Speaker 1: The most unique NBA podcast is out on Odyssey. Peak Check with Trista Kriik is funnier, edgier, and more insightful than wherever You're getting your NBA entertainment from.
Speaker 2: Fire, Absolute fire.
Speaker 3: Anyone who can put four carrot diamonds all around his suit plastered on and so on.
Speaker 2: This man knew he was going number one.
Speaker 1: Hilarious insights, incredible interview and opinions others don't have the courage to say. Peak Check with Trista Kriik can be found on the Odyssey and wherever you get your favorite podcast.
Speaker 3: No organization seen as more first class than.
Speaker 2: The San Antonio Spurs.
Speaker 3: They are held up as one of the best organizations in the league in terms of talent evaluation, in terms of development, in terms of coaching, in terms of success. There are more head coaches in the NBA right now that come from the Greg Popovich tree than anyone else in the league. They are the gold standard of pop r c Buford. First class organization exactly the words that de Jontay Murray once used to describe the team when he was traded to the Hawks last week.
Speaker 2: I think that was last week. That's why and that's what makes.
Speaker 3: This new news so bizarre. So we know this is what we know if you're paying attention. Spurs are currently in tank mode. We know this why every piece that they had on their team that was of any value they've moved off of. They've gotten away from LaMarcus Aldridge, they got rid of DeMar Derosen, they got rid of Derek White, they got rid of de Jon sat Murray, they got rid of Lonnie Walker, all in the span of a little more than a year.
Speaker 2: That's not for no reason.
Speaker 3: They are tanking for a guy named Victor Wambayana Wamba wem Banana, wem Banyama.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Seven to five, Kid out of Paris plays like knowing you've ever seen, and they want So that's fair. And they're probably going to be rebuilding for a minute because they're getting a lot of first first round draft picks and they're trading off these pieces. So the final shoot to drop where we knew they were tanking for real, for real was Dejonte. Many people thought, oh, even if they're rebuilding, they'll build around de Jonte. He's like the SGA for Oklahoma City. Wrong, that's wrong. This is when we know that's their plan. No, we're not maxing out de jontey. He's on a totally different timeline than Victor wamba Yama. There's no reason and they know this. There's more team should know this. There's no reason to be a ten seat in the West. There's no reason to be a ten seat in the East. You should either be the bottom or you should be striving for the top.
Speaker 2: In the middle area, you're just.
Speaker 3: Getting like the tenth or eleventh pick in the draft, which is probably no. One very good, and you're just in the land of mediocrity. You might as well go full rebuild at that point, which is what they're doing. Tank for a high draft pick, sell your assets off for future draft capital, which you can either package for a star or someone who you think is going to be a star, and then figure out a way to get back to the pinnacle.
Speaker 2: So everything seemed fine.
Speaker 3: Dejonte seem fine with it. He said many nice things. He said he was elated to be playing with Tray Young, that they wanted to play with one another, he wanted to play in Atlanta, who is currently in win now mode, and that he loved his time in San Antonio and a story, right, No, not in a story curiously, in what initially seemed at first glance like a departure from tank mode, the San Antonio Spurs signed Caldon Johnson, a twenty two year old player that casual fans probably have no idea who he is, to a four year, seventy four million dollar deal, a very big deal, and a deal similar to de Jontay Murray's original deal, a deal that would signify to those who weren't paying attention that maybe Caldon Johnson was the future of the Spurs, and maybe they were using him as their new de jon Taymurray, their new centerpiece to what they were building.
Speaker 2: Younger, cheaper, and an Olympian.
Speaker 3: But dumb fans can't peep that this is what's not happening in San Antonio. They have decided to structure his deal to make him another trade piece.
Speaker 2: Right, So this troll.
Speaker 3: Said, try to get under Dejontay Murray's skin on ig and it worked. He said, bye bye fly, little birdie, good luck getting to the second round.
Speaker 2: At least we got picks.
Speaker 3: And we're building around Keldon. Dejonte decided, fuck taking the high road, I'm gonna pop back. I'm going to air out what's going on in San Antonio. I'm gonna take back everything I ever said nice about this team. He said, the way that system is set up, you're gonna be losing for the next fifteen years. It's a problem bigger than basketball. Then when another fan said that he would regret leaving like Kawhi, he responded with four laughing emojis and said, you're mad lmao, followed by a clown emoji. A problem bigger than basketball.
