Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Hey Bessie's today on the bright side. It's Wellness Wednesday, y'all, and the nobs Bord certified dermatologist, doctor Charene Idris, is here to share the best and worst ingredients for our skin, which products are worth the splurge and weather Filler is aging us. It's Wednesday, July tenth. I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 1: I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright side from Hello Sunshine, Simone. We're talking about skincare today. I gotta know what's your regimen. Give it to me.
Speaker 2: So my regimen is largely focused around my needs, which is I have acne prone skin. I have for my entire adulthood, and so I have spent so many hours inside the dermatologist's office, Danielle. But during that process, throughout all the pain and all the pokes and prods that I've endured, I have learned so much about my skin. Ye. So my routine is very simple and straightforward. I use a very gentle cleansing jelly by a brand called Notarium, female owned sold it target very affordable, it's awesome. After that, I put on azilaic acid in the morning and at nights azuleic acid fifteen percent great to keep your skin clear and reduce any discoloration. After that, I put on an SPF which is by a brand called Zitstika. It's a noncametogenic SPF that doesn't make you break out or make your skin feel greasy. And then at nights I do wash again, which I know is controversial, and then I put on azylic acid retinol for sleep and maybe some squalen oil or some sort of moisturizer.
Speaker 1: That's so good. You really got it all buttoned up.
Speaker 2: How about you? What does your routine look like?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna I'm not gonna front with any of this. In the morning, I wash my face with whatever face cleanser I have at the time, brand agnostic, it's whatever's there. And if I'm at a hotel, I'm happy to use the hand wash soap or the bar soap.
Speaker 2: I'll like use whatever is around. Oh my gosh, it's so drying. That strips your skin. I know, I know.
Speaker 1: And then I'll use a Keels face lotion and I use an SPF. That's the only thing I'm really consistent about. And at night, I do the same thing.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I sometimes use an under I cream if I can find one in my drawer, but I don't really have a regimen. And I've been to the dermatologist and they give me a regimen, but it's like four steps and I have random samples from them, and I know I'm supposed to do it in a certain order, and I just never totally understand what I'm doing. So here's my question for you, though, because I actually misspoke the other day. I said my great grandmother lived to one hundred and one. She lived till one hundred and three. My mom corrected me, wow, And she used like two things her whole life, and it was like Pond's face cream, which was like very of her time, and she.
Speaker 2: Had awesome skin.
Speaker 1: And part of me is like, I know there's science behind this, but does any of it actually matter, Like.
Speaker 2: Do you see a difference, Oh, my gosh, yes, okay, oh one thousand percent. I think a lot of it is the makeup of your skin, like the composition of your skin, the oil ratio on your skin, like a lot of that is really important. I think it just depends on the person. Like you can wash your face with the hotel bar soap. I cannot do that because it'll strip my skin and my skin will freak out and get irritated. But I mean, I am loving where my skin is at right now, and it's because of the active ingredients I'm using. Aslic acid is like a wonder ingredient. I had used it in the past and then I stopped using it for some reason. I rediscovered it recently. It is like a game changer. It's amazing. So yes, I believe in skincare. It can actually work.
Speaker 1: I'm actually really excited today because our guest is doctor Sharene Idris. She's a board certified dermatologist who's research backed talk. She's real as it gets, has garnered millions of followers on Instagram and TikTok. She's one of the Internet's favorite dermatologists and really an expert in the skin issues associated with aging. So here she is busting myths about the holy grail of skincare, which is retinal.
Speaker 3: Ren It all lies that needs to die from a forty year old board certified dermatologists who also happens to be a Rentinoll veteran.
Speaker 2: Number one.
Speaker 3: You cannot use rentin all in the summer. This should die because the earth is round and some climates are summer all year round, and everybody can use a rentinoll if they can tolerate it.
Speaker 2: I am with Doctor Idris on this one. Retinols, retinoids, give me all of them. Back in twenty eighteen, doctor Idris was so frustrated by all the skincare misinformation she saw on social media that she decided to set the record straight herself by breaking down her own nighttime skincare routine using the hashtag pillow talk derm. So that term pillow talk derm took off very quickly, and it turned into her answer follower questions about which products and procedures are worth it and which ones are just marketing. And believe me, she did not hold back well.
