Speaker 1: Scotti, Happy New Year, Thank you? Are you ready for I think maybe this is one of the most bananas headlines I've ever found, and I'm very excited here it is vodka powered robots, Harness, Cheerios inspired physics for movement, and bizarre experiment.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a mouthful, and I'm ready. It's a new year, It's a new US. It's a new bananas starting in three two one bananassilient pieces.
Speaker 1: Guys, gals, non binary pals, Welcome to Bananas and Happy New Year.
Speaker 2: We did it. I think we made it.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah exactly, unless I mean we are recording this early. Yeah, so maybe something an asteroid or something came in between now and then. But I think we made it.
Speaker 2: We're happy to be here on the silliest little podcast that ever was. Sitting across from me is the most dangerous dad in podcasting, the great comedian and all around great man, Kurt Brown Older.
Speaker 1: See across from me is screenplaywriter extraordinary picture non paray, that's right, Scottie Landis, Oh man, is non paray mean like no one beats you?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I've certainly used it. It's funny that there are certain phrases we just all say.
Speaker 1: I've seen it written and I've never said it or heard it broken. Mm hmmm, I know it's an obnoxious French word.
Speaker 2: It is unequaled excellent, so I'll take it. There we go. There it is. It's also a small flat disc of chocolate covered in white sugar pellets.
Speaker 1: That's also that's the only other time I've seen that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those.
Speaker 1: Little chocolates that I do not want to eat. Those do like those?
Speaker 2: No, there always says really bitter. I remember those being really bitter as a kid. I'm not a huge chocolate guy, but I remember the kid like when you would sneak one of those, you would kind of like put it back or sash it somewhere.
Speaker 1: You're like Olive. Olive doesn't like chocolate and she doesn't like peanut butter, which is well, very surprising for a child.
Speaker 2: I do love Reese's Cups. I mean, I'm not a monster, but overall, like the idea whenever we get these sent these stories a lot that are like, hey, a piece of dark chocolate every day can reduce the roost of a risk of diabetes. And every time I'm like, that doesn't even appeal to me. Not even one square chocolate day. That doesn't appeal to me at.
Speaker 1: All, especially like the high cacao doc chocolates that are like seventy percent. It's not a pleasant experience to have some some bitter chalk in your mouth and I feel.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, I'm not into it. Hopefully you're not too hungover. Hopefully you're up and at him and taking on twenty twenty five. Twenty twenty five feels realer to me that that field. Maybe it is just because it's a multiple of five, but something, but it it feels like we've reached a science fiction Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I agree with that. I mean, we are doing a story about vodka powered robots, like we are in the future already. I also think I don't know what my plan is right for New Year's Eve. But right now, right now, my wife might disagree with me, but right now, I don't want to do anything on New Year's Eve.
Speaker 2: Well, if you want to do nothing together, we could. We could figure that out.
Speaker 1: Just lay face down on your carpet, just.
Speaker 2: Watch some movies until ten pm ish and then just call tonight. Do They're like, I'm ahead out, and I'm like, that's fine, I don't need to ring it in. Even though we had Kathy Griffith on the show and I got I wish somebody would give her another New Year's Eve countdown. She was so funny at it.
Speaker 1: She was so funny. There is no comparison other than watching that one gentleman get a little drunk.
Speaker 2: Andy Cohen and oh gosh, what Anderson Cooper. But they kind of got pulled back, they got the rains pulled in because everybody's so prudish and boring. Now, like there should be one countdown that's called like drunk fast Foo Bar Countdown Extravaganza, and it's just like adults only Yeah, we could be adults.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is so many channels out there, so much streaming content. Why isn't there called the fucked Up New Year? And it's what everyone else on New Year's Eve was doing. Yeah, why isn't that? It'd be great television. You just have to like manage it. You'd have to have one. You'd have to have like a Davitel level person who can get hammered and still host that show.
Speaker 2: That show Insomniac. Insomniac was one. It's so referenced and If you don't know what the show a TV show Insomniac with Dave Chapelle's it's probably on Paramount Plus because it was a Viacom Comedy Central show and it only went a few seasons, but it had such an impact. And basically, Dave is one of the great stand up comics of all time. He'd be in a city and after doing a couple of sets, he would just go out and start drinking with locals and find things to do, activities, trouble and he's so well, he's so funny off the cuff, but he's also just so damn likable. And then, as Kurt is saying, he was a true world class drinker, I'm not sure if he is anymore, but he was.
Speaker 1: I mean last time I saw him. Last time I saw him was in uh, Las Vegas at a Las Vegas comedy festival. Have I talked about I'm sure I've talked to about this. The comedy festival that was so delightful lasted one year because they flew all the comics on a private jet and then we got off and a show girl handed us a bottle of champagne at ten am, and that everyone did shows to.
Speaker 2: Like four people.
Speaker 1: It was amazing, But you did.
