bifurcation to me, in that it's very clear that the professional game is now the professional game, and it is money because it has been and needed to be more and there was a disruption that undermined the model. But in the meantime, like we still have the game. We still have the game that we know and love. We still have opportunities to take the buddy's trips and do what we do and play municipal golf, and you know, you know, you know what I mean. In my mind, it's like I'm just glad it's over with, get on with it, do your money thing, and I'll watch when I want to watch, or don't watch when i want to watch, and I'll always have that choice. But the game is my game. The game we love my game, which is you know, the one that I try to play and perfect and get better at, is still here.
Speaker 4: It's well said. And you know, to combine two thoughts from both of you, Alan, when you mentioned the raytheon thing that was only what maybe two weeks ago? Is that on that shows you know, that shows you that this was not And I don't think Jay would have done what he did then had he known this was coming. And then to Male's point, there was a lot of nasty stuff that was going to come out of the of this legal process. Uh and that may have of course tipped the PG two it realizing that we don't have the cards here Jay already said from day one, don't have the money. All right, Then if you don't have the money, do you have the court system? Maybe maybe not? Uh So, then you've got to do you know the calculus of modern life, the legal system, money, public opinion. And then you know, if if the if the cost for that is talking back. What does that phrase people say they take? They take, you know, they walk back, walk apart, they walk back something. Well, there they're going to be walking back for the rest of their lives, but they don't have a choice.
Speaker 2: Well, so, yeah, I mean there's there's a few things going on here that there was There was the anti trust lawsuit and the tour countersuit against Live and that was headed to the Supreme Court. Like you know, they were fighting about whether whether ya here could be deposed and there was some thinking that you know, Live kept losing all these all these battles that that at some point they were just going to pull the plug on the whole lawsuit because they they don't want to open the books the public Investment Fund and get into the have that come to light a day. So that was a big thing. But then the Department of Justice separately was doing its own anti trust investigation and that last summer that was that was going gangbusters. And then the lawsuits began and the Department of Justice kind of stepped back said, Okay, we'll let the courts decide this. But as as all these procedural matters kept playing out, and the date of the lawsuit got bumped from you know, twenty twenty three, you know it was gonna be in September of twenty three, that it was going to be in January twenty four. Then it was of May twenty four, it became clear these lawsuits were years and years away. The Department of Justice re engaged and they they they were doing a lot of interviews with players, agents, officials, and like Carlos Muno is one of the live players. He told me like they took his phone and I'm sorry, Carlos Otz, excuse me. At Carlo Sotiz, they took his phone and they asked the passwords and they say before before they they say, don't delete anything. We find it anyway, and then he just looked guilty, and he's like they take it for five or six hours, and they extract everything you've ever thought or said or written, and they know your whole life. And that's obviously uncomfortable. If you're if you're Phil Nicholson, if you're if you're a J. Monahan, Which phone did they take a filled?
Speaker 1: How many?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you got turned over all six of them and so so yeah, nobody wanted these things to play out. They were all going to lose. And meanwhile, the you know, the partners at these law firms bill in two thousand dollars an hours, like the legal fees were going to run into the tens of millions of dollars if they haven't already. So making all that stuff go away was in the best interest of both sides. You can't underrate how important that was because that was this giant stink cloud and it was like the storm on the horizon. But it was getting closer. Now the Department of Justice was re engaging. Those are not people you want to mess with. So to your point, Michael about why now, I think I think the Department of Justice getting more aggressive and more active. That's part of it. I think having a losing Honda and losing AT and T as sponsors and some of these other corporations pushing back with Monahan and him realizing, you know what, this is not sustainable, Like we've tapped our reserves to get through this this wartime era of twenty twenty three. What are we going to do in twenty four If we're losing sponsors and we've made these commitments, where's the money going to come from. I think Live Golf was realizing like, okay, we launched. That was a monumental achievement, and they've gotten some traction. You know, they had big crowds in Australia. They had big crowds in Tulsa, they had really nice crowds in Singapore. I think it was catching on as this kind of fun, different, in person experiential event. But their ratings were so bad on the CW that they stopped reporting them because it was embarrassing, and they were just not able to scale their audience whatsoever. And so how you know it was it was seemed like a big deal to get a t to get a TV contract on a decent network, but it was it was failing miserably. So I think it was just this confluence of events where both sides realized, they looked around and said, we just can't keep going like this. It just doesn't make sense. And once they actually got in a room or at least got on a zoom, clearly it happened very quickly. But you know, there there's this letter that I reproduced in my book that goes back to the spring of to April of twenty twenty one when the Saudis first approached Monahan and to try and forge some kind of compromise. That was that was their aim, although there was a sort of built in threat about they were going to launch anyway with or without you. But you know, Monahan never acknowledged it. And you know, he went to his ensuing board meeting and said, we're at war, you know, we're at war with these guys, and and that was he he kind of escalated it. And in the end he didn't have the artillery to keep it going. You know, it became a war of attrition, and it was clear that that the tour was not gonna be able to keep going. And I think that as soon as they realized that, as soon as they were honest with themselves, that the need for a compromise accelerated.
