Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Meet Friday. Pablo Torre, He's uncovered more Kawhi Leonard's secrets. Apparently he'll join us momentarily. Rick new Heisel, college football analyst, will join us. We'll talk about a couple of things, including coaches who don't necessarily do the research to vote in the Coaches Poll, but we do place a whole lot of emphasis on that. And we'll talk to Rick. He had three different stops, Colorado, UCLA, and Washington. Did he actually do all the fact finding when he voted in the College Football Coaches Poll? Also, I got to bring out the athletic director at Perdue and how would he feel if he was the head coach at Purdue and your athletic directors basically calling out Indiana, go there. If you don't want to win championships, you can stay here to win championships. Eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot Com, Twitter handle at DP shows stat of the Day brought to you by Patini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show, w n b A on NBC and Peacock. It'll be Page, Becker's and the Wings taking on Olivia, Miles and the Lynx, the w NBA Live on NBC, and Peacock It's a meat Friday, Dylan, give us the rundown on the menu.
Speaker 3: Well, Dan, we've got a Cajun theme today, So you got black and chicken and Cajun shrimp, Cajun cream, pasta, jambalaya, and cheddar biscuits.
Speaker 2: Who has it better than we do? Nobody? Man, that's perfect, I know, but I don't know. You guys should have been on the edge of your toes there, Like when I say who has it been? Like, you're already leaning into the microphone. Who has it better than we?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: You should have even jumped me? Who has it better?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Serious grillers choose rectech, more heat, more consistent temperature control, more stainless steel, rectech wood fired grills, built like a tank, built to last. Visit rectech dot com r e c t eq dot com. Nothing compares to cooking on a rectech. I just saw this. This is from John Rand. He is a well respected media insider. He keeps an eye on sports TV. He works for Puck and apparently he spoke with several sports media executives, The consensus across the industry is Tony Romo won't be back with CBS. Now, this is you know, research of asking people their opinions. I just care about what CBS says, because you could have somebody from Fox or ESPN say, oh, I don't think he'll be back. I want to know what CBS thinks because had this been early in Tony Romo's broadcasting career, they're not getting rid of Tony Romo. But I think because that he's been taking some hits by the media and his approach to the game maybe being as thorough as he once was, that's why he is vulnerable. So seventy two million dollars over the last four years of his contract, and there's going to be other analysts who are going to be available, because I think you've got some free agents here in the waiting. CBS is probably going to go with JJ Watt at least this first upcoming season, pair him with Nance and Tracy Wolfson. But if you start to look at a bigger picture here, Greg Olsen, Troy Aikman, and Kirk Herbstreet all can be potential free agents after this upcoming season. So CBS could have options if they need options with Tony Romo. I would hope he would get another chance after something like that. Certainly embarrassing for him, but looks like CBS the consensus is that they will not have Tony Romo back. Pablo Tory uncovers Kawhi Leonard's other hidden secret sponsorship. Here tonight, Pablo Tory finds out releases its latest installment of the saga that continues to linger here over the Clippers and the NBA. All right, so what's the update here and what does that mean bigger picture?
Speaker 6: Pablo Hi Dan, we are brought together once again by an alleged secret sponsorship deal for Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 7: Always good to.
Speaker 2: See you like this.
Speaker 6: What we're reporting is that two days after I published Part one of mine now thirteen part investigation, which I say, knowing how ridiculous that sounds, I'll fully cop to it. This is a thirteen part serialized novel at this point, but it's actually an investigation right as an investigative series. And two days after we dropped part one, what happened was I got a tip saying that there is another secret sponsorship for Kawhi Leonard, that was one thousand percent. That is a quote, one thousand percent designed to circumvent the salary cap. And I've spent the last eleven months trying to fact check that, confirm it, further report the story of why that would be, how it would be, And it turns out that yes, according to our reporting, we have two sources, two high level sources, one who was under contract with the Clippers into a dome project, the other a former Clippers high level source. They both say that the JumboTron manufacturer, Daktronics, which you may not know by name, but you certainly know by sight, Dan, why are you laughing? Jumbo tron manufacturers are very very famous. Obviously this one, this one is the one that built the Halo board. This is the one hundred million dollar project that Steve Baumer built to create the greatest jumbo tron and human history. And Kawhi Leonard, accord to our reporting, had a secret, unannounced no evidence that he did anything for it, multimillion dollar sponsorship for that company, which and I'll just beg one more bit of time here, because Daktronics had never hired a celebrity spokesperson or sponsor or endorser or partner like this before or since, and so hard to explain Otherwise I would.
