Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboys This He's Talking Cowboys, screaming live.
Speaker 2: From the Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco. Six past second, Pat got Pitta hen paint touchdown.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts, Isaiah standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: For one final time in the twenty twenty four NFL season, Ladies and gentlemen of Talking Cowboys Nation, we welcome you to a.
Speaker 3: Say you with it chest for right up here on Talking Cowboys, presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company.
Speaker 2: You heard that right? That was a rich Mocha? Open it up? Got one side?
Speaker 4: Holrah, here's another one.
Speaker 2: Oh that was crispy Crispy.
Speaker 4: Wuld you call it? Would you call Isaiah? I'm sorry, Rich Mocha.
Speaker 2: That's the name of the dream. Oh, the name of the drink. I thought that was where you're calling Isaiah.
Speaker 4: Let's spit it out of the glass. You got him, you go. That's one way to derail the beginning a rich Crispy.
Speaker 5: Yetty, I'm not that dark, Okay, Kyle and world, I believe.
Speaker 4: It's around all right.
Speaker 2: Can you tell we've done a show together for five years now?
Speaker 4: Wow, that's crazy. Rich Crispy nickname.
Speaker 5: He's gonna be in a new shirty make a shirt out there, rich Man, Josh and No see Kyle.
Speaker 4: And being back and Rich Crispy.
Speaker 5: Sorry by your quaker Internet got the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Might as well, all right, Chris Chris beave in the back, Patrick Nocy, Walker, Josh Roderiguez, Isaiah stand back. I'm Kyle Yelman's so final say it with your chest Friday of the twenty twenty four campaign. The Cowboys taking on the Commanders this week and happening it kind of it's starting to have that feel where it's just kind of sad, you know. Yeah, it's like the last day at school a little bit. Yeah, but it's almost like the last day of school, except you didn't pass any of your classes. Oh you got to redo it. I mean it's true though, the expectations coming into the year we're so sky high.
Speaker 6: It's not it's not that it's like you you finished the grade, right, yeah, and now you have summer school.
Speaker 4: That's what it is.
Speaker 6: We're not done working, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've had a lot time.
Speaker 4: I could see that. I think you're both right.
Speaker 7: Yes, you sailed because you were a summer school. Is still not enough to get you enough credits. Still not going to get you enough credits to avoid retaking some of those classes.
Speaker 2: Both are either we're running it back like as is and we're going to another down off season and you're going into a coaching staff that, of course has half of the fan base sold sold in or bought in and the other half of the fan base completely out. It's just it's gonna be interesting one way or the other. How they attacked these next couple of days. Uh, any indication on anything moving forward as we get into news and those path.
Speaker 7: No, there are there are any even any whispers as far as like the coaching stuff.
Speaker 2: Is sent out like five tax messages over the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 7: Radio everyone is no, no, no, it's radio silent. And I mean you could interpret that however you want. You can say it's radio silent because the cowboys are going to move on and part ways with McCarthy and his step or you could say it's radio silent because they're not and that's why it's radio silent. So can you I'll leave that for interpretation, but as can.
Speaker 4: You remind the people what contracts are up? Yes? Can you remind the people what they is?
Speaker 2: Yes, it'd probably yes.
Speaker 4: Everybody everybody like when are they up? Like? Are they up? Like they're up? What's the season concluded?
Speaker 2: So it's one week following the final game, right, that is the end of the contract.
Speaker 6: Won the final game of the season of season.
Speaker 4: Wherever you tend.
Speaker 2: Yes, So if you lose in the wildcard round, it's the week going into the divisional round. It's the divisional round, so we going into conference championship, that kind of thing.
Speaker 7: So it's not like players where players their contract is technically through the beginning of the league year in March.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not the same with and then if it's.
Speaker 2: Scouts or front off as personnel, that goes until the draft. So if your contract, let's just use Will McClay as an example. Will McClay he's going to be he's a contract that is also at the end of the draft, but they go up until the week after the draft.
Speaker 4: So the first week people know who Will McClay is and what he's done.
Speaker 2: If you're a die hard Cowboys fan, absolutely you should know.
Speaker 4: They should know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if casual Cowboys fans really know. But vice president, player of personnel, one of the go to guys in terms of the draft and player acquisition across the board. Uh, he's gotten you a lot of great.
Speaker 6: If he's a Pro Bowl player, Wila found him. Yeah, that's a good way to put it, you know.
Speaker 2: Or Will McClay staff. I want to give a lot of those guys.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no. So when you say Will McClay, you speak to his entire staff. Yes, that's correct. If Will McClay was a player, would it be a really good player, would would be all pro Hall of Famer. It's one of the people to know.
Speaker 7: Will McLay is a culture changing scout and director of scouting for any organization. So I mean, yeah, he would not only be a Hall of Famer, he'd be a first ballot Hall of Famer, shooting absolutely.
Speaker 5: But you just want people to have the understanding of the severity of how important, how important he is. As you talk about the players, you talk about the coaches, Will McClay might mess.
Speaker 4: I will say Will McClay is the most important piece on the board. Listen, and the things the organization across organization.
Speaker 5: I talking about in contracts that are uh yeah, and I would I don't know if people understand.
Speaker 7: That, yes, and it's not spoken of enough as far as his free agency to come because I think fans and rightfully so, they've kind of been spoiled by the last two or three attempts at outside teams reaching in to try to get Will McClay. Well, McClay loves Dallas and he's very rooted here by way of his his son, his.
