Speaker 1: Welcome to another edition of The Players Club. Man, we got a full show for y'all fellas. Yeah, man, we're gonna have our.
Speaker 2: Mid season review.
Speaker 1: Yes, we gotta preview the game against the Philadelphia Egles. Don't look at our memories against the Philadelphia Egles. We're gonna give out the doves of the first half of the season. And we got Bobby Wagner by what you call it, Bobby yellow jacket, Bobby yellow, Bobby yellow jacket, Bobby gold jacket, whatever, Wilfrid sne.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be on the show.
Speaker 1: And that's that's what we got for y'all on this next edition of The Players Club.
Speaker 3: And Malayia.
Speaker 2: The Players Club.
Speaker 1: Is presented by Pepsi, the official soft drink of the Washington Commanders, and in part by Johnson Kendall Johnson, the official insurance broker and risk management partner of the Washington Commanders. Where our passion is your protection. We're gonna do something a little different. Normally have dubs the other week, but for this show, get my give my saying out. We're gonna give dubs of the of the season, the mid season so far after ten games, team is balling. What has been your impressions of this team so far, Like who would be who would you give your dubs of.
Speaker 2: The mid season? Two?
Speaker 4: Well, for me, y'all been teaching me all year. But that Frankie levou Man.
Speaker 2: You gotta CRUs.
Speaker 4: But Frankie levou Man and I seen him in training and he's one of those guys, like you said, he come out of the locker room. He's a dude and we knew that he could play linebacker. I had no idea learning if we talked about it each week.
Speaker 2: Man, did you see that pass rush move?
Speaker 4: Did you see his effort and and what he brings to the table along with Bobby and the rest of the defense. But I think he's that he's that dude on that defense. And I've been really impressed with with him and his performance weekend and week out and when he's when he's there, Frankie lavou for me, louvu for me. On the defense side of the ball, it's been great. Are we talking about offenses as well? Or we just think whatever, Yeah, he's my guy, and then on and then and then on on the offense side of the ball. Is we can talk about you know, Jade and I want to say that for Santana, but b Rob Man b Rob his and we had him on the on the show early year and he's talking about turning it up Week two Giants hunting thirty three yards. He's that hammer catching out the backfield, doing everything we've we've asked him do. Nicked up here and there, but for the most part, man, I've been so impressed with that kid, along with others, But for me, it was be robbing the way he's been doing, the way he's been running the ball behind that good offense line and everything setting up give making people put one on one coverage for the guy on the outside to eat.
Speaker 2: But he's he was an ex fractor for me.
Speaker 3: You know, I think.
Speaker 5: It'd be obvious if I came out with an offensive guy, or you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna let you guys have y'all way with.
Speaker 5: You because you know I bring it. When I bring it, I make you really think about it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make you put on your.
Speaker 5: Thinking happens again for this one, And I got to give credit. I'm going back to coaches, going back to coaches. You know, I like to I like to give coaches some praise. It's a guy who ain't give enough credit to man.
Speaker 3: I think that is a.
Speaker 5: And what he's doing that special teams man, I mean our special teams, you know, kickoff team, kickoff return team, or a kicker.
Speaker 3: The way he's been he's being on.
Speaker 5: I mean as a core, this group is ranked in the top three right now.
Speaker 3: You know, coming into the game a.
Speaker 5: Few weeks ago, you had Pittsburgh and US ranked in the top two. You know what I mean when it comes special teams wise, So I think is it don't get enough credit for what he's he's done up to this point in the season. And that's that's the way you win championships when you have offense, defense, and special teams play on the same acord.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna get my dub.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna get my mid season dub or the season to Iszo Man. I think he's doing a tremendous job, you know, as a coach, as a special teams coach, and he got those guys flying. And I mean when you see the kickoff team, even though they had that little funky thing, they got to sit there and wait for the guy.
Speaker 2: To get the ball.
Speaker 3: When when that person get the ball and thank you.
Speaker 2: Them boys are.
Speaker 5: Smacking his They actually playing the way he played the game.
Speaker 3: So I love to see it.
Speaker 2: Man, I'll take the low hanging through since though we got we're gonna talk about this team and the.
Speaker 1: Jaydon Dallions, Man, Jay Dallions, it's you know, he's going to be really good, you know, one of the highest the trophy being drafted number two of all.
Speaker 2: For him to be playing at the level he's playing so quickly.
Speaker 4: That but that's how why we were how we know that because Bright Young won the highest you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying, I didn't think we didn't know he was Let me remind when I say we knew he was going to be good.
Speaker 2: Eventually, we knew he was gonna play. We thought we playing the high level. He's exceeded expectations.
Speaker 1: He's exceeded expectations, and it really is about the way he's going about it from day one, from the first time we interviewed it. Extremely impressed with him with the amility. We've all been around rookies who haven't accomplished, accomplished nearly as much as day that's accomplished, and they come in feeling.
Speaker 2: That title big headed. I think they know everything.
Speaker 1: This kid man, he just goes out, plays ball, lights defenses up, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's in the MVP conversation.
Speaker 1: I just Rookie the year, but the MVP conversation has his team where we're sitting right now, and I keep telling y'all, he's.
Speaker 2: Only going to get better. That's the schedule about it.
Speaker 3: Just to speaking to add a little bit, you talk about humility.
Speaker 5: The kid told us after the hell Mary, when we had them on Game Day Lives postgame show, he.
Speaker 3: Says, that's God. He's like, I got to be living right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And the reason why I wanted to say that because it's crazy you said humility. And the first thing I thought about I wear I got a tattoo when I was in high school.
