Speaker 1: Welcome to Creature feature production of iHeartRadio. I'm your host of Many Parasites, Katie Golden. I studied psychology and evolutionary biology, and today on the show, they're not dinosaurs, mon they're really Oh my god, what's that thing? That's right, folks, we are talking about pre dinosaur animals who are really cool, really wild, really really hard for paleontologists to put together the sordid history of pre dinosaur animals. We should have had a movie about these guys, take it over a park and making people question, you know, whether or not science has gone too far. So joining me today is paleontologists, science communicator, museum educator, and perhaps most importantly of all, a metal guitarist, Dane.
Speaker 2: Pa It Welcome, Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited. So I am not really an expert in these sorts of animals, the pre dinosaur guys. In fact, dinosaurs I'm not even that well versed in because I have most of what I know are animals that are still alive, given that it's the easiest to observe their behavior. But I think what is so fascinating to me about paleontology is the lack of direct observation that you can do and how you guys are kind of like almost like forensic detectives piecing together these animals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, So there's various different branches of how we can do this. We can kind of pass together the sort of most likely conclusions about Yeah, if you want to all about animal behavior specifically, we can use comparative anatomy. So you have this phenomenon evolution, you may not out of a convergent evolution where different organisms will evolve similar features to solve similar problems in their environments. So you can look at the fossil record and you say, this animal has this particular shaped arm bone that means it was probably digging, or it has this feature in the spine which means it ran a media, so we can piece together. But yeah, it is very much like detective work taking these very sparse pieces of evidence, and the fossil record is notoriously sparse. I think there's sort of a ballpark estimation that only one in a million animals that has ever existed actually becomes a fossil. All the rest just die and rot away or are eaten, or are just completely lost to the winds of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because fossilization. I mean, there's a few ways in which something becomes a fossil, but it is certainly not a common thing to happen to an animal's carcass. It's not as if you have just every dinosaur who has dyed is perfectly encased in stone. The conditions, yeah, the conditions in which fossil actually form is quite rare. And it's even more rare for a fossil, like a complete fossil to form where you get the entire animal perfectly represented in one piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's the classic. It's the classic. One is the opening the early scene in the original Jurassic Park where they're in the desert and they brush the sand away and there is a complete dinosaur skeleton perfectly formed, with every bone exactly where it is. That almost never happens. Most fossil animals are known from a handful of bits of frag like maybe not even complete bones. Teeth are very very common because a lot of ret load. Before we want to talk reptiles in particular, a lot of reptiles shed and regrow their teeth, so teeth are quite common. Sharks. Sharks teeth are very common. Shells if you're looking in marine and aquatic environments. Are aquatic water based environments are generally speaking more productive for fossils because you have movements of the sediments, which is more likely to bury things. So a lot of the most productive sites for fossils in the world tend to be lakes and lagoons and slow flowing rivers where things can be easily buried not necessarily destroyed by strong currents or floods and things like that.
Speaker 1: There's that beautiful Burgess Shale which was discovered in the early nineteen hundreds that had just an incredible wealth of fossils from this period of time where you had this almost doctor Seussian diversity of animals that seemed like some kind of awful fever dream, which oh yeah, yeah, which is it is. It's so interesting too because it was discovered so early, well relatively early. The trials and airs of trying to put together these fossils that were so strange looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the Burger Shale, it's what we called a lagostatn, which is a German word and it's basically it's a it's the sort of blanket term for sites of exceptional preservation and the Burgess Shale seems to have been a very deep water environment and possibly an oxic. So there had been quite low oxygen in that environment, which means not a lot of fuel for like bacteria and things to break down the carcasses when they sink to the sea floor. And yeah, you've got creatures, which yeah, they are so because so the Burger Show represents a period of time called the Cambrian which is around two hundred and forty odd million years ago, and it's very you know, it's very famous phenomena called the Cambrian Explosion, wherein there'd been microorganisms and algae and things around for several or several tens and hundreds of millions of years beforehand, but at this particular point, it was sort of the stars aligned, sort of the temperature was just right, the atmospheric conditions were just right. Everything just kind of landed just right, and there's this huge explosion in diversity of comp multicellular life. And you have early representatives of early ancestors of arthropods, sponges, worms, sort of very very early. You know, you can kind of sort of squint and see the resemblance to modern animals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what's so interesting to me is when I see kind of these these animals from the more wormy ones, like the soft bodied ones, which I mean, it's incredible that we have fossils of these soft bodied animals, because we generally think of fossils as like hey, bones or shells, something hard, because those are more likely to be able to be preserved. But yeah, these soft bodied, like worm like animals that don't have many I think analogs in modern times, but you can you can kind of find like, actually, you know, we'll talk about one in a little bit that is very interesting, one of my favorite ones. But first let's talk about the Anomalocras, which I think is sort of one of the most famous examples of this this period. The name being Latin Greco for abnormal shrimp, which is very funny to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very abnormal shrimp. Anomala carus is sort of it's famous for being kind of characterized as one of the first eight lot, one of the first large apex predators. It was so as far as we said, it was a free swimming animal, which is quite a big innovation. There were you know, a lot of the critters that were around at the time were sort of sediment based either fixed to the sea floor or burrowing or crawling around the sea floor. But anomal Carus was free swimming, had these sort of mobile tendrils on its face for gathering at prey, and we think it was probably most likely eating sort of the small Yeah, the small, soft body crystal floor trilobites would have been very abundant food source. So these are the famous sort of sort of woodlousey, beatlely looking critters.
Speaker 1: That likes or isopods of today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very much. So. Unfortunately they went extinct at the end of the Permian period, which is the end of this sort of we say pre dinosaur is this larger period of time called the Paleozoic, So this is the sort of first of three major eons or chapters if you like, in the history of life on Earth. Paleozoic is from the Cambrian explosion five hundred and forty million years ago up to two hundred and fifty million years ago, which ends with the Permian extinction event, which took out huge, huge numbers of these amazing animals, some of which had made it all the way from the Cambrian explosion, like the trilobites.
Speaker 1: And what was the precipitating event do we think for that mouse extinction was a change in the climate.
