Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is DJ Envy, Angela Yee, Charlamagne the Guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got some special guests joining us this morning. We have Miss Valletta Wallace welcome, good morning.
Speaker 4: Good morning, good morning, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 3: And we also have our good friend Wayne sitting in the background gray and said he was about to leave, but he ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 2: Way about ow he ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 1: What's up, brother, I'm blessed, I'm blessed and be a blessed. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Man, it's a very special thing happening this weekend, the twenty twenty Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions and the late Great Christopher Wallace, the Notorious b I G. Will be inducted into the twenty twenty Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: That's great, an, So what does that mean to you?
Speaker 3: How do you feel about that?
Speaker 4: Well, for me, the mother, of course, I'm very very happy about it. I'm related about it. I'm thrilled. I'm only sorry it's not here. Yeah, to be a part of it. That you know, most of these honorary honor honors are going to people who are not here, right, you know, but I'm sure he would be thrilled for that reason.
Speaker 2: I am thrilled to myself, Wayne, what does it mean to you?
Speaker 5: I got to ask you the same question, what does it mean to you?
Speaker 1: You know what it's it's it's kind of one of those bittersweet things. I'm on it. It's he's never been able to experience what we've experienced from his fans. Right, the accolades came after his passing, right, he was on the custom of doing so much. So it's bittersweet for me from that standpoint, but I think it's extremely well deserved. And I'm thankful to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for, you know, saying acknowledging him for his music and his art. And you know, it's been a hard more fight over these last you know what I'm saying, twenty four years, So yeah, this is it means a lot, and I'm blessed and I'm thankful and grateful that we were able to experience this, and more specifically that Miss Wallace was able to be here to witness them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: Miss Wallace, how does it feel that Biggie is celebrated so much? Like even to this Day and Brookland. There's murals of Biggie everywhere. Every single restaurant you go into, there's a painting hanging hanging up of Christopher Wallace on the wall. He has his own street and everything. How does that feel for you?
Speaker 4: A very proud mother, very proud mother. Sad sometimes when I see things that brought tears to my eyes. Once again, as I said, He's not here to see these things. And I'm going to be honest with you, my son is being acknowledged in so many entities, so many avenues, so many programs. Everywhere you turn, there's a Biggie, there's a notorious. There's this I never knew, and I can honestly say I never knew that my son was that. I'm going to use the word famous. I never knew because I'm not a rap model. You know, I don't know anything about rap music. I've learned over the years, you know what it is and how to appreciate it. Now I appreciate it, I really really do. I appreciate the young men who are trying, you know, who've done it. But that wasn't me because even today I'm trying to listen to some of the words what did he say or well, you know, when he spoke of a s, I thought he was talking about Holloway, I don't know, but no, I know what it is.
Speaker 3: Now, let me ask a question, now where Pepsi just released an unreleased freestyle from Big right now? Are there are the unreleased records and verses that you guys might know of or something like that. Because this was a surprise, this was so long ago, it's like, wow, there might be some some verses that's still lingering around.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: People are holding on to some of those those jewels. We just got to get a hold of it. But most of what the actual state controls and has actually access to it is what it is. It's you know what I'm saying, It's been exploited. It's been out there just Pepsi commercials and you know what I'm saying, in the works from ninety seven when it was done, Wow, deal just couldn't get done. Then he pounds and then it just kind of went and enough just continued to fight to make sure that you know what I'm saying, that it stayed relevant and the connection with Rob Stone over the Cornerstone, him and his team are the ones that brought it back to.
Speaker 4: Lights, So you know what I'm saying. And at one point we couldn't find that take. Oh wow, at one point we couldn't find it.
Speaker 2: Where did y'all find it? Was it at mister C's house? Was it at Puff's crib?
Speaker 1: Where was it where they enough had a copy of it? Yeah? And I think that's that's why it sounds so choppy. You know what I'm saying. It was It's not digitized anything along those lines. So it is the actual raw fact.
Speaker 3: Ms.