Speaker 3: It's a Bible scripture.
Speaker 5: And it's crazy because my one of my daughters just got baptized. And then my oldest daughter the other day just asked me like that, what are some of the things can I pray about?
Speaker 3: How you teach me how to pray?
Speaker 5: And for her to be twenty plus, so she's twenty actually and she wants to learn how to pray. And you know, I always bothered them about that because I told him, I've been praying since I was a little boy. Like we didn't grow up in the church, but I'm always praying. I'm praying when I get up, I'm praying at night. And I was happy to hear her say she want to learn, you know, and she wanted to get closer to God. And I send her a scripture, the scripture that I got tattooed on me, and it says it's James fourteen, and it said, humble yourself before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
Speaker 3: And I told her I walk with that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: And everybody wanted the tan of why you're so soft sport while you so humble, while you take on That's been my life.
Speaker 3: I didn't try to be humble. It was born in me. It was instilling me.
Speaker 5: And as I was coming up to learn myself a little bit, I found the scripture that identify that, you know, identified with So listening to him say that about the Lord and about living right to watch him play, it's not a It's not a surprise to me why he's successful because he knows a higher power and he believes in and he's doing the right things to get itself prepared because you know, one of the things about opportunity is the preparation part of Like, if you're not gonna pare it for the opportunity, then.
Speaker 2: You're gonna fail, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So you can say everything he did up to this point, he prepared itself to have these moments, and that's why you know, you got to give it up to him.
Speaker 1: You also thinking about the another dub of the weak of who I give dub of the being seasoned?
Speaker 2: So I got to give it to.
Speaker 1: The ownership group, and the reason I give it to the ownership group. And you know, they've done a they've done a tremendous job and all the things they've added around not just here but also at the stadium and fan experience and trying to make things better. But I'll go back to the process they went through first and foremost and hiring Adam Peters. Yes, they had, they had, they had a plan, you know, Josh Harris leading that obviously, and him in the process that he went through, having bringing in Bob Myers and having Rix Bildman as guys who helped him through that process. And you know he allos other sports teams, and he knew he'd hired general managers and head coaches before and all that, but knowing that, hey, this is this is a different element. Football is different than basketball, or different than soccer, whatever the case may be. Let's bring in some other people to help me with this process and identifying Adam Peters and from there Adam Peters and ownership, hiring Dad Quinn and putting that together. And for this to come together so quickly, you have to it's ahead of schedule. There's no other their head schedule. And then what we are right now.
Speaker 4: And to that point, the trades, Yeah, the trades and some of the guys who bought and free agency. We talked about bringing Bobby early. Bobby was in that veteran leadership, uh, trading for trading for Marshaun, you know, before the deadline when we needed until we talked about what that meant for the organization and drafting j Those three, those three, those three moves along are life.
Speaker 2: The draft pick, not.
Speaker 5: Even talking about that trade, that trade with Johann Johnson.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, earlier in the season.
Speaker 5: I mean that right there was puzzling at first, but then when you look at the whole you know, picture of what they're looking for in the receiver and what they got for it was. It was basically helpful too, because you think about we.
Speaker 3: Lost the third, but that third. Having that third kind of gave us that third back.
Speaker 2: So, oh man, you're right, Cliff Kingsbury, this is all sirus. Yes, sir.
Speaker 1: You know, he was a head coach at Arizona a'm out of college with the air raid offense, and it was, you know, a different type of offense coming to the league.
Speaker 2: And Cliff, there was.
Speaker 1: A during the preseason we used to have him on like once a week we'd have the coaches. We had him on a conference call, and he talked about having these other coaches from these different backgrounds. Yep, having coach LeAnn having uh Brian Johnson, who was the offensive coordinator came from with the from Philly and kind of bring bringing that all together and creating the Washington Commander's offense and him just saying, hey, when I came to the league, all I had was my offense from Texas Tech, right, and now creating an NFL offense. Y'all surprised about how how this offense is operated and come together so quickly and being able to not just coming together but producing the way that they're.
Speaker 4: Well, you're absolutely right, because the air raid offense traditionally like doesn't have the feel of that. You know, you run a stretch play and stuff like that, but in the counters and you don't have the vertical passing the vertical passing game get the ball out. But it seems like there's a special combination of the run game pair with their past game mixing that we understand the talent that we've had in getting those guys. We got a Hammer, we got a third down back, we got Terry, we got Zach, the line, and then the run game complements the line and all whole, all whole, bringing Jayden along, and we've seen Jaden just continue to get better from each one each week. So I would say I'm surprised. But when you think about Brian, Coach Lynn and the staff, and it's the right combination because he was quarterback WI Springford, Philly, Brian was with Jalen, and Coach Lynn is a monster in the run game and Clifford is just a genius guy. So I just think it's like, like you said, dude, that's a it's a beautiful mix of personality.
Speaker 5: I won't say I'm surprised. I had no expectations. I really didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I knew.
Speaker 5: One thing that that stood out to me is when I saw Cliff in his stint as a head coach, his running game always was second to none. You got to think about it. Connor was over there killing him was he was? And so with that in mind, the first thing came to mind. That's why I was barking up the you know, telling everybody the whole year, I can't wait to see be Robbs because knowing that everybody know what we're going to do offensively with the just the air raid attack and thinking that that's how it's going to be or how it's going to look, he's going to get to that run game. It allows him to show us week in and week out how special this offense could be. And I think he spent a lot of time with the guys that he brought around.
Speaker 3: You think about it. We brought the Johnson.
