Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning, Good evening.
Speaker 3: I'm Leanna Holsten and I'm Sienna Jacob and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films directed by women.
Speaker 1: Yeah we are. This podcast is a safe marriage for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching The Proposal.
Speaker 2: Can't Can't fight, A can't can't fight, can't fight A love like ours?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: Uh are we good with this? A film that we've all heard of in this day and age. Warning there will be spoilers about this Alaskan surprisingly Alaskan old film. Ask Leanna, Hello, good morning. We've switched our morning times. Can I tell you I'm check well? Leonna, what's your predictions for this movie The Proposal?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Can I listen to your first please?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay, Hi Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch The Proposal. I haven't seen this in a long time, but I predict the cutest dog in cinematic history. Sorry, if you can hear my friends. They're yelling about the entire plot of the Proposal, so I had to run away and record my predictions. It reminded me ofthing that happened to the film The Cutest Dog in cinematic History. I think his name is Kevin, Ryan Reynolds, Sandra Bullock, Betty White, how that guy fun vibes Alaska. Probably some stuff it's not aged well, but honestly, I predicted it's gonna be fun. Okay, love you bye?
Speaker 1: Okay, first of all, so cute you watch it with your friends?
Speaker 2: Thank you. This is how I really can tell. I am happier, like just less having depression in the UK because I'm not watching movies alone every time. Yes, yeah, sometimes there are friends.
Speaker 1: Movies are fun more fun to watch.
Speaker 2: It a group. Isn't that interesting? Okay, Sienna, could I please hear your prediction?
Speaker 1: Yes, Hi, Leanna, this is Sienna. I'm about to watch The Proposal, a film I have never seen. I recognize the cover, which is oddly iconic. So is this like, oh my god, she forces, she forced? This is her? Yes, oh my gosh, her employee to propose to her. Are you fake proposes to her?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: She's a woman who has it all except for love. She has the job. She's a boss. I don't know, I've seen the trailer. Maybe I predict Sandra Book is a mean boss who ends up finding a soft side for a cute guy. I love you, good viral.
Speaker 2: Oh you're done, you were done?
Speaker 1: I love you goodbye? Oh yeah, I was done.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you'd never seen this before.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it, and I gotta tell you her many surprising moments. Okay, there were some shocking scenes.
Speaker 2: This will be very because I've seen this movie like ten times now and I perfect I saw it like when it came out. Yeah this is and then again in like middle school with my pals during a sleepover, vibes like this. I printed upon this film totally long ago. In the ancient text.
Speaker 1: I will say it wasn'tularly offensive. It wasn't particularly like.
Speaker 2: It could have been all good? Could it have been worse?
Speaker 1: Like Betty White? And then you're like, oh, she's cultural Okay, well the character, this character, I thought she was just making this choice on her own, but it's her heritage.
Speaker 2: But they want to justify it later they do try. Yeah, so crazy. I can't believe you've never seen No, I've really never do you think in two thousand and nine, what was going on? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was listening to the Beatles or something. Oh that kind o kind?
Speaker 2: You were that kind well, I mean, hey, girl, girl, before we get into it, she's wearing the best sweater in the world. Everybody you know said before, a French bulldog.
Speaker 1: What's to tell? What's to tell? So much shit, it's so little, it's so much. It's a little. Uh.
Speaker 2: This episode comes out the day before your birthday. I don't know if you want to comment on that.
Speaker 1: At all birthdays, birthdays, birthdays, they come every year, but you never really know what to do for them.
Speaker 2: That's true this year. I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: I've not been talking a lot lately. Anyway, Please continue this year.
Speaker 1: I really want to just like, I want to take a page out of Leanna's book and use a party to force my friends.
Speaker 2: To leave the country.
Speaker 1: Like oh, like, for example, when you're like, we're all gonna watch nineteen seventeen and do it, I think I love that. I think that's so funny. Yeah, it's like this is a special thing for me and you as my friends are going to partake in my passion. But I can't remember any of that stuff. So now I'm like, okay, I've got I'm gonna get people to come over. But I hope by next week I'll have thought of something.
Speaker 2: Once it's passed. Okay, yeah, don't Okay, So you're gonna do at your place. You're doing birthday at your place on the day, but it's gonna be on the day I'm doing the day.
Speaker 1: Before, I'm doing the day before.
Speaker 2: Oh the data that episode comes out, yes, wow, yes, the day.
Speaker 1: This episode comes out, and then the next day, so we'll have had a little gathering. The next day, I we'll wake up so I don't have to be thinking about it all day and I'll just like go get my nails done, our salad and enjoy. Oh but you know it is it's gonna be too many people to like do like quiplash, Like that'll really stress me out. Okay, yeah, because I'm just kind of inviting everyone I know, So I need to have sort of stations.
Speaker 2: Wow, fun. Yeah, I love stations. I love giving people an activity today. Yeah, you're good at a party, It's very crucial. Maybe, so that I don't have to talk to everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, hey girl, what's up with you?
Speaker 2: Hey girl, it is seven thirty in the morning. Thank you, thank you so much for doing this, and thank you so much for doing this, and thank you and thank you. Are my brother, Yeah, is going to be in London. What's the story with that for approximately twenty two hours?
Speaker 1: Is he just is he here for work? Is he here to visit you?