Speaker 2: Wallace and Wayne.
Speaker 5: You know, as a fan, you know, we sit around and we debating the barber shops. When we at the house, we talk about the what if You know, it's always wonder for the family. How tough for the what ifs? When you ask yourself, what if he was here? What if he did this? How how tough for the what if is for the family.
Speaker 4: I can't tell about the family, but I can I can speak about me.
Speaker 1: What if he was here?
Speaker 4: Maybe I would strangle him. Maybe I would strangle him because you know some of the some of his associates, I still want to strangle them. But you know, there's a lot of what ifs, and I know he would be a happy guy. I know I would be a happy mother because he was a He was a good kid, he was a nice, nice person. We thought a lot, you know, but the makeup was so beautiful. There's so much apologies behind it. And he, you know, his explanation. He made me understand what he's trying to do, what he was trying to say. I still can't take the profanity, still can't. I listen to his music. I listened to his music, and I said, Jehovah, please help me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: So the what is maybe it would be still fighting, but it would still be my best friend.
Speaker 2: What about you? Wayne?
Speaker 1: The what is for me is more. I think that he would have elevated the culture hip hop and generally he just had a way of bringing the best out of people, forcing him to kind of step up just from a lyrical standpoint musically, and I think given the dynamics of where we are from a technology standpoint, because he was so in tune with everything around him and always ahead of the curve, that he would have been delving into things that kind of opened himself up to allow himself to be what these diets have become today, Like to Jay's and the Puffs. But from his perspective, in his way, and you know what I'm saying. From my standpoint, I think that that in itself is the what if that always haunts.
Speaker 6: I love when I hear people with their really good and find memories, people who knew Biggie and worked with him. I was just talking to Method Man and he was talking about how he first got introduced to Biggie and how they ended up working together and everything. So what are some of your favorite stories to hear about your son.
Speaker 4: There's a variety of them. They're always loving ones, you know, and they always spoke about his generosity, his kindness, his patience, and him wanting to help to make everyone better. You know, he wants everyone to have something. He wasn't the kind of guy who wants to keep it for himself. He was a sharer. He likes to share. And the respect that he had for even the friends, their mothers. You know, they went all out, you know, Miss Wallace, You know he did this for me and he did that for me things that I never knew. Did you know that he helped me here and he helped me there. I know it's in his heart. I know that kindness was there, but I've never experienced it. But knowing he wasn't here, and to hear them say, oh, miss Wallace, did you know in that shop he bought me that chair in the barber shop he bought me that chair?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Did you know he paid my rent for two months? You know that that was very touching? Wow, very very touching.
Speaker 5: Wayne, Do you have any stories you can share in front of Miss Wallace?
Speaker 2: Any fun stories?
Speaker 1: A lot of story point wise, you can get into, Wow.
Speaker 2: You're really thinking of.
Speaker 1: Think of something that I could you know what I'm saying. It's like, But most of the stories that I have are generally related to justice humor. But I mean remember being in a dice game with him one day in the whole way of Daddy's house, and you know, I mean there was a bunch of brothers up in there, but you know, we're not on the snitch game. So at the end of the day, he lost, and when he lost, he was mad. I mean, oh my goodness, he was so mad. And at the end of the day he put me up in the corner and say, yo, you know what I'm saying, I need to hold something because I need to come back right. So I told him, no, no, what do you mean, No, ain't out of one pain? You ain't. I wasn't paying you. So I game we needed exactly story. I can't waited. He did not win and then told me that I still got to give him some more money so he can go ahead and eat us bus moves?
Speaker 2: Did you get the money back?
Speaker 1: He always had this way of bossing up on you. It's just, you know, Big was a very humorous guy. But I called him a gentle giant. You know what I mean? This big heart took care of everybody and and never ever wave it mm hmm.
Speaker 6: It's just he was miss Wallace even before he became became a rapper. Did all the women love him around the neighborhood?
