Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decided to drop into the show. Now here's your host, Paul Jargon.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Today we find out whether or not Aaron Rodgers constitutes stupid stuff. Joining me this week, Kent, Why Rock? Hey Ken, Good to have you back.
Speaker 3: Hey, glad to be back. I know Matt wanted to jump in and talk about some divisions here, but look, when we get Aaron Rodgers news on the AFC North episode, we gotta we gotta get it done.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: It's the timing could not have been better really for this to drop, and it is.
Speaker 4: An It's it's not unexpected in any way.
Speaker 1: I think for Aaron Rodgers, Kent, it just came down to, Okay, am I going to end up with Pittsburgh? Or am I going to wait for somebody to get injured and then try to fill in at some point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's definitely a question. And you know, we'll talk about this in a minute. But Mason Rudolph is not the guy and they need to do something. So he finally decided to sign he's gonna skip a little bit of the OTAs as he's known to do to do Yes, yeah, exactly that, I guess. You know, honestly, I do the same thing. I totally totally get it from his point of view as a guy in north of forty so right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's a little bit like, you know, you get hired by some company and you're like, okay, you know, i'll see in about six weeks, I'm gonna go vacation for a while. So, you know, nice for him to be able to do that. I guess we are not in the kitchen, We're not in the closet, spare bedroom this time. I'm very excited to say. And that's still no furniture in Utah house. But spare bedroom is going to be the uh, it's going to be the winner today and hopefully so you know, I'm a sound kent. You don't know this yet, I'm a sound quality snob for this show. During this move and all the things that have happened this is it's been a little bit tough on me, not having all my usual you know, studio office set up and just sort of making do where we can appreciate the listeners who have sort of stuck it out during this process as well.
Speaker 3: I totally understand. And you know, we'll find the new rhythm, the Utah Minnesota connection. It's gonna come to fruition and we're gonna make some good stuff this year.
Speaker 4: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's break down the AFC and NFC North and I think we should just start with Pittsburgh. I mean, this is this is the logical starting spot today, Kent. And as we've done for the past, now this will be our fourth or four shows where we break down divisions and highlight what's new from the previous from last season, the key new elements that you need to know for each one of these teams.
Speaker 4: So let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Pittsburgh, Kent. Let's just go ahead and you know, tear the band aid off and start with start with Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: So you know, it really is suiting that Aaron Rodgers announces this or rather this news of his signing was announced, but they were at the top of the list. The Pittsburgh Steels are gonna be the first AFC team that we're going to talk about today and it was just meant to be. So there's a lot of interesting cycling going on in terms of the personnel with the Pittsburgh Steelers. We got DK Metcalf coming in, we have George Pickens going out, both via trade. So it's a lot of moving parts going on for the Steelers offense right now. And how Aaron Rodgers coming in to the fold is going to affect the passing offense in general is something that we're really not sure about to begin with. So it's a very interesting situation. And you know, not to mention they have some changes on the offensive line too, So you know, Dan Moore Junior was their left tackle, he got lost free agency. Right guard James Daniels lost free agency, and then they're probably gonna move Roderick Jones back to left tackle, which was his college experience. Hasn't really done it much in the pros yet, but he had a rough year at right tackle last year, so you know, maybe that's a bounce back for him. But a lot of moving parts on the offensive line for sure. And then their new right guard is just some No. One Mason McCormick, who I wasn't even aware of to tell that I researched this, so yeah, it might be a little tough. But you know, if there's someone who has had a career of navigating the pocket, making plays out of seemingly broken situations, Aaron Rodgers is among the best of them. And you know he struggled a little bit with the Jets to accomplish that. Age comes first, all, doesn't it charge, But.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't know anything about that. Ken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, age is certainly coming for Rogers in some respects to his NFL career, and so you know, if he can turn down one last time for the Steelers, that'll be very interesting. But you know, bringing in DK metcalf, I think let's start there. He's twenty seven years old. This is year seven for him. I almost couldn't believe when I looked at I know he's been in the league for a while, but year seven already for a guy I feel like we just talked about as a prospect not that long ago. Butlast year he missed two games with a knee strain. There was a little bit of a divergence in his stats between those two splits and afterwards. It was pretty rough. It was only five point nine targets per game fifty three yards per game. But before that he was doing pretty well, you know, eighty one yards per game instead. So if he can bounce back to that pre injury number, he can still be himself. He's still got plenty of years in the tank. He's super athletic, he's got muscles on top of his muscles. He's my wife.
Speaker 1: My wife has decided DK Metcalf could tear the head off a mouse with his belly button. Now, I don't know how one draws that particular conclusion from DK Metcalf, although I think she was transfixed by his abs in that moment, and so I think that's probably part of it. But yeah, that's you know, obviously he's he is a.
Speaker 4: Special, special athlete.
Speaker 1: But you know, I think one of the things that's going to make DK Metcalf tricky is there's nobody to relieve pressure on DK Metcalf, because after him, this depth chart falls to.
Speaker 3: Pe sure does. Yeah, and you know, with with George Pickens leaving, I guess we'll talk about that real quick and then we can go down the rest of the line up here. But you know, George Pickens actually had a decent amount of overlap in terms of how they were used to DK Metcalf. Not entirely similar, but certainly a lot of deep, deep yard looks and stuff like that. So the idea to move on from him isn't like the worst idea in the world, but it certainly does leave a trail of tears, so to speak. After that. You know, Calvin Austin, He's probably not someone you're really going to be drafting in any leagues, but I guess you can keep an eye on him that that'd be probably the best case scenario. I'm not even keep an eye on him, You're just you're blind watching. That's right, I have it.
Speaker 1: I don't have an unlimited number of eyes, and I'm going to use uh, any of my valuable eyes.