Speaker 2: So well, ultimately, all mass extinction events are some form of climate change. It just depends on what the triggering event is and what we believe this one is. Was a massive spike in volcanic activity at this site in Siberia. So we're talking in an area hundreds of you know, tens of possibly tens of thousands of square kilometers of land in Russia basically fractured into a constantly erupting supervolcano, and I'm talking on the scale of thousands and thousands of years. And over the course of that time, it released you know, trillions of tons of toxic fumes and greenhouse gases. It caused a runaway greenhouse effect. It acidified the oceans huge amounts of acid rain. As sea temperatures rise, water is less able to hold gas at high temperatures, so A that means less oxygen for the life living in the ocean, and b it means less CO two is being absorbed into the ocean, which causes even more heating. Some estimates put it as high as eighty percent of all life on Earth was wiped out at the end of this extinction event.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. I mean, maybe this is the optimist in me, but I feel like it's so really impressive that we bounced back from that. You know, it's it's kind of amazing that you can have such a mass extinction. Obviously very bad for the current trialbides just trying to live their lives, but still the life somehow, you know, was able to recover from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, among the survivors were well, obviously everything that's alive today is descended from that, you know, relatively small handful of life that made it through this extinction event, but it caused this huge kind of restructuring of the food chain. So there's this really interesting event sort of immediately following this extinction. We're still pre dinosaur. By the way, the dinosaurs don't really the dinosaurs don't really come into their own until the sort of middle to late Triassic period, which is sort of two hundred and twenty two hundred and thirty million years, So there's a good thirty million year block between that extinction and the dinosaurs really starting to come into their own, and there's this phenomenon known as the Mesozoic marine revolution, which is really interesting kind of upheaval in the oceans. So one major part of it is the diversification of secondarily aquatic tetrapods. So there's a few technical terms here. I want to make sure the audience are fully on board here. So secondarily aquatic is basically any animal that has evolved from a land based ancestor and has gone back into the water.
Speaker 1: So we've got whales. Whales would count as the right.
Speaker 2: Whales absolutely, yet sea turtles, crocodiles, sea lions, penguins, anything that has come from a land based ancestor into the ocean. During the Paleozoic before the Permian extinction event, they didn't really there weren't really any of them because throughout that time the large ocean niches, the sort of big spaces in the ecosystem were dominated by fish and arthropods, So the big predators in the ocean were giant fish and giants arthropods, So there were things like Dunkleostius is probably the most famous one, which is this it's part of a group of fish that doesn't exist anymore, called placoderms, and rather than having teeth, they just have extended bones of the skull that would sheer against each other like scissor blades. That is, there's been some recent studies on dontriosis as to exactly how big it was. It was believed to be like a sort of school bus sized monster. That's been scaled down with it recently we think sort of.
Speaker 1: Doesn't it where we like it was the size of the Empire state building. Maybe actually just the size of a Volkswagen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's quite a bit of that. There's also the sea scorpions, which were another casualty of the Permian extinction events. Not technically scorpions, they are arthropods, so they are.
Speaker 1: They look like a flat scorpion, kind of like if you took rolling pin and just sort of like rolled out a scorpion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very much.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got this great, big, grasping pincers. They've got this big, long, flat tail which some of the smaller ones may have swamed, but some of the big ones probably stuck to the seabed. Some of the really big ones were nightmarish, like the biggest arthropods of all time. Yes, two meters long, possibly two and a half. For some of the really big ones. So these are the things that are occupying the big the big ocean niches at the time. And then the Permian extinction happens and it kind of opens up the food chain somewhe It opens up the ecosystem, and you have this big adaptive radiation where this happens a lot after extinction events. When you have when you've got the slate white clean, that leaves a lot of space for innovation and sort of evolutionary experimentation. So you start to get reptiles moving into the ocean. You get early sort of crocodile and turtle relatives. You have lots of very strange things that don't really exist anymore, like the placar donts. Placoderms is the armored fish, and then you have placardonts, which are these weird swimming reptiles that are not turtles, but they have very wide, flat bodies and armor across them. They sort of look like fake turtles. They're very strange armadillo things, yeah, very odd looking, but some of them have some of them are derived ones. They've got these forward facing teeth at the front of the jaw, and then they have these very flat plate like teeth at the back of the jaw and the roof of the mouth, and that's interpreted as being adaptations for prising apart and crushing shellfish. And that's the other big part of the mesozoat marine revolution is that it forced this big change in ocean invertebrates through the evolution of new creatures that can crack open and ingest shells and exoskeletons. Because you know, if you're like a limpet or a barnacle or something attached to a rock or attached to the sea floor, and there's nothing that can break you, basically fine, But if something pulls you off the rock and you can't reattach yourself or swim away or crawl into a hole and hide, you're basically doomed. So sessile animals, so things that attached to the sea floor and basically stay there the rest of their lives started to decline and animal and these sort of shellfish and invertebrates had to find all sorts of new ways to adapt. So creatures that lived on the surface declined, creatures that lived in burrows diversified. There was a lot more burrowing animals after this. A really good example is crinoids, which again making sure your audience caught up. Crynoids is really really weird creatures that evolved early on in the Paleozoic, not quite Cambrian. They have I think it's penta radial symmetry, So humans are bilaterally symmetrical. We've got a left side and the right side. Chronoids have five way symmetry. You can look you look down on them from the top, you can split them five ways as they've got the mouse in the middle.
Speaker 1: So like starf like kind of erms like starfish, and.
