Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: We're this close to crowning and NBA champion. I like the Celtics, by the way. In six, Jalen Brown's going to be my MVP, and I love the Celtics in game one. But sign up ninety seconds put in the code Colins co l I N DraftKings sports book and official sports betting partner of the NBA. If you're a new customer, bet five bucks.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Just bet five bucks and you'll get one hundred and fifty bucks instantly in bonus bets. The code Colins co l I N shows them that you're a new customer to get one hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets only on DraftKings. The crown is yours. I'm leaning Celtics in six.
Speaker 4: Baby gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia, visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight open wired text ope and y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut, help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothill casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Voyd and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuans. See DKG dot co slash bball for eligibility and depositive restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: What's up, everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. The NBA Finals are here, best time of year and you know we here got some really special live episodes coming for y'all as a part of the NBA Final. Champs Only meaning if you're not a champ, I'm sorry, but you can't talk after the finals. I see some people be talking during the finals, and I'm like, you not a champion, So how are you talking during the finals. So this is Champs only. You can only be here if you're a champion. Today's episode is brought to you in part by High Price myself as a as a twelve year NBA veteran, you quickly realize that recovery is not the same. However, you get these young guys that come in and they talking and they yapping, and you want to perform at that level, you know, and for me. My normal tech Boost has been a huge part of my recovery. Carry them on the road, always got them with me, and hyper Rice has made that even easier with the Norman Tech Elites. They've dished all of the extra hoses and control units from the old model. This one is fully self contained with a small set of buttons to select your compression level. Super easy to travel with and to get set up after a hard workout or after a game after a hard work day.
Speaker 3: Not just for athletes, by the way.
Speaker 1: And on top of that, the Norman Tech Elite packs four hours of battery life, which is enough juice to get full leg ress cycles in before games, after games, on the on the plane, after work, before work, before.
Speaker 3: Your workout, whatever works for you.
Speaker 1: And as I said, it's not just for pro athletes, so everyone, you can get your hands on knees to help with your recovery, increasing your circulation and reducing the swelling in the lower body. So shop all your warm up and recovery needs at hyperice dot com. Use code Draymond for fifteen percent off of your order today.
Speaker 3: Exclusions apply.
Speaker 1: And now it's time to welcome our first guests of Champs only and as I said, you can only be here if you're a champion. This guy happens to be a three time champion, as he just said before we got on here. Warriors fans are not happy that he's the first guest on Champs. Only he beat us in the champ Being ship, and I am honored to welcome none the other three time champion, Danny Green.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the show, my brother.
Speaker 5: I appreciate you, man, I appreciate you having men. I'm glad that there's some type of love on that side of the coast.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess in the Bay Area.
Speaker 5: And I was asked earlier today, I was doing a radio hit, like there's any organization that hates you, and I couldn't think of one until you tweet. They tweeted out that I was on your show, and I'm like, damn, I know there's only one organization bro that The fans are like, nah, they ain't messing with it. So but you know, I understand, you know, I get it. Five years ago, I was hoping some of them forgot about it or let it go. I'm not a dirty place. I can't imagine how it is being the villain every night, in every arena, So a lot of flowers. Kudos to you, brother, because I just have one organization. That's because I was thinking about teams where I've left and they might have booed me, and actually they all received me pretty well. But the only one that that does not like me that much at all is Golden State fans. But you know, I still a lot of love to the fans everywhere.
Speaker 1: So love brother, And you know, for us there's no love loss. Obviously, we know you're not a dirty player. Plays happen, bro, when you're competing on an NBA finals level, on a championship level, I get it, Like two points changes everything. And by the way, you know unfortunate. You know that Clay got hurt, like love Clay to death, and like none of us are ever trying to hurt anybody. It's very unfortunate. But like basketball is also very much so a game of interest, just like football. And if you come up with that block, what it does for y'all from a momentum standpoint in a game where we really had the momentum, What that does for y'all from a momentum standpoint, if you get that block, it changes everything for sure.
Speaker 5: I mean you know how you know how critical everything matters man, from moose balls to down the floor block still and today's game and we're going to get to that. There's a lot of guys, a lot of plays that stuck out to me that started the momentum for Boston. And it wasn't necessarily the stars, you know, you know, I'm watching the others and I'm sure you are too, but I really think Al Horford kind of set the tone for them tonight, and he's the one that came out first basket dunk, hit three ball, and then I think everybody kind of follows Suit Howser another guy hitting three ball. Timely you get up that Bixi Dallas found something. They cut it to eight, but those guys set the tone.
Speaker 6: Then.
Speaker 5: Of course Porzingis was just unbelievable. Night's first game back in weeks, a couple of months so. But it was an interesting game to watch, and I think it's gonna be.
Speaker 6: A fun series. I can't wait to see what comes next.
Speaker 1: It was a very fun serious. I think it's going to be a very fun serious. It's very fun game to watch. I one thing that I want to keep my eye on is Porzingis, And the reason I want to keep my eyes on Porzingius is like that first game back, like you riding a high e bultions through the roof, you feeling good, like adrenaline crazy. After that, when you no longer can ride off the emotions and you got to ride off of the work that I put in. Not saying he hasn't put the work in, but your work has been limited reason reason you've been out, you know, and so when you then got to rely back on that and not necessarily the juice of like I'm back out here.
