Speaker 1: I was sitting there in the room when the ping pong balls and you got to about that last ping bug ball, and you could see Ethan Purser, who was there and for representing the Guardians, like, I think he's figuring out that this could happen here.
Speaker 2: Number one overall pick, number one overall prospect in the Cleveland Guardians organization. Let's talk about Travis Bozana. It's a Baseball America Prospect profile. Scottpro On, JJ Cooper, Jeff Ponce, Jeff number one overall pick by Cleveland and they were pumped at the first pick because it's a pretty good team that ended up making it to the ALCS. So will we see Travis Bozana contributing to this team in twenty twenty five? You know, I like to hit you with the hard hitters right off the jump.
Speaker 3: I'd say, if there's one spot in that infield that seems to have a hole at this point, at least long term, it's probably second base. And I wouldn't be shocked that, you know, if Bizanna hits the way he did for three years at Oregon State early on in the minor league season this year, that you know, maybe by August. Certainly by September he'll probably see some time with the Guardians. I think when you look at the player overall, just an absolute master of his craft when it comes to hitting, and I think the work and just the work ethic sort of the stuff behind it, his understanding of who he is as a hitter. I've written about this before. He's really into the numbers. He really knows, you know, what he wants to do and the type of hitter that he wants to become. What he is is he's somebody that that pairs and sort of blends really excellent bats of ball skills with really good approach and the ability to hit for some power despite being sort of a hit tool. First player, you know is looking to pull the ball in the air consistently, you know, get his swing at a point that he can consistently backspin the ball and get the most out of his power. He knows he's not the biggest guy in the planet, and that, you know, getting into his pull side power consistently, particularly on certain types of pitches and certain pitch locations, is going to allow him to put up the most production, you know, over the course of his career. I think just a really good all round player. You know, he's not going to play shortstop, He's going to play second base. He's really solid there defensively, a really good bass steeler as well. I wouldn't say quite five tools because it's not a great arm. But you know, when we look at this player, particularly from the offensive standpoint, I think has a chance to be, you know, a multi time All Star and a big star in the middle of that order for the Guardians for years to come.
Speaker 1: The thing that I just really it just jumps out to me about Travis Bizana is I feel very comfortable, very confident that he's going to be that kind of player who just keeps getting better, who keeps refining, who keeps improving, because he is kind of a cage rat. He is one of those guys who likes to find the challenge, attack it, and get better at it. He we saw this in the last year, his last year going in his draft year, where it's like, okay, he had some things to work on he wanted and Jeff just mentioned a couple of where it's like he just gets better. He's a guy who's going to spin his offseason. I'm kind of excited to see, Okay, what has he improve that this year in the offseason, because he looks at the offseason as an opportunity to fix, improve, get better at something.
Speaker 2: For the next year.
Speaker 1: And those are the kind of guys a lot of times. I mean, it could be a balance, right, you don't want to overdo it, but those kind of guys are the ones who often can make that fourth, fifth, sixth adjustment because nowadays in baseball it is point counterpoint. You do something, then the pitchers do something else. Then you do something else, then they do something else. And he has a lot of adaptability, He has a lot of baseball aptitude. And Jeff again, like you've seen him for years now, he just keeps getting better every time you see him, doesn't he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's the big thing is you know, he wanted to add impact. You know, he went to drive line, he spent time doing that. He showed improved impact that continued to creep up the next year, you know, speed, all those sort of things. If there's an element of his game, I mean that, you know, potentially a weak point, He's somebody that's probably as well versed in that, if not more well versed than those that might be actually scouting him. You know, he knows the areas that he needs to improve in and I think just consistently has shown you know, aptitude and focus to do that.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of that just comes down, you.
Speaker 3: Know, to the makeup and the type of individual he is, just you know, a guy that wants to win, you know, sort of challenges those around him to compete for excellence every single day. And I think in that sense, you know, a lot of like the off the field sort of make up comps that we got guys like Derek Jeter, you know, Brady et cetera, those sort of upper echelon mentality type of guys, and I think that's what sets him apart and what allows him to sort of get the most out of his skills and continue to improve every offseason.
Speaker 1: The point I wanted to make on that that really kind of stands out to me is he also has the chance to be really important for baseball because it has been quite a while since we've had a great AFSE baseball player in the majors, especially hitter. You know, Dave Nielsen is probably the best ASSI that you know, hitter that we've ever seen in the major leagues. Travis Bozana has a chance to kind of potentially exceed that, and if he does, you talk about the globalization of the game, and a lot of when we talk about the globalization of the game in the past, you know, five to ten years, it's been how Japanese players who are stars, both in the US and in basically Japan, but also Asia. We've seen Korean players who are stars coming over. Obviously, there's the Dominican, there's Mexico, there's even now we're seeing some players from Colombia in addition of the Venezuelan, Panama and all that. But Australia and New Zealand, especially Australia are a big part of that as well, and Travis Bozana could kind of be the first star, truly star player that we have coming out of Australia in a while, especially as a position player, which is a little different than if you're hoping to see a pitcher pitch, especially if you're hoping to see a reliever. You hope to see Graham Lloyd coming to the game, or some of Travis Blackley, some of the pitchers that we've seen over the years coming out of Australia. So I'm really excited also to see from that standpoint what's going to mean for baseball if Travis Bizana gives us an Australian position player star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be very cool.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The other thing that makes him special is he's part of a system that produced a lottery number one overall pick, which I think is special to JJ. I know you've written about the draft lottery quite a bit, and you know the White Sox are a perfect example right now, a team that set the lost record and they're going to pick tenth because they're being punished on the opposite end of this. So this is a cool component and it's not just saying, hey, if you're as bad as possible, you get to take the top player according to your organization.