Speaker 2: There are yeah, there they are a kindoderms. Yeah, they're related to starfish and sea urchins. So they've got a mouth in the middle, and then they have all these big branching feathery arms that come outs and their suspension feeders. They gather organic material, they put their arms out, they collect food from the water, and then they draw their arms into the mouth in the middle. And there's two major varieties of them. There's the standard ones just as I've described, which can use their arms to swim around and crawl around on the sea floor, and we call them feather stars. And then there's the stalked variety, which have a great, big, long stalk that trails from underneath the body and attaches them to the seafloor. And they kind of makes them look like a flower, and we call them sea lilies, and they are all still around today. They've made it through all the extinctions, all the way into the present day. During the Massasoka marine Revolution, you have this explosion of creatures that can break through exoskeletons. The sea lilies, the ones fixed to the seafloor start to abandon the shallow water and move into the deeper ocean. So most of the sea lily species that we have today live in deep offshore waters, whereas the feather stars that can move around and swim and escape, they live on the reefs and coastal environments. So it is this complete restructuring of how in entire food chains and ecosystems work over this extinction boundary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a mass when you have like a massive shock like that, you have for the remaining species that are now adapting to say the you know, the arms race that's happening as new species start to take over in the niches that have been abandoned by the species that have gone extinct. Everything is impacted right in a way that like they all have to readapt It kind of reminds me of one of the animals I was thinking of talking about today was Endocera's gigantium, which is sort of like that that big unicorn like cephalopod during the I'm gonna say a period as if I know what I'm talking about, even though I don't, the Ordovician period. So it was this like ancestor of modern day squid octopuses, not alloids, but unlike modern day squids and octopuses, it had this massive shell and unlike the nautilus, which still has that shell, it was this really straight, large conical shell that spanned from over nine up to possibly the larger estimates are eighteen feet, although that's not exactly confirmed, but it could be anywhere from like three to over five meters. And so it's thought it was like this ambush predator, right, because you're so big, you're not going to be very mobile, and you have this giant shell to defend itself. So that once, and similarly to other giant shelled cephalopods, thought that it went extinct because it could not outcompete with this new sort of wave of like the fish and more mobile, more agile, and swifter creatures that were evolving at the time. So it went from because you'd think, like a lot of people will often ask like, well, if you have something that has this amazing defense mechanism, like a giant shell, why would it get rid of it? Right, because like squid octopuses, they're very vulnerable, they're so squishy, But it doesn't matter necessarily if you're perfectly protected, if you're not getting any food, if you're unable to compete with the faster predators and the faster prey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the the evolution of a spine was a big innovation because that that's you know, that provided the sort of propulsion for sort of early predatory fish to see, you know, be a lot faster and a lot more agile and maneuverable in the water. And yeah, so I think things like endoceras and you know, these giant autaloids would have would have had no predators, had had no competition until these larger, you know, the early ancestors of sharks and things like that, some of which would have been capable of cracking through these shells. Yeah, sharks were a big innovation at the time they used sort of started to occupy the ape experiens in each but they were kind of overtaken by the blackaderms, the big sort of sheer teeth fish. They were kind of your two main sort of apex predator bodies that came in at the time, and they were all kinds of bizarre as well. You have these really nice out groups, as they're called, So you have sort of you have your sort of evolutionary group of animals that we consider modern day sharks, and then you sort of go back a step on the family tree and off on a little weird side branch, and you find all these really odd creatures that aren't quite entirely sharks that that's sort of the closest thing we can relate in to things like one of the more famous one is Stepacanthus, which has got these like rays. It's rather than like the kind of triangular dorsalt thing. It's got this kind of flattened structure on its back with all these bristles and spines across it. We think it's a sexual display structure of some kind because we only find it in the males. There's a ah the names escaping me now there's all kinds of there's a oh, helicaprion as a real.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so yeah, this this whole family group of sharks that, instead of having a jawline as conventional sharks do, all their teeth run down the middle of the jaw, and there's some that have them like scissor blades, one on top of the other.
Speaker 2: But helica prion has this big spiral of teeth which we now interpret as being new teeth growing in the center and kind of growing outwards towards the outer edge of the spiral, and then as they are replaced, they kind of fall out of the front. It's possible it may have been able to use that to cut through you know, shells and of things like the squid and the autoloids that were hanging around at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it is. It is so weird because with a lot of these animals, when I mean, one thing is that I think that the reason these shapes look so bizarre to us is that we are we acclimate ourselves to the shapes of say, you know, we look at a hammerhead shark, right, and we're we're acclimatized to that. So we see that and we understand it. We see this this as a normal animal shape more or less, but that's really only because we have gotten used to it that when like the first people who probably saw a hammerhead shark was like, well, this is an incredibly weird shape for a shark head. So something like Stethacanthus that has this weird anvil on its head, which I'd be I'd love to see a hammerhead shark and as Deethacanthus get together and see what what what they would make us they can build, see what they can craft? Uh, But you know, yeah, I mean it's it is interesting because they're all especially when we're trying to piece together say the purpose like how how say the jaws work of this like weird spiraling saw two thing, how they would actually maneuver that? Or like this death of Canthus, what that that protrusion was? And the way we piece it together in terms of well, if it was only found on males, maybe it would be uh a sexual signaling uh device essentially. But it's also kind of odd because we even in current animals, right, like if you look at the narwal right, they have this it's not really it's not really a horn. It's a giant tooth, and it's generally found in the males. It's less likely to be found in the females, although some females do have it, which is again confusing, and it is unclear exactly these are animals that are alive today we can observe them. Whales are always tricky because they're in the water. These ones especially tricky because they're in very cold water and we don't generally do well. We struggle even to understand what nar wals use their tusks for. And that is as we have been aware of nar wals for hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years, I mean, you know, thousands of years when including local populations, and yet the even with understanding that yes, it seems to be a sexual difference, but then we find all these strange things about it, right like where the narmal tusk is innervation that it has all these pores in which a seawater can filter through, possibly as a sensory organ but we don't know. And so it's just it's when you think about that puzzle that we have currently with an animal we can physically interact with, we can look at its tusk, we can get afresh, you know, narwhal tusk and examine it, and then we try to do that with something that's extinct like stud acanthus. It's like, what this protrusion could have possibly been. It could have been a sexual ornament, it could have been a sensory organ, it could have been both, and you know, just like it's it's so it's so tantalizing.
Speaker 2: Oh, like what say, like the comparison i've heard, you know, and sort of looking at you know, what we what we can pass in the fossil record. The comparison I've heard is like human medical research. You know, we've been studying the human body in earnest for you know, a couple of hundred years now, and there are more people working in human medicine than arguably any other field of science. And we're still learning new things about the human body. You know, we're not going to run out of beatings to figure out in the fossil record anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Still not exactly sure what that all appendix is doing there. Well, we're going to take a quick break and when we get back. That's right, we're talking about more pre dinosaur awesome things, including one that does look like a hallucination. All right, so we are back. I do want to talk a little bit more about anomal chorus before we move on, because it is I think we had talked a bit about its perception of this as this apex predator, but the way we've seen it has kind of changed a little bit over the years. You know, it was originally discovered in the Burgess Shale in the early nineteen hundreds, and it took a while to assemble this thing, and it kind of was I think the first pieces they found were that those front appendages that that looked like giant shrimp. And that's kind of where that name came from, because it's like straight abnormal shrimp. And I couldn't really confirm this, but I think I once read an account where they were saying that at one point they thought that those front appendages were just whole animals because they were they seemed like a complete shrimp.
