Speaker 1: All right, we're back for another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. We've got a second one in the last seven days. Here. This time, we're going to change speeds and go into one of my favorite realms of golf, golf course architecture, and with us as a guest. We've got Rob Collins who's a golf course architect based out of Chattanooga, Tennessee, and he and his partner Ted King are responsible for the nine hole masterpiece Sweeten's Cove. Sweeten's Cove has a cult like following amongst architecture fans, and we're really happy to have Rob on.
Speaker 2: Great to be here. I'm thrilled to be on the podcast. I appreciate yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, I mean it's uh. I got the chance to play Sweeten's Cove in May of this year down in Knoxville for a wedding, and yuh saw that chat Nuga was only about two hours away and knew I could squeeze in nine holes if I got on the road about five forty five and got it done, and it was. It was a experience that kind of changes the way you think about golf. I think, you know, you look at a lot of different people and their opinion on it, and that, you know, the resounding opinion seems to be that it changes the way that you think about golf. And you know, one of the worst things about Sweeten's Cove is generally leaving. So congrats doing a great job there. It's been fun to kind of watch all these new people's opinion and I'm sure you get the same satisfaction.
Speaker 2: Oh, we really do. It's been a thrill. I was thinking today. We started checking back and forth a little bit about the podcast. You know, when we were building sweet co I could tell, you know, early on that it was really good. It was really really good, and I was really really excited about it. But I can't I don't. And I knew that it would speak on a kind of a deep level to a lot of people, to a certain steps of people. I thought there was as the market out there for it, and that it would, like I said, it would really feel strongly to a certain stuff that of the golf population. So that wasn't really a surprise that the amount of sublicity that we've gotten out of it and the degree to which we've you know, received a lot of you know, kind remarks and great publicity and everything else is exceeded my expectations. So we're really really pleased with everything, and it's it's the thrill to see it continue to grow and continue to get more attention, and it means the world for me to see people react to it that way. When we were out there doing it, those long, difficult days where nobody's watching and you're working your butt off, you know, you was trying to think, you know, one day somebody's gonna get this, they're gonna appreciate it, and it kind of gets through the day on that thought that now that people are reacting to it in the way that they are, thinks all those long tough days worth it. So it really is a thrill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think seeing you know, Rob's recently posted a lot of before and after photos and Jason Way of geekon golf dot Com did a great piece with Rob on kind of how he got into architecture and you know, a very detailed look at the Swedens ghost story that I highly recommend anybody that hasn't checked it out. But you know, as getting into you know, golf course architecture, and I know this was kind of your first solo gig at it. I'd love to hear a little bit about how you got into it. I think every architecture fan that's an average Joe like myself has had the dream at one point or still has the dream of building a golf course. And I'd just love to hear about kind of the industry, how you get started, and how you got started and you know, have built your career to this point that I think that'd be great for the readers to sort and the listeners to hear.
Speaker 2: Well. I think I was like a lot of kids real early on, so maybe kind of vaguely remember it's fifth or sixth grade, maybe seventh grade, definitely, I remember seventh grade drawing golf holes in the side of the oat books. I think that's I think that's pretty common for people who get into golf at an early age. So I was kind of like everyone else in that sense. And I went went to college as Swanni and then got out and I graduated ninety seven, and really what I really wanted to do was go be a golf course architect, but I really had absolutely no idea of how to go about doing that. I mean, I knew that there were golf course architects out there obviously, and the thing had somehow gotten to that position in life. But I didn't understand how you could go from being a graduate of a liberal arts college and it actually turned that into a into a profession so bizarre and strange golf course architecture. And so basically I've kind of chickened out for four or five years, kind of put it on holds that I dreamed on halls, and I went and worked in Atlanta, and I enjoyed my time down there. Was kind of a good post college time, and I had a few different jobs, one of which was basically the same as the job that the guy in office space had. I mean, it was absolutely miserable, and I think it was important to go through that because I realized that I really really did not want to spend the rest of my life doing something I didn't love to care about. And yeah, during that time, I researched ways to get into the business and came around to the opinions that the best way for me to do it would be to go back to graduate school and get a landscape architecture degree. I thought that would basically provide the foundation educational foundation that I would need to you have some of the most basic skills that I could use to transition that into an actual job. And so I went back to Misisippi State, which that was one of the programs that actually welcomed me with the open arms and my interest in golf courts architecture. I made it extremely clear to the department head and it's my major professor, that I did not give a damn about landscape architecture. I was there for one reason and one reason only, and that was to be a golf course architect and they they were fully supportive of that. I mean, I was not dismissive or rude anyway towards landscape architects or profession of landscape architecture, but they understood