Speaker 1: What are we looking for in a championship golf course these days? And why can't we seem to discuss this question without wanting to kill each other. So in this episode of our Golf Architecture one on one series, we're talking about the championship set up wars. I'm Garrett Morrison and this is designing golf. As always in Golf Architecture one on one, I am joined by my Frida Egg colleague, PJ Clark.
Speaker 2: PJ, how you doing, Garrett? I'm doing great.
Speaker 3: Rare to go less than twenty four hours away from another major championship. I'm wearing my Donald Ross pine cone shirt. I figured it was topical given a Rono MinC in a little bit sense. I'm great, just just another great week of major championship golf. You only get four of these, even if you're angry about who won. I'm not, but you got to you gotta enjoy them as they come.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, you would think that that would be a more common attitude, but it doesn't seem to me.
Speaker 3: You know. It's kind of like one of those things where yeah, it's uh, everybody always says, like late in the NFL season when there's a random like Jaguars Titans Thursday Night game. It's like, you're gonna be begging for this in July, and like, you know, when it's late August and we're talking about the three m it's like, oh, you want a PGA right now, even if Aaron Rye wins, right like you' that's what you want?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't. I'm not sure what gets into people's heads in major week, but they they want it all, you know, they want it to be perfect every single time, and it's it's just never perfect. So, you know, partly because of PGA Week and the discourse about it, we're talking about championship golf course design and set up in this golf architecture one on one episode, I feel like, you know, I feel like this is a topic where you're probably at least at a two to oh one level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would you agree with that.
Speaker 3: Feel decent about this, you know, I feel like I've learned a lot, have been very fortunate.
Speaker 2: You've been in these streets a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I you know, I've been very fortunate to attend, uh, you know, a handful of major championships at this point, and I've been very fortunate to use some of like one oh one teachings. I was lucky enough to play Yale a couple of weeks ago. I got a big heaping of of template holes there. I figured I at least knew kind of what I was talking about there. But this one, this topic, I feel at least okayon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And so we'll try to advance the discussion a little bit. Maybe this is not a pure one o one episode, but you know, I think that most of the audience is probably there as well. You know that this is a common topic of discussion in mainstream golf podcasts, So it's not like I'm bringing out something that's that's really unique to golf architecture discourse here, but I'm going to try to get us at a deeper level with it. And I think it's it's worth talking about it in this format because the discussion of championship golf courses, especially major championship golf courses, is one of those rare moments when everyone in golf comes together to talk about golf course design. Right, It's not just architects and architecture nerds who are participating, it's the players, it's the representatives from golf governing bodies, it's the TV personalities, it's the journalists who might not cover this topic on a week to week basis, And it's also a lot of fans and a lot of social media users who have an opinion as well. So it might even be the way that a lot of people are introduced to the notion of golf architecture for the first time, and for that reason, I think it's a potentially very fruitful topic. So my goal here is to think through championship golf course design and set up with you from basically the ground up. What's the history of championship golf course design and set up? How did we get to the spot that we are today with it? And ultimately, what do we want out of a twenty first century championship course?
Speaker 2: Do we even know what we want?
Speaker 3: I was going to say that feels like the billion dollar question right now, and I don't know that anybody.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of different answers to that question.
Speaker 3: I'm curious to I think, I know, I think I might have an idea of what your answer might be, but I'm very excited to find out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got like a three part I was just working this out before we jumped on, because I'd never kind of written it down. I may do an article about this eventually, but I have my own idea and I'm curious to hear, you know, at the end of this episode where you are with it as well. But first, before we get into the history of it, into these interesting questions, we should probably talk a little bit about what happened last week, because I think in many ways it is representative. We're recording this, as you've alluded to on the Monday after the twenty twenty six PGA Championship at Ironomin Golf Club and throughout the week, the design and setup of Ironomink were big, big storylines. So let's start with what people were talking about before the tournament started, because that was different from what people were talking about during the tournament. What was it before the tournament? What was your recollection?
Speaker 2: Well, it was something kind of new.
Speaker 3: I mean, it hadn't been on the rota for the pros in eight years since a BMW, which is obviously a very different setup than a PGA Championship. Everybody's curious to see what Kerry Haig was going to do with this, given the recent run of PGAs that. I mean, Quel Hollow was not like a total birdie fest at the end of the day last year, but Valhalla was kind of a disaster, and I think people were probably scarred from that, and the PGA defenders would come back with, well, like, look at the leaderboards, look at the winners, like top players are separating themselves, which is in a sense a fair critique to me, even if it's not the It's kind of it's like that meme where like you did all the work wrong, but you got the right answer, so it's like, yeah, okay, I submit that the leaderboards have been generally pretty good in recent years, but everybody thought that that maybe it was not going to be long enough, that scores were going to be low, that weather would come in, and that I assume weather is going to be a big, at least kind of part of what we're talking about today, because not something you can control from an architecture standpoint, but something that plays a load bearing piece of a major championship.
Speaker 1: For sure, even more so in recent years. Right, I also heard a lot of people talking about trees on the right so much championship. I mean, the tree discourse was.
Speaker 2: The tree discourse I I have.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've lived like eight lives since the tree discourse, so I forgot about it until literally right now.
