Speaker 1: Smell us.
Speaker 2: Now, lady, welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the Metater Podcast. Welcome to me Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time. That's one pm for our friends in Kalamazoo, Michigan, on Thursday May twenty second, exactly one week before my forty seventh birthday. Okay, yeah, I'm fresh out of a yoga studio. But right now we're live for me Eater World headquarters in Bozeman. I'm your host, Yanisma tell Us, and today I'm joined by Brody Henderson and Corey Caulkins. On today's show, we're gonna chat mountain lions with my friend Mart George. We're trying a new segment called gear Talk, where we talk about equipment we love. We'll pause for listener feedback, so get those questions coming in the chat. We each brought in a special item that will share and show and tell. We might have a conversation with fishing guy Josh Miller and his Lucky Fishing Charm and Turkey co Captain Ryder. I don't know if I pronounced that right. It's got kind of a funny spelling. We'll discuss haircuts as well, but first we're going to tell hunting stories. Corey Brody. Great to see you, fellas. Corey, do you smell that updog?
Speaker 3: You know we had about a dozen hot dogs in here last week? Is that the updog you're referring to?
Speaker 2: What's up dog? Is the answer to my question?
Speaker 3: Oh what's up dog?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, not much.
Speaker 2: Gay For those of you listening in at home, These boys thought that joke would really land with you guys, So I hope you're all giggling.
Speaker 4: That wasn't my joke. That was Corey's joke.
Speaker 3: Ori and Phil, Hey, this is your script. Just remember that.
Speaker 2: I'm owning it. I'm gonna own it. It does smell. I'm not smelling it, but you guys are saying you smell hot dogs because a week ago Randall was in here pounding hot dogs. Did anybody else have any I had one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Phil had one. I think Lake and Tony Peterson had one. It was dog week, so we celebrated four legged dogs and the food variety hot dogs, the Wiener dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm kind of sorry I missed out on that.
Speaker 3: You should have been here. Yeah, we had some steamed buns and some hot mustard.
Speaker 2: Super tasty hot mustard as in spicy or warmed up.
Speaker 3: Well, it was warmed up when you put it on the hot dog.
Speaker 4: I like sweet hot mustard.
Speaker 3: Oh, I like the spicy brown.
Speaker 2: We recently at Turkey Camp had Olympia provisions frankfurter. Those jokers. I'm not kidding. I didn't measure them, but they're over a foot long. It says right on the package. More meat than your bunk can handle.
Speaker 4: Wow, So did you double bottom?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I cut him in half and went went to two francs in one.
Speaker 4: Bun, cook him on sticks or on a stove, a stove.
Speaker 2: Top yep, yep. Just made it quick and easy and got everybody fed. But yeah, extremely tasty frankfurt. They also make this sausage become fond of. It's a I don't know, pretty plain Jane pork sausage, but it stuff. It's got some chunks of Swiss cheese in it, and then smoked just a little bit delicious. Wow. So kind of Olympia prevision. Like a cheddar brought, or like a cheddar brought but upscale up high end, yes, no high tempt cheese in there, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where can you find these?
Speaker 2: It's legit. I believe you can get them. I know for sure because the owner was telling me that he recently got into Whole Foods, which he was very happy about. But I think you can get him all over the place. But yeah, Olympia Provisions. Check it out. Yeah, it's Memorial weekend. Go get your hot Oh yeah, there you go. You want to try something different than just the old Oscar Meyer hunt stories. Who wants to go first?
Speaker 4: Well, you're you're up first. It looks like, oh well, unless you want to be like the big Finally, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Listen, I got it. I got a couple of dandies. I'm gonna start with this one. Have you guys ever heard Steven Ranella blow on a crow call?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he's not I know where you're going with this. I don't think he's trying to sound like a crow He's just trying to make a bunch of like irritating noise.
Speaker 2: You're one hundred percent right. I know this as well. I've always been like right next to him, right when he blows his loud one and then he goes I know it doesn't sound like a crow call, but it gets results, you know, And I'm like okay, cool, Yeah, that works. Okay, this is what happened this weekend though. Maybe and my youngest are out, get on a bird in the roost, aren't quite in the right spot, have a hand, fly down just out of range. But then she goes over little rise. Gobbler follows her, so we end up sort of paralleling them along. He's gobbling decent. We're like peeking over these little hills. I can see them. They're in this giant medal. So we're kind of pinned, and I'm telling Mabel, listen, we're just gonna be patient, and when they make a mistake by going into a little drawer around a corner, we're gonna make a move. And Maybel don't care if we call the bird in or if she bush wackx it right, she just wants a dead gobbler. So we're sitting there being patient, just kind of watching them feed through this metal, and all this sudden I hear wo w W and I look at Maybe like, what the hell was that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: She's like, I don't know. And a couple of minutes go by and it didn't just it just didn't register with me at first. And a couple minutes go by.
Speaker 3: Woe wee.
Speaker 5: I go, oh, that's someone like replicating Stephen Ranella's or Steve's call. I doubt I think he was in Alaska, but I'm like, it was very startling to me. Well, sure enough, we're like watching these turkeys and all of a sudden, those turkeys are like doing this.
Speaker 4: How close was it, like, did it sound like that guy was on tap of you?
Speaker 2: No, because we eventually saw him. So basically, there was a big giant meadow that kind of led up to this hill, and he was on top of the hill.
Speaker 4: But he was after the same birds.
Speaker 2: Well I don't know if he was because he was shot calling, yeah right, so I don't know if he knew. He had probably heard those birds from a distance and they had come in and was trying to, you know, relocate him. Again, I don't know for sure if these turkeys saw the guy, because not long after we saw the turkey spook, I see the guy like hot footing it across the ridge trying to catch him, which is crazy. He ain't gonna catch a turkey after you spook him, you know. But I'd always agree with Steve, like, oh, you're probably right, You're just making a loud noise, you'd get a shock gobble. Great, these turkeys might have had an adverse reaction to that sound, sure, because they definitely when they heard that we were looking right at them, their heads popped up and they were like, what's up, you know, and they sort of started looking. And then again, I don't know at what point they saw the dude, or if they saw the dude, but it didn't last much longer, and Mabel had her first experience of what it's like hunting public lane when it doesn't go right.
Speaker 4: It's kind of it'd be interesting to know if the noise is what spooked him. I was in Pennsylvania a couple of years ago turkey hunting, and we were hunting kind of a small couple hundred acres and there were some other dudes hunting the next property over, and first thing in the morning, like we happen to be right on the edge of that, you know, like the property line, and I was cutting loose with a coyote call, and this other turkey hunter like pops up next to us. He's like, we don't use those to shut like he was pissed that I was using a coyote Howler, which I've always had like excellent results with, Like before fly down, He's like that just scares the turkeys. Like I don't know, it's worked pretty good for me in the past. But maybe a noise could, you know, an adverse noise could do it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was hoping you were going to say, after you heard that noise that you looked over and saw a blue jay or something actually making the noise.
Speaker 2: I wish. Yeah, No, it was. It was startling and it was definitely out of place. It just took me a second to register exactly what the hell it was.
Speaker 3: Well, did you guys get any birds? Then after that mishap.
Speaker 2: Mabel did not. We end up we moved spots and did a not a big loop, not a power loop, but we did another loop. And I'm proud of her because the couple days before we did do a power loop and eleven year old, I think she's stuck with me for like seven miles oh a pound in the ground and making lots of crow calls and loud yelps with no zero responses. We had some crappy weather. Some wind makes it tough, you know, anytimes sun's out, guns out with turkeys, you know, when the sun's out, they're playing ball, and it's nice they're playing ball. When it ain't. Sure, you can still kill them, but it's just it's not as much fun. It's not as easy, for sure. So we ended up killing uh, I don't know. We killed Aina killed the tom at a different location on the way out there Thursday morning, and I doubled up on Jake's. My wife doubled up on Jake. She and I were together. She shot one. The rest of them were staying around, and she looks at me. I'm like, yeah, shoot another one.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. When a gang of them comes in and you're holding two tags.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. A couple guys on Instagram, you know, had to say something about because I was like, well, tom's are hard to find. So I was happy that when we shot these jakes and they're like, well, yeah, no, wonder there's toms are hard to find when you're pounding the jakes.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: Certainly there is some truth to that, but also hunting public land, it's like and all the other things that love to eat turkeys. Right, it's hard to say that if us killing two jakes would have equalled more jakes next year, or if it's gonna be the or sorry more Tom's next year, or if it's gonna be the same amount. Certainly there would have been two more that maybe would have made it. But we all know that. You know, what are the chances that turkey makes it from egg to two year old gobbler? It's like one in fifty or something crazy like them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I get it, like the not killing Jake. Things like maybe back east where there's just a lot more hunters and a lot more hunting pressure, and some of those turkey populations are yeah, on their way down. But it's just a different situation out here.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. Yeah, Brent Reeves tell you it's sacrilege, you know, do it down there. They just will not shoot jakes unless you're a kid where it's your first time hunt hunt. And the way I'm looking at it, I'm like, man, that's turkey schnitzel walking around on today, and.
Speaker 4: It's still like you're taking whether it's a gobbler or jake, you're taking a turkey out of the population.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, Well you can shoot hens in the fall breeding season. Yeah, well in Montana. Yeah, referring to so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything was bushwhacked, didn't call in nothing in Montana.
