Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. In this special Grammy Awards edition of Amy and TJ, the biggest surprise on Grammy Night happened before the Grammys ever even started. Yeah, everybody, welcome to this robes. I guess let me start first. What would you say the standout moments of the night for you were, first of all, for our show that actually went almost four freaking hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was alone. I mean, I'm tired, and yet it was so entertaining. The highlight began, yes, before the show began, when someone decided to show up in their birthday suit.
Speaker 1: No, but just for the moments of the night. We're going to get into that, of course, but just throughout the night, what jumps out and stands out at as the biggest moments for you? We can get into a lot of them, but off the top of your head, what jumped out? Edge?
Speaker 2: I loved how they started. The opening act was an unknown band, but it was a band, a local band from LA that lost everything, their homes, their studio. So it was so cool that they gave them a nod and it was fun. The song I Love La, it just it set the tone for the night. So I loved, loved that with some other big moments. I loved Beyonce acting shocked that she won Best Country Artists. Do you think she really was shocked?
Speaker 1: Not on that one. That's going to be a meme if you haven't seen it. Yes, that meme is going to go everywhere. Just her reaction to it you can use.
Speaker 2: To me, Yes, immensely. Because also, I just I love Tipsy Shaboozy, so I loved watching him perform. That was a big highlight for me. Honestly, Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga California Dreaming, that was like crazy good. I loved watching that. The Quincy Jones tribute was phenomenal and Stevie Wonder hearing him sing we are the World amazing that was so so freaking cool to me. Let's see what else I loved. I loved well, Miley Cyrus Slade. She looked so great. But Kendrick Lamar, I loved watching you, watching Kendrick Lamar sweep the Grammys, and you were so excited, and I was so excited that you were so excited. So that became a big moment for me. And honestly, I loved watching the La Fire Department announced the album of the year. I thought that was amazing.
Speaker 1: We should give credit. That was well done. Several things by the Recording Academy tonight to honor Look, they said, yes, we're going to keep the show. A lot of people criticize that maybe the Grammy shouldn't go on, it should change the show in some way. They did change the show and change the tone and the feel of it, which is great, but little things throughout the night. Yes, having the fundraiser, they said they raised seven million dollars to night just for people watching and contributing through the QR code. That doesn't even count all the people that Trevor Nuura called out in the arena, like all you all, and oh yeah, and those big luxury boxes up there, all you companies, And sure enough throughout the night he started saying, yeah, this company has contributed. I thought that was just well done, and it really was them giving commercial time local businesses. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: That was another favorite moment where you saw the local businesses and we walked those streets. We saw at least that neighborhood in Palisades, Pacific Palisades where all of these businesses were wiped out, to see them get airtime to rebuild their businesses back. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: It was so smart and just an easy, nice little nod, a nugget. I thought that was really really cool.
Speaker 2: It really was, it really And I like the Trevor Noah told all the folks watching at home, Hey, you can contribute a dollar, We'll take it. So whatever you had to give, it was just an incentive to do so. And I love the stories that were told. Oh, the we Are the World, the Stevie Wonder moment, the choruses that were we are the World. That was from two chorus clubs, I believe, from two of the high schools that were burned down in so that was also every moment that they could take to pay some respect or at least give a nod to folks who'd lost everything. They did it in such a respectful, beautiful way.
Speaker 1: And you know, the simplest thing in the world. Palis Age Charter High School and the other was Pasadena Wolldorf in Altadena. Those two high schools burned down and they got a chance to be on that stage. They were just little sprinkled It was yes, it was all you were always aware of it. And I don't think they were they always they found a way to sprinkle it in in just the right way. Yes, that it felt good. I liked what they did with the show.
Speaker 2: I loved what they did. The only moment where I thought they went too far and it was a head scratcher for me, was when Charlie XCX, who was an amazing performer by the way, they were throwing around underwear and bra or whatever bras on the stage and all of a sudden, you see this, this little message on the bottom of your screen. All unworn undergarments will be donated to women's survivors of domestic violence. I mean that. I was like, Okay, that was now you just now you just tried too much. That that was too much for me.
Speaker 1: That was ridiculous to show. No, they wanted to show that they were using everything. They were trying to make the point that we aren't being wasteful. Okay, they wanted to cover themselves.
Speaker 2: I left. I'm sorry it was too much for me.
