Speaker 1: Bushkin. Hey everybody, it's me W Cambell. Welcome back to my podcast, Who's with Me? Episode twelve, featuring today's guest open Mike Eagle, rapper and Twitch streamer and good talker. I really admire people who know how to keep the ball up in the air. Mike streams on Twitch. You'll follow him on Twitch. I don't know what that is. I mean, I know what it is, but I don't know how to follow people there. But he's really good at keeping the ball up in the air. This is a great conversation. You might notice that I'm sort of excited at the beginning because I hadn't really had a conversation with Mike before.
Speaker 2: I know, he said a lot.
Speaker 1: But Mike and somebody I have just sort of known perfetly through the years and always admired him. And also whenever I'm around black men who I feel like we have sort of a common background, don't you know. I have not been around a ton of those types of black dudes in my life, I mean more as an adult. But whenever I'm around black dudes are I'm like, oh, yeah, you kind of grew up like me not to be in my group. The same way, but we do have some common similarities In there, I get a little bit too excited. So I was a little bit too excited in this episode at someone. I had to be like, calm down, Jamal. Jamal's what I call myself when I'm criticizing myself. Nothing, there's anything wrong with the name Jamal. I've really gone off the track. Anyway, Before we get too deep into this stand up comedy dates, I'm gonna do this off top of my head September twenty fifth and twenty six in Stamford, Connecticut at the New York Comedy Club. October first at Stanford University at the Stanford Memorial Theater, and then November thirteenth in Bellingham, Washington at the Mount Baker Theater. Get your tickets at wcmal Bell dot com or Google however you want to do it. Tickets still available. Please get your tickets so I can still keep doing stand up comedy. Also hoping that people who listen to the podcast also comes to me do stand up. Maybe there's new people who were just meeting me through this comes to me, you stand up. I hope that's true. So here's the thing. Everybody my opinions sometimes get me into a little bit of a Internet controversy, as to say hot water.
Speaker 2: It's not real hot water, it's just Internet controversy.
Speaker 1: And you know, some of the stuff has happened through the podcast, also through my substack, which is also named pos with Me, you know, or just sometimes I get you know, my opinions are what I do gets me a lot of extra attention, Like through the podcast. That Ted Danson interview that was the second episode got a lot of attention, which means I had a lot of people on my ig and my Instagram at w Combbell with a lot of opinions about ted Danson apologizing for blackface.
Speaker 2: So I, you know, stand by that episode.
Speaker 1: But then also sort of around that same time, I mean we've talked about a lot of the podcast, just a lot of like uh, Kevin Hart Roast talk that sort of just as we were recording the episodes that was out in the out in the world. Then I wrote a big substack about it. I declared that the Roast was dead, and I just didn't know that that was a big deal, but people maybe because I'm a comedian, but you know, as many people pointed out Michael Harriet, the great Michael Harriet, who you can also find on substack and also out in the world, point out that ross aren't really a significant part of stand up comedy. They're just a thing that happens. But somehow stand up comedians who do rosa acted like it's a part of the tradition that we need. And so that got me into a lot of like hot water with the Rogan sphere, the comedians and the and the people who are fans of that. I mean again, not hot water, because I stand by what I said, so the water doesn't feel that hot.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: Look, I just thought it wasn't a good look for Nate Barghetzi to be at the UFC event on the White House lawn. I didn't think it was a good look for anybody. But you know, it was my choice to talk about Nate Barghesti, who's a comedian who, like I think I've met him once or twice.
Speaker 2: No, I know I've met him once or twice.
Speaker 1: And again, it's not even about me criticizing him a little bit. It's about that, but it's also just about, hey man, that's not a good look, even if you are if you're trying to sell you know, arenas what you are and you're trying to open amusement parks.
Speaker 2: Maybe you don't do that.
Speaker 1: But people really took that to heart, and I don't know, I felt like I turned on comedy. I've heard, you know, I've heard some comedians we're not happy about me. Actually stumbled across one the other day on Instagram. Who's like calling Nate Barghetti a fascist is like calling w com Out Bell a comedian. And I just thought, ah, you need better writers. Yeah, I am a comedian, and we come in all shapes and sizes and flavors. And I'm very clear of the tradition of comedy. I walk in and just because your comedian does't mean you're funny to everybody. That's not That's just how it works. So I'm not here trying to like act like I don't think it's comedy is about just about how many tickets you sell, you know, uh, And it'll be clear, do whatever kind of comedy you want to do.
Speaker 2: It's just, you know, and I have opinions about it. Anyway.
Speaker 1: People had feeling especially again comics had feelings about it.
Speaker 2: And then Leslie Jones was on the podcast.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago, and man, we put out a clip that episode where she was really just she was talking about Ghostbusters, but then she started preaching about why are you so upset that women are in a Ghostbusters movie? And then it went to don't you think writers want their writings to be reinterpreted? Like Shakespeare and Charles Dickens, And then it ended on God created a little bit of everything, so we should just be prepared for whatever the world has for us. And it was just beautiful. It was a beautiful, like inspiring, well put together rant that also just felt like, like I said, it felt like she was preaching. And man, so many people we posted that thing up on ig Ig seems to be the new hub of the trolls.
Speaker 2: I think they all left Twitter because Twitter got boring, so they've.
Speaker 1: Sort of moved to ig a little bit to threads too, But so many internet trolls were just like Ghostbusters was bad, the all women Ghostbusters was bad. And some people were like it was like treated the original Ghostbuster movies like it was somehow a sacred text, like it was like she had somehow like she had her and the women who are in Ghostbusters that somehow like mess with one of the sacred texts of humanity. And you know, my favorite response to someone's like, you know, Ghostbusters two sucked, right, Like we all think that Ghostbusters too with the dudes was not a good movie, Like it has the Bobby Brown song, but that's about it.
Speaker 2: So like and and here's the other part.
Speaker 1: It was. My ig comvers section was also flooded with people who were like, oh my god, the Ghostbusters all women. Ghostbusters is my favorite, because of course, because that's how it works. Parents were like I showed it to my daughter, or people were like, I never got into the original. Because of course people liked it. Just because the movie again didn't make a ton of money and I don't know how much money made or wasn't a critical hit doesn't mean people are gonna like, aren't gonna like love it or like it like it's so funny. I'm old now to see things go from like eh to like oh, like I hate to tell you all this, but like lots of things I've seen in my life go from like ah to like, oh we like that now, nostalgia we like that, or oh we've had a chance to sit with this and we like it.
Speaker 2: That's the whole idea behind a cult movie.
Speaker 1: It's a movie that like, originally was ignored and then people really found value it and we all understand that when it's our cult movie. You know, they just made shout out to the Waynes brother Jes just made another scary movie. And those those first scary movies, they weren't like monster, huge mega hits. It's just the people who liked them liked them, and they were never really reviewed all that well.
Speaker 2: And this is not me, this is about how things are reviewed.
Speaker 1: And guess what. Eventually, some people are like, we want another scary movie, and the waves were like, would you like another scary movie? And they're like, yeah, we would, and they made another one and it was It's made over one hundred million dollars, and guess what, it still didn't get great reviews everywhere. Just because the culture has scare culls doesn't like something doesn't mean that that are there are people who like it. And I think you see it with black stuff all the time. You see it with anything that's not appealing to straight white men, you know. And so the all women Ghostbusters just also came out at a time when the alt right internet that later became the Manisphere, and Maga was really starting to like feel itself. So like the ben Shapiros and the mileu Ianopolises really were like felt like they finally were being black, see what would happen?
Speaker 2: They were feeling themselves well, so.
Speaker 1: They were being u astro tarrifted by billionaires so they could take a lot of space on the internet. They were really feeling themselves really, and so Miley the Anapolis made it his point to like take down Leslie specifically, like of course, because she was the one black person in the movie The Black Woman, and really like like like she was doxed, she was harassed, and there's a version of Leslie Jones that never recovers from that, because that happens to people when you go through some shit on the you know, through in the public eye, where you just are you are, You're never the same. But the thing you could see from my interview with Leslie Jones that she is just as loud and proud and abuliant. I think I'm saying that, well, can somebody let me know abuliant as she ever was? And she's not tripping. But it was so funny to me that there's just an aspect of kind of person mostly dudes who just want to argue on the thing they care about, not about like it's okay that a woman to go expressors exist, it's about I didn't like it. Okay, a lot of people did, but I didn't like it. Okay, a lot of people did, but I didn't like it. Years ago, I remember this was when the Vagina Monologues was big. I went to see like a production of Vagina Monologues with my then girlfriend future wife, and afterwards, I remember she asked me my opinion and I was like, I don't know that I'm supposed to have And at the time, I don't think I phrased it well, but what I was really saying was like, I don't think that was for me, and I'm okay with that, Like because I felt like I don't know what I would say about it. It wouldn't sound like I was somehow trying to push the Vagina logs through my man brain and make it make sense in a way that it's like, I don't think that that was written for me to understand it, And that's fine, that's fine.
