Speaker 1: Family is to ask smiles, one Huggs Forever, laughter, blessings, Hello Straying, Good.
Speaker 2: Morgan, Sweet world, and welcome to the No Dunks Podcast on the Athletic Network, Wednesday, February fifth. I'm Jay Skeets and alongside me, as always, we got Task Millists.
Speaker 3: Hello task you.
Speaker 2: We got the beer to one, Trey Kirby. Heyo, hey yo. We got the international Man of Mystery taking it to the max, Leella's friends, and last but not least, making the magic happen. It's Jad. Hello, there he is, and here we are on a Wednesday. Happy hump Day. Follow us on social media Twitter and Instagram at No Dunk Saying. Follow us on Facebook at Facebook dot com slash No Dunks, Inc. I guess it's official. We're now on Facebook and email us your NBA questions and comments to No Dunks at the Athletic dot Com. We'll be stepping on the beach a little later today, so you've still got a few to get those questions in for that show, but keep them coming all week long. We're stepping on the beach every single week, but we start here on a Wednesday with a little Southern lawyer.
Speaker 3: We got all sales. A trade we do.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we got a big trade happening Tuesday night late Tuesday night, four team, twelve player deal. So we can tackle this by each team here, I think the Rockets. Let me let me set the scene for you. The Rockets get Robert Covington, Jordan Bell and a twenty twenty four second round pick by the way the Warriors. The Hawks get Clint Capella and Nane The Wolves get Malik Beasley, Juancho, Hernan Gomez, Evan Turner, Jared Vanderbilt and a lottery protected twenty twenty first round pick. That's by way of the Nets and the Nuggets. Yes, the Nuggets are the fourth team in the mix here. They get Gerald Green, Bats, Jupp Shabaz Napier, Noah vonleh and a twenty twenty first round pick by way of the Rockets. Wow Wow, wow, Wow. Where do you want to start? Which team do you want to start with? And what they got or what they gave up?
Speaker 3: Let's start with the juicy Rockets. Everybody wants to hate them. What are they doing? No center? I hate them? It is weird. PJ. Tucker is technically going to be their center. Robert Covington is their tallest player. He's going to be six to eight. But they're gonna be running out James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Robert Covington, PJ. Tucker, and Daniel House. Probably for now, they're gonna get killed by Anthony Davis and Nikola Jokich when it comes to playing them. That probably get somebody here in the next twenty four hours before. But on the offensive end, it's going to be interesting. Five guys out beyond the three point line, stretch it out, and I think it's going to help James Harden get into the lane and score, and Russell Westbrook, especially because he's not a three point shooter, get into the lane and score. So it's gonna help them offensively. And Clint Capella wasn't a big piece for them offensively. It's weird to say that, but they were thirtieth in place finished you pick and roll that according to Synergy Sports, and the great Kevin O'Connor. On the defense end is the scary part. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess that's not the concern of Daryl Mori, right, He's like, let's see if we can just score one hundred and fifty points a game, and if the other team can match us, that's good for them. But you wonder, of course, how much of this deal was made because they wanted to move on from Capella versus a directive from the ownership to say we need to shed some salary because which they did in this crist they did, and that certainly to me seems to be more overriding factor than thinking that Capella can't help them because they need him. I think they need so.
Speaker 5: But I think that the Rockets still in Covington are getting the best player that was traded in this entire deal. So they're shaving money off their cap, which is surely good for their owner, and they're getting the best guy. So this is no doubt a win for the Rockets. And honestly, I think Jordan bella do alright playing with Mike d'An TONI welcome to the rejuvenation machine that guy got Earl Clark paid if he goes and he's willing to be a switchy defender and just roll to the ram and catch the alley oops. There was hype about Jordan bell becoming the next Draymond green Back when he was playing with the Golden State Warriors. It was a big deal that the Bulls traded him for cash considerations. All of that has gone into the past. But he's a solid player who's played in big games. I think he'll be helpful at least sopping up minutes. You can't just have all six to six guys and one six foot eight guys, so at least I don't know, Jordan Bell's what six foot nine giant amongst men, but I think he'll be helpful. I think he'll be a good player in D'Antoni system.
Speaker 2: This is fascinating. This like pushing all their chips in on this idea of just going small ball. I mean, it makes it exciting. You were saying it on the other podcast. Ass It's like, all right, this is unique. Let's see if it can work in you know, potentially three or four playoffs series. They've done well so far. I mean in the regular season here when there's been no Capella, they're four and oh recently in this past week where he's not out there, and they're leaning into that, and they've got a really good record overall even when Copella's not playing.
Speaker 3: And they're good when he's on the bench and they're actually better at kicking the other teams. But because teams are definitely caught off guard, nobody else does it. Yeah, but that's it's different in the postseason, that's for sure. That'll change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Covington makes sense though on this Rocket team. I think we all agree with that, being a career thirty six percent three point shooter, so he's good from distance on a really good volume this year. Eight attempts per thirty six minutes from Pelton.
Speaker 5: There, that's gonna look like nothing by the time he's done with the Rockets. Yeah, eight attempt in thirty six minutes.
Speaker 2: That's like a half Yeah, No, you're right, and and yeah, they're not done. Look, we might have breaking news while we record this podcast for crying out loud, so somebody keep their eye on Twitter, of course. But Tim McMahon saying Houston does want or they're on the hunt, I guess for additional help at center.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 2: There's there's no move to be made here for like Andre Drummond or something like that. But they're gonna get up big yeah, yeah, who knows with him, but.
Speaker 3: They can't shoot. I don't think I don't think they would go get an Andre Drummond because okay, they're trying to I mean, ideally they'd want like at Brook Lopez, you know, like the Bucks do and spread it out and let Giannis roam, and that's what they do. They're just gonna play. Ioball And I think I mentioned Russell Westbrook getting into the paint. We talked about it last year. As soon as he gets beaten by was it the Jazz last year in the playoffs? The thought, sorry, it was the Blazers, the Jazz the year before, two years in a row. Russell Westbrook goes out with a whimper, a guy who is an MVP and obviously an all start and again and all start this year. But we look at him and say, that's I mean, that's not a great performance for an MVP. And this will help because he's not gonna shoot the three. He is going to be that boulder, that avalanche coming down that lane and hopefully he'll be able to score with no defender in there for a Clint Capela, a defender that will be you know, spread to the three point line. So it's gonna it will help them. And I understand people hate the Rockets, but I don't know, as a guy who's watched basketball for a long time, I'm excited to see something entirely different. Although I think, yeah, they're not done there. They need somebody big or else they're gonna get mopped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have to. And also, like what happens if PJ. Tucker gets hurt. I mean, you're they're asking him to do a ton already as a six to sixth guy to play center against some of these behemoths in the West. I mean, is it that far fetched that he goes down with an injury?
Speaker 3: Then then what I mean it's he's already injured.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right right, And I guess you could say, well Capella's injured as well. He's got pentterfescionatis. I get that, but man, yeah, they got to get somebody in case of emergency, another.
