Speaker 1: At Capella University. You can learn at your own pace with our Flexpath learning format. Take one or two courses at a time and complete as many as you can in a twelve week billing session. With Flexpath, you can even finish the bachelor's degree you started in twenty two months for twenty thousand dollars. A different future is closer than you think with Capella University. Learn more at Capella dot Edu Fastest twenty five percent of students. Cost varies by pace, transfer credits, and other factors, fee supply.
Speaker 2: Hello, everybody, Welcome into the cycle.
Speaker 3: I am Ryan Warmley, joined as always but not last week by Mike Mayor. I am back after my week off Mayor. As you know, I was traveling first some family stuff, so I appreciate you stepping into the host chair for me, And of course we're bringing on Kelly in my stead, who is way smarter about Fantasy Baseball than I will ever be.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I am happy to have you back because you're a better host than I will ever be, So I'm sure the audience will agree that they're happy to have you back as a host, and they don't have to hear me try my best anymore.
Speaker 3: I will say as I was just trying to be deferential to Kelly, not trying. I genuinely believe she's very, very smart. Obviously in the only league she and I are in together, which is the Roto League, Dan Harris's league, I currently am sitting on eighty two points. She is currently sitting, I believe on the thirty six points.
Speaker 2: Mayor where are you?
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, if you scrolling the bottle, you'll see me. That team might be the worst team I've ever had.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: And I look at the roster and I'm like, this roster isn't bad. And I've already my hitting was so bad that I had like pitching surplus, and I already flipped a bunch of that pitching for hitting, and now my hitting and pitching are both bad, and I'm just like, it's unbelievably like I'm anxious about how bad that team is.
Speaker 2: It's pretty poor.
Speaker 3: I'm making a good first impression my first year in that league, and it's nice to see you sitting there at the bottom. Yeah, we're gonna dive into the show at some point. We're gonna do a little segment here and round in the bases where and I like to do this whenever I'm not only out, you know, missing a week, but like truly i'm like pretty much off the gride and not watching baseball for a few days. I like to come back and have you kind of fill me in on what I missed over the last week. I did attend a couple of baseball games in Baltimore with my family, So those were the only games that I watched pretty much in the last week while I was while I was out and about. So we will get into that a little bit later on in the segment.
Speaker 2: We're gonna start off.
Speaker 3: And round of the bases kind of just from some more immediate news, which was yesterday as I was putting this together, we had not one, but two very good starting pitchers get hurt. I kind of labeled the segment just more injured pitchers, because it feels like it's been never ending for a lot of this season. Kind of different circumstances for these two. Was Hunter Green, of course, and Dylan He's pitched very well, and then he came out and then I was seeing on Twitter, you know, as you know, an apparent injury kind of after the no hitter was broken up. I didn't see a follow up to that. So if there is kind of additional news about what exactly that was, Mary, you can fill us in.
Speaker 2: Hunter Green. It was a groin issue.
Speaker 3: He left after three very strong innings on Wednesday night, and obviously Green is somebody we have talked about a lot. I planted a flag on him as being a great value this year. He looked like the best call I made, and all of Spring Trading was being very in on him. You were still a little hesitant because of the injury concerned, of course, a growing issue, maybe not the type of injury you were thinking about. Let's start with Green because I think kind of the more concerning given the way he left the game and just how good he's been so far this year, do you I mean, we just saw Cole Reagan's have a groin issue and come back and look very good against the White Sox. So it's not like this is a death Noell. But what was your kind of reaction watching what happened to Green?
Speaker 5: Well, my first reaction was I just saw it come across. He left with an injury, and I was like, oh God, like this is what we were worried about. You know, he's sitting there throwing a hundred and one hundred two and it finally happened his arm off, and then you kind of see that it's a groin injury and injury and you're like, all right, well, at least it's not his right arm. You know, they could be you know, I would prefer like just cramps or something, but if it has to be an injury, like you said, like coul Reagan's just came back from a groin injury.
Speaker 6: It doesn't sound like they're too concerned about it. He was just.
