Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the final hour on this Monday. More of your phone calls, best and worst of the weekend. One of our favorites, great storyteller, Gilbert Arenas, will stop buying a little bit eight seven to seven three DP show. Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you downloading the app. It's our streaming partner. You can watch all three hours if you can get through that, all the different camera angles. You get to see Fritzy, you get to see Seat and Marv, Pauli yours truly and great occasionally a backroom guy as well. Stat of the day brought to you by a Panini America. And we'll get a new poll question for the final hour. The odds for the final four has Florida favored by two and a half against Auburn and Duke favored by four and a half against Houston. We say good morning to radio affiliates. iHeartRadio, Fox Sports Radio and Seating. If you want to do the honors for the.
Speaker 3: Poll question for the final hour, Yeah, we just put one up there for Paulie. Torpedo bats look illegal? Should be illegal? Or anyone can use them, So no big deal. You want to guess where that one's.
Speaker 2: Falling. I'm gonna think that the audience is going to side where anybody can use it.
Speaker 3: Anybody can use them, So it's a big deal. That's fifty six percent of the audience right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, Stanford has a new football coach. Stanford is hiring Frank Reich the interim football coach. According to ESPN, it's a one year deal. They had some issues with Troy Taylor. He was there for a couple of years and had been accused of bullying and belittling female athletic staffers, and that was one of the first things that Andrew Luck did as their general manager as he fires him and brings in Frank Reich as the interim head football coach. Right, right thing to do. Let's think, was it worth to interrupting me?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: We'll get to more of your phone calls coming up. It was a busy weekend in basketball, obviously, with Florida surviving Texas Tech Duke Rolls, Houston Rolls in Auburn over Michigan State as well Villanova. No surprise, they got Kevin Willard from Maryland. The NFL Competition Committee voting on Tuesday, and one of the items is going to be the Tush push. And it feels like there's a ground swell here, there's momentum of getting rid of them. Tonight it's Connecticut and USC what could have been with Juju Watkins against Page Becker's Yukon is the favorite to win the national title according to DraftKings TCU in Texas. In the other game, Mike and Wisconsin, Hi, Mike, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Mary Dan?
Speaker 6: With Duke.
Speaker 5: They hit a couple losses in the regular season, but they also had ten thirty point you know, thirty point plus wins, and then they just beat Alabama by twenty Are they in the conversation with one of the best teams ever if they go on to win the championship by twenty thirty? Or is it competition as a lesser?
Speaker 2: No, you're going against number one seeds. Now if they knock out the number one seed and another number one seed, what Connecticut did the previous two years pretty impressive. I saw where the running Rebels of UNLV are going to put out their own documentary with Larry Johnson and Stacy Augman. So I think Anderson Hunt and Greg Anthony. So I think they're going to put out their own documentary. Yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: If that documentary really dives deep and is honest, people will love it what they were doing back there in the day.
Speaker 2: They're not. I don't think they're going to spill. I don't think they'll spill. And it's not a documentary, right and then well, it's like a reality show. Isn't reality. It's scripted to make it look like it's reality. You know, if you get stories great, you know Tark's no longer with us, unlike Nolan Richardson. Tark is no longer with us. When I was listening to Stephen A telling you know, God rest his soul, the late Great, and then you can't tell me you knew he was alive. When you say the late Great, you know, God rest his soul. Sometimes you just take the l you just go, oh, my bad, sorry about that, Nolan. It's okay. It's worse when you go, no, odd and didn't make a mistake. I know he's alive, the late Great. Nolan Richardson. I have to be honest. I didn't know he was still alive. But I didn't know he was daddy.
Speaker 7: Either, you'd rather lean towards alive on air and then you can that's easier to clean up. Nolan Richardson eighty three years old and counting.
Speaker 2: Oh good good, I hope he's still counting. Yes, yes, Todd.
Speaker 8: Maybe he was often not punctual, so he was the late great Nolan Richardson.
Speaker 2: There's never on time.
Speaker 4: They're not even dying.
