Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth Dutz Saron Burnett over there just hanging out.
Speaker 3: I don't really want to know what you know, what's ridiculous? I do what I want?
Speaker 2: You sit down? Can you listen to this?
Speaker 3: I'm seated.
Speaker 2: It has to do with cocaine. One of your favorite topics, Uh, Brazil and sharks.
Speaker 3: Oh, we got this.
Speaker 2: From like a ton of people sent us these articles. Apparently researchers in Brazil. They went out and they caught thirteen sharks. That's not a big sample set, but whatever. All of them had high concentrations of unfiltered cocaine in their systems. The level of cocaine. The level of cocaine found in these sharks were reported to be as much as one hundred times higher than in previously observed marine.
Speaker 3: Life Sharknado four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's all these Brazilian sharks and it's like off the coast of Rheo Dejanio and apparently it's like in their watershed there. So what it tells me is a lot a lot of police busts were people are like, oh, we gotta flush it.
Speaker 3: That's what that tells you.
Speaker 2: And then it goes out into the water.
Speaker 3: It could work. Yeah, I'm into that.
Speaker 2: And it hasn't like metabolized or someone's system.
Speaker 3: That's true. That is true.
Speaker 2: So it's like the stuff that people flush because the cops are at the door. I'm with that, okay. And you know what, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: That is totally ridiculous. It is cocaine Bear. Four. Yes, Sharknado meets cocaine Bear.
Speaker 2: And then they fall in love with a hippo.
Speaker 3: With one of the cocaine. It's like, can't we all just be in love? And I was like, we all have coke, you know, so let's do this.
Speaker 2: It's just like a crazy coke fueled interspecies.
Speaker 3: Elizabeth, Yes, did you know this week is? Yes, not today, but this some point later this week will be August eighth. Sure you ad August eight?
Speaker 2: This it is the eighth day of August.
Speaker 3: Good job. It's also the fiftieth anniversary of the resignation of President Richard Nixon. Oh, which is the climax of one of my favorite crimes of all time. Well, Elizabeth, you're ready to hear the story of Richard Nixon and Watergate?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Am, I buckle up.
Speaker 4: Buttercum This is Ridiculous Crime, A podcast about absurd and outrageous capers.
Speaker 3: Heiss and cons. It's always ninety percent motor three and one percent ridiculous Nixon. Elizabeth, I imagine you know the basics about the Watergates Cammel.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Maybe most folks know that there was a break in at the Watergate Hotel. They know I had something to do with Richard Nixon and like either his re election campaign or if you know what bit more of the committee to re elect the president aka creep. Most folks have heard of Woodward and Bernstein, right, do you imagine? Do you think people know deep Throat?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think probably more than would know Woodward in Bernstein.
Speaker 3: You think, well, I mean, yeah, I don't know. That's why I'm asking you. I don't so, but I just want to tell you, Elizabeth, this story goes so much further, and it's so damn ridiculous. So I'm just gonna tell you all the highlights of Watergate Crime. Excellent, Okay, Now for research, I watched All the President's Men. That's all I did. Great, I watched it, and I'm kidding. I also watched that Oliver Stone movie Nixon. Okay, no, I didn't watch that one actually, but whatever thrill I know, right, I'm lying like my man Nixon, just right out the gate. So let's get into some American history. Yes on the morning of June eighteenth, nineteen seventy two, inside the Sunday morning edition of the Washington Post, there's this news story written by veteran crime reporter Alfred E. Lewis. The story runs on the front page. A little story, though, runs on the front page, and it says, quote, five men, one of whom said he is a former employee of the Central Intelligence Agency, were arrested at two thirty am yesterday and what authorities described as an elaborate plot to bug the officers of the Democratic National Committee here here being Washington DC. Yeah, that's not all, Elizabeth Old Vett reporter Alfred E. Lewis. He included particularly interesting revelations such as and I quote, police said the men had with them at least two sophisticated devices capable of picking up and transmitting oral and telephone conversations. In addition, police found lock picks and door Jimmy's also twenty three hundred dollars in cash, most of it in one hundred dollars bills with the serial numbers in sequence. The men also had with them one walkie tucky, a short wave receiver, forty rolls of unexposed film, and two thirty five millimeter cameras.
Speaker 2: And one of the guys is like, look, it's cool, I'm in the CIA. I thought they didn't go around telling people they were.
Speaker 3: One would think that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The men they all get a rando in court that same Saturday night, right down out, total down.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when asked what they do for a living, one of the five burglars he tells the judge that they are, quote, we're all anti communists.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: Judge's like, okay, Now, it turns out it's pretty much exactly true. It's one of the few times people are like, no, that's what I do for a living. I am an anti communist. Yeah. The five men were Edward Martin of New York. He was the recently retired CIA agent who is now a security consultant, and that was not his real name. His real name was James McCord. So there was also Frank Sturgis of Miami. He is a man who shows up in all sorts of things, like allegations about the GfK assassination anyway, former Cuban military intelligence officer. There is Uhennio R. Martinez of Miami, a licensed real estate agent and notary public in Florida.
Speaker 2: That's handy.
Speaker 3: There's Verhelio R. Gonzalez of Miami, described as quote a pro American anti Castro locksmith. And lastly there was Bernard L. Barker, also of Miami, whose wife set her husband told her to call his lawyer quote if he hadn't called her by three am, that it might mean he was in trouble Elizabeth. He was one hundred percent in trouble. So what happens next is this is the Watergate break in Elizabeth. Do you know the name G. Gordon Liddy?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I do? Yeah, right, I figured you do. He's a wild figure. And just to run through some of his bona fides if he will, as a spy guy. When he was just twenty nine years old, G. Gordon Lady became the youngest bureau chief for the FBI headquarters at Washington, DC.
Speaker 2: How old was he?
Speaker 3: Twenty nine? This brings him into Jay Hoover's whole realm. Right, he gets brought into the Hoover Inner Circle. He gets so close to Hoover he becomes his ghost rider ghost Ride the Whip.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now sixty two g Gordon Liddy. He leaves the FBI becomes a patent attorney for his father. Why it seems like there's a story there, like the FBI to go become a patent attorney. It's kind of like, Man, I'm not in a lawyer, but I think people they see that as like, oh, you just do the business of law.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting change of.
Speaker 3: It's not a challenging We'll just put it that way.
Speaker 2: Even challenger. No, it's it's just like a pretty big shift.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. Yeah. Anyway, So in nineteen sixty six he gets back into the business to fighting in the law, becomes a prosecutor in New York. That same year, he busts Timothy Leary in a drug raid. Then he goes and he busts Donald Fagan and Walter Becker in another drug raid. The two were students at the time at Bard College. Now the two would later form, obviously the band Steely Dan. Did you know they wrote a song about getting busted by G. Gordon Liddy?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, I make sure to not familiarize myself with the catalog.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I won't even tell you the song though, but they call him Daddy G and the lyrics. Anyways, all this busting dirty hippies.