Speaker 2: He's here to see me, and then he's heading on to a different part of Europe to visit someone else. And good for him. I think we're going to go to brunch, but we've honestly got very little planned because he's gonna be jet lagged. Yeah, I'm gonna be like, I get it. I did a podcast at seven in the morning. I understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you guys, and then I have YouTube and then he'll leave.
Speaker 5: Maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll probably watch some YouTube and then he'll leave. No, I have two count of two birthday parties to go to tonight. Oh my, I'm bringing my brother to two birthday parties.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I think it'll be goofy as hell. That's one. One is a birthday for someone who is turning twenty five?
Speaker 1: Why are you going to that?
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I didn't know she was that age. I know her through stand up and she was like, come to my birthday. I was like, I'd love to thank you so much, and then she was like my twenty fifth birthday and I was like, you're what.
Speaker 1: The thing is is? I feel like it's often kind of discussed as like, oh, fuck you, but it's really just like the second I find out somebody's turning any age below twenty five, blow twenty six, twenty five, oh, it is immediately they are immediately unrelatable to me. I'm like, oh, we're on different planets because I remember that, I remember turning twenty five.
Speaker 2: I don't but her she's doing it's a very twenty five year old schedule of like meeting at a pub from like eight thirty, which love that. But then she was like, so we'll do that and then at midnight we're all going to go to this club. No, and I was like, well, no, we are not. No, that's there's nothing happened. Never is at midnight on my syllabus for the day. That's not gonna happen. Maybe Ben will. I don't know Ben might have a wind and go go party it up, just want.
Speaker 1: To ruin my next day. I never feel like a spear y next day, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: I feel that as well.
Speaker 1: I barely do good stuff with my days. I barely ill. Like I'll be like I need to really feel good tomorrow and then stay in bed for seven hours of course, but I'd rather do that than be I just never ever want to be hungover. Ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes of late I'll get a yearning to be hungover just so I can go really hoe out on a grilled cheese.
Speaker 1: That is. I guess that's that's what people get.
Speaker 2: But it's not worth the suffering.
Speaker 1: They get into the sort of the rhythm of you you party, it's fun and then you you kind of have a TLC day, which there's definitely those be the time, but yeah, exactly. Also, my weekends aren't ever weekends these days. It's like so unclear, and I'm supposed to do the exactly because I work on weekends with was the time, and it's just like.
Speaker 2: Mmm, it's weird. Yeah, I feel that way as well. It's like, well, I have to do podcast editing of a Sunday, so I can't I can't be completely out of it, and then Monday is work again, so I won't be able to recover. Then only a long weekend would save us. I really think we as a society need to reconsider capitalism. But who has the time to discuss that. We're here to talk about love well, Happy Valentine's Day. Oh my god, it's our Valentine's episode.
Speaker 1: I forgot to say that.
Speaker 2: I say good more Valentine instead of saying Happy Valentine's Day, I said good morning. That's so me, good morning, good morning. Oh oh, Sienna, would you mind giving us a synopsis of the film that you just stopped the first time? The Proposal?
Speaker 1: I would love to the proposal. A high powered, bitch.
Speaker 6: Canadian immigrant business woman is about to be deported, so she cuts a mutually beneficial and threatening deal with her snarky, charming assistant.
Speaker 1: They go to visit his family in what's a nice way to say, bumfuck?
Speaker 2: Sitka Sitka in Sitka, Alaska?
Speaker 1: Thank you. Their love is a lie for most of the time, but then surprisingly it becomes real the end. Yay, I love Sandra Bullock. I'll say it.
Speaker 2: I love her so I watch her do anything she's a delight. I think she's amazing. I was talking, Oh yeah, okay, yeah, let's know that I want to hear your first know what's that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: You first?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say I think he's also very charming. I think when his jokes don't land, the fact that he's so charming as a default makes it even weirder that it's like, oh, that was just a poorly delivered joke, and I didn't get that because I don't know he's a specific specimen to me. But I think he is objectively charming and I know that. I'm like, he's really good at his whole vibe. But then when he says something and I'm like, I didn't like that at all, kind of like, yeah, brother, only you could just be normal for those lines.
Speaker 2: Brother. No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, what were we gonna say about Sandra?
Speaker 2: Well, I was about thinking about the two of them in this film specifically. They really both are triple threats where they're they're both hot, so stunning, gorgeous. Yeah yeah, yeah, they're both actually good actors and they're both really funny, Like they're good at comedy. He do a lot of yeah, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Did they have chemistry? What do you think?
Speaker 2: I thought so. I thought they were really good at not having chemistry. Like the physical awkwardness between the two of them was very fun up at the beginning. And then that kiss at the end.
Speaker 1: Uh huh hey, yeah, oh that was that was a very lovely kiss. Yeah, that was like one of the most real type of passionate kisses I've seen in like a Hollywood rom com like us. Huh yeah, huh.
Speaker 2: Well, shall we dive into phone notes? Let's do it. This is our segment phone notes, our romantic segment phone notes, where we romantically read the notes that the other person took on their romantic phone while watching this romantic film. Can I ask you a question? Up top?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Where are you at with love these days? With this Valentine's Day? Love is in the air?
Speaker 1: Fascinating question?