Speaker 1: We actually did rewind. Wait a minute, did say.
Speaker 2: They actually just put that notice up. Don't worry, all of this lingerie, this lacy lingerie is all going to help women with your survivors of domestic violence was underwear. It was a little strange under.
Speaker 1: Your car, a lit strange, but yeah, they found a way to incorporate the disaster. The tone was right, still celebratory, it was still fun at times, it was pointing at time. It wasn't sad.
Speaker 2: Though, and you remembered as you were enjoying these artists and honoring them for all the work that they do helping us get through our days and through the moments in our lives. Music is so powerful that way. But I just thought it was such a great way to also remind everyone, Hey, people are still suffering, people still lost everything, people still need your help. I just thought it was so well done.
Speaker 1: So going back to your yes, let's go now to your point. Before the show ever started, part of these awards nights or you get a chance to watch the red carpet, so you watch those early shows that start sometimes two three hours before the main show. Folks walk the red carpet. Fine, so we started, I guess we turned it on six thirtyish. The show was eight o'clock Eastern time, six thirtyish. But even before we started really watching, we started getting alerts and notices from some of are hard people. First of all like did you see this? And check this out?
Speaker 2: And your sister even texted you.
Speaker 1: Like what the actual hell is going on? And it was about it never fails, right broe. Somebody makes a fashion statement on the red carpet every time.
Speaker 2: Sure this was I don't even know what the statement was. She was naked on the red carpet Kanye's wife, Bianca Sensori. People made a lot of jokes about her last name that she should have sent soried herself. But you could completely see everything. She was completely naked. She had a see through and i'll put this in air quotes dress on because it was basically just a see through stocking. I don't know what it was. But she had no wonderwhere, she had no raw but you could see it all. And she had a big fur coat on initially, so she got through to the red carpet with that, and then when she dramatically took it off in front of all the photographers. People are even wondering and asking online if she could be facing charges because it's actually against the law in California to do what she did.
Speaker 1: Sho okay, and there's plenty of video evidence of what she did, and some of you may have seen it by now, but if you did not, and it's everywhere online, you'll probably look it up if you haven't after you hear what we're talking about. But she steps into the red carpet with conn This is the grammy, y'all. These are cameras. There's one of the biggest red carpet events that we have in the country, and she's wearing a big dark fur coat. He comes out, Kanye just stands on the red carpet, faces straight ahead, dark T shirt, dark glasses, and just faces photographers. She comes out, stands next to him, but with her back to photographers, and then she slowly starts to take this fur coat off, discards it, drops it on the ground, and sure not as.
Speaker 2: It falls, you see her everything.
Speaker 1: But there is nothing to the imagination. There's so we say, a fashion statement. There wasn't a garment, No.
Speaker 2: It was it was a see through stocking, is the best way for me to describe it. But it was ridiculous. And so then they were nowhere to be found, and all of these rumors ensued that they had been They were not ever invited, which is insane because Kanye was actually nominated for a Grammy, so of course he was invited. But that rumor circulated. Then it was said that they were escorted out because of what the stunt that they pulled. None of that was true. I think they just and this was his first time attending the Grammys in ten years, I believe. But they came, walked the red carpet, took pictures, and then walked right back into their car and just left. So they did it by choice.
Speaker 1: Their point. Look, we know this. It's amazing. I don't trying to think. I don't think he won in the category he was. No, he didn't win tonight. So this is a guy who was nominated. I think in one category, I think Hendrick Klemar beat him out. Yes, and that in the rap duol, I think that's what or a rap performance. He shows up as one pre has pictures taken and they are the talk of the Grammys. And just if you haven't seen it, it is it's pretty shocking. We're used to seeing all kinds of wild things. It's certainly at the Grammys. She was naked.
Speaker 2: That was the most shocking thing I've ever seen on a red carpet. And then Kanye, by the way, he posted photos from the evening on his Instagram account, but then he deleted them. But before he deleted them, he captured one of the photos love stories. So who knows what's going on. But if they were seeking attention and they were seeking headlines, well they certainly.
Speaker 1: Got them, and they might get arrested.
Speaker 2: And I mean, seriously, there are people who say, I mean, she did break the law, because the law is basically, if you are showing your genitals and you are pushing it on people who don't want to see it, that is illegal. And that is exactly what she did. Wow, you could see her genitals.