Speaker 4: Big, well even just game to game with foul trouble. If he's defending pigs too, I mean, he's you know, he's gonna have to use his muscle to try to slow some of those guys down. So but you know, this is this is fascinating with what the Rockets are trying here, and if it comes off, then Daryl Morey is gonna look like a genius, right, because it's never really been done before successfully like this, So he's just decided, what the hell, let's try it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, turning Capella into Covington Really all right, let's get to some of the other teams. So let's go with the Hawks. They're the one that get Clint Cappella here. What does everybody think about that? Their name has obviously come up the Hawks have over the past month or so with the idea of trying to get a center Steven Adams name, Andre Drummond's name, of course, you know, even a guy like Duwayne Denman coming back to the Hawks like the the idea that they need a center for the future, peers that they've got one in Clint Cappella. Does do you like the idea? Do you think the pairing of him and Collins could make sense? What's your take?
Speaker 5: I think of all the centers that the Hawks have been linked to, Capella is the best one from a combination of skills, fit and contract. Like I mean, maybe you would like to have Dwayne Dedman making a little bit less money, but Clint Capella is certainly better and I think fit wise, he's happy to just be a rim runner, and that's what John Collins is definitely best at. But maybe Collins can expand his game a little bit. He certainly seems to be comfortable trying to stretch out a little bit. But uh, I would rather have Capella than Andre drumming because think Capella, you're just gonna throw them lobs. You don't have to waste any time with post ups or anything like that. Cappella is more of an impact defensively. Drumming one of the best rebounders of all time. But Cappella is pretty close all things considered. So I think this is a win for the Hawks too. This is the rare trade where every team I think, good job.
Speaker 3: This is how it happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Hawks can afford to take him on with his salary too, because they've got so much cap space going forward that it's not really going to hinder them, you know, next season. So if it works with Capella, then they get a pretty good player out of this, and if it doesn't, then it's not going to sabotage him too much going forward in the future. So and John Collins, yeah, I think that he's more suited to just being a stretch guy rather than sort of being in the post there they want him. He wants to get out there shooting. He's more athletic, so having Compella behind him, I think is going to help. And then for Trey Young, it's good to have a guy who knows how to finish around the room. So I like it for the Hawks, and yeah, they were clearly looking for a big man, and I think they got a good one young guy contract they can easily afford, so it makes no sense for them to not make this sort of deal.
Speaker 3: He's good at definitely as a partner for Tree Young. I worry definitely about the overlap with Johnkins, John Collins, that's all he did. You come pick for me, come pick for me, And now he's yeah, he's gotta change up his game a little bit. But whatever you lose there you gain with Clinn Coppella at least being some sort of presence at the RAM defensively because John Collens ain't that and the struggles, oh bad, that's where they lose games. It's not an offense. So it's a chance they took. They gave up Brooklyn's first round pick in this and you know that's gonna be h fifteen approximately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifteen to seventeen probably, So there.
Speaker 3: It's worth Clint Cappella, who is cost controlled for the next several years at around fifteen to sixteen mil. That's a nice contract to take on. And yeah, they're benefiting from a really good contract that that the Rockets signed him to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they could always move if it doesn't work at all. And they're like, oh, Capella and John Collins can't play together, Well, they can move one of them. I mean, you're either you're either gonna move a very movable contract in Capella or you're gonna say, wow, we don't want to give max money like dollars to John Collins, so let's look to move him because that will be coming up here soon too. So yeah, I'm with you guys. I like it from the Hawks, and it didn't really cost them that much. They've already waved Chandler Parsons what I was just saying this morning, then, ay, I mean, I'd be shocked if he has not waved as well. So this is what they got. They got, they got a center. They're gonna try it out, pair them with Collins, and I do like the idea of going, you know, we talked about the Rockets moving away from Capella in the pick and roll, especially once Westbrook out there. But they used to do it a lot. I mean they used to do it a ton in Capella. Maybe that he'll be able to get back to that with Tree Young running that nine stop. That makes sense. What are the Timberwolves landed a pick that Brooklyn twenty twenty first rounder lottery protected you said task probably you know, fifteenth, maybe sixteenth, seventeen, somewhere in that range. But they go and get a couple of nuggets in giving up Coventon. What does everybody think of this? From the Wolves side of things? Are they even done? Is this all part of a bigger plan to maybe still try and get d'angela Russell or something else.
Speaker 4: Well, I like Malik Beasley coming back to them. I mean, Evan Turner's not going to stay. I wouldn't think, or certainly not beyond this season. Juancho, nah, you know, he's I don't. I don't think he's a part of their long term plans.
Speaker 2: Either Beasley and Wancho or are both restricted free agency.
Speaker 4: Yes, but I think with the situation there for Beesley and Denver, as someone had to go really, especially with the emergence of Michael Porter Junior and so Beasley, they move him out and the Nuggets get a pick in return for him. But the Wolves, you figure they are looking at making some sort of a bigger move here because this is not really going to change too much for them. For Karl Anthony Towns, I mean, Covington was apparently a good friend of his in the locker room Shooters Better Yeah, yeah, he.
Speaker 3: Fitted his friend Anthony town said he was the type of player.
Speaker 4: That you sort of think they need to surround more of with there with Towns, so you figure that there is something bigger happening. But I like Beasley. I think he can be a good player, and I just think there wasn't enough minutes for him in Denver. Now he goes to a situation where they absolutely need players and he could he could thrive in that role. So I'm gonna I'm gonna put this one down as incomplete because I think the Wolves are still they simply have to do something else.
Speaker 3: They got a first round pick and Malik Beasley basically for rober Covington.
Speaker 2: It's fine, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: It's a bit, it's a bit lateral. I guess, you know, they they need to get I think I wanted them to get more for Rubber Compton. But maybe Malik Beasley can go a twenty point per game. Guy, Wow, crazy, I'm going crazy right now. He won't be that, but he's a good shooter. Yeah, I'm a little underwhelmed, but at least they're planning for the future a little bit more a little bit, you know, with this the first round pick as well, and they're saying, Okay, well, this whole tigue, you know, situation here we're sort of going for right now is not the best idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Timberwolves were so unhappy with their point guard situation they just traded all of them.
Speaker 3: Skeets.
Speaker 5: You might want to move to Minnesota. I think you could get some time there in the backcourt because literally, who's going to pass the ball? Jarrett Culver, I suppose is gonna function as their point guard. Wiggins is a little bit of their point guard. But I mean, nobody's setting the table for Karl Anthony Towns, nobody playing defense. But that just means their pick is getting better and better. So I think that's the biggest win for this trade. For the Timberwolves is that they're gonna be even worse so they'll get a better player. And they got a pick. I mean, I know they wanted two first for Robert Covington, and he's the hottest name on the trade market, but Robert Covington isn't probably worth two first round picks, So they got one in a they can extend if they want to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they didn't give up their pick, which is the most important part exactly in that they talk about D'Angel Russell. If they're gonna get him, they're gonna have to give up their pick, and they got to hold onto that. So that's a win in that regard.
