Speaker 1: Welcome in Tumble Bears Weekly, a Chicago Bears Network production download the Chicago Bears Official Act, brought to you by Verizon to follow the team on the go. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical Therapy, Beck Rivers, CD Telling, Connie's Pizza Fight, GIS Energy and Miller Life.
Speaker 2: Kier are your hosts.
Speaker 1: Jeff Chilheac aka the Mayor of Bearsville and his sidekicked term the surf Faster Thinger.
Speaker 3: Much to discuss.
Speaker 4: We've got the post super Bowl wrap up, the Hall of Fame announcements now official, and the Bears dig into free agency and the draft. Welcome into another edition of Bears Weekly with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer and Jim Metal from Serious x MNFL Radios, moving with the chains, the ex Bear quarterback. We've got our helpers, of course, in the studio at ESPN one thousand and our producers Jordan tread Up and Dan Brilly from the Bears and the executive producer of the Bears Ready Network, Eric Ostrowski.
Speaker 3: Tell us how we doing.
Speaker 4: Jimmy survived, You've been traveling stop, You've sprotted wings, You've been flying all over America.
Speaker 3: How did you survive Vegas?
Speaker 5: I'll tell you what. I thought they did a great job. Obviously, they had about three hundred thousand fans come in for the game, and I thought overall for the NFL, you know that these numbers continued to go up. It was the most viewed super Bowl, and I think the NFL did it without a hit, without a hitch. I think it's kind of a dot com bubble that just doesn't seem to burst. But as for the game, the game was incredible, and I thought to go to overtime, and obviously Patrick Mahomes doing Patrick Mahomes things had to be pretty frustrating for the San Francisco forty nine ers.
Speaker 6: It was the second smallest crowds and Super Bowl one at a little bit over sixty one thousand people. So the reason that the viewing audience is so big is because they didn't have the seventy five thousand seat you know, eighty thousand seat you know stadium that they probably would have sold out equally as easy.
Speaker 4: Everybody's got different opinions and how it was going to play out and what did play out ultimately, and you know, maybe I'm wrong. But you know, you keep talking about you got to have special quarterback and I know I said that on our podcast this week with Tommy Jimmy, But you know, you also got a factor in the defensive quotion here, and Steve Spagnolo did an unbelievable job throughout the entire postseason and now the most decorated defensive coordinator in terms of Super Bowls and wins in the NFL history, and that's Steve Spagnolo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was tremendous. You know, they were probably the most consistent defense throughout the regular season and then got even better in the postseason. During the year, they were only giving up seventeen point three points a game, and I think we know why. Their offense was kind of a struggle to get going. So the defense somewhat carried Kansas City. And then through the postseason, as I mentioned, you're facing the best of the best, and they're on the road the entire time, they actually got better. They were only giving up fifteen point eight points a game. That includes on the Super Bowl as well. So and they're the youngest defense in the league. Think about that. They average twenty five years of age, and so that's a credit to Steve to be able to communicate to a lot of young players who they had four rookies that started on that defense a season ago in the Super Bowl, and how they really carried it over. So really a fine job by Steve Spagnolo.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you know, the one.
Speaker 6: Thing about that, Jim Man, Jeff, is that if the forty nine ers don't fumble on the first series of the game, and say they just score three points out of that possibly seven, then they get the extra point block. If they go down and they score that first series, then you got Spagnola thinking about, okay, is my plan right or else? It gives the opportunity for San Francisco defensive coordinator Steve Wilkes to be way more aggressive in those first series if you're playing on a lead. So there's a lot of different moments in time that you know, could change the thinking process of the coaching And I do like what the Spagnola did. Man, the guy's really a great defensive coordinator. However, when you have plays like that that take away scoring opportunities, and when you think about the game was one by three and you left at least minimum four on the field, it could have been a different outcome if it was a perfectly played game by both teams.
Speaker 4: Jim, Andy Reid, You've spent many hours talking to him over the course of his career. When you add it all up, and he's been to the big Game several times now, but it took him twenty years to actually win a Super Bowl, and it just emphasizes how hard it is to win this game. Everybody says, oh, you know, you want to compete for a Super Bowl, and that all sounds good, but everything has to come together.
Speaker 3: We all know that. To me, you know, you.
Speaker 4: Could talk about all the other sports, but this one because of the threat of injury at every turn, on every single snap. How do you put that in a frame and explain his career, Andy Reid.
Speaker 5: I think he's always been good really assembling a good roster, you know. I think even if you go back in Philadelphia, you know, five times they were in the NFC Championship game. Yes, they only went to one Super Bowl, which they lost to the New England Patriots. But you know, to even get that far, to have that many cracks at having an opportunity to get to the Super Bowl. And I think the key in that is one you've got to have good rosters offense, defense, and special teams. He's always had good offensive lines, he's always had good defenses. Think of the great Jim Johnson that was his defensive coordinator in Philadelphia, and now he had Spagnolo who's been with him five years in Kansas City. And I think he's got a great idea in mind to identify his quarterback. Think about what he learned in Green Bay coaching Brett Fharr. He goes to Philadelphia, he brings Doug Peterson with him, and right away he drafts Donovan McNabb. Then when he leaves Philadelphia he goes to Kansas City. He identified the quarterback and that was to trade and get Alex Smith. And now when he's got Alex Smith, he has the foresight to trade up in the draft because he identified that Patrick Mahomes was such a talent that they identified him and then the drafted Patrick Mahomes cultivated him the right way. He sat for a year and Alex Smith played. But I think he's really got a good idea of the quarterback that you need with the style of offense that he wants to run. But offensively, he's always been good at identifying his QB, and he's got a good one.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I think one thing about Andy Reid.