Speaker 1: The other fashion statement of a different type, at least this is the only other fashion thing. I guess we'll talk about what we're talking about. Why did Will Smith's son show up with a castle on his head?
Speaker 2: There was something about it being about the new Dracula Transylvania. There was some sort of he's promoting some movie or something. Yes, but it was incredibly bizarre.
Speaker 1: There are other ways. Okay, fine, you know what, if he didn't have that on his head, he probably would not be in this Grammy's recap, right. So the point of doing something like that is to get people to talk about you, and now I know that he has a project out there. Okay, so that's the point. But folks, if you don't haven't seen this. When he is wearing a black tox and a black Fool, it looks like castle little Gray schul from when I was a kid playing. He man on his head with his head. No, no, not as a hat.
Speaker 2: He has a little cutout his face. He looks ridiculous.
Speaker 1: His head is in the castle, right.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just a hat. His head was poking out of it like he was his face. I don't even know, Like when you stick your head in one of those cardboard cutouts. That's what he had. It was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And he was wearing it inside still during the show, not just red carpet. He was photographed like nobody can see the show if they're sitting behind him. I do huge care.
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: So that was Okay, that's all the fashion at least we'll talk about for the night. But I guess the biggest one of the I guess sometimes artists. Yes, Beyonce won at the end of the night, but she's someone who is the all the nominations and whatnot. These are big stars in the industry, but then you have folks who are young, who are new, were so energetic and enthusiastic. And I think the rap performance that we saw doughhi.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was great.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, the performance was great, But to hear her when she accepted her the acceptance speech for Best Rap.
Speaker 2: Album and she had her mom on stage with her, which was super cool.
Speaker 1: That was a fun moment. That was a special moment that you felt it wasn't just about the industry. It wasn't just about a superstars to somebody who has been grinding and getting this moment, and you feel their energy and passion and authenticity.
Speaker 2: I loved her tonight and I haven't listened to a lot of her music. Alligator Bites Never Heal was the album Rap Album of the Year, so I'm definitely going to check her out. But at first, I was just having some fun because she took some big fashion risks with her pants. She had the hoops in them. She had a real I don't think she thought she was gonna win, because I don't know if you would choose to walk up in those pants up those stairs to accept the awards. She was having a tough time fucking up to accept her award. She was kind of she was exactly, she was wild. But but then her speech and her mom it was great. But I just thought, wow, I don't know if she knew she was gonna win, if she would have chosen those pants. But I remember her, I remember what she wore, and it was amazing. Her performance was amazing.
Speaker 1: But hers was. And she pointed out this, she only her. It's Lauren Hill and Cardi B think, she said, with the only two women ever won.
Speaker 2: In there, and Cardi B actually so cute. She's the one who presented the award to her, which was perfect.
Speaker 1: And she's one of my favorites of all time as well. Sabrina Carpenter Best Pop Album Short and Sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her performance though was a little like if she was trying to be funny. I don't know that it land what was the joke?
Speaker 1: I didn't actually just.
Speaker 2: Kept being funny during it, but like she was trying to be funny. But yeah, I mean she's cute, she's great.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was a big production her.
Speaker 2: It was a lot to a lot she worked and she put a lot of work into it.
Speaker 1: The Chapel Rome performance was a highlight that I wasn't expecting. I was late to the Chapel Rome party and I was only invited by my twelve year old daughter in al Sabine with the I never Get this the h O Hot to Go h O T t O g O that song.
Speaker 2: Got It Club, that's the one that Yeah, my daughter loves that song, so I've been listening to that for quite some time. No, she was amazing. Yeah, I want did she drop her Grammy? When she was giving her speech, she got all impassioned. I thought I saw it. Maybe she put it down deliberately, but it looked like maybe.
Speaker 1: She dropped She dropped the hat though, the.
Speaker 2: Hat, Oh yes, the hat fell off. And then Yeah, she was struggling a bit in her speech.
Speaker 1: But she had her books. She had a looked like a full notebook up there, and she was reading. And she made a plea to the academy to take better care of the young artists and make sure they get on healthcare. She specifically labels the industry. Yeah, so she had a point to make up there, but her performance was pretty incredible. That song, if you don't know it, it's just it no matter who you are. I mean, it just has good energy to it.
Speaker 2: I run to it. I love that song.