Speaker 1: Six years later, her skin is just as glassy as it was back then. And I know you can't see it, but either check Instagram or trust me, because I promise it is. And she has a science back skincare line available at Sephora. Doctor Idris is here with us today to talk about her hero ingredients, the truth about filler, and how to care for your skin at whatever age you're at.
Speaker 2: Doctor Idris, Welcome to the bright side.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me. It's brighter already with you guys here.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 2: We are so excited to have you. We can't wait to get the real, real from you. But before we get started, can you tell us a little bit about yourself. What would you say is your skincare philosophy.
Speaker 3: My skincare philosophy is that it is about consistency over intensity, like you really want to be going after your skin's biggest problems and not falling into the sphere of missing out on skincare, which a lot of people have and they end up buying themselves problems along the way. Wow, they can't fit because they're stuck in this tornado of a skincare world. And so it's really about being consistent. It's not about going wrong and strong, but being consistent with what it is that is targeting your biggest problem.
Speaker 1: This is exactly what I wanted to ask you about, because while I love skincare, I feel like it has been taken over by capitalism. There was an article in the Cut that compared skincare to a psychological safety blanket, which I thought was a really great comparison. In my opinion, the internet is sort of to blame. But what do you think is behind our obsession with skin care?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the US has finally caught up to the rest of the world in the sense that they're finally trying to understand how do you skincare? Why are we using it? And that's because of the pandemic, right we were all locked up, we were not wearing makeup. I think our culture over this side of the world is pretty much like cover it up, slap on some makeup, ignore it like you know, like you never really focused on our skin as much as we did on makeup which covered it up. And over the past four years ish, the focus has shifted and we are now looking more towards how do we make our skin better because we had time to try to understand what was on the market and how it actually worked. And I don't mind going slow as long as people understand the philosophy in order to understand how to better help themselves. That to throw craft in the market just because you want to try to gain virality or you're trying to like appeal to a younger generation who could push a product or brand further, and unfortunately it's just become overloaded in that sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we live in drop culture right now, and so you want to have a drop every month, and it's just it's not necessary.
Speaker 3: It's not necessary, like everything great was once new, but not everything new is great, and you have to remind yourself that with skincare, especially like tried and Chruse or tried and Chruse for a reason. And if it really is great, then in two years it's still going to be great. So there's no need to feel like you're missing out if you don't jump on it today.
Speaker 2: Well said Well, in addition to being a dermatologist, I mean, you have this huge social media audience and you start all your videos the same way. You say, I'm a fourty year old board certified dermatologist. Why do you feel the need to start with your age in your videos.
Speaker 3: It's so funny. I started that on a whim last year when I was thirty nine, and it just kind of clicked and stuck. And it's funny because people are like, oh, you're filtered. Oh, you do a million cosmetic procedures. Oh but you're only twenty nine, Oh but oh but oh but oh but but no, there's no o butts. Like I'm as transparent as it gets. It's not like I'm a celebrity who's hiding plastic surgery that I had on my face or some kind of procedure that I've had. So I figured if I started it by just removing the veil and just stating what I am, exactly as I am, it would get rid of all of those comments. And it didn't fully get rid of the comments. But I guess it clicks and people like to hear my age now before I present myself, so I think that's going to be going on for a while. But yeah, I am a forty year old word certified dermatologist.
Speaker 2: So what is the secret behind that forty year old glass skin that I'm seeing right here?
Speaker 1: It really is glass.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest. Do you have an elaborate skincare routine or you have a lessons more kind of girly.
Speaker 3: Very honestly, Like my sinker line was born from my philosophy less is more. And there was a time when I had a twelve step skincare routine, and this was back in twenty nineteen after I had my son and I was literally using all these over the counterproducts to target my malasma and my discoloration because I couldn't be on prescriptions because I was breastfeeding, et cetera, et cetera, And so I had a twelve step skincurutine and it was completely unviable for life. It was not sustainable, it was a waste of my time. There was no way I could get through it. And I just felt like I was chasing something that I could never fully attain. And so when I would talk to my patients about having it even skin tone, I would also give them a to sep routine and their eyes would glaze over. And so when it came to starting a skincare line, I truly genuinely wanted to simplify problems with very simple solutions, and so I thought to myself, what are the ten twelve most important ingredients. I do not want to have bullshit marketing claims. I want them to be put in at levels of efficacy that have been demonstrated either by the manufacturers or through science through time, and I want to make sure that they make sense in the products that they're in. And so that's how the first three products were launched. And those are the staple of my skincure routine. I have been using them every single day since August of twenty twenty one, a year prior to launch, when I finalized the formulas, and I obviously am testing different things as we go along, but the hypercereum and the moisturizer are the two things that I use consistently every single day, twice a day. And sounds freen.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest lie that we're fed about our skin, that.
