Speaker 1: Are you leaving? I you wanna way back home? Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay.
Speaker 1: We want to send you off inside.
Speaker 2: We wanna welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 1: We scared her?
Speaker 2: Was it fine?
Speaker 1: Melbourne? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do your need you ride?
Speaker 4: Ride?
Speaker 2: Do you need.
Speaker 4: With Karen and Chris? Welcome to Do you need to ride? This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Tilgara. If you're just tuning in now you missed the last couple episodes. We are back in the car. It's very exciting. We're leaving Karen's house to pick up Roz Hernandez.
Speaker 2: Today's guest of Ghosted by ros Hernandez podcast Roz Fernandez.
Speaker 4: And I've been on Ghosted. I can't remember my ghost much like a ghost. My story just dissipated into the air like a spiritual dandelion spot.
Speaker 2: Your story was fuzzy at the bottom and had no shoes because it wasn't really there.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't know why, but in preparation, like I'm just to bombard her with ghost de talks.
Speaker 3: I've been watching sightings.
Speaker 4: I started with because We're in a car, the ghosts in Japan after the tsunami, and eleven who were getting into taxis. This journalist talked to like one hundred taxi drivers and seven of them all had stories of wet young people getting in the car and then they get to the destination, no one's there. That's also on an episode of which was funny because it's all murders. And then all of a sudden there was a very interesting what I felt like could have been a longer documentary.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think it should be ghost taxis.
Speaker 3: Well, I went down a wormhole.
Speaker 4: And there's the problem is when there's footage like there was so much footage of ghosts.
Speaker 3: What Oh wow.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're just a guy that you know what, And if you drive a BMW out there, I'm sure you're not because if you listen to this podcast, you're like minded and you're not an aggressive traveler. But I'm afraid a lot of BMW drivers are Hey entitled, I am yeah, me first.
Speaker 2: Well, and also what that guy did is the classic and I'd really like to bring this up to our listenership. If you're driving a car and you're trying to pull out into traffic and you're looking to the right, you have to also look to the left.
Speaker 1: It's the rule. And I think the rule is right, left, right or left right left.
Speaker 4: Which i've my whole life. I've tripled that. I go right left, right, left, right, left, right left. I look like a luna, yes.
Speaker 1: But it's only so that you don't.
Speaker 2: Because my big crash in the Honda Fit back in twenty seventeen. I don't know if you remember that where I pulled out in front of someone. I went right, left, right, and then there was a lady who was waiting to make a left turn around me and I was at a stop sign. She was not, and she waved me to go, like you're fine, go ahead, And I went and pulled out in front of someone and got t boned.
Speaker 4: Oh see, I bet she was a ghost. Oh getting revenge.
Speaker 1: You never considered it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is how I died, And now this is how you're going.
Speaker 1: Oh that was Ken Marino. We just drove by Ken Marino.
Speaker 3: Ken Marino from The Catering Show.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Catering show, of which the name I can't remember Party Down, Party Down. And he's also on the other two as the hilarious manager who I love. And he was just driving and I noticed him because he was driving in a Tesla and you can really see people sitting in their seat, and it was that guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're just like.
Speaker 4: They're just exactly like Karen. You're a celebrity too, Oh not like minute, I don't. There's certain in certain rooms, I'm a bit of a Ken Marino.
Speaker 1: Hell, yes you are, because I uh.
Speaker 4: Where shorted jeans shorts like he did in wet, hot America summer.
Speaker 3: Sometimes in certain way. That's really all I have in common with him, just mainly because he's so much taller. Was he He's big? Could you tell he was tall in the car?
Speaker 1: No, I was just I was just mes Maris by his face.
Speaker 4: I in my car, you can crank up the height of the seat like there's a little.
Speaker 3: Pomp on the side.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And I have it to the very tallest, so I look like I'm tall while driving.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I'm hunched over.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And people are less likely to do me first, slow down in front of me like that guy did.
Speaker 3: And they're like, oh, that guy looks like six ' four. But they don't know about my little legs.
Speaker 2: You don't know they're being tricked. You're like a Ventril puppet driving a car.
Speaker 3: You're a far away magicon.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have to tell you just a brief story about going to dinner last night.
Speaker 2: Keep it, keep it brief, as brief as possible, but I love details. Yeah, went to dinner with did Yl Kramer, COO of the Exactly Right.
Speaker 1: Network, and I ordered chicken.
Speaker 2: I wasn't that hungry. They gave me literally like eight pieces of chicken. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. And so then I was like, can I take this to go?
Speaker 3: Were these fingers or thighs or I.
Speaker 1: Believe they were thighs.
Speaker 2: Actually they were really good, but I only ate one, and so I took the box to go. And when I got home, the dogs were very happy to see me, got a lot of attention. I went right to bed because it was like ten o'clock and Blossom didn't come in the way she always does, and I'm like, what are you doing? Get in here? Like what where else are you? That's so weird? And when she came in, she was a lick in her lips and licking her and I'm like, what did you do? So then when I got into this card today to get us ready for this record, I noticed there was chicken grease.
Speaker 1: All over this console, all over your seat.
Speaker 2: So this the box that I had taken it in. They must have been like, well, here's a great part of this chicken. Is this super greasy sauce? Oh And basically it's spilled out without me knowing, And the car had been covered in like chicken.
Speaker 4: Sauce, so no chicken was consumed. They just got the greasy juices.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think my purse had a lot of chicken grease on the outside of it, and I probably tracked some in.
Speaker 3: You know five, This is actually good news. I thought I had had an accident squeaking around.
Speaker 1: You're eating those olio chips, yes.
Speaker 4: The constant yen Yeah, the wow ruffles.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: We all thought overweight had been saltd Yes.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It was the well I can't remember the miracle drug that everyone's taking. Yeah, this was like a delicious ozempic, except it caused and I'm not here to be graphic, but that in a medical way, it caused foamy, oh leaky kage.
Speaker 1: I never heard phony.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's from uh not first person experience.
Speaker 3: It was my last stepmother.
Speaker 1: Second person, your last stepmother, your most recent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, the one before the most recent. I've made an effort to have the most stepmothers.
Speaker 1: How many do you have so far?
Speaker 3: Oh there's only been two?
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I like.
Speaker 1: I like the counting though.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I am keeping it. I have hash marks above my prison bed. One time, my my cousin and best friend from best friend, first cousin. We found out later when I found him at a family reunion.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 3: Wait?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 1: From childhood?
Speaker 3: You heard it?
Speaker 1: I can't believe when I'm hearing.
Speaker 4: Sixth grade he was one of my best I know, it sounds like there should be banjo's playing in the background.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 4: He was a cool kid skateboarder, and he became a professional snowboarder.
Speaker 3: But he's my good friend.
Speaker 4: And in sixth grade we met, and then later that year I went to a family reunion at Flathead Lake and he was there and we found out that his uncle was my mother's cousin.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh wait, and he's starting to sound yes, you've told me this before.
Speaker 3: I yes, and I wouldn't have.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't I only it was new to us because of our memory problems.
Speaker 2: Everything's kind of new, okay, talk about a left right left situation.
Speaker 1: I just put myself into fear.
Speaker 4: I'm hoping you extend your right arm like I'm a.
Speaker 3: Fragile bag of breakable books.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm never going to get across in this way. There's just too much.
Speaker 3: But it was, Oh, you're doing good, you're doing good. Oh man, this car is some silent get up and go.
Speaker 4: His dog on Christmas ate an entire honeybag, tam an entire was a little cocker spaniel.
Speaker 3: Ate an entire your.
Speaker 2: Cousin friend the dog is doog No, No, I know, yes.
Speaker 4: No, my cousin friend didn't get my cousin's slash friend didn't get a bite of hamm and neither did any humans because of the dog, and was on his back, barely breathing, almost.
Speaker 3: Ate to death.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's had to be rushed to ask, like, imagine being to where it's like, now's my chance?
