Speaker 1: Brod Ambition Episode four. Hey, hey, hey, it's Tiffany.
Speaker 2: And it's Mandy. Welcome back. I can't move you back? Well are they? We don't really know. We're taking these all in advance, so we have no idea who's going to listen to these.
Speaker 3: They're back. I could feel you, I could feel you.
Speaker 2: In the future. We're cautiously optimistic that there'll be people listening to this. But yeah, thank you, and let's start the show.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's get right into what is buzzworthy.
Speaker 2: What's buzzing. I don't know if this is like old news or not, but apparently Damon Wayne's like this has been came on some radio show and was saying the most offensive things trying to defend Bill Cosby. I got to read you, guys, these quotes that Damon said, and I.
Speaker 3: Was just telling Maddy, Oh, he's kind of fine, and.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, no, no, no, no, I'm retracting that he's not that fine. He's not fine because here's what he says about Cosby and these women after forty years, these women having the courage to come forward and finally speak up for themselves. And this is what Damon Wayne says, big is Bill Cosby's penis that it gives you amnesia for forty years. If you listen to them talk, they go, well, the first time, the first time, how many times did it happen? Just listen to what they're saying. And some of them are really unrapable. You just look at them and go, you don't want that. Get out of here. Unquote. Wow, my blood is boiling. This is like, this is what happens when someone is so I don't know. Maybe he was just trying to be funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's supposedly, in quotes, a comedian, uh huh, And so maybe he was trying to be fine because I see that he there's some articles about him trying to defend himself saying, oh, my words were twisted.
Speaker 3: I'm like, really, those words are pretty clear.
Speaker 2: And what other context? Like he's saying, you should have the full context, But I don't know if we need the full context for that quote.
Speaker 3: Sometimes silence is platinum.
Speaker 2: We've said that before. Silence can make you sound smart. Yeah, you just got to no one to shut up exactly. But I think that there's been so much I mean, obviously it's terrible what happened to these women. But did you see the New York magazine feature where all of them were on the cover? Yes, they and you know they did individual features and not all of them wanted to have their names and their photos, but the majority of them did. Yeah, And do you know how rare it is for rape victims to come forward like that.
Speaker 1: Especially against someone like as huge as Bill Cosby. He's an icon, he's a cultural icon, like. You cannot deny that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and people have such deep emotional connections to him, and that's why you don't want to believe the worst of people. But you can't deny evidence when it's staring you in the face.
Speaker 3: Especially when he says himself that he used to in.
Speaker 4: His own words, out of his own mouth, people are like, oh no, I'm like, no, no, he said I have used drugs to have sex with women.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know that it gets heady clearer than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're still defending Bill Cosby, then you are not paying attention and you deserve no one's time nor your attention. So I apologize for just talking about Dame Wayne's but does that say his name?
Speaker 3: Damon?
Speaker 2: That's how irrelevant he is. Even how to say his name, Damon Wayne Senior. Sorry, Okay. Next on the list of buzzworthy is another headline that I saw, which talks about something really interesting is whether college lectures might be unfair to minorities and people from low income backgrounds. I found this really fascinating because I guess it's something that I take for granted, the fact that I didn't go to the greatest schools. In fact, I went to three different high schools and they weren't you know, they were public schools in Georgia, and the public education system is fine. But I didn't realize how what an advantage it was that I went to a decent school and I had a lecture type of environment. Okay, And this article kind of talks about research that shown that people of color who come from maybe not the greatest schools, or people from low income backgrounds who tend to grow up in areas that have less funding for public education, aren't used to necessarily having this structured lecture listen to this professor drone on and on on and write notes on a board and then get quiz on it later. They're not used to that kind of atmosphere, and they tend to perform less. They tend to perform that as well, not as well as white male and typically more privileged students. They say that active learning courses, that's a new kind of style of teaching that structure class and out of class assignments to make sure that students are actually engaged with the material. So for example, like instructors would pose questions about the week's reading and they would ask the teacher that ask the students to answer the questions online four grade before they come to class, and that kind of like greases the wheels and get them thinking about it beforehand.
Speaker 3: I love them.
Speaker 2: And those sorts of things that have like more of a loose structure and get people really talking beforehand can help people. And I think that's something that instructors should pay attention to, especially if you have a diverse group of people.