Speaker 1: I will say, I mean, Alan Schipnok. I'm just not sure there's anybody who knows more about all of this than you do. I mean, and the idea that you hit send on this book that is all about the fight for the soul of the game on Sunday and this is Tuesday, is just mind bending to me. I mean, winners and losers here, obvious winners, Saudi Arabia, obvious winners, Greg Norman. He gets one over on Tim Finch. Finally, after thirty years, he gets it up and over on Fincham Phil Mickelson over Tiger Woods. Like John Ram, you know, it comes out looking good in that he he he didn't take the money, but he also sort of, you know, played the role of like I'm you know, I'm just I'm just focused on on my game and what i want to do, and I picked this tour and I'm not bad mouthing or being bitchy to anybody. Rory gets absolutely rode a tiled here, uh and again and again for being for being a good, you know, loyal and willing to be the face. I mean, if I'm Rory, I am pissed, pissed, and sure.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have I wouldn't agree on the Phil Tiger part because Phil has shown that he's all about the money and Tiger and this is this is why sports fans respond to athletes for being athletes. Tiger has been, he really has been all about I went eighty two fucking PGA Tour events and you not taking that away from me?
Speaker 1: Well, no, you can never do that. You can never compete there. But I you know, look, well Tiger Tiger, and he's just in a whole different category. But certainly Phil gets a win here, a big, big win. And obviously we've learned a lot about Phil and we're going to continue to do so. And there's another book coming and everything is what it is, and I think everybody now knows a lot more about the real Phil. And I think that always bothered Tiger is that Tiger took the heat for being who he was and Phil got skated on sort of being who he was. But that that's definitely out now. However, this is a win for Phil Well.
Speaker 4: I mean Alan wrote this, you know, half a year or more ago.
Speaker 2: Was Phil right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Phil was right? What Phil said. I when I'm ran Allen's book hit the Phil book in Manuscript Forum and it had that stuff in there about you know, Phil calling Alan and thought saying what he said and then Alan using it didn't make that much impact on me because I just thought, yeah, he is right. And so to your point, Matt, he has been proven correct that there was another way to look at this whole ecosystem, whether you like it or don't like it. That's another thing, you know, for those of us who are you know, idealists about life and golf, the whole thing doesn't really it doesn't set right. But if you think the fight is bad for golf, then at least this means the end of fighting. Well that's good. I mean, you know, Japan was our sworn enemy what seventy years ago. Now they're one of our best friends in the world, so you know, things can change over time.
Speaker 1: Well, the other thing is is I have to think that the PGA Tour, watching Augusta National and the PGA Championship and going that majors are way more major and that's where the best are coming together and the players Championship minimalized without the defending champion like you know, and the RNA saying, you know, and the USO we will remain opens because that's that's what they're going to do. Everything again, everything led to this. It was gonna come to this, and Alan, you know, per what you were saying, you had sort of reported and had foreshadow like it was coming. I think the bigger shock is that it just happened. That it happened right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean why now? I mean the Masters and the PGA Championship are part of that story. I mean the Sunday at Augusta was the highest ratings they had in years. People were tuned in, they're they're the majors had become must see because it was the only time you get all the top players, and for the PG Tour not to have access to Brooks Koepka, who is clearly the alpha of the entire sport, it just made no sense. And you know him him winning wasn't that's an important milestone. It's like, clearly these guys their games were not going to degrade. As if people had feared they they were, they were not. They had not stopped trying because they they'd gotten some some guaranteed money like the best players in every sport get, and so that that's another brick in the wall. If uh, you know, Brooks kept me winning the PGA Championship is looking even more impactful than it did a few weeks ago.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 2: Phil finishing second at the finishing second. Yeah, I mean the film factor here is really interesting. But getting back to Tiger and Rory, like, how can how can how can the game? How can this new entity make things right to them? Well, you know, there's still a room for a couple more franchises on liv Golf you could get you could get two more groups out in a shotgun to make it work. So I think there's zero doubt that both Tiger and Rory will be offered a franchise. Now, whether they're gonna want it or not, they both have plenty of money in the bank. But it becomes it becomes a very interesting subplot, and in some ways it's it's the best thing that could have happened for them because they could have never benefited from from live golf the way they'd stake their whole legacies. Now they can say, hey, this is the this is the PGA Tour event. I'm just part of of the PGA Tour. I want to support these new events. It's good for golf. There's a little wiggle room that can bring them back, and they can. They can cash in. And so I don't think the I don't think. I don't think we know yet. I mean they're both businessmen, right like they and I think so are they.
