Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 3: You're not interested in armed? Now?
Speaker 1: No, Look, we're going to do this thing.
Speaker 2: We're going to have a conversation, hey, film spotters for our Wednesday archive drop. We always try to find a connection to something happening in the movie world this week. Usually that's whatever we're going to be talking about and dropping into your feed on Friday show. But coming this Friday is our top five movies of the year so far. We thought we would go the what Pope Pirie route? We would just go go general here and pick out a top five that I have long said. This was Sam's idea, but I have long said that this top five is one of my favorite top fives in the show history. Now I've not gone back to listen to it. Maybe it's bad, but conceptually, it's one of my favorite top fives in the show's history.
Speaker 1: Well to that point, without naming any of them, but we have our list of picks here. There's obviously a thing. Tattoo regret is a real thing, right, That's why some people have them removed, as you just without listening to your reasoning, But as you just look at these images you proposed you would put on your body, you have clear regret for any of the picks, thinking of them as tattoos not movies.
Speaker 2: I do not. I have no regret about picking any of these. In fact, Josh, my regret is that I haven't gotten any of them tattooed on my body. Wow, that is my only regret.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moving closer to getting an actual tattoo, I am.
Speaker 2: I think my number one at least once a week, including I mean right now, as in this week that we are currently in. I think about getting my number one still, and it's it's gonna happen. I am going to get it done at some point. Yes, it's just a matter of how well and where because why yeah, yeah where? But also there are two different ways it could happen, because there's yeah, there's a visual component but also a text component. So do I go the visual route or do I go the text route? I haven't decided.
Speaker 1: You have I think three text picks mm hmm, and I don't think I have any looking at mine, which is interesting. So yeah, we should probably leave it at that at this point and not spoil any more of our actual picks.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go the top five movie tattoos in my case that I'd get and that Josh will never in no way consider getting.
Speaker 1: I mean number one is still in play. Like number one, I could actually see happening at some point. I gotta wait. I gotta wait till my you know, return hired sailor phase of life, which I'm getting there, but I'm not quite there yet.
Speaker 2: Enter that soon that would be fun. Here you go from twenty fourteen. I know you've been out, what you've been out of your room? Oh?
Speaker 3: I haven't, Paul, my.
Speaker 1: Little ceramic penguin in the study always faces due south.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about, saramic penguin.
Speaker 4: Is this what you're looking for?
Speaker 2: Well, if that scene from nineteen nineties Misery with Kathy Bates and James Khn doesn't evoke a specific image. Let me help you out. Baits as Andy Wilkes in close up holding a butcher knife up to her face, staring down at Kahn, who's strapped down in a bed. Now imagine encountering that image tattooed on someone's leg. Yes, it's top five time. This week we're sharing the top five movie tattoos that we'd get. Kathy Bates, Josh, I'm gonna guess not making your list.
Speaker 1: Nah, you know, I thought about her, but I decided to go with Richard Farnsworth from Misery.
Speaker 2: A Deep Cut. I like it. That Misery tattoo was among those that Film Spotting listeners sent in. We got an email from listener Franco as mal I hope I'm saying that right, longtime listener, I believe in San Francisco. He submitted it, which is, according to him, a friend's tattoo.
Speaker 1: Sure, Franco a friend.
Speaker 2: If you want to see that tattoo and be terrified by it plus more, listener inc. Go to our producer, one of our producers, Sam van Halgren, his tumbler. It's Sam Vanhlgren dot tumblr dot com and you can also find a link to that in our show notes, but we've been collecting him. There there's four or five that have already been posted from last week, and by the time you hear the show and visit you'll see even more. A lot of stuff, a lot of good stuff.
Speaker 1: This whole topic really has been generated by listeners, right.
Speaker 2: That's true, and they really responded as well. But we did initially get this idea from some listener comments back on episode four eighty eight. A few weeks ago, we read some poll feedback from Joshua Carrell and Portland, Oregon. It was in response to one of our death matches. We pitted Jim Jarmish versus John Sales, and he defended his Jarmish pick by saying, I've got a tattoo of Eva's cassette player from Jarmish's Stranger Than Paradise, And I think you joked that basically we should commit to our picks in such a fashion and get tattoos. And I threw out listeners, if you've got a tattoo, we want to see them. Well, one listener took that even a step further. Kyle and Albuquerque wrote in.
Speaker 1: Hey, Adam and josh just listen to episode forty eight and heard about the guy with the tattoo. Instead of getting your top five list tattooed, how about using that as a top five topic, top five movies that you would tattoo on your body, and what would the tattoo be? Thanks for the show, guys.