that, you know, I was going to use those skills, which are very valuable skills, and I'm really really glad I went back to school to do it, but that I was going to use those skills for some extremely specific stuffs that of do you want to call golf course architecture a stuff stead of my step architecture, I mean it's kind of a I think more a mariage of engineering and plant spy architecture and in art, but anyway, that was that's kind of what I did. And I was fortunate to finish up and graduate in two thousand and five when they were still building golf courts and domestically at a very fast race, so it was actually possible for someone like me to get out of school and get a get a position. And I worked while I was in school. I had an internship with the with the really super guy Raleigh, a guy named Rick Robins, a very accomplished architect who's the former president of the a s GTA, worked for Nicholas for a long time in Asia, just had a ton of experience with wealth and dollarge about the profession. He's the first guy who ever believed in me and always really have a fine place in my heart for Rick and his wife Ginger, and Brian Lucier who was in the office there, and another guy, Jeff Westmoreland. I learned a lot from all them, and and then I transitioned that into a designed coordinator role with Gary Player Design, where I was basically on site day to day on a on a couple of different projects with them, And that was a wonderful experience because I've that that helped me understand the link between a finished golf course and the just the conceptual planning phase which I had gotten in school, and and it's it's kind of the first stage of it. But the really important stuff is what happened in the field. That's where I've fell in love with construction. And and then UH after the second that the second in last project I did it was with Player in the field was a really neat golf course up in Cranebrook, British Columbia called Wildstone and worked with their UH senior designer on that project, guy named Jeff Lawrence. Learned a ton from Jeff and and Frank and against the other the other designer there, but Jeff and I for Players the main people of all that project. And that was a really a really great experience. But it was one that UH was touched short by the recession, and it did eventually get finished and is now opened. That I had to move home and and came back to Chattanooga, and I was determined not to give up on my dream, and I formed King College Golf Course Design with my good friend and now business partners had King And so I think that CAT I think of it's a great team where our skills, you know, our our skill sets compliment one another really well. And I wanted to do design build like the work I always wanted to be on on my own. That was always my vision. I actually remember when I interviewed with Player, I said something really stupid at hindsight, got there all. The president of Gary Player Design asked me what my long term plans were, and I told him that I wanted to be out on my own eventually, which is really funny thinking back on it. I mean, I can't believe I said that. I mean, usually you would keep a little stuff like that, like she would go in to that interview and be like, I want to work for Gary Player for the rest of my life, which I mean, I was extremely honored to even be sitting in that room at their office and call me Scarves. That was a really really big deal for me, right out of ground to it, and I was, you know, God's a great guy. I mean, I love all those guys. But it's funny thinking back on that that I was so determined to make the name for myself that I have blurted that out and interviewed and that was in a way the recession was the thing that was not in a way, it did force my hand. It forced me to go on, which is where I always wanted to be. So had those of us through a couple of years of tell of not being involved in of course, architecture at all while the economy sort of stabilized and and then we got Lusky and had this little nine hole thing follow our lapse, you know, the rest of history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, it's interesting how the universe kind of connects itself. But you know, at the same time, I think as a you know, an employer's got like when people want to you know, do great things and want to build a brand of their own to a certain extent, you know, when you're hiring a you know, entry level early employee, you want to hear motivation rather than somebody that just you know, wants to be around the office and you know, slowly working their way up. You know. So I think it could go either way, and lustily for you, it went the right way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I am lucky that. I mean, maybe Scott I thought that was funny and it kind of laughed off, or maybe he saw to that as being someone who was motivated to do a great job and could benefit their their organization. I don't never actually talked to Scott about that. Never even really I've ever mentioned that to anybody. I've talked to my wife about it. I mean, tell was that thing. But you know that's that's just where my mind was. I always wanted to be all biled. I really really really want it to have a my own branch file boy. That was always really important. And we were so lucky to get just a questionriality job. I mean it was although I will say Gary speaking a Gary player, he has a great quote which is the harder I worked, the luckier I guess. So we all we did make our own luck, and we put ourselves in a position to get lucky. But in many many ways we were lucky too. Not only did we get the project, but one thing we were extremely lucky with was our our client, the concrete manufacturer out of South Pittsburgh and Chattdigger area, and they had this old golf course that they wanted too to redo and and Reece Thomas By my client was a great guy and uh his he just totally trusted us and to be to have someone right out of the vat right out of the gate. Trust you in the way that Reese trusted me and had is rare. I mean, we could have had somebody that our first client, who shot down all of our wild ideas. Because if Sweeten's COVID is, it's not normal. I mean, it's far from it.
Speaker 1: And it's very.