Speaker 1: The Guardians were not expected to get the number one pick. I was sitting there in the room when the ping pong balls and you got to about that last ping pong ball, and you could see Ethan hers Or, who was there and for representing the Guardians, is like, I think he's figuring out that this could happen here, and it is. It's one of those things that for them and the Reds because the Reds also picked second that year. These can be organizational changing moments when that ping pong ball just bounces the right way and you beat the odds to get a number one pick. The other thing about this is is we've talked about this is a really good Guardian system, and Jeff you mentioned like second base is kind of the one opening. The one thing I'll say about that though, is whoever you are, including if you're the number one pick them and the draft of Travis Maazana, you better grab your opportunity and take it because there's probably someone else coming trying to snatch that opportunity away from you. Because this is the team that's going to have multiple options at almost every infield and outfield position, I would say over the next couple years, especially in the infield.
Speaker 3: When you look at organizational depth, that's something that the Guardians have done a great job here, you know, over the last couple of years, and it's allowed them, you know, to spite some limitations on spending, to consistently be competitive and you know they've had to get creative with some of that, but a lot of it comes down to their ability to sort of nail picks an the domestic market and in the actual draft, as well as how well they've done internationally, where it seems like every year they got two or three guys coming out of a crop that are you know, switch hitting middle infielders with a slick glove or something like that. So they do they do have a lot of you know, organizational infield depths. So you know, for them to be able to add a number one overall pick and you know, a star college hitter on top of it, I think, you know, just further adds to the riches that they have.
Speaker 2: All Right, if you like what we're talking about here with the top prospect in the Cleveland organization, we have this for every single team. If you're missing one that you're looking back for, it's coming. They get released on a day to day, weekday basis during spring training. Let's say you're a Guardian's ven. You want to know about the rest of your division and what those top prospects look like. Go for it. We'll have videos for you available on the Baseball America YouTube channel, and we'll see on the next prospect profile. We're not gonna beat around the bush. The White Sox were the worst team basically in baseball history, so they better have some gems on the way coming to the major league organization. Let's talk about their top prospect, No Schultz at the BA prospect Profile Baseball Americas, JJ Cooper and Jeff Ponce along with me Scott Broun. JJ. Is No Schultz the next big thing for the White Sox and their rotation?
Speaker 1: He better be, because obviously he said they need a lot of help. But they do have a very nice one to two pairing here with Schultz and Hagen Smith, their number one pick last year. And Schultz really does have a chance to be special. It's you don't want to go overboard here because he's a young pitcher. We want to see if he can be durable. We want to see if he can hold up. But then you when you watch him pitch, you just over and over. It's like, this is a guy who's as good as promising as any pitching prospect in baseball right now. He's not our number one pitching prospect, but he's right in that group. And if you said, well, if you think he's so great, why is he not number one? We just want to see him throw five innings. The White Sox have been very conservative. He's very young, so they've been conservative on his workload. But because of that, he's never faced twenty batters in a pro game. He's never thrown five innings in a program. But when you watch him pitch, you can't help but think about Randy Johnson. And that's because you have this six foot nine lefty. The ball comes out of a little bit of a weird slot, makes it hard for hitters to pick it up, and he hesitate to throw that on a guy. Because I'm not saying that Noah Schultz is going to be a Hall of Famer, but when you talk to evaluators, you talk to scouts who watch him, that's the guy who keeps being brought up because there just aren't a lot of pitchers on the planet who have ever kind of looked like this, and the one who looks like this, who's a little taller. Noah Schultz is six', nine not six.' eleven but, that ball that, breaking ball you just can't help but think of the big unit when you watch, Him pitch, jeff LIKE am i going? Overboard there, or again not saying he's going to, be that but that's the kind of the memories that.
Speaker 3: He, EVOKES yeah i think when you just look at the player and just sort of what the arc, type is like what this low slot left hand or with a, humongous body, you know and humongous stuff and a big slider can potentially become kind of naturally you just go to Somebody Like.
Speaker 2: Randy JOHNSON but i.
