Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory Spelling and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: It's funny how life works out and everything happens for a reason. And literally, when I was on Dancing with the Stars, I got offered this movie Lost in the Everglades, film mea Florida in the Everglades. I couldn't accept the movie because we didn't know how long I was going to stay on Dancing with the Stars, because it could have been a contender. I was robbed. But so after two fruitful weeks double elimination, she got nothing and I got Lost in the Everglades. So it works out, you guys. I left the ballroom and headed to the alligators. Gosh, there's some joke in there somewhere is and they're there is okay, I don't know what it is. So ruth Anne and I are here because ruth Anna is very, very loyal. Thanks for coming into the Everglades with me anytime. So let's go one step further back. So we're here right now in Florida, in Fort Lauderdale, filming in the Everglades. And I get the script for Lost in the Everglades and it's a movie.
Speaker 3: I'm the lead.
Speaker 2: It's a thriller, and I'm like, oh, take me back where I belong. Women in peril movies. I did them through the nineties. I excel at this shit like tving movies. You know that this is a TV movie, but like just that thriller and like, yeah, women rescuing women and fighting off the bad guys and the alligators and when and I'm like, I know, it's like the back of my hand. But Ruthianne had concerns about this movie. Whether I was in the ballroom or not.
Speaker 1: I had major concerns. Okay, at the time that the call came in asking.
Speaker 3: About your availability for the movie. That was at the.
Speaker 1: Precise moment that Hurricane Helene was hitting Florida. And I am someone who really likes to follow hurricanes when they happened. And so I was on Facebook and whatnot looking at various videos of wins today.
Speaker 3: Why I need to work more so you don't have time to stuff. That's a really good point.
Speaker 1: And some of the videos coming in were of alligators that were in flooded streets and people walking into their homes waist deep in water only to find an alligator floating in their living room.
Speaker 3: And I thought to myself nights me.
Speaker 1: But Okay, I thought to myself, I don't know if this is really the best time to go to the Everglades. Maybe it's not a good time to go to Florida at all as a matter of fact. But you were still on the show, So I wasn't that concerned, all right.
Speaker 2: And then we have Bump Bump bom double elimination, and it's like, oh, you're available.
Speaker 1: And then Hurricane Milton hit, right, and I was triply concerned.
Speaker 3: Because things were not looking so good in Florida.
Speaker 2: And make note of this from the beginning that none of that was my concern, right, Nope, nope, nope. I said, Okay, you know what I've been through. I've been through a lot. I feel bad for everyone that's gone through all the horrors of the hurricanes and everything they've been through. But I was like, you know what, I'm going to put it just into individual perspective from within my life.
Speaker 3: That's all I can do is apply myself to it. And I'm like, you know what I've been through.
Speaker 2: I've been through a lot, and in this last year, I've gone through a lot, and you know what, I'm not going to be stopped by an alligator. No, I'm going to go. I'm going to go do it. My only thing was I hate leaving my kids. That's always a big deal for me. And it's the time of year where they're all in school and so I you know, if I could take them with me, if it was some more vacation, I could bring.
Speaker 3: All five with me, that would be great. But I couldn't.
Speaker 2: But anyway, so that was my concern. I wasn't afraid of the storms. I wasn't afraid of alligators, or the mosquitoes, or the mosquitoes, gjuanas or I love iguanas, or the ndalyst invasive species that populate the Florida Everglades.
Speaker 3: Uh huh so uh anyway she did.
Speaker 2: She kept sending me articles on the everglades, and on purpose, I didn't look them up. And I was like, I don't know, everglades is not something you plug into the wall and like makes the room smell good.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like I am not going there.
Speaker 1: I was just trying to be responsible, right and make sure you had all the.
Speaker 3: Inf well, get the decision well.
Speaker 2: As usual, I chose to make a decision not based on not being informed, not being informed because it's how I roll. So anyway, long story short, we got on a plane and we flew to Florida and we started this movie. And here we are winding up this movie and guess what, she's.
Speaker 3: Still here, still standing as all are land.
Speaker 2: Let me knock them, let me knock on wood. Jeez, the day left.
Speaker 3: But it's actually.
Speaker 2: Turned out to be one of the best experiences ever on a set with the crew. I concur Sunshine Films executive producers Damien and Jacobo, and Damien is directing it. And I'm telling you this crew that they've done so many movies together, it's like a well oiled machine. I have not only felt welcomed, I felt accepted. They are kind and they enjoy what they do. They are passion and they're talented, and all the actors cast are great.
Speaker 3: I mean. So a little backstory.
Speaker 2: It's about a mother whose college age daughter, single mom, college age daughter is going for spring break, goes off to South Beach. I believe are they from Indiana?
Speaker 3: I believe they're okay?
Speaker 2: And she disappears and it's a mother's hunt of knowing something is wrong. Tracking down. Uh, there's a love interest maybe a snake hunter. I'm saying maybe, yeah, And she goes into the Everglades to find her daughter. And this movie spoke to me on many levels. Not the Everglades, not the alligator, but I am a mom. It spoke to me on one level, okay, and I went with that. But yeah, I can only imagine how us mothers feel on you know, any given Friday night when our kids are like, oh, safe arrival. Call I'm at this party, and you're like tracking location, and then the location goes out.
