Speaker 1: Also media, Hello and welcome toake it Happen here. I am Andrew Siege Andrewism on YouTube and joined again.
Speaker 2: By James Again.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've noticed a phenomenon I'm not sure if you've noticed it too, where anti imperialists solidarity somehow goes a step beyond a posing imperialist aggression itself and crosses into lionizing or whitewashing the targets of that aggression, or rather the asensible leaders of the target to that aggression.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I have noticed this too. It's one of the things that makes me most angry in the world. What's been referred to as the anti imperialism of idiots. Yes, not so relevant now, but I used to like to apply the Sad test to anybody who claimed to be interested in the politics of liberation. Right if you, if you think Asad is a based anti imperialist people's socialist hero, then your politics are shit.
Speaker 2: I have nothing good to say about that, Like, you're an idiot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it should be a fringe phenomenon, right, but I haven't seen it get an increase intraction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even in like relatively you know, like I won't start a war with various US leftist publications. But I went to pitch some people this last week, thinking like, there is speculation that the United States will once again ally itself with Kurdish groups. So I'm sure it had then planned to once again abandon when that became politically more expedient. But I happened to have some insight into these various Kurtish groups, having spent some time there and having contacts there, And so I went to the website of these various you know, big publications which are left or left leaning or even sort of liberal, and I saw these borderline campus takes on what's happening in Iran.
Speaker 2: And it's just.
Speaker 3: So so frustrating to me, Like, it makes me so angry that people continue to view the world through this binary Marvel movie lens which sees it it's impossible that two things could be bad at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's infuriating to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if I was more inclined to conspiracy, I might say that this binary is intentionally constructed, you know, that it's it's by design that the most vocal anti imperiodist voices also just so happened to align themselves with state power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Camp is on.
Speaker 1: But I'm not inclined to conspiracy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, one could make a pretty reasonable argument.
Speaker 1: For that, right, One could make that argument. Yeah I won't, but one could.
Speaker 2: I might.
Speaker 1: I think one of the best examples of this is the sort of odd obsession that some people have with Colonel Umar Algadafi. Now, last episode, we spoke about the long term consequences of Western intervention in Libya, beginning with the twenty eleven uprising during the Arab Spring against the forty two year rule of more Margadafi, but began as a broad, largely lead less protest movement was quickly shaped by foreign intervention. In Marsh of twenty eleven, the US, the UK, and France launched a military campaign through NATO under the UN mandate to protect civilians. The war toppled Gaddafi, but killed tens of thousands and devastated infrastructure. In the aftermath, Libya fractured into rival governments, militias, and foreign backed factions, triggering yet another civil war in twenty fourteen, and despite a cease fire in twenty twenty, the country remains divided between competing administrations, while ordinary Libyans face instability, human rights abuses, and economic hardship. I think it's fair to say that the NATO intervention was a net negative for the country. But in this same breath, I cannot agree with those who seemed to believe that Gaddafi's rule could have continued either that he was some force for good in the country. And in this episode, I really want to get into the y to identify and dissect the actions of the man Gaddafi. According to his biography and Encycopoedia Britannica, Murma al Kaddafi was born in nineteen forty two near Sirte, Libya. Sixty nine years later, he would be captured and killed in Sirte, Libya. After spending his early years in at tent he graduated from the University of Libya in nineteen sixty three and then graduated from a military academy in nineteen sixty five. In nineteen sixty nine, at the age of twenty seven, Gaddafi pulled off a blood less coup to seize power from King Idris to First of Libya. For the next four decades plus, he would be the de facto ruler of Libya. He was both a passionate Arab nationalist and a Muslim in power, he tried to push both of his ideologies. He expelled Western military forces, expelled remaining Italian settlers and Jewish communities in Libya, nationalized the country's oil industry, banned alcohol and gambling, tried to unify with his Arab neighbors occasionally by attempting coups in their countries, and stood against normalization with Israel. So a very mixed bag so far. Until nineteen seventy seven, Gaddafi ruled the Libyan Arab Republic, but the culmination of his Cultural Revolution period from nineteen seventy three to nineteen seventy seven would sideline his political and religious opponents, who would begin in to see him as unstable, huboristic, and authoritarian. That period would instead cement Gaddafi as the sole ruler of what he would rename the Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiria. As recounted in Libya The History of Gaddafi's Pariah State by John Oakes, Jamahiria was a term he coined in his Green Book, likely inspired by Mao's Little Read Book, published during the Libyan Cultural Revolution period. Jamahiria was his idea of a state of the masses governed by people's Congresses and popular assemblies. And if it's one thing that makes a political movement, it's empowering. It's slapping the people's and popular label on everything, regardless of any additional context. So they had these democratic local assemblies called basic People's Congresses that met three times a year, and those congresses appointed executive people's committees which did most of the day to day stuff, and above it all was the General People's Congress. This period was simultaneously an effort to encourage popular participation through these congresses while suppressing descend through his control over the secret services. It was clear that Goddaffi was still in charge even after he stepped down from his formal position as Secretary General in nineteen seventy nine and simply and humbly dubbed himself the brotherly leader and Guide of the revolution.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you get some of his like hubristic stuff, like his rhetoric, is his outfit, his reference to himself.