Speaker 5: Coach, we brought them from Philly, you brought in and you talked about Lynn. You know, all these coaches have been in good offenses and had their role in why that offense was special, and now you bring it to here. It's a copycat league. You know, we want a lot of game aims doing things that other teams did. So I think altogether, man, it's it's a unity of coaches that's.
Speaker 3: Putting their head together.
Speaker 5: And but Cliff getting a lot of credit for and he and they're doing a damn good job.
Speaker 1: Another coach has done our standing job bringing some guys together.
Speaker 3: Joe with Jr.
Speaker 1: Hissic coordinators love love, Joe has his press conferences.
Speaker 5: He he keeps Obama, Obama the football version.
Speaker 3: Let the man talk.
Speaker 2: I want to just let him go.
Speaker 1: For him to be at a You think about how the defense was first couple of weeks, how they started off, and then how he's been able to.
Speaker 2: Take this defense to another level.
Speaker 1: Get everything he's got out that pass rush. Those guys who are like, all right, we're gonna get the pass from your boy, Frankie Louvu obviously.
Speaker 2: Uh. You know, other guys have emerged. Newton emerged, Newton Fire, the Foller has emerged, Cleveland Fair or Armstrong. You know a bunch of guys.
Speaker 1: Bobby what he blessed his and then getting the guys on the back end the communicating play a lot better.
Speaker 5: You guys both play defense, and I'm gonna just tell you my perspective of watching defenses and playing against them, it's very seldom that you see a defense that shows you who they are.
Speaker 3: And got better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shows you a completely new defense later in the season. Now, don't get me wrong, they might be a little fine tune on some of the things that they didn't do well, but you never see them just like, what the hell did that come from?
Speaker 3: Like you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: So to see these guys come out and you're like, Okay, damn what we thought we was weak at. So that's what I give a lot of credit to these guys for as a whole, because it seems to me that as much as we want to talk about these players and how well they're playing, it all stems from the coaching.
Speaker 3: It all stems from.
Speaker 5: What they building and how they created this thing, this bond of brothers and the culture that they're setting. I can just imagine I want to be a fly on the wall one day. I want to go in the room and I want to hear or see one of these coaches speaking to somebody who didn't show up in a run fit, or who didn't or who didn't go out and block a guy blocked the safety, you know as a receiver.
Speaker 3: I just want to see what he's saying to him.
Speaker 5: Because I can imagine it already that he let them know he can't win like that.
Speaker 3: You ain't being a dog right now.
Speaker 4: What I was impressed with when we and why I figured the defense would get better London.
Speaker 2: We saw in camp when we were working camp, they.
Speaker 4: Went the individual, then they went to two on two drill, you know, then seven on seven this situational you know team. But what was the first I think me and you both were impressed, Well, like man, they were really breaking the game down and teaching football, you know what I mean teaching And we was up there looking like man, look they're working on the in and out drill and man coverage. They're doing switch routes, or they're working on breaking on the heads and or they're doing this. So that was I knew at the defense with coach would eventually get get better. They would communicate more, Bobby and all the team will come together. That's freegingson do well what feelings you know.
Speaker 3: It's that time. Let's start drive time, Rive time to drive.
Speaker 5: It's time for drive Time, presented by Eastern Automotive Crew, Any car, anyway for everyone since nineteen eighty eight. This week, we're gonna talk about some of our funnest memories man, going against those Eagles. Yeah, when you see a team twice a year, you have a lot of I just hate you have a lot of memories. And it's crazy, man, to be honest with you, as much as we talk about our division, to me, I hate the other two teams more than I hate the Eagles, and the Eagles fan base is just the worst of them all.
Speaker 3: But I found some kind of love for the h.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 5: I don't hate them as much as I hate the Cowboys and the Giants.
Speaker 3: The Eagles I just like, Okay, they the Eagles I love.
Speaker 2: I love going to the Philly player because of their fans. Because I was about to go auhead and shut.
Speaker 5: Y'all up, I felt like a gladiated against I was gonna say, I'll tell you one thing.
Speaker 3: When the fan and for you fans who don't know this, when.
Speaker 5: You're booing specifically at me, I understand I'm a threat. So when I hear eighty nine they called me out, your mama.
Speaker 3: Did guess what.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: I'm a threat to you. You you can't watch me. You spending that hard earned money on watching me today. So it gets me a little. I'm gonna get you what you're looking.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you how how bad the Eagles fans are.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 1: I loved it because I just like that type of batality. First time you played the Monday night football. This is old seven. I can't hear they throwing heads at our bus, these type of It was a couple of seasons. Fast forward a couple of years later and I knocked out two of the Eagles. I knocked out the runner back of that Brive Westbrook and the crazy thing. He hit his head on my knee and he had a concussion.
Speaker 2: He was out.
Speaker 1: Then I caught uh Sean Jackson on the dig lady by the middle field. He he had he didn't finish the game. This is all in one season. But I got death threats for the Eagles.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can laugh about it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm still here, so they didn't, you know, yeah, carry it out, but it's just like, damn, because I a doctor. A couple of y'all players out there, Man, I wanted to I'm trying to.
Speaker 5: It shows you how much how much these games mean to some of these fans. Speaking of meaningful games, Man, London, you was, I believe you was calling this game in twenty twenty one when we went up there today.
Speaker 2: Night football game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was twenty twenty two, twenty one. It was a little recap, man, about the feeling what you saw that that night. I mean, you had you had an Eagles team that was riding high. They hadn't all the game. They were defeated, you know what I'm saying. They hadn't lost the game.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: We went out there with the mentality that we see from our team now, you know what I mean. These guys better than Beauty and nobody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just remembering that game, I think they were eleven and if memory sarves me correctly, I don't know what our record was, but it was the mindset of the game plan we went into that game, and if we didn't run it forty times, we ran it.
