Speaker 1: Yeah, time for the Bonus podcast that will.
Speaker 2: Change your life.
Speaker 3: I don't know about change your life, but we hope you enjoy it. For the next twenty two plus minutes. Give us twenty two minutes, we'll give you the world.
Speaker 4: You like that. I came up with it.
Speaker 3: You had that up a new slogan. Actually, welcome to the world famous. I made that up too. Covino and Rich Bonus Show over promised Monday through Friday. We're on Fox Sports Radio five to seven on the East, two to four on the West. Search Covino and Rich ree you stream your podcast, but thank you for joining us here. We're gonna talk about some NFL logos, super Bowl logos. We're gonna talk about the most important sporting good you own.
Speaker 1: There's an obvious answer. There's the number one answer on the board. If you disagree with me, you're an ask client.
Speaker 4: Or have times changed. We'll explain.
Speaker 3: Plus Kelsey's proposal, what let's get into a Bill Belichick?
Speaker 2: Is it gonna do it macho man style?
Speaker 3: Will you marry me? That would be cool? But Bill Belichick in the news. He's on Jim Gray's podcast, the Let's Go Podcast, and he basically gives a lot of props to Tom Brady, as he should, but it was I thought a nice gesture, of course, speak of him so highly.
Speaker 1: I think over the last couple of years, you've seen Bill Belichick and Tom Brady show each other more and more love because you know what it's like. You look back at a relationship and you start to think of it more fondly. You forget the troubles and the you know, bumping heads, bumping helmets, but you do remember the good times.
Speaker 2: And they did win six together.
Speaker 1: And this is what he had to say about Tom Brady, and I'll be honest, super complimentary.
Speaker 2: Take a look.
Speaker 5: You got to have good players, and as a coach, you want to give your players a chance to win. You want to put them in a position where if they go out there and play well, they'll have a chance to win. That's what coach Barcels taught me is there's always a way to win. You just got to figure out what it is, and you have to give the players a chance.
Speaker 4: They don't name it the Star Trophy, it's named the Lombardi Trophy. Maybe it's a name it the Brady Trophy.
Speaker 2: He wonts seven of them yeah, you know what Belichick.
Speaker 1: Listen, he won eight if you want to play stat Boy two as an assistant with the Giants, six with the Pats. But Tom Brady has won seven Super bowl So it does beg the question do they need to pull an NBA move?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, there's so many sort of questions at Bay here. It's like the importance of coach versus player, right, because it's now named after a coach, Vince Lombardi. But by Belichick saying that, he's also insinuating, well, Lombardi wasn't scoring touchdowns. Yeah, I wasn't kicking field goals. He even goes on to say, look, I wasn't throwing those passes. I wasn't scoring touchdowns. I wasn't kicking field goals like Venetarian four inches of snow. It should be named after a player. That's basically what he's saying without saying it, and complimentary to Tom Brady at the same time. So your thoughts on that, do we glorify the past? Should it be the Vince Lombardi Trophy? Can you resend an honor like that? Can you take away an honor like that?
Speaker 1: It's interesting they renamed Bridges they renamed monuments. Maybe you can they read different time, different places. They renamed gulfs.
Speaker 2: No, but the NBA, the NBA has done a hell of a job doing this.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: The NFL is king right, the NFL clearly what fifty sixty million people watch the AFC Championship Game last week. NFL is king. There's no doubt they do most things right. Maybe updating the awards isn't a bad idea.
Speaker 2: I know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It feels like they're stripping away a legendary person of that.
Speaker 4: It feels that way.
Speaker 3: But maybe they're just doing it to move forward with the sport right, Like there's no rule that says you can't change it.
Speaker 2: Spot wasn't there a bridge? What's the bridge in New York?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: They renamed it like the RFK Junior Bridge? Is that the Kosi U Skilled Bridge or.
Speaker 4: Street?
Speaker 2: They renamed it like that all the time.
Speaker 1: So if you go to the NBA, who, let's argue this there was looking to do things right. They renamed the Western Conference MVP Award, the Magic Johnson Award, Eastern Conference Larry Bird MVP, Michael Jordan All Star Award is the Kobe Bryant one and the Rookie of the Year Wilt Chamberlain. The only one that sticks around is Larry O'Brien. And why not pat Riley?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: You know, why not someone who's been there, done that? Maybe a Phil Jackson Award or.