Speaker 2: It is like you couldn't parody some of it.
Speaker 3: It is where like the parodies of dictators in this part of the world come from.
Speaker 2: Is Goaddafi's kind of affect? I guess, yeah, he was a character yes, that he was here.
Speaker 1: He was a definitely character. Yeah, so, I mean, anarchist critiques of democracy are easy to find, and although Gadaffi's Libya is never solely directly democratic, even in his project, you could see some of the flaws and the issues that anarchists have identified in this approach to popular power as the congresses, the People's Congresses were poorly attended and easily manipulated. Issues were often raised and rarely resolved, And of course, compounding those flaws was the fact that these people's Congresses had no actual power over the things that mattered in Libya, the oil industry, the armed forces, the security services, and foreign policy, where Kadaffi and his compatriots still ruled. Gaddafi decided where the oil money went, and he directed some of it to a great man made of a project that would extract from the ancient and non renewable aquifer under the Libyan desert to supply the coast for some more stable water supply. Frustratingly for him, I could assume Kaddafi did not get what he wanted out of the revolutionary People's Congresses, so he created revolutionary committees to mobilize the people and safeguard their rule through commandos that answered to Gaddafi directly. These revolutionary committees could arrest counter revolutionaries, establish revolutionary courts, and eliminate enemies of the revolution at home and abroad. The people he called stray dogs. All of this for the people, of course, and for the revolution so on. People his system had some degree of people power and people voice, but in practice he exercised near total control and suppression of opposition, both within the country and outside the country. The same went for workplaces. Of course. He spoke about worker partnership and power in the Green Book, but it was a state controlled and state distributed economy in Libia, run by oil money, with very few worker run enterprises. There was also no real freedom of organization or strike in Libya, as independent unions were banned and Graffi explicitly rejected class struggle despite claiming to be a socialist. So in the Return of Momar Kadafi by Tunisian academic Hatem Gussemi, he hadized the cult of personality that was forged over the years of Gaddafi's rule that has resurfaced up to today. His opponents often pointed the good that he did for the country, establishing basic social services, free health, gain, education, howies in and land distribution, accessible loan programs, women's rights and so on. And with that welfare state came naturally some base of popular support for people who had little to nothing before. Other fans of Gadaffi point to what I like to call hype moments and aura. So there was a time when he was in the UN General Assembly and he was supposed to be a short time to speak, and he just went on and on and on and on and on and on, and he tore up the UN chatter, hyperments and aura, right, and yeah, that's like something that a lot of people point to. He was also, at one point in time the Chairman of the African Union, and he wanted to keep that position permanently, and he was proposing a whole United States of Africa. Like he had a whole period of African solidarity, which we'll get to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, good, Yeah, His Pan Africanist dark is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So none of this, however, erases his dark dark side. For one, for all the women's rights that he put forward in Libya, he was not that great to women. The Green Book presents Gadaffi as someone who cared about women's dignity and rights. But even in that book you see a very complimentarist take on women's place in society. It's like, yeah, they're equal to men, but also their role will is in the household. They're supposed to be mothers above everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like, they.