Speaker 2: Say, given these sponsorship deals and his salary, how much money was Kawhin Leonard making a year?
Speaker 7: Well, it is.
Speaker 6: It's a number that we're constantly chasing, and that is constantly changing, which is why we chase it.
Speaker 7: Look, he was, of course a max player in the NBA.
Speaker 6: What's interesting though, in that this timeframe we're talking about is actually after Aspiration collapses. So we're looking at twenty twenty three, and Aspiration is going bankrupt. It's under federal investigation by the end of that year. And so that deal, I'll just remind people, was twenty eight million dollars under contract for a no show endorsement deal that was never announced.
Speaker 7: If this is it's doning familiar, let me know.
Speaker 6: And also a twenty million dollar equity deal in the company that was guaranteed to him. So that's forty eight million dollars in total value that was guaranteed to Kawhi Leonard on top of his NBA contract.
Speaker 7: And that's just that.
Speaker 6: But Aspiration, according to our reporting, is struggling to make the payments in twenty twenty three, of course, and what happens next is the story of these last two episodes we've now done. And what's so interesting, Dan, And I'll answer your question in this context. January twenty twenty four comes around and Kawhi Leonard does something shocking to NBA media. Certainly he takes less than the max. And so if you just put this all together, right, a guy who truly is here to earn as much as he possibly can and beyond, decides to take less from the Clippers to extend and in January of twenty twenty four, while also still being owed money from this team sponsor, Aspiration, which according to the bankruptcy filing we obtained, owes him at least seven million dollars. And so why and how does he do that? Is what leads me to the story of Daktronics. And so we don't know how many millions of dollars we're in the Daktronics deal. We are actively, of course, interested in finding that number. But when you're talking about what was he paid beyond the cap, we're talking about the largest alleged salary caps or convention scheme in the history of sports. Right, We're talking about something that ranges into the fifty plus million dollars, if that would be a reasonable projection beyond what he was allowed to be paid. That's just based on inferences on our reporting.
Speaker 2: Which brings me to when you request to speak to the Clippers owner Steve Balmer, the response is what.
Speaker 6: The Clippers have stopped responding to our request for comment. We tell them what's going to be in the episodes. For months now they've stopped responding. They used to say stuff like this is all provably false. And I've learned in the story Dan that words are very carefully chosen by lawyers. I didn't go to law school, didn't make it to that point, but I've been told that words are important in legal proceedings. Provably false is a big claim, and it's been it's August seventh, I believe, and it's been eleven to twelve months, right, a year almost that we've been waiting to show how this is provably false. What I started reporting with aspiration, that's now into a second hidden sponsorship.
Speaker 2: And so we.
Speaker 6: Always ask, and what's so interesting about this story? Because request for comment is really important to us to get it right. We went to Daktronics. We went to the company itself and asked all of these questions. And what our colleague and collaborator, Sam Koppleman learned is that Daktronics wanted a The first response was, here's our general counsel talk to them. And Kawhi Leonard had not even been mentioned yet, so it's like, okay, so something already.
Speaker 2: They're on alert.
Speaker 6: Then they send us to a crisis comms firm, and you love when those enter the room because apparently there's now a crisis, and we still are wondering what do they think the crisis is, because we have a sense, but we haven't even started talking about that yet. And that crisis comes from and this is really important. They say two things that I want to quote for you here. One is quote, my understanding is Daktronics doesn't have a deal with Kawhi right now, and I think the tense of right now is a useful thing to handle a lantern on for a second here, So right now is the tense that they stand behind on the record. The second sentence they say is, quote, I don't know what the company. This is the crisis comes firm. I don't know what the company Daktronics wants to say or can say, given the Walk Tell investigation.
Speaker 7: End quote, and that is the crisis.
Speaker 6: Comms firm volunteering the name of the law firm that the NBA hired to invest gate the Clippers for secret no show sponsorships for Kawhi Leonard. And so at this point you're like, Okay, you're realizing this is of great interest to Dectronics.
Speaker 7: They're familiar with this investigation.