Speaker 2: And then the surprise team in this deal, I think that's fair to say was the Nuggets, because we were seeing some sort of form of these moves, the Capella to the Hawks, the Covington going to the Rockets. You know, we've been talking about this for a little bit, but the Nuggets sort of were not ever really involved in the mix. And then last night they are here. Were you shocked by that? You said, Lee that you thought, well, this makes sense moving on from those guys bas Lee and Wantrell, because they just don't have really minutes like they were getting minutes only because of injury. But you know, once all the guys are healthy and stuff like that, their back sort of to the end of the bench. Were you shocked? This makes sense? What do you think?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the Nuggets see themselves right now in a position to contend. But they also thought, well, you know what, we can also grab a first round pick out of this deal, and we're gonna have to lose one of these guys eventually at some point, so sure we can facilitate, we can jump in here. Whether it was going to be Monte Morris or it was going to be Malik Beasley, you figured that one of those guys wasn't going to be their long term So I think the Nuggets were just in the right place at the right time. They don't really lose any of their status as contenders in my opinion right now. Beasley, I think he's a good player. I think he can be a good player, and given an opportunity for more minutes than a bigger role, I'm interested to see how good he can be.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the Nuggets, Oh, with Michael Porter Junior, like you said, yeah, that's the first wing guy, and then Tory Craig is the best defender. Yeah, so it's like sort of Beasley's left in.
Speaker 4: The shop and they've still got Gary Harris out there as well. Who's you know here now for now? Yeah, I mean Gary Harris. They paid a lot of money too. He hasn't quite lived up to it. But again, I think you want to hang on to him right now. So yeah, if someone just says, hey, we'll give you a first round pick for one of these guys you're going to get rid of anyway, So you're sort of having a bit of an eye to the future, why not do that a few of the nuggets.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 5: They have a little bit more draft equity. That's a term I'm loving hearing a lot about during this trade deadline, all about that draft equity. They've got it now for guys who weren't in their rotation. I don't know if there's a bigger set of four people in North America Jancho fans than US four. But where's Wancho now? He's in Minnesota, which is good because he wasn't really getting any sort of run for Denver because Michael Porter made him expendable. Tory Craig has made Malik Beasley expendable. Shabaz Napier will be expendable because Montey Morris is there. So maybe you're able to put Gary Harris in a deal with Napier and this pick you just got and move it for somebody who's a little bit more, you know, a little bit higher quality player, and then you're just able to take this giant collection of good players you have and you're kind of funneling it into even better players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't take a step closer to the title. That's the I guess the unfortunate part if you're looking at this from a Nuggets fans perspective right now, they didn't get better in their rotation all that much. That's that's the thing that we expected them to do, you know, with thirty hours here before the trade deadline, so that could be in play. But they get a pick draft equity. Sure, all these other guys that came to the roster in Schabbaz Napier, Noah von Leh, Gerald Green, Cada, Bates d Up, maybe he's a player for them in the future. But I'd say that's the only guy that really may get minutes on this team. Yeah, maybe in the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like von Ley and Napier are like third string guys at their positions, right at the center, in point guard positions, So in case of an emergency to a Plumbley or a or a Morris at the point guard position. Yeah, yeah, I'm with you on that. They're just they're decent quality NBA players, but they're not They don't they're not even backup guys. The third string guys would you sometimes need when emergency happen.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, when when you do have injuries like that. But it's also a credit to the why the Nuggets have built this roster. They're deep. They're very deep, you know, so I think that they've gotten themselves into good position here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I saw Zilla write today about the Nuggets being the surprise team in this He wrote, you don't trade rotation players for picks when you're playing for championships. But I think the argument to that is, well, these guys actually weren't rotation players. Again, they were sort of forced into that role because of injuries, but they're not really, you know, long term, by any means, rotation players for this Nuggets team. With the talent above them sort of in the pecking order. That's where I sort of disagree with that, which is why I think they made this move. And you hit that pick and you get still some depths, you still got guys there, and they may not be done. They do really feel like a team that could have They have the guys, They have guys under the contracts that you can move for someone of a bit of a sexier, bigger name if if they want to make that move.
Speaker 3: But yeah, they get Houston's pick in this which is going to be in the twenties, which is another Basically they're going to draft another guy who is going to be eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve in their rotation, which they have a billion of because they have drafted really well. So it's time to cash in on those in probably get a better player. But they're excited for Michael Porter Junior to potentially be that perimeter star in twenty one, twenty two, twenty three. But should they wait or should they you know, cash in some of these end of the bench type guys in hope that they can get another star to try and try and you know, overtake Lebron and friends.
Speaker 2: Now overall, not a bad trade from all fourteen. I mean, you can understand what they're thinking. I don't love it for the Wolves because it's like, on one hand, you're like, why are we even moving Comington to begin with? But if they if they're hell bent on doing that and they've got bigger things in mind trying to get D'Angelo Russell and need a pick to do that, then yeah, okay, that's the reasoning. But yeah, from all the other teams, it's not bad. It's one of those like pretty decent, like you're sort of scoring it, like nice doing business with you. Yeah, like a b for every team. It almost feels like, so let's hear from you, guys. That's at least my opinion on it. Always fun to get a trade. Always nice to hear the Southern Lawyer. Hopefully we hear them many more times throughout this podcast or at least in the next twenty four hours or so. Had some other big news on Tuesday, guys. The Knicks fired team president Steve Mills, and the rumors I've started up once again that the Knicks have set their sights on the Raptors. Massaiu Jerie General manager Scott Perry. By the way, we'll oversee the basketball operations in the interim. So the Knicks two days before the trade deadline fire the head guy in charge. Not that he has had any success over the past couple of decades with that franchise. He's not even really losing, well, he's losing his title with the X. But he might be just moved somewhere else within the dole in organization. I don't know, something like that's great.
Speaker 4: Never really fired, you're just reassigned.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess I'll start with this task as a Raptors fan. With now an opening, an actual legit opening for team president of the Knicks. Are you worried with again this sort of swell of rumors that, oh, the Knicks are going for Messiujieri and there is an opening now and this could be in play. What's your take on all that.
Speaker 3: I got a little bit more worried when I saw the the report from Mark Stein that NBA Commissioner Adam Silver was pushing Massaiougerie to the Knicks. Now the league office totally declining that. And we've heard about these types of rumors in the past, like, hey, Brian Colangelo, go save the process Philadelphia seventy six ers apparently is what the Commissioner's office did, So that made me worry a little bit more. But I still don't think it's really Massai Jeri's moo to go to a team that's flailing in a major way and to go to a front runner, to go to a huge, huge organization and try and help them out. I think he's totally fine going, you know, playing with the Raptors chips and continuing there. I think he's more focused on growing the Africa League that's starting right now. I just don't see him as a front runner. I just don't see him like that. I just don't see him. Why would he do that?
Speaker 5: How's that front running to join the next they haven't had a winning season in forty five thousand years ago.
Speaker 3: Well, because it's the Knicks and everybody talks about them, and it's the biggest market in North America.
Speaker 5: I mean, that sounds like a great reason to take the job. If you're asking me, Vegas market in North America, bringing him back to glory after you've already done everything you can with the Toronto Raptors, I'm with you. After I saw the mark Stein report, I'm a little more nervous for my Raptor friends. I don't know how often can you just keep going back to the world. Does he want to be arc Buford? Does he want to really build the Spurs in Toronto and have a competitive, championship quality team every single year? That would be awesome if he does, or maybe he just wants to be a guy who is the hero in every single city he goes to and keeps growing and getting bigger and better everywhere he goes.