Speaker 1: But if you saw her performance, it added energy almost it gives you a visual to go with that song in a way. She was cool tonight. I really really became a bigger fan of hering that's cool.
Speaker 2: I think she's great, and she was nominated for everything tonight. I mean, she's up and comer for sure.
Speaker 1: And the first time we saw I guess, I guess we should say this part first, and a lot of people noticed it. Beyonce wasn't there at the beginning of the show, and I think, you know what, Trevor Noah made reference to it early on. That was almost uncomfortable, like we haven't seen her or don't know if she's gonna show up. It was almost uncomfortable, like he knew something or well.
Speaker 2: It was weird because everybody else was there and he was referencing people who were nominated. Obviously, Beyonce was the most nominated artist in the room and she wasn't there yet, so he was like, I swear she's coming, y'all. Well, I mean, I guess I can't promise she is, but oh no. He definitely seemed awkward and was trying to almost make an excuse for why she wasn't there yet.
Speaker 1: So the first time we ended up seeing her was when she ends up winning Best Country Album. She comes in just before the presenter came out to present that particular category, and then she goes up and that was her thing, and look it's.
Speaker 2: It was Taylor, right. Yeah, Taylor presented the award Taylor Sweat to Best to Best Country Music Artists, and they had that awkward little hug when she presented her the award, Taylor used.
Speaker 1: To Taylor, it was Taylor. She won that award as well. See. I didn't think much of the moment. I guess a lot of people are trying to read a lot into it. I didn't look at it.
Speaker 2: I loved at the end of to jump ahead with the Taylor moment. She like one of the last shots you saw of the Grammys was Taylor and jay Z clinking champagne glasses because Beyonce finally won Album of the Air. Yeah, there was some Tailor and Beyonce moments.
Speaker 1: See I didn't but again, I know people are talking about it. For me in the moment, I didn't think anything else, Oh I did. I did I didn't think anything else, but yes, she wins Best Country Album. I think maybe that was the one. People wouldn't be as surprised, but.
Speaker 2: She seemed surprised, and that surprised me because I just thought, really, you're surprised anyway.
Speaker 1: Did you like that they did? I can't remember them doing this in previous Grammys, but they streamed together several musical performances. You were telling me that some people were complaining about that online.
Speaker 2: Look, you and I were two hours into the show. Only four awards were announced. It's ten forty at night. Only five awards were announced. I mean, you know, I think people. Look, I haven't watched the Grammys in a very long time because normally I would never be up this late. But we're doing it for work. But I don't know if that's the way it always is, but I think I'm used to seeing a lot more awards. So it was I appreciated the performances. They were awesome, but you kind of start wondering, is this an award show or is this just a showcase?
Speaker 1: Seen You make a very good point. They hand out so many awards before the show, and look, folks, we are really talking this show didn't end until eleven fifty Eastern time. We're talking about almost a four hour show and eight awards were given out.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: We're talking about two an hour is the average. Look. I like the performances. I love them, but you got big category like Best R and B.
Speaker 2: D like to have seen more people. I think it's sweet, and especially if you can keep the acceptance speeches to a minimum, maybe more people could be like Beyonce, who only when she got the award that she's been coveting and waiting for her entire life, she gave like a thirty second speech. I don't know why, but it was wildly It was so short.
Speaker 1: But I can't imagine that obviously they did this is the award of the night. They didn't say, hey, Beyonce, keep it short.
Speaker 2: I mean they were running late. But still, all these years, she finally gets that she would have savored it. That was a shocking thing for me.
Speaker 1: She didn't mention her, She didn't mention anybody and her family really.
Speaker 2: She I mean she said some things earlier when she accepted the country molto the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she I don't need to say it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess but still it was the big it was the big award. I don't know.
Speaker 1: And again, there's so much emphasis been put on this past fifteen twenty years. She's zero for four. I think before this she hasn't. She's been nominating this category, lost in heartbreaking fashion every time. Some albums that folks like this is definitely one hundred percent she has to win. She's lost to the likes of I mean, Harry Styles had a good album. Yeah, right, she's lost to some really big names. But yeah, she's finally got it. But yeah, it should have been more of a yeah something at the end.
Speaker 2: I was surprised. I thought she was going to have something prepared.
Speaker 1: I did notice tonight there was a lot of There was a lot of a lot of clothes ripping. Yes, going on tonight.
