Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, the.
Speaker 2: Bond move continues, yield slightly high for a third consecutive day, inflationary fairs making a comeback, and some people out there trimming Federay cup bets.
Speaker 3: Federal Reserve.
Speaker 2: Governor Stephen Myron, I'm pleased to say, joined us around the table for a conversation about that and a whole lot more.
Speaker 3: Governor Maren, good morning.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Thanks for having me, Thank you for being here. Sir.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the shock over the weekend. What is the prudent response for policymaker confronting a shock like the one plank out in the Middle East.
Speaker 5: Well, at the moment, I think it's too early to sort of have any firm views. As a result of that, oil's gone up a bit. But the bigger question is does oil stay up or does it come back down? And that, of course will depend on how things play out. But even that said, even if oil stays at these types of levels, to me, it's difficult to get a lot of read through as a result of that. Sure, oil will feed into headline inflation, but the evidence that it feeds into core inflation in any sort of material way unless there's a huge move in oil prices, I think is quite limited. So it's difficult for me to get very excited about a policy implication of what's happened thus far.
Speaker 2: So some people come on the producgram spike to Leister nine said, these federalserv offishals might be conditioned by the post pandemic experience coming out of twenty one into twenty two and the inflation spike then and the energy shock that developed at the time. Emin I think in Russia it is this different in a different place.
Speaker 4: I think it is.
Speaker 5: I think that attitude is a little bit of fighting the last war, and I think that the Federal Reserve for decades has had the view that that headline headline inflation shocks like oil are best looked through, and you sort of focus on core inflation because it's indicative of where inflation is going to go in the future, and you focus on the labor market, and that type of reasoning lead you.
Speaker 4: To look through an oil shock.
Speaker 5: Now, of course, what happened in twenty twenty two was a bit different because the other policy settings were different.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Don't forget monetary policy was as expansionary as it had ever been. At the time, fiscal policy was injecting trillions of dollars into an economy that was recovering thanks to vaccines and medical medical improvements and COVID passing on its own, and so the policy environment was very different, and so it was very easy for a slightly inflationary shock to feed through into the broader economy and create this type of persistent inflationary problem that the FED dealt with. We don't have that right now. We don't have fiscal policy that's slamming on demand. In fact, if anything, supply is moving out quite aggressively, and monetary policy is still modestly restrictive in my view. So the policy settings the economic environment is different. To focus on that, as you described moment ago to me is fighting the last war. That was a unique circumstance.
Speaker 1: At the same time, some people have argued that the January jobs report raised a question about just how weak the labor market actually was. Even Governor Chris Waller came out and said, Okay, now it's a coin flip for whether we should cut rate to the March meeting. If we do get confirmation of that strength with the February payrolls report that we get on Friday, Would that make you rethink whether March was an appropriate time to cut rates.
Speaker 5: So look, for me, we've got two years of a trend, two plus years of a trend of gradually weakening labor markets that sort of setting in twenty twenty in twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Three, it's way.
Speaker 5: Too early to reject the notion that that trend continues based on one or two.
Speaker 4: Labor market reports.
Speaker 5: And when you look at thetality of labor market data, there's still evidence to me that it needs more support from Montaria policy. When I look at things like employment levels of young folks and folks without college degrees. When I look at people who are umployed for long periods of time, long term unemployment, to me, that's indicative of their still being slackened the labor market that Montara policy can accommodate. So I think it's too early to reject the notion that a two plus your trend is over on the back of one print.
Speaker 1: Are you concerned though, that right now the market is moving the way that any rate cut would be perceived as heightening long term inflation pressures just by virtue of some of the supply shocks that we're seeing, and frankly, the fact that people do see strength re emerging in certain pockets of the economy. I mean, how worried are you that a rate cut in March could be potentially counterproductive and cause the long en of the yield curve to rise?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So if you saw evidence in inflation markets that markets were concerned about longer and inflation expectations, that's the type of thing that would give me pause.
Speaker 4: But I don't see evidence of that so far.
Speaker 5: Short run inflation expectations have come up quite a bit, and you look at CPI swaps, but that's just because the mechanical read through of oil prices into headline inflation. When you look at longer tenors, there hasn't been much of a move, and so as a result, I don't get the impression the market is concerned about long run inflation expectation.