Speaker 3: We need moisture moisture moisture, like you don't need hyaluronic as I said, you don't need moisturizers every single day of the year and every single climate that you live in. I think it depends on your skin type. I think it depends on the climate that you live in, and I think it depends on your stage of life and what it is you're trying to target. But this whole idea that we need to constantly hydrate our skin, I think it's an easy sell because people know that hydration is a thing, so you don't have to convince the public of that. But the reality is over moisturizing your skin can break your skin barrier down and cause more problems down the road too. And if you live in a very humid climate and you're oily and you're more acme prone, do you really need to moisturize before you apply sunscreen? No, you don't, because the suns trens are a moisturizer skin enough. So I think that is one of the biggest lies that have been sold in perpetuity throughout the beauty industry throughout time because it's been an easy one to get your point across because people know that they want the skin to be hydrated.
Speaker 1: I actually think I always felt that, So thank you for clarifying. I've never heard that one. You debunked a good myth for me.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm excited, just the tip of the iceberg exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've got to hippods and take a break, but we'll be back to bust more skincare myths with doctor Serene Idris.
Speaker 1: We're back with doctor Sharene Idris, the Internet's favorite dermatologist.
Speaker 2: So, doctor Idris, earlier you mentioned that there are may be ten to twelve tried and true ingredients that we see over and over again in skincare. I want to talk about those. What are your must have hero ingredients.
Speaker 3: So remember what I said, though, target your routine based on your problem. And my biggest problem, genuinely truly is this coloration. I am Middle Eastern. Originally these to throw me in the sun when I was a kid, and I would burn to get some color because they thought it was healthy. Myth lie, do not repeat, and so the damage is done before you're twenty and so I would have sun spots coming up in my twenties and it wasn't until I had my son, my second IDF, where my malasma started to flare up and overnight I legitimately looked like the cryptkeeper. It really had an immense psychological toll on me. So for me, it's really about keeping my skin tone, even keeping that hyperpigmentation. Malasma at Bay over the counter is never going to treat malasma, but being on a routine that keeps your pigmentation suppressed will minimize how bad your malasma flares up. And I feel like I'm proof of that because I don't really use hydroquinone unless I just come back from the beach or somewhere really hot and it's flaring. So that's the long winded answer to get to the conclusion. Yeah, so glycolic and lactic together are a beautiful combination to even out your skin tone. Lactic acid is great for brightening. Glycolic also helps with anti aging, voting, collagen production. Skincare brands can never claim that because that's bordering on a drug, because it's changing the nature of your skin. But those have been tested and shown in studis, and so that is why I like to use glacolic acid mix of blactic acid. Additionally, obviously vitamin C. Everybody knows about vitamin C. It is a great ingredient to have in your repertoire, but alone it doesn't do much. And trust me, I have tried it just alone. And then reninol, as aleak acid, hydroquinone. Those are three that I usually reserve as prescriptions because a hydroquinone you can no longer get over the counter and you shouldn't be on it forever. Reninol, I really do believe you have to know the type and the percent of the retinol that you're using to know what your skin can tolerate, because you might not tolerate the strongest, but if you get a little bit of something light every day, that's better. For you and then as a lik acid, because to really see a difference with hyper pigmentation, it should be at fifteen percent and that is prescription level. You're not going to find that over the counter. Those I've kept out of the major feed line on purpose because they're going to serve you better as prescriptions.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us a little bit more about the effectiveness of medical grade skincare versus over the counter skincare? I mean, do over the counter products even move the needle? Should we even be buying them? Or should you put all your money into medical grade skincare.
