Speaker 1: The Best Bits of the Week with Morgan Part one behind a scene with a member of the show.
Speaker 2: What's Up, Everybody Happy? Best Bits Weekend? I am joined by Mike d via Zoom.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Crazy.
Speaker 2: It's been a busy week, so whatever there's a crazy one, we typically link up on Zoom for less stress on all of us, and that's what this weekend is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels different doing it in this setting. I got I feel more comfortable here because I'm in my home studio setting where I have like my movie podcast setup, and it just feels like totally different vibe.
Speaker 2: It's true. But you know, the bonus of doing Zoom is I do have video, although I've never done anything with it because like Mike' seen me right now too, where I'm just like at my worst, so I'm like I am, there's no makeup, We're just rolling, all right. We do have some fun best bits this week from the show. We've got the dyslexia test that went down, Lunchbox has the Kindness Challenge happening for two weeks. Doctor Lorie v came on to evaluate Amy's Madame Alexander Dolls Eddie made his son cry. We did some reviews of things that we have in our lives currently. Barbara Corkran also came on and gave advice to Amy and Eddie and lunchbox s geeked out because shark tank and we also had a thousand horses on. So like a lot there. It's always crazy, Mike. When I look back at our show from the week, I'm like, we did a lot.
Speaker 1: It's always like the weird things too that get me, Like all the interview stuff sounds normal, and then it's like Eddie making his kid cry, trying to be nice.
Speaker 2: I really like to throw people off, you know. All right, So I do have some things to talk with you about. I want to talk about our dumbest injuries ever. And you may have a few of them, or you may have none. But the reason I'm bringing this up is because I I was shredding cheese the other day and apparently I'm like in the Stone Ages because I was using a handheld shredder when there's so much more technology now there is. Yeah, I'll tell you, but like you can see my finger right now. I'd posted a picture of it, but like I destroyed, I shred it. There was like a piece of my finger, like hanging on by a thread. Like I straight up shredded my thumb.
Speaker 1: It was like a metal one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a metal like old school like kind of mandolin looking thing. And I felt so dumb, Mike, like I did that. I was like, I knew what I was doing and I just shred my finger for no apparent reason other than to cause myself pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those things can cause some damage. You don't really think about.
Speaker 2: It, no, but you know, thankfully listeners like sit me there, like, oh, yeah, you just need this little crank thing which I ordered. It just arrived at my house, this little like you stuffed the cheese in and it just cranks. It's super easy. I'm like, why couldn't anybody have told me about before this happened? So my dumbest injury, do you have something that comes to mind for you?
Speaker 1: I mean all of mine are probably when I was a kid, I got hurt so much that my mom just like, just keep him out of trouble because he's good to get injured. But I think my dumbest one was probably in first grade where I walked backwards for no apparent reason and then I tripped over a chair and I landed like on the concrete edge of a doorway.
Speaker 2: No, put my.
Speaker 1: Head open, and all I remember is falling down on the ground and then I like, I've kind of felt something on the back of my head and I touched it, and then my entire hand was covered in blood.
Speaker 2: No, was it like super deep?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it was deep that I had to go to the nurse's office. They wrapped me up in like this giant bandage, and then my mom had to take me to the hospital to get stitches.
Speaker 2: Oh how many stitches did you have?
Speaker 1: I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: Is it so like there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like the entire back of my head is all messed up. Because that was one of any injuries I had as a kid. There's another time I was just like standing on this green like I don't know, like power thing in the trailer park, and I fell off of it. It also landed on concrete and cracked my head up And didn't have to get stitches that time. But like, if you just look at the back of my head, if I ever have it like cut shorter, you can just see all these marks because of all the times I fell as a kid.
Speaker 2: What was happening to you that you kept repeatedly falling backwards on the cart.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty adventurous kid, like I always got into things. I was just very curious, so I would jump on things, I would get into things, and I would always injure myself. The other dome one I have is one that I still have on my hand is whenever I was really inspired by watching Jackass, so I would want to do everything like Johnny Knoxville and STEVEO. So my cousin and I would ride skateboards, and then I got this idea to go down this giant hill on a skateboard, but i'd like laid down on the skateboard. So then as I'm going like top speed, like way too fast to be on a skateboard, I was wearing a sweater and the sweater got caught in the wheel.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, it just like.
Speaker 1: Started twisting around and then my hand just all the way down the pavement was just scraping and it left like this huge scar on my hand. It was just totally shredded up and bloody. And that was the other one I got. So it's really me doing dumb things as a kid, where all my injuries probably led me to the point of not doing dumb things as an adult.
Speaker 2: That's fair. You're at least learning from yours, but you have none as an adult. Like these are great ones as a kid because like you're learning, but you have none as an adult.
Speaker 1: It's probably like kind of like what you had of like things in the kitchen. It's usually like accidentally stabbing myself either like trying to take the pit out of the avocado or trying like to cut something open with a knife. And I'll just kind of like the quick stab the.