Speaker 3: I used to eat like that when I was younger.
Speaker 4: H Yeah, I don't know when I'm gonna have a giant plate of spaghetti in the next forty eight hours. I better eat it all now, even all signs, even though all signs are showing, don't showing me to stop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the hardest when you either are hungry and worried about the next time you're gonna eat, or you're just kind of scarred from like that experience. That was my childhood experience where it's like I'm gonna leave school. I ate it like a bolognan cheese sandwich at what twelve thirty. I'm gonna leave school at three point thirty. Anything can happen, And the next time somebody's gonna provide anything for me is seven pm at the earth Right.
Speaker 1: That's not great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you were like that too.
Speaker 5: It's like I would cord food but with my.
Speaker 2: Mouth yes, Or I would just always be on the kind of like the lookout of like do I have a quarter?
Speaker 1: Can I buy a snicker?
Speaker 5: Would?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have overeaten if someone would finally invent a refrigerated fanny.
Speaker 5: Pack or just shark go over.
Speaker 2: The plan, like, yeah, how much have you planned for your children today? It's nineteen eighty one, Yeah, how much of you planned?
Speaker 1: Can you add anything in?
Speaker 4: Here's my mother's plan, open refrigerator, wet, half chopped in half tofu block o what a plan?
Speaker 3: No, se well it's okay. I'm not a passionate cook either.
Speaker 1: Well you can't be now.
Speaker 3: No, But it's so funny when I think about that dog packed entirely with him.
Speaker 4: I always think of that dog when someone mentions a kur ducan or kur ducan, Oh yeah, which is an animal shoved? And I'm just thinking of dog meat on the outside of pig meat. Yes, yeah, I mean, I know that dog was uncomfortable, but if an airplane had crashed, and I know I bring up cannibalism a.
Speaker 1: Lot, that would have been the perfect dog to eat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Just I'm sorry, your man's best friend and I've loved you forever.
Speaker 3: But there's ham inside you.
Speaker 1: Your your croakeness, your dog.
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 1: That's not like French sandwich? Oh yeah, ham and cheese.
Speaker 4: Okay, I knew what that was, and that's why I am just laughing at the joke. Now, No, I don't, I know, No, everyone knows that my fake laugh sounds exactly like myn genuine laugh.
Speaker 1: Also, they know you can't speak French.
Speaker 5: I listen.
Speaker 3: We can't all be like our last guest Reggie Watt.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, multi lingual.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably throws down a book or two every now and then.
Speaker 3: Sure, there are.
Speaker 4: Certain things that I'm ashamed of, and taking two full years of Spanish and letting it all disappear like a tsunami ghost is one of them.
Speaker 2: Well, but Reggie Watts was an Air Force brat, so he moved to several different countries. Like I think he was acclimated to speaking other languages from childhood, whereas you were acclimated to half a block of wet tofu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I had. That was my muscle memory.
Speaker 4: But then later in college and my passion with Spanish was fulfilling a structural systems requirement.
Speaker 3: It was either that or statistics.
Speaker 4: I was in a math class taught by an army general I'm not kidding. So all this totistics somehow were geared towards military things, and we had to make charts using a ruler. He didn't like calculators. He was the most old school Jesus military math teacher, like the worst class ever. Like you know how every Civics course in high school was taught by a wrestling coach or I taught. I got world history and government classes from wrestling coaches and football coaches yep. And I'm not sure why, but this was like a military math class. And I didn't want to buy the book, that's how little I respected the content. So I would get the book from the library, but it had been updated, so the page numbers progressively were off, Like by the end of the book, I was like to see where everyone else was on. Oh, I'm twenty pages before you because they learned more about.
Speaker 3: This math whatever.
Speaker 4: Anyway, I knew I wouldn't pass, and so I went into Spanish.
Speaker 3: That fulfilled that requirement, which.
Speaker 1: So it was almost it's like a It was.
Speaker 2: A move out of desperation instead of passion for the language.
Speaker 4: Right, but in order to you know, college is it's not easy. It wasn't for me. And to pass Spanish I did have to learn and write it and understand it when spoken. And the fact that I went to Costa Rica and I didn't understand anything. Although after ten days there, and this was a decade ago or more, it.
Speaker 3: Was starting to come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just conversationally they should have asked you where the library was.
Speaker 1: Then you would have been, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Hope that's not a dance club to car log guitara.
Speaker 4: Ouns of pazzos, this my bonitas, my fail. I So what I said is play guitar, your cat's ugly, my shoes are beautiful.
Speaker 3: That's all I got.
Speaker 4: What you retained, Yeah, yeah, that's all I retained.
Speaker 2: I mean when I was in Italy and I'd literally taken like three rounds of Babel and then would ignore every prompt when the Babbel's like learn a new word today, and I'm like, oh, fuck yourself, which why? And so when we were there, I had that like I wanted to be able to communicate so badly it was embarrassing to me. And then I'm like, well that's a really good like impetus to learn being kind of humiliated and needing to cover right, you know. I started picking up on context clues very quickly and like absorbing it because oh, oh it's and I ran a yellow around the block.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll go around the block. That it was your idea. I'm repeating it.
Speaker 2: As if to them you're confirming, like the co pilot on a plane yes, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: But it's one that doesn't I'm just that inflatable one because I'm not doing much.
Speaker 1: The dirty one from airplane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's not where an air nozzle goes.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be a snob.
Speaker 2: But when we recorded, we just recorded with Reggie Wats yesterday listener, So this is why we're kind of talking about it a lot. But to be driving around Burbank instead of Central Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: It's so nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just love this town.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: At the end of the podcast, when we saw the man was six tears on his face, it isn't because he's a professional clown for children. No, And there's not a lot of tears on faces over here, tattoos of them.
Speaker 2: There's more of like this is where all the guys who do the lights for Two and a half Men live.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of crew people, there's a lot of union members and.
Speaker 2: People who have made a good living with a great trade.
Speaker 3: That kind of shit doing props for Hugh Laurie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how Cane doesn't show up on set by itself?
Speaker 3: I always confused. I'm thinking of Chuck Lory.
Speaker 4: Oh, he's the two and a half man guy right, yep, okay, But Hugh Laurie's great.
Speaker 2: But Hugh Lori is nothing to shake a cane out when now have to make a left turn on this weird.
Speaker 4: It's okay, it's okay. It's a red arrow. That's that's reassuring. That means it's about to be a green arrow.
Speaker 1: That's true. It's controlled.
Speaker 3: See, I am doing some co piloting. You are for real, Hugh Laurie.
Speaker 4: When I got my tonsils, I think I mentioned this the anesthesiologist who said, oh, stand up comedies, what what's that like? And he was looking into my eyes as he put the needle in my arm and hit a nerve. He pulled a real house. You're a loose cannon? Are you a real doctor? And he looked like howse? But I didn't have the chance to tell him because it was so much pain, and then I was out, so the needle was in that nerve the whole surgery.
Speaker 3: Anyway, he is great, and if you if you.
Speaker 4: Ever do some youtubing, look up Hugh Laurie and his his you know, British sketch comedy, because he was like a bit of Fry.
Speaker 5: And Laurie a bit of Fry and Laurie.
Speaker 3: Mm hm, that is what it is.
Speaker 1: I know called Yes, I.
Speaker 4: Thought you were saying when people go to YouTube, they should check out a bit of Fry and Laurie like you're saying, No, the portion they should take in.
Speaker 2: It's just a bit anything that might be on the Acorn, BBC or BritBox channel. I'm going to know it. Yeah, that's why I spend all my time. That's like my skateboarding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, skateboarding is my skateboarding, but so is comedy and uh, you know, fast and furious drifting.
Speaker 3: Footage.
Speaker 1: Oh, not doing it?
Speaker 3: No, No, I stay clear. I stay clear.