Speaker 5: Warming up and I guess he threw two warm up pitches and was like basically just called out the trainers and was like, I don't feel right. You know, he felt a little tight on his first warm up throw, which I saw someone say that, like his first warm up throw was always like on the softer side, and like the second warm up throw is when he like starts throwing a little bit harder, and his second warm up throw was also soft. And then I think that's like when the catcher, one of the trainers, was like okay, like something's wrong here, and he immediately like called him out as we're recording this here today on Thursday. I believe he's getting an MRI today to see if there's, you know, what the extent of the damage is. He said he wasn't really sure. He didn't have like injury like this before. He didn't really know what to expect, and then the manager turned Francona didn't expect bad news. So it sounds like fingers crossed, but they're optimistic it's not a major issue there.
Speaker 3: Obviously, since we, you know, only record this show once a week, we won't be able to be on top of the twist and turns. Everybody should check out leading off live every day, so hopefully they can be more immediate with their reactions whenever we get kind of fallout from whatever that MRI ends up showing. Hunter Green obviously been you know, one of, if not the best pitcher in baseball this season, so we will certainly be keeping a very close eye on that. He's actually been a real reason why I'm doing well in that league. We were talking about where I'm in Darren Harris's league, So I'm certainly hoping, and I know everybody is, that he ends up being okay.
Speaker 2: And then Dylan Cees.
Speaker 3: Was there a kind of a follow up to this that you saw this morning that I missed in terms of him leaving, Like I said, I know, it was kind of listed as like an apparent injury. He did pitch well and got deeper into the game than Green did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there were two kind of follow ups, and one very concerning and the other one not concerning at all. So the first thing I saw come across was that it was a forearm injury. And then you know, as I always say, your forearm is connected to your Tommy John and so that's not great. But then it turned out to it was just cramps. So they're like, not that worried, just a forearm cramp. Obviously you don't want anything happening to that forearm. You're hoping that's not like assigned by anything else. But if you have to leave with an injury, cramps are the one that you want to leave with because if it's just like a hydration temporary issue, unless you have like chronic cramps, like that's best case scenario. So it sounds like they're gonna play it by year. Like the next couple of days, he how a bullpen goes and like he should be fine.
Speaker 6: Maybe what do you.
Speaker 3: Make of season in general, just while we're on the topic, if we're if we're largely unconcerned about, you know, the injury stuff. He hasn't been, you know, the type of guy you were hoping you were drafting when you got him. In fact, this was you know, this or that early start against Cleveland are pretty clearly his two best starts of the season. Every other start has been between mediocre to downright bad. You know, he's sitting here, is eras four ninety.
Speaker 2: One, his whips won forty one.
Speaker 3: You know, he's he's striking out, you know, more than a batter and inning.
Speaker 2: So you are still getting that which you knew you were getting from him.
Speaker 3: But nothing else really looks all that, you know, appealing in terms of what we've actually seen. But he was very good obviously against the Yankees in New York last night prior to this cramp issue. So do you see that as like a sign of a turnaround and he's kind of getting it all back together. Are you largely concerned long term from the on field performance perspective?
Speaker 6: I think this is part of just the Dylan cease experience.
Speaker 5: I think it's just a roller coroaster and you're gonna I wrote him up a couple of weeks ago as a buy low, and I just think, like, you're gonna have some ups, you're gonna have some downs, and when the dust settles, you're gonna have a mid threes ZRA and two undred plus strikeouts as long as it stays healthy. And so I think that's what's gonna happen. Agin Even right now is is Eri is sitting at four nine one, not great, but all his expected his FIP is three point three four. That's lower than last year's ra of three point four to seven. X FIP three seven seven, sierra three six five x e A four point zero two. So all of those number expected numbers significally better. Like you said, strikeout rate still pretty similar, whip obviously much higher than you want it to be.
Speaker 6: But I think or a long haul he should be fine.