Speaker 1: I mean on Tuesday and Wednesday, this became sort of the flashpoint issue. Yeah, people were talking about all those other factors that you mentioned, as well, what is this PGA going to be? Are people going to just annihilate this golf course? It seemed like the consensus was that that would be the case, and I had my concerns about that as well, because I had watched the tournaments that had been held at this renovated ronom inc And I just didn't, you know, I didn't really trust the PGA to set this course up in a way that was significantly different from those PGA Tour events, because you know, in the past, a PGA Championship has typically been basically a PGA Tour event, which, by the way, is why the players who passed that test happened to be also dominant players on the PGA Tour. It's a similar test. Of course, all that turned out to be pretty inaccurate. Everybody was wrong, but trees were really a big, a big point of discussion. Now this is a common talking point among anti ball rollback people because tree lined fairways limit distance, right, they sometimes take driver out of players' hands. It's a way to roll back distance without touching the equipment, which is kind of the dream of the anti rollbacker right now. It's like, do anything anything at all, no matter how expensive it is, no matter how unreasonable, no matter how much it harms the golf course, as long as you're not going to, you know, touch the ball or touch the driver. And trees are a particularly hot button issue at Aronomic because one, many trees have been taken out over the past twenty five years at this golf course, and many trees also have died at the golf course. And two, the course itself, especially the front nine, is very short by modern Major championship standards. Yes it might be at that kind of over seven thousand yard mark, but man a lot of wedges on the front nine. And so, of course, you know, the prescription for this for some people is more trees. And we heard Rory McElroy talk about this, we heard Xander Schoffley talk about it, and what I thought was a pretty condescending but at the same time incoherent manner. So that was one factor of championship golf course design and set up that people sort of zeroed in on before the tournament began, But then once the tournament started, it became clear that the course was playing very tough, and player's complaints began to center on pin positions, or more precisely, the combination of ironomings, green designs, firmness, and pin positions, because all those things had to work together to create the dynamics we were seeing.
Speaker 2: So that was.
Speaker 1: The lead subject in the first two rounds, These pin positions, other factor of championship golf course design and setup became the primary subject. What did you make of the pin position discourse?
Speaker 3: It seemed more prevalent than it has been a lot of previous majors. I mean, at least in the two years that I've been doing this with you guys, Like, it seemed like it was the most prevalent in the discourse this week, more than any week house And the.
Speaker 1: Last time I remember it being this big of a deal pin position specifically was twenty eighteen at Shinnecock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, I feel like it was really really out there in a way that you know, there was I know, there was like rough discourse and could you spray it? Could you not spray it? Like that's open for interpretation to a certain extent. But the pin position, Like immediately on Thursday, guys were coming off the course in the morning the easier wave, mind you that a lot of those guys did not cash in on and they were like, these these pins are out of control. The slope is more than we play on a week to week basis, And that is true as Andy hammered home throughout the week. But yeah, I mean, wouldn't that theoretically be true for the majority of majors that are just not at Obviously Quail Hollow is a PGA Tour course, but any of these that are not your standard tour courses, like inherently, wouldn't they just have harder greens or more slope on the greens than the PGA Tour's rules allow.
Speaker 1: I would say so, yes. I think it's something that differentiates a major championship venue of these days, because the PGA Tour has certain standards for its golf courses. Right, you can't put pins in really slopey locations on the PGA Tour. You need a certain sand in your bunkers. You know, all these things a PGA Tour course has become to an extent standardized in its presentation that doesn't apply to major championship courses, and so we get these things like you know, Southern Hills a few years ago, people were really surprised by the sand because it was different, you know, And I think that's part of what makes these courses special.
Speaker 3: Do you think, Uh, we just did like a little quick SGS Monday Monday scramble and I kind of alluded to this in a way. You're more of the expert that I am. That like, because we hadn't seen ironomynk and because it it hasn't come up in eight years, and this is kind of a way different context than where it came up last time that it is. All of this just allowed for way more latitude on the course set up discussion because it had never been seen before by a lot of these guys. So everybody who's just ripping off takes wherever whereas like you know, you know what you're getting at an Augusta or something on the US Open Rota because it comes up now and again every five years or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Maybe so, but a lot of these guys had seen the course, a lot of these guys were at least familiar in a pass away with it. Yeah, and so I think that that same logic might apply to almost any major championship venue, aside from the ones that get visited very frequently, like the Old Course or Pinehurst or Pebble Beach. You know, most of the time it's ten years or something between visits to this type of course in a major championship, and so, yeah, there will be this element of a lack of familiarity. Guys are probably used to that crazy pin on the sixth hole at Augusta National to an extent, and so you know, if they had not seen Augusta National every year, would they complain about that pin position if it popped up in a random PGA Championship. I think that's an interesting question, and I'm not sure I know the answer, but certainly pin positions seem to be the thing that players are most concerned about. But then there was another set of complaints from another sector of the golf world at the same time, and this sector of the golf world was the data boys and the gamblers, and they were unhappy that Aronomick didn't seem to be rewarding what they interpret to be skill. Right, supposedly, the best ball strikers were not rising to the top, and instead the tournament was just a putting contest where anyone could win. And I will say probably the most sophisticated iteration of this complaint was that Ironomink did not differentiate slight inaccuracy off the tee from wild inaccuracy. Right Like a many tournaments, the rough just off the fairways was thicker and juicier than the rough way off the fairways, where it was often trampled down by galleries, and so slight misses were often penalized more harshly than wide misses. This is a problem also commonly noted at places like Oak Hill and Tory Pines. And this is where the tree the tree discourse comes back into play, because you know, if you have if you have rough and bunkers just off the fairway and then dense stance of dense stands of trees well off the fairways, then you have a kind of graduated penalty.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: TPC Sawgrass is of course that does this kind of thing, where there's a less severe penalty for a slight miss and a more severe penalty for a big miss and TPC sawgrass uses trees to this purpose. It uses bunkers and rough it also uses penalty hazards, and so that specific genre of this general complaint struck me. As you know, when it comes to aeronomy, not totally off.