Speaker 2: So I teased this a little bit last week, and I mentioned that when I first got that email from Kyle, my response was, that's brilliant. It's such a good idea, but also so absurd and ridiculous that there's no way we're going to do it. It would just be too hard, and well, it would just be too hard, frankly. And then the more I thought about it, I realized that not only could we do it, if we really put our minds to it, we should do it.
Speaker 1: Josh, here's a moral careative making lists, not getting tattoos.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see how the list go. I think we could end up there. But I thought this was one of those very personal lists which are always the best top fives, so it could rival the site and sound where we named our top ten favorite films basically of all time, or what we did on our four hundredth show, the live episode where we did the top five things we learned from the movies. These are picks that nobody can really write in and say you got it wrong? How did you forget this? Everyone's going to have a unique list. So we're going to get to our list here in a minute. But if we go back to Joshua from Portland, it is funny because after hearing Kyle's email on last week's show, we got an email from him and it turns out he's actually gone and done what we surely almost will only talk about doing. He chose an icon from each of his five favorite films and got them tattooed right in a line from risk to elbow. So if you want to see that, that again is over at Sam's tumbler.
Speaker 1: But it's really something impressive.
Speaker 2: So inspiration from listeners, and we are getting a lot of comments with ideas and pictures, and we love it when we get that kind of response where we really see the passion that you have to have for a movie in order to put it on your body forever. So with that, josh that brings us to our list. You were initially a little bit hesitant, a little bit unsure of the topic, but I think you had a little bit of a breakthrough.
Speaker 1: I did have a breakthrough, and my number five is where it came. Actually, Sam suggested to me when I was saying how difficult this was, He suggested, come on, this is easy. How about an umbrella for the umbrellas of Cherbor. Yeah, that's structor Jacques de Mes nineteen sixty four attempt to out musical the Hollywood musical stars Catherine Deneuve and Nino Castel Nuevo as young lovers who are interrupted by the Algerian Wars. So, yeah, makes sense. I didn't name it on that Citan Sound top ten of all time lists we made, But does it really mean enough to me to get a tattoo of it on my body?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: When say I mentioned, I understood why, but I don't know. Is it that personal of a film? Well? Then I remember that Singing in the Rain, uh also prominently features an umbrella in its most famous scene.
Speaker 3: In Rain. Yes, and in the Rain, what a glorious feel?
Speaker 2: And I'm again.
Speaker 1: So suddenly the umbrella tattoo idea, you know, becomes not only a nod to two of the all time great musicals, but also to the entire genre and musicals. You know, it's a genre that my Star Wars loving preteen self would never have cared for or even really considered. Right it was grandma genre or something like that. But it's one of those that as I've gotten more into film and started to explore different types and periods and so forth, I've really come to appreciate. It's one of my favorite genres, probably now as a movie mad grown up. So this umbrella tattoo would also be something like a nod to the broadening of horizons or maybe the film journey I've taken a little bit. So yeah, I think Sam was on something there, and the umbrella tattoo would be my number five, tying it in with umbrellas of Shareboar and Singing in the Rain. Now, Okay, we didn't discuss this, but I gave this some thought too. Where each of these are gonna go.
Speaker 2: I thought about it a little bit as well.
Speaker 1: Good, I think I'm going to go lower back for this one.
Speaker 2: So lower back, Yeah, start at the lower back. It's a trump stamp of an umbrella.