Speaker 1: You know, I used to be a teacher for like ten years and we would call it like differentiated learning, okay. And it's so strange how the older the student gets, the less people are really concerned with making sure that learning takes place in an appropriate way. Like when I taught preschool, that was like paramount that like are you addressing the auditory learner. Are you is someone like a child who listens and hears. I literally had a child that when I spoke to him when I was teaching him his letters, he had to turn away, basically turning off his other senses and just listen. Are you addressing the visual learner? Like you know, the vast majority of people really learn from seeing. But then there's also kinesthetic learners. I don't know if you ever watched Aquila and the Bee where she's jumping rope and doing her ABC. That's a kinesthetic learner that they have to move as they're learning. And so like you know, making kids sit in the chair and if you're a setic learner, you might need to clap as.
Speaker 3: You send your ABC.
Speaker 1: That's one of the reasons why we do that with children because every child has kind of like you usually have one way that you lean toward, and there's like secondary and like third. So it's crazy that the younger the child, the more that's important. Like as a college professor, they're like, no, we're teaching you in this one way, take it or leave it.
Speaker 2: And especially when you talk about going into a career in the working world, if you work for a company. I mean, you come into a company and you're one of like, I don't know, I'm one of twelve thousand employees. So if I have a particular way of working, well, sorry, there's twelve thousand people here. We can't. This is how it's going to be. You have to accliment yourself. So that's it for that's worthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you have.
Speaker 2: Any thanks, If you guys have any buzzworthy links or headlines or topics you think we should talk about, email us at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: We're gonna move on to Brown Break, Brown Break, what you're gonna do?
Speaker 3: I don't know why they came over me.
Speaker 2: Get tired of shit?
Speaker 1: All right, So a few of my friends they're going to kill me for this one because a few of them.
Speaker 2: I want you to die.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're not going to kill me, all like in real life, I don't think so I need a brown break from life coaches.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to say, but there are so many life.
Speaker 1: Coaches, but not everyone should be coaching people on their.
Speaker 2: On their lives and such a wishy, washy squishy title too. I'm a life coach. I'll gonna help you better your life. But how, And then what did you study in college?
Speaker 1: And how does how is anyone really even expert at life? Well, I'll say this that some of my friends are life coaches, and they're doing an excellent job. I can see, you know, the changes they've made in women's lives. But for example, there's a young woman who reached out to me. She's all of twenty two, twenty three, okay, and so apparently she's lived enough life to coach others on life.
Speaker 2: Oh so she's wise bondered. Yeah, she's an old soul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's been here before, so she's life coaching now.
Speaker 1: And that's what I mean about needing a brown break from life coaching because also to what I've seen, which is really dangerous and unfair, I've seen some life coaches really take advantage of women because a lot of women who are going to a life coach, they're in a low time, or they've suffered from some sort of like violence or just depression, and they're looking for help. And I've seen them be upsold for thousands of dollars for coaching sessions from people who are really just looking to make money, not looking to make change.
Speaker 2: How much do some of these coaches like.
Speaker 1: I've seen, like honestly, like one on one you can pay upwards of ten thousand dollars to.
Speaker 2: Speak one or Tony Robbins kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, for that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But then like on the lower end five hundred, one thousand, fifteen hundred, I've seen coaches who are not particularly famous sell twenty five hundred dollars packages in the back of the room.
Speaker 3: And so, like I said, though not all are bad.
Speaker 1: So this is if you are considering any sort of coach, financial coach, life coach, business coach, whatever. To me, if your coach that you're considering does not give away a significant amount of value for free online somewhere or in person or whatever, then I would reconsider. Yeah, So if you go to their blog and they don't have some really great meatia blogs that really help to move you forward, or they're you know, they don't have some sort of social media group or a community that you can join and kind of see them in action, or they don't have some like free workshops that you can attend. You know that every time that you try to get any additional information, you're always hit with that's gonna cost you know, stop signed, well, that costs, and that costs, and well I need to see, you know, if you're really doing what you say you're gonna do. And also too, I would look to see because if you you'll be able to see based upon like what they put out there, what are people saying, thank you so much because you've helped me do this? You know, are you seeing those kind of comments underneath? If not, then I would reconsider because someone who is not willing to give without you giving them money upfront, I would be very cautious of because then what are they really here for? Are they just here just to make money? And we're all, you know, here to of course make a living. But to me, when you're in the business of coaching someone's life, there has to be a higher calling than just making money. So I need a brown break from all the life coaches all like the Snake Oil Yeah, the snake yeah, the Snake Girl life. Not all of them, I'm sorry. Some of you, like I said, are great. Like there're a friend of mine, Lucinda Cross, She's an amazing life coach. I mean, I've seen women like literally change their lives and tell me like I'm not the same person.
