Speaker 1: Pushkin too quick. No, it's perfect push kit stuff. You got it.
Speaker 2: Just because you own something, even with a patent or copyright, it doesn't mean that you can necessarily make money off of it profit off of it, because what you need is the power to protect your ownership, protect the thing you own from the people who want to take it. This is a lesson that the songwriters of the United States of America learned about one hundred years ago. In the early nineteen hundreds, you could get famous writing a hit song, you could own that song, and you would still be poor. Songwriters were mostly employees or contractors, handing over their work for just a few bus But that all changed when the meek and talented songwriters of this country, guys who tinkled pianos all day long, they banned it together and decided to play hardball. The songwriters adopted mafia like tactics, and they held music in America hostage until everyone agreed to pay them what they were owed and more.
Speaker 3: I'm Robert Smith and I'm Jacob Goldstein. This is Business History, a show about the history of business.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is that music is designed to be copied. The whole point is you want to play it again and again by different people. You know, you hear the song, you join in singing, you listen once you can hummet back. But the problem, of course, is if something can be easily copied, it's hard to make sure that the owner gets paid.
Speaker 3: This problem that the songwriters were trying to solve is a big it's a big idea problem. It's a problem for anyone who owns intellectual property, whether that's software or a podcast. You make a thing, you technically own it, but it's easy to copy.
Speaker 2: How do you get paid?
Speaker 3: How do you control, really control your intellectual property.
Speaker 2: There is copyright protection, and there was so in the early nineteen hundreds, but songwriters realized that that protection wasn't enough. They needed power. They needed to band together. They created an industry group so powerful that it persists to this day, and the system they built ended up making songwriting so valuable. It created billionaire musicians and brought Wall Street calling Duomo. The songwriter's revolution starts Jacob. In nineteen thirteen, a composer named Victor Herbert He's feeling the Peckish, walks into a restaurant in Times Square called Shanley's. Now Times Square. Shanley's was one of those places to see and be seen, very famous clientele, known for their lobsters. In nineteen thirteen, and there's a and playing in the corner. You know, it's just a racous, fun atmosphere. And Herbert at this time is a pretty big deal. He gets a good table. He's helped take American theater from sort of vaudeville shows to the story based musicals that we hear today. He wrote the musical Babes in Toyland in nineteen oh three. And so Herbert's eating lobster whatever, right, and then he hears it the band starts playing a song from a new Broadway show called Sweethearts.
Speaker 3: We've actually brought in our own piano player today, pushed his own Benfefer.
Speaker 2: Victor. Herbert is sitting at his table, and he knows this song because he wrote it. It's his and last time he checked, he was not getting a cut of any of that sweet Shanley's lobster money, thanks Ben. So after his meal, Herbert calls up Shanley, the owner, and he informs him that, you know, copyrights do exist even in nineteen thirteen, and I own the copyright on the song. So I need to be paid, Herbert says, for the performance of my music, and Shenley disagrees. I don't know, maybe he's in a bad mood. He could have just given a few bucks, but he says, you know what, we haven't charged admission to the restaurant. It's not a performance in a concert hall. It's just playing in the background while people eat. We can play whatever we want in the background. It's immaterial.
Speaker 3: But think about it from Herbert's point of view, this is this moment in the early twentieth century when the country is urbanizing. People are moving to cities and it's getting richer. People have more leisure time, they're going out more. So there are more and more of these places where people are paying to whatever eat dinner, and in the background somebody is playing copyrighted music.
Speaker 2: And it is expected at this point that you would have what are now known as hit songs that weren't really hit songs before this. This is before the radio and really when photographs are starting. So the hit songs were the songs you saw on Broadway or that you saw when you went to Shanley's.