Speaker 3: I want to see how he responds. You know how that comes.
Speaker 1: About, you know, yeah, because that's gonna be like he was huge for them tonight.
Speaker 5: I know, I know you got a Boston fan on staff there. They played well tonight. Hell of a win for him, but Dallas found some things. I wouldn't be too confident after watching Tians get I didn't have a great game, and I don't think the energy said Zink is gonna be able to sustain that. Like you said, everybody has their group chets, everybody's playing GM, everybody's watching and criticize, and they're like yore Porzingis had a hell of a game.
Speaker 6: But there's no way he can sustain that. There's no way you can keep that.
Speaker 5: Energy yet three in the first quarter, and that's where I was watching more so is what he's gonna do with defenseven and.
Speaker 6: He stopped the lob for Dallas. You know, that was a key thing for Dallas.
Speaker 5: And you know Kai and Luca weren't able to get to the room as easy or you know, find Lively and Gaffer for lobs. That's a big change. But I think Dallas is gonna They're gonna find something. Jk is gonna find something. They they still they switched, They didn't trap as much. I didn't see many of that. Both teams switched and they're gonna take advantage of that. Luca took him a quarter to settle in, but once he settled in, he's he's found, so he knows where he's at now. Kyle just has to settle once that happens. So we're gonna have a series. Man, It's gonna be a real series.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, you know.
Speaker 1: Funny enough, I I thought in my prediction, I said that Dallas will lose this game. And the reason I thought that they would lose this game was because the Celtics, like and I played against this team this year.
Speaker 3: There their lanth and you've played against them through the years.
Speaker 1: That the lane like Jason Tatum is sixteen, Jay Brown at six eight, Drew Is six ' five, Derek White six ' five, Al har for sixteen sixty eleven. When you have that much length on the floor, there's no gaps, right, and they switched, they load up right when you Portzinga is seven feet even Sam Hopkson come off the bench six ' nine. Like the only guy that they play that's under six five it's Peyton Prescher and he don't play much. When you have that type of length and you can speak to it like that was kind of our team for all those years. That was your team in Toronto. You Kawhi only guy that played though smaller than that, Fred and Fred and Differenty'll play way bigger than his size, right, Like, but you got Pascal, you got you, you got Bouchet, like.
Speaker 5: Kwan marcasol normal, we had o g didn't even play. We had og on that roster, but we had a we had a really good defensive squad and we figured it out. But like you said that that that defensively, they have a lot of length. The only thing with Boston I said, I'm not confident because you know, they live and die by the three.
Speaker 6: They came out, they came out.
Speaker 5: Very hot, and they're always gonna have a game or two where it's gonna be it's gonna be dry, you know what I'm saying, They're gonna be cold. So when that happens, we're gonna see if that defensive Porzingis can continue to protect the rim and if they can stay in a game. But ultimately they're gonna drop a game or two just because they they're not gonna shoot well. And then if Dallas can steal a game or two a game or so just because they you know, play well and they limit them.
Speaker 6: This is gonna be a six to seven game series.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: That's what we've been looking for for a while, because you know, Finals hasn't been Actually no, I'm tripping. Finals have been pretty good since she won six games before that it went to you know, six.
Speaker 6: Games, so it's been pretty good. It's a good matchup for sure.
Speaker 3: So tell me this.
Speaker 1: So coming into this game as a coach, when you get to this level and you know it, you gotta pick something that's gonna beat you, and it is very evident what Boston said today is gonna beat us, meaning Luca, we not helping on your drives.
Speaker 3: We forced you to dry and were not helping take the layup.
Speaker 5: You're gonna have to score seventy or sixty sixties. So go ahead, try to beat us by yourself.
Speaker 1: One assists, Luca has that's unheard, Luca god won assist. Do you think that game plan from Dallas, I mean, excuse me, from Boston where they can where they kept those other guys out tonight and gave up what they gave up to Luca, do you think that continues to work or what would your adjustment be if you're the Dallas Mavericks on how to get the other guys involved.
Speaker 6: You know, we were talking before you got on.
Speaker 5: You were saying how blowouts are never a good thing and never advantage for the team that won, because a lot of times you just don't make the adjustments. You're like, oh, worked, but you should have a backup because obviously the team that lost is gonna make plenty of adjustments, and you need to make sure you have adjustments for their adjustments.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's gonna work. It worked early.
Speaker 5: Jaylen Brown played great defense early first first half, fucking Luca a couple of times, making a physical al Horford even contested to block the shot or two. Like, that's not gonna be sustainable for the seven game series. Al Horford and those guys switching on to Kai and Luca is not gonna work.
Speaker 6: I think they're gonna have to change up.
Speaker 5: Once Luca gets going early, They're gonna probably try to trap himself if Kai gets in the rhythm.
Speaker 6: Ky just had a very off night, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like, when you have to both those threats going, the other guys are just gonna open up. You can't just stay home and let those guys kill because they will kill you and they.
Speaker 6: Can win games.