Speaker 2: Well, but I think he also said, God rest his soul. I knew he was still alive. You did not made a mistake, big deal. You can't know everything. You can't. Uh, John in Minnesota, Hi, John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 9: So the Cooper flags. It just drives me nuts so early because there's so many can't miss prospects and you just don't know until they actually play. And I remember, so I'm the same exact age in Minnesota. Right here in Minnesota, I played against Joe Mauer and Larryzgerald in high school sports. And I remember playing summer basketball and by the way, I was the word player in this room. But Joe Mauer was two time All States, Larry Fitzgerald with All Conference. There was a guy that used to come back and play with US Nick Horvat who played at Duke, but in Minnesota he was legendary. My point is they would come back to the summer camps. All anyone talked about was a guy named Darius Miles. That's all anyone talked about. He's the next Jordan. He's amazing, He's going to the league, He's going to dominate. And then he averaged like, I think nine points a game, and that had a pretty lackluster career over there in LA.
Speaker 2: I think he was at a basketball camp. Didn't he block Jordan's shot when they were playing one on one? If I have the right player, I think there's video of that where Mike was going one on one with a camper and Darius Miles might have blocked his shot going to the hoop. But yeah, things change, and that's why when the expectation level for Cooper Flag is going to be at an all time hunt. But look at the number one picks that we've had in the last fifteen years. I mean, some have lived up to the expectations, some exceeded, and some didn't even come close to that. Cooper Flag is really good, really talented player. I want to see where he goes the coach that develops him. This is a whole process here. You just don't show up and then all of a sudden you're great. I mean, Shack took time to develop. If you look at him at LSU, he was raw. If he came out after his freshman year and the expectation, he wouldn't have lived up to the expectations immediately, but he got time to develop. Latner dominated him in college, and Shaq realized that he had to get better and understand the game, and then of course became one of the all time greats. Yes, Mark, The.
Speaker 8: Crazy thing is when I was a kid leaving early, was leaving after your junior year? Now he used to be maybe like Stephan Marbury and Tim Thomas were the only guys I could remember when I was a kid that left after even after one year, they must be crazy nice. But now it's you're staying two years.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, but you know there's certain players that need to get that extra year. They want to Steph Curry did. Steph realized he wasn't ready yet. He needed to develop his handle, which sounds crazy, but yes, he needed to develop his handle. By the way, I was watching videos. Over the weekend, I was watching Jamal Crawford videos when he's playing pickup games. I have to apologize to him. His handle was spectacular. Now I didn't see that in the pros, and maybe not at Michigan. But and I'm watching a Peyton Pritchard compilation video, and Marvin and I talk about this all the time. You know, we look at Peyton Pritchard of the Celtics, he played it Oregon. Oh yeah, nice little guy there. Yeah, it's a nice little career there. And watch watches like G League or high school, you know, compilation highlight. Holy smokes, there is so much of a like the level of that guy is really good. That guy's great to where it is with the regular guy who may have been a good basketball player in high school or even college. And you start to look at these videos and it's just you don't look at Peyton. You won't look at Peyton Pritchard the same way. If you look at this, he is just dominating. He's just taking people off the dribble, deep three, everything, coast to coast. All of this Jamal Crawford dribbling guy's falling down. It's it's almost like white chocolate. Jason Williams when he was doing those pickup games when he's like forty years of age. He's just dominating guy, dominating and having fun. But yeah, you can tell what kind of weekend I had. I'm watching Peyton Pritchard and Jamal Crawford videos.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, yeah, you sent those to me, and I'm sitting there going, first of all, you live a full life. I Second of all, I've been telling people. I was like, guys, you're right. Somebody told me this once. You know how good you have to be to be a scrub in the NBA. And obviously Payting Pitcher and Jamal they're not scrubs. But that last guy on the bench, he's killing everybody at your local YMCA, your local PRORAM because he was a legend wherever he's from.