Speaker 2: Like a big like a big yeah.
Speaker 1: And so what the actual entire animal looks like is it It was over a foot long, its front limbs looked like it had a pair of giant shramp attached to its face. It has these two big compound eyes attached to short ice docks, a segmented body with these fan blade like appendages on each segment which are thought to actually have had gill structures attached to them. Then it ended in this sort of like fan like tail. So the whole thing kind of looked like a giant flattened shrimp, but also it looked like it had two other shrimp attached to its face. And it was thought to be this example like you had mentioned earlier, because it was one of the most even though it doesn't seem that huge at only about over a foot long compared to the other life at the time, it was very large and very mobile, but there was so there's this idea of it being this fierce apex predator like basically the early example of say like a great white shark. But the front appendages were studied a lot, and they found that they seemed to not really be meant for extreme strength, right like say, wrangling something that's really giving it a lot of trouble. So the ideas that maybe it was actually going after softer bodied prey, maybe something a little easier to grab, like a trial a bite, like some kind of soft bodied early these more sessile animals that could be grabbed and perhaps even chased and grabbed, but something that's not going to give these two front appendages too much trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of you look at the so there's there's a bunch of diagrams and sort of close ups of the different So these sort of front appendages, they have these bristly spines that were along the underside which seem they almost they sort of I'm getting fish hook from them. So it's it's not necessarily it's not strictly very precise. It's more you just kind of snag whatever comes onto it. And there's different species, and the different species all have slightly different shaped hooks to them, so that's suggesting possibly they might be going after slightly different prey. Might be a bit of ecological partition going on.
Speaker 1: Funchbeak finchbeak differences where you have different sort of beaks that are.
Speaker 2: Exactly yeah, yeah, yeah, Sarwin's finches. Yeah, And then you got to think, yeah, like the creatures it's you know, yeah, yeah, it is only a full long, and you've got to think the creatures that it's going after are probably going to be centimeters long if that, And yeah, there's there's going to be very rudimentary, very early defenses. You know that far back in history. There's going to be stuff that burrows, is going to be stuff that has armor, But there's going to be a lot of stuff that sits on the surface and is going to be largely defenseless against a gargantuan creatures entire foot long.
Speaker 1: Like barely register what this thing is before just getting slurped up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like a lot of a lot of creatures are going to be very slow moving. A lot of things aren't going to have any eyes. They're going to have very very very basic nervous systems and sensory organs and things like that. So, Yeah, although it does have this sort of reputation as you know, the earliest apex predator, it's not necessarily a very high bar to jump, even the kind of standard of the prey that's around at the time.
Speaker 1: Well, that is a sick burn for the poor Middle Cambrian period soft bodied animals living on the seafloor.
Speaker 2: Wow, look at you.
Speaker 1: Speaking of soft bodies. I don't we have to talk about hallucinogenee hallucigenea. Yeah, lucigeneia.
Speaker 2: I generally go with hallucinogenea.
Speaker 1: Hallucigenius us.
Speaker 2: As long as it's spelled right, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, Hallucinogenea, I think is I had written out a fancy pronunciation guide for myself that I just tripped over. Uh, but yeah, hallucigenea, that it was this like genus of panarthropod's uh lobopodians Greek term for blunt feet, which is kind of cute, I guess. But yeah, these these mostly soft bodied marine wormlike animals, and they're I mean, I I when you look at them, there's I mean, there's there are a lot of different, uh kind of types of these local podions and different ones not wucagenea, but different types of low podions do look a lot like modern day velvet worms, which are also panarthropods, who have these little tiny legs. They have this soft body. They look so much like maybe a caterpillar, but they are not. They're they're not at all related to caterpillars.
Speaker 2: Like bleshy caterpillars, very fleshy.
Speaker 1: There's I love them. I think they're velvet.
Speaker 2: Velvet worms are great. Yeah, they have a strange sort of air of cuteness about them. And then they do the whole spin. Yeah, glue, they.
Speaker 1: They do squirt a bit of glue. It's the sticky substance that they have these two protrusions at the side of their head that actually kind of look like these cute little eyes, but they're not their eyes. They are glands from what which they spew this sticky glue like substance at their prey. Because as cute as there, they look like little pokemon that would say something like yeah, really really adorable, but they are vicious predators and they will immobilize their prey with this sticky substance. Uh, and then just you know, casually stroll up to them eat them at their leisure. It's actually quite horrifying. What they do. To their credit is like, you know, this prehistoric, just a creature from before we even had insects, and but yeah, so so we see this and this is as modern. But hallucigenia was even weirder. It was such a strange looking thing that we really struggled after discovering it because we actually had it's kind of incredible. The fossil records of it were quite good, like there are there were like these full sort of impressions of this animal. But even with that, it really struggled to figure out how this thing works. What is its feet, what's its back, what's its head, and what's its butt? Things that you would think are basic things you could figure out looking at something.
Speaker 2: Its whole body plan is search an anomaly. And yeah, like I said, there's, there's, there's, there's. There's been so many different interpretations of like trying to trying to figure out just which way round this thing goes. People have interpreted one end as the head and one end as the back, and like this that does it sit this way up or this way up? And yeah, things like that, and yeah, and and those. It's it's incredible that we do have these, like this sort of soft body preservation of these things. But this is a weird, it's a weird sort of paradox with kind of fossil preservation is that, you know, soft bodied animals do generally preserve less well in the fossil record, but in environments that are just right for it, you find loads of them. Yeah, so those are really really useful fossil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so. It just we kind of looked out at getting these these ones at this you know, I believe this was also the Burgess Shale. I think I believe so, yes, China as well, Yes there are. In fact, there was a research done by Chinese researcher and I think I don't know where this other researcher is from Lars gram Skolden, who Jiang Wang, who were actually like in the nineties, like we're studying some of these fossil records, and they there had always been this assumption that there was so essentially what this thing looks like is it's a tube, as are we all to be.
Speaker 2: Free, which is which is which is how what most animals are.