Speaker 3: We'll get to one of those hitters that was in the game last night against the Padres. But first you train hard, you show up, but lately something feels off. Fatigue lingers, recovery takes longer, and your performance isn't where it used to be. These might be signs of low testosterone, a condition affecting about thirty percent of adult men in America. Kaisa treks A is an FDA approved testosterone replacement therapy designed for men like you. It's not an injection, and it's not a gel. It's a twice daily pill that fits seamlessly into your active lifestyle, helping restore your testosterone to optimal levels. Don't let low t hold you back. Visit kisatrecks dot com to learn more and find a provider near you who can help you get started. That's kyz at r ex dot com. By prescription only, kaisatrecs as a controlled substance, can be a target of abuse. Kaisatrex is not for use in pregnant women or men with prostrate or breast cancer. Safety and efficacy in those younger than eighteen is not known. Tell your doctor about all medical conditions and medication. Serious side effects could include increased blood pressure, worsening prostatesymptoms, increase risk of prostate cancer, blood clots in the legs or lungs, decreased sperm count, liver problems in larger or painful breasts, and breathing problems while you sleep. Common side effects include swelling, of the ankle's feet or body, increased red blood cell count, and increase in prostates specific antigen or PSA levels. PSA is a test used to detect prostate cancer. Report these symptoms to your doctor. Call your doctor. To learn more about Kaisa Trecks. For questions or more information, visit www dot kisatrex dot com or call one eight three three nine four nine five zero four zero.
Speaker 6: Low's nose.
Speaker 7: A thriving yard starts with quality care right now. Get Miracle Growth three quarter cubic foot all purpose garden soil for just two dollars was four dollars and fifty eight cents plus get a free Select Ego fifty six volt trimmer or blower with the purchase of a Select Ego fifty six volt mower. The best yard starts with the best deals. Lows we help you say valid through five fourteen excludes Alaska Hawaii. Selection varies by location while supplies last.
Speaker 4: You're not just chasing a win, You're chasing greatness, and greatness isn't just about the grind. It's about your own's personal style and the mindset to take it to the next level. Shop your local Nike store where you can find everything from the season's hottest drops. It's exclusive community experiences. You can elevate your games with the latest and running innovation, Pierre Max, Family and classic Nike favorites. Discover your local Nike store today and unleash your greatness.
Speaker 8: Make your next move with American Express Business Platinum. Enjoy complimentary access to the American Express Global Lounge collection and with a welcome offer of one hundred and fifty thousand points. After you spend twenty thousand dollars on purchases on the card within your first three months of membership, your business can sort to new heights terms supply. Learn more at AmericanExpress dot com, Slash Business Dash Platinum, AMEX Business Platinum built for business by American Express.
Speaker 6: Nicely done, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 3: It's you know, coming off the you know, being off for a week, you build up your your ad read ability, and you know, I was practicing up in the in the off season speak.
Speaker 5: I didn't really have that many to read, so I was I was, you know, opening up the sheet expecting a ton of promos.
Speaker 6: I only had like one or two to do, and I was like, this is cake.
Speaker 3: Where must to do A lot Kisa Trex is an interesting one because like two thirds of the read is the disclaimer, so it's a lot too. It's a lot to read through, but we love Kaisa Treks. Here, let's go to Trent Grisham, who, you know, kind of in the way we often talk about these players. I wrote in the outline, is Trank Grisham the best hitter in baseball? Clearly that's not true, but he continues to be very very good this year. And I thought it was really notable because I, you know, I was looking through, you know, hit another home run last night. I'm like, you know, he's been so good, he must be rostered pretty much everywhere, and every kind of gets it. He's fifty percent rostered in CBS, under thirty percent in both ESPN and Yahoo. His triple slash line is two ninety two three seventy six six forty. That's an ops over one thousand. He has ten home runs already this season, only nineteen strike cuts on the season, and his stat cast is very very red. You know, some of the kind of standouts in there. His ex woba's ninety third percentiles, his expected slugging, his ninety fourth percentile. He's in the eighties for exit velocity, barrel rate, seventy eighth percentile hard hit rate. You know, his chase rate is only you know, ninety three percentile, so he's not chasing the balls with rates pretty low too. Like, it's just looked very, very good in all respects. He already has more home runs than he did all of last season the last two years. Is batting average is blow the Mendoza line. So on the one hand, it looks like a fluke, like, you know, it's not in line Sorr on stack cast. It's only showing the last two but yeah, I didn't have the previous seasons up too. But the expected data is saying this looks legitimate at least so far. So there could still be some noise in there, but it doesn't look that fluky.