Speaker 2: Other day avocados.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty cautious. Whenever I turned thirty, I was like, Okay, I'm going to retire from skateboarding because I don't want to have any dumb injuries.
Speaker 2: It's so true, like when you're talking about yours, Like just a few came more came to mind. This is just top of mine because I obviously did this this week, but I broke my tailboard my tailbone skate roller skating. First five minutes, I was holding onto the back of a golf cart like I was standing up and we hit a bump and I just go flying backwards and I had scrapes from head to toe all the way on my front side. And then I fell off of a bike when there was a tornado like right behind me, and I was like, I kinda go really.
Speaker 1: Fast and you're trying to take the tornado on your bike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the tornadoes are like we knew there was bad weather, and I was with my dad and my sister. We knew there was bad weather coming. But the tornado dropped really quickly. And you know it's Kansas because you're kind of used to tornadoes at that point, but it was so close to us that the sirens were going off, and so I'm like pedaling, you know, my little legs are going as fast as they can, and I hit this huge like sand and just go flying. My dad had to carry me home, and my sister had to like ride her bike and bring my bike home, and we like barely made it before like the tornado came, like all the wind came by. Yeah, you're welcome, great kids. The story and then gosh, there's so many other Oh a boy, when I was sitting on a swing, you remember the tether balls that were like attached to a pole. For some reason, he took the ball, the tether ball off of the pole and I was sitting on a swing and I assume he was florting with me. This is when I was in like fourth grade and I'm just sitting there swinging and he throws it at me and I like put my hand up to like block it from hitting my face. Broke my middle finger. Ooh, so really dumb things have happened to me. Also, does that? Does that help? Does I give some sympathy for yours?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ex wor now is the thirty year old I'm still doing them and you've learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's the worst thing though, when you do something to react to something and then you hurt yourself. Like I always think about it when it where like I always comes back to knives. But when I like drop a knife and I think I want to grab it so it doesn't hit you, No, I probably shouldn't let that thing go.
Speaker 2: Like we're not we're not superheroes. We can't actually do that stuff. Have you ever actually grabbed a knife when you've dropped it?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I dropped knives a lot. And the other weird thing about.
Speaker 2: Me is like I have you never lost a toe?
Speaker 1: No? O. I have a weird thing about injuring my feet. So anytime I drop a knife for anything that could possibly hit my feet, I like immediately have like this quick reflex of like moving moving so they are out of the way.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Do you have like a toe injury phobia?
Speaker 1: Well, if we're gonna get into the real root of it is. Growing up, I had like terrible feet, Like I would get ingrown toenails a lot, and I go to the potiatrists like several times to get them removed. And if you've never had an ingrown tone, now they are extremely painful and they bleed a lot, and if somebody steps on them, it is going to be You'll feel the immediate pain because it feels like somebody is stabbing your foot, but then your toe will also gush blood. So I remember going to concerts with ingrown toenails and having them stepped on and by the end of the night, my white socks were completely covered in blood. So ever since then, yeah, it was pretty extreme. I don't I think every single one of my toes at one point was ingrown, so it had to go get them removed. And essentially it's them like clipping the sides of your toenails, and it's extremely painful. They have to put your toe under and.
Speaker 2: Ever since under anesthesia, just like the one toe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they get like this thing. I don't know what was in the syringe, but they stabbed my toe with it, inserted that and then I could feel nothing as they were operating on it. One time though, my big toe did not want to go down, so they put whatever that stuff was in my toe and then they started working on and I could still feel it and they saw me in pain. They were like, do you still feel this? I was like yeah, and they're like, okay, let's give you some more. So ever since then, I have a fear of getting ingrown toenails again, and a fear of just anything touching my toes.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that's a very reasonable fear that you have after what you went through. Wow, sounds really painful. Have you had any again since you were a kid.
Speaker 1: No, I've been a lot better at taking care of my feet, aside from the amount of miles that I run. They don't they just don't look good. You just don't want to see my feet.
Speaker 2: Wait, but I feel like that's a genetic thing, right Like when you were a kid, it had to be like a genetic thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my parents also have their feet I got from them.
Speaker 2: But like that, so you say, like taking care of your feet, is there things you can do to like avoid it?
Speaker 1: Now, Well, I don't know how true it is, but apparently you get them if you like cut your toenails like too close down or you cut them like crooked. It has to do with that, just how you cut your toenails. So very cautious about it.
Speaker 2: Now, Well now I'm scared to cut my toenails.
Speaker 1: I'm still Yeah, I let them too longest because I don't want to clip them.
Speaker 2: Thank you for unlocking a new fear in me that came from yours. Okay, now I want to talk about the last time you got like seriously humbled. And the reason I want to bring this up is because I took a pilates class for like the first time. Basically I'd gone like a few other times before me. I think I deleted it from my brain and I went this time.
Speaker 1: Mike.