Speaker 2: Well, you look at these videos and I was just like, first of all, I saw the video and I go, who is this guy? And then I realized it Peyton Pritchard of the Boston Celtics. Now I loved him at Oregon, but I didn't know if that translates to the NBA. You just watch a guy and he is all over the place, energetic, deep shooter. Took a little while, but he's had a couple of moments here, what do you have? Thirty nine? The other night, a couple of weeks ago, A couple more phone calls in here, Uh Nick in Irvine? Hi, Nick, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey? Damn?
Speaker 10: And you know those movies where some like an asteroid comes and hits the water and a giant wave comes and you see all the people in New York City looking up and it's like taller than all the buildings. That's what it's like to be a Dodger fan right now. And the Dodgers are that wave. And every game we just sit there and watch and we we were that wave. And it's I've been a fan for so long of the LA teams, and it happened in the eighties with the Lakers, but that's been it. But it's happening again. And the Mookie walk off in the extra innings and then the Dodgers sweep of the Tigers. That's my best of the weekend. And it's fun to be on top of that wave. The Lakers who are also like that wave, but just not as big. Their waves a little smaller. Right now, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know if I would say that they're on a wave right now, Nick, No.
Speaker 10: No, no, they're getting healthy. And they had this dagger game at the end of a four game trip. They were just they suffered in that game where they lost in the half court shot, and then they had a tough game last of a four game trip. Everyone's dying to get home, and oh it was just Lebron twenty eight, eight and six, Luca twenty nine to nine and eight, and my favorite Laker, Austin Reeves thirty one, eight and seven. If that happens, if that happens consistently, which it has barely consistently since the Luca trade. But there was a health thing. But if that happens, they're not No one's going to beat them.
Speaker 2: Yeah they will if they don't play defense. And they barely beat Indiana, so you got to factor that in as well. But thank you for the phone call, and enjoy the Dodgers' success. As I've said, I'll take the field only because I know how this works. You can be unbelievable and poster child the Seattle Mariners when they won two one and sixteen games. You better be ready and have everything ready for the postseason, because you're gonna run into somebody who matches your strengths in some areas, and then it's going to come down to can you get consistent pitching, timely hitting. It's a full proof format of what I'm blueprint. I've seen it too many times. Oh my god, that team got bounced.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: No, it's not one and done like it is in most sports or some sports, but four of seven, yes, would that be difficult. Absolutely, But you're going to run into somebody or some team and they're gonna be on a burner and you might be coasting to the end of the regular season. You might be, hey, do we get another win or not. Let's rest some people here, Hey we clinched a long time ago. Then you get into competition and you got to try to ratchet that back up. Enjoy it while you can, and Laker fans, your team has to play, defense, has to play and if they do, then, as I said, they can go to the Western Conference finals. I really believe that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Point The Dodgers have made the playoffs thirteen seasons in a row. They're a powerhouse. They've only didn't finish first one time. It is by one game. Of those thirteen playoff appearances, they won two. You know, they were two for thirteen, which any team, any franchise, would kill for two for thirteen.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break. Gilbert Arenas will tell us some stories coming up. We'll get to more phone calls as well. We're back after this from the Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Cavino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something.
Speaker 11: Right, So check us out We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. See what you update the poll results final hour on this program. Yeah, we got a couple of them going right now.
Speaker 3: NFL wants to change the tush push because of jealousy. The final four right now said tenty six percent have the best teams are there rather than it be disappointing. And we got one more up there about the Yankees bets. They look illegal, should be illegal or anyone can use them. So it's so a big deal right now, anyone can use them. Running away with that one.
Speaker 2: He's the host of Gills Arena podcast, three time All Star with the Wizards and his show, his underdog hit show just or passed one million subscribers. Look at you. You're making moves, man, your make up moves this time of the year. I think back to March Madness when you guys played for the National Championship and you played against Duke. What do you remember about that moment?
Speaker 4: That's funny because of Richard Jefferson.
Speaker 13: I remember the Final four against Michigan State where I was doing a lot of gambling for steals and try to get through a pinned down screen and Troy it was Hudson and Zach Randolph closed that uh door on me and I tore a soft tissue muscle in my chest. I finished the game, but you know I was hurt going into the championship game.