Speaker 2: It's extremely bold. And you know, we were walking, we were walking a very fine line, and there was this hairy line to walk during construction to go through all that, and but you know, Reese was the was the rock and he he really believed that what we were doing was special, that it was right, and that's that's pretty remarkable. I mean, that's the total saught stuff. I mean, you hear stories about other people who first clients or don't trust something necessarily and you know, put too many restrictions on the reefs. Let us do our thing, and and that that was huge and that's why Sweetens Go. That's a big part of the reason why sweets Go turned out so well. So, you know, to the point about Sweden's being bold, it is it is certainly that. And I had some I had some sleepless nights during construction wondering, you know, do we push it too far and and that's was something that I've just kind of always wanted to guard against. I mean, I knew, I knew I wanted to do something bold. I wanted to do I wanted to do something unique, and I'm and I knew that there was a line there, but where exactly that line is is open to interpretation. And if I had not been on site every single day, the balloon that was we Cove, of the helium balloon could have become untethered from the from the ground, from it's boring and thrifts it off into space and kind of evolved into something that was just but not very good. It was not grounded. And that's I think that's what I take the most pride in really about weeks Cove is that it is a really really unique, really really really bold vision, but it does not come unflued from the foundational principles of what a great golf course does and what it should be. And that that was really hard to do because the physical manifestation of those kinds of those architectural ideas that Sweeten Cove are presented in a very unique and different line than most other golf courses. So it's hard to create something that looks can feel so different, that has an extremely bold flavor while keeping it grounded in a stead of you know, five or six or seven key principles and that that was the grind every single day off site, you know, just making sure that all this really whole crazy stuff we were doing wasn't flying into the ether and turning into a giant island craft that was it wasn't instead of they grounded that. That was hard and I'm really really proud of that because we kept it grounded. I mean, Sweeden Cove is grounded in these tried and true principles, but it's expressed in a way that I think is really unique. And that was my goal going in. That was hard to achieve, but I think we did this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that where you know, architecture can go wrong. And I think one of the things I loved about Sweens coach so much was the you know, the general idea of with off the tee that kept everybody in the in the ball game, but then taking you know, our a established you know green complex because in principles like you know, the first green for everybody that you know hasn't played there is a really cool it's got a a it's a short part five, so it's reachable in two. But you have a really interesting green complex that's on the left side, got a redan kind of kicker in and then you and then on the right side of the green is a punch bowl. So you get these interesting blends that are very is, very boldly contoured. But the architecture goes back to the Golden Age principles. And I think, you know, and i'd be interest to hear your take, is, you know, my general you know philosophy of where golf course architecture went wrong during this dark age that we were in for you know, the forties through the you know, early sixties, is that people trying to reinvent the wheel as opposed to you know, taking making small tweaks to the tried and true principles. So I'd love to hear how you draw on, you know, those Golden Age architects and the and the great architects of even today for inspiration when you go into your and do your design.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's that's that's an interesting, uh area to dig into it. I mean, I think I think the first so I think the first question was where did it go wrong? And how do you avoid that? I mean, you know, the Golden Age architect you know kind of all were focused on strategic principles. They were you know, they were interested in creating a canvas that had variety strategy work, you know, interesting bold features that were unique in their own rights, that that were at the same time kind of grounded and some of the kind of foundational principles that that you learned from the best courses of Great Britain, Ireland and the golf stage. Architects by a large weren't afraid to try new things, to do bold, interesting work, to do working things. And I think that one of the things has golf shifted kind of post war was that golf became very much in its creation and its presentation architect quick doing interesting, bold thing they they I think part of that is because it was you know, closely tied to housing and other real estate based interest that did not have golf as the central interest. But golf was instead an amenity. And if you view golf as an aminity as a side show, it's easier to create. So basically just uh, for the lack of a better word, template holes that are you know, just just completely bland, not like a templet all intensive brainer, but just if you're just repeating the same ideas over and over, like I'm gonna put a put a bunker on the inside of this dog leg here, and then man, it's a green, there's gonna be a bunker on the left, a bunker on the right. Okay, we'll move on to the next one. And so I think that that just became the just a very common way to do it. And there was an obsession as well with fairness, which is just so stupid. It's not part of golf. People became obsessed with fairness and having every single thing visible out in front of them. You know, they just golf just drifted away from from the lessons of the old course and and the you know, the things that the the great architects with the golf age where we're into and and so it's it's just really, uh, there was just a lot of really really bad golf course still and and I think it was hard to break out of that. Then you know, along came he Die, and all of a sudden, there's this wild guy who's doing all this amazing, fold interesting work that's based on strategic principles and he certainly had a lot of player and was doing all kinds of things that were you know, in the spirit of the golden age of you know, great brend in Ireland. And so you know that you can look into the farther into the modern era and you know who worked for he died a still poor is Tom Doak. And you know the leaders of the last twenty five years or directed that with his his vision and his greatness. And you know that there's been some incredible golf courses built in the last you know, in the early nineties, and and I think that people have been getting obviously and I think people don't realize, but that have been getting back to those kind of four principles and ideas and thoughts and there's more artistry or or or interesting things going on in architecture. And it's it's it's a relief.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. So do you see kind of the interest in golf course of course architecture from the general golfer increasing since you've got it back into the field or has it kind of remained the same or you know what, what have you seen from kind of golf course architecture becoming more mainstream.