Speaker 2: I thought I was in really good shape, Like I really thought, Hey, I work out all the time. It was fine. I did that pilates class. I wanted to die. I was like drenched into everybody else around me is like their little ballerinas, and I was like the little Krimlin that couldn't get off the reformer, and I was very humbled, you know, like cool, got it. I am not fit or in shape, no dude, So once that time, you were like humbled maybe in that way, maybe another way, I think.
Speaker 1: Kind of in that same way where maybe both experiencing that now is like I don't really feel a whole lot older, and I feel like in my physical health, I'm probably the best and the strongest I've been, just because I've just prioritized it for so long now. But I think maybe in the last year, I've kind of realized that I am in my thirties. And I think the other it was like maybe a few weeks ago when I was out for a run and there was like this group of probably college age, like across country group, and I tried to keep up with them, and they were going so fast that I couldn't keep up with them. And that was when I realized, like, Okay, I can run pretty good, but I'm also running pretty good for my age, because they's just something different about somebody in their twenties running that I shouldn't try to compete with them, and I do get competitive when I'm like quietly competitive when I go and run, so I try to, like, you know, outpace people. But there was nothing happening there, Like they're just elite and they're young.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's tough, man. There's nothing like being humbled about how old you are, like especially when you There's times that I've walked in somewhere and it'll be like a young barista and like, what would you like, ma'am? And I know they're probably being nice, but like that, man, man, it sticks them to my heart.
Speaker 1: I feel like the mam probably hurts worse than the.
Speaker 2: SIRR, maybe because I don't know, Like I feel like I've said sir more often, even to like other people. I mean, I say ma'am and sir too. Like if I'm trying to get somebody's attention, like a server or whatever, and I'm trying to be nice, I'm like, ma'am, ma'am. So like, I don't know why I'm so offended by it, but for whatever reason, when like a young person says ma'am to me, I'm like, oh, stab me in the heart. Yeah, But you don't feel that way with sir.
Speaker 1: Not as bad. I remember like the first time I got called sir, and it felt a little bit weird because in my head I was like, maybe like in my twenty like mid twenties, I'm like, I'm not a serve by any means, like I still watch cartoons. Don't call me sir. But now I feel it's like, yeah, it's kids, maybe ten years younger than I am, who called me sarah. I'm like, yeah, that probably makes sense now, even though I don't want it to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe we have to like hit a certain point where like, yeah, respect, I am a man, sir. Maybe it's just like we're in that special sweet spot where we're like not quite yet. Please.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, once you know your credit score, you're probably a surah or a man.
Speaker 2: That's probably true. I think we both are. You know, we're at that stage, Mike. But I am sorry that you couldn't keep up with a cross country team, although you're clearly keeping up like in running in general, because you do those runs and I couldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, like you were crushing it. What was your one recently? I feel like you hit a really high mileage in like the last six months.
Speaker 1: I think it was. My total mileage for twenty twenty three was like, I don't I don't even remember it now because I didn't set out to do it. It was probably in the thousands or something that I don't even remember it wild, but it wasn't something I set out to do. It was just once I looked at the number from the end of the year, I was like, it was just impressed with myself, Like I don't even know that I put that many miles on my car and I ran that much.
Speaker 2: Hey, well, you know what. You may be hard on your feet, but your feet are getting you through a lot of miles, so I think there's some pretty good feet. All Right, we're gonna take a quick break and then I got some more stuff to talk to you about. All right, all right, Mike, I need to admit something that is so embarrassing. But it was very like not intentionally embarrassing. Okay, where's this speaking of feet, I had packed a bag. So you and I both do this after work. We typically see each other at Planet Fitness. We typically go work out from work because it's better than like coming home and you get tired and you don't want to go work out. So I had packed a bag to go to Pilates after work. And as I'm leaving and I like changed into my workout clothes at work, I realized I didn't pack proper shoes to go with my workout outfit. I had booties on from work, and I couldn't put the booties on with the workout out of it. And I'm like, Okay, I could either just like run home and like cut my losses, or I could just leave my socks on and walk barefoot to my car and into the Plate studio in my socks. And that is exactly what I did. And it reminded me of the trend. How there's people out there that are doing like the whole barefoot walking and don't wear shoes anymore. And Mike, I got so many stairs, like in the five minutes, not in our parking garage, there's nobody's really in there, but in the five minutes that I parked my car and walked into the Piloti studio, all the people that were out having lunch like thought I had lost my mind. I'm just like trotting along like in my little sock east and I'm like, Okay, this feels weird, but like I do feel like it was kind of a grounding experience and I now understand what that means, where like they feel more connected to the earth and their surroundings by like not wearing shoes. I did. Although I felt very uncomfortable and people were one hundred percent judging me, I did feel like really good about myself, Like I had a little pep in my step even though I didn't have but whear, and.
Speaker 1: You didn't step on anything sharp or hurt your.