Speaker 2: Does he want to be a championship exactly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But he also is focusing on the NBA Africa League, where he talks about He's been in interviews basically inquired. He's been asked about like, hey, how can we build a huge, huge league in Africa and why can't we why can't we get a soccer team like Arsenal in Africa? And he goes, you know what, We're gonna build our own Arsenal. He wants to build things from the ground up. I just don't see him going to the next and trying something like that. But hey, it's the probably the third month that we haven't talked about it, so we've got to talk about it again. It's a rumor that just keeps coming back.
Speaker 4: I thought there's no way in the world he'd want to go to that chaok situation because no one comes out of there looking good. No one comes out with their reputation improved after working for the Knicks. But Michael Grange from Sports Now our Canadian friend there, he's got an articlup basically saying, you know that the Maple Leafe Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Raptors, declined to offer an extension to Messiah JII, who, even if he was offered it apparently, according to this article, was going to decline it anyway when his contract is up in twenty twenty one because he may want to test free agency. So there's certainly now some more legitimate people reporting that perhaps Messiah is actually willing to consider this offer. So that to me now gives it a little bit more traction that there are actually some real people talking that he might be intrigued by it, because it is the ultimate sort of everestrial, isn't it. I mean, if you are able to turn the Knicks from the absolute joke that they've been now for so long into a successful team and not necessarily winning the championship, but just a credible team again with a good repute. Then that's I mean, bessides her, He's going to be just the greatest president whatever role he encompasses there in New York that the league's ever seen, because it's a disaster right now, and you've seen people like respected people like Phil Jackson walk in there and then absolutely just humiliated as he left because he couldn't do anything, you know, And Mark Stein sort of says that in his article as well. We talk more about Phil Jackson as the disaster in New York than the eleven time NBA Coach Championship winning coach. So I can see from a challenge perspective, Messi having won, I mean, having won the championship with the Raptors is an enormous successful successful goal of his or successful achievement of his. If he can now go to the situation where no one has been able to succeed and succeed, then that would be incredible. But if the Raptors lose as well, Bobby Webster as well, because there's also reports that if Messi goes, he's going to he's going to bring his guys with him.
Speaker 2: That's what staying reporting that. Yes, I have been my sources say there is absolutely no way that happens that he would turn down Bobby Webster. If Massi were to leave, that he would turn down the rays slash the promotion that he would be in line for. That's that's that's what skeet sources because I was that was the first time I had seen something like that too. That report the idea of like Massi just taking everybody, and that is the other part, Like a guy like Messi who everybody loves. I mean, there's the concern as a Raptors fan, obviously him going to another organization, You're going, oh, well, who's in charge now? The second part of that is, well, guys like that that are that are so trusted and have so much respect, will everybody that they have in place sometimes follow them to the next place because they're like, I want to work for that guy. That's what really concerns me again, as a rap say, if we're missided, not just Massill, it's everything else he's got in store there. But you know, hopefully the organization of the Raptors that they've built and he's built up has such a strong backbone that it will still you know, still be fine.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: The final sentence in this article from grind short answer year he's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean and look the other part is it Massai couldn't up this in the butt if he wanted to. Yeah, right he And now maybe he doesn't want to for leverage reasons, contract reasons like why would he? I guess, but he could say he could very easily come out and say I am not going anywhere. In fact, I'm in negotiations to sign my next contract. The raptors have been over backwards, are gonna be anything I want, and rightfully so. But he hasn't done that. So why hasn't he done that? Is it again just a is it a money play power play? Or is he does he have his eyes set on somewhere else?
Speaker 5: Only time will tell. It just definitely feels more tenuous now than it did twenty four hours ago, for sure, And at any time I would say that New York has been pursuing Messiah. I think this seems more realistic than it ever has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again mainly because of the first thing I said, There is an opening that that is your job right there?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Does Dolan, because the classic Dolan does he like he can't sit on his hands for more than two minutes here, and he's got to play the blues, you know what I mean? But he gave does he does he go, Well, we're not waiting for Messiah, I know. Okay, Well, we're not waiting for him to decide and for him to drag us around here. So we're gonna go this. Uh you know agent Rout because there's rumors of that, and you know, obviously they were on to the next plan pretty quickly. Yeah, and maybe that happens with a guy like Door. He couldn't be shocked if that does.
Speaker 4: He's linked to all the ones who have been successful. We just want one of those ones, you know. We want we want to Bob Myers, you know, we want to rob the link and just find it's one of those.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: But I just talk about he would he would give up total or Tomny or Tomny? Is that right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean to messages to try to entice. But I'm pretty sure he gave that to Phil. I'm sure that Phil was like, I get to do everything I want and no one reports into me. Because I remember even seeing Dolan on a radio station saying, once you know Phil makes all the decisions, I don't, I don't get involved.
Speaker 5: There's conflicts of the Madison Square Garden radio station that you were running as an employee, as the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's conflicting reports about how involved a guy like Dolan is in the data day basketball operations. Some people say, no, he's actually pretty hands off and he hires these guys and lets them make all the decisions and stays out of the way. And then, of course the flip side is no, at a certain point when the fans start chanting sell the team, he because he you know, is crazy, freaks out and does whatever he wants to do because he's the man in charge, and fires the you know team prisident or does whatever he can in his power because he's like, oh, this is a bad look for me. I don't know. So I don't know what it is. Maybe it's both. From day to day. It probably changes with this guy.
Speaker 5: But by all reports it was Phil Jackson had autonomy and maybe that just comes because that's a guy that Jim Dolan really respects, and clearly that is the case with Messia Jerry. He has wanted Messia Jerry to be his GM since he talked himself out of the Kyle Lowry trade. And then that's where I think it really starts, because Dolan's like, if you wouldn't let me trade for Kyle Lowry, we would have won the championship. Duh, So I gotta get Messia Jerry. He knew just like I knew. But yeah, I think that if if Massi were to were to join the next he would probably have full autonomy at least until they lost three games in a row.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The other thing is people saying that the Knicks would have to give the Raptors compensation, which again would make no sense. If Massiah was to take over that team and lose a couple of first round picks to the Raptors, then you're starting from behind already.
Speaker 2: They've got some Mavericks picks in the mix there too. Yeah, there are picks that they could Yeah, I mean it all depends on the timing, right, Yeah, it's whether Yeah, that idea that you can trade for an executive, and you got they got to be careful with all the tampering of course and stuff. Here, maybe we've already crossed that bridge I don't know what is tampering right right, right, right, So we will see who right now. Scott Perry, Yes that Scott Perry is still there, Scott Scott and Steve Scott survives. Yes, Scott, you can leave Steve all right.
Speaker 3: We got our All.
Speaker 2: Star Saturday Night participants. They were announced on Tuesday night. Let's start with the dunk contests. We basically knew who it was, but it's only four dunkers. I'm very sad it's Pat Connaton, Aaron Gordon, Dwight Howard and Derek Jones Junior. We don't got to start making our picks here by any means. We might even save that for our live show in Chicago the night of all the All Star Saturday Night festivities, right before they happen. But yeah, only getting the four. I kept saying for weeks that we might get a bigger field. But maybe they just could get these guys to commit. I mean, de Zion Williamson injury probably came into play and John Morant declining it. So maybe there was an offer to I don't know, five or six guys and they just only got four okas, But what do you think.