Speaker 3: Based on what Belichick said here you name it after a player. I don't know, but yeah, Larry O'Brien commissioner seventy five to eighty four, made the NBA what it was, popularized it a major part of the growth of the NBA. So I get it deserving then, but how many people really know much about Larry O'Brien today? So yeah, I could see a Phil Jackson but Trophy or a Pat Riley.
Speaker 4: It'll make more sense moving forward for other generations.
Speaker 1: Does it leave a bad taste in your mouth? Is it really what I'm asking? Is it shitty to take someone's name off of an award just because time is passed.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's other ways to honor them, right, And then at the same time, you do have to move forward. It might be something we need to get used to because I think when you think of these major sports, I think some changes need to be made, Like think about the logos.
Speaker 4: Right, if you're going to change the Lombardi.
Speaker 3: Trophy to the Brady Trophy, why not change the MLB logo. Nobody really knows who it is or what it is, right, Betting left you already. Yeah, And as a kid, it always confused me. It looked like a bird to me. Ron gotta beak. The helmet and the nose looks like a bird taken in that bat. I'm like, why's big bird playing for the expost? What's going on here? But why not Griffy We've seen this before, the most beautiful swing in the world. And you can go classic or I you can go classic Mickey mantles and things like that, But Griffy Junior, You've seen this and it looks sweet. I've seen several versions of it, the backwards hat note as Grivy Junior in his beautiful swing, why not that modern day spice it up.
Speaker 4: We've made rule changes.
Speaker 3: I understand it seems like a disrespect but as we quote Gary Vaynerchuk all the time, you know, Vader dies. Sometimes you got to make changes. We're out disrespecting the past, but I feel there is a layer.
Speaker 1: Of it's just moving forward that there's a slight layer of disrespect when you rename a monument, a bridge, a trophy. In the NBA, there have been some mockups. When we lost Kobe Bryant almost five years ago to this day, right five years ago, there was thoughts of do we make the NBA logo Kobe? And there's a couple mockups of this because even though we all know it's Jerry West, the NBA never let you know it's officially Jerry West. But is that sort of erasing the past? Then if you re up the logo, okay and change.
Speaker 3: It, but think of it this way, because again, it's not meant to be a disrespect to Jerry West. It's meant to be an honor to Kobe Bryant. Time moves on, and I'm sad to say this. We see the record books and we know the legend of a Jerry West, but is there anyone alive eventually that even saw him play?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: So what means more to the fan that's alive on this earth. I know it sounds odd or a weird way to look at it, but Kobe Bryant would make more sense in today's world for today's fan. And if anyone is willing to make those changes. It might be the NBA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I you could have this conversation going in a million directions. So as time passes, think about this for a second. Fast forward fifty to one hundred years and later, who's to say teams don't say, all right, you know who knows Yogi Berra anymore? Unretired number eight? Could you start unretiring numbers? They have to like fifty to one hundred years.
Speaker 4: No, hey, though, that's the point of retiring.
Speaker 2: Nos, That's okay.
Speaker 4: Now, I think that's where you drove the line.
Speaker 3: And like I said, if you were to take away that on her, there are other ways to still keep them alive, right, There's other things you could dedicate, and plaques you could do, and awards you can name, or maybe you just create other trophies to respect the Kobe's and the Griffy's and things like that who've made an impact on today's generation. But I think we do need to say, look, if we were to rename the Lombardi Trophy to the Brady Trophy, it's not the craziest thing in the world.
Speaker 4: He's won seven of them.
Speaker 3: But then it posts the question, well, if Mahomes surpasses them, is it the Mahomes Trophy?
Speaker 2: Hey, great idea.
Speaker 1: If I went to three p and and maybe like three more, maybe it's the Mahomes Trophy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I think it's got to end somewhere, or maybe it's an evolution.
Speaker 2: So maybe we just.
Speaker 1: Stick with the Lombardi Trophy because there would be no Super Bowl history without Lombardi.
Speaker 2: The guy's are Broadway play named after.
Speaker 1: Him, Vince Lombardi, super Bowls one and two a legend. The AFC in the NFC Championships trophies. I'm not saying they don't deserve it, so I'm not trying to be disrespectful. But the AFC is Lamar Hunt and the NFC is George Hallis. Okay, Joe Montana, Tom Brady, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't tell you with it.