Speaker 1: I don't know, they're they're golfers, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: They just founded this hockey league, you know, the tech in future?
Speaker 1: What happens to them, what happens to the simulator League?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the TGL. I mean, well now they can now they can they can get Dustin, they can get Brooks, they can get cam Smith, I mean it probably helps them. You know the problem for the PGA Tour was that they had they had good golfers, they didn't have any real stars I Meanders, they had guys left there was they had no edge. I mean Xander Softly a super nice guy. Patrick Cantley nice player, but like they don't Colin, you know, like will z al Torres. I mean, come on, like Rom has a presence. Rom has elevated himself through all of this with his play and with his diplomacy. But you know Scotty Scheffler, like incredible golfer, but you know, boring his heck like and he's probably even said heck because it's too strong a word for him. Like, you know, the tour badly needed an infusion of personality and pizzazz and they just they just got it. I mean they they just did. And if you look at this from the perspective of a fan, I think this is this is gonna be great for fans. Are getting all players back. This this this weirdness of this period is going to dissipate. They're going to get these these new events that could be fun. Like I've been in in the very small minority here I really like the team component on LIV. I've been. I've enjoyed following it. I think at the tournaments it looks cool, all the guys in their uniforms. When you're out there, you can feel it's a palpable thing. Like I've been. I've been in scoring tent plenty of times now where everyone's looking for their teammate, which you shoot, you know, what's your number. It's like when you're it's like when you're playing at a you know a member guest, and you're you're following the scores of your buddies. Like so, I think this team thing could could really help golf because the last thing we need is more seventy two hole stroke play. It's just it's so tedious, I I said.
Speaker 1: I said a long time ago after the Zerk Classic, brilliant move pivoted team event right two man team. It's differentiated itself, just like you know certain tournaments and courses have always different you know, at and T has always been the celebrity prom it's the clam bake. Great, okay, I said alone. Why wouldn't Why wouldn't all the lower level events create a similar team event type feel so that the guys like Xander and Kenttley who like playing together could always play together in a series of four to six team events, and you have a simultaneous sort of team event running, you know, a parallel to the PGA Tour season. So there's something else to be following while these team events are unfolding. Well again, you know, how about Andy Gardner from the Premier Golf League, who came up with this whole kind of concept that the Saudi's then stole that now is in line now with the poor how about poor Andy Gardner's got to be going like, uh, you know, I did kind of come up with this whole plan and they never met with Poor Andy. Poor Andy has got nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's and he's sort of one of the tragic figures in my book because he he literally sketches out in these legal notebooks and this idea that he came up with ten years ago as it sneaked its way through the entire ecosystem of golf and now it's it's gone big time. But you know what Live tried to do, and they've had some successes building these team identities regionally, you have the All Ossi team, you have you know, a Spanish speaking team, you have you have an all South African team, and now that the volume just gets turned way up on that. You know, Hadeki had a huge offer from Live he turned down. But if you can, if you can anchor an all Asian team, like how much how much appeal could that have if you take one of these events and you play it in Japan like you saw him and Live went to Australia, it was a big deal. And the Ousti guy is worth the center of all of it, Like, there is an idea there that can work.
Speaker 1: And how about Jordan, Justin, Ricky and Smiley Kaufman back in with Tiger as the captain of the franchise?
Speaker 2: Yes Break twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: This back your team is literally spring Break. All the people who've been constantly making fun of this team event and the names and the logos, I mean, have some it's coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be. It could be fun. And you know, to the earlier discussion about Tiger versus Phil, I mean, part of the model for Live Golf is that the captains, some of these captains were going to transition out of playing and just become like general managers. You know, no one expected Phil was going to keep playing forever, but it would be his team. He would run it. He would he would pick the players, he would make the trades, he would create a developmental system to harvest young talent. So you could still have Tiger and Phil competing against each other through these teams. I mean, there, it could actually be fun.