Speaker 5: I wish I wouldn't have known who else was invited, because when you see Conaton, Gordon, Howard Jones, that's four good dunkers. You know, who knows what to expect from Dwight Howard after ten years off, Derek Jones Junior should be better this time around. Aaron Gordon is a legend in the game. Unfortunately, he'll kind of always be compared to twenty sixteen in Pat Connaton. You saw him last night sky and for the one hander forty four inch vert second highest at the combine. So maybe he'll be a surprise. Well, but when you go into it hearing oh man, Zack Lavine's been invited, John RAN's been invited, and then you see Connaton, Gordon, Howard Jones, it's a little bit of a letdown compared to those guys, but it's good for all things considered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and maybe Zach Lavine still shocks us all and says, hey, he's keeping it on the dunking baby. Yeah, I just won the three point condess. I'm dunking next.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for Dwight, I really am. I just want to see what he's got left in his tank, because he's an entertaining dunk contest guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have the lowest expectations imaginable for Dwight House. That's great, I really do, and that's probably the best way, yeah, to approach it. Yeah, I just I don't know. I just don't see because he's done. He's done the cool big man dunk, so maybe he's got more. But like, he's done the twelve foot you know dunk, twelve foot rim dunk, he's done the sticker dunk. He's done the crazy one where he jumped up and tapped it off the glass and we didn't even sort of appreciate it for how cool that dunk was at the time. I mean, like, what's left in his big man dunk bag? Well, yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: He pulled out some dunks we've never seen before. So I'm guessing he's got a few more tricks up his sleeve that he wants to show.
Speaker 2: Because those hops, like he quite did, they're.
Speaker 3: Not too bad.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the thing I want to I wanted to get on the twelve footer again and say if you can just throw that down, because just to see.
Speaker 5: Old old dunks, I mean, I guess it would be impressive. They're like, this guy is old now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ten years later, all those injuries he's had and he can still done good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the stickers are going to say thirty three or however old he is. Yeah, they say the last thing to go for a player is his hops. So yeah, he's going to bring it. They don't say that. Yeah, like Trey said ten years ago. My god. But they're going to be showman dunks is what they're going to be. They're going to have some sort of flare, some sort of plan, you know, with his teammates or out there or something like that. It's going to be more about the performance than it is going to be about the dunk.
Speaker 2: Chances are hig Dwight Howard it's going to embarrass himself here, come on. They're very very high in terms of the theatrical prop type thing. Does Superman make a return. He's got to bring back Superman, like, it's got to be happening. I'd be shocked if it doesn't. The one thing about Pat Continton, I just want to throw this in there, because you were joking, Well you actually weren't joking, because you hear it all the time. Forty four inch vertical I heard Nate Duncan talking to Danny LaRue last night. Apparently that's incorrect, because what happened at the Combine was they screwed up Pat Connington's standing reach, like they measured it incorrectly, which is what they do. They measure your standing reach and then of course the jumping to then see how how you get and do the math and there's your vertical. I guess they screwed it up. He's got a forty inch vertical. We still pretty amazing, but uh yeah, it's like just passed around and he's got the forty four inch vertical. But I guess he does it because they just messed it up. I don't know why that's so funny to me? Who knows what to expect from him. Either he's gonna do the classic white Man dunk. I did it in our dunk contest and throw it around his back, sort of do a cool reverse. It'll look fine.
Speaker 4: It's a tough Rex.
Speaker 2: Chapman has done it, and Barry's done it, and there's been others. Yeah, he'll be fine, he'll be fine. But really, it's to me, can Aaron Gordon replicate what he did againstzacch Lavine in his contest, or at least the first one in sixteen. And then can Dereck Jones Junior, being a little more experienced than this, bring it so we get an awesome head to head between those two guys. You just need to just need to. We always think.
Speaker 4: Aaron Gordon on T and T last night. Oh yeah, relaxed, he was. He must have been jet lagged.
Speaker 2: Oh that is if you haven't seen the club yet. Yeah, go look that up. Aaron Gordon appearing on TN T last night with Shack Sagg. How high can you get? Can you get that high? That's very very high? And yeah they really leaned into it. That's very funny. All right. Taco Bell Skills Challenge, we got the Smalls and the Biggs again. The Smalls are Patrick Beverley, who has won this contest before, Jason Tatum, who I guess is now as small. I think he won it last year as a big spencer, Dinwiddie and Derek Grows in Chicago. Canna get quite the pop there from the crowd, I imagine. The bigs are Sabonis at a Bio, Chris Mill and Pascal Siakam Skills Challenge still happening, and it's there. It's fine, it's over fairly quick, and sometimes there's an exciting moment or two. But I guess we're I mean, I don't know for sure, but I assume we're just going with the smalls on one side of the bracket bigs on the other.
Speaker 1: Is that the plan?
Speaker 2: Again, I guess.
Speaker 3: So, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at the Wikipedia page and it appears to me that Mike Conley faced Jason Tatum in the first round last year, right, So I guess that makes them Smalls'. So Tatum is still a small because Doncich went against Kuzma. I think those are the other bigs compared to Yokich and Lusevich. So I guess Tatum I thought he was a big too. Yeah, but congratulations to him on being reclassified as a small. They're continuing to be a small. But look at all of these former winners.
Speaker 2: We've got.
Speaker 5: All the smalls has skills titles challenges in their belt. So you know, this is very exciting for US Skills Challenge heads out there to see this kind of championship equity in the contest, the biggest one that.
Speaker 3: We've ever seen.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. Jayson Titum is listed at six eight and he's a small Chris Middleton is sixty seven and he's a big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't even overthink it. I'd like to see Westbrook involved in this somehow, like just staring at Beverly while he's doing the course or something like that. Give us a little more attention. Maybe it's in play. But the crowd is gonna go crowd's gonna go crazy for Derek Rose. That is gonna be the funny part. I mean, I hope he can hit the pass. I hope he doesn't botch the pass a couple of times. The crowd will really but they're gonna be going nuts. All right, Well, let's get to this. You know, I'm gonna get pumped about this. We got the three point contest. That's the final one. I saved it for last for a reason. Our contestants, participants looks nice, Davas Berton's Davante Graham, Joe Harris, the defending champ, Buddy Healed, Zach Levine going in the three point contest, now dunk contest, Damian Lillard got some star power, Trey Young as well, and then Duncan Robinson.
Speaker 6: Solid eight guys.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Here's the problem. The NBA has changed the format to this year's three point contests. They're adding a pair of deep shots that will be worth three points apiece. The ap'ce ten Reynolds was the first to report this travesty and then they talked about it on TNT last night. So the change means each round will now be a total of twenty seven shots instead of twenty five. The competitors will now get seventy seconds to finish all of their shots instead of the sixty. The two additional shots, well, they're they're deep bombs, man. They're six feet beyond the three point line. They're between the racks, located on the wings. They're in the mountain dew zone. The ball will be green. And again, if you hit those, those are three points. Why the fuck are we doing this?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 2: This is the definition of if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and here they are doing this. I don't get this. I mean, I went off on Twitter last night. If you want to go read my tweets and see, and I've cooled down a little bit, but.
Speaker 4: This is not much, but it sounds of it.
Speaker 2: Well, this is insane. To me, Yeah, it really don't get it.
Speaker 4: I agree, I don't think it's needed. I think with any of these competitions you're having, the worst thing you can do is to extend them. I think people want these over as quickly as possible. So to add ten seconds, to add gimme key gimme key shots, I think.
