Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I tell my son all the time. Man, the key to anything that you want to do is just the consistency. Yeah, just being consistent. Don't trust me. Trust the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I could tell you anything that's right, You can tell them anything, but trust the work that you put in. Consistent work you put it in, and you'll start to see.
Speaker 2: The results, you know what you did until your point with that.
Speaker 3: Man, I think a lot of times our kids dismiss who we are.
Speaker 1: Man. God damn boy, my son won't listen to me for shit, you know, a strange as the liquor store listen.
Speaker 2: We just pops to them, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's a it's a catch twenty two because like being present in your children's lives, in their lives sometimes, like you know, they don't know what it's like to not have that influence, that protection, that leadership that guide us. And because they hear our voice so much, you know what I mean, they can shut us down sometimes.
Speaker 2: So I think it takes a village.
Speaker 3: That's why you got to have the right people around them to echo the message, because I don't want them to get the lesson, I mean, the message just from me, you know what I mean, I want to I want them to get the lesson in it without having to experience failure, experienced hardships. I want them to get it along the way. So just be patient with them.
Speaker 2: Boys. Man, you got some good boys.
Speaker 1: I got some good boys. But I mean, I'm happy you touched on this because we talk about just being pops, you know, to them, you know what I'm saying. So I was able to be there, you know, with you and for you through one of your toughest times when you lost your father, Yes, sir, and then you know, fast tracked years later and I lose my father. You know what I'm saying. You know, we talk about our kids and we talk about those moments, and you think that you have any eternity with them, and you think, I would never thought that I'd be sitting here right now with my father, my stepmother, and my mother all deceased. So you think that you'll have an eternity with them. But just talk about the influence and the impact that your father had on you, because you know, besides basketball, Yeah, we're talking about work ethic, getting up every day, his own flower shop. But like those skills, that mindset, those habits, yeah, are the reason why you could succeed in basketball because you take that mindset, you take those habits, and you apply that somewhere else. Yeah, but talk about Pops and how he instilled that in you, even though it wasn't all the time that you might have wanted, it was enough time, oh yeah, to mow you into the man that you are.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: Look, I would have taken you know, thirty years with my Pops in one hundred years, would have dead, be dead.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know.
Speaker 3: He was present, he was active, he was fun, he was loving, he was caring.
Speaker 2: He handled adversity.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, seeing him go through adversity, especially in the early nineties, really helped me through this phase of life, of my phase of adversity.
Speaker 2: And the way that he was able to carry it.
Speaker 3: Number one still show up, number two and then third bounce back.
Speaker 2: So having that Pops in your life, I really feel.
Speaker 3: Like it gives you an advantage on manhood, you know, because you don't have to learn certain things on the fly. You get to learn from their experience and their mistakes. So I'm thankful I had my dad as long as I had them. I miss him a whole bunch. I think The thing that I missed most about like his consistency of checking up on me. He knew my schedule, he knew how to find me. He always encouraged me. But I think what I miss probably the most is his sense of humor. He's a shit talk of extraordin there. He could talk to anyone at any time. And I really miss my father. I miss your father, man, and I'm so thankful. You know, we got to share that little time and space together because the pride that you would see on their face when we will walk out after the games, you know, you know, I could go back to like high school when they would talk shit to each other, you know, and things like that. So like to have that experience and then have it on an NBA level, Man, Kudos to our fathers, man, they really showed up and showed out.
Speaker 1: I mean for me, Bro, and I think about, you know, just the person I am today and the things that I'm doing and the things that I'm you know, accomplishing. It's because they prepared me, Bro that Like when my father passed away, I wasn't confused. I was obviously I was in pain, I was hurt, but I wasn't confused about what to do next. You know, so many times oftentimes you have adults that lose their parents and they don't know what to do next. They're lost, they're confused. I understood the mission completely, you know what I'm saying. Like they raised me that kind of man. So regardless of whether I was in pain, I knew to get my ass up and I knew to keep pushing forward. And I knew what I had to do. And I had to leave my family. I got to take care of my brothers. I gotta take care of my sisters. I got to make sure that everybody good over here. I got to make sure that Mom's house still good. I got to make sure we still get together on Thanksgiving. I got to I know what the mission is. They prepared me for that, it was. It was no confusion at all. So now I see what those years was about, what they were building, what they were preparing me for, whether they was gonna be here or not. Knew that I was gonna be ready to be the man that they needed me to be.
Speaker 2: That's right, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Right, So, when I was scoring twenty five and my daddy said, you ain't got to kill an instinct you should just go thirty five, those kind of habits of never settling.