Speaker 1: Of an umbrella. Well maybe off to the side, I think then it's not a tramp staff.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, I took this list very seriously Josh, because as we said, it's so personal, and the Pantheon in fact was eligible for it because we're thinking about these films that have so much meaning for us, we have to consider the movies that we've locked away as being among our favorite of all time. It turns out none of my picks come from our pantheon, but one of them, my number two pick, was a contender at one point to be anointed and surely will be again at some point. And it made an appearance on my penalty box as well because it had come up a few times. So we'll get to that. But one of the things I really wrestled with, and I think I found sort of a happy medium of my picks, is whether or not I was going to go with images or words or a combination of both. And I was really pushing myself to pick images because it's a visual medium. But I was arguing about that with our producer Sam, and he said, of course, it's a visual medium, but quotes are the currency of movie conversation. Movie image tattoos invariably seem too explicit to me. Movie quotes are like a secret code with film lovers, which I think is really well expressed, and I think there's some truth to it, but I did want to find a balance. I wanted to focus first on images over text and see if I could maybe combine them a little bit. And the fact is, even though quotes are the currency of movie conversation, so were great images. Sometimes there's something really wonderful about being able to put up just a still frame from a film that doesn't explicitly have a character in it and know that someone else next to you knows exactly what you're talking about. You can have that kind of bond over movie images. I also thought about this in the realm, Josh, We've been joking about whether or not we're actually going to get any of these tattoos. I at least wanted to force myself. I had to give myself some stakes to this top five, and this really had to be not just theoretical. It had to be a case where I could actually envision myself going to do this, So it really had to mean something to me personally. And after I made my picks, I went back and realized that there was sort of an unofficial memorial list pick here for my top five, and I guess I could call it the night play Chess with Death or the Dance of Death could go with either image from Igmar Bergmann's The Seventh Seal. It doesn't apply to all of my picks, but it is a theme, and I guess for me it's the theme mortality, the reckoning, with the mystery and meaning of our existence. And that's appropriate because tattoos are supposed to last forever. They are emblems of permanence that underscore are impermanent. It's because they last only as long as our bodies do. They also speak to the fundamental human desire to leave a mark, to say this is what I stood for before we shuffle off this mortal coil. So it only did seem fitting that a lot of my picks wrestled with this, which brings us finally to my number five pick. It's inspired by the movie Never Let Me Go, my favorite film of twenty ten, based on the Kazuo Ishiguro novel, and for those who haven't seen it, I won't spoil anything. Maybe the plot description The simple synopsis from IMDb says it best when it talks about three friends who come of age at a mysterious secluded boarding school and they're destined to lead brief lives. The line that my tattoo is going to be taken from is a line that is basically lifted right out of the novel. It's where in the movie Carrie Mulligan, our main character throughout most of the film our eyes to this world. She says, I remind myself I was lucky to have had any time with him at all.
Speaker 4: What I'm not sure about is if our lives been so different from the lives of the people we save, we all complete. Maybe none of us really understand what we've lived through. We'll feel we've had enough time.
Speaker 2: So that phrase we all complete. That's something that really had a profound impact on me. And I suppose it's just on its face mysterious and deep sounding. It's the kind of phrase if someone saw it on your body, they want to hear the story behind it, or in lieu of an obvious explanation, it's something they would ponder. The word complete is really the key. It has a specific meaning in the universe of this story if you've seen the film, but it's fairly clear what she's referring to. It's inevitable that we are going to degrade and die, but there's something about the word complete that doesn't make it seem so terrifying and miserable, right, it makes it seem natural and acceptable, which is how I'd like death to seem anyway. And there's of course something unifying and humanistic about that phrase as well. It says, no matter our difference is, no matter the specifics of our lives and our deaths, we all have the same laments. And that's a very beautiful thought to me. So I'm not sure if I would just go with that phrase or I would go with that phrase, And maybe some image from the film. There's that great poster shot which as Andrew Garfield and Carrie Mulligan running along Cleveden Pier it's in Somerset, England, just a very beautiful evocative image. Or the trinkets, the toys we see in the movie where these kids at the school it's their big sort of jamboree where all of a sudden someone shows up with these old castaway toys that clearly have been used and not really loved at all, and for them it's so meaningful in such an important day. And I always loved the symbolism of that because these kids see these nickknacks that seem to be valueless but are invaluable to them. And there's this notion that anything matters as long as somebody cares about it, if someone assigns value to it, And that is another aspect of the book that really stuck with me. So never let me go.
Speaker 1: Is it going to be the text?
Speaker 2: You got to pick one that would be the lead, Start with the text, and maybe try to build an image around it, all right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wrestled with that too, whether to go with text or images. I ended up choosing all images, so considered a few texts, but when all images. So my number four actually is a logo and combination of text and image. I guess it comes from a Wes Anderson film because I wanted to choose something from one of his pictures, because he's probably my favorite working filmmaker, as listeners well know, and really there's no shortage of options when you're starting to think about this. Speaking of text, I could have gone with, I say, Latin from Rushmore or something like that. An image might be the silhouette of the wolf giving the fist pump at the end of Fantastic Mister Fox. I love that image. Maybe even a bottle rocket where it all started, or Steve's Sue's submarine. You know, a nice nod to the Beatles there too, So it works.
Speaker 2: I sense a whole Wes Anderson's sleeve. Josh.
