Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond sound bites and headlines and looks deeper into their processes, challenges, and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cohne, i lead mutual fund and active research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Today my co host is James Seifert, ETF, analyst with Bloomberg Intelligence. James, thank you for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me. David, happy to be back. It's always fun to do these.
Speaker 1: Things, definitely. So we're today we're going to be talking about a hedge equity strategy, which you know, kind of reminds me of, you know, the popularity that's happening right now with buffer ETFs, options over lay ETFs. What have the flows been like to those products so far this year?
Speaker 2: I mean, if you are looking at those buffer defined outcome ETFs as we call them, the options overlay ets where you're getting income or protection of some sort, they are arguably one of the hottest categories in ETFs in the US as far as a percentage growth basis. I mean, they're not taking in as much money as a standard standalone s A P five hundred type product, but if you're looking at it on a percentage growth basis, I mean, it is some serious it's a serious category. And when you combine the two of them, I mean, right now, in the US alone, you're looking at for those defined outcome ETFs, eighty seventy billion dollars in ETF, so only on equity. There's some in other areas. And then if you again, if you're looking at options overlay, again only in equity, that's almost one hundred and ten billion dollar category, which granted it's not a trillion dollar category, but it's big. And the main thing I want to point out is it's growing quickly. So they're taking in combined three billion dollars a month like clockwork, pretty much for the year of twenty twenty five. So if you're an issue or advisor kind of targeting the same sort of strategy, it should be looking pretty good for you that you can maybe pull away some of the money that's going there. You know, the fish are jumping in the boat. People obviously like the ideas behind these categories, so it'll see how it turns out.
Speaker 1: Well, there's definitely a lot of interest, which makes a great segue to our guests today. I'd like to welcome our name Holzer to the podcast. Our name is the global macro strategist and client portfolio manager at Easterly EAB and a portfolio manager on their Easterly Hedge equity strategy. Our name thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, David, and great to meet you, James.
Speaker 1: So let's dive right in. What is the investment philosophy behind the strategy.
Speaker 3: The philosophy is very simple. What we're trying to do is create an asymmetric return pattern where we get more of the upside of the S and P than we get of the downside of the S and P, and particularly minimize drawdowns so that what you do is improve sharp ratios and sortino ratios, give investors a smoother ride, but actually give them a much more efficient hedge dequity approach than what's available and other products.
Speaker 1: Well, let's stick deeper. What is the investment management process like? So how does it work in terms of how do you approach this?
Speaker 3: Well, at our core, our firm is a is a derivatives research firm, and the work that we did showed that you know many many of the down drafts that occur in the market historically are in the one to two standard deviation area, in other words, between two and ten percent down drafts, and so we're really not trying to defend the deepest, you know, fifteen twenty percent down drafts in any one moment. We're trying to basically make relevant protection in that one to two standard deviation area and really hedge that. And then if the market continues to go down, we'll roll down further and we keep our trades kind of short. In other words, the structure of this is usually three to five week trades, and the market really goes down twenty five or thirty percent, you know, in a five to ten day period. By monetizing more more irregular down drafts, more occurring down drafts, you're actually able to protect more relevantly rather than waiting for that big down draft that often occurs only once every three four five years and you pay a lot for that. So our idea is to monetize to make offset from lower down drafts and then reinvest at those rates and get a quicker clawback. And what you find is a more relevant and actually a more efficient defense mechanism, a more efficient participation mechanism that gives you better sharp and sortino ratios than even the underlying S and P.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to jump in here real quick. Can you, like, how are clients using this strategy? Are you seeing it? Like? Are people using this as a core allocation? Are they using it as defensive or tactical? Like? Exactly is it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Where is it going in the portfolio?
