Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: Ready for a break? Yeah? And so much for that.
Speaker 7: It's time for The Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 4: We were on Break with mbar Garcia.
Speaker 7: Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Tuesday, August twenty ninth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number twenty two. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break. We are live from the s WBC Mortgage Studios at the start. We got the full crew back in today and it's a great day to have everybody back at studio because today is cut down day. We're going to be breaking that down for you guys. I got my analysts here. They're going to tell you their best thoughts on what we think will happen here when the Cowboys have to make their final cuts to get down to the final fifty three man roster. Before we do that, though, Cowboys make a move last week since the last time we had a show. They acquire quarterback Trey Lance for a fourth round pick. Let's start first with what do you guys think was the strategy behind this? Because I think that's where most of the conversation on this move has been. What do you think was the Cowboys strategy in going out of spending a fourth round pick to pick up a guy like Trey Lance.
Speaker 4: I think they're playing the long game.
Speaker 5: Obviously, when you look at Trey Lance, you have to look at where he is right now versus what the scope of what he might do coming in, Because if you look at it right now, that's more realistic to what the Cowboys plan is going to be. They're trying to develop him as a backup quarterback at worst case. So worst case he's going to be your definitive backup in the post Cooper Rush era, which could be as early as twenty twenty four if Trey Lance develops quickly. But I'm of the mindset and I'm of the understanding and having these conversations. I know Brian has had him as well. This move is in no way to leverage against Dak Prescott that this is not that move. This is something the Cowboys are looking at and saying, hey, we're not going to pick up this guy's fifth year option. So it's a two year plan, try to develop him. If he turns into a definitive QB two, wonderful. You gave up a fourth round pick for a definitive, definitive developmental QB two. You've been trying to draft a development guy for the past couple of years and you've not done it. Best case is he develops well enough in that you can maybe trade him in two years and maybe you lose that fourth up front, but maybe you get a third rounder if he can prove he can be a capable NFL starter. So they played the long game with Trey Lance, and the only problem I have with it was just the compensation itself. The fourth rounder was right there up against my herd line, which was a fifth round pick. If you go back and listen to what John Lynch said, what Shanahan said, they were actually pleasantly surprised to get a fourth. But I know the Cowboys are in a situation where they really wanted Trey, and a couple of other teams came into the conversation. Maybe those other teams through Fiths on the table, Jerry Steven and will and say hey, let's just get it done.
Speaker 4: Put a fourth on the table and here he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I worked for a general manager. They gave up an extra one for Joey Gallaway when he really didn't have to, just he wanted the player that badly. And I think it goes back to how they saw Trey Lance grade wise. You know, when you look at where he's out on their board top of the second round, you know that's The Cowboys have a history of not tanking seasons to get high draft picks. And the way to get your quarterback, maybe it's a franchise or a future quarterback for a lot of teams is be poor. You have a bad season and pick in the top five. Cowboys aren't going to do that. And they have a history of this. They have a history of not they we have a history of of you know, you go back to when Jerry got the team and the Steve Walsh, the supplemental picks. You go back and you think about Quincy Carter, you go back when you start to think about working out baseball players, you start to think about all those things. It's never been a situation where we're going to take the fourth overall pick and draft a quarterback. Had an opportunity a couple of years ago to take the tenth pick and maybe get Justin Fields. Didn't do that, so they're more willing to try and say, listen, we had this guy on our board to a certain spot, he's available. The fourth round pick is to me, I don't look at it as strongly as you do. And I love to draft. I love picks. I think it's something you can get back. You know, Dallas, last year, you guys had some great audio and video of Jerry Jones talking about Kansas City moving back five spots and picking up at three. That's how things work. Don't worry about that. You know. Where they need to What they need to work on now is getting the player in and getting him acclimated, and I mean acclimated when you have twenty some odd coaches. Put these coaches to work. There needs be post practice where he's out there with scout team receivers, he's out there learning the offense. He needs to have a practice after a practice is what he really really needs. And you know, I think it's more about at least gives you options. The thing with Dak Prescott, you might let this thing ride. This is the one organization the general manager is not going anywhere. He's not. That's just the way it's built in for the organization. That's the way they operate, and that's just fine. Most teams have a general manager that has to have a quarterback or they get fired. So this team can play a game where Okay, we're willing to move on. We're not going to pay a quarterback fifty million dollars. We're not going to do that. In two years, they have those options. Maybe Trey Lance does develop enough to where you say, we can we can sign him for this, we can play him, and then we can build our team around that. I think that's the direction really that they're going with this addition.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when the Cowboys, when the news started coming out, it was one of those WTF moments, like what is going on? But it makes sense now after you sit and analyze the whole situation. It makes perfect sense. At the time though, it just felt like when speaking about a trade, the last thing on my mind would be to address the quarterback position. But if we remember getting into the draft this year. Earlier this year, Jerry Jones did come out and say they were going to draft the quarterback and it did not play out that way. They didn't, so, you know, quarterback was as part of their needs in wanting to develop a younger guy. This is not a proven guy, but I think it plays into kind of what they were looking for and what they've come out and said that they look for every year in the off season to keep developing these young guys. So makes perfect sense. Just very very crappy situation, which I'm sure we're going to talk about Will Greer, but the moment of when it happened and everything we experience for that.