Speaker 3: Think when you, dig into, you know under, the hood you look at. The numbers, you know it's a sinker that sits, ninety five, ninety six ninety seven miles. An hour we'll touch ninety nine to one hundred with true sink and heavy armside run kind of just see how, you know the ball comes out of, the hand. It explodes he's. Really deceptive he hides the ball, really well and as, you mentioned it's a funky arm slot that kind of plays up the horizontal movement on both the sinker and on, that slider which is really like his go. TO pitch, i think you know the pitch that when you talk About No ish schultz. The, caution yeah he throws, really hard, he's big but the conversation starts with that plus. Plus slider it's a, huge sweeper plays really well off of the arm side movement on that two. Seam fastball it's a drop down of like twelve to thirteen fourteen miles per hour in terms, of velocity but still gets a good amount of movement for the amount of velocity does generate on. That pitch and then he's got a change up, as well which is less ballyhooed than the fastball and, the slider but it's still a really, good pitch has good vertical and good velocity separation off of the fastball also runs a ton like sixteen to seventeen inches, on average which once again when you're playing that off, of that, you know two seamer at, ninety five, ninety six, ninety seven sometimes ninety nine miles an hour with all that, armside run and you're looking at a pitch in the mid eighties to high eighties with that sort of arm side movement and then a slider that moves the. Opposite direction he works in the cutter. As well it's a really interesting pitch mix and a big box and very projectable once he adds innings and sort of figures out how to get deep into starts and be more efficient with. HIS pitches i think the sky's the Limit with schultz and probably has as much upside as any arm that's on the top.
Speaker 2: One hundred, Right now.
Speaker 1: I'm now going to just point out something where he actually is Better Than. Randy johnson at this Point In randy, johnson's career coming Out of Southern Cal randy johnson was as wild as anyone you were ever going. To see this was a guy who's walking seven. Per nine this is a guy who really did you just didn't know where the ball was going. To Go noah schultz already. Throws strikes he's basically got a above average, walk ray above average control at a very. Young age now again we'll put that caveat in he hasn't shown that he can do that for five six innings because he hasn't really got. That opportunity but he throws, strikes already which often is kind of that last to do list item for these really long limb these really tall. Pitchers understandable it's like it just takes longer to get everything. Under Control noah schultz has everything under control at a very. Young age you kind of put that, all together it's really hard not to get excited about, him again just hoping that he could just keep it, to going keep. It healthy he doesn't really have a whole lot, of, like oh if he can do this a lot better other than stay healthy and work deeper, into games which we probably will get to see. This year this is the year that you really got to start getting him ready to be pitching the. Big leagues and, That, means okay it's time to take a little bit of the training wheels off and say, here's five here's six innings in the, minor league so you can, do, five six seven innings in the.
Speaker 2: Major leagues, big picture we need to do This For white. Sox, fans Okay obviously i'm going to be hard on the organization, Right now but at the, same time do, We, feel jeff like this organization is in a good spot to start getting some talented big leaguers developed into the big leagues and become. Impact players just your overall look at Where The white sox, are at because unfortunately this team can't just rack up three straight years of number. One picks that's not a thing anymore with the way the. Lottery, WORKS.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i think, you know certainly the trade Of The red sox helped to do that a. Little bit, you know adding a player Players Like kyle teel to the top of. That system they already have some young catching depth With Like edgar quero and then Of Course cory lee at the major, league LEVEL but i Think adding teal into that mix is a, huge upgrade especially from, you know both sides of, the ball where like we don't have as much Question with quero, maybe offensively but defensively there are still some question. Marks there and then you look at Somebody Like, braden montgomery who has, huge upside one of the better power bats out of a loaded college class. LAST year i think That. Helps chase mydraft is sort of a sneaky player, as well all GUYS that i think you know fit and project as major, league regulars some sooner. THAN others i think both my Draft and TiAl could potentially contribute. This year, you know you look at. The pitching Schultz Adding hagen smith in the draft, this year one of the two top arms, you know Outside Of chase earns probably, you know one of the best college lefties we've seen in a. FEW years a really good pitcher has shown a little bit already in. Spring training you know how lethal his stuff. Can be then you have a Guy Like colson montgomery who's looking to bounce back this year and, you know potentially could see a lot of Time in chicago With The. White SOX so i think there's, you know some some good. PLAYERS here i think the stars are probably more on the pitching Side With, scheltzon smith but a few big league regulars and guys that should be up in twenty twenty five and then others in twenty. Twenty six but there is. SOMETHING coming i just don't know if it's enough to potentially compete in, the division certainly enough that they could win seventy, five games which is a.
Speaker 1: Huge upgrade That's where i'm going to be like the cloud reigning on, everything here which is. Just no you look at this big league lineup and there's very few even potentially, tradeable pieces you know that you're you look at, And, say okay these are guys who you hope have a bounce back year and then you get something significant for them and trace they don't have a ton.
Speaker 2: Of those guys.
Speaker 1: Right now there are, prospects coming but it's hard, To say like if you Compare The white sox right now To the guardians who won the division last year and you said who has a better? Farm system could make a pretty strong argument For. THE guardians i Think the gardians have a. DEEPER system i Think the guardians have more, position players even though they don't Have A.