Speaker 5: It reminds me of to bring not to bring back bad memories for you guys, but when Bron and Kai, you know, you don't see that often when guys two guys.
Speaker 6: Can beat you.
Speaker 5: In fact, they did it, and then these two guys have the talent enough to beat you with just those guys. So ultimately, I think Boston isn't to have an adjustment. They're not probably gonna make it right now or right away. It might take a loss to figure that out, but you don't want to take a loss going back to Dallas.
Speaker 6: I'm saying you want to be one one going into Dallas.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, No, I agree. One, Like, you can tell Kyle was having an off game. Ky dribble the ball off his shoot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ky don't lose the balls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like so you could tell it was off.
Speaker 1: And I think for him too, Like for him, I think also he has to make the emotional adjustment, right, Like you go back in this place, NBA Finals where they were expecting you to bring them to NBA Finals. Now you going back there, Like what's that like emotionally going back to a place where you've played and and like this is the NBA Finals, so this isn't even different thing. Like I think he has to adjust emotionally as well.
Speaker 5: It's and this is why I was like, it depends on what And we look at Kayle like, you know, Kay is great, And I'm like, even though Kay is Kay is one of the strongest mentally mental, you know, tougher guys in the league. No matter who you are, going back to a place you played before, it is not easy emotions. Just you just never know how it's gonna turn out. And you've never experiencedfore and I hope you never have to. But if you leave a place and you've been there for a long time and you go back and try to play that even if they don't bow you. Because we went back when I was with Kawhi and Toronto, they bowed the hell out of Kawhi.
Speaker 6: They cheered for me. They still cheer for me, which was which was cool.
Speaker 5: But I don't think I've ever had a I haven't had a good game in San Antonio since I left there.
Speaker 6: You know, it's just not easy to do. And it's just like adrenaline.
Speaker 5: It might take it the wrong we might shoot too much, you know what I'm saying, Like, you just never know how the emotions are gonna make you play it make maybe you play really well. I feel like there's no in between. You're gonna play really good or shitty, it's gonna be a really bad game. So I've had some good games against San Antonio at my home teams arena, but just not in San Antonio. And it's just one of those places it's just hard to settle in. It's hard to feel comfortable or you feel too comfortable.
Speaker 6: It's like them.
Speaker 5: I don't know why shots aren't dropping, but I knew it was gonna take him a game or a quarter at least. I have to like let those emotions kind of still settle. Even though it's been removed, still didn't leave in a great way. And I can't imagine playing your former team on this stage of how hot you know you want to do, You want to do well so badly that it you know it may counter right, like be kind of productive, may affect you differently. So either way, it's a I think Ky's gonna settle in. He'll be fine, but it's just not an easy place or easy situation to be in.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 5: And I said, I hope you never get have to experience it, because it's it can get ugly for you and you'd be like, damn, you be thinking about it all night, all day, all year. And then said, CON's mentally tough. He'll bounce back, but you just never know.
Speaker 3: I got my fingers crossed. I hope never.
Speaker 1: You know. It just dawned on me and thinking about you fucking beat me in the NBA five, I mean in the NCAA championship too.
Speaker 3: I just thought about that.
Speaker 6: We've been we go back, We go back, Bro, we go back in some time. We go back some time.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 5: Since college, Yes, I've been fortunate enough to have some really good teams and some good teammates that I had, Tyler, I had, Tye had Wayne, you know what I'm saying. And then so when I was in San Antonio, y'all were like, said, of course, you know, Steve came from there, Mike Brown came from there. So y'all were like a little brother. And eventually it's only be a matter of time before y'all start kicking ass. And we knew it, and we got old, we got older, and then you know, yeah, y'all playing five out, y'all changed the whole league to small ball, and it was like, Damn, I don't think we can I don't think we played Timmy in the series. Don't think we could play Timmy the series. We had to sit them, and yeah, we had a chance. We had a shot that y'all got kd We had Marcus and why and then why when he had the ankle go down, it was over for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're going back from for some time.
Speaker 5: Now, Bro, fifteen years now, fifteen sixteen years we've been competing.
Speaker 3: Bro, It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Do you do you still wish to play right now? Or like, do you think this is it for you? You just by the way you do it? In credit, I enjoyed watching you on TV.
Speaker 3: Bro. I appreciate you job and.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, like you don't need that from me, but I just enjoy watch I fucking hate watching a lot of people on TV, but I really enjoy watching you on TV.
Speaker 5: As much as I'm not a fan of dupe guys, there's certain guys that are good on TV, and JJ was one of them because he backs us, you know what I'm saying. And I always like make sure that we you know, we can criticize guys, but not tear him down. And regardless of that, you know, I want to if I can criticize it. I want to be able to do that and be in that space. And I still have a lot to learn. I'm learning from everybody when I do it, even you.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying. You handle yourself very.
Speaker 5: Well, bro, And for me, it's like I know, I got to slow down. I talk too slow, I talk too fast. I got to slow down. I got to be louder, try to make some good points, like you're really good at that, grabbing the viewers attention, making some good points, you know what I'm saying, dropping some bars, dropping some gems. People like oh Joe Dre got some bars with them, know what I'm saying. So I'm learning from everybody. So it's it's been great for me. It's a new challenge. People don't understand how different it is and it can be fun, but also how it's not easy.
