Speaker 1: Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the may Hero. Let's talk about it. Let's talk about the man hero.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Welcome back to the mailroom, everybody.
Speaker 3: We are here with Jordan run Todd.
Speaker 2: I'm also joined by Professor Matt Ziegelman from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
Speaker 3: And before I get into that.
Speaker 2: I just want to reorient people that were in the middle of our series on Peroni's disease. We've had some natural history disease, state who gets it, how do we get it?
Speaker 3: What are the treatments?
Speaker 2: And the reason that I'm bringing in Professor Ziegelman is because he is really one of the most renowned surgeons in the country and therefore really in the world on dealing with some of the more complex cases of Pirnie's disease in the OAR and Matt and I have shared and and have talked back and forth about some of the more complicated cases that we've dealt with over our careers, and so he's a wonderful resource for me as a surgeon surgeon but also is able to break down some of the crazy things we're going to be talking about today. Because when I think about surgery for Prayerroni's, especially the more involved ones. It is some of the most delicate surgery we do in all of medicine. I mean, you think about spine surgery, sure, you think about neurosurgery, sure, But for us to be able to do a really good job on a Peroni surgery where we're the granddaddy of them all, which I'm sure we'll get into something called a plaque dexcision and graft, we essentially have to Jordan, I'm glad you're sitting down for this, and if you want to take some Sofran, now is the time to do it, because I know you get a little queasy. But we essentially have to disassemble most of the penis to fix the disease state and then reassemble it. And you got to do everything perfectly in order for a guy to have a good outcome. And so we're going to break down that as well as just kind of what we guys have to go through to get to that state, as well as what are the options and surgery.
Speaker 3: So, Matt, how's it going.
Speaker 2: I'm going to introduce you here in a second, but you look like you're in your your coat, You're in your scrubs like me.
Speaker 3: So it looks like we both have an our day to day.
Speaker 4: I'm I just did a consult. I'm actually on admin today, so this is a nice, perfect opportunity. But yeah, I'm really grateful for this opportunity. I've been I've been listening enthusiastically to your podcast. Here. What an honor to be here.
Speaker 2: Oh come on, now, this is great, I mean an honor for you. This is Matt Ziegelman here, professor of Urology at Mayo Clinic. He grew up born and raised really in the great state of North Dakota and went to North Dakota State along with Phil Jackson, Carson Wentz, who else am I forgetting? I mean notable alumni, including you professor here theoclinic. But he's also been really trained at some of the better programs in the country, including doing his fellowship in Male sexuals Dysfunction at RUSH in Chicago with Larry the Vine of the one of the giants in our field.
Speaker 3: As well.
Speaker 2: He is on the board of directors for the Sexual Medicine Society of North America, which was one of our premier and actually the premier section medicine society really in the country and therefore also in the world along with the International Society of Sexual Medicine. I shot out these guys all the time and the work they do, and he's really fully, fully, so focused. We'll fix that one and post solely focused. Now, don't just let her up. He is solely focused. One of the rare guys like me really that just do sexual medicine in men's health and perone's disease. And being at the Mayo Clinic, I'm sure he's seen a lot of cases that really very difficult for anybody else to take care of. So that's why I brought you in, Professor Ziegelman, to talk to us about some of the surgical management since we've we've gone over interleagional therapy. But I'll get your I'll get your opinion on that because one of the things that I really want to really start with is if we're if we look at what we always say, the pills and pokes and procedures of Payerne's disease, that's another four piece, like we have the five piece of the pinocalypse. Now we have bills, folks, procedures Payne's. But but you know, how does a guy get to your OAR. I think it's one of the things that we're going to unpack. But let's start with that. When you see a guy and you're counseling him and say, he's already seen like many of your patients, three or four other urologists, and he comes in and says, Professor Ziegelmann, I want you to operate on me.
Speaker 3: How does that conversation start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a great question. I still like to start from scratch, to be honest. I mean, when I see my patients, it's tell me you know when this started, Like catch me up to speed. The is the phrase I like to use. And then I do a formal assessment in the office and then we start the conversation with I know you've been through some of these options. I know you've talked through other options with other clinicians. But let me just tell you what I think about traction. Let me tell you what I think about injections, let me tell you what I think about surgery specific to your case. And I think it's important to just emphasize to our patients that we are multifacet in our approach. And I just don't want somebody to think that even if they come in asking for surgery that I'm that's all that we have to offer. If nothing out that nothing else, excuse me. That just builds trust that we are in this together and we're you know, we're not just out there, you know, willy nilly cutting on.
Speaker 2: As Yeah, I think that's I mean, that's especially with Perroni's surgery, where side effects and the adverse events are are high. And you know, we we joke that if if you're a hand surgeon, you have ten fingers. So even if you know you don't have the great day in the oar, you still have nine fingers and most guys you get one penis. And therefore, like we got to be spot on, we gotta do. You can you can laugh while go on by Jordan, I mean that beautiful smile of yours. But yeah, we really, uh, we really do though. I mean, it's it's something that that you can't just jump in and shake your guy's hand and say I'll book you next Wednesday.