Speaker 2: Close to forty times. And I can remember all there.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was just a thing of beauty because we had been up until that point throwing the football alive, you know, trying to get the passing game going. But in that game, I was like, man, this looked like the Redskins.
Speaker 2: Right, this looked like the Hogs.
Speaker 1: I mean they just poled b Roberts running that ball all over them.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Its just it was just a physical mindset, the physicality of that ball game. It was you talk about the thing. It was a thing of beauty.
Speaker 2: Watch we had. I think we had four turnovers in that game.
Speaker 3: I remember foot and they caught it.
Speaker 1: Was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a bunch of takeaways, man, it was a bunch of It was a bunch of takeaways in that ball You.
Speaker 4: Just remember those games like, yeah, oh yeah, we went in there, A force made a.
Speaker 1: Tremendous like almost like a Willie Mays type intercept. I think it was the Willy Mays interception or somebody else, Saint Juice I think knocked the ball out that Ford's recovered. It was just, man, it was a place being matter that game.
Speaker 3: Some of your favorite Eagles matchups, Man, oh.
Speaker 4: Man, I tell you my favorite Eagle match out we had here. We played them on a Sunday night. I think I'm you know, we're talking about that later. But t O and I was matched up on t O and we were getting after him, and I remember him running.
Speaker 2: Old run about.
Speaker 3: Five played the month Sunday Night football.
Speaker 4: I hit him, popped the ball up, and then Sean hit somebody else.
Speaker 5: Knowing that we are facing these guys at their home on Thursday night.
Speaker 3: What's like playing there?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 3: I mean I remember the old what.
Speaker 5: It was called the bet Yeah, yeah, that was not like the other.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? But does this new stadium have that same kind of shot?
Speaker 2: Sean? You you had to play.
Speaker 1: In the vet when they had the little you was you? Was you by the time you got leave.
Speaker 3: When the filter.
Speaker 2: Was like this, I thought you, I thought you.
Speaker 3: I know, you know all. But guess what to we played?
Speaker 5: We played against the Owls Temple.
Speaker 1: You know that that turf was terrible, terrible, terrible I've had. I think I may have played the Eagles more than any teams teame of my career because when I was the same Lewis, we played them, played me in the NFC Championship game, played them a couple of times during the regular season.
Speaker 2: You against Andy Reid, huh yeah, Andy Reid, big flet that's mind for a big fletch.
Speaker 1: I used to get after the Eagles many I wasn't the fair favorite of probably the Eagles players and coaches because I don't believe in making friends on the on the field. I talk, I talk all the time about there was no peace treaty. I don't before a game. I'm not talking to you. I don't care if me and you grew up together from from little league when we stepped between these white no, not even we ain't even got to between the white lines.
Speaker 2: Soon you come out of tunnel, as soon as I know we're playing that week. Soon A man, we ain't. I'm not your friends. There is no communications.
Speaker 1: I don't want a small I don't want a small talk with you before the game. I don't want to exchange jersey with you after the game. You're still the enemy. Ain't no chumming it up matter I want. I'm here for blood.
Speaker 2: Tonights gonna be some blood. It's gonna be some blood.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be some I'm actually looking forward to more so now just knowing, because you know, I was skeptical about just where we was at corner wise, and I'm not saying that our corners haven't been playing good or playing up to, you know, the level that they're supposed to.
Speaker 3: But I know when you have a guy like a J.
Speaker 5: Brown and DeVonta Smith, you you need more than just one.
Speaker 4: So we got obviously Brian who was quarterback culture after Eagles and he's in stall some stuff, but he also knows that does that give an advantaged way with one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Brought up, brought that up, I forget all about that.
Speaker 5: I just mentioned him, and I forgot that having him here will give us a little keys on what they do offense the receivers. That's definitely gonna be a big help. And now that you say that, along with who we just brought in, I'm looking forward to that matchup for the measure for that standpoint only, but I just I feel like this is one of those matchups man, where even though I've heard a lot of people signing with, you know, with the Eagles, I feel like I'm happy to be on that spot. I'm happy to be in that space because I understand what we're doing here. You know what we're what we're creating here, and I think this team is gonna be more than ready man to go out there, man, and go out there.
Speaker 3: And really and have a nice showcase of some good divisional football.
Speaker 2: This is a great segue and to set the talk. Great great segue to set the talk, because we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna we're gonna actually talk about the Eagles is even more detailed.
Speaker 2: So it's time to set the tone.
Speaker 1: Brought to you by Johnson Kendo Johnson, the official insurance broker and risk management partner of the Washington Commanders, where our passion is your protection. First off, let's start with this Eagles defense man top five and total yards top ten, and passing yards top five, rush top five and rush yards allowed, tear the total points per game. They playing some defensive Remember they got a new defensive coordinator, Vic Fangio, and he's been an architect of some great defenses.
Speaker 3: He don't play.
Speaker 1: How we're gonna be able to move the ball, score, points, rush against these Eagles, we just can't.
Speaker 2: We can't brush over that.
Speaker 4: For the folks out there about Fangio, Fangio is is somebody that's a nightmare that you need to prepare for.
Speaker 1: So just to give him a little bit of background, Vic Fangil was the defensive coordinator for the forty nine ers when they went to what for NFC Championship Championship State.
Speaker 2: I mean he's he's his other other defenses as well. Yeah, he's like the father of one of the one of the old GI's, one of the ol g's.