Speaker 2: Tell that story, and it's a great story. Also, if you don't have a resolution yet and it's it's January first or second, the first week at twenty twenty five, you can always make your resolution not to care about New Year's Eve next year, because people spend a lot of money to go to clubs and bars and fancy restaurants. They spend hundreds, sometimes up to one thousand dollars for champagne toasts or whatever it is, and then you fall down the stairs or you roll your ankle or whatever goes wrong. Just know that there really is no expectation. Just I would say, look within, and then spend time with people that you actually like, no frenemies on New Year's Eve twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I always enjoyed New Year's Eve in my twenties and thirties, like because it was I was just like, yeah, we'll just go do drugs and drink a lot and it'll be a delight, yes, And it was always like really fun. I always remember like being like yeah, like at midnight, like on a bunch of molly, being like we're ever gonna die? And now it just does it feels, it feels I'm over. I remember one of my favorite New Yar's Eve's was in New Jersey. I don't think I haven't really did anything the night before it was when my mom was sick and I was living in New Jersey. And then the next morning, Lauren and I and my buddy Steve Sheen went to Asbury Park and did a polar plunge at like eight am, and it was so awesome. It was I mean, it was probably thirty degrees out, the water was probably I don't know, thirty two, thirty six degrees and it felt amazing. And I think that's what I want my new thing to be. Like New Year's Day is about, like the rebirth. It's not about like feeling like shit. I hate feeling like shit on New Year's Day.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's what I'm saying. You can hang it up next year. And also with that story, the thing that made me cringe inside the hardest was having to get up and get out there at eight am. Like if you were like, we're going to do a Newyear's Day plunge, it's super cold, I'm like one pm, two pm. Then I'm in. I'm all in I just didn't want to get up early and ride the train out there. That to me seems like the biggest suffering of all those early morning train rides.
Speaker 1: Man, who you know, Man, you don't have children. I'm up at six no matter what.
Speaker 2: No, I've been up getting up earlier and earlier myself.
Speaker 1: You are usually up pretty early, like you text me sometimes seven am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I usually pop up at seven.
Speaker 1: Usually get up. You're just your biological clockworks out way.
Speaker 2: I think so. Also, I don't drink as much anymore too, so I'm not waking up hungover anything like that. And I just have so much work to do. I have so much writing, and I think I'm a little more fluid and creative and lucid in the morning. So yeah, if I get up and drink coffee and get down to my office and start writing by like eight, I can be done by nine thirty or ten, And then I just feel like I've already won the day and I can go on and do other things and be available to other people, which is nice, are you like?
Speaker 1: I mean, like we've just recorded so many episodes so close to each other. Was it a bananas that we were talking about that there was like a scientific study where people were like, there is no such thing as at night owl.
Speaker 2: We did talk about that a few ups ago, because yeah, I heard that, but yes, also I think I heard it on the Huberman podcast or that guy that's I don't know, super popular. It seems seemingly obsessed with sleep. But yeah, and then there's a story and a book about like taking people out into the woods and within three days they're going to sleep within ninety minutes of sundown or something. Oh yeah, it's like a crazy like the switch changes when you're out there with real Cicadian rhythms.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitively. That's what they call nine PM is a hiker midnight.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fun. We've been getting the story and I didn't do it yet. You might have gotten it, but you were just saying, how you know how wild you used to go? You have that one tag, and I think it's in your current set about just like I used to be cool, I used to do cocaine. Because you're talking about your kids, I think calling you bro, I think it's in that yea Joe. Yeah, and there's a story. I don't know if you saw it, and I'll find it. So we can do it because a lot of animals send it about a man who spent five hundred thousand plus dollars to get an OnlyFans type person to call him bro. Yeah, did you say yeah story?
Speaker 1: Yes, I just read the tagline and I was like, I don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is bananas because it's so much money, like bankrupt it is. It's just like maybe it's too sad. But I will say the translation. It made me think of you right away, because Bro is like I'll call it a bro for ten bucks, I'll call him bro for an egg McMuffin. And but I think I think in one of the articles it was saying it's the closer it would be like daddy, it would be like being like high daddy. So I think it just translates different. But Bro is so funny to just have your kids calling you Bro. But then also just to be like I really want this topless woman just to be like, what's up? Bro?
Speaker 1: I mean like it's a yeah. You never can understand people's internal internal turn ons. It is a very layered process.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. There's a lid for every weird pot, for sure. Let's talk about cheerios and vodka.
Speaker 1: I love this so much. I found this one. Vodka powered robots harness Cheerio's inspired physics for movement in bizarre experiment. This was in tech Spot, Scottie, now you've been You were telling me a little bit about how much text Spot meant to you.
Speaker 2: I was. I loved text spots so much that I actually print out the entire website every day. But I don't ever want to be without it. So I put a fax machine in every room in my house. And I've just been faxing articles from room to room for about two years now, and I've never been happier.
Speaker 1: Hey, right, you didn't regret it.
Speaker 2: That is the thing, not a single paper cut. The sound. A lot of people don't like the sound of a fax machine booting up and connecting to the phone modem, but for me, it's worth it every single time.
Speaker 1: This was written by Zoe Ahmed.