Speaker 6: You know, it's not easy to do with people are doing it.
Speaker 5: So much respect to all those guys that do it at a high level and grab people's attention and do and said do as a profession. So now for me, man, I'm still trying to hoop. Bro just unfortunate. This year I was with Philly training Camp. I thought I had a really good training camp and to me, it showed me that like I could still hoop.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It was like.
Speaker 5: The training camp was like, yeah, I still belong here, I still can hoop. I still play. But James wanted out. Trade happened. They brought in more guys and they sent out and my contract wasn't guaranteed. You know, me and Daryl had a situation whatever, So they were talking about Nick Nurse wanted to bring me back. It just didn't happen. But I feel like I have another, you know, a few years left, a couple of years left to hoop, you know, because I can do TV anymore. We can do that. We're forty fifty years old, and I thought about it. Now something comes along where it's like, all right, they give me a deal or a certain type of network. It's like we want you and they like to hang it up. It's going to take some more. But like I'm not married to the NBA. If I really want to play valleto the conversation with the wife but just had a little one. If she wants to play and she's okay with travel because going somewhere else, to another country, I don't know. But it's like, yeah, we only got two more years, maybe three more years left to this of hooping, and might.
Speaker 6: As will make the most of it.
Speaker 5: If you want to live in a nice country, it has to make sense though, if I go overseas, it has to be a really nice country where you're living well. But if not give another shot here, play, see what happens. But you know, ultimately transitioning man, just just adapting tojustin and learning the media game and you know, making sure that I have something because I'm not going to be one of those type of guys work. I mean, we all we all want to save to where we don't have to work. But I just can't see myself sitting at home and not doing a damn thing, saying, I gotta be doing something, bro. Got to find a purpose other than you know what I'm saying with the kids and coaching them, of course, but I can't just be at home and being a house dad or a house husband. But yeah, ultimately I still want to play. Hopefully somebody will give me another opportunity, another shot. But if they were to see me playing and see me work out, they'd be like, you know what, he's still he can still hoop, he can still move, and I think I could help a team, but not I'm.
Speaker 6: Healthy, bro, I think I'm two years out now.
Speaker 5: I was pretty I felt really healthy this past year to it was a training camp of Philly went really good. Okay, but yeah, just the luck of the I mean, cars didn't play out that way. You know how teams with the taxes, the cap, you know, teams are scared. People don't want to go into the bratle you know, the second second apron whatever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just a lot of that.
Speaker 5: The politics come into play, so you know just how it plays out sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt, I respect that. Man.
Speaker 1: A lot of people don't understand, like they're like, oh, you, your contract would be this, Like I've been in the league this amount of years, so my number looks different than the guy if you bring in in their second year, that number looks totally different than what it does for the cap.
Speaker 3: People don't understand that.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, man, like he can't hoop number, Like, no, he can't hoop for sure, Like and they don't understand the numbers, like how it works and the taxes and stuff.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 5: Just I pray that you don't well you can't fight getting old, but just don't ever get hurt.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: When you get hurt in your old the league just.
Speaker 5: They forget about you or they just like, ah, you know, your time is up. They ain't kind of really messing with it. They'd rather find a younger guy groom them. And they said it's cheaper so they cheaper than younger. But yeah, man, I hope you don't have to. But I feel like for everybody it's it's always like a culture shock, trying to figure it out, trying to navigate me. And you were kind of, you know, tapping into other things. But most guys don't know what to do after. That's a fact and a lot of things people were taking your your statement out of context. I feel like when you're talking about, you know, the league doesn't really set us up to be wealthy after you know, you talk about the fines and things like that. I think it's more so like that type of situation, but also the lifestyle doesn't set you up for you know what I'm saying. I think that's more of the point that people are missing. It's like you're making a lot of money, but when you make a lot of money, ultimately your bills are just can become more Naturally, you make five million dollars a year, you're going to have five hundred thousand dollars bills, maybe a million. If you make ten million dollars, it's gonna be a million or two million. You make twenty you probably have like two or three million dollar bills. Now, you may save up forty fifty when you're done. But if you don't work and you got three million dollar bills per year, your bills are three million dollars per year. You got ten twenty years to make it last. As about it, you still got lived to eighty. You know what I'm saying. But everybody else you don't realize. You have to get a job to at least cover the bills. Get another job where at least covers two three million. You can let that save if you want generational wealth for your kids to have it. You know, you find a job to cover the bills. But a lot of guys don't prepare for that, so they don't have a job when they're done to cover the bills. Ultimately, they're not broke, but it's only a matter of time before that money runs out in about ten years.
Speaker 6: And you know, you don't hit you until you're done playing.
Speaker 5: You like, you realize how expensive shit is, Like, Damn, that wasn't expensive when I was playing, But when I'm done playing, the checks ain't coming. Damn Fuck that costs that much. When you're trying to budget, it's a different thing, man. So I'm glad I'm going through it. I'm glad I'm learning it as I'm then, I was prepared for a vets that taught me like, yo, try to tap into this and have other things to fall back on. And I have a lot of opportunities. People called like seeing if I wanted to do coaching interviews and I'm like, yeah, I'm not ready yet do media. So yeah, I've been blessed man to be around some great people and some good organizations that give me opportunities for after basketball as well.