Speaker 4: And this is this to me, will probably be the best defense we faced. Yeah, from a scheme wise and just talent wise, so, but not a defense that we can't we can't do some things to but it's gonna be one of those like, hey, for the first time we might have a defense, try to dictate some things to us. And I think all the first half of the year and the whole most of the year we've been out there is trying to say, all right, we're gonna read off of this, we're gonna run past option off this, and we're gonna go we're gonna attack you here.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: We gotta be a little bit of like like how we're gonna scheme them up a little bit.
Speaker 2: We scheme them all up.
Speaker 1: But do we have to again, I don't believe in peace treaties, man, we gotta we still got to going there.
Speaker 5: Like I hear him, talking, but no, no, no, no, when when when?
Speaker 4: When I say that, meaning like there's some defenses that do what they do and then there's fangio you don't always know what they do. That's what I mean by I said it's like first time, like everybody has been a page, Like he gonna throw some looks at you.
Speaker 2: You ain't. You definitely definitely make your heart old Jayden from a cover standpoint cover.
Speaker 5: Standpoint, And then you've got to just also compare what you've seen are already on film. I mean, they've been susceptible in all those areas where they're tough at People have scored on them, people have ran the ball on them basketball. So it's like any other defense, you just got to go out there. You haven't saw us yet, We haven't seen you yet. We watch each other on film, that's all we see. That's all we know until we get out there on the field together. Then we really know. You know what can be done and what can't be done against them. And that's what I think is gonna ball down to.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's the physicality, the physical physicality of this ball game, both sides of the ball, the two trenches, they got they got an excellent offensive line.
Speaker 2: You know, they got an excellent defense.
Speaker 1: But just looking at our our defense against their offense, having the stop of Saku Bark, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: To giants let him go to the division that is like I want to do jumping backwards on the brow you're gonna jumping.
Speaker 5: I was trying to explain it and the best way I can as a ball carrier, because I've been in a situation where you and that you and your bag so much with your moves to where the next move you didn't even expect to do it, but.
Speaker 3: It just came, and I'm like, that's incredible to have.
Speaker 5: It's almost like he wanted to spin and saw buddy, and it's like, let me jump and split. It was just man, bro, It's almost like he praised this thing that was like some matrix.
Speaker 3: Like he paused in the air.
Speaker 2: Here's the crazy thing. He had just hit somebody with.
Speaker 1: Spin gave y'all, y'all see the Nike. Uh they put the witness backwards. You ain't see the Nike. He would Yeah, I already made it a marketing there. Yeah, so they got they got him jumping backwards, and you know how I said Witness, how they used to do with the UH with the Nike logo with Lebron so they got the Witness spelled backwards like logo backwards.
Speaker 2: That's when you coach. That's when you when you but to your point where they when you see a kid can do something like that. You're talking about being in your bag and movies like that.
Speaker 4: Everybody to the ball, and we're gonna have to be relentless and our purshoot to the ball, and we're gonna have to get after that.
Speaker 5: And you gotta think just what he did for the Giants last year when the Giants was crap, you know what I mean, Like he was the reason in both of those games where we lost.
Speaker 1: The game, you know what I mean at it from the standpoint, that's why you go out. You give Marshawn Latamo, you get you get corners that can Hey, I can put more resources to stop to the sae Quon Barkley. That's why I mentioned Hey, yeah, the past defense. He brings a great element to the past defense. But also he should improve our run defense because now I can I can leave my corners out there a little bit more on the high land because I need. I need an eighth man in that box. I the safety. I need they run some RPOs. I need somebody ready to tackle Jalen Hurst if he decides to keep that ball. So it's gonna be a great great chess matchup out of a chill man, I missed them LC's battles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is one where you you know, when you you know, sometimes you get the feeling when you're going to the game. You get it before the stadium something. You're starting to get it, like you get it on Monday. You get that feeling like okay, you can just feel it in at practice, like there's some energy, and it is some energy this week for this game.
Speaker 5: I think n f C alone, I mean, just start division alone. And this is it goes for any division you ever played in. When you're playing against a team that you that you know well and they know you will it's almost like getting ready for that relative that come over on special holidays that you can't stand.
Speaker 3: Like you know how.
Speaker 5: We all did, and so it's just like damn, I gotta deal with this, you know again, and so like you you're going you're gonna have your best jokes ready for him.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have your best whatever.
Speaker 2: You know, I got a cousin. I can't stay at this joker. You took me that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bro, I'm telling you to.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, I need the therapy. I'm gonna have to sit on the conc my cousin.
Speaker 1: This is because of that. We grew up down there in the same house. So I see you more than just on the every holiday. That's something every oh man, this dude gets some damn nerds. But anyway, let's digress. Looking at this game, how would you Blue, how would you defere Deavonte Smith to day J.
Speaker 2: Brown by going out and there what we did?
Speaker 4: When when you drafter, uh, Mike Sinstril, you have Forbes, you have Saint Juice, you have a lot of more. It's one, it's just sheer talent. And two, the pre and POSTNP reads for a quarterback when they have explosive players, it's critical. I don't think people understand how much that helps guys in the back end and shore a shirtain.
Speaker 2: Look, we talk about it all the time, so elaborate on pre snap.
Speaker 4: So the pre snap look is what the quarterback sees before the ball is snap. So seeing too high safeties, he now thinks could we could be in zone, but for some for some reason, he's probably gonna see it's two half of the two guys on half of the field. Right now, we know on post snap that can go down to a single one of the safeties can cover the tight end or whatever, and we can go man. But it doesn't automatically means that we're gonna be a man and they can just line up and say I'm go right here to the backside. So I think the pre and post snap unity and how they move together and how they play, it's gonna be critical, and it's gonna be we gotta get pressure on We don't have to get pressure on you. We can cover them, but we ain't gonna cover them all day. They're gonna make some place. And but the confidence that we bring with the secondary and the guys that we got in the secondary, that's why you go. That's why we get first round corners, That's why we get guys that that is just confident playing in the slot.