Speaker 3: Just makes it.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I think it makes it. It just drags it out even longer, and you don't need to. But again, the format of the ten seconds, I'm just saying, I'm just saying, no, you're just extending it.
Speaker 2: No, this is where you're actually wrong. This is where you're actually wrong. This is why the three point contest was perfect. Okay, there was nothing wrong with them. In fact, tell me if I'm wrong. You guys have been going to a lot of All Star weekends. You've obviously watched a ton of them. Has there ever been an All Star Saturday Night where people left that building and went, oh, damn, you know what really sucked? Three point contest was brutal man. I really brought the night down. No, it never happened. If anything, people would go, well, you know what was actually one of the better events All Star saturnity. There was a three point contest that was better than dunk contest. It was a little more exciting.
Speaker 3: Whatever it was.
Speaker 2: Always it always delivered because it's always it's just the best shooters in the world with the sixty seconds, which was honestly, it was like us shooting for fifty wedgies. It was just a perfect amount of time. You know, you sort of had to rush, but you still obviously could get it off. There was nothing wrong with it. It always delivered.
Speaker 3: It delivered. I wouldn't say you walk out of the building and say, gosh, the three point contest is just chilling me through my bones, right.
Speaker 2: I didn't definitely didn't say that.
Speaker 3: You said you're excited about it leaving the building.
Speaker 2: There have been nights, there have been definitely nights where we've been like the best part was also was the three point contest, because the dunk contest suck.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, yeah, more so more so because because it's like it's even keeled. It just it never gets too high and never gets too low. It's never amazing, it's never bad. It's never bad.
Speaker 2: It's like the No Dunk's podcast daily podcast. That's bad bad, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, it never hits it out of the park.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's always there for you. It's always perfect. There's nothing wrong with average, is my point.
Speaker 3: It's good. Listen, it is good. It is good to at least have something that will never disappoint because sometimes the dunk contest does. That's fair. I think I would rather than take away the rack with five money balls on it. I think they added that a couple of years ago. Don't see why they added that. That just changed the point value, just makes bakes numbers big. I'd rather them change that than take away two shots. These are Listen, there's two shots that they're adding where guys are shooting from now from from these spots. So like, who cares? I don't, I don't care. I mean, it's like everybody is doing it. That's exactly what My mother in law went to the Hawks game the other day. Somebody shot from the logo Trey Young did he shot from the Hawk's logo. She texted me and said, Trey Young is shooting from Alpharetta, which is an Atlanta suburb. It's a real Matt Devlin Chuck swirsky line hilarious, Like every broadcast says, he's shooting from the suburbs. So that's what casual fans are seeing. Why can't you shoot one ball, skeets. It's one ball, it's ten seconds, yeah, one ball from each yeh from yeah.
Speaker 2: So why not just put a rack there if you really want to.
Speaker 3: I hear too many again, There was no task.
Speaker 2: There was nothing wrong with the contest. There wasn't no so we didn't even need to try this and lead to go back to that point where you're like, you're worried about the extra ten seconds. This contest was so good that back in the day we used to split screen these guys and they would shoot at the same time. Yeah, and okay, it was fine. You know, you're trying to keep track of both sides of the screen. But they were like, you know what this contest is, so there's nothing wrong with it. People enjoy like to see a guy try and catch on fire from the three point lane. That they got rid of that. They actually made this event longer in terms of a television sort of production, so that's the flip side of it. It was like, this is great, let's just see each guy go and that has worked out as well. Now task is right. You know, why did they have to add that's the money the all moneyball rack. I'm with you. I hated it at the time because I love the history of like we can always compare, you know, back to like eighty six when this thing came into play, we can always compare. So that sort of screwed up the scoring, but at least it was still twenty five shots. And task these balls, these little mountain dew zones. The thing I hate about it. Here's the biggest reason why I hate a it. These guys. The best thing I would have done a three point contest, excuse me, is when a guy came which is on fire. Okay, he's hit, he's hit four or five, six in a row. There's a rhythm to it, the crowd starts building. You've been in the arena, you know that's true. And now, unless I'm mistaken, and these guys are gonna shoot these stupid mountain dew green balls at the end of their five racks, like, unless they're gonna do their five racks and then run up to the top to take these three point shots, these deep three point shots, well now you're gonna like you're gonna mess sort of with the rhythm of it all, because now you gotta end that second rack and go back to this weird green ball and shoot that from deep and it's just gonna be a different shot. Okay. Yeah, maybe a guy hits it and continues and you're right, But I don't think so. I don't think. I'm telling you right.
Speaker 3: Now, got the rhythm and he's got the distance.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't so. I I just really, I'm just so confused why you had to mess with with something that worked. That's the biggest problem.
Speaker 6: With it because of money. Is to sell a poison fizzy drink.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 6: No, that's sales initiative doing this. I'm bleeping all of mentions of that good. I knew Lee would be on my SAT the commercial.
Speaker 3: The commercial where the guy is calling the beads running down the bottle commercial.
Speaker 6: Okay, sure, but that's all it is. I think is just marketing. Is just the sales team was like, hey, we just sold We're making an extra five million bucks on the three point competition. We have to wedge this in somehow. It's has nothing to do with making it better. Or making it more excited. I agree with you, Skates, it's nothing wrong with the three point competition. They're just it's just a cash grab.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and ideally the winner would get some cut of that because every winner obviously, you know, makes whatever figure it is they win. Is it a six digit figure, is it is it a fifty k? They're all they're all very pumped to win the contest. They're all very pumped to win that extra money. And Mountain Dew is definitely sorry JD, I mentioned it again.
Speaker 6: It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: They're obviously paying to get those two spots on the floor. I don't know if one's a green spot one's a red, But sorry JD. They have two different products, multiple products. But yeah, the winner should also get a cut of that as well. Listen, they'll get rid of it next your skeets, right, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: This will be the dunk wheel version of the three point contest. I hope it will. I'm I'm convinced this will not make the contest any better. Yeah, And people on Twitter are disagreeing with me. They're like they love the idea of obviously the deep shots that these guys take. Like you said, task in games that Lillard and Tray they can pull up from there. I just don't think within the context of the way that's already set up. I just think it's gonna screw with the rhythm of these guys, which to me is the most exciting part. When a guy like Lee Ellis can even hit a couple in a row, and that's the fun part. And I just now, now you've got to go back to this longer range, and that will likely be a miss because it's a much more difficult shot, And then it sort of spoils the moment for me.
Speaker 4: It could have just moved one of the racks back there if they wanted to do it, that's what you want.
Speaker 2: I guess if you really gotta rock and jock this shit, there's no reason to do it like this is the thing with the All Star Game. Go nuts, get crazy, whatever you want to try, because no one likes it. It already stinks, so get creative. No one was saying that about the three point contest. We weren't saying it was garbage, or it was boring, or it wasn't delivery. No one was saying that that's that's my issue with this.
Speaker 3: But here we are people going to leave the building and say, God, that stupid spot back there behind the arc that killed it. Like if if it didn't have a big Mountain de logo and it was just an extra shot or or an extra rack because guys shoot from there? Now, will that kill it? Like if it was less of a gimmick, if it was less about money and it was more just about where guys shoot. I don't. I don't think people would be like upset. I don't. I don't. I don't think anyone's gonna leave the building and say, God, it's find a Mountain Dew bottle and crush it and throw it in the garbage. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's it. I mean yeah, recycle, Yeah, yeah, like what, Yeah, you should put more time on the clock and chug them out and do before you take the shot, and then if you chug it fast enough, you get an extra two points. But then, yeah, if you don't recycle, you lose a point. Like what are we doing? There's not.