Speaker 2: Game, I kind of feel like, though, this is just me, and maybe it's the hardened personnel guy in me. If Will gear would have played well for three weeks, maybe you don't think about no, this effect, you don't think about this, you know, and and yeah, it's terrible timing, But you're also in a situation where they talk about this and they're very proud of this. They talk about personal acquisition as a twenty four to seven job around here, you know, your job is to build your team, whether you know you feel like you got a third quarterback or you don't, or you have the opportunity to add a guy you had on your board in the second round. You know, these things present themselves throughout and we can cry for Argentina and all that stuff like that when it comes to Will Greer after a game. But me, I'm kind of my thought is I'm thinking, like, bro, if you'd have played well in three weeks, the three weeks you had an opportunity to play, maybe they don't make this decision, you know. And I'm all about team building. I'm all about trying to get better.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's the personal side of the business I kind of pull myself back from. But I think he should have Dak calling the place for him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, maybe that was that, Maybe that was the extra you know.
Speaker 2: I give Dak a lot of credit. And I was critical of this because in the in our pregame show, I was sitting there thinking, if I was a player that was fighting for my job, I would, you know, do you think enough of me to do everything in your power to help me maybe make this team?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: And I and I thought Dak called the place. Yeah, it's unusual and all that. If one of the other assistants would have called plays, I kind of understand. But to me, you know, it's one of those things that was kind of strange. The way it went out, it worked out fine. Dak did a hell of a job, he really did. And you know, into Wilger's credit, he did a hell of a job too. He just needed to do a hell of a job against Jacksonville and Seattle and then also this Raider team. And maybe they're not thinking about this, maybe they're not thinking about Trey Lance.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you know, I think the thing about it is, even if let's say, Will may have played better earlier in the preseason, I still think this is a treat in intriguing opportunity for the Cowboys Tree Lance. I mean, they had a very high grade on this guy, as you mentioned, Amber, they went into the draft this year thinking, Hey, if we have an opportunity to pick up a quarterback, we'd want to do it. And so you knew that that was something they wanted to improve on. And the way I look at it is, I really don't think this is necessarily about Dak. This is about talent acquisition. But your old boss, Bill Parcells used to say it. We're in the talent acquisition bits, right, and at a position like quarterback, you can never have too many really good quarterbacks. Let's say he develops into a really great quarterback. That doesn't necessarily mean he'll be here. That doesn't necessarily mean that Dak will be gone. What that means is you may have two good quarterbacks and then you may say, Okay, which one do we think gives us the best chance to win now in the future, And whichever other one you got, maybe you decide we're going to keep Dak. We're gonna re up the deal. We're willing to pay him fifty million or whatever that number is. And guess what, NFL we're open for business. Who wants who wants Trey Lance on their team? After we've shown you in the preseason in a game or two, he can do some things. And we've got you intrigued. Now talking to all the other teams, and those other thirty one teams now come bidding. That's where this is an advantage for the Cowboys more so than anything you could have gotten from Will Greer. Like there are gonna be teams that are beating down your door for Will Grear. Now you start showing a former first round pick, number three overall pick that now is starting to show progress. You're gonna have a lot of teams who are very interested in possibly trading for him. That's the value of going out and getting Trey Lance for a fourth round pick and maybe turning that into a first round And that's a second round pick, whatever round pick you can get if you decide to part with.
Speaker 5: It's a Bill BELICHICKI in model right, And no, I'm not comparing Dak Prescott to Tom Brady. But if you're talking as far as the business model is concerned, was there in New England they went and got Jimmy G right, and they got Jimmy G and they let Jimmy G develop behind Tom Brady. Then eventually they flipped Jimmy G to San Francisco. So to your point, to my point earlier, this is what I feel like is the best case scenario for the Cowboys. And yes, of course they're gonna have options if Trey Lance develops, but he would have to develop in order to supplant Dek Prescott. He would have to develop at strides that would blow our minds between now and a possible contract extension. And I just don't see it because it's not Trey Lance versus Deck right now, it's Tree Lance versus Cooper Rush.
Speaker 2: But it gives you options. It gives you options. And like I said, there's going to be a team that's not going to pay a quarterback that is a top ten quarterback fifty eight million dollars. Good, there's not gonna be somebody's gonna somebody's gonna step up. They say it's more important that you know, why do all these teams have success or talk about the success that they have with a quarterback that's under a rookie contract, because that takes up the majority of your cap. So to me, I think it gives them options. I don't think this is I don't think this the plan here was, Hey, let's let's get Trey Lance and trade him. I don't think that's the plan. I think the plan here is to really figure out if Trey Lance could play. That I think is the plan.
Speaker 6: Right, that's the plan, But I think all options are open to them, right, So I don't think that I agree with you. I don't think their plan going in was we're going to get him to trade him. I do think their plan was we're going to get him to develop him, and then we will see what happens. Right, Maybe we decide to trade him. Maybe we decided to keep him right, Maybe he's our backup, maybe he's maybe there's some universe where he's good enough to be a starter. The point is they wanted to develop him because of where he was drafted in the Great They had him, no question. They figured they could get that out of him, no question, right, or at least wanted to give a try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just gives you a lot more options to think about if, in fact, the quarterback numbers get crazy. You know, there might be a situation with the Cowboys that they let this contract with Dak Riot the next two years and see where they're at.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: The interesting part about it that theory of that route, if they decided to go that route, they would be then toward the end of Trey Lance's deal. Right, it means they don't get the benefit of that first year contract with him either, because if they've developed him right now, his agent's gonna say, hey, man, I want that same money all these other quarterbacks out there are getting.