Speaker 4: It's not going to be on Calvin Austin.
Speaker 3: Well, instead, can I interest you in one Robert Woods, who's thirty three years old?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you may and may not. I don't believe Robert Woods even make this roster.
Speaker 3: I'll go back far totally possible.
Speaker 1: At candidate, even though there's not a lot of talent behind him and Scottie Miller and Roman Wilson. But I you know, Woods has been so non impactful like last year's.
Speaker 4: He's with Houston.
Speaker 1: They have all the injuries, right, Diggs goes out, Tank Dell goes out, and Robert Woods is still invisible when they needed him.
Speaker 4: So I don't I don't think it can.
Speaker 1: I don't think Robert Wood's got anything left.
Speaker 3: No, absolutely not. He hasn't hit five hundred yards or more than two touch actually more than one touchdown the last two years, I should say. So. Yeah, he's a non interest as well. It's DK Metcalf or nothing. And unfortunately he's going to see a lot of double coverage based on this stuff. So it's not the best situation called DK Metcalf in a lot of leagues. Definitely not gonna be drafting Anon Rodgers. That's just too much of a mystery box for me. And you know, the run game, I guess we could switch to talk about. There's some interesting things going on here where Dongie Harris is gone. You know, we still have Jalen Warren there, who for the time being is the lead back. But I don't think he's built to play as a lead back or a three down guy. He's a very solid player and he's really great in the receiving game. But they did bring in Caleb Johnson. He was a third rounder, eighty sixth overall, And honestly, the Steels had their eyes on a ton of running backs in this draft class. I don't know if you were paying attention to some of the interview process and stuff like that, but they were looking at guys that were going in the first round, and they know they didn't have a second round pick, so they believe that they found something in Caleb Johnson. Thought they'd be there, thought that he would be there at the third round pick, and they nabbed him. He had a huge All American season for Iowa as a junior last year. Fifteen hundred rush yards, one hundred and eighty eight receiving yards on top, which isn't much but you know a little bit of additional yardage there, and then twenty three total touchdowns. So he had a really, really solid season. And he has an opportunity to step into a big role right away with Najee Harris gone and Jalen Warren not being your prototypical three down guy. So that's where I stand. I don't know, do you have any kind of feelings on Caleb Johnson.
Speaker 1: Caleb Johnson is super divisive among the college football experts. Some love him, some think he is absolutely moribund. I like Caleb Johnson, and I think he will be your interior, big bodied short yardage guy for the Steelers. You know, he is thickly built, He's designed to run between the tackles. I think I'm going to do this off top of my head and Thorn I talked about it pre draft. I think he averaged four and a half yards per carry after contact, yards between the guards and carries between the guards. He's just in a really impressive inside runner. And then you know Iowa, he was the whole offense.
Speaker 4: You know, they couldn't pass.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody knew Caleb Johnson was coming, and defense is just you know, they game planned to just take him out of the Iowa offense, and it didn't always matter. Can IWA was still ran him. But you know you mentioned the fifteen hundred brushing yards and the twenty three touchdowns. Everybody knew it was coming. It was going to be all Caleb Johnson every game and it didn't matter.
Speaker 4: He could.
Speaker 1: You know, he's still piled up big stats, So I'm optimistic that he's going to be impactful, and but Jalen Warren will continue to have such a big role that I don't know that Caleb Johnson is going to be somebody that is more than like a flex start and might end up being pretty touchdown dependent. I think he will get more touchdowns than Jalen Warren just because of that big body.
Speaker 4: The other guy.
Speaker 1: I just want to mention in case you weren't going to I thought Kenneth Gainwell played the best football of his career last year. To me, in my eyes, he looked he looked like the best version of Kenneth Gainwell we had ever had. And I think he's going to be a I'm not saying you draft him, and we shouldn't even be really giving him much of any talk here, But if anything were to happen to Warren or Caleb Johnson, I think Kenneth Gainwell is is somebody that would that would get a little bit of time.
Speaker 4: In this offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on day one, I see him taking maybe some of the targets that Nauge left behind. That's probably the biggest thing he's going to do right away. Not much until there's an injury in my opinion. Ye, but Yep, totally agreed.
Speaker 4: Agreed.
Speaker 1: All right, great breakdown on the Steelers. Let's go to our Let's go to our next team, which is the Cleveland Browns. Lots of change here. Kent start a quarterback, so we don't know who the starting quarterback is going to be, some combination of Joe Flacco, Canny Pickett. I don't think he's a factor, Dylan Dylan Gabriel, who was the first of two rookie quarterbacks taken, and then of course Shoulder Sanders, who slipped all the way to the fifth round, and then as you probably saw at the time of the draft, when they selected him, there was like golf applause in the in the war room for the Browns, like nobody was excited to take him. There's a lot of speculation that ownership made made them and ultimately take Shader Sanders.
Speaker 4: I assume Flacco's going to start the season if it's.
Speaker 1: Just like the guy who's most ready to be a starting quarterback in the NFL. I assume it's Flacco, but you don't figure Flacco holds the job for that long and sooner or later, as a rebuilding team, they go to Gabriel, they go to Sanders. I don't think any Pickett's a factor here, and neither also Spina non factors can. Deshaun Watson, as you may remember, reruptured his achilles tendon in January. So the presumption is that he will not play this year and he's probably played his final down in Cleveland. Im probably his final down of NFL football. But I don't know, man, every teams are so desperate for quarterbacks. Maybe some other team gives him a try.
Speaker 3: But speaking well, the Browns aren't desperate. They have like five quarterbacks, right, don't need him?
