Speaker 1: It's a new edition of Birdland Territory and off day edition coming out of the series of Minnesota and ahead of the series in Tampa Bay. Amazingly, the Orioles are still two games out of the wild Card. I really thought it was three this point, checked again this morning and double check. Wait, I'm I seeing that right now they only have to climb over five teams to get that spot. There is a real problem. Texas is holding that spot, believe it or not. At sixty and sixty one Minnesota, Detroit a halfback, Cleveland a game back, Toronto game and a half back, which means the Oils are last place by the way, and Baltimore two out. So the math still works. But as we begin a new Birdland Territory with Steve, tim and Brad, I would like to ask my co hosts, where is your hope level at this point? I think it reflects Land, which is really low right now. Man, if we put this for a vote to make it or not to be a landslide against Having said that, you're a five game winning streak away from making it real exciting. But we haven't seen that much this year. What are your guys' thoughts coming out of the Minnesota series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my my biggest concern is that there's just more teams climbing ahead of them, and that's it just gets tough because when you win a game, you have to expect five other teams to lose in order to actually gain a game in the standing. So, yes, there are only two games out, but when you start doing the math, it starts to get a little bit more difficult to climb up the standings. And it just it's the up and down it's been all season. It's, you know, the pitching hasn't been the best the last five games, and the offense has kind of scored some runs, and it's just that it's not lining up, and it just it kind of just feels like the same thing that we've been talking about the entire season. It's just the inconsistency of both sides of the ball. And that's where I feel like they're at in the standings. That's why they are there, and it's it just to me, it's it's just gonna get more difficult if you're not able to, like Steve said, put together five game winning streaks, because I feel like that's what's going to take at this point, and the inconsistency, to me is just kind of the red flag that I just don't know if they're going to be able to sustain that the rest of the season, even though.
Speaker 3: You know, they started talking about a fifty game sprint. It's just over.
Speaker 2: When you look at the course of the season, you just can this team actually sustain winning baseball and they just haven't proven it to this point, So that would be my concern with them getting back into the wild card standings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's sort of just spinning your tires. And I feel like we've said this about a lot of series, but you can sort of say that this series is kind of a microcosm where Game one Dean Kramer best start of his season by far, one of the best starts of his career, seven innings, just one in and run one to hit, one walk, give them credit for fighting late. Then Game two you score the runs early and then the offense goes quiet, but you win. That game sets up a rubber match, and then yesterday you couldn't feel even better, you know, with Shane bos on the mound, because over his last fifteen start he pitched to us Sell up a three eer. But he's just never gotten run support. Dylan Beavers had the big blast, the three run homer to put you up four to one with Boz on the mound, but Boz didn't have it and you ended up losing that game, losing that series. And it's just a bad direction that this team is in, guys, because they've lost five of their last seven series.
Speaker 5: You're not gaining any sort of momentum.
Speaker 4: And now you're entering arguably, maybe not even arguably, you're your toughest part of your schedule remaining.
Speaker 5: These next ten games.
Speaker 4: You have the Rays at the Trop and that that was a rough series at the Trop last time they were there, they swept the Rays of Camden Yards. But the Rays of won nine straight games. They have the best record in the majors right now. Then get take on the Yankees, which that's always tough, and then the Rays again. So these next ten games, that's a bearer of a schedule. Over this next week and a half.
Speaker 1: You have the memo to national me never never say again the Rays can't win it. Please please don't do that, because in March. In March, the narrative was it's a four team race in the Al East and any of the four can win it, but we know Tampa won't. Okay, well again as they just the Tampa Bay Ray's magic. They can change front office people, they change players, it just keeps going. Whatever they have the you know, the Oriels needs some of that to rub off on them. So question comes should they start playing for next year? And I'm gonna tell you, if I hear any of that from the Oriel management, it will shock me because I think they just think, what you're two out, you just you just still got to try to play for this year. Even as bad as it's gotten. They are four and seven this month, they're having to losing road trip, but just the signs are bad everywhere they look. But even if they played for next year, what would that even mean? More at bad for Jackson Holiday, they're playing him more at bats for Kobe, they're playing him. I mean, I'm not you know it, does it make sense? Is there a play for next year they could even turn to?