Speaker 2: Right, it might be a situation where you're not where you're not paying fifty eight million dollars to a guy either.
Speaker 6: Maybe too, Yeah, maybe all right, we appreciate you guys joining us. We got a lot more to go. We're gonna get into the second and third segments today. We're going to cut down the show. No, not yet. Now, we haven't gotten to the guts of the show yet. We're going to get into the rush roster. Cut down. Well, tell when we come back as Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and t G fast reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in their area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 10: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 6: Let's roll back the tapes.
Speaker 5: Okay, there's our mascot rowdy cheering on the boys, and now He's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking app, staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica. Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 6: Eerica is only available in the English language.
Speaker 2: You mut download the latest version of the mobile banking app.
Speaker 6: Only available on select mobile devices. Messaging dat atesy apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 7: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sportsm equipment. United agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Hey, Cowboys fans, ready to spice up your next watch party, Bring yokiero guacamole and be the game day hero.
Speaker 6: Yo kiero means I want and we know you want.
Speaker 11: Great fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices, it will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertsons or tom Thumb in the Delhi section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo kiero, Yo kiero, guacamole.
Speaker 6: Back to the break I agree.
Speaker 2: The twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys season at AT and T Stadium is right around the corner and limited season game tickets are available now. Don't miss your chance to see the Cowboys live at AT and T Stadium when they host the NFC East Rivals, Eagles, Giants, Commanders, plus the Jets, Patriots, Rams, Seahawks, and Lions. Visit Dallascowboys dot com, slash tickets or seat geek dot com, the official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 6: Welcome back. It is the second segment of the Breakway. Are a live from the SWBC Mortgage studios at the Star. Today, we're gonna talk about roster cuts oh yeah. This segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com ding. Okay, yeah, we're gonna talk about roster cuts today, and I want to preface this by saying, and I want to say this as much for us as I do for those out there listening. I know that we get into the habit of talking about NFL players as though they are commodities. But let's remember they are people, and so our conversation today, although we're going to be talking about guys losing their jobs, we're going to be respectful of them. And for those of you out there who will be talking about them on social media, remember these are people with families who will be For some of them, this will be the end of their football careers, and so we'll talk about it with respect. But at the same time, we will talk about who's going to make this team and who will not. We're going to go through each position, and what I want you guys to do is I want you to do two things. One, I want you to tell me how many people at this position you think they'll keep, and then give me the names of those that you think will stick around. I'll throw there some names out there for you to help you out and then we'll try to see if we can narrow this thing down. So let's talk about the quarterback position. I think this one should move pretty quickly. We all, I think, agree, three quarterbacks Dak Prescott, Cooper, Rush, Trey Lance. All agreed, agreed, agreed. Let's move on to the running back position. How many do you think they'll keep? And who do they keep? They got Tony Pollard, Rico'dodellduce, Fawn, Ronald Jones, Malik Davis, maybe even Hunter Lepke had a nice game in the final preseason game. If you want to keep a fullback, maybe he would be your guy. What do you think will happen at the running back position?
Speaker 5: I'm carrying three three. I'm going Pilard, Dowdle, and Deuce. I'm trying to get Malik and Hunter lip Key back onto the practice squad.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 8: Hmm, same retweet repost post.
Speaker 6: So in that exit in that you guys are completely moving away from Ronald Jones.
Speaker 4: Unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Well, he's on suspended list. So what I'm doing is I'm putting them on. Yeah, but he's I don't have to waive him or anything like that. I'm just gonna put him on the suspended list, and after two weeks, if something happens with my running backs, have him there.
Speaker 4: I got you.
Speaker 6: So you're you're just deferring the decision. But if nothing happens, you're saying at the end of two weeks, you would let him walk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if if nothing happens, If nothing happens, right, which, but I'm going to use the suspended list to my advantage, Davi.
Speaker 6: Now now that this is just to be clear, the suspension list is not the same as like, for example, if you wanted to keep a guy that you were going to ultimately put on IR, you would have to put them on the roster first, then move them divers, so they have to be on that fifty three initially. It's not the same for the suspension list.
Speaker 2: Okay, straight, you could go in that category.
Speaker 6: Got it perfect, So everybody agrees three running backs, it would be Tony pollat Rico Dawdle, and Douce Vaughan on the final roster.
Speaker 4: Yes, got it all right.
Speaker 6: Let's move on to wide receiver. How many you keep and who do you keep? Ceedee Lamb, Brandon Cooks, Michael Gallup, Jalen Tolbert Cavante, Turpin, Simmi Fijoko, Jalen Brooks. Maybe even where do you go?
Speaker 2: I go with six and Simmi Forjoko's off that list that you had for me. So I went with I went with Cooks, Turpin, Gallop, Tolbert and then, uh, Lamb is what I went.