Speaker 2: And that's why we wanted we didn't free.
Speaker 1: Agency anybody kind of You can think about this this matchup, who you think gotta shot in this game? Who's gonna shine it of the ball. It doesn't offensive defensively well shine.
Speaker 3: Well, you know the thing that I love what I've been seeing.
Speaker 5: When you have a quarterback like what we have, you got a receiver that's very confident, you gotta you gotta receiver that did it with twelve other guys at that same position where it wasn't coming to him. Now he has a guy that he's building a whole chemistry with and he they understand each other, the team allowing him to be vocal enough to go out there. One of the things that I knew from watching Terry go up against the Eagles, the Eagles got a pretty nice, pretty piece of talent out there at Conaback. That's what he never played well against Terry. Terry always have his numbers. So just knowing what Terry had done with other guys like Heineke and you know, Alex and all those guys for him to go out there and be productive. And I can't say it's Alex name out dare As like he's a slouch either either one of those guys wasn't that you know Alex though he wasn't himself, but he's still he was shot when he played you know that one year when he came back, but I will say what he's done so far this year, man, I'm really looking forward to seeing Terry finish this season now, just knowing that what he's built, he's only gonna get.
Speaker 3: Better with it, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is this is like scratching the surface right now, what him and Jayden Dames has built. And I know he's gonna be chopping at the bitch knowing that that boil cross the crossed away from him.
Speaker 3: I had nightmare es up. But I think he's gonna be the guy.
Speaker 5: I think offensively, he's gonna be a guy like I say, we can always say five because five is the guy, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, But he's the guy for all us.
Speaker 6: And then.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be interesting too. Man.
Speaker 5: I think I offer is the line again. You know, I'm gonna mention them because they keep rising. You know, every time we get somebody in front of them that's supposed to be world beaters, they find a way to contest you together, form that vote, run and be hard to stop. And that's what we've been seeing for some of these games.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: The only way we are productive offensively, the way we are is because of those guys up front.
Speaker 3: So you know, I'm looking for them to be stars that night Blue.
Speaker 2: Who are you thinking?
Speaker 4: Who you think they shining prime time? Man, It's gonna have to be the front getting after that Jaalen. Yeah, because as much as we talk about our guy Jalen Had, I mean he's since he's been in the league, and they had a tough stretch last year, but before I think he went on like a twelve or thirteen game win Street. So I think it's gonna have to be the guys up front. But Newton has been coming on the replacement with ja I mean, the guy's Fouler and Cleveland, all these guys gonna have.
Speaker 2: To get after him because he's the mobile quarterback.
Speaker 4: So we're almost playing a mirror image of kind of what they and and and and they're tough guys who can run and throw.
Speaker 2: Are a tough challenge for the D line, But for me, it's.
Speaker 3: The D line.
Speaker 1: I'll say the I'm gonna include the linebackers and I'm say the front seven because I think you gotta I'm taking away first and foremost, I'm taking away him, and I'm gonna force Jalen.
Speaker 2: Hurst to beat me. Now, he may be able to do that.
Speaker 1: But given picking my poison, so to speak, one dimensional, I'm making one dimension because one thing about Jalen he will give you opportunities. Yes, make interceptions on the ball and throw it up. I want to allow myself to put get pressure on the quarterback making make mistakes throwing the football. But I gotta start with stopping stopping sakuon Barkley. All right, fellas, and one of the guys who's gonna help and stop stoppingwon Barkley. It's gonna be Bobby Wagon and he's joining us later on in the show. You're listening to the Players Club in It by Pepsi.
Speaker 5: Players Club is brought to you by Bet three six y five, official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders. Bet on a range of NFL markets with Bet three sixty five app. Craft your own personalized bat slips with parlay, access thousands.
Speaker 3: Of games with live streaming. Place your bet before the match or bet during the game. It's up to you.
Speaker 5: Download the Bet three six y five app today. Age twenty one plus only, must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler, you got the.
Speaker 3: Game on Santana Moss.
Speaker 2: Who's winning?
Speaker 6: Ken Harvey? Hey, Doc, come on.
Speaker 8: In football is better with pizza from pizan on the official piece of the Washington commend Bord online now afis piece of.
Speaker 7: Dot com football season this year, and it's time to get ready. As the official ticket marketplace of the NFL, Ticketmaster's got the best way to take it to the house when it comes to being their lives. They're the safest and most convenient marketplace to score one hundred percent verified recil tickets for every Commander's game. Even if your plans get broken up, we're worse turned over. Ticketmaster gives you more flexibility to sell your seats, So get those touchdown celebrations ready and score your tickets today at ticketmaster dot Com. Slash Commanders.
Speaker 1: Pepsi zero Sugar has taken this flavor to the next level. Hey, zero Sugar cola has never tasted it's good. Well, we don't expect you to take our world for it, so we're putting it to the test.
Speaker 2: Started with me.
Speaker 1: My mouth is watering already, so I think we could skip the drum roll and get right to the main event que the fireworks. We have an official best zero sugar ever. It's delicious, it's refreshing, and it's so good you'll need to try for yourself. Trust me, Pepsi zero Sugar zero never tasted so good.
Speaker 5: Players Club is brought to you by Bet three six y five, official sports betting partner of the Washington Commanders. Bet on a range of NFL markets with Bet three sixty five app. Craft your own personalized bet slips with parlay, access thousands of games with live streaming. Place your bet before the match or bet during the game.