Speaker 2: But it's all about referrals. I would ask, Yeah, definitely ask around to be sure that you're not, you know, spending money on like a fake Yeah, excellent.
Speaker 3: So definitely not a twenty three year old I mean honestly.
Speaker 2: I mean it depends on what they're gonna teach. You don't expect to get, like, I don't know marriage and retirement. Well, I was writing about retirement when I was twenty three. No, I speak to experts. I'm not saying that I'm a retirement expert. I'm a journalist. My job's talk to smarter people than I am. But yeah, I think that's a good point. So my brown break this week is something that I don't really make a point to go out of my way to visit this particular website. However, I am a user of Facebook, and some of my Ratchetor some of my Ratchetter family members love posting links from World Star Hip Hop. So I am like confronted daily with these videos of like black on black, brown on brown violence, people getting in fights at McDonald's on the train. I was just looking at their website. One of the headlines right now is some woman who had sex with a passed out homeless man or something like that. They're just like spreading, They're just proliferating the idea that minorities are like just a bunch of wild animals out there acting in these like animalistic ways. And I'm not saying that, you know, obviously violence, I feel like violence should be seen as a lesson and there should be consequences. But the way that they make money off of these videos and they like perpetuate these stereotypes and they're celebrating these instances of violence, it just doesn't turn off to me. I'm stick of seeing these and people are like us.
Speaker 1: I mean, have you ever seen people like they'll something will be going down and they'll say world SRD like people are looking now for they.
Speaker 2: Don't even help people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they'll pull out their camera phones so they'll help somebody. They're like, oh, this is a world star and you're just like, wow, this is crazy. How about you help that baby that's being hurt instead of taping you know, someone beating up a child.
Speaker 1: That might be helpful. So yeah, world star, you on break, You're on a brown break. You and life coaches with no lessons to teach.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to unfollow a lot of my family members on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm good for really taking what I'm good for unfriending and following.
Speaker 2: My friend has love the unfollowed button. They don't know that you unfollow them, but you are in a life, nice little bubble of just ignorance of whatever.
Speaker 3: They're one of my friends.
Speaker 1: What he does, which I'm like, well, I totally stole his. Thanks cabral for this, I totally stole his. His Uh, the way he uses Facebook. So if Facebook says, hey, it's Mandy's birthday, and I'm like, when did that friend Mandy? He uses your birthday and the notification of birthdays to unfriend people that he no longer is interested.
Speaker 2: It's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you're like, oh, so happy birthday, we're no longer friends. And so I do that sometimes because sometimes I have almost five thousand friends off Facebook, and I'm like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't add people. I don't add people anymore. And you know, because of my job, you know, you probably get tons of random friends request from people that you don't know, and I just stopped adding people. I'm like, you can follow my public page, but I don't want you to see my baby photos and like my post my dad post like my embarrassing parents posted me on my wallet. I don't know. There's too much information for you, stranger. So anyway, we're also hip hop brown break and from the people who post World Star hip hop links. Alrighty, it's time for the tip of the week. This is one that I feel like I'm an. I don't feel like I'm an expert about many things, but I am an expert about joint finances. I've been well an expert of a few years now. I think that cohabitating has become so much more common, especially with young couples. I mean, we're both cohabitating, yeah.
Speaker 1: Which is so weird because if you would have asked me, like in my early twenties, I'd be like, I'm not shacking up living in sins, right, and some of you guys are side. I guess I'm like I was like, only God could judge me.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, But it's.