Speaker 2: Or you would have beaten Duke. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 4: Of course I was a man on fireback.
Speaker 2: Was that Mike Dunlevy's Duke team.
Speaker 13: Yes, that was Mike dun Leaby's breakout game, you know. But they had a loaded roster. Also that uh Jason will or Jay Will Boozer. You had Duhan Young Duhan Shane Battier was the best player on the team, so they were there.
Speaker 4: They were also loaded.
Speaker 2: Did you hate Duke?
Speaker 14: I did?
Speaker 13: I did because I thought, you know, even though I was hurt, we still had a chance to win that game. And I think there was like twenty two missed calls in that game, which we felt we was reffed unfairly.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, who decided there were twenty two miss calls?
Speaker 4: You know, you know esping.
Speaker 13: After, you know, when you watch after, you know there was a pivotal play where Jason Gardner was dribbling and he stopped and Jay Will fell on him, which would have been his third foul in the first and they didn't even call him.
Speaker 4: He's just sitting there. Jay Will's fell all on him.
Speaker 13: He's just sitting there, just bouncing the ball, and they never actually called that foul.
Speaker 2: So you think Duke getting preferential treatment.
Speaker 13: It felt that way, It felt that it did feel that way, But you know, it's the championship game.
Speaker 4: You know, they can't call it everything.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm curious with Nil, with your son and your daughter. You do have the financial means that you know, but do you still how are they taking advantage Will they take advantage of nam him likeness? Your son and daughter very very highly rated recruits.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, I told them, you know, there's n I L and then there's collective.
Speaker 13: Right most you know parents are mixing the two and they don't understand the difference. N I L is your name and likeness, so you have to be a popular player and personality. The collective is what everyone's getting from the school themselves, right, So you know the school money is very different from the n IL NIL. You have to earn through your performance, your social media presence. So you know they're understanding. You know that that uh, that.
Speaker 2: Situation okay, but are you their agent? Are you negotiating?
Speaker 4: No, No, I'll talk to agents right now.
Speaker 13: You know, my son is thinking about going with Clutch Sports, you know, and you know, working on the NIL side of it. You know, my daughter's still trying to figure out, you know, what she wants to go with. I think she might go with Aaron Goodwin for her NIL and collective deals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then your son reclassified.
Speaker 13: Yes, he went from being a junior to a senior, so he can, you know, get into college early because the collective money will be cut off April eighth and then there will be a cap in college.
Speaker 2: But do you look at Cooper Flag at eighteen being successful as any kind of blueprint or hey, my son can do the same thing at the same age.
Speaker 4: You know, you can't, you can't.
Speaker 13: You can't compare, you know, your kids to these unicorn type of kids. Well that's where a lot of parents mess up, you know. Cooper Flag is one of those rare, you know kids where you know you can't build the blue and off of you know, those type of kids, the Lebron James Cooper Flags, the Paulo ben Cheryls, the Zion William though those are one offs. Right, Cooper Flag will be successful. He's I mean, what can you say about him? Right, he's the number one pick. He will be the number one pick. And people say if AJ was in this draft, he will be the number one pick. Yeah, right, I'm sorry this Cooper Flag has it engine. You can't teach, right, you can teach him skill, you can teach him the game.
Speaker 4: You can't teach how hard he plays this game.
Speaker 13: And seventeen you know, now eighteen, I'm drafting him number one every single time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tricky. Now, who's the best player who couldn't miss that you played against or with? Like everybody thought that guy is going to be a star. And just for whatever reason, wasn't that I.
Speaker 13: Played with or seen coming into the league. We'll probably been in my draft where we had all the high school kids.
Speaker 4: You know, Eddie Curry's.
Speaker 13: The Tyson Chaman.
Speaker 4: We knew he was just a defensive player.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: The Kwame Browns.
Speaker 2: How does Mike Michael Jordan take Kwame Brown?