Speaker 3: This happens in this movie, and then you're like, wait, where are they?
Speaker 2: But you know I can get in a car and drive twenty minutes and be like track them down or call one of their friends.
Speaker 3: This doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: So anyway, it's about a mother's fight to get her daughter back. Tommy Rose plays my daughter. She is gorgeous and talented, and people say we could look like mother and daughter. I prefer sister and sister, but you know, whatever gets the job done anyway. Yeah, we filmed the movie primarily in the Everglades. I am proud to say that I did what ninety nine percent of my own stunts.
Speaker 1: Absolutely much to my chagrin, but yes, you did your own stunts.
Speaker 3: What is this word you say, chagrin? What is this word horror? Maybe what languages is that? And old fashioned?
Speaker 1: Speaking of old I do want to add those old people listening to your podcasts, we have one of those, maybe a couple that the location where the within the Everglades is where the old TV show gentle Ben was shot like a hundred years ago. Remember that moment you just made our podcast not relevant.
Speaker 2: So anyway, it is the coolest experience though. So one thing that I have learned, and I keep trying to take this through my life, that I'm really open to not being fearful. Everyone knows. If you know me, you know you know that I'm very fearful in life. And this new chapter, as Brian Austin Green says, Tory two point oh, I am letting go of all those fears and I'm taking on things that scare me, which is why I took on the Ballroom and me.
Speaker 3: That's why I took on you. I took on you twenty five years ago. Well that's that's way I got it. This thing on. We're here all day, well at least for another ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Okay, So no, no, I'm taking on things that scare me and look in them right in the eye. So you guys side note, if you see an alligator, you go zig zag, zigzag zigzag because they.
Speaker 3: Can't keep up. Little known fact if you ever run into one.
Speaker 2: But anyway, I took on Dancing with the Stars because I had said no for thirty two seasons, so I said yes. Thirty third season got kicked off. First lesson learned. But I'm not better you guys at all.
Speaker 3: WHOA, I'm not.
Speaker 2: I take with it so much transformation that I've learned in anyway. So normally something like this would scare me to death. I would be like, oh my god, I'm going out where there's going to be dangerous animals.
Speaker 3: I can't am I going to get hurt?
Speaker 2: And for me, I went into this, I was like, no, Tory two point ogg got nothing on me. We were in this, Like what area were we in with the airboats? It's a swamp Everglades. Yeah, like where we filmed. You could not get to set without going on an airboat.
Speaker 3: Right, this was deep in the Everglades.
Speaker 2: Oh like deep, like like weeds coming out like Everglades is that what they are everglades, everglades and yeah, swamps filled with When you asked like, hey, I'm just wondering, like how.
Speaker 3: Deep does this go, They're like, oh, it goes deep.
Speaker 2: And you're like, look at me in these waters and they're like, oh, there's gators, there's water mocksins. In fact, one island we filmed on was called cotton Mouths Island. You weren't there that day, No, no, you missed that. And when we took the airboat up to it, it was Gerald's place.
Speaker 3: Jerald of quite a character. Uh.
Speaker 2: He told me that, Yeah, they filmed all kinds of movies and stuff. And I was like, who is the favorite celebrity that you worked with? And he was like Desperate Housewives. I was like, I said, a celebrity, not a show, but yes, okay, Gerald. And then he was very excited to tell me that he was in two of the movies that filmed on his little island. His little island literally consists of a cabin.
Speaker 3: And an island around it.
Speaker 2: That's it, with alligators, with alligators surrounding it.
Speaker 3: And so he was in Lake Fear one and two.
Speaker 2: He plays a bad guy. He dies in number two. I told him I would check it out shout out to Gerald anyway. He uh yeah, So he would sit old man character bunny.
Speaker 3: He would sit on his rocking chair.
Speaker 2: And there's some scenes where I have to go in the water and when we did my deal.
Speaker 3: Is it a deal actress? Do deals? Contract? Whatever? Deal signs? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ruthanne was very concerned about aligators and me doing it, so she wanted to make sure I had a stunt double correct, which they are so great here. I had a stunt double. Her name is love I Love Jones, and she's amazing. But me being me, I was like, I want to do as many of the stunts as I can do. So they're like, are you going to get in the water, like there's alligators in there, and I was like, yep, so and I was like nope. And when she says nope makes me say yep even more true.
Speaker 3: This is our dynamics. So you know, the more you say no to me, the more I do it.
Speaker 2: So, uh, there's a scene where I'm supposed to be like a flailing in the swamp and there's alligators. The thing is and my kids kept asking this, like because there was an alligator wrangler.
Speaker 1: Xavier was who's loss more than one? There's the how many alligators there? They need multiple wranglers.
Speaker 2: Right Max Fish group look him up. You can rent macm ac m A c K. But Marshall owns it and you can Their whole family works with this, and you can get airboats, you can go fishing and get shown snakes if you want to all guide it tour. They all work as a family. So Xavier and Marshall were the alligator wranglers. So they come into the water with you and I'm like, holes.
