Speaker 1: Hey, they folks. Did is Friday, April seventeenth, and it's finally happened. Singer David has been arrested in connection with the murder of a fourteen year old girl. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Roolves. I say finally because from the moment we heard about the death of this young woman this excuse me, this child and her connection to David, we were all kind of waiting around when is he going to be arrested? And Rose didn't know it's gonna take this many months.
Speaker 2: Didn't think it was going to take seven months.
Speaker 3: That's right, because fourteen year old Celestrieves Hernandez, her body was found badly decomposing, dismembered in the trunk of a car registered to singer David. And by the way, his name, his official name is David Anthony Burke, but he goes by it looks like de forvid D four vds and.
Speaker 1: We're going to screw that up at some point during this conversation. That's how we kind of learned to say his name de for of it. That's how we learned to spell it because it looks weird. But this is what kids do nowadays. Everything on social media, they change it up, so we're gonna make that mistake at some point. Robes, when this it like, how could anything else be possible? Look, this is not a criticism of the police, but they're getting there. They were getting their ducks in a row. But Robes every what there was no other suspect they talked about. There was nobody else involved. There's nobody else arrested. It was in his car all of this and Robes he was still on tour at the time, and wrote, was seven months you said, yes.
Speaker 3: She was found September fourth, one day after what would have been her fifteenth birthday, so it was it's been a while. And it was November that he was named officially a suspect in the case.
Speaker 2: And then there were reports of a.
Speaker 3: Grand jury convening and different folks being brought to the Los Angeles area to testify. But this was a tightly guarded investigator. In fact, the medical examiner put out a statement he was upset he wasn't allowed to give autopsy results or even speak to the press, and he felt like this was a suppression of information.
Speaker 2: He wanted more transparency. So there seemed to even be.
Speaker 3: Infighting among officials there in LA about how to handle the information that was coming in from this case, but they managed to keep it very close to the vest.
Speaker 1: You know, let's stop for a second and give that department credit for this. This is LA. This is the LAPD and Robes in the Los Angeles area. They've been known for big cases, celebrity cases, leaks, all kinds of stuff wherees this one was handled. This was one of those cases where every day you see a headline in some tabloid that really told you nothing. They were trying to keep everybody interested in the case without information. Robes, we really have not had a lot of information on this case for seven months, nothing official, I was.
Speaker 3: Gonna say, certainly nothing coming from the LA Police Department until yesterday.
Speaker 2: And it happened late yesterday. It happened to round what eight pm Eastern.
Speaker 1: Times Usterre Town, I think was four thirty when they picked them up local Sada's that times out. But Ropes, this kind of came out of No, we keep up with the case, We keep checking in about and whatnot.
Speaker 2: Googled the Forvid David almost every day.
Speaker 1: The Ropes. There was nothing that was bubbling up necessarily that thought something was imminent, and I was almost even. There was no press conference, there was no heads up, there were no details. They put out a statement on X and that was it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the statement on X read as follows. Detectives from Los Angeles Police Department Robbery Homicide Division have arrested David Burke, a twenty one year old resident of Los Angeles, for the murder of Celeste Reevas. Burke is being held without bail. The case will be presented to the District Attorney's office on Monday for filing consideration period.
Speaker 2: End of story.
Speaker 1: That's it, and they're keeping a lid on this thing, and good for them. They don't want to compromise. I mean, folks will still tell you to this day Oja did not get convicted because of midsteps and how that case was handled. They have learned their lessons. They have cut down on leaks and this one at least robes it works now. David is not Yes, he's a singer and he was up and coming. He was nothing to the level of celebrity of a OJ if you will, but still Robes you did at the time more of a deep dive on this guy. All of our daughters know who he is, no his music, know what type of music, and he was named one of the top up and coming stars in music.