Speaker 3: So I think that's important.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about what you think if a guy comes in in a cute versus chronic phase. We've defined these and as you know from all the times we've been on stage to get everything else. I'm not a huge fan of acute and chronic in terms of six months to eighteen months or twelve months, or it's more sort of symptoms. But there is there a guy that it's too soon to operate on. How do you counsel somebody in terms of their disease state and what they've been through before they go to the OAR with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the dichotomy of active or acute versus chronic is kind of troublesome in a lot of ways, especially as we define who's a good candidate for surgery. You know, the guy who comes in and says, my symptoms started six weeks ago and I've noticed change over that period. That's not somebody where I'm going to feel enthusiastic about offering surgery. I usually like to just explain the rationale for waiting until we see things stay eyes. I feel comfortable with three months of stable symptoms, and you rely on the patient for that. It's not like I'm doing an assessment at three months, six months, nine months to prove that. I'm just explaining to the patient that if we operate too soon, you may still be in this period of active dynamic change and we may be operating on something before it's fully defined. Yeah, So I mean it's just generally probably around you know, six symptom duration of six months with stability for three months, So no change in your symptoms for three months. I feel pretty confident beyond that. But if at six months they say no, last month it was it was much better than it is today, I'm going to go hold on and we need to wait a little longer. So it is a it is a individualized decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that that that's the key as well for me, is that if if you go too soon, you could either undercorrect or overcorrect. If they're on any kind of therapy, that that may be changing this a little bit. And that that stable phase three month sounds like a pretty good time, And I think I don't. I don't have that exact cutoff either, but it just seems right and and I do. And you know, I'm sure you see the same patients that come in and say, you know, it took me forever to get in here, and I just you know, I got it.
Speaker 3: I need a plan, I need to do this now.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the things that we have to do in pernis is set those expectations and and so that's my next question for you, is how do you set expectations for Peroni's Because, as we talked about, I mean, this is you know, our our penis. The penis is such a it's such a big part of our identity and our psyche. And when we get Parone's disease, whether you get curvature or shortening or hourglassing or hinging, all the different form fruits that we've talked about on this on the show, then you're never going to get that same penis back. But how do you tell a guy, how are you going to get from where you are in my office miserable and life altered to the point where you're happy or at least satisfied with the outcome. Talk to me about expectations.
Speaker 4: The most important and the most challenging part of I think the practice. I mean, yes, the surgery is intricate, there are nuances to the non surgical treatments, but I think one of the most like one of the things that helps define a really good clinician in this space is is their ability to counsel patients, and one is to empathize with patients and just acknowledge that you know where you're at today and where you were at before this all started are two very different points. And unfortunately, and always say that up front, we're not going to get you back there. I mean, it's it's imperative that we emphasize that we don't want to. That just sets the wrong sort of the wrong tone if we If patient leaves my office and thinks, you know, I'm I'm going to get back the penis I had before, that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of hope and a lot of enthusiasm, but just acknowledging that upfront, and then I like to use the idea of you know where you're at today and you can think back to yesterday i e. When this all started and say that was a great place to be my that was a great penis. Now but now if we're going to talk about what I can do for you, we need to use today as the reference point. And so my goal is that tomorrow i e. After treatment, you say to yourself, I'm in a better place than I was today. And so that's the that's the counseling point that I've found lands with patients and I think it makes it makes intrinsic sense to me as well. Sometimes that's a really hard thing for patients to hear, and I mean we you know, we see tears sometimes. I mean, this is such a devastating thing for men. But at the end of the day, I think that you know, the many times those men once once they hear that, and they hear that you're still here to partner with them and there are still things that you can do, they still leave with help. And that's you know that for a better for a better life, a better penis a better better sexual function, better intimacy than they they're currently envying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it's we always emphasize that we try to restore function, and that's that's the best expectation that I can set for any surgical candidate. And that's critical because there are guys that will never be able to kind of get back to where they were in their prime. And I find it's you know, sort of like talking with athletes, and you know that that when you were eighteen, when you were twenty two, you probably could throw a one hundred and two mile an hour fastball, and maybe by the time you got to twenty six, you started to lose a little velocity. But you know, can you go still play a good game of baseball when you're fifty?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I mean it's not the game you played when you were twenty five, but but you still got some some hunt and some fight left, pinion. And that's about the best we can do. So how do you how do you prepare somebody for surgery? And we're going to spend the last half of this. The next half of is just talking about the various options and who are candidates. But before you get to that point, talk to me about your pre opt talk your preparation. Do you talk about nutrition, hormone management, just you know, get somebody ready for your O war. If I'm flying all the way to Minnesota, I want to know you know what my soup and nuts are here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I mean the ultimately, the line I like to use is that if it's good for your heart, it's good for your penis. So generally, anything we can do to optimize your your general health status is going to optimize our outcomes with surgery. And that's particularly important as we're going to talk about with the sort of the most invasive surgery. But the you know, the plaque incision or partial black excision and grafting. But generally we want to optimize sexual function, which goes beyond just a straight penis or a straight or penis, and that starts with stress management, which is hard when patients are dealing with something stressful. Payerne's disease right not to mention everything else going on in their life. Starts with diet, starts with exercise, starts with sleep hygiene. All of those things aren't unique to Payne's disease. But every patient that we see, especially in the setting of sexual function and dysfunction, you know, probably has opportunities as do the rest of us, as does everybody. So like I like to have a conversation about that with all my patients, regardless of whether they're having surgery or not. You know, we generally like our patients to have a medical evaluation prior to considering a surgical intervention, just overall health and well being. But as far as penile health, yeah, I just spent some time counseling them about just lifestyle optimization, cardiovascular health and even psycho psychosexual health is another thing that you will make sure our patients all that you know, while yeah, in some ways I feel like, uh, you know, the glorified plumber sometimes, but uh, but we have experts who who can really help them, you know, identify other ways that there their psychological effect can be influencing the outcome we can get with surgery. So I have no no concerns whatsoever. In fact, encourage most patients to think about a psychosexual health EMIL if we have the time and resources to do so.
Speaker 3: H general health equals genital health.
Speaker 2: And just like a good plumber, you can tell people to keep potato peels out of your garbage disposal and prevent a lot of bad things. And so I think are I think keeping French fries to your diet maybe is the same thing new make sure you're startaway from ultra process foods and vacant calories and and that helps. But I love the fact that that you do what you do as as this surgeon, that people are coming literally from all over the world to have you operate them, and you still go with the fundamentals of eat, move, sleep and the mental health aspect of it, because I think a lot of these guys we deal with are emotionally devastated and it's amazing how few, even really high level Peroni thegnicians don't spend enough time at least when we're at these meetings talking about that mental health component. One of the biggest things about the show that we've I think it's evolved organically.