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 1: I am at a place where I I think I had a lot of beliefs about things when I'd only been in relationships where we didn't respect each other that much. And I think I'm now at an age where people are just more respectful of each other. M And I'm in a relationship that's actually really good for me and so I feel a lot more like, oh okay about a lot of stuff that people say about things, I'm like, okay, I see all right, yeah, all right. If this is how people have been feeling, then I see why you'd stay it with them. Oh and stuff like that. So it's good. I'm definitely feel like I'm at a mature place. But I also feel like I'm like, I can't be most of the time how people are feeling. And that's what I think, Like the almost all of these movies, I'm like, yeah, right, okay, anyway, I guess it's more relationship stuff than love. But and then I love love. Oh Leanna, what about yourself?
Speaker 2: I have gone back into retirement. Okay, every couple of years I'll come out of retirement and attempt and then I will I inevitably I will go back into retirement. And of recently I have I have once, I've gotten my AARP card, I have received my pension. I am moving nada, I'm in h There's there's that Beyonce quote from I Think Homecoming, where she was like, until I see some of my notes applied, it doesn't make sense for me to give more. And I kind of feel that way. About my my my potential options.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, listen until until things improve. I will be in retirement until I see something worth my time. You can find me in my home. So once again, yes, I'm happy to announce I am off the market in the sense that I am. I left, I left the market place, I got in my car, and I drove home. Is it more I didn't purchase anything to do you feel more?
Speaker 1: Is it more peaceful to be like, Okay, I'm literally just not gonna even be thinking about that as my main thing right now for a while.
Speaker 2: You know it is. I still don't know what country I'll be allowed to live in in a month's time. So that's that's so that's the top of mine. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess there's nothing we know that we know.
Speaker 2: Nothing about that every email I receive this agony, I'm I'm at a ten at all times right now. It's it's certainly coming from a place of self preservation because my crush hurt my feelings, and then I got there about them. So gosh, we are contentedly going no going offline for a period of time.
Speaker 1: I hurt my feelings and then I got the ache and so I logged off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then after all of that, they let a door slam in my face. Literally, I was like, yeah, you know what, I'm going into retirement again.
Speaker 1: Soon there will be another sort of rush of people breaking up with people.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think your theory that my thirties will be amazing because everybody's going to be getting divorces.
Speaker 1: True that because the people who like got married early and got I don't know, you always need to find someone on your rhythm, Like it makes sense. The person I'm with now, we had very similar trajectories of like we're kind of serial monogamists, like at a young age and then just like took time off and then sort of met each other as like new. It's just like, oh, this is We're in a different All of our stories and stuff are kind of young stories now of like our different dating life. So now we're just sort of like, yeah, I've just figured out who I am as a person kind of and.
Speaker 2: Love Yeah I love that.
Speaker 1: No, it's really like, oh this is what Okay, this is okay. The advice I was getting before this was terrible because it was all based on being in really immature relationships. We're just like not compatible. Like there are certain things where I'm like, I would never have stayed with these people had I known that you could be what compatibility looked like.
Speaker 2: Oh, can I say something that is sincere but might not sound it because it's me and it's seven thirty in the morning. Yeah, yes, I'm so happy for you. This, like, just watching you in this relationship has been so lovely to see. And it's like, because yes, I've seen you in a few different relations you have heard tell of others. Yeah, and it really does seem like this is such a nice like fulfilling and like I feel like healthy is like a uh uh, patronizing word. It's not the one that I'm looking for. But just like I think that's true though, Yeah, fulfilling. You just like that's so nice.
Speaker 1: Thank you? Yeah, yeah, it really is.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, and you're welcome.
Speaker 1: You really got to be your best self to find your best person.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, for really really that's good to know. Write that down.
Speaker 1: Does your assistant keep touching your butt? That is not appropriate? We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, great, Now that we've checked in on where we're at on loaf, we can read each other's notes. Oh my god, Siena. Okay, yes, your first note is so right, you wrote, I have a feeling this movie is going to be so of its time.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. And then your first note is from your friend actually, which is this is a piece of historical fiction. Yes, I felt that so many times. Let's think of the times when this was a piece of historical fiction. Every outfit I was to say, her outfits hurt her ballet flats with the straight top underneath the yellow.
Speaker 2: Sweater sc scarfit is crazy. I hate that outfit.
Speaker 1: It was horrible. I was trying to get.
Speaker 2: White shirt, gray and white striped scarf that with thinner stripes and then yellow card to get.
Speaker 1: I was staring at that outfit, trying to figure out what it was that the wardrobe department was trying to tell us with it, and I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Eddie White does a tribal dance of some sort, the problematic part obviously, and then the fascination was something like that without consulting anybody, just like whatever's going on in film sets, that's crazy. And then the point of that scene is that they go until Sandra Bullock starts shaking her ass and the wall. Yes. Yeah, Like I don't know how that was written down in the screenplane. I don't know, but it's something they were doing at the time that we can't explain anymore.
Speaker 2: No Obama had just been inaugurated. It was a hopeful time.
Speaker 1: Oh Leona, you said, oh wow, this is so triggering. What about her visa?
Speaker 2: They were like, your vida has expired.
Speaker 1: I watching this, I was like, the fact that this movie is about deportation is like boom boom, boom boom, because like, there's so many horrible things going on in America right now regarding and then also on top of that, we have this personal thing where Leana doesn't know if she's going to stay in London where she is working right now. Like your boss can call you in and tell you you need to get married, yeah, which is literally what happens, because.
Speaker 2: That's what often I mean, yes, absolutely, And Eliza and I both were watching it, and we both are in a similar visa status state, and immediately as soon as we heard the word visa, we said.
Speaker 1: What if you guys marry each other? Would that work?