Speaker 3: Base, no, I mean when you have guys outwardly getting caught on a hot mic Justin Thomas hitting a horrendous drive and just yelling, oh, give me a good lie as it lands in a group of people, like, yeah, probably not not great. But again that's not a unique circumstance to ironomicc as you said, So, I do think it's fair, but like at the end of the day, kind of what are you gonna do about it? This comes up more more often than not, so I do think though, I know, like you got into a little bit of discourse about this recently on Twitter, Brian Schneider was tweeting about fairway speeds. Do you think maybe that is different at Aronomic that they were cut so fine that it was hard to hold a lot of these fairways. Also at Oakmont last year a good example, it was hard to hold a lot of the fairways that you would end up right in that first kind of cut, not a first cut, but in that first grouping of rough where if you hit the fairway, when if you were just blasting it all over the place, Cameron Smith, you could make par from anywhere because it didn't really matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think the fairways were cut too short, but that's that's Ernomic and everywhere else, you know, except for maybe a couple of places, like even Augusta National, where they could cut it shorter, but they don't because they want balls to hang up on uneven lies. So yeah, I would have loved to have seen the fairway grass kept longer, and I'd love that at in fact, most tournament venues that we see. But yeah, I mean all the stuff that we're talking about, the uh you know, penalizing certain kinds of shots at a graduated level. I hear it, I get it. I appreciate courses like TPC Sawgrass, where you know, the design of the course was meant from the beginning to enforce that kind of graduated penalty. But I think when we bring that complaint to a particular course like Aronomy, we're very much at risk of saying every championship course or should basically be the same yeah, and we might as well just kind of play the majors on a grid that doesn't yield any numbers that might offend people.
Speaker 3: Isn't that just like I mean it was when we were when we did the Fairness episode of this, It's like, this is an outdoor sport, guys, Like this is just this is the game, this is how it happens, and and you're not going to get the best break all the time, Like is it the most properly constructed thing in the world, Like maybe not, but at some point over the course of four rounds, you just play the hands you dealt. And I don't think a lot of I don't think a lot of people on Twitter. I don't think a lot of the discourse really acknowledged that or got that or accepted that. And I don't know that a lot of the players Necessarsari really did either.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know what, we often hear this phrase a proper test, Yeah, and that the courses like Ironomke where we're driving inaccuracy is not particularly punished or not a proper test or a well balanced test. And I just think that's an oversimplification. I think it's okay for a course not to be a proper test. You know, it's okay for different courses to highlight different skill sets and to forgive certain weaknesses. It's okay for different courses to be different in these respects.
Speaker 3: This is, this is how, this is how not baseball is the only other comp really because it's not like you're building a football field in a different way. But you can play based on weather, or you could build a dome in a football field depending on the style of team you have, where you could build your offense around, whether you play outdoors in.
Speaker 2: January or not. Like this is.
Speaker 3: You know, some ballparks are bigger than others, like that is the way to go. Like TPC River Highlands is not going to give you the same leaderboard as a ginormous ballpark out there somewhere else, like you, Brian Harmon has a chance at TPC River Highlands where he wouldn't other places. Like that happens, and that's the sport. And again when it happens on a weekly basis, I don't understand how these that criticism comes up so frequently here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, major championships are big deals and people invest a lot in the results of major championships. They want to see the best players win and they want there to be something memorable about it. They you know, maybe think back to their childhoods when when Tiger was winning, you know, every major, or Jack Nichols was winning every major, and they and they want that feeling to come back. But you know what, that's not going to be every major. It has never been every major. If you were actually living through the seventies when Nicholas was so dominant, or the early two thousands when when Tiger was doing his thing, you would know that there were some random major winners during those stretches as well, you know. And Aaron Rai went out and earned it. Like if you look at his back nine, it was immaculate. He hit all the shots that everybody else wasn't hitting, and they're very, very difficult shots. He is the one who hit them. And the challenge at aeronom Ink this past week was basically the greens and getting your approaches in these little sections where you could actually make some putts and then making those puts on very slopey, tricky greens. And Aaron Rye did that, and he was also in the fairway most of the time. But you know, maybe maybe not to everybody's satisfaction over four rounds, but the chorus was posing. I thought a very interesting set of questions throughout the week, including on Sunday to the whole field and to Aaron Rye, and he had the answers in those last few holes.
Speaker 3: Well that's like, you know, you can step me straight here, please do if I'm wildly off base.
Speaker 2: I don't understand the putting contest.
Speaker 3: I understand it more in a place like Amex John Rahm, you know, Piece of s putting contest, the famous video, Like I get into a place like that where everybody is hitting the fairway, everybody is hitting the green, and like, yeah, you gotta when everybody is kind of on an equal playing field there to a certain extent, like yes, everybody has to make every putt because the final score is going to be twenty four under or whatever it is, and you have to make every put available to you. But in a major especially but really any week, like you have to make putts to win at the end of the day, Like is it everything kind of a putting contest? Like yes, you can get away with putting poorly if you're putting from you know, eight feet compared to twenty feet in proximity to.
Speaker 2: The whole on average or whatever.
Speaker 3: But to win anything, Winning is incredibly hard on any level of professional golf, especially when you're playing every week. You have to make putts to win every week. Every week is inherently a putting contest to some extent. So I don't understand how that is like a criticism that comes up all the time, because like, it's common sense you have to bike putts to win. I don't like, you're not going to win a major putting poorly.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. That never has made any sense to me.
Speaker 1: This is partly the nature of golf where we're putting is has such an outsize importance and score.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, man, that's how you get the ball in the hole, like it exist right.