Speaker 1: Need to be mothers, but they shouldn't be treated as property or objects.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he based a lot of this in like his interpretation of Hadi thought of Kuran, like his his idea that like there was some kind of divine guidance on gender roles. Right. I've actually seen this in recent days, Like you can go and find Hammoni's tweets, right, like like iatlah Hamoni not not his son, and like you can see his stuff where he's like you should not mistreat your wife. You can literally find in his timeline on Twitter. Right. He was a big poster and people have somehow attempted to like construe this as like he was a leader of enlightened feminist regime like in Iran, which I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's benevolent patriarchy alough.
Speaker 2: For again, yeah, I like.
Speaker 3: You you have to be really on a special fucking truth trajectory to convince yourself that that is the case.
Speaker 2: Likely, Like, it.
Speaker 3: Takes a remarkable capacity for self delusion to rather than listening to women in Iran, women from Iran, many of whom I have spoken to, to look at the evidence of the killing, for example, with you know Amini right to be like, I know, I found this tweet from twenty thirteen, so we were good here, this is this is fine. It's just remarkable people's tendency to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's remarkable and stupid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, stupid It is a good word.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And going back to Gadafi aside from that sort of benevolent patriarchy take on women's equality.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Investigative report in by Anaka Jin also gathered testimony since his fall that alleged his procurement, collusion, and sexual abuse of women inside his compound aided by a network of officials. Unfortunately, many of these women are far too are free to come forward even all these years after his death due to the persistence of Prograrafi sentiment in the country up to today. So not the best for women, what about for Africa?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: His whole pan Africanist are He styled himself as a Pan African who would support the struggles of people like Mandela and would fund infrastructure projects around the continent. But he had a history of attemptant over through governments in Africa and support oppressive ones, including Idi Amin of Uganda and Charles Taylor of Liberia. So his Pan Africanism was never concerned with the freedom or well being of African people. It was I think very much according to his own self aggrandizement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't.
Speaker 3: He proposed like an African union, which was more akin to like a United States, like a federal action.
Speaker 1: The United States South Africa. That was his proposal.
Speaker 2: Fantastic, Yeah, yeah, correct.
Speaker 1: And as he is proposing this Pan African vision within Libya itself, he was pushing for an Arablivia. Yeah, the Amazek and other non Arab Africans in Libya were mistreated, you know. His vision of an Arab Libya led to this suppression of the Toaregs, the tables and the Amazek. He had policies, as reported in the BBC in New Internationalists Al jaz right elsewhere. He had policies that included the bannon of minority languages, the bannon of minority names, the discourageon of cultural expression, and sometimes denying citizenship to groups outside the Arab identity. So naturally, many of these minorities took part in the twenty eleven movement, and after Gaddafi's fall there was a revival of language, cultural institutions and publications. However, the NTC and those that followed have continued to ignore the minority plight. Minority groups are still struggling for constitutional recognition, representation, and equal rights in a country that is, of course still divided, and some minorities have chosen to boycott the national political process entirely in favor of pursuing local self governance. Also, minorities were not the only people being persecuted in Gaddafi's Libya. On the political front, despite coal and himself a socialist, Gaddaffi was really all over the place ideologically now internationally, he may have backed the Palestinian struggle, the Irish struggle, the African American struggle, but he was consistent in suppressing actual leftists in Libya. Marxis dot com identified some of these repressive efforts in their article on Gaddafi quote Gaddaffi was very clear in expressing his anti communism. In nineteen seventy one, he sent a plane full of Sudanese communists back to Sudan, where they were executed by Nimi. In nineteen seventy three, the regime published an official document to commemorate the fourth anniversary of Gaddafi's rise to power under the title Holy War against Communism End quote quite the center. Later on, however, he would get more chummy with the ussry. But Gadaffi was no marxisilantist, and communists and leftists and workers were not legally capable of organizing independently in Libya. Aside from them, you also had the murder and torture of civilians and journalists, the assassinations of rivals and Libya and around the world. It was not the free speech utopia that Kadaffi tried to paint as instead of emboldening the left to sermons, he emboldened these tribal groups and set the foundation for the Libya that we see today.
Speaker 3: His consistent through line is that he liked strong men and sees himself among them and wants to associate himself with them. At some point in the two thousands, he was supporting Yorg Hyder, a neo fascist in Austria, and telling Europeans they needed to get past their obsession with the Second World War. He had no like consistent politics.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that tracks with his expulsion of Jewish communities in Libya. Yeah, he hadn't only expelled Jewish settlers, He expelled Jewish communities that had arrived prior to Italian colonization, that had existed in Libya for centuries.