Speaker 3: Yes, his name wasn't necessarily a household one yet for folks our age, but you could argue that he was on his way to becoming just that he was. He emerged to fame on TikTok and that's why we may not know him the way our daughters did, but certainly he became a TikTok sensation, four million followers. He is just setting out on his world tour, his career was taking off, and he was just twenty at the time when all of these headlines started circling around him, and it just seemed like such a shame some young artist who was literally just getting started and was touring this country, about to have a European leg to his tour. All of that canceled, and so much mystery surrounding this relationship that appears to have started online when Celeste Reeves might have been as young as eleven twelve years old. So this has just been a story where we haven't even heard much from friends. I mean, this has been a tightly guarded story where just a few little hints of.
Speaker 2: What may have happened.
Speaker 3: We believe they were romantically involved, and most people say that she was passing herself off as a nineteen year old.
Speaker 2: But short of that, there really is just a lot of unknown.
Speaker 1: And this is a young lady. I keep saying, young lady. This is a kid. This is a child. She was fourteen when she died. We were hanging out with thirteen year olds Sabine, having dinner, enjoying ourselves. That is a child. So so I keep saying young lady for whatever reason. And yes, we see the pictures of her and she but that has to be kept in perspective. This is a baby. So this young lady robes You remind me how many times she had been reporting missing, like a couple of times even before she officially went missing.
Speaker 3: Correct, She officially went missing at the age of thirteen, so exactly Sabine's age, and she had not been seen for about a year and a half before her body was found in that trunk of that tesla registered to singer David. So she had been running to a lot of times. It was relatives. She just had problems with her family apparently, And look, a lot of kids go through this, and she found seems some sort of solace or safety or love or whatever she was looking for in the arms of David, and it was reported she was actually living with him in Los Angeles leading up to her eventual murder and death.
Speaker 1: And the death we go back to September Robes. This all came to people's attention because there was a car parked on the street. It was in the same neighborhood where David was living at the time, but he was on tour when the car was discovered, but it had been sitting out there on the road for quite a while. Neighbors reported it. I believe I'm not sure if the foul oder was smelled yet Robe, but once it got certainly to the towyard, after a couple of days, a foul older was reported. Police were called in and that's when they checked out the car. Her body was found, and it was found Robes and pretty horrific shape, not just decomposing.
Speaker 2: H that's right.
Speaker 3: So not only was Celestreevus's body decomposing, they say she had been dead for weeks, at least.
Speaker 2: Weeks, but it was also dismembered.
Speaker 3: So certainly a lot of effort went into to somehow, I don't. The reason why it's so confusing is if you're going to go to the lengths of actually dismembering a body and placing it in bags, why leave it in the trunk of your car then in the hot late summer, yeah, late summer, early fall sun, to be discovered while you're off touring like it. None of it makes sense. So go through those lengths of trying to conceal the body and be able to move the body. Why leave it in a parked car on a public street where obviously the odor is going to draw attention at some point.
Speaker 1: I give you on that one. That makes no sense. Killer, chop her up, leave her in my car in a public place, and then I'm going to go on tour. That doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make sense at all. So there are so many questions. But yes, young Celestreevas was last seen April of twenty twenty four, so this is it was a terribly sad ending. We heard from her mother who said the moment she heard the news, she was afraid it was her daughter. And then look, there were a lot of things linking David to Celeste. A matching tattoo, and certainly some photos posted online, it seemed pretty obvious.
Speaker 2: Her brother and her mother said he was she was.
Speaker 3: Her boyfriend's name was David, So everyone had linked the two together for so long it was interesting. It took p least seven months to finally make this arrest.
Speaker 1: Well, then a big part of that was we were confused Robes that they had turned the body over to the family, saying, we thought, well, how can they continue the investigation? How can they prove how she died? How could they prove murder? They must be done with the examination of the body. We don't know because still Robes, they haven't announced how she died.
Speaker 2: No, we don't have a cause of death.