Speaker 4: You know when they block off an intersection and then people. I do not know what I looked up. Maybe I was looking for a steering wheel cover. I don't know what it is that made my phone think that I am interested in that, But my algorithm shows me street drifting every other video. I don't know how to undo it or tell my phone this actually is an interest in mine. Do you know what I should do?
Speaker 1: Maybe say it out loud?
Speaker 3: Okay, Siri, Tom Cruise's daughter, are you lessening?
Speaker 1: Alexa? Stop it Alexa, Siri, knock it off.
Speaker 4: You're not getting dinner unless you have some in your refrigerated fanny pack. I've just blurted that out, and I think it's actually a good invention.
Speaker 2: Uh, how would you refrigerate it?
Speaker 4: It has coils, it has a small it's really essentially a small refrigerator, but rather than in a box of metal, it's cloth and it's a strap and you wear it around your waist.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's batteries.
Speaker 3: How are we okay?
Speaker 4: Battery sharks eight?
Speaker 3: Who's seventy percent? Usual? Yell percentages at them? Right? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've only watched that like part of that show, and it was two women who were designing jewelry and they were sisters and they'd both been in the army, and somehow they thought both of them being in the army made that jewelry more appealing. Oh, and I was like, this hurts my feelings because I don't this is like one of those things where we were like they nobody.
Speaker 1: Believed in it. Yeah, it's just like that's and this is being televised.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I hate it when when someone actually has a very bad idea, it hurts my feelings, Like when you.
Speaker 3: Drive by a.
Speaker 4: Bad business idea. That's closing pants for cats. Oh there she is waiting, looking super cool. Those are cool glasses. They look like they're made of marshmallows.
Speaker 5: Hi ros. I didn't know if it was you.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: Oh ship up?
Speaker 3: You look cool?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, yeah you.
Speaker 4: I thought at first your sunglasses were made entirely of mushrooms or marshmallows.
Speaker 3: Mushrooms?
Speaker 5: Have you? Did you eat a mushroom?
Speaker 3: That? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sweet and delicious mushroom like on us some more. O.
Speaker 5: This car smells so new, does it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's nice because we did have a chicken grease spill last night, and so I was afraid it was.
Speaker 1: Gonna smell like that.
Speaker 3: Don't worry. It was in my seat.
Speaker 5: Oh where where'd you get chicken grease from?
Speaker 1: It was chicken too, or I got the chicken. I got the grease.
Speaker 2: It was in a to go box that was I mishandled basically and then just.
Speaker 1: Covered a little congealed pile.
Speaker 6: Of chick and Greece and Chris's seat This morning, Yeah, I had a friend, do you kind of uh make breakfast of some sort of crease stain on my seat that was there for like a couple of weeks and I forgot about it and we.
Speaker 5: Just got it scrubbed out. So everything's going right over here.
Speaker 1: I love to hear a victory story right off the bat.
Speaker 3: How is everyone Good's terrific? Good?
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 5: Well? I'm pretty great. I was just listening to some Cheryl Crow and all I want to do is I have some fun?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 7: Have you just rediscovered Cheryl Crow or it's like for some reason, I just haven't listened to Cheryl Crow in a minute, and then went to you.
Speaker 5: Know, Cheryl Crow and some of the music apps, and then before I know it, I'm you know, I have a feeling I'm not the only one wants to have some fun.
Speaker 4: But if you go on random, eventually her country duet with Kid Rock's gonna come on.
Speaker 5: That is one that I skipped.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well we all make weird decisions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Cheryl and it's rude to ask you so.
Speaker 1: And I was going to but I won't.
Speaker 2: How old you were when the og Cheryl Crow album came out, because it was when I first moved to LA And truly it was like every billboard, it was on every radio station because it was like the early nineties. It was so pervasive and kind of like, you know, as a young rebel, I had to I.
Speaker 5: Wonder how Angeline felt about that.
Speaker 1: She was getting serious serious.
Speaker 5: I'm sure any time you bring up Cheryl Crow to her it's a sore spot.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I've always been confronted by the fact that the sun does not come up.
Speaker 3: Over Santa Monica ble of her.
Speaker 4: I guess so, I mean it would have to be running east west right.
Speaker 5: Do you guys ever listen to Cheryl? Do you ever ever put on a little Cheryl? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good stuff.
Speaker 5: She's a really good songwriter.
Speaker 1: She's truly unbelievable.
Speaker 2: And if you've ever seen her live, she is album perfect sounding and playing when she re live, you can't.
Speaker 3: I always appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: I can't remember where I saw her, but I kept going, is she lip syncing?
Speaker 1: This is so?
Speaker 2: She's not Queen with a weird perm wig on?
Speaker 3: That place looks fun. There's a saloon with Oh.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll tell you that place is not fun. No, it is not.
Speaker 3: You've been there.
Speaker 5: No, but I've read the papers and the place that had gun tights. No, no vaccine fights.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wow, they refused to shut down during COVID, and so the city shut them down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then it turned into protests and a yeah rallies up and down the street.
Speaker 4: Everyone protesting dressed like a cowboy because it's it's I think it's hilarious that that's a business in Burbank made to look like an old like they do reenactments.
Speaker 3: I always want to be a cowboy.
Speaker 4: Gunfight reenactor, and it's my job every Wednesday to pretend to get shot and fall into a horse trough.
Speaker 5: Don't you have a story about getting bit by a scorpion or something? Thank you? No, I know I've been listening to the show for years and you just proved it and I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, the year was two thousand. Uh, I will not talk about that. I brought my cat.
Speaker 4: The cat had feelie what if I just did the greatest chance of everything on sentenach for it? But you're right, that did still my childhood desire to be in a Western reenactment.
Speaker 5: Yes, this Burbank, particularly this street is the I think the most interesting street in Los Angeles. Yes, this, We're driving to Magnolia Boulevard right now. And this is where you will find weird like the weirdest weirdos in the best way yep. And you'll find the gun people. For some reason, there's like three or four guns.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of gun stores.
Speaker 2: Wait a second, I'm so sorry, but is that Jojo Seawas studio?
Speaker 5: That is indeed, Jojo was studio one time as a car parked out front that had pictures of her like as part of the paint job. It was just like pictures everywhere of her.
Speaker 2: And so is it like her dance or her like what kind of studio you know?
Speaker 5: I can't I can't answer that question for you, but I have a question. There's Hollywolf dog groom.
Speaker 4: I love any all excuse it with any grooming, not.
Speaker 5: To be confused with the one that I take my dog too, which is also on the street. It's called Pimp My Pooch.
Speaker 3: Oh I like it.
Speaker 4: The one in my hometown is called Cats over Broadway, and there's like a film reel and cat silhouettes of cats with little top hats and it's everything everything.
Speaker 2: So it's basically saying like, if you bring your cat here, your cat will look like a Broadway stay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, your cat's ready for stage, not film, though they put little tap shoes on their paws.
Speaker 2: I just the only reason I had that Joe Jesse was studio gave me such pauses.
Speaker 3: Because I thank you.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to explain myself.
Speaker 2: One time, when we were on vacation in Hawaii, we went to a bar and I drank my ties and I basically never drank, but I did it on vacation. And when I came home, I went to bed, and then when I woke up in the morning, I realized I had tweeted something, and when I looked at it, it was I retweeted a video of Jojo Seewa dancing with like this really amazing. I think he was a choreographer and they were doing all this crazy, really hard fast, you know, like high level dancing, and I retweeted it and wrote something along the lines of like in your face, and I don't I didn't know who she was. It's not like I was a fan or even like, oh I get it or anything. It was like I had accidentally just done this weird thing, like drunkenly and went to sleep.
Speaker 3: And whose face whose face was it? In?
Speaker 1: I'm not I think I was just like writing something dumb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I for our listeners, and I'm not saying I'm one of them.
Speaker 3: Who's Jojo Siwa?