Speaker 2: No, that would be two Americans getting married.
Speaker 1: So they send you back to Yeah, yes, you can get shot right across the sea.
Speaker 2: It would not be a heterosexual marriage. Everyone would hate it. Every government would hate it.
Speaker 1: Unrecognizable, Leana, some of your nuts you said, I used to not know who Humphrey Bogart was. I missed that time. I think that often on this podcast. I think it.
Speaker 2: When I first saw this movie, I was like, I have no idea who they're talking about. Oh, and then a lot of viewings after I still didn't know.
Speaker 1: I was recently at a thing where somebody brought up somebody brought up the Last Picture Show and how they liked it, and I was like, oh my god, I'm seeing you. I've seen it, and I hated it more than almost anything I've ever seen in my entire life. It was absolutely it was. It was so strange and horrible and naked, and they're talking about how how it was good.
Speaker 2: It made me feel strick.
Speaker 1: I was like, I don't even want to be having a conversation about it. Just wish I had no knowledge. I want to erase my you know how, and men and Black they have those memory erasers. Absolutely, Oh that'd be so nice.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Anybody listeners writ in if anybody has one of those, we could use it. Leanna, you've said I'm gonna throw up. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: My God? And you said this dog in this is a strange obstacle. Oh okay, so my note is about the puppy I will say, is insane.
Speaker 1: This dog was incredibly cute dog. I love this dog so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Really enjoying this dog throughout, I was like, yeah, this is it looks like Leanna's dog extra small.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, do you know what what our dog, the miniature husky, is a combination of an American Eskimo dog and a skipper key, and the puppy in this film, Kevin is portrayed by four different puppies I googled, okay, two of which are samoids, which are those really fleshy cloud dogs, and two of which are American Eskimo dogs. So literally, of course it. Yes, it does look like little keeps so cute.
Speaker 1: Love this dog. The time where I'm talking about this dog being a strange obstacle, I'm glad that you watched the tube a lot as a youth, but I gotta tell you from an outside PERSPECTI as an adult, it's not very good. Oh there are a few sequences to hear yep I and not in a deep not like oh this sucks. I just was like, okay, yeah, okay, I see how this is not good. For example, just like the dog, like, she's like, this dog keeps barking at me. So she's like, I'm naked, I'm naked. How am I going to get to the towels when there's a little dog barking here? And there's a very long sequence of her needing to scoot the dog over and this obstacle of a dog sort of barking. It's not there are no real steaks here. They just they've kind of decided that this is something that's a problem. But they didn't. I didn't. It's not a problem. It's a dog. It's not a problem.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been barked at by a dog repeatedly?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I have in a doorway. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My grandma had very yappy dogs. Yeppy, yapp yep, yeppy.
Speaker 2: It's an you were trying to get around to them. Interesting. I think I understood this because our dog, who has some American Eskimo in him, was insane and he went for the feet. Oh, he'd go for your feet if you tried to get around, which they weren't portraying Kevin as because Kevin was not a villain in this film, right, So there his Kevin's mode was bark. Keebo's mode was bite the feet, And so I understood because if Keebo was trying to block me from getting a towel, I probably would have reacted similarly. No, he wasn't.
Speaker 1: It was a strange obstacle, and I felt a number of times in Hoovey went, this is a strange obstacle.
Speaker 2: It is very like the rom com genre of like silly antics, Yeah, what what silly situations can we get them into?
Speaker 1: On the right side, everybody in this is very charming and so.
Speaker 2: Okay, your last note that you bought is I don't know what to say about that? Is this when they slam into each other naked?
Speaker 1: No, I think that actually was about the Betty White part, and apparently I've said a lot about it. Oh, I really want to talk about the naked slam that was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Actually, the naked slam me. When I get laid, I'm gonna text you finally did the naked slam slamm that was got naked slammed.
Speaker 1: That was crazy and also hilarious. I honestly appreciate that level so funny, that level of like uh uh, suspension of disbelief in the rom calm world where they just go, you know what, Yeah, he's getting naked on the porch and yeah, she feels like this dog is stopping her like that. That was all that was really funny. It was worth it for undergo. Yeah. Yeah, oh my god, you don't make me laugh so much. Is where he goes, I don't understand. Why are you what? I don't understand. He sounded so deeply confused. That was so relatable to me. I don't understand.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. And the fact that they just go for it with the shot, like you see there, it's like full body that shot. Yeah, is so funny.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, amazing. Okay, yes, Leona, I agree with this. I completely agree with this. This is where I think that what we're noticing is that some of the writing was like truly probably awful, but the the performers are awesome, so like it's fine, like they can get away with most of it, but there are certain things like out of the blue when he says, you are a very, very beautiful woman, And Leanna said, this always feels like such an odd line to me. Please discuss it's so out of the blue. I was trying to grab on in my brain to where this would have come up or why he said it.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, and this is maybe where I think sometimes I get confused about the Ryan Reynold's charmingness because he's doing his thing and I'm like, wait, was there supposed to be a moment of vulnerability where you felt like you needed to tell her this because you're falling for her? Or is this just that you're saying it to be nice because she's being insecure. But she's not being insecure really, She's just talking about how like her parents died.
Speaker 2: So like my parents died, you are so beautiful.
Speaker 1: You are a very very beautiful woman. It was completely It's like, again, I can see that the writing. They wrote that at the very end of the page because they knew that had to be the transition that made it so that she started kind of looking at him in that light.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: But they had that at the end of the page, and they wrote everything in between, and they went crap, is this enough?