Speaker 2: You've used this phrase modestly restrictive a few times in the conversation already. What is modestly restrictive to you? Can you put numbers on that kind of thing?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think we're probably about a point above neutral now, and so my view is that we ought to start by getting getting back towards neutral.
Speaker 2: So the one hundred basis points and reductions you want this year is not to become accommodative. You believe it's to get back to a neutral setting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 2: What would it take for you to start thinking about the need to get accommodative?
Speaker 5: So I would want to start thinking about inflation coming in below the target, which is a risk that I've highlighted if I end up being you know, I've emphasized.
Speaker 2: That risk, governor, what would be the source of that risk to get below target inflation?
Speaker 5: Sure, I've emphasized housing markets a lot that I'm expecting a faster convergence down of renewal rents to new rents, which will lead housing inflation to converge quickly to new rent levels. And there's reasons for that that I've talked about at length. I don't need to repeat them unless you want me to. But if I end up being right about housing and wrong about tariffs, and so I've also argued, I've also argued that I don't view tariffs as driving goods inflation. You know, I don't view that because imported prices, imported good prices are not inflating faster than all.
Speaker 4: Good prices, which is what you'd expect to see.
Speaker 5: And given that backdrop, I don't view tariffs as driving and as driving goods prices. So if I end up being right about housing and we get a sharp descileration in housing this year because of quirks of how housing is measured and because of dynamics of renewal rents versus new rents, UH, and I end up being wrong about goods prices and goods inflation comes down quickly over the course of this year, then we're going to undershoot.
Speaker 4: We're going to undershoot our target.
Speaker 3: And you think that's a risk we need to get ahead of.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not saying we're gonna we need to get ahead of that. That would get me to argue we go Bloon's.
Speaker 2: Conversation we're having about how preemptive you might need to be in a moment like this when it's on the committee, thinking let's wait and see whit and see what happens. Lisa was asking, how would you vote the March committee meeting. Is this a moment to white and sea or a moment to act?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I think I think it's a moment to continue acting. I have policy. I have projections for unemployment. I have projections for labor markets, so to my for inflation, so do my colleagues, and I believe it's appropriate to continue acting in accordance with those projections until you get evidence that you have to change your projections. And thus far the evidence from event from events over the weekend haven't led me to change any of my forecast for the labor market for inflation over the medium terms, so it's too early to respond to them.
Speaker 1: You said that you think that the neutralia is a point below the three point seventy five where we currently are, and I'm just wondering how quickly you think it's important to get to neutral based on the uncertainty, based on the disagreements that people have about A where neutral is and B how things are going to transpire.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So last year I was voting for fifties because we were higher away from it, and then as we made progress cutting and getting closer towards neutral, I felt it was appropriate to say, Okay, now I moving in twenty five clips. I prefer to still continue moving in twenty five clips until we got to neutral, and then to reevaluate because at the end of the day, I don't see an inflation problem in the United States now. Of course, if we get evidence that what's happening in the Middle East is leading through into broader inflation, then that would change my mind.
Speaker 4: But thus far there's no evidence.
Speaker 2: Kevin, what would that evidence look like? What would you look for? Specifically?
Speaker 5: I'd look for inflation expectations starting to move as a result, starting to move on it Cosmavice, I tend to think that the market based ones are are are more important, are more important to me, or evidence that or evidence the economy is starting to in some sense overheat again, then I would be comfortable sort of changing that view and moving more, moving even more slowly. But at the moment, you know, I see it as appropriate to continue continue cutting.
Speaker 1: Do you have any company on the committee?
Speaker 4: Uh, you know.
Speaker 5: I can't speak for an I can't speak for anyone else. And I think most people probably end up sharing my view that it's too early to draw dramatic conclusions.
Speaker 4: As a result of them.
Speaker 1: To a very different conclusion about what to do. As a result of not drawing conclusions, they say, then don't move. You're saying keep moving.
Speaker 3: So I mean that's this.
Speaker 4: They started and differ every everybody is.