Speaker 6: I think it's more amazing than the fact that he was an offensive tackle in college and then he's by you know, known probably by a whole generation that don't realize that he was an offensive tackle, but being raised in the novel Edwards system at BYU and playing around a quarterback in college like Jim McMahon who left college was seventy two records and how successful they were and the Mountain West back in the day that he's he's had an understanding of the importance of the development of the quarterback position while he was an offensive tackle, and I really don't see a lot of other guys that have had that growth potential to that position that didn't play quarterback itself.
Speaker 4: Many ways to skin a cat, but I'll tell you there's only a few ways to win a Super Bowl, and you gotta have certain elements, and we can discuss you.
Speaker 3: Gotta have a quarterback, no question about that. We'll discuss more.
Speaker 4: Brad Spielberger coming up from Pro Football Focus to look at the Bears at the draft, free agency and where they're poised to strike. Here on Bears Weekly on ESPN Chicago and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You were tuned into Bears Weekly with Jeff Jonyak on the Bears Radio Network. This is Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jonyak on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 4: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by IGS Energy. Jeff Joniak along with Tom Payer, Jim Miller from Serious X and MNFL Radio is moving the chain and Brad Spielberger joining.
Speaker 3: Us from Pro Football Focus.
Speaker 4: He's been with us before, Glad, you rejoined us because guess what, here we are again. I thought last offseason was going to be the off season of the Bears. Constant conversation. That turned out to be the case with the big trade, and here we are again, Brad. I mean, this is something we have just been talking while we were waiting for you, and it's just constant conversation what they gonna do and from the inside walls of Pro Football Focus.
Speaker 3: And you back from Vegas at the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: What are you hearing?
Speaker 3: What are you thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: No, it's funny, Like you said, we had this exact same conversation last year, the Bears controlling the draft at number one. I think this time is different though. I think you are already going to see the Bears take a quarterback at first. Overall, we'll see who that quarterback is. I know everyone is talking about Caleb Williams, but that is a consensus when you talk to people around the league as well in Vegas, which you can tell from my voice. I was just in Vegas. That's what everyone expects to happen. And I think you trade fields, get some draft compensation there, try to get some receiver talent, some trench talent on.
Speaker 7: Both sides of the ball.
Speaker 8: And this is the off seas of the Bears, and then we're done having this conversation about you know what the Bears do it first overall.
Speaker 6: Hey, Brad, you know a subject that I haven't heard addressed once so far this offseason. And when you think of the finances and you think of the depth of a position, where does.
Speaker 7: Beijing fit into the discussion? Do you have to have?
Speaker 6: You know, I don't want to see him go spend a lot of money on a quarterback just because he's a veteran.
Speaker 7: And now how does he fit into this? And your thinking in the quarterback position.
Speaker 8: It's a good question, yeah right, because in theory, you say, hey, a lot of teams want to have that veteran leader for the quarterback. He said, well, do you want to move on from a really good undrafted free agent that has probably proven he can be at least a backup in this league? And if you you know, you're not going to carry three quarterbacks, most likely if you did wave him or something like that, try to get on the practice squad, someone probably would pick him up. So it's a very good question, you know. I think maybe they're just trying to build this coaching staff nucleus with all these you know, guys from the quarterback Collective, which is where kill.
Speaker 7: Williams is training right now now.
Speaker 8: Shane Waldron's been involved there, some of the other coaches they brought in Carry Joseph some others have been involved there as well. So maybe they're not going to have that veteran presence maybe, you know, I know, it's been very very common. We hear that it's helpful. It also doesn't guarantee you success. As Bears fans can attest having any Dalton or Nick Foles or whoever hasn't guaranteed anything in the past.
Speaker 5: Well, Brad Jim Miller here and if they do go quarterback one, as you suggest other areas of needs that you've targeted for the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 8: Yeah, for me, a wide receiver is the next need. You know, it's great to get Dj Moore. You have a clear cut bona fide number one. I don't really think Darnold Mooney is a Bear in twenty twenty four. I'm not saying I would would't welcome him back, but I just don't see it folding.
Speaker 7: Out that way.