Speaker 2: Complicated because you're in a weird you're not in a weird in between. You're living together, so you're kind of married, but you're not married, so you can't be like all up in their finances. But you need to be, but you don't know how and it's like so complicated. So I have some tips for couples who want to figure out a way to after you move in together or getting really serious, to start easing into co mingling your finances. So I'm going to start. There's four tips here. The first one I'm going to give is the idea of having a separate and joint bank accounts. It's called you can call it a your mine and our system. So yeah, consider keeping your own separate bank accounts. Actually do this with my boyfriend. We both have our separate credit and our separate checking accounts, but we have one savings account that we share, do you not smart? And we pay rent out of that account. So we both automatically set up direct deposits for the amount that we owe for rent. So when both us get paid, that money goes into the joint savings and then I'm in charge of paying the rent. It's so easy, there's no awkward, Hey, can you give me your check that you're about You know, I'm gonna go down like you're kind of late. It just takes out all that awkward you know in between. You can even have a joint check, a joint checking account for joint expenses like bills or groceries, just something simple. I would say, open up. I use Capital one three sixty, which is an online only bank. If you're afraid of online only banks, don't be. They're also they're just they have just as many protections as traditional banks, and they charge way fewer fees and they actually have higher interest rate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because there's no overhead with like the whole exactly.
Speaker 2: Yea, they save so much money. So that's my first tip.
Speaker 3: I like that one, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Secondly, I would say speak openly about your financial goals. You don't have to have this one like come to Jesus, sit down and just spill out your heart and soul and all my financial drama and all my financial baggage, and here's all my goals, and what are we getting married and how much it's going to cost. Don't do that all at one time. But I would say, if you haven't moved in yet you're thinking about it, do what I did. We had We had a nice dinner, We had a bottle of wine, and we had a kind of chat about what our budget would be for our apartment, how we might handle the bills. He and I earn different incomes. I earn a little bit iron you know, a substantial amount more than him, enough to make it a difference in terms of how much we pay in rent, Like if we were to split it down the middle, it wouldn't be fair, Okay. So we agreed early on we were going to do things based on our income, like just an even income split, as far as like a ratio for our bills at Yeah, so you know, I pay like I would say, two thirds two thirds of the rent. I'm bat anyway, it's it's I pay about four hundred dollars more a month in rent, and then you know, I pick up the bigger bill. Our bigger bill is cable. I'll get that, and then he picks up the electricity bill.
Speaker 3: Okay, but it's still like your like that kind of we don't.
Speaker 2: We didn't like get obsessive about getting it down to the tea. And we've adjusted over time. We've had other conversations. So when we first move in together, I was going to pay like two hundred dollars more. And then after a few months, I was like, hey, you know, boyfriend, how's it working out. Do you feel like you're able to make your you know, paying your bills. He also has some debties trying to pay off, and he's like, you know, I am kind of stressed. I'm feeling like I can't really manage. And I said, okay, well I'm going to pick up more of the rent. Okay, and we'll get to a place where we can, you know, to where you feel comfortable.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Like so I'm sort of helping him toward his goals. So having that conversation beforehand. Okay, So what if you move in together and you haven't had the conversation and you're starting to realize that you don't really have a clear goals or a clear strategy for managing your finances, then just have a conversation. Still have that dinner away from the apartment I would recommend, and definitely not in bed before you go to sleep. Yeah, don't do it. I made a mistake before. I made the mistake of like we're both like getting to sleep and I'm like, hey, did you pay that credit card bill? A fight ensue was like why, oh my business, Like don't back back, yeah exactly. So you can come up like, oh, we had this one role that we do, which is if you're going to spend over a certain amount of money. We tell each other, okay, and our number is like two hundred dollars because we're saving it. We have you know, we're saving up for some joint some future stuff. Okay, And so it's important, you know, I think it's a sign of trust and it's a sign of It's not that I'm trying to control his finances. You never want to control. That's a form of abuse. You don't want to be controlling of your partner party. Yeah, but you do need to have an open line of communication. And two hundred dollars for us is a significant amount, and that you know, if you're spending that, then that that plays into how much we can save this month for a vacation, something that we're both trying to work towards.
Speaker 3: So how I try to work that? Because I tried that and Superman.