Speaker 2: I think by the just watching the last three or four starts, I know the starters didn't have their best stuff, but the fact that Trevor Rodgers Boz a couple of the guys there in these last four or five starts, they've only thrown like sixty pitches, eighty pitches at the most. If you're playing for next year, you're not pulling the start. I feel like you're not pulling the starter right there. Like I said, I know they didn't have their best stuff, but I feel like if you're just kind of trying to play out the games, you let the starters go one hundred, then you go to your bullpen and kind of see where it falls there. But they're clearly trying to win these games. The bad start in Texas. Can't remember who the starter was at the time, but I think it was eighty pitches. He was COVID.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's two or three innings. He was out of the game.
Speaker 2: Then Boz yesterday three innings, and I just feel like, if you're playing for next year and trying to see what you have, you're not going to these guys immediately. And Cam Sanders through two innings on Monday. He comes back in yesterday trying to get multiple innings, which is tough to do as a reliever, and probably a spot he hasn't really done. So to me, it's I think I think both can kind of be true. I think you try to see the pieces you have for next year moving forward and still try to win the games, and you don't want you know, yesterday, I think if Boss stayed in there, it could have got really ugly. But so I think you're trying to win the games the best you can and to see what you have moving forward. So I feel like there's some kind of wiggle room there between you know, playing for this year and intending for the wildcard and really.
Speaker 3: Finding out what you have moving forward.
Speaker 2: Because the trades that they made to me scream we're playing for twenty twenty seven and beyond.
Speaker 5: And Michael I said as much.
Speaker 4: Look it, he didn't like the position they were at and that's why he told. And he said if they were in a better position, he would have bought, but they weren't.
Speaker 5: That was just their reality.
Speaker 4: And I've been pretty stepfast and saying this ever since the deadline ten days ago.
Speaker 5: It feels like forever go with this point God, But.
Speaker 4: I'm leaning in the guys that you were just talking about, Steve. I want to see Jackson Holliday every single day. I don't care if it's a left handed starter. I want to see Kobe Mayo every single day. I don't care if it's a righty. You know, Dylan Beavers and Kobe Mayo as well. I look, I hate to say it, and I know he's provided some boost for them recently, even in the midst of his struggles prior to that. But guys like Leodi Tavers, you know he's not gonna be here in twenty twenty seven. I'm curious how they're going to use Chris Bassett because all signs point to him probably coming back in the rotation. But Steve, I know you'd like to see Trey Gibson. I'd like to see Trey Gibson again even more kay Povich, I just think you can still play these young guys and get inventory on what you have. And I still don't think that's waving the white flag. You can still manage the game and play the game to win, but lean into the young guys while doing it.
Speaker 1: Here's my guest. My guess is Michael Farrett has bumped to the top of that list and that they'd like to see him at some point this year after reacquiring him in the Todler Wells trade. So the Orioles lose seventy five to Minnesota fifty eight and sixty three as their record as they head to Tampa. When we come back, what does the math say, Let's look at the numbers, what it might take to get the oreoles in. We're still gonna do that. I know that sounds crazy, but there is math that could make it work. Can this team do it? I know everybody's saying no chance, but we'll give you the math in a moment here on Birdland Territory Science Experiment.
Speaker 6: For the one minute, we have to tell you about why we love Quint's electrolytes, including watermelon salt, raspberry salt. And I'm holding a citrus salt, just opened it and to pour some powder into my water, shake it up and AJ, why do you love it?
Speaker 7: I love Quints because after a long night out, a long day at the gym, a long walk in this Florida humidity, it tastes great and it gives me all the electrolytes I need. Why sugar free Stevy a free Keto approved and taste sweet because of that delicious fermented rice.