Speaker 2: Noah shultz, right now.
Speaker 1: This is an organization that it's going to be a. Long rebuild you don't get back from one of the worst records of all time in a year or probably even. TWO years i would say that the good news For The white sox is that rock bottom has, been struck but the climb from rock bottom is going to take quite.
Speaker 2: A while the only bit of Good news i'll finish with here Is For white socks to remember you're in The. Al, central generally that does give you a chance to get back into the fold a little. Bit Quicker and JJ's going to Tell me, I'm wrong but if you, compare it you play all the. OTHER questions. I understand i, understand that.
Speaker 1: And only that three. Playoff teams but and it's not because they just kept playing, each other because now the schedules are such that there's much less. Of THAT so, I mean i if you want, to say Like the tigers are in a good position to be competitive for a while Now the guardians are in a good position to be competitive for. A while Now the royals have the best player in, the division and he's locked up for basically Longer than i'll be probably doing This At. Baseball america, MAYBE not i. Hope not but that's. NOT like i don't think this is the same as, it is you, know where maybe, in, seventeen eighteen, nineteen twenty even when we thought they were in. Twenty two this is a division That the twins have been consistently that and they didn't do it, last year but they've been, pretty good and they still have a core of. YOUNG talent i think THAT the i don't think that this is necessarily as easy a path back as it was at.
Speaker 2: Other, TIMES okay i refuse TO let jj prevent at least a droplet, of OPTIMISM so i will give him some, of That and i'm going to give you. This instead this is how we'll. Finish this google the Name and i'll give you the Spelling. Ishbia ishi why because that could be the owner of, your team hopefully in the next. Several YEARS and i don't know a ton about the two brothers that also Own, the SUNS but i can tell, you this they will probably up your payroll in a big Market like chicago and make the rebuild go quicker if you're able to buy, some vets some big, time vets trade, them off and then, of course once you're getting a little, bit better sign some players up. Long term so there. You go i'm going to give you some optimism on the. Way out and thanks for checking out this prospect Profile On noah schultz And The Chicago. White sox we've got prospect profiles on the top top prospect in each organization According To baseball america if you check them out ON the ba. YouTube channel i.
Speaker 3: Almost Feel like, tigers fans, you know who have dealt with so much over the last. Decade plus it's it's almost a breadth, fresh air but sort of shocking to them.
Speaker 2: As well let's hit the top prospect In the. Tigers organization you've seen them already in. The bigs the Name Is. Jackson job It's A baseball america. Prospect Profile scott brown HERE With jj Cooper And. Jeff Ponce Jeff jackson job taking maybe even another step before we've seen much of him in the bigs yet and leading to a potential of the year conversation coming up twenty. Twenty five, your thoughts.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a matter of how many innings is he going to throw, this year how many innings is he going to throw in the, big leagues and how are?
Speaker 2: The strikes and they've been pretty.
Speaker 3: GOOD previously, i mean he's had, some WALKS but i think that his level of stuff probably induces, less swings particularly at the minor, league level than it does in, other levels particularly. The majors when we dive into, his arsenal it. Is phenomenal there are almost no pictures on earth that can do the sort of Stuff that job, can do just from a pitch, movement perspective where he gets a ton of ride in. HIS fastball i mean during spring training he's been sitting ninety seven to ninety eight on his four. Steam fastball he mixed in a two seam fastball and does a great job of killing lifts on, that pitch so it more drops or sinks, of course and has a lot of armside running comparison with the four. Seam fastball he added a power curveball as well that has a lot of two plane movement and dynamic drop at an unusual, high velocity and then a course sort of his signature cutter as well in his, change up which have been plus or better pitches for him really throughout his entire time as. A professional so it's just an outstanding. Pitch MIX and i think it's just a matter of how deep's he going to get in, the starts how efficient is he going, to be how many innings are they going to, Give him because from a matter of a, stuff perspective it's almost all world stuff that we're seeing in.
Speaker 2: This spring.
Speaker 1: The thing that stands out to me you mentioned about. THE control i have zero Worry about job's ability to. Throw strikes even last year when we saw the walk rate, go up like, you said THERE were i think that there might be. SUBSEQUENCING issues i think that sometimes he kind of mixes, pitches enough especially in, the minors where sometimes he would have counts go longer than. They should but pure, strike throwing he's never had a problem. With it even last year when the walk rate, went up he had a one of the best strike percentages in the, minor leagues sitting there sixty seven sixty eight. Percent strikes you don't really almost see anyone going much, beyond that and really you probably don't want to be too far beyond that year around the zone. Too much so far in spring training, this, year well we've seen really high. Strike percentages this is a pitcher at a very young age who manages combine exceptional stuff with really quality strike throwing. As well it's it's hard not to get over excited about IT because i think the way we wrote it up In Our prospect handbook report on him, is this if you were designing a pitcher in, the lab they would kind of look a Lot Like. Jackson job he has multiple. Plus pitches he has pitches that really kind of feed in and. Work, together well even if, you know like, you said even if that fastball may not always play as a bat misser as much as maybe you, would expect you still put it. All together and especially when we talk about when this guy's twenty four to, twenty five twenty six years old and has a little bit more experience under, his belt, watch out because this is a guy who just has, the tools who has the ingredients to be a front of.