Speaker 8: And I think they are sitting there at nine hoping that one of Molik Neighbors from LSU or rom A Dounza from Washington are available at nine. I think Dounsday's probably more likely. I really think Neighbors and Marvin Harrison Junior are going to be top five, top seven picks. But a donsay they're really special talent big you know, good of the contested catch player, good route runner, late hands, late separations, a lot of the nuance of playing wide receiver does very very well. I think we'll hit the ground running immediately. And then second for me is more defensive line help. Whether that's on the interior of three tech to kind of move Dravon Dexter around, making more of a one technique or another edge rusher opposite of Montes Sweat. I think that's where I'm looking if I'm the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 4: Brat Spieldberger, our guest here on AESPN one thousand of the Bears radio network, Jeff and Tom and Jim Miller from Serious x MNFL Radios moving the chain. So with that said, we're always focused on the big prize of quarterbacks in the draft, but we got free agency before that. Where do you see the Bears sitting in terms of being poised to strike? They have salary cap space. Again, maybe more will be created here in the coming weeks, But that's the most obvious attention at the moment is what they might do in free agency. And I know you dip into that quite a bit as well. Where are they cap wise and how do you see things?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they're healthy on the cap and they do have more moves they could make to clear extra room. I think they'll again kind of be like quietly aggressive. As Ryan Poles has mentioned, pick your spots. Maybe had certain players like at Tremaine Edmonds, you make a bigger splash, but more so kind of just filling out starters. I think for me, center is the number one choice here. There's a ton of center talent available. It also helps that two guys in Evan Brown who started for Seattle this year, and then Coleman Shelton who played for the Rams with Shane Waldron. So two guys that ran Shane Waldron's offense, you know, are available at center. That could We talked about having that veteran quarterback. Having a veteran center that knows the offensive coordinators offense would also help this hypothetical rookie quarterback quite a bit.
Speaker 7: So I go there.
Speaker 8: I look at Bryce Off with the New York Jets is an edge rusher. If you want to add a pure one on one pass rush winner opposite of Montes Sweat. I look at Bryce Off and then the interior of that defensive line. There's so much talent there. The big name like a Justin Metta Bik from Baltimore, Christian Wilkins from Miami had a really good year, or even further down a list like a tight Year Tart from Tennessee or a Grover Stewart from overrun stuff from Indy. There's there's a ton of names there. So, like I said, trenches, trenches, trenches.
Speaker 7: You know, Brad.
Speaker 6: Just to continue the narrative about the defensive line, you think about what Chase Young and Montes Sweat did during the regular season last year and by moving to new teams, and then you think of this year, a guy like Chris Jones or Daneil Hunter. Are those guys beyond their peak and on the downside, even though Chris Jones I think as a heck of a player and Danielle Hunter is a guy.
Speaker 7: That's in the division, are those two.
Speaker 6: Guys that you can still identify as players that come in and be first ay starters and immediate help.
Speaker 8: I really don't think Chris Jones is done, you know, ascending. It's remarkable how good he's in the last couple of years. But also you see the kids see now lotning him up as a seven tech, you know, edge rusher, and he's winning against good tackles, like bending the corner, flattening his art, getting to the quarterback. It's what he's able to do at six five, three hundred is truly incredible. So I wouldn't be opposed to it obviously. That's you know, it's my number one free agent in the entire offseason, you know, among all teams. But far be it from me to be against adding Chris Jones Steel Hunter. I think to a degree you probably could make that argument. Still a very very good player, the Vikings led the NFL and Blitz right by a staggering margin, and so his sack numbers are a little bit inflated to where they're always bringing extra bodies. He's obviously still a phenomenal football player, but yeah, per PFF's metrics and all that pass rush, win rate, pressure rate, some of those numbers, he's not quite as dominant on a you know, per play basis by himself. But again, I would not be opposed to ring indidn't Hunter.
Speaker 5: Final one for me? Brad Is I would assume if they can't get a long term deal done with Jalen Johnson, they would probably put the franchise tag on him. But you know, we'll see where that goes. But if they were to lose Jalen Johnson, what other corners out there in free agency on DC? If they do elect to move on from I think he's a blue chip player. I really like the year he's at.
Speaker 2: I do too.
Speaker 8: I'm not even twenty five years old yet, so I think the number one target there would be a guy you saw play on Sunday Night, and that's Lugerious Neat and those two are by far the best corners available in free agency. Seems a little bit older, but he has the inside, outside versatility. You know, played outside this year for the first time for a majority, Sticky in coverage, very physical. I know we did have the penalty in the Super Bowl, but I love about him as normally he gets the offensive player to take a penalty. He keeps his composure, so he's competitor. He's a talker and just a really really good player. Down the board, there's some more kind of value options, but I'm with you, and I think Ryan Poles agrees with us.
Speaker 7: They got to do whatever they can to keep you.
Speaker 3: Allen Johnson, Yeah, no question.
Speaker 4: He really did spark and I love the age part of it. Twenty five that's the wheelhouse for me. My gosh, if you can get a twenty five signed up, you're in good shape.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: We're going to wrap up here, and we appreciate your time. What did we learn from the Super Bowl, regardless of who won or not, that will echo in throughout the rest of twenty twenty four throughout this league.
Speaker 8: Do you think, Yeah, I think it's a continued lesson, but really an exclamation point just on the value you have interior pass rush and you don't have to necessarily have you know, these incredible tackles, incredible edge rushers, you of course want them, but you look at this game and San frans Interier offensive line kind of got bullied and that's why Rock Purty was either under siege and throwing the ball away or not able to get the ball out at all. And Kansas City didn't really have much off of the edge, you know, with an injury to Charles Amene who they just couldn't really win there. So I think that's just the continued stories. If you can collapse the pocket, and the fastest path to the quarterback is you know, a straight line from point A to point B. So I think more you know players like that in this draft class, maybe a little bit earlier. I think you're gonna see more and more investment on those freakish three techniques that another Bears are looking for far.
Speaker 4: And wide at ten year NFL guard just snickered here on our zoom call, tut there about the quickest path to a quarterback. He took exception to that one, didn't you tell me?