Speaker 3: It's up to you.
Speaker 5: Download the Bet three six y five app today. Age twenty one plus only must be physically located in Virginia. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred Gambler.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Players Club presented by Pepsi. Welcome back to the Players Club. As promised, we got future Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: Future Gold Jacket, Bobby Yello, Bobby Bobby Yellowjacket. We got Bobby Wager.
Speaker 4: This is your ice Cold Player, brought to you by Pepsi, the official soft drink of the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 2: Bobby Mann. We appreciate you. Jordan's Jay so first time.
Speaker 1: You spent the majority of your career, with all of your career out on the West Coast, played for the Seahawks for a long period of time one year in LA.
Speaker 2: Came all the way across the country to the East coast. How has it been for you?
Speaker 9: It's been good man. I think the fans have been great. There's been a lot of love. I said, I think the hardest part is like trying to watch a basketball game or trying to watch any sports at night because everything comes on at like ten thirty or midnight. So that's been the biggest judgment. Outside of that, it's been loved like DQ's made it real cool for.
Speaker 1: You've mentioned your off camera you said you're a Lakers fans fan. So you got a chance the other night to go to the game with Jade and bark Eye, one of the owners, and also Jade's mom.
Speaker 6: What was it like being was that your first that my first Worchards game?
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 2: What was that experience like?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 9: It was cool seeing everybody out there. I didn't realize how tall everybody was, you know, like everybody like seven foot like I thought. I thought Steph was like my highest sixty four. Yeah, he looked small standing next to everybody else, but uh now it was cool watching those young guys play, and they kept up with him for a little bit.
Speaker 6: But you know, Golden State showed their maturity.
Speaker 5: Speaking of you know, you just spoke about Dan a minute ago, seeing how he made everything easy. What was it like knowing that she was going to be a part of a team that structured by Dan Quinn?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 5: I remember, you know, last year seeing you in Seattle, seemed like you went back home and you was happy and comfortable.
Speaker 3: But a year later you back with a guy who meant a lot to your career.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think you know, there's a lot of similarities between how Pete kind of run it and how DQ run it. But DQ, I definitely feel over Thomas has found his voice, found how he wanted to do things, and between him and coach Norton, like they've they've made this transition smooth just because we've been around each other for a long time. I think North coach me at least I think nine out of my thirteen years, and so I've been around him for a while and DQ we've always been in touch, So it's kind of like you know, in a way coming back home with family.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I've been around it for a minute, So they know what to expect from you.
Speaker 6: They know what to expect. I know what's expect from them.
Speaker 9: The communication is fluid, like we know how to talk to one another, we know how to get each other going.
Speaker 6: So it's cool.
Speaker 4: So one of the things that when I first I first seen you in Seattle when I went back, and one of the first things, even as a rookie, the first thing everybody in the organizations talk about, like this dude gets he's a professional.
Speaker 2: Like how does that happen where you're rook in the league.
Speaker 4: What was the mentality like coming into the league that this guy's prepares, he's a professional, he studies, he does everything.
Speaker 6: Man, I just been you know, I watched the game.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 9: So when I when I first got it here as a rookie, I knew what it meant to be a rookie. Like I knew I had to like pay my dues. I knew I had to, you know, do all the running around for the vest, but also like learn from them. Like a lot of times I feel like sometimes people come in and they think they know everything right, and it's like this is a new experience. Like when I came in, I kind of considered myself like a freshman type of jail, and I had a bunch of seniors that was trying to teach me the way, and the people that grew the fastest was the ones that be quiet and learned.
Speaker 6: So I just try to do that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought up, you know, being a student of the game.
Speaker 1: And I've shared this story a couple of times about how you reached out to me on social media back when I think it was about two twenty fourteen, I was retired. You reached out to me, didn't We hadn't talked to each other prior to that, didn't know each other.
Speaker 2: You reach out to me just like, hey man, love that love it? You know, pick your brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know about the middle lineback position. I also know other people in the business world. They've told me you've contacted them like cold calls. You also contact the other former NFL linebackers.
Speaker 2: What did that?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: Self? Where with self? Where does this come from? And be like, man, you know what, let me tap into these people who are doing things that I want to do. And do it at a higher level.
Speaker 9: H Honestly, I don't know. I think maybe I got it from like Kobe or something. I think I heard read a story where Kobe would like co call people yeah, and you know, my mind said is like the worst thing you do is say no, Like, you know, if I reach out and you know, you want to show love, then I get information. If I don't, then I don't. But like you'll never know unless you ask. And so I think that's kind of where that came. I know for sure the business side came from, like stuff that I've heard Kobe do. But you know, football wise, is just like I've been a fan of the game and I know who who is great, and I know the people that played this game at a high level for a long time, and like why not try to, you know, reach out there, reach out and learn again. Like I said, the worst case is going to be like either don't respond or be like I ain't got the time. But at least at least they know I'm out there. So that's that's kind of where that came from. Just wanting to continue, you know, being a student of the game.
Speaker 5: Speaking of being a student of the game, I'm not sure if I heard right, but I think someone mentioned that you're back in school too.
Speaker 2: While you're down here.
Speaker 6: Think about that. Yeah, you and Howard, I mean, Howard, how.
Speaker 5: How was that juggling school and playing, you know, this first season here in d c Uh.
Speaker 9: It's funny because I always used to complain about having the you know, it was in college, like having the balance you know, uh, school work in football, and then I'm in the league and I volunteer to.