Speaker 5: I think people are generally where they were last week, right, and it's just too early to change your mind based on based on what's going on. My my forecast for inflation and employment and my view call for continuing continuing industry cuts. Other people disagree, you know, and so they also haven't haven't moved yet. But as we get information about it.
Speaker 2: Timil thinks the worksthrope. So the credit jed is one an AI another. I want to squeeze them both then if we can. So let's start with the AI jitter. So Block, a fintech company came out in the last week or so and cut almost half of its staff and they said them making a massive AI productivity bed. As a policy maker for you, do you consider that noise or signal?
Speaker 4: What is that?
Speaker 5: So that's you know, that's one, that's one company. It's indicative of what you could have more of. But this is just how this is how productivity gains and technology work. They allow you to produce more with fewer, fewer inputs, with fewer fewer resources. And so if you were able to produce the same amount with fewer workers and less capital. Then your productivity goes up. That frees those workers not necessarily into unemployment, but to do other work.
Speaker 4: And this is this has always been the.
Speaker 5: Story of human technological progress and human economic growth. We create new technologies, they destroy some jobs, and then they create new jobs.
Speaker 4: They free people to do new activities.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's different this time.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't have a reason for. Like I said before, you know, it's too early to rejected to year trend of labor market moving in gradual cooling direction. It's too early to reject tens of thousands of years trend of how technology works in the economy.
Speaker 3: We've talked about.
Speaker 2: These sources of risk and one has been the geopolitical problems. This is another two and the third one is connected in some cases to what's happening with AI. It's also the credit jitters as well. So this writses the question about potential financial risk for you and the committee. How are you thinking about things as they develop?
Speaker 4: But just one one last part.
Speaker 5: An AI, even as it destroys old jobs and creates new jobs, that is the type of that is the type of job transition that is typically accommodated by a central bank. Right, You don't want to prevent the new jobs being created by having policy that's too restrictive. If you have an increase in job loss due to new technology, you have to accommodate that and allow the new jobs to get created instead of preventing it.
Speaker 3: Pull what's development and credit?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Oh, pull what's developing and credit?
Speaker 5: So look, you know, I am, like with vents in the Middle East, I'm not at the point where I have a strong read through from what's going on in credit into the economy. I'm not at the point where I think where I think there's any sort of policy response that's necessary or adjustment to forecast this necessary. One thing that I think is interesting about what's going on in credit is, to me, it highlights the potential shortcoming of our financial conditions and disease.
Speaker 4: We've got a lot of people who.
Speaker 5: Argue it's inappropriate to cut because financial conditions are so loose. They've been arguing that for a long time. But one hypothesis of mind that I'm exploring is that those financial conditions and disease aren't showing you what's going on in private credit because you don't get the marks for them, and to the extent that private credit has been a major driver of credit growth over the last half decade or so, that's missing from the financial conditions and disease. So when we get these jitters in private credit markets and then say, oh, financial conditions are so loose, it's just because we decided not to look at the part of the financial markets that are tight.
Speaker 2: So I do you think we are seeing it unwarranted tyning of financial conditions so far?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, sort of unwarranted is a bit of a is a bit of a heavy load. But I do think I do think it's it's I would be cautious about concluding that financial conditions are so loose when you're getting these these things happening in private credit markets.
Speaker 1: I just want to ask, have you talked to President Trump recently?
Speaker 4: Not since I resigned, now since you resigned.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering how difficult it is to conduct policy with a huge unknown hanging over the committee about who is going to be the next FED chair and what this process is going to look like past April.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, I think we have a pretty good idea of who's going to be the next the next FED chairman. We don't have a good idea yet of exactly when he will become the next FED chairman, but I'm hopeful that we get that type of that type of clarity soon. I think it would be I think it would be great to have that type of clarity.
Speaker 2: And it's a way of being on the Federal Reserve and not knowing when you're going to exit, just sort of like there with an open ended calendar on what's going to happen next.
Speaker 4: It makes it difficult to plan.
Speaker 3: I bet it for personal reasons.
Speaker 2: Governor's good to see you, Thanks for having me, thanks for making time for us. We appreciate it. Governor Stephen Moren there of the Federal Reserve,