Speaker 6: It does taste really good. I'm drinking it right now while we talking about it. It's also made in the USA. Rigorously third party tested. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to Quinns dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order and three sixty five day returns. That's q u i ncee dot com slash fu l for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: Berland Territory continues with you today, and so the recent math says this, since sweeping Houston, now the break as a very promising seven year win streak. At that point, they're nine to twelve and they've gone two and five the last seven series, losing road Trip two and four, So there was momentum there. They couldn't keep it going. So what does the math say. Now here's the way I look at it. Forty one games to go, eighty four wins might do it. You might even need less this year, as we've discussed, But let's just say eighty four was the number, which would be less than most years. The eros would need to go twenty six and fifteen at six thirty four ball. So it doesn't seem like this team could do it, but other teams it didn't seem like could do it did it. So the math is still works for them. The issue is has to happen on the field lineup, not hitting mostly some of the starters even recently, some short starts, some leakage in the bullpen, and that's how you get two and five in the last seven series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then when you look at that number twenty six and fifteen, you're going to the trup where I think I saw last night.
Speaker 3: I think the numbers are.
Speaker 2: Right forty one and eighteen at home or something like that this year. I don't know if that's the actual number, but that's like that's insanety one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if you take.
Speaker 2: If you take that and you figure, okay, you win that series. Now you're looking at twenty four and fourteen. That's at the best case scenario. You can't imagine. You can't envision a sweep there. So it's just the numbers just start to stack up.
Speaker 3: If you don't put.
Speaker 2: Together series win after series win, mix in a sweep here or there, it just gets really tough. So it's the stretch is not gonna get any easier. And I know, I feel like we've made this statement fifteen times this year, But these next ten games I feel like are gonna determine whether or not they can actually make a run at this thing. And it's it's gonna get way harder before it gets any easier.
Speaker 4: During this ten game stretch. And maybe Steve I'll be even more optimistic than that. I don't know if it's gonna take eighty four wins, that this really might be eighty two, eighty one, or maybe even eighty one. Who knows, But I'm looking at this ten game stretch for the O's. The bottom can't fall out, like this can't be a two an eight.
Speaker 5: This can't even be a three and seven.
Speaker 4: Like if you could go four and six, you're realistically you're probably still in the mix.
Speaker 5: You're probably still with the striking distance.
Speaker 4: If you go four and six, and if you go five hundred or better, obviously that's that's gravy. But it's a tough remaining schedule. You have a couple of series where look, I bring up the A's, but the A's just won a series against the Red Sox, the Rockies. That's a winnable the Matts, excuse me. But besides that, it's a lot of teams still in the mix. You know that the Guardians, the Cardinals are still in the mix for an NL wild card. The Blue Jays you mentioned Steve are above the Orioles, now Yankees twice, the Brewers, so if they if they get in, they'll earn it. I just think it's it's a daunting schedule one. Just with this team's inconsistencies, it's gonna be an uproad to climb.
Speaker 1: I wish I'd double checked this before we start taping, but I think I'm right here. The last time the Oils played the Yankees, they won the series, and I believe the last time they played the Race they may have swept them. Yeah, so last time they played the Dodgers, they wont We've mentioned this number before. They beat the Dodgers, they beat the Yankees, they beat the Rays. The Euros have shown us at their best what they can do. I don't think we've seen their best in weeks now, and they just don't have that look of a team making a run. I mean they just don't. So are we here to put a fork in them. I don't think we are, but we're here to say we see what the fans see, and when everybody's seeing right now a team that doesn't have anywhere near the look of a playoff team and a team that's frankly in last place. So the orel is going to have to live with that for a little while. Let's go backwards and before we start taping, Brad, you made some comments about Shane Boss who just so crazy for this season, so perfect that the one time they get him runs, he immediately gave them back. It wasn't even didn't even keep the lead for like two minutes. His loss. He was down from ninety five point nine average ninety four, and he gave up nine hits in three innings that tied his career worst most hits allowed. He didn't have a lot of bad games, this guy, he's pretty steady, but that was one What were you seeing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: To me, it was just, you know, trying to get the fastball down, trying to get his splitter was the biggest thing I saw.