Speaker 4: Noney.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know when when ownership came out and said publicly, yeah we made we made a big mistake and acquiring Deshaun Watson while he's on roster, that tells you that, like you know they're done with him when you when you actually go to that to that stage. Out of this group, I'm drafting none in dynasty and higher leagues. I would I think there's like a round late round two, early round three and standard leagues where you could throw a dart at Gabriel or Sanders, and probably Sanders would be my choice. But I think this is a situation to avoid at receiver. Not much to talk about. Deontay Johnson is not worthy of note. I will say a tight end, hyper productive college player, Harold Fannon just got drafted into a terrible spot behind David and Joku, and so I think he sits on the bench for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Yes, we got I don't know. I you know, I'll just say I'm shaken in mind in Djoku boots just a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It just took Djoku a while to get going, and he's been very productive, but it's been under the majority of the time under the best passers like Flacco. You know, it's hard to believe you could say that, but you know, it's it's just if we do have a situation where we have Gabriel or Sanders coming in, that could be an another changing of the go I mean, you know, they have I'd have to look at the contract. They haven't Joku for a little bit while. But if Fannon is the future, and if they're looking to move to the quarterback of the future, they could try to make the entire offense get younger, and that'd be one one avenue to do it. So it's it's not like I don't think Joku's going to finish the season as the starter necessarily, but it's just a little bit like a ten percent scare factor for me.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: I I liked Fannin more than I think most scouts did because he fell pretty far in the draft for the guy who led college football and production to tight end.
Speaker 4: But Joko's really good, So I don't know, I'm less.
Speaker 1: I think I feel more secure in drafting in Djoko than than I think you do.
Speaker 4: And that's fine.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the running back position because that's the most important one to talk about when you're talking about Cleveland, and we go to a rookie second rounder, Quinche on Judkins. Judkins is the presumed Week one starter, but you know Jerome Ford, you watch Joan Ford's going to be getting I bet he still continues to get a meaningful number of carries in especially early in the season. Judkins breaks a lot of tackles in the box because he's agile. He's got acceleration. That's his biggest thing, elite vision. He just the the upfield burst is really really good and he can catch and so I think he stays in the game on third downs. Now at Ohio state they threw him. They did throw him a lot, but it was almost all like you know, dump off stuff, check downs, dump off and so I don't know the Judkins is going to be a great help from a PPR standpoint, but he can catch and and so it'll be a factor there.
Speaker 4: I just don't.
Speaker 1: I think the question is just how long it takes him before he before Judkins turns into the lead back?
Speaker 4: And is that week one?
Speaker 1: Is it October?
Speaker 4: Is it November?
Speaker 1: These things always seem to go slower than we usually want them to.
Speaker 3: Ken my predictions the Hall of Fame game, and I know they don't even play it. I think he's the one. He's the one out the gates. If not in terms of snaps, it's probably going to be in terms of yardage and fantasy importance. So and then you know, as the year goes on, and he's clearly better than Jerome forn Ford and who's the other guy back there, pierres Strong. He's just clearly better than them. So it shouldn't take long for him to get the volume that it takes to become a more important fantasy asset.
Speaker 1: Talking about things that won't take long to talk about the Cincinnati offseason had almost no meaningful fantasy change.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, maybe the biggest thing we can talk about is last year they had a truly horrific offensive line situation thirty second in past block win rate thirtieth and run block win rate per ESPN. You know, they've made changes. They're lost right guard Alex Kapa, which is probably more of an addition by subtraction. He allowed thirty six pressures in eight sacks. Wasn't very good by PFF block grade and all that stuff, so you know he's being replaced by a veteran. They drafted Dylan Fairchild in the third round. They're making some moves and it's hard to get much worse than it was, but it's still not great. So you know, we'll see if their offensive link and bounce back. But the biggest change is that Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase, and t Higgins could combine their money and make us Scrooge McDuck money pool. That's something that they could do this year. They might get injured if they're diving into those coins, though, so they got to watch out.
Speaker 4: It's a great point.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's there's really not much changes, you know, it's the same old passing offense. They have the same tight end, Mike Sicki coming back. You had a little bit of a bounce back year, but wasn't targeted in the red zone very much. So I'm not going to be drafting very much of him. Chases the one oh one or one o two, depending on your settings, and t Higgins is going to be an elite wide receiver two. He's the best in the league probably, So yeah, it's really great. And the only thing is Tiggins. Excuse me. T Higgins had some health issues last year. He had three different injuries in twenty twenty four, a hamstring sprain in September, quad strain in October, and an ankle sprain in January. So he needs to get healthy and stay in intact to be able to provide for this offense. But if he's there and playing, it's going to be great. Let's move to the run game instead. Was a little bit more interesting things to talk about, not really, but a little bit. They brought back some ma a JP Ryan who's been gone for two years. He's starting thirty this year though he's definitely getting up there in age. Yeah, non factor for sure. Didn't rush much he was with the Broncos and then the Chiefs, but was still seen some targets, So I wanted to call that out. You know, thirty five targets for the Chiefs last year, three hundred twenty two receiving yards, fifty six the year prior for the Broncos four hundred and fifty five receiving yards. So do I think he's going to eat into Chase Brown's work? For No, Probably not, but he's probably going to be a third down back being brought in occasionally to assist. And in my opinion, Chase Brown is wheels up, ready to go. Last year thirteen hundred plus scrimmageyards, eleven total touchdowns. I think he smashes both of those numbers. This year didn't quite get to a thousand rushing yards. I think he smashes that as well, provided that this offensive line holds up.
Speaker 1: Agreed, I think Chase Brown's being underdrafted. I'm really optimistic about him, and I love that he's evolving as a receiver as well. And to your point, a lot of it hinges on getting anything out of anything better than non awful production out of that offensive line. So you're talking about jumping into a Scrooge McDuck lie like pile of coins, and it reminded me that there's reasons that coins are always round. No sharp edges on coins, right, every currency, like every currency in the world pretty much is round. So the question is this, Kent, this is your jeopardy moment.