Speaker 1: You could go many many directions. I narrowed in on one that Anderson has already given us because he's so fussy. He likes these sorts of things like logos and scripts and that sort of thing, and so we have the teams issue logo, that grouping of Z's from The Life Aquatic with Steve Zazou. I do think this is representative of one of the things that resonates with me about his films too, though they so often deal with this sense of belonging to a group, a group that needs or wants something like a logo, right, or a motto or some symbol of their togetherness. Almost all of his groups have that, and really just about every one of his films except interestingly, you could argue maybe The Grand Budapest Hotel doesn't do this, but most of his films are about the creating or sustaining or restoring of a community. I also do like choosing something from the Life Aquatic because I get the sense that what seems to separate an Anderson fan from an Anderson fanatic is whether or not you go for this movie. It's kind of a tipping point movie, and to choose something from an Anderson film too feels to me from everything on this list more in line with how you should get a tattoo. Okay, because I'm in the midst of the fandom right now, I'm not necessarily looking back on something I've appreciated for a long time, and I feel like that's when people do get a lot of tattoos. And there could be a downside to this, because you know, maybe they're going to put out, say a really terrible album. The next album is going to be horrible, and you're going to regret that tattoo. Maybe Anderson's got a horrible film ahead of them. I'll have be stuck with my tattoo. But that's okay, that's that's kind of how they should work. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, that's a great point. And I'm guessing there's someone out there listening who's going to email us not only a Wes Anderson tattoo, which actually we've already seen.
Speaker 1: The Royal Tenen bombs.
Speaker 2: Kenny Meyer with his ten and bombs Margo and Richie. But there's got to be a team Zisu test.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. I'm sure maybe where I'm going to put it on upper arm, you know, just below the shoulders.
Speaker 2: You're right though, that to do something like this, they have to be timeless. There has to be something timeless about them, right right, versus picking some thing that you could really change your mind about two weeks or two years later. So good pick. Even though I'm one of those people, I think that's well said. Who maybe that movie does separate me as just a Wes Anderson fan and not a full blown fanatic. My number four tattoo that I might actually get is the image of Alan de Lan and his fedora from Les Samurai Oh Good, the Jean Pierre Melville film. If you've seen the Criterion collection cover image, it's Delan as Jeff Costello in profile and he's got his finger touching the tip of his hat. This, for me, Josh, is my aspirational tattoo. See, not all my picks are going to be totally focused on death and really kind of.
Speaker 1: But that's what I was going to say. Tattoos, a lot of times are the guy you want to be, the guy you want to be.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what this is. It's the tattoo I want because it's cool, and there's nobody cooler to me in the history of cinema than Alan Deolan from Le Samurai. I could never look like him, I could never carry myself like him, but I would love Josh to be the strong, silent, mysterious type, always calm and in control, never outwardly vulnerable, someone who reads people rather than wearing all of his emotions on his sleeve like I tend to do, and constantly expressing whatever's on my mind at any given moment. All that is what I do aspire to be and probably never will come close. I also love that he's a professional, someone who is really good at what he does, and those characters are among my favorite to watch on screen. This is a film Les Samurai that was discussed on the show maybe four or five years ago. I think it was a listener's choice pick. If you haven't seen it, but you've seen Ghost Dog, the Jim Jarmish film, you'll see a lot of similarities. Clearly an influence on Jarmish. As I think back on that, Jeff Costello character his life of solitude and ultimately tragedy isn't one I really want to emulate, or do I think most people want to emulate. But as a visage of cool, it's tough to be and I think if I was going to get it, i'd probably get it on my arm right up there by my shoulder and basically would be facing out right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense. Well, my number three, I should probably point out, is not an aspirational tech okay, because it's the blue ferry from Pinocchio. And my mind went here because Pinocchio is another cit and Sound type list pick that I made top ten film of all time for me. It was also my number one traditionally animated film when we did that list a while back, So the pick feels right. But it also forced me to consider, really consider why I respond to animation so strongly, why it does seem to speak to me in a special way. And I think part of it is, you know, it's just purely because it's something I'm incapable of doing myself. I've never been able to draw, so I'm in awe of that sort of artistry. But I do also think that animation best captures the sense of wonder that first drew me to the movies and continues to sustain my passion for them. It's probably also why I'm more eager to embrace whimsy or fantasy films like that. I mean, animation, It just seems to it simply has more possible ability than live action. At least in my mind, anything can happen. And that's even really the case for stories that you know, you know, even though we know the tale of Pinocchio. A part of the delight is seeing how the animators are going to envision this wild tale. As I live and breathe a fairy. Oh good, geppetto.
Speaker 2: You have given so much happiness to others.
Speaker 1: You deserve to have your wish come true, little puppet made of pine.
Speaker 4: Wait, the gift of life is bye what they can't do these days?
Speaker 1: All right? So now why the blue fairy in particular from Pinocchio. Well, if you're going to go with a woman figure, which is a common tattoo direction, she's more my tattoo style than something like, you know, a topless mermaid or something like that. Really what I'm.
