Speaker 1: Good morning, keeps, and welcome to wok F Daily with me your girl Daniel Moody Recording from the Home Bunker. Folks, I'm very excited to welcome back to okay F Daily our friend Glenn Kirshner. Glenn and I pre tape this ahead of today's court appearance by Donald Trump and Jack Smith before Judge chunkin to discuss a gag order. And in this conversation with Glenn, we go and we talk about all of Trump's legal woes, but in particular between what is happening in down in Georgia this month, as well as what will be happening as you're listening to this in Washington, d C. You know, and here's what I will say, folks, as you've been, you know, listening to the show. There are so many more important things that are happening in the world and in this country, but it is still really important to keep an eye on the person that ushered in this political healthscape that we are currently living with, where you know, lawlessness reigns supreme. And you know, again, while I recognize and you know, through the conversations that I have on this show and have stated, particularly over last week, that we know that there are more important things and more important places to be putting our energy. But it is important also to keep an eye on and a foothold in what is transpiring inside of our judicial system. For right now, it continues to hold and I'm just looking friends, you know, at the the Federal Circuit. I'm not even going to touch what is happening at the Supreme Court and what continues to happen there in that grifting, you know place. But how these judges move with regard to recognizing the threat and the danger to our country that Donald Trump continues to impose is going to be important because what they are doing is setting the stage for how we will measure things moving forward. And what we know is that Donald Trump has continued to break the rules, move the gold posts, understanding that the rules don't apply to him. And you know, you can look no further than George Santos right in Congress. You can look at Bob Menendez in the Senate. You can look at these people who have broken our norms right and broken the law and are currently indicted. But why did these people think that they could get away with certain behaviors and certain actions. Well because what's good for the goose is good for the gander, And so it's really important for us to keep an eye on what is happening and how our judiciary shakes out, because this is our last hold, you know, between this andful fledged authoritarianism. So what happens over the next several months and the course of twenty twenty four is going to have deep implications as to where this country ends up come, you know, a year from now, which, frankly, sometimes I do wish I had a crystal ball, But then sometimes I'm really glad that I don't, because a part of me doesn't want to know, but then a part of me wants to know. So I can tell us all how to prepare for what is coming next. But coming up next with this conversation is our friend Glenn Kirshner. Folks, it has been a while since we've had our friend MSNBC legal analyst and the host of Justice Matters, Glenn Kirshner on Woke a f Daily to give us a primer into where we are in the legal dull drums of Donald Trump. Glenn, let's start out with Georgia and what is transpired there, because Jim Jordan, who just well, as of this recording, has lost his bid to be the news speaker for the Republican Party, has been weaponizing his position as the chair of the House Judiciary Committee in many ways. But I would love for you to give us a primer into what he's been trying to do and what Fannie Willis has called him out on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, Danielle, I think we need to go back to Jim Jordan criminally defying a congressional subpoena himself. I mean, it is mind boggling to think that a member of Congress was subpoenaed to testify about incriminating information evidence about a president of the United States trying to overturn the results of a presidential election. Instead of providing that evidence to a Congressional committee and by extension, to the American people, he criminally defied the subpoena, thereby hiding from all of us the evidence of Donald Trump's January sixth crimes. That is something for which he has never been made to account. I hope the hell he is someday. But against that backdrop, he then tried to interfere, misuse his office and his power as chairman of the House Judiciary Committee to try to interfere in Alvin Bragg's prosecution up in New York. He didn't make a lot of headway there. Now he's trying to interfere in Fonnie Willis's RICO prosecution of Trump and others down in Georgia by basically demanding that she'd turn over all of the information and the documents and answer all kinds of questions about why she is choosing to prosecute somebody who violated the laws of the State of Georgia. He is abusing his position, his power, his authority. He, in my opinion, is very likely committing any number of crimes, including being an accessory after the fact to Donald Trump's crimes, because he's trying to help Donald Trump avoid and evade accountability prosecution. He's trying to cover up the evidence of Donald Trump's crimes. And it is mind boggling to me that the Department of Justice thus far has let him do it with impunity. So Fawnie Willis pushed back hard, sent the letter, i think her second letter just yesterday or in recent days, saying you either don't know, oh that the Constitution actually separates the powers of the federal government from the States, and you, mister fed have no right interfering in the state court prosecution of a criminal former president of the United States or anybody else. Either you don't understand the way the constitution works, or you're just affirmatively trying to obstruct justice and try to help Trump avoid accountability. Which is it? So she's not giving an inch, and now we have to see what the next move might be.