Speaker 2: I'm with the late Steve Albini.
Speaker 3: I know you are, Yeah, Fan, I just threw it out there because I know you aren't. Anyway, the busting dirty hippies. It qualifies G. Gordon Liddy to help out Richard Nixon's nineteen sixty eight presidential campaign. I don't know, but that's how it goes. So Nixon wins in sixty eight, and this carries G. Gordon Liddy into the White House. So now he's put in charge of Well, we got to put him in charge of something. So what should we him in charge of? Well, we got that new sky Marshall program they have. G. Gordon Lyddy established the sky Marshall program.
Speaker 2: Oh well, well that's you know, because we had all those crazy talk about.
Speaker 3: The skyjacking, right, yeah, so he's the one they put in charge of fighting the whole trend of skyjacks.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, when you need to fight skyjackers, get a former patent line exactly.
Speaker 3: That's who everyone sees that. So at this point, now seventy one, right, G. Gordon Liddy, who is a lawyer, as I pointed out, he becomes the general counsel for the finance Committee for the group called the Committee to re elect the President. Okay, and that's the president being Nixon. Now on January twenty seventh, nineteen seventy two, G. Gordon Liddy has a big idea, Elizabeth. He tells his colleague John Erlickman, the chief aid to the President. That guy, he loves it. Oh, it's a great idea, Gordon. Now together they go on. They sell this big idea to the re election Committee's acting chairman, who is Jeb Stewart McGruder. Then they also tell this other guy who's the Attorney General of the United States, John Mitchell. Then they tell this other guy, the President's counsel, his personal lawyer, John Deane. They all love it, kind of right, someone like no, no, no, should we do this? But they're like, I don't know. They think about it. Now, what's the big idea, Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Oh, tell me the big idea that was.
Speaker 3: Let's play spy games like we used to remember Cold War when we were young. Let's break into the Democratic National Committee's office. We'll bug their offices, take some spy photos, look for dirt secrets, we sneak out. It'll be great.
Speaker 2: I love that. They're like, hmmm, I don't know, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think about it for half a second. They're like, we should totally do this one hundred percent on pro crimes. Let's do this, y yeah. So, according to White House counsel John Deane, he says this was quote the opening scene of the worst political scandal of the twentieth century and the beginning of the end of the Nixon presidency. Wait to go, g Gordon, lady. There it is so First that Attorney General John Mitchell he resigns his Attorney General of the US. Why why would he do this so that he can run the committee to re elect the president. Oh God, I don't get it myself, but that's what he did, right, g Gordon, Lady, he gets. But in charge of the off the books operation to do like you know, hijinks. Now, the other security experts they're also broad in. We have one James McCord, we mentioned him earlier. Then another one who's brought in is E. Howard Hunt. Okay, like we gotta talk about E. Howard Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: Let's see Gordon Howard.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you remember Howard down? I'm sure you've heard of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was the old school Cold War spies spy. Right. This guy served as an officer of the CIA from forty nine to seventy like Mexico City Bureau Chief when like Lee Harvey Oswald was allegedly around there. He's also there for the Coon Guatemala in fifty four. He's involved in the failed they have Pigs invasion in sixty one. The guy, he's just a highlight reel CIA stuff.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: If you dig into the assassination of JK, you'll find E. Howard hunt all over the place.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Oh.
Speaker 3: My goodness, Yes, I think I've told you about it. There's people who say they spotted him in a hotel room with Lee Harvey Oswald just days before the shooting in Dallas. Right, it was like, what was E. Howard how doing in Dallas? And you know, anyway, so people talk about the deep state, they are thinking of E. Howard Hunting, right, and also G Gordon Lady, these are the guys Nixon gave us the deep state. Yeah, now, at this point when they're busted for their involvement in the Watergate break in E. Howard Hunting, G. Gordon Liddy, they were working together on a secondary assignment to kill a US journalist for one of Nixon's thatchetmen.
Speaker 2: Oh god, oh yeah, so we were in the bonesaw business.
Speaker 3: Like literally, yes, Watergate literally saved the life of an American journalist.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: The guy's name was Jack Anderson. Right, He was a syndicated columnist. He'd written a story just before the nineteen sixty Nixon Kennedy election, and in his story he cites this secret loan from Howard Hughes, friend of the show.
Speaker 2: Right to we talked about that totally.
Speaker 3: To Donald Nixon, the president's brother. Nixon is convinced that this story is why he lost to Kennedy. So once he's back in power, re elected in a landslide in seventy two, now feeling untouchable, Nixon orders his Deep State boys to assassinate Jack Anderson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, and then after that irma bomb back.
Speaker 3: Now they're like, we can't shoot, that'll be suspicious. So G. Gordon Lady and I Howard Hunt they come up with a hell of a plan. So they're going to douse his steering wheel of his car with LSD. He'll be driving. Oh man, he'll start tripping. Then he'll crash his car and he'll be a fatal accident. People are like, are you guaranteest thing?
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 3: Their plan right? Their other plan was to poison his aspirin. They're like, wait, they probably don't take enough aspirin. So they're like, okay, if that doesn't work, we could just break into his house, stage a robbery and then just he just went fatal. Oops, And they're like that was planned three.
Speaker 2: But like the first one, Oh my god, the LSD car, I'm all lay down a banana on the sidewalk with the banana peel and then a pile of razor blades block away, you know, like.
Speaker 3: You're like hung out with like old hippies. And they would tell you something like, man, the government used to try to do this stuff. You're like, come on, man, and then you hear the government You're like, yeah, I take it back. They really were trying to put LSD on car steering wheels to kill people would.
Speaker 2: Be afraid to get in the car and drive. What if I am dosed with LSD by the government drive slowly, they want they want to get me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there after you, Lilizabeth, and you're like number seven on the list. So luckily for this dude, this journalist Anderson, the assassination attempt never happens because in seventy two, these two cold warriors get locked up in conjunction with the Watergate break in. Because the burglars who get busted roll over on their bosses, who are I Howard Hunt and g Ordon Letty. So there's another key figure, Jim McCord, right, the former FBI agent and later CI agent. By seventy two he was the head of security for the Committee to re elect the President. Now he was also allegedly a spy for the Soviet Union. Oh, he's the head of security for the committee to re elect Nixon. Was apparently allegedly a spy for the Soviet Union. He'd been compromised in a honey trap. Oh by this really known famous psych Soviet honey trapper. So it was going around Washington honey trapping people. And then so he would then had to help this guy to keep other moles from being discovered. So he'd find out was like oh yeah, and being the head of security, he was able to like work his stuff in the White House. Like anyway, these cats were all kinds of deep state, and you say, Elizabeth, they were. So here we go. We have G. Gordon Liddy's plan to put the Big Idea into play. It goes terribly. Now we've met the you know, the cold warriors. So let's take a little break, Elizabeth, and when we get back, we will break into the Watergate literally and see how it went down so poorly. All right, Elizabeth, we're back.