Speaker 4: Just believe it, man, This does feel like a change just for the sake of making a change.
Speaker 2: I actually hope that Mountain Dew all this up. I hope it's on them and not someone else in the NBA office going wow, we got to make the three point contest better.
Speaker 3: No, you don't.
Speaker 2: I hope that this is just a cash grab. All the money Maury losses in China. They're like, we gotta get it back in Mountain Dew dollars. I mean, I like, I actually respect that more sell out at least I hope that is the reason.
Speaker 5: But I should have got a better sponsor. I think that's it, Mountain Dew. It's all about being extreme the three point contest. It's not extreme. Dunks are extreme, half court shots are extreme. We could have had a full on half court shot contest with a green ball. This solves everything. We're not messing with a three point contest. People love half quarters. That's what's missing with shooting stars being gone. Just back it up, chug Ado, knock down a forty five footter, and whoever makes the most of them wins a lifetime supply of Code Red.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a little disappointing that they're going to go back to that spot. It is going to be a green ball, so it's going to be different, and it's going to be a pedestal. Yeah, it's not a rack release. It makes it a little.
Speaker 2: It's also it's not gonna be that ridiculous of shot. I think people are maybe in their heads thinking it's like around half court. It isn't. It's not. It's like not even like a logo type of shot that we call, you know, logo liter or stuff.
Speaker 3: Like that, like we're the big three shoot there. Oh yeah, right right, four point shot or whatever they have.
Speaker 2: Well, see, I hope I'm proven wrong. I don't think it's gonna help the three point contest. And again, I just don't get why you had to mess with it at all unless it was just a straight up Mount Dew cash grab. And if that's case, Mountain Dew, talk to us, man, I'll hit you with the I'll hit you with the three point hot take coming up in five minutes. I'm gonna blow your mind, guys, all right, popping off like a fresh bottle of Mountain Dew.
Speaker 3: No good. You wouldn't wear the do the do belt buckley.
Speaker 4: We don't want that dirty money I do.
Speaker 3: He's gonna you're gone out from the podcast.
Speaker 2: You have to bleed me one hundred times, all right, So we're gonna be stepping on the beach a little later today. As I said, but let's get in the mood. Guys. Got a few questions for you already here. Hey, guys, do you have any predictions on who wins All Star Game m v P this year? Based on the format? I would put Trey Young as the runaway winner. P S. I'm once again disappointed in what you omitted in the last pun gun. Norman bowel, Baby, that's good. We were talking, well, what was it called, NBA diarrhea?
Speaker 6: Would we Tommy Trump trumbles?
Speaker 2: All right, Norman, that's good.
Speaker 6: That's a really good one.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, I go to do it when we have forever to think about it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I saw all this chatter going around on Twitter about the pun gun, and I was unsure of the category. I saw that Trey and Skeets were trapped in the the loop of diarrhea, but I was I was uncertain where it came from. Where did it start? Yeah? But it was it was it was all those super Bowl snacks, all the Super Bowl snacks, right, I can't pump for that.
Speaker 2: So that was from Frank in North York, Toronto. Great pun gun suggestion, but again, a lot easier when you've got some time to think about it. We're right on the spot. But I love it, Norman Bell, that's good.
Speaker 3: I was partaking, by the way I grabbed a virus from the hospital. I was in definitely partaking in the the challenge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Well, what do you think about All Star Game MVP. He's got Trey Young as the runaway winner. That caught me by surprise a little bit. I don't definitely think of Trey Young as a runaway winner as an All Star Game MVP favorite.
Speaker 5: But I don't think it's far fetched to see Trey Young winning an All Star MVP if he's able to hit a few logo bombs from that due zone get the crowd pumped up. I think he's definitely in the mix. If you're starting the game, you're in the mix. For me, the guy is gonna be Anthony Davis, only because he won All Star MVP when it was in New Orleans. I'm thinking maybe he'll want to do the same sort of thing playing in his hometown of Chicago. They come out and try and get him fifty points and twenty boards or whatever you had the first time around.
Speaker 2: Yet fifty two intennis.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so give me an Anthony Davis.
Speaker 4: I'd pick Russell Westbrook every year he's in it because he just doesn't know how to not play intently intensely. I know I can't. I can't get my words out.
Speaker 2: I pissed.
Speaker 4: Pronounce it?
Speaker 2: Whoa, I pissed. Pronounce it.
Speaker 3: Good? It's funnier, I kind of, I know it's it anyway.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Yeah, I just picked Wasser Westbrook.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, Okay, interesting about interesting about picking Westbrook again, though, Lee, I mean I hear your reasoning, sort of. You sort of got it out there. The last five All Star Game MVPs, though Durant last year thirty one points, ten to fifteen shooting Lebron twenty nine, ten and eight, a d the fifty two and ten, and then Westbrook won the two before that. One of them he started, one he did not. The point of that is in two and fifteen he came off the bench and scored a ton. But it is rare for an All Star Game MVP to calm off the bench. But Westbrook's already done it, so I guess it's in play that he could do it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not used to public squeaking, I piss pronounced. It had a lot of my words. That's the two Runnings classic stuff.
Speaker 3: That I love. What you looked at it?
Speaker 6: Hit up breadbox tonight to ask you, do.
Speaker 2: You have a sort of a favorite in mine right now? Or Trey Young?
Speaker 3: If you agree with that, I take you on a stead kompo. I think it's his time. I think you're right to win one because he hasn't won it yet. It's the same line of thinking as he had last year, but now he's an MVP. Time for him to go get one.
Speaker 2: And to add to that, I'm also teamy honest here. His team hasn't won yet against Team Lebron, so you know he doesn't want to lose three in a row to LBJ. Now he's gotta get a victory and he's locked in. And oh maybe because he can't do like his wrestling maneuvers before the start of an All Star game, like he can win the regular season, win his bucks. Maybe he's got to teach it to them.
Speaker 5: He's got a draft Damian Lillard. That's a musk.
Speaker 3: That guy loves wrestling.
Speaker 2: Hell be a perfect bear. Yeah, he should just draft all the wrestling fans are right and then do a little royal rumble and then come out and win MVP. One more here, one more?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: Hey? No dunkin Donuts. As a Canadian, I can't help but proclaim my affinity and loyalty to Tim Horton's. I've enjoyed Timmy's all my life, from the tim Bits to the iced caps to the French Manillas. I truly love this stuff, and I'm sure every Canadian are with me on this. However, I also spent a fair amount of my life traveling to the US on vacations, and sadly, Timmy's in the US just isn't the same as it is back home. Additionally, the main alternative for many Americans is dunkin Donuts, which I've had a few times myself, and I still believe that it's just isn't on par with Tim Horton's. I'm curious to know what is your take on this and how the adjustment period has been in trying to find an alternative down in Atlanta. Also, congratulations to Task and his wife on the new addition to their family. This is from Enrique in Toronto but born.
Speaker 3: In Mississauga, Saga shout out, yes that's right.