Speaker 3: If you're Herbert like it seems good that there's a hit song and it's your hit song and everybody's playing it, but now you want to get paid, and it's never gonna be worth your time to try and figure out if a piano player is playing your song in some random restaurant or bar. Impossible to know, impossible to know. And there's this useful idea here, which is the collective action problem, right, Like, think of all the composers, all of the Herbert's writing songs. Like if there were some way they could all get together and act, they could maybe figure out a way to make it worth getting paid for each little performance. But how do you do that.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you how you do that. You start out with a lawsuit. So Victor Herbert sues Shanley and Shanley. He has his own collective action problem because he doesn't want to, like have to figure out whose songs he's playing and pay them all. So he goes to the National Association of Hotel and Restaurant Owners. They all get together to back his legal defense. They want a court to say that music in the background doesn't matter, you do not have to pay the composers. And Herbert's is fine. I've got friends too, and he assembles eight heavy hitters from the music publishing industry at a German restaurant downtown called Lucho's. They were not going to go to Shanley's for this, so the songwriters decide to form a cartel. They decide to found in nineteen fourteen the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers ASCAP. It is known as ASCAP, and I'm not going to say the whole thing, will just refer to it as as CAP going forward, and they start recruiting all of the songwriters in town. There is, in fact a district of New York City where the songwriters all work. It's called tinpan Alley, apparently because the sound of out of tune pianos sounds like tinpans being banged together, you know, evocative. It's old New York and Tinpanaley is where all the publishers of music exist, right. And the members of Tinpanaley are heavy hitters like Prepare Yourself, Irving Berlin truly, yeah, John Phillips SUSA, the Marches, Yeah, you need them all. And a budding songwriter named Gene Buck you don't know him back, He's going to come back into this story later. So the lawsuit goes on Herbert versus Shanley Company winds its way to the Supreme Court in nineteen seventeen.
Speaker 3: Love a Supreme Court case.
Speaker 2: You're going to love this one because Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes writes the decision Junior, and he rejects the argument that this music was just incidental to the restaurant that it's playing in the background. His decision said, if the music did not pay, it would be given up. If it pays, it pays out of the public pocketbook. Whether it pays or not, the purpose of employing it is profit and that is enough. So it basically means, just to be clear, like, you could play and sing it at.
Speaker 3: Your house if you have your friends over, Yeah, But if you charge your friends ten bucks to come in and you play the music, then you got to give ass CAAP a cut.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It means even if you're just harmlessly using music in a podcast and the podcast has advertising and you're making money off of it, then you have to pay the people who wrote the music.
Speaker 3: Excellent example.
Speaker 2: The ruling established the power of as cap and they had a sort of two part plan. The first part was they are going to start enforcing the rules about copyright. So essentially, as CAP sends out music cops people who go to the big establishments like Shandley's and listen and write down all the music that's played, and then they sue the restaurant owner or the burlesque hall. And of course they weren't getting everyone, but it's a huge, huge scary thing to be slapped with a loss, and everyone knows they're going to lose the lawsuit, so now they have the restaurant's attention. And this is when ASCAP offers an easy way out, like, yeah, you could try to avoid us and we'll just sue you all eventually, or you could pay us a tiny percentage of the money you make in your restaurant and then you can play anything you want from our collective of musicians. Hu as CAP and TERN distributed the royalties they got from these establishments to its members, they had a very complicated system, but basically, if you were a big popular songwriter and people knew your name, you would get more money from the royalties. If you had more hits, if you produced more songs, you'd get more money. And the money was technically shared between the songwriters and the publishing houses who were marketing the music.
Speaker 3: I mean, I will say, this seems like a nice system, right because on the one hand, you want everybody to get paid who should get paid, But on the other there would be all this friction otherwise, like counting every song you play if you're a restaurant is such a ridiculous thing to have to do. Like you're not in the counting songs business. You're in the restaurant business. And this does seem to solve that.
Speaker 2: It does, and you know, it works out to whatever pennies per song. But it's great for the musicians, and it probably ends up being great for the restaurants and such that they don't have to think about this whole thing. Now. It is worth mentioning that as CAP did not let just anyone in. They had rules. You had to know how to read music, you had to have the right pedigree, meaning that for the most part, jazz and blues musicians, hillbilly musicians as they were called at the time. We now know that as country music they were left out of this whole thing. It was you know, the Broadway, the composers, it.
Speaker 3: Was New York thinking it was better than everybody else exactly.
Speaker 2: By nineteen twenty one, this whole thing is actually paying off for as Cap. Whatever they were spending in enforcing their copyrights, they're getting more money back. Everything's working out for its members until a brand new technology emerges.
Speaker 3: Your favorite technology.