Speaker 5: The.
Speaker 1: Rotation, ax.
Speaker 2: YEAH and i think you know that's.
Speaker 3: Well put you had brought up to, strike percentage you know when we were talking about this during handbook season and figuring out where he was going to rank inside of the top, one hundred and, YOU know i think the big conversation was is this the year of, the picture because there's so many pictures that are ranked inside the top ten of the top one hundred. This YEAR but i think part of it is just the talent level when you do have Somebody like rokisaki, come over but you also have a Picture Like jackson JOB who i think had a legitimate conversation for the number one prospect over the last, you know six seven months since we Initially Put roman anthony into that into, that spot and then, you know Of course sosaki. Took IT but i think you just look at, the stuff, you know you look at the, strike throwing you look at. The athleticism, you know he's an incredibly athletic pitcher. As well we usually don't see guys sort of check all. Those BOXES and i think it's one of the reasons that he is able to do things like add new PITCHES and i wouldn't say on the fly because he had a full, off season but add new pitches that can become, you know above average or better major league pitches within under a year and just tinkering with things and being able to make adjustments and attack lineups in all, different ways and, you know off handed batters differently than he did the. Year before it's that sort of. Interesting development and we've seen guys Like you darvish just continually. Add pitches we've seen Guys Like bryce miller do the same and have. Some success so it'll be interesting to see how this all projects out over the, next year but could be a very excit, you Know al rookie Of the year front runner sort.
Speaker 2: Of candidate i'm always looking for eighty grade media, quotes Too and jackson was able to. Accomplish that Recently said i'm done with trying to dot a. NAT's ass just here's. My stuff if you hit, it good odds are probably not love that eighty. Grade quote it was the best quote we've heard in spring. Training overall so that's what you want to hear from. Your bulldog that's a future ace quote. Right, there anyway let's go, global here The entire tigers farm system, RIGHT, now jj in, your mind how good.
Speaker 1: Is it we've been doing This At baseball america since nineteen. EIGHTY one i CAN'T say, i have but we Have A baseball america since. EIGHTY one i think this is The best tigers farm system we've had over. That, time Now the tigers have really had a pretty thin farm system a lot of, those years like this has not been, a team an organization has really kind of built from within over the last twenty. Thirty years even when there, was success it was often by bringing in talent. FROM outside a lot of The case i'd go to one. Take away, you Know justin verlander is a is a feather in. The cap there are there, are examples but especially on the position, player side it's been a lot of years where it's been. Really thin that's not the. CASE now i mean we just Talked, about joe but you Talk About, max clark you Talk about, kevin McGonagall you Talk About, bryce rainier you talk about probably the best assemblage of catching prospects or in some cases hitters who play catcher or some you know that you can think, out there this is an organization that's got kind of a wide array of some close to the big, leagues guys some further away, high up, you know, high ceiling high impact guys that, has PITCHERS and i think that really you got to look and feel very confident about their ability to. Develop pictures we've seen that they really have a. Good Plan chris fetter was our their major league pitching coach who really plays a role in this Was Our Major league coach Of the year. Last Year but jeff kind of look at it all TOGETHER and i feel like that this is an organization obviously had success made it to the playoff, last year but it does feel like They Have Cy young Winner And trek, Scooble ALSO but i feel like there's a chance that the best is still to.
Speaker 3: Come here you look over their drafts over the last couple, of years they've consistently found talent all over the, draft board which is a big part, of it a big part of why the system is ranked as highly as. It is, you know you have a combination like, You Know max Clark and kevin McGonagall that you can add to the top. Of this they've gone out and they've acquired players that had. Big upside, YOU know i think it's a pretty big win for them that they got, You know Loronzo And, trey sweeney and they were able to Then Add jack flaherty back in free agency the following.
Speaker 2: Off season so.
Speaker 3: Things have kind of gone really Well In tigers land over the last year. Or SO and i almost Feel like, tigers fans, you know who have dealt with so much over the last. Decade plus it's almost a breath of, fresh air but sort of shocking to them. As well it's a shock of the system that the organization is just really functioning at a very high level. Right NOW and, i think, you know they're sort of hitting their stride in a bunch of different areas and that's one of the reasons that the major league roster looks. Pretty good and they, also have, you know one of the best farm systems.
Speaker 2: In baseball you have to feel good about watching this entire video here if You're a. Tigers fan so that's It on detroit and their number, One Prospect, jackson, joe who, of course if all, goes right should be graduating from that status quite soon early on. This season thanks for checking this. One out if you want to learn more about top prospects, per organization we've got that for you ON the ba, YouTube channel and you can check out podcast versions as. We go division by division that. Way too Just Type baseball america into wherever you get.