Speaker 1: Was like yeah, no, I was like, okay, And honestly, it's actually better because I at first I thought like, oh, it's a good idea, but I buy bigger ticket items than he does because I travel a lot.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I was like, actually, you know what, maybe we won't do that.
Speaker 1: So but instead what's worked is that we have we've automated savings, so he I've had him automated savings, so when his check comes, he has automated savings going to his daughter's college fund. We have an automated savings going to our savings account. The bills he's has automatedly taken out, so really what's left is kind of like what he can play with, so he could do whatever he kind of wants.
Speaker 2: Deposit as the best. You know, that helped my boyfriend too, so getting him to automate all exactly.
Speaker 1: So he's like, it's weird now because he's like, I hardly have any money left when I you know, but he like because he has like three different things that are he's saving for. He has his own personal savings account us his daughter, and then he has his play money that's kind of left over, but his own personal savings he can kind of if he wants to dip into it, that's his choice. But I've learned, like with your partner, to kind of lean in some places and like lean back on others. I'm like, you know what, Bill's paid safe and safe. He has a retirement account, so if he wants to kind of splurge within the confines of what's left over. I don't want to tell him no, right, you know so.
Speaker 2: But you need to feel safe. You have to feel in like a safe enough space to where like if you know that your partner has like a ton of credit card debt and a ton of student loan debt, and then you see him or her blurgeon going to the mall. I'm buying like a three piece suit, not naming any names. See, that would be me.
Speaker 1: See, he literally has no debt. So I'm the one with I don't have a ton of credit card debt. I'm credit card debt free, but I have like hefty student loans. And so you know, he I'm the one that he should be sideyed, like another vacation.
Speaker 3: Really because what about Sally Bay? She's not calling?
Speaker 2: But then do you pull them the budget Nista card? You can't tell me nothing.
Speaker 1: No, you know. I always feel so bad because I'm always the one getting on him. He's like, I have no debt, I'm debt free. Why are you getting on me? And then I have to remember, oh, he's right.
Speaker 3: So what's tip number three?
Speaker 2: One of my tips I kind of touched on before, but it's the idea of being fair and being equitable. You don't want to. I don't think it's comfortable or like even fun to be in a relationship where it's like we're gonna split the bill down the middle at dinner and like duke to credit cards and oh did you get the Klamario but you had a glass of wines. You're gonna pay seventeen, I'm gonna pay thirteen fifty. No, no, no, no no. I think you need to have like a sort of a game plan in place, like an are we going to trade off date night paying for that? Are we going to have a joint credit card that we use for date night and then we have a certain limit on that. There's a couple of apps that I like where you can split if things get confusing, if there's so many different expenses and you guys are going out, you go on a lot of group dinners and things like that, and you want to make sure things were equitable. This is probably more important for people who are cohabitating because or especially if you don't have joint checking and like if you're going the yours, mine and hour's route where you have your own money and you want to make sure that things are fair. You can download the apps like split wise where you can share bills and then Avocado isn't necessarily Avocado is cool app. It's not necessarily for finances, but you can you can share a calendar and keep track of each other, and you can add a to do list manager, and that to do list can be you know, oh, remember it's your turn to pay this bill, or oh remember you oh so and so we have to plan for this. It's a nice like couple's management. It's kind of cute and kind of like dorky couples to use, but I have married friends who use it and they love it. Okay, okay, So last and last, but not least, this is my sort of like reality check tip, which is to prepare for the worst. It's not it's possible that not every couple will make it. And when you move in together and things start commingling and you're sharing expenses, it's it's it can be hard to sever those ties if you ever break up. So I recommend you can do this legally, like legit with a lawyer and getting it notarized. But there's something you can drop called the cohabitation agreement. It can be like I said, you can do it with a lawyer and pay like I don't know. See if you know a lawyer, friend will do it for like one hundred bucks or something like that. But you write down basically the agreement you have this joint account. This person's in charge of these bills. This person's in charge of those bills. It's kind of like the pre nup for people moving in together. And it's a new concept, relatively new concept, but it's if you remember that episode of Sex and the City where Carrie Bradshaw and Aiden. I live for Aiden. I'm still magi. Yeah, I'm still mad.