Speaker 2: Did we get there? I know that line always feels odd to me.
Speaker 1: Is really out of place? I really was. And the thing is, no matter what I have to say about this movie and what was clearly odd about it, and it was really odd, there were some things that were I don't know how they got away with this becoming kind of a classic. But we were engrossed. We were like eyes on the screen because these guys are great actors. They watch so I was like, Oh, I'm really with you here, Ryan, But I don't understand why you're saying that at all. It's weird.
Speaker 2: It really is weird. It's such a strange thing to say.
Speaker 1: Okayan, Another note from your friend Actua founding father Hare.
Speaker 2: Can you guess which character has this spoiler alert? It's more than one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know exactly what you're talking about. It's the low Pony. No, Thomas Jefferson Low Pony, It's not No.
Speaker 2: Do you want to hint?
Speaker 1: I can't guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Benjamin Franklin.
Speaker 1: Okay, nobody ever talks about benin Franklin's hair.
Speaker 2: People talk about Ben Franklin all the time.
Speaker 1: No one talks about Ben Franklin.
Speaker 2: People are always honestly too much. People talk about.
Speaker 1: They can't give it up, how jealous they are.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you guys got pen Franklin.
Speaker 1: I can't think of it.
Speaker 2: Who is it the dad?
Speaker 1: Oh, oh my gosh, absolutely, why does he do that?
Speaker 2: It's the dad. And then, unbelievably, it's also Ryan Reynolds's childhood sweetheart. At the wedding, they gave her founding father hair. She looked terrible at the wedding. She looked so bad. I really think they were like, she can't look beautiful. Cassandra Bulak has to be beautiful.
Speaker 1: She is so beautiful, and I don't know what they did to her. They put her in this horrible like circus tent out like striped thing, and her hair was hot. Her was doing things I've never seen. I literally went, oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's very quaker oats, quaker oats. Yeah, that's really funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this dad and this was such a villain, I mean, and he also a wet blanket. He sucks, it.
Speaker 1: Seems like, especially because his son's like, yeah, Dad, I want to work in an office. I know, you want to start businesses all over Alaska and I just want to read.
Speaker 2: All over one Main Street in Alaska.
Speaker 1: It didn't I didn't understand what his dad's because they owned. He's like, how dah, I want to really work in an office. It's like, it's not that crazy thing to do.
Speaker 2: I guess, being very like rich white boy conflict. Yeah, in turn inner turmoil.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you've said before, I'm dead. I love how she plays the dead card Oh yeah, Betty White is so funny. I love Betty White. She's so funny.
Speaker 2: She is like, it's my ninetieth birthday. I could die at any minute. You have to do what I want.
Speaker 1: What this movie did right good for you is they gathered all the people who have it. They really got it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Betty White. Mary Steinberg, who plays Ryan Reynolds's mom, I love her so much.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Leana, Oh wait wait, first I'll say this, Lea. You said, I wish someone would wrap me in a cardigan on a boat and hug me tightly and tell me everything is okay. That's okay, want fine, Okay.
Speaker 2: I'm in retirement, it's fine, right.
Speaker 1: I liked when she fell off the boat.
Speaker 2: That was so funny.
Speaker 1: I laughed out loud for a long time at that.
Speaker 2: We were laughing so often during this film, because.
Speaker 1: This movie also isn't afraid to just straight up have a stunt double. Like a stunt double just threw themselves over the edge of that boat. Great, it was awesome, both legs straight in the air. Love Sandra Bullock like she does.
Speaker 2: She's so good at physical comedy, she really is. Yeah, like when she's trying to get comfortable in the bed.
Speaker 1: Or later when she's looking for her phone, or when she's swinging that dog around. Leona, you have said walking down the aisle instead of a bouquet. Nope, oh okay, Leonna, you have said walking down the aisle instead of a bouquet, I would hold Kevin. I'll admit that sentence was That sentence was crazy.
Speaker 2: That's such a good idea, though, thank you. Instead of a bouquet of flowers, you're just holding a puppy of the fluffiest cloud puppy.
Speaker 1: That puppy was so cute. That dog was so was so wonderful.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that dog was so good. And they also put that dog in the right number of seas. The dog was in so many scenes and rightly.
Speaker 1: So I agree. I think they use this dog. Well, yeah, if.
Speaker 2: You have a dog that cute, you have to feature it throughout the film.
Speaker 1: Leonna, your final note is applodding.
Speaker 2: Oh, I enjoyed this movie. I love again so much.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, it's sweet. The dog.
Speaker 4: The dog.
Speaker 2: Is the cutest dog in the world. Blocking you from getting a towel. Prepare for the naked slam.
Speaker 1: Prepare for the naked slam me and my boyfriend on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, prepare for the naked slam.
Speaker 1: Welly on. Shall we move on to badges in trag Yes, where we talk about the badges where we give badges for.
Speaker 2: Bodies that are nude smacking into each other.
Speaker 1: And trages for trying to deport someone.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, I do have.
Speaker 1: A badge for this dog. I really like this dog right off the bat, and I was pleased about it. Yeah, I thought you might like that.
Speaker 2: Yay, I have a badge for the line when he interrupts her meeting with the execs who are telling her she's being deported, and he says, Mary called, I told her you were otherwise engaged, and that's how she gets the idea.