Speaker 6: So Lamb, Cooks, Gallop, Tolbert, Turpin. And you said, Brooks, is that six? That's six?
Speaker 2: That's six? You go five?
Speaker 4: No, I'm right there with you on six.
Speaker 5: The conversation I was having in my head was Jalen Brooks versus Semi Fojoko.
Speaker 6: All right, so let's have that debate. You're saying you go, Brian, You're saying you go Brooks. Yeah, you tell me why Simmi Fijoko would be a better option than Brooks.
Speaker 4: I think Simmy is well.
Speaker 5: The thing with Jalen Brooks says he came in and came on strong strong camp, you know strong preseason as well. Simmy had an up and down training camp. When it was down, it was down. When it was up, it was way up. So but Simmy also has a longer tenure within this current system. The familiarity with the coaching staff, Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush obviously, so there's a lot to be said for that as well as far as value is concerned. But the more I think about it, it's fifty one to forty nine.
Speaker 4: I'm right there with Brian.
Speaker 5: I think that you get Jalen Brooks on the fifty three and then I would try to get Simmy on the practice squad.
Speaker 4: So but yeah, probably could. Yeah, and I think you could.
Speaker 5: I think there's a greater chance that you get Simmy on the practice squad than you'd Getjalen Brooks on the practice squad. So because that's also a part of the equation as well, when you're talking about these roster cuts, who of these two players, whatever the two players might be in that conversation, if you want both of them to remain in Dallas, who has the better chance of us, you know, make it to the practice squad in this instance, I think it'd be semi over Jalen. So for me, I'm right there with Brian. Take a little convincing of myself, but I'm right there. Gallup cooks lamb Tobert Turpin because Turpin has to have a spot, and then I'll go Jalen Brooks close call fifty one to forty nine.
Speaker 2: Man, I just debated on this position almost kept five. And you know, because everybody keeps telling me that Jalen Brooks could play special teams, you know, and I haven't seen it where with my eyes and I really focus on trying to find him on special teams. They talk about him as a as a gunner, they talk about him on all these the cover guy, they talk about him in all these ways. I was kind of waiting for that for Simmi Fajoko. I think Simmi Fajoco has had his opportunity. You know, health hasn't always been in his favor. But I feel like though that with Brooks, from what I've seen from him, his ability to go get the football, they're crossing routes that he's able to run, the potential for some special teams. Of he's going to be the sixth receiver, he's going to probably be inactive every single week. But I think to have the assurance of a guy that can play the special teams. You know, he looks like the game's not too big for him. You know, he comes in, he makes plays. You know, he works with Dak I think exceptionally well. So to me, that's why I took a chance on keeping him, just because I think there's a little bit more to his game. I kind of understand what semiardy is. See.
Speaker 8: That was what made the difference for me is the fact that even though they're kind of right there, I feel more intrigued about Jalen Brooks and what he can give you. I want to see more of him, as opposed to Fehoko that we've had somewhat a longer time period to be with him and look at him, I'm like, Okay, he's still kind of developing, But what Jalen Brooks has giving you in this short amount of time just keeps me a lot more intrigued in wanting to see him more of him and then not ready to part ways with him just yet.
Speaker 5: Well, the great point that Brian made is when it comes to Semi Fooko coming into this training camp, it was just all about can he remain healthy and if he remains healthy, can he challenge for WR four? Well, jaln Tobert ran away with WR four and now here we are having the conversation not Simmi versus Tobert, Semi versus the other Jalen the seventh round pick. So in that instance, yeah, you now you add in what you've seen from Jalen Brooks as far as potentially is concerned, and you don't write off Semi foro Hoko completely, but you do look yourself in the mirror and say, hey, you gotta be more intrigued with Jalen Brooks right now and then try to get Semi on the practice clad.
Speaker 6: You know, I would even make the argument I go to what Brian kind of mentioned there. I think I would go five at this position. The way I look at this is somewhere well exactly, I look at this defense. I think it's gonna be a much tougher cut. You're gonna you would be cutting some very valuable players if you start cutting down into that defense, particularly the secondary and maybe the defensive line. So that being said, I think I would go at five because I feel like the five are a very very strong five. I think you got a good rotation with those five. And here's the interesting part. I actually think you can get both these players to your practice squad. One thing I've learned over the years is we watch a Jalen Brooks throughout training camp, and we think, man, there's no way you're getting into your practice squad. And the fact of the matter is every team, every camp has a Jalen Brooks. They have somebody that showed up in your camp that it's like, oh my gosh, this receiver is so great, and so you can probably get both those guys to your practice squad. So if an injury happens to one of your top five, you could immediately move one of those guys up. You don't necessarily have to keep them on your your fifty three, and that allows you to then go deep in some other positions. That's how I would look at.
Speaker 4: You could sell me on five.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't be a tough sell because if we're talking about who's the plus one Jalen Brooks versus send me for Hoko, It's not a hill that I'm willing to die on if that death comes at the risk of someone on defense, for example, particularly that defensive front that you really just don't want to let go of. Isaiah Land comes to minding that.
Speaker 6: Kind of him, So don't worry about that, right, But that's my point, Like, it's that kind of guy, like you want a Jalen or you want an Isaiah Lamb.