Speaker 6: In fact, they've been managing the crisis of it before we called. And so now when it comes to getting questions and responses about did you have any proof that Kawi did anything? How much was the deal for, when did it start, there is no further comment or response.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering, though, how this plays out if these things are true. The NBA. You start with, Steve Balmer, I don't know what you can do with Kawhi Leonard, but give me the scenario or scenarios that you think that how this plays out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so all of this got phenomenally I think concrete and tangible. When the trade Kawhi Leonard is traded from the Clippers to the Raptors to the team by the way that originally alleged in twenty nineteen that Kawhi Leonard and Dennis Robertson his uncle unlicensed agent, had requested benefits beyond the salary cap in violation.
Speaker 7: Of the CBA. These include no show jobs.
Speaker 6: These include equity in the companies that they were hoping to get in business with through the team. So the Raptors, I say that to say, the Raptors know the backstage of this with unusual clarity, as that timeline twenty nineteen is concerned, and so they want a trade for Kawhi Leonard. But what happens is, of course the trade is frozen. And what I've been told and what has now been reported, is that the change is that the NBA puts in front of the Raptors a piece of paper that effectively indemnifies the NBA, the league itself, and the Clippers from any legal resource or negotiation if there are punishments specific to Kawhi Leonard, because those punishments will travel with the player to Toronto. If you pay X, you're getting whatever Kawhi ends up being post punishment, And the Raptors, in their perhaps eternal wisdom and this backdrop, say then we're not signing this and therefore the trade is not proceeding, and so that trade has been frozen for weeks obviously, and so the question of like what happens next is when is this ruling gonna come down? Will this ruling speak to the things that I've been publicly reporting, that have been vetted by now of course months of careful investigation in multiple sources. Will that ruling speak to those things? Will there be a punishment, Will the raptors want to proceed with this deal? And if there is a punishment beyond Kawhi Leonard, because again that's specific to Kawhi alone, how does this possibly avoid touching the richest owner in American sports? Steve Bober, the guy who was across every bit of this, and Dan, perhaps in the superlative I gave him, you can detect some of the cynicism and the concern that when you're the richest owner in American sports, the game you're playing, even in legal recourse and certainly punishment, it is different from even the normal billionaires that you might have to deal with as commissioner.
Speaker 2: Has the NBA's investigators talked to you? They reached out months ago. I met with them.
Speaker 6: I handed them a bunch of paperwork, particular to aspiration, signed contracts, financial documents, and I encourage them to take all of it as seriously as they can, because I think there's a lot more here. Even then I can get to as a guy who has you know, Dan Lebetard as his bleeping boss and one lawyer helping me.
Speaker 8: So we don't.
Speaker 6: Exactly have the resources of a multinational, you know, enterprise. But I think that walktell In listening to the podcast, has a lot to go on, and my hope is that they're doing exactly that.
Speaker 2: Any chance Steve Baumer is in jeopardy of losing the Clippers being able to own them.
Speaker 6: I think the question is an Adam Silver question, right, And this is what's so interesting. Adam Silver is not his mentor, David Stern. Adam Silver is actually the guy who welcomes Steve balmer In in replacement of Donald Sterling and was hailed as this almost Aristotelian, brilliant progressive leader in comparison to all the other commissioners Roger Goodell namely at that time. And so now he is bookending perhaps his tenure with the same guy being an even bigger problem, a complicated problem, and so if you're Adam Silver and in twenty nineteen when you cleared the Clippers and Steve Balmer of cap cir convention after investigating the Raptors claims and the Lakers claims, what you've done, by the way on the record to say salary caps or convention is the cardinal rule of the NBA. And I think underpinning all of this Dan the moment we're in with sports gambling as the NBA balances a gambling scandal, an investigation that we've been covering on the show as well, when they're balancing all of the other caps airt convention theories out there. Gary Trent Junior as being the latest hypothesis someone has is the question of whether the rules matter and if you break the rules as have been alleged by multiple episodes here of my show and now elsewhere, the question is, how do you possibly make it so that the cardinal rule is actually treated like it and so by any standard of fake NBA law because these are all fake laws. These are all collectively bargain rules that you got to enforce. I think everything should be on the table realistically in terms of the money and if you follow it I think there's a very real chance that Steve Baumer emerges relatively unscathed, which is kind of insane to me according to my reporting.