Speaker 2: A miracle in the ether. It's radio. November two, nineteen twenty first radio broadcast out of Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: This is kd KA of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: The Westinghouse Corporation like Westinghouse in our Edison, Tesla and Westinghouse show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they wanted to sell radios electronics, so they had to put something on the air. But Jacob, I wanted you to hear this part very first broadcast ever. Listen to what the announcer says.
Speaker 4: We'd appreciate it if anyone hearing this broadcast would communicate with us, as we are very anxious to know how far the broadcast is reaching and how it is being received.
Speaker 3: Email us at business History at Pushkin dot of him.
Speaker 2: I love the very first hour of the very first broadcast. They're like, do we have any listeners? Write us or leave a coment below. Guys, that was a news broadcast. That's how it started out. But very quickly radio stations started to play sporting events, radio dramas, and music. And importantly, at this time, music on the radio was played live. They would bring in orchestras to play the music, just like in the restaurants and for as cap they're like, okay, like, what is radio except a dance hall of the air. Of course you have to pay the piper, or pay the person who wrote the music for the piper. But you know how it goes. There's a series of court cases and radio stations they make all these arguments. These are gonna sound familiar. The first one is the radio says, since there is no audience in the studio, we are not giving a public performance.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just private.
Speaker 2: It's just private, just in the studio. If you're listening in, that's not our concern.
Speaker 3: It's literally their concern.
Speaker 2: Go on. The second argument they made, and you'll hear this one today, we make the songwriters f so why should we pay them?
Speaker 3: They should pay us. That was in fact the payola scandal of a few decades later, which was illegal.
Speaker 2: But the third one was radio does not broadcast music. Jacob it emanates electrical energy.
Speaker 3: Hamburger's not chopped ham, it's chopped steak.
Speaker 2: Obviously, these were stupid arguments. In nineteen twenty four, the FCC Federal Communications Commission rules that radio is, of course a public performance and copyright is in effect you have to pay the musicians. As CAP has won, not only are they getting a small amount of money from restaurants and dance halls and that sort of thing, they now get a share of the money from the biggest technology of the time, the thing that is going to take over music in America radio. So far in this podcast, I have been sort of pulling for the little guy, the songwriters, but they are about to go way too far in their quest to control music.
Speaker 3: That's what cartels do. This is a cartel story. They get together, there's a collective action problem there the little guys, but then they go crazy with their cartel power.
Speaker 2: They become the big guys. It starts with the election of a new president of the organization. His name is Jean Buck. I mentioned him before. He's one of the composers. He is the composer of get Ready. Ben Daddy has a sweetheart and mother is her name. Don't let that sweet tune fool you. Jean Buck is a total shark. Gene Buck is about to run as Cap like the Godfather.
Speaker 3: What is some radio guy gonna wake up with a bloody microphone in his bed?
Speaker 2: Ah when our program continues.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're back. We got Jean Buck. Gene but is apparently not a sweetheart running as Cap. What happens next?
Speaker 2: He's about to do the thing that cartels always do, which is to squeeze their customers just a bit too hard until they squeal. Bucks started out actually as a cover illustrator in Tin pan Alley. You know, the way you sold sheet music was you had to have a picture on the cover like, oh this looks great. I'm gonna buy this for my kid to learn how to play the piano. And then his eyesight started to fail him and he became someone who wrote lyrics. Okay, that's fine, and he became very successful at it. He was known as mister Broadway, so successful that he had a mansion out on Long Island next to f Scott.
Speaker 3: Fitzgerald Gatsby Gatsbys.
Speaker 2: It is a rumored that his parties might have inspired the great Gatsby, although now that they think of it, Everyone on Long Island probably says that about themselves, right, So.
Speaker 3: I mean if they were rich and full of despair and had great parties. Sure.
Speaker 2: So he has an orchard out there. Vineyard apparently doesn't drink. Time Magazine calls him the general Lissimo of the clangorous army of tinpan alleymen.
Speaker 3: That is the timiest sentence that ever timed.