Speaker 2: I mean cool, great name, cool name.
Speaker 1: Best in the biz, zo Ahmed. Okay, what is certainly one of the quirkiest science demonstrations we've seen. Reached have taken inspiration from a phenomenon observed in cheerios to create tiny robots powered by vodka. It's just a proof of concept for now, but the team says the robots could potentially be used for environmental cleanup or industrial processes. The bots were developed by a team led by Jackson Witt at Harvard University. I don't know if that's real. As reported by New Scientists, they experimented with three D printed plastic pucks around a centimeter wide. Oh, that's bigger than I thought it would be, each containing an air chamber for buoyancy and a miniature fuel tank. But instead of traditional fuel, they filled the tanks with varying concentrations of alcohol ranging from ten to fifty percent. When the pucks were placed in water, the alcohol gradually leaked out, setting off what's known as the Marangoni effect. This occurs when a fluid with lower surface tension rapidly spreads across a fluid with higher surface tension. As the alcohol, with its lower surface tent and spread over the water, it propelled the little robots across the surface. This is the same phenomenon that allows some species of beetles to skim on the water surface. So I didn't know that. But instead of using alcohol, they use special secretions that act as a surfectant oh, that's a new word and propel the beetle forward. The thing with vodka is that it's pricier compared to some other types of alcohol, like beer. However, as new scientists know, it's going with the strongest beverage. Was a choice, great question, is it?
Speaker 2: Because I Boston pop off all those those are things were like three ninety nine a liter. Back in the day.
Speaker 1: I get a one point seventy five of costca of Kirkland vodka, which was voted by Wirecutter as the best vodka. It beat out all the other vodkas, including to I. Now I am drinking it. It's made of corn. It's exactly like Tito's, but it's it's more distilled. They six times distill it. I'm a big fan. I started drinking it after I read that wirecutterdo thirteen dollars for a one point seven five that's yeah crazy.
Speaker 2: That's yeah. That's cheaper than beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's cheaper than beer. So they should get into the Kirkland anyway. Higher alcohol concentrations simply work better as a fuel source for achieving greater propulsion, with Wilt noting that beer would not be as effective. Indeed, some experiments saw the pucks motor along for up to five hundred seconds at peak speeds of around six centimeters a second.
Speaker 2: Six centimeters a second, Okay, so that's like three inches a second. Yeah, something like that. Two point two.
Speaker 1: Centimeters are smaller, centimeters are smaller.
Speaker 2: Oh the other way? Yeahah yeah, oopsie.
Speaker 1: The only reason is because I have a joke about that too.
Speaker 2: Let's go about one inch. Then we're going about one inch. Damn, that's a pretty good one. I remember. Yeah, those water striders when your kid, those little bugs that could just skate on top of the surface. I think about those.
Speaker 1: Oh a lot. I love them. So we would will go up to into the Angels National Forest on like a hot day, just so much cooler up there, Yeah it is, and it's so nice. And we'll just go to a big old river which is like you think there's no cool rivers near La other than the La River, and it's I mean like there's just so many up there. Yeah, and just sit by a rushing mountain stream and there's so many of those little water bugs. All loves them. It's a real treat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're fun. They are very again, they're very they they're like animation. They're like watching nature that seems like it's animated.
Speaker 1: That stuff so fun, man, I know about that that they that's the way they do.
Speaker 2: It is I guess, so that's what I'm done. Yeah, Sometimes you're you know when you run out of the Internet, like you know, when you have a really boring job or you're sick, you just have a long day and you check all your your main five sites or whatever. You scrolled all the social media, like I have found myself in the past, like youtubing world record, rock skipping and stone skipping and just watching these guys, mostly guys. There are definitely women involved in this too, but it's mostly guys and just solitary men with stones and flat legs. And these guys they're getting twenty, they're getting tons, and I'm like, look at that. It's so aspirational. As you're in middle age, you're just like, maybe this is some hobby I'll take up one day too.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I mean like I have such a I have such a deep, deep connection to just throwing rocks and water.
Speaker 2: Yes, why is it so nice?
Speaker 1: Why is it so important? Why is it so great?
Speaker 2: This is so fun?
Speaker 1: I think I told this story years ago legitimately, but I had gone up and I lived in the woods by myself for about a month when I was twenty two, and it was really lonely, and that was like my whole deal. I went up there to be alone without being lonely. That was like my plan as a twenty two year old, and I was very lonely the whole time. Then I decided, Okay, I'm going to call my mom. I'm going to wake up the next day and I want to call my mom because and I'm going to tell her to come pick me up because I can't do this anymore. This was like day twenty five or something. And then I sat down in front of this little pond and I just started throwing rocks and watching the ripples go out. Yes, and before I knew it, this is never happened. I went up there looking for some sort of vision quest, you know, and not knowing what it would be, and just threw these little pebbles and then all of a sudden, it's dark and I like, look around, and it's dark out and I've been sitting there, I don't know for how long, and I realized that for the first time since being up there like I had finally finally actually let go, finally actually been in the moment and finally actually kind.
