Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast.
Speaker 2: The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots Training Camp.
Speaker 1: Well, I do still watch the news.
Speaker 2: Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot com have you covered?
Speaker 1: What did I miss yesterday? Now here to review.
Speaker 3: Today's practice the writers of Patriots dot com. All right, welcome into another edition of the Patriots Training Camp Cast. And we just came off the field here a little while ago. Guys, it was a red hot day and we were in the red zone. How do you like that?
Speaker 1: Pretty good go ahead.
Speaker 2: Mike, I was giving Fred.
Speaker 3: Let's say I take that as a call from so the field a little bit condensed today, a longer session, a little bit so off the top though, some housekeeping stuff. Matthew Judahm back out there participating, Paul. Maybe not like you know, first one up in all the drills. He wasn't throwing T shirts out to anybody, but he was back out there, so maybe that's a positive sign things are headed the right direction.
Speaker 1: No, I absolutely took it that way. He was kind of like jumping into the the drills a little bit more than he was those first four days. We didn't see the interaction with the fans that we had seen early on in camp. But yeah, when they went seven on seven, eleven on eleven, he was out there, no full pads. So we'll see what happens on Friday when they're expected to be in full pads. But a good good sign that whatever, you know, whatever differences they had on Monday, they talked about it. Gered Mayo talked before practice, said they had a conversation and he was back out there.
Speaker 3: It's mere another guy back at practice center. David Andrews out for a couple of days. Some personal reasons he shared with everybody why he was out. So good to get the captain back out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good to see him back out there. And I don't know if that had anything to do with the offense flowing better, but I thought just having your captain back out there, his presence being back out there, to me, it felt a noticeable shift in the offense and a good step in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so stay on that line, Paul, And that's of course what you know, everybody wants to really know Drake may and Jacoby Brissett. And you know, I thought today that it was another you know, solid day. It wasn't you know. Of course, we're in the red zone, so things are about to get harder and tough. We've been used to that with Bill Belichick's practices, where we were in the red zone constantly, so there were tighter windows, but you know, some places to be made, both by Jacoby and Drake May.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was more of a low red zone day too. On Tuesday they were a bit closer to the twenty so makes it even more difficult for the passing game when it gets that condensed. Talked a little bit to Christian Gonzales and Jonathan Jones after practice about it. They thought the communication could improve. They both felt like there was some missteps there. I thought Tayekwon Thornton, you know, had a decent day, you know, finding his finding some gaps in some of those communication errors. And I do think both quarterbacks, and I know everybody wants to talk about May, both quarterbacks, I thought, had some moments. It wasn't great. There were some misfires too, but I thought it was a better day for Drake May today.
Speaker 2: I like how Paul brings up Taekwon Thornton because I know for me personally, I have ragged on him a lot on Patriots unfiltered of saying like, for me, that's a guy who I don't think is gonna make this fifty three men roster, but I think he's stacked together some really good days. He had two catches today over Christian Gonzales and one on ones. And to me, if he keeps playing like that, he could get one of those roster spots in the wide receiver room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you bring it up to me. And that's just one of the points I made after these first group of practices over the first week, is that a lot of these wide receivers are, you know, making occasional plays Paul, But you know, it's it's just somebody hasn't really emerged as just like the guy consistently getting open, consistently catching. It's you know, sometimes you're making the catch. Sometimes we're seeing some drops. You mentioned, you know, Jalen Polk who's been very involved but had a kind of a double catch today on an which was a nice crossing round forty nice throll by Drake May. But you know, it just seems like that wide receiver room, it still seems like there's questions and pop Douglas getting more involved though, which is a good sign.
Speaker 1: Yeah. His first eleven on elevens of camp today, so that's a good sign that he's getting healthier. Yeah. I think you've seen days where Rager was good and days where you know Douglas is starting to get involved now and you see the you know Polk, you've seen Baker. I think Thornton has had as many of those days as any of them. I don't think anybody has been consistently the best receiver running camp, but I think you're starting to see, as Tamara said, Thornton stacked some days here and there and he's come on now. I think he had a good camp last year. I think he had a good camp as a rookie. Unfortunately both times he was injured before the summer had ended. So we'll see if he can show not just the consistency in his performance, but the durability to stay out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I will say one person who's been silent in that room, in my opinion, is Juju, And for me, it's like you really can't afford it with splitting reps with twelve guys to be silent, to be dropping catches like he did. Drake May had one right in his hands. It was beautiful throat drops it and I feel like we saw too much of that last season and he's done a lot of that in camp so far. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I mean tracking the reps, just not getting a lot of opportunities, even with guys like Rager and Booty both getting out there and them getting some chances. One more slight change that we've kind of seen. The offensive line have been pretty consistent, but suddenly today Vederian Lowe stepping in at left tackle seemed like he did okay, but that kick Kayden Wallace down to left tackle with Drake may So Tamarak kind of to your point, maybe Kayden Wallace stepping in a left tackle kind of maybe helped stabilize things a little bit there on that second line where Antonio Moffi was still playing center. I mean, David Andes got in a little bit, but it just seemed like, you know, things were a little bit better today for Drake may in that second offense with you know, Kate Wallace stepping in a left tackle.
Speaker 2: I agree. I feel like we're winding down the days of seeing all the shuffling in and out on the offensive line. I feel like now that David Andrews is back, because I know we had Nick LeVert in there for back to back practices. As David Andrews is out. Now that we have him back, hopefully have him back in tomorrow, we're going to really start seeing the offensive line and shape out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's I mean, a hugely important thing, and I mean I think all of us feel a little bit encouraged just the progress they're making and hard to know for sure. We'll you know, start to get a better sense of it once we get into the preseason. Last thing kind of circle around. Devon Godshaw announced yesterday sign and a contract extension with the team. Paul he spoke today, you know, happy to get the deal done to also just announced before we shot this that they signed Mike Purcell, another big defensive line in an interior space seed type. A little bit surprising to me. I just thought, you know, if we're going to sign another defensive lineman now the Godshaw's all set, it might be a little bit more in the mode of Christian Barmore, but kind of you know, look, it's we talked about this on Patriots Unfiltered. It's kind of a move the Patriots just had to make after Barbore got hurt. Godshaw's a valuable piece on first and second down, and really this was probably what the end result was on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get some depth in the run stuffing department, so we'll see if Purcell has has something to offer. But yeah, I think the Godschaw situation, he seemed really relieved, you know when he when he spoke about it after practice. I think it's stuff that players don't generally want to worry about, well, you know, once camp starts. So I think it if I think he said that, you know, his wife had sort of said, you know, just worry about what you what you can be grateful for, don't worry about what you don't have. So I think that's kind of the way the mindset that he had. And I give him credit because when he wasn't happy, unlike Judah, he was out there in the eleven on eleven's on Monday and Tuesday and then lo and behold it gets done.
Speaker 2: I really like the attitude that he's had throughout camp. Obviously one and more money seeing other teammates get deals done, but he held out, showed up, worked hard, and he didn't make a big fuss about it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well another practice in the books. We're getting back into pads. We think tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, big big practices, Paul, These are important ones.
Speaker 1: I make or break, might say Mike.
Speaker 3: But continuing to hope that the team can stack some of these days together because you know, they've had some positive developments and hopefully they can continue to build because let's face it, we got a preseason game coming up next Thursday, so be sure to stay with us all weekend Friday Saturday, we'll have these Patriots training camp casts to get you caught up on everything that's going on right back out there and training in camp this year. Thanks guys, Thank you for downloading this podcast.
Speaker 1: Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, please rate and review us.
Speaker 2: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us. Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.