Speaker 1: If the hole were much bigger, then we would see less importance on putting. But it is very difficult to make a putt outside of five feet, so inevitably those strokes that you take on the green, you know, making those putts that that other people aren't making, has has a huge effect on the score. And that's any week. I think what people are saying when they say it's a stupid putting contest is that it doesn't matter what you do from tee to green, it's everybody ends up in the same place on the green and from there it's a quote unquote putting contest. That's not really what I saw this week. Uh, you know, I get I get it that guys are missing fair ways and over the course of four rounds weren't being penalized to the exact number that we prefer. But I thought I thought interesting shots were being hit from tee to green, and then interesting shots were being hit on the greens. And so sure, putting may have been very important this week, but I think we have to keep in mind that that watching the tournament is really critical and and for me, watching those golf shots at AERONOMYK was super, super compelling, And that's that's a lot of what I want out of a championship golf course.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, sounds like we more or less agree on this. I didn't really have to convince you of anything. You didn't have to convince me of anything. But it would be interested to hear from from listeners about what they think on this subject. So that's that's what we got last week. But there is a whole history to championship design and set up that I think we need to be familiar with in order to fully understand what happened in aeronom ink, and also just to recognize that people have been having these discussions for one hundred years or more. And we'll get into all that in a second, but first let's talk about Mobjack. Mobjacked is a craft belt making brand specializing in luxury lifestyle belts handcrafted in the USA. These belts are made in small batches forged from the mastery of skilled artisans who pour their expertise and care into every detail. They're handcrafted in the US using traditional cutting and stitching leather working techniques. Mobjack belts are produced in small numbers with Italian leather finished to the highest standards. What we're talking about here is basically a kind of full leather backed belt with colorful woven patterns made from fade resistant materials. They have a nickel plated solid brass hardware.
Speaker 2: Versatile.
Speaker 1: They can be worn with golf attire or business attire. A great alternative to the logo belt if you're trying to reduce your logo count. If you've been influenced by the Burner verse and you feel that you must meet certain rules when it comes to logo display, then Mobjack belts are a great way to wear a stylish belt that doesn't necessarily feature a course logo. Also, keep an eye out right now for a number of great Mobjack summer styles, including the Southampton, the Newport, and the watch Hill. So step up your style with a little help from Mobjack. Go to mobjack dot com to see everything that they're offering and use the code fried Egg for fifteen percent off. That's code fried Egg at mobjack dot com. All right, so, PJ, this debate about championship golf courses goes back a long way. How far back is an open question. There are probably those who would take it all the way back to you know, the French and Indian War maybe, but no.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, the Americans had like a real advantage in the Revolutionary War. They they kind of knew the terrain way better. I mean, that's championship management at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would say the Glorious Revolution was really the main turning point here. But you know, if we're talking about championship set up specifically, a lot of people might might point out the nineteen oh five Open Championship when a bunch of bunkers were added to the old course in response to the Haskell ball. It's a very interesting story. But for me, the modern notion of a major championship venue, especially a US Open or PGA championship venue, really began to form in the nineteen thirties when the USGA became concerned about low scoring at the US Open. So until nineteen thirty six, the US Open scoring record was two eighty six. But at the nineteen thirty six US Open, Tony Manero shot to eighty two at Baltasral Then the next year at Oakland Hills, which was thought to be a very difficult golf course, Ralph Goldall shot to eighty one. And by the way, I'm not totally sure how to pronounce Ralph Gildall, Ralph Goodall, Ralph Gouldal. I have a really hard time with his name. I'm just gonna admit it. He was a great player. Yeah, he was like the best player in the world in nineteen thirty seven.
Speaker 3: People are familiar that I can't pronounce anything, so I don't blame you.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's a company characteristic at this point. By the way, the US Open scoring record is now two sixty eight. Rory shot at Congressional in two twenty fourteen I believe, so we're way out of the two eighties at this point. But man, were they concerned about about these scores in the nineteen thirties. This created a lot of consternation within those clubs, Baltisterrawl in Oakland Hills and the USGA. The USGA at the time had a new young executive director named Joe Dye who was inclined to do something like, you know, encourage these clubs to toughen up their courses. He wanted the US Open to remain the toughest test in golf, which meant that scoring needed to be higher. Around the same time, there was an ambitious, up and coming golf architect named Robert Trent Jones who saw an opportunity in all this. Jones started to show up at US Opens and compile data on t shots. He'd go out and find a relatively flat hole and draw a series of chalk lines through the fairway at different distances. Imagine this.
Speaker 2: This is what he.
Speaker 1: During the Open. There's a different vibe. Back in the day, Pj's was much more casual.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know.
Speaker 1: RTJ could just go out there and draw on the fairways. Then he'd recruit a couple of young caddies and have them mark where each ball landed and rolled out to so he was getting carried distance and total distance, and Jones would write down those numbers on a clipboard. So this was basically like a primitive version of shot Link.
Speaker 2: The original data boy.
Speaker 1: Robert Trent Jones an amazing story. This is a story that was told to me by Jim Hansen, who wrote the Robert Trent Jones' biography, A difficult part which everybody should read.
Speaker 2: It's full of fascinating stuff.
Speaker 1: But what Jones found out, of course, was that players were hitting the ball much farther than they used to, and much farther than anybody thought they had been. And a big reason for that was that in the nineteen thirties, steel shafts have basically replaced hickory shafts, and this made ball striking much more consistent and allowed players to swing harder and harder. Basically, players got these steel shafts in their clubs and they gradually realized, oh, I can go at this like I can really swing hard here and it's not going to break down because hickory shafts had it was all about tempo, right, it was all about the timing of the whip. But steel shafts were a much different deal.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: In addition to that, the manufacturing standards for balls were getting better and better and more consistent. Titleist was founded in the nineteen thirties, so the game was changing in a number of respects. Players are getting longer, and all this set a really important precedent. Technology was leading to distance gains and lower scoring and this put the governing bodies and golf architects on the back foot and forced them to react. So by the end of the nineteen thirties, Joe Dye, the executive director of the USGA, and Robert Trent Jones had gotten to know each other pretty well and they agreed that something had to be done, but because of World War Two, they couldn't do anything for a while. So that brings us to the nineteen fifty one US Open at Oakland Hills. Now, remember this is where Ralph Goldaal shot two eighty one seven under Imagine that being freaked out about seven under. In nineteen thirty seven, the USGA and Oakland Hills decided that this wasn't going to happen again, so they brought in Robert Trent Jones to renovate the golf course, and this renovation ended up setting the mold for championship golf course design and set up for the rest of the century. Essentially, he actually didn't lengthen the course that much. He would do that at other courses, but Oakland Hills was already pretty long in the nineteen thirties. But he did make the fairways nearwor He added bunkers on both sides of the landing zones for drives, so that each fairway had a kind of bottleneck. He added bunkers around the greens to penalize wayward approach shots. He advised the club to grow up the rough very very high. And finally, and this was very clever, he reduced the par from seventy two to seventy.