Speaker 1: How about a final four of the team and the team versus team. It's college golf meets PGA Tour. I mean, the possibilities here are actually endless and exciting. Now that we're sort of jumped this little hurdle of of you know, hypocrisy and political bullshittery and financial greed and craziness and ego maniacal you know, back channels and private meetings and and I'm going to say this, but really mean this, and oh shit, now I got an egg on my face. I mean, all of this comes to a screeching halt.
Speaker 2: Well, that was part of the problem, and it's part of American life.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: You have to stake out a position, you have to defend it to the death. There's no room for nuance or for you can't change your mind, then you're a you're a flip flopper. It's the worst. It's you know, that's what loses presidential elections when you get called the flip flopper. Well, a sign of intelligence is when you're presented with new information that you can you can synthesize it and maybe maybe change your thinking. And you know, everyone had to hate the team events because they were they were pro tour, anti live. But the team stuff's fun and it could really work. And the event at at DAL last year was the best event of the year. And if you followed it closely, it was cool. I mean you had they were playing individuals and teams at the same time. You had you had Phil versus Cam Smith. That had a lot of meaning. You know, in the end, the whole thing came down to Dustin and Cam Smith on the last hole. Doesn't had to make this putt to win the team event, and.
Speaker 1: Like it was, it was.
Speaker 2: It was the one live event that started. Even even the tour loyalists on social media and stuff, I could detect some energy They're like, oh, this is interesting, and so yeah, now it's going to be okay to to embrace the team stuff and and the whole the products were already converging, right, I mean, the Tour deciding the elevated events were gonna have no cut. That was just a nod to reality that people want the stars to be there and if you're asking companies to put this money in, you don't want Rory or whomever to miss the cut and be gone on the weekend. And so like like Andy Gardner slashed the PGL slash the golf and figure this stuff out, and it incorporated it and and now that you know, now it's just going to become codified and what the PGA Tour is and it just makes sense. All the stuff makes.
Speaker 1: Sense and could have all been avoided. It could have, but it's but it needed it, you know, the tour needed it. That's why that's why I said what I said early on. I like that that there's a disruptor because at the end of the day, we're going to end up with a better product. That was the hope that at the end of the day, there's going to be a week where we might actually be able to watch a broadcast of what we call the PGA Tour or Professional Golf without having to hear this non stop complaint noise about what it is that we're being served as a weekly product.
Speaker 2: It also just eliminates some total ridiculousness, like the Ryder Cup is the US against Europe. It existed for fifty years, whether the European Tour was even created, and somehow the tours have attached themselves to the right cup, like these parasites to sucking all the money out of it. But I mean, why can't Lee West would be a captain, He'd be a great captain. Why can't Surge you a team of John Ram Like all all this stuff had been grafted on to these events that didn't have to be there. And you know this, this this resolution just eliminates, like the world ranking it was was to become a joke. It'd become it become totally irrelevant. And yet they were fighting tooth and nail to keep live out just because they felt like they had to and they were trying to be loyal to these other interests. Like now the world ranking can just make sense again. You know it's there was so much tortured thinking because everyone had to pick a side and they had to they had to somehow defend it, and it was it was it was getting in the way of common sense and what's good for golf fans and what's good for the sport. So that's the best part of all of this is now things can just make sense again, and players can play where they can play golf, and and all the other pieces fall into place. So it is it is as a fan, as an observer, it's a relief that we can we can get away from some of the nonsense. I agree with that for sure.
Speaker 4: What do you think this means for Brandal's future is You're going to be really happy saying this guy on Golf Channel, Uh, you know year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I like Randall. I think he's really good at his job. He staked out a very specific position and it was defensible. You know, he he was you know when when the Saudi International went on the European tour schedule, he spoke out against that. You know, he's he's been consistent all along, and but I think he's gonna have to modulate some of his rhetoric and he's gonna he's gonna have to eat a little ship for a while because everyone else just decided he was wrong. I'm not saying he's wrong or right. I think what what he said is has been has been on point. In a lot of ways, but there's been so much of it and same same with Emon. I mean, they've just come back to it over and over. It's become it's become the defining part of their professional lives in some way, and definitely the landscape has changed. But you know, they're interesting characters in you know, they're both in the book as well. It's like, I don't begrudge them for having a strong point of view, but they it turns out that you know that the money interests are have overwhelmed any talk of morality, and so it doesn't make them wrong, but it means that that they chose the wrong side and it's gonna be a little complex to work their way back.