Speaker 2: I'm back.
Speaker 3: You you're ready to break into the Watergate hotel. I've waited all my life to do this. Okay, we've met former Attorney General John Mitchell, White House Counsel John Deane, deep state batties G. Gordon Liddy and E. Howard him. Well, with the Watergate break in, it just wasn't just one bungled bird. It was actually two break ins. Yeah, because turns out this crack team of deep state spies and so forth, they required two attempts to bug the Democrats. For the first attempt, Jim mccoord, he consults a special registry of old spies. It's called apparently the FBI Society of Former Special Agents. There's literally a registry like a book of old former spies. Magazine, there's there's a movie for you, Hollywood, just waiting to be made, the FBI Society of Former Special Agents. It's an actual book. Just open the book. The movie starts anyway. McCord finds himself an old spy in this book, calls him up and he goes, hey, you want some side work. I got a little piece work for you. And he's like, is it wet work? No, man, it's cool. So the former spy, this guy's name is Alfred C. Baldwin, no relation to Alec or Danny Baldwin. The dude used to be a bodyguard for the Attorney General John Mitchell's wife, which is why they felt they could trust him.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: They're like, he's one of our people. He knows how we would do stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So May twenty eighth, Baldwin and the first crew of Watergate burglars they break into the Watergate Hotel. They go up to the sixth floor. They plan a bunch of illegal wire taps. They sneak back out. Guys, they're high five and in the parking lot except for the wire taps they places don't work, so they're like, oh man, the MIC's done works. They have to go back, break back into the DNC office and repair their wire taps. What would the other Deep state guys say, I'm telling you, what are you gonna say at the conventions? Like, how's it going, Bob? Well, let me tell you a story. Keep to yourself, I'm telling you, right. So a couple weeks later, on a Saturday night, June seventeenth, nineteen seventy two, the spy guys break back into the Watergate complex where the second time, except things don't go as smoothly the second time. You see Elizabeth, their security protocols were pretty amateurish for a bunch of former spies. Yeah, because okay, this is how they get caught. Security guard working late at night, he notices one of the doors in the underground parking lot is taped open, like at the lock part that would come to the It's taped over so it'll stay open, all right. He's like, well, I have's messed up. You can't have that. He takes it off and he goes back on his rounds. Yeah, when he comes back, the tape back, he's like, wait, a minute, I thought I took this off. He realizes, wait a minute, nope, and he calls the cops. He's like, there's hanky stuff afoot.
Speaker 2: Cop, I would have thought that from the jump, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but not him. He thought maybe somebody was trying to hold up on the door. But he knows now this is somebody who prepaired this. They are currently hope but holding open the door at to thirty am yeh. So he calls the cops. The cops who answer the call are not uniformed cops. Instead, it's three plain clothes cops dressed like hippies because they're out busting kids on pop possession charges. They're called the bum squad. So the bum squad cops show up. These three undercover hippies go rushing into the water gate. Meanwhile, on the sixth floor there are five men breaking into the DNC. Now these guys are spy guys. They have a lookout, right. They have this old spy they picked up from the spy Yellow Pages. Baldwin, he's watching their six so to speak. Where is he? He's across the street at Howard Johnson's right in like a hotel. He's on the sixth floor. He's watching from a window, just like he told them. He's supposed to alert them, but you see, Elizabeth, he gets bored. It's two thirty in the morning. There's no nobody on the streets. There's the streets slows, nothing's going down. So the Lookout what does he do? Turns the TV on, starts to watch this late night creature feature. It's called The Attack of the Puppet People. Now, this was a nineteen fifty eight black and white horror film. I went, I looked it up, and so knock off from the previous year's big hit horror film, The Incredible Shrinking Man. Oh okay, this flagrant money grab, The Attack of the Puppet People, it flips it. This is about a woman who takes a job working as a secretary for the scientist. And the scientist Elizabeth. He's mad, like a mad scientist. He shrinks people through like his thing. Then he keeps them in little glass cases and that way no one can ever hurt him and no one can ever leave him anyway. That's the movie, right. So ultimately this movie brings down President Nixon because if that Lookout it hadn't been so captivated by the attack of the puppet People, there would have been no water.
Speaker 2: Immediately he looks out and he sees three hippies run it.
Speaker 3: No, he would have seen them way before. He doesn't notice them untill they're on the sixth floor, on the same floor as his guy.
Speaker 2: But he wouldn't notice. If it's three, it's not three cops.
Speaker 3: Well, he's easy. Anything happens, he would have called them if anything happens, Yeah, nothing's happening on the street. If you see a car pull up and three guys run into the building where your guys are burgling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: You're gonna say something. He didn't say something until they're.
Speaker 2: On the city's too good.
Speaker 3: Until the cops are on the sixth floor and he sees lights going on as they're going across that same floor. Oh so you say how he tries tries to call the guys in the Watergate like you could legitimately argue that the greatest political scandal in US history can be traced back. Did some screenwriters sitting down one day and typing the words fade in on page one of the Attack of the Puppet People. That's just wild, Like, tell me God doesn't epicent to humor. Anyway, this old spy working freelance as the lookout, Baldwin, as I said, doesn't see anything going on, and then boom, history happens. Right, So Baldwin he spots the cops going as the lights go, he radios them. They take off with their burglary tools, but it's too late. At this point the cops are on the same floor as then all five guys get caught together. Shake down, break down your busy yep. Right next day, g Gordon Liddy, he has to go and tell his co conspirators the bad news. Like, hey, man, come to news. The five burglars they hired to break into the DNC. We're all arrested and we're hoping they don't talk. So what's the immediate response And from the Nixon White House when their spykup goes wrong? Well, Nixon is first told about the Watergate break in. He knows Nick it's a big deal. He's like whatever, so he tells his White House, Hey, John Erlickman. He gets told the news. Five days afterward, he sees the paper. He sees the story in the newspaper. He's like on the beach right reading the newspaper. He sees it, it doesn't make sense of it. Then later on he's told what it means. In response, Nixon says, to the guy, oh, who was the that did that? That was Nixon's response. Right now, you better believe Nixon has a plan to handle this fiastro. Nixon starts cooking right, so he orders the CIA to run a smoke screen to keep the FBI off of Nixon's trail. Wow, he knows who will be investigating.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 3: So he's like, CIA, you got to get in there. Tell him it's a national security So that's the plan now. And he also goes and has to have somebody pay the hush money to the burglars to buy their side. So they got to arrange that. Luckily, he's got this whole committee to re elect the president. He's like, let's run some money through there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you'd say that Nixon, as I said earlier, is the reason people think what they think about the deep state. He's the guy, right because right here, at this point, now you have the President, the Attorney General, the White House Council, a bunch of former Cold War spies, the CIA, all helping to block the FBI from investigating crimes anyway. Now, this marks the beginning of the second phase that I like to call it, the cover up of the cover up. Right in August first, nineteen seventy two, Washington Post publishes a story that connects the Watergate break into the Nixon reelection committee. The next month, all five burglars they get indicted by a grand jury. So the story just keeps cooking in the newspapers. All five burglars plead guilty. They all dummy up. No one says anything. Indicted with them are E Howard Hunt and G. Gordon Liddy. The charges they get conspiracy, burglary, violation of federal wiretapping laws. They're facing serious time. Ye, they all go down. They all lie to the FBI. They say that they were just doing it on their own. They're just good old fashioned anti communists. No one ever hired them to do this. They did it of their own militia. Just five guys break into the DNC and plant microphones. So, Elizabeth, what do we always say about lying to the FBI?