Speaker 3: I'm going to flip that on you and ask you do medical grade products even move the needle? And should you be spending all of your money on that and not all over the counter products? Medical grade means nothing. I'm a dermatologist. Dermatology tested means nothing, right, and I have a skincare line, and I'm the first one to tell you that saying dermatologists test it doesn't mean much. Okay, great, you tested it, But then what you have to have an independent study done by a third party who's reviewing it on people who are blinded and don't know what they're using on their skin to see the result of the products that you've created. Medical grade use traditionally is basically a term that is used to describe products that are so through estheticians and providers and doctors' offices. But they're not better necessarily than what you can get over the counter. And they're going to claim that they're using higher quality ingredients. Not true. I could have claimed my brand is a medical grade brand, but I chose not to because I find it to be misleading because people are spending more money on medical grade products thinking they're getting something better. But that's not necessarily a guarantee.
Speaker 2: Okay, what about prescription versus OTC though.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's different. I am probably one of the very few who will tell you prescription is not necessarily better than over the counter. And I'm not saying this because I have skincare line. I do not have readin all in my skincare line. The reason I am saying this is because people, especially in American culture, often think we need the strongest, we need the biggest, We need the largest, we need, more is better, Stronger isn't necessarily better. When it comes to this vitamin A class of redinoids. When it's too strong. It can be irritating, and if it's irritating, you're only going to damage your skin in the long run. I would much rather you be consistent with something less irritating, using it and tolerating it every night of the week without any irritation, without any inflammation, versus using something extremely strong, which is a prescription, and only able to use it once every week or once every two weeks because your skin breaks out or flakes in the process. And so there is a philosophical approach here. Obviously, the prescription is going to be more active and ready to go to work right away, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's better for you if your skin cannot tolerate it.
Speaker 1: So to this point, I have another debunking question for you, because for ten years all I heard was retinal, retinal, retinal, And now all the women on the internet are telling me that retinal is going to thin my skin. So what's the verdict here.
Speaker 3: It's not going to thin your skin. It is not going to thin your skin. There was one prominent person, I think physician or something not. There was one person who was like pushing that myth forward, and it is not true. Redinol has been shown to truly increase collagen production in your skin by stimulating your fibroblasts. It does expedite cellular turnover of the top layer of your skin, but it is not thinning your skin because it is increasing the density of collagen beneath the servants within the dermis, and so over time, that is how we see smoother looking skin, skin that has less fine lines. The a periods of fine lines and deeper wrinkles become less quote unquote prominent. Is it gonna plump your skin up from a raise into a grape? No, it's not gonna do that. But is it gonna make your skin overall slightly thicker, more durable list throne to getting fine lines?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So is there a difference between retine, retinoid and retinol.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Where do I start? I don't understand.
Speaker 3: That's like okay, umbrella term, yes, the redinoid category okay, okay. The active is tread and oen active means the second you put it on your skin, it starts working. The step before that active are the redinals are E, T, I, N A L. Those have to get converted to tread and no in once they're applied on your skin to start working, okay, and the step before that are the retinols R E, T, I, N O L, which needs to get converted to retinales that then get converted to tread and oen. So they have two steps they have to go through before becoming active. Redinels have one step, and treadonoen is right away active.
Speaker 1: So I should buy a treatonoan or what am I.
Speaker 3: Mind I should buy? You should try first, if you're trying to really be diligent about this in your sensitive skin, A redinol. Yes, it needs two steps before it becomes active. But I would rather you use a retinol more nights of the week than not and your skin be happy. Then you they try to know in one night of the week and your skin flare up and your face fall off because it was too intense for you.
Speaker 1: I like this, I like consistency over time. I'm like a moderate type of personality. Okay, I want to talk to you about botox and filler because I've been hearing new things and I've heard before from the skincare girlies on the internet where I get all of my information about skincare, and I'm very excited because we have an expert here.
Speaker 2: Finally, Okay, filler.
Speaker 1: I heard recently that a lot of people are moving away from filler in their face because it never quite dissolves, it starts to move, and it could even age.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 1: Do you use filler for your patients?
Speaker 3: I do, I do, And I think this is again where the pendulum is swinging. Okay, if you go back to twenty eighteen, right Kylie Jenner lips the lips sucking glass shot.