Speaker 1: We're still tubes. We're just tubes with extra widgets. But you know, so to tubes. Tubes, Yeah, tubes at all. I love that. So we so yeah, so a tube and then on it's along its back or possibly it's belly. It has these spines, and then along its belly or some have thought its back, it has these soft appendages. So the first go of it, they thought it had that it walked on these spines kind of like stilts. And it's only this thing is only like a few centimeters big, so it's tiny, tiny, But originally, yeah, it's just it kind of walks on these sharp thorn like projections, as if there's stilts, and then the these appendages on its back were used to gather food and pass it along to its mouth. But then researchers took another look at that fossil and they used like a dental drill to kind of like get a little deeper into it, and they actually found another pair of that soft appendage. So it's like, now those are beginning to look much more like legs, uh, And so they flipped it back over and so this might make more sense that it's walking on these soft appendages whereas the spikes. Maybe that's a defense. But in terms of that, it was assumed that there's like always this sort of big balloon like blob on one end of it, and people thought, well, that's its head. You know. It's kind of a weird looking ahead. It's kind of a blobby looking head, but it's a head, right, because it's is it is a balloon on one end of the animal. But yeah, like I said, these researchers around Scholed and Jean one like questioned whether that really was the head, and they kind of because it's showed up on multiple fossils, but they thought, like, this seems more like it's an artifact of something else, some kind of stain maybe. And then more recently, can.
Speaker 2: You can get like preservation and you get like tethonomy and preservation issues or sometimes stuff is like the fossil itself can be prepared in such a way that it leaves marks and stains and things, and they can get misinterpreted further down.
Speaker 1: The line exactly. But the thing that was weird, right was that this was something that seemed to kind of recur in multiple fossils. So it was like, Okay, so perhaps this is some kind of air and processing, but it does seem to happen and more than just one individual. And so more recently Martin Smith and Jean Bernard Karen used electron microscopes on this head and they came up with a new theory, which is that this seems like it was a stain made of fluids that were expelled during decomposition. So what was once thought of its as its head is basically the fluids that were pushed out of its butt as it was decomposing, which I'm afraid to say happens to all of us when we decomposed. So if you think that sounds gross bad news, that basically happens to all animals as we decompose, we have a lot of fluids, gases that will be forced out of our tube bodies.
Speaker 2: Problem tube. It's a it's a great example of how new technology can be used to like examine old specimens. You know, it's you know, sometimes because it's our working in the museum myself, and yeah, people sometimes wonder why we hang onto the you know, fossils that are dug up tens of years ago, hundreds of years we want you people wonder why do we hang onto them? And these days you can use X rays and electron scanning, microscopes and set scans and all sorts of stuff, and you can get all kinds of new information from old fossil specimens by applying new technology to them. You know, you don't know what the next big innovation is. If you want really bizarre body plans from the Palaeozoic, you really can't go much further than the Tully monster, which is such a strange creature. We genuinely don't know what it is. So eventually, yeah, we talk about out groups, you know, things that you know, it's a close relative of this thing, and it's kind of off on its own branch of the family tree. With most fossil animals, we can kind of get a broad idea of like, okay, it's an arthropod, or it's a fish or something. The Tully monster we genuinely have no idea. All we know is it's got a left side and the right side, and that's the only thing it has. That's the only thing it has in common with any group of animals otherwise symmetry.
Speaker 1: Right there, you go.
Speaker 2: It's got it has symmetry. It's got eyes on stalks like a snail, its mouth is on the end of a hose, it's got fins like a squid. It's got something that looks like a noto cord like a vertebrate, and it's just put in its own group. It's genuinely such a weird little creature. And it exists in the Carboniferous period as well, which is actually quite a long way from the cart from the from the Cambrian, So it's not like this is one of those really super early weirdos that showed up at the beginning of complex life. This is something that you know, it's whatever it is. It's a lineage has been around a while and we don't know. Yeah, it's a ghost lineage. We don't know what it's evolved from. We don't know how it's related to other animals.
Speaker 1: Looking at this thing, do you remember that video game Spore?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is totally a spore creature.
Speaker 1: Yes, looks it looks like when you make something in Spore that does it does not survive past the first few stages of your game. But yeah, this is such. This is such a wacky looking thing because it's got something that almost looks like an elephant trunk or a or like a tentacle. But at the end it's got this like little grabby like almost a thing.
Speaker 2: Like a some Some have interpreted that that, yeah, like a beak or pincas or something. Some have interpreted as being like flexible like a trunk. Some of interpreted as being jointed like an arm. Yeah, it's got like the gills along the side of a body are like a lamprey. It's got like sets of holes down the side of its body.
Speaker 1: Tastic.
Speaker 2: It's got all these weird mixtures of features and nobody's quite sure what to make of it.
Speaker 1: You know, it kind of looks like one of those Boston Dynamics robots, but without the legs, uh, which is you know, it is very interesting. This is uh, this could be the Lockness monster. Like you know this, maybe we should take another few submarines in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that's what that's what people have seen rising. It's a giant. It's a giant Tellly monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, incredible. This is this is definitely cryptid territory where it does not it does not look like something that should have existed.
Speaker 2: It should not be here.
Speaker 1: It shouldn't it Apparently it didn't. It didn't make it.
Speaker 2: No, it didn't. Didn't didn't make it into the president, which is a shame because you know, if if they were, if if they were one of those creatures that had made it through the extinctions, we could like do a genetic test on it and figure out where it might fit. But we've just got these fossils and as far as we know, they only existed in the Cambrian and we don't know what branch of the tree of life they come from.
Speaker 1: Who knows. Maybe it had two butts. We we we really can't tell.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other thing that Martin Smith and Gene Karen found was that when they examined the other side right now, that they've guessed that the side with the fluid explosion is probably the butt. What they look when they looked at the head, they found a couple of spots that looked suspiciously like eye spots. So we go from having this the initial impression of this thing, which is that it has like it walks on stilts. It has this weird balloon head with no eyes, and then we turned it upside down. Now it's walking on its little, soft little feet, it has spikes on its back, and it's got a it's got a head that has eye spots. It starts to look a little bit more like a weird caterpillar, but nonetheless a body plan that does make sense, Like the spikes make sense when you make it, you know, make that analogy to modern day caterpillars. There are a lot of caterpillars that have these thorny projections on their backs that protects it from predators. The soft, soft appendages are very good for locomotion when you're trying to get over ridges and bumps and crawl under things. So that you have this this fluidity of motion, and the eye spots of course pretty important. Like we talked about how some animals that didn't even have any ability to detect light at all were very vulnerable to predators. So yeah, it is. It's like it went through so many strange iterations, and even though what we kind of now think it probably look like and was oriented as is still incredibly weird, it at least makes some sort of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's sort of an example of like it's a very early example of like recognizable features of sort of what would go on to become kind of the body plan of later on animalgy with discernible legs and eyes and a front end and a back end and things like that. Yeah, it's it's very it's it did it in a very weird way, but yeah, it's it is sort of like an early sort of template or trial run for what life on Earth would look like further down the line.