Speaker 2: What we've seen to date.
Speaker 3: So I ask you this, He's twenty eight years old, he's got the awesome ballpark he's playing in this season. Is this a legitimate breakout that you expect to see continue on some level the rest of the way, or are you still viewing this within the prism of it's early and this is not the Trent Grisham we should expect going forward.
Speaker 5: I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. I don't think we're going to see this level of Trent Grisham the rest of the season. But I also think we're not going to see the bad, you know version either. I think he's kind of settling in. Like you said, the biggest factor here is that ballpark. You know, he's pulling the ball for power, and if you can do that even a little bit in Yankee Stadium, you're gonna have a million home runs. You wrote in the sheet, is Trent Grisham the best hitter in baseball? I would ask you a different question. Is Trent Grisham this year who we were hoping Cody Bellinger was going to be? Because this is what everyone was hoping the Cody Bellinger season the Kastadium was gonna look like, and it looked like it might be. Trent Grisham is the one taking advantage of it. There was one stat that I thought was funny when kind of like looking at this, so he has ten home runs, do you know without looking how many doubles he has?
Speaker 2: No, I don't have that pulled up, and I don't know.
Speaker 5: Okay, one though, granted that's the worst ballpark four doubles, or at least like a bottom five ballpark for doubles. But even last year he had nine home runs and eight doubles. So it's just kind of funny that, like when he is hitting for power, he's not like putting it in the gap, He's just putting it over that red field fence.
Speaker 3: I do think it's notable that not only is he hitting the ball in the air more than he has it any other year of his career, he's also pulling the ball in the air more than any other year in his career. His pull air percentage twenty five point seven percent last year is the second highest at twenty percent, So that's a pretty sizable jump year to.
Speaker 2: Year from what was already career high last year.
Speaker 3: So he is taking full advantage of the stadium that he's in. I really liked that comp of what we were hoping Bellinger would be. Yeah, I mean, like I'm not saying, go get rid of everything you had to go acquire Trent Grisham, but I think it's legitimate enough that, like he certainly is better than we expected he was going to be before the start of the season. I mean the other thing too, really and like you said, kind of the biggest factor is the ballpark. The other big factor is the strikeouts.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: If you can weigh in on I actually kind of forget, like about how long strikeout rates. You feel like they tend to normalize for hitters in a new season, But every other year in his career it was in the twenties. In the last three years it was twenty eight twenty seven to twenty seven percent strikeout rate this year is his career low. It's eighteen point eight percent. That is a very very drastic drop. So he's just putting the ball and play more and also taking advantage by pulling the ball in the air when he's doing it. So it all, you know, the highest barrel rate going along with that. Like I said, so we're one hundred played appearances in, it's not nothing, even though there's still a long way to go.
Speaker 6: So yeah, And I.
Speaker 5: Would also say it's it's not just that he's not striking out, because sometimes you'll see a player like drastically cut down on their strikeout rate, and there are like gibbs or takes in other areas, especially like you'll see like a walk percentage will also drips substantially because they're just like swinging earlier in the count and they're not you know, they're not taking pitches, they're just making contact again on base. His walk rate is staying the same, like last year's ten point five percent, this year's ten point nine percent, and in the past it's been in that ten percent range except for twenty twenty three when it was up to thirteen point five. But the fact that he's still walking as much and has cut his strikeout rate by ten percent is pretty intriguing.