Speaker 2: Why do you give us the new Yorkist sentence ever new Yorker? So the New Yorker said of him, they said, the sentimental, soft spoken lyric writer is the most powerful private citizen on earth. He can stop the broadcasting of popular music if he says stop jazz must vanish from the air. It's interesting they would mentioned jazz because gen Buck did not seem like a big fan of black music or black performers. He didn't let black musicians mostly or not many of them into as CAP. He's a driving force behind ASCAP's exclusion of blues and R and B, as well as hillbilly musicians. So at this point it is all about the radio, whatever else. As CAP was doing sheet music sales, photographs, player pianos, like the radio is making the most money, and so Gene Buck says, we go where the money is. We are going to squeeze them. In nineteen thirty five, they make a deal with radio stations. Radio has to pay a fixed fee to as CAP of five percent of their advertising revenue five percent a year.
Speaker 3: It's a good time to be writing songs.
Speaker 2: I guess it creat time to be writing songs. It works out to millions of dollars for as CAP. And at this point in nineteen thirty nine, as CAP does control about ninety percent of music copyrights. They're in bed with Hollywood. Their members are writing songs for Broadway, they are running popular culture. Now, radio stations obviously are a little upset with this situation, you know, having to give away five percent of their advertising revenues. They go to the federal government. The federal government, it's a complicated story, but they decide that for the time being, they are not going to challenge this cartel. So instead the radio stations go to the state legislatures, state by state. In the mid to late nineteen thirties, they go and try to convince them to pass laws against this mafia like behavior, and they succeed in a few states, Nebraska, Louisiana, Tennessee, and importantly for the story, Montana. They all pass laws that forbid the collection of performance fees by joint action.
Speaker 3: Collection of So it's like it's like a racket, Like I'd hate to see what would happen to your radio station if you did not pay me.
Speaker 2: They say it is extortion because it's not a free market negotiation with the rights are Montana should be able. Montana Radio Station should be able to make their own deals, which they cannot under this system.
Speaker 3: They're trying to undo the cartel, trying to sort of unsolve the collective action problem.
Speaker 2: And it's gonna get hot this fight. Montana Radio Station gets a Justice of the Peace to issue a warrant for jen Buck, the president of ASCAP, on extortion charges. This man cannot go to Montana because there is a warrant out for his arrest, and in fact, that warrant starts to be circulated to other states. Jeenbuck is visiting Phoenix, Arizona, nowhere near Montana, and he gets arrested on extortion. The sheriff sets the bail at ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Not Treville, no A.
Speaker 2: Buck is in Phoenix, it's a it's a holiday weekend, doesn't know where he's gonna get the money. He calls up a friend and the friend is okay, I will send a certified check from Chase National Bank to the sheriff, and the sheriff apparently replied, I'm one of those old fashioned fellas, and I don't know what a certified check is. And I have never heard of this Chase National Bank.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that sheriff will admit. I bet he's running for offense. I bet he's got three hundred thousand dollars in an account in the Chase National Bank.
Speaker 2: And arresting in New York. Songwriter is good forgetting votes, good forgetting votes. Eventually Buck gets out, the charges are dropped. Montana's like, this is ridiculous, but this shows you how serious this fight was getting. So the government's sniffing around. Broadcasters are pushing back. These should be a sort of warning to ASCAP to be like, hey, be a little bit of a benevolent monopoly here, you know, give you give your customers a break. Yeah, take the money, just get rich enough, don't push it too far. Gene Buck announces that they're going to raise rates. They are going to double them, in fact, from five percent to ten percent of the broadcasters advertising revenue. And this is going to go into effect when the contract expires at the end of nineteen forty December thirty first, nineteen forty. If you don't pay us, you will have no music on your air in nineteen forty one. So what happens The broadcasters freak. They're just like, Oh, we got to negotiate, We got to negotiate. They set up this big meeting between the heads of all the big radio networks and Gene Buck. They have a room at the Ritz Tower. They're gonna hash this out. The radio executives arrive. Buck is late and it's an hour two hours. He doesn't show. They call askap there, They're like, where's Gene Buck, Like we're supposed to negotiate. They're like, oh, Gene Bucks on the West coast. In fact, he's on a train en route to the Bohemian Grove.
Speaker 3: I know that the Bohemian Grove is like where famous rich people go camping with each other or something, right whatever, Henry Kissinger and Bill Clinton. It's where powerful and rich people go to meet in secret.
Speaker 2: And if you think of the.