Speaker 2: Feet, no, and maybe help because I had my socks on. I didn't go like full, you know, barefoot walking. I had my socks on, but I you know, I was good, and I was like I could do this not all the time. I'm way too awkward for that. Like if people judge me, I'd be like, oh, I'm sorry, I know I'm weird, but I do understand now why this is a trend and why people do it. Like it did feel.
Speaker 1: Grounding, Yeah, I don't. I wouldn't feel as embarrassed as far as the people looking at me. I guess I would be more concerned and paranoid of my fear of having something wrong with my feet that I would step on something. And it just feels like, of all the things that people throw out, you're gonna either step in something gross or step on a nail or something.
Speaker 2: That's so true. And I was in a busy parking lot. I was on a busy sidewalk. I didn't step on anything. Maybe it's because it's a clean area. I don't know. Yeah, I'm also like, isn't it too what is the shot that you have to get when you step on like a nail atnis? Yeah, and isn't that really brutal?
Speaker 1: I yeah, I think that the shot itself is painful too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that would be alone of reason for me not to do this. But I just have to give people props because I do understand it now. And I felt good, like I do feel like I had a little pep in my stuff, even though I looked like a crazy lady. So what trend? Maybe have you tried recently?
Speaker 1: Well, before we get to that, that just reminded me of another injury I have with my foot. In my trailer, I stepped on a nail.
Speaker 2: No you didn't.
Speaker 1: It's because we had this whole couch that we shouldn't have gotten rid of. But I don't know. We either got it for free or we just it was our only couch and it was literally falling apart, so there was all these like metal things sticking out of it. I even have like a scar on my leg from the time it like sliced me when I sat down.
Speaker 2: You got like a Harry Potter scar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do have a Harry Potter scar, like in the inside of my knee. But the other time is it had like these little wood panelings on like the armress part of it, that were like these little squiggly designed things, and they fell off, and I guess I didn't see it fall off, so I stepped like right on it, and it had a nail, and I just have the image of me screaming in pain, and then I think it was either my dad or my mom pulling it out of my foot.
Speaker 2: No, did you have to get the tennis shot?
Speaker 1: I don't think I did. I was probably like four or five years old, so I don't know. If I really don't know if I got the tennis shot, probably not.
Speaker 2: I wasn't say because I got like a young kid get that shot. I can only imagine, Oh my gosh, Mike. Okay, well, I'm really glad your bad foot injury days are behind you. You have a lot, you got a lot of foot trauma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything bad that happened between for me physically was all like before the age of ten.
Speaker 2: So maybe you shouldn't try the grounding. Yeah, it's not for you.
Speaker 1: I don't try the trends that result in any kind of injury.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair, but maybe you tried like another trend. Is there any trends that you can think of where you're like, I saw it, and you're like, I'm gonna give that one a try.
Speaker 1: I think I'm just always so skeptical of every single trend, especially with the like the rise of trends and TikTok that are all like, do you do this and it makes you feel better? I just don't believe them, and if unless they've been around for a very long time, I'm always skeptical of any kind of trend because I feel like it's somebody just starting something for the stake of putting something on their profile. They're like, hey, this person says you try this, and then they go viral for it, and it's so weird and bizarre that yeah, it gets picked up an article. So I see a trend and I'm like, nah, I'm not gonna do it, not.
Speaker 2: For me, So no trends for you. You're and you're on TikTok a lot, like I feel like you're on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I really don't see those all that often like people doing those types of trends. It's usually like when I'm looking for like research for the show, where it's like everybody's doing this trend and it's always something.
Speaker 2: Ridiculous that is true. So what is your like for you page look like on Instagram or TikTok.
Speaker 1: I think right now it is. I've been getting a lot of running videos lately. I always get like the people getting hurt tiktoks. I think the last one I saw it's always tough when it's somebody older. The last one I saw it was like a grandma getting on her first boat. I think it was just the boat she's like.
Speaker 2: When she fell. Yeah, okay, wait, so does this mean you've also seen I think there's like a subway in Australia or it's a train, I'm not sure, but there's like a just like that Lady video, there's this huge gap in between the platform and where it is, and there's like multiple videos of people falling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you seen that? I have seen that. One.
Speaker 2: Those are crazy that you want to talk about, like anxiety if I felt down that I would never recover. Okay, that's fun, that's funny.
Speaker 1: I see a lot of fail videos. I see a lot of Internet theory videos of like not so much conspiracy theories, but just like these weird like UFO type theories. I get a lot of those, obviously a lot of movie stuff, and then I get a lot of just like indie TikTok artists.
Speaker 2: Okay, who's your favorite indie TikTok artist right now?
Speaker 1: The one that I'm super into right now that I discovered in like literally the last week, but I think they might be my new favorite artist of the year is this. It's a solo artist, but it's called slow Joy, and it's like a very almost like nineties rock inspired, just like kind of emo ish a little bit. And it's like this Mexican dude from California, so he kind of like as like a similar background as me. But it sound is just like refreshing in a way but also feels familiar. So I think I'm kind of into this genre of artists that's like one person, but they give themselves like a name that's like that sounds like a band, same way, like Dashboard Confessional. Really just one person. Because I don't know, that's just always what I've been drawn to. And whenever I heard this artist, I'm like, this could probably be my favorite artist of the year.