Speaker 3: His fastball was just kind of all over the place.
Speaker 2: He was really getting into bad counts one oh two to oho with his fastball.
Speaker 3: Then when he's throwing his splitter, it was just up. Everything just seemed to be up.
Speaker 2: And when your velocities down a little bit, he relies on that fastball riding by people at the top of his zone. When you're not throwing ninety seven to ninety eight like he normally has, it becomes hittable. And it's crazy to think now that ninety four to ninety five is not plus velo in the major leagues, but these guys see it every single day. And if you're not able to get ahead with them and get your knuckle curve, which yesterday just didn't seem to have the bite and the break to it, you're gonna get hit.
Speaker 3: And the guy, the.
Speaker 2: Guys at that played the Twins yesterday were just super comfortable up there. They got in advantages count advantage counts, and they really took advantage of the fastball up and it was hard contact a lot of the a lot of the game, and he was lucky enough to keep him in the ballpark, but it wasn't lucky enough to you know, get out to people.
Speaker 3: It was it was line drives all over the place.
Speaker 2: And I just think it has a lot to do with making a ton of starts, and he's been very reliable and he's thrown a lot of innings and the you know.
Speaker 3: The Orioles. Who knows where they would be if he hasn't had the year that he's had.
Speaker 2: But it's just kind of one of those days where Ben kind of made a good comment on the broadcast yesterday, one third of the year is gonna be you're just not gonna have your stuff, and that was definitely the one third that he just didn't have his stuff and the Twins took advantage. And hopefully he comes out the next start and just kind of lets this one go by, but hopefully it doesn't linger into the you know, two, three, four starts down the line, But it.
Speaker 3: Could just be the August fatigue.
Speaker 2: It gets tough this time of year, and Shane Boz hasn't really made a full year's worth of starts before. It gets tougher guys at this time of year, and it could just be one of those starts. So I hope that he's able to just kind of wash this one and move on, but it was a tough one for him yesterday.
Speaker 4: Well, first and foremost, I'm just glad that he isn't heard, because that was my fear watching that game, because whenever you see a velosity drop of it was two miles per hour on his fastball, two and a half miles per hour on the change up. He also wasn't getting anywhere near his normal spin rate on the knuckle curve. It was a difference of four inches compared to his year average, which is pretty substantial. So Shane Bos didn't have it last night, and it's really unfortunate because he's had a heck of a year and again his prior fifteen starts he had a two nine to three ERA. And the crazy part of it is the Orioles have won just four of those fifteen starts.
Speaker 5: Prior to that.
Speaker 4: Way, it makes no sense they just don't score for Shane Bos, but they did yesterday, and of course, in almost typical fashion of the season guys that they end up scoring for Boz and then Boz has a bad game.
Speaker 5: So just unfortunately, I'm.
Speaker 1: Really glad to have Shane Boz locked up because I think it's about time this team can count on some starters years down the road and they can say that now about Bradish and Boz. Brandon Young's under team control. It's a great start on next year. And to me, Shane Boz is a real pro. Getting to know him a little bit this year and being around on the for USA first for me, obviously he wasn't an oriole, but he handles himself so well. And I see, Brad, will you tell me what you see? Zero frustration with the lack of run support, And I don't think yesterday anying canna do with that. Some might say, oh, he finally got ticked off. Now, No, this is get way past that. This guy just goes out and does his job and doesn't care about that. He would he loved to get eight runs. Who wouldn't, of course, But he's going to do his thing, and I think it's so. I just think he's still a pretty young pitcher, but I think he can show Trey Gibson and Michael Farrad and Kate Povich and these young guys a little bit about how it's done every five days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no doubt Shane boss is a true professional. The way he carries himself on the field, you can tell he's prepared every single start.