Speaker 3: Arc so far. You know, we started with a composer walking into a restaurant having no power over the fact that his music was being played and he wasn't being paid. And now you have this guy going to hobnob with the most powerful elites instead of meeting with the people who want to negotiate with him, presumably in good faith.
Speaker 2: The broadcasters call a war meeting, yes, love a war meeting, and they say, how do you fight a cartel? And the answer is we form a rival cartel. They decide they are going to build Broadcast Music Incorporated b m I. There's a standing ovation and the idea behind BMI is there's a lot of music that ASCAP has not captured, country, blues, R and B, gospel, Latin artists, and so what if we sign those artists and we go to radio stations and say you don't have to deal with ASCAP, you can deal with us BMI. It's amazing when you say that, right, this is what nineteen thirty nine. So they don't know what's coming. But when you say country music.
Speaker 3: And R and B and blues, they're making the rock and roll cardtel Yeah, and Latin artists I'm just gonna say, Irving Berlin did not play the Super Bowl. Yes.
Speaker 2: BMI starts its operations in February of nineteen forty. They have ten months. Ten months to sign up radio stat right, because at the end of the year, that's when the ascap ultimatum hits.
Speaker 3: So if they don't do it in time, the radio stations won't have music after New.
Speaker 2: Year's BMI recruits a guy named Carl Haviln as their station relations manager. It's going to be his job to sell stations on this plan. There's this really charming story about him that illustrates what it is he does. In nineteen thirty five, he was working for a radio station. He'd been in touch with Amelia Earhart, the famous flyer. She was about to attempt to be the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to the US mainland eighteen hours, and she was worried about falling asleep in the cockpit. So Haverlin and the others at the radio station have this sort of publicity stunt they've decided to do. They are going to beam music to her plane, specifically for her her playlist, and she's going to like call in on the radio to say if she's okay, great, great idea. But at three oh five am, they don't hear from Amelia Airheart. Again at three thirty five they don't hear from her their words, she's gone down. And at four o'clock in the morning, a Millia Earhart comes through, sounding a little bleary. So Havilin asks her on the radio, what is your favorite song? And she says the River Valley country music, and Havelin says, to the band hit it.
Speaker 5: Dolan said, by myself, and.
Speaker 2: Then the song keeps a millionaire heart awake. She continues to fly and she lands in Oakland. It was a hoedown of the air. Thanks Ben, and this is a good glimpse of something that Havelin seemed to understand that gene Buck did not. A lot of Americans didn't actually like the high falutint Broadway music. Maybe they pretended they did. It was certainly on the radio, but a lot of people wanted to hear a lot of other things, local songwriters, jazz and blues like this is what people we were listening to in their bars and honkey talks outside of New York, and they wanted to hear it on the radio. And I should say here that this story and most of our information about Carl Havelin and BMI comes from a few oral histories courtesy of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
Speaker 3: I will say our producer, Gabriel Hunter Chang, who did most of the research for this show, was sitting next to him in the office and there was this moment a few weeks ago when he was like yes, and I was like what, and he was like, we get the oral histories. It's like that is a great producer.
Speaker 2: So the charming Carl Havelin is the man who really gets BMI off the ground. He's traveling around the country talking to station managers getting them to sign licenses with BMI, very similar to the ASCAP licenses where you can play all of our roster of artists if you give us a small amount of your revenues. His goal is to get seven hundred and fifty stations, and BMI is starting to get some hits. They work out a hit arrangement of Genie with the light brown hair. They start bringing in the country music musician the Carter family, very famous Jimmy Rodgers.
Speaker 3: What are the fathers of country music?
Speaker 2: I believe a yodeler. A yodeler, that's what people wanted to hear, not yodelin' on Broadway. The end of the contract with ASCAP is looming December thirty one, nineteen forty, Jean Buch planning to pull American music off the air, and as the clock hit midnight, people around the nation were wondering, what is going to happen. They tuned in and they heard, Wait.
Speaker 3: Isn't hold An signed in the public domain?
Speaker 2: Yes, anyone could play it as long as it's not an ASCAP arrangement. But everyone's waiting to see what happens After Ben finishes playing this song, will there be any music at all on the radio? Will they just turn the whole system off?