Speaker 2: And they're called slow Joy m hm, do I get there?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay? All right, well Indie and it indeed, why did I say Indians at Indy? I am now putting together? You know when people say like you're coded something, you're Jackass coded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the movie.
Speaker 2: Not like the name, like the TV show, the movie, all of that, Like.
Speaker 1: That's you that. Yeah, I've always loved it. For some reason. I don't like the thing is I don't like getting hurt myself, but seeing other people get hurt as long as they're okay, it's hilarious to me.
Speaker 2: That's probably because you had a lot of crazy injuries when you're a kid and you're like, yeah, I'm good now, but like I could put you through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like so inspired by that early in my you know, watching Jackass, like I wanted to do those types of things, like if YouTube would have been more prominent when I was younger, Like I definitely would have been doing that all the time.
Speaker 2: That's so funny and now just everything aligns. I just finally put that together that that's your code. Any other updates going on in your life? Like, is there anything new since the last time you've been on here and you want to talk about or share?
Speaker 1: I got a tattoo?
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: Is it the Spider Man tast It is a Spider Man tattoo?
Speaker 2: It happened, yeah, okay, okay, how do you feel? Do you love it?
Speaker 1: I love it. It's still in the healing process right now. So I got it about a week ago and it takes two weeks to fully heal. And it was one of those things that I've been wanting to do for a long time. In my last I only this only my second tattoo, the last one I got in twenty seventeen, so after I got that one, which is on the inside of my arm, and it's my favorite band's logo, Lemeria. The thing you after you get a tattoo is you realize how permanent it is. And I had like this weird feeling of like, oh man, this is on me forever. I got lucky because I'm glad this is something that I'm never gonna not enjoy and never going to not appreciate what it represents. But it made me be very cautious of getting my next one, because I thought, if I don't like something, like, there's really no taking it off. You can have the tattoo removable surgery, but it's extremely painful and more expensive than the tattoo. So after that, I was really just I put a lot of thought into what I wanted to get, So it took me all these years to finally decide on something, and then it was also me thinking more about it of I feel like people have always approached tattoos is you have to get something with so much meaning and it has to represent something, which I think is important. But I think it also has to look cool, and it can also be dumb and just look cool for the sake of looking cool, because really, when you think about it, a tattoo is kind of a dumb process. Like you're gonna get something that's on your skin forever. It shouldn't have that much wisdom behind it. You should just be able if you want to go get a tattoo, go get a tattoo because it's fun to do. And so once I was like, Okay, I'm gonna have something that will have some meaning, but also that I'm not really going to care about what anybody thinks. And I think that's the thing I struggled with is because I've been in the nerdy stuff for a long time. It is just who I am, and it really wasn't until twenty twenty where I feel like it became a little bit more normal to be nerdy, whenever we were all locked down and people got back into their nerdy hobbies like Pokemon cards started to pop off again and people were just able to enjoy it more freely. That that was the time period I thought, well, there are other people out there who were just like me, grew up like I did, and they are into these things. They're into Pokemon, they're into comic books, they're into superheroes, and I don't really have to be ashamed about it anymore. And a Marvel tattoo was something that I always wanted because it's been my favorite thing forever. And Spider Man was the superhero that I first attached myself to because I felt like he was the one character that anybody could be Spider Man because you just see a guy in a mask. He's not black, white, Mexican or anything. He's just Spider Man. So I think that was always important for me as a kid, because we didn't really have that representation of there's a Mexican superhero, but behind the mask, you really don't know who it is. And it was me realizing that I could embrace that and get it because it's something that I've loved for so long that I don't really care how anybody else is going to interpret it. They could call me a nerd, they could call me a loser, but it is something I've always wanted, and now that it's on me, I love it and I think once it's fully healed, I can't wait to show it off and post pictures about it, because right now it doesn't like look well quality. It takes those two weeks for it to get all like the peeling and scabbing off, and then if I posted it now, pe'd be like, oh, it looks terrible. You should get your money back.
Speaker 2: No, I bet it still looks awesome. And if you're excited about it. You're right, that's all that matters, and you like are glowing talking about this tattoo right now, like you're so excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was pretty painful at least for Actually, I've kind of forgot how bad it hurts on like the first few like maybe the first ten minutes, and the entire thingk the entire thing took four and a half hours, So those first ten minutes I was like, oh man, this really feels like some just stabbing you in the arm. And then after a while you just forget about it and it just becomes more of a waiting game because I was just laying on the table for four and a half hours. That it wasn't even more so the pain in my arm, because I kind of forgot about that, but it was just like getting used to just sitting there for that long and you can't really do anything because you can't move this arm. You can't really do anything with the other arm because you're laying down on it. So I was just staring at a clock literally for four and a half hours.