Speaker 3: She chows back. I love Aid too, but I know her and Big that was just fairy tale.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it was not a fairy tale. It's another episode. I hate Big. That was a that was a dysfunction junction and relationship anyway. But the episode where Carrie and Aiden have moved in together, he's knocked out the wall in her apartment and he's built an extension and like expanded her apartment. And then they break up and she's sitting in a chair and he sends her a letter and she's all like cozied up in the chair ready to read this beautiful heartfelt my heart has been broken letter and she opens it up and she's been served with papers that he's basically suing her for the apartment or taking like I don't know if he sues her, but basically the bottom line is that she has to like either pay for the apartment from him or get out and he's going to sell it. And that's you know, that's a consequence of not being married and like not having any rights really, and he bought the place, so cohabitation agreement is something, and you know, it can be just a document, like like I said, my boyfriend and I every couple of months will sit down and have a check in and I'll be like, how are you doing? Do we need to rejig or how we're budgeting? And you could adjust that document, spreadsheet, Google doc basic, whatever you need and just have a record that you both can see and feel a little bit more peace of mind about. And if you're buying a home, it's especially important. And this is actually something that's happening more commonly unmarried couples buying homes. Yeah, and some attorneys that I've talked to have recommended doing this, like I said, a pre nup for your home. Yeah, it says yeah, who says who's going to pay for it? And what happens if you break up? Who's going to get what? And you know that kind of stuff. Are both names going to be on the deed. It's messy stuff, but you'll be thankful if something goes wrong. All right. So that's it for Brown tips. So we're back, b ac k you Yes, okay, just preparing myself. Yes, she's gonna think every time, you guys, every time.
Speaker 1: Every single time. So we're back, and we're back with brown brilliance. And I have an amazing brown brilliance that I want to share today. So Latisa E. Wallace, some of you might have seen her video. She is the state representative for Illinois, and she was at the state House in Illinois and she spoke so powerfully against I guess there was a bill that they were proposing to cut childcare for low income families.
Speaker 2: Cut funding for a public service personse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so she made it very clear that she didn't say it was because of race, but it was very clear that they were doing so as a just I guess as a result of the feeling that certain people did not deserve childcare, and the reason why they don't deserve child care is because they made poor choices and having children. And she was like, first of all, one, it's not your place as a lawmaker to impose a moral judgment on your constituents.
Speaker 2: That's one, But how often do our elected leaders do such a thing? Exactly just that thing?
Speaker 1: And she said and also too, that their moral code is not necessarily true. She used herself as an example, which I thought was brilliant. She said that she herself needed childcare assistance because she and her then fiance broke up they had a child, broke up because of domestic violence, and she had her master's at the time, and so she does not fit this mole that they have of just a woman who has all these children. It's very irresponsible. So we're not going to help you. And she's like, not every woman falls into that category, and even if she does, it doesn't mean that she still doesn't. They still don't deserve help. Something that she said that was really powerful to me in her speech, And if you have not seen it, please go to Brown Ambition our facebook page Brown Ambition.
Speaker 3: We posted the video there. You're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: If you're a brown ambition, you know, follower and lover of brown ambition, you're gonna love it. What was really powerful she said that if it was about the money, then they would vote to maintain this assistance for low income families because for every dollar that you put into a program like this, the economy gets back seven dollars. But she said, it's obvious it's not about the money, because why wouldn't somebody want to get back seven dollars for every dollar invested?
Speaker 3: And so I just want to just really go up for her.
Speaker 1: I'm like, she is my my bff online right now.
Speaker 3: I sent her a friend request because I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna seller right.
Speaker 3: I was like, this needs to be my friend, be my friend.
Speaker 2: Well, you know she's done. I was looking at her like biography, and she was a mental health counselor. She's done a lot of work. She works for a nonprofit that helps women in abusive relationships. And God, this is why it's so important to have women of color in elected position in whatever it's at the state level, local level, national level, federal, whatever, because they put a voice to these issues that white men and just men in general will not get sometimes and you have to hear it from a woman's voice. There's studies that show that people are more empathetic of social issues such as childcaracter or even abortion things like that, or gay rights, for example, if they know someone who was going through this issue or is part of this issue. And the problem with having people that having a lack of diversity and elected positions is that they probably don't know people in exhabitions. You grow up and you're surrounded by constituents that agree with you and support you, and other elected officials who look like you, and you don't ever hear these other stories opposing points of view. And God, I just loved listening to her. And she was so calm, so chill, but she was so powerful.