Speaker 5: YOUR podcasts i think he's going to be a consistent twenty five thirty plus home. RUN guy, i mean if you see this GUY take vp when, he's healthy there's a ton of.
Speaker 2: Bat, Speed okay, Twins Fans walker jenkins is the top prospect in the organization According To. Baseball america We Have ben, badler here We Have carlos. Colaso here talk. It out this is your prospect Profile On. Walker jenkins feels like we were talking about his name and draft runnings not too, Long. Ago carlos but where are we at with him as. A prospect we're in a great spot.
Speaker 4: With him not only is he the top prospect in, THE system i think he's a favorite on the staff to maybe be the top prospect in baseball a year. From now we've got him five entering. The year he's exceptionally, well rounded he's, very young he's extremely. TOOLED up i think the only question mark maybe that we've got with a Guy Like, walker jenkins and maybe this also is just a frequent question Mark with twins Players and, twins prospects is just the. Injury questions he's a player who's dealt with injuries going back to his. Draft year the summer before his, senior spring he had a handmate injury that. Limited him this, past season he was limited by a. Hamstring injury so if we can just get him healthy and keep him on, THE field i think we're talking about a five tool player who's got above average or better tools across. The board he always stood out as one of the best pure hitters in his class at a really strong twenty twenty three high school class where he was kind of battling it Out With max clark to be the top ranked high school player in. That class and then his power was a separator for him. As well we haven't seen the raw power for him or the in game power for him so far in, pro Ball but i'm extremely confident that he's going to be a guy who has a chance to hit for thirty or more home runs down the line. As well he hits the ball. Incredibly hard he has minimized his strikeouts at a RATE that i don't EVEN think i was expecting him. TO do i thought he was going to be a plus hitter with maybe a few more strikeouts than he's shown but he makes a ton of contact against every. Pitch type he's A very, i mean his swing from the left side is one of the more aesthetically pleasing Swings that. I've seen he can run fairly well for. His size most people seem to think he's going to be a long term, corner outfielder where he has a chance to be a. PLUS defender i actually think he runs well Enough that i'd be curious to see him just continue playing. Center FIELD and i also am pretty high on. HIS arm i think he's shown a plus arm in. THE past i expect him to have an above average arm. Moving FORWARD so, I, guess ben what's your question Mark With walker jenkins outside of the injury, his issues because it's a pretty well. Rounded player, for.
Speaker 5: Me how fast can we get? HIM up, i, Mean yeah i'm. WITH you i think he checks pretty much every box you're looking for in a. YOUNG outfielder, i mean he's six, foot three, he's strong, he's, athletic powerful and it's really a great blend of power explosiveness and at the, same time like you, Were, saying carlos he makes it look so free and easy in the, batter's, Box right like sometimes you see guys who are big and strong and physical and they got kind of a stiffer swing and its, power overhead and he has some question marks about how it's going to work against more. Advanced pitching but he has a ton of adjustability to. His swing he makes a lot, Of contact he makes really good swing decisions because he. Recognizes spin he controls as it bat's. Extremely well and he does have huge. Power, too now maybe if you're just looking at the numbers on paper, last year you might not get a full sense of his power because he had a couple of, leg INJURIES and i think. THAT durability, i know twins fans don't want to have another prospect who, may have, you know history. Of injuries but, you know it's only one year. WITH him i wouldn't call him injury. Prone yet but when he was, you know he missed time last year with the, legger injuries and when he was back on, the field it seems like it it still had an impact on him in terms of his ability to really get his whole whole body in really his lower half fully into his swing to drive the ball the way that he's fully capable of when he is one hundred. Percent HEALTHY but, i mean if, everything CLICKS and i think it will, WITH him. I agree i mean, high obps thirty plus, home runs, and yeah maybe it's more right field than, center FIELD but, I agree i'd give him as much rope as possible to stay out there in. Center field and, if, not, okay fine you have maybe an above average defender in right field who can also hit in the middle of your lineup.
Speaker 4: One.
Speaker 2: Day OKAY and i know you keep mentioning obviously there's, injury concerns, you know just as much with many. Other players but it's sounding, To, me carlos like the floor is pretty high, Here, Too right sometimes we're talking about a guy who, you know might have one thing that's so off that it could prevent him from really being a solid big league regular aside, from health it would, you say it's hard to see him not being at least a regular contributor in the. Big leagues it's hard to totally project. A, superstar.
Speaker 4: YEAH yeah i. THINK so, i mean he still is, very young he still hasn't really been tested the upper levels of the miners at an, exceptional rate so we'll see what. Happens there but in terms of how we're thinking about him as, a hitter how Me and ben have described him as. A hitter we'd be very surprised if he struggled at. THOSE levels, i mean it's a chance for a double plus. Hit tool we're talking about how we're bullish on the power despite not maybe seeing the home run total in the miners, so far just knowing the ex velosites he's capable of seeing the balls that he hit as a high schooler with. WOOD bats i think the power is going. TO come i think we tend to maybe get overly critical of power output for, young players and especially for players who have the sort of physicality and bat speed in pure hitting Chops That walker. Jenkins does that power is just going to, come naturally and hopefully we can get that lower half figured out. And healthy, but yeah there's he's just going to impact the game in so. Many ways he's not a, true burner so maybe he's not going to be a huge stolen, base guy but he's going to add value on. The bases he's going to be a good defender wherever he winds up in. The OUTFIELD so i do think that there is a solid. Floor here that's why we have him. So high that's why he was so well regarded in. His class if he's not hitting, for average he's going to be taking, His walks he's going to have strength to mishit balls like they're just it's hard for me To See walker jenkins not panting out in. Some capacity i'm just super convicted in the, hitting ability in the all.