Speaker 3: If we're not disrespecting people because they were honored for a reason.
Speaker 1: We're getting older due Joe Montana played a long ass time ago. So you tell me the NFC Championship if you called it the Joe Montana Award instead of George Hallis, you think people would be like, oh, your thoughts.
Speaker 3: But when you have a legend like Bill Belichick who's putting his eight aside and his ego assigned to say, hey, maybe we will name it not for him, for a Brady, it does make you think, hey, why is that not a possibility? And you could share your thoughts at Covino and at Fox Sports Radio hashtag over promised.
Speaker 1: Should the award essentially always be named after the ogs, the people that paved the way? Or if someone has come along since and just dominated on a different level, do they then get that on her?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting question.
Speaker 3: Like there's gonna be bigger stars, Like I think boxing should have a logo, and it doesn't for obvious reasons. Too many bells, too many sanctions, right, But if there were to be a boxing logo that you would identify, it should be like Mohammad Ali. You could debate Mike Tyson or whatever, but it would be Ali.
Speaker 4: If there's an Ali of that sport.
Speaker 3: If hockey had a person as a logo, it should be Wayne Gretzky.
Speaker 1: You know, look, I know it's not sports, but so therefore it's an evolution of things.
Speaker 2: It's sports entertainment. Take away.
Speaker 1: You know, the racist stuff and the Trump stuff people don't like about him. Should every wrestling montage have Hulk Hogan right in the middle, or is it like, all right, dude, we've seen enough of this guy, like the Rockstone Cold other guys sort of carry the torch. Or should Hulk Hogan always be the centerpiece of a wrestling montage?
Speaker 3: You keep saying always, And that's the point. I think these things are ever changing, and that's okay, right. It doesn't mean we forget the past, but whole Colgan eventually slips out to the side a little bit. I don't want to pay it here comes you know, the Rock and John Cena and everybody else.
Speaker 1: I don't want to put spot on the spot. But when Raw debuted on Netflix, they painted like the whole intro is like a cool painting of Monday Night Raw. You don't need to play video, but there was a painting and I noticed that Hogan was like in the top right, and he wasn't the centerpiece because it's like out the Rock, a Roman reigns and this is that so it we evolve, So look at it that way.
Speaker 3: So speaking of logos, let's talk about the Super Bowl logo. We'll be heading their New Orleans. Always a fun time. Again, we've seen the evolution.
Speaker 1: You know it's going to be Chiefs and Eagles because it was green and red. Right that that hilarious narrative. The NFL logo is a great example of something that used to be awesome. Then it went through like a fifteen year period where it's stunk. The super Bowl logo, Yeah it's stunk, and now they're trying to give it a little character again what I used to think was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there it is.
Speaker 1: Look the wrestling logo, Spot give the man sorry, Spot the fact you found that.
Speaker 4: I love it the greatest.
Speaker 1: But see Hogan's in the top right like he's no longer the like right there.
Speaker 4: He became evolved to a newer audience. We've moved forward.
Speaker 3: So it's not about disrespect, and that's the point. It's about where we are now. You know, we honored the past, but you also got to honor what's going on here. The thing is, sometimes we glorify the past for way too long when we've seen other stars and maybe even bigger stars, right star since then.
Speaker 1: So to wrap this up, logos awards respect. The super Bowl logo I remember as a kid. Every year where that Super Bowl was. You'd remember sometimes where that game was played because the logo catered to the city. It was that city's opportunity or some designer, some graphics person made a cool logo. Then they made this generic look in the beginning, yeah, loo, the personality of the city, the skyline, something that says, hey, the super Bowl is in Miami, or just like it would change the funds. And then all of a sudden they went to this generic silver Lombardi Trophy logo for years. The last couple of years now they've injected colors and some fonts to go with the city. And now the conspiracy is they know who's gonna play against.
Speaker 3: The colors seem to line up, and that's remained true as we get ready for Chiefs.
Speaker 4: You that, ye look at that.
Speaker 3: And so there are the logos and we've seen the evolution and it's getting better now. Rich, Yeah, buddy, aside from all the foosball and logo talk, you've been busy in dad life, Dude, I talk about it. And not only are they gonna name the Little League Trophy the Rich Davis trompe let me tu listen, I'm coaching my daughter, not coaching.