Speaker 3: I guess this is a great question, James, And you're going right to the meat of the issue. And if you don't mind, let me you know, kind of construct what the difference and how this and how this is used versus other funds, other buffer funds and kind of defined risk funds are basically defending one for one down drafts and participating and giving up some upside participation to do that. And they're really dumbing down. They're really muting volatility kind of equally on the upside and the downside. And that's really the problem, I would say into the Great Financial Crisis, which was we've got to figure out how to give our investors a less volatile ride, because the moments that they dealt with in terms of the tech wreck and in terms of the Great Financial Crisis were primarily not correlation expansion or beta problems. They were primarily volatility issues, and that volatility scared investors. Now what happened post to GFC is really interesting. The problem that we see occurred post the GFC is that correlations became much more unstable and David and James the real issue with modern portfolio theory is that it optimizes to volatility. But what we found, the kind of conundrum that investors and advisors have, and we talk to advisors every day, is that when you need correlations to be stable, which is the assumption in modern portfolio theory, they're uniquely unstable. And so your real problem from the Great Financial Crisis going forward and has been seen in the last five years post COVID, is that correlations across multi assets are just not stable. And so, for example, fixed income has been more often correlated to equities in the last four or five years than uncorrelated. And so the problem that you have from a portfolio management point of view is not so much giving a lower volatility to the overall portfolio, which is why people use the buffer funds. The traditional buffer funds that defend one for one, we defend twice the notional to the downside, and the reason is we're trying to the correlation problem and the beta expansion problem. And so by defending that downside with twice the notional downside and put spreads, what we do is we squeeze the beta risk to zero as the market goes down into our put spreads. That's a very different problem. And what we're doing is we're saying, look, your big issue from a portfolio management point of view, is it across even your equities alone, James, your correlations blow out much more meaningfully than they used to. And part of that is because inflation, because multi assets really perform differently than they used to. So what I would say is, in the past, you just use it as kind of an additional volatility MUTER. Now with our fund, what we're seeing is people are using it as a the diversification part of fixed income. They're substituting that piece. So not anybody in a sixty to forty model needs forty percent of their portfolio for income purposes. Of that forty percent in their allocation, often fifteen or twenty percent of that was actually for diversification per pose. So we're a very good substitute from a diversification point of view to plug in in that part of the portfolio. But now more and more, what we're actually seeing, after particularly eighteen, but more twenty two, where you saw S and P core positions, this core satellite idea and equity portfolios. What you're seeing is some folks say, wait a second, if the S and P went down nineteen percent in twenty twenty two, how good a core position was that? Really? From a risk management point of view, the fact that our fund was down less than three percent, if you had had that at the core. And yes, it's an active fund, and yes there's a fee management fee, but on a net basis, being down under three from a risk management and an efficiency point of view, it becomes a very interesting core equity allocation. And we're beginning to see more advisors say, wait a second, can't I look at this hedge dequity almost like a factor fund. Yes it's not growth or value or capsize or dividend, but it's a factor of volatility. And this you know, these funds manage actively the way they play the volatility range, and that factor adds value as an equity fund. So we're beginning to see people say, wait, a second, this can be actually a core equity allocation, and over the last three years it's you know, it's it's outperformed, for example, equal weighted SMP with half of the risk. So it's a very interesting core equity piece given how well it's performed.
Speaker 1: A way to partially replace traditional bonds that that section of the portfolio. But now it's taking up more of the equity side.
Speaker 3: Would you say, yeah, I think I think the the the issue for equity investors, particularly in this environment. And James, you know you probably see this quite a bit with the growth in some of these specialty funds, but you know AI extended tech, you know, very focused renewables, energy funds. You know, in the old days, there was you know, years ago, there was the marijuana based funds. You're seeing investors, you know, obviously you know the frontier emerging markets. You're seeing investors say, look, I think where there's not perfect information, I can get very high alpha in some parts of my equity portfolio. But David, the problem with those allocations is that you expand the potential for beta risk, for beta expansion risk, and so if you want to search for return and more of these younger clients. These forty and fifty year old clients are looking for relevancy in their equity portfolios. The problem with that as an advisor, and I talk to advisors every day, is they're saying, yes, I understand they want crypto, I understand they want AI. But the beta risk of these funds it might look like a one point four beta to the S and P in quiet times, But if you get a liquidity moment, or you get a big decline in the SMP, that one point four or one point three beta could become a two point five beta, and then what do I do with my equities? They could really hurt my clients. And so using a fund like ours that squeezes beta demonstrably, you know, it goes from a normal forty to forty two beta to towards a zero beta. In twenty eighteen, we actually made money when the market was down. In twenty two we squeezed that down to less than a point one beta. In those kind of extreme environments. Allows your equity portfolio to stretch for return with higher alpha funds. But at the same time, David, in the decline moment that creates a beta risk, you have that you have that defensive fund in the middle that provides that balance. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know it's cliche, but like everyone's saying, it's the death of the sixty forty. But the more and more I talk to people that are allocators, like advisors and institutions, it really is kind of gone. For the most part. It's becoming more like or at least what is in those sixty and forty categories has expanded. It's like sixty thirty ten or seventy twenty ten where they're doing more strategies like yours, like those alpha strategies are going thematic investing or crypto or something along those lines. In those satellite positions. Things really have changed as far as the allocation side of things goes, and from my point of view, it really exacerbated things in twenty twenty two, and you know, your equities and your bond's went down together. I think that's part of the growth we're seeing in strategies like yours and buffers and overlays. So I guess my next question would be, is there a tactical component to your equity exposure, like are you going after low vall stocks or is it just beta to the S and P five hundred on the equity leg. Can you just talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: So we'll get into the structure. So the biggest risk as a forty year financial professional, the biggest risks you have in markets is really mismatches, right, It's leverage and it's mismatches. So the mismatch issue is you don't want to own single stocks if you're trying to reduce beta risk. If you're trying to reduce risk, that correlations blow out. So we own the S and P. The structure owns the S and P through spy, and we leverage the structure thirty percent extra exposure through a swap with Golden Sacks. So we're in essence a one thirty thirty five, So it's thirty percent swap with Goldman Sachs. So we get one hundred and thirty percent exposure, which right away gives you additional exposure to an asset that starts at the bottom left and goes to the top right. So that's a good thing. We then sell up to one hundred percent. We never sell the thirty percent, any thirty percent of that swap, any of that exposure in calls in the two to four percent range. On a let's say a one month trade, and we use that to finance two hundred notional two hundred percent of our notional in putspreads in a one to two standard deviation, which would be two percent down to seven percent down a ninety eight ninety three put spread. That's a one to two standard deviation. Now, the reason we do that is basically, we want to get exposure to where declines normally happen, and when those declines happen, we're going to monetize excess return, right because we're hedging two hundred percent of our notional, not two hundred percent of the hundred not not you know, one hundred percent. Most buffer funds are constructed on three month trades and they only defend their notional so they don't have leverage, so they don't get access return from the S and P and they don't get excess return from their hedge because they're only they're only hedging their notional amount. They're one hundred dollars basically, so we get access return if the market does go into our range, and as the market recovers, we have room to rise into our sold calls, into our short calls. That's financial structure is in a positive income, positive data, so we don't bleed, and that's a very important thing because many option structures provide defense, but they bleed, so you're losing return of the market. And because we never sell, we never short calls on that thirty percent of the swamp, we always have. In the worst market for us, which would be something like twenty seventeen, where there's no volatility in the market goes straight up, we're going to get thirty to thirty five percent of the market with about thirty five percent of the volatile. It's a you know, forty percent of volatility. It's a very it's a very safe structure even in a very low vol straight up market, but most investors don't buy us for that environment because they have other equity products that really work in that environment. What happens is normally, after very low vall environments, you get a high vowel event and we we do exceedingly well in those events. But that structure is not is not discretionary. It's a it's a structure, a systematic structure that we've researched works now that the strikes of that whether it's a three week trade or a five week trade, whether it's a ninety eight ninety three put spread or a ninety six you know, you know eighty five, the range might vary a little bit based on the math of where the options are, the volatility is, and that kind of constructs the actual put you know puts, and the dimensions of the trade. But the structure of the trade is always in place and stays relevant to the market. So if market goes up, we're following up the market, and then if the market falls from that elevated level, we start to defend in that range where some of the longer traits, the three month trades can become very irrelevant. If the market goes up, their puts may be irrelevant to normal declines. And again if the market goes down through their puts, they may no longer participate to the downside. And what we do instead is we stay relevant to the up and to the down of the market because our trades are shorter. So that's the structural difference. It's not so much discretionary as it is systematic based on the math of the market.
Speaker 2: So I guess basically like I get you're saying, the structure is determined based on what's going on in the market and how options are being priced, whether it's the state of the time value to kay vega, what all those Greek letters that go into valuing it. That's what you're determining where things are. So do you distinguish it all between secular and secular changes or are you just kind of maintaining your same sort of structure no matter what's going on in your your situation is basically determined by what's going on in the market and how where your hedges correct.