Speaker 4: Family and his family. But now what's happened.
Speaker 7: There, Yeah, high school and graduating and so yeah, the ties are starting to kind of wither. And so we'll have this conversation as this off season goes along.
Speaker 4: But I say that to say, there is.
Speaker 7: At least a chance that you lose Will McClay, and you just better hope that you don't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because he's gonna have a lot of suitors regardless, so many specifically every team, all the suitors as a general manager opening will.
Speaker 4: Be on the phone.
Speaker 7: Even teams that don't have an opening might be yeah, maybe just might be off the board because it looks like they're leaning toward Lewis Rick. But yeah, but for the most part. They just had an interview with him yesterday. I want to say, yeah, but that would be a quicker thing. They want to do something quick, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It would take another one of these teams that I feel like is okay going into the draft.
Speaker 4: Listen, let me tell you what you really don't want.
Speaker 7: As the Giants worked through the Joe Shine situation, dot dot dot filling that blink.
Speaker 5: So so all right, So just just for synopsis here, if teams wanted to pursue mister McLay, when could they?
Speaker 6: Mm hmm, that's a good question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's what I'm asking about. The days you know, Yeah, that's the front office person.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the tampering or last.
Speaker 4: Before. Yeah, that's what I'm asking about.
Speaker 5: And exacts like that's when does all that stuff hit, right, because there's going to be after this Sunday. Can teams all of a sudden sorry blowing up will Clay's phone or do they have to wait until playoffs or over or do they have to wait until March.
Speaker 2: To the drafts over because his contract goes through the draft. But if I'm just thinking, and this is general NFL employees, this is the same thing for us.
Speaker 4: I have the answer if you do.
Speaker 7: As far as the GM, if he's interviewing for GIM, immediately when that team's respective season ends, front off at an existing front office personnel guy. If he's interviewing for GUM, he can start so sir, Sunday, once his game is over, teams could start calling.
Speaker 4: So Sunday, three pm, three thirty more, let's give it. That's that's that's.
Speaker 2: Interesting because I know from a staff standpoint, if a team were to look across the board and look at it. Let's say the Minnesota Vikings wanted Patrick's service is as a full time employee of the Cowboys, they would have to get permission from a vice president or a president of the organization, which would be I believe Stephen Jones would have to give correct the go to. And that's for Patrick. We're not talking about Will McLay at that in time. You know, like it's still pretty regimented across the way. But if that's the case when they're talking about general managers, his phone better be on loud at four o'clock. Somebody take his phone. Let's just do that.
Speaker 4: Somebody phone, Just just a question.
Speaker 2: You're very inquisitive today.
Speaker 5: There aren't any salary caps on executives.
Speaker 4: There aren't any salary caps on general managers, blank chick type stuff. Yeah, as I is asking for the fans, he's obviously just for of those that are just uninformed, you know, like myself.
Speaker 5: There's no restraints from other desperate organizations in terms of how much they can offer.
Speaker 4: They can throw the largest bag you can think, and you would never know what that number is. No, they don't have to just was it so blank check, non disclosure. Okay, just just s put it out.
Speaker 7: And the roots are loosening with McLay and Dallas.
Speaker 5: There's nothing locking him down to Dallas.
Speaker 2: And I don't like what you guys are saying.
Speaker 4: I'm just wanting what was the reality.
Speaker 2: Here's what's the fact of the matter.
Speaker 7: We're saying, hear me, Okay, guys upstairs and disconnect.
Speaker 4: His phone because it's very.
Speaker 7: We're saying, get ready, get ready to play big boy balls off for Will McLay first, and get it done before listen. I would say, you haven't started talking to McCarthy yet, and ninth simmer okay, cool, get McLay done.
Speaker 4: First, Get it done right, now Now when the cow.
Speaker 7: Always that you want McCarthy's from, then you want to know one decision Monday to I want to know Will mcclay's future when the clock hits zero the command.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm down and that's the reason why I'm I'm clowning around, but I'm being serious. Yeah, people are talking about the head coaching job as if that's the most important decision that Cowboys have to make. That is not the most important decision that Cowboys have to make. They need secure Will McClay. I need people to understand it. And I know people are gonna look and say, well, the last few draft screw all that up that.
Speaker 4: You better secure Will McClay.
Speaker 5: If you want, if you think that you need to sign a head coach or make a decision on your coach over the next week, then to your point in the.
Speaker 4: First hours after the game, you better be soon as the game's over. Here's the new offer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's because if you wait, if you wait and we only goes up, Listen, that number is going to exponentially go up, and you may.
Speaker 4: Not ever know what that number is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know what you're going up.
Speaker 4: Again, you don't know what.
Speaker 2: You're competing against because he doesn't have to disclose that.
Speaker 7: No, listen, and to your point for those that are saying, oh, well, the last couple of drafts, drafts, batting average, batting average, Oh yeah, that's always my reply for that.
Speaker 2: He's still hitting like three to ninety and that with like elve homers, And I mean, how many how many Pro bowlers did he have this past year and they're all coming from his ideas.
Speaker 6: And coming from an embarrassing performance throughout the entire season. You still have five Pro bowlers at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: And we just finished talking before we move on to the next topic.
Speaker 5: If you were this is first speaking for any general management, right, not general matter.
Speaker 4: Sorry, that title belongs to somebody else.
Speaker 5: Sure, if you speaking to the senior whatever executive executive.
Speaker 2: The one that runs player personnel, there you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whatever the title is.