Speaker 1: No doubt, man, that's great to hear switching gears a little bit as a player who's, like you said, you know, want to do it, still can do it, probably will still continue to do it, but it's closer to the end than you are the beginning as I am, and and understanding as a former player, the opportunities that we have. What was your thoughts on the Lakers the rumors that the Lakers zeroing in on JJ Reddick, former player, you know, just like more former players getting these these coaching jobs and being in and running for these jobs. What was your thoughts on Jj? You mentioned them being you know with that report coming.
Speaker 5: Out, Yeah, I mean I like JJ. I think we all respect to what he does for us in the media. You know what I'm saying, He does a great job. I think he has a great basketball mind.
Speaker 6: You know the reports are going around now.
Speaker 5: Dan Hurley is another candidate, But I think JJ does deserve a coaching job. I don't know if I would like that one for him. You know, the Lakers' job is a tough one.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: People think you know your tough mental player, kid, coach, whatever. You're like, you know I could do anything. I've been through the ring. You know I can handle it. I'll be fine. So you get in there. That ring is a different type of ring. And I've seen certain guys, even the most tough. It's got Russell Westbrook. There's not a guy that I know in this league that is tough mentally than him.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: That carries that confidence chip on his shoulder night and night out. Don't give a damn with who says anything. And he went to LA and he just looked like a different person. And I'm like, damn, those lights are different, that organization, those fans are different. It can change you, It can kind of break some people, and it can make a break your career and that's your first coaching job for Jjm's like, I don't know if that's the first one I want to get into, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: But I think it's I think it's a good high. I think it's dope.
Speaker 5: Ibouls see some conflicts with JJ and Bron having the podcast. You know, they're not sure if you don't get the respect in the locker room. If Bron respects him, everybody else should. I think everybody else respects you. Even as a player. He was a really good player. He's a great player, and he's so good at what he does media wise, he's you know, people kind of forgetting how good he was as a player. That's how good he is as a media hit. But yeah, I think it's a good I think he's a good higher anywhere. But I just for JJ. I think it's gonna be tough, and if i'm him, I don't know if I want that to be my first one. I don't know what your thoughts on it, if you have any other better candidates, and whose assistant coaches over there? Y'all have some good assistants over there, Like is this somebody you think would fit better.
Speaker 3: And I think JJ would do a great job.
Speaker 1: And I think you know, with the report that him and Brian have, Like, at the end of the day, no coach in the NBA is successful without.
Speaker 3: The back end of their best player.
Speaker 1: Like if their best player on the back there, that coach ain't going to be successful. So I think with their report that they have, I'd imagine that Brian, you do a podcast with this man, I'd imagine you respect them, you respect this basketball mind, you respect all those things. So to your point, if you know, you know, if that's the case, then I think that ultimately helps where I think the business of the NBA happens. It's like when you see people don't understand the dynamic of having multiple stars, right yeah, And the dynamic of having multiple stars can be different. So there could be a dynamic where JJ, like Bron loves JJ and.
Speaker 3: Wants him as the coach.
Speaker 1: Anthony Davis is a totally different start that may want something else. I don't notice to be facts. I'm just saying how the dynamics could work. Because for me, when I see Dan Hurley all of a sudden come out of nowhere like he's their guy, their reporting, they're flying them out to LA like just a day ago they were zeroing in on JJ.
Speaker 3: Raight.
Speaker 1: Now, yes, these are reports, but this is Sham's reporting, Like this ain't Fox News or like, yeah, this is Sham's reporting. And so you know when he reports, when Woldes reports and holds water, that's a different thing like that, like they know what and so for that to come out one day and then the next day, it's like damn Hurley to me, like how does that change that fast?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And I just sit back and I'm like, WHOA, Maybe this happened because I do understand dynamic of stars in the NBA for sure.
Speaker 5: It's interesting also because I feel like we came in at a similar time. Early on, social media wasn't as big when we first got into the league.
Speaker 6: It grew, and.
Speaker 5: Certain things that were reported did not affect how people coached, how people traded, gms looked at things. You can see now how the media is huge and it can get into locker rooms, it can get into organizations. I think when they put out the JJ thing, they didn't like the responses that they got and people were like, what the hell is this serious? I thought this was a joke or you know who's gonna brought Like they probably saw a lot of negative heat and was like, are you not vetting anybody else? Is in no better candidates? I like James Barrego, I had him in San Antonio, JB good people's everybody else that is really good has a job already or has been picked up, so it's not a lot of options. I think this was, I want to say, like a cover up, but it was something like, all right, we gotta do we gotta do some other research and see other options. Now does Dan take the job?
Speaker 6: I don't. I don't think he does.
Speaker 5: I don't think it makes sense for Lea Yukon, especially if he can get extended there for the same amount of money and stay in Connecticut, because it's a tough situation.
Speaker 6: But you know, who knows.