Speaker 3: Jordan, you can chime in.
Speaker 2: But but early on we had a therapist on that talked about the shame factor and men and we Stephen Polter was his name, and he he almost kind of framed a lot of what we talk about. The most of what we have to deal with in men's health deals with the idea of shame and Peroni I think is is target zero for that where you know, if you are used to as you were saying, you know your penis as it was yesterday, and then now you're in Siegelman's office today and it ain't the same penis it was yesterday, it's hard not to carry some shame about what happened, like did I do this to myself?
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 2: Did I do something wrong to get to this level? And we talked about that in a couple of previous episodes about do you know that there is this is a.
Speaker 3: Guilt free condition.
Speaker 2: It just happens like, you don't shame yourself if you get appendicitis. It's not because you had too many holopeno peppers or something. It's just, you know, it just happens and we have to take care of it. So I love that you. I love you hit all those and and so talk to me a little bit then about the physical prep. You know, so good nutrition, great, increase protein, increase your exercise, get your heart pumping. Do you do anything pino specific? I think I just made that word up.
Speaker 4: But I like it. I like it.
Speaker 2: Pinos specific track v D ahead of surgeries. Talk to me, I'm sorry, a vacuum erection device, I should say, or the Austin Powers chamber as we affect it.
Speaker 4: I U use that reference it. Uh, you gotta find your target demographic as far as knowing who's who's seen Austin Powers or not. But what a what a great reference point.
Speaker 3: We do?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean so, I'm a big proponent of mechanical mechanical therapy and that I basically tell patients as part of any treatment protocol, whether it's by itself or in combination with things like interllagional injections, like injections of ziaflex or or pre and or post surgical. I think that there, especially if we're sort of still defining you are you are you ready for surgery, either physically based on our criteria that we've set up for you know, who's a time wise who a good candidate, or just mentally some patients just aren't mentally quite there yet. And that's where mechanical therapy is doing something right. It's active, the patient's involved in it. It gives them time to literally it takes time, right, so it gives them time to focus on their penis, but also to kind of think about why they're doing this, like why are they putting in all this time and effort. And at the end of the day, the outcomes are that most men see enhanced elasticity, so more stretch on the penis. I hopefully that translates into more length. It's not necessarily what you've lost, but improve nonetheless, And lots of men see decrease in their curvature. So if anything, that's priming us to optimize our surgical outcomes, meaning if the curves a little less and we're going to talk about plication, right, maybe that means one less suit dra have to put in. If there's more elasticity, maybe when it's all said and done, their penis is able to stretch, or they're happier with the length, or they have less perceived length loss with the surgery. That's great, And regardless of what surgery we do, I encourage all patients to use traction afterwards. Not everybody takes us up on that, right, I mean, if they're happy with their outcome and they're ready to kind of move on from this awesome right, But for a lot of men who are really looking to optimize not only the straightness of the direction but also size, that's where doing traction post up is a great adjunct. And vacuum's fine too, It's just the data is more pronounced with or is more prominent with traction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, talk to me about the science of attraction a little bit, because I know a lot of this just came out of the Mayo clinic. So tell us about, you know, what's actually happening mechanically. Maybe even explain to Jordan and everybody else out there what attraction device is and because I'm sure everybody's googling it and then I can only imagine what comes up. But it's probably you know, if restauran is good at their SEO, they probably are coming up pretty high up in the liz. But yeah, talk to us about the science of what traction does to the penis.
Speaker 4: So this way oversimplified way to think about it is you're using a mechanical device to stretch the penis, right, and so with traction there's different mechanisms, but basically there's something that holds the head of the penis and then there's something that actually puts the flacid, so the non erect penis on stretch. And if you think about like stretching a muscle, right like I went for on this morning, my calf is tight. I'm going to stretch that calf out if I don't do that every day, and all right, stretch it for a while and it feels great, and then I say, okay, good, I'm done. I'm gonna stop. In a few days, my calf is going to be tight again. So it's kind of one of these things that you have to continue to do, probably definitely to really maintain those benefits. That's not what traction is intended to do. By stretching scar tissue the penis and I e the scar tissues. You're pulling pulling forces on the scar. There's actually good basic science evidence so in the lab where people actually did experiments on human tissue, on scar tissue, and they put that tissue on stretch and looked at the chemical makeup of that in the milieu or the like the environment that would happen in the body, and they found that there's actually structural changes that happened to the tissue. So certain enzymes which are sort of chemically active elements in the body, actually changed the structural makeup of that scar tissue. And to me, the ultimate outcome is more stretch, more elasticity. The scar tissue has more give, it's more appliable, and when somebody has an erection and their tissue is less restricted, they have less curve. Or if the whole area of scar tissue, which oftentimes much of the penis is involved in some degree in scar and loss of stretch, and you're gonna get more length back. It's not going to necessarily create the penis you had before. Not even not necessarily it will not create the penis you had before, but it can be a nice therapy. It's non invasive. You wear this device at home. The device Jesse that you'd recommended or discussed not recommended, that you referenced is the restore X, Right, that's one traction system, but there's others available. But you wear them anywhere from thirty minutes a couple of times a day to several hours depending on the device, for several months, and most men will get some mild but meaningful benefits from that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've described too is if you know, when we wear braces, the braces don't straighten the teeth, The tensile woards remodel the bone around the teeth, and the teeth just kind of fall into place. And I think that kind of works a little bit for what's happened. I think you talked about this this fiber blast cascade that kicks in and allows a little bit more elasticity back to the healthy tissue around. Sometimes that's score unless you're doing something to the scar, which of course the combination of of interlegional therapy, which we had a whole discussion on earlier as well with with zieflex or some of the other non FT APPROOFD therapies. The idea is if you disrupt the scar, then you put a guy essentially in a splint. But it's you know, you can't really walk around with attraction device on. Although I had a guy try to get through TSA once with this years ago, and that turns out that that that went off, Like the TSA works as much as a much much as they say people are are wasting their time. Here's a guy walking through uh at traction with attraction device. He comes to my office, puts it on, and then goes back to wherever he comes from. And yeah, they actually pulled him out of line for that. So I don't recommend good to know that we are faster work exactly right, But but yeah, I mean it is something that you can wear. You can, but you can also overdo it too. Just for everybody listening out there, an hour is recommended. There is something called neuropraxia, which we've talked about in relation to prostate nerves and interrectile dysfunction, and neuropraxy can happen to the penis too. If if you go to sleep with these devices on, for example, that's a little bit not recommended because if you wake up in the morning and you have stretched those nerves on the door, some of the top aspect of the penis, you can get a little pen out numbnus.