Speaker 3: Thanks? Ben?
Speaker 2: After the song finishes, the music continues into the night. Listeners thought that maybe as CAP had finally made a deal, maybe the radio stations gave in. But no, it was BMI music. They had slotted in BMI music, and nobody really noticed or even really cared. Music is music. They partied into the night, except for maybe one man, Gene Buck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you form a cartel, you better make sure that there's not a substitute for what you're selling.
Speaker 2: He thought there would be people in the streets being like, where's my Gushwin, where's my having Berlin?
Speaker 3: And they were just yodeling all night long.
Speaker 2: They were yodling all night long. Ten months later, as CAP caves, they agree to much more modest terms than the ten percent they were asking for. In fact, they didn't even get the five percent of advertising revenues which they had before they negotiated. Now two point seventy five percent of radio station revenues had to be paid.
Speaker 3: Shout out competition. I know right of competition.
Speaker 2: I know half of what they've been paying before. Buck is eventually removed as president of as CAP, Carl Havelin becomes the president of BMI.
Speaker 3: I guess the songwriters don't necessarily love competition, although the formerly excluded songwriters love competition right. The only people who don't love it are the klubby tin panale New York songwriters who pushed it too far.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm saying the Jacob Goldstein line. But the pie can get bigger, more music, more songwriters, more revenues, more advertising, more money for everyone.
Speaker 3: Yes, two point seventy five If you can grow the pie ten x is more than ten percent at the old smaller pie.
Speaker 2: Love that I've learned something from you. The broadcasters in the American public end up with music from both as CAP and BMI. There is a truce in the war, and they're still a little competitive, which is great. BMI signs Elvis Presley, as CAP scoffs the rock and roll. That's not going to happen. The Gershwines are coming back. Then as CAP signs Bob Dylan, Hey, acoustic Bob Dylan, because that's more, it's more classy, that's more as CAP. And then when Dylan goes electric, as CAP has to kind of go electric too, and it opens the door for them to represent rock and roll. You see this progress, this progress, But the big picture is that the two organizations have created a calm and very profitable market for songwriting, a common profitable market. And who loves a calm and profitable market? Wall Street. Wall Street takes a look at this and says, we want some of this action. After the break this next act, we're going to talk about a sort of unintended consequence of the as CAP and bm MY fight. At this point, because of as cap'ain BMI songs are not just ditties that you sing along to. They are revenue generating machines. They have a life of their own.
Speaker 3: And a thing we know.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So we're getting into the like sixties seventies, this is a time when intellectual property more generally is growing as a thing. The owners of intellectual property, not just songwriters, but people like say the Walt Disney Company, are pushing for stricter intellectual property protection and longer.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: One of the really striking things you see in the twentieth century is copyright keeps getting longer and longer and longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And as capain, BMI helped push for copyright protection to be extended to the songwriter's lifetime plus fifty years. Eventually it'll be seventy years, so years plus plus their lifetime. Yeah, So a song can live for more than a high hundred years. And at this point the song can live forever. The revenues can live for more than one hundred years. Right. And at this time the number of places that you could get a little slice of revenue from was growing because you not only had radio, you had TV and movies. You had records and then eight tracks and cassettes and eventually CDs, and then you had the rise of old these radio stations, the hits of the seventies, eighties, nineties, and today, where a song like Hotel California is played every single day until the end of time.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of pennies.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of pennies. To put in financial terms, a song became an asset. It's protected and monetized by as captain BMI, along with the music labels and the publishers, and it generates a predictable cash flow, as we said, maybe for more than one hundred years. A great song is essentially like a long term bond.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like especially a hit. Right when you think about the one hundred year cash flow that is your Hotel California or whatever, it's what you know. People are going to play every day until the end of time. You can check out any time you like, but the royalties will never leave.
Speaker 2: People start to figure out that these assets, we're going to call them assets now, not songs. You can buy and sell other people's rights. You can assemble them into a giant portfolio. And one of the first to do this in a notable way was a well known financial genius, the King of Pop, Michael Jackson. Here's how the story goes. One night in nineteen eighty one, Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney, who he's a member of the Beatles or was hanging out at McCartney's estate outside of London. They're getting to know each other. Michael's interested in writing some songs with Paul McCartney, and in fact they are going to collaborate on a few songs including say say say what.