Speaker 5: Yes, if that individual were to leave or that individual work should come into an organization, they usually take their entire staff.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so there's not just one person. It's not just one person. You lose the entire department. It's like a coaching change. Because they could keep some guys, they could.
Speaker 2: Keep elements but most of the time or they could elevate from within. There's a lot of very capsule guys on that side of the buildings and girls, but typically that could elevate to.
Speaker 7: A and some of the scouts will not want to be abs depending on where Will McClay lands.
Speaker 4: However, Yes, I'm with.
Speaker 7: You on this, that individual will want out people extremely low oil.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 7: So because of the problem, will you will lose ninety seven percent of your scouting department if you.
Speaker 5: Don't hire it from within, right, Yeah, I just want people to understand how important that person's name is.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be wise that just needed them to understand that. Thank you guys for the.
Speaker 2: Events and not to mention if we if we go back to I'd probably say this is the twenty twenty five NFL Draft is the most important draft for the Cowboys since twenty sixteen. And you hit in twenty sixteen partially because of Will McLay. You hit Ezekiel Elliott, you hit Dak Prescott. You're coming off a year where you were top five in the NFL Draft. You're going to have a top fifteen pick most likely going into this draft. This is crucial because even in twenty twenty, when you lost Dak Prescott and he was out for a significant time, you had the confidence that, Okay, he's coming back and we're gonna get a dude. You ended up getting Michael Parsons in twenty twenty one, and you were off and running from that point forward. I don't think you have that confidence around the roster going into this April's draft. You have to hit on this draft twenty twenty five is a must hit for the Cowboys, no if fans or butts about it.
Speaker 5: And those scouting departments scout not only other free agents, not only people whose contracts are coming up, not only for potential trades, but you're scouting your own personnel as well.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: So if you guys need any kind of comparison, look at what the Giants just did this past year. They scout at Saquon Barkley before making the decision on Saquon Barkley. That wasn't just a GM just siting up there saying, ohay, we're moving on. He relied on his scouting department to say, you know what, yeah, he's he's losing a step. We'll have options. So understand how decisions are made within the executive organization. You rely that individual in power to make the decision. The general manager gets his insight and majority of his information from his scouting apartment.
Speaker 4: So look at what the Cowboys have done, and then.
Speaker 5: Look at what the Giantses did and how detrimental that decision was from the information that was received from the entire scouting department.
Speaker 4: That's why they're all on notice. Yep, it's true.
Speaker 2: And they also took Daniel Jones with the fourth overall pick in the NFL draft back in twenty nineteen and paid him yea, and paid him forty million.
Speaker 6: Dollars a year, and you basically chose him over safe one lunch day.
Speaker 2: True. All right, any other news and nots before we take our first break.
Speaker 7: No, we didn't mention the Pro bowlers. So shout out to the five guys who were able to earn another Pro Bowl.
Speaker 4: Nod say their names, and we shall say their name, and they shall appear, and they shall appear.
Speaker 7: We got Cavante Turpin, we got Brandon Aubrey, we got City Lamb, we got Michael Parsons, and we got Tyler Smith. And each one of those guys in their own way, has entered the history books with earning this twenty twenty four Pro Bowl nod, and most notably, I have to, you know, draw a circle around a guy like Cavante Turpin when you talk about his journey to this point, and Brandon Aubrey when you talk about his journey.
Speaker 2: Fossil man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, look at my goodness, look at what he's doing with these guys. Man CD able to earn another Pro Bow nod with one arm, right. Michael Parsons just lit the defense, helped the defense light on fire when he got back from his injury. Has become that leader that everybody was wondering if he could become.
Speaker 4: And Tyler Smith, Tyler Smith amazing consistency. That's it. I just say his name. Brandon Aubrey XFL experiment.
Speaker 6: Also on Tyler Smith really quick. Fourteen of the last fifteen years have included a Dallas Cowich starting offensive lineman in the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 6: That's pretty darn good.
Speaker 4: It seems good.
Speaker 6: He kind of figured out the offensive lineman of it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tyler Cooper b is getting there.
Speaker 5: Turpanes write a book or have a story made for him, because his story, Hey, Aubrey Aubrey for sure, but the book going to.
Speaker 4: Be I don't know, type beat. Maybe maybe I think you should claim that read read Okay, all right? That was so bad.
Speaker 5: His journey man, that was his story is one of resilience, betting on yourself and when preparation meets opportunity, like it's like literally the picture of that.
Speaker 4: His dude's entire life changed.
Speaker 6: Sorry, did you guys feel a way about his comments after this this last game, after the Philly game.
Speaker 2: It was frustrated.
Speaker 6: He was really frustrated, and I appreciated that candor from Cavante Turpin, but just curious as to what y'all thought about his comment.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 5: I don't I think he could have chosen chosen his words more wisely, but I liked his his meaning behind it.
Speaker 6: But how can can you really fault him for winning the ball? And he said it yesterday, He's like, when the balls in my hands, I am dangerous and that is proven every time, and.
Speaker 7: It's proven to be true. It's it's not just a jag. It was just like, throw me the ball, and you're like, nothing supports them throwing you the ball?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: A couple drops in there that are pretty concerning.
Speaker 4: But for the most part, Cavant turping with the ball in his hand.
Speaker 2: When he gets the ball secured into his hands, he's great, phenomenal.
Speaker 4: We just got to get it.
Speaker 7: Plus he's one of the you talk about winning culture and you want dogs in the locker room. Comments like that come from a dog. So when the dog starts barking like that, I don't feel a way because the volume of the bark is too loud.