Speaker 3: So sometimes too much is actually too much.
Speaker 2: And we was to put those guardrails on for our overly enthusiastic guys out there.
Speaker 3: They're going to run out and buy it.
Speaker 4: No, I think that's important because you know, the at least for the rhetorex like, one of the main outcomes for the initial study the randomized trial was safety. Right, patient said, can I wear this longer than thirty minutes at a time? And I say, from an efficacy and safety standpoint, I think thirty minutes is the key, those the max and then you take it off for a little bit and you give your penis arrest.
Speaker 3: There you go. That's right, all right, So let's hit this.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about now what surgeries are out there, who's a candidate for which one? And so kind of uh now, now pretend like I'm a fifty five year old guy in your office with with penal curvature, and then talk me through what are what are my surgical options? And and do I get to decide is it like a menu or or is there is there one kind of form of pernis that is better for one kind of surgery. So walk us through what my options are, Professor Ziegelman.
Speaker 4: Do we do we have like two or three hours?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right, we have too our sponsors would love it.
Speaker 4: So so generally there are three, I mean, there are three kind of main mainstay approaches to Peroni's disease surgery, and I talk about these with all patients. There's a various forms of penal application, and the idea there is that you're you're essentially going to the opposite side of the curvature and you're using techniques, whether it's permanent or long acting sutures, or whether it's bringing tissue together, regardless, you're using techniques to basically restrict alongside from stretching to mimic what's happening on the side where the scar tissue is. In essence, you're shortening the erect the long side of the erect penis to account for the fact that scar tissue shortens the short side of the erect penis. It is a very reliable means. I mean, when we bring patients to the o R, we can get the penis within a few degrees of aerow straight in the operating room, and you know, the studies suggests, and I would say my experience plays us out that the long term success rates are excellent as far as maintaining that level of straightness. Now, just having a straight penis is not patient satisfaction in the long term for everybody, but that is if that's the goal, is to get the penis, you know, within a few degrees of straight as an arrow, and maintain that level of straightness, it's an excellent option. I will tell you that many patients have a little bit of a hard time with the idea that we're intentionally going in and shortening the long side of the penis and leaving that scar tissue alone. But at the end of the day, from an efficacy standpoint, it's an excellent option. So from getting the penis straight, it's a great option. Trade offs there, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, al Morey's another legend in our field. He had a great line that I use, I think with every patient, which is that what we're doing is we're expanding the functional length of your penis because if you have if you have a severe curvature, you're an unable to engage in penetrative intercourse. Placation will allow you to engage and penetrative intercourse, so your functional and the functionality and the functional length is better. But there's no question that even if we do all kinds of relaxing incisions and techniques which which are reasonable to ask, you're certain if they do at the end of the day, that's exactly right. I mean, the physics or the geometry of this r too, is that you got to shorten the longside in order to get a straight penis. That's just a pythagorous at work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think when I've talked about it with land In Trust, another prominent member of our field. You know volume loss right, Like there's from a physics perspective where we're decreasing the volume of the erect penis regardless of the you know, it's hard, it's hard to measure an erection when it's curved like, so the true length of the erection. That's I don't never quote patients how much I'm going to shorten there, how much they're going to perceive their penis to be shortened, just because I don't. Their reference point is also the straight erection they had before this all started. Like entally, that's where your mind is going to go. It's going to go back to the last time I saw my penis straight, and that's a different penis, yep.
Speaker 3: Setting expectations. Yeah, all right, so placation.
Speaker 4: And application, and the other thing to just throw out there is that there are some men who have mild curvature but are bothered by narrowly right, So they've got their hour glass where the essentially circumferentially the penis is narrowed, or maybe one side is narrow and we call that indentation. And you can actually take a piece oftentimes using cadaver tissue, either human or some type of animal product, and actually molding it into those narrative areas. So from a visual perspective, we can restore the more of a natural circumference of the erection, so we can do that plaication surgery and then still still make the penis look a bit more consistent and quote unquote normal. So that's a nice option.