Speaker 2: Get the defense. I'm going to blow you away with what I did on defense. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 6: All right, let's move on. Let's get to our tight ends again. I think this one might be a fairly easy one to.
Speaker 2: Do this after injury, like right the week.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you got four and Jake Ferguson, Luke spoon Maker, Peyton Hendershot, Sean mceun. We all agree, all agree, yes, all right, perfect, All right, let's move on the offensive line. This gets a little dicey when you start talking about how many you actually think you will keep. So right now, you've got guys like, obviously Tyron Smith, Terrence Steele, Zach Martin, Tyler Smith, Tyler Baddish, those five.
Speaker 4: Will be there.
Speaker 6: Those are your starters. Then you've got guys like Austome Richards, TJ. Bass, Who's come on. You got a Matt Farniac, Matt Well, let's go, guys who've been here a little while. You got the veteran that you brought in Odoga. You got guys like Josh Ball, brock Kauffman, Alec Linstrom. How many do you keep? And who are the names that stay outside of that top five, I got ten, You got ten. Give me your other five outside of the top five.
Speaker 2: Okay, I went just naming them off in order. Here, Bey Oddish Bass, I didn't mind in the orders of numbers, So the Jersey numbers, Bey Oddish Bass, Martin a dooga. That hurt me, but I did it. Tyler Smith, I think Josh Ball is going to be on the roster one day and then I move and then move in awesome Richards, Tyron Smith, Terrence Steele, Matt Will Let's go. Now, this is what I did.
Speaker 6: Which did you leave out?
Speaker 2: I left out? This is what I did. I'm gonna freak people out with this one. I cut Lenstrom the center, Hoffman the center, and Fartiac the center.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was gonna say, who's your back what's your back up center?
Speaker 2: What I'm gonna do is I'm gonna try and get one of those guys to the practice squad and then that is to be I'm gonna yo yo, that guy as the backup off the practice squad is what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 6: Okay, So let me talk me through. What do you do in game if your center goes down?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm saying I'm gonna put so.
Speaker 6: You made one of those every week, will get moved up.
Speaker 2: Exactly, got exactly exactly. I'm gonna play the Yo yo game with my back up.
Speaker 6: Three times, so you just rotate the three of them.
Speaker 2: And maybe injuries take care of themselves or something happens and I'm able to put one of those guys on full time. But I'm gonna go, I'm gonna, I'm gonna I'm gonna cut three guys the like I say, Lindstrom, Hoffman and Farniac.
Speaker 6: Do you risk losing Farniac just because offensive line is such a position. It is it's a premium place where people are looking for bodies, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. But I also want to keep Isaiah Land on my team. So that's that. Now, this is where I start to play the game of who would I rather have? And I kind of feel like, Okay, if you know Lindstrom, I don't think will get claimed. Hoffman is interesting because he's not gonna to fit everybody's eye. He doesn't look like your typical NFL lineman, but they really really like him. Farniac has shown he can play in games. He did it last year. But I don't know if it's enough to where we'll see. I mean there's some teams. I was talking to a team this morning that traded for a center yesterday, and you know, they were asking me about all these centers and I said, I put them all in the street, and they're like, hmm, that's interesting. So we'll see if they get these guys through. But I on my list. I did it.
Speaker 4: I'm going this is going to be kind of kind of funny.
Speaker 5: I'm going nine today, but I'll have ten before the team flies to New York.
Speaker 6: I got you. I know that game, right, So they said trade for one. Yeah, so look for claim one, which is also the reason why you put all those centers out there. You might not be able to get all of them. They may not be available to Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I'm going nine with the initial cuts, but my goal is to add a plus one.
Speaker 6: Who are the four that you're.
Speaker 5: Going to keep up besides behind side the top of five, I'm I'm going Awsome Richards brock Hoffman. I'm sending Josh Ball to season ending.
Speaker 6: I are, but you have to get him on the roster initially.
Speaker 2: He's outright just putting them on.
Speaker 4: So you visit him next year.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 5: So that's why I with that because and this is going to what Brian is talking about. Now, you start to play the roster game as far as Okay, well, if I have to carry josh Ball for one day, that means I have to risk somebody to waivers or let him go.
Speaker 4: Right, then the.
Speaker 5: Question becomes how severe is josh Bo's injury? In addition to the type of injury itself, this is soft tissue hip slash growing on an offensive lineman. Reports are that it's multiple weeks. McCarthy said, Sid, it's multiple weeks, it could.
Speaker 4: Easily drag out.
Speaker 6: I get that. But here's here's where I would wonder, does it really help you? Because josh Ball, I think we all agree agree, is a player that really needs work. He needs some development. He's not going to get development if he's not even practicing with your team. So what's the point of putting him on IR You're basically just saying player that needs development can't get it, and we're going to start back over next year where he already is. Because I just don't know if that's helping him.
Speaker 5: Because my question on him is, let's say in that situation right, And you're completely correct. But if he's not ready to even begin his on field work until November hypothetically December, what did you just do?
Speaker 6: That's game that that's two maybe two and a half months of on field work for him still because but no, the coaches, the coaches value those practice sessions because those practice sessions, you can't get that back in the off season. Right that that's time that he could be getting work, that they could be looking at him, they could be developing him. I still think it's valuable time that they just don't get back.