Speaker 5: Around, PROFILE yeah i really have no questions about the power. WITH him i think he's going to be a consistent twenty five thirty plus home. RUN guy, i mean if you see this GUY take vp when, he's healthy there's a ton of. Bat speed he gets the ball airborne naturally with the way his swing, Path works he's consistently on, the barrel and he has he has huge. Raw power so that's not really a question. For me and like, You, SAID scott i mean it's it's hard to talk about a floor necessarily with a player who's mostly been AT the a ball. Level already but at the, same time like it's hard to see just from a, hitting perspective what is going to go wrong with him or like what wouldn't translate what wouldn't work with him at higher levels because he is such an advanced, pure hitter with his feel for, the barrel with his ability to control as at bats and manage the. Strike zone so it's a really appealing combination of a huge upside but also again relative for, you know, a nineteen, you know twenty year. Old prospect he's only been the lower levels, balance too of floor. AS well, I mean carlos, said earlier it could be the number one prospect in baseball. NEXT year, I mean i think if he goes out and he's dominating, THIS year i think we might have him at some point the number one on one of our our mid season lists.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 2: Year wow, all right trivia question then on our, way out because this Will make twins fans appreciative for the moment what happened in twenty twenty three for the first time in our. Game's history do you guys know that kind of led to. This happening it's it's the, rule change.
Speaker 4: Oh. For, slaughtering yeah do.
Speaker 2: You know how many picks they jumped so That, the twins if you just took them almost seven eight Picks, ten yeah. Eight picks so if you just took, their record they would have been eight. Picks later they would not Have Had, walker jenkins so thank you to their. Parting agreement there.
Speaker 4: Is also a huge tear break in. That class we had five very top of the, class players so picking from five to six that year is much bigger difference than four. Or five so that's a, huge.
Speaker 2: ONE exactly i remember the big, Storyline, was wow look who jumped in and look how much of a difference, it is and it can change the future of a franchise. That Way so i'm a big fan of the draft lottery. Of, course hey for more, of these you can check them out team, by team top prospect in the organization just hit Up The baseball america YouTube channel if, you're listening if you're watching, right now and you can also check them out wherever you get. Your podcasts the.
Speaker 5: Raw powers right up there with the best hitters. IN baseball, I Mean, O'Neil Cruz. Jordan, alvarez like it's, not oh this guy has a lot, of power or this guy has seventy power on the twenty.
Speaker 2: Eighty scale, it's true top of the. Scale eighty let's hit the top prospect In the, Royals organization, jack hagleone, you're up It's A baseball america. Prospect profile let's get right. Into It, ben badler your thoughts on how he looked in spring training pretty. Damn, GOOD yeah, i mean and he.
Speaker 5: Looks good he. LOOKS phenomenal, i mean he is one of the most fascinating prospects, in, baseball right even aside just from the two way ability that he had, IN college i just mean what he does as a, position prospect because he is just so extreme in what, he. Does right it's. Extreme size he's, six' five like two hundred. And fifty pounds it's, extreme bat speed. It's extreme power we're talking about top of the. Scale bat speed the same with, the raw power and especially for somebody who is as big. As he is he's not just an all or nothing. Type hitter either where it's huge power that comes with a. Ton of strikeouts he actually made a lot of contact Last, year at florida especially when he was swinging at pitches that are in. The strike zone but that last part really his the other end of the extreme, with him too because he chases, a ton too, like a scary scary. Amount of chase AND that's. Where i Think You know nick kurtz from the, draft last year you know fourth overall Pick with with oakland is ahead of him as A prospect because kurtz has a really good understanding of. The strike zone he'll draw a, lot of walks especially as a, first base prospect to go, with his power. Which is, Important whereas cagleone i'm worried about what will, happen with him especially, against better pitchers if he continues with, this you know super aggressive swing that stuff outside the strikes and approach, that he has, AND you know i think he knows that. And understands that it's just it's hard for a first baseman to deliver a ton of value if if you're just relying on power and aren't drawing, that many walks even if he does have the ability to put the battle on the ball pretty well when it's swinging that stuff. In the zone but on, the other hand if everything, clicks for him we were talking about a player has a chance to hit forty. PLUS home runs i wouldn't be surprised if he HAD a season i know where he hit fifty. Plus home, runs he, has you know he has that type of power and also that type of feel for. For the barrel but just the fact that he's a, likely first baseman although it Sounds like maybe i'll get some exposure in a, corner outfield spot but a likely first baseman for me who's ultra aggressive beyond the strike zone with. His swing decision that's what creates the very high layer of, Risk with him but obviously the reward potential is.