Speaker 4: Like? Did he always telephone bill? All these what do you call his honey's honey? So many honeys were calling that house. I told him, look, honey, you gotta get your own phone. I mean, every one you could think of. I could tell you a story. One one morning I was in my bedroom and I heard someone I told this story already, and the person said, well, excuse my languages early in the morning, I am not going to be your second bitch. Whoa, I'm listening, listening, listening. Then after she was gone, I said, come here. I heard the conversation. Second honey, she doesn't know she's about the fifth.
Speaker 2: So what do you do after something like that? Miss Wallace? Do you do you hand them? Because I grew up Jehovah witness, do you hand him a watch tower? Are an awake and say? Read this.
Speaker 4: All over the house on the sofa, he was on his floor, he was from the dining room table.
Speaker 5: Alf of my mom used to do to me when I used to get in trouble. It would always be a watch tower based on whatever the subject was.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Second honey, that's not the second, that's all the fifth.
Speaker 2: Wayne.
Speaker 5: I got a question, how much of your your love of hip hop died with Big.
Speaker 1: Wow? For honesty?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: None? Actually what died was big for me was the purity of hip hop? Right, but he represented as far as the purity is concerned. But hip hop it's in me, It's just it's just who I am. It's what you know, what I'm saying, I grew up in. But in terms of dying with him is definitely a purity I don't think that that has been sustained.
Speaker 3: You know with some some of the states, you know, they they are very fickle when they sign off on music. How are you guys signing off on music? Do you pretty much say you know what, we allow it? Or is it like, no, I gotta hear where it's going. I got to hear the song. I gotta hear what they're talking about. Like, how do you decide if you're going to sign off or not? Is it something like, you know, Miss Waller says, no, too much profanity, I'm not signing off on that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: How does it work? Well, it's two ways. One she does say that a lot, okay, but it is hip hop, And you know what I'm saying, you have to make her understand the business of it. Once you make her understand the busines of it, then she's okay, I'm okay with it. You can go ahead and improve it. There's nothing that's come out in the last twenty three years that has not been approved by as well. Her is have touched to everything. Everything has touched her ears. She's in every element of the business. So from that standpoint, you know what I'm saying, I think that it lends us the opportunity to have the sensibilities to do good business. So for me, I know what works and what doesn't. I know what she wouldn't want done and what she would want done. So there are a lot of records that came through over the years and it's like absolutely not. Either the record was straight whack or the business wasn't right. They was selling something that we knew would be detrimental to the brand, you know what I mean. So for us, it's always about the legacy, and it's always about assuring that we stay true to what he would do closer as we could.
Speaker 4: Gotcha?
Speaker 6: Is it hard to watch like the Unsolved stories that come on and the series and stuff like that that they've done.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, but it's not done yet. We're still fighting, you know. It's it's still there. You know, we're not I'm not going to give up. And I'm sure when when it comes to c J, he wants justice also and also his daughter team.
Speaker 1: How you feel when you watch.
Speaker 4: Him Unsolved Mysteries? The thing that, to be honest with you, I watched it and there's some things that went on. I knew about it. I told him I wasn't going to be a part of it, but I watched it and I'm glad it was out. I am glad because ninety eight percent of it is a truth.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, that's one of those things that that we didn't approve of as a matter to be good. But the way that they went about it was tacky, right. They didn't come and ask for permission. It just out there, you know what I'm saying at the end of the day, and I think that was something that was detrimental to the family at that point. But it did turn out to be a good show, so it paid off for them, of course. But at the end of the day, you know, it is what it is. But that's one of those things. To the point that you asked, as far as the question.
Speaker 3: I've seen something the other days, Follow'm sorry, so.
Speaker 4: I said, I lost my train of thought. I lost my train of thought.
Speaker 6: Was it because it envyes Beard?
Speaker 2: Stop it?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I seen something the other day and it kind of bothered me. It was an apartment or a condo, or maybe it was a whole they were selling in New Jersey and they were selling it based off of big living there.