Speaker 1: A prototype, Uh, you know, it's the first draft is never going to be perfect.
Speaker 2: And that evolution isn't you know, most most animals are kind of a B plus, you know, they're sort of good enough.
Speaker 1: That's all, that's all that's required. People sometimes have this impression of evolution as being like a machine that creates the perfect animals, like well, if we are alive right now, or the animals that are alive, they must be you know, perfected forms of life through the elegant process of evolutions. Like now, as long as you can pop out some babies and those babies can pop out babies of their own, it's good enough, good enough, good enough.
Speaker 2: And there's there's always the issue that like, the the more quote unquote perfectly adapted an animal is, the more at risk it is to extinction when the climate change. I like to use it, so when I do science, I like to use the example of bears. So like black bears, quite they've got quite a broad diet, they're fairly adaptable, they can tolerate lots of different temperatures. They're doing okay. Polar bears very strict diets, very tight range of temperatures they can tolerate, and they're having a really tough time of it right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean, it's it's that it's a it's the classic thing of like, well, did you invest everything into one crop right like like pandas do or do you diversify you know, and need a bunch of different things, which does it does help out, but yeah, it is. There is a recent study of looking into sort of the pre we're going back really far. This is like pre animal DNA, like the oh yeah, the protest DNA, and how researchers have sort of used genes from that produce DNA and then found ones that are similar to like gene markers and mice and then tried to see if they could just like put that in there, like sneak a little bit of protest DNA into the mouse to get the same effect as the as that protein sequence that was so similar, and they found indeed they could, which I think is what's so interesting about these early animals is yes, they may have lacked a lot of things, like some of them didn't even have eye spots, some of them didn't have a brain, but they had enough of a genetic library that they could go through say a mass extinction event or these these incredible sort of bottleneck types of events and still have enough diversity that they were able to start developing you know, a flurry of useful features that were then used in later animals that we now recognize as having sort of a useful body plan rather than a strange tube with a strange appendages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, like like you know talking about like giant panels, like herbivores, like as a thing, didn't really exist until the Carboniferous, which is like near the near the end of the Camry period, And that's where you start getting kind of our ancestors. You start getting the first tetrapods and amis of the land based vertebrates, and like the sort of the stem mammals, the kind of proto mammals. That's some of my that's some of my favorite fossil animals is these thing the creatures that kind of break your traditional conception of like animal classification because you kind of learning you kind of learn in school, you know, mammal, bird, reptile, fish, amphibian, inverterate. But then there's so much stuff in the fossil record that just doesn't fit in any of them. And yeah, like the synapsids, which is the sort of the broader group that mammals belong to. Their early ancestors are showed up in the sort of Cambrian period and really really flourished in the Permian so sort of right near the end of the Paleozoic period, and that you know, you've got creatures that are starting to resemble a kind of modern eque system. You've got eight big terrestrial predators and herbivores with all kinds of weird horns and spikes and frills and things coming off them. You've got the first saber toothed predators showing not like even even before the diet You've got you got the gorgonopsids, who are these like horse sized, like lizard wolf things, just just nightmarish stuff.
Speaker 1: But we had there were dragon we be from weird dragon type animals, maybe without the wings.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and these are these are another group where again you have all these questions that you can't quite answer through the fossil record about yeah, because they're they're they're on the they're on the the line towards the mammals, but they're not quite there yet. So were they warm bloody or cold blooded? Did they have skin or scales or fur? Did they produce milk? Is that something that we only find in true mammals or how far how far back does that go?
Speaker 1: There's as you don't need We've we've learned you don't need nipples to make milk, you can just kind of let it just sort of slosh out.
Speaker 2: Of you, just bring them out like a sponge.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, and like sicilians, Yes, I know, yes, it's just like you have so like so when I'm talking about mon treams, I'm talking about platypuses and echidneas and they are you know, egg laying mammals, and they do but they do exude milk, but instead of having discrete nipples, they have these glands and pores and the milk just kind of like leaks out of them, which lovely. Sicilians are a reptile that are not so they are not mammals, but they and they don't technically produce milk, but what they do have is a very nutritious and delicious skin that they allowed their babies to eat off of their bellies. Like Mom, it's mom jerky. It's jerky made from Ah. Hey, you know it's loving, like when mom makes you cookies. But hey, kids, you want a little piece of mom's jerky.
Speaker 2: Sure, lovely.
Speaker 3: On that.
Speaker 2: Any whatever solution.
Speaker 1: Works, whatever works.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty I'm pretty sure Sicilians have been around since the Jurassic or something, so it's worked from so far.
Speaker 1: They're very old and very it's it's a recipe that's been around for many generations.
Speaker 2: Mom Moms classic homebrew Mom's classic home homebrewed bally Skin.
Speaker 1: There we go. Yes, we'll take a quick break, and when we get back, we're going to talk about one of the biggest land Arthur pod. No, the biggest planned Arthur prod that we know about. Uh and uh yeah, So we will be right back. So I do want to talk about arthropleura because I love bugs. It's not really a bug. Oh actually, I don't know. Bug doesn't have a very scientific classification, does it.
Speaker 2: I thought there was. I'm sure I heard that there is. There is a specific group of insects that are called bugs. I can't remember what it is, but in the general pilance, yeah, people just use bugs for bugs. I feel like like an exoskeleton.
Speaker 1: For me, A bug could also be like a shrimp. That's a bug to me.
Speaker 2: So it's a wet bug.
Speaker 1: It's a wet bug. We're eating wet bugs, folks. So Arthur blurro was a genus of massive arthropods that lived well. It was around like three hundred forty something to two hundred ninety million years ago. It was like just a few million years shy of coinciding with dinosaurs, you know, which is nothing.