Speaker 4: Bark, dude, bark you.
Speaker 8: Know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Like you, you're one of the reasons that this season wasn't worse than what it actually could have been. Right, So, yeah, he's a competitor, he's a playmaker.
Speaker 4: He wanted the ball, love it. Maybe give him the ball.
Speaker 2: He restricted free agent this year too, but yeah, exactly as.
Speaker 4: Two time All Pro Pro Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see what all pro he could make it all protein.
Speaker 4: Bro, It's crazy.
Speaker 5: You go for making probably sixty grand playing in the UFO, a UFL, you know, just like on the brink of possibly going back and just finding a regular job. If not, he probably had a regular job in addition to that, maybe and now you're making millions doing what you left.
Speaker 4: About to make morege the play season for the Dallas.
Speaker 5: Price keeps going up. Every time you make a Pro Bowl, your price goes up. I mean, it's it's freaking awesome, man. I'll watch that.
Speaker 6: Story absolutely shouts to him. Do you think his turns at as running back? Basically? Do you think that that plays any impact on his role next season? Do you think we give him more of a.
Speaker 4: Chance in the backfield.
Speaker 7: No, you don't know who your h C and O C are next season, so can't answer it right now.
Speaker 4: That's tough. Can't answer it.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's take our first break with you boys when we come back. It's a it's been a rough year for the Cowboys, no doubt about that. But I want to have a lasting impressions talk because our final show of the regular season. We'll get into offseason talk next week, but I'm going to take a look back and see what will you remember about this campaign regardless of what happens in Washington this week. We'll answer that question when we come back with more Talking Cowboys right after this. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee. Today.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per all.
Speaker 4: But the good news is.
Speaker 9: Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five gas.
Speaker 10: Secure five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 4: See add dot com slash five G for.
Speaker 2: You for dy deals. It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys. Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus. Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 4: If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 11: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 4: Be beat better.
Speaker 11: Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 4: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: To talking Cowboys. Welcome back to Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. Get your rich Moca today, it's extra crispy. Don't worry about it. This portion of the show has brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 6: Use the Quake r coat in the corner to purchase your oats on the Internet.
Speaker 2: I swear once a week, or at least once a month. Isaiah just tries to get all of us fired by doing something.
Speaker 4: Sid What did I do today? You made me call you a rich mocha. You called me a rich crispy. Actually it was rich krispy, rich crispy.
Speaker 2: Remember we're wrapping up five years on the show together.
Speaker 4: Can you believe that? Oh my goodness's why we started.
Speaker 5: We started in our own little places this season. Yeah, years looking over zoom calls. Biemer sent me my little light kit and a little microphone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, keep the pushing.
Speaker 4: I remember when I still have that light too, Beamer Derek.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I remember it like it was yesterday. Derek gave me a call and it was in the middle of the off season, going into twenty twenty, and he was like, Hey, I want to get this guy involved. He's former players, he won a Super Bowl. I want to try and find a way to get him on the air. Do you feel like talking would be a good spot for him? And I was like, I have no idea who this guy. I have never heard of stand back in my life. And he was like no, I heard him speak at my church and he was he's very well spoken. And I was like, sure, why not, Let's give him a shot. And then the first time Isaiah got on, I was like, man, this dude's going to be something special. But this is going to be something cool. So I always remember that it was funny, tam I I was totally on the toilet when Derek called me, But so I remember why I remember the whole thing. Why didn't like it was yesterday? Because it was funny? Why didn't we it was hilarious. I like opened the door and everything so that way it didn't sound like I was in a bathroom.
Speaker 4: Did you think about like ignoring his call?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I totally thought about it, But I was like, you know what, it's Derek, this might be something important. Sure enough, he was trying to put Isaiah stand back on the show.
Speaker 4: I was like, that couldn't mean it.
Speaker 2: Ten minutes, this is gonna be on the that call.
Speaker 4: You couldn't wait to call him back, Like I didn't know what.
Speaker 2: Was going on now my first year of hosting. Remember I had just started. Yeah, he just started. I had just started. We started the same time.
Speaker 4: Look what you did.
Speaker 2: So I was like six or seven shows.
Speaker 5: When Derek show comes on, you have to ask him. Did you know that Kyle was tole not know?
Speaker 2: He did not know.
Speaker 8: First of all, I'm not going to ask on his show. It's not that kind of show. It's not like hanging with the boys. We can ask stuff.
Speaker 5: I'm calling you, I'm calling it jeez.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there you go a little inside.
Speaker 7: So Kyle got me hired wind winning a Bowl game.
Speaker 6: This off season whenever.
Speaker 12: We were getting the whole show. But you brought it, brought it up.
Speaker 4: This is your night.
Speaker 6: We're getting ready to do the show. And I was like, you know what, we should give this Patrick kid a chance.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a good one.
Speaker 6: We should we should kind of taking off, you know, take the opportunity to open it up himself. No, c that's kind of a weird guy, like get kind of weird weird.
Speaker 2: Guy likes anime.
Speaker 4: Let's give him a shot, though, you know, don't don't play.
Speaker 6: And every single person said no, but to put it.
Speaker 13: There, but Josh, well well done, well done. All right, that's funny. No, it's been good with you guys. I always enjoyed doing this show. And that's why it's a little sad because I know we'll come back training camp.
Speaker 2: It's going to feel like a completely different excitement. We're back together on multiple days out of the week, and then we get into the regular season flow of it, or it's it's a long way, but it will be here before you know, eight months, bro, Yeah, you're twenty three weeks, it'll be right there.