Speaker 2: Of like love that.
Speaker 1: I didn't hit a level of enlightenment or anything. No, that was like the first and then after that I was like, oh, I'm fine, I can make it. So then I made it for the rest of the month. I called her. I didn't call her the next day, so.
Speaker 2: Not too bad. Yeah, I mean, I think that's one cool thing about me is I've never looked for enlightenment in my entire life. I've never sought it out. I don't care about enlightenment. As you were saying that, I'm like I was trying to think of myself at sixteen or twenty or twenty five. Never once have I ever looked for more. And as a huge consumer of you know, true crime documentaries about colts and well mostly cults, every single one starts with the person sitting in the chair and then somebody's like, I just got broken up with and I thought there was more to life than this. I just got fired, and I was looking for meaning and purpose, And every time I sit there, I'm like, instantly I'm on a different side of the line from the people in these things. I'm like you, you buffoons. But it's obviously the majority of people are looking for meaning and purpose. I mean, you go to any Barnes and Noble, the biggest sections are always like the here, here's a secret to happiness. Here, here's how not to care about anything and be awesome. I should write a book called Here's not to care about anything and be awesome.
Speaker 1: That is a great Honestly, it is a great idea. I love that idea.
Speaker 2: For be a best seller. Just going don't worry about that'd be awesome. And then figure out how to write a guitar solo on a page, on a plain novel page. Yeah, I've just never looked. Yeah, maybe I'll get to it. Maybe I'll get around to it when I'm done being awesome. But yeah, I just what's the meaning of life? I don't know.
Speaker 1: The meaning of life is to live it. The meaning of life is to experience life.
Speaker 2: That's fine, That's enough for me. That's plenty. You masked Buddy. A friend of mine sent this in Josh Madden, Hey, Josh, I'm glad you listened to the podcast. Nice to see it. The live shows occasionally really appreciate you listening. Harvard is for nerds. Will Smith let out a fart so bad on Men in Black set, it had to be evacuated for three hours, for three hours.
Speaker 1: Who is quoted in this story? This is the silliest.
Speaker 2: Thing the director, What dude, This story is incredbl and I actually downloaded the director's book just based on this article. It's just written. This was in People magazine, so you know it's about people. It's about people, ripping toots.
Speaker 1: And fascinated that this was in People magazine.
Speaker 2: Big article. And if you're talking ripping toots, you're talking Angel Saunders, best in the biz. He can really or he can really? Are they who cares? The point is when I talk about rippin' toots, you get on the Sunders. Happy New Year to the entire Saunders family. Will Smith was getting gassy with it. Oh that I read that wrong. Will Smith was getting gassy with it on the set of Men in Black. According to the film's director, Barry Sonenfeld, very famous.
Speaker 1: Dirrector, very famous director.
Speaker 2: Also, I believe was the cinematographer for early Coen Brothers movies. I think I think he's the real deal. Barrysnenfeld, who directed the nineteen ninety seven intergalactic action blockbuster, which is a great movie, kurb, I watched it recently. That movie holds up really.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever watched it from tip to tail.
Speaker 2: It's a great movie.
Speaker 1: I've watched all of it, but I don't know if I've ever sat and watched the whole.
Speaker 2: Very creative, it must have, very creative, very good. And then the next one's just the same thing but just slightly different, which is smart. Appeared as a guest on le Let's Talk Off Camera with Kelly Rippa on Wednesday. During their conversation, released the day after Sonenfeld's new book, Best Possible Place, Where Possible Time was released. Again, I downloaded it. I'll report back, okay, he shared a little known fact about the Academy Award winner. Sonenfeld recalled that Smith and his co star Tom Lee Jones, who Poor Tray's Agent K, were filming scene together where a car they were traveling in at super high speeds transforms. To get the shot, Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith playing Agent J needed to be hermetically sealed in the pod that was being used as their mode of transportation. Oh, they were locks to prevent it from opening and falling. Sonenfeld told Kelly Rippa, I say, roll, Cameron, I hear Will Smith go, oh Jesus, so sorry, Tommy. I'm so sorry, Boz. Get the ladder and you hear Tommy saying that's fine. Will, No worries Will, don't worry Will. According to the director, he was clueless as what prompted the apologies, so he raised the ladder over. Tommy reaches his legout as the ladder's coming over, and he races down the stairs. And what happened was Will Smith is a farther son and felt alleged some people are just fartherers, which I love that. Some people are just farters. I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: They digests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some people, it's just the way John made them. Still, still being stuck inside a very small, her medically filled space with Will Smith, fart might not be the best to play be. The enchanted director continued, you don't even want to be sitting next to him at the Disney ranch on and Feld said, I mean Barry is just going in on it. We're okay with that. We evacuate the stage for about three hours and that's incredible. No, he's, you know, a lovely guy. He just farts. Some do some don't. Great quotes this When I read this, I'm like, boy, I'm reading this book so fast.