Speaker 1: That was fun. Yeah, that was fun. You know what. That was stinking fun badge for I don't understand.
Speaker 2: Why you're we Oh a badge for nature. Oh my god, Alaska is so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Totally agree, I really ei. There were moments where I went, oh my gosh, this is so beautiful. I was so happy when we found out it was going to be in Alaska. Oh, Alaska badge for Ramone working everywhere. I thought that was hilarious. I loved Ramone Oscar from the office. M h he was he was. He was killing me in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: His accent was horrible, completely troubling, indecipherable.
Speaker 2: I remember I thought when I saw this in theaters, the reveal that he's also the officiant of the wedding got such a big laugh.
Speaker 1: Oh that's just fun. That is a good gag. That is a good gag.
Speaker 2: Oh A badge for Betty White.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh, she's wow.
Speaker 2: She's so good, A national treasure.
Speaker 1: National treasure. She's just she's the best.
Speaker 2: She's so funny, she really is.
Speaker 1: She's a pro badge of course for when she falls on the water. I mean, gosh, that really really made me laugh. That like surprised me. I was laughing very hard.
Speaker 2: A badge for Kevin Kevin, and a sub badge for the movie's respect of how cute Kevin is and the fact that they needed to put that dog in as many scenes as possible.
Speaker 1: And they kept going like, oh, so cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just sitting on the dad's lap watching darts or whatever. And then Ryan Reynolds is sleeping on a couch and Kevin is with him.
Speaker 1: Yes, badge for say what you will about rom coms like this, but they get they are efficient, they get the job done. I really appreciated it. Her They just went straight to Alaska, you know. She's like, well, yeah, why don't we just go get married right now? And so they go straight to get married, and then.
Speaker 2: That it takes place over a one weekend as well.
Speaker 1: They get to Alaska, they immediately go to a party.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, they sing, yeah, yeah, oh. A badge for cinnamon rolls.
Speaker 1: Those look amazing, amazing. I wanted one so badly.
Speaker 2: While I was watching Man, I need that.
Speaker 1: I wonder if we love cinnamon rolls the same amount. It seems like somewhere we might converge.
Speaker 2: I bet, Wow, we've never had cinnamon rolls together.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, next time we're both in the same place in America, because they don't do them here.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 2: No, they did pastry. No if they if they do, like a roll, it'll be very flaky, like croissant type pastry. They're not doing the bready like cinnabon.
Speaker 1: It's like boiled suet.
Speaker 2: Okay, I watch a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I watch a lot of those Victorian like Victorian videos. I know what people are doing over there, and it's disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're boiling every pudding in a copper tin. Yeah, tied up and string.
Speaker 1: Those are all my badges.
Speaker 2: My final badge is for this husky sweater after she falls out of the boat, they wrap her up in it. It's I mean, yours, yours is are is even better hers is? What hers has is like the cuddliness. You can just tell it's warm. It says Alaska on the sleeves and there's two huskies on it. That rocked, Oh that rocked trages.
Speaker 1: Trages, trage. For this deportation element is troubling at this time because we were talking about the whole thing that they were saying of like, well, you have to go right now. And it just it feels like something in the United States right now that would easily be but it felt completely like this does not feel so at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I have a trage for I bet a man wrote the manuscript that he's impressed by. He keeps pushing this specific manuscript that he read. He's like, this one is different, this one is special, and I'm like, there's just no way that it wasn't written by a man.
Speaker 1: So true trage for as we've mentioned, I wrote, uh, Betty White tribe thing, mm hmmm. This was before they revealed her heritage.
Speaker 2: That she's won sixteenth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she won sixteenth in this too.
Speaker 2: I mean I think it's her great grandfather who married a woman. But you know, from the tribe.
Speaker 1: You know, people's identities aren't fractualized in that way. But it is Betty White playing.
Speaker 2: I mean her last name is White.
Speaker 1: It is Betty White, and I do not think that is her truth. It's just wasn't it's you know, something that it was not a thoughtful I think also just chanting into the woods. Whatever you feel is just something that's made up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my best. Not feel researched, did.
Speaker 1: Not feel researched. The movie did not feel researched in that way, and we can acknowledge that.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, I have a tradge for it. He is not afraid enough of her as someone who has been an assistant. Their dynamic. He was too confident being snarky to his boss. I get that they fall in love, so there had to be a level of comfort. And to be fair, he had worked for her for three years. But you're still there is an element and maybe this is just maybe he doesn't have an anxiety disorder. But in that case, why are you working as an assistant? I don't know.
Speaker 1: So true. I guess those are all the tragices I wrote down, But.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a trage for some troubling representations here. Yeah, this is the scene in the immigration office where they were just it was lazy writing. It was so trope riddled.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, there's also she literally says at some point, She's like, I'm not even an immigrant. I'm from Canada. It was like, what do we mean by that?
Speaker 2: Okay, what do we mean by that? I think you mean you're white. Yeah that's not quite yeah, exactly, that's not acceptable. A trage for he touches her ass one too many times in this film, Like I didn't like the the premise of like, well, you're forcing me to marry you, so I'm gonna grab your ass. It's just like noah, yeah, quite weird, not quite, it has not aged. And then uh, yes, my final traged I just wrote troubling for the scene where Betty White is chanting into the woods in some really vague cultural garb.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what to say. So many surprising things happened in a row.