Speaker 4: Listen, this is I've been wanting to have this conversation about bushwhacken for.
Speaker 2: A while, Like, what's happened?
Speaker 6: I had a drop for this.
Speaker 4: Oh no, it's like there are there's a certain contingent of turkey hunters that really look down their nose at bushwhacken, like the purity of calling them in. I get it, But if you've ever tried to, like stock a turkey, you might like, if you haven't tried it and then you go try it, you might have a different opinion about it because they're not easy to stop.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you that half the people that look down on it is because yeah, they haven't tried it, or they or they have a little bit and they can't do it right because it's too hard to Like, it's.
Speaker 4: Way harder than stocking a spot in stock rifle, hunt for mule, deer, elk or whatever.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, man, try stocking an eagle in the tree. They got the same eye sight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I always say, man, a turkey doesn't have to hundred yards two hundred yards, doesn't have to look over and go, oh I just saw Corey Kulkin skyline himself. He just sees like some hat brim Yeah, move ninety degrees and he goes, I don't know what that was exactly, but I'm gonna just go the other directions just to be sure. Because ever since I was born, ever since I came out of my mom's kloac, something's been trying to eat. Yeah, listen, it's just the way it is. I still do. I love calling them in, Yes, which is why I'm going to tell you this story. Because in Colorado a bush whacked one two. I couldn't call one in there. They were super hand up. But I get to Wisconsin, I got one day to hunt, well, I had two, but I knew the second day was just going to pour rain all day, so it wasn't gonna be a good day at turkey hunt. So I have kind of chased a couple off the roost, but they get onto the neighbors and I can't call them back in. And long story short, I've criss crossed four hundred acres for like four hours, maybe longer, yeah, because I probably started at five. Now it's noon. I'm heading back camp, kind of worn out, coming down one last ridge still calling, and I get an answer. Sweet, do a little loop. I kind of know where they're at. I'm set up on this I set up on this little bench, and I got the roll of the bench. Definitely not fifteen yards away, maybe closer to ten. It's not far I tried to get. I tried to back off the edge a little bit so I could have a little more room to work. But everything behind me was kind of ex there's no shade. And right where I was there was a pine tree and it was shaded. I was like, man, it'd be better to hide in the shade. So I sit down. I don't even call. I just do a couple scratches in the leaves bah and there's two birds, like right, gobble on top of each other. Got my gun up, I'm ready, and I can hear him walking. That's one of the beautiful things about hunting them in the eastern deciduous forest, man, is when they're on those dry, crunchy oak leaves, you can just hear them coming. I can taste the schnitzel at this point, you know, well, the first one pops up, blue and white head head pops up, looks for half a second full strut. You know, I'm like, oh sweet, and I don't shoot. I hesitate for whatever reason, because I was just enjoying the show. I guess. Well, where he popped up just his right my lookers left, there's like a double trunked oak, and he like immediately is behind it, and.
Speaker 4: Which normally is a good thing because you can like totally get into position right right.
Speaker 2: But there's two birds, so I'm thinking, well, no big deal, I'm just gonna track through that tree. When he pops out the other side, gonna I'm gonna roll him. You know, he's close. How close, like I said, less than fifteen Well, I get like halfway through this double trunk tree and I just look out of the corner of my eye and the second gobbler's head pops up. Well, this dude is not white and blue. It's full red. And when I see him, I'm thinking, okay, I should probably need to swing back and shoot him. Well as I'm just thinking that that bird puts one time and is in it on his wings, and the other bird is on his wings. I never even seen this the first one again, and both of them pitch off into the woods, never to be touched by Yanni's tss Wow. Moral of the story is like, take your first I wasn't in like full kill mode even though I had just been pounding it for seven eight hours. And here's my opportunity. I could have rolled him, and I just hesitated, and there you go. It was bad. Like my stomach. I haven't had like a stomach in the in the bottom of my was This wasn't what I'm trying to say, like the you know when you get that pit feeling in your in your stomach.
Speaker 3: And say, my stomach falls out of itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something like that. Like I haven't had that that bad for a while. Like I was close to camp five minute walk and I almost didn't want to go back to tell the story because it was hurting me so bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some of them that I muffed it. It's good to have those hunts now and then that really hurts.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's good to be humbled. That's why I love the Wild Turkey because that joker humbles me. And and uh yeah, so that's about all of my turkey hunting stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little a little while back, I was out with my older son and uh sprung him out of school after he had a good baseball game the night before, and we got into the spot, slept it, slept in the truck, got up, hiked into our spot, hit the coyote haller a few times, didn't hear anything. Hit it again, didn't hear anything. Hit it again, like real aggressively, and wam three gobbles. I'm like, okay, I kind of know where're at, but we we're just like a little too late with the light and so like I didn't want to push it and get in there tight and have malready on the ground and see us.
Speaker 2: So we set up.
Speaker 4: It was probably I don't know, it was more than two hundred yards away, right, but I just didn't want to move. I was like, we're just gonna be patient and they'll come, like and we I called and they'd answer.
Speaker 2: I called.
Speaker 4: They weren't getting any closer. We ended up sitting in that spot for an hour and it was cold, like like cold enough that I was getting ready to be like, screw it, We're gonna walk just to warm up and get closer. And we hear like obviously in range, but the same thing over a little lip. This hent just starts making a racket like yelping and cutting and yelping and cutting to the point where I was looking for you, to the point where I was like, Hayden, I think there's a dude down there, because it was just it sounded almost unnatural. It was so like aggressive and loud, you know what I mean. I was like, I think there's a guy in here with us, And I was like my heart was just like broken at that point.
Speaker 2: But then I see Hayden gun.
Speaker 4: I see Hayden like shift his gun this way, and I see that hen's.
Speaker 2: Head popped up.
Speaker 4: I was like, don't shoot, that's a hen. She ends up coming into I don't care decoys a lot, but I had him that time, and we had a quartz strut jake and then a hen on the ground. She came up to those decoys puffed up like a gobbler, strutting, making all kinds of noise, like not paying any attention to the Jake decoy, just walking circles around that hen, very irritated, and then kind of like gave up on it and wandered off. And then we see a lone gobbler out at like eighty ninety yards and he takes a long time coming in. He gets to like, oh, thirty five forty and I'll tell Hayden to cut loose on him. Immediately after he shoots, we hear three gobbles also in range, like right from where that hen came from. I'm like, can you see him?
Speaker 6: Can you see him?
Speaker 4: Can you see him? And finally it's like I see him. And they get in decoys and do the little dance around the decoys and when we get a couple of those. Nice you had three gobblers in one morning, well one gobbler, oh to Jays. Yeah, so that was exciting because he's never had that kind of show before and it like reinforced to me and definitely him like if you sit tight, like good things will happen.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. So I'm guilty of walking too much when it's a Turkey season for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Last weekend of the season this weekend here in Montana. So I'm gonna take my younger kid. We're going camping, and we're going to camp in a spot where we might have a sh shot at a at a turkey nice.
Speaker 2: Good. So, so he hasn't been out at all, just timing man sports and whatnots. Yeah, yeah, priorities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was in town and country the other day, and it was coming around the poultry aisle and saw turkey, and I went and crept in real slow, and then I went up and smacked him. He was frozen. So that was my turkey hunting I did this year.
Speaker 6: My congrats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't buy him, but I could have could have could have tagged that one, could have.
Speaker 2: Tagged that one.
Speaker 3: But I've been bear hunting.
Speaker 2: Yep, you've been bear hunting. Yeah. How many days did you put in bear hunting? Man?
Speaker 3: It was pretty quick this year. Only three. Typically I hunt I don't know, ten to fourteen days. It's easy for these long days to just get in a couple hours after work, and I call that a day because it ends up being an eight hour adventure.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: But I went the last week of April, spotted a bunch of bears. Ended up going back to the same spot the first weekend in May and stayed overnight. Spotted a bear in the evening, and then in the morning, was hyper focused on the drainage that I saw him in and found him again about two miles away. Closed the distance to.
Speaker 2: Two miles from where you first inspired him, or two miles from where you were at.
Speaker 3: About two miles from where I first spotted him. Sorry, I glassed him up two miles away, what I'm trying to say. And then probably an hour and a half later, I was within ninety yards of him and I shot him on the run running away. Biggest bear I've ever harvested. He spooked him, I did me, Yeah, yeah, I was trying to play the wind as the thermals were switching around. They moved so much all the time, but in the spring, the bruins especially are just cruise in Roman looking for that fresh patch of grass or new flowers or something dead. And I watched this guy cruise probably a solid half a mile, and he luckily stopped in the drainage that I last watched him go into.
Speaker 4: But you couldn't see him until you were on top of it.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, he went into this stick not super thick, but thick enough to where I couldn't see him until I was on him and got up into this into the drainage that he was in, and figured he had left because I didn't see him. I was about to set up in predator call and I heard a stick pop right below me and then just saw a flash of black probably that was probably forty yards away, and then he would I could tell he was running away and there was this little gap between some a tree and a cliff, and I shot him right through that little gap, probably about ninety yards.
Speaker 2: Could was he full on hauling ass or fast.