Speaker 3: Yeah that maybe, I guess Anti Semitism can often be the link that brings terrible people together.
Speaker 1: He had a lot of other notorious incidents of suppression, but one of the most significant was the Abu Salim massacre. In short, as recounted by John Oogs, Abu Salem was the site of a prisoner's protest on the twenty eighth of June nineteen ninety six. The prisoners escaped their cells and were protesting them as treatment as gods shot at them from the roof. Two top security officials came and took command, ordering the shooting to stop and promising to address the prisoner's complaints if they returned to their cells and gave up the guards they had hostage and the following day, shots fired from eleven am to one thirty five pm, a mass slaughter of approximately one thy two hundred of the sixteen to seventeen hundred prisoners in Abu Salins. The families who suffered a blow were among the first on the streets of Benghazi twenty eleven, but those families were not originally told that their loved ones had been killed. Some of them continued to visit the prison for weeks, months years after, bringing gifts for their relatives who were already long dead. In the twists and turns of Gaddafi's ideological development or lack their of, following the fall of the USSR, Gaddafi would also pursue economic liberalization. He started opening up to the West, ever so slightly. They were still progress and a brief hickup, but by two thousand and three, free market advocate Chukri Ganim was appointed Prime Minister. Before long, three hundred and sixty state enterprises were privatized. By two thousand and seven, Libya was laying off as many as a third of the government workforce four hundred thousand public sector workers, and according to a New York Times article from twenty eleven, the IMF had actually praised Libya's economic reforms. So while twenty eleven conditions were so unbearable for so many workers, especially young people, there's no wonder that some of them fought with nothing to lose. The last aspects of Gadaffi's rule that I want to touch on was his complex relationship with Western powers billionis rule in the seventies and eighties. He did style himself for an anti imperist revolutionary and that is the image that our people uphold of him to this day. Libya funded an armed revolutionary and militon movements worldwide, from the African National Congress or the ANC, to the Palestine Liberation Organization or PILO, to the Irish Republican Army or IRI. He aligned himself with the so called radical camp in the Middle East, including Bathist Syria and Iran, and Western governments accused Libya of supporting international terrorism. Libya was considered a rogue state, but as noted by Syrian anarchist Mazen Kamalamas in an interview with Jose Antonio Guitairez, quote, even when Gaddafi was declaring himself an anti imperialist long ago, it was just a lip service. While he engaged as an authoritarian in trivial terrorist acts that never meant to support the libertarian objectives of the victims of imperialism end quote. Still, Reagan called him a mad dog, and the US bombed Libya in nine teen eighty six after attacks in a West Berlin nightclub were attributed to Libyan agents. Those bombans narrowly missed Gaddafi himself, but they killed his adopted baby daughter. Libya was also blamed for the nineteen eighty eight bombing of PanAm Flight one O three over Lockerby, which led to sanctions both the United Nations and the US, which isolated Libya economically and diplomatically. In the nineties, however, with four of the USSR, Libya began solely shifting toward cooperation. They handed over the suspects in the Lockerbie bombing, and sanctions began to loosen as they attempted to normalize relations. Western intelligence services soon started cooperating with Libyan intelligence against Islamist militon groups, including the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, which is a thorn in Gaddafi's side. The early two thousands had Libya renownce its weapons of mass destruction program. Following the invasion of Iraq, the US and the UNS have equently lifted sanctions, and diplomatic relations were a store fully with Western countries. Gadaffi hosted Tony Blair of the UK, Nicholas atco Zia France, and met with Obama as well, and many of these meetings with Western leaders produced multi billion dollar energy and business deals BP Royal, Dot Shell, Excellent, Mobile, Chevron, Total Energies. They were all get in pieces of Libya's wealth as Libya began adopting one neoliberal economic reforms like currency devaluation, trade liberalization, and more openness to foreign investment. Libya was also able to cooperate closely with Western intelligence during the war and terror, including assist in the CIA and MI six in rendition and torture as uncovered by Human Rights Watch. So by the mid two thousands, Libya had mostly reintegrated into the Western their global system, and the West, for their part, simply ignored Gadaffi's continued human rights abuses. The conter terrorism cooperation, the oil and gas contracts, and don't forget the brutal African migrant control were all too valuable for America and Europe.