Speaker 3: You know, that's an underrated the Summerlan model kind of just it.
Speaker 2: It really might be the way to go. It might be the way to fix everything.
Speaker 1: Just I mean it just like it solves all your problems. It might not have been ourtj who recommended this. It might have been the USGA that kind of was and Joe Die who are really behind this. But yeah, I mean this is this is so much of the story here, just like turn a couple of par fives into par fours and and we're good.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, you know that's two shots right there, right there in front of you. Three shots, Yeah, two shots over four rounds.
Speaker 2: You want to be seven under, psych.
Speaker 1: It's like, this is amazing, I mean, all of a sudden instead of instead of seven under, it would have been won over. Yeah in nineteen thirty seven, right, maybe.
Speaker 2: There's your seven shots right there, congrrect exactly.
Speaker 1: So anyway, the nineteen fifty one US Open plays out, Ben Hogan wins with a score of seven over with this new par so it really wasn't that. I mean, players were a lot better by then. Ben Hogan was an amazing I mean in the early fifties, like he was incredible, and so, yeah, the course was harder. In the locker room afterwards, he said something to the effect of I'm glad I brought this course, this monster to its knees, famous line, And this was just like catnip for the pus. Oh yeah, they love this. I mean it just adored, you know, this idea of the monster.
Speaker 3: Some could say that this is the original Augusta nashnal is a par sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really set the mold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bryceon and Ben Hogan just it. They're forever linked in every way, shape and form.
Speaker 1: I really wish Bryson kept wearing the the Hogan cap. He shouldn't have given in on that, like that was that was his idea, you.
Speaker 3: Know there when you were when you're trying to be, when you're trying to be you know, net positive with the crushers, you got to think about can we sell those versus can we just sell a normal hat.
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of what it does. He needs he needs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need the the a bit, a bit whatever that is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to try.
Speaker 1: That's the good stars. So yeah, I don't know what it stands for. It's not my role at Frida Egg No, I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just talked County CLIs. Yeah, don't look at me.
Speaker 1: So the membership was very proud. This was a big success for them, and suddenly every other US open course wanted Robert Tramp Jones to come in and do the same thing, right, So he went to basically all the other US Open courses in the fifties and sixties and and did this, and that's how he became known as the Open Doctor. The problem with this style of renovation, though, is that it's pretty vulnerable to advances in technology. If players get a little bit longer and are able to carry those bottlenecks in the fair way, if they're able to hit the ball higher and land the ball softer on the greens, then the course kind of loses its teeth and you have to bring in the architect again to move the teas back, or move the bunkers farther down range, or make the fairways even narrower, and you put yourself in a position where you have to keep chasing. And that's what a lot of championship courses ended up doing, including Oakland Hills. A lot of championship courses did this through the sixties, seventies, eighties, and nineties continued to pursue this style of golf course. They would call up Robert Trent Jones and either he would come back or he'd say, actually, why don't you get in touch with my son Reese, he can do it. So then from the late nineties forward, a couple of things happen. Things were primed to change. Right at, clubs were sort of dissatisfied after four decades of this at what was happening? Right, We're spending all this money and the course doesn't seem to be getting better, doesn't seem to be getting harder. It seems to be getting worse.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't want to interrupt this train of thought, go for it. But when when you're in Oakland Hills or any of these places and you're bringing in you know, we want to make the.
Speaker 2: US open, the Pro game.
Speaker 3: Be at or as close to par as possible, and that's you know, you know, ten days once every eight years. What are these members thinking when this course gets added, bunkering added, rough whatever, and the people that have to play this for the other fifty weeks out of the seven other years without a major.
Speaker 1: There, Well, I think at first they were thinking, great, my course is the big bully. You know, it's I play at a course that that made Ben Hogan. Yeah, call it a monster. And there's a kind of pride in that we're we're the we're the big boys in town. But then after after four decades, it starts to get a little bit old.
Speaker 2: How is that fun?
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, I, you know, this kicked Ben Hogan's ass, So I'm gonna just go out there and spin around. And I don't know, at some point I would get sick of it too. I guess it would take me a lot quicker than forty years.
Speaker 2: You would think.
Speaker 1: But you know, these uh, you know, these buses take a while to turn around. And also, you know, toward the end of the twentieth century, dynamics within clubs like these are changing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: There are more women playing, there are more families playing, and uh, and just the general ideology around golf is becoming less kind of macho, I think, and uh, and taste in architecture are changing. And that's one of the things that's happening in the late nineties, right. So, you know, the first big thing that happens in the late nineties is that the earthing covered solid core golf ball in the titanium three hundred and sixty cc driver started to be developed, and the governing bodies basically decided not to do anything about it, and players started to hit the ball so far and so high and so accurately that the open doctor style of renovation was no longer cutting it at all. The other thing that happened was that Golden age golf architecture came back into fashion, and all these clubs that regularly hosted majors became interested in restoring their courses, or at least they recognized that if they didn't do restoration work, they might fall in the rankings right or they might feel like they're behind the other clubs that were doing this work. So this is when clubs began to remove trees and widen fairways and in large greens and basically reverse all the work that the Jones family had done over the past fifty to sixty years. So the question became, how do these courses now defend themselves? If they're wider, if the greens are bigger, if there aren't as many trees anymore, how do you produce a championship that feels like a major. Yes, you can build new bactees. You can grow up the rough four championship week. You can pass off a couple of par five's as par four's. You can try some of those ploys that Joe Die and Robert Sheen Jones used, But really the primary defense had to be the greens. They had to be firm and fast, and the pin positions needed to be very difficult, and on top of that you had to hope for the right weather. Wind and firmness are really the only things that bother modern pro golfers playing the equipment that they do. And this approach does work for controlling scoring, but one, it's hard to pull off. You need a lot of things to go right. And two, it puts a golf course on the edge. Yeah, if the greens get a little bit too firm, if the pins are a little too close to.