Speaker 1: It is Also, I do wonder would could this have been a talking point on this podcast if it weren't for the slab, if he was still like the king, you know, if he was still top of the game. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think publicly publicly assaulting another person not a great thing to do. We are against all public and private assaults and also private farts, but that's a different thing. One thing Smith's gas power couldn't overpower was the film success. Men in Black, grossed five hundred and eighty four million worldwide Angel You Got Me There, becoming the third highest grossing movie of nineteen ninety seven. Smith and Sonenfeld went on to work together in Wild Wild West, the steampunk classic Wild wild West, Men in Black two, and Men in Black three. Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, Where were you when you saw Wild wild West?
Speaker 2: Well? I probably I think that was a fourth of July movie, So I bet I was at a movie theater in Ocean City, Maryland.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: I think that would have been a summer Yeah, I think it would have been a summer vacation. Packed up the old Ford Taurus station wagon and probably drove it to Ocean City, Maryland, seventy five street.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, and I was trying to remember. I think you know what I was thinking of when I asked you that question, because I don't exactly know where I was in wild I was think it was in Michigan. But I remember the summer that the Willennium summer that the song.
Speaker 2: Yeah will send song mm hmm. He had to get jiggy with it, get jiggy with it was a big song for him.
Speaker 1: No, Summertime, Oh that was a great song. What year was summertime? Do was summertime out around that time?
Speaker 2: I mean ninety I would guess nineteen ninety that.
Speaker 1: Was That was the nineties, Okay, summertime. I remember that I was. I remember being in Michigan and having a tape.
Speaker 2: I think I take ninety one.
Speaker 1: That was ninety one. Damn that I that's ninety one. I was already in high school.
Speaker 2: And he's already famous. Damn.
Speaker 1: And he's already famous. Yeah, man, but he's not a movie star yet. No, No, no, No, he's a TV.
Speaker 2: Star maybe, but yeah, Summertime nineteen ninety one, My goodness.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I love that song. That's a great song.
Speaker 2: Hey, nineties hip hop is undefeated. Everybody knows this, right, everybody knows it. Nineties R and B undefeated. I watched that yacht rock documentary that's on Netflix. Yeah, and they kind of pivot into like what killed yacht rock? Michael Jackson is the answer. He was so famous that Thriller changed music and the way people made music.
Speaker 1: Oh, I agree with that. I think I was given. I was gifted Thriller by like a child at a birthday party, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean everybody was. I was everywhere. It was MTV, so you had to like look good. You had to be Prince and or Donner Michael Jackson, Yeah, you had you had to look awesome or Michael Jackson's Thriller. But it was cool because their quest loves on it. And a couple of the commentators are talking about how all black white didn't matter who you were. You did like certain yacht rock songs and singers, and also that there was like black yacht rock like George Benson and now Dureaux and like yeeah. Yeah, I'm like, yeah, those songs fucking good. So it was a better time, That's what I'm saying. And and pretty soon it's just all gonna be AI making songs that hit every single thing that you actually love in a song every time you listen to it, until we just are all just staring at each other and smiling. Do you have those big over the year headphones like in life, you know, like the Apple ones?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The reason I have them is for flights there They're noise canceling phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I see people walking around my neighborhood wearing those all the time by themselves, and I'm like, insane. I know, our Mountain lion is gone, but if you don't think a pack of coyotes can run up on you in Los Angeles, you gotta pay attention, folks.
Speaker 1: I mean, pack co coyotes is my the least of my concerns in a city.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm being generous.
Speaker 1: Human being another human being like to publicly advertise that you cannot hear someone coming at to. What I'm saying is lunacy is lunacy.
Speaker 2: It's like I've said this before on the pod I'll say again, the people that wear flip flops in New York City. I'm like, who do you think you are? You know how many things you might have to run away from here? Yeah, you need shoes that are going to stay on those walk through.
Speaker 1: You could get a you could get a hot dog stuck in between your toes.
Speaker 2: That is easy, easily, best scenario.
Speaker 1: Best case scenario. You got a hot dog. Then you got a hot dog that's not vomit on your foot, on your foot, that's easy, thecs on your actual foot.
Speaker 2: When you're in New York City, cover those feet. People. You might have to run, you might have to fight, you might have to run a beachtirs, this isn't the beach. This isn't the beach. You could get a hot dog in your toes. Okay, think about that.
Speaker 1: I mean that could happen at the beach too, but listen, it's much more likely to happen in the subway.
Speaker 2: And then the rats come for it, because you know, rats love a hot dog when it's at toe level. It's their number one type of food. Yep, where you're gonna run, You got your flip flops on. I don't call them thongs. Some people call flip flops and sandals thongs. I think it's like, you know the generation that says slacks and swim trunks and stuff.
Speaker 1: It's an Australian thing.
Speaker 2: I don't say thongs. It just is too confusing.
Speaker 1: Also, there's a thing called a thong.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I wonder what Australians call thombs.
Speaker 2: They call them sandals. No, I mean, I like on Valentine's Day when my girlfriend wears her sandals, it's saying, hey, you're weird. You got a foot thing.