Speaker 1: I'm managing. I know you love when I say this. There's a difference. Coach like assistant coaches show up. Managing sports team is a pain in the app I just point.
Speaker 3: Out when we were kids, it was coach, buttermaker. It wasn't you know, manager, It was coach, my person on coach, coach Montini or my dad coach Cavino.
Speaker 4: It wasn't a manager. It wasn't Tony LaRusso walking out. He was the coach. But for continuity, it wasn't mister food.
Speaker 2: You might say head coach, but that's a football term. Manager is a baseball term.
Speaker 4: But wasn't that always How what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying they changed it because it's never made sense. Like every baseball, every baseball level, it's manager in these coaches.
Speaker 4: Was Walter Mapp found the manager of the bad news?
Speaker 2: I don't think so well anyway.
Speaker 1: I found you just liked the title because if I say coach, people like, oh you help.
Speaker 4: Coach, Wait till Karen wants to talk to you, and I speak to the manager.
Speaker 1: Who do the parents bitch to the parents, don't bitch to the assistant coach. If I'm the guy has to take on all that ship. Then I'm I'm the manager anyway, first wants to feel important. I went to the sporting good store, okay, and I just want to throw it out there. One of the most glorious places to walk around. But we lack good ones out here in La. No offense to Big five Big five is no got to go to Moe's or Dix or remember back in the day sports authority Big five spot. That must be the biggest Big five because the one I went to on Topegas it was like a fucking coffee shot.
Speaker 2: Tiny five life.
Speaker 3: Now for me, you're a big fan of this one, yeah, Rich is a huge fan who love.
Speaker 2: Dis sporting goods. Gotta go to Moe's.
Speaker 4: I used to go to Herman's.
Speaker 1: Herman's.
Speaker 3: We are sports sports authority growing up on the East Coast.
Speaker 2: So I want to.
Speaker 1: Throw it out there, just a hypothetical for our Fox Sports Radio Covin and Rich friends. What is the most important sporting good you buy in your life? Because I had to size up my kids for new gloves and all, I got it right here. Oh my son who's in t ball, got him this bad boy. It's a it's got a little flex to it a little little rawlings action.
Speaker 4: Is that that's a tiny glove and tiny hands and.
Speaker 1: Omar and my daughter wanted this one. I like the gray with a little tea logo for her softball domination. I have to break in a glove for the first time in thirty years. I got to help her with the oil. Put her you know, rubber bands, but you.
Speaker 4: Got to throw in the microwave.
Speaker 1: Bro, I, you know, please oil it up after the podcast, give me this micro I've never done the microwaft.
Speaker 4: Looking up, there's YouTube.
Speaker 1: Well anyway, I realized that I've had my my baseball glove I used for fifteen years as a kid. Yeah, and now as an adult I play softball. I've had the same softball glove from time I was like twenty something till now in my forties.
Speaker 4: That's because that's how it used to be.
Speaker 3: I think most grown men probably had a total of three gloves of a lifetime.
Speaker 4: You had your t ball glove when you were just a little boy.
Speaker 2: You found the glove of the lifetime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you will find a glove that lasts you your whole life through a good twenty thirty years. Then you had your little League glove, and then maybe you got your drone man glove that you still have till this day, and if a softball game breaks out, that's your one.
Speaker 4: And I still have every one of those gloves.
Speaker 3: So when you do get that little league glove, when you're just a little pumpkin pie of haircuted nose picking kid, it is the glove of a lifetime.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: But today's kid, they get a new glove every year. It on Amazon, and they wanted to match their uniform. Not only that they're easier to break in. Apparently sporting good stores will steam them for you and break them in into all this shit. Those days of gloves of a lifetime, those days are over. I have a nine year old nephew. He's had nineteen gloves already, you know, damn all. And now my outfield glove, my infield glove. I had one glove. So when I'm at the sporting good store that my wife was like, what are you doing? Because I was, you know, trust me, we were taking our time in the glove section because I'm like, honey, you know, realize, this is like a this is a decision.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: This is like deciding on a car. This is what you are going to use.
Speaker 4: But you're right.