Speaker 3: That just happens in the big league.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you can prepare do everything right, and you just don't have your stuff or you're just not it's just not there that day. But he never shows frustration, which I give him a ton of credit for his record at four and twelve. I think it is this year, and it's just when you watch it starts, it's like it doesn't add up. But he has been the same guy from opening since opening day until now. Nothing has changed on the mound. There's no frustration showing he wants to win, and when he's out there, he's a competitor, but he doesn't show the frustration. And I just think that's a great quality to have him. Like you said, Steve, to your point, there's a lot of guys watching these games in the minor leagues, and if you're looking for somebody, I mean, there's nobody better than Bradish and Boss to watch out there. They are cool out there, they keep their composure, they get fired up when they need to, and they get outs when they need to. But outside of that, they just go out there and they go about their business and they do their job, and that's all you can really ask for.
Speaker 4: Michael Lijah said to give up a lot to bring in Shane Boz, but he's proven that he's worth what they gave up, and it was even better to double down and give him the contract because he's just been so consistent over this stretch and a bulldog. He eats innings, he's got nasty stuff when he's on. I think it was a great addition, and like you said, Steve, it's a great piece for the future him and Bradish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, they acquired him looking at his status have always been mod you know, modest. He's never lit it up exactly like everybody thought. But you can see what they saw the potential. They led the Oils to give up hopping package of players to get this guy. But now they've got him locked up, so that trade, you know, they lessened the blow of giving up all the young talent because he's going to be winning games for the Oils for years to come. So that's that's great to see. And there's going to be a year soon, maybe next when he actually scored some runs for him and he doesn't have just four wins on his pitching record. When we come back, we're gonna note a couple of things on the miners, and we're gonna talk about a beaver weaver, which we saw in the final game of the series in Minnesota. That's next on birdl.
Speaker 6: This is that time of year, AJ it is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing, seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 8: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up. We have Yankees clubs coming up. Where's Yankees red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up. Go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best. Look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sea Keek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, the Oils heading into murderer's row here, raise Yankees for the next ten and still got to climb over five teams for the playoffs. But let's talk about this. I like the Factor called it a be a Beaver Weaver three run home run as an Euro as a Weaver and Beaver Beaver's hit a Weaver. But it's hard to say, don't try that at home three run shot. He'd gone forty five games without a homer, and we had Dylan on the show here recently. Everybody got Seed Graat. He's a great guy. I think he's a little disappointed with this season. And when I look at his total package of talents, I do see a future everyday regular who could have a good walk rate, who could hit two seventy, who could hit twenty bombs. I mean, he's still, oh, I think learning what it's going to take for him to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think so.
Speaker 2: And I think it's unfortunate that he had the injury earlier in the year that it really costs him a big chunk of the season, because when you're trying to get into the flow of the big league season, trying to figure out how to do everything on a day to day basis. You throw an injury which probably didn't happen a ton when he was in the minor leagues or college or high school, and that just throws another wrench into it all.
Speaker 3: And I just think it's a confidence thing.
Speaker 2: I think once he's able to get out there and have some success and some sustained success at the big league level, he has all the talent there, and I think he's a big guy. He's got big power, he's got a good arm, plays a good outfield. So I think he's a really big piece for this team moving forward, and I hope to see him get a lot of chances of the rest of the year and just go out there and have some success going into the offseason, put the injury behind him, and really see what he's able to do, because I just in your rookie year, when you get hurt, that's got to be so tough for a player to get over that fact and then come back and try to get back into the flow of things. And the worst part of it all is I feel like right before he went to the IL, he was playing the best baseball we had seen from him this year, and then that that just felt like such a you know, stop right there and then try to pick it back up.
Speaker 4: It's just really hard, and that's exactly what's gonna stay Brad. You can go back to his numbers in May, look at that, Look at his month to May.
Speaker 5: Man he was building a ton of momentum.