Speaker 6: Hey shot it from Saga.
Speaker 3: Would do we have to bleep this out too, JD. All this talk about French vanilla disgusting, all that sugar, ice caps, all.
Speaker 6: That, Hey pretty gross. So I had I've had an ice cap once from Tim Hortons and they're gross.
Speaker 3: Say you can tone it down with your milk selection and town down the sugar a little bit. Some people put chocolate milk in it. Crazy what wow, wacky?
Speaker 2: But you don't like tim Hortons, right, tasslic as a Canadian.
Speaker 3: You're not. I don't like the coffee beans. Yeah yeah, see that's why I wanted not my taste, not my The coffee is not all the good. Let's be honest. A tim bit, Sure, give me a sour cream glazed. Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: We discovered that some Tim Hortons don't even carry the sour cream donut or tim bit like the cafe version, the one that was by our airbnb in Toronto.
Speaker 2: Yeah what yeah, No, Tim Hortons has gone down a little bit in quality control.
Speaker 6: There's there's a burger king by Tim Horton.
Speaker 2: You used to be able to go to tim Wartons and you it didn't matter the line that was there, you'd be in and out in minute. Yet under I went up before I was coming over. When we were stuck up in Toronto doing the show talking to these guys down here, I would sometimes be in in a Tim Hortons for fifteen minutes getting a coffee.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was that poor on getting a bad coffee.
Speaker 2: I have to say, well, yeah, I mean I I it's fine totally.
Speaker 4: When my very first moved to Toronto, you know, everyone's telling me about Tim Horton, and I went in there and I started getting the double doubles, I was like, yep, great, throwing me a blueberry muffin too perfect. I have to say. I have to say, with time and maybe growth and maturity, coffee just not that special. I'm sorry all my Canadian friends and family and people I love there, but.
Speaker 2: It's not that good.
Speaker 5: There's a reason the double double is the most popular. You're getting a lot of milk and a lot of sugar. You're overwhelming the coffee. It is equivalent to Dunkin Donuts.
Speaker 3: They are the same, Yeah, exactly. They're the biggest chain and that makes sense, right.
Speaker 2: A lot of people think McDonald's has better coffee than both of those. They've ever had all three like close enough together to know how they compare.
Speaker 3: Donalds even has a dark Rose.
Speaker 6: Harts.
Speaker 3: No, they do. Yeah, they're trying to compete. I do like how they pour it you or your coffee. They pour it from that old style diner Caraffe. Yeah, into it tastes like.
Speaker 2: Carap Sorry, Enrique, you know, not the biggest Timmy Hoes fans here in the world, but I look when I go home.
Speaker 3: I grab one.
Speaker 5: Every time we've been in Toronto since we since we moved, I've gone to Tim Horton's and got a double double in a maple dep.
Speaker 3: This like that choice.
Speaker 2: The smell of Tim Hortons is better than the actual taste of Tim Hortons.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Think about that for a second. All right, let's get to tweet the night.
Speaker 3: Tweet over night. Wow Twitter, Yes, I.
Speaker 4: Was on tweeter the night duties last night and has always have got one this morning, now, ski Se you kind of referenced actually early you sort of mentioned it that Chandler Parsons has been waived by the Atlandhawks, and WOS tweeted that out, saying he's been waves and he's expiring twenty five point one million contract to create roster space to complete the fourteen trade. So that really turns the page and ends the four year contract that Chandler Parson signed back in twenty sixteen, ninety four million dollars he signed for in Memphis. Can you guess how many games he played for that four years and ninety four million dollars?
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay, that's tough.
Speaker 3: Four years. Well three of the zip this year? Did he get on the floor?
Speaker 2: He has played.
Speaker 4: He has played games.
Speaker 3: This year, handful last year with the Grizzlies. Put me down for.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, forty eight.
Speaker 3: That's a good guess.
Speaker 4: For you.
Speaker 5: Oh man, No, no, I can't, can't do it.
Speaker 3: Give me seventy seven, Give me sixty two.
Speaker 4: No, he played officially in a total of one hundred games. One hundred games.
Speaker 3: He played for.
Speaker 4: Yes, he played thirty four in his first season, thirty six in his second, twenty five last season, and five this season.
Speaker 3: So a million per game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just yeah, I mean, yeah, pretty sad. He's obviously away from the game right now dealing with some injuries he sustained in a car accident. But his NBA career maybe over a tough way, of course for it to win there. But yeah, those injuries, those Knay's just never were able to hold up for him.
Speaker 3: Are that?
Speaker 4: So definitely looks like we've seen the last of chan La Passa's playing in the NBA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite possibly. All right, let's get to pick them results from Tuesday night in the Association. Task ties it all up. We once again had a big line involving the Spurs. This time it was the Lakers. They were favored huge and they covered no problem. Lebron James catching fire. I know we didn't get a chance to talk about some of the games last night because we were talking about the trade and we're talking about the Knicks, and then I got upset about the three point contest. But it was nice to have Giannis versus ion and then we had this Lebron turning into Steph Curry for a second there hitting all those three. So anyway, Task gets the win. Everybody else takes the loss because we all had the Spurs to cover, So everybody's one and one early in the month of February. Also, we know Task has to pay off January's Pick Them lost. We got something in mind maybe for the live show in Chicago. We won't tell Tasty about it, but this could be pretty fun. So we might be sitting on that one a little bit, but don't worry. We'll get it up on of course social media once we do it and all that. But anyway, what's tonight's game? We're all tied at one game apiece.
Speaker 3: The Clippers who play the Spurs in our opening game for the pick and payoff on Monday Night. They're hosting the Miami Heat. Heat come to town. Heat obviously a very good team this season. They're thirty four and fifteen, the Clippers thirty five and fifteen, their best fifty games starting franchise history. And the line seven and a half for the Clippers at home.
Speaker 2: Wow seven and a half.
Speaker 3: And baby on ESPN, O what you get.
Speaker 5: Clippers are rounding in the form. They've been playing some of their best ball lately. So I'm gonna go with the Clips.
Speaker 4: I think I'm gonna take the Heat. Is I think I think seven and a half? Is that what you said?
Speaker 3: Seven and a half?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so eight points. I'll take the Heat to cover.
Speaker 2: That, so will I because I think this is gonna be one of these very very like one point close ones, and my gut says it's gonna be like a six point Clippers win, so which is why I would go with the heat. I'm with the heat as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give me the national TV game for the Clippers. I think they can hold them off by eight or more.
Speaker 2: All right, two of us got the clips, two of us got the Heat. That's it for this day edition. Yeah, always always, but the average for us seed the bar is so high for us that it's a great average to have.
Speaker 5: Always classic exactly you're right, right, Yeah, yeah, I guess it's hard to figure the true quality of each individual show, and they're all classic. But like you're saying, we're always here for you.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, And we're gonna be here for you later today too, because we're gonna be stepping on the beach. So get your questions in no dunks at the Athletic dot Com and you'll hear from us soon, and who knows, we'll probably have a trade or two by the time you've downloaded and listened to this.
Speaker 6: You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up, Love you guys, awesome.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us. I remember this show was brought to you by Mountain deude, Embrace the code red.
Speaker 6: You could stay oooh every day, and and you happy every minute. It's been so long that you're the mona.
Speaker 3: Wait for it's happened already.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be grippy.