Speaker 2: A lot of people had clothes ripped off.
Speaker 1: That was okay, I have them here.
Speaker 2: Oh that was another moment that I loved the moon or Ben sim boone. I didn't love when he was wearing the blue seventies like whatever jumpsuit, but his vocals were incredible and the performance was amazing, beautiful things. Yes, so his clothes got ripped off, but he.
Speaker 1: I can't I know Heidi Klum was one on one side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had trouble with it. Oh yeah, I was like, whoa girl, you gotta get that. Yeah, she had a little trouble ripping.
Speaker 1: Really, you're trying to coach it, No, Heidi, this is how you're a man's clothes off. And you think she would know, Well, I don't know. Was she?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: But his performance was a little bizarre and that he just pulled a microphone out of his end pocket. Yeah, but it came out of nowhere. And for folks who don't know, this is what he does. People were thrown by the fact he does He flipped. He was on top of the piano and does a full somersault off and lands. This is what he does. If you haven't seen him, he says his dad used to teach him this when he was a kid, and he's just a tumbler. He jumps. So anytime you see him perform, he does this. We've been lucky enough to see him what three times? Yeah, it's actually and he does this, So that threw some people, but it is what he does best. New artists weird category there for a lot of people sometimes because the new artist is somebody sometimes who's been out for six years, but this time truly a new artist, chaperone much deserved and not much of a surprise. I guess this time around.
Speaker 2: Wait, who else ripped her clothes off? Oh yeah, you want to go back to that Janelle Monnet?
Speaker 1: Did she know? Carpenter? Did it?
Speaker 2: Sabrina Carpenter herlo and best.
Speaker 1: Rap album that performance she replays off?
Speaker 2: Oh right, Jochi, she ripped hers off too, because she had on that like gray school girl kind of a thing and she.
Speaker 1: Went down to like a white forty sports.
Speaker 2: A lot of a lot of women wearing like basically almost like a bikini like outfits.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that too, like underwear but like stylish and somehow now Grammy worthy. But yeah, I saw a lot of that too.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Lady Gaga earlier, but those two, it was amazing. The California dreaming that they performed together was just.
Speaker 2: And then Died with the Smile one, which I just that is that is my favorite. Yeah, so that's the best pop duo group performance was Die with a Smile And I have that song on repeat. It's it's ridiculous how much I listened to that song.
Speaker 1: Those two are I mean, how could they not make magic? They're just so wildly talented. But that and I liked a man. I love what Bruno was wearing tonight, actually doing that California dreaming.
Speaker 2: He's a performer. Oh, we didn't talk about the weekend. He had been boycotting the Grammys the time. Yeah, it's for a while, but it worked out well for him with the timing of this new album. And I think he had a commercial in one of the breaks.
Speaker 1: And good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, calling a truce getting to perform. The Grammys president gets to say, hey, I hope this works for you. We've made some changes and now you're back. And so yeah, that was quite the the wonderful way to promote a new album.
Speaker 1: But the song cry for Me and I don't know if you, yeah, but I'm starting to listen to the new album. But uh, it's what you expect from him, which is good stuff. But I liked his performance. I think the it was good.
Speaker 2: I thought it was really good.
Speaker 1: Shakira was up. She got this was the fifth award of the night. It was the Best Latin Album and that went to Kira. Now this wasn't a big night. Oftentimes we see a lot of political statements made. Not on this night. Really, we only saw kind of two anything that got close to anything related to politics, and Shakira was one. She just only made a statement about dedicating this to my immigrant brothers and sisters here in this country. She didn't go much farther than that, but she set her piece and kind of kept it moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Trevor Noah was the only one who even made a reference earlier, and then I saying that lucky for him he got to do this now because maybe next year he wouldn't be able to do the job.
Speaker 1: Yes, which was funny. Yes, the the what a lot of folks are waiting for for the night. Of course, Quincy Jones. I don't think anybody in that room now, anybody breathing right now, you have had been impacted in some way by Quincy Jones. You've loved something he had a hand in. Music wise, So that group rolls. What do we have here? We had Stevie Wonder and Cynthia Rivo. Oh my god, amazing that a highlight.
Speaker 2: Her voice is ridiculous, It was so so so good. I was blown away by her.