Speaker 1: Oh Jojo? See? What is a Well? Actually I don't really know, but.
Speaker 5: You know, I just know context clues that I've gathered, Right, what are your context clues? Okay, she was on the show Dance Moms. Pretty sure she's an out lesbian. She loves a tight ponytail, and I believe since she was on Dance Moms, she's not one of the moms, which makes me think she's one of the dance girls.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: And I think the other thing I knew about her was because I also think she became like a YouTube like influencer, Okay, because I basically saw her like my niece Nora referenced her when she was like seven years old one time. But I didn't have any kind of idea of what the conversation was. I was just like, oh, this is this is entertainment for children that I have absolutely no idea about it.
Speaker 4: It's such a weird time where there's famous people and when you know their names and none of us can pinpoint why we know them, and.
Speaker 1: They don't start.
Speaker 2: It's not like oh Jojo Siwa was the little sister on Happy Days, so that we all know what we're talking about. It truly is like they're from a reality show, but they're the ones the fans liked and then they did this thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, she was a good dancer.
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean I like last night there was a line at the Echo that was so I've never seen a longer line and it said it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: I had to google who it was.
Speaker 4: It was someone's name that I didn't retain, but it was I had to read page and after page, and it was just a kid that got wildly popular after a viral TikTok oh.
Speaker 5: It's such an era where there's just like so many people that are technically considered famous. Like it's not the old days of three channels. I always think about like how people seventies and before how famous they were, like they were so famous. Yeah, and now, I mean it's good in a lot of ways that there's like more spread out for everyone to enjoy, but it's not as much of a communal collective thing where we all know the same references. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's almost like that's how the like the super fan stand culture, it's almost like you have to go represent the person, like this is who I believe in and you should too. It almost feels like the vibe because it's like, right, I need that energy because other than that, I don't know who any of these people are. And I wouldn't like the idea that my niece watched YouTube like it was TV, like prefer that. Yeah, it's so different than anything I'm used to where it's like, oh, that's she doesn't want to come and sit. I mean she would eventually like watch sitcoms with my sister or whatever, but ultimately she's in her room watching YouTube like it is TV.
Speaker 5: I know, I was talking to someone today. I always think the past few years that like, is stand up gonna go away? Like as you know, TikTok and stuff takes over? And because I wonder, because I don't see as many comedians when I do shows that are like, oh this nineteen year old just moved to town, Like I'm not seeing as many like super young.
Speaker 3: It's just the old old people like me sticking it out.
Speaker 5: Well me so yea, But I think like maybe it will. I mean I don't know, the audiences, all kinds of people come, but I'm like, maybe it will be something where like the audiences get older and you know, it's like I always say, like, what's wrong with being the Eagles? You know, like they can play for people your age and if younger people are into it, they can show up. But like, like, I don't want to be sitting here being like, so, kids, what are we talking about? Like I don't care. I'd rather just talk to my people my age.
Speaker 1: I are real.
Speaker 3: I like to think that I'm not.
Speaker 4: I'm only saying it get the audiences get better, and I love people getting interested in stand up and it's the one thing that's impossible to replace because I one time I went in I don't know whose idea it was, but we put on ball a ball suit and they were making holograms of us so they could have us do stand up project it anywhere, and I'm like, this is a terrible idea, but I'll take your money. Weird guy with a yellow Lamborghini and I knew it wouldn't work. That's as close as they've gotten. Like it was after the everyone was freaking out because Tupac was in hologram form was at Coachella or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was back then.
Speaker 4: And that was such a bad idea that I decided that day that.
Speaker 3: Nothing could ever replace live stand up.
Speaker 4: But you're thinking more, will it just not be interesting to people anymore?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: But getting proven wrong is the good thing by like seeing well at least the audiences are definitely like, there's so many audiences and so many shows that I have done that I'm like really excited, But I just don't see as many like twenty one year old comedians or like I think they just go to TikTok now, Right.
Speaker 4: The weird thing that I'm seeing from short attention span, TikTok and everything is this trend of crowd work because people don't want to burn their material. Yeah, audiences now expect they're back to being scared to sit in the front row or they heckle, and that's like a new thing that I've seen that.
Speaker 5: And I'm just not good enough at improv. I believe I talked about this last time I was here. I did take an improv class over the pandemic and.
Speaker 1: Oh right, your zoom improv.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I sometimes will be up on stage and I'm like, I can do this, like somebody says something in the audience, I'm like, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, what what would you like?
Speaker 3: Yeah that I don't mind.
Speaker 4: It's asking for it, which inevitably means, hey, what do you do for a living? Or how long have you two been together? I will never ask that ever.
Speaker 3: I refuse to.
Speaker 5: Well, isn't that the worst?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: Are you guys on a date and they are.
Speaker 4: We I don't know, Yeah, potentially ruining what they had blossoming because you confronted them about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, where are we going?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I thought we'd go to the Starbucks drive through?
Speaker 5: Okay, right.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: It's it's kind of a tradition that we haven't been able to engage in.
Speaker 1: Cars.
Speaker 3: I feel like, no, it's been a while.
Speaker 5: The gift cards, Yeah we did.
Speaker 1: We did have a bunch of gift cards for a while.
Speaker 5: Well, now that we're back in the car, yeah, yeah, I actually brought my own jug here, so I'm good.
Speaker 1: Do you need anything from the bakery?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Perhaps a birthday cake pop? No, I'm okay, I'm not gonna make people listen to me chomp on a cake pop.
Speaker 4: Can we confirm that a cheese Danish isn't actually cheese. Ask it's some cream cheese, okay, but sweetened.
Speaker 3: Look at that funny bird, a funny bird? Are you injured? Are you just chilling?
Speaker 2: He looks like he's chilling and watching people go through the dry Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't see it.
Speaker 3: It's a little bird on the menu, just like.
Speaker 5: Look at a funny bird.
Speaker 3: Look at you.
Speaker 4: I really like his belly's hanging over the edge like you just had a big yeah.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he gets if he's like the Starbucks bird that like picks up the danishes people throw out of their car way.
Speaker 4: I wonder if we rolled down the window, he'd go like, don't forget the kick.
Speaker 5: He's the one that know he doesn't want to tell all his bird friends that this is where you hang out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Scraps pretends he's at work, but he's here.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's why that bird's so interesting to me, because it's just a lone bird chilling and staring.
Speaker 2: He was staring at it. That's what caught my attention. I was like, is this where I'm supposed to order? And then I looked up as if he was going to tell me yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's why I freaked out years ago and talked about turtle eye contact.
Speaker 3: Birds will do that too.
Speaker 4: They'll give you a side eye and it's aimed right at you and I I don't know why.
Speaker 5: Wait, what's turtle eye contact?
Speaker 3: Turtles?
Speaker 1: You said you listened to the show right.
Speaker 4: Now When I first moved to my neighborhood in Echo Park. There's a lot of turtles in that lake. And uh oh yeah, and they might be tortoises. I love them both equally.
Speaker 5: Well, if they're in the water, they're probably turtles.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think you're right, because I follow more tortoises than humans on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Oh so you're into them ULTI I'm very into tortoises. Hi.
Speaker 1: Can I get a tall one pump hot mocha?
Speaker 3: All have a Grandis ice coffee with some almond milk.
Speaker 1: Lease? Oh that's going to be it.
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Sorry to interrupt.
Speaker 5: Yes, sorry, I was just talking about how much I love tortoises. My dream is to have a backyard filled with tortoises.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: I want that more than anything in the world.
Speaker 1: I think you say, filled with how many.
Speaker 5: Do you mean to the brim capacity? Well, I don't know. I imagine that they'll get freaky deeky and multiply. But I just want lots of them. I just find them so majestic. They're not bothered by anything. They're so peaceful. Yeah, I just loved it so much.
Speaker 4: It's the demeanor more than the eyes. Hey, it's all about me. They're looking at me. I like the way they carry them.