Speaker 2: Great stuff, Pablo, thanks for joining us as always, and good luck with Dan Levittard.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna need all of it Dan, as you know with him, so appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Pablo Tory finds out with meadow Lark Media. We'll take a break here. Rick new Heisel, former college coach, now an analyst. He's got some things to answer, including how would he feel if he was the head coach at Florida Purdue and his athletic director came out and started firing some slings and arrows at Indiana Football. Rick's gone through this before himself. Take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: And in addition to hearing us live week nights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel, for the show.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 10: You can now watch the Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 9: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribed.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the latest Super Bowl odds by DraftKings. The Rams are an overwhelming favorite plus five point fifty. Then it's the Bills and the Ravens at plus one thousand, the defending champion Seahawks plus eleven hundred. Then it's the Eagles, Patriots, and Chiefs all at plus sixteen hundred. I think if I was going to try to make some money off this, I'd probably look at the Eagles, and I'd look at the Lions as well. I don't know what the Lions odds are, Dylan, if you could check on that. But you got everybody back, everybody's healthy, everybody's in camp, and man, they take care of their players. When you look at extending their players, They've done this on a consistent basis, Yes, Dylan, Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the Lions are nineteen to one to win, tied with the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I don't know if you guys want to get down on that, but I kind of like the Lions as an underdog this year. Anybody with me on that?
Speaker 3: Yes, Dylan, Yeah, I think a light dusting might be in order on the Lions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sprinkle. If you look at the Lions, they they produce on draft night. So, Jamiir Gibbs, he just got extended. Aiden Hutchinson got extended, Jack Campbell got extended. I'm on Ross Saint Brown got extended, Penney Sewell got extended, Jamison Williams got extended, Kirby Joseph got extended. I mean that is an impressive track record of drafting players and you know, keeping them and extending them, giving them another contract. Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: And if you go back to that draft where they took Jack Campbell the middle linebacker and Jamiir Gibbs higher than he should have been, they got critiqued for those.
Speaker 2: Decisions, criticized. Yes, Rick Neuheisel set to join us. Before he does, I want to play the sound from the Purdue athletic director and where he's calling out Indiana sports.
Speaker 4: Every recruit, every current student athlete will hear this message repeatedly.
Speaker 2: We are here to win championships. If you don't want to win championships, go to Indiana. Okay, that's Tommy McClellan, the Purdue athletic director, being introduced as the perdue athletic director. It's spent I think twenty years at Rice Springing. Rick new Heisel, former college coach at UCLA and Washington and Colorado, now a CBS analyst. How would you feel if your Purdue's head coach, Barry Odom after you hear that from your athletic director.
Speaker 4: I feel exactly like I did what I was at UCLA and Peak Harrold had things going at sc and they put out a full page ad the La Times the monopoly is over. I was like, hey, easy now, easy now, Yeah, it is a one way to start. Tommy's not afraid.
Speaker 2: But were you told about the ad in the La Times the monopo Oh?
Speaker 4: I was actually I was actually apologized to We don't need to put that kind of heat on you. I said, hey, let's own it. Let's go, but let's get the resources. Don't take a knife to a gunfight. Let's so we'll see how Barryodam does, hopefully better than he did when he was aboard that bowl, when he was in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: How how did u CLA do against USC that year?
Speaker 4: Not well, twenty eight seven got stuffed. Yeah, it was unfortunate. We didn't exactly have the resources. I called out the coaches earlier this week. You know, you have the Coach's Poll, and I said, the people who watch the least amount of college football are coaches, because you can't. You only care about the opponent you had and the opponent coming up. Who voted when you were at UCLA, Washington, Colorado? Who voted in the coaches poll for you?
Speaker 8: It was always our sports information guy.
Speaker 4: It was Dave Platty at Colorado, Mark Dellen's at UCLA, Jim Daves at Washington, those guys, you know, keeping track.
Speaker 8: They'd bring me a list.
Speaker 4: I'd say, we'll move these guys one spot and away we go.
Speaker 8: Because you're right, there is no time to.
Speaker 4: Spend surveying everybody else in the country. You've got to just look after your own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you don't want to walk into a press conference and have somebody blindside you and say why did this school get a first place vote from you and you not be aware of it?
Speaker 4: No, exactly right, and now that they put your name on it. At the end, maybe you better know exactly what the hell went on that list, but yeah, you don't have time for that.