Speaker 2: The worst possible decision.
Speaker 3: It's the world. It's like a twenty year crime just for tell them lie. All you have to do is breathe and train the crime.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So the next month, in September seventy two, Woodward and Bernstein are star reporters from the Washington Post. They publish a series of stories that reveal how the campaign re election funds were illegally used to basically and are connected to this whole Watergate break in. And they drop a bombshell allegation and I quote John M. Mitchell, while serving as US Attorney General, personally controlled a secret Republican fund that was used to gather information about the Democrats, according to sources involved in the Watergate investigation. So now they're saying the attorney generals involved in the paper booh, the idea that the highest lawn the land is dirties. It was a shocking allegation. In nineteen seventy two, Yeah, right, Elizabeth, you know how Daniel Ellsberg wrote his whistle blower book, The Pentagon Papers. Yes, he was a Pentagon employee and he released a bunch of stuff saying that basically the Pentagon was lying about Vietnam and here is all the proofs.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, he also had a psychiatrist, Daniel Elsberg, and he would go and talk to him. Well, in response to all these leaks that came about with the Pentagon papers, Nixon formed what's called the White House Plumbers to plug the leaks right and to also deal with any past leaks and plug any future leaks. So they had them. He had his team break into Daniel Elsberg' psychiatrist's office. On that team was I, Howard Hun and G. Gordon Lyddie. So now he's conflating and combining all of his crimes. So now he's worried because these guys are going to prison for a long time and they know about multiple crimes, not just Watergate. So in other words, they know where all the metaphorical bodies are buried. Yeah, So to contain these spiraling scandals, John dened white House counts. So it is told he needs to deep six whatever is in E. Howard Hunt's White House safe. Oh right, They're like, what do you I don't about, lawyer, What am I supposed to do? They're like, oh, I don't know, get get hauled him to help you.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I find it, arlokhim in. One of those guys got to know something, right, So he gets together with the acting FBI director in the White House Council, They get together, they break into the safe, they personally destroy whatever was in e Howard hunts safe. Then he personally monitors the FBI's investigation, helping to make sure that they're not looking at the right places. Then it's chief of staff Hr hauled him in. He handles the hush money for the burglars. He comes up with the idea to have the CIA block the FBI investigation. Next was like I love it now Nixon's advisor John Erlokman, and he just flat out lies to the FBI as just anywhere he can. And he also doubles down and eventually lies in the grand jury that's convened later on.
Speaker 2: Do we know what was in the safe? No, never found out.
Speaker 3: Nope, we just know that it's destroyed. Yeah, so we're talking high crimes and misdemeanors at this point. Just everything I just said, all that whole list of what they're doing. There's other stuff, but I'm just giving you the highlights. Elizabeth. You can see if you can guess what these brain geniuses do next to try to kill this story for good.
Speaker 2: I cannot guess.
Speaker 3: Well, you've heard what they're willing to do. Just to a journalist for revenge and what they're doing willing to do to disparage a whistleblower. Yeah, well their plan is, well, stop guessing. You'll never guess that. Elizabeth. Their new idea was, quote, we need to kidnap the wife or the former Attorney general of the US.
Speaker 2: Kidnapp the What does that have to do with anything.
Speaker 3: It's just welcome to Watergate.
Speaker 2: It's just exciting.
Speaker 3: Her name, Elizabeth Martha Mitchell. Martha Mitchell. Yeah, she had a very interesting life. She was a debutante, a kiamega from down south. While she was in college in Miami, Florida, she dated Al Capone. What I did not know that totally sunny Capone. So she was like, yeah, dated him and his brother. Now, if you recall James McCord, one of the Watergate burglars, he was her personal bodyguard, right, and that's why they felt that they could trust him. Well, Nixon's people now aren't so sure if they can trust Martha because John Mitchell knows his wife is planning to leave him. So and not always how life goes, You're like, oh, like a web of major several crimes over here. Baby, She's like, I want a divorce home. So John Mitchell he's in Newport Beach, California, and he hears the news about the Watergate breaking. He hears about Baldwin getting busted, and he's like, Oh, this is not gonna be good. Right, So Mitchell knows he has to fly back to Washington, DC. He tells his wife's security detail to keep her there and keep her isolated from any reporters and away from the phone. He basically kidnaps his own wife. Yeah, during the summer of seventy two for the entire summer, at least for most of the summer. In June, Martha tries to get hold of a reporter who will listen to her because she's been kidnapped. She calls Helen Thomas. The political used to be in the front row all the time. So Martha Mitchell tells Helen Thomas that she's planning to leave her husband, the former now former Attorney General. But before Helen can ask any questions about what's going on, the call goes dead cring. It turns out a bodyguard has yanked the phone court out from the wall.
Speaker 2: Oh God.
Speaker 3: While later, Martha Mitchell she sees a reporter from the New York Daily News, who has followed a tip and track her down to the Westchester country Club. All right, the reporter, this woman, Marsha Kramer, got to give her her shout outs. She's horrified by what she finds. She finds a woman who, Martha Mitchell, looks bruised. She's been rouffed up, looks like she's roughed up by gangsters, like by Capone's people, Elizabeth. But instead it's a former FBUI guy bodyguard. Anyway, despite her bruises, Martha Mitchell tells her story to the journalist the week after the Watergate break, and she says how her husband, the former Attendee General is all involved, had her in prisoned in a hotel room in Newport Beach. He tried to escape several times. She tried to jump from the balcony. She was getting ruffed up. She was given sedatives by a shrink and locked away. They're like, what the story goes out? Right, Nixon's people tell the press that, well, she was a hospitalized for a drinking problem, you know, blah blah blah. Yeah, right, so they just they just credit her entirely. Yeah, so at first, that's our first like attempted. The story almost breaks. Everyone was like, oh, this woman's insane. When she's a drinker, We're not gonna listen to her.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So anyway, the call to Helen Thomas in an interview did do damage because enough people stayed interested. Now is like, wait, the wife of the Attorney general is claiming all this stuff. Some people believed her and that was enough, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Nixon himself even said later on, if it had been for Martha Mitchell, there would have been no Watergate.
Speaker 2: So, oh, it's all her fault keeping score.