Speaker 5: The weird thing is turtles don't do it for me. It's tortoises.
Speaker 1: It's the big ones.
Speaker 5: No like the water. I don't like water. I'm not like the ones that swim around with the web feet. It's not that sea turtles. Yeah, well I do like the sea turtle.
Speaker 3: But you know, it feels like you don't.
Speaker 5: I know, I follow so many tortoise accounts it's not even funny. Yeah yeah, my whole feed is just tortoises eating cucumbers and.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yes, heads, I get it. I get you wanting them to be dry. Do you have any childhood experiences where you got to ride on a giant tortoise like a horse turtle rather, No.
Speaker 5: I can't say I ever did that.
Speaker 4: I did, and they could they can actually move. Yeah, but it was in San Diego in the backyard. Had a cave system for this giant, one hundred year old huge turtle.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's the thing. If you do get a backyard full of them, you'll have them for so long.
Speaker 5: Oh they live, they'll be and my will. Yeah, there'll be someone else problem.
Speaker 4: Every year, so many tortoises and parrots are being bequeathed exactly to some college student. It's like my grandma gave me an old bird. What cut to a script that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that could be a good movie written by me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, I mean, kids, I feel like I won't, you know, end up looking too hard for a tortoise. I just you know, ask around. Anyone's grandma got a tortoise?
Speaker 2: Yeah, get a rescue foundations situation.
Speaker 5: I want and I want like little like Pomeranians that like ride on the back like this. That's what I want. I want to wake up in the morning with my coffee and look out my backyard and see tortoises with little Pomeranians sitting on top of Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do like the idea of some mutual symbiotic ride me backyard relationship. All right, two animals. Yeah, no, I just stand in the corner and watch. I'll be over here behind this, but.
Speaker 5: I want to go back to stand up for a time. Let's do it, because I've been doing a lot of it lately and I've just been really into it lately.
Speaker 1: Has it been going good?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I've just been having fun. Yeah, Like I don't know, I've just been excited about a lot of things that I've been talking about. Well, it's also because I wasn't I haven't been talking about ghosts much and I kind of keep the ghosts and the stand up like separate, and so then I can't. It gave me a second to like work on some stand ups, and then I got really excited about stand up material. And I think it was because I have like a couple of months off from the ghosts And well, how long have you guys? When did you guys start doing stand.
Speaker 3: Up in the in the very beginning?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So long? Twenty three years.
Speaker 1: Ago, nineteen ninety thirty three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, wow, I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: I started when I was twenty what wait, okay, so Chris, you started in what the year two thousand?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Was this in Austin? It was for Missoula.
Speaker 4: I mean, I yeah, that's so yeah, And I knew when I was I was doing I was in an improv group and I was enjoying that. But I moved there knowing that was that there was a scene there, and I checked out no other scene.
Speaker 3: I just knew that there was one there. That's for my coffee.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, some five dollars.
Speaker 3: It's wrankling, ripped. Isn't that why you don't like?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 3: Looks counterfeit. It's stuff like a tissue.
Speaker 4: Do you think you'll bring back? Could you go to the improv lab and bring back your show?
Speaker 5: I don't like being responsible, Yeah for people, Oh this person's running late and you got to find someone to Yeah. I have canceled also, and I feel like I deserve people to cancel on me when I'm in charge right right, And I just don't. I just don't want to deal with that. It's so stressful.
Speaker 4: I have never done it. I've never been responsible for a show. It's too much for me.
Speaker 5: I feel like when I'm hosting and producing or whatever, the last thing I'm thinking about is the performing. Yes, and that's like, that's not fun for me.
Speaker 2: So it becomes yeah, becomes when April and I had that show at the improv lab. It was so fun to have something that like we rely on, that we knew we were going to do. We would see all the people we liked, we would have a fun night, all those things.
Speaker 3: That was good times.
Speaker 2: But but I never wrote anything. I thought it would make me write new material. And it was like the opposite where I started treating it like a history assignment that I didn't want to get done.
Speaker 1: It was like, what am I doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, now I'm just producing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you doing it anywhere regularly? No?
Speaker 4: I mean it's kind of dumb the question, because I don't go anywhere regularly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, not regular I don't know why I never crossed paths with you. Are you like on the road a lot?
Speaker 4: Or I've started doing like a like kind of the Austin Just kidding.
Speaker 3: No, I.
Speaker 4: Am getting better about performing in town, but for a while I was lazily waiting until I was out of town.
Speaker 5: I get it. I just think it's like a fun time right now, Like I just think there's a lot show.
Speaker 2: Well and fun and I feel like I was just listening to this thing because about the rise of the fascist Christian nationalists in this country.
Speaker 3: And I jokingly just brought that up. Did you hear me say I didn't know I backed out of my own show the all right, yes jokes.
Speaker 2: But they were talking about the reason, like they're trying to figure out like what's going on aside from the political action, Like what's going on why people?
Speaker 1: And it's this idea.
Speaker 2: It's called something like group effervescence, where when you're in a crowd and like a singular thing happens and everyone experiences it together. There's it's why people love concerts, and it's why like it's why Trump people started going to all those rallies. It's this unification that we as humans need because it's like this bonding and this social thing. And I think comedy is crucial to that for for like certain people in for sorry, but smart people, because it's like going and having smart people go, here's some new thoughts, not the same old shit you're hearing over and over again in like commercials or conversations about the water cooler. Here's this crazy thing you've never put together before, and the crowd is like, fuck yeah, this is I love this and everyone's having this like unified experience. So that's my theory of why, even though it's going to change because everything always does comedy and that live performing will.
Speaker 1: Always be a thing.
Speaker 3: I think you're right. We can rest asired, and don't worry.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to ask you when we're going to see you perform.
Speaker 3: Oh, there has been talks.
Speaker 5: I only know every single word, even the banter to your liirl. Yeah, you guys know, I'm like, this is my fan fan club thing. I want to be here. I'm like the biggest fan of both of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wait, So nineteen ninety very big year for me. I'm not gonna say why, but it was least.
Speaker 1: Do not tell me you were born in nineteen.
Speaker 5: Ninety what that was in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I started in Sacramento, but moved to San Francisco almost immediately after.
Speaker 5: Okay, and who was doing a stand up in San Francisco in nineteen ninety ish.
Speaker 2: The headliners were like Greg Proops, Mark Marin.
Speaker 3: The Bulldog comedy, Bobby Slaty Slate.
Speaker 2: Was the punchline that, yeah, she knows comedy.
Speaker 1: The pit Bull was there.
Speaker 3: I believe were Pitbull there.
Speaker 2: I know she was in Florida and of course worldwide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a ton of asing people and then there was like.
Speaker 5: Was Joey Gladstone there?
Speaker 1: No, I mean not that I knew. Wait, not that I would acknowledge you.
Speaker 5: Do you understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Of the ice Cream glad show.
Speaker 5: No, but I'm telling you there's like a millennial or two that thinks I just said the funniest thing in the world. Oh No, Joey Gladstone was Dave Coolier's character. I'm full and he was a San Francisco stand up comedy.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 4: Please explain it to anyone with a false hip in the car that I didn't know it was a comic on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was cut it out, but there was the kids catchphrase. She was just making her dad he was the uncle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Uncle Joey is responsible for that one, which my mind was blown when I moved here and realized, like, oh wait, they didn't shoot that in San Francisco, Like they didn't even like ever, Probably go to San like they did the opening credits there. Yeah, and then everything else is probably at like Warner Brothers or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they were here in Burbank probably probably.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's just one establishing shot of a house near Dolores Park.
Speaker 5: Or because I was in San Francisco like a couple of years back, and I went to some like live music thing, and I'm like, I wonder if this is where Uncle Jesse would perform, because on the show he was a local musician.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, wait, now, whatever, it's not real real life, he was drumming for the Beach Boy.
Speaker 5: Wait did everyone on Full House?
