Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Tennis is one against the other. When the things are going wrong, find a solution to change that dynamic, and when the things start to go well, find a way to keep going the same way. We were not able to have a conversation with the code during the match, So you are alone there and you need to survive by yourself. You need to correct yourself, you need to find solutions by yourself. So it's a mental battle about the opponent and sometimes about yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm Frantin Laqua and this is Leaders, the podcast that explores what drives the world's most influential people. This week, I'm speaking with tennis legend Rafael Nadel. He's won twenty two Grand Slams, including fourteen French Opens, four US Opens to winbuidence to Australian Open, and two Olympic Golds. Oh my words, absolutely incredible from Raphael Natel. What's Away? Nadal has been called the incomparable Spaniard and a relentless competitor, and despite having retired in twenty twenty four, the tenacity that characterized his performance in the game has followed him off the court, diving headfirst into the world of business. He's growing an empire of luxury properties, training academies, restaurants and even an electric boat racing team. His latest venture is the opening of Zelfort of Ventura, the fourth location in his growing hotel partnership with Miliat Hotels, and that's where I met Nadal for our conversation. It was an opportunity to sit down face to face with the player who led the world of men's tennis for most of his career, with Nadal being the only player in history to be ranked number one in three different decades, and to ask him about the challenges behind the success, because despite his dominance, Nadelle's road to the top wasn't always smooth. We discussed how he faced career threatening injuries and high profile rivalries, how he pulled off his Australian Open twenty twenty two come back, and how he knew it was time to retire. Raphil Nadal, thank you so much for joining us on leaders. It's very well documented that you suffered a lot of injuries. In fact, you said for your first significant injury that tennis became a race against time. What was it like living in constant fear of your career potentially ending.
Speaker 2: Will you adapted it because you have a tough injury and the hope is not very positive. For a couple of months, you don't know if you're going to have the chance to keep going. Then when you were able to come back and keep playing, you feel alive, you know, and then you adapt yourself to live with that feeling of I don't know if you're gonna be able to keep playing tennis for one, for two or for ten years, And at the end I played for sixteen more years. You know that's the true. But I went through a lot of challenges because of that first injury, but I was able to keep going and lease the part satisfaction to have the determination to find solutions to try to keep being competitive and find a way to try to have success with the new circumstances that your body presents to you.
Speaker 1: Do you think it put extra pressure on you? Did you want to win even more?
Speaker 2: No? No? For me the same. The only thing that, of course effect is when you achieve things after having this issue, probably you enjoy more that victories are more emotional. You put the victory more in value for yourself, you know, because sometimes when you are on the run that you are winning. You want to keep winning. You want to keep winning. Okay, let's stop and say okay, I want to keep winning, but let's enjoy this moment. After the things that I went through, I was able to enjoy. The victory is probably more than if I will not have this issue.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five was the year raffle On Nadele won his first French Open, but it was also the year, at just age nineteen, when he suffered a devastating foot injury that followed him for the rest of his career. Then in twenty twelve, there were knee problems, in twenty twenty two he was on crutches, and finally in twenty twenty three he faced a hip injury, which ultimately ended his career. Now, for most people, this level of adversity would have stopped them playing, but not in Nodule. Did you ever feel invincible?
Speaker 2: No at all. No. I always had doubts, and for me, the doubts are good. Why for me at douts are positive because allow you to go on court knowing that I need to improve. Doesn't matter if I am having success today, I need to be better to try to keep having success. Tomorrow. That's doubts. The people that need to lose to know that they have to improve things, they don't have doubts.
Speaker 1: You have to have doubts, but also not let those doubts cripple you because you have to perform. This is true for any leader, for anyone that wants to be the best at what they do. Like, what's the right balance between doubts and I guess bravado.
Speaker 2: Of course you can have doubts or over doubt, but doubts in terms of asking yourself if what you are doing is enough for me, are positive because if not, it's easy to say, Okay, I am winning, I'm super good, Okay I keep practicing, but you lose this feeling of going concord every day with the motivation and determination to improve something. And for me, as a personal feeling, go on court just for practice to be fit. Never work, but well for me, never motivate me enough. My motivation was always going concord with the determination to improve something, and that really attracts me.