Speaker 1: So she did that, so, you know, I thought it was cool that they did. Will Smith kind of hosted the tribute if you will. He came out, he kind of told little stories, introduced Herbie Hancock and Cynthia Rivo who performed together. What did they do? They did the Frank Sinatra one fly Me to the Move.
Speaker 2: Yes, so good.
Speaker 1: And then Landy Wilson came out and performed. And then after that it was Stevie and Herbie Hancock and just see those two guys sitting next to each other. It was remble on stage and Stevie kind of talked us through it. He told little stories. He told about his love for Quincy. It was just kind of cool.
Speaker 2: And Rea.
Speaker 1: And then we are the World.
Speaker 2: You know, I love that song, and yeah, that was so well done. And then we saw Jenelle Monet. She wrapped up the Quincy Jones tribute with Michael Jackson performance. I thought she had his moves down pretty well.
Speaker 1: She is such I just she's adormal. She can be such a performer. I love watching her and I was it is a little confusing. I was asking you about this before we actually hit record for this episode, was how is it possible the Beatles just won Yeah, a Grammy, So they won tonight for Best Rock Performance, I believe is the category. I have it right for a song now and then, and this is a song yes by the Beatles that was released last year that just won a Grammy. Please explain why. So.
Speaker 2: Obviously, John Lennon is no longer with us and hasn't been with us for a while, but they were able to Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, who are still with us. They actually were able to take an original demo that John Lennon had recorded from the nineteen seventies, and then the other three Beatle members contributed to it, and then they used AI to help clean up Lenin's vocals, and that was a technology that just now is available, so that they were able to make this song with Lenin's voice, with their editions. It's remarkable, and Yeah, they won. They want to Grammy for it. That's pretty cool. That's really cool.
Speaker 1: What do we do with it? Like, I mean, there are some implications and questions to be asked later about that, but the fact that the song that old can be released.
Speaker 2: That was recorded fifty years ago, but they were able to engineer it so that it could be released today and.
Speaker 1: Win a Grammy. Boy, it is pretty cool, pretty remarkable. You mentioned the die with a smile. They won for best That was the only other. I only mentioning that now because that was the only other political statement made of the night. I would say was Lady Gagat in their acceptance, Oh yeah, speaking to trans people are not invisible. And she made a few comments there. But it we come to expect a few statements to be made, and.
Speaker 2: There were fewer than I would have expected. I would have thought. But perhaps given that the night was about unifying the country and helping LA, they knew. I think artists knew and know that if they make political comments, it's divisive and people turn it off. And that wasn't the point of the night. The point of the night was to support LA, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and you're going to have to help me here. I said there were only two political statements. There was a third. I don't remember who said it. DEI is not a threat, it's a gift. Who said that?
Speaker 2: Oh, I have this written? Alicia Keys did Alisia Keys?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Alicia Keys got the Doctor Dre Impact Award, and she said DEI is not a threat. It's a gift. Yes. So there were a few moments, but very few and far between, given what we typically would see on an evening like this in the political climate that we're in.
Speaker 1: And not long statements either. Were used to seeing kind of speeches to a certain degree. But it wasn't that deal tonight, the big story you talked about that this was a big deal. I'm just a fan. I've been a fan for a long time with Kendrick Lamar and he was not need of a five Grammys tonight having to do with the song that you all know and likely love. Not like us, the brother went five for five. Yeah, I swept the Grammys tonight with that one song that ended the most epic rap battle in the history of rap battle.
Speaker 2: And I'm so slow or maybe I'm just tired, but I loved that. Uh. I don't know if it's his producer who was standing behind him said somebody get a broom, and I was like, why should somebody get a broom? And you turned to me said because he swept. It was a clean sweep.
Speaker 1: This is you know, this is Tonight was the first night that I had a moment of I just wanted to embrace Drake. That's tough. You lost the battle, that's one thing. But now the song that calls you a pedophile has won five Grammy.
Speaker 2: Awards, and everyone in that audience and they're the best in the business. We're singing along as he was coming up, saying a minor. You can hear it in all in all of the different videos that are out there, that everybody was singing.
Speaker 1: Why did they have to queue it up there?
Speaker 2: Right there?