Speaker 1: You could tell that she was livid yet like just really passionate, Like, well, before you vote, and she probably knew that they were already going to vote, so they voted basically the same way they were going to vote anyway, which is to get rid of this program, right, yeah, you know, unfortunately, but and so she probably knew that. In the way she spoke, she you can kind of tell she knew that, but she wanted to make it very clear that she knew what they were doing, and she basically her speech was to hold up the mirror to say shame on you.
Speaker 2: And it's not just happening in Illinois. That's like widespread cutting. Well, first of all, there's so little federal and national fund state funding for childcare for working mothers and working parents. There's some, but there's not like in the United States does not have like a federal mandated childcare support policy, like you see these Eastern European company countries that are I don't know, Denmark, Sweden that give all this childcare. And the fact of the matter is that childcare is expensive, like it is so I have some stats here that in nineteen sixty childcare made up just two percent of young parents' budgets. Today it makes up nearly one fifth of a young person's budget. And you're talking about the average childcare in America costing nearly twelve thousand dollars a year. And that's not even for like the Blockbuster.
Speaker 1: Yes, the fancy like my friends who are like have kids, they're like, I don't even know, Like my best friend Dreama, she just had a baby. He's Gabe is godmommy and he's such a cutie. He's about five kittie, yeah, about five months old. And she works from home. But she doesn't work from home because you can't. It was really a five month old. So her thing is twice a week his grandmother watches him so she can get work done because they can't afford, you know. Because I was like, well, why don't you get like, you know, help, She's like, well, how, you know, how can we afford we're young couple.
Speaker 3: How can we afford chocolate? As expensive as it is. So it's a real thing.
Speaker 1: And you know, she and her boo make decent money, so it's not like they're like, oh, you know, like no, she had a thriving business, but not being.
Speaker 3: Able to work like she used to.
Speaker 2: It's just like it's like an extra mortgage or rent pain for some people. And the fact that there's not the support for having I mean mean you have to The tendency is like this per like Latista was making her point. Representative Wallace was trying to make a point that people are so quick to do counties public services because they have this idea that it's poor, greedy, brown people, lazy don't want to go to work. But no, it's working class people. The fact of the matter, like, like she points out so eloquently in her speech, is that wages are falling for regular, average working Americans, and so many working Americans are relying on jobs that don't even pay them a living wage, she pointed.
Speaker 1: Out, which I thought was so powerful, that there were so many families with a mother and a father both working and still not able to afford childcare.
Speaker 3: So what are you really saying.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've seen graph after graphs showing how minimum wage from state by state is not enough to support a family of three or four, right, So then I don't get it, like you know, it's just.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, but then, oh, just go to college and get a degree and you wouldn't have to work at McDonald's. Oh well, then the average college debt people graduate with this thirty thousand dollars. It can cost you know, upwards of forty thousand dollars a year just to go to a state school. I mean, I could go on and on and on. There's just the fact of the matter is that expenses are hi today in America and wages that are not growing fast enough, and the government is supposed to be there to support people and you know, times like this, and I hope that we'll see some legislation at state and federal levels that will support working families who need child care in the future.
Speaker 1: So we would just want to say good on you, Representative Wallace, thank you for taking a stand.
Speaker 2: Come me on the show.
Speaker 1: Yes, we would love to have you. Since she did not accept my friend request, which is totally fine. She might I mean cee. So that is the end of our episode for today. We hope that you enjoyed and if you would like to share some Brown brilliance with us, if you have a question that you'd like for us to answer via tips, where can they find this, Mandy?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Facebook our groups called Brown Ambition. You can find us our website. We haven't talked about our website that much. We do have a website. You can find every episode along with links to the stories that we're talking about and photos and anything relevant on our website. The website is Brown Ambition podcast dot com. Funnily enough, that's also our email address Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com and Twitter at.
Speaker 3: The BA podcast.
Speaker 1: So hopefully we will tweet you Facebook you website, you see you on the interwebs.
Speaker 2: Yes, bye guys.
Speaker 3: Bye.