Speaker 2: And when we talk we talk about we talk about geological time, and we talk about short periods of time that could be like ten thousand years, a couple of million years. That's nothing.
Speaker 1: It's nothing, nothing, just a little blip. But yeah, unlike the other animals I've talked about, this is a terrestrial animal. So like we talked about I mean you've talked about play of animals as well that have been terrestrial. But like the the other really strange ones like anomalo, cars, hallucigenea, uh, the the that big theah yeah yeah, the not alloid, Yes, those have all been marine mammals or marine mammals. Those have all been marine life and they and we we have records of them because of this amazing or just shale because in for the for the not alloid because of its shell. But this is a terrestrial creature and it's really interesting because we do have good records well maybe not good, but enough record of it. And it was a it was incredible looking so like it was basically a giant millipede slash centipede. It had many many segments, many many legs, unlike its modern relatives, though it grew to be over eight feet long, which is around two and a half meters, So it's the largest terrestrial arthropod that we know of, and it had it's a little I mean, if you're thinking of your classic millipede that you typically find in a backyard, and say in the US or in the UK, it's kind of rounded dome like sort of like a little like a little train, subway train. But there are plenty of species of millipedes and centipedes that actually look more like this arthropleura, which is their flatter, they're a little wider, and they have this like pretty serious armor. So they left behind a good number of fossils. But in addition to fossils of the animal itself, they also left behind tracks. Because they were so big, they were able to form these little tracks that were I mean, it's kind of incredible, right, like you think about, like, oh, basically, what this is a giant miller people leaving behind footsteps that then get some you know, you imagine like maybe some landslide happens and then it preserves these these footsteps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's walking through wet mud in the swamp somewhere and that's then dried up and been and covered up. And yeah, some of these so they have them in in Scotland actually, yes, and yeah, they find these trackways of like you know, these two symmetrical rows of the little dots in the ground and they're half a meter wide. You know, you can quite easily stand in the middle of it. They also they very recently, actually a fully preserved head of one of these has announced not long ago, with like mandibles and feelers. So there's there's gonna be there's gonna be some work done on that to figure out like feeding mechanics and things like that. I think most people are pretty on board that it was probably a herbivore because this was this would have been living in the what we call the coal swamps, which is it's a big part of actually the fossil history of where I live. So I live in Stoke on Track, which is a little town in the rough north of England, and the coal mines and the coal measures you know, were a big part of industrial revolution and industry in that whole time of the year. So my museum is mostly full of fossils that have come from that period in time, So it's a lot of fish and a lot of plant fossils occasionally get these big arthropods. They wouldn't have been forests made of trees as we can eventually, because vascular plants weren't quite they weren't quite dominant in the way. So it would have been like giant horsetails and liver warts and club mosses and things like that. So these other plants that these days are generally confined to the understory would have been making up the trees at the time, and then of course that goes on to make the coal that we mind. But yeah, Arthropleura would have been easily one of the biggest animals on the land around at the time. It would have been living alongside there's other giant invertebrates around at the time. There's drag and flies that are half a meter across in wingspan. There's giant scorpions and spiders and things like that.
Speaker 1: It's a there's enough, there's enough ambient oxygen to be able to diffuse through those spiracles.
Speaker 2: It's a it's partially that and that's one of those things that kind of gets misrepresented a lot a lot of people.
Speaker 1: It's not like the only reason that they were able to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not the only idea, and people often apply it to other animals as well. People think that more oxygen makes bigger reptiles and bigger mammals. It doesn't doesn't work that way mainly.
Speaker 1: But the lack of birds was a big one.
Speaker 2: Lack of birds definitely helps, Yeah, but another big part is the opportunity. As far as we can tell, arthropods and specifically something like a millipede might have been the first animals on land. So there's another fossil from Scotland actually older than Arthroplura, called numidesmus, which is another set of footprints. It's another set of tiny fossil footprints that dates back to about four hundred million years ago something like that, which is one of the oldest pieces of evidence of any organism coming onto the land. And when you know, so it would have been earthly sort of grab some millipede looking type creatures coming onto the land and there's no competition, there's nothing competing with them for space or food resources. So just they've got the whole planets of themselves basically to expand and grow and diversify until the arising of the tetrapods that fall invertebrates as they start coming out of the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it is interesting because if you think about it right like this, they think that this was not particularly a vision based sensory creature, right like, it either had very simple eyes or did not have very well functioning eyes, so that it would have probably struggled to compete with a tetrapod that was able to move around, perhaps more nimbly and perhaps have a better visual grasp of being able to like say, get to something faster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because there weren't There weren't very many big land based predators at the time, so the more predatory invertebrates at the time, so things like scorpions and spiders, I think their their body plan kind of limits how big they can get on land and like how lethal they can be. I think the largest of the land scorpions pushed nearly a meat along, so not unsubstantial, but it wouldn't have been a threat to something as big as arthroplura, And you're having this big, tough exoskeleton would have been a big, a big help as well. But yeah, you start to get the early tuxpods coming on land, and yeah, they're more agile. They've they've got limbs, they've got eyes, they've got everything they need to to flick flick this thing over and get to the belly if they want to.
Speaker 1: Just have like a buffet. If you imagine like a like a group of sort of like tetrapods that look like a bunch of little weird mongooses just flip this guy over and then having a having a last supper like meal at the long this. Oh yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Booked a table for booked a table for twenty four, but we're all going to sit on one side.
Speaker 1: I mean, it does. It kind of reminds me of that, like because we do have, like you mentioned, you know, with scorpions. You know, we have a lot of uh you know, not too not too different in terms of the body pillion compared to really touch pods things like mongooses, And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sort of it. Yeah, that's that's quite a comparison. Actually, I have not thought of that poor like like mongooses and mustelids and things like that. Yeah, yeah, that's yeah, sort of long body, short legs kind of. Yeah, they're not far off. It's a very it's a good sort of generalist body plan when you know you want to know moving around on land. Yeah, basically everything. Yeah, if you if you're not going for any kind of big specialty.
Speaker 1: There's eventually, I think, give it a few hundred million years and we're all either going to be noodles or crabs and that's it.
Speaker 2: Everything is about. Everything is evolving back into a.