Speaker 1: He got out. He was walking up and that's sure enough. If he would have walked a little faster or even I don't know, but sure enough he I mean, it's almost timed perfectly. He's walking almost when his foot gets to the last step to get to the top of the stage, the part of the song comes on and the I'm talking Taylor Swift, we talking Billie Eilish, were talking a big star. The whole crowd, the whole crowd is singing a lyric that is calling Drake a pedophile. Tried to strike a chord and it's probably a mine. The whole place lights out.
Speaker 2: It's fun to say, it's fun to sing.
Speaker 1: But after all that and how big that song was, and here's a weird thing. This is just the start, because in a week he's going to be at the Super.
Speaker 2: Bowl singing the same song.
Speaker 1: And one hundred and ten twenty million people are going to hear him singing about Yeah Drake being a pedophile.
Speaker 2: It's not over.
Speaker 1: It's not over yet. The last I think that was the perfect way to end it tonight. With the album of the Year. You're wondering who it's always a big star that hands out the biggest award of the night. And for them to kind of unveil the members of the La County Fire Department. How many would you say, we're up there. I don't know, twenty maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably twenty, like less than two dozen. But it was pretty cool because when the La Fire Department got to say what they wanted to say, read their statement, then they got a standing ovation, which was really really cool. And I just thought how awesome it was for them to be able to announce album of the Year, to open it up and say the name. It was fun and for it to be Cowboy Carter, for it to be Beyonce after all that it was it was the perfect way to end the night. The only thing was I just I thought Beyonce was gonna have this speech. Blue Iby came up with her, which was pretty cool. I saw that, but yeah, I just it was interesting. But congratulations to her. She finally Maybe it's sometimes that thing when you're waiting for it, you're waiting for it, and by the time you get it, you're like, eh, it's too late, like kind of like, okay, I guess thanks, like I should have gotten this like a decade ago, but okay, thanks, Okay. I kind of feel like, okay.
Speaker 1: You know what, that actually makes more sense to me than anything else I've heard tonight as far as an explanation for it, Okay, fine, I just do not think there's no way they told her to hurry. They did not tell Beyonce Noel's carter to hurry up with this. We gotta get going, right.
Speaker 2: Like you got to keep this under one minute because we got to get to the local stations.
Speaker 1: Or maybe you know what, Beyonce was tired because she was hungry. Let's get the hell out of here. I got enough of these at home.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, but she got the one she wanted.
Speaker 1: Uh but what an eight folks? If you didn't get to see it all. I hope we caught you up pretty well. But the pictures from uh from the Red Carpet and Kanye definitely got to check those. You have got to see what that was all about. But Kendrick is just getting started. Beyonce find the Guy, which she wanted.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Shaboozy, Yeah, shocked that song. I think I have it right one nothing.
Speaker 2: I don't think it did either, but I mean I'll still be playing it on repeat.
Speaker 1: That makes that is unfamable.
Speaker 2: Only say that that song was up against so many other songs that we were playing over and over that are so phenomenal. So it's just I feel like it was a really tough year.
Speaker 1: You know what, did Espresso? It did win?
Speaker 2: Us?
Speaker 1: Did it win specifically? I'm struggling with that.
Speaker 2: The problem is unless you go online and have to look it up because if you're watching the award show, which is so weird because if it's an award show, I feel like that's where I should have seen the awards. So I can only tell you what those eight awards were, babe, because otherwise I have to go online and look because the award show didn't have the awards on them, so wow, I wouldn't be able to tell you Google Espresso.
Speaker 1: I okay, she got Best Pop Solo Performance. It did win for Best Pop Solo Performance, so Espresso did win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a bummer because she didn't get You know, when you don't have the awards on, people don't get to go up and say thanks, and you don't really get the feeling of winning an award.
Speaker 1: But I was really surprised that song sheould but that's a record setting song. Yeah, it did not win. It was beat out by Chris Stapleton one category, and I can't remember who the I think Casey, that's yeah, another shot a whiskey.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So folks, hope we get you caught up if you didn't get a chance to stay up late and check it out like we did. So we did it for you. Y'all should see Robes right now.
Speaker 2: She can take a nap tomorrow afternoon. I'm already planning my nap tomorrow.
Speaker 1: She can't keep her eyes open. I want to keep the podcast going just to mess with it. But now that's it. Folks appreciate just always hanging out with us. We will see y'all soon, whether that's on the morning run wherever it may be, you'll have all right.
Speaker 2: I have a good day. Everybody