Speaker 3: As he could go? He's a he had a big butt on him, so he couldn't go very fast.
Speaker 2: I mean embarrassed that. You know they do thirty forty miles an hour.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this guy, like I could tell by the way he was running, was huge. And I knew he was big when I saw him from miles away, like I wanted to kill him. I could tell it was a bore from that far away.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I saw him the night before.
Speaker 2: And did he have to leave it?
Speaker 3: No, it was so close that I just put it right behind the shoulder and that's where it went.
Speaker 4: Did you bring in a picture of him?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't, got it up on my Instagram.
Speaker 2: I saw them Seaman Calkins great big nogging on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that looked like it looked like a bandy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm tickled his skull. I mean it hasn't had time to you know, do the the green scored the skull at twenty inches.
Speaker 4: So which is being seen minimum mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So it might shrink under that again, we'll see. But yeah, got the hide in the freezer, fat in chunks, ready to render. Meets in the freezer, feeling good.
Speaker 2: Nice. What are you gonna do with the hide?
Speaker 3: I'd like to get a rug made, but we'll see. I'm gonna have to save up a couple of paychecks for that one.
Speaker 2: Dude. It's not cheap, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say I'm going on a guaranteed hunt. But the outfitter that I'm going with next week in Manitoba, he's texting me, I think two days in a row and one days, like we killed four last night And the next day he's like, we killed five last night. I'm like, oh, on is that like you forgot about one and that was from two nights ago, or you guys killed nine bears in two days. It's like, oh yeah, we got nine and two days. And then he just like lists all of the numbers baited. You know in Manitoba. Sounds like there's a lot of bears there, so not guaranteed but high probability. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to the rug bill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a big one I've got.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just gonna tan it and just hang it.
Speaker 3: It depends on how big.
Speaker 4: I was just talking about this man, like that's what I did with my first bear, which was a giant, And for two years I just looked at that tan thing hanging there, just like wishing I had gotten a rug maid and then I had a rug made out of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they have a big old noggin, I mean, I feel like it's worth foaming that out just so you can relive that.
Speaker 2: Did it cost you any less or more when you got a taxi? It'll cost you a few.
Speaker 4: Hundred less if you get it tanned first, because otherwise they got to send it off to get tanned before they make the rug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I don't. I wanted to sit right on the floor in front of my wood right would burn and stove, and I don't really have that set up yet for it, so I don't. I don't need the rug right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see what kind of bear you get. See how big his head is first. That's exciting, though, that's.
Speaker 4: Some newspaper up in that head. After you get oh yeah, there you.
Speaker 2: Go, all right? Do we need to move on, Phil, I think it's time. All right. Well those were good hunting stories, fellas, Thank you, all right? Next, Oh, catch Crayfish Counting the Stars is now available in paperback.
Speaker 4: Right here here it is.
Speaker 2: Why does it take take them like two years to decide to put something out in paperback? So the time.
Speaker 4: Varies, but it's the decision that the publisher makes based on, you know, when they think the timing is right for a paperback.
Speaker 2: But obviously it's based on probably on sales of the sure art cover too, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, So it's done well enough enough to release it in paperback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, So it's out now. Lots of cool activities in there for for your kids, outdoor activities, Corey, what's your what's your favorite one in there?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: There's a lot of good stuff in here, but how many of you actually done with your kid?
Speaker 2: Man Marshall, To.
Speaker 3: Be honest, I haven't looked through the whole book. I this is one of those where you could just like flip to a page, yeah, and then you know, like find the the most recent chapter that they're talking about and just go from there. Like a couple of winters ago. We flipped to the make your own aquarium, and we did that, caught a little uh really perch from a local pond and maybe threw them in there find an antler. That's pretty fun to do this the time of year. But I flipped to go rock hounting, and we're gonna go look for some quartz and agates this weekend.
Speaker 2: Oh nice.
Speaker 3: It kind of just spun off reading this book. Great ideas in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's easy to do right there. Go for a walk and pick some rocks. Oh, easy peasy. You'll go for just those two rocks. But your kid will come back with a box of rocks. Oh, it could just be gravel. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I've had to rewild some rocks recently.
Speaker 2: Oh, I do all the time. Yeah, because my wife's my wife is bad about it. The kids are kind of like e but my wife like will not let a piece of pet trified would stay on the banks of the yellows. It's coming home for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm be honest. What's your what's your favorite one?
Speaker 2: I'll be honest. I haven't done many, uh, but I did do one before the book was out, and then wrote the the little how to to Do It, which was to build a PVC bow, which is an idea I think I got from Jimmy Miller. But uh, yeah, man, it's super easy. And uh, you still need to make some arrow Is there how to make some arrows? Along with the.
Speaker 4: No, we didn't go that far. That's that's getting serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you gotta have we I just used old hunting arrows of mine. But you just take a chunk of PVC and some string and cut some notches in the PVC and use some tape for a little handle in a in a arrow rest and uh, you got yourself a bow that Uh my kids they ran around in Princess.
Speaker 4: I remember when they were little running around. Yeah, yeah, just flinging those bars all around. See an arrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gotta gotta wear a helmet in the backyard. What about what's you? What's your?
Speaker 4: There's a couple in there that I'm partial to. The track and animal and the read animal sign one. I think that teaches kids a lot, like looking at poop, looking at whatever hair, feathers, whatever they can find, you know, maybe it's a snake skin on the ground. Like I just think kids are like naturally, Like the biophilia thing is like just built into them. So like, those are a couple of activities that play into that that I like a lot, and it's going to teach them to be a better hunter, you know. But there's I don't know, seventy five more activities in there, like everything from gardening to fishing to like history, there's all kinds.
Speaker 2: Of All the kids that I know that have that book love it. Yep, yeah, absolute, I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, such a great one to just throw in the camper in the back of the truck if you're even just going to a local parks. So many activities in there, Yeah, you wouldn't just think about Yep.
Speaker 2: All right. This kind of ties it together with activities for kids, getting kids into hunting, and also Mabel's turkey because she didn't get a turkey when we were out on our big trip, but she did kill a Yanni's ranch bird the other night. Oh that's been causing some strife and actually Jennifer's not home, my wife. But when we told her, she's like, I told you guys not to kill that bird. And we're like, did you We thought you just said like you didn't want us to kill that bird. You didn't say you can't kill that bird. We tried to kill him two other days, one time in the evening, and he stayed over the roll and then he just kept gobbling. And finally I'm like, did he roost? And I went and peeked over the hill, and sure enough he's in the tree. So the next morning, my oldest and I we get up at five am and I got her sitting on the deck like in the dark, waiting for it to get light. Well I didn't cause I dropped back to call a little bit, so I didn't see. But the gobbler was in plain view of a them, and so of course, like it was doomed from the beginning because even uh, I don't know. Jennifer's like, you guys are killing a half domesticated bird. I'm like, yeah, kind of like this person doesn't live in suburbia, like everybody around us lives on ten to forty acres or something. There's coyotes around, there's foxes around.
Speaker 4: Wolves.
Speaker 2: Sure you know these are not quite I mean sure other people feeding them. Yes. Well, anyways, the other evening we could hear him goblin across the way. I told Mabel, I said, just go out there, and every thirty minutes. Just give a couple of strokes on the box call he'd answer. And then after dinner, Mabel's like, that's probably getting too late.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, you're probably too late, but just keep listening and looking. And we're cleaning up and a looks out the window. He's right there, you know. Oh like oh boy. So anyways, we go out there. It doesn't take much, make a few calls, peek around the corner of the garage, kill him. And uh. Maybe she's very aware that it's like a different hunt than what we were just experiencing on our Turkey camp trip. But it's not what I want to talk about. What I want to talk about is that she's very skittish around gutting and the processing. My oldest one. I'll put her up against anybody in this office. She might not be as fast as you, but if you could give her a whole deer and she could process it. At this point, at the age of thirteen, she's good at it. She enjoys it. Maybe on the other hand, like sticking her hands up in that turkey's cavity and pulling those guts out, fighting it, fighting it. So my question is of core. You haven't gotten there. You're gonna have to deal with this at some point. But like, for kids that like to kill stuff, do you force them if they're not into dealing with guts and processing, do you force them to do it anyways, because that's part of the deal.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't. It hasn't been a problem with my boys. If anything, they're like curious about it. They're like interested in it. You know, with fish, they want to see what's in the stomach, they want to see what's in the crop. I mean, forcing a kid to do something is maybe not ideal, but you should at least I think you got to get him involved in some of the steps, right. But yeah, I mean i'd lean towards like you killed it, you're cleaning it.
Speaker 2: Well, because it used to be just like you kill it, you eat it, right. Yeah, that's like the original version of this. And then I think sort of as because I know Steve would just bring me home to his mom, and his mom would kind of prepare it and then they would eat it, right. I think that's kind of morphed. As we've become parents to we're like we're like, oh no, there's this other thing too, like you need to be involved in the whole process, right, because we want them to be. But what I'm scared of is if I force it too much, then she she's gonna be like, screw it, I don't even kill a turkey. I'll go play volleyball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, maybe you try doing it in steps, man, Like will she cut the breast off the carcass or.