Speaker 3: He's been sitting there available in one of our head to head points leagues, Deep Keeper League, pretty much the entire year, and I finally just picked him up last night. I was like, I don't you know, I'm I'm going on the show to say he should be rostered in more leagues, So let me pick him up in the lead where he's available. And I just think everybody's kind of been waiting for the other shoot to drop, but I'm it will to a degree, but I don't know what that degree is going to be. I want to ask about another player not on the same level of Grisham is Jackson Holiday arriving. This is somebody that could not have had more hype going into last season as a guy who was so recently out of high school and yet still the number one overall prospect in baseball. He was going on to a team that had all these great young talent. He was kind of that final piece of this crown jewel of a farm system, and he was awful. He was so unplayable that he got like two weeks in the majors. They sent him back down. He was a little bit better later in the year, but still not this elite hitter. We've talked a lot on the show about how top prospects are taking longer than ever to really adjust to the gap between minor league pitching and major league pitching. But Holiday has been good as of late. They just moved him today out of This is not a permanent move. I think they were just kind of shaking things up because the whole team has struggled. But today he was batting second in the order. It's the first time they finally kind of moved him up and said he's gotten comfortable, let's let's stop putting him in that like six to eight range. And the last eleven games they are playing right now, So this is not including today, although I know he did get on base at least once today already. But the last eleven games before Thursday, he's bat eating three eighty seven, four fifty seven on base five eighty one selecon percentage. That is a ops over one thousand. He's still not really running when he gets on His sprint speed is eighty ninth percentile, so he certainly has a speed. I wish he would steal more bases when he gets on base, because I thought that was an area he could contribute, you know, even when he was in the minor leagues and I was looking at, like, what's he gonna be when he gets up there. The other thing I thought was interesting that I put in the sheet is that his barrel rate and hard hit rate are both actually down compared to last year. But like like Trent Grisham, Jackson Holliday is striking out a lot less than he was last year too, so he's still crazy young. It's a position that's largely uninspiring, so getting a second basement is appealing if he really is breaking out. Do you think from what we've seen from Jackson Hill that he is taking that next step. I'm not going to call him a superstar yet. This isn't like, you know, the leap in all capital letters, But is it a leap?
Speaker 6: I think it is.
Speaker 5: I think I think you're seeing a young hitter adjusting to life in the major leagues, which you know he's going to have to do. If based on what you said, you know, and what we saw for his like initial you know, debut, it was bad as bad as it could be, and so I think he's making you know, proactive changes, you know, cutting down a strikeout rate in a meaningful way if that means you know, for the for the time being, you know, not swinging out of your shoes, and you know that'll like you know kind of like cut down on some of your swing speed and your you know, potentially your bower rate and just focusing more on like just like you know, let me make as solid contact as I can and just like let the bat do the work like until you kind of like really like lock in and have that experience. Maybe that's what you need to do. And so obviously over the last week and a half we're seeing some really tangible changes there and it's it's the kind of thing where you know, if how to put it, it's just like this is what you want to see from a young hitters, especially, like you don't want to see like the same struggles and like you want to see like changes. And so the fact that we're seeing, you know, cutting down a strike cut right, he's still walking. I'm not really as concerned about the running as you are, you know, hopefully it's just you know, you don't.
Speaker 6: Want to think it's like the manager putting it on the red light.
Speaker 5: But like maybe it's just like, look, don't worry about like running and stealing bases, just like focus on your hitting for right now, Like we will steal bases eventually, but like, don't worry about that. And his his batting average now is two sixty three and it's expected bating average to sixty two, so it's right there.
Speaker 6: It's kind of an earned.
Speaker 5: Batting average with like a league average babbit. And his swinging strike rate is way down to eight point one percent from thirteen over thirteen percent last year.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have worried about the lack of running. Homarg is confused, like there's something I expected. I thought, like he might struggle to contribute in power categories when he first got to the big leagues as a twenty year old. But I thought when he got on base, we would see him running it, and I've just some kind of surprised that he's not. But yeah, where would you rank him amongst second basemen the rest of the season.
Speaker 6: That's a good question.
Speaker 5: Like I said in the beginning of the season, I think I'll put up my rankings while I'm talking, But I like.