Speaker 2: I've been doing a lot of those too, I think you know, over the last few years, especially now that they're a little more cost effective options surgically to do what we call extra tunical grafting and the durability. I'm always surprised at how durable it is. But you know, I think what happens even after the graft is somewhat reabsorbed, it you just get this cylind You still maintain a lot of that cylindrical shape and help with that volume loss. It's not correct volume loss, but it is cosmetically volume loss. And yeah, it looks it's so much a nicer, more elegant outcome than the classic kind of puckering you get with a placating future. So so yeah, I'm I'm a big believer in extra tunical grafting with location as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The other sort of the next line as far as surgical intervention is either we call plaque incision or partial plaque excision, but it's basically going directly to the scar tissue and either making a full thickness cut through the scar or in some instances, for example, if you have calcium really get some people actually have chunks of essentially like bone in their penis, well we'll cut out a segment of the scar. Always patients, it's partial excision. We're not going in that the intention of removing all of the scar that you feel necessarily, we're going into straighten the penis. But the the idea there is you're releasing that restricted area as opposed to going to the opposite side and restricting it, so you're actually going to the point of the problem, which which you know, on paper always sounds like the nice option to do. The challenge comes in one the intricacy of the surgery that goes back all the way to the start of our conversation. I mean, that is a that is a case where you know, there's not that many of us, you and I and a few others who do a lot of these, and even then, I mean, what defines a lot is is somewhat variable, but the it's a it's a it's a challenging operation as far as just carrying out, but I think the more challenging part is just just mitigating the side effect. And those side effects, Yeah, the side effects with that surgery are neuropraxia. So it changes in penile sensation long term, and that's because especially for upward and side to side curves, there there's a tissue layer called the neuro vascular bundle, which essentially has the sensory nerves that supply sensation to the predominantly to the head of the penis and to get to the scar tissue which sits several layers deep, which I have to dissect tedious dissection lift those nerves up and off of the scar, which can be very challenging, especially if they've had other treatments like xyoplets for example. And you know, even in very experienced hands, when you're manipulating those nerves, there's going to be some tension on the tissue, et cetera. And so not everybody recovers full sensation or there's a risk of some sensation loss. Now, in you know, longer term studies which I would say are you know, defined as a year or greater, that risk is generally low, Like most studies, it's less than ten percent. I think in experienced hands is probably less than five percent. But it's not zero. It's not zero, and certainly we have patients who experience that. So that's one side effect to me. The more the bigger concern is rectile dysfunction after surgery. So there's a mechanism that allows your penis to trap blood during interaction. It's called the venal inclusive mechanism. I describe it as these microscopic veins that sit at the interface between where that scar tissue is and the blood filled the cavernosil body underneath the space that fills with blood during interaction, and those veins as the penis fills with blood, get compressed and they basically block the outflow that allows penis to maintain blood. And when you cut that scar and maintain the rigidity as the blood stays in the penis. When you cut that scar, I mean we're violating that mechanism. There's no way around that, right. We are injuring that mechanism where the scar tissue is located, and we do so in a piece of material, again usually a cadaver tissue into that area, which is supposed to be a scaffolding to allow the bodies normal tissue to grow in and recover that mechanism, but it doesn't always do that, and so there is a risk of rectile dysfunction after that surgery meaning soft directions meaning I didn't need pills before like viagrant siallis, and now I do, or meaning I didn't need pills before now viagran and cialis don't work, and I'm needing injections to help induce in direction, or I'm needing a surgery called a penole implant to allow my penis enough rigidity for intimacy. And so we've had patients where they've had excellent rigidity before surgery and unfortunately needed a penole implant after surgery. So we get their penis nice and straight and optimize the size, but again they're not maintaining rigidity at home, even with pills, then we have to bring them onto the next step. So that's that's a really tough outcome and it's one that thankfully is not the norm if we select the right patient for the right surgery, but it's one that I want all my patients to know as a possibility. And so I would talk through these options with them to say, you know, what if that happens to you, what would you do if if you're if if pills didn't work, would you think about injections? Would you think about an implant? If if the answer is no, no, no, that's not for me. That's not for me, I'm going to try to encourage them to think strongly about application, because yeah, we're you know, they may perceive their penis to be a bit shorter, but the surgery didn't in most instances, cause them to be non functional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I think of it. No, I think that's that's a key point. And there's a little bit you know of longitudinal data. Jerry Brock I think, has a really long study, since he's a couple years older than we are, and looking at the long term durability of black excision and grafting, and and it always is. The thing that kind of puts guys over the edge is when they lose a rectile function. And most of the time, thankfully in good hands, you're not talking about year one or year two, but by year five, year ten, you know, almost one hundred percent of guys after a black excision graph they've got ten years under their belt. Maybe they've developed worse cholesterol, maybe they've developed worse diabetes, worse blood pressure. But also, as you say, just the anatomy we fundamentally alter. At some point these guys are going to need that secondary surgery, which will be what you're probably going to talk about next. And I think that's critical. I love how you couch that, and I want people to think about that when they're having a consultation with a perni surgeon. Is what are you willing to do if this doesn't work. And I think that's brilliant what you just said, Matt, because I'm going to use that. I think it's fantastic, because I think we you know, we're doing this three sometimes I can take up to four hours to do one of these black excisions and graph surgeries. And you put all this into your heart and soul goes into it as a surgeon, and you only want the best outcome from your patient. And you know, six months, a year from now, if they still are having issues, you've got to go back to the conversation you had before you both went down that road together. And there's an old saying in surgery the last two people that want a second operation or the surgeon and the patient. You know, we we're not anymore or any less invested in your outcomes, especially if you go to a really good, high volume, conscientious surgeon. We want as good an outcome as the patient. And sometimes a PEG or a Plack decision graph or incision and graph. No matter what we do, we still are going to have work to do at the end of that three or four hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I totally agree with it, and I mean it is you develop a real relationship with these with these patients, and it's a longitudinal relationship. Like I tell them, we're in this together. But you're right, I mean, when you know, when we get that great outcome, which thankfully we get great outcomes with these surgeries, I certainly don't want to overemphasize the potential side effects. We get great outcomes, otherwise it wouldn't to be doing these, but it is. It is, you know, it's one we're all invested in, and the whole team is invested. And I think if you're if your surgeon isn't invested in that way, then probably you know a scenario where you want to find someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah you do.
Speaker 2: And I think that's the other thing is that that you mentioned it. But there aren't a lot of us doing a high volume number of plaque incision or plaque excision and grafting, and and it is because it's it's it's something you really have to either have incredible experience early in your career or have a Fellowship train background to do it, and and then to just keep keep up your reps to make sure you're able to elevate the neurovaskar the bundle well every time reliably and then uh, and then also what to do you know when you put that graft in and you still may have some other vascular work to do to get the guy perfect. I like how you how you put that, is that you want that that high volume, So talk to me. Then you mentioned it earlier, but I would say first of all to kind of sum up plaque excision graft is high. Good velocities are good. Pre pre surgical erectile function is one of the things that you need. Uh, maybe severely calcified graft where you can excize as much of that calcium but leave as much healthy tunica what we call tunicle sparing. Plaque incision excision grafting all good candidates. And if if a guy comes to you as a calcified plaque is only getting some degree of an erection with injection, has a curvature, say of fifty degrees sixty degrees, and he already has some baseline erectile dysfunction, talk to me about what you would do for that guy.