Speaker 1: So let's pretend for a moment that Jim Jordan isn't moving from a place of obstruction and malice and an accomplice after the fact, what authority and what position would he be coming from in order to demand information from the Fulton County DA on information on a case that is in Georgia. I just want folks to understand again, these are state crimes. Right that she has indicted Donald Trump and the other seventeen co conspirators on are state crimes. Jim Jordan is the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee. So tell me how this would make sense if, in fact, Jim Jordan wasn't just trying to obstruct the law, or is there an avenue for that to make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I'm creative enough to come up with a legitimate argument as to why this makes sense. Here is the best Jim Jordan has. He can say, you know, the prosecutor's office in Georgia receives some federal funds, some federal grants, some federal money, and in our oversight capacity, we want to question members or representatives of the Fulton County District Attorney's office just to make sure that these federal funds are being spent appropriately and aren't being you know, misallocated to bring an inappropriate prosecution against the former federal official. As those words come out of my mouth, I don't believe them because it's bs. But that really is the only sort of legitimate potential hook Jim Jordan can hang his hat on demanding information from Fawnie Willis.
Speaker 1: Now, because Jim Jordan has the ability to just ignore subpoenas apparently with and face no criminal responsibility or contempt or anything like that, tell us where what position Fannie Willis finds herself in. As she is putting out now her second letter essentially stating that you are acting in the way of obstruction to my case, what could possibly happen with her Yeah.
Speaker 2: So if I were Fannie Willis, I would be doing precisely what she's doing. I would be standing on the Constitution's separation separation of powers. Right. The Tenth Amendment says, the powers enumerated to the federal government are few, they are limited, and all of the other powers are reserved for the states or the people. And I would stand on that separation of powers. So here is the next play for Jordan. He can try to subpoena her, and if she refuses to comply, I don't know if he's technically issued a subpoena or they've just been sending letters back and forth at this point. And then if she refuses to apply and stands on the separation of powers as provided by the Constitution, he can then move it into court to try to have the court enforce the subpoena, which he did up in New York when Alvin Bragg told him to, you know, stick your subpoena, you know awhere, And then there was some negotiating and Alvin Bragg ended up presenting some information to Jordan and to his committee. So I assume this will probably move into the courts, and then we'll have to have a court decide if this is a righteous subpoena or if it's a violation of the separation of powers and the subpoena is being used nefariously by Jim Jordan to try to obstruct a state court prosecution.
Speaker 1: And what court would that go through? Would that be Georgia, would it be Washington d C. Where Jim Jordan supposedly is right as the chairman, Like, what circuit would that be moving through if he chooses to make that move.
Speaker 2: It's a great question. I think technically you might be able to bring it in both DC and in Georgia. But if we look at New York as a guide, I believe Jordan and the committee filed in New York because I know it was a New York State New York federal judge that took up the question of the enforceability of Jordan's subpoena when he was subpoenaing stuff from Alvin Bragg trying to interfere in the New York prosecution. So it may very well be a Georgia federal court will take this up if it if it gets that far.
Speaker 1: I mean, but you know, here's here's what I have seen at least outside of of the Cannon Court, is that you know, it is clear that these judges, regardless of who they've been appointed by, are really not interested in frivolousness, right, Like, so what what even if you know, let's let's shake the crystal ball for a minute, even if it were to go up through the courts, is there a strong enough case or does this look kind of like all of Donald Trump's attorney's attempts to slow things down or to obstruct where it's a waste of the court's time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question. I do think the courts have held strong on for example, all of the election challenges. They held strong when Judge Aleen Cannon literally abused her judicial authority. Not my opinion, that's what the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled. She abused her judicial authority and did an enormous favor for Donald Trump that the law did not allow. By and large, the federal courts have held fairly strong. I have a feeling though this is probably slightly different than Trump and his lawyers filing frivolous federal suits or cases. And here's what I predict will happen. Sort of much of what we saw in New York when okay, there was a little bit of negotiating, and ultimately Alvin Bragg provided some information, you know, probably that had something to do with federal money, federal grants, federal funds that were being used by the New York District Attorney's office, because that's actually a legitimate area for oversight. But we all know that's not what Jim Jordan is doing. Has Jim Jordan subpoena district attorneys from the other forty nine states to find out how federal funds and grant money are being used, of course not because they're not prosecuting his political benefactor, Donald Trump. So this is as transparent as it gets.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's shift gears now and move over to Jack Smith. Now, what we have seen of Jack Smith and his cases is that most recently, he is trying to present to Judge chuck In, who is overseeing the January sixth case, a potential gag order for Donald Trump, who let me just remark and say that if Donald Trum for anybody else other than a person with the name Donald Trump, Donald Trump would be in jail. He has threatened judges, he has threatened law clerks, he has threatened jurors, he has weaponized his social media platforms and put people in harm's way. There is no way that if he was not the former twice impeached president of the United States, that he would be out right now. So now here comes Jack Smith working to try and get a gag order. Talk to us about this, because what we've seen is these limited gag orders. Judge anger On, I feel like I'm maybe butchering his name put one in place, not for himself, but after Donald Trump posted the picture of his law clerk with Chuck Schumer. So what do you make of this?