Speaker 2: I kept him acted because I know in November I can't find an offensive tackle.
Speaker 6: Very true.
Speaker 2: I mean I've sat there and my my personnel board in November looks like a Thanksgiving Day turkey after everybody has had their sitting there.
Speaker 6: It's nothing but skin and bone caring up.
Speaker 2: That thing looks like that board looks. And I know, if I have an opportunity, if I can bring Josh Ball back, and you're you're not wrong with him, it's rehab. The practice stuff will be important. But I know in November I can't find a tackle, and that's why I'm keeping him.
Speaker 5: Then the question becomes what was he as far as ability concern as far as development, and.
Speaker 2: Was he had the parking lot well against the Seattle right before I was I was ready to move on him and a doga and guys like that.
Speaker 4: So that's my point.
Speaker 5: If he had one foot in the parking lot before he suffered a major injury, and when he is available to come back, he's not coming back in his prime form, and then his prime form had one foot out the door. Anyway, I just it's like and it becomes maybe the Jason Peters conversation on the back half, because we talked about that. You bring in a veteran, particularly if Jason Peters, for example, is available, you know you're not going to get seventeen plus the postseason from him. If things are skinny and you're looking at the bones of the situation in late November early December, you can get you know, eight nine games out of Jason Peter. So that becomes the conversation that I'm more comfortable with having. I mean, we'll see more comfortable with having versus.
Speaker 2: You're kneeling down rolling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a lot, man.
Speaker 5: So that's where I am on my four would be Austoin Richards, brock Hoffman, Matt will Let's go, and Matt Fontiac.
Speaker 6: The only way you did yeah, okay initially did I don't know if you just.
Speaker 8: And last game, I was songing on the sideline with Tyler Smith and I asked him, I'm like, hey, what's it. Who's the guy who has made the biggest jump in the O line? And he said, t J.
Speaker 2: Bass.
Speaker 6: He's been playing by far, He's.
Speaker 8: Done an amazing job. So that's always exciting to see and here from a teammate. But I feel like there's somebody that's not on here, a name, Like I just I don't feel completely confident in this group of backups as far as like is this it? Are we starting the whole season with this? So I'm with you Patrick, and like, there's a name now we do not know of just yet that's gonna come.
Speaker 2: Maybe that keeps here fall on the injured list, they find somebody, they trade for, somebody, they picked somebody up. But that's that's I'm I'm just gonna try and cover my basis by having a guy available in that time.
Speaker 4: There's a shadow guy out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Yeah, we're gonna take our final break we're gonna come back and get to this defense. Defensive defense is gonna be a tough one to cut. We'll talk about that when we come back. Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 9: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beefs AT and T five G fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 1: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil change, Dallas. Take five oil change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take Five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys. Jack Black and right Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball to play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 7: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 6: Back to the break.
Speaker 2: Oh this is me, Yeah, excuse me. I was trying to figure out about Chotzigs. I played him at defensive tackle. Do you sleep and breede? Dallas Cowboys Football? Tell us how you spice up the game For a chance to be named the twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, Presented by Captain Morgan. It went exclusive prices plus a trip to the Super Bowl at Super Bowl fifty eight. Nominate yourself or another today at Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 6: Okay, here we are. We're in the final segment of the break. We have cut the offense. Now it's time to cut the defense. And actually, the way I want to look at this is instead of breaking it down by position, I'm gonna do front seven and then the back half of the defense. And the reason why is because you know you can start playing these games of well, where are we gonna put Micah For the sake of a number let's not play those games.
Speaker 4: Let's say you know we were gonna play it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, y'all gonna play that game, all right now, y'all, y'all already gave me that indication. So we're not gonna play that game. So what we're gonna do is, I want you to talk me through who are the guys you're keeping on the defensive line and at linebacker position, and who are the notable cuts. All right, so let's start first.
Speaker 2: With you, Brian, Okay, well to keep to keep. Now this is where I went Land Williams Fowler. You want me to take the defensive tackles too, You want all the front seat.
Speaker 6: You can talk about him first as defensive ends, and then you can morph into the defensive tackles.
Speaker 2: Some as Mazzie Smith had tackled DeMarcus lords It in Georg's Armstrong it in Junior Fojoko at end, Hankins it tackle Osa at tackle, and Chauncey Golston is a tackle. Is what I did there, So that gave me ten defensive linemen.
Speaker 6: I one of the notable guys that were left off.
Speaker 2: The notable guys that I released off that list. I took off I took off third will notables Quentin Bohanna and Gallimore. With the two notables, everybody else Johnson, Alacon Wheat Baga goo Is that you say banga? That's uh. Those are the guys that I took off the list. But the notables I went to, Quentin Bohanna and Neville Gallimore.
Speaker 1: Off the list.
Speaker 6: You ready give up on those guys at this point I moved on, all right.
Speaker 4: This is interesting, all right.
Speaker 5: So I'm just going to give you the defensive line, all right, and so for me, you got tomorrow because Lawrence Mazzie Smith, Olso Diggi Zua, Michael Parsons that you can split hairs as he you.
Speaker 6: Know, de or I see linebacker, but he's he's there.