Speaker 3: Now we have Martha Mitchell and the attack of the puppet people as the two primary reasons why Nixon was taken down by the Watergate scandal. Okay, there's another reason, Elizabeth. Of course, deep Throat. You've heard a deep Throat. His real name was Mark Felt, Deputy director of the FBI. He remembered same group that's being stonewalled by the CIA. They're investigating. They know some stuff's tanky, so they start leaking stuff to different newspapers, Time, The New York Times, Washington Post. Funniest thing about Deep Throat, other than the fact his name is based on a porn film, is how He actually wasn't helpful at all in breaking the case. I mean not really when you're going to go back and look at it. The only thing he really did was to tell Woodward and Bernstein to focus on the money and to see who had access to the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which, like hello, I could say that.
Speaker 3: And even that whole phrase.
Speaker 2: It's a good idea in pretty much anything. Always just follow the money if you want to figure out.
Speaker 3: With queebono, right, huh so, but follow the money. That famous phrase, Yeah, that's allegedly what you know, Deep Throat tells Woodward. Phrase wasn't in their book. It was from the movie William Goldman, the screenwriter. He comes up with that. He that's pure Hollywood magic, perfect right, follow the money. Anyway, So there we go, Ready for some more spy games. Just a couple Yes, how they communicated if Deep Throat wanted to talk with Woodward, I think, Elizabeth, you're gonna love this. He would get his hands on the New York Times newspaper that was going to be delivered to Woodward's house somehow, we don't know. He'd draw a circle on page twenty. Then down in that same corner of that same page, would be a hand drawn clock. That clock would give the time that Deep Throat wanted to meet right now. If Woodward wanted to speak to Deep Throat, he'd place a red flag in his old flower pot. He'd place the flower pot on his balcony at the rear. If he returned home and the flower pod had been moved, that meant that they were to meet at their usual spot. Now. Fun fact that twenty eleven, the site where they met, this underground garage was marked with a historical plaque to denote the significance of this spot in American history. Six years later, in twenty seventeen, the garage was destroyed by new developers. Anyway, my point, the Washington Post isn't the only one covering this story. The New York Times is on It Time, is on It Time magazine. Yeah, but regardless of all these competing scoops between them, other papers around the country, they're mostly ignoring Watergate. They just see like La Times, Philadelphia Quirer, Chicago Tribune. They're all just acting like it's it's not really, it's a non story. So they just report the White House's denials of the scoops from the other papers. So the Post puts out a claim White House because then they just report Nixon just just you know, yeah, exactly, So at this point, the Watergate story isn't coming anywhere near to touching Nixon or his White House. Then comes the end of the summer and the autumn, and with that the presidential election of nineteen seventy two. Yeah, non November seventh, nineteen seventy two, Richard Dixon is reelected. He defeats George McGovern Elizabeth a landslide, one of the biggest electoral ass kickings in all of you has history prior to Reagan. Right now that he'd won reelection in a major landslide, Nixon felt he has solid proof that he is untouchable. It's retribution time, right, Nixon decides this gives his team legit reason to order the assassination of his enemies. That's when he goes go kill Jack Anderson. Right, That's when this happens. Is once he's reelected, that's when he's like, why dose plumbers.
Speaker 2: Get to it right and legal?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. So he has his guys basically generally wreaking havoc on the US. Yeah, so let's take a little break. We'll enjoy some warm, fresh baked ads. When we get back, Elizabeth, I'll tell you how this whole Watergate thing goes kerplump. Okay, Elizabeth saren, we're back.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: He diging it so far. I am kind of silly, right, all the weird names, all the weird angles, and like, what happens? How did al Capone get into the water start?
Speaker 2: So it echoes through time totally.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now we're about to get into not just echoes, but like dar near mirroring. You're gonna just watch listen rather Okay. So Nixon's team of cold warriors they're trying to play spy games back home in the USA, right, but they get caught with their pants down in the petting zoo. And at first, after the Watergate burglars, they played guilty. No one's talking. The story looks like it may go away. Yeah, then e Howard Hunt blackmails the president.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: He's like, I want to You got to pay me to stay silent.
Speaker 2: In deep state.
Speaker 3: He demands one hundred and twenty thousand dollars or he'll talk.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, but things are starting to go bleak at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, also, by the way, his wife died in a plane crash ferrying money for these people illegally, just as coincidental. It was like a huge No, it was like a big American plane that just goes down, happens to be on it, and she had like ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: I forget. I started watching Scandal there.
Speaker 3: So he's all broken up about that, and he's worried about the future of his kids if he's going off to prison. Sure, so that's what he wants the money for anyway, So he thinks he's being a good dad by blackmailing the president. So White House counsel tells the president about this threat. Nixon's like, oh, well, I know where we can get a million dollars. Because John d You's thinking like, oh, I thought this is gonna be a problem. He no, No, don't worry about that, you know. So he goes, You're like, Jimmy Hoffele, give me Jimmy Hoffele or whatever. I can't say if it's for sure, Jimmy Hoffer. But as you covered, Jimmy Hoffer was helping him get money. So Nixon had sources for dark money. So at this point, Elizabeth, the cover up. The cover up is now fully kicking in and it's about to bring down Nixon. He just doesn't know it yet. So we got about a year left of his presidency. One thing we haven't discussed yet is why did Nixon want his guys to break into the DNC office? What was Nixon really after?
Speaker 2: Well, wasn't it I think I talked about it on another episode. Wasn't it proof of Hughes's donation?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is the point. There's multiple debates, right, Yeah, no one knows. And all the testimony for the grand jury is the deposition for the civil suits. All that comes out, all the memoirs written by people, Why did Nixon want to break into the DNC headquarters? No one gives a satisfying answer. So, according to the transcripts from the case of the United States versus. G. Gordon Liddy, which became publicly available about a decade ago the Watergate burglars, they all testified that they'd operated under belief that they were looking for evidence that linked the Democrats to Castro's Cuba. Okay, but wouldn't you tell a bunch of anti communists that, you know, that's just a cover story to tell those idiots?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, There's a different theory, which is that Nixon was after j. Anthony Lucas, former New York Times journalist. He works as a history professor at Texas A and M. He put forth the idea this is that Woodward and Bernstein were wrong and that their version of events, Dixon wanted to bug the phone of the chairman of the DNC to find out if there was a legal fundraising going on by the Democrats. It's like, I know we're cheating, so they must be cheating too. It's kind of their logic, right, Yeah. But professor nicktur he's the guy from Texas A and M.
Speaker 2: And J.
Speaker 3: Anthony Lucas is New York Times journalist. They both put for the idea that it was the Democratic leadership was involved in prostitution and that the Nixon was trying to get dirt on the Democrats for their sex worker problem. They were having all these like dirty sex parties which.