Speaker 3: The structure is systematic, but the levels where it trades depend on the math of the market. And the benefit of that has really shown through because if you're really fixed in your structure and your very long term you can't adjust to the math of volatility, and you can't adjust to the skew of the options market. And the benefit of our structure is if skew is to the call, you know we're able to take advantage because we don't have to trade our trade at a particular level versus where we are. If skew is to the call, we can set our call, our short calls at a much higher level, which gives us more room to participate up so our percentage of participation will actually be better in that environment. And if skew is to the put, you know, then we're able to sell our put spreads a little bit more optimally in a different fashion as well. Whereas the structures, you know, some of the buffer funds and some of our competitors are very stuck in a dogmatic trade that is numerically basically structured. They can't adjust to that. And so that's very important, particularly when you recognize that the changes in the options market the last several years and the really the retailization of options has given us tremendous advantages because it's allowed us to do, I think, to even adjust our structure more optimally then we might have envisioned five ten years ago when the structure started. We just passed our ten year anniversary this last month, by the way. But when the structure was initially envisioned, I don't think we recognized the potential for some of these ranges. With skew and retail interest zero one two day to expery that has you know, really increased the liquidity and some of the ranges for the technical part of options that that I don't think anybody expected and it's actually helped our product.
Speaker 1: So if we if we think about this for our listeners that don't understand options, you know, if they're thinking about it, how does this strategy typically behave you know, relative to S and P five hundred during rallies versus corrections. So if we just kind of simplify it.
Speaker 3: So there, there's there's It's really like a light that has the characteristics of a particle and has the characteristics of a wave. So so the particle is the equity market, right, so we follow the equity market. If the equity market goes up, we have a high correlation to equities. We have you know, for those who know you know correlation, we have a we have a well over ninety R squared to the equity market. So we participate well as the market goes up. When the market goes down, if it goes down very little, yes we go down a little bit as well. But if the market goes down through the one to two standard deviation area, which is kind of in that two to seven percent area, if it goes into that area and volatility rises, that's the wave issue. We start to correlate to volatility and we get a benefit from that and our puts start to generate return. And so the idea here is we really the factor that we're making money off of is the cyclicality of volatility. So investors have historically been hurt by volatile times. Some people call it volatility drag, it hurts portfolio. Some people like to call it beta expansion. But what we do is we participate with equities on the in normal markets and in upward rising markets. But if there is any kind of cyclicality to volatility or a volatility rises, that gives us a second form of compensation, and we're able to take advantage of that because of the nature of our trade, which has a tendency to buy volatility, you know, kind of on the cheap side, and sell volatility more on the rich side. We have a tendency to sell equities on the you know, in the normal markets, because we sell calls, you know, in that two to four percent above where we are. So we sell calls equity up on the upside, and we tend to buy equity on the downside because as the market goes down, our extra defense is compensating us, is monetizing us, and we'll roll to a new structure and the excess goes into units of the S and P. And so what you see with a structure like this that is overdefended is we get overcompensated for the downside, which means we have money to buy low and when the when the market mean reverts, and historically the market has always mean reverted, thankfully, that means that we have a tendency to buy more units in those lower amounts, which means we claw back fast, which helps you overall portfolio because you have an asset that's starting to come back sooner than the market, you know, than other products in the market.
Speaker 2: So you just basically said that volatility actually is pretty good for the returns of this type of strategy. So I guess my question would be what is the worst, Like, what are you going to underperform the standard beta of the market the most?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Based on what you said, I'm going to guess it's a low volatility regime where the market is ripping. Essentially, that is when you're going to have the highest in performance.
Speaker 3: Is that right? Right? So, if we think about tail risk being kind of a one in five to seven year, like real tail risk being a one into five to seven year kind of event. I would say the opposite side, you know, the right tail risk, not the left tail risk, the right tail risk, which is the very low VALL and you know, fifteen to twenty five percent up year with VALL with the vis being let's say six to eight and realizing you know, three to four. The twenty seventeen year is a perfect example of that kind of a tail year that it doesn't necessarily the strategy doesn't lose money, but it's it's more that thirty to forty percent participation in the S and P and lowish VALL, but you don't get that very high sixty to eighty percent of the SMP that we'd like to ex effect with you know, forty percent of the volatility. That's that kind of a market is unusual. But even an up market if you get cyclicality in volatility, and we've seen some of those the last few years where you get a fifteen to twenty percent return but the VIX is still at fourteen to eighteen, that kind of a year where you have and you have a couple of little scares is a perfectly fine year for us. It's really the year where you get that perfect storm of no volatility and straight upward to the to the right that that makes us look pedestrian. In other words, will be you know, we'll have a slight advantage over high yield at about the same risk or maybe a little less risk, but it won't be that fifty to seventy sixty to eighty percent of the s and P with forty percent of the risk kind of year, which is a home run, you know. Thankfully, I would say sixty to seventy percent of the time we're in our sweet spot. Maybe ten percent of the time. It's more of that twenty seventeen kind of year. But the good news is in those kinds of years, James and David, everything else in your portfolio is just on octane, high octane, and so no one's really worried about this part of their portfolio.