Speaker 4: Do you know why so.
Speaker 3: They fit in the gumball machine.
Speaker 4: I like that answer. I like that answer.
Speaker 3: The no, I don't know the answer though.
Speaker 1: The correct answer as I understand it, and I could be wrong. This is I got this out of a out of a.
Speaker 4: Book years ago, and Neil Stevenson book. So I appreciate that Neil, in.
Speaker 1: The olden days of coins harder to counterfeit because it was hard to make things.
Speaker 4: That were perfectly round.
Speaker 1: And that's also why, by the way, you've got the and the other.
Speaker 4: So that's part one is counterfeiting, and then part.
Speaker 1: Two is people would they would try to slice off edges of the coins to keep the metal right. They would try to shave off edges and stuff. And that's why you've got on the edges of coins. It's you've got the beveling on the edges of coins, the little stripes on the edges of coins. That was originally because they wanted to be able to show if anybody had had like chiseled off or filed off edges of the coins for the metal.
Speaker 3: Very interesting.
Speaker 1: There's your there's your answer on why coins aren't sharp and you can dive into a pile of coins without getting hurt. Things you only learn on Fantasy Football Weekly. Unless Neil Stevenson is wrong.
Speaker 4: Which is possible.
Speaker 1: Let's go to Baltimore, a team with almost no changes, so we're not gonna spend much time here. Kent wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins is there, thirty three years old. I'm not sure he makes the roster either. Is talking about Robert Woods maybe not making his roster. I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think. I don't think Hopkins automatically does.
Speaker 1: Because much like we were talking about with Robert Woods so last year, Hopkins is on the Chiefs. They desperately need wide out help and that's why they traded for him. And all Hopkins did was see his playing time consistently shrink.
Speaker 4: By the end of the year.
Speaker 1: In the playoffs, Hopkins was only on the field for thirteen routes, eleven routes and fifteen routes in those three playoff games for the Chiefs, and the average just two targets and one catch per game in those games. So he's on a one year deal, which almost certainly be the last year of his contract if he makes the team in Baltimore. I don't know that he does. Rashad Bateman just got resigned to a long term deal, but you already know about him. He does not qualify as somebody new to talk about, so we won't spend time there. There's no changes at running back, so not really a lot to talk about here. I will note this at the running back position, Justice Hill quietly turned into a terrific pass catching specialist last year. He finished his Pro Football focuses number three ranked receiving running back twenty four catches, zero drops, three receiving touchdowns ten yards after the catch. Quietly, Justice Hill is going to turn into a priority handcuff to Derrick Henry because he would have some tremendous upside if anything happened.
Speaker 4: God forbid to Derrick Henry.
Speaker 3: I'll push back there a lot go ahead. I like I still like Keating Mitchell quite a bit, and he had a pretty bad injury that kept him out of the majority last season, and Justice Hill is great, or at least was great last season. It was one of his best, you know, of his seasons with the Ravens so far, his vastly highest receiving grade. The other four were pretty mediocre at best. And he did get almost the same amount of targets in twenty twenty three. So he's He's been with the team for a while and certainly they leaned into him when when it was working. But in terms of rushing I do like Keaton Mitchell quite a bit more. He was really dynamic when he got the ball two years ago. I hope that they can get it back healthy. I've heard the coaches talking about trying to get him back healthy. He's important to this roster, so I probably and he's probably cheaper, I would assume right now than Justice Hill. I don't know that for a fact, but for sure that's where my lottery ticket would be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, again, it's fine that we differ on this.
Speaker 1: I just feel like Keaton Mitchell's game was all about acceleration, cutting all the things that you really need, a good healthy need for I need to see it first when you come back cl and you know.
Speaker 4: Just some guys.
Speaker 1: You know, some guys come back better than others, and we hope Keaton Mitchell comes back. Well, you know what else is coming back us to break down the NFC North when we come back. Welcome back Fantasy Football Weekly, Paul Charchian.
Speaker 4: And Kent Wyrock with you. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: We are turning our attention from the AFC North to the NFC North, Kent, and for that, let's begin with the green Bay Packers. I think a team that looks to my eyes to have gotten a bit better that in this offseason, and an already very competitive division is going to be that much better with the improvements that green Bay made, I believe boo oh.
Speaker 3: Wait, oh, sorry, I have to be objective and no, I'm just kidding. Yeah, No, they did improve, and you know, obviously they drafted Matthew Golden. I think that was one of the biggest talking points of the offseason in the first round. He had that four two nine speed coming out of college at the Combine, and he had some i'll say interesting stats coming out of college. He didn't have like the world's best production profile, and I think there was a little bit of a divergence in the stats versus film community and stuff like that. But he's certainly a solid player, and he joins a really solid receiving room. The only question I have is, now we have a full wide receiver room. We're bringing back the four guys from last year, Jayden, Reid, Romeo, Dubbs, DeVante excuse me, Dontavian Wicks, and Christian Watson and adding Matthew Gold to the mix. So this offense is going to be good. But which receiver do you pick on any given week? If you're in a re draft league, if we're talking best ball, you can probably lean into the guy you like best and just punch your ticket there. But the biggest beneficiary I see of all of this is Jordan Love for sure. So he's got some very interesting upside this year. This offense could lead him to like a thirty five plus passing touchdown. Here.
Speaker 1: I think my biggest concern, or not my biggest concern for rather than the guess who's the receiver?
Speaker 4: Did yours going to be?