Speaker 7: Not yet you would you would, but.
Speaker 2: The excitement will be there again. But right now, it's just kind of Man, it was a rough year. What were you What are you going to look back on when you remember twenty twenty four. What's the number one thing that you'll kind of have a lasting impression on.
Speaker 5: I mean, the first thing that pops up is injuries for me, honestly, I mean I think the injuries popped up. I think that's something that sucks every team. You're gonna say every team deals with it. Yeah, it's true, but every team doesn't lose like every pro bowler that they have outside of Brandon Aubrey and Cavante Turpin. I mean, you lost everybody.
Speaker 6: Else for extended periods of time, for extended period of time, best players.
Speaker 5: So that's hard to overcome. It just really is. I think they did their best to so I think that coach McCarthy did a great job. I don't think he's getting enough credit for keeping it together and still keeping hope and still remaining competitive amongst losing highly high contributors to your team. You lost your your QB one, you lost your wide receiver one at one point in time, you lost your your one of the greatest offensive linemen to play. You lost your cornerback that.
Speaker 4: You just paid.
Speaker 5: So I mean you lost a lot of guys, especially guys that you just poured a bunch of money into. And yet you're still able to tell your guys looked them in the eyes and say, hey, we still have a chance to go out here and take care of business. You know, next man up. All the stuff that you would hear, but it actually did it. Yeah, there are some games that you got your buttkeet, for sure, but there are some really good games in terms of competitiveness. The teams that you got destroyed by your teams that are all playing, you know, next weekend, they stay. I don't know what that meltdown was.
Speaker 6: That felt like the Cardinals game from.
Speaker 14: A couple of years ago, Dak and Dak's second year the it but the oh the McCarthy. Yes, we went forward on Firth fourth and two or something and they were like that disrespectful.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, So that's that's my memory.
Speaker 5: The injuries and then what you had to over, you know, coach McCarthy's work in terms of keeping these guys competitive, you know, with those major injuries.
Speaker 6: So I would say the job that Mike McCarthy has done is that's going to be a lasting impression for me in that it all hope seemed lost. I think a lot of people were calling for McCarthy's job halfway through the season, especially after that Lions game. It's like, what are we doing here? We got it, we gotta make a change, right and we got to make a change. You heard that across the board from you know, fans and experts alike, right, and to see how we turned it around in that the players didn't stop believing in what McCarthy was doing in the system, they started believing in what Mike Zimmer was doing. I think the fact that you saw depth players stepping up to the role of being starters and galvanizing behind the group, but galvanizing behind the team, which I didn't think you saw early in the season.
Speaker 2: Beating a couple of playoff teams and doing.
Speaker 6: So beating couple of playoff teams. The run at the end of the season and all for me is watermarked by that first Commander's game with Kawanti termin returning for touchdown. I like, to me, that was like the highlight of my year.
Speaker 2: Basically, it was.
Speaker 4: Just that game was so good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was just and it didn't feel at any point in that game where like, oh, we're gonna lose this game up until the very last, you know, the fourth quarter scary Terry touchdown. But to me, that game was such a like, Wow, we can we really can put it together. We can find a way to put it together. There that team that we know in love over the last three seasons of still they're still in there somewhere, and that game to me solidified that. To me, that will be the lasting impression and the job that Bones Fossil has done this year. I mean, how can you deny that he is the best teams coach in the NFL.
Speaker 4: Had a couple of hiccups, but Bones did.
Speaker 6: But overall, I think players did.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's anything that Bones regardless, there were a couple of somebody.
Speaker 4: Was perfect this season.
Speaker 7: But that being said, Bones Fossil remains the best special teams coordinator in the game.
Speaker 6: That he's doing that XFL players, that game in Insane.
Speaker 2: In Washington, that USFL not even the current even variation of it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but that that game in Washington, that's one that you know, in twenty years we'll be talking to our kids and grand kids and being like, you have.
Speaker 2: To be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was just for me.
Speaker 7: It was injuries and that's definitely up there for me. But it's being unable to wrap my head around the sudden inability to win games at home. Something broke there in that Green Bay Packers game, and that that's what started the calendar year. Is you losing you getting walked by Green Bay at AT and T Stadium. That game turned out to be, in hindsight, the turning point from you being literally the best home team in the NFL for the past two plus seasons to literally being the worst home team inclusive of that game. Six consecutive losses at home before they stopped the bleeding when the Giants came to town.
Speaker 2: Most of those by twenty points.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they were not even close. On top of that, like, those weren't competitive games. So for the entirety of the season as that was happening, I just I couldn't wrap my head around what was going on at AT and T Stadium, other than to say they just never emotionally and mentally recovered from Green Bay walking onto the field and punching them in the face and beating them into submission. And from then, you know, Now you go forward in the twenty twenty five and you hope that, especially after defeating the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, that was a message game because you didn't have to play grinch there, but you bucked up for McCarthy and Mike Zimmer and you showed that you're still galvanized as the locker room and you win, and you did that hopefully that type of momentum culturally rolls over into twenty twenty five. But for me, twenty twenty four will be marred in a large way by just the inability to do anything competitive at home until it was too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the time it was already said, yeah, it was too basically mine. I think all of those are fantastic, and to a certain extent, it's a mesh of all those. I think my lasting impression is going to happen as to what happens over the next couple of weeks with the coaching staff. I'll go on record and I'll say it because I've already given the backup behind.