Speaker 3: Or and I don't mean to lead the surgeon here, but give me give me this.
Speaker 2: Talk to me about what you're going to do with the with already baseline erectile dysfunction, severe calcification deformity. Let's let's walk through those scenarios.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, And also, I mean that's you know, fifty degrees is and that's measure assuming we measure that in the office, is probably a bit of an underestimation to write. Many of these patients don't get quite quite the rigidity that they see at home or that they would with a full erection. So you know, that's one of us. That's a challenging scenario because you know, what we're going to be talking about here is is potentially a very definitive but also invasive surgery that's going to kind of be a big step. And the idea here is that this patient has a calcified scar, which we can go ahead and excize, we can cut that scar out, but also it's baseline erectile dysfunction, and that patient has no wiggle room, meaning if his erections are a little bit affected rigidity wise by the surgery to remove the scar, he's gonna he's going to be you know, he's going to have complete d he's going to correct correct, So he's got no you know, he's already on max dos PD five inhibitors ci allis viagra. I mean, we don't have any opportunity to, you know, to try those non invasive options, so then we're moving on to something more invasive. Right from the get go, there's a high likelihood that we're going to need something more and so that's a man I'm going to talk about something called a penal implant as part of the surgical treatment. Penal implant is a device that we place inside the erectile bodies that has the ability to essentially expand that space in the same way that blood would fill the space and create a strong, rigid erection that men can maintain as long as they want, whenever they want, without impacting their ability to urinate, to still should be able to achieve climax and ejaculation, et cetera. So it's really designed to provide on demand rigidity. There's another component called a pump, which replaced in the scrotum, and then a third component called the reservoir, which you can think of like a balloon, and that usually gets tucked behind the pubic boner under the abdominal muscle. And the whole ideas that you're you put fluid in the system and that fluid gets transferred into the penal tissues or into the you know, cylinders, creates that rigid direction. Obviously, these guys don't want to be walking around with a direction all day, most of them, at least maybe maybe North Dakota. Yeah, but the end of the they for those guys here, yeah, they move. There's a way to move that fluid into the water, you know, the sack the reservoir so that they can have more of a flaccid appearance. So that treats a rectile dysfunctioned very reliably. But if we're doing that surgery, we we also will address the curvature, we'll address the narrow and we'll adjust the calcified scar and then all those things that we were going to introduce as side or the main thing that we're going to introduce as a side effect, i e. Erectile dysfunction, we're now addressing. So you can do both of those at the same time. You can do that grafting surgery and know that I'm treating the ed that this surgery is likely exacerbating. It is a definitive treatment for erectile dysfunction and Payeronius disease, which many patients have simultaneously. Even for those men with less severe curves where you aren't or non calcified scar and you're not anticipating needing to do that plaque incision or excision, you can do the plycation where you put the future in. You can do something else called modeling, which is basically putting the device in and aggressively bending the penis opposite the direction of the curve, which can actually stretch and release some of those fibrous bands in the scar and correct the curvature. So there are opportunities. And if you have somebody a surgeon who does a lot of Perone's disease, they're going to have all of those tools in their tool belt to address the curvature during the penile implant surgery if needed, to get you, to get you a great outcome with respect to both the Erechtel dysfunction and the Parone's disease.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's a great abstract. I can't remember. Maybe you remember at our last meeting just a couple months ago in DC on over dilation to help address that. You know, so most of the time, and this is super technical Jordan here jargon Jordan. But the Essentially, the idea is that when we put in penyle implants, we have to stretch out that tissue with with something called dilators, and there's a bunch of different ones, and we typically most of us that do a lot of penil implants go up to maybe twelve number twelve dilator.
Speaker 3: But if you go up a little bit.
Speaker 2: More, you can actually manually manipulate that scar tissue and break up some of those bands. So it's almost like pre modeling because the cylinders himself act as it beams. If you put in a rigid enough cylinder that can really hydraulically fill up to the twenty five plus to thirty psi even if you really really pump. But I think that's interesting too, is this aggressive dilation. Because you're right, and if you do a plaque excision in graph and an implant in the same day. First of all, it's a long surgery. We know that the complications are accumulative with that, but man, what a home run operation if you can, if you can do it in the right candidates, that's super healthy. Definitely, I would never consider anybody that has uncontrolled diabetes, hypertension, anything that could affect wound healing, history of radiation therapy to the pelvis. But the ideal candidate that has just isolated severe peyronies and erectile disfunction but otherwise is healthy. That that is your your perfect candidate to try to do both at once. But yeah, there's so many other maneuvers that we can do short of doing that that black excision graph plus IPP at the same time. But yeah, that is kind of like oof, that's in that's our that's our twelve point bucket. You'll have to be able to do that on the same day.
Speaker 4: It is a I mean that it is a significant recovery, like for g I mean just a plaque incision or plaque excision and graft those guys from I mean there's a lot of healing that happens in the penis during the first several months, but impact on their day to day life usually about a couple of weeks. They're like rocking and rolling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good point.