Speaker 7: Now, it's the fact of the matter.
Speaker 6: You know, I've been d down Street that's resulted in a sack.
Speaker 7: But I know the importance of interior play.
Speaker 6: And you think about the Bears with Tavin Jenkins and Nate Davis.
Speaker 7: Are you confident or concerned?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 6: And you talk about the center position already, so you know it's you know, that's three positions that you have to take in, you know, into your thinking process going through free agency in the draft.
Speaker 7: No, that's the good counter as well. Those guys matter a ton too.
Speaker 8: The guard market has exploded, and it should have because defending those guys defending Yeah, there you gow you like that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little past this time, we just talked about salaries in the NFL, and it's crazy what what even backup quarterbacks are earning compared to what a ten year NFL guard who never missed a game made back in his day. Anyway, Brad, we appreciate the time. Hope to have you on again. You have a lot of knowledge and you just banged it out. Loved it, appreciate it, Thank you, Thank you so much. Back with Mar with Jim and Tom.
Speaker 1: After this, you were tuned into Bears Weekly with Jeff Joniac on the Bears Radio Network. Is Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years Jeff on the Bears Network.
Speaker 4: Want VIP access to every Bears home game, exclusive seating, sideline credentials and more are now available. Get the ultimate VIP fan packaged this season by visiting Chicago Bears vip dot Com. Jeff Joniac, Jim Miller, Tom Thayer Here on Bears Weekly out ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network. There is no franchise in the National Football League with more Hall of famers and more added to the bunch. After the addition of Steve McMichael, the great and legendary defensive tackle of the Chicago Bears, and Devin Hester, the all time leader in funt return touchdowns and by far the number one return man in NFL history, had a chance to visit with him after the announcements and get his thoughts. Devin, good to see you and congratulations. First and foremost, I know, it's been a long wait, and the obvious question is how does it feel to be a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 9: I mean it, it feels great, you know, this morning waking up to all the table, the whole night of trying to ignore all the text messages and all the phone calls. Man, it was a great honor to wake up this morning to really officially say that I am twenty twenty four Class Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna take this in steps. Tell me how you found out Edri and James showed up at your house.
Speaker 2: You guys are gonna be going driving cars, right his old cars? Yeah.
Speaker 9: So edgend called me about a week prior and was saying, Hey, Die, I be in town. You want to get up and go ride the old schools a little bit right around town, go grab some lunch, breakfast, whatever. And I was like fine, And so we planned for Thursday around about ten o'clock, and So gave me a text message let me know the night before the Hey, I be around there. Make sure you have your car clean. So I'm up cleaning the car late that night, trying to get ready for tomorrow. He came pulled up at the house and I didn't get the knock. I got the horn, so he beat the horn. And when as he beating the horn, I you know, ran to the door and just seeing all the camera guys and Edge James with his Hall of Fame jacket on, and that's when I knew it was official.
Speaker 2: Do you remember how you felt that in that instant?
Speaker 9: Most definitely? Man, it was it was like, as I was going to the door, that's when it really hit me and I seen the camera guys racing to the front door, and it was like, wow, man, like it's all said and done, Like it's finally here.
Speaker 2: Devin, who was the first person you called?
Speaker 9: So the first person I called was my mom. And when I called, I let her know, Hey, Mom, I have some news to tell you. And I was like, Mom, you know, out of all the women in the world that have sons that played the game of football, I can just sit here and tell you today that you were the three hundred and seventy fourth mother, Like they said that son is a Hall of Famer, And she just busted out crying and yeahing and stuff, and it was just it was overwhelming.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming you cried as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I cried a couple of times.
Speaker 9: I actually cried this morning as I was scrolling looking at the text message and stuff like that, And of course I hopped on Instagram and the first first thing that popped up was my son and he's home now in Orlando, and he posted a picture of me in the Hall of Fame, and then the song that he put on it. It was just a testimonment how grateful he was that I was his father, you know what I mean, the way I opened up the opportunity for him.
Speaker 4: You know, that's a great point, Devin, because not every Hall of Famer has been.
Speaker 2: Able to share with their own children.
Speaker 4: Some have passed on already and were posthumously honored. How important is it that your kids, at their age right now are watching this unfold for you?
Speaker 9: It's very important because me as a father, I always wanted to set a good role be a good role model to them, and to have them to be able to say, you know what, my father is a great role model and someone's look I can look up too, and everything that he does, he tries to make sure that it's the best and it's the right decision. So I leave a great platform for those guys, because I know eventually, one day I won't be here, and the moment that happens, you know what I mean. I hope that the foundation that I built for my three boards, that they will be able to continue the legacy, and you know, in the name and to say that one day, you know what I mean, with their kids and their kids that you know, you guys know that your grandfather was a great person on and off the field, as well as the Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: Back in September, you and I spoke at your home in Orlando and we talked about the fact that you were not a first round draft choice, you are not a first ballot Hall of Famer, which was upsetting to you.
Speaker 2: But now you're the.
Speaker 4: First return specialist in the Hall of Fame. So as you look back at all those emotions and now where you're at, how would you frame it?