Speaker 3: Did their characters have their real life interests?
Speaker 5: Probably, you know, I think so, except Bob Seger's character. Well, then there's also Aunt Becky, which is a turned into a different storyline in real life. But she was a newscaster with Bob Bob Sagan. Yeah, and that is what Karen watched every morning to hear the next.
Speaker 2: When I would get up and smoke a clove and stare out the window and then watch the local news that was.
Speaker 5: Called Wake Up San Francisco.
Speaker 1: But I'd be like, I don't want to.
Speaker 5: Also, Uncle Joey at one point was a Ventrillo quizt, which is another thing. Uncle Joey was Dave Coolier, Okay.
Speaker 2: Joey Gladstone, the comedian, the stand up that we were out there doing sets with.
Speaker 5: That's so funny.
Speaker 4: Thank you for explaining that because we just let it breeze by.
Speaker 2: I literally was taking I immediately picture in my head a blonde guy.
Speaker 1: That's kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Maybe my subconscious had some idea of what you were doing, but in my head I was just like younger, probably hipper. I wasn't around during the Gladstone era.
Speaker 5: Stone era. Here's the deal. I have a date. Look at this. Oh we've I forgot.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that was a possibility, and we need to quickly. Okay, well let's change the subject to that.
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, let's do it. I need to. It's it became a tentative thing not that long ago. I am sort of in a Flake era a little bit, and I did tell because he was telling me like, oh, he's like in Santa Monica and then he has to drive to downtown and then has to come back over here.
Speaker 3: So he's busy all the time.
Speaker 1: Is an uber driver?
Speaker 5: No, but he does live downtown, which I'm like, I'm not going there. So I was like, do you want to do it some other time, because like, I don't want to wait for like, because he it sounds like he wants to be there later than I want to be there. Beware be at a restaurant.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, so you're going to arrest?
Speaker 2: Is it restaurant over here? Like we can Yeah, we can drop either if it.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is pretty close by. This is great.
Speaker 4: We're not only are we back in the car, we're actually taking you to a real.
Speaker 5: Not only that, it's my first date being single. I haven't been on a date since before the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Oh my lord, I love this flight. Can we change the podcast to that? Yes? To do you need a date?
Speaker 1: First date?
Speaker 5: And I thought I would share that with you guys, because.
Speaker 3: How do you feel? Are you nervous?
Speaker 5: Do you well? Okay? To be fair, I do think that covid changed the dating world in some ways. And one way is like, first of all, I'm not meeting anybody until I FaceTime you. Oh and so we already did a two hour FaceTime, so I kind of got a lot of that out of the way. This is when I go it went well well enough to do a tentative dinner.
Speaker 2: It was the beginning because I find FaceTime so horrifying. Every time it comes on my phone is so close to my face and it's awful. But how do you deal with Maybe this is the way I should structure this question. How do you deal with like the awkwardness of a conversation like that?
Speaker 1: Would you have any tips or tricks?
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm very big on this now. I'm just gonna be completely honest with you, guys. This is my first date, not in my home. I've had a person or two over. I'm not gonna lie. Okay, we've met, you know, and yeah, some arts and crafts or whatever it is that we did around sure, yeah, yeah, Deaco par Yes. The guy that came over, his name was Michael. He told me he had a store and his Africa and they're Christian, uncle hobby anyways, So this is how I do it. First, I talk to them until I feel like they're not creepy, Like I need to make sure you could have a conversation, like a little bit of back and forth, yeah whatever. Sometimes it takes longer. Actually, I don't allow it to take that that long. I need to make sure I like, I like going back and forth with you. And then I say, we got to hop over to FaceTime, which some of these apps just have it built in so you don't even have to like exchange your phone number. And then I mean I don't want to give it way too much because then if anyone one listening is going to be like, wait, she does that with other people. Usually I'm like, oh my god, you are real.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're fake.
Speaker 7: No, you have to say that, yeah, definitely, because you do.
Speaker 3: There is the chance that it's you're being catfished.
Speaker 5: Totally, or that I could be a catfish too.
Speaker 3: You could be a burglar, you could have a scheme.
Speaker 4: Ask if we can all be anything we want to if we put our minds to it, we could be any criminal we want.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. And I've had all kinds of experiences and I'm very picky with any of the stuff, but I've had facetimes where I'm like, it's not going past this, like nope, I don't know. I'm also secretly psychic. I don't really like lead with that, but I am pretty psychic about like picking up vibes. Also back to comedy, I feel like comedians have to be like you have to be good at like reading rooms and like picking.
Speaker 3: Up on vibe.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that sort of thing, and I just am very in tune I feel with that when it comes to people living people, I'm not like a medium. I can't predict anything. I'm not gonna like, I can't charge anyone for it.
Speaker 3: But that's a shame. I know.
Speaker 5: I am definitely like I can just tell if I'm like, okay, you're creepy or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So this guy has passed a two hour FaceTime. Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That's a long FaceTime. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So and after dinner with Bowling, I don't even know. That's the heart of my whole life. It's been the hardest thing in the world to think of date ideas.
Speaker 5: Oh and there's Euphuria, which is a pet salon ufurry. Oh it is, and you leave looking like the girls from Euphoria, sparkles underneath your eyes. Your dog will have rhyanstone.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: This is shameless.
Speaker 5: So wait, what was the thing you asked me?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Dates, I think this one I would just end there because I like him. Yeah, I think I think we should just take it slow.
Speaker 4: You know, when you call it quits in the FaceTime stage, are you open do you just kind of oh, I gotta go, that's my internet, just went out and unplug it, or do you say I can tell this isn't going anywhere, so goodbye? Like I cut and dry, so you don't have to worry about it anymore.
Speaker 3: Of course you don't.
Speaker 5: You're nice, No, I'm pretty honest.
Speaker 3: Well, you're still nice.
Speaker 5: I'm just kind of like, I'm not for everyone, that's for sure. I'm a specific flavor fame, but there is a man. Okay, Well, first of all, let me backtrack. Another era I'm in is my cougar era. I'm definitely talking to guys that are younger than me, and I don't know, I think like being six foot one and like a comedian and whatever, like I'm kind of like, uh, what's the word, Like, I'm kind of bossy.
Speaker 3: You have the upper hand.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of like I don't like that. And I think my comedy persona too, is definitely from a place of real life, and it's a side of me that's like, like, I've been having so much fun lately yelling at audience and just being like, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, it is pretty cool that you're getting dropped off in this way. At least it gives you something to talk about. Oh, I got dropped off by a mobile.
Speaker 5: Podcast the sentence, and.
Speaker 1: So show cross should cover that all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, I'm bossy god, and you know, sometimes these guys don't like that, and I don't blame them, but sometimes they're like.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're like hello, Hello, I like that.
Speaker 5: But so to answer your question, if the ViBe's not right, I'm just like, you know, I'm not feeling this.
Speaker 4: And so you do say that, I'm such a lamp. I'm scared to say I'm not feeling that.
Speaker 1: So what do you do?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: I let it go on for three or four years?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know. I'm definitely dating guys that are a few years younger than me, which is it's really interesting because I'm, you know, I'm millennial age, and there's people that are a few years younger than me that just have like a very different outlook, Like the their idea of like dating and gender and like all that stuff is so different than my age and older. Yeah, so in a way that's refreshing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so much better. And like, of course, I've had a lot of experiences dating guys are like my age, are older that are a little bit more like don't tell my wife, Like yeah, just like yeah, no one knows I'm here, do they don't tell my wife? A yeah, sir, their go home?
Speaker 1: Please your family, please go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So these younger guys, which I feel, I'm it's weird because I'm not old, but they're like, there is a big difference between millennial and you know, people in their twenties mid twentiesies, Yeah, alphas or whatever. Yeah, there's just a lot more that are like, yeah, bye, I'm pan sexual, I'm whatever, I'm no big deal. So that's great. Yes, And I haven't having some with that.