Speaker 1: Dude, you got a foot thing.
Speaker 2: I wish I did it be easier if I did.
Speaker 1: Shay teezy into a.
Speaker 2: I would love to do some thumbs up. This is a fun app. I'm having a good time.
Speaker 1: Pizza Hut China releases Goblin pizza with a whole frog on it.
Speaker 2: He stopped it. I was like, is that it sounds cool with a whole frog on it? Uh? Okay. I got a bunch here because this is the beginning of the year and I'm trying to catch up, so I'm going to do as many as I can. Mm hmm okay. Baby Lungs wants to thumb her murder banana husband her murder banana husband Kevin up for achieving the status. This is a first on the pod of Master Groundwater Contractor in the National Groundwater Association. So he got It's basically like promoted or whatever. She achieved the status of Master groundwater contractor. Becoming a master means Kevin is being recognized for his exceptional knowledge and dedication to water well construction and pump installation. And apparently you get like an augusta green sport jacket to wear around at this association, at the National Groundwater Association that lets everybody know that you are a master of groundwater contracting. Wow, that comes up.
Speaker 1: That is a first. I wonder what's involved with it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you get a little cup like a somolier to taste the groundwater?
Speaker 2: Now that's a great idea. You just always have a person following behind you with a fresh cup of water. Once you've become a master of groundwater instruction, you could turn anywhere, anytime of day and there'll be a just a servant, a highly paid servant, handing you a fresh cup of h two um. Jake Lee says thumbs up today forgetting me to listen to bananas Jake is also thumbing himself up for getting on stage to do stand up and then getting top five in a stand up contest a week later, and now he's going to be doing or he's already doing a ten minute set and it's only a month later. Two thumbs up for Bananas for giving him writing inspiration. Thumbs up Todave for getting Jake into Bananas into Jake for trying something getting up the first times. The hardest part sounds like you're hook man. Sounds like your stand up to.
Speaker 1: Me, Yeah, that's great. Thumbs up, dude.
Speaker 2: M wants to thumb their partner a Vi l Up. Also thanks em for saying them they let me know your pronouns if I get them wrong in life and I didn't see him in the message, it's my apology. I really truly do my best. Wants to thumb their partner Aviel up Aviell graduated, got her doctorate in physical therapy and also passed her license exam. She worked really hard for five years and kicked its ass. EM also wants to thumb us up for providing a safe space for everyone and M, thank you for letting me know that you go as them I'm happy to do it. If I've ever not done it for you, when you send us a thumbs up, it just let me know I'm happy to do it. It could not be easier.
Speaker 1: It could it be easier.
Speaker 2: So thumbs up to everybody who lets me know before the fact and doesn't correct me after the fact. I'm doing my best. Here's a fun one Jax is doing. Two thumbs ups. One for the community of the Pole Academy in Greenville, South Carolina, pole dancing, Oh nice, if there's a better word than dancing, pole exercise, poll workouts, polarizing, whatever it's called. And one for our friends that I support the girls after here about I support the girls at Bananas Fest Jack's and the Pole Academy collective or collecting donations for women at a local homeless shelter Hall of December.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: That is so great. Thumbs up to you, Jack.
Speaker 1: Also, polarizing is such a good name for a pole dancing academy.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That was me panicking that I had gotten it wrong somehow, and that's the best I could do. Let me do two more. I just have so many Sorry about that, but I like them all. Here's a fun. Wow. Julia Peterson wants to thumb her nephew Jonah and his band Dead Shot up for releasing their first EP. It's called Not a Shot and it's apparently awesome, So thumbs up to Jonah and any ban animals who love music. You can check out Dead Shot and their first EP, not a Shot and Yeah. Julia says, it rules, so get into it.
Speaker 1: Shot sounds like it's a hardcore band.
Speaker 2: I hope it's yeah. And lastly, Crystal Fisher is thumbing herself up this one. Crystal has gone through it. Kurt, I'm just gonna give everybody the heads up. But Crystal's really gone through it. She's being She's clean and sober now for seven years, and she made it through a divorce, a house fire where she lost everything, COVID, caring for her father before he passed away, being audited, having a vehicle repossessed, also tearing for her mother. Crystal's had a bumpy road, but she's really proud of herself for staying sober, staying clean, and also getting her nursing license, returning to work as a registered nurse.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, awesome.
Speaker 2: I know, And Crystal says, even when I'm when I'm in the bad, I look for good in life. Crystal, Crystal credible thumbs up to you, Crystal, you deserve it. And also, let's go banana the week. We haven't done it for a while. Crystal Fisher, You're the banana of the week of the week. Keep marching forward, stay clean, keep working. You're doing great. Blue skies are coming.
Speaker 1: United States Government. As a person who has been audited four separate times where I actually incorporated, I stop auditing people.
Speaker 2: It's the worst.