Speaker 2: It is surprising, And I remember in two thousand and nine everybody was like, gosh, what a funny evolution that scene had. That it and it is funny that it ends up with Sandra Bullock performing to the window to the wall. I guess it's revealing of her personality, her character, but it's troubling.
Speaker 1: It's funny in the way that like an improv scene going off the rails is funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, there's a nice sentiment of like being grateful to mother Nature for what she has given and being thankful for the love that you have. Like that is nice.
Speaker 1: I too, I was like, Okay, she's actually like speaking good messages. Here also, and not to be like I don't know, some nitpicky liberal here, but I just don't think Alaska is broken down in such a way. I don't think it's just like a bunch of a bunch of white people and then like one undisclosed Latino guy. I think there's probably a lot more Native representation. And yeah, it was, it was clearly unresearched. Also, maybe a trage for what's his name again, ramone remote, Maybe a trage for Ramone's accent.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know, yes, I just I.
Speaker 1: Kept imagining him. I forget the actor's name, but I kept imagining him fireworks on my screen for no reason. I kept imagining him going off like whenever they're taking like a camera break or whatever, that he'll go take a moment and be like, okay, okay, I need to practice again, I need to practice. This is coming out wrong. It's coming out wrong. And then he goes back on and tries it again. But you know what, it's just like, that's.
Speaker 2: Okay, stop making brown actors do accents. You know, they're like four roles.
Speaker 1: It's not really making sense yet. I think maybe if you're a little warm, I don't know, cultured.
Speaker 2: Wink wink, I know, can you turn it up a little? I like what they had with the running joke of him doing every job in the town is funny to you don't have to layer on, or doing his accent on top of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved him dancing aggressively at her so funny. The way he was dancing aggressively was so not how I think of somebody dancing sexually.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, awesome. Billy Leona showing them to our next segment is let's take a boat. Let's take a boat to our next segment. Race it over? Uh to how to pretend you've seen this film? This is for when you are you flew to Alaska to get a trip away some SOLIDU and uh, Mister Paxton says, yeah, you may have noticed I own every single store on this block. Mm hmmm, pretty nice, don't you think? You go, oh god, okay okay, and he goes, uh, you know, I was in spot to buy every single place on this block when I saw a movie, very inspiring film.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's about a dad.
Speaker 1: It's about a dad, A great.
Speaker 2: Dab about a Benjamin Franklin type.
Speaker 1: A genius. And I think I'll tell you a little bit about it. Now. You've probably never heard of it, little Little Diddy, not a lot I've heard of it. It's called The Proposal.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you my order in order to bankrupt mister Paxton. We're going to give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film The Proposal. Yes, mister Paxton, I've seen The Proposal.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Let me hit you with a fun fact about it. That movie is the only time in my life I have ever heard the word decopage.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: I never hear that word. Have you heard that word?
Speaker 1: I am in the crafting community.
Speaker 2: Now, so I but had you heard it before being in the crafting community or I feel like you've kind of always been part of crafting community.
Speaker 1: I think I think I've had an awareness of deco poge okay because of my mom and my sister. Yeah, I have crafting people around me. You know what else, when she's naked, I know, it's just like a short moment. But we take for granted that it just was totally fine because a woman directed it, So it was like chill, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: It was chill.
Speaker 1: There's not a lot of like, woa, wow. No, it's like an awkward situation. But yeah, and it felt normal, so I didn't even think to say it.
Speaker 2: But that, and they balance it by him also being naked. Yeah, it doesn't feel exploitative in the same in ways that other films do.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I just feel creeped out, you know, like I don't trust it, but this was just like whatever. Then it's funny when they slam into each other.
Speaker 2: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, mister Paxton, I have seen the film The Proposal. Uh fun fact, Betty White almost turned down her role in the film because it would require spending ten weeks away from her golden retriever. Oh my god, she's a real one.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she is a national treasure. Yes, mister Paxton, I've seen the film The Proposal. Ryan Reynolds's character expresses states at one point, I don't think that hijacking a boat is a proper way to express your frustration, and I disagree. I think, you know, as a wasp, sometimes you have to drive a boat in a specific way in order to communicate to your partner or others how you are feeling it is. I would rather hijack a boat than tell someone how I feel totally.
Speaker 1: I think that's really healthy. Thank you, that's really good. This is kind of interesting in terms of how Hollywood works. Yes, mister Paxton, I have seen the film The Proposal. Fun fact, Julia Roberts was the first choice for the role of Margaret, but she didn't want to take a cause of a pay cut, and Sandra Bullock took it over. The same thing happened with the movie The blind Side. Oh and she's also offered to Julia Roberts. So I guess Sandra Bullock has taken a lot of Julia Roberts. No, she's like too high, like she'll take the slightly lower paying ones. I guess I don't think of her as sort of.
Speaker 2: The oh god, no, oh, mister Paxton, stop it. I've seen The Proposal. The way that Ryan Reynolds reacts to the plane taking off with Margaret in it is the exact same way I react when the bus arrives but has too many people on it and it just pulls away instead of opening its doors to let more people on. Where he goes. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, come on. I said basically that verbatim the other night when the bus left me.
Speaker 1: It can do that.
Speaker 2: Hm, that is so crazy, It's awful.
Speaker 1: That is so funny. Remember when you got mooned? Oh my god, Okay, this I don't I can't make sense of this, but I'm gonna share it. Yes, mister Paxson, I have seen the film The Proposal, fun question mark fact. A pro wrestler. Pro wrestler Barry Ace was cast, but he was never called to start working. Where was cast? I think that means that they like booked him for this for a scene that maybe they ended up cutting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that must be it.