Speaker 1: I just like Jordan Love, who's going off the board right now, like quarterback Ninetheen, I just think he's being vastly vastly underdrafted. And you look at love season last year. He had the he had the groin injury, which was really debilitating and took the wheels off of him. He had been a better rusher the year before, of course, but this groin injury lingered all year long and it affected his throwing motion, took all the rushing out of his game. I think he comes back now with this, with this new weapon, and has the opportunity here to be. I think Jordan Loved has the opportunity to be a top ten fantasy quarterback. And I think he's one of the most underdrafted quarterbacks in fantasy football right now.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. And going back, I have one quick little quiz for you. Last year for the Green Bay Packers, what receiver had the most targets and how many targets did they have?
Speaker 1: I will go, Jaden read at only like fifty targets or sixty five? Tar Wait, our tight ends in our tight ends eligible for this?
Speaker 3: I am talking just receivers for this, all right.
Speaker 1: I'll go It's got to be Dobbs or read, but I will go, I'll go read sixty five.
Speaker 3: So you're low on the target number. The target number was seventy six and the leader was Dantavian Wicks.
Speaker 1: Was it really shot up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He had one more than Jayden r Wow. Yep, so it was not.
Speaker 1: I I never really even considered him. I'm really surprised.
Speaker 3: It's it's a mystery bag and it's going to be tough to assess unless we get you know, either further news in camp or God forbidden injury or something like that. So uh, like you said, Jordan Love is the guy to put your money on right now and and wait and see who comes out of the receiver group. If you find one at a value on your draft boards this year, I'd take them. But I'm not going to try and reach reach early for any of these guys right now.
Speaker 1: No, And Christian Watson's got to prove he's going to come back this season from his acl you know. For shot me is you know that I think he's completely out of this mix. For me, I love the fact that Elton Jenkins is going to go back to center. They drafted Aaron Banks and I'm taking some of your steam here, sorry. They drafted Aaron Banks from the forty nine ers, a good guard and they're finally going to get oh, and they put a second round pick into into left tackle.
Speaker 4: I think too.
Speaker 1: I get the feeling that an already capable offensive line, and the Packers always seem to like get the most out of everybody they draft. There. I get the feeling that offensive line for Green Bay is going to be potentially really good, like a top six or seven unit if everything comes together for them and they stay healthy.
Speaker 4: What do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree, and I did have that my notes too, And you know, I think the guy that they took a tackle was maybe taking a bit a bit of ahead of the consensus and for whatever, that's where some of these teams are better at scouting than others. But you know, they've really gotten a lot of mileage out of Zach Tom, They've been pretty good with what they've gotten out of Rashid Walker. They've got a good unit here, and if the little bit of cycling in the interior offensive line doesn't mess them up, yeah, good spot. So let's hope that, you know, losing their center doesn't give him a wrench. But I do like it overall for sure. And let's talk about how or go ahead? Go ahead?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well no, I just you know, Jenkins has plate center. I trust him there, and I think this is a I just again, I like getting I like getting this offensive line back together and people playing where they should. I'm gonna guess your final thing on the Packers is going to be marsha On Lloyd.
Speaker 4: But I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: Well, it's yes, you're right in some respects. You know, obviously ag Dillon is gone. He was pretty much a nothing by the time at the end of his tenure there in Green Bay. But you know, we're talking about Marshall Lloyd. But I think we might need to talk about Emmanuel Wilson too. You know, Marshall Lloyd last year was injured. Of course, he had six attempts on the on the year before getting injured, he had fifteen rushing yards, just fifteen on those six attempts. But he was a third rounder last year. And then twenty twenty three undrafted free agent Emmanuel Wilson steps in and says, hey, I'm gonna I'm gonna run this show back year, and he had one hundred and six attempts for five hundred eight yards four point eight to carry and four touchdowns. He had really good numbers for the Packers. Last year when spelling Josh Jacobs, and I think that he at least has gotten his name put into the mix of is this guy someone we should be giving touches in the coaching staff. Whether or not they transition all the way back to Marshall Lloyd, I don't think they go one hundred percent, and I don't think they drop Wilson back to the third without without a second thought. I think I think they're thinking it through for sure. And you know, right now, in terms of underdog ADP, the public still thinks it's Lloyd. He's running back fifty nine, so they're not super confident about it or anything. But in Manuel Wilson at running back eighty three, I love that value and I would probably be taking him on some more unique like zero running back builds that are looking for those high upside plays. But you know, and when we're talking about, you know, who's gonna be the handcuff here, I think it matters because Josh Jacobs is coming off a three hundred and thirty seven touch season, and you know, I did a little bit of kind of analysis on this. I was looking at rushing attempts, but the trend holds generally speaking, since twenty ten, there's been just one instance of a running back with three hundred plus rushing attempts increasing the following year. So from three hundred or more did they go up or down? And all but one went down, and the one that went up was Derrick Henry, So he's a little bit of a unicorn in that regard. And the average drop off is ninety three fewer rushing attempts, which was staggering. And if we look at Josh Jacobs, I'll have to pull up the numbers to get get it specifically here, but when he had a mountain load worth of carries three years ago, he dropped from He went from three hundred and forty attempts down to two hundred and thirty three the following season and missed some time with the Raiders. So I don't think there's nothing behind the fact that he got a lot of work last year and that could lead to some wear and tear and potential for in or bringing in fresh legs behind him, whether that be Lloyd or Wilson. So just an intriguing thing to think through.
Speaker 1: Josh Jacobs is, as you mentioned, coming off this heavy workload season, but he's also in the last year of guaranteed money for the Packers. And sometimes when you're in the last year of your deal, like the Raiders already did to Josh Jacobs's wounds, you just run him into the ground because it's somebody else's wear and tear you down the road.
Speaker 4: Not yours. It'll be fascinating to watch that.