Speaker 2: Looking for there's a sailor Josh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, No, never been a sailor. Plus there's the bonus fact with the Blue Fairy though that she has a cameo and Steven Spielberg's best film what might be his best film. Still not positive about that, but AI artificial intelligence is certainly up there. So with a Blue Fairy tattoo, I get a Spielberg tip of the hat as well. Probably put this one on my other arm, just below the shoulder. Are you getting a visual here?
Speaker 2: I am, it's really coming through loud and clear. Well. My number three a nice balance of sorts. In response to my number four pick, we go from the coolest character in cinema a land Along from les Samurai to the uncoolest William Miller with his microphone from Cameron Crow's Almost Famous, And I would use some form of that phrase that conversation he has with Philip Seymour Hoffman's Lester Bangs when he tells him the only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone when you're uncool.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you, I'm always home, I'm onn cool.
Speaker 2: Whether it's that phrase the uncool or we are uncool, I would incorporate that somehow. But I would use that image as well. And for people who have been following us on Twitter for a while or go to the film Spotting Facebook page, this isn't a surprise. They know that I've had this image for years as my avatar, going back to the very first message board I was ever on, probably in two thousand and one or two thousand and two. So not an aspirational pick, not the man, not the character I want to be, but more like the character I actually am. And part of my choosing this and going with this for so many years as I have is, as I have noted a million times here on the show, it is the first movie I ever reviewed, almost famous. It was purely by accident. It just happened to open the weekend I started writing reviews for the Daily Iowa. So there is that sentimental attachment to it. I loved the movie when it came out. Part of it, though, is also that it does represent me. I think it's the guy with the microphone trying to express himself, trying to get others to express themselves. And I got into movies with the same passion. William Miller gets into music where he has a breakthrough. He has an epiphany and he just becomes obsessed with it. I became fascinated as well by not just art of all kinds, but specifically artists and the creative process around the same age William is in the movie, and with the same fervor. That fascination and passion is what that smile on his face if you know the image I'm talking about, it's just as he leans in to interview Russell at the end of Almost Famous. That's what that represents for me, that leaning forward, even it reflects his curiosity. This isn't a passive thing for him. It's very active. He's an engaged learner and he just wants to know as much as he can. I of course agree with the sentiment as well, so eloquently expressed by Lester Bangs there. So maybe what I do, Josh, actually this occurred to me is maybe on my right arm, I've got le Samurai and I've got William Miller on the other.
Speaker 1: You go.
Speaker 2: So it's not love and hate, right like Robert Mitcham Knight of the Hunter. But I've got cool and uncool all right to keep me in check at all times.
Speaker 1: You know what's good about that? Though? Tattoo should also be a time marker maybe or an event marker. So yeah, to mark that first review and that lined up so well, I do that. I'm not gonna do that because my first published review was of Interview with a Vampire and I don't need come on a pasty brad Pitt on my body.
Speaker 2: Oh I love to see that, all right.
Speaker 1: Number two is belt Aasarre, the Donkey from Al Hazard Belt as I can call it. You did, you went there right away? It came to my mind right away. Yeah, you've got me pegged. It is my favorite Bissan film. It's the one that speaks to the sort of religious wrestling that defines his movies and does make him such a continually rich cinematic figure for me. And the wrestling is what is key. I mean, Barisson's movies there are more questions than answers. I feel like after we did that marathon is what stood out to me. Sometimes they're really angry questions. I mean, he certainly these movies certainly would not make for good testimonials, But it's the ass skin that means so much to me, especially when it's done as jarringly and artfully as it is in Brassan's you know, really stark elemental films, So a tattoo of Beltasar it kind of would be this continual reminder of that that sometimes asking the questions can be more important than having the answers. Even so, if I chose a shot from this, I'm thinking it might be the one of Baltasar's head when he's wearing the crown of flowers that Marie makes for him. Obviously there's all sorts of Christian implications to that image as well, So this one, I'm gonna probably put this one on my shoulder, on my back, Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: I love it. Okay, Yeah, I did know what was coming, but it's inspired. Even if people would just think you're a diehard Democrat.
Speaker 1: That's true. Well to somehow distinction clear Possibly those flowers will do it.