Speaker 4: It there with a chest.
Speaker 2: I think it would be a mistake to.
Speaker 4: Move on for Mike McCarthy said it was more more time.
Speaker 2: I think it would be a mistake. I could be wrong. I've been wrong in the past, but right now as we sit, my gut feeling says, if you move on for Mike McCarthy, it might be the hard reset that you've been avoiding for so long. Whereas I mean it would serve as a reset. But when you're hiring a coach, when you're hiring a coach. Your anticipation moving on for Mike McCarthy is that they would elevate this team to go win playoff games. I don't know if you can realistically expect that with a completely new staff.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be tough either way.
Speaker 2: And sure, you could go hire one of these other names that are out there on the open market that have had success in other places, and they could come in here and do great. I just don't feel like it would be as effective what Mike McCarthy could do on this team. And I think I'm in the media minority in that fact. I think most of the media, most of the Cowboys fans out there, are okay with moving on from Mike McCarthy. I have no ties with Mike McCarthy, let me give you make that very very clear. I just think it would be a mistake to move on from him. I think he's the best guy to lead this football team. And we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: Moving as Michael Michaels is figure skating.
Speaker 2: But that's where my last thing impression. I mean, a lot of this week feels like a lot of this week, even walking around the building and being in this vicinity, it feels like it did in twenty nineteen when they elected to move on from Jason Garrett, because we were here for that and it was just very down. It was very somber, and there was a lot of intrigue, but question and uncertainty. It feels like that again right now. If you do move on, like we talked about earlier, so be it. But I just think it would be a mistake. We may be coming back, We may be coming back at the end of next year, and the Cowboys are sitting at four and thirteen and they weren't able to figure it out with a new head coach in there at any point in time, and I might just say, you know what, guys, I thought that would be the possibility. See that in that career that could have been the case.
Speaker 7: This is why I say I'm fine, given how the back end of the season went and the month of December went, the Philadelphia was game notwithstanding, because what the hell.
Speaker 4: Was that outside of that two years?
Speaker 7: A two year deal, now, of course that stuff offer because free agency is a two way street. So I would offer him two years, But what would maybe the Chicago Bears offer him, What would maybe the New Orleans Saints offer him, assuming that you know, the Jets are still trying to figure out.
Speaker 4: So I mean five years. I'm not in on.
Speaker 7: Five because now because of what I just said, not because I'm willing to revisit this after next year. Yeah, and not still be on the hook for four more years financially, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So I'm with you on that.
Speaker 7: I'm fine with McCarthy if they choose to remain in twenty twenty five with McCarthy, I'm totally fine with that because I've seen the fight. Yes, I've seen what Kyle Shanahan. Let me make sure I specified you saw that. Kyle in Santa Clara during a struggling season, a down season, couldn't keep his locker room together.
Speaker 4: Guys were refusing to go into the field.
Speaker 2: For literally walking off the field.
Speaker 4: The middle of a game. Was that ever an issue here?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 7: Ever, with the defense struggling in the first half, and now this is kudos to Mike zimmers Well, in the back half of the season, those same guys, it wasn't just next man up, it was next man, next man up, and they still were being competitive. So I'm in for both of the MIC's for twenty twenty five, as long as in doing so, you don't lose like an Al Harris, because if you're.
Speaker 4: Going to lose an L. Harris. Now, now we got to have the conversation about the.
Speaker 2: Talking about this a little bit. Yeah, when we started the season with you, When we started the season, I had a ten win mark on this team. Ten wins is what I anticipated. You finished with seven, possibly eight, you could get that. I don't remember either, but I remember having I thought this would be a ten and seven football team going into the year. You finished with seven maybe eight wins. I don't think you get even close to that with this roster, in this situation, with these injuries, with this lack of depth, with all of that. Without Mike McCarthy, I think this is a four and thirteen team without Mike McCarthy. True, that is true, is not wrong, thank you. But you had a shutdown to playoffs with it, and that's that's impressive. That's impressive. So yeah, if they move on, they move on. That's part of it. But I think it.
Speaker 4: Fine with it. Yeah, I like him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, all ya, Kyle, all right, when we come back, it's time for one final Pickham segment.
Speaker 4: Give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two.
Speaker 2: Nine seven if you want to represent the fans this week in our final Pickam segment of twenty twenty four more talking cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 10: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your are seeatd dot com slash five G for you fifty deals. They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 15: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI isshal cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 4: Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 16: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com slash Erica by your Side, Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Elish language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys back, You're Talking Cowboys. This segment of the show is brought to you buy and vizline the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Glad you're with us with Isaiah stand back, Josh Roderiguez, chrispiam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. And then we've got this guy over so shy. Yeah, he thinks it's all wrapped up, so ready to go. So he's got the WWE Wrestling belt shining and the.
Speaker 4: Champ right so fast, my friends for the.
Speaker 2: Actually sets that on here says pick them champions, and then it has like an upside down w is that an.
Speaker 4: M doesn't spend like spree where mediocre.
Speaker 7: That's not the that's not the mean but he doesn't get the reference. He doesn't get the reference because he doesn't watch wrestling. Too busy answering calls.
Speaker 2: I was too busy watching.
Speaker 4: On the toilet.
Speaker 2: It's watching the college football playoff quarterback.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's fair.
Speaker 7: That's what I was, which, which is all you do when you're not in the playoff.
Speaker 2: I've got a playoff tonight. Go go mean green baby Ponder's bolt, take down Texas.