Speaker 1: Let's go over to the Vikings made some pretty major storylines here. The Vikings might have the league's most improved offensive line. They were already a decent pass blocking line they ranked fifteenth by PFF and they were number two in pass block win rate last year, but they were a mediocre run blocking line, and that figures to change here. They drafted mammoth first round rookie left guard Donovan Jackson. Then at center they brought in Indianapolis excellent Indianapolis veteran Kelly. He was a PFF seventeenth ranked center, so maybe not excellent, but he's good. And then at right guard they brought in Will Fryes, also from Indy, widely regarded as the best guard in free agency, and he was PFF's fourth ranked guard last year. So the Vikings with what seemed to be massive improvement guard center guard, and it should really affect the running game, which we'll talk about in a minute here, But first we have to get to JJ McCarthy. I don't know, and I think I've said I've made this basic statement on the show a couple of other shows as well, Ken, and maybe even ones you've been on. I don't think any quarterback in the history of the league, for a first year starting quarterback, and he's not a rookie, but he's a first year starting quarterback. I don't know that anybody's been dropped into a more favorable spot to succeed than JJ McCarthy. And my rationale goes like this, Yep, the injury last year sucked, but he got to learn in the classroom. He took tons of VR reps the team, and he got a year of quasi coaching, just not on the field coaching from Kevin O'Connell, who has produced career best results for every quarterback who's ever touched Minnesota, whether it's Kirk Cousins or Nick Mullins or Josh Dobbs or Sam Darnold, you know they've all been at their very best under Kevin O'Connell. And here comes JJ McCarthy. He's going to drop back to pass. He's going to look left. Here's Justin Jefferson. He looks right, Jordan Anderson, Jordan Addison, he looks down the scene.
Speaker 4: TJ.
Speaker 1: Hockinson if he needs a dump off Aaron Jones. I mean, what a luxury of passing pass receivers that is. And the other part of McCarthy's game that people don't talking about enough except Thor who does plenty. Dude can run. In his last two years at Michigan, he ran one hundred and thirty four times for five hundred yards.
Speaker 4: You know, the kid can run.
Speaker 1: And while Kevin O'Connell rarely asks his quarterbacks to run, none of them could run for the most part except Dobbs, and he was, you know, only a starter brand full of games. So I think, Josh, I think. I think JJ McCarthy is sitting in a spot to be highly impactful, more than people realize, and probably early. I'm very optimistic going off the board right now, right around quarterback twenty one. I think that to me, that feels a little bit low.
Speaker 4: What do you think him?
Speaker 3: Well low, I'll have to process that, but certainly, if he's you know, if you're going with a heavier stack of quarterbacks and he's your third guy, you can definitely lean into that adp and go strong that way. But as a second quarterback, I can kind of understand a little bit of the hesitation from the community and not saying like I'm ready to give him his flowers yet he hasn't even played a down. Totally understandable. But if we treat him as a rookie stepping into this situation, which we agree is wildly beneficial for quarterbacks, I mean Sam Donald came in through thirty five touchdowns last year and you know, all respect is Sam Donald. He was drafted highly. He you know, ran into some issues and bounced around the league and you know, maybe he's going to go on his own Geno Smith kind of a late career adventure, but he still was not the guy who was ready to take over a franchise for his own. And if JJ McCarthy could be that, we don't know yet. So if he is anything above Sam Donald in terms of talent, this is all aces man, this is we're locked and ready to go. And I think you know, the betting markets have us at what is it nine and a half win total right now. You know last year Sam Donald won fourteen games. That might be an over for me. I don't know. I'll have to put some money on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Vikings schedules really tough, especially like weeks six through nine or ten are just brutal. But otherwise, yeah, I'm really interested. Let's talk running back Jordan Mason for the Vikings. We've talked about him in our Undervalued Best ball Player podcast. What was it kind of like five or six weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: I think Jordan Mason is one of the great sleepers for this year. He is going to score more Fantasy points than Aaron Jones, I'm outright say it here, and I think he's got double digit touchdown upside. We talked about how much better the Vikings offensive line got between guard center guard, and Jordan Mason is going to be the power back in this offense, and I believe it's going to be very close to a fifty to fifty playing time split, which most people don't seem to appreciate here, and Mason's going to get the touchdown runs. You know, Aaron Jones just isn't a pounder. He's just stop built for it. His body type just won't let him do that. And Mason's twenty pounds more than Jones. His career average is five point three yards per carry, granted on pretty light workloads. But I just think Mason at this stage of their respective careers might be better than Jones. And it's going to be the kind of guy that's going to be on the field short yardage, first and second down and has a chance to be a terrific sleeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jordan Mason in each of his three years with the forty nine Ers was at least one yard rushing over expectation per attempt. That's ridiculous. Those are insane efficiency metrics. And you know, it'd be one thing if he was leaving the forty nine ers and going to I don't know, the Seahawks or somewhere else. But he's coming to Kevin O'Connell. He's coming to a great zone rushing offense. There's an improved offensive line. There's no reason to believe he can't repeat that same efficiency with this offense very similar to the forty nine ers style.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's transition over to Detroit, an offense that does not have a lot of change. Although we should man, I'll be interested to see if you start the offensive line, which to me is probably the biggest the biggest offseason change for me.
Speaker 3: Well, and that is but one other big changes that they lost Ben Johnson to the Bear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but that's fair.
Speaker 3: You know a lot of people associated a lot of this offensive prowess coming from Ben Johnson's kind of scheme and style. You know, Dan Campbell is a great head coach, but you know, whether or not he's an offensive genius, I don't think I would believe that comment. So this could be a big loss for them. Let's hope that it's not. But the new offensive coordinator is a guy named John Morton. His last and only offensive coordinator gig was with the Jets in twenty seventeen, which was a bottom ten offense. But I don't know if you remember the Jets back then they at that was Josh McCown and then three games of Bryce Petty.