Speaker 5: I thought that, you know, maybe Kentucky would have threw some money at him when you know Cale left for Arkansas. But yeah, he's got to pick up. Literally, he's in a really good situation and he can do whatever he wants to do. I don't know if he would take the Lakers job, but I think this is just them kind of like seeing the response they got from the media and like, all right, we gotta kind of see you see what else is out there and see what the see what the response is from Like Dan Hurley, what do they think of that? I'm people like, Oh, this is a probably really good candidate because JJ, even though he's really great, he's never coached before, you know what I'm saying, Like, it's like we've kind of forget that you would think that yet because of how smart he is and how he knows the game, how he talks in the media.
Speaker 6: It's like, Yo, he's really good. He's really never coached before.
Speaker 5: And fact for him, I wouldn't want that that job for him, having to manage that locker room with egos and that nature. I have a couple of questions for you, like what do you think outside of coaching, what pieces do you think they need the Lakers, Yeah, to like make because I thought they had great foundation. I thought it worked. Obviously, they match up with Denver, which is not the best matchup for them, but I feel like any of the series they could win or beat teams. But obviously they're missing some pieces. So you keep a D and Brown. What moves they talk about Trey Young they talk about the John say, Murray, what do you think they should do? Or make put your GM out on what do you if you're the Lakers, what do you do? Coaching wise and players wise?
Speaker 1: I think any young guard they can get would be like what helped that team because for them, if you got like a Trey Young or de Johntay Murray with the back end of Bron and eighty, like, that's a totally different thing. And that young guard is in point guard in Bron's point guard school because Bron is a point guard point guard. He's been a point guard his whole life, right, So not only with their skill, you know, and you know whoever that young guard can be. It don't have to be a Dejohntey or Trey that's just the names you mentioned. But like any young guard, you have talent, you have skill, your dynamic in the way that these young guards are in the NBA and you get to go to bron point guard school and you get to play with one of the best bigs in the NBA and Anthony Davis, like you and I both know, for a long time, teams were built in the NBA on having a great guard and a great big and you feel everything else out in between. Then it starts changing with like us, but you're starting to see that shift back again, like that is starting to shift back to like.
Speaker 6: It's just a different big now. It's like a check type of big now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And so with that shift kind of happening, like so now you say you got a great big and Anthony Davis, and you get you got like a guard young guard that can go to Lebron James point guard school. Oh and by the way, you still got Lebron James who can get great at any moment. Don't don't gotta beat there all the time. He's in your twenty seven like, but can get be great in the blink.
Speaker 3: Of an eye in any moment.
Speaker 1: You need in between that, Like, I think that's I think that's that's dangerous and none of us will want to see that, you know. So I think, you know, I think they you know, it's going to be interesting to see what they do.
Speaker 3: But if I'm not mistaken, little Rule, they.
Speaker 5: Got, they got pieces, they got stuff they can do. Ultimately, I think they need to start preparing for the future. And that's if Anthony Davis stays there. They do need somebody to replace Bron instead of a guard that's a young guard that can kind of do some of the similar things or give you that type of dynamic of the you know, the one two punch.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it's gonna be interesting. Man, it's a tough job.
Speaker 5: I'm glad I don't have it being that GM, but I also have incredible job though he's been doing this thing man, big shout out to him. But I do have one other question for me to take off your podcast. I love, but for you guys, man, I think you guys are still a contender. You keep the group that y'all have together. What is it you think that y'all were missing this year? Obviously you had some ups and downs, you being in now some injuries. What do you what changes do you think you might need to make or what you think you need to do for y'all to get back to where y'all work for next year.
Speaker 1: Like I think for us, like it's going to be very important for us to define who it is that we're gonna be Like, like we change him, bro, Like like you said, we get older, Like we are not the same basketball team that we were in twenty nineteen or even in twenty twenty two for that matter, Like, yeah, it changes, you know what I'm saying, And I think, you know, we're adjusting to that change, which is which is great. Like Steve, I think Steve is doing an incredible job of where he's becoming more open to like Jonathan Kaminga having the ball more like Kaminga being in the pick and roll and like running some ISOs for Kaminga, whereas you know, it takes some time to adjust to that when you've had the level of success that we've had doing what we've done, like, it takes some time to adjust to that. And it also takes you know, everybody want to come in and do things right away. And I think what Kaminga end up learning. And I commend him. I commend the young fella because he's stuck with it. Is you come in and you're looking at like a Jalen Green or one of those guys that's in Houston or you know, in one of those places that you know they got in, they got the ball right.
Speaker 3: Away and do what the hell they wanted to do.
Speaker 1: It right and you look at that and you like, man, I want to you know, I want to show what I can do and you don't realize. And like I said, this is this is no knock on Jonathan Minga. That's my young fellow. I love him to death. And again I'm crediting him. You don't realize that. A. When I'm in a great situation, respect is earned. B. They've done things a certain way, and it saw me to show them that doing this work my way where I can be successful, will work for them and they should do that. And you know, when I watched the young fella's growth is for a little while, it was up and down because I don't think he understood that. And by the way, how do you understand that without going through it? And then I think it clicked for him. Let me do the things that I need to do to get on the court. Once I'm on the court, I can then do a little more of what I know I'm capable of doing. Oh and by the way, when I do that, now, all of a sudden, Steve Kirk trust me. And I scored twenty points in seventeen eighteen straight games in a row because he trusts me.