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely becoming more mainstream. But you know, the patrons saying of golf course architecture is this patizer and you know, he's built these defically successful developments and that's what he's done. Stand Indus in particular has had a huge ripple effect throughout the golf world. And I think that, you know, he alone has helped create an awareness of what what good architecture is. Even if people don't you know, have a interested there maybe some sort of passing interests and at least they they may not understand why they like what they like or they they they may not be able to carry a discussion on about it, but they can they're at least aware of it. And that's a change. And so I think that, you know, I think that there is there is a higher degree of interest in architecture, and especially you know, due to the wonders of the Internet. Just spoken with with this about Adam Lawrence, the the great British golf writer on a number of occasions. You know, Adam said to me one time, He's like, Rob, I really think that somebody one you know, one day is going to ride a write a book on golf batlest and in the impact that the UH brands site. You know it's had on the world, and you know he has been cow and Dar had a just a massive impact on UH the golf golf course architecture and the the spread of interest in is the subject of architecture. I mean, Golf of Batists has started in the sometime in the nineties and it's just continued to grow. And it is, how really I think, a pretty major force in in the golf world. It's just large and and that's because you know, the thoughtful discussions, incredible force reviews, that in depth reviews that ran put up, and it's made a lot of people aware in pluting myself of what what's good, what's not good? Why is it good? It's a really it's an amazing resource of anyone can access this. So I think there's a few two things that have gone off the last twenty years. Did it really help shine the ladle architecture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I remember when I was in my early twenties, I would I would read, you know, for hours on golf course architecture just about you know, if I was going to go visit a different city, you know, where to play and why to play there. I think that's the the general you know is basically, you know, getting to a point where you're trusting people because of you know, you know, I trust this person's opinion. And I think we've seen that with Yelp and golf courses are just you know, kind of a little bit slower. It's tough because you know, in order to formulate an opinion, there needs to be some sort of you know, that's a good opinion of the architecture. There has to be some sort of understanding of architecture, which we're getting there. I think more and more U people read and understand it and you know, go to golf club batlets. The better you know recommendations people are going to get when they go on a golf trip to random city autely.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think that's the Frida Egg. I mean, you know, you have a relatively new class war, but it's growing, and you know, your focus on architecture is important. And I think that if you're exposing more people to you know, some of the basic ideas that once what architecture is all about, and you're showing people to the link between the game itself and the architecture and how you know. I think I'm putting works in your mouth, but I think you would agree that there's a a sense that if you understand architecture, you're actually going to enjoy the game more. It's going to be a richer experience, can be more fun. Yeah, I think, And I think that's you know, part of what's what you've done, and it's growing. I mean, it's that's right, It's right for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think in general, I think you know golf course architecture and understanding of golf courses, you're going to enjoy the game more. You're going to play more golf at better golf courses. It doesn't mean that the golf courses are more expensive, but it's a matter of finding, you know, these kind of hidden gems that were designed by great architects that you know they might not be in perfect condition, like you're two hundred dollars around, you know, nineteen eighty five designed Tom Fazio course, but they are going to be playable, fun, present unique options. The biggest thing I see is, you know, the more you understand architecture, the more it helps your golf game. I've seen my game get better just from understanding, you know, holes. A good example would be I was playing the mid am and my last hole of my first round, I was I was kind of hanging on to a round and I was five over going into the you know, the ninth hole at Stonewall's Old Course, which is like a two hundred and twenty yard where dan hole over water. And I looked at it and this wind is just it's blowing, and I'm like, I don't have two twenty in the air. So you know, I hit, I hit my fore iron and I got it to just catch that front right kicker and it rolled down to seven feet from the hole because I knew the principles of the hole. And I think that's that's where you know, people can understand strategy and where to miss their shots, and their scores are only going to get better and better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. I mean, if you're playing a golf course where strategy was a part of the design and construction process, understanding strategic principles and and everything, you know just gonna you're gonna fare better and you're gonna you're gonna do a better job. I mean I see that out as Sweeten Cove, there's a guy who comes out all the time and he's a he's a great guy. He is what I was call a kind of a lifelong you know, public golfer in Chattanooga which came to hasn't really ever played anything interesting for the most part. But it's not a knock on him. That's just reality. But he when he comes out to Sweden's Cove, it's his favorite golf course. And yeah, he talks to me and he I mean, he doesn't read golf book at once. He doesn't. He doesn't five books about architecture when he sits there and talks to me about how he has to think his way around the course and the places he needs to be into places he can't be, and how he likes to gocause he has more options, and how he can hit different shots. He is saying things that to me that you know, you would hear from somebody who's a contributor on Golf Club outlest He doesn't have any background in architecture, and he's just a guy who's observit and thoughtful and he gets it, understands it, and it's just self talked, purely self taught from being able to come out and play there and so and it's and he's gotten he's a lot better player now than he was before he started coming out. He's think he could play around for And that's I think that's pretty cool. And I think architecture can have that impectful people. I mean, that's that example right there is the proof of him.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you a question. As an architect, how does you know, say you go play, you know, a new golf course, how do you like, how do you look at a golf course different than say an average golf band or a you know, even a you know, a semi knowledgeable architecture ban. How how does like somebody that knows the deep intricacies look at it differently?