Speaker 2: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 9: I feel, you know, I feel blessed. And when I sit back and I look at it, when you go down the list of not being a first rounder, not being the Hall I'm in a first round, and not being a first ballot Hall of Famer, But then I look back and you know what I mean, you think about the position that I'm in right now, and it's probably about I can't. I don't even think it's more than one person that can really say. Besides, right now my situation that a I'm a Hall of Famer, but I'm the number one Hall of Famer in my category and my position as a Hall of Famer. When you look at everybody else, it could be an argument, you know what I mean, who's the best quarterback, who's the best running back, receive, a defensive back, linebacker. But to sit in my position, and it's a specially unique situation where I can only say that I'm the best to ever do it. When it comes to kickoff and part return, I'm the number one kickoff and partment returner in the world. And it's a fact right now.
Speaker 4: So you're going in with other Bear ties Steve McMichael, the legendary defensive tackle, and Julius Peppers who played four years.
Speaker 2: With the Bears.
Speaker 4: How important is that as well to you? As this summer is going to be a summer of Navy blue and orange.
Speaker 9: Hopefully man that they see this trend, man and they make sure that we have this game be the Bears have to play in this game. You know what I mean, This is a no brainer, you know what I mean. I don't know who the other team we may play again, but the fans have to be out and be able to see this game in Canton and to be able to sit and witness three great legends that came through the city of Chicago and to be honored us three guys as a NFL Hall of Fame that actually played for Chicago Bears. That is, that is the moment that the city of Chicago needs right now.
Speaker 4: When you walk down of the stage at honors and the curtain came up to present the Hall of Fame Class of twenty twenty four and your name was announced, can you tell.
Speaker 2: Me what your emotions were like?
Speaker 4: What was going through your head when you walked out there with all those guys?
Speaker 9: It was, it was, it was. It's so hard to descrive it, you know, because you know, as a kid growing up, we don't think about when you when you eight ninety ten years old, you don't think about the Hall of Fame as a kid. You know, you think about what high school I'm gonna play for, what Pop wanted team? You know what I mean? And then maybe what college I'm playing for, and so to look further down in the future and to say that whow you know what I mean, those courages open up like this is the best award and pretty much the last award you can honestly get playing football. Is no other awards I feel like you can achieve, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 9: The end of the road. This is like playing Super Mario and you being King Coopan and you jumping on the flag. It's no more plans. It's pretty much over. And that's how That's pretty much how it is.
Speaker 4: There's also some special teammates, and you played with a bunch, but you know the names that pop into my head that were on those returns with you blocking for you, you know they pop up from Israeli Donna Jay to Charles Tillman to Riskshid Jason McKee.
Speaker 2: I'm missing guys, but a piece of them are.
Speaker 4: Going in with you to the Hall of Fame. And I know they realize it and they have pride in it. What would you say to those gentlemen and the coach Dave Toad and the general manager Jerry Andrelo and coach love E.
Speaker 2: Smith, and that whole group.
Speaker 9: So, Man, that whole organization on DWN, from love Smith and Jerry to coach Dave told Man, I appreciate the opportunity of jumping out on the limb. I know it was a big hesitant about me in the draft, and like you said, this kid here great talent, but doesn't have a locked position. And to really really take that chance and pull that trigger in and draft me was a great honor. And I'm hopefully that I made them proud for the decision that they made. You know, some draft picks, you know, some of some of the coaches that the GMS could be scratching their head right now four or five years from now, saying why did we pick this guy? So I'm hoping that I made them proud and as well as the city and to go down to all my teammates and to sit back and say, wow, you know what I mean, This was a team effort thing. And I know at the end of the day, none of these were returns up in Chicago or just end of the accolades of the awards wouldn't be possible without those guys at the end of the day, Man, and and I just loved that I was had an opportunity to play on a team like that where special team wise, we really really took special team series and we valued it and we made sure that this was a key three phase of our our system and our team. Oh yeah, and most definitely, Man, I wanted to give a shout out to Mark Tudaski, man, because I know the story of Mark and what happened during the draft day in the room, and Man, I know that this guy here was was probably about getting a fight with three four guys in the draft room, man, and for them guys to go ahead and say, hey, man, this is your draft pick. We go we this this is gonna fall on you, man, And I'm hoping that man. Listen, I made moren't proud as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark Sadowski for sure. Well you're very respected.
Speaker 4: Young players want to be you, Young players want to play like you, and young people want to be where you are right now. Congratulations very much, Pro Football Hall of Famer Class of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Devin pre say so much.
Speaker 9: Appreciate too so much, Jeff for all the amazing lyrics and just going crazy in the boot man. And I was telling everybody this morning, I say, man, whenever I hear you talking or yelling, I feel like you're talking about me.
Speaker 2: Well, you gave me a lot to describe.
Speaker 4: I took it as a challenge every single time you touch the football. And as much as those guys got up off the bench to watch you, you got to imagine what I had been going through because I had to capture that moment.
Speaker 2: I captured all but one. All but one.
Speaker 4: I'll take it. Man, you really you help put me on the map too. So I appreciate you, and I love you.
Speaker 2: Brother.
Speaker 7: I love you too.
Speaker 4: Jeff Man heartfelt from Hester, heartfelt from me to Devin as well. Along with Steve McMichael and Julius Peppers, who spent four years with the Bears, including the twenty ten NFC Championship game, all will be inducted this summer August in Kanton, Ohio. The likelihood that the Bears would get the Hall of Fame game as well.