Speaker 3: Is he somebody that you're comfortable with if he is your starting second basement or would you still prefer he's more of like your middle infielder.
Speaker 6: I would prefer like a middle infielder right now.
Speaker 5: Like I think he's going to be a better major league player than he is for fantasy in the short term. I think in the long term he will be good. I just think we're probably like a year early, and I think maybe starting next year is when you know he'll probably be valuable in fantasy. I have him, I have him pretty love, so I still have to move him up. I have an update of my rankings. I've him outside the top thirty. I probably need to move him up to like low twenties. I would say like, I'll move him ahead of Xander Bogart's at that spot because you know, I think Xander Brogratz has a pretty low ceiling at this point, so I'll move him up to like twenty one, maybe like like nineteen head of Chase my draft, who I like. But I think, you know again, Holiday has a higher season.
Speaker 3: I didn't sit down and kind of like lay out all my rankings. My initial thought was in the like mid teens range. I think I'm still higher than you on what Because we have seen this before from these Oriols prospects. A lot of them struggled off the bat and then once they figured it out, they basically just went nuclear.
Speaker 2: So that's not a guarantee that will also happen with Holiday. The other thing, too, is a lot of it.
Speaker 3: His fans have been complaining a lot about just the approach from the team has been really poor, Like I really want to see a shakeup on the coaching staff right now. Holiday is the one guy who seems to be making adjustments. His swing looks shorter, he's dropped a leg kick. I don't think it's any coincidence that he has a dad who was an All Star hitter, for many years in the major league level, who takes a very prevalent role in his career and can maybe help them find those adjustments that I think the coaching staff is willing to do with some of the other players.
Speaker 2: So I'm pretty optimistic.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm not saying he's a top twelve second basement, but I'm pretty optimistic about Holiday going for the rest of the way. The other one other thing I'll mention on him, stat cast really hates his fielding. It's got him like fifth percentile and range. That's extremely small sample size for a metric like that, but I just wanted to point out that from the eye test watching him, he looks night and day in the field. Compared to the last year, he looks so much more comfortable at second. He's made very strong plays on a number of occasions. I think he is taking a step forward defensively, which you would hope would keep him in the lineup more often. Brandon Hyde, I hate spatting him against lefties.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 2: I think it's really dumb.
Speaker 3: He needs to figure it out against lefties, and he's gotten hits against him before. I think he's fine, So I really hope he Can three.
Speaker 6: Of the last four games against lefties, has been on the bench three last.
Speaker 3: Four, and it'll it'll be coming off like a multi hit day, and it's like, just let the kid get in rid of them. I mean, I've said this on a hundred times, like Brandon Hyde needs to get fired yesterday. I think he's in over his head and I think players like Jackson Holiday suffer because of his his machinations. All right, let's go to the last second here on round in the bases. And like I said at the top of the show, there is something I just like to do when I've been gone and not able to watch really any baseball for several days.
Speaker 2: What did I.
Speaker 3: Miss when I was out? And I will let you teach me what it is that that I missed here? So what was important? What are the headlines that I need to know from the last week.
Speaker 5: Well you're never gonna believe this, but Mike Trot got hurt.
Speaker 3: This I did see, And of course my immediate thought was, how does Mayor feel about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, as someone who are rosters them everywhere, because you know, if you're going to take a risk, take a risk everywhere. Is it one of those things where they said they were not concerned about it, and then he went on the IL and they're still saying they're not concerned about it. But like I said last week when Kelly and I were talking about it, seen this movie before, you know, I've seen them not be concerned about Mike drout injuries, and then I've seen him just not.
Speaker 6: Play the rest of the season. So we'll see.
Speaker 5: Hopefully he's back soon, hopefully for my sake and for baseball sake, cause I think he's still a fun player. Spencer Strider has been out for a while for the hamstring injury.