Speaker 2: She's yeah, man, she's not huge into any of that stuff. Once it's in the bag and I ask her to run the seiler, yeah she'll do that. I mean, I guess if I was in that situation, I'd rather like and worried about that you're gonna turn her off a hunting all together.
Speaker 4: I'd rather have her go hunting with me and not do it and force her to do it and then she doesn't want to go hunting, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My kid was with me on a turkey hunt last year, and it was pretty funny because I'm like, all right, now I got to gut this thing, and he's like, oh gross, and started walking towards the truck and then he like stopped and wanted to watch and got very curious about halfway through and the next thing, you know, he's like looking up into the turkey and wanting to get his hands dirty and so that I never.
Speaker 4: Went through that gross thing.
Speaker 3: Man, It's just like a lot of curiosity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I got one in one kind of hung out with the turkey's guts for thirty minutes, and I was sort of heading towards the sauna and she was running around the side of the house with like different pieces. What's this? Then she'd come back, what's this? Come back? She took like fifty pictures. Yeah, she doesn't mind getting getting in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you mentioned fish. That's a great starting point. I feel like something about fish and the lack of eyebrows that maybe or eyelashes.
Speaker 4: May smell really bad.
Speaker 3: Boy do they ever?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna do a We're gonna request that you guys, the listeners. We're gonna do a listener hot tip off showdown, So we want you guys to send in a hot tip. We're gonna play it next week. If I was here, i'd host it on this show on my birthday. But I'm gonna be in Manitoba hopefully looking over a bunch of bears eating donuts and maple syrup. Ah, but Brody wants hot tips for taking kids hunting, fishing, camping, that sort of stuff because we're celebrating the paperback release of Catch Crayfish count Stars. Yeah, what do you want to add to that.
Speaker 4: Brody, Well, we'll take all everyone's gonna send us all those parents out there. It doesn't have to be from parents, but I imagine the bulk of it will be from parents.
Speaker 2: But I think if your kid has a hot tips too, coming straight from the source and them to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But anyway, we'll we'll look through everything we got. We're gonna take the three what we think are three of the best ones. Then in next week's show, the hosts are gonna vote.
Speaker 2: On the winner.
Speaker 4: Now, the three finalists that are gonna compete will all get a copy of the book, the paperback copy, and then the winner will get this bad boy knife here. You want to pull it out and show.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah to the super sharp MKC.
Speaker 4: Maybe like, if you give that knife to your kid, be awful careful with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, guaranteed you're gonna need some band aids. So if you're the lucky winner, you're gonna give that let your kid, mess with it, get yourself some band aids ahead of time.
Speaker 3: This is the Montana Knife Company flat Tail yep, little collab we did with m great do it all hunt night.
Speaker 4: So like sixty to ninety is a long hot tip video. Keep it says SYNCD folks like sixty seconds is ideal and then just send that. Send your videos to radio at the meeteater dot com. That's that's the right address.
Speaker 2: Scord, Yes, sir, and.
Speaker 4: We'll vote on him next week.
Speaker 3: Send it.
Speaker 2: That'll be fun radio at themeeteater dot com. All right, now on to our first guest, Bart George joining us today. He's the wildlife program director for the Cowspell Tribe. Bart, thanks for joining us. If meat Eater has a mountain lion expert, Bart is it. We filmed Idaho Mountain Lion in season seven of meat Eater with Bart. Bart's been on several metater podcast episodes. There's a great one where he tells the story of almost losing one of his hounds and having himself having a very close encounter with the mountain lion. You should go. I can't. I couldn't find the episode number, sorry, but search around meter podcast you can find it. Maybe Choreo'll find it now. And he was also on a On the Hunt episode with Yours Truly where I followed along as Bar performed the research that we're going to talk about today. Bar.
Speaker 1: How are you, I'm well, yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're welcome. All right. Explain like where the study came from, how was built, how is how is it executed? But save the results here for a minute.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, of course. So, like you mentioned, I worked for the Callispell Tribe. I'm also a hound handler in northeast Washington. I keep dogs and have for don't know fifteen or so years here the state of Washington. You know, hound hunting is illegal here, so there's not a lot of people with dogs. So when they're you know, when cougars get in trouble, typically it's with pets or small livestock in our area. The state has a pool of folks that they'll call to come out and deal with that situation. Typically it's treat that cat and if it's killed something, the state kills it. So Bruce, who's also on that episode, both the episodes of My kind of My Hunting Partner mentor whatever, he and I have been doing this for quite a while, you know, fifteen years, we're getting these calls from the state every you know, once a month or something like that, until about twenty eighteen and nineteen.
Speaker 1: It really picked up. And I don't know what the change was.
Speaker 7: We didn't we have no way of really knowing that, but we started seeing a real increase in depredations. And you know, when there's a depredation, we go out, catch that cat, kill it, and it becomes property of the state and typically it's discarded. So you know, as a as a hunter, as a tribal representative, whatever, its kind of goes against what we all stand for. To see, it's such a cool charismatic you know, species and carcass just get pitched in the dumpster. So Bruce and I kind of started brainstorm of kind come up with a way to to have some sort of proactive response for the state. So when you know, a real common narrative when we were at these depredations, you know, we'd be talking to the farmer or the operator and say, yeah, you know, this cat was hanging around a week ago on my neighbor's place and then I got a you know, trail camera picture of it or I got to ring doorbell picture of it or whatever a couple of days ago, and it hadn't caused any trouble. But now here it you know, killed lamas or pets or whatever. So we kept here, you know, we heard that a lot, and we got to thinking, like, what if we'd been out here a week ago when it first showed up and and chased that cat off, would it have still hung around and killed something.
Speaker 1: Or would it have you know, left the area or we don't. We didn't know. So he's kind of started brainstorm and working.
Speaker 7: With the WFW enforcement crew that we're you know, we're working with all the time, and we came up with this idea to our hat in the cat, but we didn't really know what that looks like yet, and we didn't have the technology to do it. And I'll get into that a little bit in the In the episode, you kind of get us to see what we're doing with the callers and different things. So I was buying some callers from buddy up there at w Pounce of play. He's really he's a tech guy, you know, he's like an engineering background. He's into that kind of stuff more than I am, for sure, And he came up with this idea to develop the sleep mode on our garment callers. So then I could put a collar on a cat. That picture you got up as actually the largest cougar ever collared that we know of. He's one hundred and ninety seven pounds.
Speaker 1: Man cat we caught right here nodding. He's a whopper man. He's big. That was for the state of Washington. We called that cat for.
Speaker 7: Them on their Predator Prey project.
Speaker 2: That's what that's what an almost two hundred pounder looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you could see the folds in his arm. How much fat he's got just up around his neck.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, if he'd have taken a couple more bites, he'd have tipped the two hundred pound mark. Anyways, So working with Buddy and he came up with this idea for a sleep mode on a garment caller. So the survey caller, you know, was the typical wildlife caller. It's big, kind of clunky. Things got a long battery life though, four years of battery life if it's programmed properly. But but the garment callers, you know, you only get a couple of days out of those.
Speaker 1: With the dogs.
Speaker 7: So we needed a way to get real time data from a cat, but have it long last long enough that we could you know, revisit this thing, you know, for five or six weeks. So the sleep mode that that Garment developed with Buddy self kind of made that possible. So we were able then to couple like a regular dog tracking collar onto our regular survey caller and uh.
Speaker 1: And then revisit that.
Speaker 7: Cat, you know, periodically and see how it's responding to our hazing.
Speaker 1: So that's that was kind of the next to the thing.
Speaker 7: Then we needed to come up with a stimuli, and we kicked that idea around and you know, in a perfect world, we'd have had a whole bunch of time and a bunch of folks helping and a big budget and everything, and we would have tested a whole bunch of different stimuli. But we settled on human voice just because for you know, public safety hiking, for people yelling at a cat to you know, move it along, or whatever else. We just thought human voice made the most sense. But I would have liked to test it, you know, dogs barking or an engine or car horn honking or whatever as the stimuli. So the stimuli that we settled on was Meat Eater podcasts. It works nicely and you guys have big, loud voices and everything else, and yet there's not a lot of dead time in it. Other podcasts with like long gaps and people like ruminating silently, that doesn't we wanted. We wanted constant talking.
Speaker 2: So you're saying, this is a crew of talkers we have here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Man, when Steve gets going, he doesn't stop, he doesn't come up rare. It's like, keeps it going, constant talk. And that's what we wanted. We didn't want to have gaps or music or anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So and you so you were, Yeah, you were measuring basically what you were walking towards collared lines. You knew the location, and then you were measuring, and you had a loud speaker playing the Mediator podcast. It was eighty decibels, right.
Speaker 1: Yep, eighty decibels.
Speaker 7: And that's a you know, that's a kind of an outside voice, right, you know, you're at a cocktail party. Eighty decibels probably wouldn't be obnoxious when you're out in the woods, like and it's quiet, it's loud enough that it's carrying a couple hundred yards. Yeah, so we expected those cats be hearing us approach with this human voice stimuli, and we're able, Like I said, we know exactly where they're at. We're looking at our handheld, we know where we're at, where the cat's at. We approach with this human voice, and we're watching. As soon as that cat gets up to his feet and kind of flees, we stop, gather up our data and we see how it responds to us, like how does it you know, how scared of us is is it?