Speaker 1: What's the name of the street.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the name of it. But they were saying this apartment they were selling this was the house of b I g come by the house and they were selling it based off of that, And I was like, is that legal? Can you do that?
Speaker 4: It was in it It's very possible. Court, that's what it was. Yeah, five Ellid Court. Yeah, he knows.
Speaker 6: People do that all the time, Like this person used to live here.
Speaker 4: You know. They do the same thing in in in Brooklyn on same James, the same thing with the Crown.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I saw that that crown did get auctioned off, right.
Speaker 1: Supposedly.
Speaker 5: How hard is it to heal when when you see you know, a big, big everywhere, like even this weekend with the came into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or you know the bio pics that they always do the documentaries, Like, how hard is it to heal when when with all of that?
Speaker 4: It saddens me every time every time I see things like that. I mean, I'm going to be watching the Rock and Roll All of Fame. I've seen you know, clips of it, and it touched it touched me, you know. I cried when when I got the rough cut, especially at the end, I really tears. I was going all over the place. So every time I see things like that, it seems like yesterday he was here and I was talking to him. So it really saddens me. I'm glad it's out there, and I'm you know, I'm glad everybody's doing what they're doing. I just want them to do it fairly, and you know the taste, I'm very I'm saddened by it.
Speaker 1: What about you way, I mean, I've become.
Speaker 2: Numb to it, right, that's not good though.
Speaker 1: I mean when I said I've healed, that is what I'm saying, Okay, So I become numb to the nuances of what that represents, right, because it represents something different to me because in where I know where I am, and I know that from a healing standpoint, I'm tapped in in a different way. Right, So I'm cool with that. I think that the thing that bothers me is the disrespect that comes with it. Right, you got people out here that's promoting parties and doing things along those lines, or creating opportunities and campaigns for themselves, but aren't giving back to the foundation, never going back to the kids. For me, it's always been about the kids, right and Miss Wallace. So from that standpoint, it's like, when you're doing that and that level of disrespect, now, I'm cool. I passed on that. So I've kind of detached myself from the emotion so that we can get into the business of it all. And that's when I get on my thing.
Speaker 6: What happened with that crown getting auctioned up? Where does that money go? I know it was like a photographer or somebody who had.
Speaker 4: It short goes to him. I wish he would do. It's something for the foundation.
Speaker 6: That would make a lot of sense because that ran her a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, Baron's a good guy, Baron Clint boy and we do have a great relationship with him, do a lot of business with him, have done a lot of business over the years. I do see him as the kind of brother that will reach out, and he has reached out. We just have to talk about what that would look like. But I don't want anybody to think for a second that the man is not out there thinking about things from a state standpoint or from the family standpoint, because in the years that I've known him and the years that we've been doing the business with him. He's always been that guy, gotcha.
Speaker 5: You know when you say that your heal just going back to the healing thing?
Speaker 2: Is healing mean? You know? His his death is something that to accept.
Speaker 1: Healing for me is not only accepting you. What I mean, healing to me is fortifying oneself. Right at the end of the day, We're all born to die, right, It's about how you live your life that matters, right, And for me, I lived my life upright and on a square surrounded by a circle. So as I'm concerned my inner self, I know how to heal way if that makes sense, right, and inn healing me, I can comfort others, you know what I mean. So I've accepted death in a different way because I've dealt with so much death from childhood to manhood. So at the end of the day, it's not something that I'm afraid of. It's not something that I'm afraid to discuss. It's not mentally challenging, it's not emotionally challenging. I'm content, I'm balanced in my life.
Speaker 5: What about you, miss Wilds, Is this something that you've accepted his death?
Speaker 4: It work hard, and because I know death is final and for him. It's final. I accept it.
Speaker 1: But there are.