Speaker 2: My number two is the first one I thought about. It's the only one I had for about a week when we first agreed to focus on this topic, and I thought it was going to be my number one, and something just edged it out at the last minute. And as I look back at my list, here real quick, I'm guessing if you did some Google image searches, you're gonna find a few almost famous related tattoos out there, probably not completely unheard of, probably a few le samurai, maybe not any Never let me go tattoos that might be I think that unique. But sure enough, I knew if I googled this it would return a bunch of results, and it did. It's from the movie Blade Runner, the tears in Rain soliloquy delivered by Roy Batty, of course, played by Rutger Hower at the end of that film. If you google it or go to Tumblr, you'll find all sorts of combinations of that phrase tears in Rain. Some people have the whole soliloquy somewhere on their body, or they combine that with the face of Roy Batty. It is the ultimate validation of his humanity. And he's of course not a human, he's a replicant. But nevertheless, that is what he's expressing and exposing there. His dying is that expression, and that speech is his testimony. His audience, if you will, is basically bearing witness to his remarkable life, and it's ultimately the validation that he made some kind of mark in this world. It's almost a model, he suggests, I think to strive for while also being understandably wistful and melancholy.
Speaker 3: I've seen things good people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched sea beams glittering in the darkneded ten hours a game.
Speaker 2: All those.
Speaker 3: Moments will be lost in time, like tears end rain, time to die.
Speaker 2: There's no better death speech, just final word zone.
Speaker 1: With time to die and nothing else.
Speaker 2: No, I would probably end on tears in rain. I'm pretty bleak here, Josh, but I'm gonna go with tears in rain. It's just so wonderfully evocative. What are sea beams? Why would they be glittering? What's the Tannheuser gait? These are things that should be meaningless and essentially are to us the Tanheuser Gate's not a place we have any attachment to, but we don't need it. They simply sound wondrous and beautiful. And that tears in Rain simile is so perfect. Of course, you can't distinguish tears from rain drops on someone's face, just as these moments that he describes in the grand Scheme of time are indistinguishable from others and are inconsequential. But what else do we have to strive for, but those types of experiences to do something that is of consequence. That's with that speech, not just summing up that existential dilemma so well as I believe it does and so eloquently, but also giving us kind of a path, giving us some kind of model to strive for. That's what's always stuck out to me with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is one I think you do. Go with the text where it has to be. It works better than the images actually, because if Scott didn't feel the need to image what's being spoken, you know, why should you with a tattoo of it? So absolutely okay, number one time, and my number one is actually the only tattoo I've ever really considered getting. I'll be it a long long time ago.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just be honest with our listeners. I mean, we are going and getting these tattoos, right, Yeah, that's what this list was all about. Now you say it, yeah, I mean you're locked into this, Josh. As soon as you say it, it's done.
Speaker 1: See what our number ones are the whole list? Are we going to five? N one? Five through one down the number ones?
Speaker 2: Hey, if you're not going to put it all on the line, you've got to have some stakes here, josh.
Speaker 1: You haven't opened the Jack Day, and you'll see that even that's true. All right, It's going to be a silhouette of a Joshua Tree from youtuwo's Joshua Tree album. Now, the movie I'm tying this to, of course, is Rattle and Hum. Really yeah, well it comes from the Joshua Tree. But that concert film documented their Joshua Tree tour. So even though it resulted in its own realm hum albums, for me, this works. Now, why did I consider this tattoo? You know, it was around college time. We'll keep in mind that I was thirteen when Joshua Tree came out in nineteen eighty seven, so I was just really getting into music at that point. So this album was mind blowing for me. And then being at that age and being able to discover YouTube's earlier stuff, getting to experience something like Octune Baby, you know first hand. All of that solidified my connection to the band. And then as I got older, the way you two and mostly Bono really managed faith and popular culture was really formative for me. He's really one of those rarities I think of people like maybe a Staples or even someone like Stephen Colbert maybe, who's managed to create this space where the two things fruitfully inform each other. They don't seem to be at odds at all. Now, Rattle and Home. You scoffed at my pick of that film because it doesn't have the reputation as the greatest concert movie.
Speaker 2: Well, I scoffed, actually because I just got done listening to the audio book of one of Chuck Klosterman's collection of essays. I think it was I Wear the Black Hat, and I don't remember the context of why Rattle and Hum came up, but he just eviscerates it that one line.
Speaker 1: It didn't impress the critics when I came out. But this is also going back to fandom and for me having that connection with the band, coming to know the music at that point in my life, the film is secondary, you know, And and it's one of those instances where I don't know if i'd even want to watch it again now that I am, you know, supposedly sophisticated adult who critiques film. You know, it would be a different experience, and I want to hold on to that experience that I had at that time and what it meant for me, okay, so this will be my number one. Maybe maybe a little bit of a cheat here, probably you know, the back of the neck. There's no covering this one, hoop adam, So it's gonna go right.