Speaker 2: You know, it's about time somebody imposed a gag order on Donald Trump. And as much as I think in the moment, we were all celebrating the fact that some judge stepped up and tried to protect somebody from Donald Trump's dangerous, indeed often deadly rhetoric by imposing a gag order, there was a momentary celebration there. But Danielle, it highlights the extreme injustice and the unequal application of the rule of law. And here's how Donald Trump, as you just cataloged, has been endangering witnesses, grand jurors, prosecutors, judges, and all of their respective family members. And he's been doing it with impunity. But what happens when somebody close to a judge, somebody that a judge obviously feels very protective about his law clerk, gets put in harm's way by a Donald Trump instant gag order. Well, isn't it not? See I'm not laying into Judge Ngeron here because he did the right thing. But it highlights that if you're close to a judge, if a judge feels protective about you, in particular instant gag order, no motions and replies and oppositions and oral arguments and decisions, and written a snap gag order to protect somebody that the judge feels protective about. How about we feel protective regarding the witnesses Donald Trump is endangering every day and the jurors and the prosecutors and their family, just the way Judge Ngern felt protective of his law clerk. And how about we use the rule of law as it was intended to be used, and we gag Donald Trump from endangering all those other people who maybe aren't so close to the judge. You know, you can see that there's more injustice than there is justice right in this snap gag order that was issued by Judge Ngeround. But the silver lining, which I'm always looking for, and sometimes it's peeking out behind the big dark cloud that is Donald Trump, the silver lining is I think this will make it even easier for Judge Chuckkin on Monday. I'll be in the courtroom when this argument is held to impose a far more sweeping gag order. Because even after Jack Smith filed the motion with Judge Chuckin seeking a broader gag order, what did Donald Trump do said that one of the really compelling witnesses against him, General Mark Milly, should be executed Danielle. If a defendant on release in four felony cases ever threatened to witness, that person would be in pre trial detention so fast it would make their head spin. And this is the continued failure of our institutions of government to take responsibility for a president, former president, who continues to try to kill our democracy. And I wish I had an explanation for why we are allowing it to go.
Speaker 1: On, because, honestly, Glenn, I mean, I just want to remind folks, because you've talked about this for so many years on this show. But like you have prosecuted, you know, mob bosses, drug lords, you know, murderers. If any of those people involved in rico cases that you've tried over the last thirty years need any of the things that Donald Trump has done, stated said at rallies on social media, what would happen to that person?
Speaker 2: They would be in pre trial detention instantly. Because the standard to detain somebody pending trial if they're on release in a federal felony case is is there clear and convincing evidence that the person poses a danger to any person or to the community. The answer to that is a resounding yes. Donald Trump poses a danger to witnesses and judges and prosecutors and their family members and jurors and you name it. And so you know, anybody else, anybody else would be instantly pending trial. Not only that, he's also on pre trial release presently, and he has been violating the terms of his release with impunity. That's a reason to revoke his pre trial release. Separate and apart from whether he's a danger to the community and a flight risk, he is either unable or unwilling to abide by conditions of release. There are so many reasons to detain impending trial, not the least of which is it will end up taking away his megaphone. It will bring the temperature of the country down, It will give it will give the people some hope of a fair and impartial jury being impaneled to try the case against him. You know, and our system of government, our institutions, refuse to take responsibility and do what the law really demands. They're just ignoring it.
Speaker 1: I mean, Glenn, is it the belief then that the risk of putting Donald Trump in pre trial tension is greater than letting him be free? Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: It doesn't yet, But it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what the risk is because here and I agree with you, that there are people who are taking extraneous factors, factors that have nothing to do with the law and the facts. Extraneous factors. I often call it politics, but it's not really politics. It is perhaps, you know, national security, Like, won't people you know, flood the won't his supporters flood the streets and start shooting? Okay, here's the thing that would be horrific, And I don't ever want to see that happen in America. But it doesn't matter because you do not make prosecutorial decisions based on extraneous factors, because once you do, the rule of law means nothing because you're no longer applying it as it was intended to be applied. I'm not going to say I don't care if his supporters take up arms. I don't think they will because they are by and large weaken, cowardly people. Yes, some of them are well armed, but I don't think they're going to put them in themselves in harm's way if Donald Trump is detained pending trial. But we are putting the nation in harm's way if we don't apply the law as it was intended to be applied and detain Donald Trump pending trial.