Speaker 2: Wait, so do you like And I don't know because I don't have any tattoos, So this maybe a dumb question, But do would it make sense to like have a few drinks or like, you know, whatever your vice is before you go in, Like does that make it better or does it make it worse?
Speaker 1: I feel like it would make it worse. And I know there's kind of that thing that people say about, like, oh, you go get tattoos drunk, like that was apparently a thing at some point. I really don't see how you could because you think of a tattoo parlor being like kind of a seedy place or like having like this weird edge to it. But when I was there, I realized this is just a regular place of business. This feels like a doctor's office. Everybody here here is totally chill. If somebody came in here drunk or totally messed up, I don't think they would, you know, even work on them. And it's such a professional setting and they're so particular about like cleanliness and making sure everything's just by the book that I think it would probably hurt you if you went in trying to get a tattoo drunk to compensate for the fear of the pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that makes sense, And like I said, I have zero shirt, so I'm leaning on you here. What about like during that, can you watch stuff on your phone? Can you like listen to music? Or are you just like in silence, not able to move.
Speaker 1: I think it reached a point where it kind of felt a little bit senterrapeutic to me. And I had brought headphones with me so I could listen to music or listen to a podcast, or I was going to read, but I kind of just allowed myself just to lay there and it was really like the one time in that week that I just got to do nothing, So I was like, you know what, I'm going to enjoy this. I think the hardest part was just literally looking at the time as it went down. It was kind of like being on a treadmill where you're just so focused on the time. But I kind of wish I would have maybe watched a movie or something. But I think looking back on it, I'll probably remember it more because I was paying attention to all the other people getting tattoos, and I just allowed myself to be in the moment.
Speaker 2: This is your version of R and R. You ain't got like your tattoo you wanted exactly. Okay, I'm so glad I got that update. I knew there was something there was I I had, like Mike updates, and I just wasn't sure because I saw you post from a tattoo parlor. But I was like, did he do it? I don't know because you didn't post a picture. It not makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it definitely makes me want to get more now that I'm I'm just like a fan of the process now now and I realized that it's not that big a deal to get something, So I'll probably get another one at least in a year.
Speaker 2: All Right, Mike the tattoo Guy, you're not movie Mike anymore. You're Mike the tattoo guy too. Just a new thing touch to your name. Okay, we're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back. I couldn't go a Best Bits part one without asking you some type of movie thing. But I was thinking about this the other day, Mike. So I was choosing things to watch, and is there a certain actor or actress that you will watch anything that they're in just because of that actor actress, Like it is a matter of the genre or anything. You're just always gonna watch it because they're in it.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, I have a lot of those, Okay, give them to me. I think at the top of the list is Ryan Gosling. I feel like he has been considertent now for over a decade, and I also feel like he takes on movies that aren't always the same thing. So I feel like, not only am I going to get a good movie, but I'm also probably gonna watch something that I haven't seen before, and he kind of surprises me too. I think the one I was most skeptical about was whenever he got cast in Barbie. I was like dusting in a Barbie movie. But once we saw the trailer, once we actually saw the movie, I was like, Oh, that totally makes sense. Why did I ever doubt him. But he's also going to be in a new movie called The fall Guy coming out later this year that I'm also excited about, and it's like him playing a stud performer again. It's like something that I really haven't seen before, even though it is a remake. But I always feel like he is just money when it comes to watching something that's going to be a really fun time in theaters.
Speaker 2: Did you watch the one with him on it that was on Netflix? I think Chris Evans was also in it.
Speaker 1: The gray Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that a new role I felt like for him and it was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't really say a whole lot in that movie. He also does action really well, which is like something that's pretty rare for an actor who can also do like a high stakes drama to be able to also be an action star. So I think, yeah, some of the best action movies in the last ten years. One of my favorite movies of his is a movie called Drive where he plays a getaway driver, and for the longest time that was like my favorite movie. So I think it was that movie in particular that made him one of those actors that, no matter what he's going to be in, I'm gonna watch it.
Speaker 2: That's so true. And I think all he did was solidify that with Ken like being kN I mean, he just was like, Yeah, I'm just gonna sink all of y'all. Okay, who else? Is there anybody else on that list?
Speaker 1: For a while, it was Shilah buff But I feel like he has kind of fallen off out of that tier. There was a period where he was just putting out consistently good movies, and now after a string of he also changed a lot as a person, and so he was the like my number one slot for a long time just because I was a big fan of him. It's like back in the Disney Channel days, but it's probably following out of that slot. But along those same lines of I mean they've worked together a lot too. Is Emma Stone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a great actress.
Speaker 1: Anything she is in is either gonna be funny, or it's gonna be weird, or it's gonna make me cry.
Speaker 2: Hers I feel like, are always come out of nowhere, like they're kind of zingers that kind of like throw me where. I'm like, I didn't expect to like it as much as I was going to do. You get that vibe with.