Speaker 4: Can you believe it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good stuff back then. So I'm not going to hold it against him, and we'll just kind of find if he's going to have a new kind of style in mind when he gets here. He's been the passing game coordinator for the Broncos for last two years. So that's a pretty good situation to come from. And yeah, we'll see how that affects things. But certainly the O line we got to jump into that because not only did Frank Ragnow retire just days ago due to essentially injuries and his body not holding up, which is totally understandable for an NFL offensive lineman. My goodness, they go through the Ringer, but they also lost right guard Kevin Ziegler and free agency. They drafted Tate Ratledge fifty seventh overall to help step in and he could probably start right away. But they're starting left guard right now at least based on how PFF hasn't projected, and things could change through camp. But is someone called Christian Mahogany who was a sixth rounder last year, so that could be an issue.
Speaker 4: I've never heard of Christian Mahogany.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like I said, that could change in camp. So we'll find out a little bit more as time goes on. But Glasgow is probably moving back to center. He's a veteran, he's solid. But there's two big losses on the offensive line for a team that loves to run the ball. And you know, if they're going to open up some deeper passing attempts, they got a hold up for Golf to get, you know, Jamison Williams some high eight targets. So you know, things could change pretty significantly in this offense. If the timing changes, and if the offensive coordinator and the scheme changes, we could be in for some changes here. But Golf is still in a pretty good position getting all his receivers. They re signed Tim Patrick. For what it's worth, he was just solid for them. He wasn't anything worth talking about in fantasy, but in regards to Jared Goff, he's very helpful as a third guy behind i'man Rossaint Brown and James Williams. And then you know, uh, I guess the next thing that I'll talk about is that we get the one two punch sho of Jimior Gibbs and David Montgomery coming back. I know you love Montgomery. We talked about him in the Over Undervalued Best Ball Show. Do you have any concerns now that we've had a little bit more shifting in the offensive line or do you still think.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't, yeah, if you lose Frank rag now I'm concerned because you're it's not hyperbole to say that had he played out a full career, he could have been Hall of Fame bound. You know, if he'd have played thirteen years. You know, that's the that's the career arc that he was on.
Speaker 4: He was so good.
Speaker 1: So you know, losing Rag now just a a it's a it's a massive loss. And you know where that affects David Montgomery is potentially the push inside the five. You know, one of the things we love about Dan Campbell is you get inside the five, that dude's running the ball, and you know he just wants to power people down. With Montgomery, also with Gibbs, who gets carries inside the five two. But you know from Montgomery, that's that's really what we're here for, are those those short touchdowns. And I'm nervous about them moving the line of scrimmage the way that they always have in the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally agree. And to circle back here a little bit on the receivers, I did forget to mention they also drafted it's Isaac Tesla and he was a third rounder and nobody thought he was going to be a third rounder heading into the draft. He's got a ridiculous athletic upside profile. But you know, he had a nine point nine to seven RAS score, which is awesome stuff obviously, But you know, he totaled eight hundred and ninety six receiving yards and five touchdowns in the two years at Arkansas. That's his totals, and before that he was playing at a GMAX school for three years called Hillsdale College. Is totally a mystery box. And when they stepped up to the podium and called his name, there was a lot of shock going around the Twitter sphere. So I don't think he's anyone that's going to be contributing heavily to this offense year one, So I don't. I don't have a lot of tabs on him for for redraft or best ball or anything this year. But you know, maybe with that that athleticism, and I think he's six', four he could be someone to watch later if they can develop him a little bit, further get him a little bit more touches and targets in. Practice but, yeah for, Now i'm not going to touch.
Speaker 2: Him.
Speaker 1: YEAH i remember people being shocked that taste law went as fast as early a Tesla is It.
Speaker 3: TESLA i THINK i remember it not Being. Tesla there's some Other tesla or something like. That find THAT i.
Speaker 1: Remember people being shocked that he went as early as he did. It long term project is how most people feel about.
Speaker 4: It all, right let's go over To let's Follow Ben johnson Over.
Speaker 1: Chicago his in his three years As troit's offensive, coordinator all he did In detroit over three years was ranked first in points per, game, first in yards per game, first and passing offense per game in, fifth and rushing yards per.
Speaker 4: Game that's it's awfully. Impressive he was Believed Ben.
Speaker 1: Johnson everybody believed he was the best coach.
Speaker 4: Available in the off.
Speaker 1: Season chicago made their move on him, early and they made a move at the offensive. Line this, is along With, minnesota this might be the most improved offensive. Line and the offensive line metrics For chicago last year were not. Awful they weren't, good but they weren't. Terrible Caleb williams put himself in harm's way. Way that dude manufactured his own sacks all the. Time but they Added Jonah, Jackson Joe, tooney And Drew. Dolloman those ARE pff rankings from last year of, fortieth, twelfth and. Fourth that, is you, know those are, big big moves for A chicago offensive line that's been pretty bad for most of our adult. Lives they also put a second rounder into the offensive, line Tackle Ozzie, trepillo and he brings massive size to the line and only gave up two sacks over the last two. Years so this offensive line should be, way way better For. Chicago and then at the end of the offensive, line they put in tight End colton Loves Loveland Colston, loveland and he was the First titan taken in the. Draft people didn't expect he would necessarily go. TENTH a little bit of a surprise pure pass catching tight end thor Compt loveland To Mark. Andrews not a big, blocker but he can run through the. Seam they ran him on deep routes a lot as well At, michigan and of, Note Ben johnson ran two tight end sets at the third highest rate in the league last, year and so that tells me even if Cole kmet is still part of this, Offense loveland's going to be on the, field so he's gonna have some opportunities to make make a make a quicker transition to the N fell than maybe a lot of rookie tight ends.