Speaker 4: And that age group is rarely hiding from wives. I just like.
Speaker 3: A train robber.
Speaker 5: They all have eight wives or whatever because they're all polyamorous. But everyone's fine with it. Yeah, you know, so it's an interesting it's an interesting adjustment to talk to people that you're like, oh, wow, you don't have a problem with that. I'm like conditioned to believe that, like this thing is bad, right whatever, and they're like, well, I grew up when it wasn't and then it's it is very refreshing. Yeah. Nice, it's such a huge change. Yeah, Yeah, I like them. I like that age group a lot. They keep me young.
Speaker 1: And they're possible.
Speaker 2: Sorry sir, they couldn't make a decision like that's yeah, because they're possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess I am bossy. Well, also, like I feel like it's easy for a lot of guys on dating apps to or just anyone in general, just to kind of be disrespectful or like, you know, they don't talk to you the way that they would in real life. It's just like they just instantly are gross, you know, Like I'll just I'll encounter guys that are just like, what are you wearing right now? Yeah, and it's like can you say hi? How are you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 5: That's how I'm bossy. That's when I'm like no. But sometimes it's like, God, you are really cute though, so I'm like, don't talk to me normal, And then if they don't, then I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, and that's also a good idea. The FaceTime gets rid of that. Oh I'm a tough guy when I'm texting or you know. That's why I've never liked about email, even if someone wants to be confronting and then all of a sudden it's like, well, I'm not going to go back and forth with email.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to call, and then.
Speaker 4: They will totally change their tune and I, oh, yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it's like the people that write the mean comments and stuff. Yeah, okay, well it's looking like if I do hang out with them, it's going to be late.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, but I love it though.
Speaker 2: I mean, the possibility is really fun and the idea that, like, you know, there's something really about an official date that's very I realize we're all always trying to be like, no big deal, everything's low key. But at the same time, it's like, you made it past, let's just call it phase three or whatever, and now you're in phase four, which doesn't happen that often, so it's exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know. I don't even know how I feel about if I want a date, Like that's why I'm just kind of like whatever, Like I just kind of am on the dating apps and then I don't know, sometimes someone nice pops up that I can actually have a conversation with, and I'm like, sure, why not? Yeah? So yeah, but can we at least drive by the restaurant stuck it out practice.
Speaker 3: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 5: It's here in Burbank. It's something Vegan on Riverside Drive Riverside. That was my suggestion because it's one of my favorite restaurants.
Speaker 3: Are you Vegan?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I am, but I have a real sweet tooth. And so if if you hand me a doughnut and you don't tell me what's in it, I'm not gonna ask.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not gonna be.
Speaker 5: But I don't eat meat.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, I actually went to.
Speaker 5: Grease, just peanut oil and stuff like that. I actually went to something vegan yesterday with Jackie Beat Jackie Bee one of the great Marry drag queen.
Speaker 2: You know, my first writing job I ever had was Jackie Beat was on the staff too true.
Speaker 5: I'm a historian of you people, I really am. I know everything about all of you.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 7: I just thought you blurted that out, and I like the show was called it was it was a skeed show.
Speaker 3: Right, it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean I hang out with Jackie constantly, and I've heard so many stories about so many things that I'm like a biographer.
Speaker 1: Please say the next time you hang out with Jackie Frock.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because Jackie Beat is truly a genius in a way that like I kind of didn't understand. And it was like I would see the work they did at that show and just be like, holy.
Speaker 1: Shit, how did you think of that? But then like, have you ever seen Jackie Bete live, Like, just do a show?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 5: She's incredible. She's also a brilliant singer.
Speaker 2: Like so she plays to be Arthur in the Golden Girls show that they used to do at Cassio sell Campo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and actually, I think it's all right if I say it. There will be a run in August at the Lyric Hyperion and I'll be playing Rose. Wow. Congratulations, I've done it in the past. It's big shoes to fill Drew DROGI. But yeah, I'll be doing it and I'm very excited.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's yeah. And where's that Larry's going to be at the lyrics? Oh, that's great.
Speaker 2: Golden Girls was one of the first things I did out of true quarantine, like when people literally weren't going anywhere anything, and that show started up again.
Speaker 1: I can't remember how it.
Speaker 2: All kind of played out, but I was like, I need to do this and I need to go be around actual people and stuff and this of the theme song at the beginning of that showing all together.
Speaker 3: It was oh, yeah, that would be great, beautiful.
Speaker 2: It really really helped me a lot out of you know, two and a half years of just like watching TV with my dog.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's that's a big I mean, that's a big part of my like queer upbringing as an adult is like working with them and doing because I've done like the Guest Star Rules with them since I don't know, twenties fourteen or fifteen or something, and I've done a bunch of them and then a bunch of other shows in that basement with the same people Jackie Bee, Cherry Vine, San Pegget or Jogi, and it's just a magical little crew of the best of the best. Really, yeah, it really is like a special.
Speaker 4: Did you do a pilot with them? That I watched? That was funny? And now I'm not remembering the plot, but I laughed a lot.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I did do a pilot with them, maybe it wasn't. Well how long the thing of the lyric? Is it like a run or do you committed to its emotion?
Speaker 5: We like about two weeks, like Thursday to Sunday, maybe eight shows or so a week gets great, So it just gets better and better.
Speaker 2: Does that mean Casito Theater is gone permanently for now? Oh, they're gonna They're gonna figure out a way to build a fire exit.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I don't know the exact details, but I'm hopeful.
Speaker 2: I am too, because God, I love that place so much. I mean lyric I Perian is great and like there's we've all done shows and whatever, but there's something about Casitos because it is downstairs, which is very like that rat Scalar comedy room. That's like where I started to and it just is I just love it.
Speaker 5: Like the kids are in the basement play the parents. Yes, very low ceilings, which I love.
Speaker 3: I require them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Drew and Sam did that show when they were the Spiritual Leaders Drews and they were doing riffs, like naming different parts of the audience, giving them names, and at one point Sam just goes like this to like the top row of people and it's like the original cast of the sand Loot and the Funniest. It's just like that's that's how comedy is not going anywhere. Live performance isn't going anywhere. Yeah, people need that ship. It is so funny, it's so good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, anyone, I forget that. I forgot people who are listening to us. If anyone listening, uh doesn't know what we're talking about. This place Casita del Campo, and it's the Los Angeles area called Silver Lake, and it's family owned Mexican restaurant. The food is great, it is. The decor is so fun.
Speaker 3: Now you're talking. It's right down the street from y Yes, right, I love it there.
Speaker 5: It's a pink building and the most gorgeous mosaic tables and very queer but you know, open for everyone. And then in the basement there's a little theater.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's so great. It's the perfect size too, because it's what like.
Speaker 5: A hundred even last maybe seventy or something like that. I used to do my podcast live down there because they say it's haunted. Oh no really, yeah, I would have like psychics and we do, like we do boards and stuff down there and live on stage.
Speaker 2: Wait, ro Should we spend a little bit of time talking about your podcast just for the marketing aspect?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's a cross marketing congratulations, yes, being an exactly right family member, family, welcome to this.
Speaker 5: Can we talk about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because this comes out like a week after.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, wow, my tongues. Now you tell me. Yeah, it is a true dream. I have to tell you, like everybody that you got over at this exactly the right thing. They are so they make me feel so special. They make me feel so appreciated and just excited. It's just really like an exciting place. The morale is high. I just I love it. It's been a dream working with everybody. I have no notes whatsoever, Like I'm not even kidding you, no notes, and you like, there was a thing just the other day where they were kind of showing me some wording of something that I could say, and I was like, I've had so many people be like, here's something that you should say or whatever that I'm like I would never say. And I was looking at this and I'm like, this is the first time ever. This is like this sounds like me. You must have spent so much time listening to my podcast, and like, I just it just really.
Speaker 3: Felt that way.