Speaker 2: Is it? You know? Well, I think you know one thing that may be different in the way I look at it, and just say, your your casual architecture ban or your your golf club at list poster? Is that you know? I think I have a really good understanding of the construction process, how things happen, and I can look at things and sort of tell right off the bat, you know what was going on, what was going on there, what was going on here and there? And you can kind of see, you know, we're where where mistakes were made if there are in fact were mistakes, but the negative comment or or maybe you you know, if it's a positive thing, you can see where they've paid maybe paid some extra attention and and you know, made a good tie into a slope and created some interest, you know, in an area. A perfect example is by my sister in law is a member of the course in Wellesley, Massachusetts, cause the Hoos it's an old Styles and van fleet and they were, you know, really really good Golden Age architect and and I went and walked around the golf course one time with her, and you know, call after Hall. It's a nine hole golf course that he could use a great he could do an incredible restoration there. But these kind of Golden Age principles are there on the ground. They didn't move much dirt at all, but you can tell by the way the golf courses routed that somebody who knew what they were doing did it. And this is before I knew that it was the styles of the bank Cleekue like those the things. The hole that I always remember up there as the eighth hole, is this some short par three maybe a hundred and forty hundreds of the yards or something like that, and it plays over this bridge line that kind of plants from high on the left to low on the right, so it kind of cuts across your visibility as the hole in a diagonal way. In a large portion of the green is actually blind. In other parts of the green, you just kind of catch a little glimpse of the flag stick. And that's just the landform that's been there for thousands of years. And they just routed. They did a good job routing the golf course, and they stuck the screen pine and it's just imensely entertaining. Part three. And when I saw that, I was like, Okay, somebody really clever is I mean, this is an awesome hall, and you know, little things like that might be lost on your your casual servers and other things where you know, people you know, go to that two hundred dollars around resort course. I think it's just amazing. If you sit there and you look at some of the construction and how lazy it was, it just just kind of discussed you and you know, so you wonder how they get off target that much money, and do you think about, well, it's all about marketing and bossy brochures a lot of times, and you know, resumation do not, may not be well aren't. So you kind of see under the you know, a different level of it.
Speaker 1: I think so with you being kind of more of a boutique architecture firm, you know, how is the the toughest thing getting in the conversation with these bigger name brands like say, you know, a Gary Player design or a Nickolace designer even nowadays, like a dope renaissance golf design is really the first and the big biggest hurdle just gang your name and in the mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is, it definitely is it. You know, when case Tad and I started as King Collins in two thousand and ten and before before we have any projects. And the thing that we just kept telling each other was if we could just keep one project in the ground during the recession, just one, we can prove to everyone what we're capable of, and we can take that and build on that and we'll we'll actually end up being way ahead of a lot of other people because number one, it's gonna be extremely hard to build golf during the recession. There's not gonna be much built, and we believe in ourselves. We believe that what we come out with will be good enough that we can can build a career on that. We can point to that as a example in the ground, real life example of our methodology, in our in our possible architecture and construction. So we how would you think very very much was that in getting that with was huge? And now we can point to that and say, look, we we went head to head with you know, one of the biggest things in golf, and hey, we can do it as well as anybody, and we've got fruits, So that's a lot.
Speaker 1: How would you say that you guys, as a brand, differentiate yourselves from you know, I know architecture. I think of it kind of as an art because everybody's interpretation of the land sight is going to be different. But you know, when it comes down to, you know, what am I getting with King Collins that you know is going to be different and unique? What's kind of you guys? Are philosophies that are uh, you know, your core differentiators from everybody else?
Speaker 2: Well, there aren't many companies out there that do you know the design built that I mean, we found it that we looked at, you know, well, what are the best golf courses in the world have been built in the last twenty five years, but every single one of them been built you think of a design build model, and and so we founded our company on that. On that basis, we think that it's far and away the best way to do it. You can keep cost down while you know, providing it is hugely interesting. Uh, you know, features and are artistically constructive, uh, features for the golf court. And as far as you know, how how we may be different, you know, I don't think that at least at this point in time, that anybody can match our our our costs and what we're going what what we're going to deliver. You know, Tat and I are going to be on site majority of the process, all the way through. And that's the level of attention to detail and getting personalized features built into the course that it's just it is is a very rare thing. And and I also think that Sweetens Cove shows that, you know, we're willing to incapable of doing some some things that have a have a really fresh take on architecture. And then you know, thirdly, I think sweet and co uh shows that we are deeply passionate about what we do. And I don't think that there's well, I know that there's there's nobody else in the world who would have done the things that I've done to get that golf course off the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have been through helen back for a nine hole golf course in a floodplain in Tennessee. Okay, nobody is gonna match that. I don't think anybody can match that level of passion that in that drive. You just there's nobody out there that that you can can say that they they they would have done when I've when I missed that course. And that's why Sweet Go is as good as it is. It's because we infused it with all of these little details. We never gave up. It's got the soul and the spirit to it. This energy. This is a result of all of the energy that was put into it, and most people don't know. You know, the whole story is Sweet Go. I mean, I think Jason's interview does a good job with it. But the long and short of it is is that the you know, the golf course was left for dead in twenty thirteen. I took it over made. It's a good passive personal risk to take it over on a long term lease. Reclaimed this from what was quickly becoming a patch of weeds, got it open. It's been a flavor of love and in a passion project from from day one. And and it was like that, you know, all the way through construction. I mean, we've been over backwards for that for this place. And I just I just if you're asking what what would we do differently than anyone else, nobody, there is nobody that is going to bring the level of passion and attention to detail and the hired to use the golf course that you characteristics in the way that we do. And and furthermore, they can't do it for the price that we can do it for we can. We can. Nobody in the world can build golf is inexpensively to as high of a degree of quality of We've proved that a sweep and I'll take that to my great fact.