Speaker 1: So if you think of another situation, how has it behaved in rising rate or inflationary environments where traditional fixed income is kind of struggled.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a it's a really good question. If you if you look at two thousand, you know, twenty two, for example, I was referring to it before the strategy was down was down two point seventy five percent and the market was down you know, close to nineteen percent depending on how you looked at it. You know, eighteen plus percent. That's a very significant defensive performance. And you know that's an environment where if certain data points had worked out a little bit better, you know, we could have been basically flat on the year. We have a we have clients that came through that period that came to us and basically said, we're going to up our allocation to you because we realize that having too much in the core S and P category. Now, granted, you know people were paying you know, James, I know you're going to love this comment, but people were paying seven basis points right for the S and P and feeling great that you know, passive is great, and owning the S and P is great because it's passive and that does better than active managers. And you paid seven basis points for the SMP, but you're down eighteen plus percent for that seven basis points. And granted, folks pay more to own our fund, but you know they were down two point seventy five percent, So not many of our clients were unhappy with owning our fund at a normal management fee. Versus the S and P. Because the S and P doesn't truly give you defense. Indexes are not riskless. And I think what you're beginning to see here, because of this beta expansion risk, and because of the tendency for the SMP, because it's a market cap weighted index, it has much more beta expansion risk than people understood. If you look at the equal weighted SMP versus you know, even versus the market cap weighted SMP, you know, the equal way to SMP was down eleven point five basically in twenty twenty two versus the eighteen plus in twenty two versus R two seventy five. So there is a fair amount of kind of hidden risk within these indices, passive indices. And I think what you're seeing advisors, and I talk to advisors just about every day. What you're seeing advisors basically say, is passive is interesting visa VI the active conversation, right, but it's not necessarily as interesting versus the risk management versus the risk efficiency conversation. And I think that dimension of the conversation is a really important one. Now, the traditional buffer funds, the traditional defined outcome funds, they don't do beta. They don't control beta expansion, so they don't give you the same benefit in this particular discussion. But alternatives that are able to really claw down you really drop down your beta expansion are actually a very interesting conversation visa VIP passive. And I think this is a topic that I've made a lot of headway with with with modelers. You know, I go to see you know, institutions, I go to see you know, distribution channels when I talk to that their modeling groups, And this is the place where you're starting to see some very interesting headway because you can never make headway on the passive active discussion. There's just it's a really hard conversation to have anybody, you know, kind of open up their mind to. But when you talk about the passive active conversation around risk management, that actually is one where the door is cracking and you're beginning to see people really, really solid people say, wait a second, this does make a difference if you're able to bring that capability, that characteristic into portfolios.
Speaker 2: So let's get into something we've danced like the entire time we've been talking here. Let's go into like a little bit of a direct comparison to buffer or options overlay ETFs. I mean for I don't know if the listeners will know this, but there's like the last few months there's been this blow up of AQR from the likes of Clifford Assenas mainly writing papers basically attacking these buffer products, saying they're overpriced and nothing but a marketing gimmick. I kind of view it like there's pros and cons to each, right, Like, I don't think it's just a marketing gimmick. I think there's benefit for some people. They'll be like, I know I'm going in here, and I know exactly what my downside risk is. I know exactly where things can go. And I think that's just like easy for some people who don't understand finance and the benefits of a portfolio construction to go in and know what this is. And like, this has been a huge area in the annuity market, right that this is structured product is a huge thing at banks and high networth individuals. So I guess, like, are you when you're talking to people, are you directly competing with these types of products? How do you compare yourself when you're trying to sell your product?