Speaker 1: It's don't who aren't billionaires audit billionaires. It should be auditing. Don't audit one hundred thousand people who are making under a two hundred thousand dollars a year audit four billionaires, and then you get your money, like god damn it. It makes me so angry that they only target They only target people like normal people who are just struggling to get by. But the four times I got audited, I was probably making seventy five thousand dollars a year, you know what I mean, And they audited me over and over and over again because I had all these expenses that looked I could explain them all, but it was hours and hours and hours of work every year.
Speaker 2: Also, seventy five thousand dollars in New York City, there's a big difference, like seventy five thousand dollars in certain towns. You're like, hey, you're sitting pretty high on the hall in New York when half that money goes away, and then you also have agent, lawyer or manager, you're keeping thirty percent of what you make.
Speaker 1: Yeah, easily, it's very difficult.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah, yeah, go get the big guys.
Speaker 1: Go get the big guys. Also, I have a correction to issue. Great I think two episodes ago talking about the the fundraising that we're doing for people in Ashville that was created by Model Face Comedy. Correct and I incorrectly gendered Model Face Comedy as a dude, and I.
Speaker 2: Apologize, so sorry, it is a she.
Speaker 1: And so again that is still posted on our stories at people in Nashville still need help, so we will repost it again today. But please go and give what you can.
Speaker 2: That's wonderful, Thank you, Kurtie B. And here it is it back into it.
Speaker 1: This was a next Shark, love a next Shark.
Speaker 2: I know this article is quite a bit actually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pizza Hut China.
Speaker 2: Releases right Goblin.
Speaker 1: Release Goblin Face pizza top with fried hold frog here. This was written by Brian Ka. Thank you, Brian. Pineapple on a pizza may sound not so bad to some now after Pizza hut China released a pizza top with a whole frog announced on Pizza hut China's we chat on November eighteenth. The other Worldly menu, launched in collaboration with ten Cent for the game Dungeon and Fighter Origins, was released on Thursday and will be available nationwide until December nineteenth, so it's already gone right. Dubbed the Goblin Pizza, the pizza contained a deep fried whole bullflog resting on coriander with halm. I mean, it's so terrifying looking. Listen to this with halved hard boiled eggs and black olives serving as its eyes. So imagine a pizza and then it has eyeballs, bulging white eyeballs with black olives as the eyes, and then the nose is the body of the frog, and then its legs are doing kind of a mouth shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's a not a pizza. Whatever want to eat? I like all food.
Speaker 1: It's terrifying looking dub the Goblin pizza. Frog legs are considered a common dish Southern China, dating back as far as the first century. They're pretty common in a lot of different places.
Speaker 2: I was shot.
Speaker 1: I was surprised to find out.
Speaker 2: We ordered.
Speaker 1: We went to Carousel, you know that that Armenium place. It's delightful, like just there you can get like a party platter or whatever for the table, and it comes with frog legs. And it wasn't until I was like halfway in going this is this chicken?
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 1: Because they were like fried, you know, yeah, And then I was like, oh, these are frog legs. And I was like, well look at that. Now I've had them.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't realize you hadn't had them before. Yeah, that's a that's a crazy topping for a pizza. And also I guess it is pizza hut. I didn't realize they would do such a viral marketing in China. But what do I know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Anything about marketing and China. Who am I kidding? I'm a total bozo when it comes to these things. But I will say that does sound disgusting, even just hard boiled eggs on pizza that alone would be a goblin pizza, and I like a hard boiled egg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's what I'll say. We're not judging anybody's culture. We're just saying, let's not have bones on pizza.
Speaker 2: You don't need bones on pizza.
Speaker 1: Let's not have a ton of bones on pizza. So that seems to be rule number.
Speaker 2: One about pizza.
Speaker 1: You want to be able to just eat it without a ton of a ton of little bones in your mouth.
Speaker 2: That's true. You just want to be able to fold it and chew it and not swallow an animal's bones. That seems like a fair thing. Yeah, that's a fair cut off for judging a pizza. The value of a pizza, I don't know. I like, Elie is going through a pizza renaissance right now. In every direction there's a new pizza place and they're all good. And when I moved out here, when you moved out here, people were like, the pizza here sucks, it's terrible, it's awful, And now, oh my gosh, it is. So it's actually like overwhelming where you're like, I'm kind of sick of eating pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also and like the fact that like new York was always just it's the water, you can't recreate it. And it's like, no, it has nothing to do with the water. You totally can recreate it. That's what I always didn't understand. It's like, why don't people who live in New York who know how to do this come here and live here and it's a very pleasant place to live and make great pizza. And now they have yeah, and it is a delight.
Speaker 2: It is late to be here.
Speaker 1: Really, La is experiencing a food renaissance, I would say right now, because I remember living in New York where it would be like you could kind of just go wherever and end up getting a pretty good meal, great like a random sushi place that you've never heard of. Before you sit down, you're like, that was good sushi in La. It wasn't that way when we moved here twelve years ago. You would go to a random place and be like, what is this? This is horrible.