Speaker 1: I think that's I think that's very well said. They're not they're not wrong. They just you know, money always wins, follow the dollar. It's a business. And you know, again, I think Brandle has a very critical role in this game. I've never worked with anyone who you know, spends more time preparing, who can articulate a point the way he can on a regular basis. And I give him a lot of credit for taking a stand the way he did and how he did it. But you know, the business of golf and the business of professional golf a you know one out. I mean you can't, you can't. This is not about morality. It never was. This is not about actually being true right versus wrong. This is business and that's what just transpired.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's interesting too because you know, if when you when you get into the debate about right and wrong, I mean, was was the murder of Jamal Kashagi abomination? No one disputes that, even the guys who play on the lif golf have said as much. But I mean, so so was what what the US government did at Abu grab And you know, the extra judicial drone bombings from Barack Obama, Like our American foreign policy is not pure, it's not clean, and so when and that's you know, Keith Pelly said this to me, like when the europe the European Tour would have gone out of business a long time ago. The European Tour would have gone out of business a long time ago if if they didn't they didn't play in in China and Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates and Turkey and Qatar and and all these places that have very questionable human rights records, and so it's always been a business It's always been a business decision for golf, and we got into this very tortured debate that kind of overwhelmed all the conversation around Live. But it's you know, sports has has voted on this a long time ago. I mean that's why we you know, Russia hosts the Olympics, that's why the Olympics go to China. Like sports has been okay with going to these parts of the world for a very long time. I mean the Olympic Games in Berlin in nineteen thirty six. Like this, this is an old debate that it's always come back to the same answer is that, you know, sports can be a force that opens up the world. That's always what the Live guys said. People roll their eyes, but you know, if Saudi Arabia does want to modernize, if it does want to change, if they are actively trying to to become a different place, it's more more incorporated the Western world. I mean, the PGA Tours is cann be part of that, whether whether people like it or not. And so it's it's definitely a very interesting subtext to all of this but I just feel like the debate was settled a long time and if we're gonna, if we're gonna host Olympic games in Russia while they're invading Crimea, Like you know, sports fans have kind of they've they've said all along, we don't care. We just want our sports, we want to watch, we want to watch, and we're not going to get bogged down by the details. And again, is that right or wrong, that's for someone else to decide. But that's just it just is, like that's it just is. And so this is just another step in that direction. But I mean half of the English Premier soccer teams are owned by Middle Eastern countries now, and you know, the fans, they if your team is not owned by one of by one of those interests, you're upset because you don't have the war chest to sign players. And like, I think sports fans voted a long time ago that that they just want sports to keep going and all these other things. They don't want to get bogged down.
Speaker 1: In a new collectively owned for profit entity, period, end of story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's an important evolution for the PGA Tour because as as a nonprofit, they were they were limited in what they could do, and there's been you know, there were talks back last summer between Tiger and Rory and the guys that reigned Capital, like what if what if we change the whole model where we could be for profit, because then you can sell, you can bring in equity partners, you can you can do all kinds of things. It was it was probably an outdated model that had to change, and it just took it just too a thunderbolt like this. And so it gives a tour a lot more flexibility going forward business wise and how they can, how they can sorry, sorry you. By getting out of that charitable model. They can still give all the money they want to charity, but they do become much more flexible as a business.
Speaker 4: Alan. But now, as I read that release today and maybe nderstand this correctly, I thought that, well, just to read it straight from it separately, PJ Turing will remain in place as a five O one C six tax exempt organization that retains administrative oversight of events and those assets contributed by the PHA Tour. So does that mean the PJ Tour events that we've known for a long time will continue to be not for what tax part of a tax exempt system. Was unclear on that at all. Is the whole umbrell a thing now a for profit business or is there this separate thing, the PJ tour events that sort of goes down it's old path.