Speaker 1: Whatever the snapple bottles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly, the really square draw lines that everybody was promoting the intent before and afters that you would find on social like within ten minutes. I was very adamantly against that, and I was shouting from the rooftops. Subtle can be dramatic. Subtle can be dramatic. It's not about trying to get that instant gratification drama. Unfortunately, people liked instant gratification and they went for the drama. What happens They get their faces shoved with a shit ton of filip, way too often, way too young, way too regularly, and not necessarily done by the right person because they're chasing a deal. And therefore, what happens if you fast forward six seven years, their faces look like balloons. They're blown up, and now they're like, WHOA. This is terrible because they were not doing it with a long term view in mind. I think if things are done correctly with the right candidate in front of you, in a very subtle way, to the point where I even tell my patients, you're going to ask me why the hell did I spend money If I don't fully see a difference. That is what holds your face slowly over time? What does my face look like this I've been treating myself for ten years. I eject my own face, and I don't think I look like a buffer fish. I don't think I look deformed, and I don't think I look like not me. If you look at me from now versus ten years ago, I'm more or less the same. But I was not injecting myself with five syringes four times a year. It was maybe one syringe twice a year, maybe two syringes every other time. But it was very, very light. And I think people have lost sight of that, that your face and aging is a journey and the goal with these minimally invasive procedures is not to get drama today, but to hold onto your face slowly over time. And if you really find the person who's aesthetic approach you respect, who is willing to hold you back and tell you no and go against what it is you fully want. But you respect their approach and you respect their subjectivity, and I think you will find yourself in the good hands. But if you're chasing a group on zeal, if you're chasing a price tag, if you're chasing a fad, it's not going to work. If you want to grow with.
Speaker 1: Someone moderation, I really like your philosophy.
Speaker 3: Everything in moderation.
Speaker 2: If you could give me like a one word answer on this. Let's say I have a little bit of money saved up. I want to go to my dermatologist's office, and I want to get the best bang for my buck procedure to tackle something like hyper pigmentation or acne scarring between lasers, micro needling, chemical peels. Morpheus eight like, where's the best place to put your money when you're actually at the dermatologist's office.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to talk to you exafter I talk to patient, I want to tell you the following you can go and get licless so option, but you're not going to maintain a six pack if you don't go to the gym. There is no point in getting a laser treatment if you're not on the right skincartine. And I did that once. I said that once to a patient who wasn't even paying, by the way, it was a free consult that was offering, and she got pissed. She goes, no, but tell me what to do, and I was like, go get out of a bitter skincurty and she will. But what laser? I'm like, I would tell you this if you're paying me, and I'm not even even paying me. So literally, you start with a skincre routine targeting that problem. You have hyperpigmentation from acne marks, you get on a skin care routine that is targeting how to fade your brown spot. You have a lot of textual issues, You get on a skincre routine that is helping promote collagen production. You try to tolerate good exfoliating acid if you try to even out your actual texture. You have roseatia, you get on a skincre utine that is calming in nature. So we first start with a skin care routine that we know is not going to trigger your skin, and then we approach with discolouration. That is why I started, because that's what most people have, not just from my own personal experience, but also my patients. You start with a skincare routine targeting hyperpigmentation. You usually can get sixty seventy percent improvement if you're militant, and then we can decide what are the lasers we want to try to see what takes us to that next level if we even feel we want to get to that next level, or we apply a prescription hydroquinone first and then jump into the lasers. And whether it is a fraxle, an ipl whatever, an alex laser, whatever you want, they're all different variations, so you got to try different things out. But if you're holding onto every penny expecting one fraxal to create a miracle for you, you're only going to be disappointed because the damage is under the skin and it's going to come back out. And that's why I'm so adamant about the skin care.
Speaker 2: Routine, Doctor Idris. That's what I did.
Speaker 1: I got a fraxel in January and my mom looked at me. I went home for fourth of July and she looked at me and she was like, all the sun spots are back. What happened with the fraxel? And I was like, I think it's not one and done.
Speaker 3: Because you weren't on the skincare routine. Yeah, it's not one and done because the damage is under your skin, and so you gotta keep it suppressed. You got to keep it.
Speaker 1: At bay, and you can keep it at bay with skincare.
Speaker 3: Look at my face, I have no filter.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: You have no sun damage.
Speaker 3: I have had no lasers on my face since September twenty twenty two, when I launched my skincare line. That was the last time I did a treatment because I felt pressure that I had to do one before I launched. I am telling you, when you are on a solid routine and you are militant about it, and that's why I truly genuinely try to simplify mine, you will see results long term.