Speaker 1: We don't. But they think it's homicide at this point. They think now they can't prove that this girl died at the hands of someone. Now, all this might look bad, it might sound bad, but David is being defended and being defended strongly by his attorneys. Now you would expect that them to do their job, but they went even farther than they had to in their defense. Stay here, all right, We continue here on this Friday episode of Amy and TJ. Just getting word late yesterday that singer David has been arrested in connection with the death the murder of fourteen year old Celeste Reves Hernandez, who was found in the trunk of his tesla last September. Now, Robes, his attorneys did come out and put a statement. Look, they're doing their job. Of course, they're not just saying we'll wait and we're not going to do this in public. They have gone as far as saying he absolutely did not do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a pretty specific statement, standard defense attorney's statement. This actually got specific and I thought it was very interesting. So this was from David's attorneys following his arrest. Actual evidence in this case will show that David Burke did not murder celest Reves Hernandez and he was not the cause of her death.
Speaker 1: Robes, We hear a lot of statements. There's like defense attorneys defend their clients without going that far.
Speaker 3: Yes, it sounds like it sounds like to me they are setting up somehow she accidentally died, he panicked, he tried to remove her body and then got caught.
Speaker 2: That's what it sounds like. He's they're setting up rogues.
Speaker 1: In the past six months how many of those cases have we covered all of them? Didn't kill her, but had to chop her up after because I panicked.
Speaker 2: Correct, it sounds like that is what they are saying.
Speaker 1: Rose. I didn't think about that until you just said it. Yes.
Speaker 3: So they went on to say there has been no indictment returned by any grand jury in this case, and no criminal complaint filed. David has only been detained under suspicion. We will vigorously defend David's innocence.
Speaker 1: His innocence. Look, they those are strong words there. I don't know what they know for Roges. Again, they did not have to go that far in defensive him.
Speaker 3: That is true, and I think it's fair to point out too. As much as we've said we heard nothing from police, we heard from the investigators on this case.
Speaker 2: There were almost zero leaks. We also have heard nothing from David nothing.
Speaker 3: The only thing initially was an announcement or some statement by his rep saying that he was cooperating with police.
Speaker 2: Then about a month later.
Speaker 3: We got a statement from police saying David is no longer cooperating with police, and that was it.
Speaker 2: So this is the first blip.
Speaker 3: Of information we've gotten from the David camp at all.
Speaker 2: And as you say, it is a very strong.
Speaker 3: And very specific, specifically worded statement defending their client.
Speaker 1: I don't know how this one's going to be covered robes, celebrity trials. This guy is not the level of Ditty, he's not the level of Weinstein. He's not the I'm saying fame, He's not that. But this turns out now, given the victim robes, given the circumstances, given that he was on tool, given all of this stuff, this makes this an incredibly fascinating case that we are going now, this is going to become another one of these La Hollywood, this is crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh, this story has gripped the nation.
Speaker 3: It certainly gripped us because there are I think what we've talked about is nothing makes sense, and there are so many mysteries surrounding what their relationship was, how long it had been going on, what happened between the two.
Speaker 2: How did she die?
Speaker 1: That's my question.
Speaker 3: And then if he did or didn't have something to do with her death, why would anyone chop off a body and put it in a car and leave it to just sit in the sun in a car registered to a up and coming artist whose whole career and livelihood were in front of him with great promise.
Speaker 2: It's a crazy story that you cannot make up.
Speaker 3: If you got this script or you saw this movie, you would say, no, that doesn't make any sense, that would never happen.
Speaker 2: And yet here it is unfolding right before our eyes.
Speaker 1: Monday, we should know more. We're told the investigators will hand the case over to prosecutors who will determine what the next steps are, but he will remain in jail for now. I just want to hop on and give you this update here on this Friday morning, which is already shaping up to be a busy Friday. Top right corner of your Apple podcast app where you see our show page at button it says follow, click that subscribe and make sure you get all of our updates. We are what is this? Somebody said it the other day. We are running a two person news network over here, and there's been a lot of news lately, so appreciate you always sticking with us on TJ. Holmes on behalf of my dear Amy roboch. We will talk to y'alls