Speaker 4: Do so we'll watch his.
Speaker 1: Progress I'M i don't think you want to plan to go to war with production out Of loveland right. Away you have to be kind of at the Brock bauers level to do. That but maybe there'll be some opportunities for him earlier than people think this.
Speaker 3: Year, yeah we talked about this a little. BIT i think he was over valued in The best ball adp he WAS i believe tighten nine and it's a little too rich for. Me but surely in terms of assisting this offense in conjunction with the offensive, Line Caleb, johnson excuse, Me Caleb williams better excel this year or at least vastly outproduced what he did last.
Speaker 4: Year, anyway you will you know last.
Speaker 1: Year I'M i am ready to Give Caleb williams a pretty big pass on last year's. Troubles, again a lot of itself was brought on his, own but the coaching staff was clearly over their. Head the offensive line was not good, enough running game not good, enough although they didn't improve in the off, season which is. Weird let's go to Rookie luther burdon wide receiver who reminds us Of Percy harvin because of the lower body, strength and he's gonna he'll run from the slot and keep With Keenan allen. Gone there are slot reps to be had In, chicago And burden brings just a unique combination of, acceleration, strength. Power you just you don't get that out of many. Guys there's a little bit Of Deebo samuel in, him but the bad, part And i'd Like Deebo. Samuel At, missouri it was all short, passes bubble screens at the line of, scrimmage behind the line of scrimmage, Passes and we don't know yet If Luthor burden is going to be a guy who can be successful, downfield and, ultimately at the end of the, day to Get.
Speaker 4: Fantasy, points you have to get the ball.
Speaker 1: Downfield So Luthor, burden to me is going to be somebody worth, watching but not. Necessarily i'm gonna Somebody i'm gonna go out of my way to uh to try to. Draft and the only other receiver of Note olamedes is a Chas is now In chicago as well A Kent but, frankly we don't care with all due respect to The olemedies A chaas.
Speaker 3: Family, no, YEAH i, agree and real quick On Luther burden that you, know the big thing that we talked about during this draft cycle was that his best year was actually two years ago rather than last. Year and you, know that kind of matches a little bit of what we went through with if you, Recalled Jalen rager had a pretty similar kind of profile coming, down and granted that was out of The big, twelve not THE, sec so we have some conference differences going on. There BUT i do think That burden can bounce back to what he was two years, ago AND i think that he's a really elite guy when you get him. Going so hopefully that With Ben johnson in, town they can find just the right ways to get him involved in the. Offense they shouldn't have to rely on him with the existing you, know receiving weapons, there WHICH i think is great news For burden's. Development. Yeah, Yeah and so he's definitely going to try and invest in him in dynasty right now for.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah really trying to focus on new. Names but let me mention this About Roma dounza in, past and he he HAD i believe the second highest missed target passing rate from him on passes that came to, HIM i should say from you, know From Caleb, williams who was just couldn't get the ball into his.
Speaker 4: Hands he's a candidate for an.
Speaker 1: Improvement and then again they didn't make any moves at running back of. Note so you, Know DeAndre, Swift i'm baffled by. This Ben johnson already benched him once in values with The, lions And Roshan johnson hasn't really emerged in a meaningful. Way so, yeah not that this ISN'T i think this is gonna this is going to be a very very pass heavy, offense and that wouldn't that would not surprise.
Speaker 3: Us probably my biggest investment right now is In Roshan, johnson just because he's cheap and because we know That DeAndre swift has his moments where he looks like he's washed. Entirely, so you, know if Ros On, johnson you, know he hasn't been spectacular or, anything but at a certain, point if you just want fresh, blood he's twenty four years, old you could still develop him. Further you, Know Ben johnson didn't bring anyone new, in so maybe he likes what he sees and we'll find out if he gets a little bit more. Involved but, yeah he's just so cheap it's hard to pass on.
Speaker 1: Him and can what if it turns out That Ben johnson is really like the run the ball inside the five guy is More Ben johnson than necessarily anybody else from The lions, side and, that's you, know more Than Dan. Campbell maybe that's really A Ben johnson trade and he's going to take that with. Him and if they're going to pound the ball inside the, Five Rochean johnson's the guy for.
Speaker 3: That that's what he's working.
Speaker 1: For SO i like where you're going on On Rochean, johnson like last pick of the.
Speaker 3: Draft, Yeah and if you, know if we're hoping that this is an improved offense based on all the stuff we've talked, about someone's going to be scoring rushing touchdowns and If i'm betting on one between the, two It's Roshan.
Speaker 4: Johnson there you.
Speaker 1: Go thanks for listening everybody to this episode Of Fantasy Football. Weekly more coming next, week of, Course but now we've run through all the, divisions we've broken down all the new stuff from every team has been a ton of, fun AND i feel Like i'm you, know we're tracking it obviously pretty closely all off season, anyway BUT i feel like everything's all crystallized through four episodes of these, things and so hopefully that's gonna hopefully that's the case for listeners as. Well can we're back next? WEEK i believe, correct that is.
Speaker 3: Correct we're gonna be talking last pick of the, draft so.
Speaker 4: N'll find out right it's a perfect.
Speaker 1: Transition Ro Shawn, johnson will you appear next week as?
Speaker 4: Well? Well maybe just mode our own lawn right.
Speaker 1: There, uh find out next week when we come back To Fantasy Football. Weekly Fantasy Football weekly is a production Of. iHeartRadio for more podcasts From, iHeartRadio visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite.
Speaker 4: Shows