Speaker 1: So we're able to major then how far that cat moved.
Speaker 7: Away, and when it stops, we'd hop on, you know, we'd radio back. They turned the dogs loose, and the dogs would come to us, find the cat track and they'd run that cat tree it the first time we'd treat it. We'd mark it with paintballs, permanent paint, and that was kind of the only hands on, you know, that was the only real whatever hazing that we did, other than the dogs parking. We wanted to test if it could associate then, like this human voice approaching it and then this negative interaction. So we did that with cats, and we would do that four times with each cat, and that was kind of our data set, so each cat had its own unique sort of data set with four points on it. We also did a control portion, so then we would take cats and approach them. It's exactly the same way with the speaker playing, and when they mobilized, they'd leave, and then we turn around and just walk OUTZ no hazing. We just wanted to see how that cat would respond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how many how many total cats did you end up collaring and doing this too? Well?
Speaker 1: We collared more. We ended up trying to.
Speaker 7: You know, we had some trouble at first getting technology figured out. I think totally total cats collared and handled was around fifty. Uh. We got complete data on forty one cats. Okay, that's a pretty good, pretty good sample size. It's a little bit heavy on males, but not bad. So we were able to get you know, they were all adults. We didn't call our sub adult animals and we tried not to. We tried not to capture females that had accompanying young just because it muddies the data.
Speaker 1: When we show up.
Speaker 7: And there's three cats there, we don't know which one runs first. Is it is you know, one of those sub adults get spooked and runoff and the mom follows her like.
Speaker 1: We just didn't know.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, so independent.
Speaker 1: Aged independent cats or what we were after?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 2: Right, So these cats all heard Steven Reel's voice a whole bunch. How did they How did they react to that?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Positively, I guess, or negatively, I don't tell you. Look at it.
Speaker 7: They were they learned to avoid us. It really indicated that the pursuit with the dogs can alter their response to this sort of what should have been a BE nine stimulus with the human voice. So it's called a it's called a flight initiation distance project.
Speaker 1: And they do it with birds a lot because birds are easy.
Speaker 7: Right, If a bird sitting on a telephone pool our point, you can walk out and measure how close it lets you get.
Speaker 1: And all that stuff. Sure, cougars are a lot harder than that. They're secretive.
Speaker 7: So this is kind of the first flight initiation distance project with cats and our data, you know, for Project Cats.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at it right now. The our mean.
Speaker 7: Flight initiation distance increased from seventy five at our first interaction seventy five meters to one hundred and twenty eight meters by the fourth interaction, so almost double, which is pretty good when you start thinking about this. Limitations so that they can only hear you from so far away, So sure, one hundred and twenty eight meters is pretty good distance. And then the distance moved. It was really interesting. It almost doubled, went from two hundred and seventy eight meters to five hundred and eighty two meters.
Speaker 1: Wow, they really wanted to get away from us.
Speaker 7: By the end of this thing, they recognized that, you know, this person approaching me is bad news. It means something bad. It's about to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you when you hear Stephen Ranella coming through the woods, there's going to be a pack of hounds not long after.
Speaker 7: Right, if you're of wildlife and you hear Renella walking towards you, bitter skidattle. The control portion was interesting, and that was a little bit later in the game. We really struggled with how to develop this control idea, so it didn't start until about midway through the project. We wanted to first see if we were getting good data on our project cats, and the control cats showed an interesting thing. Our flight and issue distance decreased. You know, it started at sixty eight. We only had a value about I think twelve for our control cats, but started sixty eight, which is very close to what we saw with our project cats at seventy five, and it actually decreased down to thirty five meters. So by the end of that project, those cats recognized pretty quickly that this human voice doesn't isn't that scary, It doesn't mean very much to them so interesting?
Speaker 2: So was and was it didn't show clearly that basically with every touch point it was getting closer by just a little bit, or or was it kind of all over the place? Would you jump sometimes from sixty eight to fourteen or was it like always sixty eight, then fifty, then forty and then twenty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there were certainly some cats that weren't that linear, but there were some that really tracked like you're describing, really closely to that that was a.
Speaker 1: Little heavy on toms.
Speaker 7: We ended up with a lot of thmbs eight in the project, so we don't know if the females would have responded accordingly, but yeah, by there's some of those cats.
Speaker 1: You know, thirty five meters is just the meme, But three or four of those cats by the last approach we were walking up and looking at you know, we'd stop at ten meters. That was kind of what we call, you know, close enough.
Speaker 7: We'd stop at ten meters and we'd be laying there in the brush and looking at each other. So those cats weren't afraid of us at all. That human voice they had recognized is not something to be concerned with, which is really interesting.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: That's like when you think about these cats in parks and along hiking trails and stuff like that, you know, there's maybe one hundred people a day walking by, talking to each other and stuff, and they've just learned like just be still and let them pass.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, it's a wonder we don't have more attacks. And you know, who knows who can explain that. But all right, so you can see there's like two I don't know, there's a lot of ways to look at this, but it's like one, it's it's good information for the cats, right and for saving cats because as opposed to you guys just coming out killing these cats and then they go into the dumpster. Like, if you can show that these cats by a little bit of hazing then learn to stay away from humans, that saves cat lives, right, So.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the idea, right, we want those things out on the landscape for leap, for hunters or for whatever else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just I don't know, be a part of the landscape that is wildlife out there. So like, how has the research been received or are people reading it looking at it? And then is it changing any minds or is it affecting management at all? Management thoughts decisions in Washington.
Speaker 7: Uh, you know, I don't know if it's made any major you know, led to any changes just yet. I think it's being well received for the most part. There's of course, people trying to.
Speaker 1: Make it into something that it's not on you know, it's not a silver bullet.
Speaker 7: It's not it's not going to correct all cougar public safety issues or defordations or whatever.
Speaker 1: But I think it's another.
Speaker 7: Tool for managers to consider when you know, you have a landscape with lots of people on it and lots of cougars around and you want to kind of lead to that sort of safe coexistence. It just gives managers another tool, and I think it's being received by the managers fairly well.
Speaker 1: In that way.
Speaker 7: You know, there's a there's a lot of movement right now with cougar management across the West, there's a you know, people aren't going anywhere. Cougar populations seem to be stable or increasing in a lot of places. Say I'm hopeful, I'm hopeful it gets picked up, and people kind of consider that before you know, killing a cat potentially needlessly, and also when they're thinking about you know, policy and opportunities for hound handlers to get out and sort of recreationally pursue these catches, and maybe an opportunity to get ahead of some of these things altogether just through recreational hound pursuits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's such a weird idea. Like before I got into hound hunting, I would have never thought that there would be people out there that'd be like, oh yeah, I just want to go and chase these cats. I don't even need to kill them, Like just like going out and you know, participating in trying to catch one, catching them, taking pictures, and then leaving them. That will be plenty to keep me excited. Now that I've done it, Like I totally get it. Like you don't have to have a kill season to have hound people be super into it.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, it's just it's a cool thing and a lot of you know, hound handlers have been really strong advocates for wildlife protections across the West. Just recently in Wyoming is the hound groups that they kind of squashed a bill that would have, you know, an idea that would have really probably damaged while cougar populations in that state, and that you know, hound handlers have came came to the plate several times to sort of protect cats because they want something to do on the weekends, they want to be pursuing cougars, taking their picture, working their dogs. I mean that's kind of the important thing. Now that you have mingus, you sort of recognize how much you know that having a dog in the hunt saying really means.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's another thing too. If you're out there and your dog's not there because he's out on injured reserve or whatever, you might as well just stay home because it ain't no fun once.
Speaker 7: You've got your own dogs in the races.
Speaker 2: On Well, Bart, thanks for doing the work and thanks for coming and telling us about it. If anybody wants to learn more about this project or actually look at your the results of the research, where can they go to find that.
Speaker 7: I emailed you guys over a copy of the final publication. You can share that if you'd like.
Speaker 1: You know, that episode that.
Speaker 7: The episode that we did really describes the process of the hazing pretty well.
Speaker 1: They can check that out also.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, thank you. Have a good day, Bart. We'll be in touch soon.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm watching the clock. Finally after an hour, I see that we've burned up sixty minutes and you've got to the first listener feedback. Yeah, we haven't even gotten a listener feedback, So we're gonna do that. I'm gonna also while Phil is doing that, I'm gonna also ask you guys to sort of just, you know, in the chat kind of vote you guys would rather hear gear talk or show and tell.
Speaker 6: Because here's the thing I was gonna I was gonna call an audible. I'm gonna suggest something because this is if the audience hasn't noticed, this is a little this shows a little different this week. We had to make a last minute change, so we're kind of just mixing things up in the field of the show is a little it's it's it's a little unfamiliar. So I'm thinking we just do one listener feedback, very very familiar to me. Sure, I think we just do one listener feedback at the very end. It'll be the last thing we do. I think we can cruise through gear Talk and Show and Tell, just back to back.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 3: I think Phil wants to share his sound drops and I really want Okay, that's true.
Speaker 2: I forgot that he had roll a special news.