Speaker 3: You've already said it.
Speaker 2: You kind of move up and down with the market, Like do you also get compared against these options over where they're only selling calls to the upside, so you're still subject to a lot of the downside, but you get some income. Like how what is your main pitch and like why you say in a succinct way, like what is your argument? And like who do you agree with?
Speaker 1: More?
Speaker 2: Do you agree with the Clifford asking this QR side of things? You do agree with the buffer? You more like me sit in the middle of pros and cons to each.
Speaker 3: Well, you asked me to be succinct, and you gave me a question that literally could be like it don't be succinct. Yeah, thank you for the podcast format, David. Okay, let me first say, it really matters what problem you're trying to address.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: If you're trying to address the volatility problem, which I really view as the you know, the tech wreck and Great financial crisis problem, which was volatility scared people, some of those structures are very interesting. And remember modern portfolio theory, it doesn't just have an assumption that correlations are stable. It also makes an assumption that individual utility functions are very similar along risk and reward. And you know, I I'm you know, I'm an orthodox you know economists from from from Princeton, and I love that work, and I studied under malcol and you know, Markowitz, I think is you know, has done wonderful work. But some of those assumptions, you know, probably need to be tested more behaviorally, and I think there's been some good work around that. And you know, so the Cliff, you know, and by the way, tremendous respect for Cliff, and I think a lot of the things he said are legitimate because I don't think some of the existing products are really worth what what they They don't necessarily offer as good a performance and they don't necessarily solve the problem as well as they should. But but I also would say this to Cliff, and that is that the utility function of investors is much more variable than you know, these conservative, moderate and aggressive models or you know, depending on you use three or use five. You know, it's very hard. Advisors have the toughest job in finance, and they have to try to fit individual client asset liability and and and behavioral tendencies into these these models. And so what some of these buffers and defined models have done. Is really solved for is try to at the edge, you know, at the incremental level, try to trim some of that to meet individual investors' behavioral you know, kind of utility functions. And in that regard, even though they may not be perfect, they probably help some advisors solve for Okay, this client's got more volatility fear than they it would be willing to acknowledge in stress. I'm going to solve for that problem by lowering some of the volve. Now, these products I don't think solve the problem as elegantly as they should. I think they're you know, they're too long a trade. I think they're not asymmetric. They certainly don't solve the twenty fifteen to the future problem, which is really beta expansion. But I think that's what those funds have done, and so to that extent, I think the cliff is a little harsh, But to the extent that those funds, because they're not asymmetric, because they can become irrelevant because they don't solve the problem that is really the future problem, which is really how do you manage and constrict beta expansion in a world where fixed income no longer has a bull market behind it and is negatively correlated. I think they're anachronistic and they're really not effective. And when we show our numbers against our competitors, it's it's very clear that it's a better solution to be a symmetric and squeeze downside risk. It's it's very clear. And if you look at our upside downside capture ratios, it's very obvious that the asymmetry makes a difference. So we can still solve for the volatility problem, but we really solve for this this beta expansion problem. Now, the other question that you ask is, you know, why have these products been so popular? Part of it is because from a marketing point of view, they're very easy to market, compliance approves, the very straightforward documentation. You know, they seem optically to do what they say they're going to do, and so they solve the problem. They scratch an itch, but they don't necessarily give you the deep tissue massage that you need to be resilient in that crisis situation. And that's, you know, that's a very big difference. And I think, and to that extent, I think if Cliff had looked at a broader set of funds. We were not included in his data set. But if he had included a broader set of funds, I think he might not have come quite so harshly down on the entire you know, tard the whole industry. But but the main point is correct, which is, if you're paying anything for a fund that doesn't really solve the real problem, you're paying too much. And and so that's you know, one of the things. And what we try to do is really get the arias, you know, to get advisors, you know, even small institutions and even some institutions that we're talking to, to really understand the portfolio risk allocation implications of having something at the center rather than using an MPT a modern portfolio approach looking more towards a total portfolio approach, where you start analyzing your risk in holistic terms and not trying to put everything into style boxes, but saying, how does this firm add to the risk efficiency of my fund? And when you look at that and you say, wait a second, if this fund has better sharp and sortino than the market, than the equity than SMP, that means I can take that budget that lowered risk that and I can use that efficiently somewhere else, And that concept is very valuable of risk budgeting. We have not seen retail, we have not seen small institutions really do that. But I've spent some time recently with consultants and some small institutions who really are starting to understand volatility has been used by very big institutions for a long time to just sell vol They just sell, I'll sell, I'll sell all until it doesn't work, it blows up, and then when it blows up, it's interesting to sell all again. But because it seems like a one way trade, that's the way everyone's used it. But very few people have used this idea of a hedge VOWL kind of management approach which takes advantage of vowel ranges and cyclicality evolve almost like an equity factor. And I think that piece because what happens with a lot of these factor funds is they get so overused that they disintermediate the value added, whether it's cap whether it's value, whether it's growth, whether it's small or low vowel funds or dividends. Those factors start out with a certain ir but when more and more people pile in, they lose their value. What's interesting about volatility This has been this issue has existed for years, but very few people have really piled in. In fact, I think most people have not used volatility correctly. I think we use it correctly. And I think that opportunity as an equity care characteristic to harvest is what differentiates us. And and that's notably different from you know, the kind of traditional buffer funds that you see out there.