Speaker 2: They had files about, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, which it just feels like someone Nixony. But my favorite theory is centered on friend of the show Howard Hughes, which is a theory you say, which is that getting back to the fifties, Howard Hughes had been doing hinky business with the brother of the president of the vice president at the time, so he loaned two hundred and five thousand dollars to Donald Nixon, then brother the vice president and future president. Then apparently he just forgets to ever pay Hughes's back, like oops, so slip my mind, right, nineteen sixty comes around, Kennedy's people learn about this unpaid loan. It comes back to bite Nixon. It gets leaked to the press. Nixon's convinced that's why he loses to Kennedy, right, and then he wants to kill the reporter.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Nixon was absolutely certain that Joe Kennedy, the former gangster turned usmbassador, along with the Daily political machine in Chicago, Frank Sinatra and the mob boss Sam Gi and Kana the Chicago outfit, and the Bob in Las Vegas, had all conspired together to get cheat Nixon out of the presidency. But what can he say about him? Beguise it because he's basically going, you know, I've been cheating two so they just what, Look, they cheated better than I did. So he realizes he can't complain to anybody, But this time He's like, I ain't look that happened to me again. So at this point, you know, Nixon's like, Okay, I don't know how, but I'm gonna go back to Howard Hughes and ask for more money because the Kennedy's are gone. It's sixty eight, right, So he goes back and Howard Hughes between sixty eight and seventy Howard Hughes withdraws a half million dollars and he slides it to his man, Dick Nixon through his brother, and apparently the Democrats get some evidence that get wind of this. They get evidence and then there's this is the evidence they planned to use to knock him out in seventy two, so just like they had in sixty So Nixon's like, no, it ain't happening. So he then says, break into Watergate, get me that evidence, which is the theory. You go, yeah, we don't know if that's the case, because we don't know what's in he Howard hunt Safe, We don't know what. There's a lot of not knowns, right, but there are.
Speaker 2: The unknowns and the.
Speaker 3: Totally oh speaking of co conspirators. Anyway, we'll get to the Ford White House in a second in Donald Rumsfeld. But so did Nixon pull Watergate to recover evidence of Howard Hughes and his Nixon's dark money trail?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: I like to believe it so much as go with that.
Speaker 2: What about all of the above, all of them.
Speaker 3: Exactly thinking they were just trying to do everything. What drugs were popular? Like what drugs was Nixon and his boys on at the time? A lot of speed? Yeah, like dexa dream pre adderall type pills from what I've been finding, But I don't know. I didn't really look into that.
Speaker 5: Time.
Speaker 3: So this point, it's September, right, Uh, The Washington Post reports that former Attorney General John Mitchell, while I was in office, I told you, was in charge of a secret Republican slush find right. So then a week later in October would Bernstein. They do have a follow up story that claims the FBI is corroborating that the Watergate burglars were indeed acting on behalf of the Nixon re election campaign. This point, the story starts to cook, but Nixon still goes to landslide election in November seventy two. Then comes January seventy three, age fifty one, Nixon gets sworn in as president for his second term fifty one. That's all he was his second term.
Speaker 2: He reads altered.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean yeah, right know? Right now. To celebrate, he listens to the National Symphony Orchestra played for him Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, right, and it's technically, by the way, his fourth time being sworn in with the oath of office, because he was VP for Eisenhower twice, is his second time being sworn in. He's the only person in US history to be sworn with the oath of office four times. Anyway. Ten days later, the five Watergate burglars are found guilty. Right now, he's like this, He's like, I can get around this. At this point, he thinks this is pure politics. He's just gonna fight it hard, right, So this seems to be a shock though for one of the burglars, and one James Bicord, he has a change of heart. He's like, I am a former FBI agent. I am not going down for Nixon. Right, So when he goes like full Johnny Utah in nineteen sixty style. The day of the sentencing, he tells the judge he perjured himself and he has secret details that go all the way to the White House. Right newspapers they hear this, they go nuts. They finally go wild on this story because now the Watergate story is sexy because the former spy guy says, I'm gonna blow the cover off the deep state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Nixon's lawyer, White House Counsel John Dene, he can sense the danger swirling all around the presidency. So in March he's told to write up a report that says Nixon is innocent of any wrongdoing with the Watergate break in. John Dene gets the sense that he's being set up. He's like, wait a minute. So instead of his plan for him the White House Counsel and the former Attorney General John Mitchell, and the Chief of Staff Halderman, and White House eight earlomen To all go to the Department of Justice together and tell the truth on what they did and resigned at the same time. He thinks he can save the presidency. That's his plan. Instead, he's got other competing plans, namely the one which is save John Dene, so that that's the one that makes him go to the US Attorney and start asking about if I got a deal what would I have to tell you guys. So he starts talking to the US attorney about saving John Dene. Around the same time, he goes to Chief of Staff HR Haldeman says, I'm thinking about talking to the DOJ right now. What does Haldaman do? If you know anything about Haldiman? He, by the way, calls himself the President's son of a bitch. That's his own nickname for his role in life. He and so Haldeman right hand to Nixon. He says to John Dene, I think you ought to think about it, because once the toothpaste is out of the tube, it's hard to get back in. What a weird threat.
Speaker 2: It's basically like you can't unring that bell, but unringing.
Speaker 3: A bell is such a deeper threat. There's violence involved. You got to hit a bell or shake a belt. It's just a weird one.
Speaker 6: For me.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, domestic guy, I'm real scared of you anyway. At this point, John Dene he he goes to confront the big man himself because he's his lawyer, he's White House counsel. So he visits the Oval Office on April sixteenth, nineteen seventy three to go chop it up with Nixon, and we have the transcripts of their meeting, and I'll tell you exactly what Nixon says.