Speaker 3: Never settling. I remember when I was putting my arm in the room. My daddy said, yeah, Bubbo, you dunking that bit. But I don't want you dunking it like this. I want you dunking that bitch like this. I'm like, damn, I can't never satisfy them on the never satisfying on the court. But man, I really miss that now, Man I really missed that. I really miss that. And I think one of the lessons that we can learn from them that maybe they didn't teach us is as black men, as successful black men who have a lot of responsibility to do a little bit more self care, right, because like we check out a lot earlier than every other demographic on the planet, and so like, you know, what can we do to have longevity. It's not it's good to have success, but you want to have long success.
Speaker 2: Yes, So are we getting our checkups? Are we getting our pro state check?
Speaker 3: Are we eating the right way? Are we exercising? Are we diet and are we getting the right sleep? Are we stress managing all those holistic things that you learn along the way that maybe they didn't have the information.
Speaker 2: Have you healed from trauma?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: And things like that, right, and so on top of the lessons that they taught us, what can we build off of to leave a better legacy and equip our kids for the next love phase of life?
Speaker 1: And I think that's that's an important message that you brought there. One thing that you brought up earlier is talking about being four miles from the beach. But it seems so far away, right, I tell people all the time, I've never been in South Beach. I got in the NBA. Yeah, people think we grow up on South Beach.
Speaker 2: No, that's not da Hey.
Speaker 1: We don't go over there, man, we do not go over there at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not day count.
Speaker 1: That is not that is not Miami at all. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's so different, man, like just kind of growing up in the eighties, you know what I mean. Like one of the I always remember me and you when we get into it. We're talking back and for man from you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, like that that was a turn back in the day.
Speaker 1: Today, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So then, Like, but the thing about it is, man, like, you grow up in this culture of South Florida. Sports and basketball and football give you an opportunity to compete with some of the best young athletes. And then you get exposed to the streets because, like you know, it was the eighties, so it was it was it was wide open down here. So you saw the car culture, the don'ts, you saw, you know what I mean, the strip club culture and all those different things. You know, and we jumped off the porch real early. So you know, in doing that, you.
Speaker 2: Get exposed to a lot.
Speaker 3: So you probably saw some things that you shouldn't have seen, experienced some things that you shouldn't have experienced, and you kind of carry that, right, you kind of carry that into the next phase of your life, and if you're not careful, at some point it'll catch up with you.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: This is true.
Speaker 1: So now you drafted number ten, that's right, you feel like you made it somewhat.
Speaker 2: I didn't get invited to the draft.
Speaker 3: No I didn't get the experience, you know, shaking David Stern's hand.
Speaker 2: No I didn't.
Speaker 1: You didn't get invited. I did, sound like you still salty about that. I know you're not. I know you not. I know you now you sound like you're still salty about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, you want the full experience.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I didn't get to go to the combine. I didn't get to go, you know, to the draft and things like that. Even though I was considered a lottery pick, in one of the top draft prospects. It just didn't work out for me that way.
Speaker 1: So you didn't get invited because I ain't get drafted, So I don't know, So you didn't get invited.
Speaker 2: I didn't get invited to the draft?
Speaker 1: What about the draft combines?
Speaker 3: The combine, it was like, okay, you have to play in it, and if you're a lottery pick.
Speaker 1: You just did specific workouts.
Speaker 2: Just go work out for teams.
Speaker 3: I'm one of the top fifteen prospects, so I wasn't gonna go and play against the second rounder. Yeah you know what I mean, or potential under It did me nothing for my potential in my upside. So because I didn't do that, I didn't go to test so I didn't get that experience. But I got to share that moment with my family and so that was a beautiful thing about it. But yeah, I mean, you want to always get a chance to you know, shake the court.
Speaker 1: I know you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we turned up that I know you did.
Speaker 1: Talk about it about it, got damn talk about it.
Speaker 2: Turned up that night. You know.
Speaker 3: We had a good time, but more so for me. You know, at that phase of life, man, it was really just trying to get us out of poverty.
Speaker 2: You know, shit had got rough.
Speaker 3: My dad had a stroke my freshman year and things like that, and I was looked at as the bread winner in the family. And it's a lot of responsibility when you're seventeen years old, man, and you're responsible, you know, financially for your family, inspirationally for your family, and not to minimize you know, everybody else in the family, because everybody held it down as best as they could. But it was a unique situation. I had a unique talent. But yeah, we had a good time. I flew out to Cali, got got up with Demos and Q you know, a day or two after the draft, and yeah, man, we turned up. You know, probably a little bit too much.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, talk about that, Earl Boykins, Cordmugatti, Yeah, Miles le bar Q Rich like y'all would loaded man talk about that? Headbands? Yeah, like it was a vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a vibe man, the Clippers.