Speaker 4: But in a pen l implant, Yeah, some of those guys can be extremely sore for you know, two to four weeks and there's definitely a there's a lot swelling and there's a recovery there. But if you come bine those two. I just always emphasize it that's it's gonna be a rough six weeks, we're gonna get you there. But it's it's a it's a big, much bigger recovery. To do the two together. It's oftentimes the right thing to do in the in the right patient, but there's there's also it's also a reason that if somebody is saying, I really want to do the grafting surgery, and I understand that I may not be the ideal candidate, but I want to see if I'm in that fifty percent who's going to maintain my rectile function for several more years, and I'll think about it down the line, or if in six months I need it. I mean, there are you know, there is that's two surgeries, but the recovery cumulative is probably still easier on that person than the two together. And so I certainly I've done that and have had conversations with patients about that. Larry Levine had a paper I don't know if it's if it's out yet, but it was accepted for discussing No no, this one's a couple of years old now, but it was describing patients who he recommended do an implant, but they decided to go with a graft after appropriate counseling, and it was about a fifty eight percent risk of rectile dysfunction that was essentially a refractory to oral medication, so higher than we would expect in a standard population of men with good rectile function, But fifty to fifty some guys who are really trying to divide that implant, they may still be willing to take those odds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that stage procedure.
Speaker 2: It also gives guys a chance to do traction and potentially end up if you stage it. Even if it's staging by one to two years, Like you said, fifty percent of those guys were able to get erections with maybe injections, pills, traction that you might be able to come back and put in a better implant than you could at the same time. So I think that's a really nice stutter step and another very nuanced aspect of our counseling. So we have this section, Professor Ziegelmann, we do pretty much every time called you're probably going to be okay, and once somebody is going to actually say, actually, no, you're not going to be.
Speaker 3: Okay, but to date today.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's because I phrased the question with the case scenario where we leave our audience with hope and the future of a better day. But let me go through this case scenario. A fifty five year old guy, because you're probably going to see this in your office in this week, maybe two or three times comes into you. He had zyaflex, which is the intra regional collagen. As we had a whole episode on about maybe he started with a seventy degree curvature dorsal, meaning up towards his belly button curve, really difficult having intercourse. He had some calcifications within the plaque, but still was able to get about a fifty, well twenty degree improvement. So he's left with fifty degree dorsal, has really good rigid erections.
Speaker 3: Otherwise super healthy.
Speaker 2: He's a triathlete and fantastic shape, no diabetes, good blood pressure, still has fifty degrees. After this, he also noticed some length loss and maybe his eyeflex in traction helped get him back a centimeters or so. But he's very very conscious about his length and his penal dysmorphism where he just never could look at his penis the same way again. So he's so bothered by this that that's very difficult for him to even think about intercourse again. Even though he had you know, a reasonable expectated or expection improvement with zyoflex, he still has a curvature. What are you going to do for this guy? And is he going to be okay? Are you going to like, hey, let's do some more zyaflex. You got a little bit of an improvement. Maybe I have a better technique than where you came from. Tell me about this guy. Now, he's been at this for now for almost two years in this journey, and you know, almost six months of that was an act of therapy with zyaflex.
Speaker 3: He wants an answer.
Speaker 2: He's coming all the way to Rochester for you to take care of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say the jet I'm not gonna I'm not going to buck the trend here. Yes you are going to be okay? Yeah, there we go. No, there's I still think this this is Yeah. We see patients with a similar experience all the time, severe curvature to start wanting to try something non surgical upfront, which I think is very appropriate, and had some response to that treatment. But still bothered by the residual curve. And that's that's actually a challenging in some ways because you're going you you you prove to us that you're a responder to ziaflex. So there's nothing you know, you've you've had your eight injections, but there's nothing to say that that. I had no data that I know of that says you're you're not going to continue to have some incremental response if we and in fact, I think there is data I think even your experience. Yeah, yeah, that says you can continue to have an incremental response with additional zioflex. So if somebody is looking to you know, minimize the potential side effect risk of surgical interventions was okay. Did find in the recovery it wasn't too impactful on his life as far as the coming in and back and forth to the clinic, doing the stretching, et cetera. I would absolutely consider that person a candidate to continue on with another you know, cycle series, full treatment course of zyaflex, knowing that at any point we can you know, cut bait. One of the challenges it's just making sure that we get insurance approval for that. But you know, all the things created equal, that'd be very appropriate. That being said, if they've gone through the ziaflex, they're ready to move on to a surgical treatment. This this is where that expectation setting comes in those patients who are really bothered by their loss of penal length. Just emphasizing what is the goal with surgery, right, It's function over fashion, It's restoring the or impress should say, improving intimacy by enhancing sexual function by straightening the penis and so yes with for example, plaque incision. In a setting like this, in theory, we're releasing the restricted area. The reason that men perceive and actually lose length on the direction is a lot more complicated than just that one area where the scar tissue is causing the curature. So I think I really spend a lot of time with these in the setting emphasizing what the goals of surgery are and that most men, at least in my experience, are not perceiving their penis to be longer after that surgery. They may actually still perceive their penis to be shorter again because of that perception versus reality. You know, what was the baseline of rectile length before the self started versus you know, after we're done, et cetera. But ultimately that patient may be goodcademies healthy, he's got still residual modern to severe curvature. If he understands the risk, benefits and alternatives, I'd be I would consider him a candidate for incision and grafting. That being said, I would also talk about placation and really emphasize the functional improvements that can be had with straightening the penis and the trade offs as far as side effect profile and the you know, potential ed risk, et cetera. Because this is a guy where you know, if you do if he is, you know, if he does develop D like that could be a lot more devastating than perceiving a little bit of extracise loss. So it's just setting expectations. But ultimately this is shared decision making, right. I'm not going to talk this patient and this is a great candidate for any of those treatment options, and I'm not going to try to talk him in, and I don't want him to perceive that I'm talking him into any therapy. I'm going to offer you the best outcome we can with any of these options. Answer.