Speaker 8: That is absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: Let me go back to Indiana and the run that they had. How sustainable is this?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not gonna put anything past Kurt Signetti because what he's done has been incredible.
Speaker 8: The Church of Signetti is full.
Speaker 4: Parishioners come from far and wide now to watch what is taking place there. The Mendoza story is one for the ages. The sixteen and o story is one for the ages. I can't remember a more surprising something happening in sport than that that was in my lifetime.
Speaker 8: That was just incredible.
Speaker 4: You know, the Indiana program that was worse, had more losses than anybody else in the history of college football. To go sixteen and oh and win against the formidable teams that they just and to beat Alabama thirty eight to three. I actually said thirty five to three when I had Signetti in the chair at the Big Ten media days, and he corrected me, thirty eight to three.
Speaker 8: Yeah, don't take that field goal from me.
Speaker 4: Oregon and then Miami in Miami, it is a run for the age. Is remarkable to say the least brought I think they. I think I think Hoover's, you know, reasonable replacement for Mendoza. We'll see if he can keep from having the the errant you know, turnover. If he if he if he cleans that up, they're going to be They're gonna be good again.
Speaker 2: Talking to former coach Rick Neuheisel, CBS Sports College Football analyst, I was mentioning the coaches top ten and I was putting price tags their roster next to their ranking. Right, you got to be spending at least forty million. Some next year we're going to be knocking on the door going past fifty million dollars. The return on investment, Like, how sustainable is this for these schools to be spending this kind of money.
Speaker 8: Well, that's a fascinating question.
Speaker 4: I think we're going to be in a survival of the fittest until the new television contracts come up, which is around twenty thirty. I think we're just in an era where we're just dealing with that. You can see that private equity is kind of sniffing around. You see the stories out of LSU and what they're talking about doing down there. I think everybody's having these conversations. We can't go very much longer. The numbers are going crazy. Brian Kelly just joined us at CBS. He says the numbers at noted aimer fifty million. So and he's sitting there going, I couldn't get a penny out of them for a long time while I was sitting there trying to get facilities built.
Speaker 8: But it is.
Speaker 4: A wild wild West, as it's been dubbed many times.
Speaker 8: It's crazy out there.
Speaker 2: Well, the President urging Congress to pass the Protect College Sports Act before recess here, how important is that act to pass?
Speaker 8: I think it's a huge deal.
Speaker 4: And now that the big ten in the SEC have put their endorsement on the bill, it would be wonderful to get that done. But it has to happen today because they go on recess this afternoon, and if they don't get that done, there's going to be other things that are more important when they come back with the midterms coming up.
Speaker 2: I saw where you were working with Brendan Sorosby, the former quarterback of Texas Tech. Now I don't know what working means. I know that your former college quarterback and you coach quarterbacks in the NFL. How are you or were you working with Brendan Soorsby.
Speaker 8: All I did then is I reached out to him.
Speaker 4: I felt terribly for how he had become in the eye of the storm, you know, the kind of the focal point. I think the bigger issue obviously he did something that was wrong. Can't bet on your own team. He didn't do it while he was playing. He had a phone where he got into it and you know, started betting on balls and strikes, and you know it, got away from it and hopefully that's behind him. But I remember having been kind of put into the public scorn for having been in a basketball pool, and I became very bitter about who would you know, throw me to the wolves for doing something that's so commonplace. And I just wanted to tell Brennan and his father that bitterness only impacts you. Just just just move on. There'll be a better day, and you just got to be confident that that day will come. And I'm hoping that he can get to the Senior Bowl a year from now, that he can get to uh, you know, the im by and show his wares. And obviously I'm coaching in that UFL if we're a place that he wanted to go. Remember Hunter Decker's the kid who couldn't play at Iowa State any longer for a similar deal, ended up being a quarterback in Houston for Kevin someone. And now I think he's in the New Orleans Saints camp, so there's going to be a better day for him. I just wanted to reach out and say, you know, this isn't so much about you. It was about all that was going on. There was a little bit of jealousy about how much money Texas Tech had, and so it became a big story that he just happened to be the target. And I just wanted him to know there will be better days. Don't get caught up and who got you?
Speaker 8: Just move on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I suggested, just like I did to Pete Rose, if you want to give back, you want to show an act of contrition. Volunteer to go around to colleges and even high schools and just say and have people film it, like you can make this some positive if you want to. Pete never did that, and I believe if he had done that, falling on his sword, he probably would have gotten on the ballot to go into the Hall of Fame, and maybe maybe Soresby gets a chance, you know, to prove that he can still play football.