Speaker 3: But let me ask you this quickly on Trout because I know you guys have talked about him like when I was gone, and they've talked about leading off. Like I'm not saying we need to believe everything. I want to ask you this, as somebody who has a lot of him, when he comes back off the IL, will you look to trade him then and say he's back? You know, I'm going to try and sell high on the momentum of coming off the IL and just get something form while I can, or are you're gonna hold on and say, you know, I don't think he's going to get hurt again this year, and I'm kind of riding this thing until the last possible second.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to trade him right away. I'm going to hold him and see if I can, you know, recoup my investment, if that makes sense. But I don't think i'd be selling high enough. Not that I like spent a lot of draft capital on him, because he was going like ninth round around when I got him, or you know, like in the teens in you know, salary cap auction leagues. But I don't think like he has like a bunch of home runs, batting average is low, and he already has that, like you know, he's becoming fresh off an injury, and so I don't think anyone's gonna want to pay the price that I would want for Mike Trout because they think they're buying low. Like here's you know, the guy batting below two hundred. He's very injury prone coming off an injury. I don't think it's the right time to sell him now. If he comes off and he's like really hot for three weeks, it's gonna be tough for me because I'm gonna want to sell high. But I'm also going to be like, look, this is what I was hoping for, and I don't want to give up on this, but I'm always gonna have in the back of my mind like he's.
Speaker 6: Gonna get hurt.
Speaker 5: So it might just be like league by league, depending on what my roster looks like. But I wouldn't sell him right away because I don't think you're going to get any kind of value for your better offter just holding on.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, what else said?
Speaker 5: I Miss Spencer Stryder's been out for a while, you know, pretty disappointing. He came back very early and then much earlier than a lot of people anticipated, but then he had a hamstering injury and he's been on the shelf. But he and as of like last week, there were like no plans for him to like start throwing. And then finally yesterday Wednesday, he started throwing off a mound and they were going to wait to see how he felt today to determine next steps. But it sounds like he could be beginning or rehab assignment, like hopefully soon, so we could potentially be getting Spencer Strider back, which you know, again in that league, in that league we're in where I'm really bad. I have Mike Drought and Spencer Strider, so I would love to have both of them back and Acuna too, right, I do have Acunya. Yeah, I was hoping he'll be back by now too, or at least like on a rehab assignment, but that's been slower.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: I took a lot of risks in that league, and so far none of them have paid off. And I have a bunch of other players like Price, Harper like not, you know, producing up to like certain expectations. So it's even the players I do have are not really performing as much as I would hope, or even Mookie Bets. Speaking of pitcher injuries, Joe Ryan missed a start, but apparently it's just sick and should be able to make his next start. You know, you don't love a picture being sick enough to miss a start, but better that.
Speaker 6: Than an injury.
Speaker 5: So hopefully his strength comes back and he's feeling all right for his next start. We talked a little bit last week about Lucas Giolito, who, in his first start in like over a year, looked really good.
Speaker 6: I guess almost two years.
Speaker 5: He he looked really good and flirted with like six shutout innings until he kind of got squeezed at one point and then he left like a change up, like an O two change up over the middle of the plate, got it for a home run. And then his second start just really really bad. And so I'm gonna cough but sorry, and so like there was some hope there, like okay, like this guy might be someone worth picking up. And second start not good at all, and so now I'm much less optimistic about Lucas gu little pretty concerned and uh yeah, so I wrote in the sheet good good, geal little bad Giulio. I was initially, you know, very intrigued, and now less so because it doesn't really have the stuff that he used to have. But like you know, I you know, he was like hiding the ball pretty well and like getting some whiffs, and I was like, all right, I can get down with this, but now, you know, not so good. Tony Gonsolin, on the on the other hand, has come off you know, the ilt and looked very good and pitching for the Dodgers that need pitching and have like, you know, one of the best.
Speaker 6: Offenses in baseball.