Speaker 2: Sky, High too.
Speaker 4: Yeah jack is, an OUTLIER prospect and i think a lot of times these these outlier players can be really scary for. Number Of reasons but, i've, been wondering like are his outlier contact skills and outlier power enough to make up for the fact that he is so aggressive in. His swing decisions ben mentioned that he does make a lot of contact, in the zone he doesn't really strike out at. A high clip his end zone mis rate was between twelve and thirteen percent and a brief protate. You LAST year and i also think he has the sort of levers and plate coverage that he's still going to be able to do damage on pitch locations that most hitters they don't have the ability to get their hands or. The barrel there and then when you pair that with the exceptional strength that, he does have it's just a. Really dangerous, game, for pitchers like how do you attack a guy who is going to be? Swinging at everything like there's not a safe location for. You, to operate really now that maybe can cut both ways because you maybe won't have to ever attack him in the middle of his own if he's just going to. Swing and everything that's going to be the big question when we have a Full season of jack. Against pro pitchers are they going to take advantage? Of that aggression is his ability to barrel up the ball just so freakish that him having a chase rate for other prospects would be almost like we're. Not considering them the fact that he's, got the power he's got, the contact skills it makes it, a, really interesting sting kind of. Scary offensive profile i'm also intrigued to, by the defensive like if he's actually going to run around in, a corner outfield how does. HE look there i don't think he's, A great runner he's not a base clogger. By any means, AT first base i think he actually has really good tools because he's a. Big target there he has moved around well at the first base, bag at times so that piece. Will be fascinating and if he can move around. In the outfield the pressure has just taken off. The offensive profile but it was eye opening what he did. IN the spring i would expect him if and when he does get to, the major leagues he will consistently be at the very top of the leaderboard in terms of max. Exit and velocity he's already had one hundred. And fourteen plus last year, in college baseball he had the hardest hit balls we. Saw all year so it truly is.
Speaker 2: Eighty, great power okay if everything, works out right as you guys, are both mentioning there is, definitely risk here and this. Is an outlier what kind of power are? We looking, at you know the, top end here the headliner give. Me a number And, also in carlos the ballpark that he'll be playing in, in the future which also. Affects his legs, by the way if he's going to be an, OUTFIELDER there consistently.
Speaker 4: I think the i mean the comp that makes a lot of.
Speaker 2: Sense to Me It's.
Speaker 4: Actually pete alonso they went to the, same high school they went to. The Same college pete alonso has led the league. In home Runs we think jack has the sort of power to lead the league. In home runs maybe he is that same sort of like, More limited profile like he's not going to excel, on the bases he's not going to, be elite defender but he's got a, ton of power and in, his peak years he's got a chance to have forty five, Fifty HOME runs like i think. That's certainly possible like in, His peak years jack could. Lead the league i'm not sure exactly what sort of specific home run total then maybe you think he. Has in him i'm also curious if you guys can think of any recent free swinging hitters that just have the sort of skill set to. Make that work because as people who are looking at a, lot of prospects we obviously want that really. Well rounded profile we want to feel safe that there is some walk rate floor when the hits aren't. Falling for you but if there's any real free swinger that, Comes to mind i'd be curious, to hear it because you just don't see these.
Speaker 2: Profiles, very often.
Speaker 5: Yeah you don't see hitters who swing As often as kaglione does typically have success in. The major leagues we also just don't see many players on the planet who have his kind of raw power and again ability to actually put the bat to the ball when he swing at stuff. In THE zone so i imagine pitchers. Are this year they're gonna know because right exactly what the book is on him, is stay away throwing a lot of stuff out, of the zone get. Him a chase we'll see how that, works this year what his adjustments are in terms of being able to modify his approach and improve. His swing decisions but the raw powers right up there with the best. HITTERS in, Baseball I, Mean O'Neil. Cruz, jordan alvarez like, it's not oh this guy has a, lot of power or this guy has seventy power on the. Twenty eighty scal it's true top with a scale. EIGHTY raw, power i mean Maybe Aside From. John carlos stanton otherwise there's not. Really Anybody else so i'd say clearly has More power than jack cag leone because, his bat speed his ability to impact a baseball. Is, pretty jarring.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what makes. This conbo intriguing of course is the home run potential if it. All works out we know, prospects or, prospects but yeah maybe this wing decisions improve and there could be some much Needed Power in kansas city coming their way over the next. Couple of years it's been hard for them to find some. Consistent, Power bats Obviously bobby wit junior. Is a star salvy's been there, for a minute but it's not an offense that has intimidated people the, last few years even last year when they were, A playoff team so this could be a welcome edition. At some point if you want to learn more about top Prospects Per organization baseball america number, one per team we've got it up on, the YouTube channel so make sure you. Check that out