Speaker 5: Sam Williams, Jonathan Hankins, I kept Nevill Gallimore, Durrance Armstrong Junior for Hoko, Dante Fowler. Notable cuts for me, Quentin Bohanna and Chauncey Ghoston. So you are I'm keeping land, keeping land, so you're you're walking and Bohannah, Yeah, Quentin Bhannah and Chauncey Ghoston are my notable cuts. So Isaiah Lamb makes my fifty.
Speaker 6: Three man rocks okay, and where are your linebacker.
Speaker 5: Linebackers Layton vander Risch the Monk Clark. This is where it gets wow, because the problem I have is Jabrill Cox versus Devin Harper versus Milie Jefferson. Jefferson came on strong, Jack Warris went down with the foot injury.
Speaker 4: Didn't play since settlement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Devin Harper though, so it's Devin Harper versus Jabrill Cox.
Speaker 4: Three minimum.
Speaker 5: I'm probably running four because I lost to Marveion Overshown, So I keep Devin Harper and Jabril Cox, and then you're gonna you're gonna ask both of those guys to do especially Cox.
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 8: I just I hear.
Speaker 5: And started off camp very strong, which rolled off of a strong OTAs and mini camp. The back half of camp cool down a bit. But I wonder if that's true outright or if that's true contextually based on what we saw the Marveon overshan putting on the field, and then we looked at Jabril Cox and said, why aren't you doing what the rookie's doing. So it might be a combination of the two things, but losing to Marvion Overshown, I can't run light at linebacker. Even if I'm looking for Marquise Bell to try to contribute in that flex role, I still can't run like at true linebacker.
Speaker 2: That's a place I'm looking to claim. If I'm gonna probably claim players, I'm looking at linebackers.
Speaker 6: Because of the claim, because what you're really looking for are special teams guys that are the linebacker position. You can probably find those guys out on the guys on the waiver wire.
Speaker 2: They play so much dime, so much nickel on this team. I wonder it kind of it kind of swayed me. I moved on from Jabril Cox. I think there were some things. His strength is supposedly coverage, and there were times where he wasn't good in coverage, and there were times where you watch him play at the point of attack and he really wasn't good defending the run. So I that's just me. You know, I've not talked to anybody in the organization about that at all, but I kind of feel like that they'll they'll move on there.
Speaker 6: So you're thinking l ve Dmoon Clark are the only two you're keeping you and then obviously Mikeah if Micah is the line exactly.
Speaker 2: I think, to me, like I've listed I've listed Micah as a linebacker, is what I've done. So those three I've got, I've got Parsons, Clark Harper, Yeah, and then h vander Esh So I got four with the possibility of claiming some guys if I if I need to.
Speaker 8: See, I'm right with I like Bryan's list. The only guy that I don't think I'm ready to move on for from just yet it's Neville Gallimore. But then for that name, I'm not sure who am I taking off.
Speaker 5: It's probably gonna be it's Galimore versus Bohanna versus Chauncey Ghoston.
Speaker 4: That's kind of what it bes down to.
Speaker 8: And I think he's to me right now, he's slightly ahead of Bohanna, just because based on every time that I've looked, it's always been more of Gallimore that I've seen versus Bohanna, so that I think, yeah, that's that's the only change. And then my concerns about Jabriel Cox just from things that I've heard around the building, just mixed opinions about him, but totally agree as far as bodies, Yeah, you need it unless you bring in some other guy. That you pick up from another team.
Speaker 2: That's cut all right, real quick. I moved on from Bohanna and then also Gallimore. I don't want the excuses for not to play Mazzie Smith. That's what I'm thinking about.
Speaker 5: I think that moving on from but Hannah does eliminate that excuse. I don't know that releasing Gallimore would create that excuse. I think Gallimore's presence doesn't change the Massie Smith rep count for me.
Speaker 2: And well, that's I think Chauncey Golston would be my three or my UNDERDA. That's that's where I think Gallimore would be. But I don't want anybody telling me, oh, we've got two guys ahead of Mazzie Smithy. Just play him, you know, either figure out he's good enough or he's not. So I'm not going to leave an excuse.
Speaker 6: And I do wonder though, when you start thinking about it from that standpoint, like does that mean that you're gonna have to really count on Golsen to play a lot, because that at that point you only got I don't think Mazzi or Hankins are going to be lying up a three technique unless they're in a heavy format where they're really just trying to stop.
Speaker 2: It's funny where Mozzi's played some Why technique, Why three and some and it's actually looked pretty good doing it. Yeah, because he just gets you know it, just straight up, just right up the field kind of a thing.
Speaker 6: Do you think he might be there may be some opportunities for him and Hankins to be on the field same time.
Speaker 2: Exactly I'm keeping him? Is that one or that knows? But I also know that there's spend times where he has played a wide shade is what they call outside shoulder, and he's been okay. So but I I don't want to hear like there's two guys ahead of him and they don't want to play him. Play him, just play him and figure it out.
Speaker 6: See where he goes. All right, let's real quick. Get to the defensive backs, another tough position to cut. You got cornerbacks where you got Trayvon Diggs and Stefan Gilmour and Deron Bland and Jordan Lewis as probably your top four, and then a guy like C. J. Goodwin who's your special teamer. Do you go deeper than that or do you see yourself cutting people like Kelvin Joseph Nashaun Wright or Eric Scott.