Speaker 4: How does he upside? What?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, so you're upside.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 13: So what you're looking at is you're looking at the age, You're looking at the body style, and you're looking at the raw potend you of the player. Where what's his ceiling? What's his his floor? And you know it's it's not the kids that are the best, it's the organization because you're taking this kid with the idea that you're gonna build something great.
Speaker 4: So if you don't.
Speaker 13: Build something greater, if you don't have the infrastructure of building you know, a player, then it's your it's your fault because the eighteen year old doesn't know what to do. He's coming in from high school straight into the NBA. He doesn't know the landscape. So you have to teach him, teach him that.
Speaker 2: But Jordan, you know, takes a chance on Kwame and then Adam Morrison was the other end. He had been in college, and both of these guys turned out to be bussed. So, you know, Mike and a lot of great players, former players have a hard time, you know, assessing other players because their standards are so high.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's the standard.
Speaker 13: But it's also the delusion of what makes you great. Right, So someone like Jordan, he thinks he's great or he was great because of his fundamentals of the game.
Speaker 4: Right. He doesn't consider the raw athleticism that he had, the.
Speaker 13: Big hands, the forty seven inch vertical, the fast twitch book.
Speaker 4: He doesn't consider that.
Speaker 13: So he looks at, you know, what made him the greatest of all time, not what he came into the environment.
Speaker 4: You already had have a gaudy.
Speaker 13: Engine and then you tweaked it for you know, every train.
Speaker 4: He's by in Honda's and drafted Hondas.
Speaker 13: Thinking he could turn him into bagattis like no, right, So it's it's it's a little bit of the delusion that he came into the world with the Bagatti.
Speaker 2: Already we're talking to Gilbert Arena's co host of Gill's Arena podcast. But you at Jordan Washington Wizard's version.
Speaker 13: No, I played against that. I was the person that came in after he left.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, so did you play against him as a rookie?
Speaker 13: I played against them those first two years when he came Washington.
Speaker 2: Okay. And how was that.
Speaker 4: As a you know, I played.
Speaker 13: Him in I played against him in ninety nine, right when he retired at Jordan Camp. When I played against him in the NBA, it's Jordan's so you know, for the most part, you're admiring as a young fan, but you're also trying to show him that you belonged to So you know, I dropped forty one on him.
Speaker 2: Do you think he remembers that as well as you?
Speaker 13: Right? Yeah, you know, yeah he remembers it because you know, you know, I was a Jordan Camp kid, I was a counselor.
Speaker 4: So I was performing very well then too.
Speaker 13: So when I got to the NBA, I used to talk a bunch of trash of how I did him.
Speaker 4: He said, this is the big leads. Nothing changed.
Speaker 2: Do you ever have a situation where like Steven A did with Lebron James, where a reporter a broadcaster that you have an incident on the court.
Speaker 4: No, I understood media early.
Speaker 13: You know, I usually beat them to the punch, right, So if I had a bad game, I I I bring it up first. You know, I didn't let anyone hit me with you know, your four for seventeen performance. I was like, I know why you guys are here. I was four for seventeen, So let's just get right to it. So, you know, already lightened the room. But you know, this is uncharted territory. You know, no one ever played with their kid, no one ever had you know, this type of situation where you can have this blended gray area conversations.
Speaker 2: But what if you were in the league and your son was able to go into the NBA and you had that wealth of power that you said, hey, I'm going to navigate this, so we draft my son to be able to play with me at the end of my career.
Speaker 4: But it did the same thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've been listen, let's just be honest.
Speaker 4: Every parent would have did the same thing. Across the landscape.
Speaker 13: Most of you know, America, kids that go into the business is not ready. They're not ready to take over the business or get into the situations they get into. But you know, as a parent, as a father, as a mother, that is your job to prep your kid and get them ready for this level.
Speaker 4: So you know what lebron did, every parent would have.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: But if you if you rewind and.
Speaker 13: Go back to you know, the fifty fifth pick, who did they who was available? That's showing you right now they should have been that pick No.
Speaker 4: One right.
Speaker 13: So being nineteen years old, athletic for a point guard six too fast, right, strong, can shoot, can dribble.