Speaker 1: With a couple of minutes that we have left, you're going to be in court come come Monday, where Judge Chunkin will rule. Right, I'm assuming on whether or not to impose a larger, more encompassing gag order.
Speaker 2: And she may not rule instantly, Okay, listen to the arguments. She may take a couple of days, but she'll rule pretty promptly.
Speaker 1: So what would that can can you just walk us through what would be included in that gag order and then if broken, what would be what would be the penalty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suspect I obviously don't know how Judge chuck In will fashion any restriction on Donald Trump's speech and posts, but I suspect it will be you may not speak publicly or post publicly about witnesses, prosecutors, court or court staff family members in a way that good could be perceived as threatening, intimidating, harassing. And then she's going to have to fashion a number of restrictions to prevent him from infecting the jury pool, from continuing to flood the you know, the airwaves and continue to spew into the public square disinformation that you know, the people who are going to be jurors, they're absorbing it, they're hearing it, you know. And so she's going to have to find some creative way to limit Donald Trump's ability to poison the jury pool. And the other thing that was just taken up in a recent motion filed by Jack Smith is with respect to once the jurors come into the courtroom, the hundreds of them who are summoned into you know, for jury selection, what Donald Trump may not do. For example, this is what Jack Smith just filed emotion regarding they said. Look, you can look at social media and look at any publicly available information. For example, if jurors are posting publicly things about themselves, but you can't contact them, you can't communicate with them, you can't friend them trying to draw more information out of them. And you can't have your cruddy associates like Roger Stone and Steve Bannon and these other knuckleheads. You can't have them friend them or communicate them with them as your surrogates, et cetera, et cetera. These are perilous times for jurors as much as anybody else. So Judge Chuckin, who is up to the task. I used to try murder cases against her back in the day, and I've been in her court more recently as she's presided over Jay six cases. She's up to the task. But it's going to be challenging to fashion the kind of you know, narrowly tailored restrictions on his speech and his posts that will accomplish all of this, but that won't run a foul of the First Amendment.
Speaker 1: If this happens, Glenn, he violates it.
Speaker 2: He will violate then what well, Judge chuck In, don't play she will probably. Now let me tell you, in my experience, I have had lots of people violate conditions that were set by the court, both pre trial and like post trial when they were in a probationary status. Judges ordinarily like to give a defendant one stern warning, a good finger wag, and then says, if you do it again, here are the consequences up to an including you will be revoked on release and you will be detained pending trial. And it's in that way they basically put the keys to the jail cell in the defendant's hand, and they warn them, if you violate the condition one more time, I will lock you up. Your freedom is in your hands, not mine. I would suspect now there may be an intram money fine, which doesn't matter because he'll just grift more money from his base pay the fine. But I suspect that is the direction in which we're heading, and it's only a question of how quickly we get there. I do think, I do think there's a very real possibility that Donald Trump will end up in a jail cell, not just after he is convicted and sentenced, but while he is pending trial.
Speaker 1: And last question for you, last last question, the ordering of this actual trial happening. What are we looking at? It? Is it March? I forget?
Speaker 2: What is the March fourth? Yeah, March fourth, jury selection begins in DC. As of right now, May twentieth is the trial date for the document's trial down in Florida. But Trump's lawyers have been yelling and screaming and whining about wanting to continue that. We will see if Trump appoint e Judge Aleen Cannon caters and cowtows to Donald Trump and moves that trial date or holds fast with that May trial date. I don't think Judge Chutkin will move the March trial date. It might slip a couple of weeks if there are some exigent circumstances. But I think we're going to see a trial this winter into early spring, and that will result in Donald Trump's first criminal conviction.
Speaker 1: And we have Cheeseboro and Powell, and that is still slated for the end of this.
Speaker 2: Month, October twenty third, they begin jury' selection unless one or both of them plead guilty, and then the question is how many other defendants in that what started out as a nineteen code offend in case one pledged guilty recently, and he will undoubtedly testify against Sidney Powell because they were charged with some crimes in common. The question is how many more of these plea offers that we know Fannie Willis has extended to other defendants are accepted? Did how many defendants drop out, plead guilty, flip and cooperate, and how many are left to go to trial?
Speaker 1: All right, well, Glenn, we will leave it there today and hopefully get back to you soon to get a better sense. As the month goes on. In these the jury selection begins and chunk and rules to see where we land, and I hope it will land Donald Trump in prison. Let me just say that, but we appreciate you as always.
Speaker 2: Thanks Danielle.
Speaker 1: That is it for me today. Dear friends on woke a f as always, Power to the people and to all the people. Power, get woke and stay woke as fuck.