Speaker 1: So we're starting to run out at a time. But since you are a global macro strategist, I would be remiss if I didn't ask you about the markets. You know, we've read your you know, your market overview for April has what has changed in your view since then?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, prior, prior to the pandemic, we would have thought there was some room for the FED to create some kind of easing, you know, maybe maybe even just twenty five basic points. But obviously since you know, Liberation Day, some of that has changed. And I think it would be unrealistic to assume that the FED, you know, that the FED has has an easy path here. We we believe secularly that the inflation equilibrium has changed post pandemic. We think that it probably means that that our star, although no one wants to talk about it. I'm still wondering what's gonna happen at Jackson Hole. But it seems like we think rates are a little bit higher, will remain a little bit higher, and that inflation will will remain a little bit higher. And the call that you know that Scott Besson has had to drop rates one hundred and fifty basis points, we think that probably a lower number is going to be realistic. I think it's going to be a real challenge for the Fed. You know, we have a highly unorthodox president, we have some unconventional times. We think that the mortgage market is probably the bigger problem that the FED needs to solve for I think if you look at the economy, obviously there's some labor issues that are picking up. There's still some incipient concern about inflation with the trade tariffs. But I just don't see the FED having the freedom to drop rates as much as the market is expecting. I think potentially, you know, this fourth quarter, we could see one decrease. I don't think we're going to see as many as the market would anticipate. But I also think that the Fed really should be looking in terms of the balance sheet, the mortgage side. I think the Treasury Secretary should really be looking at, you know, the privatization of Fanny and Freddy. I think the problem we have to solve war here that also affects you know, inflation, is what's going on in the housing market. And so while we're in very unconventional times, very unorthodox times, there is a way to thread this needle. Productivities come in relatively well. You know, there is a potential that the tariffs could be could end up at just a low enough rate that the combination of companies with margins and some of the sellers taking some of the peace and consumers still getting a piece, that it not be so disruptive if productivity remains relatively high, and that would probably mean rates come down, but not as much as people are expecting. I think that means, you know, medium terms to long term bonds are not a great place, which witness my comments about correlations on bonds not being a great diverse fire and why you need these kind of alternatives that give you some beta expansion protection. I think that that's still true, but we need to thread this needle and volatility and implied correlation in the market is kind of complacent, you know, just to give you a sense, when we look at skew in options, given where the market is near market highs, we would expect the option skew to be pretty significantly to the put. But in actuality it's only modestly let's say point three point four standard deviations to the put, I would expect it to be, you know, over one standard deviation to the put. The reason for that is people just frankly, are not selling their calls. It's not that they're necessarily over you know that they're underbuying puts. They're still buying buying puts, but they're really not selling their calls. There's a lot of retail. When I was talking before about their retail impact on the market, you should see some people selling their calls, right, monetizing and and kind of defending. So the hedging piece isn't necessarily changing, but the speculative piece is kind of staying in place. And so that connotes a little bit of a little bit of you know, uh, just a little bit of apathy, a little bit of complacency, and the implied correlation because of these because of because of the dispersion trade, which sells options on the S and P and buys vow on the single stocks, is really pushing the vics down, I think, to areas that are probably a little low for where the macro risks and the FED risks still are. So it's a position that I think kind of warrants. Okay, the market can be wrong for longer than I can be right, so you need to participate. But I think investors should be aware that you know, there's still you know, there's still a relatively tight thread, a tight needle that we have to thread here, and and you know we still have some concerns.