Speaker 4: He's a nice kid. I enjoyed talking to him. His father is a nice guy. I'm hopeful that that can be the case. And you know, he actually wanted to stay for a time at Texas Tech and be the scout team quarterback, but it felt like he was going to be two munchs of a distraction. So he's just working out and fingers crossed that something good happens for him here down alone and if it was a gambling addiction, that that's behind him.
Speaker 2: The most pressure to win this year? Which college coach would you say, I'm looking at you.
Speaker 4: Or there's a lot of pressure on Lincoln Riley because the Trojans have never been to the college Football Playoff and they feel like they've got all the pieces this year, you know, they have to get back into the elite category where I think the Trojan fans believe they should be a lot of pressure on in my mind, Steve's Sarkeesian because Texas has everything. I would say the same at for Dan Lanning with Dante Moore coming back, but maybe the most pressure given the schedule, given what is going on is Notre Dame. Marcus Freeman has it all. He's got this CJ. Carr, who everybody said at the Manning Passing Academy was the best guy there, and he's got a schedule that might be as ready made. I mean, he's supposed to be like a double digit favorite until November Miami comes to town.
Speaker 8: That's going to be an epic game.
Speaker 4: If you beat him in front of the home crowd, then you go to BYU and then you have SMU coming to town. We'll wait and see what the Mustangs look like. But that's a schedule that's manageable. It'll be interesting to see. And if Marcus Freeman manages it and keeps that nor theirn Illinois game from happening, the Irish are going to be right there.
Speaker 2: I'd say, Lane Kiffin, you know that game against Old miss now, I know.
Speaker 4: My goodness, don't you want to just walk in with him to the grove now?
Speaker 2: So I don't know what's going to happen. When I'm going to steer clear, I'm going to be as far away from Lane when he watched in that.
Speaker 4: That is going to be the most anticipated pregame in the history of football.
Speaker 2: He'll eat it up.
Speaker 8: He'll eat it up.
Speaker 2: We'll talk soon.
Speaker 8: Thanks, abut the all the best, buddy.
Speaker 2: It's Rick new Heisel. Yeah, I forgot about that when he was with UCLA. And you have the rivalry, or at least you want to present yourself as having a rivalry with USC at the time, with Pete Carroll, and you wake up and somebody said, hey, did you see the advertisement that UCLA took out in the La Times The football monopoly in Los Angeles is officially over. And it's a picture of Rick new Heisel and it's got UCLA there. You don't even run it by, Rick, because that might be where you go. You know, maybe let's hold off on this. It's nice to have, you know, how about some inner confidence. We don't need to exude it right away and send a shot across the bow there with USC. Good stuff. But the Soresby thing was interesting as well because Rick went through this. He did one of those office pools at the University of Washington and ended up winning I think a couple of thousand dollars. But you know, at the time it was a big deal. He was like, oh my god, college coach gambling. Well, it was on a different sport, and it was one of those office things. I don't know the punishment of that, PAULI, but I remember Rick faced a lot of scrutiny because of that. But I remember that that was a really big deal. And I think that's what Rick is saying, Hey, don't be petty with this, you know, don't hold on to it. Try to move on from this gambling situation. And Brendan Sorosby will hopefully get that opportunity. All Right, we'll take a break. It's a meat Friday. If you're watching on Peacock, you can see all of the good stuff out there in the rectech thrilling area. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Last goal for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store for Monday. Kirk kurb Street will join us on the program on Monday. I know that we've been talking about Indiana and Purdue. We were talking more Indiana Purdue football. After the Purdue athletic director called out Indiana. I ask Dylan can you find the March Madness title odds? Why don't we start projecting looking forward to basketball with Indiana and Purdue, which school has better odds to win the national championship? If you said Indiana, you would be correct at plus five thousand, Purdue at plus fifty five hundred. Florida and Duke are your co favorites right now, followed by Connecticut and Illinois. Let me see trip in Vegas. Trip, thanks for holding What do you have for me today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 8: Good, good morning DP.