Speaker 1: Her stuff, Oh definitely. And she's also like at a point now she's almost on like that Leonardo DiCaprio level. Of any movie she does, she's probably doing good because it's gonna get her Oscar nomination. Like she's just that good now mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Because like I think of Easy A like that was such a like just random movie but it's so funny for no reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean she was dominating like the teen comedy back when she first started, she was also like in super.
Speaker 2: Bad mm hmmm, so good. And I what there was something else that she was in that was a comedy movie and now I can't remember it totally lost me. But that was a good one. Okay, any others I can tell you mine too, because you may have opinions on the ones I choose some of yours. So like a newer one for me is Brie Larson. I am obsessed with her, especially like I liked her and Captain Marvel and obviously she's one of my favorite superheroes. But I really enjoyed the TV show that she just did on Apple TV plus. Did you watch that one? By chance?
Speaker 1: I've seen it on there for the longest time, and I've been meaning to watch it, but I still haven't.
Speaker 2: And now now, of course the titles escaping me. But it was so good that it may me be like now that TV show made me want to now again watch everything Brie Larson. Is it? Like I was already kind of there because of the Marvel stuff, but now after that TV show, like kind of like m Stone like Solidify or Ryan Goslina's kid, like that solidified it for me. Lessons in Chemistry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so good. So she's like a newer one for me. What do you think of her?
Speaker 1: I like her a lot too, definitely from her Captain Marvel role. But I feel like in the last few years she's done just like really big blockbusters now and she's kind of become that name of like on level with like other actions starts because of Captain Marvel, Like she was in the Fast X movie and it's like, oh yeah, b really large and than this two, and it makes sense.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize she was in that. I'll be honest. The last Fast of Yours movie I saw it was on your birthday.
Speaker 1: I just still watch all of them. They've gotten considerably terrible more terrible since now Allen, but there's just something about those movies that I just still go back to them time and time again.
Speaker 2: They're just like, you're guilty pleasure, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because they're just going to keep making them forever until it's been Diesel retires and they're just gonna get more ridiculous. So they're still funding me.
Speaker 2: That's fair. You have like a nostalgia part. I assumed to that too. The other two that I have, I've got Ryan Reynolds the other Ryan. I just like his comedic timing. I mean, he nails it every time, and he's not somebody who's like I guess you could say it a lot. He did do rom comms and he was really good at those, but I feel like comedy is really where he sticks out. He's done action, but he's still comedic in those roles. I just really love him as like a comedic actor so much. If it's if he's there, I'm gonna watch it because I know I'm gonna laugh. Yeah, he's a big pick for.
Speaker 1: Me, and he kind of took a year off last year. I don't think you put out a single movie. But this year he's coming in strong with Deadpool and Wolverine and also that kid's.
Speaker 2: Movie If, which both are gonna be awesome. I just I have hope because it's Ryan Reynolds, right, Him is Deadpool. I don't know if he feels this way, but like him is Deadpool is just like Chef's Kiss.
Speaker 1: I think like that is the most quintessential role, Like everybody has like their one role that they were meant to play, Like that is definitely it for him, and I think he was kind of in that point of his career where he was already super famous, already well established, but it was almost him playing Deadpool took him to another level because it gave him like that one golden role that people would just Ryan Reynolds, He's Deadpool. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like too, like they're one and the same, because even when he does like advertisements or posted on social media, I'm like, that's Deadpool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think sometimes he has it to a fault though, because it gets a little bit if you're not a super fan of him, it gets a little bit tiring to see him be the same in every single movie. So it works. It was abandoned because that's what people expect from men, and if you love it, great, But sometimes for me, I do enjoy him, but every now and then, I'm like, dude doing something a little bit different.
Speaker 2: I feel like the most variety that I've seen for Ryan Reynolds was like when he was in The Proposal. That's the only time where I really haven't seen him be like super comedic. There's still comedic parts, but Sandra Bullock really took that over that movie, you know, and he was more like the serious one.
Speaker 1: I think the movie for me where I kind of wanted to see a different side of him. I thought the movie is still fun. It was that free guy movie, and they're gonna make another one. But I felt like that was just being him being him, and I was like, I need a little something different here. It just feels like I'm watching Deadpool again in a video game.
Speaker 2: See. That's why I loved him, because I'm so up fine riddles, you got your ride, I got mine. That's how that works exactly. But and one will win and singing what's gonna win in comedy. The other one I have was Gerald, which is like a kind of out of left field. But I'm never gonna say this, right, Gerald Butler so interesting. I love him, and I think it's because, like, ps, I love you white House Down. Like I think this White House Down that he was in, there was a few House Down things movies, a lot of films, right like, and I really love like some some act movies with him, and I just love his accent, like it gets me every time.