Speaker 7: Stem and Notre Dame. Respect, Okay, no excuses. You went in there, you took it, you wanted it more.
Speaker 2: So today then you do the red.
Speaker 4: Well, that's because I've been whooping you all.
Speaker 17: Let's check in on that with a little Beamer's bulletin Beamer, Hey, guys, what's up, buddy Ben?
Speaker 12: A hell of a week comes to pick him.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what you want to know.
Speaker 8: Why, Because I should have got this guy on the phone. Because Tommy Jarvis pitched for the fans last week, and oh my god, did he pick for the fans.
Speaker 12: This guy went six.
Speaker 18: And oh whoa six and oh last week for the fans. Wow, And guess what, because I've done that, Yes you did, and it just jumped the fans over everybody, and now the fans and Patrick are tied for first place. Just letting you know whoa Kyle is in second with a with a A.
Speaker 8: I call this the YES system, which is the like Yeoman's electronics system for scoring.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, he is six and five. Excuse me, he's sixty five points overall.
Speaker 2: Okay, forty one losses.
Speaker 12: Josh is in fifth place or fourth place, and stand back is in dead last.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 12: Okay, but you know everybody always asks what is the real standings? So I did those?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Okay, raise your hand if you're in the lead. Uh, Patrick, put your hand down, Josh.
Speaker 18: Put your hand ups the best real pick them?
Speaker 4: Say?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 12: Standings at fifty seven and thirty nine. Let's say it with.
Speaker 18: Your chest, Josh, Josh needs to take that w W bell and over.
Speaker 4: We still have dogs, but he's been Yes, just letting you know.
Speaker 7: Back to you, Ye the best at picking the underdogs.
Speaker 2: He's picking puppies. That's all right.
Speaker 4: So does guy have a chance to jump the fans?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How many games am I back?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 12: So your record right now is you have to your your they're sixty seven points two games. You're to bet the games back.
Speaker 2: Let's go, baby, Let's make it. This is this is the one baby. Let's go on and.
Speaker 12: Josh your four games back.
Speaker 18: So if you if you go undefeated this week, are you got the championships?
Speaker 4: Back of my eye?
Speaker 2: I am gonna be Oh gosh, I am gonna make this known when making these pick them like games. This is the wildest week because you don't know who's playing, who's out for a lot of these teams. Wild This is gonna be crazy.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Here we go, starting with Albert in Arizona. What's going on? Albert, you're representing the fans. You got a lot of pressure this room. You gotta be Patrick.
Speaker 4: If you want to win.
Speaker 2: The whole thing's cowboys. That's right, baby, first time the show. Let's go appreciate, We appreciate you, Albert. We're gonna have some dogs to pick. Browns, Bears, Rams, Chiefs are the potential dogs because Carson Wentz is playing instead of Patrick Mahomes. Keep that in mind. Against the Broncos that need a win in order to make the postseason. Anybody got a dog this week? We'll start with Patrick.
Speaker 7: Broncos should have won last week. I think they win this week. I'm going with the Rams as.
Speaker 2: My dog, Rams is the dog without all of their starters.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, how's that worked though for you?
Speaker 2: Wait, Isaiah, go ahead and pick They're not if you would say that, you would say the Rams would beat the Seahawks happening, Yeah, get your get your dog.
Speaker 4: I saw them, I saw the name, and I got excited.
Speaker 2: I know, I saw the non playoff bound Seahawks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's okay this year for sure, Coach. Let's go with the Bears.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bears, Josh, I think that exactly what their chance is. I'm gonna go with the Chiefs too, but I'm going with the Browns. Oh, okay, Albert, what you got Chiefs? All right? Bengals at Steelers. This is a playoff possible game for Joe Burrow in company. They have to win this game. Isaiah, what do you think?
Speaker 4: I'm not betting against Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: I'm not either. Give me the Bengals, give me the Steelers.
Speaker 4: I'm taking the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Taking the Bengals, all right, Albert?
Speaker 4: The Bengals, right.
Speaker 2: Texans at Titans.
Speaker 4: Man, I don't believe C. J. Stroud is playing Titans.
Speaker 2: Okay, and no, I have no confidence. But I'm telling you that's all these games, it's gonna be tough. Uh. Give me the Texans. Give me the Texans to win it.
Speaker 14: Josh Titans, Tony Butler, Ballard, Albert, Texans.
Speaker 2: All right, Giants at Eagles without all their starters. This is the spread right now is like minus one and a half in terms of the uh Eagles, Like it's like they're getting the points. Give me the green poop oh going straight Eagles? Yep, Albert, just because I hate the Eagles more, give me the gemer g Man. All right.
Speaker 4: You know you're picking entire fans.
Speaker 7: I hate the Eagles more as well, but uh, my belts on the line. I'm going to Eagles on this one.
Speaker 2: See I'm trying. I'm trying to steal that belt. Give me the Giants to win it. Your elite neighbors and company, crazy what we got, Josh, Give me the Giants, Okay? Uh moving on from there, Dolphins at Jets to disappointing teams out of the AFC East.
Speaker 4: Josh M. Patrick, you go, you know the Jets have mailed it in.
Speaker 7: I don't think the Dolphins don't have necessarily mailed it in, so I'm going Miami on this one.
Speaker 2: Okay, go with the Jets. I think I'm gonna go with the Dolphins.
Speaker 4: That's the Dolphins are still trying to get in.
Speaker 2: You're going to opposite me.
Speaker 4: I feel like they're just a sleeping giant.