Speaker 1: Doctor Idris. I'm sold. I'm not just saying this. I am going to buy your skincare line.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to even send it to you, but.
Speaker 1: No, no, I want to support.
Speaker 3: You're very sweet, but you should be militant about it, and I really genuinely, from the bottom of my heart, I mean it. And patients come in willing to spend two thousand dollars on a frack, So of course I can make a quick book, but I would rather keep that patient long term and see them through a better result than you. For example, who's now pissed that you spent two thousand dollars and now your pigment is back. Are you going to go back and trust that person to take care of you as you get older? No, no, I'm never going back there. You're such an angel, doctor Eatris. Thank you for being honest.
Speaker 2: I love doctors with integrity because so many of them just want you to come in and they want to make money off of the highest priced procedures.
Speaker 3: I think it's not just doctors. I think it's human nature. Yeah, you know, you have to feel rich in your heart. I'm not gonna get all kumbaya and like meditative on you guys.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the bright side, after all, there's a lot of ku my eye.
Speaker 3: Yes, I guess you can get kumbai on here, But like I really think, growing up, I'm the youngest of three girls. I am Lebanese and I was made fun of to no end. You're so white, You're white like a chicken. It broke by contidence as a kid. But because I was the youngest, I just learned how to fight back. And there's a reason why I ended up in cosmetics. There's a reason subconsciously I probably ended up in dermatology with skin because I was made fun of my skin my whole life growing up. And I really, genuinely, in my heart feel passionate that you can gain continence by helping yourself through your skin, no matter how you decide to look at the glass, and you can find beauty and charm and everybody that walks through the door. And I really mean this, and I'm not just saying this to appear like an angel. I'm really not an angel. I'm kind of an asshole on the other side. But it is the truth, Like you can find that beauty, you can find that confidence, you can truly help yourself. And I think it is such a disservice when people try to push false hopes and dreams, whether it is in geners or through procedures or through surgeries, without telling the person. Let's first work on you and help yourself to get there. So you can help yourself get there, and Skincareus is one avenue of it. So back to your original question, though someone you don't ask me about, for example, at these scars, which is the best one micronetilaing, fratle, etcetera. And I'll tell patients when it comes to scars and textures, especially rome wasn't built overnight. You cannot remodel collage and overnight with one treatment. It is several treatments. And I go through the different types of procedures with my patients who have scars so that they can experience each one. So then we can then make a decision together how best to proceed. Do we want to do subcision with a little bit of light filler superficiently to pick up that scar? Do you want to do an abrasive sort of fractionated laser on top of your skin to break down your skin? Do you want to do microneediling, or do you want to introduce heat to help promote college and from with it? And so we go through various different procedures together and then we make a joint decision on how we want to proceed, and it takes a good year and a half to start getting results after doing four or five treatments, and it doesn't happen overnight. But if they have the right expectations, they're only happy because they're seeing the results, and then you what to expect.
Speaker 1: I love this so much. I think our culture is so obsessed with new, now, next, and you are promoting the exact opposite. It's playing the long game in every sense of that term. So you are just so excellent. I hope you come back. You taught me and someone so much today.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're a truth teller, which is what we need more of.
Speaker 3: You guys are very sweet, and thank you so much for having me. I hope if anything this helps one person who listens to it, it helped me and me. Well done, Great success.
Speaker 1: Doctor Sharene Idris is a board certified dermatologist and founder of the science backed skincare Doctor Idris. You can catch her giving all kinds of skincare tips and advice on TikTok, Instagram and YouTube. We need to take another quick break, but when we come back, we're spicing things up in a summer segment inspired by book talk.
Speaker 2: And we're back. Okay, Danielle, are you ready to add a little spice to this show, Simone, I thought you'd never ask. Okay before we do. I know about book talk, but I don't know that I'm familiar with spicy book talk, are you yes?
Speaker 1: Okay? So book Talk is the corner of TikTok devoted to reviewing and rating books. Right well, Spicy book Talk is the corner within that corner dedicated to romance and romanticy novels, some of which might be too hot for this podcast.