Speaker 2: You'd go to a popular place that it would be horrible. It just things change. There's a big takeaway from this episode. It's things change, sometimes good, sometimes bad. Sometimes they're deep frying a frog and tossing it on your delicious pizza pie for really no reason.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Be awesome, It doesn't matter, be awesome. This one. Magali sent this in Migaully Peaches, who we married at Bananas Fest to Alex Hey, hey, you guys rule longtime listener, friend of the show woman starts fires during wildfire season to flirt with firemen. Oh lord, I know we're right in the middle. There's Malibu fires right right now now, and the smoke outside my house was pretty bad yesterday.
Speaker 1: It's pretty bad today here here in at Water Newsweek.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, and ask that's a cool name. My apologies to Anezka pick Oh, there's an R in here. That's tough, okay, Picturetva. I'm going Pickertova, Pickertova, p I c h R t O v A. The R in there got me. I thought it was just pictova are picturetova Azka is a very cool name.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: I like that. A woman from the Greek town of Tripoli has been accused of intentionally starting fires because she liked watching the firemen work and wanted to have a chance to flirt with them. Oh why does that get me so good? That is just such a disconnect for reality. She was arrested and sentenced the three years in prison and a fine of people. I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seems like, yeah, I mean I'm imagining they're little fires, large fires.
Speaker 2: That's right. I guess it's the size of the fire you're imagining. But it's an island. You might get stuck. Cool, yes, and a fine. Oh no, I guess she was just in Tripoli. I thought she was on an island. There are a lot of Grecian islands. She was arrested. Oh and find one eleven dollars, which was like a joke.
Speaker 1: That's a really funny number. Hopefully it's an eleven sense.
Speaker 2: At eleven seit's to be paid November eleventh on according eleven, Did you ever kiss our dat? Anybody that would kiss their hand and then kiss the clock when in the car went set eleven eleven?
Speaker 1: No, but I definitely would. Eleven eleven was definitely important to me in my high school time. It would just be like everybody, it's a solemn moment, make a wish.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a wishing time. There was a big thing in Maryland, at least when I was in high school, where it's like the girls would kiss the clock, kiss their hand, kiss the clock in the car, or they would kiss their hand and kiss the and to touch their hand to the roof of the car at eleven. That's patental rules. Yeah, well we do things different down there. The woman committed acts of arson in August, setting two farming areas near Tripoli on fire. The fire brigade was able to quickly extinguish the blaze in both cases. Local TV channel Ski Skai reported that the firefighters were suspicious of the woman as she had appeared at both scenes.
Speaker 1: Hey what are you guys doing? This is a fire here?
Speaker 2: Just looking great, holding fluid? Yeah, just burnt hands, no eyebrows, his eyebrows sinched off, eyelashes blowing away like ashes. She blinks at them. I sound like a good blink at you. They were suspicious because the woman appeared both scenes. They brought her in for questioning, and she reportedly told them she started the fire to flirt with the men who came to put them out. The woman reportedly wasn't looking for any specific man, but wanted to meet someone wearing a uniform, per the outlet. The channel added that this was an easy way for her to do that, so starting a fire is usually a great way to get fireman's attention if I am in at a difficult job putting out the fires down as it was near a residential area and a lot of people showed up to watch. According to the Greek reporter, starting wildfire, even by accident, is a criminal offense. Minister for Climate Crisis Vasillis Achillius announced it on June as a warning that even a small fire can cause large damage during wildfire season, which is very true in California. I mean, I'm looking out the window now and it is kind of gray and yellow out. The time to stay inside the blaze. Greece is also currently battling an extreme drought. I think that's the main thing.
Speaker 1: So so three years in the cliff though, I mean, that's that's serious.
Speaker 2: That's serious.
Speaker 1: Just to meet a man in uniform, I tell you that whole idea of it's different women finding men attractive if they're wearing a uniform. I don't think it's I don't think it's across the board, of course, because I'm a referee for the Olive soccer team and that uniform it is definitively a uniform. It is long, black socks, black shorts, a bright yellow shirt tucked in in a black baseball hat, and that is the I don't think anybody is excited about that man.
Speaker 2: In that Yes, yeah, I think I think that's not exactly.
Speaker 1: The uniform they were thinking of, not the.
Speaker 2: One that women like a man in uniform. But what do I know, maybe that does drive somebody absolutely bananas.
Speaker 1: Who knows, well, folks, that's another episode of Bananas. Thank you so much for listening to this podcast. Thank you to Lisa Maggott, are beloved, full human, full human part time employee, and Katie Levine, who is our wonderful and talented producer.
Speaker 2: Thank you Scotty, Thank you Kurty B. I'm looking forward to another great year of bananas. Bananas is an exactly right media production.
Speaker 1: Our producer and engineer is Katie Levine.
Speaker 2: The catchy Bananas theme song was composed and performed by Kahon.
Speaker 1: Artwork for Bananas was designed by Travis Millard and.
Speaker 2: Our benevolent overlords are the great Karen Kilgareff and Georgia Hartstar
Speaker 1: And Lisa Maggott is our full human, not a robot intern.