Speaker 2: You see it in music all the time.
Speaker 1: I remember I used to be a young person who's like, pop music is bad, boy bands are bad just because they weren't the music I liked, And you realize, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Let people enjoy their.
Speaker 1: Thing unless you have something to say, like something to say about like I don't like how Justin Timberlake treated Janet Jackson after the super Bowl, and he also happens to be in a boy band, but not like just I don't like that whole thing. So men get caught up in their opinions, and then they want to share their opinions. And so I ended up fighting the comments slot on ig go to my itg at Wombell, not fighting, but just really like making it clear that like I'm not gonna hear I'm not gonna let you just do that. So anyway, having said that, I also spend more time on the comments on YouTube. I'm reading them, but I'm not engaging because I just I've been I've spent so much in my life being a lurker on YouTube that it's hard to like actually leave comments.
Speaker 2: But I'll start leaving comments on these videos. I make that.
Speaker 1: I claim that today, So look for me in the comments on the YouTube videos. Also, I can subscribe and hype do all the things and uh next my conversation with open Mic Eagle. I just like to do it a lot, and I enjoyed talking to him. Hope to talk to him some more. We talked a little bit about how he came and saw Fishbone with me in La when they performed at the Garami Museum.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Fishbone, Fishbone.
Speaker 1: But that was the most we'd ever really hung out, although he does remind me that I did his podcast at one point, which I was like, I'd totally forgotten about, because the we'll talk about why've forgotten about? Nothing against him, just about mostly against where I was in my life at that point. He is always on tour. You can check him out his I didn't notice. He has a new album coming out. His last album that is out now, called Neighborhood Gods Unlimited is out right now, and then his next album, which releases very shortly after you hear this, is called Doomed and it releases on August thirteenth. So yeah, great to have open Mic Eagle on. You can see at the beginning I like him so much, I'm actually acting weird, so I settled down eventually, But yeah, shout out to Open My Eagle. Also check out his podcast with Anna Marie Cox called Past Do. Check him out on Twitch. He's on social media. He's on YouTube. Check him out here. If you're on YouTube, he posts things on YouTube where he just talks about things in the culture's interested in.
Speaker 2: He's just a one stop shop and he's great anyway. Enjoy.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks for watching an episode of Who's with Me. If you're on YouTube, please like and subscribe, share, hit the hype button. I hear it makes all the difference. Please like, subscribe, share, hit the hype button. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you I'm five ten. Really, people you carry yourself taller than that.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good. That's the years of practice. Yeah, maybe they got a big old I.
Speaker 2: Was definitely like this.
Speaker 1: I think also people carry themselves taller and shorter. That has nothing to do with their height. Yeah, because I will literally people have known for years will not see me for a little while, and I will see them like, man, come on, when'd you get so tall? Like you're still growing? Yeah, I think it's just like I don't walk around like you don't. People on top of the head a lot. Now you should probably do it. Like once a year, just to let people. Don't lift people up and go look at you down there, look at you, hey, Tom Cruise, put me down. It's not the way you get Movie roles haven't done any of the Mission Impossible movies because I picked him up the first time I met him. Uh yeah, so I think. But anyway, so anyway, the first thing I want to say is you are You're not as tall as I thought you were. Okay, well I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm going to be spending the rest of our conversation processing that.
Speaker 1: It makes me feel so many ways. It once all right for real though, thank you for doing this, Thank you for having me. No, I appreciate thank you for.
Speaker 4: Being willing to talk to people less famous than Ted Dancing. That's really nice to you. You don't have to do that. You could be Ted dancing.
Speaker 1: Or that's the bar, that's the bar. Good. Yeah, I appreciate it. Yeah, well, well I appreciate you appreciating that. I have to say, it's not exactly what I thought about this, like what's the bar? But I do like thinking that, like it's it is it between you two? Well, I don't.
Speaker 4: I would not like to think of myself as the low bar.
Speaker 1: No, You're not the low bar. So then I'm just saying that's the bar. I'm not saying. Yeah, No, I will go lower than you. I promise over the course of this podcast, I will go much lower than Mike. I think I really love it if we change the subject. Really cool, Do you do that? No? I do actually want to start this with start every episode giving people their flowers. Oh I like flowers, so let's do that, because what we just did was not that. So that's not what I meant to do. It's just I get caught up in things. I so I don't remember. I know we met around the time I was on Totally Biased, that I visited you in the office while you guys were in production.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't remember it because I was crazy then.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It was a wild time. Yeah, it was a wild time. I think I was friends with a lot of people on your staff at that time too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think I can think also the connection game through Hannibal maybe probably.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, why can't I remember her name right now? But she was a writer on your show who I was working a lot with in LA at the time, Eliza Skinner. Yes, yes, Yeah, shout out to Eliza Skinner, She's yeah, I believe she was very instrumental in mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, I remember like at the time being like, oh, that guy's he seems good, and my whole thing was like, how do I make the show better? Can that guy be on the show, but then never being able to grab all the pieces.
Speaker 4: You want to You had a lot you were trying to do. I think this was right after it went like five nights a week or something, so it was nutty in there. I remember it was nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It is a defining part of my life of like, I don't ever want to do show biz like that again. I understand.
Speaker 4: I also, so shortly after you had that show, I had my show, The New Negroes, which is another experience that I don't want to have another one like that again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this brings me Pier two flowers. There's a way in which I see you out in the world very fiercely doing what you want to do the way you want to do it. And I know, and I think I told you this, I think I did it. But like when I would and saw you live open for clipping recently in Berkeley, and I was telling my wife, and she wasn't familiar with your music, and I was like, do you remember what I told you? I said to her, I do remember what you said?
Speaker 4: You said, He's like, if he's like me, if I wrapped talking about yourself.
Speaker 1: I mean as a way to sort of communicate what kind of wrap she was getting into, that's a really smart way to do it. Yeah, I mean it's you know, even whether it's true or not, it certainly she was like, Okay, I get it. And then I don't think I would be like you if I was a rapper, but I do think that I would be taking an alternate path. Like yeah, so it wasn't about how you did, it was about that's the path you take. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's about the spirit of the thing. Yeah, yeah, you know, I think I think we approached things with a similar spirit.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so I really having seen you since Toty biased and having seen you just clearly like I'm over here. Think about that, like I'm over here, I know everything. No, there's a lot over there, so much over There's so much over there. It's like they're having so much fun.
Speaker 2: They claim to have a lot of fun over there.
Speaker 1: There's lots, but I'm over here, and I know being a person who's also over here. You know, I live in Oakland, which is even more like I'm over here, which is a version of ib over here because I'm not in LA or New York, but just the idea of like how how hard that is to always be over there, but also ultimately there's satisfaction in being over there because you're very clear where you're supposed to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And what I find about myself is, you know, I live in LA, but I'm still over there. Exactly when I go to New York, I'm still over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: So it's like it's it's it's a it's a sort of spiritual geography that I take with me kind of wherever I go. And you know, I might be at a party with a bunch of people who are not over there, but even when I'm over there, yeah, I'm over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even at that party, you're probably in the room at that party that's the over there room. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, I think I am the room in there.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I think I was born over there, and so I sort of knew from a early age. I can't get I can't get there. I'm over you know, I can't get here. I'm mixing up the metaphors. But yeah, but anyway, I knew that there was a place where everybody was coagulating and assembling and I maybe get close, but I knew that I don't belong with those people. Not that I can't enjoy myself sometimes, not that I don't enjoy some of what comes out of that, but like you know, I was very aware that, like that's not for me, and so early on I was like, so I got to stop even pretending like I'm going that way.
Speaker 2: You know, was it the same for you or were you?
Speaker 1: Were you with all the people and then you left or were you always like the outside the party?
Speaker 4: I was with all of the people because there was a point in my life where the people is all I knew. So I knew, I knew how to speak people, so so I could move around, okay, But I always felt a little off right. It was really It wasn't really until I discovered like the underground hip hop community in Chicago, like the dudes who was breakdancing, graffiti and DJing and freestyle. And when I found this group of people and I found the the real meritocracy of that too. It was like, Oh, I can just be over here with people who like music that I like, and if I practice and apply myself to getting good at these weird activities that we all seem to love doing, then I got a little thing for myself and I can feel I can build a sense of selfhood based on my accomplishments and my dedication to these arts. And that's when my my over thereness felt really complete.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it sounds like you weren't kid who grew up saying I Am going to grow up and be a rapper.
Speaker 4: No, Okay, I was. I used to be kind of scared of rap music when I was a little kid.
Speaker 1: I mean, so I'm a little bit older than you, so I have I have the entire like rap from like the no rap, a little bit of rap, a few rap, you know what I mean. So I had the whole soul, so I can understand. I was born and was around yeah see yeah, no, I was. I'm like seven years older than you. So I remember like the radio and being like I said hip hop and I was like, wait, what did he say? A hip hop? Heady to the heavy to hip hop? Is that what he that seems different? You know, Like I remember that moment when that was like a like a like a sea change, and I remember like, oh, Curtis Plow was fun and run DMC is fun. And then slowly but surely I was, I was. I was thinking about this as I was going to talk to you, Like I remember when rap was a fad, and when rap was like rap is for for musicians who don't know how to sing. That was a famous Like a lot of people still feel that way. Sure, I think they're probably they're they're not. They're not They're not at either party. They're the manisphere. But like, so what, so talk about your version of what you when you grew up.
Speaker 4: So the first rap song I ever heard in my life, I got in the car with my mom and she was playing easy so I had to I couldn't have been older than eight. That was seven or eight years ye, that's late eighties. Yeah, and I guess I must have heard some rap, but like, this is the first time I remember like listening to what a rapper was saying and I was so confused, Yeah, because it was like he's saying these words, am.
Speaker 1: I supposed to be hearing these words, Why is my mother playing this?
Speaker 2: Is this a test?
Speaker 4: Like, I no no way to wrap my head around it. And he sounded so interesting to me. He sounded like a little cartoon character talking about doing violent crimes. It really was something and the theater of the mind that started happening. I was like, Wow, this is really something else.
Speaker 1: And then.
Speaker 4: I have an older step sibling who was four or five years older than me but a huge hip hop head, so coming and spending summers with her, coming to visit. My dad just just had every tape you could think of, had everything.
Speaker 1: And so this is eighty seven, eighty eight, I mean this is still like there's still debate about is rap a real thing? What we're like ello cool j.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we're into slick Rick, Rockham, Big Daddy Kane, Like that's the stuff that's really popping at the time. You know, bismarcky is uh is big, and n w A is huge public enemy. So like that's the world around me. And I found a lot of it really scary. Like I like slick Rick, I like Kwame, you know, like that was cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I liked the little.
Speaker 4: Story raps and all that stuff, but even slick Rick, slick Rick used to say some disgusting things grabs with spears and Indian drums. What what to put that visual in my mind?
Speaker 2: I was not years old.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: The one thing I know from that story is we had different momsh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did not have I had a very different type of mom than most people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And when she's playing easy in the car, is she like, oh, is there any awareness in her mind? Is like this he shouldn't be hearing this and none, just just I want to hear this song. I want to hear the song in the Nissan. Yeah. And if he needs to go to school, so these things will happen simultaneous, yes, without Nia's second thought.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So that's interesting because again, sort of just to talk about By the time NWA comes around, I'm very clear that like, I like rap music, but it's not speaking to me. I'm not I don't have anything against it, especially because I feel like, and I would love to hear your talk about this because you were still young.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure you've looked back in this time.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing arrested development and concert like I remember diggable planets to be like, oh I like this this version, and then at some point the Red Company said that's enough of that. Well I think about that a lot. Like so I felt like there was rap that I was responding to, and the and the main streets like we don't like the.
Speaker 2: Fact that come out like this wrap.
Speaker 1: No, that's not what happened. It wasn't okay, everything's not about you.
Speaker 2: It was a very personal attack.
Speaker 4: But so I had that awakening when I first heard you know, Tribe, Yeah, I mean know like Dita Apple Bom was big. Seeing a video for Buddy from Day last, so that was huge. It's like all of these.
Speaker 1: Afrocentric clothing wearing people. It seemed to be really like getting along and having fun and quirky, yeah, like weird, and they were putting that forward in a way that like when I first heard that music and saw that esthetic in that atmosphere, that was the first time I felt like I had a seat at the table. So by the time I'm getting into rap as a as a teenager, I feel like I'm fruit from that tree. I'm fruit from the native tongue's tree.
Speaker 4: So tried Daylight. Leaders of the New school like that whole energy. And so what ended up happening, though, is that those of us who were over there, and especially those of us who like me, discovered wrap and breaking graffiti DJ, and around the time when we were laid into our high school years, a thing called the Internet happened.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 4: There became yeah, you got it, it's very important, it's very important. There became this this easy way to get music. I remember we were crate diggers. We used to go to the dusty record shops and try to find the second hand But all of a sudden, wait a minute, you mean there's this application I can put on And I don't have a personal computer, but I know one guy, one guy in the dorn does. Under one guy, he wasn't afraid to have his hard drive compromise with all of this potentially virus filled music. So the reason that there used to beat music that we liked was that there were enough of us buying that music that the major labels were able to put a line in the budget to make this alternative bohemian rap music and give them big videos and put them in Tower Records next to everything else. But we were the first ones to stop buying and when we stopped buying it, that whole thing collapse and it no longer it was no longer a good idea for the record labels to have that because we weren't paying for it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've heard those stories about like about like trib Call Quests first album went platinum on the streets but not in the record stores, like leg yeah, yeah, I guess, yeah, there was a legacy of that anyway. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that there was like everybody had that album, but not everybody got it from going to the record store. You know what.
Speaker 4: That makes a lot of sense. And again, you know, when you're speaking to a particular population that is not always the best about following the rules.
Speaker 1: Well also has been like it's like feels like the rules aren't for them anyway, you know.
Speaker 4: But that's sort of how we don't understand our own place in the economy by following that logic that way. And I you know, and I'm it's guilty as anyone else. It's just that when I got into the business of it, Oh now I can kind of see it, like, oh right, like if me and my friends had kept paying for those you know, the Daylight sol albums that came out after stakes was high, then maybe we're in a different place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm so loath to blame us.
Speaker 4: I just you know, I the way that my mind is operating lately is that most of the boogeymen are just you know, capitalism and a cheap Scooby Doo villain suit. Yes, so so you know, looking at it through that lens, it's like, oh, yeah, okay, our money comes out, we stop having the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it is. I agree, that's how the ultimate villain. I used that with United Shades, like, no matter what issue we were covering, racism, it just just rights, immigration, rights at the border. The ultimate villain was capitalist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was American capitalist usually.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. So you said, like you said, you didn't grow up on Sally want to be a rapper. But then you're like hanging out in the scene and be like, oh I think I could actually be a do something in the scene and creating the scene. Are you always headed down?
Speaker 2: You know? And I please, I want to know what you call what you do?
Speaker 1: You know, I called it art wrap in twenty ten and I still get asked about that all the time. It was in the it's in the it's in the DOSSI And I was like, is that really? I mean, I don't know, sure, baby, but I know I didn't say it for it. I would ask you.
Speaker 4: I know, my first album it's called Unapologetic art Rap.
Speaker 1: So you did to yourself?
Speaker 2: I did? I did you put it in the system?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 4: But you know that was a different time. It felt necessary to say something like that at that time.
Speaker 1: Well sure, it's like it's yeah, it's like the idea of like there's a time where I was calling myself a blurred every ten minutes. You actually around time totally bias. When somebody called me a blurred, I was like, oh, is that what I am? Right, I'm glad there's a name for it.
Speaker 4: Right before, there are important. I feel like they're important for the marketplace, important to have distinctions. So you know, I went with that because I feel like, you know.
Speaker 1: Rockets to have all these different sub genres. I really agree with what you're saying, Like, yeah, like that it is helpful to the marketplace, and it's helpful to the consumer. You know, what am I going to?
Speaker 2: What am I? Where do I look for it? Where's my section?
Speaker 1: Right? Like the people like me and you who would have been looking for the Diggaboo Planets record, Like it would be nice if there was a separate Bend Nerds.
Speaker 4: Now, I feel like the distinction, like Indy seems cool because Indye speaks to both the economics of it and my.
Speaker 1: The fact I don't have to answer to anybody really creatively. I feel like, so Indy feels good.
Speaker 4: It doesn't feel quite specific enough, yeah, but it feels like it's on the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's like I mean, it's sort of in that sense like punk rock covers a lot of different sort of like sounds in that genre of music that you can get the clash which has some very like pop forward music, but the ethos is punk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I get that indie rap. So were you always on an indie rap path or was there are there polaroids of you, like you know.
Speaker 2: Where you were?
Speaker 1: Like, No, I never had a doukie rope like where you're like, this is what we do? You know? No, man, you were always in the indie rap path. I mean when when we say you know about you or about me, that I always knew I was over there, Like that's really what I mean, Like there was never a thought in my mind of doing anything even close to mainstream. It just has never been interesting to me, and I don't I don't think I'm wired in a way where i'd be.
Speaker 4: Even if I really tried really hard, I think it would be difficult for me to make a mass market product.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's that's hard. It's like, you could give me the pieces to make a mask mark you get like it's like legos. You could give me the pieces, you give me instructions. It's not gonna look like gonna look like that.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna look the gonna be on the bottom, you know what I'm saying, It's gonna have some jelly smeared on it or something.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's just not gonna and and accepting that, I think, especially when you're there's something scared about, especially a black person, when you accept that, cause it's like you're just getting in, You're putting yourself in a smaller and smaller corner that you know as a white person. Oh you're the quirky white you know what I mean. There's just like, oh, that's a whole we can market to that, you know what I mean? Like like there's a whole there's a whole genre like what you're Wes Anderson, right, oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, well we just got out here, you know, over here with that. But it was a black person. Especially when I was coming up.
Speaker 1: I always say that the thing that you had, which I'm gonna look into the internet, I was very aware that, like, if I had only had the Internet, I thought I was the only one on the planet.
Speaker 2: I thought I was the like I would go to And we've talked.
Speaker 1: About this, because you came to the Fishbone show that I got to moderate the thing, and I would know the Fishbone concert there'd be more black people on stage than in the in the in the play, in the theater, and you'd see another black guy cross the room and there'd be that moment and I wonder if you've had this where you're like, is he my best friend? Or do I have to fight it? You know what's funny. You know my favorite band is they might be giants?
Speaker 2: Yes, you made that clear at the show, the Clippic Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh god, I did. I thought that was great. Oh man, it was for for the people who are watching this every you said for somehow you had that they might be giants stuck in your head somehow, I can't remember how we got to this moment, came out and said, well, this is this is what happened because every show on that tour, and this was legitimate. I had created a set, but I could not decide on the first song. So I was letting the crowd in each show just like, you know, yell something you like that I do, and I might do that as my first song. And that night it.
Speaker 4: Went on a little too long with people sort of shouting out things that I couldn't quite hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then somebody said saying they might be giants, and I was like, wait a minute, I can do that. I mean, it was I sort of knew that it wasn't a bit, but I felt like he should really do that. He should really like, yeah, there's a day might be giants cover album in you? Oh God? Yes, that like that? To me, it was like and it was so satisfying to me because they might look they might be giants, great, but I feel like it's like my like, there's things like that that are that it's ostensibly to some people are super white, but I'm like, no, I'm that's mine too. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 4: But I've had that experience at they might be giant shows where I see another black person. I feel like I've had both sides of that spectrum, both like, Hey, that's dope and the others like if.
Speaker 1: We're allowed to be close to each other, does the venue explode? So the two indie black guys get too close to each other. I mean there's literally a black guy. There's Billy Tuggle, who I've never had a conversation with longer than like ten minutes, and he's just a black guy. Used to see it all the Fishbonel Living Color shows in Chicago, and we're like he just commented on an Instagram post I had recently. I was like, ah, like I've never had a long conversation with the guy because at the time when I would see him, I would be.
Speaker 2: Like, that guy's here again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope he's okay. Hope he's okay that I'm you know what I mean, instead of like if the internet existed, we would have found each other on the internet. Hey, who here in Chicago's going to see Living Color tonight and I am, and we would have gone together and we would have hung out together. It's so cute. I know, it's just so I do envy you Internet negroes, you Internet al negroes. I really my altness was grounded in like, you know, giant hip hop crew meetings in Chicago, and I mean big ones, like hundreds of people, hundreds of hundreds for a meeting about hip hop.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, because we had cruise that you know, they were basically like legal gangs, like like the Graffiti Cruise in Chicago, the hip hop Cruise, and sometimes they group. There would be all city hip hop meetings and we would descend on the hair Washington Library, of course, and there would be hundreds of us.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I guess my question is where did if your mom is playing uh easy E in the car, like, I feel like I can trace my alternative blackness to where it started from. I'm then only child, My mommus take me around, didn't spend didn't always want babysitter. So I was running adults a lot, and I got to because when we talk, I spent a lot of time by myself sort of creating my own version of what culture was same here in my room, and then I'd go outside and be like that we're not that's not we're not all doing Oh okay, I'll go I'll just go back in my room. Where does your so, Yeah, give me your the blueprint of how you got to be so South Side of Chicago late eighties, early nineties.
Speaker 4: It is not nice outside. It is not nice outside. And because my mom was living in life, she was living my grandparents raised me and my sister.
Speaker 1: Oh that will make you all if you're being raised by people who are a lot of your grandparents.
Speaker 4: And and a lot of that time was spent in front of the television. Yeah, so latch key kid in front of the TV. I wasn't allowed to go outside a lot, like literally because it was shooting outside.
Speaker 1: It's not like they're not mad, They're like, oh good, he's watching TV all day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we know it has something to do exactly. And we had cable, which was a rare ny We had cable, so so a lot a lot of my alt identity, a lot of a lot of the original information that isolated me socially was watching like hours and hours of MTV. Gosh, hours and hours of like the Comedy Channel.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah before Comedy Central, Comedy Central.
Speaker 4: Like I was just sort of kid that you know, once cartoons were because cartoons were such a uh some small segment of programming.
Speaker 2: And back then it was like they start at this time and they end at this time.
Speaker 1: And I was I had asthma real bad too. We both had. Okay, it's maybe asthma's the secret. Maybe asthma. So you're not you're not at the you're not at the at the court learning how to dunk. You're the kid who And back then, if you put out an asthma hailer, everybody would just like nobody knew what they were. I mean, so many kids I was around had asthma. Well black kids, yeah, exactly. It's one of our hidden talents as black people is being born in areas that give you asthma.
Speaker 4: It's terrible, but I you know, I had been hospitalized for asthma a few times as a kid. So I spent like a lot of time at home, you know, on school days, watching TV. And so that's when you would see the cartoons end at like nine am, and then from like nine am to three something when cartoons come back on, I'm looking for anything funny on television. So I'm like learning about the world through reruns of shows that happened in the seventies earlier in the eighties, and like all that stuff is like informing my worldview, you know. And I watched a lot of like I watched a lot of late eighties and early nineties stand up comedy because that was all over cable and you'd have like Evening at the Empire and a half hour Comedy Our all of that stuff. And so I'm learning how the world works through people telling jokes. The comedy specials used to come on like HBO and Showtime, like all of that stuff. Like you know what, I used to love watching Gallagher specials. I mean he loved watching a Gallagher special.
Speaker 1: People like this is definitely you have to be a certain as there was a time when v H one probably showed more Gallagher comedy than they showed music. And Gallagher had like I don't know, legitimately, like ten specials, a lot of specials. He had a lot of specials. And while we know them for ending with the Sledge of Maatic, he also was like sort of like a bargain basement George Carlin. He was like a word nerd. Yeah, he was like this sort of like wordplay and like had some sort of like these idiots in Congress had a little bit of that.
Speaker 4: I always thought it was fascinating. It was just a person giving me this weird old perspective on life and language, and yeah.
Speaker 1: I ate all this stuff up. Yeah, okay, gallaghers, I think asthma, Asthma and Gallagher. I'll do it to you together, old old old people raising older people, raising you asthma and Gallagher that I need to we've we've diagnosed the patient. That's a special is a special gumbo. Because I definitely was like like I like, I very proudly say people told me I watched too much TV, but I actually turned it into a career, so I knew what I was doing. But yes, so that you're taking it all that stuff. So so I remember as a young black person being shunned by other black people because there's all another reason why you're some of us are over there is because you try to walk to eereverybody they know you're over there, you know what I mean. And I remember being sure just because people could black folks in Chicago I was in Chicago to at the same time could smell that like he's not It was I got the they out like us earlier, not for the same reason, for the same reasons, but just because it's like you're not just I can just smell it on you. You weren't like going to Atlanta and stealing people's rap styles. No that I'm not. I've never been called a colonizer. Good but uh and also all the other things. There's no pens over my house but uh so, but I know that, like I just knew that, like those there's a second there's a segment of black people who don't think I belong with them. They can smell it on me. Did you have that?
Speaker 2: I mean, you're also in the hip hop crew of hundreds.
Speaker 4: Okay, but we would be talking about my life before then, okay, right, because I discovered that community when I was like sixteen, okay, okay, and you know before that, I can say I felt like I didn't have much of a social identity at all. So I always felt like I was learning how to wear a socializing costume. That's why I say I could speak people, because.
Speaker 1: You know I could.
Speaker 4: I think I could appear to be comfortable like I could I could go to my cousin's house and lived in the projects and be chilling.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know.
Speaker 4: Now I used to get roasted because I was legitimately and visually a nerd, like it was undeniable, Like my grandmother worked at kmart, okay, and so my clothes were just whatever they were selling.
Speaker 1: Yeah discount. Yeah. So I was just in nice sweaters and corduroils all the time, all the business casual at eleven, with a little glasses and a little shag. I was not beating no nerd allegation. So I didn't. It wasn't so much you're not black, but it was certainly you're not cool, which that which also there's different ways to roast where you're kicking somebody out, but you're also seeing if you can roast them, see if they can take it.
Speaker 2: Then they're letting them in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I just saw you're so when does at what point is is hip hop becoming a career?
Speaker 4: So okay, I get in and I start freestyling. And I would say I didn't record a verse until I was eighteen for a song, and then I didn't write a song until I was in college. I had to be like twenty or twenty one, and but that entire time freestyle and battling, like street corner rapping, like really for real, for real, like battling, battling, battling.
Speaker 1: Like you're not the guy who's like all in his bedroom.
Speaker 4: No, I was there because there there wasn't a bedroom thing at that time, because nobody had recording equipment. So we didn't even none of us even thought of ever like trying to make it. You know, we were just doing the arts because that's what we were supposed to do. We were supposed to get out there and do the graffiti. We're supposed to learn to break dance, were supposed to rap, We're supposed to battle. So that's what we were doing, and we were getting sharp and getting good and whatever.
Speaker 1: You know, I was. I was.
Speaker 4: I achieved a lot of success in rap, like it was something that people could see I was good, and so I just did that, just freestyle for years and.
Speaker 1: Years and years and years.
Speaker 4: This band that I used to freestyle with in undergrad booked a show at the local spot where people performed, and they were like, we want to put you on a bill. I'm like cool, and they were like you need some songs.
Speaker 2: They're like, oh yeah, you're oh cool. No no, no, so I had to.
Speaker 4: I went home and I wrote and memorized five songs Jesus and that was my set, and I performed and it felt so cool. And then at the end of that show, they put two hundred dollars in my hand. And when I tell you, I've never had a better feeling in my whole life. And that was the beginning. It was, oh, like the thing I like to do, but for money.
Speaker 1: And also I just wrote these like, yeah, these songs didn't exist a we could go and now exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 4: It was all very encouraging toward Huh, maybe I could try this one day. So when I moved. I ended up moving to LA in two thousand and four, just a couple of years after I finished undergrad, and I was only supposed to be here a year because I was supposed to go to grad school, but I didn't end up doing that. But in the back of my head when I moved out here was the thought of maybe I could, Maybe I could try it, because I knew I knew the project Blowed guys. Now, I had visited a couple of times out here in LA visiting my dad, and I had gone to the Blow and I was a freestyle, so they took me. Actually, the first time I wrapped at the Blow, I got booed off stage.
Speaker 1: The first time that boot off stage. And when you look back on getting boot off stage, there's times you get boot off when it's your fault, in times where you go they sucked, which.
Speaker 4: Was I don't I think it's always your fault if you get booed off stage personally, Okay, okay, So I mean I certainly was not. When I first got on that stage. I had never rapped to a room full of rappers really, not like that, Like I had wrapped around rappers in like cipher settings. I had wrapped on stage, not like.
Speaker 1: We don't know me. I'm stepping on stage. I'm going to impress you with my with my lyrical ability, and everyone there just wants their time to be on stage. So if you're not being amazing, not using the topic, well yeah, they're getting you about it.
Speaker 2: So it was.
Speaker 4: It was a hard lesson, but you know, I came back. I had to sort of acclimate to what they were doing. It was a different approach, but I learned that approach too.
Speaker 1: It's funny that the same with comedy like if you do comedy in Chicago when you come to LA and it's like, oh, this is a different vibe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in Chicago and LA specifically, when it came rap, it was two distinct different styles and I had to Yeah, I had to learn how to you know, I had to learn how to rap out here and put that into my tool bell.
Speaker 1: But at that point, how would you to layman like myself say, this is the difference in the styles.
Speaker 4: At the time, the Chicago was split into south Side and west Side.
Speaker 1: The south Side style was very it.
Speaker 4: Was very much a punchline style. It was like a lot of bars. I mean a lot of verses were constructed, set up punchline, set up punchline, a lot of big metaphors that that people would try to impress people with. In LA, it was about different cadences.
Speaker 1: It was about the percussive sound, being able to freestyle like that. And so when I came on that stage doing my setup punchline, it was like, get out, we do it up there. That is what it sounded like to them. That's what it sounded like to them. They weren't they weren't interested in watching me.
Speaker 4: Think, But because I knew some of those people, and some of those people had careers such that when I was in Chicago, I would hear some of their records. So ac alone Abstract ruled Micah nine a freestyle fellowship. These are guys who would be at Project Blow but have music that was going around the nation. So when I came out here, I was like, I'm gonna go over there and not leave, and I learned how to have a career over there.
Speaker 1: So you know, you're surrounded by rappers. Everybody's in it for different reasons, had different ideas what their career is going to be. You're and there's also been moments when it's like so called all black rappers have been sort of like have sort of entered the mainstream. Are you ever sort of like I say, this is a comedian. There were times in my career I thought I can be Eddie Murphy and there's then I realized I can't be it, you know what I mean, like like and looking back, I don't know what I was thinking about, but like and then so but I think, but then there's like I can see a path forward that's not that, but it is going to put me in a place where I can provide for my family and do what I want to do totally. Are you ever being like looking at a little Wayne and going like I'm next? No? Absolutely, See that's the thing because every rap most rappers would tell you if I don't think I'm you know, well that's the thing. I think great, But I think that what it's again, I think that what people at the very very top of the genre are doing are making something that's easily mass market digestible. And I'm not the best at that. In fact, I'll be terrible at that, you know what I'm saying, But like.
Speaker 4: There's nobody better than me doing what I do, and that's what I always stand on.
Speaker 1: So the highest heights I had, you know, I had reached was having a television show, right and and you know, being able to do my thing next to method Man, next to lizz O, next.
Speaker 2: To M F.
Speaker 1: Doom like this. That that was like my dreams realized. That was the New Negroes. Negroes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 4: That was you know, as far as the level of cultural penetration that I was ever hoping for.
Speaker 1: That was it. So we talked about that, you had the show of the New Negroes, which I remember Baron Vaughn's a part of that. And there was just this I remember hearing about it for a long time, like it just seemed like it was like the Comedy Central was trying to figure like had it and didn't been put it out for a while, and yeah, it was. It was a weird situ It was easy.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing I knew of somebody from the outside.
Speaker 1: Also Kevin's my friend that like, oh, that's to know that you have a show and to know that it's not like it's not doing the thing you thought I was gonna do, or to know that it's taken a while and to know that, like and then to know that it's out and you go, I thought the dream was having a show, and now I have a show, and I sort of maybe I know. I'll speak for myself, I kind of can't wait for this to be over.
Speaker 4: I can't say that I was of the mind that I couldn't wait for it to be over. But after the first season ended, and you know, when we were having conversations about potentially doing a second, my thought was, I do want it to happen, but I have to find a way to do it where this network is not shitting in my heart. I have to find a way to do it where they are not chewing on my soul for this because what I can tell after having this one season's worth of experience is that these people don't much care what happens to my mind, and so I can't keep feeding them the best part of me. That's yeah, So that that was my thought, Like I definitely wanted to do it again. Yeah, but I had to find a different way to do it.
Speaker 1: And season two didn't happen. Season two didn't happen, you know, and even that was it. It was like we really like sing in your Heart, Yeah, but that was the final turn. That's not you really need to do that part. We'd love to do a season two, but we got to ship in your Heart. No, man, I interest you in shitting in your heart?
Speaker 2: No, So where does that take you after that? Is that?
Speaker 1: Like, Well, I'm just going my own way.
Speaker 4: I mean I have I've had a I've had a few TV projects in the works, I had things in development, I had things get shelved, i have shows I've written for. I haven't had another look like that. But it's like I feel like where we are now. That was a stand up comedy, hip hop variety show, which on paper miraculous that it ever.
Speaker 2: Existed, to the air miraculous.
Speaker 4: So I mean, it's not the sort of thing where I behold in my breath looking to do that, that type of thing again, trying to reboot it, right, I think, I mean, we did try to, but we gave up on that dream. But the things that I try to do in TV now more just like scripted, like more trying to translate my ideas into, you know, what what the market is looking for, rather than trying to shoehorn what I do into platforms that are that maybe it's not studied for well.
Speaker 1: And that and and that brings me to how I discovered you in the last I don't know how long you've been doing it, but when I discovered you in the last several months of you now on YouTube just sort of like speaking to the culture directly and putting you're putting your opinions out there and sort of you know, certainly you've always been the first with opinions, and you've always you're on Twitter, you've certainly weren't shy about sharing your opinions. But what makes you decide to go and I don't know if I've caught up late, Like I don't know how long it has been going on, but like it talks about what this project is.
Speaker 4: It hasn't been that long. So I started streaming on twitch I think like three years ago. Okay, uh, And that's a that's a fun thing that can pay a decent amount of money if you got the right level of engagement. And you know, my show on there has gotten to a decent place. But it occurred to me that the state of YouTube was such that I was seeing a lot of people who were repurposing clips from their live streams into YouTube content, and I dabbled in that. Especially around the time of the Kendrick and Drake battle. Was this huge sort of open door where everybody had a voracious appetite for discourse around that beef and them songs.
Speaker 1: That was me, I was everybody. Yeah, I wanted to hear everybody's opinion on it. I wanted to know everybody that was me.
Speaker 4: And that's sort of how I got into it, right. I had made a couple of clips and put a couple of things up and was short of trying to figure out my way through it. But I saw in that that it was exactly that attitude that everybody wanted to hear what everybody had to say.
Speaker 1: I don't care if I grew, I don't care if I like what you voted for. I don't care if you were by bullying high school. If you have an opinion on Drake versus Kendrick, I would I would like to hear it. So between that and Diddy getting arrested, and because my biggest clip was me or one of my biggest early clips was speaking to that because I remember being especially sort of upset about the Diddy revelations because that hip hop community that I'm telling you I've been a part of thirty years, I feel like we have been trying to warn people about Diddy for the entire time. Oh you know, like I feel like you have about your specific hip hop community, like the greater hip hop well, I mean, I mean the greater hip hop community in terms of the bee boy side of it, you know, the underground hip hop side of it. Like so where sometimes our messaging comes across as mainstream bad, underground good, I think that there's an underlying thing where we're like, hey, that guy, and where he's trying to take things. It's got this weird thing too, Like it's it seems sort of antithetical to this thing that we're trying to preserve. And if you follow his career, like it opened the door to all of this weirdness, right, And I feel like that's something that we were ahead on. And and and I had a lot to say about trying to understand why it is that people don't listen to that sort of warning. And that was that was an early successful clip. And that was one of the ones I was just like, I was just talking. I didn't edit.
Speaker 4: I talked for like half an hour, and people liked it. And I was like, oh, okay, so this is and.
Speaker 1: It's like it's like when you did the five songs at the club and you got two hundred dollars, You're like, oh, is that I just talked for half hour?
Speaker 2: By the thing I care a lot about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and and that's the that's the balancing acto. Was that last part you said, because and this is what I ran into early on, was that, Oh, the way that this works as a thing to make money on is that you have to talk about the things people care about.
Speaker 2: But do.
Speaker 1: I always care about what people care about. That's That's the thing I see happen to people that I follow on YouTube is you can tell when they're like paying more too much attention to the algorithm, and I'm like, do you really want to talk about or actually, maybe you'd like talking about it, but I don't think you having like a real Yeah, I think you need to say about it. You're talking about it. But I think there's that's the thing. I think there's an invitation just sort of like, oh, this is trending in the news. I should probably got I got a way in. And I see people sometimes like y'all have been begging me to make a video, Like recently everybody who I follow is like, I know, y'all want me to talk about Jack Harlow, Jack Hart, Yes, And it just feels like that becomes like and believe me, when did Jack Harlow think broke? And as we take this, it's not that long ago. I was like, let me go to what Mike's talking about. Like I definitely was like, I want to see he's got something to say. Oh good, he does, and it's a long video.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was like Christmas. I mean but but that is, you know, that is the difference, right, Like that is something that I genuinely had thoughts about, right where there was other stuff I found myself talking about when this journey first started, where I was like, eh, I'd kind of rather I didn't make a video on that because I I don't actually care about it, you know, but it's it's it's just it's it's that just learning to you kind of listen to myself and and know this some some discussions I'll I'd rather stay out.
Speaker 1: Of, which is which is I have that same thing. It's like I don't actually need to weigh in on this. I can share somebody else's opinion, right. But so there's two things I want to talk about. One is just the how you came to be this sort of like version of yourself that you are and exists inside the greater Black umbrella that we that we live under, and you know, indie indie rap, indie black, you know over there, all the different ways to do over there over there. The other thing I'm talking about is, and this is something I deal with, is like how to maintain the independence without one sort of going like maybe you know there's ways you go maybe I will lean into the mainstream. Or there's sometimes it's like maybe I'll go get a job at the post office to quote Hollywood shuffle, like maybe I'll go, maybe I'll do some things I didn't think I was gonna do. Like with me, it's like I go three kids, nine jobs. I have to sort of like have a lot of things up in the air. Same because I still got to feed these people. Yep, and I mean literally these people. Yeah, not like feed the people my truth bombs. I mean, so how do you and I even the way? You and I don't need any money, God's gonna clear. But like I hear you like, oh this twitch thing okay, yeah, YouTube you're monetizing.
Speaker 2: Oh the video does well. And then also I'm going on tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also I'm trying to do writing projects.
Speaker 2: How do you?
Speaker 1: How do you do all that? I mean, it's it is exactly what you said. I do it all because I have to.
Speaker 4: I got into a space at the end of twenty twenty four where.
Speaker 1: The outlook was bad.
Speaker 4: I had a I had a show that got bought and developed by Peacock.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you know.
Speaker 4: They sort of they sort of let us around by the nose for six seven months and then ultimately shelved the project. And that was that was like my last the last thing that my chips were on. Yeah, you know, the last big project that my chips were on. And I sort of looked around and was like, oh, yeah, this is this is not this doesn't look good.
Speaker 1: It looks bad when that when that's when the when those chips go off the table, like wait a minute, Mike, I'm missing some chip. Yeah, and your family looking over like, man, we're hungry. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got to have a big son, he's very big. And I looked around and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, I need to get a job. Probably I need to probably not be waiting for some email. It's going to change my life at this point. Oh man, this is so like exactly. Yeah. So I spent I would say, like the last quarter of twenty twenty four applying the jobs in the music industry and you know, and production houses in nonprofits because a lot of my work before being in entertainment was working in nonprofits. And when I tell you, I didn't even get an email back. I didn't even get any e mail back. I was like, oh, not even like oh, it'd be fun to we're not gonna hire him, let's meet him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, like I came away from that time having learned, oh, I'm unhirable, Like I can't really get a job because like there's no way to organize my resume that makes it look like I sincerely want to work at a place.
Speaker 1: That I'm This resume doesn't say nine to five minute breaks. It says it is much right. Yeah, it says it says needs a paycheck, and we'll leave here as soon as soon anything slightly better comes along with even a promise of something slightly better, I'm not showing up.
Speaker 4: So uh, with that knowledge, I sort of looked around at the landscape and I said, Okay, the only way through this is to work harder. You know, that was the only way through. So, you know, if it's streaming, if it's youtubing, uh, if it's TV writing, if it's doing shows, if it's putting you know, putting out albums.
Speaker 1: Merg sales, which I helped you with exactly exactly. Yeah, Uh, y'all don't know.
Speaker 4: Now, he's a he's a great, excellent uh merch second in command.
Speaker 1: There's proof. There's a picture of me holding up a T shirt like this that's proves no, we're yeah. I was happy to help. It was great. No, No, So I mean I I resonate so much with this because he sort of like and you know you sort of like every now and again, I get paralyzed sometime just like by like if I don't if it doesn't come out of my head and generate income, then the whole thing falls apart, like it's the whole house of cards.
Speaker 4: It is a lot of pressure, and I think what a lot of people underestimate is like how much time that takes, not even doing other things, but thinking of the things that the.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's sort of like the gurgling of the thing to get it out of your mouth or your fingers.
Speaker 4: So you gotta you gotta imagine it, you gotta you know, try to get it in a place to be produced, and you gotta do these things like it's it's it is a lot, and I think I think a lot of times people underestimate how much free time that leaves a person with because it's not much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was just how hard it is on your family right when it's like sometimes I know I'll speak for myself, I'm just like almost like like this in a corner.
Speaker 2: Gotta you wanna Yeah, you know what I mean? Huh?
Speaker 1: Or you know when my kids say, put your phone down, data, I need to get this on Instagram. Yeah. Yeah, they don't understand. It's not you know, it's not it's not happy fun time all I've Actually my kids are now like fourteen, Like my oldest one. I talked to her recently and we had she great, kid, doesn't hate me. Really hated the trope of teenagers hating their parents. So she's rebelling against that.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, she's rebelling against because everything you watch as a kid is about teenagers hating their parents. And she was like resolved at like ten, I'm not going to do that. Love, that's fantastic. We've had we've definitely, She's like we've had like beefs and screens, but none about like I just hate you over all. And the one time I was like, look she was she was upsetting me with something. I was like, you're on a hundred percent right, dah. Also, I think you're old enough to know it takes work to keep this afloat. That's ru It's not like you're old enough to know. I'm not asking you to participate, I'm not asking you to stress about it, but just understand that, like you are old enough to know that this is a lot of work, know and and I am happy to do it for you, and I'm gonna and sometimes that means I'm not going to be my best self. It does call something like and I don't it doesn't justify it, right, but just you're old enough to know that, Like you know, this is a lot and it's draining, and.
Speaker 4: It's just I think it just comes down to maths, Like it's just like the time and the energy that it takes. It's like, yeah, you're not always going to have your best I think that's that's a real fair way to do it. My son's seventeen, so you know, his his desire to connect. It's very regimented, you know what I'm saying. So I can manage my resources enough to kind of Yeah, he's not, Yeah, he's you know, he's not a little kid that needs a lot.
Speaker 1: Come and climb climb into your lab at the end of every day. Yeah he's not. I don't think.
Speaker 4: Well, he doesn't ask me to put my phone down, but sometimes I can tell that he wants me to be watching what he's watching on TV.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, you know what, you're right, you're a era you're at. So I guess my last guys, we bring this into the clothes. A couple of the questions one, what is your what? How is your son's uh, how's your son's blackness? Like, how's your son's It seems very uh stable, he he it's a different era now, it is a different era. Yeah, black people allowed to have like tattoos, and I mean black men. You know, the expression uh, you know, the expression spectrum is all over the place. He goes to a mostly white school, though, like there are you know, it's it's a it's a it's a neighborhood school, so there's a good amount of black kids, but they are the minority. So I don't think there's anyone around there challenging his blackness, but it is his identity seems very very grounded, very grounded.
Speaker 2: Good job, good job parents.
Speaker 4: Well you know it's it's I feel like I just have to uh uh fight the manisphere off of them all the time. I just gotta constantly, I gotta throw hands with the manispheres. It's just all the time, just all the time fighting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I said this last night, like I feel really lucky that I had three daughters because I can just sort of like give away all the men's state secrets.
Speaker 2: I can just be like I'm a double agent, like here's what men do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Whereas you have to be like, as I said in my daughter one point, the problem with being a boy is that you can be a really good person, but at some point you're gonna be in a room with a bunch of bad boys and you're gonna feel pressure. Even if you're totally like sweetheart teddy Bear, you're gonna feel pressure to sort of like be one of them, or you're gonna go to them for counsel and they're gonna tell you the wrong thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and and with the way social media is, of course, yeah.
Speaker 1: They don't. They don't have to be asking, they're just not Andrew Hates just showing up all the time, Yeah, just with some with some unsolicited Like my son.
Speaker 4: Has been exposed to Andrew Tate for like seven years, you know, like and and I'm like, he's not even the one I'm really worried about, Like I'm I'm more worried about the ones where it's like I can tell that it's like that, but it's not as immediately as parent.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not as obvious, you know that like that.
Speaker 4: That those are the the values informing the takes. And I got to be like, hey, hey, but yeah, that guy he hates women.
Speaker 2: I have to say that a lot. Yeah, he's on the internet. Yeah, good for you for saying that.
Speaker 1: You gotta say it. He hates women, hate swimming, hate women. Yeah, like everything that he just said he translated, Yeah, I don't like women. And then and then there's this weird thing about like I understand, I mean I feel like this, like I understand that you're watching it for this, like maybe he's talking about hip hop, but also he hates swimming. Right, so just if you need to separate out the hip or the football top or the NBA talk, but understanding, leave the hate, don't take.
Speaker 2: All of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, he plays me a lot of artists that he likes, because you know, the hip hop he's into its very hit different than the hip hop.
Speaker 1: That's wonder I'm into.
Speaker 2: And he liked the hip hop he's into.
Speaker 1: I like some of it, and I can appreciate a lot of it even if I don't like it. What kind of hip hop does he like?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's funny because it is called underground hip hop, but it's got nothing to do. It's not your underground.
Speaker 1: It's not nothing. It's not underground. As a kid, it's not my underground.
Speaker 2: Now, son, I'm in the underground. I would know if it's.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I don't see that guy any of the underground hip hop meetings.
Speaker 4: No, this is a whole new crop that does a whole different sound. It is way it's kind of way out, but that's what I appreciate about it is that it's way out, but it's like way out through a hood lens. It's it's really different kind of stuff. But you know, he asked me my opinion of these artists a lot, and I always have to tell him, Like this guy, right, I like, I like what he does. I think his flow is interesting. I think his approach is cool. I think he's a good songwriter. Yeah, but he hates women.
Speaker 1: But he hates women like I don't know if you can hear this, he actually hates with me, you know, And and so.
Speaker 4: You know, we we We have tough conversations like that a lot. But yeah, I gotta you know, I gotta, I gotta fight the manisphere.
Speaker 1: That's the only way I can do it. My other liberated to the manisphere because I've been affected, my cris been affected by this.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 1: Have you been affected by the trumpification of the like just the industry and the trumplification of like And I don't mean as a human like the DEI like, you know what I mean, sort of like the sort of the like we're not interested in blackness in the way that we used to pretend to be. And so there's a time when New Negroes is being green white. New Negroes is not getting greenlit now. But you know, so like are you have you been does that affect you in the music industry? And not really Okay, there's you.
Speaker 4: Know, anybody who's talking about buying me as a performer, as a you know, as a as a musician anything like they know what I bring and it's it's it would be very different if I was trying to sell a TV show now, it would be very different. But that's a that's a corporate buyer, and I don't usually deal with I don't have to deal with you actively.
Speaker 2: Are not dealing with the corporate buyers.
Speaker 1: See, I still am like every now and again, like because I also because I direct documentaries, I get I get sort of put before the corporate buyers and in those ways have to be like, hey, which I you know, to me, that's like almost the equivalent of getting a day job, like of like I will direct this thing and I'll put my I'll try to put my spin on it, but this but it's you know, and I'll try to enjoy the work, but it's.
Speaker 4: Not necessarily your top ten most interested in personally topics.
Speaker 1: Not things that I would do left to my own device. Like this podcast is me being like I want something that's for me. I want something that's like I couldn't I could probably call you and be like, let's talk for an hour, but that'd be weird, you know, I wouldn't hate it. Yeah no, yeah, but I mean maybe we can do it now. But I really this podcast is about me saying like I want to have conversations people. I want to talk about it and talk to people about things I wanted to talk to them about in a way that is like I'm just going to talk to you about this thing. You know, so in a way that like being able to phone get back to your indie struggle might be weird. I'm very curious what you and Ted dance and talked about.
Speaker 2: Talk about afterwards.
Speaker 1: I hope, I hope it's not the same. It's the exact same conversation. That would be really weird.
Speaker 2: Now it's not. It's but they're all related to blackness. So a couple of fun questions.
Speaker 1: Then we'll get to the it's all fun, but anyway, just want I just want to know I've had moments like this, and I want to know what is it like when when somebody like James Gun is like this, like, did you have any connection to James Gun? So James Gun director of like I guess he's in charge of DC Movies now and was also director of many Marvel movies. Just it was like, this is what I'm listening to as I write Superman, Yeah, and you were on the this is what I listened to the.
Speaker 4: Playlist put out his I don't know why James Gun is sitting around listening to indie rap.
Speaker 1: I don't know why. I had heard whispers of that and I guess.
Speaker 4: His brother, Sean Gunn Yeah, is a real big Indie fan, Anie Rap fans who. So you know, I'm not sure how the flow is going to who thisss a hold or what first or whatever, but I had no idea something like that was coming down the pint, and it was amazing. I feel like there was a time in my career when that used to happen more. Yeah, you know, I think my work was newer on the scene, so more people we were discovering it, I guess at the time, and so I hadn't had nothing like that happened in a minute, So I thought that was real cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're like, oh, like people people, my work's out there, right, Okay, I can be liked by people who were in the mainstream. Uh do you remember doing my podcast? You remember this? Do you? Was this during to you by us? I believe so, yes, I don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, wow, yeah we listened to We went to a restaurant I believe in Berkeley, and I was after totally biased. We didn't even have I didn't even have microphones. I just had like a tape recorder on the table, I don't remember, and you heard everybody conversation in a room, including nods wow is.
Speaker 1: That still up somewhere?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: Wow, It's funny if you ask, I'm like it was so maybe it was after I moved back to Berkeley. There was like about a three or four year period where I was like, like it was the totally bias. It was like I felt like that period was like that period of my life was like the end of a Vietnam War movie where the survivors are just like and it took me a while to climb out and sort of like resettle into myself for a couple of years. Because also it was like I thought I was gonna have this show where I thought I was gonna have the show for twenty years, and then I had it for a year and then something I had to go like again, I think you said, like, oh my twenty twenty four is not doing what I thought I was gonna do. And my wife's pregnant with our second kid, so that's like a real like this is the It's funny you say that, because right now is the closest I've ever felt to that, just because it's like it's I feel like it's all on me, nobody's out there like, like you said, nobody's no emails coming in and going. We found like two million dollars. It has your name on it, so just just want to get it to you. Just send us the VENMO. That's not gonna happen. So my kingdom for two million exactly. So Wow, that's things.
Speaker 2: That's a that took me. That took me back to a thing I don't remember, but I have like fleeting memories of but it's not.
Speaker 1: Well you you were, you were, You were doing me a great kindness and that's why I bring it up. Okay, well great kindness. Well I was happy to do it then I'm happy to do it now. I feel honored that you sat down with me. Uh. Two things before we leave. One, give me the mic the open Mic Eagle starter kit. The five songs that you would tell somebody if they're like, let's hey, what's this? Like, I think I'm ready to get it into open Mike Eagle. What are the five five of my song your songs? Yeah, dishes off of my second album, Rappers Die Natural Causes, uh, Ziggy Starfish because that's the song people like the most.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's good, it's good.
Speaker 1: Now you want to put the hit in there. You want to put give them the hit. Yeah, happy Wasteland day. To give people a sense of my uh social commentary. Uh, I'd say, okay, but I'm the phone screen to give people a sense of how fascinated I am with the mundane. Okay, one more, one more would be I think I would go, oh man, that's tough. One more.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna a dark comedy late show because I'm I'm I'm doing self deprecation, I'm doing social commentary, but I'm also just killing you a bar.
Speaker 1: Killing you today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, good we need It's funny.
Speaker 1: Even for those titles I think you you you, sort of you go to sort of you exude all black, Indie black. None of those were like uh Maserati on my YACHTI like, none of those were like yeah, none of those were like bullet holes for my soul, you know, no, no, no bottle service, no bottles. And then is there a lesson from your life or something that you think about that you're like, this is like a thing to get you through or a thing that you feel like it's true, like sort of a thing that you like think about like or sort of things of things that are like that you sort of like this is a this helps to find who I am.
Speaker 2: To me, I just you know, I I.
Speaker 1: What's the word I do?
Speaker 4: I have this deep, deep sense of gratitude for everything that I've been able to do, and a lot of it really goes back to like, I've.
Speaker 1: Done things that I dreamed of doing when I was fifteen or sixteen years old, dreamed of And you know, the big lesson for me is that you know, whether it's twenty twenty four and I got no money left and I'm trying to get a job or I'm I'm hustling the way I'm hustling right now, or if it's twenty there was a time in twenty eighteen when the New Negroes was on TV and being actively marketed. In the house I was living at the time, when I opened my bedroom window, there was a billboard with my face on it right on the next block that I could see through my bedroom window, and I just I never, like the worst of times, I never lose sight of of the the improbable things. M h. I've been able I've been able to do, and I just I just hold on to that gratitude a lot that gratitude is a big thing for me with my kids, like we talk about because I feel like the life they're living, they're sort of things that are happening because they sort of were born after my career started happening that they're sort of like, oh yeah, we just sort of like and so very early on I was like, I'm happy that they have this great life, that they're getting to do these things and meet people and like, but also I want you to be grateful. So at the end of the night, I would say when they were young, I still do with my youngest, tell me three things you're grateful for from today.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is the way to sort of reminds me like, this is not all supposed to happen.
Speaker 1: For really, and it seemsy to take it for granted, like you said, when they're born into it. Yeah, Like when I was jally biased, my oldest daughter was one and she's like, I have a picture somewhere of her and her little friend blowing bubbles with don Cheedle. I don't know that being on my show, but I have this picture of her blowing Yeah, no photo, and it's like one day you're looking at me like what Wow, you know, and so gratitude. That is a great lesson.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy that we were able to sit down and talk. And I really do feel like we were sort of of a kind and not like that. I think that like I would not be the rapper you were if I was a rapper. But that's how I explained it to my wife. You know, me, you and quest Love. Oh yeah, all the same guy. It's a different, different shuffle. The last thing I asked you from homework, what is a cause that you want people to know more about her, pay attention to or support. I would love people if they're able to to support the Inglewood Mutual Aid Fund. There you go. I've tasked myself with with getting more involved in the in the mutual aid. It's a local to me, especially.
Speaker 4: Coming out of the pandemic, coming out of the fires, coming you know, just with with all into Trump, Yeah, coming into Trump especially.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I do a podcast called past Do Uh. That podcast is where earlier we were, you know, we were lightweight, getting into numbers. We really talked members because.
Speaker 4: Like the whole podcast is about how tough it is to navigate this current economy as creatives and you know, one thing that just comes up over and over again in these conversations is how important it is that we're active.
Speaker 1: In the communities that we live around. And you know, the community I live in is Anglewood, and you know that's that's the mutual ay that I would love people to support again. And so I just talked to my previous podcast guests. We talked about mutual aid and I was introducing it to him as like mutually He was like, what is that? And so to hear you then shout that out, I'm going to send that link to him, just sort of like because I think mutual aid is if America is going to survive. Mutual aid is how we're gonna is one of the ways we're gonna be able to survive. The only way we can is to is to help each other out and just put the resources and money or goods directly in the hands of people who need them without navigating through traditional foundational institutional grifters grifterscripts like let me, let me get a taste, let me for you before you give the before you give her that blanket. I'm gonna need to have a blanket corner.
Speaker 2: The blanket all right man the last So you're with me? Yeah, all right, I knew you were. Thanks brother.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I ended that way because felt like we need enough way to end it. We can leave this in with me awkwardly feeling bad about the fist bump. Thank you for listening to my interview with open Mic Eagle conversation why to say interview. Thank you for listening again. O Mike eagles new album, Doom comes out August thirteenth. His last album is out now from last year, Neighborhood Gods Unlimited. He can't be stopped. His podcast is past due. You can watch them stream on Twitch. You can also see he puts clips up on YouTube and he's just a good dude. So check out open Mike Eagle and open Mic Eagle shouted out Inglewood Mutual Aid. You can find them best on Instagram. Go on Instagram at Inglewood Mutual Aid. You can find them there and support mutual Aid. It's the one that we're going to save the universe, I think is through putting money in the hands of people who need it or putting resources in the hands of the people who need it. So Inglewood Mutual Aid. Even if you don't live in Inglewood, you can help people there. Thank you to Rabagrant Productions for helping me produce this. Thank you to Pushkin Industries for letting me host the podcast on their site on their network, and also thank you to who knows Best.
Speaker 2: Production, which is me and my wife. But you haven't seen her yet, so me yeah.
Speaker 1: And also shout out to Chris Dowd from Fishbone for the theme song. Check out the Who's with Me substack, which is the best place to keep up with everything against Santum Comedy dates September twenty fifth and twenty sixth, Stanford, Connecticut, October first, Stanford University, and November thirteenth, Bellingham, Washington. Thank you for tuning in and let's say what this week? Why don't you do something good for yourself, for your neighborhood, for your community, and you know, for the world.
Speaker 2: Thanks