Speaker 6: Go you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: But it's cool. I mean, you know, a lot of it is just reading the numbers. I do that all the time. You know, it's more of a structured version of it. So that's kind how I look at it. I feel like I'm I'm good with balancing my time and and this is just like continue my learning.
Speaker 6: That's all it is. I don't think it, you know, I had.
Speaker 9: The only thing I had to get used to is like testing, you know what I mean, Like they just try to trick you know, never straightforward, you know.
Speaker 6: So outside of that has been Little.
Speaker 2: Legion and Boom.
Speaker 4: Obviously, you played on one of the greatest defenses with some status, right, so we get a lot of more and adding to defense that's getting better. Yeah, you know that was a great defense that you played on. What do you what are some of the similarities that you see with this Washington team?
Speaker 2: How we get there?
Speaker 4: How could we be like a dominant defense like Legion Boom, Because remember, y'all all were young when y'all first started.
Speaker 9: I think I think the thing that made us so special was that we were young, and so when we came into when we came into the league, like it was almost like college again.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: It was when we got done playing, done practicing, we just stayed at the stay at the facility, or we was like, hey let's go get some food or let's play the game or something. We just spent so much time together that were just connected and that connection got brought on the field. So you know, yes, brother, you know what I mean. So it's like, you know, you in Cover three and maybe you should have this and certainly like, hey go take a chance on that. Like I got your back and you're like, all right, you do that enough time to where like you ain't gotta say I just look at you. And so for me, I would say the comparison is that the connection. I think a lot of the guys here we're really connected like off the field, and I think that's what, you know, makes us believe that we can get there if we just keep going at it because we have the connection that you would need to be a good defense and so it's just really just growing on that.
Speaker 1: I had an opportunity in my career. I played with some excellent linebackers. My favorite teammate, best other linebacker I played with was to kill spikes. We're both from Buffalo together, and it would be times before the ball was snapped. Yeah we know, like this high is drawn up, but key do this. I got you, I got you back whatever. You and Frankie, y'all both came in here together this year. Y'all been out there ball and that job if you and have been able to have that build that type of chemistry where y'all y'all playing off each other. And what is it like playing playing with a guy like frank.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's exactly like that.
Speaker 9: I think one we knew each other because he used to work out in Seattle at the same spot we worked out, so we knew of each other. But then he started playing on the East Coast, so I didn't we see him as much, but then when we came here, it was just like dang, like we've always wanted to do this, Now we get to do it. And it was just again just like the open communication off the field. We'd be out there and it's like, hey, what you think. I think we can make a play.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: And it's the trust, Like you, we trust one another and we believe and we put in the work. You know, we study the film. It's not like we're just guessing, like we know what's coming. And so it's been great playing with him.
Speaker 5: One of the you know, you know one of the things I saw, you know, saw from day one. I was just going through your little bio and I was like, man, you was on that twenty twelve team that played us in the playoffs that we lost RG three.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, bring up old Yeah he's still talking about.
Speaker 5: It, but I remember you was a vocal like you was a guy that we checked on, be mindful where he at, you know what I mean. So just to know that you were young and now this is what you're thirteen You say thirteen, you're thirteen I got to play fourteen thirteen thirteen, so just to see where we was at. And I remember how I felt, I'm watching you. You don't look no different from the guys saw twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: What was that and what is that process like for you?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: How are you able to maintain you know? I guess you know your do ability to be able to go out there and.
Speaker 3: Bang what you do?
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 9: I think as you get older, you just know that like when you were younger, you might could take some breaks and you be fine. You get older, like whenever the season ends, I don't stop, I go to something else, I start working out again. Because the moment the longer you stop working out, the harder it is to get back in shape. So I just figure it's a lifestyle. I'm not getting out of shape. And between like my eating, I do a lot of yoga. I just take the time to try to take care of my body. I think that's the biggest thing is is especially now as a season gets into the holidays where you got his givings and the families.
Speaker 6: And the Christmases.
Speaker 9: A lot of times guys be like, all right, well I'm gonna spend time with my family, and they stopped doing and some of the things that they was doing. So I just be trying to be consistent, and I feel like that's that's what's helped me. I do the same things, I eat the same things all.
Speaker 4: The time, many playing at a very high level and nothing changed.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's gonna be it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I was watching so obviously I call the game.
Speaker 1: Santas Tanner does the pre and post game, and I'll go back and I might watch rewatch the game two or three times, and I'm looking at you and I'm like, damn, you make some plays like how the hell did he slip that lineman and make this tackle?
Speaker 2: Like I'm look, you look like you out a position, like you're not gonna be able to do it. I'm marvel at you, man, And I know I know you you dipping at my butt on some of my records, Like I'm trying you know when. I like that because that'll keep me relevant.
Speaker 6: Come on, man, and I make sure I do my part. Yeah, I appreciate it that.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you coming on and joining us. We have all our guests signing this football fors man. If you wouldn't mind doing that, man, we can't wait to see you can see what the rest of the season brings for not just you, but this team as a whole. We got him walking many all right, So.
Speaker 2: That'll do it. Another dish at the Players Club. See you next week, same time.
Speaker 1: Want more great Commander's Podcast, We have a full slate for you. Every day of the week, Mondays myself and Brown Weinstein. I'm breaking down the game on Booth Review, and you won't want to miss Fredz Smooth and Michael Jenkins Tuesdays on the Get Loud podcast and Wednesdays, our guys Logan Paulsa Satanamas and Fredz Food are talking all things Commanders Football. Check them out on The Commander's YouTube page or subscribe wherever you get your podcast. Head over to the Commander's YouTube page to see the full episode.