Speaker 3: Oh, look how that works.
Speaker 1: And so I think you know that has helped like young guys, you know, we got the young guys coming along.
Speaker 3: And VP and Trace.
Speaker 1: Like I think as the year went on, you started to see, like, man, Trace is a real live threat. You know, we went through the early part of the year without necessarily having a live threat, you know what I'm saying. And me and lou Me and Lune got a certain chemistry that's great.
Speaker 3: I love playing with Kavan Looney man, you.
Speaker 1: Know, but like with the lead changing and getting bigger, we ain't that athletic together. You started to see, all right, you know, they start like separating me and Lune, like, all right, I'm in the lineup when I'm out, los in the lineup.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, loos in when.
Speaker 1: I'm out the game, looning Because you just start to see the league's changing, and so then all of a sudden, incorporate that young live threat, and that changes our offense, it changes our defense, and things start to change it. So I think for us it is just important for us to shore up. I always tell people, and you know it, Championships are one six through ten, yeah, and championships are not one one through five, And so it's just on us to shore up and make the decisions of what does our six to ten look like? You know, what does our one to five look like? Does that mean, Draymond, you're out of the start lineup and cominga's in? Although I think comingas are better three than necessarily a four. Right, But like, these are the decisions that we have to make. And you know, like you said, I'm happy I ain't got the job. It's all those things. But Steve's great in those situations. I think he'll make them. I think Mike's doing a great job. It'll be very important for us to try to get Klay back, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I think, you know that's huge. What what does Clay do?
Speaker 1: If Clay decides not to come back, then what does that look like for us?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Like are you swinging to try to get another big guy?
Speaker 3: Like? What does that look like? And so it'll be weird.
Speaker 1: I just think there are some decisions that have to be made for us, and I trust and know that our front office and our coach staff will make the right decisions. But I think we still got a small window to make something happen.
Speaker 3: And you know, I know this.
Speaker 1: Organization will honor Steph and myself and Clay I know they'll honor us in that way of giving us every chance they can to help us win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dunleavy's done a great job, man, So it's Steve. I love what they've done. I said, it'd be weird to see Clay in another uniform. I hope he doesn't leave. It'll just be weird. And as much as I fucking hate y'all winning so much and competing agains y'all, it's just weird to see a group like that special to have to break up because of you know, some other things.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the end.
Speaker 5: Of the day, ultimate when we talk about the young guys that do I hope y'all keep your core. You said, filling in with some pieces, because if y'all just stay consistent and healthy, y'all just had some and like y'all would definitely playoff team. It's just getting back to the level of contention, and if y'all are healthy, I think y'all can compete with any like any given night, like y'all can win a series of beat a team four games, just finding the right pieces, and said a lot of young guys don't understand, which I like so much. Derek Lively, is that you don't have to do what Jalen Green does to show your value. What I'm saying, Kaminga, It's like, yo, people, you don't have to do all those things.
Speaker 6: People know how valuable you are.
Speaker 5: You can still do the other things since baby steps, work your way in, work your way up. But just because you're not you don't have to do that, and you can still make a lot of money because people can see that in you before you have to show it. They can see you can grow into that and then eventually let you get there. You just how to kind of wait, wait your turn, wait your time. But you can still be valued by doing what you're you're good at first and then kind of opening, you know, get stepping outside the box and then you know, adding some more things to the bag. But yeah, the value is not on you know, let me let me show what I can do and show the world or the fans.
Speaker 6: You don't have to do that, dude.
Speaker 3: It's only a couple of guys they're gonna let do that.
Speaker 5: It's like two percent if that one percent of guys in the league is gonna do that, and you can get there at some point. You'll get there, but ultimately just win. Do what you're supposed to do to feed your him. You'll show your value by doing that, you'll keep getting paid and getting years in the league, and then you get to that level. But that's why I like Derrick Lovy so much. A lot of guys on Dallas, and I think they have a really good shot because guys know their roles very well and know it early, and they're not tripping about having to be that guy yet that's the fact.
Speaker 1: No, we got a young guy like that also, where like I think he actually made it very tough on our coaches this year because when he plays, he plays well Moses. Moses plays like that.
Speaker 6: I like this game.
Speaker 1: I'm like, sure, well compete, defend, you know, but like, as you know, it's a numbers game, and sometimes the numbers don't fall your way. But like you keep going back to this dude because you know every time he produced, the numbers just don't always fall your way. And that's like a young guy who like even with Moses, right, Like, you're at that positioning in the young guy's careers where like you have to make those decisions and I think making those decisions help because it's like, you know what Moses is our guy in the lineup. And when you start solidifying that stuff, it really helps to growth. And so you know Moses, I love Moses. That's my young show.
Speaker 6: But nah, man, that's a huge back.
Speaker 5: And you're encouraging young players because you know young rookies are just that's the big confidence is of making breaking them in the league. And you have the right coaching staff behind you, the right group behind you, right vets.
Speaker 6: I think he's in a good spot, man. So it's traits. I think.