Speaker 5: I go five cornerbacks obviously digs, Gilmore Bland, I activate join Lewis this week. There's my four in my fifth of CJ. Goodwin because he's your definitive special team days and you just don't move on from him, so.
Speaker 6: You move away from the Sean Wright, who's a guy that still is I think obviously somebody that you like practice squad.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I put him on I put would absolutely make it to the presers. I put right on the active roster for one day and I'm gonna put him on IR the next.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 2: It's what I'm gonna do. And then that way I could get him out of he I could just kind of keep him in the building. Yeah, I think there's some flexibility with Micualmou if you want to play it, or if.
Speaker 6: They did that last year for a game or two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Jordan, You're absolutely right everything I'm hearing about, Jordan Lewis. Is there the same plan that they did with Gallimore Gallop last year, you know, keep him active and let him get ready.
Speaker 6: Okay, what are you thinking about? So you both are are willing to part ways with both Kelvin Joseph and Eric Scott.
Speaker 5: Yes, I did, Yes, I think that while Eric Scott has had a strong camp as far as practices are concerned, as far as the games are concerned, he's been caught a few times with his eyes in the backfield, there's still some development there. I'm still high on the kid. I think that his ceiling is quite high, just not quite ready yet, but definitely earned a spot on the practice squad, developed him there more and I think he'll make an impact at some point before this year is over. Kelvin Joseph, you can try to get him on the practice squad as far as trying to save face on you know what point he was drafted in.
Speaker 4: He's shown some signs in the.
Speaker 5: Past couple of games, so at worst, you know, sure at the squad spot, because you're gonna need several cornerbacks when you practic squad.
Speaker 4: Anyway, And.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm ready to dang it. I hate I'm sorry, it's hard sometimes to be professional and separate, you know, feelings from what you see. But I do think despite some of the misses his hat, I do think that he's made somewhat of a jump and I'm talking about Kelvin Joseph here. I think he's grown and he is a guy that can possibly stay on your practice squad and not necessarily somebody's gonna come out. And the same thing goes to a lot of these guys on the back end that I think that they could be on the pice practice squad and not risk some other team come and pick it up or sign them, and you still have them at the tip of your hands whenever needed. But so how many guys was that total?
Speaker 6: I think we came up to five is what we're kind of Yeah, green is five is five is our number at cornerback. And then you got safety where you've got Donovan Wilson, Jaron Curse, and Malie Hooker. You know it will be here. You assume Marquise Bell will be a part of that mix as well. So that's at four. Then you would also assume Isral mcwamo's probably in that mix. What happens to guys like juan Ye, Thomas or Tyler Coyle? Uh So where do you go with the safety position?
Speaker 2: I went along there. I went My guys are Wilson, Yeah, Wilson, Curse, Hooker, Thomas, Bell, is what I went there, and you let mcwamoe go mcwama. What I have is that corner safety. So he's gonna be in the mix. He's gonna make the team, but you're not putting in either position. Yes, exactly, same thing kind of how we look at Chauncey. Chauncey Golston absolutely got he knowed it.
Speaker 5: That's exactly where I am with it because the reason I only ran five at corner is because I know is he gives me flexibility between safety and cornerback. But in doing so, I gotta run along in safety.
Speaker 8: So you got the whole linebackers, right.
Speaker 5: It's same with Marquise Bell. You know is he linebacker? Is he a safety? So that makes me run long at safety? So you got the top three hooker, Dono and Curse, and then behind him, behind them you got Marquise Bell, Israel Mukuamu, Yes, yeah, you agree with that?
Speaker 6: Ambery, Yes, all right? And I think for our specialist see Godbrey Anger, we feel certain though made the team. Yeah, are you guys happy about that? That that field goal? I thought that made me just at least know he's got the power. Now you know, fifty nine yards is fifty nine yard. But he has the power if you get in one of those game situations where he has the ability to do it, and that makes you, that makes you a little bit intrigued.
Speaker 5: I say, I say he earned his spot, he made the team. Does that mean that I'm saying that his spot for the year is completely locked in? No, because I think Jerry Jones has a little bit of PTSD from the Brett Mayer situation. So if if bretton all be heaven forbid, goes out there and start missing starting, you know, the miss extra points at some point in the season, then it's kind of iffy. But as we have these roster cuts, Yeah, the kid has absolutely earned his butt.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think he closed the preseason very nicely, because going into week two of the preseason I was still having doubts or as far as like I didn't get to see enough of him, The Cowboys didn't give him enough opportunities, and you know, it depends how the game is going and all that. But I think that last game at home against the Raiders kind of put a bow on that and made me feel a lot better for the start of the season.
Speaker 6: That is a rap and we wish the best of luck to all those folks out there today who will be losing their jobs. Let's also remember that, but goodluck to them, and we'll be back on Thursday. We'll have more talk, will kind of dissect what the Cowboys did with their roster, maybe even the signings that they may make. We'll talk about all that on Thursday, and then next week we get you started. We were into the season until then. For Brian brought us Patrick Walker, Amber Garcia. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 9: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas cow Boys Football Club.