Speaker 4: The ops was well over eight hundred that month, but unfortunately went down with the injury, missed a lot of time. But you can tell that Craig Albernaz really likes him and has a lot of confidence in him. We've seen him lead off quite a few times of late. I know Gunners had that spot most recently, but prior to that, Beavers was leading off.
Speaker 5: But Steve, that's one of those guys man like. Dylan Beavers has not played many games at the major league level. He came up late last year, got his feet wet, still maintained rookie eligibility.
Speaker 4: I want to see Dylan Beavers play every single day. And there's not a position group on this team that is more in flux heading into the offseason than the outfield. We just don't have a ton of answers on who's going to be in that opening day outfield so I see this next forty forty one game stretch. That's why I want to see Beaver's, I want to see Cowser. I would love to see Bradfield get his feet wet before it's all said and done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe these forty one games will answer some questions about Dylan because I think if we could put the team management the truth serum, is he a big part of your future? The answer would be yes. But there's just enough doubt right now that you know, do they need to add another big thumping outfielder. Maybe they do to make sure they have that offense. So it's going to be interesting to see how that all plays out. But I think it is a big forty one games for certain individuals. Yeah, and I think Dylan Beavers fits that mold to really show what he can do. His numbers were better last year after his call up than they have been this year to this point, and we touched on some reasons for that. So and Steve show we hope he does great threat the way right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Steve not Dan threw up And I was gonna say this before. Also, is when you give these guys chances, maybe somebody's gonna surprise you when you look at the way this team has gone this entire year, look at all the guys that have surprised Blaise Alexander, Lito Taveris. At times when you give guys opportunity, you just never know what's going to come of it. So I just at this point it's like, why not That's the way I would look at it, because you might find surprise. You might find your starting centerfielder every single day against righty's against lefties, and what a hole that would be to feel for this team moving forward. And if they get hot, maybe they help you get in the playoffs, which would be an unbelievable surprise too. So it's just like, I just feel like there's nothing to lose at this point with playing these guys that you see being a big part of this team moving forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they already believe in the guys. It's not like it just throwing them a life raft. Yeah, I just to give them more play every day. See what he can do against lefties and so forth. All right, let's get to those minor league no to the moment here on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 9: Big Bad Morning Show, Benny and Haney, Inside Access Live on YouTube weekdays six till six, search Baltimore one O five seven the Fan. Subscribe for Daily Short's right to your phone and never miss which you miss one O five seven the Fan.
Speaker 1: I think if they had to vote today for the Jim Palmer Award Minor League Pitcher of the Year, it might be a two horse race. Caden Hunter, Joseph Jerwick some others would certainly be in that man. I watched Jerwoh pitch last night on the on the laptop. He's pitching at Redding six scoreless, one hit, he fans seven. He's ninety one ninety four. He's not blowing them away. At ninety eight. Change up is on point, secondaries, slider and sweeper are really starting to come. He's now in the top one hundred for Baseball America, number seventy eight. And Brad we were talking before the show, the three of us. We enjoy watching guys who aren't blowing hitters away have success. Yeah, this kid is doing. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love watching guys that know how to pitch and know how to use their stuff. I don't want to call it the right way, but just how to use it effectively. It's just to me, there's nothing better than watching those guys pitch because nowadays, I think fans are so used to ninety eight to one hundred. When you see somebody throw ninety one ninety four, you're like, oh, he's kind of a he's described as a soft tosser. But there's so many other ways to use your velocity and seeing guys like that have success, to me, it's exciting, and I think it's you can only look for things to looking moving forward, you can look for bigger things because if they get an extra tick in velocity, now there's stuff goes through the roof. There's always a big argument I have with guys I play with that do you want stuff first or do you want you know, pitchability first? And I would take the pitchability first over everything. And nowadays they can teach stuff, and they can teach you how to throw harder and that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Before they couldn't do that.
Speaker 2: So I just love seeing guys that are that have success, that know how to pitch without throwing one hundred miles an hour every single pitch.