Speaker 5: I think my younger brother played with Trace at Iu. So you haven't seen any play for a while, but they're in a good spot man, because you said, I see a lot of young guys, man, and they have the potential to be so great.
Speaker 6: They're just in the wrong organization with no.
Speaker 1: Vets and the organization it's always not the play.
Speaker 5: So and I don't want to point out any organizational players, but it's like it is a lot of talent here. He's just not getting groomed the right way. He's not having the right vets around him. He just don't understand how to be a pro yet first and then be a basketball player and then growing to being a star it's it's a process, man, that's a fact.
Speaker 3: Before we get out of here. Man, I appreciate you coming on the show. Course like who you got.
Speaker 5: Before the series, I predicted Dallas and six. I'm still gonna stick with that. If they don't. If they don't get him in six and it goes to seven, it's gonna be tough for them to beat Boston at home. I just said, Boston to me has been They're really good. They're not as battle tested as they should be. They they say they live and die by the three. Where zengis played well to night, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know how. I don't know if he can keep that up. Him being healthy I was.
Speaker 5: I wasn't sure in his health, and that was gonna be a big part of how well they were going to succeed. If he can stay healthy and keep doing what he's doing, they have a really good shot.
Speaker 6: But if not, I just don't see.
Speaker 5: Said al Horford had a really good game, Houser had a good game, Kle didn't have a great game. Luca settled in late and they cut it to eight, and that showed me that's the real part of the game where I'm like, all right, this is what the game is more like gonna be like instead of the twenty thirty point game. And if it's close, I'm trusting more in Dallas's closers than Boston's closers. So I have Dallas and six, But I think this is gonna be a good one, and said it's a toss up. We just don't know how the emotions of Kyle being in Boston. Bro said two, We're gonna see how he bounces back. I expect and hope that he does, but you just never know when you're that's the scenario.
Speaker 3: I hope that for him.
Speaker 1: I saw some stat where it's like he's zero and ten and and games in Boston since either he's stumped on Lucky or since he left Boston or something like that, and that now makes four eleven. So I just want to see him get the monkey off his back, because you guys know, all it takes is one one.
Speaker 6: One shot on win on basket.
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, I can be good. So I definitely want to see Kay get the monkey off his back. Rooting for him. But I appreciate you coming on the show, brother, of course, I appreciate you having me absolutely. Thank you to everybody for watching the show. We'll be back next Sunday. Game two. Do not miss Champs only. There's the only room for Champions, so make sure you tune in, hit the subscribe button so you don't miss the show.
Speaker 6: You also cat catch your boy.
Speaker 5: I'm doing some stuff with Odyssey inside the green room with Danny Green, doing some stuff with ESPN two.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna be on ESPN tomorrow.
Speaker 5: I don't think I'm the NBA today, but you know I'm a free I'm a freelance guy, so I've been able to do stuff with Turner, ESPN, Yahoo has been cool. Man to see which networks if you get a chance to dabble in different ones, you see which one more fits you. But I'm enjoying the process, man. But your inside the green room, Danny Green. You catch me covering some of the final stuff as well.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: By the way, I just want you to know also inside the green room, I so fired and I was so genial with just as Raymond Green show.
Speaker 5: I didn't come up with the name bro. I can't take credit for it. The homie he was. We grew up together. We went to high school. Well not mutual friends, but I've known him since high school and he threw the podcast at me. And this is actually year six. I've been doing it for six years, and I was in San Antonio. I know, if you know much about San Antonio, they don't care for media or they didn't want to do nothing. So I was very skeptical about doing this podcast. I was like, bro, I don't know if they're gonna let me do this shit, honestly, and I said I was gonna do it.
Speaker 6: And we got traded in Toronto and then I had the news.
Speaker 5: They thought I had the inside school on KWI blew up, you know what I'm saying. We got a little studio in Toronto and from there it went off.
Speaker 6: So it's easy. In Toronto.
Speaker 5: They did a great job organization to let me feel comfortable it. But the homie came up with the name. I didn't really wasn't sure if I was gonna do it. I'm glad I did. I got the reps. It's allowed me to like get behind it, you know, build some type of resume on screen and learn ins and outs of media. But yeah, ultimately it's a year six and I said, the name is dope, but I have to get credit somebody, my guy, Harrison Sanford, who came up with the name, and then I'm Jad Osman, my producer. He was my producer at the time, so they came up with it. But it is it's catch. Its a good one. It's a good one.
Speaker 3: No, that's fire. I would love to come on your show too, bro, if you have.
Speaker 5: Bro, come on now, you know what talk. Yes, I appreciate I get you on, gotta get you. I appreciate you, brother. Enjoy the finals, man, I'm sure you'll be out probably how you fly out the boss some of these days, Dallas, I know you could be covering on the big screen on the panel.
Speaker 3: Enjoy you. You're done right, I'll be right, mind.
Speaker 6: I mean, I was looking forward to you and Chuck and shack Man. Can't you go out of this? It's funny as hell.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 6: I got to bring that show back, and they can't lose it.
Speaker 3: They can't lose the show. The show is everything.
Speaker 5: It's very vital to the game of the sport and the NBA, so we need that back.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. That's a wrap. Appreciate y'all. Peace,