Speaker 5: He's also striking out a ton of people, which is not something he's always done, so that's very exciting. I added him before he came back, and I've been very fortunate to have him in my lineup, so that's that's good. And then I I paired two pictures together down here at the bottom, A J. Smith Shov and then Matt Liberator, who both might be breaking out, like they both you know, Smith jav Or flirted with a no hitter the other night I took, you know, he gave up his first hit in the eighth inning. Some of his suspective numbers are like not that exciting. And then Matt Liberator has been like solid all year and it's you know, I would kind of you know, I know you haven't watched them recently, but like kind of posed the question to you, like do you think because Smith Jobber has been around for little while, but he's still very young, and like, do we think these are like pictures breaking out or do we think this is kind of just like a a good start and like they're going to come back down to earth because they both have some decent prospect pedigree and like haven't lived up to it initially, but like maybe now they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Liberator, I think i'd be more. I have seen what he's been doing more in this last week, especially than smith Shover, so I feel less qualified. Like I didn't see the no hitter, you know, carried into the eighth inning for smith Shover, so I didn't watch that kind of see if he was looking different or anything. But Liberator like forty one innings, thirty three hits, six walks, his whips under one.
Speaker 2: His era is three oh seven.
Speaker 3: You know, he's got thirty eight strikeouts in those forty one innings. I always liked him as a prospect too, so it is kind of fun to see him put it together. If that is, in fact, what is happening. That's I I what is smith Shov's age.
Speaker 6: He's he is twenty two, twenty two, Okay.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I was gonna guess twenty three. Yeah, twenty two is so young that it would not at all. I mean, it shouldn't all surprise anybody if he is getting better still, right, I mean he's still so young. Yeah, he's he's led more people on than liber Tour. But yeah, the ear a three strikeout per inning, it's really mainly for him the last three starts. I guess it is, And there was that gap between the twelfth and the twenty ninth, so like these last two back to back are kind of the two like standout ones from him. Combined, it looks like what thirteen in a third innings, five hits, two runs, five walks, ten strikeouts.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't feel super qualified.
Speaker 3: To weigh and I'm like, oh, here's the reasons I think he is breaking out or whatever, but I think it's definitely encouraging, especially at that age.
Speaker 2: I'd be really interested in.
Speaker 3: Him anywhere I could have him, and like, you know, just I'm looking a fan tracks right now, sixty six percent rostered there. I would imagine that's a lower in some of those other places, So pretty acquirable, and I would be on board with hoping that this is him taking the step forward. Do you have like one that you think is more quote unquote legit than the.
Speaker 5: Other, probably Liberator. I think i'd like smith Stava. I've always liked Liberator. I think there are some concerning things in smith Stava's profile, and you can see that in some of the expected numbers, like his eras three. His fit is three point nine eight, so like a battle run higher his XCRA is five point three one, so XCRA really doesn't buy into what he's doing, and that kind of lines up more with the stackcast stuff, and you can see like walk percentage, you know, is twenty first percentile. He's allowing some hard contact like barrel rate and hard hit percentage like twelfth and twenty first percentile. So while there is some swing and myths, there's also some hard contact there, and so that's probably what XCRA doesn't like more than some of the other expected metrics. So there is some smoke and mirrors to what we're seeing there. Whereas I think Liberator, like you with someone I've I've liked for a long time, I feel like I've traded or traded him away or acquired him several times in multiple times the leagues over the years, and so excited to see that if he's he's finally putting it together and a lot of his underlying numbers are buying into what he's doing. Whereas like his era is right around the same as three point zero seven, and all of his fip X, FIP sierra at X zero well fip X, FIP and xc RA A are all below his current era, and the Sierra three point two two is just above it, and so the expected numbers are more so buying into what he's doing, which I think also matches what we're seeing with our eyes.
Speaker 3: I appreciate the crash course in what I missed the last week. Mayor, thank you as always for that. We'll go ahead and wrap up ran in the bases there. Be sure to check out the other parts of the cycle. We'll have our buys and Cells and Waiver Central coming up in part two, and then of course you've got our picture breakdown, some streaming options, our two start picture competition, all that in Part three four. Mayor, I'm Ryan warmly thanks everybody for tuning in. We'll see again on the next show. Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Baseball podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash Fantasy Pros MLB