Speaker 6: I just I just hate cutting things it because we had to cut something last week and it made me feel bad.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, Josh Miller, if you're watching or listening, you know, get your program together so you can join us on a future episode, because it's going to be entertaining for everybody when we uh, when we get to see how you run this program. Because I got a lot of questions for Josh in this program, all right, So I like that. So we're gonna save listener feedback for the end. That's what you want to do, Phil, Yeah, I'll get some more questions in. Okay, bring some more questions. Now we're on to gear Talk.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about gear fa beat, Let's talk about sop and beats. Let's talk about boots in bind candle patterns.
Speaker 1: With young beats. Let's talk about let's talk about gear. Let's talk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there we go. I told you, I told the crew I was gonna do a different song. I was gonna I was gonna do jive talking the begi's, But there were just there were too many harmonies and I was feeling lazy this morning. So we're not. I stuck with that one.
Speaker 3: If that was lazy, that's the nails at Phil.
Speaker 2: We should just come up with a new segment every week so that Phil has to.
Speaker 4: Do a news to come in here at six in the morning before everyone's here and like hide in here and do yeah.
Speaker 2: But you can hear it in his voice when he's doing it. That's what he loves about his job. That's what he loves about it. All right. Gear Talk wants to go first.
Speaker 4: Well, you're just going.
Speaker 2: To order that it's written, all right, all right. I recently I've had this cooler for a while, but I got to use it again at Turkey Camp. We had the right kind of weather. Last year Turkey Camp was so cold. I didn't even bring these suckers out. Now. Listen, this is mega expensive gear. I didn't pay for mine but it's cool. Okay, yeah, no, puny. You can make it cold. You can make ice if you want. Yes, it is a solar powered cooler made by Dometic. Okay, roughly, you're gonna be in to it. The core is gonna go depending on the size, plus or minus a couple of hundred bucks one thousand. Then you also need a solar panel, and you also need a battery that stores there. You go, there's a picture of my setup. So the juice goes, is captured by the solar panel, it goes into the battery, is stored there, and then into the cooler. You can't go direct solar panel to the cooler.
Speaker 4: How many quartz is that cooler?
Speaker 2: That one is? They call it the fifty five. The nice thing about these coolers is that and I would call them it's more of a refrigerator that is in the shape of a cooler than it being an actual cooler. It's definitely not as insulated as a yety. Like if you just used it as a cooler and didn't have power to it, it's not gonna work as well as a YETI would, but if you've got it set up like this and that battery, I haven't tried it just alone, but you could probably not have sun or ditch a solar panel. You could. I'm guessing you could run that cooler at thirty eight degrees for three to four days off that battery, which you know gets you through a lot of camping.
Speaker 3: Trips Memorial Weekend.
Speaker 2: But man, the real benefit And I don't know, is it worth sixteen hundred bucks for the whole kit in kaboodle, I don't know. You're gonna have to buy a lot. You're gonna have to not buy a lot of bags of ice for it to pay for itself.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, buck fifty a bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But like not having the wetness in the bottom of the cooler, not having to deal with the ice, just constantly knowing that like, oh no, this thing at all times is thirty three degrees or whatever you set it up to. It's pretty sweet. Like it just takes out that element of dealing with the ice, wondering if your stuff's getting too warm, and especially like we we had some birds that needed cooling down right. I used to always bring a separate cooler with separate ice, keep it locked down so that when I get to meet I can jam it in there, it'll get cold and I can get it home. Well, this time, we basically just processed the birds, put them into ziplocks and gave them their own little, you know, quadrant of that refrigerator, and they're just in there doing their thing. No, don't have to worry about any kind of meat.
Speaker 4: Spoilers all the comforts of home.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, Listen, when your buddy showed up in camp, which we had to do, they were giving me some shit. They're like, dude, like, did you have to like have a note another trailer with you to carry all this with?
Speaker 3: You say, it looks like it takes up the whole back end of your taco.
Speaker 2: It doesn't, actually, I mean, if you think about it, I brought two and I was actually just swapping. I would just unplug one and plug the other one in and then they would they would work that way. But that solar panel, it's skinny, so you just kind of slide it in anywhere you want. The battery is I don't know the size of maybe three NuGen bottles, so it definitely doesn't take up any more room. But the big benefit is that yeah, no ice, no ice, mess, it's got a setting in there. I haven't done it yet. I haven't been drinking as I'm getting ready for the big race, so I didn't have to bring any ice for cocktails. But it's got a deal where you can go to the lowest setting and then you basically have like a little mini compartment that sits right on the compressor and you can actually make ice in the field.
Speaker 3: That's a game changer.
Speaker 2: If you like to have your whiskey on the rocks. Yeah, Brodi, what do you got?
Speaker 4: I got these bad little mama jamas here.
Speaker 1: This is the sig.
Speaker 4: So these are the image stabilizing buying us that sig hour makes. And I'm generally pretty slow to adopt like new technology, but if you've never looked through these things, like, it's impossible to explain to someone who hasn't looked through one of these and just used the regular binos the difference that it makes, like freehanding binos especially, I'm like Western spot in stock hunts. It just sucks like you have to have a tripod. You still do, but with these, like you can kick back and throw them up on your knees and actually do a little work with them without a tripod, and it gives your neck and your shoulders a break. You're not hunched over that that tripod all day long, and you can certainly set them up for a tripod. The reason I like these is not for tripod glass and or big spot in stock hunts. I like them because they're small. They're ten by thirties, so they're light. They're light so like turkey season.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 4: If I was a tree stand whitetail hunter, they'd be ideal for that. And we've been talking about kids a lot today, like they're awesome for kids because especially younger kids just have trouble holding binos steady enough to look at and you're like, the deer's over there, and they're just like all over the place with those things, they can actually see stuff. Yeah, so my boys will definitely be carrying carrying those this fall deer hunting and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They're small enough that I was carrying them in the pocket. Yeah of my first light turkey vest.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, Like a ten by thirty is not not a wide field of view, right, Like it's for long range class and it's not going to be ideal. But they make what are they twelve by fifties?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't well, yeah, those are in the newer version. Yeah that they make They have a bigger objective with the bigger field of view. But I actually prefer these older versions or the first not older, but the first iteration, Yeah, just because it is a smaller package and it just they're yeah, super tidy. Love it and I would probably I'll carry I may even carry these.
Speaker 4: And my regular glass and binos this fall like Deer and Elk.
Speaker 2: Count Yeah, like you said, for handholding when you're just gonna like quickly need to scan the hillside or you see something moving and you need to get on it quick. Those things are amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess we're on the battery train or everything that needs charging or takes batteries. But yeah, I am in love with this new well it's not new, but new to me. The uncharted supply companies the Zeus Air, which is air inflator.
Speaker 2: Uh A couple of time, one of those Corey beats me. I thought your whole job was to keep me decked out with all the bitch and stuff.
Speaker 3: No, I'm also a podcast producer. But this thing will pump up any tires, bike tires to truck tires. That also will jumpstart vehicle up to a six liter diesel engine, which I haven't had to use that yet. That's a big battery is probably seven years old, so one of these day it is not going to start for me. I do have a little like pin leak in my truck tire passenger side tire, so I've had to use this every couple of days. Definitely gonna take it with me camp and it's just a good thing to have in the truck all the time. Also charge USB both types of USB cords has a little handy danny flashlight on it.
Speaker 2: It'll blind you if you're not How much does that thing cost?
Speaker 3: Two hundred and fifty bucks?
Speaker 4: That's reasonable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's.
Speaker 3: Some other ones out there, like Dwalt makes one, but it's like three times the size. It's pretty amazing how much power is packed into this little kit right here.
Speaker 4: What kind of jacks does it got?
Speaker 3: Like USB and like USB and USB C Yeah, so.
Speaker 2: It comes with it's a little cables though to if you had to have you had to hit your battery.
Speaker 3: Yep, comes with the jumper cables and then they hose to inflate your tire and it works. It's kind of slow, but it works well. Like I've used it a few times and I don't know, you can probably get all four tires filled up on one like from to fill.
Speaker 2: Like in my before the battery ran out.
Speaker 3: It's pretty impressive. I've been carrying this thing everywhere, so always good to have in the truck.
Speaker 2: Okay, Corey wins geared talk.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't realize it was a competition, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Onto our next segment, show and tell.
Speaker 4: Many the show.
Speaker 2: Good choice, Phil.
Speaker 4: Many a shot.
Speaker 6: This is my shriekiest one, A little out of my ring.
Speaker 2: Spencer brought a rock? What else did you we.
Speaker 3: Spent no rocks today?
Speaker 1: Baby?
Speaker 2: Of course, of course he brought a rock.
Speaker 6: I love this. I love this bit of Yanni just complaining about Spencer all the time. It's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't know it. Spencer's the whole reason we just don't get to come on here and tell hunting stories, especially when all the viewers are like, tell us more haunt stories.
Speaker 4: This is like this show is kind of spends.
Speaker 3: This show is kind of his baby.
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: You're the producer does a great job, but it's it all started and you know, kind of morphs off the Spencer's ideas. So hats off to Space.
Speaker 6: Come on the show More Off and Yanni, you can crash it and tell more hunting stories.