Speaker 3: Well return with Jim Miller and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 4: After this on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You were listening to Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network. This is Bears Weekly with the Voice of the Bears for twenty three years. Jeff Jonyaik on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 4: Segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by Athletico Physical Therapy. Visit Athletico dot com to request an in clinic or virtual appointment and start feeling better tomorrow. Jeff Joniak along with Tom Thayer and Jim Miller from Serious x MNFL Radio's Moving. I just heard from Devin Hester the Hall of Famer our interview last week, and let's dip into that because Steve McMichael, Devin Hester, we talked about the likelihood they were going.
Speaker 3: In and our last show last week.
Speaker 4: Now we know they're headed to Canton in the summer along with Julius Pepper's the four year Bear. Jim the Hall of Fame class in general, what did you think of it? What will this potentially do in some weird way when they get together to talk about kick return in the NFL owners meetings coming up in March, Because it was a real bummer again not one kick return in the Super Bowl touchback City and it just is a play. These guys are running down the field taking win sprints. I don't get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it's become an inconsequential play. So I'm with you there. I do think they are going to address it the Competition Committee. You know, they may implement. Well, now it's called the UFL. Obviously the XFL has merged to create the UFL. But the XFL used a unique kickoff return and it did invite kick returners. So basically, the back line would be moved to like the fifteen yard line and the coverage team would be about on the twenty five yard line, so there's only basically ten yards where they'd be able to get to kickoff covers. The kickers would be in his normal spot where he kicks, but the coverage team can't start going till the returner catches the ball. So it does encourage kick returns. I talked to who is an Anthony backed. He coached the Saint Louis BattleHawks, and he thought it was a very effective way to you know, let's not take the foot out of football. Where they did have returns. It was an exciting play where you could have a kickoff returns. Otherwise you'll never see a Devin Hester again. I mean you just you won't see it. Teams won't invest in their kick return a coverage game and then they'll they'll move on again. The statistics are probably going to drive it. As for the Hall of Fame, I know we're splitting hairs here. I thought Antonio Gates was going to get in. I really did. And that's no offense to Patrick Willis. But I look at Patrick Willis somewhat like Terrell Davis of the Denver Broncos. Right, Patrick Willis had a shortened career and he did you know, he would have an opportunity to make the Hall. But Terrell Davis had to take a little bit of a wait before he got in because of his shortened career. That's why he didn't get in so early. So I thought Antonio Gates was going to get in, but didn't happen. Hopefully it'll happen the next time. And the only other one I thought Tory Holt. You know, obviously Johnson made it in for the Houston Texas, but there's a log jam at the receiver position, and I just thought maybe Tory Holt would would have had an opportunity to creep in there. But again we're splitting Harris. They're all great players.
Speaker 6: Ye you know, I like say one thing about the kickoff return because the traditional kickoff return that we.
Speaker 7: All known throughout the history of the NFL, it's.
Speaker 6: One of the most difficult designed plays in all of offensive football because the length of requirement of assignment in the traditional kickoff return is difficult and guys are never committed to their lanes where you can count on. The guy you're counting out at the start of the return is the guy that you're going to block at the end of the return. But the way that the USFL UFL have changed the kickoff coverage design, I think there's more designable returns when you have that distance of personnel. So I think it can be more creative on the kickoff return if they did have that shorter distance between the defenders coming down and the offensive players waiting for the ball to return. So I think it is an exciting and not listen man, I'm a traditionalist from wayback, but what the examples I saw on the field, I think it is something that needs to be explored to keep that exciting play in the game.
Speaker 4: I just want the third phase to still be the third phase completely. It's how you build rosters. It's part of the process and the challenge of building a roster that includes your kickoff coverage and your kick return team, and the unit is you know guys that can do more than just one thing, and otherwise.
Speaker 3: You're going to be eliminate.
Speaker 4: You are already threatening to eliminate the running back position in a weird way, and you're going to threaten to eliminate even more jobs in the return game.
Speaker 3: I just I find it odd. I just do well, Look, it's not.
Speaker 5: Don't even invest teams, don't even invest in returners anymore. Jovin Hester, obviously, the Bears invested in him. Think of the Cleveland Browns when they had Joshua Cribbs they invested in him. Or Kansas City with Dante Hall. These guys were kick return specialists. And it is to me it's the most exciting play in football that will really get the fans at a stadium to jump out of their seats when you see one go the distance and take it to the house.
Speaker 4: So we heard Brad Spielberger earlier, I'll get your thoughts. Because the Bears right now have sixteen free agents. Two of them are josh Blackwell and Joe Reid, a wide receiver. There are excluded rights free agents, so they can retain. I hope they do retain blackwell, but I mean it's a small number. They had a lot of one year contracts again last year, and that's the process of rebuilding a roster to plug some holes. But I'm interested to where you guys are feeling about Justin Jones at defensive tackle. To have that rotational guy, he gives full effort. I like the way he plays. Would that be somebody you'd like to keep on the roster time We'll start with you.
Speaker 7: Well, I'd have.
Speaker 6: To see what is my feelings on the future development of Zach Pickens and Javon Dexter Junior, a couple of guys that they brought in last year because now they're going to be considered veterans even though they're only in their second year.
Speaker 7: And is there another guy out there?