Speaker 2: Sheesh. I did a little.
Speaker 3: Digging, and I'll give you my thoughts in a second, but I want to talk really quickly about this Keldon Johnson deal and why de Jontay Murray should not feel salty about Calden getting this money right now. Caldon's seventy four million dollar contract is set up where he's paid less and less money over time, so the back end of his contract is actually cheaper than what he's getting right now. So Keldon will be significantly underpaid in years three and four compared to what the market will be. Specifically, considering that we're going to get a new CBA agreement with larger salary casts and a seventeen million dollar player is probably going to be some guy that's basically a two AG league guy. People are gonna get getting paid like ninety million dollars a year, So seventeen in the Kelvin Johnson schemes of things pretty ideal. So now they have control over Calvin Johnson for another four years, and they'll most likely trade them in three years time for three future firsts, just like they did Jonte So of course in this day and age. De Jon taytmurray then deleted his comments screencaps will live forever. He then clarified his statement a few hours later by tweeting, you have no clue how deeply I love the fans and we'll do whatever for real fans. Me saying what I said had nothing to do with the fans. All that inside shit, fake though, for real, for real. So he's like, Yo, all that stuff I said about san Antonio, I still stand by that shit. They are whack problems bigger than basketball. They're gonna be terrible for fifteen years. Probably the biggest sorry not sorry tweet I've seen in the long ass time. Yeah, I meant everything I said about san Antonio. That organization sucks. They're really the worst team to play for period, for real, for real, and you can tell he the for real for real is what got me right. The second for real was when I was like, maybe he's really for real, you know, maybe maybe something's going on there.
Speaker 2: Maybe I need to make a couple of calls.
Speaker 3: So I did a couple of Little Big Jay journaling what I gather. Maybe it's not all hearts and rainbows in San Antonio. Question is when is Pop gonna retire? No one knows. I asked multiple people at in at Summer League, and I was like, hey, do you guys know if Pop's retiring anytime soon? Because it doesn't seem like he would want to stick around for a full rebuild. He's a million and some people said yes about he literally looks like he created the constitution, like plus lived when the dinosaurs did. And it's like he's got one foot in, he's got another foot watching Slovenian tape for the next Olympics. You know, he's kind of checked out and doesn't even matter if he's coaching this team. We're trying to lose games. I don't need to coach. It's kind of a perfect time to be a coach.
Speaker 2: In the NBA.
Speaker 3: Literally just chill, tell them nothing, teach them nothing, let them do whatever they want.
Speaker 2: Becky Hammond dipped. She's like, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Anymore for this founding father to dip off into the sunset. And on top of that, another thing that I've heard another word that was used to describe this franchise and the culture was militant. Yes, militant. I don't know that a young kid like the Jantet Murray would particularly resonate with a militant culture. Greg Popovich, like coach K former military guy, runs a very tight ship. We're talking curfews on the road where you're not seeing anyone but your team on the road, that's enforced, curfews for grown men, more strictly enforced than it was at the Walt Disney bubble. So practices that feel like top gun Maverick, Like you got the big, wide open room with desks and somebody up there and making sure you're locked and loaded all the way in.
Speaker 2: No talking on the team bus on the way to games. Things I can't even believe.
Speaker 3: Things that I had to shake my head and say, am I being fed a load of shit?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's all good and fine when you're winning championships, but the they haven't won a championship since twenty fourteen. Strict rules hit a little different when you're in the playing tournament, you know what I'm saying, Like it's all good when you got champagne and goggles and everybody's eating steak and drinking wine and sharing personal stories to make you cry, and like Greg Papovitch's.
Speaker 2: Giving you hugs. No, this is not that anymore. So I tell you what.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty three projected number one overall pick Victor Wanbayama one. Number one, they better fucking get them, and number two you better be the second coming Michael Jordan, because de Jontay Murray might be right.
Speaker 2: The Spurs might.
Speaker 3: Be in a fifteen year losing drought and just rebuild after rebuild after rebuild, with Pop collecting checks that he maybe shouldn't even cash. Like his name is Steve Nash.
Speaker 2: It's losing time.
Speaker 1: H m hmm