Speaker 1: I think. I was just watching I think it's called Geostorm with him the other day where it's like this worldwide storm that's destroying the entire world and he has to stop it. And I have like a fascination with disaster movies, even though people think they're terrible and on paper they're not the best movies. But give me any disaster movie, I will watch it and I will love it.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good in that and it was good. I don't think i've heard of Geostorm.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not like gonna change your life good. I don't even know that it's like a good movie. But if you like disaster movies and like you, you like him, you'll probably find some enjoyment. And I'm not gonna say, oh, you should watch it, I recommend it. But if you're into both of those things, it's like a good cross between your ven diagram.
Speaker 2: See, Okay, I like it. I'm gonna check that out this weekend. All right, that's all I had for a movie conversation, unless you had anything else you wanted to add for movie stuff.
Speaker 1: I think my only other one actor that's my go to that's burned me a little bit, but I'm still like confident in him is Joaquin Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, why has he burned you?
Speaker 1: I didn't like Napoleon, and I feel like it was a little bit on him of like not doing the best job in that role. And I also found it weird of how quickly I will write off an actor because an actor could be my favorite. But I'm like, man, am I really that shallow that they do one bad role and I start to question them a little bit. But it just kind of shows you, like how hard it is to keep people as fans, like even me who I've been a fan of Joaquin Phoenix since like, I mean, he's been in movies forever, like since the early two thousands. I've loved all of his work, but like, one bad movie and I'm like, huh, I don't know if I love swie him as much anymore.
Speaker 2: Mike, you're turning into a critic. I know what's happening.
Speaker 1: I think that happens with people, even with like The Rock and Black Adam, which was so hyped up and they came out and it was way below expectations for people. I feel like that movie changed the perspective that some people have on the Rock, and even somebody as beloved as he is does one role that people don't like and then it's hard for them to be invested in the next role. I think once you burn people on something that they spend money on, that's kind of where things start to come into question. Even now with Dakota Johnson facing all the backlash with Madam Webb, I think that's gonna be hard to recover with. And even before that movie, I was saying that Dakota Johnson was one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood because she's done so many consistent movies, and then that one comes out, I'm like, oh, maybe I have a little bit of a different opinion on her. But then she does one more great movie on like, oh, yeah, she's back.
Speaker 2: It's just a little bit. You just like take it down a little notch, is what it sounds like. But you totally sound like a critic. Hey, I'm excited for you because you're a movie Person's that's the goal, I think, right to become.
Speaker 1: A critic, I think. So I try not to let that like alter my love of movie cause that's why I started, because I just enjoy watching them. But I think it's because I've watched them for with intent for so long now that at times I expect a little bit more and the amount of movies that I watch, I think it's harder for me to be really excited about something because if it's something that's not completely life changing or people, you know, trying to break the mole in movies, I get a little bit bored with it. So that's the only kind of thing I have to overcome is that I've exposed myself to so much, and I got to remember that not every single person is watching as many as I am, so I kind of have to hone it in on what makes one specific movie great.
Speaker 2: That's true, and you never really think of that too when you like look at critics and stuff, right that they've seen so many things, so something really has to stand out to them. And I could imagine it'd be really hard to just be like, no, let me forget everything that I've seen her done and focus on this one movie. I mean, you can't even do that in life liked all the movies you watch.
Speaker 1: It's the same thing we have with music, Like we're exposed to so much with the industry we work in that it takes an artist to come along that's really different and really just stands out like, oh, this is actually going to change the way that the music landscape is going, Like it takes something like that for people like us to really like shake us and be like, oh, this is somebody we need to invest time in, and that somebody that's gonna be great, not just now, but for a very long time. Those come fewer and further in between. I feel that same way with movies, just because we're exposed to so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're so true. Listen, We've got We've got tattoo Mike d who is coded Jackass, who is also now a movie critic, Mike Drop.
Speaker 1: It's literally coded jackass. Things. Sounds like an insult, but it's not.
Speaker 2: No, and I hope everybody knows that that's a movie. People are gonna hear that and they're gonna make mortgage such a mean person. But you don't take that way right.
Speaker 1: It just sounds funny. If like somebody just heard that clip, they'd be like, oh.
Speaker 2: Interesting, you know, maybe I'm gonna have to put that up to teaser clip, you know, give it to myself. Support All right, Michael, thanks for joining me, hanging out with me on zoom even though we are not in our normal setting, and I still had fun.
Speaker 1: This is great, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, tell the people where they can find you. Hear you all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: You can listen to my podcast, new episodes every single Monday, Movie Mike's Movie Podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow me on TikTok, Instagram at Mike Distro.
Speaker 2: Awesome and that next episode of Best Bits this weekend is going to be up and roughly an hour so I hope you enjoyed this. I hope you're having a fabulous Saturday. Mike. Thanks again, everybody. We'll see you later later.
Speaker 1: That's the Best Bits of the Week with Morgan. Thanks for listening. Be sure to check out the other two parts this weekend. Go follow the show on all social platforms. Followed web girl Morgan to submit your listener questions for next week's episode.
Speaker 2: Z