Speaker 1: That's uh, that's a good sales fish is chief and really really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I'm this is gonna sound cocky as hell, but it's the truth. Whoever hires us for a great piece of land is going to hit the damn jackpot. I am so ready to bust out of this cage. Whoever gets me next is going to get this fucking wild demon who is gonna make them the hell of a lot of money. I am just so determined right now to build an unbelievable golf course. I know I've got it in me. I've got this unbelievably intense, burning desire to do it. And if somebody gives us a great piece of land, they're going to get something absolutely incredible. I mean, we turned a dead flat, blood playing sack of ship golf course on seventy two acres into parbuably. You know, the best golf course that's not whole golf course in the United States, I think the best golf course of Tennessee. I think it's better than the Honors Course ran Horse. I think better than the Honored course. Mm hm, that's that's a pretty amazing accomplishment. Really. Yeah, again, I realized that sounds horribly obnoxious for me to be two and mild part like that, But it's a it's a fact. I mean, if you can prove it, if you can do it, it's not not ragging. It's just being factful.
Speaker 1: My baddy is you know, joke around with me. I talk about Sweden's coach so much that they say I'm like the president of the fan club, So I know how it's a It's a terrific course. And anybody that's spent uh, you know, a day golfing with me probably heard at least five things about Sweden's coke. So hey, I you know, I wanted to get to some Twitter questions. We've got a lot of them, and some really good ones that I think are going to have some some lengthy responses. If so, thanks for everybody that sent them in here. And first we've got Simon Haynes, who's an excellent follow. Rob and I were actually talking about how thoughtful he is, and he asked the question, are we in slash entering a new golden age of golf course architecture and if so, what's the driving change?
Speaker 2: I will echo your comment about names. I think he's one of the most interesting guys on Twitter. Obviously a really sharp, fun guy. I mean that was anyone who listens to this podcast, I would definitely follow him. He's a lot of fun, a lot of great content out of his Twitter handle. That's that's an awesome question, you know, right obviously, Mike Kaiser, Tom Doe and core Crenshaw or the triumvirates that are largely responsible for ushering in a renaissance for the last betteral parts a little nod that is Tom business there. But you know, like I said earlier in the discussion, Mike, Mike Kaiser is the patron's saying of foder scisstic architecture. And he's told the record is thinking he's gonna build continue to build golf for as long as he lives. And I suspect that, you know, barring any unforeseen circumstances, has done well, will carry that to work. So there's some people that deserve tremendous nun respect for the current renaissance. And I think Simon may be alluding to kind of at least my pack on it. It is almost a sub renaissance to what's going on a second, you know, period of exciting work, and to that, I would say, I think that there is and I think that it is related to My opinion is that it is related to the procession and the recession stuck. But the recession also gave me a chance, and it also gave a lot of other talented people a chance, and it also is forcing a lot of the bluff and unnecessary golf golf courses to be flushed down the toilet where they belonged. And it is also forcing clients in the future, current clients, clients who might be people in the future building golf to look really hard if what's important and what's necessary, and to do things more efficiently. You know, the days of the really massive, overflown, bloated budgets that the contributed to this, you know, really boring set of homogenous golf courses. I think those days are thankfully behind this course. There will still be bad golf courses still in the future, but they'll be fewer and far between. I think that, you know, the focus on doing things efficiently and doing things well can forge a new renascence for the lack of the better word going forward. And I think that I think that that's that's happening, and I think that there there's people like us out there who are who are taking part in it, who are who can do things sufficiently to a very high degree of quality, and that's just going to be more good golf and a good pride that's good for the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you see a lot less. I want to build a golf courses just as a general is. I want to build a great golf course, which has helped a ton and kind of change the thought. You know, I think quality over quantity is what the recession kind of ushered in because less people are trying to build golf courses and therefore, you know, the smaller pool of architects is a better pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. That that's that's just that that is. That's exactly it.
Speaker 1: So this one's from Trevor Dharmer, who's a fellow architect.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a very close friend of mine, really great guy, one of my best friends.
Speaker 1: He wants to know, what's the most interesting natural feature that you've seen that you'd like to incorporate on your next course.
Speaker 2: Well when I saw that question, Trevor, it reminded me of an ill stated project that he and I were both going to be involved with called the Montange Club. And that was a really cool project that never came off in Bernie Bruce, Columbia, which that would have been the big one if it had happened for us, but it didn't. Our clients decided to plant community gardens and stuff like that, which in the Canadian Rockies is like plaining grizzly bear food instead of building a great golf course. But whatever. On that golf course, there were these really cool washes, like these old you know, areas where water had drained for thousands and thousands of years, and it created these really neat contours and they were all completely playable, and we were on the second hole there there are these gifts in the ground. It was kind of like if you've ever played pasta tempo like some of the really great contours that you see on that golf course that are those natural swales that Mackenzie incorporated into some of the holes there. And we were actually going to build a green through one of the natural swales, and it would have been really an incredible grain. I mean, it was probably the bottom of the swale was probably six and a half seven feet below natural grade. But we were going to just build the grain right into it and have a you know flatch on the back, flatch on the front in abile area down there at the bottom. And I wish that had happen. I think that's really incorporating eight natural drainage washes. That would be it would be really fun. I've been a love to do something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll include on our on the on the website, on the podcast stage, the link to your plan for the Montane Club. It's really cool. I took a look at it. I spent way too much time reading it. But for all you know, kind of architecture geeks, it's it's a fun thing to kind of look through what could have been.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So up next we got forrest. And do you try and avoid building first holes that face east or finishing holes that face west. That's kind of a you know, a general old principle.