Speaker 4: When I read the promos we recorded the other day, it was in our voices, well, attention is being paid.
Speaker 1: Attention is paid and by people.
Speaker 2: You know, we have an amazing Allison and Aaron the marketing but Aaron Brown who she writes those scripts, and and Alison, you know they zet all that stuff, but they dive in like it's The approach is obviously the approach of like a fan, like you have to love a show to add it to your mix, because it's like now we now we're all working together, so like, yeah, get into it and know the voice and I know that's it's It's so nice.
Speaker 1: I love those guys so much. They do such an amazing job.
Speaker 4: When you when you get things up and running. If you need a guest, I'd like to. I have a new I did stand up at a haunted Renwick mansion in Devenport, Iowa.
Speaker 3: Uh so I can talk about that.
Speaker 4: I don't want to give away anything, but let's just say some doorknobs jiggled.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, and mostly I scared myself, but the vibes were there.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to give away anymore. There was an abandoned seboard to give away some visuals.
Speaker 5: Wow, I'm very excited to hear about your scared doorknobs. No, that's great. Yeah yeah, but anyway, this whole thing dream City ya dot com.
Speaker 1: We've lucky to have you. No, it's just.
Speaker 5: Thank you well, and I'm so passionate about the show that like to have other people be really into it too. It's like it just feels great. It feels really really nice.
Speaker 2: Art appreciated and supported. It's really quite something. Did it for a long time kind of with none of that.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, it really makes a huge difference.
Speaker 5: Well, and what I do is so like to me, it makes a lot of sense that people would be like, oh, what a fun like concept like ghosts and like celebrities and laughter and queerness and whatever else. But sometimes like people are like, wait, what is this, Like I don't know, They just like don't get what it is.
Speaker 1: And you're like, hang up that FaceTime called.
Speaker 5: Good bye bye. Yeah, I bring up my podcast every time I FaceTime these guys.
Speaker 4: Well, honestly, it wasn't until I did your podcast that I even asked myself if I'd had any experiences.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what's so fun. That's I love to have people on that. You know, everyone so used to being asked the same kinds of questions all the time or whatever. How like like I asked you, guys, when did you start doing Yeah? Yeah, But like it's it's it's fun to see how excited people are to talk about the jigly door knobs. Like I love to hear people telling stories that they've never told before and then thinking about it, and then you know, I get a lot of people that go, oh, yeah, there was this one time I completely forgot about this, and I don't know. I'm just really into the conversations it's and it opens up a lot of deeper conversations about cultural beliefs and religious beliefs and our upbringings and science.
Speaker 4: And history, all things that weren't really addressed in my home, like the spirituality and all that was just kind of which is if I've ignored it for most of my life. Yeah, and you've opened me up. And it's the reason I'm now a Ladder Day saying, And.
Speaker 5: I think it's it's to me the show is like a survey of what different people believe, because I don't have any agenda with it, Like I'm not really trying to make people believe it. I think it's up for the audience to decide. But hearing different people upbringing is a huge part of it, I think a lot of times. But it's interesting when like you weren't raised to believe in it, but then it still happens like I don't know. That to me is kind of like validating or whatever if that seed isn't planted in your head young or there's just so many different types of conversations that we can have that all kind of turn into this like list of different different things that could be true or not true, or.
Speaker 2: Like what you have experienced versus what is believed or understood, where it's kind of like I don't think when I tell the story that I told on your show when.
Speaker 1: I was on it Iconic, it's.
Speaker 2: Like my and I think I probably said it, but it's like I never am wanting people to believe me.
Speaker 1: I don't give a shit if they believe.
Speaker 2: Me or not.
Speaker 1: I know what happened totally.
Speaker 2: And it's that kind of thing where it's like sometimes people feel really defensive or really sorry, I'm going down there.
Speaker 1: Sorry sir, that's.
Speaker 4: You're right, You're right.
Speaker 1: To look at me like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's that feeling where it's just like, but it is so fun to go. I understand that this is hard to believe, but I'm still going to tell you what happened to me, because like it only happened to me, and so like it's really fun to be able to go like, can you believe this happened to me to a person that's open to hearing it, Yeah, but you also.
Speaker 5: Had other people that you lived with that experience. Yes, I did, which is validating. But that's why, Like sometimes people will be like, eh, I don't believe in that stuff, and I'm like, well, I still think that the show is an interesting thing because you'll probably find somebody that's been a guest that you enjoy, uh, or like are a fan of or whatever, and just hearing a good story from them. First of all, like it's just it's just good storytelling, but also it's like nobody has any reason to make any of this stuff up. It's just their experiences. And I don't know, I think it's good to be skeptical of this stuff. Why not We shouldn't just like assume everything is true, But.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: It's just fun to ponder and like think about the different possibilities of a well.
Speaker 2: And also the kind of like, uh, I don't know what I would have said before I had that experience, but then now when other people try to say it, and the people who have to say things like I don't believe in any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: It's just like, well, I'll talk to you when it happens to.
Speaker 2: You, because it's happened to a ton of people, and like, just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it isn't a possibility in the world.
Speaker 1: I'm here to tell you it is a possibility in the world.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For most of my life I said I don't believe in any of that stuff, and then now in retrospect, I'm like, oh, there was several instances where clearly.
Speaker 1: Something's going down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it happens all over the world all throughout time, like it so many people say that they've had these experiences. I feel like the last survey that they did, I want to say, said like it was over half people believe that it's possible, like paranormal experiences. Yeah, and so it's like there's gotta be something there. Like I think every single person knows somebody if you asked around.
Speaker 2: We get on my favorite order, we get hometowns where people are like my grandma told me she would send me a sign and then they'd say this very specific thing and it's not just like the light blank, it's literally like and then this thing happened that she used to do and blah blah blah. And it's like, sure people could be lying, people could always be lying, but what is the.
Speaker 1: Idea of like a story.
Speaker 2: It's such a good story to think this person that you loved so much is gone and there's somewhere else going.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm I still think about you. That's beautiful. It's the best.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, And that's what I love about It's like so much of it can be spooky. Sometimes it can be like heartwarming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it was for me also, not experiences, but so much when someone dies, like when my mom died, you are you're like, well, there has to be.
Speaker 3: Some spiritual element to this. I refuse to believe that.
Speaker 4: And then you can feel it and it's like, okay, well that wasn't necessarily a haunting, but it's something that you can feel yoh totally yeah, and you can't put it into words and convince someone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And like when I when I ask around to people to be guessed on the show, like sometimes they don't have a Karen Kilgar level story tale.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 5: It might just be like a short because most of the time these things are like little things that happen. They're not like big, long stories, but it makes one believe like, oh there could be more. Yeah, there could be more out there. Maybe one day I live in a house like Karen Kilgar.
Speaker 1: Anyone can live in that rental house in Sacramento.
Speaker 5: So that episode when you were at I'm telling you that when I was I was recording in my shower during the pandemic, and it just the audio is so bad, but it's like the best story ever.
Speaker 1: We'll have to revisit.
Speaker 5: That would be a dreamy way. So well, here we are at my mansion.
Speaker 3: When it said the Golden Girls show.
Speaker 5: Run August sometime, follow me at Roz Hernandez and I'll tell you there is.
Speaker 1: That all your handles on everywhere we can find you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, TikTok is at its ros Hernandas, but I'm mainly just Instagram. Yeah, even if I posted TikTok, I'll put it on Instagram.
Speaker 6: Love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the best. I love ros I love to.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, why don't you guys marry you're going on again? Well you've been listening to Dee Whyan.
Speaker 3: I lave.
Speaker 4: This has been an exactly right production produced by Annalise Nelson, mixed by Edson Choi.
Speaker 1: Our talent booker is Patrick Kottner.
Speaker 3: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y nar Podcast.
Speaker 4: For more information, go to exactlyrightmedia dot com.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Oh, You're welcome.