Speaker 4: Right, that was the right pick.
Speaker 13: And you know people have to remember that Clutch said, if you pick him earlier, then we're trying.
Speaker 4: To we're going to go overseas.
Speaker 13: So there was teams interested before fifty fifth.
Speaker 2: How have you assessed Bronnie? Have you been critical?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm I'm I live in reality right wait? Yeah, true? But from the forty from the fortieth pick to the sixtieth pick, what am I expecting from these guys? Right?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 13: A bench filler, someone who's gonna go to the G League. They'll probably be be out of the league by two years. Right, Maybe they might get to the third year, but most of these guys are not getting to a second contract.
Speaker 4: So where Brownie is?
Speaker 13: I figured Okay, by the time his third year comes around, he would be usable in NBA, you know, come in, you know, last two minutes of the game, last three minutes.
Speaker 4: You know, he'd be one of those type of players.
Speaker 13: I did not expect him to be dominated in the G League right now.
Speaker 4: I thought he had to learn how to be aggressive. The bones of his game was already there, right, fast and jump.
Speaker 13: You can't teach that being aggressive in the shell shock of Curry Jamaran, Yeah, that was gonna get that gets to everyone, number one pick to the sixtieth pick, right.
Speaker 4: So I'm impressed with.
Speaker 13: How fast he actually turned his game around, and you can see the confidence in him.
Speaker 2: Who are the best offensive players in your career that you faced that.
Speaker 13: I faced, Uh, Cody Bryant, Tracy McGrady, Alan Iverson.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty good list.
Speaker 13: Yeah, uh, Kevin Durant, Lebron James, I can, I can even I can put Tim Duncan up there, Vince Carter, Right. So I came in Dwayne Wade like Carmelo Anthony right. So the the era I came in is basically, if you look at the top five shooting guards of all time, I actually played against all of.
Speaker 2: Them, Who's the best shooter of all time? Best shooter Steph Curry? Okay, not even close, not even close. How would you do in a shooting contest.
Speaker 13: If we if we had to shoot a hundred times, I'll probably win ten, ten to fifteen of those games.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's.
Speaker 13: When you when you're talking about that elite, the Reggie Miller's, the Birds, the Craig Hodges, the Clay's even you know Kevin Durant Kawhi is a great shooter. It's about who can empty their brain the longest. Meaning there's no thought, right, There's not oh did I leave the stove on? Is anybody watching?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 13: It's just it's just Homer Simpson. It's Homer Simpsons moment. Who can be Homer Simpson the longest?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 13: And I think that you know, Curry and Clay seems like they can sustain it longer than you know, everybody else I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: But it feels like there's a really wide margin, Gilbert between the greatest shooter of all time and then whoever is the second greatest shooter of all time?
Speaker 4: It's the longevity, and.
Speaker 2: But it's Ray Allen, like, Who's the second greatest shooter of all time, probably Clay.
Speaker 13: I'm sorry to say, I really believe it's Klay Thompson because the shots he's had to take, the valume, the microscope of it, the sixty points with you know, less than eleven dribbles. Right, those guys didn't do that. I mean, the shot ability wasn't in uh the era then. But just to see he's doing that with two Hall of Famers first ballot on his roster. If you remove those guys, I mean, Jesus Christ, Clay would have been first ballot. He still might be a first ballot, but you would be saying he is the greatest shooter of all time.
Speaker 4: It's just the ways he did it.
Speaker 13: Now, if I'm going to take clutch, I'm going with Reggie Miller, right, Reggie Miller's clutch shooting is above.
Speaker 4: You know those guys.
Speaker 13: Ray Allen is in between of a guy who was a I call it like a perfect perfect player shooter, where he was very athletic, he can shoot, he can playmake right, so he was he was like above Reggie and just the player themselves. And then Steph actually combined everyone into one. Someone who can shoot off the dribble, fast break, shooting, off the screen, shooting, his ability to just put them all in one.
Speaker 4: That's what Steph Curry is.