Speaker 1: Crab and too crab or noodle and then we'll dig it out see which one which body plan works the best. Uh but I mean this it is go ahead, sorry, but yeah, it is really interesting. So this this uh with the arthropleural being able to see these footsteps, does the footprints that have been fossilized, does give us a little bit of insight into its behavior because these tracks were found. I mean it's a little bit of a it's a little bit of a puzzle, right because these tracks were found like near bodies of water. Now, part of that is, like you said, because that is a premium place for these tracks to be fossilized. So it's not a very good statistical indicator where they spent most of their time, because we're gonna have this false like bias towards finding fossils near the water. So maybe it was just a few of them who are just like, oh, that's an interesting area area. It happened to walk there, and we get those footprints and that's what's preserved. Whereas maybe they spent most of their times like on in what areas away from water. We don't know, but we do know they did at least go in those places at least once or twice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. When interpreting behavior for fossil animals, this happens all the time. People will over interpret or misinterpret or things like yeah, you get you know, well you get like, you know, a bone bed of dinosaurs, for example, you find a whole bunch of them buried together, and people go, they were social, they were living in herds. No, this all this tells you is that they died together. It doesn't tell you what they were doing for the rest of their lives. It could have been a flash flood, it could have been a disease or some Yeah you.
Speaker 1: All fill in the same hole. We don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Well, there are examples of that there's like like sinkholes and things you know, like that have been that have been full of the bones of animals that have fought, and you could easy, oh these animals like living in caves. No, no, this is just where they died. And yeah, like you and like trace fossils as well, you know, so things like footprints and copper lights. You know, people will sometimes you over interpret it as one particular behavior. You know, You've always got to keep in mind that a fossil or a trace fossil or whatever it is you're looking at just represents one animal at one particular point in its life. It doesn't represent the complexities of its behavior and its biology. You've got to be really careful about interpreting these sorts of things.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's I think that's what I like about, Like when you look at like modern animal behavior and then you try to think about what humans say, you know, one hundred thousand years from now, or maybe aliens would might how they might misinterpret something. So like that, what we're talking about reminds me of hermit crab death cyclones or they they get stuck. So like we leave out glass or plastic bottles on the beach hermit crabs will investigate the aperture because they are drawn to apertures because I mean, they're always sort of looking out for interesting little nooks and crannies to get into but also potentially home. So they look at this aperture and then they kind of fall into the neck of the bottle. And a lot of these bottles are designed such that the hermit crab can get in, but they can't get out because they don't have the friction right that, like, they have the traction of the sand as they're going in, but once they've slipped in, they no longer have traction, so they're stuck and then they die. And hermit crabs have this behavior that when they smell a dead hermit crab, it gives off this there's this decomposition odor that attracts other hermit crabs because free home, so free real estate folks. And so then they are drawn to this this bottle and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, you just you just end up with a pile in this battle.
Speaker 1: You get a jug of dead hermit crabs. And what a weird thing. Like if you're an archaeologist hundred thousand years from now and you look at this thing you might think, like, well, people liked to gather hermit crabs and jugs and keep them in there for some reason or or this is like hermit crabs liked to use these jugs as like a din and this is like a family of hermit crabs. Everything absolutely wrong, But like you can think about all the ways we could come up with some theory about this, all the ways in which it's wrong. I do. I like, I love these sort of illustrations where I forgot the artist's name, but it's those I think the same artist that was like behind like all Yesterday's or all tomorrow's.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I've met him.
Speaker 2: I've met him. Google Dixon, Sorry Dixon.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, and and sort of the the take, you know, taking up the skeleton of a swan and then trying to reimagine it as someone might try to reconstruct it. Is this terrifying creature that uses its side like like armbones to stab prey and get fish.
Speaker 2: And it's yeah, when you when you find things that have no modern equivalence is when you really start to struggle, like interpreting the behavior or the biology of it, like.
Speaker 1: The Tolly monster, which you know, but yeah, it is a really I think that's what's something that is so interesting to me about palaeontology is that you do you have such limited data and so it is the that doesn't mean you can't come to interesting conclusions or come to correct conclusions, but it requires so much thoughtfulness because you know, it is like what we were saying with like, say, you don't take into account that you're finding this fossil because this is the most this is the only place that a fossil could have formed, and it doesn't actually tell you much about the animal animal's behavior and how you cope with those problems and then yet continue on to figure out, you know, what might actually be a better theory. And it's just so interesting to me. So bad news everyone. My guest did get hit by an asteroid and now has to spend a few million years re evolving. Now he's fine, just his internet cut out. So what a wonderful guest he was, wasn't he? So again, his name is Dane pat You can find him on a Blue Sky so and he is also a museum educator, a science communicator. Very cool. I was so lucky to have him on the show today. Before we go, I do got to play a little game called guests Who's Squawking the Mystery animal sound game. Every week I play a mystery animal sound and you, the listener, try to guess who is making that sound. So here is last week's mystery animal sound. The hint was this, who's a stripey baby? All right? So congratulations to Emily M, joeyp and Jares for guessing correctly that this is a baby zebra. Specifically, this is a baby plane's zebra. So the brain the brain call of a zebra. These are meant to help orient the herd in one direction. It might also be useful for disorienting and confusing predators because you have this cacophony of this sound. Very distracting calls can also be used to communicate socially. Something cute about plaines zebras is that herds will collectively protect bowls by forming a ring around them defensive things. So where all the youngest the babies are protected from creditors. All right, So onto this week's mystery animal sound. It is inspired by young listener Eleanor, And here is the hint. If you wanted it, you should have put a ring on it, all right. So if you think you know who is making that sound, you can write to me at Creature Feature pod at gmail dot com. You can also write to me your questions, interesting articles you've read, questions about your pets, just pictures of your pets. I always love those, So yeah, that's Creature featurepotd at gmail dot com. Thank you guys so much for listening. If you're enjoying the show and you leave a rating and or review, it really does help me. I read all the reviews and all the ratings are incredibly helpful to keeping keeping them metrics up for that algorithm. Because robots rule the world. Be boop thanks to the Space Cossics for their super awesome song ex So Alumina. Creature Feature creat Your features a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts like the one you just heard, visit the iHeartRadio app. Apple podcasts are he guess what p of you listen to your favorite shows? Not your mother, and I can't tell you what to do, but I will tell you this. If you find a tolly monster under your bed, don't panic. Call your local paleontologist. They'll be very interested to meet him. See you next Wednesday