Speaker 2: I think they're good. I think it's the latter where I mean the tours. The tour has just been this umbrell organization, like every tournament is its own entity that has its own charitable you know, apparatus that runs the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Is they always say you can't get the volunteers without that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So so I think that model will remain in place where these these events will will continue to be run locally and the money will go to the local charities. But as they integrate the live events and this larger schedule, that's going to become a for profit business. And so it sounds like it's kind of the best both worlds for the tour where they they can still keep the local control of their old traditional events, but now as they embark down this new road, this parallel organization will have a lot more flexibility and how it runs its business, you know.
Speaker 4: And that even though live golf has been a disaster for the ratings disaster, and it's very limited sample that we have on the CW we did we have seen growing fan interest in terms of people actually showing up for tournaments, and it may indicate that young people, especially who didn't you grow up with the game as the three of us did, really don't care whether it's fifty four holes or seventy two holes, really doesn't care if a shotgun or not. Just want to have a good time and see competitive golf. As Allan is seventy times. It's still a guy over at golf off plan a shot, you know, and it's still a very difficult thing to do well. So maybe that was part of the tea in addition to the court system and other things that play here, that might have been a very big reality check for the for the PGA Tour. Along the same lines of the part of me when Callaway bought Top Golf, who would have expect to glorify driving rangers would become the engine of your business, this big business that made golf clubs. But that's what's happened, because you know, that's what young people want.
Speaker 1: Young people remember when Top I remember when Top Golf came out, it was all everyone was allergic to it, acting as though that's not golf, that's not you know, that's not green grass, that's not Now there's more people playing non green grass golf than there is playing green grass golf. You know, if you can't beat them, join them again. Business. Never underestimate the power of the dollar I have.
Speaker 2: I have four teenagers and they're their friends are like my focus group on all of this because some of them are into golf, and they're way more into live golf than the PGA Tour because Lives has much better social media stuff. It's much larger on TikTok. They they're they're better on Instagram than the tour. And they they like the they like the music, they like the whole thing. And that's been very eye opening for me to realize, like they they've bought into what's being sold and they they they it resonates with them and Live has done a good job catering to that market. And again Live has never really shown the receipts. We don't know where the data is derived from, but but they always say that two thirds of their audience is forty five and under it. You can't underestimate how important that is and even if it's not a huge audience, that's what everyone's been chasing forever. And if they can, if they can continue to grow that that becomes that was. That's a powerful force. And now the tour can tap into that. I mean that it's like people our as are always going to watch golf or older. But if you can get people that like my kids' aides, that that's the whole business right there. And Live Live was making inroads and I think the tour recognized that the.
Speaker 1: PGA Tour gets a fresh scorecard, a shedding of this old white fuddy duddy skin that they needed to shed a long time ago. This is you know, we've got, you know, on the heels of COVID and a resurgence of the amateur sort of you know game as we know it gets to just we get to like stop, you know, you know, we get to stop talking about all of this stuff and get to like you know, of ranking the best. We get to root you know, we get to see Patrick Reid versus Jordan Spieth on a regular but we get to see good guys versus bad guys kind of stuff again on a regular basis. Instead of what was going to be four times a year. I mean, oh, it's like one big sort of ayahuasca, you know, purgeon of all of this stuff. And let's move on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Trump, Well so that's interesting. I mean he's got a lot of other yeah, but he now has he has two more live events on his courses. And you know, all he's ever wanted was to be the warm embrace of the golf world. The RNA won't go to Turnberry, the PJ of America took away the PG Championship, the Tour took away his derial event. I mean, he's been completely shut out of the game, and now all of a sudden he's back the PGA Tour schedule. It's good for Trump for sure. Whether it's good for golf and that's the separate issue. But he's he's gonna he's going to be loving this, and he did. You know, we've talked about this. Trump has a he has this some kind of genius where he can predict the future right, like he said it, I could I could shoot a guy on Fifth Avenue and my supporters wouldn't care. I mean, he was right about that. Well, you remember his tweet about he said all these PG tour guys. They should go to live and take the money now because when the merger comes, they're not going to get anything. I mean, he tweeted that months ago. He was right, So he's gonna he's going to be delighted by this whole thing. Let me let me just address I've art. I mean, my social media has been hilarious this morning. Is this the most important question all this is it's good or bad for my book? Right, Like, let's let's get down to the real core issue here. But it's so funny. I turned it in two nights ago, and uh, it was a monumental f to get to the finish line. Clearly, there's gonna be some there's gonna be some new stuff on the last chapters out the window. But I I'm happy it happened when it did, because if if all this stuff came down is after the book was printed, that would be really sad. So I will be reporting my bottom off here and get the inside scoop on how all this played out and everything that led to this moment is so germane. I mean that there's there's there's so much backstory and what was really happening by in the scenes. It's in the page to the book. So I'm choosing to look on the bright side that the timing it wasn't too late, and it kind of puts a bow on the whole thing, and this will be the definitive account of how it all played out. So the comments on my Twitter have been been quite funny. I'm not sad, I'm not curled up in the feudal position. I'm not in a dark room like Aaron Rodgers for three days like it's all good. This is this puts an exclamation point on this whole crazy project. So I just carry on.