Speaker 2: Sorry for that, beautiful, I believe that you've for the reason that that you know you you could he would be a candid for all of that with excellent decision making, and he had to wrap up. What you were saying is that we looked at this years ago, I think is around twenty nineteen we published this, but it's you know, guys that do well with the eight the eight injections. About eighty percent of guys at least in our experience, had a very satisfactory outcome with that. So the twenty percent of guys that we looked at for second round, and that numbers actually migrated up is around twenty three percent now, but still you know, twenty say percent of guys had about a twenty degree improvement, which is lower than what the impressed trials would say, which which was what got FDA approval for Ziefflex about thirty four to thirty five percent. So we had some recalcitrant plaques I call them, that that would go on to a second round. So of those twenty percent that didn't get a great outcome with that first round of Eyefflix, by the time we did two rounds or a fraction of two rounds, so somewhere between twelve and sixteen injections, they developed about a fi fifty percent improvement. And so you're right, this guy if we went from seventy down to fifty, but then if we went fifty to twenty five, he all of a sudden has the curvature that would most guys would be easily about that penetrator and intercourse. And so that's why we did this whole thing on surgery. And then I had you come up with a case scenario where he might be okay with just perseverance and and another potential other around his eyeflex. But yeah, guy's also like, look, you know what, I don't have the time for this. Then you could start talking, because I've certainly had guys that you're just like, I don't love getting injections, and you know, it's cumbersome and it's uncomfortable. And if you can do a surgery where I can get in and out of your oar in an hour or three, then then let's talk about that now, Professor Zieglmann. So so that's exactly why I so you're going to be okay. I mean, that's the most important thing with anything peronis related is we're going to find a way to get back your functionality. So we have to close always with this question that I ask all of my guys, and you already mentioned it today.
Speaker 3: Already.
Speaker 2: It's a couple hours later in Minnesota than it is in Santa Monica, so you already went up for your run for the day. But without leading you again, what is it that you do every day? Because you're a dad, you're a husband. I mean, you have so many things in your life to make you show up every day as well as you can tell me, tell me the hit list, and make Professor Ziegelman the dude he is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's a wonderful question. Actually, you you prompted me about this a couple of days ago, so I had some time to think too. Sorry if I'm giving away it's yeah. So I every every morning, uh, you know, unless there's some very extenuating circumstances, I try to get up and do self care and for me that's usually cardio. At cardio, uh, I do either run or bike. And being in Minnesota, you can imagine in the winter, a lot of that is indoors. Yeah, but you know what, one of my other loves is TV and movies, and so I can get through uh TV show and or a couple of movies a week doing some indoor you know, running and cycling, which is great, so it gets to be ready for the day. Yeah, yeah, exactly. I do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Love yeah, I love on a treadmill watch in a series, and it makes makes the pain and the TDM so better.
Speaker 4: Totally.
Speaker 2: I get to run outside all the time here. But but I, but I don't get that same level of habit stacking. Although I listened to books on tape when I run, so it kind of helps. But say I just have books on tape. Jordan's help me. Can you fix that? And say audio books?
Speaker 4: That's still call the books on tape.
Speaker 3: Well, if we all talk about Austin powers were men.
Speaker 4: I still have a I still have a CD player. You know, I still.
Speaker 3: Can't Jordan and I swap eight tracks. It's pretty good, real, real, Jordan, you've been so quiet. I I want to get doctor r.
Speaker 2: Ziglemann off of his days, since he delivered so famously on the mail Room. But any closes thoughts about questions, You maintain your color throughout an entire surgical discussion about disassembling and reassembling penises, So congratulations.
Speaker 4: Than we have the pictures. We have pictures.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, Yes, I mean sent me the deck through the email. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 5: Think the only question I had and this was you answered a lot of my physiological questions. And I had a couple of psychological questions that maybe we could say for another day, but just this kept popping back into my head. The uh implant you said was I think the phrases use was sort of on demand rigidity that would fill with with saline or whatever the fluid is.
Speaker 3: How is that triggered?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I wish it was on an app on your phone up here, but someday, someday. That's what we've been hearing. It's called a pump, and it's put in your scrotum, so your scrotum is like your sack, right, and it's put it between the testicles, either in front or behind, depending on and you actually the guy learns to squeeze the pump, so it's like it kind of almost feels in some men like a like a firm third testicle, Not really, but I mean, and then you squeeze that and that actually generates generates the fluid transfer from that reservoir, the little water balloon behind the pubic bone up into the penis.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's magic.
Speaker 2: We're going to have a whole series on pen l implants, so yeah, good, awesome, good foreshadowing for that. But it is truly a revolutionary device. It's you know, relatively new. It's only been out since about nineteen seventy two, so so yeah, we got some learning to do their young, young Jordan.
Speaker 5: I don't know anything past Vinyl, so any technology past nineteen seventy I'm excited.
Speaker 2: We got your brother, we got you. Well, Matt, thank you so much for coming on the mailroom. This has been great. You've definitely entertained as well as educated our audience, and I hope you continue to do the amazing work you're doing for guys every were with your with your career, which again to chief professor level at your young age is truly an accomplishment. So I want to shout that out that that's that's truly remarkable work and dedication to your craft. So congrats, and then maintaining your cardio through the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I appreciate it. Yeah, well, thank you, this has been This has been great. Nerding out on Pironi surgery. Yeah, it's nothing better on the Monday.
Speaker 2: That's right, We're doing it, all right, all right, Well we'll see at the next meeting. Have a great summer, and thanks again for dedicating an hour of your time to help guys everywhere.
Speaker 3: All right, Thank you, Jordan. We nailed it. Another one for the books.
Speaker 4: We got it. You delivered on the mail room of my friends.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Cool. Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about him a man, Let's talk of a Malom's Talk about.
Speaker 5: The mail Room with Doctor Jesse Mills was a production of iHeartRadio. It was executive produced by Jordan Runtogg. It was edited, mixed, and mastered by Beheid Fraser, and the theme was provided by long Transit. If you like what you heard, please subscribe and leave a review. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. This program is intended for educational and informational purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult your healthcare provider for any medical or other related questions or concerns. The views and discussions aired on this podcast or those of doctor Mills, and do not represent the official positions of UCLA or UCLA Health