Speaker 2: How bothered are you that Richard Jefferson went thirteenth in the draft and you went thirty first.
Speaker 13: Oh, not gonna lie, ah every time I see his face on my ah because it's the one thing he can always bring up that actually gets to me, right, you know, me being an All Star All NBA getting paid more than him.
Speaker 4: Something about the draft where he was he was the fourth best player on our team.
Speaker 15: Like from his freshman year to his junior year, he didn't improve in nothing, right, eleven points freshman year, eleven points sophomore year, eleven points in junior year. But it really did open up my eye to understand what the next level is. Right, it's not about your college performance, it's about your upside. And then when you step back out of our team, he had the best upside.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 13: You know, you're talking about a six seven six eight small forward, shooting guard, today's power forward, today's center who can run, jump, defend, put the ball in the basket if need be. That's that's who you're gonna go with every single time he.
Speaker 2: Looks like he was a star player when you see him on TV. Yes, yes, Like he was.
Speaker 13: A very very good mixture of if you need me to dominate, I can, or I can be your second option, your third option.
Speaker 4: I can be your bridge player. Right. So he was like the perfect guy that.
Speaker 13: If you do not know what to pick, you're safe picking him because he can fill in a lot of void.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying watching him on ESPN, he the older he gets, the better he was like, he looks like he used to be a first team All NBA guy. No right where he.
Speaker 13: And he Yeah, he got the look and he's like, you know, if he said, you know, I used to have a you know, twenty five, you can believe it just by looking at it.
Speaker 2: He's Senator Jefferson is who he looks like. He looks like he could, you know, run for political office.
Speaker 13: Listen, we had the best personalities on that team.
Speaker 4: I mean, Luke Walton was with us.
Speaker 13: So we had some some guys that you know that really pushed a button and it's it's no there's no mistake that we're both in the same field.
Speaker 2: Hey, congrats on the success of the show. Always great to catch up with you. Thank you, Gil, thank you.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's a Gill's Arena podcast, and uh it's an underdog's hit show. They went over one million subscribers. Stream it Monday through Thursday on YouTube. Also available on Spotify, Apple, or wherever you get your podcast. He's great at telling stories, love them. Take a break, Last call for phone calls? What we learn? What's in store tomorrow?
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last Call for phone calls, What we learn? What's in store tomorrow. Todd mcshae, formerly of The Mothership, NFL Draft Analyst, on The Todd McShay Show, talking about what the Titans are going to do with the number one overall pick.
Speaker 16: It's not a coincidence that Russell Wilson was signed within hours, not days. Hours, that they're all there in South Florida for the workout for Kim Warton and for Miami's product. It means that they know that the Tennessee Titans aren't moving out of that number one spot.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't think they were. I think they're committed.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: You should be listening anyway to all offers. You're the Titans. It feels like the Will Levis era didn't last that long, but I guess you'll keep him as a backup quarterback to cam Ward. H Baker and Bozeman is back. That's Baker and Bozeman is back. Hi Baker, that's right.
Speaker 6: Not good morning, Danny. So best of the weekend is the start that my Yankees have gotten off to. I recognize it a darn long season, but this is an encouraging start. But my worst of the weekend is more important. My worst of the weekend is any Astros fan that could possibly be crying foul about the fairness of using torpedo bats by the Yankees. I don't know who I'm talking about, Fritzy, come.
Speaker 2: On, thank you, Baker? Yeah, you of all people shouldn't be complaining about what the Yankees are doing time.
Speaker 4: I just don't like the whole back thing for any team.
Speaker 13: This is very weird looking bat, and even with the diameter and it's within the specifications to something seems questionable there.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you really railed on the Astros when they were using a garbage can, stealing signs.
Speaker 4: There was definitely some stuff there that would make your raise an eyebrow.
Speaker 7: It was a proven cheating scandal that won them a World Series.
Speaker 8: Yes, still immediately bought a twenty seventeen shows Champions.
Speaker 2: Fresh in Milwaukee, Hi Fresh, Welcome back?