Speaker 2: That's because he tapes everything.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, but Revan tell you about all that, Elizabeth. I'd like you to close your eyes. I'd like you to picture it. Elizabeth. It's the middle of the morning and you are on your way through a busy White House. You hear phones and offices with open doors ringing. You catch snatches of conversation as people brush past you. In the hallway. At a wide white door, you paused and knock. The President's secretary tells you that the president is expecting you. You can go right in. You nod, push open the door. The President is indeed expecting you. When the door to the oval office pushes open, Nixon looks up at you and says, oh good, you're here now. You, Elizabeth, are the White House Counsel to the President, John Deane. As you take your seat across the desk from Nixon, he starts right in. He tells you he's been thinking about next steps. He wants you to write it all down, a narrative for you to tell to the press. Before you resign. That's his new plan you resign. This comes as a surprise to you, but you've talked with your own lawyer and you tell Nixon, well, my lawyer tells me that you know, legally you're in damn good shape. Is that right? Yeah, that's right, because you're not. Now these is almost are ex transcription. Yeah, yeah, this catches you off guard, Elizabeth, What exactly is Nixon getting at? You came to Nixon today to tell him you plan to resign, but on your terms, and also you expect others to go with you, namely Erlickman, Haldeman and also John Mitchell. As you two discussed past crimes and whether or not Nixon is going to ask Erlickmann and Haldeman to resign as well. It's obvious Nixon wants to keep his guys out of the line of fire. Meanwhile, you scratch some notes on a yellow legal pad. Nixon goes over the events of the cover up. Of the cover up, he suspiciously gives you a lot of credit for it, as he protects his guys. You didn't tell me this about Erlockmann, for example, when you came in that day. I know he said Hunt needs this money, and you were using it as an example of the problems ahead. Then Nixon asks you, point blank, John, let me ask you this. Let suppose listening breaks and they ask you John dene Now, John Dean, you were the president's council. Did you report the things to the president? What did you report to the president? I would, I would refuse to answer any questions as to anything. This answer seems to make Nixon happy. He loves that. Okay, but what about you? Nixon taps his pencil on his desk as he thinks. You're panicking now, wondering why is Nixon making you say all of this incriminating stuff out loud about what you did well, handing all the culpability to you and downplaying his own. Then it hits you, this SOB is recording this conversation. You're sure of it. Meanwhile, Nixon is still laying out the big lie of who knew what when and who told who what. As the President talks, you look around the Oval office, wondering where the microphone is are where the microphones are? Nixon seems a little sweaty, like he knows he's lying to his own lawyer. You listen to the President as he outlines his vision for you to take the fall for the cover up of the cover up of Watergate. Nixon plans for you to resign as the White House counsel. You will inform the press that you failed the president. You did not inform him with any of the illegality going on in his White House. You can hear the Grandfather clock in his oval office as it grows louder and louder. The TikTok is the sound of the clock ticking down on your future. Then you hear it. Nixon says he wants you to tell the truth. Don't lie, so believe me. Don't ever lie with these bastards. The truth always emerges. You say, we know that, don't we It always does. You see it clear as a roach in a bowl of white rice. You see exactly how screwed you are. Nixon is going to gut you as the scapego for all the sins of the White House. Now, Elizabeth. In that meeting, John Deane realizes he's being secretly recorded. And this is also the meeting when Nixon begins to assume his White House counsel has flipped on him and he's cooperating with the DOJ. Walls, as they say, are closing in. Meanwhile, Nixon instinctively knows he's desperately in need of throwing someone on the fire. Someone's gonna burn. Yeah, so Nixon, since John Dean just noped doubt on being the scapegoat, Nixon calls a meeting of his inner circle at Camp David. Right, and this is in April, at the end of April, last Sunday in April. There he cries, and he tells his two most loyal henchmen Erlickman and Haldeman that they need to fall on their swords. They all they end up hugging. It's a really tender seat. Oh yeah, so and I think Erlikman asked him, like, what do I tell my kids? No, it's terrible. So on April thirty, at nineteen seventy three, Erlikman and hr Hauledeman they both go and resign. The Nixon crime family is breaking up house sad right, So what does Nixon do now, Well, Elizabeth Nixon's Gunna Nixon. So he asks his Attorney general, the new one, Klein dinst to resign. Why because Nixon wants to pick a new one who will shut down this investigation. May sound familiar, right, We've seen that move. So Nixon he fires the attorney general. He appoints a new one. At this point, we're now into May of nineteen seventy three. The Watergate hearings are being broadcast by the big three networks, ABC, CBS, NBC. They all agree to share Watergate. By the way, they're not running it at the same time. They take individual days, so every third day they get Watergate. It's really weird. Yeah, right, so everyone in the US is watching. They just switch channels every other day every day. The story is now burning bright like a wildfire. His now former White House counsel John Dean goes and testifies before the Senate Watergate Committee on TV for seven hours, saying everything he knows in this flat monitone that makes everyone believe he's telling the truth. Now, he says everything he knows. At one point his testimony, Dean mentions how when he spoke with the President on that day that you were there, when you were him, he felt like he was being recorded. You remember that. Well, John Deane testifies about these mics in the Oval office. The Senate Committee is like, wait, wait, hold up, you're telling us Nixon made recordings of his crimes.
Speaker 5: Do go on?
Speaker 3: So it's July at this point when it all goes sideways. Now, Elizabeth quick question. You like the Law and Order? Do you know why Fred Thompson was on lawn order and playing.
Speaker 2: The d I don't know.
Speaker 3: Because of Watergate. That's when he first got famous. He's a young lawyer. And he asked the live on National TV if White House Assistant Alexander Butterfield confirmed the installation of any listening devices in the Oval Office of the President. No.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: Butterfield's answer is the beginning of the end for Nixon because he confirms for the Watergate Committee that there is indeed a recording system in the Oval office. He was installed in nineteen seventy one, and there are hidden mikes in the cabinet room, and there are hidden in mics in Nix's private office. They're like, are you feel real right now? So Nixon did indeed record the crime evidence of the crimes he planned in his White House because he planned in using that to blackmail his own people if they ever try to turn against him and be like, yeah, I've got evidence that you were down for this, right, but now everyone's got evidence that Nixon was down to this. So there's other bad news though, because Nixon's new attorney Journal, he names a special prosecutor to investigate Watergate. This dude's name is Archibald Cox, so he's subpoenas these White House tapes. Everybody wants to hear these tapes. That's like the newest drop. Everyone wants to cop right. So first Nixon refuses to turn them over. He argues that since he's the president, he has quote executive privilege. The tapes are his, they belong to him, the president. This is where the argument Trump is borrowing comes from. Yeah, Nixon holds a press conference. He tries to get America to move on from Wagage, which I think it's all time for us to move on. That's literally his quote, it's time to move on.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 3: So his VP, though Spiro Agnew, has his own tax evasion scandal, has to resign. So people are like, what is going on in this White House?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Nixon's like, are you kidding me? So the band replaces him as Gerald Ford, who happens to be this popular politician. Both parties like, everyone's like, oh, Ford's awesome he'd be a good new president. What if we twenty fifth Amendment Nixon. This is when Nixon decides, okay, I'm gonna go full Nixon now and he launches his Saturday night massacre. Yeah, so the Saturday Y masaker, if you know. This is when the special crossecutor who won't drop the subpoenas. Nixon orders his new attorney general to go and fire him. The new attorney General's like, bro, that will not look good. Nixon's like, I don't give a goddamn how it look and a He's like, sir, I can't do that, right, So the attorney general, right, and then Nixon goes to the deputy attorney general. He's like, I want you to fire the special prosecutor. Deputy attorney General's like, sorry, man, I'm gonna have to resign. So he quits too. Right. Dixon's like, well, somebody fire this will be So that's how he finds Robert Bork. That's how Bork interest eventually at the time he was a solicitor general. Bork is like, mister President, I am your guy. So future rejected Supreme Court justice candidate Robert Bork happily fires a special counsel. Now Nixon's got his active Attorney General, Robert Borke, looking for a warm body who will be the new special Council and slow this investigation. It's a legitimate constitutional crisis. He Dixon had the FBI locked the Attorney General out of their office. Really, Oh yeah, the US attorneys He's like, He's like, FBI, you will lock stuff down. It was legit, people, it was nuts. Meanwhile, in the courts, HR. Haldeman and John Erlickman and John Mitchell and some others from the Nixon White House are all being indicted, right, so they're all trying to now cop please.