Speaker 1: Maybe kids think differently now, But for me, you got a glove that was your freaking glove for years and years and years. When you think of other sporting goods, I'm here to make the proclamation a baseball glove is far more important than any other sporting good because I thought about it. Bowling ball, Hey, you get your fingers fit a sized do bowling ball? No big deal? Basketball? These things are also interestingable you wear out, Yeah, you wear out. You wear out a tennis racket, maybe you upgrade to a new one. They're footballs ever changing with their technology too. You go to a you know, you toss around your buddies. It could be a nerve of an NFL size, a college size. It doesn't matter. A baseball glove, to me is the one sporting good that if you commit to it, you could have it for twenty five years or more.
Speaker 3: It's the most important sporting good of your lifetime. Fact And I hate to agree with rich And although we've treated gloves differently as time went on, because your kid will have a new one by next year, they do agree with you. I still agree with you. Everything else you get a new one the next year it gets old. A football a hell, these are things that wear and tearry.
Speaker 4: You get rid of them.
Speaker 3: The glove last. You get refurbished, relased. That glove could last a lifetime. They're for important, no doubt. Do you care for you fully found.
Speaker 1: The glove of a lifetime? Do you put your I always would put my finger outside the glove? Did you not?
Speaker 4: Always?
Speaker 3: But yeah, now they have a little petting for the glove to last your whole life through.
Speaker 4: I Actually, I'm.
Speaker 3: Trying to think if there's any other sporting piece of equipment that could compare, because there's something about it.
Speaker 1: I don't play hockey, but do you have a stick and this is a baseball back could break? Maybe you get a series of bad.
Speaker 3: About your clubs would go like my clubs, bros.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. You can replace a driver or putter with the same one and you wouldn't know wrap the handle. The way you want a glove is just you break it in. It becomes your hand.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like personalized you, only it's broken in the way you like it.
Speaker 2: You ever grab someone else's glove and they.
Speaker 3: Hate to have a certain flap and yeah, I like you ache floppy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: We're just you know what, I hate it, but he's right right.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, one more thing before we say, I have a great Thursday, rest of your night. I saw that at DraftKings and other sports books you could bet on whether or not Travis Kelcey is going to propose to Taylor Swift on Super Bowl Sunday. It's plus seven fifty meeting. You bet one hundred bucks, you win seven to fifty. So I got to ask a couple things where I usually find stadium and arena proposals at the top tier of lame.
Speaker 4: Like cliche, predictable.
Speaker 2: Cliche, predictable.
Speaker 1: But if you're Travis Kelcey and you're the first team to ever threepeate and you propose to the biggest pop star on the world, does all lame go out the window and it's like the dopest woman ever.
Speaker 3: It's like the fairy tale ending for the fairy tale couple. Again, I hate to agree with this guy, but I actually do agree here. But here's the catch, or, as you like to say.
Speaker 4: The caveat the rub. You're the rub.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're gonna pull this gesture, get down on the knee for the world to see after a three peat, which has never been done. A chief pet a three chief as they said, which makes no sense. That's got to be the ending, we sire, we said, fairy tale ending that means, yeah, you're saying goodbye to the NFL.
Speaker 1: He retires and they get married, and we never hear about tailor show to Dravis Kelcey again.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't care if we hear.
Speaker 2: About him again.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, that's sort of the bow. You just wrapped it up. That's the bow on top and the story it was nice Ga, we did.
Speaker 1: We saw at that point, we have we will have seen the beginning, middle, and end of a great story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, a right, it's cliche and all these things, but this would be the perfect ending for quote unquote the perfect couple. It sounds cheesy and obvious, huh, but I feel if this were to happen, I don't think it's impossible because there's so many people that want to see it. That needs to be his also, and I say by the football because then it just then it just drags on. Now, Yeah, just that's the ending, so they have it all right? Quick reminders guys, we're heading to Vegas for the Benevitez fight, so listen out live from Vegas, and then we go from Vegas to Nola to.
Speaker 4: New Orleans, so lots of great interviews.
Speaker 3: Were filling in for the Herd on the fifth, So lots of interviews, lots of time changes, but listen out for Covino and Rich. Follow us on social media to follow the schedule. Search at Covino and Rich at Fox Sports Radio. Can't wait to see you at the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: And tons of bonus podcasts because of all the interviews at the super Bowl. So don't see you that until then.
Speaker 4: See you in the over Promised Land.
Speaker 2: Come back da