Speaker 2: Say it line, then you might lose the golf course. Yeah, come on, there it is.
Speaker 1: And uh and we've seen that maybe happen a couple of times. You know, Shinnecock Hills is the place. And I listen, I loved those championships, but a lot of key people didn't. We got a little bit of a taste of it at aernomic.
Speaker 2: But this is this is what.
Speaker 1: You're playing with in modern championship golf course setup. You can't defend these courses in any other way. And so basically it's a big balancing act. You have to consider the club's desire for a highly rated, historically faithful course, but you also have to respond to these massive leaps and technology and player skill level, and you have to satisfy the public's desire for a tough test and a winning score in single digits. Meanwhile, you have people like Brandal Shambly screaming for a return essentially to the Robert Trent Jones style of championship golf course design and setup, which would be, in my opinion, totally fruitless. But he thinks that it's the panacea. And then you have people like me and some of our colleagues at Frida egg saying the real problem is the equipment. So, in other words, there's no way for people to be happy.
Speaker 2: So is this a.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I mean contextually right. I feel like every major has its own the Master's notwithstanding, because it's at the same course every year, so it's a completely different fiece.
Speaker 2: The other three all have their.
Speaker 3: Own viewpoint, right, Like the US Open is supposed to punch you in the face.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be as close to par as possible the Open, which.
Speaker 1: Makes which makes the US Open super tough to set up now because their identity is also great American golf courses, which means they're going to these primarily restored Golden Age golf courses. But you also need to to cling to this tournament around even par like talk about a balancing act that's really hard to pull off in a satisfying way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you have that, then the Open you have conditions and these historical venues and I feel like.
Speaker 2: Like the Open has the easiest almost I was gonna say that.
Speaker 3: I feel like you just roll the ball out there and it's like, hey, this course hasn't been touched since eighteen whatever.
Speaker 2: Here you go, like.
Speaker 1: Except by Mackenzie and Ebert. Yeah, they've done some things, but the extent of the work on these courses and the effect that that work has on actual play is much lower because because like, really it's about the land and the location and the elements, you know, and that's that's what defines the Open. And it's okay with the RNA if the winning scorer is around twenty under, it doesn't really bother people because sometimes that's what you get, and so it really does. Yeah, it allows the where the Open, the Open road allows the Open to have such a clear identity, and yeah, as you're arguing, the US Open has a clear identity as well, even if it's very hard to maintain that identity.
Speaker 2: So then like it do you think.
Speaker 3: Is a lot of the are a lot of these issues with however, whatever side of the setup debate, if you want like the Brandle side or the rollback side or the third middle avenue of you just want a fair test or whatever it is, Like, I feel like a lot of that has to do within the context of the championship, right because the PGA, the identity list PGA another big conversation of the last ten days, Like some years it's in the twenties or the upper teams like hand Up, I expected it to be probably above fifteen given content clues, and then you know this year was nine. Quell Hollow I think was nine or eight. It was under ten. It was in single digits. So it's not.
Speaker 2: Is it is it better.
Speaker 3: Or worse to just not have the identity that you could essentially kind of do anything because you're not trying to protect par and you're not trying to protect the weather or whatever the Open is going to get from that luck of the draw aspect.
Speaker 1: There is a certain freedom in that, isn't there.
Speaker 3: Just like I don't know if it's good or bad, because not having identity, I would say is objectively bad.
Speaker 1: But yeah, from the perspective of the fan, yeah, I would agree with you that the PGA Championship doesn't really know what it is. But the fact that the PGA Championship is not wetted to a particular identity means that Carrie Haig, the setups are at the PGA of America, can be a little bit flexible in his setups, Like he's really just looking to set up what he thinks is going to be a good championship, and he's pretty good at that, you know, Like even if he gets some stinkers of courses, in general, it doesn't turn out too badly. This was the first PGA Championship that I can remember where so many people objected to the setup, and that's partly because it started to become started to feel like a US open to some degree. So yeah, I mean, the PGA Championship is unique among the majors in the sense that we don't really know what it is, so it's hard to know what we really want out of the setup.
Speaker 3: So is this I don't want to say this whole episode or this whole argument or whatever, but a lot of this, you would say the course set up discourse. And I would say, in my limited experience dealing with the course set up discourse, I feel like the majority of it is on the US Open because it is the hardest one to set up.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, That's when this is the hottest, you know, because the master is the masters. They always seem to set up the course perfectly. You know, they do it quietly. Yeah, and and and you know it's a great golf course, and they have the they have the ability to basically redesign their golf course every year, so that helps as well. The Open is the Open, as as we talked about, and conditions and uh, the seaside elements are really what define that championship. The US Open is really the one that people bring the most baggage to because the US Open is is means something to people, Right, There're people who remember the US Open being this big, badass championship and maybe there's something of you know, America is a fallen empire feeling about it.
Speaker 2: You know, we used to be a country. You know, we used to be a proper country, yere. I don't know if you've heard that before.
Speaker 1: In any case, there's a lot of pressure on US Open setups and you can expect that to be to be a big topic of discussion at Shinnecock. But you know, Shinnecock is a is a good one for the USGA. It takes a little bit of pressure off of them because again, like a like an Open championship, the elements, the land, you know that that's the There's.
Speaker 2: Only so much you can do down there.
Speaker 3: Ye win's winds coming in, whatever's going to happen, it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: Try heat.