Speaker 3: You want, Don't lead Me in no direction.
Speaker 2: Direction, something like that. And McCartney is talking to Michael Jackson about the music business, and McCartney is saying, you know, it's so important that you own the rights to your songs, because in fact, he and John Lennon had lost some of the rights to their songs back in the early days. They were now owned by someone else. And McCartney says, you know, you know, someday I would love to like reown my music, So don't make the mistake I made. And McCartney's actually showing off a little bit. He's is showing Michael Jackson that that he's bought some other songs. So McCartney had bought the Buddy Holly catalog and some Broadway tunes, and Michael Jackson jokes, well, you know, someday I should buy all of your music, Paul. Well, at least McCartney thinks it's a joke, but it's no joke. Michael Jackson happens to be sitting on nine million dollars. Used to be a lot, used to be a lot, and you'd earn that in nineteen eighty and he's thinking about where to park it, and McCartney has this suggestion. So Michael Jackson starts buying songs, music rights for songs like run Around, Sue and The Wanderer, classic songs from the nineteen fifties. He buys the whole Sly and the family Stone catalog for half a million dollars. I know I would buy the music for half a million dollars, and it's a good deal because Michael Jackson ends up making that money back when someone covers a Sly in Family Stone hit. This is all working, and then Michael Jackson goes for the big score, the thing he'd joked about. An Australian media tycoon named Holmes A Court puts the Beatles catalog up for sale in nineteen eighty four. So Jackson makes his move. He makes an offer for the Beatles catalog of forty million dollars. Remember signing the family stone was half a million. Forty million dollars is huge. It's a very high valuation. I mean, it is the Beatles, but we didn't know how much songs were worth back in this day. People in the industry think he's losing his mind, but there is in fact a bidding war. Richard Branson of Virgin Records throws his hat in the ring and in August of nineteen eighty five, Jackson wins at forty seven point five million dollars, plus he has to appear at a telethon fundraiser in.
Speaker 3: Perth, Australia. Incredible.
Speaker 2: I love that that got thrown in there. And at this point this is the most expensive publishing purchase ever by an individual and Michael Jackson, this is really interesting. He agreed to exclude one song, one Beatles song, from the purchase. The man who was selling it wanted to gift his daughter one Beatles song, which is pretty adorable. He's kind of hoping that she'll pick Yesterday, which probably is worth the most money. His daughter chooses Penny Lane and owns the rights to this day.
Speaker 3: I'm sure she's doing fine.
Speaker 2: Jackson also doing fine, thrilled to have the Beatles collection. Paul McCartney not so happy. He felt like he had made it clear that he wanted the Beatles catalog, and Jackson has not only bought it, but if you think about it, has greatly increased what it would cost for McCartney to buy those songs back. And pretty quickly Michael Jackson starts, you know, trying to make money off of his investment of the Beatles songs, doing something that Paul McCartney says he would never do, like sell Beatles songs to advertisers.
Speaker 3: I remember, actually, is this the eighties? I remember in the eighties there was this famous Nike ad where they played Revolution, the Beatles song Revolution, and I, being the target for that ad, loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of hippies didn't love it, and Paul McCartney didn't love it, like this was not something they wanted to do with their music. And apparently Jackson said, oh, Paul, it's just business. It ended up being a great business for Michael Jackson. He doubled his money when he sold the rights later to Sony, And the lesson of all of this for the world was, these songs are way more valuable than we thought as assets. Now, Michael Jackson was a simple by hold and sell investor. He saw an underpriced asset, bought it, sold it for double. But once songs are assets, you can do all sorts of financial engineering to them. The next step in our story comes from David Bowie round control to Majo.
Speaker 3: All right, it's Bowie again.
Speaker 2: In the nineteen nineties, David Bowie owned fifty percent of the rights to his catalog, which you know, for a rock and roll star who was perhaps using drugs, like, that's a high percentage. Like he had kept fifty percent. The problem was the other fifty percent was owned by his manager, whom he despised, hated his manager. And you can imagine if you're David Bowie driving along in California and a song comes on the radio and it's your song, you should feel great. But in fact, he felt miserable that half of the royalties from that song was going to a man that he hated. So he wants to buy back all of his rights, and his financial advisors come up with a scheme that will allow him to do it by inventing a new financial instrument, or at least a new way to use an older financial instrument. In nineteen ninety seven, Bowie packages two hundred and eighty seven of his songs and copyrights from Life on Mars to Ashes to Ashes, and he puts them into a special purpose vehicle, a securitization pool.