Speaker 1: They have poles to tur the alligator. So Xavier, who's with me? He says, don't worry.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I don't know where I got this. I'm like, no, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: And he's like, well, if the alligator comes and they come fast, I just prod him right here in his head and he'll be like and I'll like it and he'll turn around so he won't eat you.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, sounds good action.
Speaker 2: Uh No, So we did it. And as we're filming this scene, we have eyes. They're telling everyone we got eyes on a gator and sure enough, you know, I look over and I'm like I got eyes on a gator too, and he's just like and they're like, don't worry about him. He's a young lad.
Speaker 3: He's just curious. And I was curious, Like he'll come up and he won't bite. Oh no, they all bite.
Speaker 2: But but he's curious. He's just curious what's happening. He's not scared. Oh God, I'm glad he's not scared. Okay, So and they said, oh, he's a small one.
Speaker 3: He's like six seven.
Speaker 1: Feet as opposed to the twelve foot one on the other side.
Speaker 2: Of that island, right, the one they called Richard. And you say, why why is he named Richard? Because he's a dick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what they what they say.
Speaker 2: And they have to like rope an aira off, like don't go near Richard.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, they rope it off with police tape. Yeah, like, don't go here, he will be a dick. Don't pust out the dick here.
Speaker 3: It's not good. It's yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so we got eyes on him, so anyway I can see him, and I'm starting my scene and I'm in the water and they're like, toy, are you fine, and fine, I'm like, yeah, you guys, roll rolling, fine, fine, covered in swamp water, going underneath swoowing lots of swamp water, which my stomach's a littlequeasy from that.
Speaker 3: Uh So, if you ever want.
Speaker 2: A really good detox like guttural cleanse, just go to the Everglades and I should bottle it maybe it's new business, and guzzle it.
Speaker 3: Because ooh, that'll keep you going for days. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, so I see him, I know he sees me, and then all of a sudden, I have to be splashing around because I'm.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be oh girl, the exact thing you shouldn't do around an alligator, right, But.
Speaker 3: In my scene, I said, snap, girl, I can't sway him. Help me, help me, hot man, I'm coming by a boat.
Speaker 2: So uh, I start to splash and he I just see him, and he's probably about twenty five feet away, thirty feet He was close. He was way too close, way too close for our comfort. But you can't they're not hired actor alligators. Because my daughter's like, well, I don't understand they're actor alligators. Why couldn't they wrangle them and put them? I was like, no, no, no, we are on their territory filming you're wild. These are wild animals, and we're just saying, please let us film near you for a bit. And I see so I start splashing and he just turns. And I have never seen anything move this fast, even me back in the heyday when I was like, oh god, it was like a flash sail at Nordstrom.
Speaker 3: I never moved this fast. This thing was fast and.
Speaker 1: It flew and I was like, I can't even tell you the speed.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know alligators can be. Like he flewp out of the water. It was just like belining for me.
Speaker 3: And all I hear is.
Speaker 1: Touring out of the water.
Speaker 2: And guys, I like to say, like, I can't really move like.
Speaker 3: I all, I like flew up myself. I think I did, like, oh maybe I did a fox trot or a rumba.
Speaker 2: See, Pasha, I learned something. I got my ass out of that water so fast, with the help of my leading man pulling me up. And yeah, he came over and they poked him and then he turned around like bomb bomp bomp.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But anyway, so I have I have happened on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: I have no.
Speaker 3: Nails left because I chewed them down. Well, you do that daily anyway.
Speaker 1: But it was very, very stressful to watch this happen, you guys.
Speaker 3: It was so exhilarating.
Speaker 2: I was going through weeds, I had a snake palk in my hands, I was bashing bad guys.
Speaker 3: I felt alive. So here's the moral of this story. The ballroom.
Speaker 2: That was just my first step on my transformation of Tory two point zero Bostonverglades.
Speaker 3: That was just my second step.
Speaker 2: Well guess what, y'all, this is our last day on the movie. And guess guess where I'm heading back till tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Earl. I'm going back to the ballroom. That's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I am taking all my skills from the Everglades and I'm going to go crush that finale on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited. Are you going to bring alligator shoes for everybody to wear? That is Horrible's is that an option? No, you guys know they're pretty texted species. No, that's a crocodiles. Actually they're not.
Speaker 1: There is a hunting season here for allig there is, I think that, and they eat them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: Not my thing, But they don't hunt Richard or the other two that are named Remember Tommy and Lisa.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Tommy, Why was it Tommy? Tommy and Lisa. There is like something to do with Elvis Presley. There was Lisa, Tommy, Pamela. Anyway, if you get to drive an airboat, do it. It was exhilarating and I got to drive it and had so much fun driving it like a speed demon on water, not like it is. It's a speed demon on water. And yeah, I got to wrestle some alligators.
Speaker 3: Check out her ig to see all the photos.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that was such cool, like slag of you, her Igh, I'm learning she is.
Speaker 3: I'm so proud of her.