Speaker 2: Hey love to have. Corey knows exactly when I'm available at the hostep. All right for show and tell today, I brought in my Axis buck euromount. And this is from a buck that I killed with the Element boys in let's see February of twenty four, so a little over the over a year ago. I like the way it turned out. This is my first animal that I've ever sort of kept the velvet on. The outfitter and the Element boys were really impressed. They say this this might have been the biggest one they were going to kill the whole season. They think that it's like top ten or twenty archery sci axis. Oh yes, which.
Speaker 4: Well, I've just never been close enough to a set of those antlers to get a feel for Like looking at it on video, you can't tell how big or small they are. And this isn't a this isn't an insult to you in any way, but those antlers are smaller than I thought they would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, access deer is not a giant animal, right, like it's an animal that you can buy yourself. Drag along you know.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I'll say in the video with the Element boys, when you killed this thing, he looks huge on the hoof, no offense to the beautiful trophy.
Speaker 2: He's next to some doze. He's next to smaller box.
Speaker 3: That really shows a size in that video.
Speaker 2: I feel like, totally, what's I think the thing that I'd like to share about it?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a great hunt, had a great, great time with everybody there and Outlaw outfitters. If you're looking for a good access deer hunt team, Outlaw I believe. But yeah, so you guys know, oh what makes long I guess trophies or whatever is long brow times? And then I can't remember what they called these, something with a pee it's uh. Anyways, when these are as tall as the main beam, then he gets to be a big boy. But this is a reminder to me that for me to get excited about hunting and killing certain species, I need to have some amount of exposure to them more than I have with an axis to here. Now that I've done it three days, I'm kind of excited to go back. I'd like to go back during when they're really roaring in the rut, which is middle of summer in Texas. So it's kind of an adventure because you're gonna be out there with the snakes, you know, in the heat and the heat. But like now I know a little bit about them, and I'm kind of like it. I'm titillated by it and I want to experience more of it. But like how excited these guys were to see this animal? For me, I was like, I don't know, it's like the fourth buck I've ever seen. It's just another It's just another axis to me. I don't know. Do you guys ever feel that? Unlike when you're like when you come to new territory, new animal, but like you don't know the landscape, you don't know the animal. It's kind of hard to you don't have a connection.
Speaker 4: Right, especially with it'd be especially true with the species like that, which isn't even native to North America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. You got to go to India, yea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just recently did an odd ad hunt and never seen one before, so I was basing everything off a bigger sheep that I've seen thousands of and very different animal, similar but different totally. That was difficult too.
Speaker 2: Did you feel connection with that Ali dad or once?
Speaker 3: No, once I put my hands on them, there was a full on connection. But before that not.
Speaker 2: All right? Brody? Would you bring Corey?
Speaker 4: You want to help me?
Speaker 3: It's a truck.
Speaker 4: Do you go?
Speaker 6: I feel like I need a drum roll? Here?
Speaker 2: You do? These boys? For those of you just listening and not looking, it's taking two of them to lift up and and.
Speaker 6: Move move a little bit further in there.
Speaker 2: They're moving Rody's giant moose skull and antlers that you killed. And was that last fall? Last fall?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: What a beauty that's bigger than my dad's.
Speaker 4: I guess I should sit down and talk about it.
Speaker 1: Phil.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this might be a problem. Sorry, we don't have more. You can't like the situations?
Speaker 4: Ye?
Speaker 2: You you need me to help you to get positions. We're live, all right?
Speaker 4: We can just rest it there maybe.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This is my first and only bull moose Alaska Yukon moose brought in for a couple of reasons, just because moose antlers are super cool. But one of the reasons is the bulls. And Yannis knows this from his dad killing one and not in the same spot, but same general zone of Alaska. The bulls in that area tend to have these really big fronts. He's like Paul, almost like a second palm, you know, and a lot a lot of bulls will just have like a couple of times coming out. So it just just makes these particular bulls really really neat. The other reason I brought it in is this is the first, uh, big game animal whose skull I paid to have done. Normally, I clean all my skulls by simmer numb and water and then cleaning them up. I paid to have this one beetled. And the main reason is is if you look how this these antlers come off of the skull, you can't get it down there in the pot. That's right, Like there's a way to do it where you can make notches in a big pot and all that, but I didn't want to mess with it, so I paid to have it beetled. And I think beadled skulls look better then than can look better than.
Speaker 2: Well, and they're definitely stronger. Yeah, they'll hold up longer. Where's that? Where are you hanging that thing? Haven't decided yet, so it's not even on a wall. Yea, yeah, I just put the the uh, the wire, the wire into it the other day.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I gotta gotta pick a spot.
Speaker 2: How much you do you have you waited?
Speaker 4: I'm guessing sixty.
Speaker 2: You think, Yeah, I know when I went to that D and C or DNE is that who shipped yours to.
Speaker 4: Trophy Trophy Alaska Trophy Express.
Speaker 2: I went into one of those in I think it was Fairbanks, and we were going to ship my dad's which was a pretty average fifty three fifty four inch bowl or something, nice fronts, and there's a couple of the big boys in there. Due they were so big that I picked them up and could only hold them long enough for a snap of picture before I had to set them down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was two bulls when we got back into the town. The hangar from the air service we were using, you know, there's there's twenty thirty bullskulls in there. There was a sixty eight and a seventy two. The sixty eight was like my thigh his bases and I'm guessing weighed close to one hundred pounds, I mean amazing. So yeah, like packing this thing out, my guess is around sixty Corey says more. Yeah, maybe it's hard to say, but yeah, it's like a lifetime for me than that. Let's put the sucker down.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks for bringing that in. Yeah, that's that's a lot of effort. Brody's really committed to this episode. Again, if you're just listening at home, we were just looking at Brody's how wide was yours? Mid fifty five inch Alaska Yukon moves head beautiful? All right, Corey, Corey, would you bring Corey brought an antler too.
Speaker 3: It's the Horn episode, all right?
Speaker 2: That thing is dark as can be. You found it that dark if you and you added some shoe posa. I told him it looks like a Roosevelt. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, now now looking it in the camera, it looks a little better. But this is the coolest shed I've ever found. And if you're if you're listening and not watching, you should probably go watch. It's got teeny tiny fronts, but it's third crab claws and splits and he's got maybe.
Speaker 2: I ain't no crab claw, dude, you can't call that a crab claw?
Speaker 3: What is it? Lobster claw?
Speaker 2: No? But I mean it's just like a three yeah. Yeah, crab claw means it's like little bitty crab claw. It's huge though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't know that's like a twenty one inch in line coming out of off his fourth off his royal time.
Speaker 2: Dude, that ding listen, Corey his numbers. There's no way that's twenty one inches. That extra point there. It might be.
Speaker 3: Seventeen you count it from down here there.
Speaker 2: I'll have to learn give it, give it the old hand.
Speaker 3: It might be seventeen. I can't remember the whole thing. The whole thing scored. This shed scored one seventy eight. And that's not guessing. That's yeah, boone and Crockett.
Speaker 4: So one A three sixty plus so four hundo with the spread yep, dang.
Speaker 3: But the coolest part about this is how I found it. So this bowl, Phil, I don't know if you want to play the video.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, hold on a second.
Speaker 3: I used to guide on a ranch in Montana here and this bowl was found in September. This video was taken by the ranch owner, slash Outfitter, And this is the first time we had seen this bowl, anybody had seen him. And this was in September twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: And is that the antler you're holding?
Speaker 3: No, so this is so. Yeah, it's probably a year or two years after this shed was dropped. When this video was tacked, you can tell you regressed a little bit every time. It's a little bit shorter, at least on this side. Look at that in line off is fourth is only seven inches.
Speaker 4: They ever get him, so.
Speaker 3: We couldn't kill him in September, we didn't have that many hunters in archery season, but come rifle season, that was like the bowl everybody wanted, just because he was such a freak. I called him t Rex because he just looked like a dinosaur.
Speaker 4: Good name choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he eluded a lot of hunters for three weeks, and my hunter on the third week really wanted to fully commit to finding this one. And now the bull had moved a few miles from where this video was taken to another spot like a little juniper hell hole, kind of Missouri break style, and he would people would see him from far off, like not being able to put much of a stock on him, or they'd see him and try and put a stock on him. And he eluded a lot of hunters, a lot of really good guides that have killed a lot of elk, and on the third week, my client and I were sitting up on a knob looking down into the spot where he was last seen. We caught a glimpse of a huge bowl by himself at like eleven o'clock in the afternoon, coming over a hill. We dropped everything and rallied down to try and kill him, and the second drainage that we went through, I stumbled across this shed sitting there and nobody had seen him prior to that year, so he was he was on the ranch obviously, at least in the spring. I'm assuming the year before, maybe two years before, but probably the year before. And then the next week we didn't end up killing the bowl. It ended up being another giant seven point that we passed up because he really wanted this one. He ended up killing a different bowl on the last day, but on the next final week of the hunt, one of the last days of rifle season, this bowl was killed in the same exact area by another hunter, so he did go down eventually. But yeah, it's the coolest shed I'll ever find. And I'm not a shed hunter. I just pick him up when I come across him. Shed hunting's gotten a little out of control these days. And if it's if it's hip, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an amazing one.
Speaker 3: That's my story.
Speaker 2: That's so definite. Once in a lifetime shed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Philler, we at the two hour mark.
Speaker 6: Yet not quite that I think. I think, I think there is going to be an extra commercial break, so.