Speaker 1: Even as I say that, you know, obviously twenty eighteen, which was such a disaster for the USGA, they felt that they had to completely change their change their approach. But maybe that's this is not the not the place to talk about it.
Speaker 2: But I think they there there will be time.
Speaker 3: There will be time for that within the next month. I'm quite sure.
Speaker 1: God. Yeah, I mean we're just starting to to, you know, enter the run up to our US Open content and there is there's a lot to do, there's a lot to discuss, but I yeah, at some point we need to have a discussion of how twenty eighteen changed US Open setup, because they have I have really dialed it back since then.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: Hope they let Shinnecock be Shinnecock. In any case, you.
Speaker 3: Know another thing, another thing in professional golf that has been permanently altered by Phil Nicholson.
Speaker 2: How about it? I mean, the list is pretty long.
Speaker 1: So was phill right? Was Phil right all along chasing after that putt?
Speaker 2: Was he right? You know?
Speaker 3: I wasn't there on Saturday, but I was there on Sunday and I followed Phil's Sunday round and then he signed my twenty eighteen US Open hat. So I have the perfect momento from from Scarbrooks.
Speaker 2: It was the Philly US Open. So Cherry, you just said Brooks. I thought Brooks was your guy.
Speaker 3: I love Brooks, But you know, when I don't think, I think people remember Phil hitting that ball more than maybe Brooks winning at the end of.
Speaker 1: The day, there's no doubt about that, And they remember Zach Johnson's well could not the things that enter the cultural firmament, you know, never expect what it is. So okay, we're basically up to date here. Let's wrap this up by talking about what we really want to see out of a championship golf course design and set up.
Speaker 2: What is that for you? I think.
Speaker 3: The more I've been paying attention to course set up and kind of you know, learning through osmosis and being more attentive and understanding what I'm watching more than maybe when I was just casually watching majors as a big fan or whatever, I think it's cooler to me when guys have to hit a variety of shots. I just think that's much better. When you have to I feel like you just earn it more. And honestly, Aaron Rai earned it. He was shaping shots left and right. And that's why, like for whatever he is as as a person or a marketable asset, like I've appreciated Patrick Reed because Patrick Reed is a shot shaper and goes out there and can do those types of things. And that's the type of golf that I really enjoy watching.
Speaker 2: So I think.
Speaker 3: A a pinehursty type area with short grass that you can put, you can chip, You're into the grain. You it's not just ah, you know, I missed the green and now I'm in a pile of rough. But I just got to hack this onto the green and whatever happens happens. I think, like at Oakmont last year, that introduces a level of variability and randomness, and you know, is my ball sitting up? Is it sitting down where? You know, in this pile of rough? Not that there's not variability or randomness at a Pinehurst or a Shinnacock, Like you could be in the fescue, you could be in the sand, you could be the chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like, but that is that.
Speaker 3: I feel like there's more room for creativity in a setup like that versus an Oakmont where it or beth Page even where it's just like, ah, you're in the rough now. And I I'm just more entertained by that. I don't really like what I prefer if major championships were not twenty under Like yeah, and I understand like the old course is a kind of unique beast, but was that I vividly remember being like kind of upset by just seeing it bludgeoned and having it be twenty two or whatever.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, this is out of control and that's an equipment thing and that is a weather thing, and like it does I am like offended by the number of twenty in a major, like totally hand up.
Speaker 2: I am. It just feels not right and I don't want anything to do with it.
Speaker 3: But I'm not like, you know, I don't know what Pebbler tories get like Pebble next year for the US Open, like so that could be close to par probably not. But if the US Open is like five six under at Pebble, I'm not gonna be like, oh, this is this is the worst thing that ever happened. Like, I know a lot of people are gonna be either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that makes you different from a lot of people who sort of demand much higher scores. But I don't think you're alone. And you know, seeing twenty and and kind of.
Speaker 2: Feeling the number, the number twenty deeply offends me.
Speaker 1: It just savors of the PGA Tour, right. I think it reminds us of every week on the PGA Tour. And the big thing is that we want majors to be special, and that's most of what I'm hearing for you. You want players to be challenged in ways that they're not normally challenged week in and week out on the PGA Tour, and that means hitting different kinds of shots, having different kinds of demands put on them, answering questions that they normally don't have to answer a PGA tour courses. So it's really about the shots primarily, but also, you know, it comes out in the score and h you know, and so there needs to be an element of scoring control as well, and I don't think anybody would deny that.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let me.
Speaker 1: Give you my three part test for a major championship setup. The first big thing I'm looking for is that each course's unique identity is highlighted, that the course and its history and its design matter to the person or the organization that's setting it up. And this is why I object so much to the Brandle argument about rough and trees everywhere. It's like he wants every championship course to be the same, and I would just find that terribly, terribly boring. It was a mistake when urtj did it to the US Open venues in the fifties and sixties, and it would be a mistake now. All right, So that's my first big criterion. You know, each course has a unique identity. I want the setup to highlight that. I don't want the setup to muffle that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean that makes sense, I think doubly so for rotating venues. Right when you go for the US Open or even the Open, when you go to these like iconic places, lean into it, make it different. Like I feel like that's kind of a no brainer I would agree with.
Speaker 1: And that's why I didn't. I wasn't offended by the Oakmont setup last year, even though it had really heavy rough, which I don't normally like, well, that's Oakmond, you know, that's kind of what Oakmont's been forever. Yeah, the fairways used to be wider, but you know, the founders and original designers of the club had a penal idea about what should be just off the fairways, and so you know, it was having that rough the way it was kind of highlighted the course's history and identity. The same rough wouldn't be as suitable at other courses, and so the setup needs to take into account what the courses. Okay, second big thing I'm looking for the ball does cool stuff on the ground. Yeah, and this is what this relates to your point about about short grass, and you know, I want majors to feel different than normal PGA Tour events. At normal PGA Tour events, the ball rarely does anything interesting on the ground. You know, approach shots don't run out, putts under ten feet don't break significantly. At majors, I want to see players have to reckon with the ground, and that means having firm conditions, interesting topography, significant tilt and contour in the greens in many cases, lots of short grass and pins that are not just in the flat areas. So I want to see the ball being dynamic on the ground because that's one of the most entertaining things to watch in golf. It's one of the most challenging things for players to confront and it's something we just don't get to.