Speaker 6: And they did sign Billings and so is there another guy out there that gives me more explosiveness at the three technique defensive tackle. I have all the respect in the world for Justin Jones, the guy. I think he played better his second year than he did his first year once he got complimented by more.
Speaker 7: Concerned at the defensive end position.
Speaker 6: However, if I go out there and I can find a guy that has that extreme three technique explosiveness and wins the game of leverage, I will have to explore that. And I'm not it because Justin Jones listening, if you let him go, he's going to be signed in a minute. But if you find that guy that really fits what we all think is needed at that specific position, I have to investigate that opportunity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think price will dictate it, you know, And you know, I believe when you look at Brad he said to a guy like you know, say, like last year Javon Hargrave was was out there in free agency for the Philadelphi Eagles in San Francisco, signs him to a pretty big deal. And why maybe the Bears weren't involved in bringing in Hardgrave a year ago. And I think a guy like Justin Mattabuke, who had just a terrific year double digit SATs sacks, is an interior guy for the Baltimore Ravens will have to explore and see what the prices are out there for his services. I assume Baltimore is going to want him back, but you know, again, finances are going to dictate them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, franchise tags will be going out as well. All right, what type of receiver would you like to see the Bears add?
Speaker 3: Not a name, just the type. You know.
Speaker 6: The thing about it is is right now, I'm not infatuated with these six five receivers or that you know that height as a requirement, and it's probably because of DJ Moore. If you get a guy that has the ability to catch the ball in traffic, does willingness to go over the middle and make difficult catches in the red zone and in the end zone, that's what I'm looking for. Jim can address that more intelligently than I can.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think for production, I think they've they've got you know, good body types as it sits right now. But obviously with three guys being a free agent, that's an area that they're going to have to tap into. Obviously, like you said, productive route runner, very disciplined. But I want to see production a guy that can separate, get open, a discipline, a route runner where quarterback, no matter who it is, is going to have confidence to throw him the ball. And I think sometimes that wasn't always the case of this past year for the Chicago Bears and why DJ Moore kind of was the favorite and targeted so much. Obviously he's the best player. He's going to command that, but we need a number two to command that opposite Hid. No matter who it is. That the Bears sugned.
Speaker 4: Separation with physicality, That's what I'm looking at. The separation is the critical component. You got to run a perfect route and you got to do it every time and sell it like hell. All right, we're gonna step away. Our final segment coming up with Tom Thare Jimiller. I'm Jeff Joniak aran Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You were tuned into Bears Weekly with Jeff Joniak on the Bears Radio Network. This Bears Weekly with a voice of the Bears for twenty three years, Jeff Jona on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 4: This segment of Bears Weekly has brought to you by CDW. People to get it and get the ultimate VIP fan package this season by this at in Chicago Bears vip dot Com. Remaining moments with Jim and Tom. I'm Jeff Joniak here on the SB one thousand and the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: We touched on free agency.
Speaker 4: We wrapped up the Hall of Fame, but before we do just I don't know, Jim, if you had time to watch the nine and a half minute video that ESPN's one of their writers put together interviewing folks about Steve McMichael, it was a tear jerkerr I know, Tom and I both saw it.
Speaker 3: Tom's got his thoughts as well, but just.
Speaker 4: Grateful that he's he's alive, got the knowledge that he's in and hopefully he can make it to the summer in Canton there because that's the plan.
Speaker 3: That's the plan. But it was moving, man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I know, it's obviously very emotional. I've talked to his wife, Misty. She was out in Vegas as well, and we've done some things prior to going to going to Las Vegas to see the Super Bowl, and you know, this has been you know, obviously a goal, a goal that you know everybody wants to score and get across the finish line to get him at for that special moment in Canton. I know the Chicago Bears organization has stepped up. I know his former teammates have stepped up. Obviously. Misty's got a lot of friends and loved ones that want to see her accomplish this goal for Mongo McMichael as well, and hopefully everything will will work out exactly the way everybody wants it to. So, you know, he's well deserved to get into the Hall of Fame and hopefully he'll be there to really experience it.
Speaker 6: Listen, man, me is a guy that carries so much clout and respect in the in the weight room, in the locker room, in front of any coaches that he's ever been had a chance to talk to, how dedicated he is to making other guys better.
Speaker 7: And I think that's kind of one of the tribut you know.
Speaker 6: You know, a lot of guys aren't attributed to that so much as a guy like Steve McMichael, and you know, like Jim says, and we all think that he's he's earned the opportunity to be in the Hall of Fame because of commitment and results. And the only reason I feel bad about Steve getting in the Hall of Fame now is because I think twenty years ago he would have given one of the greatest speeches on the podium at Hall of Fame Weekend that you would have ever seen from any other player in the history of Hall of Famers. But I think the love and the dedication that the teammates have for Steve McMichael, it's evident and obvious by the train of people that go and continuously visit him.
Speaker 4: Kay Channel two did an interview with Bears President and CEO Kevin Warren this week. Just over a year ago, he came to the Bears and he talked about the quote decisions that will resonate over the next fifty years, and some of those decisions obviously surround a stadium, a new stadium, a dome stadium here in Chicago, or on any of the other properties that they're exploring, including what they own in the three hundred and twenty six acres in Arlington Heights. Tom will start with you, it's just an exciting time. He's building relationship with Mayor Johnson in the city. The staff's working tirelessly on this and we should be learning here, I would think in the short term what the plan is going to be. And he's putting full support also in building this team and giving Ryan Poles and his staff exactly what they need to get it done.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: As a Bears fan, priority number one is figuring out a way to get this team into the playoffs and deep into the playoffs and then.