Speaker 2: We'll hit ninety minutes. Questions. I saw one, I for sure want to answer about one week in November.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, please do always skeptical to choose ones based on programming that I don't know about, and I don't want to, you know, cause any hubbubs. So if you want to answer that one, to have at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't remember who what the fella's name was. I'll try to Forgal for that matter. But they asked if there's going to be another one week in November show, and if you didn't watch it, should go back and watch it. But that's where a bunch of us were hunting different locations, but on the same days, and then we sort of showed the communication that we had through text chats and just phone calls and sort of as the one week in November went on, I thought it was a cool idea. The problem with it is that, like every kind of wants to be hunting somewhere, sometime, we have other hunts that we might want to be doing. It was hard to get everybody to do another one cause I think we did two seasons so far. So we just got an invite to go hunt somewhere pretty far south, still in the United States, but southern where the rut is later, and we could do this in January. So we're trying to put together a one week in January where we all would be on this on the same location, hunting the same white tails.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's in the works. Hopefully we will put it pull it off this upcoming January, and you'll probably get to see it fall of twenty six. Thanks for the question, Garrett.
Speaker 3: I still think we need to do one week in September, get four guys out in different different states, hunt out, see what the RT's like. Mm hmmm, use in reach.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, we totally forgot. We're gonna check. I forgot to put this in the intro. Let's check to see if Yanni drew his wyoming.
Speaker 6: Elk tag. Oh, that's a great idea. I'll play a little music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got time.
Speaker 6: I'll play the price of white product music here.
Speaker 4: Now, you seriously haven't looked yet.
Speaker 2: I haven't. Oh boy, how long do you drop the son of a gun?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: It no, it's signed me out Ago Yanni.
Speaker 3: How many points do you have?
Speaker 2: I think I had fourteen going into this year.
Speaker 3: Must be hunting for a trophy unit.
Speaker 2: Then oh buddy, oh buddy, verify the information is correct. Yes, continue, This.
Speaker 6: Is compelling podcasting. I love it. This was this was Corey's this was my idea. It sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but this is fun. Well, yeah, to do it live on the show.
Speaker 2: I didn't draw way non resident Malago and non resident special elk unsuccessful for both man. Dang.
Speaker 3: Times tough out here in the Western States.
Speaker 2: It's crash back to the hoping board or whatever.
Speaker 4: It'll just be to general season.
Speaker 2: What a down? Or to end this podcast on.
Speaker 6: Breaking we have breaking news from the live chat bring it Randall Williams. Oh not hello, Mogo, I mean yes, hello, but he said, did you hear, guys hear about Randall's turkey hout this morning?
Speaker 4: He got one?
Speaker 2: Who was this guy?
Speaker 6: I don't know. Possibly Max. I just know he didn't invite me. But that's fine.
Speaker 2: Pete Munich probably wow, way to go random breaking news.
Speaker 6: Uh that bad luck for Yanni. Good look for Randall. Congrats Randall.
Speaker 3: He probably was hunting at Walmart.
Speaker 6: Matias is upset that we didn't talk more ice fishing this winter. Do you guys have any ice fishing stories or anything fun happening?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, I like it's because everybody's giving up on the ice here in uh south in southwestern Montana.
Speaker 4: There was good ice this year.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, yeah, sorry I phrased that wrong. They've given up on the fishing beneath the ice, whether it's good or not, you just have to go a long ways. Like there isn't great ice fishing. I mean, I mean, if you're happy just catching these little perch and blue gills out of the local ponds, sure, yeah, but yeah, we just don't have it great. And so I think everybody's like they don't know what's to drive four hours for ice fishing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, sorry, no good stories this year fly fishing this winter.
Speaker 6: At the top, before the show even started, Tucker said, how quick do we think the removal of federal lands from the big beautiful bill will come up. Well, Tucker, it's been about ninety minutes, so you guys want to say anything about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I figured by now hopefully most of the people out there know what happened, that the sell off of public lands was withdrawn, was cut out of the bill, and our our home state Senator Ryan Zinkey kind of led the charge to go rogue and go against his Republican counterparts along with a small group of other Western congressmen, and so that stuff got cut out. It's not the land's not going to get sold. So it's good news. But I'm assuming by now most people have great What.
Speaker 2: Was interesting to me is that I didn't catch the talk about the public lands sell off anywhere besides my sort of like hunting Instagram channel.
Speaker 4: I saw it in a couple of like major news. Yeah, so it was like it was almost and they mentioned this morning when they went through what was cut out of the bill. It was mentioned in there. It's great news. Unfortunately, like I think that a lot of people aren't aware that it, Like like there's a couple of things that remained in that bill which aren't cool, which is the boundary waters like mining right next to it could still happen, and protections in anwar are being lifted Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. So while lands aren't getting sold, there's certainly public lands that are are still in danger. So there's a reason to keep paying attention to what happens with this.
Speaker 2: That's right, So take a break for a day or two, and then we got to get right back to the fight and give your reps another call. Tell them how you feel about mining next to the wilderness area in Minnesota, and how you feel about drilling in an warm.
Speaker 6: Yep yep, Devin says. Heynnas seen the new video with you and Randall blowing stuff up with the new six to seventy seven Fury cartridge. What was your favorite thing to blow up that day and what did you like about the cartridge?
Speaker 2: Ah, the watermelon definitely looked the coolest. You know. We did blow up some some sort of fake ballistics gel animals that also had blood inside of the ballistics gel, which was surprising. We didn't know that was a part of it. So that was fun too. But I'd say, if you're gonna go shoot something, the watermelon is the thing to do. It's a little way, so you might have to buy two so you can eat the other one. Ah, the cartridge. Yeah, man, it's a short action, so it's gonna be a lightweight gun with magnum power. But don't you like about that? Yeah? I haven't gotten a hunt with it yet, Hopefully this fall I will. I'll let you know then.
Speaker 6: Cool, that's not what I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a big bull Cory. Hey, he got the early morning turkey too. Looks like the sun's not even over the horizon.
Speaker 4: Sent a roost rocket up there to get him.
Speaker 2: I've heard that one. Bro. That's good Randall wouldn't kill a bird off the roost. That's a beauty.
Speaker 6: Jackson says. If any of you used thermocell for mosquitoes, I never heard them mentioned on the show when the topic of mosquitoes is brought up. They work like magic for Jackson.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: Or if you guys have any other miss tips maybe.
Speaker 2: Oh man, hard hard to beat thermoicelle along with deep everything else. But thermo cells are great.
Speaker 3: How heavy are they? I've never held one like heavy A couple carrying around on a ten mile bear hunt.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, if the if the mosquitoes were really really bad, sure, because they're light. They're kind of bulky, but they're light.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, cool, I need to try one.
Speaker 6: I don't know I have any of you. Is anyone in this room hunted a mountain goat.
Speaker 3: I've helped a couple of different buddies harvests.
Speaker 6: Mount Okay, so yes Esbo says that they drew a once in a lifetime mountain goat, Idaho tag any tips.
Speaker 3: Get them before the snow gets too deep.
Speaker 2: Don't learn the unit man in the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, make sure if you're not in mountain shaped train, Yeah, get in goat shape. Make sure you know the difference between a nanny and a billy. That's tough.
Speaker 2: Depending Yeah, he might most go tags though, aren't.
Speaker 3: Most of them are? But yeah, I might as well aim for a billy for sure.
Speaker 6: Let's see, does anyone have any good crayfish or crawdad recipes from our guy Leland. He's helping run a crayfish BHA event in Arizona and he needs recipes to share.
Speaker 4: Crawfish A two f a man. That stuff's great, and then just the old crawfish boil. You gotta do that too, yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, specific recipes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 2: I would just go to cajuncooking dot com for those two.
Speaker 4: Any shrimp recipe it worked too or whatever?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go, but what's that seafood boil that they like to eat low Country or oh? That like the brand? Yeah, I don't know. I think it's the brand is Louisiana, isn't It might be louis You were down there for a bunch of those boils, don't you remember, Thanks Louisyana brand. Yeah, just buy like, go online and order a big box full. They got jugs of the boil. You just pour in with the water. Yeah, then you just dump all your ingredients in there. It's easy.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know what, guys, we just set the record for the longest episode of media.
Speaker 2: We did it. We did that last time I was host.
Speaker 6: Let's go ahead and call it there.
Speaker 2: I hope everybody enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: I hope you know that you're completely even slowly moving out of frame, Yanni, and now nobody can see you at all.
Speaker 2: I hope you all enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun retelling our hunting stories and listening to Brody and Corey's hunt stories. We should tell more hunt stories on this show. You like hunting stories. Make sure you're right in and say and put uh you know, attention, Spencer, we love hunting stories.
Speaker 3: I'll read it.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe we'll just have we'll have a two hosts show soon. It'll just be you and Spencer, and you guys can kind of compete for you know, meandering, fun hunting stories without any sort of you know, like like fenced in. And then you got Spencer trying to move the show along. I think there's a lot of contention there. I think it could be a really fun show. We'll put a pull up at the end of see which which format people like the best.
Speaker 2: I just ran a race called Don't Fence me In? So oh nice. Don't fence me in? Spencer, thank you all for listening. We'll see you next week.