Speaker 1: When you hit send, honest like, you know, what part of you felt like something like this might happen between the time you hit send and the time it actually, you know, was printed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. I mean the whole last chapter was kind of looking into the future, and I do talk at length about why it makes sense for a merger to happen and how it could look. So this is not a total shocker, and I was always gonna have a chance to update it through probably through the British Open you know, when there's probably going to be a resolution of some sorts of the world ranking, and so I was going to keep following this for the next couple of months anyway. But yeah, that was always the great anxiety. You know, what could what could happen? It seemed like, you know, the court cases could have gotten settled, that could have changed the structure of golf, you know. I A merger always made sense. It always seemed inevitable the way things were going. But I think it's way sooner than anyone ever imagined. So I wasn't totally worried about that. I thought that was you know, that might happen in December, January, February, but the book could already have been out by then. So yeah, it's it's wild that it happened when it did, but it's advantageous, I think, is now now it's changed. This was always going to be the definitive account of how we got to this moment, but it was a little bit of a cliffhanger. Is how is it going to end? Well, now we know the ending, so I'm happy. I think. I think this is kind of a best case scenario. But even though it's going to be to have a lot more work, it's okay. I'll power through well while we're.
Speaker 1: While we're addressing some internal stuff, we should also make note of our sponsorship and Dormy Workshop, which makes quality leather goods, and on the Firepitcollective dot com. In our pitch shop we are have a limited supply only of a new fire pit head cover by Dormy Workshop which comes with a little matching pouch. And so go to firepic Collective dot com and support the cause. But Alan, how many how many live events have you gone to?
Speaker 2: I'd have to total that up. I mean most of them, you can. I can say that I was. I was. I didn't do the big international ones, but uh, you know, I was. I was certainly. And it was interesting because I was in Mexico and I was in Tucson at the start of this year, and things were changing fast, and you could feel the jitters because the piff guys that's sort of taken control and they were mandating. There was a lot more governance, so it was a lot more oversight. Last year they were they were just trying to launch. It was very chaotic in the wake of Phil's comments. Everything. Everything was happening really fast, and they were spending like crazy because they just had to get off the ground and the start of this year it was edgy. I mean, someone who's really dialed into what's happened and out there on Live said to me coming out of out of Tuson, He's like, I'm worried about this whole thing. Like it's we're on the edge right now. There's the players, we're we're feeling the anxiety because they basically Live accelerated scheduled by a full year. You know that the team build that wasn't supposed to happen until twenty twenty four, but they very smartly said, this is the best thing we have going, let's accelerate it. And so you know there's only originally there's only gonna be ten events this year and fourteen next year. They moved that up and so there was this this feeling of the ground was shifting beneath their feet, and there was there were a lot of jitters. And then then they went to Australia and that was a huge shot of adrenaline for the whole organization and confidence and people kind of said, Okay, I can see what what Live Golf is going to be. You know, we're gonna go to these markets, We're gonna we're gonna go to places where they haven't seen big time golf, And coming out of that there was a whole totally different feeling like, Okay, we've kind of found our footing. You know, the Tulsa event was by far the biggest crowd they never had domestically, you had the Masters, you had Brooks win the PGA, Like there was a real momentum out there. So I've never I never felt like LIVE was gonna I've always talking to the people at the top like they they they've had ten year models, financial models like they have they have commitments going way out into the future. So I was never worried that Live was gonna was going to go away, but it felt like there was There was there was. It was tense internally as it was sort of this battle for supremacy. Part of that was, you know, this guy Magie els Roar, he'd been the day to day shot caller. He got pushed out, like there was a lot happening behind the scenes, and so I feel like this is the best thing that could have happened to Live clearly, like their future is now defined, their their mission is clear.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 2: There's there's just there's been a resolution that that that that was needed because it was a very free wheeling kind of energy around that place. They were making it up as they went along, and it worked like they got what they wanted. But things are going to settle down now there Now the tumult's gonna be get on the PGA tour, selling this to the players, pushing this through all the various boards, finalizing the schedule. What it all means that it's kind of like the burden, the burden has shifted. You know, Live had to prove it was viable. It had to, it had to launch. It did had enough success that the tour had to had to you know, it was a reckoning for the tour. And so now now that the burden of proof is on the PGA tour to make this work. And so it's it's incredible how fast this is all flipped.