Speaker 1: Where would that have been? A pro wrestler? Also love that. Love that he's like, oh, I'm casting the movie and this no one ever called him. Then the movie comes out and he's.
Speaker 2: Like, cool, Well I guess I'm not in it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the movie. I was working on a movie last time this year. This time last year, I was working on reshoots of a movie. And that movie is coming out on Valentine's this year, and are you gonna see it? My name will be in the credits because it's additionals and it just seems like it's gonna be overlooked, but hopefully will be if not on IMDb or something. But yeah, oh it's gonna be so bad, guys, it's gonna be horrible. It's on Apple TV. No, it's not going to theater's mama, is straight to your little computers. And it is called the Gorge. It's the Gorge. Yeah, it's called the Gorge.
Speaker 2: Gorgina.
Speaker 1: It is called gorge. Is it like hord vibes? It like vibes, Nothing happened. It's literally just like a guy sitting in one tower and he's like, who's across me in the other tower. I'm from the west, there must be somebody else from the east. And that person from the east is a girl who saw and she's Anna Tailor Joy and she's really hard but also gets soft, and.
Speaker 2: He is the Gorge. Gorgina and the Gorge.
Speaker 1: That's what it's about.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a it's kind of like, you know, a double situation at double on Tandra double double meaning because it's about a big gorge in between these two powers. But also Anna Teller Joy is the star, so she's the Gorge. She is the Gorge.
Speaker 2: She's Gorge. Oh way.
Speaker 1: It actually makes it much more watchable if you're like the whole time you're waiting for the gorge to enter, and it's like, there.
Speaker 2: She is, there's the gorge.
Speaker 1: Oh I get the gorge.
Speaker 2: Gorgeous.
Speaker 1: What you can see of mine is anytime there are door handles actually called door pulls, the doorge, a doorge. If you see any dorges a door to the gorge in I had to like source those so like, there are certain small items you would never notice that they had to perfectly mimic when they had to do reshoots. Wow, you know, maybe maybe I touched that door handle.
Speaker 2: So oh my godsst Okay, I'm gonna watch it and just look at the doors. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: They toss.
Speaker 2: Well, oh my god, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, it's gonna be may so bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Sienna, let's let's get married. In our next segment, should you watch this or where we tell the listeners hello, if you if we think you should watch this movie or if you should do something else with your romantic life, Senna, what would you say?
Speaker 1: I want to ask you first, Leanna, what are you think?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay, I would say yes, absolutely you should watch this film and and if you are able to have a small teeny tiny, white, teeny tiny cloud fluffball of a puppy on your lap while watching it, you you must amazing. What would you say?
Speaker 1: I would say I had fun, but I don't think it's a must watch personally.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: One other Sandra Bullock movie that you could watch that my like, my sister loves this movie is While you were Sleeping?
Speaker 2: Do you know I've heard about this. I've not seen it VHS in my home.
Speaker 1: It's another one where she's like in with engaged to somebody under false pretenses, or she says she's like engaged like guys in Acoma, So that's a.
Speaker 2: Problematic interesting, but oh my god, while you were.
Speaker 1: Sleeping she gets to know a family really well, and it's like a very cute family movie. But it's also her being very hilarious. Oh that's maybe the Jacal recommendation.
Speaker 2: She's so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or Miss Congeniality. Miss Congeniality also a fun one. Leanna, what would you rate the movie the Proposal?
Speaker 2: I would give the Proposal for Kevin's out of five. Honestly, I don't know how I would feel about this film without that dog.
Speaker 1: It's a huge.
Speaker 2: I feel such warmth toward it felt because there's the dog, there's nature, and there's genuinely good acting and comedy. Yeah, obviously there are many troubling things, so it must cannot It's not perfect, but I just love it. Janna, what would you rate the film?
Speaker 1: I would give The Proposal two point two founding father hairs out of five. I thought a number of the scenes were very weird, and that would be my main critique. But the performers were very delightful and it was honestly just really fun. Like Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock, they're both like doing their thing and it was fun to watch them. So I'm glad I watched it. I had a fun time.
Speaker 2: Also, that home I think might be my dream house. It's so it is so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the Alaska.
Speaker 2: It's in Alaska. I love it.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: Well, Happy Valentine's Week, everybody, say everyone. I hope everybody's feeling loved up or enjoying their retirement.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: This has been our review of the Proposal. We are on social media at Tossed Popcorn. If you want to show us some love or show us some leg ooh Flash and Little Leg or if you want to really show us some love, you can subscribe. Subscribe to our Patreon, where we post monthly video episodes of films that are currently playing in cinemas, and join us next week when we will be watching.
Speaker 1: I gasped at the beginning of this episode with myself written here as you may have seen.
Speaker 5: The Baba do, Happy Valentine, Happy Valentine's Days, Thank you, we love you. Bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put on episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. I told you I was listening to our episode Our Valentine's the episode about we should I should remember to promote it because it was really funny.
Speaker 2: Oh the silence of the lambs so funny. Nothing screams Valentine's Day, Lambs.
Speaker 1: We killed it.
Speaker 2: It is a good episode.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Rejected from what Oh God, I don't understand how we can't get jobs in podcasting, and we have jobs in podcasting.
Speaker 1: Help us.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.