Speaker 3: Man, it was a lot of fun being in la It's a beautiful place, got a lot to offer, great weather, and we were all doing things for the first time together. So we did a lot of cooking out, a lot of barbecuing, a lot of playing the video game, a lot of hanging out. We vibe, right, but the infrastructure was not there for us to develop as players.
Speaker 1: You couldn't got you got Chicago, you got East Saint Louis, you got New York for a lot of that.
Speaker 3: And we brought it, brought We brought all them elements. We brought all them elements to l a bro We kicked it.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: We had a good time out there, we really did. And all of us went on to have long careers. That's the thing about it. It's not just about assembling talent. Sometimes you got to have the right pieces. And it was just too many young players, you know, So it was still a lot of internal competition. But man, you're talking about like some talented guys.
Speaker 2: I had a ship. Man, I had a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the right mind. I mean, internal competition is how it's supposed to be Iron supposed to shopper iron. Yes, every day, every single day, Iron supposed to shop iron. Like you know, as much as you know, we talked ship to each other. Once we went out of town, nobody else could say shit and could nobody say shit to be like we we played, we could talk to shit each other all day. Yeah, we're gonna go at each other all day, for sure, but when we go out of town, ain't nobody fit the fuck with you, ain't nobody for the fuck with me. But we believe in that iron shopping iron ship. Yeah, we believe in that.
Speaker 3: I think about you, u D You know, you've always just really been the muscle You've been to Luga Brossi of this ship for years. Man, you know, like the loyalty and the love and the compassion and the the oversight that you had. You took it personal, being from down here right to represent it. So you wanted all our guys to feel safe, comfortable, protected, and.
Speaker 2: You stood on that.
Speaker 3: A lot of things we can't even talk about, because like you did a lot of things behind the scenes that allowed a lot of guys, you know what I mean, passes down here to be able to you know, breathe.
Speaker 1: I mean, I connected with the right people, and that's why I won't leave today. And people always talk about, you know, the opportunities that I had to leave. Man, the love that I get from the city. You can't put a price tag on that. Yeah, I can go anywhere. I don't need know security. You know what I'm saying. I'm connected to the people. You know what I'm saying. So now that I'm retired, I'm gonna get them back everything they gave to me. Affordable housing, the medical marijuana. Stop going to jail. Stop going to jail for weed. My brothers, we ain't got time for that. Life. It's legal now, go get your card, get your paperwork, understanding the law. You know what I'm saying, all that shit, I'll make sure we got all that. We ain't got to worry about jobs. Stop hustling. We gonna get jobs out here. We don't give you opportunities. Now. You just got to make choices, Make the right choices. But I'm gonna get the city back everything they gave to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, it is spring cleaning.
Speaker 4: Isn't just for finally tossing that fedora you swore would make a comeback It's for hitting reset on your grooming routine. Manscapes Beard and Balls Bundle. As you cover from cheeks to cheeks, clearing out the overgrowth winter left behind, It's time to weed, whack, hedge, trim and make sure the lawn is looking manicured for the season. Because nothing says fresh start like a sharp beard and more importantly, a properly landscape lawn. Join over twelve million men worldwide who trusts Manscape and use code ogs for twenty percent off plus free shipping at maanscape dot com.
Speaker 2: The lawnmower five.
Speaker 4: Point zero ultras dual plate system with interchangeable foil and trimmer blades keeps things fresh and smooth, even in the most sensitive spots. Skin safe technology designed to minimize nix and irritations. These tools are gentle where it matters most. Keep your skin smooth, comfortable, and ready for the season. Don't cut corners on your grooming routine. Upgrade to the Beard and Balls Bundle from Manscape. Visit manscape dot com and use code ogs to get twenty percent off plus free shipping, or if you need today, you can find Manscape at a store near you. Stay fresh this season for everyone's sake. Level up your grooming game today.
Speaker 1: Who's going big in the NBA this season? You are with all the new ways. Get in on the action with my partners at Draft Kings Sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA. Draft Kings is the home of NBA player props, so you can get behind your favorite players any which way, from monster slams to audition the rock to cleaning the glass. And here's something special for first timers. New Draft King customers. Bet five dollars to get two hundred and bonus best instant Download the Draft Kings sportsbook app and use codes OG's the Crown is yours. Stay in on the action and use two hundred dollars in bonus bets on Draft Kings same game Paulais for a shatterday email, bigger payout. Combine multiple bests together from the same game. Love the thrill of live betting. Draft Kings has got you covered. Bet live in progress games right as they happen, Mayking watching the game that much more exciting. If sports betting is not available in your state, don't worry about it. You can still join it on all the fun with Draft Kings. Pick six and have the shot to win cash prizes. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app now new customers, use my promo code ogs and bet just five dollars on any Way and get two hundred in bonus best instantly. That's promo Code Ogs only at Draft Kings Sportsbook