Speaker 2: Because you know, I mean, yeah, sure I think that, I think that ideally, you definitely, you know, you you'd want to be careful with that and didn't want to avoid that situation. But you know, if the land dictates certain things, I mean sometimes you know, you're almost always going to have to make concessions kind of one one form or another, uh, in order to make the routing work. And you know, if you've got a great routing, but that's your one concession, I mean I would make it. I mean, I'm not going to build a a less good hole just because of the sunrise or where the sun sets. I mean, you wouldn't want to use kind of an absolute in other words, you know what I'm saying. You could, you would want to try to avoid it. But if you can't, You've got a great golf hole and a great routing. You're not going to destroy that build a less good golf hole just because of the where the stunt rising are studying. That's what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's but.
Speaker 2: You're taking into consideration, but you're not going to It's not going to be a black or white issue.
Speaker 1: Trying to say this one's from goes to Hogan. Can new golf courses be built to speed up play or is that on the golfer?
Speaker 2: That's ah, I love that question. I think golf courses can absolutely be built to improve be the play. In fact, that just did a master plan for Sickle Mountain Golfing country Club, which is of course I grew up playing as a kid, and there are huge log jam issues on the back nine, and I think that our plan addresses of and if fact golf course gets built in the way that that we designed it, which I hope it will. I think that rounds will go just there from being you know, four kind of four and a half plus hours logs to you know ones where you can get around in two and a half hours. It's like fly around the course because of how we did it, how we opened it up. I dressed a lot of the flow issues, the connectivity between halls. So absolutely, I mean, I think that's a that has to be considered. And I would encourage people to look at that Sickle Mountain plan and I talked about the flow of the golf courses there. It's very important.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah. I think with too. You know, as Mackenzie wrote tirelessly about you know, the golfers shouldn't be looking for the gospel.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if if you had your pick of grasses and turf conditions for an ideal course, what would they be? And this is from Lincoln.
Speaker 2: Duh Uh you gotta go. You gotta go with the classic uh, firm and fast, uh best view. I can go back to the Mons tank cluff. We were actually gonna do it. We were gonna do better few fairways there and we would have had we would have done Bence Green, which which under proper management, can be extremely firm and fast. The best greens I've ever played in my life. U were at San Hill that's just past summer, but the summer before that, I mean the greens were so firm, it's so good. It was ridiculous. I mean that they were unbelievable him And you know with with super fast tight surrounds and the fairways the best you can deliver you both both down real tight, man, So you can't that's the best mm hmm. Yeah, we got to get that. We try to get that as tweets go. I mean four nineteen Bermudo you can go real low with it and we get it. We get a firmit fast there. I mean that's a lot of fun too. I mean it's it's a good it's a good uh you know, representation of it mm hmm. And our diperintendent gets those greens fast and not the speed is all the better that there's you know that they're they're firm and that they roll out they play well. So I mean you can do it on warm season gratch to too. But if you just got to have the right people in place to deliver it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and then it's I think you guys did as a. I mean my experience at Swings Code of course is in perfect shape. So I hear it, it's only gotten better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, bread's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: So we're going to go into a little bit of a rapid fire and your buddy Riley has got the first question here. Have you ever had poutine?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? You can't live a year and a half in Canada not get the national dishe you know, So SE's the bomb Absolutely came about one hundred pounds in a two hours sitting. But you know the core of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, who's the best architect that most people have never heard of? And this can be Golden Age or modern.
Speaker 2: I don't know. The one that pops out to me that nobody's really overheard of is av Thecan. You know he did some really great stuff. I mean he loved why corridor strategy. Kad McCann did a lot of the strategy at cal Clove, and McKenzie did a couple of degrees and the bunkering. But you know, the lion's share of the strategy and the with and everything is calp Club, which happens to be one of my absolute favorite places on the planet. Is does Av the can. I mean, how many people have heard of that guy? And he I have.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna google them after this.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's fatass.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what is the one public course and one private course that are kind of like next on your list of places to check out that you haven't checked out that you're really excited about seeing.
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, well, I've kind of got an open invitation of Prairie Dunes, which I'm super excited about, so that that is the way way up the list. I really want to see the Old Town. I'm extremely intrigued by what poor Frenshaw did there. I know they didn't have a slutely amazing job with that, So I can't wait to be Old Town. I know, I'm kind of shooting and gifting more one, but definitely excited about Fairy Day.
Speaker 1: What about the public.
Speaker 2: Probably h I'll tell you one off the top the bat. He goes back to something early in the conversation about three places off the beat half the beat, the fants off of a lot of the other fancy stuff. This placed by friend Reeve's Milliken found called Eagle Springs Resort in Wisconsin. Yeah. Oh, the pictures look in same Oh yeah, it's like the Army did an LSD experiment, gave the designer of the massive and telling him to go out the time of golf course. I mean, it's crazy, but it looks absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it yet, and it's been on my short list, and you know, one of my buddies went out. I mean they have like and for those that I haven't, you should google Eagle Springs Volcano Green and it's.
Speaker 2: One of the most.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, yeah, that's it's on my list and I'm kind of ashamed I haven't seen it. It's in my backyard.