Speaker 2: See on the PGA Tour.
Speaker 1: Absolutely third big thing I'm looking for and final big thing. Hitting a shot that gains an advantage on the field should be very difficult and scary. That doesn't mean that they're impossible. Yeah, doesn't mean that you're making bogie everywhere. It doesn't even make It doesn't even mean that you're you know that making par is that hard on every single hole. It just means that if you want to make an eagle on a hole where everybody else is making birdie or make a par on a hole where everybody else is making bogie or whatever that whole spectrum happens to be. Hitting the shot that gains the significant advantage on the field should be a tough task and something that comes with risk. So this basically means that I don't want great shots to feel easy or routine. I want them to feel like real accomplishments at major championships. Now, at aeronom Inc. Maybe it was just a bit too hard art to hit a shot that gained an advantage on the field, and this led to a very bunched leader board and a tournament stagnated a couple of times. But then at the end, Aaron Rye hit a series of shots that no one else was hitting on Sunday and that was amazing to watch and it made for a very satisfying end to the championship. So I would say that Aronomic, you know, met this criteria. Hitting a great shot was possible, but it was very difficult and scary, and nobody did it except for Aaron Rye. Now would I have preferred if maybe two or three other people had also done it. From that, you know, final group of players who were within five shots of the lead. Would I prefer if there had been a couple other players in the mix who were hitting those shots. Maybe, But that's just a little tiny turn of the dial in one direction. I think that in general, what we saw was a course where it was very, very difficult to hit a shot that got you an advantage, and that in general is a good thing. And then at the end of the tournament we reaped the rewards of that because there was one guy who was ready to hit those shots, yep. And it really feels like he deserved to win, and I enjoyed that a great deal.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think he took chances that other people didn't. I mean, specifically, I'm thirteen, like he tried to fly it up to the hole and everybody else was kind of just chunking it out of the bunker and letting it go. And I think that you need to, like Aaron Rai, elevated his game and took some shots and made strategic decisions. I think that is maybe like when I'm I'm just on the fly thinking of what I would want a major to be. I think the opportunity to make strategic decisions, whether they be mistakes or were work out correctly. You have to you have to force. I would want to force people into making a choice and giving them the option of making the bad one just as much as giving them the option to make a good one. Like you're saying, be rewarded with an exceptional shot, but if you fail to pull off the exceptional shot, I would watch you to be penalized just just as much. Like I want a real risk reward aspect to this. And I feel like Aaron Rai took a lot of those opportunities presented to them on the back round.
Speaker 1: He was playing close to slopes on those greens that nobody else wanted to take on. Yeah, and he executed the shots and succeeded. And look, I didn't see Rom doing that, and I didn't see Rory doing that. They played great, I mean, they had great tournaments, and I would have loved to have seen them hit the shots that Aaron Ry did down the stretch and end up in a playoff with him, but they didn't. You know, Aaron Ry was the guy, and so in that sense, I thought the course was very successful and it represented a lot of what I want to see in a major championship where you know, hitting that shot that gains you the advantage is pretty rare, is more rare than it is at normal tournaments, and normal tournaments, you know, we get the sense that these guys are gods and that, you know, in terms of playing golf, like they kind of are. They're they're hitting incredible shots at courses that you and I would find extremely challenging. But I'm glad to see it at a major championship where the demand, the baseline demand for that really successful shot, the shot that leads to the birdier, that leads to the to the one up advantage on the field, must be truly exceptional.
Speaker 2: It can't just be good for these guys. It has to be really good for these guys. Yeah, I mean I think.
Speaker 3: That's just like you said before, I don't want to be like such a simpleton, but I guess I kind of am. Like I just want it to be special, Like I just want the feeling of like somebody went.
Speaker 2: Out and earned it.
Speaker 3: And I feel like in a tournament where you know, this winning score is twenty under and it's bunched up, like I don't know that that you're earning it the same way as grinding it out and separating late, like Aaron Ryan did. I feel like you need to give guys a chance to do something incredible that will be talked about for ten, twenty thirty years. And I think some majors have done a good job of that and some majors haven't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 2: PJ.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good place to end. Thanks for joining me on Championship Setup Ors.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: I feel like I had more, more, takes more to contribute here, so I'm happy to be moving up in the world.
Speaker 1: This was, as I said at the beginning, less a one on one session and more of a kind of uh. I don't know what you would call it. Yeah, it's not really even a tutorial, but it's one of the It's like what you do at Oxford and Cambridge where you're with like a graduate student or something and you're learning together.
Speaker 2: Wow, I mean graduate student. That's a big step for me.
Speaker 1: I don't know if well I'm saying I'm the graduate student, you might be the undergraduate and like we might we might I might be descending, you might be ascending.
Speaker 2: So you know, like a, yeah, we're both moving. Yeah, don't just stop making majors twenty under. It's fine. That's all I care about, all right.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, PJ, thanks for having me. This episode of Designing Golf was produced by Will Balsom. Thank you Will. If you've been enjoying Designing Golf, I can just about guarantee that you'll love what we're doing in Friday Golf Club. That's Friday a Golf's membership. Go to the Friday dot com slash membership to see what it's all about, but lots of fun stuff in there. We're building a community of avid golfers and golf nerds who like to discuss the game at all levels and go to these events that we put on and go see great courses and and.
Speaker 2: Do all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: So I would love you to join us in their Friday Golf Club. Thank you for listening, and we'll be back again soon with another episode.