Speaker 2: My people. Okay, maybe that's fair. Some of them are definitely a little too spicy for this show. But I gotta say I love the idea of rating something based on how spicy it is. It's a perfect metric. So we're gonna do that right now, with the help of our friends at Walmart, who created a line of hot sauces inspired by the book Talk spicy scale of one to five chili peppers.
Speaker 1: It's called Melinda's Spicy Books Hot Sauce Set. There are five different spice levels, so we have mild, medium, hot, flaming, and burning. And because Simona and I love a trend, we tried the sauces and then we picked things that we liked at Walmart that corresponded to each sauces level of spice.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am so excited to get into this. I love spice. I'm a spicy girl, so I'm dying to see what you picked too.
Speaker 1: So Bestie's, we're gonna sample the hot sauces once again. This one is the mild flavor oooh, and it's mango hob and narrow. It only has one spicy pepper on it, but it still has a kick. And this one reminds me of the Mabelne Lifter plump lasting lip gloss in mauv bite because it still has a little bite to it, but not too much.
Speaker 2: I chose the mango colored no boundaries woven beech tote bag because mango habanaro a mango beech tote. It just makes sense. It makes total sense. Okay, now we have hot sauce number two. This is the medium, the green one. Okay, so let's give this one a try again. She's doing the tequila shot style on the palm.
Speaker 1: Delicious.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that is delicious. I taste the lime. I taste the vinegar. That would go perfect on my summer taco. Okay, for this one. This one reminds me of the Bubble skincare bounce back refreshing tone or spray. It kind of reminds me of that little heat effect that you get on your face, a little sweat whenever you start eating something really spicy. It's a perfect fix for whenever you are, you know, need a little refresh.
Speaker 1: I went with the tall, stainless steel Hudson tumbler with flip up straw. It's the thirty ounce and it's in the orange color. I mostly chose it because I was like, okay, two jolapeno peppers orange. Plus I love a tumbler. I bring one to work every day. Okay, we're officially getting hot. This is the Spicy Books Chipotle Hot Sauce. What do you think about this one?
Speaker 2: By this color, you can tell that it is loaded up with some potent Chipotle flavor.
Speaker 1: My tongue is on fire with this one. I have to go with the Summer Camp sunscreen because even if it's hot outside, you gotta protect your skin with that SPF.
Speaker 3: Mmmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna go with the fire Dragon party tube inflatable raft because I can just envision myself on that raft in my pool, the balance of the cool water with this hot hot sauce on some Guacan chips. I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: I see you closing your eyes. You're really envisioning that. I am.
Speaker 2: I'm going there, all right, It's getting real, Danielle. Next up, we have these spicy books flaming hot sauce.
Speaker 1: This one really has a kick. Okay, I'm gonna say that. The flaming red savina reminds me of the olive in June instant press on nails in the lavender shimmer color. And I'm gonna tell you why. All that shimmer makes me flaming hot. You pop those bad boys on in a car ride on your way to a night out, and all of a sudden you are flaming hot.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm all about a car manny for mine. I'm gonna go with the free assembly cotton cropped, buttoned down shirt. Whenever you're eating something spicy, you always want to have a little access to ventilation, and nothing does that like a button down shirt. That's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, our last one, are you ready to be put to the test.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I can take it.
Speaker 1: This one is called burning. We're gonna taste this one again. It's definitely the reddest of them all.
Speaker 2: Hard to talk after that one for burning, I have a burning desire to rock the no boundaries. Pink sunglasses, spicy sauce in the mouth, spicy summer outside. You need a little eye protection.
Speaker 1: Very grease, lightning. I love it. I'm going with the scoop block heel mule sandals because if it's gonna be hot of my tongue, hot of my mouth, I better have heat on my feet and girls have heat too, So pink metallic sandals.
Speaker 2: Sign me up. Well, I'm sufficiently awake now. Yes, we're ready to record ten episodes. Now shop Melinda's Spicy Books, Hot Sauce set plus a curated collection of summer accessories, fashion and beauty so you can have your own spicy summer now at Walmart. That's it for today's show. Tomorrow, we're joined by author Alexian Ferrel Falmuth. She's here to talk about her book Twelfth Night, which is the summer yapick for Reese's book Club.
Speaker 1: Listen and follow the bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: I'm simone voice you can find me at Simone Voice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok that's Robay.
Speaker 2: See you tomorrow, folks, same time, same place. Until then, keep looking on the bright side.