Speaker 2: There all right. That brings us to my number one. The tattoo I like so much. I think I've convinced myself to do it. The only problem is the only problem is Josh, and I know everyone out there Cera was just cracking up at the notion of this happening, because no, I don't have any other ink on my body. But the problem is with this tattoo. Unlike all the others, those could be fairly small, fairly contained. This one to work, it would have to be fairly sizable. So it's just.
Speaker 1: From the Lord of the Rings movies, isn't it? From Olkin Map?
Speaker 2: From actually the Hobbit You've you've pegged me, Josh, you know me so well. No, I'll try to say this, and I don't know if this makes sense, but I did not seek out a number one pick that would be the perfect culmination for my list. But I had a number one pick that turned out to be the perfect culmination for my list. So in other words, it was obviously my number one before I consciously knew why it was. And it's inspired by the great James marsh documentary Man on Wire, about Felipe Petit, who famously strung a high wire between the two towers of the World Trade Center in nineteen seventy four and walked across the wire. So you've got, Josh my theme of confronting your mortality. How about clandestinely pulling off the string of the high wire that obviously highly illegal, he found a way to do it, and then successfully walking across it thirteen hundred feet above the streets of New York City without a net. He's not just confronting mortality, it's walking up to death and punching it in the face. Those are stakes when you go out on that wire. I've talked throughout my picks here about the sensibility of an artist. Here you've got an artist whose canvas is the sky, whose brushes are his body. He's creating a holy, unique, never sadly to be replicated work of art, an act of consequence, like Roy Battie describes, that isn't just extraordinary, though it's sublime, It's an achievement that demands, it requires perfection, and in the act of doing it displays perfection. And that image alone, I'm thinking of the one that is the cover poster for the movie Man on Wire. It's just so beautiful and one inspiring. It's the tee in black on the wire, almost like a dot in the distance, because we do have to have the sense of scale where he is up in the sky near the clouds and you can see the two towers that he's walking between. Just that image alone is enough for it to be my number one when you combine it with the themes I discuss. But then, Josh, I get to pull a little bit of a Larsen cheat here. I get to make it even better by combining it with a line of dialogue from another one of my favorite movies. Ah hah, All That Jazz, Bob Fosse's alter ego, Joe Gideon says at one point in All That Jazz, to be on the Wire is life. The rest is waiting? How perfect is that?
Speaker 1: Are you putting the text on there?
Speaker 2: I'm going to put his text on there too. I don't know if I'm going to put the whole phrase the rest is waiting, probably, but definitely to be on the wire is life that has to be there, because that's the all that jazz reference. Fosse, like Peti, is an artist focused on perfection, trying to achieve the sublime. That's what that film is all about. In his mind, He's always coming up short. That's what we see again and again in that film, which is coming out in a Blu ray edition on Criterion here in a couple months. Fosse, I think, would almost surely say, if he was still with us, that he never achieved anything like the sublime. Petit maybe a little bit more confident, and of course he did pull off this amazing feat. He might say he did, but it's not like he hung it up after the World Trade Center. He still went on to do more. He continued the quest, but he certainly could have stopped after that. I think, Josh, for me, why this is my hands down number one, and why I've almost talked myself into it, is because they're the models making art as the only means to defy death, in the exhilaration of the moment of the act itself and in the art's ability to live on long after you're gone, which again gets back to that notion of permanence and impermanence that I think tattoos actually speak to. So maybe Le Samurai isn't my only aspirational tattoo, Man on Wire and all that jazz. They really ultimately represent who I'd like to be. Don't think I'll ever be those guys don't have the courage, don't have the talent, but that is what I'm striving for and failing at every day. So for me, that sums it all up. That literally sums it all up.
Speaker 1: So I see how this could work too. I mean, you've got the figure of the man on the back of your neck. Yeah, the line running, You've got shoulders stretch out, No, it's going all down both arms. So you've got to raise your two arms, walk around like that without a shirt, and you know then the text will be on your back. It's a no brainer. Yeah, you gotta do this.
Speaker 2: Should we go? Let's go, Let's go right now, let's just stop just for yours. Show's over, just for mine. You don't have the guts, do you, Josh?
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: One thing I'm really hoping to get in our batch of feedback is I know we're going to get some response. Is we're gonna get some more pictures of listeners who actually have some of their movie related tattoos. We've already got, as we said, a bunch of great stuff that's come in, but I would love to hear from a tattoo artist who's out there, who's heard our picks, heard maybe our number ones. Just even start with those number ones and see what you come up with.
Speaker 1: Try to talk us into it.