Speaker 1: Michael, Where do you? Where do you? Where do you? How do you make peace? How do you make peace with all this? Where do you go from here? I mean, your purity is has been compromised. I feel like in terms of like now what for now? What for a guy I like you?
Speaker 4: I mean it kind of goes to what you said, earlier, Matt. You know, they can't take golf away from me, the game that you and I have loved, you know, all our lives. It kind of makes me double down on my own golfing experience, playing golf with my friends. That's how I started this game, and that has sustained me all my life. Nothing changes there, If anything, it probably only makes it a little deeper. You know, I don't think I'm different than anybody else. I'm always trying to learn something about how the world really works.
Speaker 1: So you know, I have my own.
Speaker 4: Idealism in standards. You know, I think Brooks Kopka lied his way out of that thing on the fifteenth at Augusta this year. I think it would have been much better for everybody had he just said, yes, something happened there and taking the shots. But that's not what happened. So you can have your own little vision of how the world should work, and that's great and we all have that. And then if you want to be a person at large in the world, you better try to understand how the world really works. And you know this our twenty ment Solve Been Together has been a discourse for me in it. Watching Jay Monahan's body language with Yair, you know, has been part of it. Seeing as we've you know, you guys have have lined up the you know, the the raith Yon common and the judicial process and how that comes together the crowds that where do they really have the big crowds? Was it in the two side event in Australia and Australia as well? Yeah, yeah, excuse me, and so you know, it's it's both, Matt, it's uh, you know, we're It is another illustration of everything that you learn from reading you know, Shakespeare and Mario Puzo and everything else. How the world really works. You can't put your head in the sand and ignore it. And life's interesting and it's I don't know, I think it's kind of I feel kind I feel personally queasy about this thing because I think money is corrupting in general. I mean, I know Alan only said this innocently, but Alan's question is it good for the book? I mean that there's a question of commerce behind that. You know, the book should be the book. If people get drawn to the book or not, well that's sort of like out of your control. But in fact, but the world, the real world is yeah, This is good for the book, more people interested in how this whole Live thing got to where it is. So I think money is corrupting. It troubles me on every level, and I think we're seeing it here. You know, Monahan had a stand, Rory had a stand, and in money collapsed those stands. But also, okay, now, what are you going to learn from that that you're going to apply it to your own life and how you think about life and how you vote and how you read and everything else.
Speaker 2: Well that that's really well said. That's probably a great place to end it, because it's a complicated day for golf, not just the logistics of how this is going to work, but emotionally for all of us. Like we've been on this roller coaster ride for the last you know, essentially a year. It's excuse me, also a year to the day since Live held its first tournament. But there was this long drum beat leading up to it, including the Michelson comments, but even beyond that, the whole issue. My cat's on the keyboard here, cat, you know all the uh it started with the PGL. I mean, this has been a background issue at the highest levels of professional golf for five years, six years. I mean that the first news break about the about the PGL in twenty eighteen, and this is hovered over the sport and so we finally know how the story ends. Some details to be sorted, but a quite a thunderbolt here on Tuesday morning, June sixth. We will continue to make sense of all this year at the Firepit Collective. I'm sure there'll be some typing done in the coming days and probably some more podcasting, but I think this was a great opening salvo to understand what just happened. So Michael Bamberger, Matt Janella, appreciate all your thoughts here. We're gonna wrap up this podcast, but we'll be back in your year soon, so thanks for listening. That's the end.
Speaker 1: I'm Ben Big again.
Speaker 3: I played the wind, made a fortune.
Speaker 1: When my ship came in, I ran the table and I thought I could fall.
Speaker 3: Then the win hit me.
Speaker 4: Lack a can in the ball.
Speaker 1: No, I can't shake this losing streak. Every road I take is a dead hand street.
Speaker 3: I got thoughts in my head, can't get them out, trying not to think what I'm thinking about.
Speaker 4: I've got thoughts in my head, can't get them out.
Speaker 3: Trying not to think what I'm thinking about
Speaker 4: H