Speaker 11: Always good to speak with y'all. So yesterday you were talking about horse names for your horse. However, I've come up with three names. If Todd was a horse, so he would either be the dan At Donkey, the back row Borough or a double callback the no joke, slow folk. Y'all have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Thank you Trip for daily roast trips. Got it out for you? What is that all about? I still think I have no idea, but I'm still good on. Thank you Todd for my horse. If I get that opportunity to suggest a name to what do they call the group? Though, Dylan, you know, not a consortium, but what's it called? When you get a bunch of people who are investing in a horse. Is there like a one word? Yeah, there you go. Thank you. You can take off the Purdue hat if you want to. I mean you've you've been wearing it in support of the Boilermakers for most of the show. I'm sure they value your support. Ben and Iowa, Hi, Ben, What do you have for me today?
Speaker 8: All right, steep and harmony. How are we doing? Guys?
Speaker 2: Hey, listen.
Speaker 10: So I was just curious and maybe somebody's brought this up. I'm coming to you from the land of cyclones and hawk guys. Having to explain to people that I'm an Indiana football fan for the last thirty some years of my life has been just nauseating. And then all of a sudden, now we're flipping around, and now I'm having to explain to people that I'm not a bandwagon jumper.
Speaker 8: It's weird, right, It's just hard to do well.
Speaker 10: I was born in Indianapolis and then we moved here when I was a real young kid. So I have a question for you guys. Do you guys know maybe somebody's booked this up, Maybe somebody's brought it up.
Speaker 11: Do you guys know how many.
Speaker 10: Championships are between Indiana University and per don't university? U?
Speaker 8: What is it?
Speaker 2: Twenty five for Indiana, three for Purdue. Is that the latest math on this? I believe so Indiana used to have great swimming teams as well, but you know these are national championships. The athletic director didn't specify what sport we were talking about. Uh, let me see.
Speaker 5: How about this day in sports history? Paul I got one fun one for you Dan. Nineteen oh seven, Senator's pitcher Walter Johnson made his major league debut. He pitched in the majors for twenty one seasons. Guess how many complete games he had as a starter five hundred and thirty one complete games in his career, five thirty one and one hundred and ten shoutouts in twenty one seasons.
Speaker 2: No really pitching on this date. In nineteen ninety nine, Wade Bogs got his three thousandth hit. He was the first ever to hit a home run for his three thousandth Derek Cheter ended up doing that, but also on this date. In twenty sixteen, each Hero had his three thousandth career hit. It was a triple. Now, I don't know how many other players. Maybe back in the old days when you know, there were a lot more triples in the game, But I don't know how many players had a triple other than each Heiro for their three thousandth hit. Let's see Fresh in Milwaukee, Yeah, PAULI, it's each Heiro and Paul molletor the only two in history to do it. Oh home, my dad, day, Fresh in Milwaukee.
Speaker 12: The day?
Speaker 2: Here comes that cost out of the day. What Hey, Fresh, what do you have for me today?
Speaker 12: Hey, DP, got a quick one for you. And the Dannich NFL season coming up? I just want to know what which NFL head coach or player needs a ring this season to completely reshape how history and Canton will view their career.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see, yes, Marvin Dan Campbell.
Speaker 9: He will be immortalized if he brings the Super Bowl to the Lions.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about a player anybody who needs to solidify Now we can say Josh Allen, Mark Jackson, but uh about aside from those yes, Dylan.
Speaker 3: Uh in the Dan Campbell van Jared Goff wouldn't hurt. It's actually after you know, obviously going to the Super Bowl with the Rams and losing. I think if he wins some one with the Lions, that's it's compelling.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that feels like it's going to be more valuable than just one super Bowl if the Lions would happen to win. And I don't know why they're not higher up on the list. I know that their division is more competitive, but the Lions, it was about health. They got weapons, you got experience. They've certainly learned. If it's true, you have to learn to lose or learn, you know, to get through losing. Detroit's well versed in that. Let's go around the room. What we learned on the program? Todd, what'd you learn today?
Speaker 12: Alabama used toory successfully run the football, was ranked one hundred and twenty fourth nationally in rushing yards last season.
Speaker 2: Nikes, Dylan, what did you learn? Cake and champagne ain't gonna cut it for a wedding dinner. No, No, the result was really bad. Casualties, Marvin, you can't catch a lisp.
Speaker 5: Paul Carson Beck Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: My thanks to Anthony who kept me company up here. We'll talk to you on Monday from the man Cave in Mean