Speaker 3: A securitization pool, you're ringing the two thousand and eight financial crisis bell, right, Like anybody who has read about the financial crisis or listen to a plent of money talking about the financial crisis might remember. The securitization pool is when you take some set of assets, typically that have some stream of income attached to them, like a mortgage. Yeah. So if you take one hundred mortgages, you put them into one special purpose vehicle. You put them into one bundle, and then you sell off slices of that bundle. Those are the securities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sell off slices of the revenue that comes from the bundle.
Speaker 3: Yes, So you buy a slice of a mortgage backed security, and every month you get some money as people pay their mortgage or I guess in the case of Bowie, every month or every quarter, whatever, you get a slice of his royalties.
Speaker 2: Yes, so this is the genius of the plan. In the old days, David Bowie, if you needed money, would just sell the rights to his songs and then he wouldn't own them anymore. But by putting them in this pool, he still owned his songs. He was just promising the revenue to whoever would invest in this vehicle. So we offer something that is cold colloquially a Bowie bond. It pays seven point nine percent interest, and it gets bought mostly by an insurance company. You know, the show's company is thinking, well, we need to invest our money somewhere.
Speaker 3: Well, and insurance companies have long term liabilities. They know they're going to have to pay out for decades, and as you were saying before, songs are now long term assets and they want to match their assets and their liabilities.
Speaker 2: So boy ends up getting fifty five million dollars from this deal, and he uses the money to buy the other half of his music rights from the guy he I hate.
Speaker 3: You so much, I'm going to give you fifty five million dollars.
Speaker 2: But he's a musician and now he owns his rights. This is a happy ending to the story, and it's very clever. Now this did not work out as well for the investors because just as David Bowie does, this is really the peak of the music industry as we know it, right, CDs are making a ton of money. Everyone's like, this money will continue forever, and that's how we're going to value the Bowie bonds. And then music becomes essentially free on the Internet. People start to steal it with Napster and LimeWire and all of this, and music industry revenues plunge, including royalties paid to David Bowie songs, and those bonds end up being rated junk at some point. But but this drew the attention of the financial world, and if you have a ton of money, it just becomes another thing you're looking to invest in.
Speaker 3: It's an asset cluss. I mean, I got interested a few years ago in this company called Hypnosis Uh with a G, so I'll try to spell it. Founded by this guy Merk Mercuriatus, who is this music business guy who started a company and it actually became publicly traded for a while. And all they did was buy up the rights two songs.
Speaker 2: Tens of thousands of songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, billions they sent I think more than two billion dollars. I wound up getting bought by Blackstone in the end classic finance story.
Speaker 2: Last year, investors including Blackstone, Carlisle, and Michigan's State pension fund who shout out to pension funds, they've raised at least four point four billion dollars using songs by Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and John Lennon and Paul McCartney packaged into securities. And you'll notice, Jacob, you recognize the names of those musicians. A side effect of the financialization of music is that it makes superstars even more more rich.
Speaker 3: That's always heartwarming to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you're a financial asset, it also makes sense for these companies to spend more money promoting you, meaning that you're worth more and the securities are worth more and you'll make even more money. Basically, a lot of musicians are where they were one hundred years ago before as cap They're making a little bit from selling the music that they own, but in order to make real money, they got to start to perform in the burlesque calls, you know, the beer halls, the restaurants, Shanley's of Times Square and make their money from something that hasn't been financialized yet.
Speaker 3: T shirt sales Merch Merch. Today's live music was provided by Ben f Heffrey. The show was produced, reported, and written by Gabriel hundred Chang. It was engineered by Sarah Brughere. Our showrunner and editor is Ryan Dilley. I'm Jacob Goldstein. I'm on Exit, Jacob Goldstein.
Speaker 2: Robert Smith at Radio Smith wherever you do that kind of thing. Thanks for listening.