Speaker 2: So oh well, maybe Chicago after spring and we'll go play this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, we'll play a few places if you do that. All right, So how about Mount Rushmore? So four architects living or dead? Who are who is on your Mount Rushmore?
Speaker 2: Well, you gotta have the kind.
Speaker 1: If they're a duo, they go as one.
Speaker 2: With the duo, you gotta go with one.
Speaker 1: No, no, they go in as one.
Speaker 2: I'll go go in at one. M Well, you gotta go with the Kinz. I mean I think she's have to also go with old Tom that would be kind of silly to put him there living. I mean, you've gotta give a NodD to you know, Court Crenshaw. I mean, they're absolutely at the top of the game, and they deserve to be. They're they're absolutely on fire. They turn out one great golf course after another billboard if they Crenshaw both or both architects, and they have phenomenally talented people working for them, they've just got to awesome just about and and Fred guys on top of that. So you gotta gotta go with that. Uh, And then you know, I would say, uh, maybe cult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got a lot of really good courses across the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's such a tough question, and you're really splitting hairs, But I mean, I think, god this, of course, I think you can also make a really strong argument for Pete Die as well, because you know, I would replaced I almost put Pete Dial there is the poor really because he really brought modern architecture out of adult Rum and that's an incredible service to the world of golf. And it took a hell of a lot of boldness and brilliant and everything else to do what he did. So I was, you know, the Kims the old time. That's a good, that's a pretty good, that's a pretty solid lift. And then of course it's kind of cool that if you put the down there, then you've got Cork f Renshaw there. And I'm you know, I was talking to Bill Score a couple of months ago about working him working with me Di. I mean that's the direct link. So I think that's a kind of an inn well intertwined list.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, absolutely, five the.
Speaker 2: Modern masters and disputed champions right now at Cort Frindshaw if he died too, helped get up there, and then he withdrew from Old Tom and the Kissie And yeah, I think that's the list.
Speaker 1: Old Tom was the original guy that everybody drew from exactly. Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then uh, let's say top your your five favorite It doesn't mean you're top, but your favorite five golf courses that you've.
Speaker 2: Played Old Course, Uh, Sork Barrack, Uh, Pinehurst number two, Uh, sand Hills, sand Hill definitely ay, and I think Santels is the fourth to us. I think you probably have a good national golf link. M h.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, good, pretty good.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Last question, if if you could redo one thing one thing you did at Sweeten's co What would it be? And how often do you think about that?
Speaker 2: Say other great questions, and it's something we talk about and every now and again. The one thing that would change about sweet Ago is rather than having individual chi boxes, I would have flowed everything from built basically just a little flat spots in the fair way. It has little flat spots all over the place. Ye have a bunch of different angles, and we we as much as we could in the confines of the routing that that we can. We tried to build the tees perpendicular to the line of play as much as possible to get those different angles. Like the poor Tea box is a perfect example of that. The space allowed us to do that, and so getting variety in the T box was important. But we could have gotten even more if I had just had kind of a free flowing tea box, kind of like what we designed at the Contank Club, where you just put a peg in the ground wherever you find a flat spot. And you know, that would have I think that would have I would have liked that. And you know, who knows, maybe one day we'll know everyone day will change that, but not not in the foreseeable future. But that that's something that I would like to see. It doesn't. I don't walk around and go, God, I really screwed that up. I was a huge mistake or anything, but it's something I would would I would be happy to be changed. The other thing I actually I will say one quick thing that I absolutely want to change it, and I could change just the short term without a huge amount of work, is on the Radan hole built the nice hole in sweet and Scope. There's a little pocket of a bunker behind the green, and my intention when we built that golf hole was for there to be an equal percentage chance of being able to play it up the right side, like with a five iron, for instance, and have it loop pard and turn left and lay dead as the whole far left side. And it's a it's just as equally as good of a chance that that shot happening is flying at dead at the hall with sand pitching wed or a nine iron. And right now it's a little bit out of balance in that too many balls collecting that bunker behind the green. I would still in this one little pocket of the bunker, it's about twenty feet wide, can turn that into a fairway ramp that would help direct more balls down to that left side. I just I missed that a little bit. I mean, that's just one of those details that's just it kind of slipped past me. I mean, I thought that what we had in the ground was gonna turn balls harder than it did, and it turns them, but just the margin of error is more finite than I had tipped. Because you can do it. I wanted to be. I wanted to be an easier shop to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine I, at least I would be. I'd be a big second. I don't think I could make it as an architect. I'd just be I'd be afraid to pull the trigger on a hole. I'd be like, I don't think that this is gonna work. You know, I'd be in the I'd be in the drawing face for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you never know, man, that might be the trick.
Speaker 1: But hey, I really appreciate the time, Rob. I want to get you out of here and and and this, and I think we're right a little over an hour so but you know, we'll definitely have to have you on again. I hope people like this look into architecture a little deep. Dive. If so, let us know. We'll do more architect podcast and architecture based podcast. But Rob really appreciate the time and thanks for coming on.
Speaker 2: It is awesome to be on. Andy. Thank you so much for your support a week ago and for the platform today. I had a blast talking about it. Thanks a lot.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks a lot.
Speaker 2: Rob. We'll talk to you soon, all right, buddy, see you