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there's an eighth person known as the unin co conspirator, and everyone knows that's Nixon. So that's where we get that term as well, anyway to save his presidency. In April seventy four, Nixon speaks directly to the nation in a prime time from the Oval Office address. Right. He announces he's approving the release of the White House tapes, but there will be edited transcripts that were edited by Nixon himself. Yes, yeah, so still though he does what he does release to his credit, I guess there are twelve hundred pages of transcripts, and they revealed Nixon to be this mean, vulgar, spiteful, bigot. Nixon has a slur for everyone, like any group he's got a slowly would name me a group, Elizabeth, I know that, right. He really loves to run down Kissinger. I'm like, one thing I apparently was like I didn't see that. He's like, oh, he hates Kissing. He's always talking baud about Kissinger. Anyway, Nixon still won't give up power. Now that everybody can see what a venal jerky is, he takes his case to the Supreme Court. He's like, I want justice. So Nixon goes and he asks them to hear his case. The case is Unite States versus Richard Nixon. Supreme Court rules eight to zero against him. Yeah, boom right, it's a unanimous decision that rules that the president must release the tapes. This is now July twenty fourth, nineteen seventy four. Meanwhile, at this point, Nixon is out of the country. He has he's bouncing around the globe like Diddy on the run. Right, He's like, can't catch men, right. Nixon stays busy. He goes, he meets with Soviet Premier Leonid Brezhnev right at a summit. Right, these two old men are like bounce around, like re member, cold War is so much easier, right. The Soviets though, Like he's like trying to work a deal with the Soviets, but the Soviets are like, why would we deal with you? You're done, my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Nixon, though, returns home to the US Congress is talking now about impeachment full stop. Right, They vote to move forward on impeachment. They recommend articles of impeachment. Nixon bets that the Senate will save him, they will quit. So on October fifth, nineteen seventy four, Nixon finally releases the full tapes. He's like, all right, here you go, just like the Supreme Court insisted. Now, among the release tapes, there's one tape in particular of Nixon and Haldeman plotting to use the CIA to stonewall the FBI. This plan was to false, false acclaim that Watergate is a medal of National security.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: At one point, Nixon says on the tape, this is a sort of a comedy of errors, and that they should call the FBI and say that we wish for the country. Don't go any further into this case period, right, So that's all. It's that tape gets known as the Smoking Gun. That's all, the Smoking Gun tape. When the tape finally drops, Nixon loses all support. Everyone's like, oh, he has to resign both parties, all the people. But still Nixon's like, I will not resign. You don't have to drag me out of this office now. At this point, it's the night of August seventh, nineteen seventy four. Barry Goldwater, who actually used to run for election as president and lost badly, he goes as the old guard leader he got the Republican Party. He goes in. He takes a late night trip over to the White House.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: He brings a couple of other congressmen with him for backup, and they tell Nixon he will be impeached by the House. There's no question he's lost the votes. He will be convicted by the Senate. They don't have the votes there either, and he will be removed from office in an embarrassing shame on the national stage, if not the world stage. Nixon's like, oh, okay, sorry to see you guys. Go sends them out right The next day, August eighth, nineteen seventy four, fifty years ago, Americans gathered to watch the news when Nixon sat down for a televised address from the Oval Office, and President Nixon says.
Speaker 6: To continue to fight through the months ahead for my personal vindication would almost totally absorb the time and attention of both the President and the Congress in a period when our entire focus should be on the great issues a piece abroad and prosperity without inflation at home. Therefore, I shall resign the presidency affective. At noon tomorrow, Vice President Ford will be sworn in as president. At that are in this office.
Speaker 3: Just like that, it was over, Elizabeth amazing. Now newly sworn in President, President Ford tells the nation, our long national nightmare is over. Oh yeah now. In total, the Watergate scandal took down Nixon and sixty nine other people. Nice so John Mitchell, a former attorney generally United States. He gets a four year sentence. Erlikman gets eighteen months in prison. Haled him in. He spends eighteen months in prison. John Dean gets four months in prison because he flips on everybody. G Gordon Liddy does four and a half years inside e Howard Hunt. He gets sentenced to thirty five years, but only does thirty three months. Don't ask me how that plays out. James McCord two months inside for Halio Gonzalez, Bernard Baker, Uchanio Martinez, and Frank Sturgis. They all get thirteen eighteen, fifteen months. But Nixon gets pardoned by Ford, though does no time inside, and then the stand of Watergate attaches itself to Ford and he loses his seventy sixty Jimmy Carter Boom Gerald Ford is the final victim of Nixon's humorous and there you go. That's Watergate, Elizabeth. What's our ridiculous takeaway?
Speaker 2: There? I think two things. One is we think we live in chaotic times. Now, this is before watergates, before my time, and you just think, like, my god, you hear it. It's like, do we ever get I was saying the other day, can I live in precedented times?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 3: You do? That was the precedent.
Speaker 2: But also then you send more specific how many watergates are there that we don't know about? Successful one?
Speaker 3: The more I investigate, there's a lot, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sad, what's your ridiculous takeaway.
Speaker 3: The whole story. I just told you that was it. Take it all away. I'm after all that. I'm sweaty, I'm hot, I'm ready for a talkback. You got one for us?
Speaker 6: I do?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 5: Went. Hey, y'all, it's Teddy from the Ridiculous Crime Memes Instagram account.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 5: I need y'all to send me memes the audience.
Speaker 2: Send me memes please.
Speaker 5: I'm just not clever enough to come up with them all on my own, but through audience collaboration we can make something real special. So please send me any funny bits you have. I'll make the meme for you. Any ideas please. Ridiculous Crime Memes on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Love y'all. Bye. They said, please did you hear the please?
Speaker 3: I did hear it.
Speaker 2: Please do a solid. Apparently memes are in high demand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are a meme deficit economy.
Speaker 2: Meme it out everybody.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for uh that call to arms. I like that, especially for the ridiculous crimes with you well as always.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: You can find us online Ridiculous Crime on these social media's good looking around and we have our website, ridiculous Crime dot com. We love your talkbox, so you know, get on the app and download it and leave us talk back. Maybe you hear your voice here. And also you can all these email us at Ridiculous Crime at gmail dot com and as always started dear producer deed Well, thanks for listening. We will catch you next crime. Ridiculous Crime is hosted by Elizabeth Dutton and Zarn Burnett, produced and edited by the Woodword to Our Bernstein, Dave Coustin, and starring Annals Rutger as Judith. Research is by White House rufers Marissa Brown and Andrea Song Sharp and Tear. Our theme song is by White House House Band Thomas Lee and Travis Dutton. The host wardrobe provided by Body of five hundred, guest Harah, makeup by Sparkleshawt and mister Andre. Executive producers are Babe Roboso's bankers, Ben Bolin and Noel Brown.
Speaker 2: Red Why Say It One More Time Crime?
Speaker 1: Ridiculous Crime is a production of iHeartRadio four More Podcasts. My Heart Radio visit the iheartra you app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.