Speaker 7: Compete for a Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: I think if anybody loses sight of that, then you know they don't really know what's important to sports franchise of any sport. Number two is being a lifelong Chicago Joliet, Chicago residents. And from the time I used to drive into the city and I used to see that stadium sit dormant for four months a year, it kind of frustrated me because you took in consideration what could be going on in there between February March, April into May and now which you think all the stadiums at all of us, Jim, you and Jeff and I we've been in all the stadiums around the NFL landscape, and you think of what the city is capable of bringing twelve months a year, not only eight months a year. So the vision and the insight and know what you think could happen in that stadium between Super Bowls and Big Ten championship games, in final fours and all the other things. The Dome stadium isn't obvious. And if it happens on the lake Front, I think that will benefit the city of Chicago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just think from that standpoint standpoint, they won't be shortsighted like they were last time, because I think we all agree, how great would Chicago be. You've got all the great restaurants, You've got the hotels that can accommodate fans coming in, just like what Las Vegas experiences past weekend. To make Chicago, the city of Chicago a show piece. Think of all that revenue that Tom just mentioned, Big Ten championship games, final fours. He's got to be multi purpose facilities that really you can generate revenue all year round. And what better place to really have that revenue infused into it than the city of Chicago. But first things first, as Tom mentioned, it's to get to you know, if you build a stadium. The NFL has quickly rewarded the cities that have built the new stadiums to host a Super Bowl. And what better city would be better to host a Super Bowl than the city of Chicago. They've got everything there to just be a great place to host one.
Speaker 4: All right, wrapping up combines coming up here a couple of weeks away, and this is one it gets real serious.
Speaker 3: Jimmy A.
Speaker 4: Lot to discuss. I mean, everybody's got their top one hundreds. And it's interesting because Dan Brugler from The Athletic, who I have a lot of respect for his new top one hundred. It is offensive heavy.
Speaker 5: I always believe this. I think need Trump's everything. Okay, you know I don't teams say, oh, we're here to take the best player available. But you know why are teams trading up to grab a quarterback because they need a quarter He and Carolina needed a quarterback. They traded up from nine to one because they didn't have a quarterback. So I personally believe need Trump's what the team is going to take. And so you know, you look at Houston last year. They needed a quarterback and they needed a pass rusher. Here they traded up so that they could get both both a quarterback and obviously Will Anderson who won the defensive Rookie of the Year. So I believe it's need and by that definition alone, it won't be just offensive dominated. If a team needs a defender, they'll justify, you know, making the selection and say, no, that's where we had him greater that Remember Tyson and Lululu who got drafted by the Jacksonville Jaguars. He went top ten and everybody's like, Oh, that's a reach, that's a reach. They needed a d tackle they take. They took Tyson a Lululu.
Speaker 3: Tom eight offensive linemen in his top twenty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, glad to see that because it's a it's a position of importance. But I both of you guys, and I blamed both of you guys for this. I used to love watching the Senior Ball and the Senior Bowl practices and then you kind of carry it through to the Combine. Now I'm so disappointed of what I've seen out of the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 7: And now I got to re see.
Speaker 6: The Combine because watching the quarterbacks throughout the week of practice at the Senior Ball, I didn't see anything in the game itself.
Speaker 7: So now even though you know it's the Combine, I need to go and re.
Speaker 6: See all the quarterbacks arm strength, decision making process, accuracy, the difficult passes that they make them throw repetitively. So disappointed in what the Senior Bowl showed me. Now it kind of reignites my interest in the Combine.
Speaker 3: But that's the definition of scouting. Why are you blaming Jimini. I don't get it.
Speaker 6: I'm blaming both of you guys for what reason the hand in broadcasting that game, and I spent hours throughout the course of the week watching and rewatching the practice.
Speaker 7: You see guys bailing in the midst of the game.
Speaker 2: Jim, I'm confused.
Speaker 3: I'm confused.
Speaker 5: Michael, Michael Panix was my first interview before kickoff. I was twisting his arm to get in there. I said, you had a great week, just don't play.
Speaker 4: Uh, well, we're gonna We're gonna have a lot of fun this offseason.
Speaker 3: I can guarantee you that.
Speaker 4: Boys, we gotta run. Jim, thank you as always. Take some time off now, just just leaven a day, just to regroup. Well, you even working.
Speaker 5: Hard when I'm not doing that, Jeff, I'm gonna reintroduce myself to my children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. We'll figure it out exactly. That's gonna do it for us.
Speaker 4: Appreciate all our help from our producers, and most of all you for listening. For Brad Spielberger from PFF, for Tom Thayer and Jim Miller.
Speaker 3: I'm Jeff Joniac. Have a good night, everybody. On the new radio home of the Chicago Bears ESPN Chicago.
Speaker 2: Good Night.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation. The Bears Weekly, hosted by the Mayra Bears, Bill, Jeff Junia, and Surfmaster Tom Thayer. Podcasts are available on the Chicago Bears Official Bears This Weekly has been brought to you by Apple Podcast bet Rivers, I Gens Energy and Miller Lite