Speaker 1: Tennis is often thought of as a solo sport, but you can't overlook the power of rivalries. No doubts were most notably was no Djokovic and Roger Federer. But what role did these rivalries actually play motivating him? You really also captured the imagination of people because of the rivalries and also friendship with Jokovic and Roger Federer. What was that like?
Speaker 2: The rivalry have been a healthy rivalry from my point of view, with huge respect between each other and putting in perspective that we shared a lot of pressure moments fighting for trying to be the best.
Speaker 1: Did they make you better?
Speaker 2: Without a doubt? Yes, we pushed each other to the to the limits. Our rivalries help us to improve our our level of tennis, our mentality, our level of bringing our possibilities to the limit because we knew that if we were not doing the things more or less the perfect way almost every day, the other will be better than us.
Speaker 1: It's amazing you as had this friendship of court.
Speaker 2: I think it's normal than wish when you shared a lot of moments with your rivals, you have some love for them because you are fighting for the same thing all the time and at the end of the day, we are achieving our dreams. So why we need to fight in a negative way. We need to fight in the tennis court as a players, it must.
Speaker 1: Be very difficult to be at the top of your game and with the pressure. Not many other people understand.
Speaker 2: We had pressure, yes, because we have some attention. Because tennis is is it difficult to support the way that the score is going. You will be never relaxed because you can lose in any situation. No, and you can come back from every situation. And we are very lucky people that we achieve what we wanted to achieve, in my case, much more than what I ever dreamed. So I can't complain a lot. And we had pressure, yes, but everybody has pressure. For us, our pressure was healthy pressure. Some people have not healthy pressure, dramatic pressure.
Speaker 1: When you say you know you've achieved much more than you thought you would, was there a moment that crystallize that for you where you thought, actually, I'm exactly where I wanted to be.
Speaker 2: I always felt myself very lucky person. I was able to win a Master thousand, then a Grand Slam, then Olympics, then more Grand slams. I had a professional tennis career of twenty or twenty one years, having an injury that almost retired myself when I was nineteen, So what else can I ask.
Speaker 1: I mean twenty two Grand Slams given all of the injuries, how do you flect back on that?
Speaker 2: For me, when I talk about victories, I don't put the injuries on perspective. I want twenty two. No, I don't want to create a fielding that. Okay, if I will not have the injuries, I will achieve more. No, that's what I achieved.
Speaker 1: After the break Ruffle and Adele talks me through one of the biggest comebacks of his career. Cast your mind back to January twenty twenty two. We're in Melbourne. It's the Australian Open final, Ruffel and Nadal versus Daniel Medvedev. It's off to a bad start from a duck. He loses the first set and the second set. He has to win the third to stay in the game. In a key moment, Nadal falls behind on his own serf. It's not looking good, but he saves three breakpoints. The tide turns, the momentum changes, and after five hours and twenty four minutes, Nadal clinches victory. The comeback is a masterclass in crisis management. Reminded of what Nadell told me about how in ten is you can come back from the brink. Unlike any other sport, I want to tap into the mind of the champion and understand how he engineered the victory. There's some exceptional matches that you've done. One of them was the Australia final in twenty twenty two against Madvidev. Talk to me about that final. So you're losing by two sets and something happens between the second and the third set. What were you thinking?
Speaker 2: Nothing happened because the change was in the second In the second set, even if I lost that second set, that the match already changed because the first set was very clear for him, he was way better than me. But then in the second set, the feeling was different. I had a big chance to win that second sept. But I lost that second sept. Of course, that was a heartbreaking moment because I came back in Australia after six months without playing on the tour for the food So for me, it was it was difficult to imagine myself coming back in a final against a great player like Medvedev. At the same time, I was thinking, okay, I was very unlucky in Australia during all my tennis career. It's very difficult because physically I don't know if my body will hold for the next three sets. But in the other hand, I had Okay, I was very, very unlucky all my life, so maybe this day will be the opposite. So I was just was trying to give me to give myself a chance all the time.