Speaker 14: What's up?
Speaker 10: VP?
Speaker 14: And Dan Nett? First of all, I'd like to give a shout out to Gilbert Arenas with one of the greatest nicknames ever, Agent zero. But the question is, even though we know he brought him small gun with big bullets to the locker room, does Gilbert have a chance to go to the Hall of Fame. We know he was a great scorer.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I think he was a three time All Star. He could have been. He could have been great, all time great because he could score. He's score on anybody. Yeah, Mark, I.
Speaker 8: Think for Gilbert, if you and me maybe five or six All Star Games, he'd have a much better better chance.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Dereck Rose is different. He's got three All Star Games, but he's got an MVP. If you had an MVP, it'd be different.
Speaker 2: And he got injured, got injured as well. Dave in Bridgeport, Hi Dave, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 17: First time a long time, five six, one sixty and things that are being banned by the NFL.
Speaker 4: It's start.
Speaker 17: Some of them started back in the eight two thousands. I believe it was Loron lanjury for the Redskins. He did the aeropol and shot it in the air, and they thought that was defaming and banned them and gave him a fifteen yard personal file.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't know about this CD LAMB celebration and that it had gang overtones undertones, but they have outlawed that this day in sports history, Paul.
Speaker 7: Got a couple for you. Nineteen o six, the International Athletic Association became the NCAA.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a run.
Speaker 7: Nineteen thirty one, New Rockney of Notre Dame died in a plane crash in Kansas. Nineteen sixty eight. Saddle chose the nickname Pilots for the new A baseball franchise. Martina Hengis at sixteen, number one player of the world, youngest ever in ninety seven and in nineteen ninety eight. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Arizona Diamondbacks debuted in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety eight, Milwaukee became the first team since the beginning of the American League in nineteen oh one just switch leagues, the Brewers. They went to the National League after that. I remember watching this fight Muhammad Ali suffered a broken jaw split decision, lost to Ken Norton twelve rounds in nineteen seventy three. Final results of the Pole Question Seaton O Connor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a few of them. Let's see the most recent. The NFL wants to change the tush push because of jealousy. That's at sixty percent of the vote. Player safety just a paltry six percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, year, there's safety.
Speaker 3: I don't even know if paultry is the right word there, but it seemed to.
Speaker 2: Fit right now.
Speaker 3: The final four is it's the best four teams. Not as much disappointing. Only twenty three percent of the audience find it disappointment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like there's not enough madness or chaos there that we've come to expect. And I get it, but I do think this is start of the start of a pattern where these big time schools are going to pick off players to prevent the mid majors from having these Cinderella stories. It's really storious.
Speaker 3: And the thing that's got toied up in arms today. Torpedo bets they look illegal, should be illegal, or anyone can use them?
Speaker 2: No big deal?
Speaker 3: Right now, anyone can use them. No big deal is up to seventy percent of the audience.
Speaker 4: That Todd ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Jim pass Jim Jeff Passon of the Mothership, I almost said Jim Paxson, who went to the University of Dayton, he might even have an opinion on this. Jeff Passing from the Mothership will stop by, and the popular host with march madness, Adam Lefko will join us as well. Let's go around the room, Todd, what did you learn today?
Speaker 13: Gilbertarina says there were twenty two misscalls in the two thousand and one national title game, lost to Duke.
Speaker 4: But who's going Seaton?
Speaker 2: What did you learn today?
Speaker 3: Richard Jefferson has something he can get under Gilbert Arenas's skin.
Speaker 2: Yes, Marvin, what did you learn today?
Speaker 8: Gilbert said, Jordan's drafted Honda's but expected bugattis Paul?
Speaker 2: What did you learn? Shire still has his jumper? Had What did I learn?
Speaker 13: John Shire believes you have to boost a player's confidence, but sometimes you got to hit him with the truth, right between the.
Speaker 2: Eyes, hit him with the hind Have a great day, everybody. We look forward to doing this tomorrow for Fritzie Seat and Marv Paula yours truly. We'll talk to you on Tuesday.