Speaker 2: Like they're just like Dolphins. Yeah, they have a shot to get in.
Speaker 4: They're like, don't they have like a slim is it? They like very slim? Well was trying to play.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm gonna take the Dolphins. I'm gonna take the Take the Dolphins to Albert. Give me that's dolphin free baby, all right. This is gonna be one of the best games this This game has more wins between two divisional foes in the final game of the regular season number one, than any other game in the NFL regular season history.
Speaker 4: One team will play the next week. The other team gets to sit at the crib.
Speaker 2: Correct Vikings at Lions Albert will let you start.
Speaker 4: Man, we get it, we get.
Speaker 12: It just because of what they did to us this year. Give me the Vikings.
Speaker 1: Who this year's picking with us at the Lions?
Speaker 2: Oh got it? I see what you're saying. I understanding more. And because of that, I'm gonna go with the Lions. Yeah, give me the Lions to win it at home. What do you think, Patrick?
Speaker 4: Oh? No, Josh, you go first.
Speaker 2: That's that's a fair return fire.
Speaker 6: Give me the Lions.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 7: I'm taking the Lions, okay, only because they're home you and they're at the crib.
Speaker 4: They at the crib. Man. The Lions fans gonna be nuts with Justin Jefferson going with the Vikings.
Speaker 5: Ye, my heart says Lions. But Justin Jefferson, I think it's Sam Donald's Sam Donald.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I really think this is a no pun intended. This is a pick them that goes down to who's at home. If Minnesota is at home, I agree, I would probably say the Vikings in all right.
Speaker 2: Commanders at Cowboys final game of the Cowboys twenty twenty four regular season and season in general. The Commanders at eleven and five coming in, They're possibly going to start some of their go to guys, possibly not going into it on impossible pitch count and whatever that may entail going into it. With that being said, dan Quinn wants to win this game and they want to have some revenge, So we'll let Albert start as we normally do with the fans. Commanders Cowboys at at and T Stadium and noon on Sunday.
Speaker 12: Who you got Dallas Cowboys twenty three, Commanders fourteen.
Speaker 2: All right, there you go. Appreciate you Albert for the call. Appreciate you listening and giving us, giving us a good run here for the fans, it's in the barn. Hay's in the barn.
Speaker 4: Now, Hey's in the barn.
Speaker 2: Now who's going to have the win? Isaiah will start with.
Speaker 4: You twenty three seventeen.
Speaker 5: I don't know where the offense is coming from, honestly don't, but I know that defense is going to play really well.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to go with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Twenty three to seventeen. They sweep the Commanders.
Speaker 4: I don't know where the what's coming from, though. Don't ask me that, Josh me either.
Speaker 6: That's why I'm going forty one to thirty five Dallas Cowboys for.
Speaker 2: One. Why not if that happens, I will make sure we are in here on Tuesday with nothing but forty Burger pair for noting.
Speaker 6: I think it's just going to be a lot of players going for trying to get their contracts. I think it's going to be forty one thirty five.
Speaker 4: I'm not bad. Is this our first non forty burger season in a while?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if we would need what a burger for that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I'm making I'd make the request. We got an extra buffer day in there to get it done too. Yeah, I think I.
Speaker 4: Think it'd be possible.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 7: Oh, Cowboys haven't made the decision yet. Tells me Trey Lance starts sprinkling some wheel greer.
Speaker 4: That's added mobility.
Speaker 7: Makes things a little bit more challenging for the commander's second and third string because they're not going to have starters.
Speaker 4: The entire game.
Speaker 6: So you're saying there's a lamb.
Speaker 7: I'm saying there's a Lance. I don't know what his arm is gonna do, but I know what his legs can. He got a cannon, Yeah, but he likes touch that moment. Give me Cowboys. They're going to give Cavante turpin legacy game on offense.
Speaker 4: Oh, one hundred yards.
Speaker 7: Receiving and say it with my chest, Cavante turpide hundred yards receiving in the tuddy.
Speaker 4: But I don't know about that. Forty birds, Yeah, there's a lot.
Speaker 7: Give me Cowboys twenty eight over the Commanders, who only get four touchdown thirteen twenty eight thirteen Cowboys take it. They sweep the Commanders, send dan Quinn, Well, he'll be in the playoffs so he won't care.
Speaker 4: Much, but he won't get this dub Listen, take that, l dan Quinn, Take that L Quinn. Q.
Speaker 2: I gotta pick. I was gonna pick the Cowboys, but everybody picked the Cowboys. Are you doing I'm trying to win it? Belt over?
Speaker 4: Is this strategy right now?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to win a belt? And I also don't think this is an easy win for doll. I think it's good. No, absolutely, I would have said like a one or three point win, like it would have been tight.
Speaker 4: De Ron Blampick six.
Speaker 2: Give me the Commanders, Manders win it twenty three, not twenty seven, seventeen.
Speaker 4: From first place.
Speaker 2: Two games, gotta go two games. I'm trying to make it happen. All right, we gotta go. That's gonna do it for us here in the regular season for Talking Cowboys. We are back on Tuesday, ten am Central Time. That point forward, one week at a time, one show a week from there. We appreciate everybody listening all the way throughout this season. We know there's been since there have been some downs. We love you guys all the way through for Chris Beaming the Back, Patrick Nocy, Walker, Chosh Rodriguez, I say the stand back.
Speaker 3: I'm Kyle y'a been saying so long, one final time for Talking Cowboys in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 16: Y