Speaker 3: I remember this this period quite well. It was when I was in my undergraduate university and Gaddafi was invited to speak the Oxford Union. I did my undergraduate there and myself and a number of friends.
Speaker 1: So you met Gadafi.
Speaker 2: No, he spoke. He spoke via video conference, okay.
Speaker 3: Which they paused while they removed us for protesting Gaddafi's Like it just seemed like this decades of abuse of his own people had been completely forgotten, right, because he was now prepared to do abuse of other people that was beneficial to the United Kingdom of the United States. And we felt like that was apparent and wrong, so we went to make our feelings known. And the Oxford Union is very silly institution, right, which prizes itself on free speech, and really it just does kind of class reproduction for the most part, right, And of course, like there was not freedom of each for people who are going to be rude to someone who was in charge of a state, even if they were being rude on behalf of the thousands.
Speaker 2: Of people he's had murdered and tortured.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that was my little personal run in with Goodafi when I was what like eighteen, But yeah, I can't remember if we were not allowed in or we were booted out, because I am like two decades and half a dozen traumatic brain injuries since my eighteenage years. But yeah, I do remember just being like, people are triating this like aus some kind of fucking novelty, and this person has real blood on his hands, like real people have suffered tremendously and died because of actions he's taken.
Speaker 2: Like it's not funny or cute.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a year was that?
Speaker 3: It would have been in the early two thousands, the Bush era, because that's when I was in my undergraduate second Bush term, so like it would have been brought in two thousand and six some of somewhere there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thankfully I never had any run ins with Gadaffi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even at that time, I can remember just being sort of somewhat appalled by the Marxist learninist tendency to excuse crimes against humanity if as long as they were done by people who who said the right things, who had the right vibes, who condemned the right people, and the liberal tendency to excuse crimes against humanity so long as they were done in service of capitalism and the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, shockingly similar tendencies in some ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, like this fundamentally not rooted in the idea that people have a right to dignity. Both of them hold people as less valuable than other things, right, be it capital or I mean the Marxis learnins tendency, honestly, Like, it's not even the revolution that they believe it's more valuable than people. It's the revolutionary rhetoric. Yeah, like with a sad right, Like you can murder your own people with chemical weapons so long as you pretend to give us a shit about Palestinians, even though you've spent decades using your weapons to kill your own people and never once use him to actually help the people of Palestine, to actually protect.
Speaker 4: People, exactly exactly, So at this point, now, you know, good, after he's trying to be your chummy with the US, after he spent some time being chummy with Africa, and spend some time being chummy with USSR and with rebel groups around the world.
Speaker 1: But that was just the thing, right, he had this track record of flip flopping, you know, and even though relations had normalized, these Western powers could not trust him. They still saw him as that mad dog. They still saw him as unpredictable and unreliable. In fact, even while he was cutting deals with these multi billion dollar corporations for the oil contracts and so on, when he wasn't getting what he wanted, he would threaten to nationalize to get what he wanted. And so to West, being opportunistic, we're just waiting for an opportunity. They were done with playing his game, and that opportunity came when the people organically rose up against Gaddafi in twenty eleven, not long after NATO intervened. In the years since, Libyans have suffered and died with no end in sight. It shouldn't be uncontroversial to say this Gaddafi was not a true antime perialist. I don't think it's possible for a statesman or a government to be truly anti perialist. Government is fundationally exploitative internally and when turned externally, that drive exploitation is what we understand as imperialism. All the markers of imperialism worthy of condemnation, be it economic exploitation, cultural dominance, military violence, et cetera, is carried out under the label of governance when done within its own borders, when done against, for example, the non Arab minorities in Libya. I think what's missing from now popular anti imperialist narratives is that connection, that analysis, and a gap in the analysis is what's creating this false consciousness that leads people to come to conclusion that anti imperialism means that XYZ government is anti imperialists and good and ABC government is imperialists and bad. That's not how the world works. States are never going to be liberatory. They're not able to produce a liberatory framework. At their best, they function as a welfare state. At their worst, you get mass suppression and cults of personality. Sometimes you get a combination of both, as with Libya and Giaffi. And that's my message for today. Please stop lionis and leaders, stay woke. Yeah, and all power to all the people. Aber Andrew Sage. This is it could happen here. Peace.
Speaker 2: It could happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 3: You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening,