Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of Iheartradiourder.
Speaker 2: Happy New Year.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm Leana Holsten and I'm Sienna Jacob and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film Oh my God on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary Edition, and are now watching films directed by women as Oh.
Speaker 1: This podcast is a safe space for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Hustlers.
Speaker 4: We gotta start thinking like Dad wall Street.
Speaker 1: Guys, you see what they did to this country. Warning there will be spoilers about this resourceful of film, modern film.
Speaker 2: Yah, Sienna, had you seen this before?
Speaker 1: I had not? Had you me neither. No, I didn't know what to expect.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, hey, here's here's my prediction of what I thought it was gonna be. Okay, I'd love to hear it. Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch Hustlers, not gonna lie. I have high hopes and expectations for this film. I predict it's gonna be extremely slay. Oh baby, this is Keithy Palmer. Love you. Bye.
Speaker 1: I had no idea. I didn't know about like any of the people in this movie. Oh except for j Lo. I guess I knew, of course. Yeah, I don't know what and you must. All right, well, let's listen to my prediction and then I'll say more about what I thought, because I guess I didn't.
Speaker 2: Okay, put it all in there, all right.
Speaker 4: Hi, Leanna, this is Sana. I'm about to watch Hustlers. I remember. I think it's about stripping the art of exotic dance. But as we know, it's directed by women, so I'm looking forward to it. Maybe they'll hustle to take people's money.
Speaker 2: It sounds awesome.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love you get back.
Speaker 2: It's like a book report. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I pictured it being more of like an ensemble film with some like a yes, a bunch of a heist movie. Yeah, a heist movie. But it was. It was different than I thought, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't I didn't have any expectations going in, but I don't think I had high hopes because I just didn't. I didn't know anything, and I was like, eh, we'll see it was wonderful. Oh yay, God. I love when women make things. I love women. I really love women. Yeah, well, Leonna, before we get into the movie, Hey girl, hey girl, it was just New Year's how's it going?
Speaker 2: Oh good? We will have to discuss New Year's off, Mike God. And other than that, I've submitted my visa application again, okay, and I have not.
Speaker 1: Slept since Okay, fantastic.
Speaker 2: I'm so scared. I'm so stressed. This is unbelievable. Couldn't be Hi, No, I don't know where I'm gonna live in ten weeks.
Speaker 1: On the bright side, you've done so much since then, so there's another world in which you try to do it and you just try to like work with what you'd already done and try to make it work. But girl, you put on a one woman show and you got it reviewd mama.
Speaker 2: So that's that's just in the eighth I'm still jet lagged. I've been very publicly jet lagged, to the point that my friend was like, oh, yeah, no, I've I saw, I saw I saw about that online that you have jetlag, and I was like, maybe I should take it down a nuts. But it's because I still am living alone and I just crave connection. Well, it also and I want to talk to someone. So I talked to everybody via my Instagram stories.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's what they're for.
Speaker 2: This is if Joe from Little Women's Sharona Addition had Instagram, she'd be doing this.
Speaker 1: That's what it is for. Though, when it's like, I don't really saying I have jetlag to any of your friends, even if you have friends that you can talk to about other things, it's like to just say I have jet lag, you know, we'll be like okay, okay, We're like you want to tell me about it, and you're like, I mean, I guess no, that's kind of it. So I think there's some things that are supposed to are supposed.
Speaker 2: To be to the ether, thank you. Yeah, so I've been posting into the ether this week. Well.
Speaker 1: Also then it was New Year's so you're supposed to stay up late.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well so I really forked it that way. I thought I had one jet lag because I returned from America on Sunday it's now Friday. On Sunday night, I slept for ten hours straight because I took an American grade sleeping pill and God bless and then on Monday I was awake the whole day.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 2: No, I took a.
Speaker 1: Nap, is that true?
Speaker 2: Maybe I was? I was, and I got so much done and I submitted my visa application. And then Monday night I couldn't fall asleep until I took a sleeping pill again, but it didn't work, and I was awake until like one thirty or two in the morning.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: And then Tuesday was New Year's Eve and I went to bed at four thirty in the morning. No, no, once you get paid, am I three eighteen? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh my. At that point, I was like, should I just stay awake ye into the dawn? But it's the UK in January, so the sunrise wasn't for another, you know, ten hours, and then it lasted for like two hours, and so I think I really forked myself. And now I'm publicly online about having jet lag and that's okay, thank you, thank you for your acceptance. Of course I accept that often about my Instagram stories, I'm like, I'm so annoying, and then I'm also like, I'm not gonna stop.
Speaker 1: Oh I love your Instagram stories.
Speaker 2: Thank god, Okay, thank you. I'm keeping that in mind.
Speaker 1: I love them. What did you post you this day. Oh my god, what you posted about those bow What were they?
Speaker 2: Oh? The bow buns. Sainsbury's did a party platter of ice ice Bowbie penguin shaped bow buns and it was the best, the best thing you've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I love that so much? Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Thank goodness? Okay, just for you, Bibby Bowbie. Hey girl, Hey girl, Happy New Year, Happy New Year.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking, I've been really into muting people's instagrams recently. Oh, muting Instagram stories and things, and it makes everything so much better.
Speaker 2: It's so powerful.
Speaker 1: I am. Let's see, uh yeah, who have you muted? I? Yeah, okay, let's talk about the people read the handles. I'm so grateful to Instagram for introducing the mute features. It's so cause it's like, I want to support you in this way.
Speaker 2: I want to support it, be a follower. Yeah, but I don't. I don't want to hear about you. Oh okay.
Speaker 1: The main thing I've been muting recently is I'm sorry to my theater high school theater kid community. But with oh no, when I know somebody who's like kind of like a goofy goofster in real life and and this is not to be shamey. I truly like think that we all deserve to do a good portion of this. But like when people are posting just like only thirst traps and I know them as like a dorky person, it it like it it makes me feel so weird and intimate.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like one thing of like a sleigh photo every now and then. But I'm talking like like I'm talking, I'm talking like they're wearing like some costume with a weird hat. And then they're like because it's just that theater side of it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, I.
Speaker 1: Do, I personally don't need to see this grind that you're on. I support you, but I feel like I shouldn't be seeing it. And you can't know what somebody's Instagram feed is, you can't know that they're Yeah, because some people are like I only want to post my beautiful, cringey photos and like that's what my that's what my Instagram is, and you deserve to do that. It's just like we don't need to be participating in each.
Speaker 2: Other's lives in that exact way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yes, especially when I don't know them. Well, that's usually it is. It's like I know them as like an acquaintance. Yeah, and I'm like, this is way too much that I seeing all this whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, it's so much. Hole.
Speaker 1: I've been doing a lot of muting.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: Yes, I had a lovely.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great. Yeah. I was gonna say a little segue speaking of seeing things that you're not sure you're supposed to be seeing.
Speaker 1: It. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gerlinsta, could you please give us a synopsis of the film. I almost at the film Hey Girl. The film Hey Girl basically girl. I would love to film Mustlers. Yes, where are we notes Hustlers alternate title hate Girl Okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, Hustlers. Destiny is the new girl at the club, Ramona is the best. They team up and become two best friends, breaking it in as strippers at this bougie nightclub. And then the recession hits and all the Wall Street guys who used to throw down for a lap dance took off with everyone's money and let the luxury strip club world to die. They have to get creative to make a profit, and after trying to make ends meet for a while, create a special ploy where they steal Wall Street guy's money, using specifically a special drug mix that they cook up to expedite the process of getting into a client's wallet. Eventually they get sloppy and they get caught. But most of the time, who are they hurting?
Speaker 2: Really? The end slay.
Speaker 1: This is of course a movie with j Lo who I'm sorry she ate Oh my god. I feel like I mostly am just making fun of her in the not me. I feel like we're most like, mainly in the ether these days. We're kind of making fun of her personalities. She's a cringy celebrity and that is very fun.
Speaker 2: Sure, but she was what a performance.
Speaker 1: I loved her.
Speaker 2: She's so strong, she.
Speaker 1: Is so gorgeous and amazing. She looks incredible. And then her performance, I think that they were trying to say that Ramona was kind of like a polarizing figure, who was, you know, trying to get control whatever.
Speaker 2: I just really loved her.
Speaker 1: I loved her so much. It's like she's slaves. She loves her friends. She's so nice. She's so strong.
Speaker 2: She's stills to tell her core strength alone could could lift mountains. I don't know how.
Speaker 1: I don't know how her body does any of what it was doing anyway. Wow, Well, Leanna, I'd love to get into our phone notes about this film and just talk about it, because Wow, what a film.
Speaker 2: Who this is?
Speaker 1: Of course the segment of phone notes where we talk about the notes we took on our phones while watching the movies separately. Uh, Leanna, you said, Okay, omg, I met the president of st Films once.
Speaker 2: Lol. Lol. I don't think I signed an NDA about this or anything, so I think I'm allowed to talk about it. Let's hear it, but I'll keep it a little vague. Basically, on a I was, I was, you know what, I'll just tell you all the details. It was a school trip. It was the Stanford spring break trip to LA where you do meetings with like alums in the industry. And somehow we got connected with somebody at STX Entertainment who was like high up and shock a man. And I think somebody asked him like, hey, kind of all of the movies in your slate this year are directed by men and about men, like it's mainly men, And his answer was so garbage. I think he literally said I have to daughters. At one point. That was mentioned and oh, men aren't smart enough to watch movies about women, so we have to make dumb films for men.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm so glad that we watched this movie so that I don't have to think about that too much. Yep yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Is so up And maybe they've turned a new leaf, you know, via that.
Speaker 1: Was such a historically bad response that they're like, Okay, maybe we should make this movie that.
Speaker 2: Like, I guess we have to make hustlers now because that guy flapped so hard in that group meeting.
Speaker 1: You don't know what I was thinking. Again, I thought it was gonna be like a fun heist movie. Yeah, I didn't know it was about like the specific situation, about some really I some really deep characters and everything. I don't It's one of those things where I feel like the advertising was probably about way more about the stripping and everything, because that makes sense. It'll get people in the scenes. But it wasn't all about that. I mean, that was what they did, but like, it wasn't all I thought it was gonna be more like I'll show you the ropes of how to Pull Dance, which is and was so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but it was.
Speaker 1: Mainly just seeing these women's lives, and it was so clearly directed by a woman. I I kind of I could try to explain it, but watching it is the best.
Speaker 2: Your first note does a good job. Your first note is this is definition of necessary boob and somehow none of it feels exploitative at all. So true. And then you wrote there is something wrong with men.
Speaker 1: There were certain times today where I was watching last night, when I was watching it, where I was like, what is wrong with them? Because this feels so good to watch. There are women who are topless because that's their job. But yeah, there's nothing about it that is that is ogling them agling. Yeah, let me forget figure.
Speaker 2: Out what I always saying. But I love when you say.
Speaker 1: Think it's either but that's ogling them and them and uh, you know, oh make presenting them like some object for our viewing. It wasn't like that at all. And just to see so easily just where you hold the camera, making it feel completely different. I'm like, yeah, you go to these like where you were where they were talking to the STX man and he's like, it's really hard, it's complex. It's hard to make movies blah, I have two daughters. It's impossible to make. And then you just see a woman take it, take the camera and take two steps back, and it's a completely different movie. That feels way yea, it's like you chose to do this. Something is going on with your head very round, So why do we just keep giving the cameras anyway, it was, it was. I just had a great time watching this film. It was sounding so much.
Speaker 2: Fun, just like Wall Street in two thousand and eight. We got a crash, but just for three minutes. They'll be back very soon after these messages. Oh yeah, And speaking of.
Speaker 1: Men being awful, you said men are so scary.
Speaker 2: All of the shots of men at the club and like egging each other on, and just the way that they felt like entitled two.
Speaker 1: Women's Bodies was all very scary. This I'm sorry, guys, this movie was so good. The I love movies that portray men as gross little bugs because that is the female gaze.
Speaker 2: That is another genre on the list.
Speaker 1: What's so funny We.
Speaker 2: Had from the AFI list like this Guy is the Best or White Boys in the Desert, And now with films directed by non men, we have men as gross little bugs.
Speaker 1: Which is like the subsys like that you know in a show when they will portray something, when there'll be a scene where a character is imagining something in a really cinematic way, and then we kind of zoom out and we see that they're actually just in real life being completely not cinematic and maybe just like staring at something and they look like a gross person. I feel like that's the difference between men making movies and women making movies is especially when it's about something sexual. Yeah, these sex sex scenes that really popular sex scenes that men will make will be like, you know, really sexy working towards a climax, gross like close ups on whatever following the ladies boobs, and then the movie made by a woman about the same sexual interaction is like a zoom out where you just see the guys going, which is what movies.
Speaker 2: Like this are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where it's just they show some to the guys just staring yes or having trying to uh, trying to pay for these women trying to buy them stuff even though they're like knocked out, just like anyway, It's so refreshing and I love it so much. Yeah, that's the female gays right there, is seeing men be incredibly embarrassing.
Speaker 2: They're so Oh Sienna, you wrote, O MG, she's doing pilates.
Speaker 1: Okay, did this make you want to learn the art of pole at all?
Speaker 2: No, because I bruise so easily and I'm not that comfortable seeing my that much of my body.
Speaker 1: I it's it's tough because I completely understand why you would never ever do that. But also, at the same time, I think you'd be amazing at it because you both have dancer training and you're incredibly.
Speaker 2: Strong and fit.
Speaker 1: Don't you think you might actually be incredible at it.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things where God has gifted me the skills, the ability to do something I will never do.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: So hard, it looks so hard. It looks so hard hard. I think you could do it, though, I do, I think you could do it. You're the strongest person I know.
Speaker 2: Oh my God, thank you. That almost means a lot. But I know the people that you know. I guess kel.
Speaker 1: Oh, not that you're freakishly strong.
Speaker 2: No, I love it. I don't think would you if you could? Would you? Would you?
Speaker 1: The reason I would you would because that that would mean that I was so strong.
Speaker 2: I would love that. But what I would really love to do is that the one where she goes flat. Yes, it's like called table or something. This movie is she's completely horizontal. She was being so supportive that scene. There are so many scenes.
Speaker 1: Some scenes that I loved so much that I didn't even process as being unique. Were, for example, Jaylo teaching her to pole dance and she kept just going like Destiny kept going, I don't think I can do that, and Jaylo's like.
Speaker 2: You can't. You can totally do it. Yeah, oh, you can totally do it. You're gonna do this, you.
Speaker 1: Can do it. It was just supportive.
Speaker 2: This is really a movie about female friendship.
Speaker 1: It that's what I wrote. Later, I was like, I had no idea, this was just the best friends movie. Yeah, oh my god, Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is so true, Siena. You wrote this movie is so of the time. It's like the Big Short plus Lizzo. Yeah, oh my god, that's literally what it is.
Speaker 1: I thought that was really funny. It took me a while to realize also that they were playing songs from the era that it was supposed to be in the world, like, for example, this is kind of unrelated, but when they were playing that Fiona Apple song right when Criminal, right when Jalo came out. I thought that was so funny to do to strip to Fiona Apple. But I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I did not know that was Fiona Apple. Do you want to hear the only thing I know about Fiona Apple?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I don't know how you're gonna feel about this. This is for actualy friend of the pod. We watched the entirety of the Lord of the Rings cinematic universe together and one of what we were watching was The Lord of the Rings The Rings of Power on Amazon Prime, of course, and at the end of one of the episodes of season two or maybe season one, at the end of one of the episodes in the show, for some reason, he pressed play one day and it started at the credits instead of at the beginning of the episode, and the credits were playing a Fiona Apple song where she turned the poem from The Lord of the Rings into a song. So it went.
Speaker 5: Threeing for the Elven Kings and we were thrown back into the count and it's an entire tune.
Speaker 2: It's on Spotify to rule them all. This is how it goes.
Speaker 5: One Ring too fine and bind.
Speaker 2: There your express I'm gonna keep go. Okay, one ring to this is the exact pace of I can completely imagining.
Speaker 3: Them all and in the darkness, bind them.
Speaker 2: That's all I know about Fila Apple.
Speaker 1: That is so funny, Leanna, you said it is so funny that Usher is in this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I was laughing so much. I couldn't stop laughing.
Speaker 1: I just so many good things happen in this movie. I know things were hard, but like also like they've just had a good time, Like Usher was having a good time.
Speaker 2: They were having girls, they had the which it was so much fun. When Usher was there, what's your name to Usher? He goes, Usher baby, and everyone laughs, including me. For a one split second at the beginning of that, I was like, why did Usher agree to be in this? And then they made the world look like the happiest place on earth because Usher was there, and I was like, I understand why Usher wanted to why Usher agreed to do this. It was like the sun shone out of his hole, you know, and maybe it does you know why. That's the magic of Usher.
Speaker 1: And in that moment, I was like, yeah, she's a talented boy.
Speaker 2: Is it is? The end of you wrote, I'm a great time, as was everybody else with Usher.
Speaker 1: I was having a great time watching.
Speaker 2: I still can't believe Usher was in this. It was so great, what a dream role, so fun. The role that they gave Usher was you enter a space and what makes everyone's day. It is the best moment of everyone's life. Everybody were there is happy.
Speaker 1: They need to show what the opposite of the recession was, and the opposite was when Usher is Usher one day.
Speaker 2: Usher is the opposite of the two thousand and eight stock market crash.
Speaker 1: Leanna, you said, I personally would not have had that baby. Oh I would not have had the baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just me personally, I wouldn't have. But you know, to each their own is what we hope the law would remain.
Speaker 1: Again, another wonderful thing about this movie. The man who she's with we only see for like two seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Okay, let's get into this. Because Sianna, you wrote hurts No one builds the economy. I knew that this was about scamming. I did not know this movie was also about drugging them. And I was like, oh, I slay, I know, I know, which is kind of what the movie is saying they're kind of like they're kind of like, sorry, you were drugging them, and they're like, it's not a big deal. Yeah, everybody is doing that.
Speaker 1: But I think they did a good job of not saying that that was a good thing and also not saying it was, uh, the most condemnable thing in the world, because, for example, when they were later, like some of these guys kept going back yes, because they just were like, yeah, I was having a good time. I'm used to getting black out drunk, and I really like feel powerful when I spend a lot of money on yeah, people who are at my wife.
Speaker 2: Right, And it is the thing of like they didn't harm them physically, They simply ran up their credit cards a lot. Yeah, they I think I think what unsettled me so much about it is that that concept of like drugging someone and like taking taking power from them totally in terms of like bodily autonomy. Totally rob a rich man from Wall Street any day, any any morning you wake up, you you rob a rich man from Wall Street, Absolutely go ahead and do that. It was more the uh yeah, yeah, the drugging part was Yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Was crazy, and there was a lot of nuance they were uncomfortable with it, and or some of them were uncomfortable with it.
Speaker 2: And oh my god, Leie Beinhardt's characters thing of she just always throws up was so funny.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm sorry, I don't know why that happens. Yeah, I think they did an effective job of sort of hmm making us think about the nuance there, because definitely it was wrong and it's weird because it I don't know, not to get dark, but they were like drugging these people so as not to have to do sexual things with them, right, which I'm not saying is right. It's just like so it's like the difference. It's like the women's side, you know, of trying to get you know, but yeah, they were. And that guy who's like, please you you took everything from me, Please don't do that, Leanna, you said my fiance became my wife. Men forgetting to tell you that they have a girlfriend during an hour long intimate conversation. My god, that is so funny. That is so funny. That was completely that vibe.
Speaker 2: Became my wife is the most unhinged way of saying were married. Why can't they just be upfront about it?
Speaker 1: I uh, the thing about my fiance is the.
Speaker 2: Matter with them. I will never I will never forget the Halloween party. Oh no, the birthday party where I spoke intimately with a man for thirty minutes and then he stood up and kissed a woman on the mouth and said, nice to see you. I said, what where am I? And why is it? In hell?
Speaker 1: Kissed her all the mouth? Wow, Lehanna, you said an iPhone four s omg.
Speaker 2: Wait, this was a period piece. It was a period piece, but also not that long ago. There is no reason we need to be on the iPhone sixteen when the iPhone four S was coming out like twenty thirteen perfectly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why are we? It's too much?
Speaker 2: What the f planned? Obsolescence gets me so riled up. I get so bad just thinking about it. Oh my gosh, I had no idea. Oh it pisses me up so much. Just make things that last, not that we have to throw away in two years. It kills the planet, it kills our wallets. It's horrendous for humanity. Stop doing it.
Speaker 1: Stop it. It really is, it really is.
Speaker 2: It's sad.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Leanna, you said, I love this chihuahua who has one foot in the grave. That dog was so.
Speaker 2: Small, Yeah, I like potato.
Speaker 1: Wanting to hold it in my hands. You do look because it looks like the size of a hamster. Yeah, it was amazing, and it was so dead in the eyes. It was just clinging to life, and I loved it. If you'll excuse me, Jalo needs to go show me some moves on the pole and I kind of just need to kind of spend the rest of the day doing that because I think.
Speaker 2: It's going to be kind of life changing for me. We'll be right.
Speaker 1: Back, Leanna, you said you said what a boob?
Speaker 2: Who said what a boob? I love a stereotypical New York cop going what a boob?
Speaker 1: What a boob?
Speaker 2: What a boob? A boob?
Speaker 1: I really like the end of the movie when they both were like, this is really wrong what you've been doing. You know, I'm really The journalist is like, yeah, I'm really focused on the drugging part because that's crazy, and all the cops are like, I can't believe these guys fell for that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what a boob?
Speaker 1: Like they had less and even Destiny is like I feel horrible about this, Like, yeah, it felt like nothing but now I feel like.
Speaker 2: A lot of regret and whatever what a boob said.
Speaker 1: The policemen are just like.
Speaker 2: Lol boob.
Speaker 1: No guys would even tell us that it happened to them because they were too embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Or a bunch of boobs, bunch of booms. I just I love boob as an insult. I think it's so funny. I wish it wasn't tied to boobs. I wonder which came first, the boob or.
Speaker 1: The boobs boo probably boom boom. But you know that boners, you know that. You know that boner used to mean like a mistake, like a mistake.
Speaker 2: Still does am I right, ladies?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love that that became. I got a boner, I got a mistake, mistake, my body made a mistake. I have a huge mistake. Leona, you've said a cab as hell.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, when they were like, think of your daughter, like when the cops were pressuring her into taking a deal. M yes, they broke the law, but also.
Speaker 1: A camp a caab. Yeah, there's a lot of things going on at once.
Speaker 2: This movie was kind of nailing it across the board in terms of its portrayals of everybody.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I completely agree, Leanna. You've said, who is Dorothy?
Speaker 2: Who's Dorothy? Had a photo in her wallet at the end where she was like, oh that's Dorothy. Who could who could ever? Leave her? And I was like, is she talking about destiny?
Speaker 1: I guess it's destiny. But I didn't know her. Yeah, I didn't realize. I didn't get that either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me neither. She literally never called her that because then she responded to it as if it was a photo of her like that. Her emotional response was such a high level, So I was like, well, I think it's about her. Yeah, I don't think it's just like somebody else for me a while too, But who is that? Who is that? Yeah? Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, do you want to move on to badgis and trages because I have a lot of things to say, but a lot of them.
Speaker 2: I have gosh, so many. Yes, Hello everyone, This is our segment Badges and Tradges, where we award badges for bodying these numbers, these dance numbers, and tradges for tricking people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for tricking people without their consent. Yeah you don't like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, you may trick me, but you must tell me.
Speaker 1: First, you must tell me.
Speaker 2: You have to I have to, and then you can trick me. I am willing to be tricked.
Speaker 1: I have a badge for eyeshadow. Oh, my gosh, don't get me started. I make this.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: I have a badge for body glitter. I love body glitter when you put a lotion on it and it's glittery. I usually there's never a circumstance in my life where that's applicable.
Speaker 6: This is it.
Speaker 2: It'd be fun.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe if you start the dancing like I suggested, Well when you pole dance, which I know you will, there are inevitable there are moments in movies like that, so pale.
Speaker 2: Imagine me under those lights. You would be brighter than people would go blind, brighter than ever. You're like, they wouldn't be able to tip because they can't see anything.
Speaker 1: She's like a new color. She's the absence of.
Speaker 2: Where is she?
Speaker 1: There are some things in movies like this that are made by women where there are just lines where I'm like, I never have heard a line like that in my entire life of watching movies, even if it's just completely simple, like for example, they said at one point, she said, you know I loved this time basically what you're saying before the recession hit. I loved this time dancing. It was so glamorous and cool. Yeah, and like I'm sure that is exactly what it felt like, you know, like as simple as that, we're just girls out here. It was so glamorous and cool. It felt great. I'd never hear that in a sex movie by a man.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Yes, totally, like they're like, we were banging broads right and left. We had a boner every day.
Speaker 1: I had a boner every day.
Speaker 2: Badge for the line I'm really blown away by your penmanship. Seriously, you could be a fond. I loved a that line and b that concept turning your own handwriting into a fond. I want to do that.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of that before.
Speaker 2: Why aren't we doing That's a new thing.
Speaker 1: I learned. Badge for the dances some of the Jalob does her dance My job, My god, my mouth was I was a gape.
Speaker 2: My mouth was a gap. I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't believe it. A badge for the stock market crash. Hear me out, Okay. I was excited because it was a historical context. This suddenly became a work of historical fiction, and I said, oh my god, that's right. Of course this will have massive ramifications for the plot of this film, this historical event.
Speaker 1: I had no idea that's what this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when that happened, I didn't know what was going at all.
Speaker 1: And then I was like, oh, go learn something. Love Badge for all the microphone stuff they did because it was a reporter and a magazine.
Speaker 2: L yeah, yeah, that was cool, like sound design.
Speaker 1: And stuff like when they turn off the mic you can't hear it for a while, or when she's wearing the wire.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, Oh could you bring the drugs? Shut up? Oh a badge for do you need to get that? About a baby? Is so funny, that's so you. Yeah it is. There's a baby making sounds. Do you need to do? You need to get that.
Speaker 1: Badge for a Besties movie? This is my next.
Speaker 2: Badge is female friendship is so important.
Speaker 1: It's like you can always stay with us because I loved her.
Speaker 2: There was so much care being taken of others. Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their family photo when they're all doing Christmas together. Come on, stop Badge for I loved the last line of this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, did you write it down? Because I know I loved it and I can't remember it at all.
Speaker 1: Let's see Jayla's talking about how the world is like a strip club. Strip club. She said, it's all a strip club. You have people tossing the money and the people doing the dance. That is so true. That is so true. M Oh my gosh. Right now when nobody can figure out how to make money and get a job and economy, and there's this weird attention culture and we can't figure out if art is just to get to distract people or if it's supposed to move you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I should just send you a song. I have to send you a song I've heard this week.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I want to hear it.
Speaker 2: My next badge is Constance wu Is doing a really good job. Yes, oh my gosh. The acting, especially in these interview scenes, she was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I loved her. I loved her. Everybody in this movie was so gorgeous. Oh, I guess my final badge is for the end dance at the very end. This is also how you can tell it's me about a girl. At the very end, they're like okay girls, and they just all do a dance together at the very end because they were friends that movie.
Speaker 2: I thought it was gonna be them at the club, like dancing in their club costume.
Speaker 1: Me too, but they were just at home. They're at home in their clothes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Women.
Speaker 1: The movie ends with first, you know, they're thinking about like, yeah, these women got punished, but then it shows like it does a whole pan across all these men just watching these women dance and just like makes you think about like what but what is this and all the power that men have or think they have for power dynamics in our in our world. And then and then Jaylo hits it with the best last line ever and then they do a dance together. I'm sorry, Triple Threat perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my last badge is Jlo is so good in.
Speaker 1: This I'm sorry. She was amazing. I oh my god, had no idea. I completely get the hype and I love her.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Trages.
Speaker 2: Trag is a trage for people with penises. Must be so embarrassed, please say more. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 2: Men having the world built for and by and around them and creating this culture, like yes, people have reclaimed dancing at clubs and pole dancing. Yeah, but but also it is an invention of the patriarchy so very much, and it's the biggest boner of all.
Speaker 1: The biggest boner the patriarchy.
Speaker 2: And just yeah, and I know that men, like the behavior of men that was exhibited in this movie still rampantly exists totally in real life. And see why are you not in bars?
Speaker 1: At some point you get mad because you're like before there was at least this like contract between the dancers and the people there, and like they'll give money for you dancing for them in this way, but there was like that boundary and then that those boundaries kind of crashed down when people were desperate in the recession. And yeah, I don't know, but yeah, exactly like you said, like people have reclaimed it, but it's catering to this disgusting Yeah, Like it's because it's meeting a need and it's powerfully meeting a need, but that not in need a demand that and that demand is something that is like disrespectful and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very patriarchal.
Speaker 1: Anyway, trage for saying nothing as a response, I hate this in any movie, and every movie does it because movies are trying to save time. But there were at least one moment. There's at least one moment where somebody asks something and the response is just like not to respond and they figure out what they mean. But never have I been talking to a friend and I'm like, so, how did it go? And they say nothing and look at me, and I go.
Speaker 2: No, why did they tell me?
Speaker 1: I would be like, I would be.
Speaker 2: Like, what huh what happened?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 2: What tell me specifically what happened?
Speaker 1: But anyway, it's a movie, so you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trage for this Little Purse seems inconvenient with Destiny always has a tiny little purse with her at the club, and I think it's where she keeps the cash that she makes. Uh huh, but that's gonna fall off your shoulder.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't notice that. God, I love her. Oh my final trage. Yeah, though hopefully you covered trages about the drugging and things, because I didn't write it down. But trag for trage for Jlo's flat hair in the final scene they do to make it look like time has passed. This whole movie is so gorgeous, and then they make it just so flat. On her head. She's working in an office. Now, it was so cruel. Why you gotta do that?
Speaker 2: Offices do flatten your hair along with your spirit. It is true, looks worse than after a day at the office.
Speaker 1: It just does something.
Speaker 2: I look so ugly there. I don't know what happens. My final trag is trage for not as fun as a heist movie, because I thought it was just gonna be like Shenanigan, Yeah, and like getting one over on these these powerful, yeah misogynists, and it was, but then it also was drugging people and taking away their bodily autonomy, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, ah yeah, and also yeah, it's hard to watch them get sloppier and and go for people who not deserve it less but are less like inclined to even be partying with them in that way because before they're like, these are the people who are going to get like so drunk that it feels like it's basically the same thing, which again is still completely wrong. But the logic, I mean, it's like anything where you're making money or you know you're doing something wrong, where it just the boundaries, it the slope it.
Speaker 2: Slips mm hm, oh, yes, let's let's dance into our next segment. How to pretend you've seen this film? This is for you are oh, you are seeing Usher uh huh in concert and you are dancing and living, laughing and loving it up. And and Doug was like nice, right? Was there like a Brian or something? God another badge that I can't remember a name of a single man in the film.
Speaker 1: I can't remember any of them.
Speaker 2: I love that well. I guess Doug.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Doug comes on you. You dance good, you could strip you know you?
Speaker 2: Oh okay?
Speaker 1: And you say what.
Speaker 2: And in order to kick Doug with a six inch heel, a six inch platform stiletto right in the chest. We're gonna give you He didn't even bring up the film, but we're just we're going right to it because that was crazy. We're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to inform Doug. You have seen the film Hustlers. Doug A, I've seen the film Hustlers and b my penship, my penmanship is so good it could be a font. So I don't need to be talking to you right now or ever.
Speaker 1: Yes, Doug, I have seen the film. I can never remember the name of the movie would have said this. Yes, Doug, I have seen the film Hustlers. Fun fact. Uh the writer and director uh Loreen Skafaria. I think Lauren sure Loraine Loraine Stafaria. She wrote Usher into the script but wasn't sure to be interested. But happily he was interested and even brought his own chain shades and jacket from that era to the scene.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cute?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna bring a few thousand and seven clothes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so cute. Oh Usher, ah Ussuerre. I love that, Doug. I've seen Hustlers and there is a scene in it that is so goddamn real, which is when Destiny is at a job interview and she says, how am I supposed to get experience without having experienced? My god, because that was a free job in the world. During the interview process, says well, have you done this specific job before, because we're only looking for someone who's done this specific job before. And you're like, how am I supposed to have done this specific job before? If you won't give me this specific job, that was because I haven't done it before?
Speaker 1: Triggering? Who that is so triggering? Yes, Doug, I have seen the film Hustlers. This film was shot in only twenty nine days and was a pretty low budget film. Whoa, I didn't have known any of that. It was really really good and like, oh my god, they did an amazing job.
Speaker 2: Wow, sleigh.
Speaker 1: It seems like movies made by women are often really fun to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, h Doug tries to sidle up to me during the Usher Content concert, and I turned to my girly pal next to me and I say, I look at I gesture I not over to Doug, and I say, oh, what a boob? What a boob? What a boob? What a boob? In movies made by men, when they say that, they're talking about a literal boob. But in movies made by women, when they say what a boob, they're talking about idiot men.
Speaker 1: This is the funniest fact. This is such a fraught fact. M Yes, yes, Doug, I have seen the film Hustlers. Apparently Martin Scorsese passed on directing the film, okay. Lorene Scafario wrote this movie though, and she also directed it, so I don't know if she was like, maybe this guy should direct it, right, I don't know how that happened, but all I can say is, thank god, this is not the movie for him.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm trembling with the weight of that. I need to find Wow, isn't it would be I would watch a sketch, comedy sketch. I would watch a comedy sketch that's Scorsese's cut of Hustlers, because it would be so absurd. That is so fun and annoying. Yeah, okay, but they'll just have like a giant Italian meal at some point.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. I think it was. That's so true. I think it's because like it was one of those fast paced, like trying to talk about a certain era. So they're kind of doing yeah Fellas, They're like, what if.
Speaker 2: We do that? Yeah, Goodfellas the Big Short plus Lizzo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then that would have just been so much more boob.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy this didn't happen. Oh, thank god, I don't want to kind that's huge glasses, Yeah, ogling with those huge glasses. M well, Leanna.
Speaker 1: Thankfully it was directed by a woman and we were given this wonderful film. And for that reason, what would you say? Would you say, Oh my god, for how uh for should you watch this? Or do you think we should watch this shelter. If you say something else with your.
Speaker 2: Yes, girlies, have a gander, you absolutely can watch the film Hustlers. I would say, should you watch this and watch the film Hustlers and read the New York magazine piece that it's inspired by.
Speaker 1: Did you read it?
Speaker 2: I did? After watching the movie, I said, what? And it's so much of it is like verbatim in that article. Oh my gosh, so many lines that they say out loud in the film came from real life things that people real life said. Oh my gosh. It was really it was very interesting. Wow. What would you say?
Speaker 1: Yes? I would also say, go ahead and watch this film. I really really enjoyed it. I learned so much. I thought it was very respectfully directed, and there's a lot of respectful thought put into it. You know, there's like if you feel it's very nuanced and I don't know, it struck an amazing tone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was quite artful. I just it was really good and it was really good. I loved it. You should watch it. Yeah, I had no idea I would love it so much. I thought it was gonna be sort of more just like fun and unserious. Yeah, just based on the promos I saw at the time. I knew nothing about it. Hm, but it's it's it's like The Big Short. It's like it's like The Big Short plus Lozzo.
Speaker 2: And Cardi B and Kiki Palmer. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Jennifer Lopez, Leonna, what would you rate the film Hustlers?
Speaker 2: You know, I think I'm gonna give this movie five gross little bugs out of five. I think I am. I was gonna do four point five because the drugging makes me so uncomfortable. But that's literally part of the story and it's what happened in real life, and they don't they don't glorify it in the movie.
Speaker 1: That's totally It's not like a heist movie where like, hah ha, we drugged these silly boys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Sienna, how would you rate to the film?
Speaker 1: I too would rate the film five j Lo's out of five. I'm sorry she's laid.
Speaker 2: Yes she I Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had a great time. I thought it was a kay lovely movie. I'm so happy we watched it. I had no idea. Honestly, what a winner.
Speaker 2: What a winner. I would watch it again.
Speaker 1: I would watch it again too. Yeah. Easily when she takes her kid to school and she has blood on her shirt.
Speaker 2: And my god, that's sequence. And did you notice how there's no music that entire time.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: She was just going through like the stress of like motherhood exactly.
Speaker 1: It just felt like a stressful day of being a girl. Just worked.
Speaker 2: It worked so well. Scorse Goodfellas try it with his chaotic last day, but it doesn't like this. Actually I thought that did it better.
Speaker 1: I absolutely think it was better.
Speaker 2: But that specific sequence, you know, like because in Goodfellas he's like, oh my god, this day like was non stopping crazy. But they're doing it very like over the top music, great narration whatever, whereas this is like there's no narration, there's no music. You're just seeing her like have to go. You can be a mom.
Speaker 1: Feel her stress too, because you're like, yeah, there's her kid, she has to get her kid to school after all this.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Anyway, what a great time. Thank you for ya. I think you put it on here.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, join us next week. Oh no, we have to do all our stuff. Well, thank you everybody so much for listening to this episode of Toss Popcorn. We were at toss Popcorn on Instagram. Please follow us there we post lots of fun things. If you like fun girly things. You can also check us out on Patreon. We just recently posted and reposted today video of our review of Wicked, which we know you want to hear.
Speaker 2: Got one coming up this month about a very popular movie that's out right now that's maybe spooky and maybe thempiric. Mm hmmm. Blink blink blink blink, wink wink and join us next week.
Speaker 1: Join us next week when we will be watching Coda.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, thank you, We love you, Bye bye.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. This movie features the perfect kind of boobs.
Speaker 2: What a boobs? What is what a boobs?
Speaker 1: My favorite kind of boob? What a boobs?
Speaker 2: What a What a boob?