Speaker 4: I know that there are some fans that you know, roll their eyes when fans grabs put out. You know, the second best farm system. Baseball America just updated their farm systems yesterday.
Speaker 5: The Oreo was one from fifteen to five.
Speaker 4: That's a significant jump when they were fifteenth heading into the All Star break and then five after the draft and of course all of the trade deadline acquisitions that the O's got. But Juwak came in at number three. Steve, and we've been talking so much, especially of late, just how pitching is the strength of this farm system right now, which is a big one to eighty from four or five years ago.
Speaker 1: I think there are some real stars in pitching development on the O's farm. I don't get to see much, but Forrest Herman is their director of pitching development. I think he's rock solid. I've been to Booie and Frederick a lot this year and had some very wonderful chats with pitching coaches like Jeremy Heilman and Jordi Henry, and they really are sharp guys. When I talk to them, I learned something about pitching. And when they tell me how they work with jerwah As, they told me, hey, we know it's a plus fastball and change up and he's that's his bread and butter. But if this slider and sweeper keep coming like they're coming, and now he's got all kinds of weapons. And I could see last night he started first time through with his bread and butter. He worked it in. It was it was a great development game. He got all his pitches in, he used him in key moments, and he was just good throughout. I think Triple A should be calling this kid who's at one hundred twelve innings, So we'll see if that factors in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Steve, I would say, I think I can understand the Orioles fans frustration with hearing about the top drift or the top farm system, but I think it's a little different this time around. And I think that for two reasons. One is, like we've talked about, it's pitching heavy. As before, position players really kind of headed that list. And second of all is you're kind of looking for a couple pieces to help this major league roster, not a full roster like it was before when they were doing their full on rebuild. So I think there should be a little bit more excitement when it comes to the minor league system being ranked higher, just because we know the major league roster has a lot of pieces to help the team win, and I think you just need to find a few pieces to fill in as where before it was a full teardown, you're trying to find a whole team, and that's as we know, it can be tricky because not every guy is going to develop into a big leaguer. But if you can get two to three four guys that are big pieces for the big league team, that's going to make a huge difference.
Speaker 3: And that's why I feel like this time around is a little bit different.
Speaker 4: No, I think it's a good point, Brad, And I'd also say this, and I understand the fans frustration. I understand that obviously we were saying it probably was best to sell, and I think it's proven kind of in this recent stretch that Mike made the right decision. It stinks that the Orioles were in that position. Both things can be true. I will grant you that, but you would much much much rather, Steve, heading into this offseason have the fifth best farm system according to Baseball America than the twenty fifth best farm system, because you in a much better position for success. Not all of these kids are gonna pan out. We you know, you saw that the last go around. But pitching is like people covet that. You know, teams are going to yes, these guys on this farm were the old are going to trade some of these guys to acquire major league talents. So it's much better going in with a good farm system than a bead and then you're really feeling bad about the future process.
Speaker 1: We'll just remember the excitement about d L. Hall and Grayson, who are top one hundred pitching prospects. There was so much excitement about them. And the Oils have two top one hundred pitching prospects now, Ironston and Jerwah and I think Cayden Hunter is gonna mentioned give them three and there might be a fourth. So that is exciting, believe me. That's the you know, baseball wants pitching prospects all thirty teams. The Oils have it. If you have eight you like and you trade to you still have six you like. So I mean, it's just gonna help this team, not today but down the road. And I think that's what frustrates the bands. They want to help to shay these guys can't help them today, but they're doing their best to help them, you know, in the future. So great discussion on that guy's another good show in the books here on Birdland Territory. Thanks to Birdland for getting us to a thousand subscribers. We all took laps around our yard and spite at eleven o'clock the other night. We're excited for that, and that just means people keep showing support of our show man. That means so much to us because, as you guys can tell, we put a lot into this and you're making sure we get a lot out of it. So pretty cool, guys, to get one thousand, now on to ten thousand. That's gonna take a few weeks at least. All right, everybody, thanks for watching today and we'll see you next time on Birdland Territory.