Speaker 1: You make it sound very easy. It's not right. If you're losing in such a big important game. You must have a way of turning around, of saying, actually, you know, I'm not giving up. It can't only be luck.
Speaker 2: No, it's not lack of course, no luck. You need to have some luck in every issue, in everything. In a particular moment, yes, but you need to look for that moment. You know. I need to fight for that moment now. So it's about give yourself chances all the time. And that's what I tried to do all my tennis career, and that day was not an exception. I was losing, but in my mind, don't think that after after I lose the first two sets, don't think that I will. In my mind was okay, I'm going to come back for sure. No, in my mind was I am almost dead. But I don't want to increase the problem of myself. I want the other to bid me, I don't want to help him to bid me. So let's keep going, Let's try to do things to bother him a little bit, and the dynamic of the match change it until the third After saving that dramatic moment, the match I don't say was more on my side because that's not the true, but it's more or less equal. So when you win that third set, a new match starts. And you know that as a player, you have been in that position a lot of times, and you have been in the position of you are winning, and you have been in the position that you are losing. So if you are there till the end, maybe you're going to have a chance. And that's what happened, And finally I was able to step by a step, clim the mountain and come back.
Speaker 1: So when a momentum shifts in a match, do you play differently? Do you feel different?
Speaker 2: No? But of course, step by step you start believing more, more and more. First of all, don't lose the faith when the things are going row, find a solution to change that dynamic. And when the things start to go well, find a way to keep going. The same way. It's about point after point four or five hours. That's the only way.
Speaker 1: From my point of view, It's like resilience on steroids. Right.
Speaker 2: Tennis is one against the other. When I was playing, we were not able to have a conversation with the code doing the match. So you are alone there and you need to survive by yourself. You need to correct yourself, You need to find solutions by yourself. So it's a mental battle about the opponent and sometimes about yourself.
Speaker 1: It must be also difficult because there are fans that are quite close to you. How did you handle the crowds?
Speaker 2: I think the fans always give me this extra motivation to keep practicing when I was injured, to keep fighting even a little bit more when when the match was against me. I was a very intense player in my private sessions, That's the true. No. I always practiced with very high energy with zero people watching me. But with fans, I think the adrenaline is different. Yeah, the feeling is it's completely different. It's more emotional and the amount of energy is higher.
Speaker 1: You're also well known for having rituals. Did those help for Was it comfort?
Speaker 2: I needed them to stay one hundred percent focus on what I was doing as simple as that was more that than superstitious, because I have zero riduals outside of the tennis court. I'm not a very superstitious guy, to be honest. But on the tennis court, unfortunately, I needed that routines. Why unfortunately because I would like to have the same kind of concentration without that routines. I don't like to see myself doing that routines. But I needed. I tried to avoid them, but I needed them to know that I was just focused on what I needed to be.
Speaker 1: But it's just something that's familiar I mean of doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you ask me if you want to have that or don't, I say I prefer don't. But I needed them and I was humble enough to do it.
Speaker 1: In October twenty twenty four, Raffle Nadell announced he was retiring. He said it wasn't a decision he came to lightly injury, following Adele his whole career looming over him and even threatening to take away his dream before it fully began. But I wanted to know how this slite athlete confronted the question we all face at one point, how do you know when it is the right time to go. In twenty twenty four, you announced that you were retiring. Do you remember the moment that you decided that was it was the right time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I decided to retire in Bostad twenty twenty four. I give myself around a year after my hip surgery to see if my body will come back or my hip will come back at the normal position like before the surgery. And after a lot of weeks trying and practicing and competing and without feeling myself comfortable on court and feeling myself that with that hip, I will not fight again for the things that really motivates me. Was the moment to say, okay, I am done. I need to stop.