Speaker 4: Little avenues, little crevices and corners of his death that I cannot and I will not accept. And I'm saying that because I'm a true Christian. Because what's right is right, what's fair is fair, murder is wrong, badness is wrong. I cannot accept that. Those are things that I know I can't accept. But the fact that he's not here. I have accepted that. I was accepted the fact that his children are here. I love them dearly. But the fact that he's not here to see them grow into the woman and the man that they are. It's hard for me to accept what happened to him because they took that away, and that sometimes hurts. So do I accept his death, Yes, I do, But the way it happened. Nah.
Speaker 6: Do you ever feel like you get signs that he's still watching over you?
Speaker 4: Oh honey, death is final. He's not watching me. One is watching. I know somebody's watching me, because if he wasn't what and guiding me, I wouldn't be here today.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: But as far as Christopher's concerned, oh honey, he's asleep in death, deep sleep, and I'm looking forward forward just seeing him again in the near future.
Speaker 2: I have either one of you, like seeing him in a dream or.
Speaker 7: Many times, many times laughing, laughing, laughing, laughing is a little comedic self, and you know, quarreling too.
Speaker 4: H Yeah, I've dreamt him many times.
Speaker 2: What about you, Wayne, I actually speak to him daily.
Speaker 1: I speak to my ancestors a lot, and so doing kind of embraced him into the family in that way. So he's a part of my daily conversation.
Speaker 5: When when when you think about it, Wayne, because you know, whenever you see like when he's birthday comes around, you like, hey, Biggie would have been you know, late forties. Like when you think about it, do you realize how young y'all were.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy? Yes, I do it kind of. Twenty five years is a long time, you know what I'm saying. I'm saying, And so much has happened, so much has gone on, you know, so much has been missed, so much has been reading, so much. It's just so much about life that happens in that time period that you lose sight of the fact that you're getting over as long as you're staying true to who you are, right So with that said absolutely. I look at it and I'm like, wow, I can't believe that. I think at that time I was twenty five.
Speaker 8: Wow, wow, twenty five, twenty six, Yeah, by then it's crazy and I'm a little older than them.
Speaker 2: Did you even understand the magnitude of what y'all was doing back then?
Speaker 1: I know absolutely not, you know, and and and from my experience in in in the business, looking back, uh, it's almost like I I you know how you hat that that that mirror effect where you want to look back at life and see what you would have done different and the reasons why. There's nothing that I would have done different. But knowing what I know now, I understand how much wrong we did because of youth, right, we were too young to be able to really really embrace and understand what to do with all that we had. The nineties was the greatest moment, you know what I'm saying in my young life. The nineties was it. There has been nothing since that catapulted that energy for me, right the youth to they they're different. I respect them for who they are and what they're doing, no different than what we did back in the day. But the nineties was just something different. It was just special.
Speaker 5: It was That's the most tragic thing about the whole situation when you think about how young Tupac and Big You were, and it was.
Speaker 2: Just simple youthful mistakes.
Speaker 5: Not realizing the power of your tongue, not realizing your influence. You know, just just a little bit of age and experience would would have changed changed the perspective of either one of them.
Speaker 1: And you know another thing too to that point, I mean, it's crazy because if you think about it, us being young, we had elders, but our elders weren't that much older. Yeah, I was blessed to come up on the totally different gene. Jean Grifflin, you know what I'm saying, Harvey Austin, those are individuals that was managing Teddy and you know what I'm saying, I'm working with him and Rex and in effected at the time. So I was taught by men how to be a man in this business right, And even though I was young, I had the understanding because of what I've seen of what I did not want to do if that made me.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that I think that was always missing for us in our culture is the fact that we didn't have elders on us really really holding us down in a in a vast way. Yes, you had individual pockets of individuals, but you didn't have a group of them, of grown ass men saying hey, slow that down, shorty, this is what you need to be doing. Pay attention to this, think about this. We didn't have that, so we had to learn it on our own. Everything was due experience.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: We look forward to seeing this Saturday on HBO eight PM, the twenty twenty induction of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And we appreciate you guys for joining us this morning. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Yes, spread love is the way, indeed.
Speaker 1: Indeed always love forever.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 5: My anthing, my