Speaker 2: Alright, So last question and then we'll wrap up. You just spoke about a whole host of things with Ward's, the FED and the economy. So I guess, like what is the primary risk? You see, this is going to kind of be a two parter, like from any economic standpoint, from the FED cutting rates, like are you most concerned with inflation? Are you most concerned with the unemployment? Job market? Are you work concerned with productivity? Which I guess goes to the job market. The other thing you mentioned is the housing market is frozen, and Trump and everyone is talking about lowering rates. But if you look back to the last time the FED lowered rates, the tenure actually went up and the mortgage rates market actually went up. So is that actually going to solve things? And then like after that part, like of all those things, what is the primary risk the stock market? There's a huge talk about like the stock market is not the economy anymore. It's kind of become disassociated in some ways. Do you agree with that, Like, can you just talk about the primary risk you're seeing from both an economic point of view and a stock point of view.
Speaker 3: I look, I think those are great questions. You know, the American excellency is is is still in place. It's taken a bit of a hit because of some policy uncertainty. I think it's also taking a bit of a hit because the fiscal the fiscal house is not in as good as shape. The debt, you know, the the the debt to GDB ratios do cause some concern. And part of the reason why the US dock market has really always been supreme basically, and it's hard for people to understand this is that the Fed's backstop and the US Treasury's backstop as the global financial system. You know, asset of choice have been rock solid, and so you know, the FED couldn't have dropped rates as much as they have several times in our last several crises unless there was tremendous uptake and desire to hold US treasuries. You know, you can't drop rates like that as a central bank if no one wants your paper, because we don't finance ourselves completely domestically, right, So the question here really is is you know, the US the put here, the FED put really depends on a sound fiscal situation. Now, the last auctions there were a couple in early August, you know that weren't perfect, but for the most part, the bid, the cover ratio and the amount that's been hit you know, having to be taken by dealers has been manageable. But you know, you don't want to get to the place where people are concerned about your credit rating, where people are concerned to the place where it affects the uptaking your auctions, because if that occurs, more meaningful and we're not at that level now. But that's the concern here that you don't impugne policy and the importance of the US the preeminence of the US Treasury in the auction process, because that would in fact handcuff the FED. And so when you see the long end, you know, kind of steepen on some of these pieces of news, it gives you a sense, okay, with the inflation issue. The inflation issue is still here, and the treasury risk premium is coming back. What we want is the treasury risk premium to be as low as possible and not handcuffed the FED. But there's also a natural equilibrium that productivity seems to be high, and the natural demographic and supply chain dis globalization issues seem to be raising the natural rate of inflation. So all those things give you a much narrower band of where rates can be, and pees you assume some drop in rates here, and pees assume some improvement to earnings. That do have a productivity dependency, and with lower educational inputs to our productivity, more of these productivity inputs are dependent on AI and all these software innovations. Usually this kind of productivity takes three, four or five years to fully be felt. We're still in the investment phase of Productivit is that going to be seen in a quicker timeframe. Because of the nature of the disruptive nature of AI. I have a sense that that part of it's correct, but I think more of it depends on interest rates than the market may want to acknowledge, and so squaring that circle is actually the risk. James, are we going to be in a place where the FED is more handcuffed than we'd like to admit. That's why I think when you look at the vic's futures contracts, the front end has dropped noticeably into the fifteen range. But if you look from a month ago and you look at October, November, December, you still see very high levels for the VIX futures curve. And that tells me smart money understands that that threading of that needle is not as easy as implied correlations as the current you know, cash level of the VIX would would would signal.
Speaker 1: Well, this is great. Unfortunately we have to end here. Thank you again our name for joining us. It's been my pleasure and great meeting you, James.
Speaker 2: Good seeing you again, David, wonderful to me was well, our name, This was fun. That last part was my favorite part. I think the macro topics.
Speaker 1: And James, thank you for being my co host today.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: David and I.
Speaker 1: Want to thank our listeners. If you liked the episode, please subscribe and leave a review. Also, if you'd like to see more of our research, go to bifund go and bi Stocks Go on the terminal until our next episode. This is David Cohne with Inside Active