Speaker 1: People around you were advising that maybe it was the right time to retire. Did you feel that you were retired on your own terms, that it was really your decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if probably, I didn't want to talk a lot about that, and I don't want it to be influenced for the media and for the people from outside. Now it's something personal. You need to be sure when you make that kind of decision, because when you say it's over, it's over, and you need to be one hundred percent sure that is the right moment, and if it's not your personal decision, maybe I will be today doing this interview thinking that maybe I should be playing tennis, and I had the percent sure that I make the right decision at the right moment.
Speaker 1: So when people said, look, maybe it's time to retire and you didn't agree, did you know?
Speaker 2: It never bothered me. But I try to not put many attention because they don't know the real stuff. They don't know how I feel. They don't know exactly how I am every single day. They don't know what the doctors told me and what the process is being. So I need to make my own decisions with the people that I trust the most.
Speaker 1: It feels like the new chapter is just as busy. So when your new hotel, you have a number of hotels of business interests, what do you think comes next in terms of business?
Speaker 2: I want to explore more. I just retired one year and a half ago, but have been a lot of stuff since I stopped playing tennis non stop, so I have been traveling, working hard. Of course, the Zell hotel brand is growing. Here is the fourth opening in for the Ventura, and by the end of the year going to be seven. We are in the process of spending the rafaan Altennis Academy. I dedicate time to my foundation to keep growing, keep helping more and more kids and families. So yeah, I want to explore and it's great to share all these experiences with leaders on each sector, people that are successful. So for me, it's a great experience and I'm enjoying that.
Speaker 1: You talk a lot about growth. You could be sitting on a beach.
Speaker 2: I am not the kind of person that like to wake up every morning. I don't know what to do. That's as simple as that. I need to have goals in my life. Even if I am very lucky and I could decide to do an other stuff, just stay at home without plannings, but I don't understand the life that way. I am enjoying this process, and yeah, it's intense but interesting.
Speaker 1: Last year, Maria Sharapova told Bloomberg that there's no match point in business, so she misses those designing kind of breakpoint moments.
Speaker 2: Of course, a different different approach. I mean, in sports you need to make decisions in a fraction of seconds, you know. In business it's a different stuff. You know, for example, that kind of As I said before, I think we are only in major career six hundred and fifty workers. You know, it's a big responsibility, knowing that a lot of families depends on you are doing well or not. And I am very interesting on learn more about how our company can keep growing and have the ambition to grow, but a healthy ambition, you know, doing the proper way.
Speaker 1: You played tennis for twenty three years eleven months a year. Would you miss about it the most? Do you miss it?
Speaker 2: No? Not now? No. I always would be very thankful to tennis for all the experiences that I enjoyed thanks to tennis. In my mind, in a part of my mind, I always will be a tennis player. But I finished my career because it was nothing else to offer, you know. So I don't miss tennis because I accepted. Since I make that decision, that was the end for me. I was not able to keep going the way that I needed to keep going, you know, when they had plenty of issues. So I bring my body over the limit, I think. So I am in peace with myself and enjoying this new chapter my life.
Speaker 1: Rapid fire questions. Are you ready? I hope what's the best piece of advice you've ever received?
Speaker 2: Copy what you like from the dollars.
Speaker 1: As a child, you played both tennis and football. Do you think you would have been as successful at football as you have been at tennis?
Speaker 2: I mean the chances are very little.
Speaker 1: Why do you say that?
Speaker 2: Because in tennis I am probably one of the best players of the history. So if I decide all the way things that I will be one of the best players of the history of football. Let's say it is difficult that you have both possibilities.
Speaker 1: Roughen Adan, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to this episode of Leaders with Me Friends in Lackwall the podcast. If you like our show, please rate, review and subscribe. It means a lot. It will help more people find the show. And if you want to watch the show, please find us on YouTube. This episode was hosted by me Francis Laqua. It was produced by Atalandi Dixon, Samersadi and Moses and dam Amy Keen as the executive producer of Talk Podcasts. Sound designed by Blake Maples and Aaron Casper.