Speaker 2: Try to talk us into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's there's something you know about getting a tattoo in college or that makes sense. I could even see getting a tattoo when I'm seventy. There's just something really sad. I feel like getting a tattoo at forty. Yeah, I'm gonna have to go driving around in a red convertible with it or something like that too.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if a Team Zissu tattoo really says midlife crisis, Josh, I think you're okay. All right, we'll see those are our top five movie tattoos that we might actually get if I can talk Josh into it. What about honorable mentions, Josh? Any others that you considered or did you just max out at five?
Speaker 1: You know? The other ones I thought about. Let's see, I did think about Rear Window, which I cite is my favorite best movie of all time, but I just couldn't land on the right image for that or text either. And the only other film that I considered was La dulce Vita. But you know, I need act on my biceps that we're back into sailor territories, mermaid territory, like I said, not my style.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll go with your Italian theme. There one for me that, up until about an hour before we sat down here was in my top five. I was so sure it had to be on my list. It's Julietta Messina's face from the end of Nights of Cabiria, the Fellini film, and I had all these notes about why I was going to go with it. It's the perfect summation of comedy and tragedy and just all of life is there in her face. And then I ultimately realized that if it came down to a land a law and that cool factor or the face of Fellini's wife somewhere on my body. I mean, I just thought about the fact that every time I was at the gym, every day I went someone would say, hey, that's really sweet your mom. You got a tattoo of your mom.
Speaker 1: You just say, yeah, we're close.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Juliette Messina, you are. But an honorable mention. Only a couple other ones. No Country for old Men, the line I love, what's the most you ever lost on a coin toss? It would be pretty freaky to have Anton Shagur somewhere on your body. You don't want to do that, No, I don't. That's why it's an honorable mention. A matter of life and death. The Palell Presburger film, that amazing Stairway to Heaven image. That's another one though, that would basically require a full body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a space for that one.
Speaker 2: Just an honorable mention. Twin Peaks. Maybe not so much of the movie, even though I like the film, But I'm thinking of the TV series That was another formative experience for me, and I love the red room, that checkered floor, and the red curtains and the couch. I think I just looked at this earlier today and somehow now I'm forgetting the specifics, but I love it and it's really kind of creepy, but in a cool way. I would consider that i'd stay with David Lynch Mullholland Drive. Think about all the times I praise meta movies here on the show, and movies about the filmmaking process. I had to think of one, and this is the first one that popped into my mind that had characters looking back at us looking at a screen. In this case, they're looking out of production. It's when Betty and Rita are watching the song the version of Crying by Roy Orbison and we hear that line Cilensio. And finally one, I think you'd be on board with Josh. It'd be a nice, little small one you could get away with.
Speaker 1: Two. I'm running out of space here atam.
Speaker 2: Terrence Malix The Tree of Life. Yeah, cover image the foot in hand gets back to my whole mortality theme, I think nicely.
Speaker 1: I don't think you gave enough thought to the likelihood of these turn it out? Well, no, because I didn't cook some of these of like body parts and faces and that sort of thing. I've seen a lot of bad tattoos. Oh yeah, that sort of stuff. So the babyfoot could be kind of creepy.
Speaker 2: It could be the tree. Maybe the tree, Okay, you know, maybe one of those, Josh, only one of those I really don't. I really don't see myself ever getting a land de La and the Fedora on my body. I might have been reaching a little bit with that. The other four, the other four definitely, I mean, I'll never get all four of them, but the other four all could happen.
Speaker 1: The only one I think I regret, though I like it for the list, is probably teams to sue because it's things have only become more Wes Anderson has only become more of a brand even in the time that we did this, well, it was twelve years ago, so you know, it seems like, eh, I that just feels a little too brandy for me. I might have to rethink that one. I'd probably still go maybe Wes Anderson, but something a little more subtle and harder to decipher.
Speaker 2: I'd really love to see a donkey like on your bicep, Josh. I think that'd be really tough, or think I could ferry. I think would be really tough.
Speaker 1: One on one bisop the other bysop the other on the other one, YE.
Speaker 2: Would be the toughest man in the world showing off your donkey, blue faery and umbrella. I will stell umbrella.
Speaker 1: I think to really pull it off, i'd have to lose at least one tooth, and I don't.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt that's gonna happen. There is no doubt I do love that image. If you want to access archive episodes just like that one at your fingertips, you can do so by becoming a member of the Film Spotting Family learn more at Filmspotting family dot com, and by reminding me that that was twelve years ago. That suggests it's due for a revisit. Another tattoo Top five.
Speaker 1: Josh, Yeah, I'm up for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do it. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. The n